Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're gonta running back to.
Speaker 4: Get in on the show called eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seven day, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch short podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vasse.
Speaker 5: Last Day.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vasse with you until nine o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. After the Dodgers dropped the final game of this four game series five to two to the Padres, who snap their season long eight game losing streak, but are still a game under five hundred and are now fourteen games back of the Dodgers in the NL last eight six six nine, eight seven two five seven is the phone number. The Padres and Diamondbacks are both fourteen games back of the Dodgers in the NL West. The Dodgers fifty nine to thirty two and still have not played an extra innings game so far this season. That's ninety one games to open up the year without playing extra frame. So there's that little side note to all this as well. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: Later in the show, we'll check in with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: You'll hear from Edwin Diaz, who faced hitters for the first time since going on the il after having surgery to remove those loose bodies in his right pitching arms. So we'll hear from the Dodgers closer about how he felt today and when he may return. Also, we'll get to the birthday Boys show. Hey Otani, he was back in the starting lineup tonight. He was one for three with an RBI in the seventh inning. He turns thirty two today, and will get into how the Dodgers may manage Otani the rest of the season. I have my thoughts, want to hear yours eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. But let's talk about one of the personal sides of this game tonight, and that was late Eliza Alfonso, who got his start today behind the plate.
Speaker 3: He got called up.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, making his major league debut tonight, and hours before he took the field, he got the unfortunate news that, yes, his sixteen year old sister and his stepmom were found today in Venezuela, but they were found dead, and that is a crushing blow to him, to his dad, and to his entire family. And then here he was tonight making his major league debut, achieving his dream, not only the dream he had, but even possibly the dream that his sixteen year old sister was telling him about before those massive earthquakes in Venezuela. We had a chance to talk to Eliza Alfonso yesterday before the game to hear his journey and his thoughts. Yesterday you could find it on the iHeartRadio app, but he caught up with reporters after tonight's game as well, walked us.
Speaker 6: Through kind of what today was like and what went into your process of deciding.
Speaker 2: Is so flick.
Speaker 7: The very well he loai, I mean momentous, deficial, but like I said, yeah.
Speaker 8: Just a really tough day, you know, tough day for me and my family. Obviously things are out of our control. I was very grateful and thankful to God for the opportunity to make my debut and play in this game, but obviously things didn't go well baseball, But yeah, all overall, just a very difficult day. Just you.
Speaker 9: Listen today what we kind of screamed on.
Speaker 7: Link Yea, Venezuela. One of you that make me know?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 10: I just.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was talking to my dad and my brother in Venezuela. Obviously, my agent, my my girlfriend are here and they've been helping me through this, just trying to navigate through this whole day, and and they've been just kind of telling me, you're asking me to enjoy the moment, enjoy this time, and just kind of processing that. But I've had great support from my teammates as well ever since I got here yesterday.
Speaker 3: How do you have to honor your family going forward?
Speaker 7: Jo shimpre.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just going out there and doing the best Liken, you know, just remembering how my sister supported me, and how her dream was to watch me play in these games or playing the big leagues, and just hearing her screams or hearing her cheers, just something that's going to keep me pushing forward.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: There's Eliza Alfonso, the Dodger rookie who made his major league debut tonight catching Emma Sheen and unfortunately lost his sixteen year old sister and his stepmom who are found today in Venezuela after those horrific earthquakes over the magnitude of seven point zero seven point one.
Speaker 3: Just horrible, horrible situation.
Speaker 2: There, and our thoughts and prayers are with Eliza and his family and of course everyone in Venezuela who are still going through all that. It's not something that just happens overnight. This is going to be a long process for that country, and our thoughts and prayers go out to all of those people. Like I mentioned last night on Dodger Talk, Miguel Rojas actually played with Alfonso's dad in Venezuela and explain to me how Alfonso's dad, Eliza Senior, is a legend baseball legend in Venezuela. And also the fact that Rojas knows the family is a good thing for Alfonso right now to have him and have his locker right next to Miggi's. And if you saw the broadcast tonight, Rojas had something written on his cap for the Alfonso family, and so did Eliza. So seriously, just an incredible, incredible wave of emotions, and certainly, you know, I can't understand the feelings he had tonight making his major league debut under those circumstances. But he has a good baseball family around him, and it starts with Miguel Rojas.
Speaker 3: Good news.
