Speaker 1: On air at am five seventy LA Sports and on demand on the iHeartRadio app. This is the Petros and Money Show.
Speaker 2: You are one of the kind, hosted by Petros, Papaday guests left school after sixth grade and the voice of the Bolts not Money Smith. The answer is money.
Speaker 3: There is nothing you can do.
Speaker 1: You know it's coming.
Speaker 2: This is the Petros and Money Show on the home of your world champion Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Make us your top preset on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Screw you Melon great sports talk.
Speaker 4: We will handle it them because it's hard.
Speaker 2: That was way hursh the party of your conversations.
Speaker 5: I think the Lakers can win it. They're talking and back, they're bms talkbacks, talkbacks really oh, I used to call it the Clus going.
Speaker 2: Through tem Stable Talem talem stable, all empty souls, ten toward extreme opinions.
Speaker 3: Don the utes, Petrosen Money Dodger Day Off headed to the district Washington, DC Nationals tomorrow gallpin Ford Broadcast Booth ten am. First Pitch. It's their home opener. So Dodgers on deck at nine am with Tim Kates and company. You're home of the Back to back World Series. Champ Dodgers, So Dodgers tomorrow morning, tonight Clippers Spurs. That's what we're headed to at six thirty. Adam Auslin pregame tip off at seven thirty.
Speaker 2: All right, and know this. That is the entire schedule, so make sure you adhere to it. Not only that, but we are on the iHeartRadio app for streaming, and we're also there for the podcast purposes. And there's the talkback button, which we have been promoting since twenty twenty twenty nineteen, but now the company it's like, hey, you guys gotta really promote this, and nobody loves.
Speaker 5: You're talking and back the BMS talkbacks, talkbacks.
Speaker 2: I used to call it the clitterism a response. Nobody loves. Nobody loves handling company business better than Tim Kats.
Speaker 3: Don't hit the microphone and think it's Alexo.
Speaker 2: Okay, don't hit the button and then.
Speaker 4: Say Dodger game.
Speaker 3: No, it won't play the Dodger game when you do that, Okay, Dodgers, Dodger game, Dodger game, Dodger game, play Lincoln Park, Dodger game.
Speaker 2: It's now toucher game. Andy Stankowitz, the head coach at USC baseball, Big Big weekend series, both in the top ten Big weekend series that's sold out at Jackie Robinson Stadium this weekend. He's gonna join us next But right now it's time for Three Things Thursday.
Speaker 5: It is three Thingstersday.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: James Worthy covered the basketball stank withits will Scratch the Baseball Itch Three Things Thursday. Football football start with the Rams. A lot going on here?
Speaker 2: What do you think about Roki Sasaki stank? Would you leave them up?
Speaker 3: What do you think? Tell me now? Uh, Pooka is in rehab. You get sideways. You're accused of saying f the Jews and biting a lady. And there's well a bite mark to prove it that follows your bite pattern.
Speaker 2: Check the record. There was some horseplay, you know there was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the lawyer had to admit. Yeah, that's that's our, that's ours. That's definitely I recognize those teeth. You're absolutely right working on a deal with in Visiline right now. As a matter of fact, how do you try to take some of that heat off?
Speaker 2: I'll go to rehab. Leave me alone.
Speaker 3: Dealing with something over here? How insensitive can you be? Lawyer says it has nothing to do with the bite that they acknowledged the slur there was that they deny some.
Speaker 2: Horse play, and no one said anything about our Jewish friend.
Speaker 3: He says, of course, there is no connection that Pouka has already been at the Malibu spot. Where are you going to rehab Malibu? Of course?
Speaker 2: Where else where else the one where you can hook up with Lindsay Lohan or Britney Spears.
Speaker 3: It says he has already been at the Malibu self improvement spot, that he is scheduled to be there a while longer. So here on the Petro Some Money Show, we hope that that lawyer is sincere, that Pooka is trying to better himself.
Speaker 2: Well, if it's a drug, it's got to be cocaine, because if you're smoked out, you're not biting anybody. If you're on opioids, you're not biting anybody. I mean maybe if you're methed out. But math to me doesn't scream NFL wide receiver. So and you're not leaning over like the San Francisco people that are super de fantail. Yeah, to me, it screams the white horse. I was thinking acid just thought she was a big hot dog. He's gonna take a nice to me. It's cocaine. Cocaine after the Jews with the bite, that's cocaine, Matt.
