Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're getta running back.
Speaker 1: To get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch short podcasts. Here's your host, David Vasselas Day.
Speaker 3: Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vase with you until ten thirty tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We have phone lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. Come one, Come all, as you pile out of the sports bars after or should I say, stumble out of the sports bars after watching Team USA win two to nothing tonight.
Speaker 3: So I know you had one eye on soccer.
Speaker 2: I was had both eyes on Dodger baseball, and I know tonight they lost seven to one.
Speaker 3: But this is about the long game now more than ever before.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers winning seven of nine on this road trip, sweeping the Twins in Minneapolis, taking two out of three from the Padres, the emotional Padres who let down again after losing two out of three to the Dodgers, and the Dodgers coming to Sacramento and you know, continuing to be the Dodgers winning the first two games of this series, pushing Otani back two days. So he starts on Friday at Dodgers Stadium, as they manage that left knee, and they win seven of nine, and they have the most wins in baseball fifty six. They have a twelve game lead on the Padres. They have a twelve and a half game lead on the Diamondbacks. And part of this ten game homestead that starts tomorrow night with four against the Padres is against NL West Division teams. And I'm sure when the Padres and Diamondbacks saw the schedule even a month ago, they're thinking, this is our chance. We got the Dodgers right where we want them, if we can go in striking distance on that final homestand in LA and maybe surprise them and take two out of three and put some pressure on them. But that's not going to happen. The Padres are reeling. They are in a five game losing streak. They are spiraling, out of control. They lost twenty three to three to the Cubs today at Wrigley Field.
Speaker 3: Our guy, Walker Buehler, who beat the.
Speaker 2: Dodgers last Friday night, gave up nine runs today and that's coming off the Padres giving up fifteen runs to the Dodgers last Saturday night at Peco Parks. So they're not hitting, they're not pitching, and now they find themselves twelve and a half games back, are twelve games back of the Dodgers in the NL West.
Speaker 3: The Diamondbacks are twelve.
Speaker 2: Games twelve and a half games back of the Dodgers in the NL West, and the Dodgers got three games against the Rockies, and we all know how that usually goes. So things are looking bleak, to say the least, for the rest of the NL West. While my only concern is for the Dodgers is to stay in the moment and not take your foot off the gas, because it's really easy to do having a twelve game lead and you got ten more games all at home.
Speaker 3: Before the All Star break.
Speaker 2: But it doesn't seem like these Dodgers are going to do that, especially when you have the pitchers starting that they have in this four game series. Against the Padres. You got Roki tomorrow night, you got Otani on Friday, you got Yamamoto on Saturday, and you got Emid Shehan on Sunday. The Padres have Randy Vasquez, who the Dodgers got to in San Diego part of that fifteen run Saturday night. So for me, I mean, the Dodgers just gotta do what Jose Mota and I talked about in the Clubhouse show, not to not get too far ahead of themselves and finish out the pre All Star Break schedule strong and not give the Diamondbacks or Padres any hope that they can get back into this race in the second half of the season and maintain a double digit lead on them going into the All Star Break. And I see no reason why the Dodgers can't do that. And don't forget Tomorrow night at Dodgers Stadium. Not only is it Dodgers Padres, but to one piece night at Dodgers Stadium, the hat, the card, all of that, and I guess the first fifty thousand fans in attendance will get all that when they show up at Dodgers Stadium tomorrow. So certainly things are looking good and it bears repeating it, bears repeating that the Dodgers in the month of June had only nine home games and on the road. In June, the Dodgers played eighteen games. They were twelve and six on the road in the month of June with only nine home games. So from the fans perspective, you haven't had an opportunity to really get to Dodgers Stadium in the last month. So here is your goalden opportunity, a ten game homestand to come and cheer on the team with the most wins in Major League Baseball. Eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. By the way, maybe the biggest thing I could take away from tonight's game outside of Charlie Barnes going seven innings, is Kyle Tucker walking four times. And I think back to talking to Max Mounsey over the years, and we all know, for the better part of Max's Dodger career he was a three true outcome player. That's not the case anymore, but when he first came up, he was a strikeout, a home run, or a walk type of guy. Well, over the years, Max Mounsey has told me, you know, when you could tell I'm going right and I'm seeing the ball really well. Is when I'm taking walks. And Kyle Tucker with four walks, first time in his career to have four walks in a game, to me, that is greater hope that he is getting closer to getting the rhythm and seeing the baseball better than he has all season long. And Freddie Fraeman, Mookie Betts, they're all rolling right now, so hopefully they keep that going. Hopefully Mookie Bets is back in the starting lineup tomorrow after missing today's game with the sore right wrist. Maybe too much guitar, you never know. Let's go out to mission vo. Bill, you're on Dodger Talk. I guess when you're smashing the ball like Mookie is, your wrist is gonna get sore.