Speaker 2: Like we mentioned last night, Miguel told me that his wife and kids made it back from Venezuela yesterday morning. They actually had drive five hours to another Venezuelan airport to be able to get a flight to Miami. So they should be or will be on their way to Los Angeles to be with Miguel. So that's a weight off his shoulders that his wife and kids are safe in the United States and they were just a building over from a couple that collapsed when those earthquakes hit. So I'm certainly happy for Miguel Rojas, but right now he has a lot of empathy and sympathy for Alfonso and all the other people in Venezuela who are going through a horrific time after those horrible earthquakes. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, we'll take your phone calls. We'll check in with Jose Mota. You'll hear from Edwin Diaz, and we'll get into how the Dodgers should manage Otani the rest of the first half and the rest of the second half of the season. Dodgers fall to the Padres today, five to two, five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: On air at AM five seventy, online at amfive seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger Talk with David Massy.
Speaker 2: Dodgers fall to the Padres tonight by a final score of five to two. The Dodgers take three out of four from San Diego. The first two games of this series, the Dodgers came back in dramatic fashion. They were down six to nothing in Game one on Thursday and came back to beat San Diego twelve to seven. And then on Friday night, ta Oscar Hernandez Is go ahay grand slam in the seventh inning sunk the Padres. And then last night at jem from Yamamoto, seven shutout innings with ten strikeouts, beat San Diego three to nothing. And today the Padres snapped their eight game losing streak behind Manny Machado's big a three run home run in the seventh inning off of Kyle Hurt put the Dodgers away tonight as they beat LA for the first time in the series five to two. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card, visit AM five to seventy LA Sports dot Com. Use the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Sho Heotani turned thirty two today. He was one for three with an RBI single in the seventh inning, and in his career on July fifth, coming into the game tonight, he was just three for twenty six with one home run. And his next start is scheduled to be on Friday against the Arizona Diamondbacks, and there are some that are believing that the Dodgers and Otani should skip his final start, considering the scare couple nights ago, with him coming out of the game with some bicep tightness and by the way, his right bicep that's his pitching arm, and I would lean to agree with that.
Speaker 3: There's no reason to pitch on Friday. And here's an idea.
Speaker 2: Everybody keeps talking about, Well, the Dodgers don't want to risk him being run down going into October. They should shut him down from pitching completely in the second half of the season.
Speaker 3: Well, here's an idea.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers did a great job last year when he was starting to ramp up, and remember he would make starts for an inning, maybe two innings. Why can't the Dodgers manage it that way? It doesn't necessarily have to be Otani pitching every ten days now instead of once a week. You could still have him pitch once a week and keep everybody on turn and in a routine at least until Blake Snell returns at the end of July or early August, and then you could reassess how o'toni's looking and how the rest of your rotation's looking. But to come out of the gates, I would still have Otani pitch once a week, but you can minimize the number of innings and pitches every start that he's out there. There's no reason to have him try to go seven innings and throw one hundred and ten pitches like he did in his last start, the left knee, the blister, now the right bicep. How about manage the innings for five innings, maybe six if the pitch count is economic enough. But how about do something similar to what the Dodgers did last year and eventually Otani was built up for the postseason. I see no reason why they can't decelerate from him doing what he's doing right now, trying to go into the seventh inning, and that really hasn't happened too often. And look, the reality is Christopher Sanchez and Jacob Mizerowski. If the voting for the cy Young was today, there's a good chance that one of those two guys would beat out Otani for the cy Young. And if that can continues to trend in that direction, maybe Otani recognizes, I'm not gonna win the cy Young this year.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: I've got to do what's best for myself for the postseason and what's best for the team. And I don't see him shutting down from pitching. That just isn't in his DNA. I just feel like the Dodgers and Otani can find some common ground here where he pitches once a week, but there's no reason to push him more than five innings every start. Eight six, six, nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Long Beach, Corey. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 6: Corey. Hey, David, that's a great point with Otani. I agree with you one hundred percent. I hadn't thought of that here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's just a thick outside of the box. Instead of just making a black or white issue where you know, you shut him down or you just have him keep going, or he pitches once every ten days, there's gonna be a lot of rust on him and it throws off the tire rotation if he's pitching just once every ten days.
