Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking. We're joined right now by a man that you see on Fox Sports and you also see on foul Territory ten to noon Pacific time during the week days. He's a World Series catcher, and he certainly has a lot of experience with a few different teams during his nineteen major league seasons. And that's the one and only AJ Prazinski. AJ, thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it, no, bro, happy to be on.
Speaker 2: You know, since I saw you in Milwaukee, I hope you've gotten better because you really stuck to doing pool tabs.
Speaker 1: I know, right, who knows? Aj Prasinski and I could bond in Milwaukee just being able to try to get some poll tabs, which are essentially traps of baseball cards and lottery tickets combined into one, right, AJ, Exactly.
Speaker 2: I don't think you have to be from the Midwest, even though what a poll tab is, I think I think that might be the only place where we have them. But yeah, so basically, like in scratch off lottery ticket that you pay like a dollar for and you win nothing out of by like fifty of them, you win like zero dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, instead of looking at your phone, you're pulling these tabs and you're coming up with nothing.
Speaker 2: Exactly. But they're fun. They're fun. They are fun.
Speaker 1: I'll say that they were fun and you got you got to see the Dodgers in Milwaukee and obviously keep tabs on them. Are the Braves the only team that could possibly stop the Dodgers at this point in October?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. I think most of the Dodgers are still the best team going. But I think the Phillies, now what they're starting pitcher, I mean Christopher Sanchez, Zach Wheeler, Aaron Nola, Pays's WIZARDO in the back end of Duran and the rest of that back end brag Keller are healthy in their lineup because they can hit homers and they have guys that have been there. I think the Phillies are a threat. I think the Brewers are a threat. I think if the Brewers can go out and find one more pitcher. Listen, you have Mizz and Harrison going. That's pretty good. One two punches the back end of their bullpen with your Rebay and McGill and some of their other guys they mix a matches great, But if they go out and find a hitter, a legitimate hitter. And this is not a knock on Bryce Terrang, Christian Yelich and some of the other guys that they have, William Contreras. But if they could go out and find a hitter, and when I say a hitter, I mean a guy that is a force, like I don't know who that could be, but if they could find a guy that is an absolute force where the Dodgers or any other team goes Man, we got a really game plan for this guy because he could at any point can hit a homer against us and change his game. I think they could be dangerous just because Pat Murphy knows how to handle his team. He knows how to mix a match with the best of them. So there are other teams in the American and the National League that could derail the Dodgers. And let's not forget the Dodgers for the last few years have been considered the greatest team in history in there about four inches away from losing the World Series last year. So it is possible. Is it likely? I don't think so, but it is possible.
Speaker 1: Hey, when you were calling that game in Milwaukee Doween the Dodgers and Brewers. There is a report by Ken Rosenthal that kind of went under the radar during that broadcast that the Brewers mine actually kick the tires on bringing in Schooble the way they brought in CC Sabbathia. Do you buy in that they would actually consider that?
Speaker 2: I would if I was them, because then you go school bol Masarowski and Harrison, So absolutely I would consider that. But I don't know. I actually was surprised when Ken did that. I told him this after the game that after he did that report, I thought he was gonna say, Dodgers, We're going to get terror school, and then the whole baseball world would go crazy. But when he dropped the Brewers, I was like, wait, Brewers, waits, what are we talking about here? But they did do that the year they brought in CC. We saw how well it went for him. Would they do that again? I don't know if Matt Arnold and the Brewer's front office would be willing to do that and meet the prospect costs, But I think it would be great for the game if the team, like the Brewers, went out and made a crazy move like that. Now for me, I'd rather see it be a pitch I hit her. But hey, Terry Schoob will look as in any uniform.
Speaker 1: AJ. You had a lot of stops in your career. One of them was in Atlanta while Freddie Freeman was playing there. What was your experience as a teammate with Freddie Freeman and did you ever believe that he would be going strong at age thirty six? Did you see that when you were playing in Atlanta?
Speaker 2: Freddy Freeman was a monster back then and a great I mean, you guys, Dodger fans have gotten you know what a great person Freddy is. So yes, there was never a doubt. Freddy was always special. I mean every coach I talked to that knew Freddy. I knew the hitting coach for the Braves before I got there, and he told me all about it. He's like, this guy's a monster. This is like two thousand, a couple of years before I even went and played there. He's like, you got to see this guy and what he can do with the bat. And then when I got to play with him and seeing on a first hand basis it it only made it more. It just amplified it even more to a point where I'm like, man, this guy really is special. He had to play with him for two years, seeing him on a daily basis, the way he goes about his work, it has not surprised me at all that he's got a chance to get three thousand hits. And you know, the one thing about Freddy that was so funny is that when I played with Freddy, all he cared about was he just said, I'm like, Freddy, man, you're going to go to the Hall of Fame probably one day with it you as good as you are. And he would laugh. He goes, you know what all I want is one ring. He's like, you have a ring. I don't have a ring. I haven't com closed at the time in Atlanta at getting a ring because we weren't very good. And now I look at Freddy and I'm like, Freddy, you got like ten rings, dude. It feels like I feel like you're winning the ring every year. So one thing about Freddy is Freddy wanted to win at all times. And he's kind of proven out the way. He'll play through paying, he'll play injured, and he just shows up every day wanting to make his team better, and that is a big thing for Freddy Freeman.