Speaker 4: Bill, That's right, it's just that repetitive action. Thanks for taking my call. I just was wondering with the eating up innings, what about Mills from last night? If they had kept Mills would have been able to do the job tonight.
Speaker 2: No, not like Charlie Barnes. Mills is a reliever. Barnes has started in Oklahoma City, and look, I know The Dodgers were billing this as a bullpenning game, but obviously they had the plan of dryer in the first inning and ride Barnes for as long as they could, and he kept the pitch count down despite giving up twelve hits and seven runs.
Speaker 4: Hey, I got a little trivia for you here. So in the sense of Dodgers started the road trip in Pittsburgh, they had a success road trip, and that road trip in this one too. But the Dodgers starters have still giving up around nineteen home runs those in that stretch. Does that seem a little alarming to you or is that just part of the game.
Speaker 2: I'd have to look at which pitchers gave up those home runs, because they've used a lot of pitchers. I know their bullpen in the beginning of June, Bill was giving up way too many home runs. So I would have to look to see which pitchers have given up the most home runs out of those eighteen or nineteen.
Speaker 4: You're talking about the Tampas Series, there was just one day they had the home run. But in Pittsburgh, I think every game in Pittsburgh there was a home run hit by Yeah off the start, not.
Speaker 3: All home runs given up? Are equal? Are made to be equal?
Speaker 2: Bill, I would say the Dodgers, Bill, are doing pretty well, wouldn't you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What else do you want from them? What else would you like to see from the Dodgers? What can they do more than having the most wins in baseball and having a.
Speaker 3: Twelve game lead? Now just maintain all right, Bill, Thanks for the phone call, appreciate it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know the Dodger bullpen was giving up a lot of home runs in the beginning part of June, but it feels like they've stabilized. And look, if you wanted to group in Charlie Barnes's three home runs allowed tonight, that's gonna add to that statistic too. So that's not something that you know, I look at as a whole. You have to look at the circumstances, the score, and who was giving up those home runs and when were they giving them up. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers fall to the ace tonight, seven to one. When we continue on Dodger Talk, we will take your phone calls. We will let you know which Dodgers are getting closer to being voted to the All Star Game voting closes tomorrow morning at nine am Pacific time, so we'll let you know about that. We'll let you know when you can expect Evan Phillips back. And also, here's something fun. I always think about. There's two things I think about when the Dodgers have played the Athletics over the last fifteen years. I think about number well, I think about three things. One of my first two years covering Kershaw twenty twelve, twenty thirteen, he got so upset in a game at the Oakland Coliseum about his defense and the way he was pitching, he fired the baseball back at the dugout one game. And what else I think about is the nineteen eighty eight World Series. And I also think about all the Dodger greats whose careers ended in Oakland with the Athletics. So we'll share that with you as well your phone calls as we roll to the bottom of the hour on Dodger Talk after the A's salvage the final game of this series seven to one on A five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Seventy. Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com hand on the iHeartRadio app back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Vasse.
Speaker 3: Two balls with a strike to Freeman.
Speaker 2: He walt and stole second in the first These swings and hammers what d.
Speaker 3: Bright fan way back? It goes up on home run Hill. He ties the game.
Speaker 2: Freddie Freeman home run number fourteen in the three hundred and eighty first home run of his career. Freddie Freeman with the only run the Dodgers score tonight as the Dodgers fall to the A seven to one, but they have a great nine game road trip, winning seven of nine, averaging six runs per game, sweeping the Twins in Minneapolis, taking two out of three in San Diego, and taking two out of three in Sacramento. Daniels Jewlers presents the home run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card. Visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com used the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. I'll repeat this again because I just got a voice memo from Greg Bissonette, one of the all time great drummers and huge Dodger fan. He actually plays still in Ringo Stars All Star Band with my guy Colin Hay, and he again doesn't understand, like so many may not, why the Dodgers allow Charlie Barnes to stay out there for seven innings, giving up twelve hits, including three home runs and seven earn runs.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to go.