Speaker 6: So here is my question. I'm I'm livid, I'm upset. I'm not gonna use foul language, but why is my boy Robo not on the All Star team?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know what the players always complain about the players, the fans voting. You know, over the years, I think the players have gotten a lot wrong as well. And I don't know if they weren't paying attention to what Robleski's done. Because I got news for you, Corey. I'm not sure they have the stats on their phone laid out or if they're looking at their laptop. But the reality is five Dodgers kind of hurt Robleski in the initial selection process, I believe. But because ya, I'm amoto likely won't be able to pitch. I'm starting to hear that Misowski the way he's lined up, won't be able to pitch. There may be openings for Robleski to be a laid ad, So I wouldn't give up hope on that.
Speaker 6: They're better be And last thing, God bless the Alfonso family and thank you very much for taking my call.
Speaker 2: All right, Corey, Yeah, that's a good way to end the call. Definitely, we're thinking about the Alfonso family. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number I mentioned. Last night on the show, Dave Roberts talked about Evan Phillips being activated today. Well, I got news for you. Dave Roberts said it's going to be tomorrow. Evan Phillips will be activated tomorrow and will be in the Dodgers' bullpen. So the Dodgers recently got brought Stewart back on the last road trip. They're getting Evan Phillips back tomorrow. And Edwin Diaz through the hitters for the first time. He was in his full uniform earlier today and that was cool to see number three in the home whites getting ready to face hitters, including his buddy Keithy Hernandez.
Speaker 3: And here's what Edwin.
Speaker 2: Diaz had to say about how he felt today and when he may return to close games.
Speaker 9: Feel great, so a little bit hard about finally back on the mount. Throwing feel really good, like throwing good pitches. So it's like good start.
Speaker 2: We keep hearing after the All Star break, But will it be the first game after the All Star break?
Speaker 3: Do you have a sense of when when exactly you'll return?
Speaker 9: Not not really, I just I just know, you know, Azar break start next week, so I start doing rehab assignment, So any any moment after the AZAR break, I hope I can be back with the team. As now, we are on schedule, so everything we go in the posiitic duration, so I can't see them shape measing that the fastball. You know, that's something I couldn't do early in the season because you know it wasn't right now. I just gotta keep throwing right, making pitches, you know, to try to throw my sltterer a little bit more first, right, like I didn't I didn't do it today, But I feel great. My football Shay was good. They give me good feedbacks.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: So Edwin Diaz feeling good about his fastball, still trying to get the field for his slider. And my under standing is Edwin Diaz when he said he should be returning shortly after the All Star break, it likely will not be on that first road trip in New York Philly and New York City Field his own, his old home ballpark. He should be returning towards the end of July early August. So uh, that is encouraging, and he has a lot of life on his pitches. Let's go out to Glendale. Calvin, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Calvin, Hey.
Speaker 5: David, I'm good. I just wanted to talk about Show Hayes managing Show Hayes workload. And I was wondering if you could see them doing a kind of what the Seattle Mariners have been doing, doing like a piggyback start, maybe having like Will Klein or someone pitched the first like one or two innings and then having a Tony comment and take over and that's something you can see.
Speaker 2: But then no, I can't see going that way, Calvin. Remember last year, Otani would start the games, and then a guy like Justin Robleski, who was phenomenal last year piggybacking Otani would be the guy on the back end of games. And that's when Justin Robleski really became a valuable part of the Dodgers' pitching staff because he's so nimble and flexible and versatile to be able to start games or come out of the bullpen as a long man behind an Otani abbreviated start, and he pitched five games in that seven game World Series coming out of the bullpen, didn't give up a single run, including in Game seven. So if the Dodgers were to do a piggyback situation similar to last year, Otani's not going to come out of the bullpen. He's going to start the game. But let's say it's a four inning start, if that's what they settle on, or a five inning start, then somebody would come in after him, But no, Otani would not come in out of the bullpen. You would have him start the game. Because that Otani role starts to get sticky as well. And look, come on, Otani's not coming out to the bullpen for an opener.
Speaker 5: Right, No, yeah, I don't think you'd be about that.
Speaker 3: Well, you suggested that.
Speaker 5: I was just wondering if, like you know, we could see it happen. It seems like it's worked out for the Mariners, but I know some of their pitches haven't been too happy about it too, So I don't know.
Speaker 3: I feel like we talked this out, Calvin.
Speaker 2: I feel like we talked this out and you realize Otani would not go for an opener and that idea probably wouldn't be the solution to managing Otani.
Speaker 3: True, fair enough. Were you at Brand Boulevard? Where are you going? Didn't I funk.
