Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. He keeps their heads ringing every year, and he's making the All Star team again the tenth time in his major league career. Freddie Freeman is going to be representing the National League fifth time with the Dodgers, sixth time, a starter and rightfully so, a great ambassador for the game as well as being one of the great players this game has ever seen. Freddie, thank you for the time. Sorry for making you uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: You certainly did, but I appreciate those words. Yeah, ten times, pretty special. Looking forward to.
Speaker 1: It, all right, So I don't know if you don't listen to the show. So I'm going to fill you in on what I'm calling you these days. Frisky Freddie, the fountain of youth. Those legs have founded, Freddy.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately it didn't work yesterday. I got thrown out at home plate. But yeah, no, I feel good. I do trying to stop the age curve. We've got a couple of guys on our team, Max making the All Star Game at thirty five plus years old. So you know, all you can do is just try and stay healthy, keep your body in shape and We're doing a good job of that right.
Speaker 1: Now, Freddie. I don't think people appreciate the fact how much pain and limitations you were playing through last year. Is this the best you've moved in a while because of the lower half being healthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, pre surgery, for sure. Last year was a grind. You know, I was taping my ankle all the way up until probably August. Just I was in a you know, really confined to not being able to move at first base. There's just a lot of limitations I had last year. I mean, I still feel like I put out some decent numbers last year, but this year it's, you know, I can stick to my routine. I don't have to worry about getting in the training room for hours and on end just to get on the baseball field. It's definitely a freeing feeling, and you know, it's obviously showing I can stay on the field. Doc's not worrying about having to sit me and take my get off my feet. And just like right now, we're in the span of thirteen games in a row and I'm probably gonna play a thirteen, So I don't think that would have happened last year. And but yeah, probably pre sarve you, this is the best I felt.
Speaker 1: How long would you have to get into the training room? What time would you have to get to the stadium for a seven to ten game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd probably have to get there at like twelve thirty and then it'd take probably two and a half hours for me to get on the field. And that was just last year when I first heard it. You guys know, I was probably in the training room for about five hours trying to get on the field in twenty twenty four playoffs. So now I could just kind of show up and just get myself ready for the games, which is nice. But yeah, a lot of work and a lot of thanks to the training staff, so much time and effort. I know, you guys just see me, but so much work goes behind the scenes of getting us onto the field. So Bernard Lee, Thomas Albott, there's so many guys that helped me get on the field last year and kept me on the field, So big credit to them.
Speaker 1: Freddie, speaking of gratitude, from what I saw in the video I heard yesterday, when Dave Roberts was going through the announcements of All Stars, you stopped it and said Hey, we got to thank the coaches because the coaches have helped us all get better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's one of the special things obviously when you make it to the World Series, the coaching staff and the manager gets to be the ULCER game manager the next year, and coaching staff. So like I just said about our training staff there. I mean, you see right now as we're doing this interview, you have Edmund is about to do live and Blakes now, and you see seven different coaches out there working and training staff watching, and there's just so many people behind the scenes that make this engine to run. You know, it really is a true team effort around here, and I just wanted to, you know, make sure we stopped and thank Doc and their staff, because I know everyone comes to see the players, but there are so many people that help us get on the field and get it and make us be better at this game, and just wanted to make sure we recognize them as well.
Speaker 1: Freddy, You're one of those players that really stand out to me that really embraces and understands what it means to be an All Star. You want to be there, you want to be part of everything. Where does that come from to really appreciate still at this stage of your career, ten years being an all start to love it and treat it the way you did your first year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I always say maybe it's just kind of how we came up seventeen years ago. Coming up in the big leagues is a little different than coming up now. I don't know. When you get voted in by either your peers, the fans, the league, whoever votes you in, it's truly an honor and you never know when it could be your first, it could be your last, it could be you just don't know if that's the last All Star Game that you'll ever go to. So I always try and you know, appreciate those moments. It's such hard work that goes into it to make an All Star Game, so I like to show up and be there. And it also for me, it creates memories with my family and those little things that are special because you know, unfortunately I am coming toward the end of my career. Hopefully it's a few more years down the road, but it's just a little moments and little memories that will have forever. And this game has given so much to me, so the least I can do is you know, give it, give myself back to the game when when it calls me to do so.