Speaker 2: As far as to say the Dodgers punted this game, because that's if you look at their lineup, that's not what they did. But they needed Charlie Barnes to take down as many innings as possible, and he did. Because the Dodgers are in the middle of thirteen in a row. The Dodgers are playing with house money, fifty six wins, they have a twelve game lead over the Padres, and even if they had a five game lead over the Padres, I don't believe they would do anything differently because they aren't thirteen in a row. They still want to manage the workload of their bullpen in the middle of thirteen straight games, with ten with a ten game homestand at Dodgers Stadium. And this is all This is all about Otani and wanting to give him two extra days to get that left knee cooled down because they have to manage that left knee. Also, the Dodgers said yesterday that Otani was only going to pitch twice before the All Star break, only two more times before the All Star break, and that's going to be this Friday. And since the only pitches once a week, it's probably going to be a week from Friday, which would preclude him from starting in the All Star Game. It feels like that's a long shot. Dave Roberts has not made that official, but with where the way they have I've changed his schedule, the way they've talked about how they're going to have to manage that left knee, not to mention the blister on his right pitching hand, I just don't see any way the Dodgers allow Otani to start that game.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: If he wants to, the Dodgers may try to reason with him, but you know, usually Otani knows his body better than anybody else, and he's earned that trust. But I just don't see that happening. With the game in Philly and right after the All Star break, the Dodgers have another long road trip, a long East Coast road trip three eight Yankee Stadium, three in Philadelphia, and then three more at City Field. So all of that mixed in. I just don't see how Otani or why Otani would pitch in the All Star Game. And speaking of the All Star Game, the voting ends Phase two, and that's the final phase ends tomorrow at nine am Pacific time. And right now, Freddie Freeman has a sizable lead on Matt Olsen. Freddie has fifty nine percent of the vote. The Dodgers don't have a second basement in the mix, but Ozzie Albius of the Braves is leading that one by a lot over Bryson Stott shortstop rightfully, so cj. Abrams is beating out Mookie bet cj. Abrams is having an incredible year for the Nationals. Max Munsey, Thank goodness, the fans out there have recognized that Muncie is the best third baseman in the National League and one of the top five in all of baseball. He has sixty one percent of the vote over Alec Boehme, and at catcher, Drake Baldwin is going to win that because Dave Roberts said officially today that Will Smith will not play a game before the All Star break, that neck issue has prevented Will Smith from participating in baseball activities. And if you've been listening to Dodger Talk the last four or five six days after Dave Roberts told us in Minnesota that Will Smith would need rehab games before he played, there's only ten games left. How is he going to do that and play before the All Star breaks? So all these tweets are going out like it's brand new breaking news, it's not if you've been listening to the show. Okay, So Drake Baldwin the catcher for the Braves and he's had a great year.
Speaker 3: Now here we go.
Speaker 2: On the outfield, Andy pie has for a long time was the leading vote getter among National League outfielders.
Speaker 3: Well right now, at.
Speaker 2: The voting closed, he would be on the outside looking in because he's one percent back of the final outfield spot, which is currently held by Michael Harris. The second Brandon marsh has twenty three percent, Won Soto eighteen percent, Michael Harris sixteen percent. Piez is down to fifteen percent, ti Oscar Hernandez fourteen percent. So get to MLB dot com slash vote out to try to get Paz at the very least into the All Star Game. If it's me, Here's who I believe should start in.
Speaker 3: The outfield for the National League.
Speaker 2: The three outfielders that I would have starting in the National League outfield for the All Star Game would be Picro Armstrong, it would be James Wood of the Nationals, and it would be Andy Pajz.
Speaker 3: Wan Soto's had a great year, but his team stinks.
Speaker 2: They're having one of the more embarrassing first halves of any team. How could you reward Juan Soto for being part of that team. I know he's having a great individual year, but the Mets are a hot mess.
Speaker 3: I don't see how you reward Wan Soda with that.
Speaker 2: But it is the All Star Game, so I could see that you want to see Sodo in there. You want to see the stars. So I get that that's fine. But still I would have James Wood, Pi Crow Armstrong, and Juan Soto.
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 2: And Paz should be part of the team, maybe not as a starter, but as a reserve. Eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Andrew and Beaumont. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Andrew, Hey.
Speaker 5: I'm doing great, Dave. Thank you for taking my call. Longtime listener, I just wanted to chime in and just say, you know what a great job you've done over the past. I don't know, like I've been listening for over ten years, and I know you've covered each game that Dave Roberts has won, and I know he got his flowers that I want to give you your flowers for just doing an outstanding job and just keeping LA informed with everything Dodgers and being the best resource and just the most knowledgeable compared to you know, seven ten. So I appreciate you, Dave.
