Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey or Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: All Right, Kyle, welcome to Los Angeles. Great to see you actually wearing this Dodger jersey. What does it mean to you to start this new chapter in your baseball life?
Speaker 3: This is awesome. I'm extremely excited.
Speaker 1: I mean this, this organization is very first class organization, from you know, ownership group to front office to the players. And you know, I think the players kind of speak for themselves with their their playing out on the field, and I think everyone kind of recognizes that. So I'm excited to just be a part of, you know, the team organization this city.
Speaker 2: You said during the press conference, Freddie Freeman facetimed you and said, don't do anything stupid. Does that mean he doesn't want you to try to duplicate his worm dance during the off season? Have you seen that?
Speaker 1: I don't know if that is a part of that category or not, but I mean he seemed to be pretty good at it, so I'm excited to ask him to do it live.
Speaker 3: But we'll see what happens. But yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: We just talking to him on face hime for for a second before we did the press conference stuff, and it was like, just you know, don't do anything stupid and you'll be good.
Speaker 3: So I was like, oh, I appreciate it. Yeah you don't. You don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you seem like you play life pretty safe.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I try.
Speaker 1: I try to not not get too crazy with things, especially you know, front of cameras and stuff. But no, I'm pretty good with everything.
Speaker 3: Kyle.
Speaker 2: Of dimension of your game that I feel like not enough has been talked about, is the running the base running in your career, you've stolen eighty eight percent of the bases. The Dodgers were near the bottom of that. Is that just having the baseball? I qu the awareness? How much is that speed? I mean what part of that dimension? Where does that come from?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean I'm not like the fastest guy, but I'm not slow by any means. But I mean, if I can take an extra ninety feet whenever I see that'll benefit our team to possibly score an extra round, Like, I'm gonna try and do what I can with it. I mean, this this team's probably like if you're on first base with this team, you're probably in scoring position. So that's probably why that was a factor, but I mean, I'm excited to help out this team, whether it's on the basis defense, hitting wise, Like, I'm really excited to get things going this year.
Speaker 2: I had to look how well you've done at Dodger Stadium in a small sample size forty played appearances, You've done pretty well. How comfortable in those small nine games do you feel hitting in this ballpark? And has Dodger Stadium become a hitter's ballpark?
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know my stats like that, but I mean it's it's exciting playing here. I mean it's it's a little top because this team is is very good and the fans definitely back then with that, So I mean it's it's exciting playing here.
Speaker 3: I mean there's there's a lot of a lot.
Speaker 1: Of cool stadiums around around the league, but I think this is definitely, you know, at the top of the list with with a lot of guys.
Speaker 3: So just the history.
Speaker 1: Behind, you know, the Dodgers organization and this city and everything, I think definitely plays a factor into playing here. And it's it's exciting to be a part that, you know, eighty one games of a year now.
Speaker 2: Kyle Tucker is our guest. He's the newest Dodger wearing jersey number twenty three. This is Dodger Talk until eight o'clock, Kyle. A lot of players always talk about free agency. You want it for so long and then once you're there, it's a long winding road. How tough was the process for you and when did you start to know that the Dodgers may be the team?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, it was tough. I didn't try and like kind of over analyze anything or you know, put too much pressure on, you know, any decision. But you know, you know, over the last couple of weeks or so from today, is is starting to get there with everything with the teams. I mean, there's a lot of really good teams and organizations out there, but you know, I just I just felt comfortable coming to LA and playing for the Dodgers organization. Like I said, their first class organization. This this team's phenomenal team, and I'm excited to be a part of that. So, I mean when I kind of my wife and I kind of factor all that in to each other, I was like, I think this is a landing spot for us.
Speaker 3: So that's kind of what we wanted to do.
Speaker 1: And you know, I'm excited to get things started here in spring training and then you know, opening day out here.
Speaker 2: At the beginning of the off season. Did you have the Dodgers in mind? Or is this something that started to become more clear in the last three weeks.
Speaker 1: Probably more so the second part coming, you know, more clear of the last couple of weeks or so. Obviously I've never been a free agent before, so I was like, I don't know how it works, but talking to other guys that you know, have gone through the process before it definitely helped. And just kind of have a having a nice, you know, kind of group around me to kind of you know, lead me in a direction, a path that definitely helps. So I think I think we, you know, made a made a pretty good decision in this.
Speaker 2: You're a guy that seems to let your play do all the talking, and in free agency you gotta lay back, lay low. How did it make you feel when so many people were speaking about you and for you? Was that tough to you know, restrain yourself from hey, that's not really me.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's you know a lot of different opinions. You know, there's a lot of people out there that have different opinions, and you know, obviously some fan bases want you to come there and don't want you to go to other organizations and whatnot, so but I don't know. I was just kind of treating it like a normal off season, hanging out with my family and going on a little vacation, playing some golf and stuff. So I was like, I'm probably a big decision to be made, but I was like, I'm just gonna try and treat it like a normal off season. That way, I'm prepared to go in spring training and have the Red mindset going into the year.
Speaker 2: All right, before I let you go, we are sitting in Dave Robert's office. I do not have my feed up on his desk for the record, even though I want to. What was the call like to try to get number thirty from him? You said it was a shot in the dark. Did you feel like the conversation was quick or it was a good icebreaker to get to know your new manager.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, obviously I kind of knew the reason behind him wearing it and whatnot, but I just want to at least, you know, at least get a courtesy call about it. And just kind of discuss it with him, and whether I knew it was gonna be not happening or not, but I'd figured out at least kind of reach out to him and just discuss it with him. I told him I got a backup number in case, like, it's totally fine.
Speaker 3: I get it. So that's kind of how things worked out.
Speaker 1: So he was like, don't hate me for not doing this, but I was like, nah, it's it's totally fine.
Speaker 3: We're all good.
Speaker 1: Like I got a backup number for you, and you know, it all works out. I was like, I don't want to mess with anything we got going up here, So if that's what I kind of do, we'll stick to it.
Speaker 2: Twenty three. There's been a lot of great twenty threes in Dodger history. Eric Carros, who you're going to see a lot, and he'll remind you that's his number. And I don't know if you heard about this guy hitting a home run in nineteen eighty eight. He was a left handed hitter, Kurk Gibson. So I know Michael Brantlee is your guy, But twenty three means a lot for the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's a lot of great players out there, like you mentioned, and I'm just excited to you know, have this one and you know, starting to new part of my career here and you know, get things rolling with twenty three.
Speaker 2: All right, you look suited and booted, ready to go for LA. Damn good hair. Tucker, thanks a lot for the time and welcome to LA.
Speaker 3: Thank you, guys, appreciate it.