Speaker 4: Me?
Speaker 5: I'm actually doing some deliveries right now.
Speaker 3: All right, be safe out there, Calvin.
Speaker 5: Thanks David, bye, Hi.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't have no opener for Otani. It would be my suggestion would be Otani starts the game and goes five innings. There's no need to push him even to ninety pitches some nights, no need to even push to push him to one hundred pitches. It's about the long game. The Dodgers have a fourteen game lead in the NLS. They don't need Otani to be a hero and go for a complete game. That that's just not in the cards. Eight six, six, seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Padres tonight five to two, but they win three out of four against San Diego and they are returning.
Speaker 3: Down South, sad. Let's go out to Jose Mota.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota, let's start with the birthday boy. What do you believe would be the best way to manage Otani's workload as a pitcher the second half of the season.
Speaker 10: Everything you said there was running the money. It's been done before with previous players, previous pitchers, sometimes on effectiveness or lack of after this six or seventh inning and mold management. I mean, you have to manage Otani differently you do manage anybody else in baseball. We're talking about a guy that needs to have every single moment and minute of his day planned out the way he likes it to be able to perform, and if you really explain it to him and is the right path to take, I am right with you on what they should do. Remember last year there was a change of plans. Altani was in to pitch in early May that would push back ALTONI was throwing full bullpens in the you know spring twenty and twenty twenty five. They pushed him back a little bit. He understood why then instead of throwing all those sim games or you know, live vps against his team, is like, why don't we just take that into the game and save those arm well litsten and get me back in mentality of attacking. So, yeah, David makes a lot of sense. It makes a lot of sense to go out there and just manage him. Understand that body needs obviously a little bit more rest. Nowadays, he's full board with everything that goes on. The saw Young talked is great. That takes a secondary face to me and show he needs to understand that, you know, whatever they do, and hope they manage it that way. They could just let him loose and you know, give him a longer lease in the postseason and let him go after. But you got to get there first, and hopefully you want to get there with a very healthy and productive show.
Speaker 2: Hail toney E LIESI Alfonso Jose, what a day for him, What emoments must have been going through him as he was announced when he took his first at bat. I give the Dodger Stadium crowd here a lot of credit for understanding the circumstances. And that was pretty special as well.
Speaker 10: Yes, and quite sad. I mean Elierzera got to meet his father and got to cover him and talk to him many times, and it is hard to even imagine what he's gone through and what happened this morning, just you know, and to listen to your interview and to listen to him talk to the media after the game or before the game about this. His little sister yelling at him to hit the ball hard. I mean, Dave, that stays with you forever, man, And you know, for him to think that, I'm going to honor her in my stepmom every time I come to the plate. But there's so much more to this, because is an entire country, the suffering, and he as he mentioned the Dollier fans right on spot, they're so aware of everything that happens with their teams. I really want to congratulate them for that. But also adding to twelve fonds, a think about this. The Dodgers took a very good look at him in spring stout, and he played in the fifteen games. That's every other game pretty much, right. That's for a catcher, that's a lot. And he earned his way here. You know, in twenty nine games he had three thirteen on base of three ninety two. And on top of that day he puts the ball in play beyond fifteen doubles, he struck out seventeen times. He had twenty two bucks. So it's not just about this moment or earning it. He's earned it way more. The other connection I see plays for you know, kas A kakas, that's right where things happen over there. And then the irony is he signed professionally on July fourth, twenty sixteen. I mean, if you don't believe if there there's so much in this story about what he does, and on top of that to make is and call a very good game. I was very impressed with that young man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very very sad story, and our heart goes out to him and his family for what they're going through. But hopefully he sticks around for a while. I don't think Will Smith is coming back anytime soon, Jose, so we'll have time to share his story. And it's great that Miguel Rojas has his locker right next to him, and that'll be a great deal of support for him.
Speaker 10: Support system. Of course, I doubt your players along the best in doing that and being aware of the person first and then the player, But I think he's coming to the right group to deal with it and to have a productive starts with a big career for sure, Dave.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, we'll catch up with you tomorrow. Rockies are in town. Kyle Karros is on fire, Jose Moto, watch.
Speaker 10: Out get the report from his father, would you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he never watches any games.
Speaker 10: It makes you think that, but I'm happy that he got hot and hopefully he be able to stop him.