Speaker 2: Hey, Andrew, that warms my heart. Thank you for taking the time to call in and say those things.
Speaker 3: All I'm doing is.
Speaker 2: Documenting every day that the Dodgers have and especially documenting it as best as I can the last three years because this is a historic time. I mean, these guys are going for a three peet that is something historic, not only in franchise history, but in baseball history. So you got to document it, you got to talk about it, you got to celebrate it. And right now things are looking really good for them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I really appreciate you narrating basically the whole journey, the whole trip, especially the golden age of a Dodger baseball and to just a round this out, I just.
Speaker 5: Want to get your thoughts on the pitching that's coming back after the All Star Great.
Speaker 6: Thank you again, Dave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my pleasure. Andrew, thank you for listening for so long. I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 2: Blake Snell is basically where a pitcher would be at the beginning of spring training. It takes starting pitchers six weeks to build up for a season. So if you do the math on the calendar, that would put Snell coming back and starting a game at the end of July. In fact, specifically the last week of July. That is six weeks from his first bullpen session a couple of weeks ago. So I'm looking at that homestand where the Dodgers come back from New York, Philly and New York and play the Mariners and Red Sox at Dodgers Stadium. That's when I see Snell coming back and being activated and never looking back, similar to last year. When Snell comes back, he has told me he feels fantastic. He's got more range of motion than he's ever had since before the loose bodies procedure that doctor Elatrosh performs. So I'm looking for big things from Snell and that's gonna tell the Dodgers where they're at at the trade deadline on August third, Where Snell's at, where Glass now is at. And let's not forget about Robleski. You know, we talk about four starters that you know, the Dodgers have. I think Otani's where Otani is pitching wise, house Nell's feeling where Glass Nail's at is really going to dictate whether or not the Dodgers get aggressive for a starting pitcher like Trek Skouoble, or whether or not they do something that they did last year and just fill out the margins on their roster or bolster their minor league system because they are a little thin with starters in the minor leagues right now, as hard as that is to believe. But also maybe a third catcher, maybe a backup catcher. Where is this Will Smith neck thing going? I know Dave Roberts insists that it's not, you know, a season type of affecting injury, but it has affected his season. He hasn't played since June fifth, So it hasn't impacted his season, and he's thirty one years old. He's had concussion is huge issues. He broke his wrist his hand last year. He caught every single inning of the World Series, including all eighteen innings. So it is concerning. I don't care how much Dave Roberts says it's not to me. It is very concerning. Eight six sixne eight seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: Dodgers fall to the A's tonight, seven to one.
Speaker 2: They still maintain a twelve game lead over the Padres, twelve and a half game lead over the Diamondbacks after a seven to two road trip from Minnesota to San Diego to Sacramento. Eight eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Happy to be back in LA, Happy to be able to get back into my Ionic nine, to be able to drive to Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: If you see an Ionic nine, a.
Speaker 2: Dodger blue on the outside, Dodger blue lights on the inside, that's because my guy Sam at Downy Hunday hooked it up. So thank you to them, and they present our managers meeting every week with Dave Roberts and tomorrow. Dave Roberts will be our special guest as we look back at his one thousandth win as a manager. So hope you're here to join us. If you're not before the game, we'll share that conversation with you after the game on Dodger Talk eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy Hey, speaking of injuries and the Dodgers getting guys back. So, Charlie Barnes pitched seven innings and through what ninety something pitches tonight, He's being optioned down. Paul Gervas is getting called up. He'll be part of the Dodger bullpen tomorrow, maybe Friday. But then I see Evan Phillips taking his spot in the Dodger bullpen.
Speaker 3: Because Phillips pitched.
Speaker 2: Again tonight for Oklahoma City, struck out the side in his scoreless inning of work. So Dave Roberts has told us for the past three weeks that he expects Evan Phillips to be activated during this Padre series. So I think we'll know better if Pulgervas is needed tomorrow, because if you see Paul Gervas come out of that Dodger bullpen and pitch innings, tomorrow. That likely means that Paul Gervas is going to be optioned after the game, if not after the game, maybe after the second game of the series. And Evan Phillips is going to be activated. And now you're talking about an incredible bullpen that is straying a round into form. Now, I'm not gonna say it's easy coming back after missing a year, don't get me wrong. But you get Evan Phillips back, you get the rust off of Evan Phillips, you got Evan Phillips, you got Broc Stewart, you got Alex Vesia, you got Tanner Scott, and you got Edwin Diaz coming off the il after the All Star break.