Speaker 1: Does Freddie Freeman allow himself to appreciate the moments more now than he did even five years ago.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. It's as you get older and I've been blessed to play this game, but seventeen years now in the big leagues, and as I've gotten older, you start appreciating because you know it's going to be coming to the end.
Speaker 1: It never will Freddy stop saying that.
Speaker 2: No, I mean you count it counted on one hand now of the years that I'll that I'm going to play left. So yeah, it's I'm trying to force myself to stop and take a second and you know, take in the little things. It's you know, like we're here in July fifth and it's an absolutely gorgeous day and you see the green grass in these seats and it's special. So you just as you get older, you take it in and really that all the hard work that you've done since you know, since I was four or five years old and playing and loving this game, and to be recognized as one of the game's best, Yeah, I take it in and try and for a second, you know, realize how hard it is to do this game and to accomplish and have success. And you know, we're doing a great job so far trying to take in those little moments. I guess that's just comes with age.
Speaker 1: Freddie Freeman is our guest before I let you go. Obviously a lot of great videos of Charlie meeting the All Stars. You got the two little boys, you got your baby girl coming with you to Philadelphia. Is there any players that Charlie has latched onto that he wants to meet with the National League All Stars? Have the little boys start to latch onto other players.
Speaker 2: So we're really into opening baseball cards now, so they have their all three boys have their own binders. Charlie has them by teams. He came yesterday and he started getting the Dodger teams. I obviously he loves Show Hey, so he's gonna get all the show show Hay cards sign. But I think it's Jacob Mezerowski. He's really wanting to get his Jacob Mezerowski cards signed. So I'll try and make that wish come true in a week or so. But they're just you know, Charlie loves everything about it. He's already talking about getting all his cards signed, getting his hat signed. He's oh, he has this King Griffy Junior card and he wants because last year Ken Griffy signed his hat, so he wants to get his card signed this year. So those are the kind of cool things that I love. And it helps him come out of his shell, you know, like as a nine year old to be forced to go up to say when and I say, Hi, Ken, can I please get your autographs? It's fun for me to see the joy in his face to have to go up and do that kind of stuff and him branch out and show his personality. So I'm gonna have a blaster in the home run derby because all three boys will be down there getting autographs, running around. So it's gonna be a good time.
Speaker 1: It's like the theme of Toy Story five. Stop looking at the iPad, have some social interaction pretty much.
Speaker 2: And it's a good force. You know, forced him to get some autographs, and just like yesterday he was going to just say, hey, can I have your autograph to Paul Gervais because he pulled one of Paul's cards and I said no, you have to say Hi, Paul, can I please? And he was like, no, I can just I said, no, Charlie, I won't let you ask him unless you say his first name. So I just it's a little teaching thing, and make sure you look him in the eyes, and you know we're making him grow as a nine year old.
Speaker 1: Loved it, Freddie, how about the kids? They love the babblehead. Tomorrow night's bibblehead night. What did they think about the giant babblehead you were gifted?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I took home the giant bubblehead, so I facetimed him when I first got the big bubblehead and they didn't realize how big it was on FaceTime and then went after the game yesterday, Max's eyes were just so big and so shocked of how big that thing is. But no, it's pretty cool. So I'm trying to get a couple more. I know they're coming out to the fans, so maybe I'm gonna have to send some people into the lines to try and get me into a couple of big, big ones again, because one with three boys is it enough. But it's pretty cool. I've never seen a big one before or credit to the Dodgers and doing something different. That's pretty cool. My kids loved it.
Speaker 1: My vision for the Freeman family. Dad to Dad, it's kind of like Elf on the shelf, Dad's biblehead on the shelf. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, it's in the downstairs right now. I don't know if Max was kind of looking at it all weird because it was so big, and so I didn't want him to get scared. So it's kind of in the corner of the downstairs area. So we'll see if Charlie brings it into his room or not.
Speaker 1: Well, Tomorrow night is Bobblehead Night, the eighteen inning walk off home run for Freddie Freeman. Come out tickets are available on a great Monday night at Dodgers Stadium. Freddie, thanks a lot for the time. Congratulations on being named a Starter. You deserve it. That just shows you how much the fans still love and appreciate everything you do which you represent, and we can't wait to see you in the City of brotherly Love.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. Thank you David very much. Thank you fans for voting for me.