Speaker 3: The good news, well, the good news is that Pooka is really trying to make himself better. The good news is it gives the Rams a hell of a break on having to sign him to an extension right now. Can't be handing over one hundred and sixty million bucks to a guy he's riding that white horse. He's trying to get right, he's got a lawsuit hanging over his head. Acknowledges that it was a bite, perhaps horseplay, perhaps a little more than that. So the Rams catch a break. Play it out, enjoy your five million dollar twenty twenty six salary if you manage to make it through the whole year, and then we'll revisit this next season. They can, of course franchise tag him. It's twenty eight million bucks this year. That's going to jump over thirty million season. But as sure as helling one hundred and sixty million bucks with a hundred million guaranteed, they certainly want to give this thing one more season, in particularly one more offseason before pulling that trigger. So a huge win for the Rams on this one that they do not have to thread the needle as to whether or not he's going to hold out. They obviously have Super Bowl ambitions the way they've spent money trading of a first round draft pick. Can't afford to have him holding out, but can't be holding out when he's in rehab and is dealing with this negative pr at this particular moment. Also to the Rams at the owners meetings, they're accused of playing dirty pool.
Speaker 2: It us have something to do with Sean McVay being at the pool while everybody else was taking a picture. No, okay, this has to do with Kyle shanmcaus I thought we already cleared that up the other.
Speaker 3: Day, genuinely upset that he didn't make the head coach picture and Todd Monk and I was just getting my haircut for the picture.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Kyle Shanahan joined the PFT crew at the league meetings in Arizona, and he says he knows for a fact the Rams were playing dirty pool and it ain't supposed.
Speaker 2: To work that way. Shanny called out his old guy.
Speaker 3: His old pal, part of the young guy crew, and he was doing it with Lafleur sitting at the desk with him by GC exactly right, the young guy crew here he is. Matt Lafleur is at that desk too, the head coach for the Packers, and they're both getting a hell of it. Well, Laffour is laughing about it. Shanahan seems genuinely pissed off that his team's got to go to Australia.
Speaker 2: How's that working?
Speaker 6: You don't get me started.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad. I'm so glad. It's though.
Speaker 6: They take a nineteen hour nap on the plane right out there, and I think when we get there, I'm like two days older. When we come back, I think it's like going in a time machine.
Speaker 2: Yeah Land at the time. I'm pretty sure the Rams lobbied for that game.
Speaker 6: Well, the fact they did bully the legal do right and let us play the Rams and Max since we got to go out of the country twice and they requested us, I'm requesting them in Mexico. Oh not that, not that that gives us an advantage.
Speaker 2: It's just fair to make them go out of the country.
Speaker 6: That would be great to have the games between the Rams of forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: I knew he might go this way when he brought it up. I knew it. I knew it, So he's ready for the right moment. Sorry, So I have brought this up a little bit.
Speaker 3: So you think the Rams have lobby because they're they're sick of seeing the forty nine ers dominate the crowd at so far.
Speaker 6: And I can get that, Yeah that would yeah, yeah, I have to do a sign of cadence and have our home game at their stadium, so I get their ambitions, but they were rewarded that, so I'm just hoping we can get it before I get that. I love them to come to Mexico.
Speaker 3: So it's not supposed to be that way, and that's why he's so pissed off. The way it works is when you are tabbed as the home team to play internationally, you're allowed to block two games that you want to have played in your home stadium. Maybe it's one you know that's going to sell out, make you a bunch of money, and the other seven are open for the league to choose for. And Shanahan saying the Rams specifically said, yeah, we'll go to Australia, but you're giving us the forty nine Ers, and that did not sit well with him, which is why he wants to drag them down to Mexico City. Seems like a pretty easy trip. You kind of stay in the same time zone. I guess you're playing at altitude and you got to deal with a little bit of the customs thing. But I guess, I guess it makes sense. I had heard that the Chargers were in the mix for that as well, but ultimately they got their wish. They were heading to Australia with the forty nine ers and there's not a damn thing Kyle Shanahan or the forty nine ers can do about it except for lose two days on your way down. They go to a time warp on the way back.