Speaker 3: All right, Jose, we'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Okay, there he goes Jose Mota part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. A great background on Jose knowing Eliza's dad, Elizar Senior, and certainly Will Smith is still having some neck muscle issues, so I think you know, Eliza's gonna be here for a while. And Dalton Rushing has been phenomenal. Rushing's you know, we don't seem to really recognize actually what Rushing's production has been.
Speaker 3: So far this year.
Speaker 2: You look at his season, He's sitting two eighty six with an ops of over eight hundred. He's been everything and more that you could hope for in this type of situation. And everybody talked about him being, you know, this top prospect and now he's the backup catcher that Will Smith Ben Rodvick came in last year. Well how about this year? Will Smith has been out for over a month and Rushing hasn't allowed the Dodgers to miss a beat offensively, And yes there's been some growing pains defensively, but overall he's been phenomenal in that department as well. So you gotta give him a lot of credit. And he'll be back behind the plate tomorrow night against the Rockies. Before we go away tonight, I do have to set the record straight.
Speaker 3: There's video out there, you know.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you the story, me and keyk Hernandez playing catch today. Yes, the arm isn't what it used to be at Notre Dame High School in the mid nineties, no doubt or more part junior college. No doubt or the Sunday leagues, no doubt. But here's what happened. I was talking with Andrew Friedman and Key K was looking to be Key K, and he said, hey, Andrew, you want to warm me up? And Andrew had his yetti in his hand. He didn't want to allow that to, you know, leave his possession. So you know, you know, the president of Baseball Operations is not going to throw on a glove and warm up Key k Hernandez. So the next best option was yours, truly, and we had some fun. And honestly, yes, the throws weren't great, but I I could tell you this. The biggest victory for me today was that I caught every bullet from keyk Hernandez. I didn't let the priest behind me get hit. I didn't let any civilians get hit. I caught every one of his gloves. And Rick Monday's description of the way I threw is accurate. I need a cutoff man for when I was throwing to KEYK. But I appreciate Key K not taking my head off. He was throwing it very firm. He was warming up to make throws from third base to first base.
Speaker 3: But it could have.
Speaker 2: Been a lot harder that he was throwing and warming up. So I appreciate that, And I know this is not realistic, but I would love for every media member that criticizes major league players to just play catch with a major league player once and realize how fast, how hard they throw the baseball, and how hard it's coming at them. You would have a better understanding of how how great and how elite of an athlete they are. Baseball players they are to make the plays they make and make it look easy, because up here in the press box the game looks really easy. But when you're down there on the field and if you're just playing catch before a game with a big league player, postseason hero like keyk Hernandez, three time World Series champion, life comes at you really fast, literally and figuratively speaking. And I appreciate that. So thank you KEYK for not killing me today. And that was that was an all time experience I'll have playing catch with keyk Hernandez, with everybody watching, Steven Nelson screaming down on the field, Rick Monday judging every throw I made. But I'm telling you, the biggest victory was catching every one of those warm up throws from KEYK Hernandez and you could see the video on my Instagram at officially Vassay and on ex at the Real Underscore DV. That'll do it for us. Tonight on Dodger Talk Tomorrow, the Rockies aren't. Eric Carros will be on the call for Sports Net LA. His son Kyle Carros is on fire. Over the course of his last thirty games, Kyle Caros is hitting close to three point fifty. So we like that, but we don't like the Rockies trying to come in here and spoil the Fourth of July fun as the Dodgers take three out of four from the Padres on this great weekend, and the Rockies will throw out Kyle Freeland Tomorrow in Game one of that three game series. Eric lower will be on the mound for the Dodgers. Our coverage begins at six o'clock with first pitch at seven to ten with Rick Monday, Charlie Steiner and Tim Neverett. And don't forget tomorrow, hard not to forget that Team USA will be back on the pitch and you can watch every second of.
Speaker 3: That game at Downy Hunday. Downy Hunday not.
Speaker 2: Only the premier dealership in Downy and in southern California.
Speaker 3: But it's a party. It's not a dealership, it's a party.
Speaker 2: They got a big screen you could watch the soccer game there our guys, Sam, very patriotic man there at Downey Hyundai. All right, that'll do it for us. Thanks to calling you back at our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Once again.
Speaker 2: The final score tonight the Padres salvage the final game of this four game series five to two.
Speaker 3: Fox Sports Radio is next. Have a great rest of your night. See him