Speaker 1: Aj Prasinski, you were behind the scenes with Freddy. Is it true that he takes minimal amount of swings in the cage to get ready for a game, and how abnormal is that, especially in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I took less of him. I was Predy Wow, one of the few guys that actually did take less than Freddy. But one thing Freddy figured out was it's not how hard you just listen when you take minimal swings, they have to be really good swings. But Freddy developed a routine and he would take minimal swings and he'd find the one thing he was looking for. Now. I see Freddy take a lot of swings when he's struggling, but there are times where you know what, if you're feeling it, just take a few swings and go on. And Nick Markakas was there at the time. And one thing Freddy learned from Nick was Nick was the first guy and never saw it take VP on the field. He took it. He took it in the cage a lot, right, and I was like, man, what does this guy doing? But all Nick Markakos to do is go out there and get hit after hit after hit, and I'm like, man, there's something to this. Freddy picked up on it. So Freddy kind of became another guy that didn't want to take a lot of VP on the field. And hey, for some people that work, some people like me, I wanted to feel it. I wanted to see it on the field. So I was a little bit different. But Freddy knew his no, especially now that he's a veteran guy. He knows what it takes for him to be ready to play, and he shows up every day and he wants to play. He's ready to play. So you can never question Freddy Freeman's work ethic or hey, he takes not as many swings, who care as long as he shows up at seven o five, takes zero swings, take a million swings, just be ready to go that clock strikes.
Speaker 1: Out, and he always is. Aj Prazinski is our guest. All right, you have a strong connection to the White Sox. The Dodgers will be in Chicago to start a three game series against the Chai Socks on Friday night. What can you tell us about the change in Miguel Vargas. Everybody knows about Miguel Vargas being one of those hyped up prospects, and the trade that the Dodgers made with the Cardinals and White Sox seem to have paid off for the Dodgers in White Sox more than the Cardinals, so it wasn't even trade. But how has Miguel Vargas come into his own Did you see this coming?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, I think the biggest thing that happened to Miguel Vargas is he went to a place in Chicago where gets to play every day. Right, you got to find a place where you get to play and you get to develop. In LA, that wasn't going to happen because they were trying to win World Series. They're trying to do all these special things, which obviously they're doing. But you got to trade into Chicago. Listen, say what you want about LA. There's a little more pressure on your in LA when you're trying to win than there is in Chicago when you're losing a Hunter in twenty games. But what it allowed for me Go Marts to do is he made some adjustments in his swing. He didn't have to go up there saying man, I want to. I want to. I got to get a hit because I want to play tomorrow, right, So if I don't get a hit, that I'm not going to play and then I'm gonna get platoons and I'm gonna have to do this and i'mna to do that. Like hey, just go out and play every day. It makes some adjustments and learn from it, and that's been a good thing. Some players need that and then they find themselves after a couple of years. Not everyone is ready the day they get to the big leagues. You have to make that adjustment. But go Martins has turned him into a heck of a player, and he's got a chance to do something that hasn't happened in like ninety years, and not to be a starting third baseman from the Chicago White Sox in an All Star Game. And if you had told Dodgers fans out a couple of years ago, they have said no chance. Even maybe White Sox fans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, Aj. And could you imagine Max Munsey's starting at third base for the National League and Vargas starting for the American League in the All Star Game. That would be pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I love Max, so I hope Max gets every everything he can get. He's one of my he's one of our favorite guests on foul Territory. He's awesome. I love Max to death and I wanted, of course, I want him to start.
Speaker 1: Of course you do. He's a connection to foul Territory. A j. I could talk to you all day, we could spend two hours again like we did together in Milwaukee, but I know you got a busy day. And it's awesome to share you with la Dodger fans and certainly great to get to know you over the years, but especially bonding in Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, of course. And listen for Dodgers fans that think they're going to go into Chicago and just have an easy three games. I'm telling you right now, this White Sox team, and they're fun to watch, man. They got some offensive power. They're a little bit better if you guys see Davis Martin and Sean Burke and some of their other young starters. They got some arms. So you know it's not gonna be a cakewalk like he used to be for the Dodgers. Just just know that going into.
Speaker 1: It, all right, fair warning, fair warning, And I'm sure the Young White Sox want to prove something to the Dodgers that they can be on the same field.
Speaker 2: Of course, listen, every team when you're a two time defending world champion. I remember when I used to play the Yankees, right, the Yankees, said Jeter and that whole team, Bernie and a Rod, and they were coming off all their World Series and I was on the Young Twins team and you played the Yankees. It was the World Series. You're I could compete with these guys. Right when you face the Pedro Martinez back in the day, You're, yeah, I want to prove to everybody that I can hit this guy. Well, Yankees, the Yankees used to get everyone's best shot. And guess what now the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Do, no doubt. AJ Prasinski World Series Champion, All Star, nineteen year Major leaguer, and you could see that backwards hat and that beautiful beard. Tend to noon Monday through Friday on Foul Territory.
Speaker 2: Thanks Aj, Thank you appreciate it.