Speaker 2: Things are better for them. And I'll tell you why. There's nothing wrong with that substation and it's not causing any of those injuries. Gonna rock down too Electric Avenue and it doesn't cause me injury.
Speaker 3: Sean McVeigh at the owners meetings and the same show. Actually, no, this is on different show. One of the other TV shows made a public plea that, unfortunately we know today fell on deaf Ears.
Speaker 7: But Kirk was awesome. He especially he's played at a high level. He's a starting quarterback in this league. Is just a matter of what's he looking for, what the situation is, and if there is, you know, some interest in us Kirk, come see us.
Speaker 2: Man public plea on our show.
Speaker 3: Thanks for giving me.
Speaker 2: That nug, Shawn, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Of course, Kirk, we now know, did not did not take the invitation from Sean McVay. Instead, he signed with the Raiders. Never mind the agent jerk job that Adam Schefter did announcing it is a five year, one hundred and seventy two million dollar deal for Kirk Cousins that is all voidable years. There is ten million dollars guaranteed in here, actually eleven point three million dollars guaranteed. They are paying Cousins nine of the ten million bucks this year, and then they guaranteed him ten million dollars for next year. So it's essentially a two year, twenty million dollars deal. But the Falcons still owe him ten million bucks this year, so they'll pick up beyond the veteran minimum. The rest of it is fluff, but a lot of people excited about this for the Raiders. A great guy, a corny kind of stiff white guy that.
Speaker 2: I think he'd be a great analyst.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seems like that's going to be in his future, but for now, still wants to play and took the Raiders gig because he thinks he's going to get the start opening day and very well can end up playing the entire year. Remember Tom Brady pretty much sat out his entire first year, which RW bledsoe. You had Patrick Mahonmes sit out the first year.
Speaker 2: They didn't draft Brady with any expectation that he was going to become a great player. You draft Ferdy Mendoza.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think that was Brady's experience. He sat a year, felt like it really benefited him. It doesn't seem to happen anymore. The latest one we can remember was Patrick Mahomes getting drafted ninth overall and sitting for an entire season behind and.
Speaker 2: Alex Scarson sat behind kitt Now.
Speaker 3: Full year exactly. That's right as the number one overall pick. So that seems to be how they would prefer this to go. And Kirk Cousin's still plenty good enough to play good enough football to maybe make that happen. Finally, our third thing, Jim Harbaugh at the owners Meetings meeting with the assembled media, asked about life with Mike McDaniel, two quirky personalities, a lot of people wondering how they're going to get along. Here is his sort of analysis or his idea of how it's going so far. Learning offense from Mike McDaniel.
Speaker 8: They made the analogy about the making a better candle. You know, you don't make a better candle, make a light bulb, you know, And that's kind of that analogy makes sense to me, you know when I think of you know, the the many many meetings that we've had and Mike talking about offensive football.
Speaker 3: Don't need to make a better candle, you make a light bulb. That's what they're doing over in Elsigundo. They're turning candles into light bulbs.
Speaker 2: Felt like they had pretty good grasp on electricity before the statement was made.
Speaker 3: I was just burning the midnight oil.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, that was I mean, I didn't know that the Chargers offensive coordinator last year was like literally like a Geico caveman who couldn't even wipe his own ass loot like it felt like it. I mean I was sitting here like, oh my god, like this guy. He couldn't even speak. He just grunted into the Uh yeah, he just like an animal. Well, there you go. That is three things Thursday, and we'll be right back with USC head baseball coach Andy Stankowitz, who is doing a great job even though Dato Field is facing the wrong way. In twenty twenty six and beyond, this is Petrosen Money.
Speaker 1: On demand, on demand, Demand Demand.
Speaker 3: Petro some money in five to seventy eight sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Dodger Baseball Tomorrow, ten am, first pitch. Remember, as Tim Katson Company, you'll have Dodgers on deck for breakfast nine a m. With a ten am first pitch.