Speaker 3: That's a pretty good bullpen.
Speaker 2: And it certainly changes the complexion of the Dodgers' late innings and shortening the game. Also, I gotta get this in. You tell me if I'm missing anybody from this list. So if you go back and look at your old baseball cards in the eighties, you may see old Dodgers, Dodgers that made huge impacts in their careers wearing Dodger blue. I'm talking about guys like Steve jeger Ron, Say, Dusty Baker, Davey Lopes, go back and look at your baseball cards or just google these names and type in A's and you're gonna see these guys in A's uniforms in like nineteen eighty seven or nineteen eighty eight. I think Steve Yeger finished his career with the Mariners. I have a nineteen eighty seven fleerer of Steve Jeger in a Mariner's uniform. But you think back, Dusty Baker, Davey Lopes, Ron say, Steve Yeger, no, mar Garcia Para, Eric carros and even Mike Piazza all finished their careers playing for the Oakland Athletics. And I joke with Eric Carros a lot, I say, you know what, do you realize how many Dodger greats careers go to Doe in Oakland? All of these guys, Am I missing anybody? It feels like that's where the A's would take guys at the end of their careers and hope they could squeeze just a little bit more out of these great Dodgers.
Speaker 3: That's the way.
Speaker 2: That's my perception, And I know the A's have had a lot of great players over the years where they're uniform but in the eighties especially, and a little bit with no Mark Harrison Piazza in the last twenty years, but especially in the eighties, those old time Dodgers, they always seem to wind up in Oakland, And you know, that's one of the things I think about when the Dodgers play the A's, whether it's Oral Hersheiser and the eighty eight World Series, the seventy four World Series, or even Clayton Kershaw firing a dead ball into the Dodger dugout. Those are some of the memories I have. And maybe one of my coolest experiences was when Mark McGuire, the hitting coach for the Dodgers in twenty thirteen, the Dodgers went back to the Oakland Coliseum and I would interview Mark McGuire in Oakland, and he said, you know what, why don't we go out to first base and do the interview at first base? So that was one of the coolest experiences.
Speaker 3: I ever had.
Speaker 2: Mark McGuire, Dodger hitting coach, said Hey, let's go out to first space and let's do the interview. Where I used to play for the A's and make my name and hit forty nine home runs as a rookie in nineteen eighty seven. So and that was a bobblehead night for Mark McGuire in Oakland, and he deserves all the celebration he gets because he was one of the greatest players to ever play this game. And one of his sons, Mason McGuire, is actually a pitcher in the Cubs organization who was out there with his brother Max, and when I interviewed his dad, they would always be around the team when they were ten eleven years old. Now, Mason McGuire is going to be pitching in the Futures Game part of the Cubs organization in Philadelphia. So congratulations to Mason McGuire. Also, Jozwey De Paula and Mike Sioda of the Dodgers are going to be part of the Futures Game as well in Philadelphia, so that's something to look forward to as well. All Right, that'll do it for us on Dodger Talk Tonight. Tomorrow, the Dodgers return home for a ten game homestand Roki Sasaki will be on the mound against the Padres, going up against Randy Vasquez. Sasaki's three and five with an ERA of four eighty eight Vasquez six and six with an ERA of four forty four. Remember last Saturday, the Padres used an opener, then brought in Randy Vasquez. He gave up six runs and the Dodgers beat the Padres by scoring fifteen runs last Saturday night. We'll see whether or not the Dodgers could put up a ten spot at least Tomorrow. Our coverage begins at six o'clock, First pitch at seven ten from Dodgers Stadium with Rick Monday, Charlie Steiner and Steven Nelson and Dave Roberts. Don't Forget will be our pregame guest as he returns to Dodger Stadium with a thousand wins in his managerial career and counting.
Speaker 3: Thanks to Colin Yee back at our.
Speaker 2: Burbank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald and Sacramento, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it the iHeartRadio app. Coming up next will be Fox Sports Radio Ben Maller at the top of the hour. We will talk to you tomorrow night from Dodgers Stadium once again. The final score Tonight in Sacramento, the A's get a rare win against the Dodgers seven to one.
Speaker 3: Be safe see y