Speaker 2: Well, we could argue about that for a while, but Andy Stankowitz is our guest. He has woken up the sleeping giant that is USC Baseball. They're back at dato Field, facing the wrong way, but they're back. They're twenty seven and three on the season, rank number eight in the latest USA Today poll. After eleven years loping it up at Grand Canyon University, the Trojans have found a coach to fix their baseball program. Huge series at Jackie Robinson, three game weekend series taking on UCLA. Who's number one? It's all sold out? Andy Stegowitz joining us on your Southern California and Toyota Dieter celebrity hotline. USC baseball coach and a great Trojan coach. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: How are you DOUCHA great man? That's the heck of an intro man. Dang, I was impressive. Thank you.
Speaker 2: We've been waiting for USC baseball to come around for a while, coach, and it's a beautiful thing to see. And it's a really great thing when both programs in town have a good thing going. How much do you guys look forward to these matchups at Jackie Robinson and DADO. I know they're a big deal for the students, but sold out is pretty impressive.
Speaker 4: Well, I think yeah, I think it's big. I think I think he nailed it. I think, you know, trying to. But coach Avage has done over the years over that at UCLA has been pretty impressive. Obviously, he's done a fantastic job of building that program. We're on that cuff right trying to kind of trying to build it well and build it for the long haul. And I feel like we've made some good strides and so now you've got a chance to people are recognized. You know, it's southern California a little bit, right, and I'm talking about geography wise, right, what's happening here in Los Angeles? And so yeah, it'll be exciting match up. We've got two great programs. They've been incredibly consistent to do what they've done, start out as the one ranked team and to be able to hold onto that through I think halfway through the season pretty close. Well done by them, and we're we're ready to go though. Our boys are excited about about the challenge.
Speaker 3: Knocking on that door in twenty four coach, and then twenty five you get into the tournament, and then this year is can you carry over from once? Because you said it's a long term thing, right, you're building something, can you carry twenty four to twenty five, twenty five to twenty six years?
Speaker 4: I believe so I think, yeah, I think that's part of the plan. I think you look at every coach Dato did. I'm not coach Dato. I'm not even doing it for a moment. Even try to pretend that that I'm nearly as good as coach data will coach Gillespie. The people that I admired as a young man, as a young player in southern California. I grew up in this area, so I knew what they had done. But they built it. They built it well. They built it from the ground up, and it tested strong, you know, and endured some times during some storms. We're just just wanted in the new stadium. It's helpful. I know, I know it's not. It's it's the configuration is different than in the past one. But it works. It looks fine and it's beautiful, and so I think that's part of the building process as well, and it helps some recruiting, and I think it's all. It's all part of it's trying to talked about first got here. We want to we want to have a presence in in in Suthern, California in college baseball. And I think the boys took that challenge to heart and the groom gep being able to step So.
Speaker 3: Last year you had one of the best players in spalling ethan Hedge. Its kind of your own sho hal Tani was your closer. It is your best hitter. When when you're looking to replace that, how do you how do you go about it, and is it something the players kind of do that they raise their hand to say, I'm gonna be that guy this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's hard. It's hard. I mean, you know, it's it's very it's difficult to have a two way guy at any level. I mean, with show Tony's done at the big level is crazy, but it's not easy. But he was a great, great arm great skilled young man, and he had the mental toughness to get on the mound late in the game and close out games. And that's not easy either, as you guys know, and so to try to find that again, it's difficult. But we certainly we recognized us with a lot of young men coming up from programs in high school that want opportunity to play, to do it two ways. And so we've done it, and there's a couple of guys here that have shown the desire to do it. And it may take a little bit more time for them to establish their mound presence and the presence in the battles box, but we certainly look at it. But you got it's hard to do. It's just it's just typical task. But you got to be really really good at one or the other, because if you just don't get the time, the practice time to really to do both sometimes and so one of those has got to come pretty pretty not necessarily easy, but a little more natural for you. And hedges too hard. You had a great sinker and a good fighter, and he was competitive. It wasn't like he had to throw a ton of bullpens in the in the midweek because he was too busy hitting anyways. So it worked for him.
Speaker 2: Andy Stankowitz our guest, the former Saint Paul High School swordsman, serving the Gateway Cities with his sword in basketball and baseball. And uh, of course you we we talked about GCU in the intro and and you had a great career there five times I think whack Coach of the Year for baseball. How different was your approach building that baseball program?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: As uh as it is at us. See how different does it have to be? Are the resources very different? Because you certainly have been able to do it where others have failed.
Speaker 4: Well, I appreciate it. No, I think, Betrick, it's really similar. I mean when I got to Grand Canyon, it was Division two and in the in the eighties they had won four national titles. They had a longtime coach there that had did it for a long time, when a lot of national titles at the NI level, and so it was I believe it. It was a really similar kind of when I looked at both programs, like, Okayle's so this isn't necessarily too new to me. I knew that we had when as a grand Cayne, It's like, Okay, this has been a great program in the past. What are we going to do? And I show us all the time. I was really fortunate I coached at ASU for three years under coach Murphy, who's now that Pat Murphy's not the head of the manager for the Brewers, And so I got a pretty good look at like college baseball when I got done playing professionally, Like, hey, how does this work? And I'd been at a college baseball for twenty four or five years pro ball as a player and then as a coach, and so I was able to kind of see his blueprint a little bit. You know what this is. I learned the college baseball game all over again for three years and under a guy that had done it really, really, really really well for a long time. And so I was I think take some of that into Grand Cayne and then implement some of that here as well.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Rod Dato, who we knew, and U and Mike Gillespie also, both of them gone, but but but both great men. My dad played for Mike Gillespie in high school at Rolling Hills High not well, but he played. Uh and uh. You know, there was such a thing, especially when I was at USC and Savage was a pitching coach under Mike. There was such a thing as West Coast baseball in college, you know, running everything out. I was just a certain culture of baseball and it feels like that still exists. Does that still exist among you guys UCLA, the teams that come in on Tuesdays to play you.
Speaker 4: Guys, Yeah, I think so. I think that we played Santa Barbara last night and then it was a great matchup, but it was back and forth. We're able to to get a win, but it's the fortune zero vines. Now, I will say this U c.
Speaker 3: L A.
Speaker 4: You know, when you think about West Coast baseball, you think about obviously throwing strikes and holding runners and and the small ball. With that lineup they got this year, you're not seeing a whole lot of a lot of giving up outs. I mean, it's just I looked at their line up here this morning and I was like, man, why why do I look at this? This is this is already giving me, giving me hives right now, and so so it just it's just part of it. I think that. I think you guys see this right. Yeah, I've been to the of the launch angle, and you know, just like analytics, you're seeing some teams that are kind of walking away from the sacrifice punt game and they hit a run game because they just don't want to give out outs. I don't I think that for us. I think we don't. We're not as offensive. I'd love to be a team that just throws a bunch of big boys up the batter's box and hit a bunch of doubles and homers, but we're not. We're not quite there. So we're probably going to be more of a small ball team than than others. So I still hold on to that. I played for coach of Gillespie in Alaska for two summers, had a great impact on my career in my life, and so you know, you guys know me. I'm not the biggest dude in the world. So I was able to survive in the game because I could do some of the little things. And so I'm just trying to get our giving men to understand it played great tea, right, and sometimes you just keep us surviving the next thing, you know, you you had a nice career. So I'm just trying to get them to understand that.
Speaker 3: Surviving in College Park and in Chicago in March, what's what's it been like in the Big ten and what's it like taking those road trips because it could be five degrees, it could be sixty five degrees. You have no idea in Chicago what it's going to be in March.
Speaker 4: Well, unfortunately it was about twenty five all three days and snowing. I wish we wish we'd had a sixty Eve been nice. It's it's different. I'm I'm not gonna say it and say, oh, you know, it's no big deal. There's there's there's baseball in snow and rain when it's thirty degrees is not the most comfortable feeling for either side. I mean it's for everybody, but it is it is. It is what it is, right, I don't know, we just keep filling the guys saying no excuses, right, We'll go where they tell us to go, and we're gonna play really good baseball. So I don't want to hear about the weather, and I want to hear about the rain. I don't whatever it is, just just just play hard and play the right way. And our guys have have responded really well. I think a lot of the Midwest schools are hoping that that the teams in the West had that way, and and they get you know, they get hindered by the weather. But I think it looks to me like all the West Coast teams have gone in those environments and stood tall and held ground and have done just fine.
Speaker 2: So you know, the Giants hired that Tony Botello from ten to see I know you know that. Uh, I've raised some eyebrows and the college ranks straight to the majors. Like you said, you're a guy who was with the in the major leagues and and doing that kind of even in Staten Island for like a quarter century. Uh, how different is it or is it getting more similar? And is that an aspiration of yours to manage.
Speaker 4: In the bid Well? It is it is. It's different. Here's the difference. In pro ball. There's a lot more people to manage. And I think I think Toyn Vittella would even probably admit that, there's the college game. You've got your staff, and you've got you know, it's a staff of four or five, and you get your players. And so now when you get into the pro game, there's a lot more coming at you, and you've got to manage a lot of more people and making sure that you know it's they're on the right page and pages you and vice versa. And so that's the difference. And then in this game, I can, I'll see this.
Speaker 2: I can.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying that the pro guys aren't coachable, but but man I can. I can kind of tell a guy what I how I want him to do it, and tell me, hey, this is what you're gonna do it this way now. In the pro game, sometimes, even when I managed in a single egg, there was moments where like I would pinch it a kid and and I would get, you know, I get I get a phone call that night saying, hey, why'd you pinch it for this guy? I'm like, well, because he's two for he's two for thirty two. He's about ready to jump off a bridge, that's why. And and they're like, don't do that, don't do that ever again because he's a prospect, right, and you're just like, okay, okay, I got it, I got it. So a lot of times your your hands are tied in the pro game, where the guy signs for me and our staff we make decisions to who plays. I don't know if that that holds true in Pro Bowl anymore, where the manager, the Jim Lelands of the world say I'm going to play this guy because I want to play him. I'm I'm the manager, and I'm going to run this ball club. I don't know, and I don't know. I've been out of a post side for a while, but it seems like there's not as much freedom for managers to do what they want to do. So and I could be wrong, but that's what that's what. That's observation. I kind of seen.
Speaker 3: Jim Leland make that decision while smoking a Winston too. Last thing for your coach.
Speaker 4: Yeah you would, Yeah, Then.
Speaker 3: You start the season with with eighteen straight wins. Kind of what'd you if you learned anything about your team after that first loss, because I know you' rattled off a bunch of wins after that first loss.
Speaker 2: Was that was that.
Speaker 3: Kind of a I don't know if it's pivot point or what point of inflection. Was there anything that kind of came out of that seeing how your team responded to that first out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think what I what I felt like was like when we got to that that nice little win streak, I would tell you, guys, do you still like we're doing anything crazy special? Like, no, just playing this, don't strikes, playing good defense, put the ball and play. It wasn't like we were like just malling people. We were just we were just really really intense full and focused on playing really good baseball. And we happened to run off eighteen straight and then then we lost one, And I think I'm like, Okay, we lost one, So so do we panic or why don't we just keep doing what we've done? Right? Don't don't change the plan. The plan is is try to keep it as simple as we can because it's a hard game, and just just those strikes, play really good defense, put the ball and play, and be a great teammate and we'll see where it goes. And so I think that we lost. It was like, okay, we lost, Okay, let's just let's go back to don't change anything. I mean, we're playing a great program this weekend and I can't. We can't change our our style. This is what we got to keep doing. What we've been doing. Now, it's got to be it's got to be really really on tasks because they're so good. But we're not going to change it and we're not going to have a different approach because of who we're playing. We gotta we gotta really constrain what we do well.
Speaker 2: Everybody's batting from the other side this week great Handy Stiglitz, Jackie Robinson Stadium, three game weekend series. It's gonna pop off usc U c l A both at the top of the college baseball world. And that's a wonderful thing. Coach, what a great conversation. Thank you so much for joining us, and good luck this year. We'll be watching and rooting for you and we hope to catch up again.
Speaker 4: All right, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Fight on, Fight on is right, Fight on, Fight on, and fight on, Fight on, Fight on, Fight Out. We'll be back with more. Petro send money on this Crunchy Groove Thursday. There it is, Hey, there it is.
Speaker 6: Ah.
Speaker 2: That's a crunchy group to me.
Speaker 1: All right, Southern California's most listened to sports talk show.
Speaker 2: This is on man, Thanks for listening. It's Petrosen Money on a five seventy LA Sports. Make sure you podcast the show on the iHeartRadio app for your smartphone. Clipper Spurs, Tonight Lakers, Okay, see night. We talked to James Worthy earlier. The podcast is on the iHeartRadio app and it's waiting for you there, so listen live, stream it live or and you know, you can leave a little message, tell a story about something if you want, whatever you want to do. It's all there on the iHeartRadio app, or you can stream it live or listen podcast it later. All right, it is time for the Dead Guy Birthday of the Day.
Speaker 3: Well, we are your gearhead show of record, alternators, manifolds, disc versus drum breaks. We do it all here daily.
Speaker 2: I don't know what any of those things are you do.
Speaker 3: Don't you play dumb on me. You know your carbs and headers carburetor Walter Chrysler would have been one hundred and fifty one today see the American dream man. Humble beginnings, hard work, a bright mind turned him into one of the most influential figures in the history of this great nation. Born no hope, Well, Migo, Kansas, might as well.
Speaker 2: Just die there on that as well. Right down the side of the road.
Speaker 3: That girl playing in the dirt and Baker, she's got no hope, no chance. Walt's journey came at a time when railroads and machinery and automobiles were reshaping our nation's economy and our identity. Chrysler. It's weird to say Chrysler and talk about an individual Walter Chrysler. But he started in the railroad industry a machinist. He excelled constantly tingering, tinkering. His skill with a curiosity quickly caught the attention of his bosses. He climbed the ranks all the way to the executive level. He was incredibly successful. He was well respected. But you know, a wandering eye. He wasn't a skirt chaser. No, he had a fascination with automobiles, which at the time were a new invention and by no means a sure thing. Early nineteen hundreds, Chrysler stunned his bosses, his family, his friends. When he left his railroad positioned to join fledgling and struggling auto manufacturer Buick. Without Chrysler, we may have never known the Electra, the Park Avenue, the Grand National. Because it was Chrysler's leadership, his engineering insights that turned things around almost immediately.
Speaker 9: Where would Billy Ocean be today? You'd be driving solo. You still be chasing skirts, yeah, driving alone? Right, but not in a Buick. No, some Chinese automobile is what he'd be. With his engineering background, he did not just manage from the office, but like Pete Carroll out on the football field, throwing those passes to his players, really getting into the thick of it.
Speaker 2: Man, he immersed himself in the mechanics.
Speaker 3: I need you to appreciate that analogy of car production here in the respect of his workers, engineers. He established Buick, and he was in high demand. Every struggling, failing automaker threw a ton of money at him to come turn around their product. Instead, he opted to build a car of his own. Nineteen twenty five, he found the Chrysler Corporation, and he wasn't just making cars, he was changing the way they've worked Man started with innovation with performance, but he also insisted on making his cars at a price point where the middle class cult afford this new American luxury. He introduced high compression engine stuff you talk about all the time, hydraulic breaks, oh my favorite, new standards for safety, efficiency, and Chrysler quickly became the bell of the ball for that mat class that was eager for reliable and modern transportation and economical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to.
Speaker 3: Travel behind this horse taking a crap every time I'm going to work. He expanded his company by acquiring the Dodge Brothers.
Speaker 2: I'd rather get this giant metal death box that has a spike in the middle of the steering wheel so when I and I'm not gonna wear my seat, bounce when I break, and it's just spike right into my forehead. That's that's what you want.
Speaker 3: You might have to be quick. He bought Dodge in twenty eight and he also launched Plymouth the same year, range of vehicles for everyone. Multi brand approach allowed him to compete directly with the larger rivals became one of the top automakers in the country. Beyond automobiles, he of course financed the construction of the Chrysler Building in the Big Town. Upon its completion in nineteen thirty, it was the tallest building in the world, a symbol of ambition, progress and the spirit of modern industry.
Speaker 2: Promethean. Yes.
Speaker 3: And of course here in La we know the Chrysler Building zoned by doctor Jerry Buss traded it to Jack Kent Cook for the Lakers. I'll give you the Chrysler building, you give me the Lakers. Hey, I'll throw in twenty horse twenty one. I talked to Joe Anne and we had a deal. And you should have never been born, Jesse. He retired sadly in thirty six to spend time with his wife and his child. It was his child in sweet Some people just kind of work man, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh that killed him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's dead. Two years later, hey, man, fire up the le baron, drop the top, polish the wood panels on the side, and cruise the top. Cruise the palm spring strip here in spring break. Huh, that's what you need to do in your eighty three le baron drop top.
Speaker 2: See the gaze. Yeah, huh, I love. I don't have an old man and an old baron, and I'm going over the rainbow sidewalking.
Speaker 3: I guess, guess what's gonna happen. Be You're gonna look at one of those young men, maybe some Daisy Dukes, and you're gonna say, hey, you get into get into my car.
Speaker 2: Say Bruce Matt beating out Quavo. Unlike Lebron, we had no idea about Quavo really and beating out Kirsten Dunst's husband, Jesse Plemons. Oh, I didn't know they were a couple. They've been together for quite some time. I believe ever since their appearance together on the second season of Fargo. She's got some big bazooms. Yeah, she does. Beating out all those people. Is another prolific actor. Linda Hunt from New Jersey. She's eighty one today. She's four foot nine, that's short. Her father was an oil man, her mom a piano teacher. She went to DePaul the Art Institute of Chicago. Les She has a hyper pit Petua Terry dwarf Ism again. She's four nine. Became a star stage actress and then entered the film and TV world in the mid seventies. She made her big film debut in Robert Altman's Popeye as Miss Oxheart. Two years later, she co starred as and this is her pivotal role as Billy Kwan in the Year of Living Dangerously, alongside Mel Gibson and Sigourney Weaver. She won an Academy Award for this performance in nineteen eighty three, and she was the only person to ever win or the first person to ever win an Academy Award playing the opposite sex. She played a guy, a little Chinese guy, and that was an Academy Award. First. She was in David Lynch's Dune loved her in Kindergarten Cop in nineteen ninety It's not a tumor.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna list all these roles and then I'm gonna tell you I loved her.
Speaker 2: I did. She was some Kindergarten Cops, one of my favorites, and I thought she brought that perfect mix to the role of humor and believable sternness impassivity. In nineteen ninety one, she was in a Richard Greco movie called If Looks Could Kill I Love Crico. See you waited all that time she is on NCISLA. I think that's a recurring role, but I don't watch those shows. Yet because I have a brain. Yet so far she was on the practice and without a trace, done lots of voice work. She hails from the Aisle of Lesbos. I can see that has a longtime wife in psychotherapist Karen Klein. She's involved with animals, helping, often with animals like b One in Burbank or Blondie. Oh yeah, the dead bear in Monrovia. No, but she was there for those Bearserhaps we wouldn't be talking about him the way we talk about him today. She had a bad car accident and missed a year of ncis interesting lady. Here she is with opposite Mel Gibson in the Year of Living dangerously, playing the role of the little Chinese guy Billy Kwan can't it's.
Speaker 8: Me bloody story and I can't you understand that?
Speaker 4: Don't you understand?
Speaker 8: You've lost Jill?
Speaker 3: What are you told me?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 4: And now I'm taking her back?
Speaker 7: Do you understand? For christ sake, you're mad, little bastard.
Speaker 4: You think you can control people's lives just because you got him in your bloody files.
Speaker 5: I believe in you.
Speaker 4: I thought you wouldn't, Man of Fly, That's why I gave you the stories.
Speaker 6: You think are so important.
Speaker 5: I made you see things.
Speaker 4: I made you feel something about what you're right. I gave you my trust, so did Ji. I've cruel over there.
Speaker 2: And I thought that music came from the karate Kid part too, but it turned out it was the year of Livinon with Van Guellies, the great composer. We'll be back with the wrap up of the show. We'll do the fun fat and your quick hits, and we'll be back tomorrow at a normal time, three o'clock. Well, we'll be on after the Dodgers play the Washington Nationals at Nationals Park Dodgers on Deck at nine am tomorrow