Speaker 1: Wolves fans get ready to join us for a Michaelovulterer Wolves watch party at Wild Boar and Bart Grille and Oakdale on November twenty sixth. Come I hang out with Caffeine's on Next Fuller from seven to nine pm and register on the site to win awesome prices plus enjoy food and drink specials while you cheer on the Wolves. Don't miss out all the details of Cafe dot com keyword calendar.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: To answer your question and Tommy, I don't think i'd be happy.
Speaker 4: So what just happened is I'm normally in here during Tommy's confessional in the other room. So I walk in, We're bs and about other things, and then Tommy, just off the top rope, asks a question that came out of nowhere. I'm like, is this how these normally go? And they're all like, yes, this is exactly how these go.
Speaker 5: This is it?
Speaker 2: Like Jesus, So I get out of here. All the questions like have you ever Oh no, it's so we're worried.
Speaker 4: To be honest to say, it was a smarrior that was extremely graphic and something that Chris would not be interested in. Tommy goes, yeah, but if you walk up a morning, would you be happy or sad?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you what, Why would I be happy about that?
Speaker 3: You heard the whole Corey, I did. The least likely part of that whole thing was me being in a club.
Speaker 2: The rest of it could happen sure or that person still being there in the morning, and you didn't find out at some point.
Speaker 3: At some point, I probably gonna say, I'm pretty sure those are testings.
Speaker 2: No one needs to know about this. Okay, quick, follo up? What does that make you happier? What a question?
Speaker 4: It wasn't would you would you do it it? Would it make you happy or sad?
Speaker 2: If you found that? Anyway?
Speaker 5: Tell me?
Speaker 2: Do you do you go to therapy? No? You probably should. That's number one. Number number two because I feel like.
Speaker 4: If you did go to therapy, this is you're testing the waters to see what you should say to your therapist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because years like, no, that's totally normal. That's cool, man.
Speaker 4: But if we're like dear God, then you go to your therapy and go partrip.
Speaker 2: Doesn't think that I'm normal, are they right? Yeah? They laughed really hard when I asked this question.
Speaker 5: They all wrong with me.
Speaker 2: Anyway, all right, let's talk.
Speaker 3: Let's know, this would normally be the news brought to you by Zecha.
Speaker 1: World Juniors, World Juniors m in two six dot com.
Speaker 2: Get your tickets right now.
Speaker 3: Right now, Thank you, thank you World Juniors. Yeah yeah, let's just talk college football, man. So uh so, what's up?
Speaker 6: Well we have uh it's it's the on the college football slite. We'll go back, We'll go to the Gophers after this. It's generally kind of a down weekend. Hawk, So it's this is we have two regular season weekends left, right, so next week yeah, so next weekend, I know, it's crazy. So next weekend's the big rivalry weekend go for. We'll go for versus our our rivals from the East. And then this weekend just a little bit different, right, But there's a lot of really important games in terms of seeing who's going to get into the college football playoff and of course into their conference championships. So the two big games on slate really are USC is eight and two and there at Oregon number eight.
Speaker 2: That's where college game Day is going.
Speaker 6: And I think right now is what is the points spread of meat sauce is at ten and a half Oregon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ten and a half.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it's one of those games. I think there's a lot of points in this game. But USC, which is kind of you know, they're eight and two. People think a USC win and then they'd beat UCLA next week, would get into the College Football Playoff, which probably happens, and an Oregon loss would probably keep organ out in Oregon. It would be it would finish roughly ten and two. So it's if you're the big it's gonna be fun for me to watch. If you think of the Big ten, then the official I think they're probably they're I think they're going to get some home calls at Oregon.
Speaker 2: But it's a game.
Speaker 6: On paper, it looks to be an Oregon w but I think I think the reason why Oregon wins I think Oregon's a bit better in the trenches than USC.
Speaker 3: Can I say something real quick, just make an observation, and this is not a shot at name, but I'm just making an observation about the dichotomy in college football. If a team like Oregon doesn't make the college football playoffs and they're that much better than the Gophers, how far away are we?
Speaker 6: I mean, I think we're I think I feel like in twenty twenty five, I feel like we're further away than I believed at the beginning of the season. I think the big here's the good news is it can all change in a manner of moments. Yeah, right, And I think if you when you know I've talked to guards you about this little bit.
Speaker 2: I talked to.
Speaker 6: Andy Greeder from the Pioneer Press last week at the airport flying back from from Portland.
Speaker 2: I think the difference right now is when you.
Speaker 6: Look at our recruitment of the Portal and the impact of the Portal on the program, I think we've missed. And I think if you look at the top teams in college football, they've sprinkled in a lot of impac hack players that are from the Portal. It's immediate fixes and that so that great news is we can go make those immediate fixes. But I would start in the trenches. That's where I think we've probably lost the most. I think if I look at that offensive line, we took kids in the Portal that aren't even playing right.
Speaker 2: So we we missed, and.
Speaker 6: You can't miss in the left Yeah, well, we got two guys that start for top top fifteen programs.
Speaker 2: Well, Howard as you gonna be a first round pick, right, Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, the tackle for Ohio State Daniels Daniels, Sorry.
Speaker 2: So Daniels.
Speaker 6: So we have Daniels who's a starting tackle at Ohio State, and we have Cat O'Connell who's a starting guard at Vanderbilt. So so it's about I mean, so you got to be better. We got to be better in our evaluation of the portal. And I would start with I would start in the trenches hot because I think if you it doesn't it does you no good when you have elite skill players if you can't block and shed blocks on the defensive side. So that's that's the biggest thing of when I when people ask like, ah, we seem far away, and I do think right now, we're far away, but it can change fast, im ago and guys, it's not. There's plenty of funding here. It's the revenue sharing is there. It's about your evaluation of the portal. And I love what Kurt Signetty does exactly. Kurt goes gets production, not potential production. Is a kid that's in the MAC that shows that shows that he can produce at a college football level. He's got he's got a lot of catches, he's got yards after the catch, he's got a great he's an efficient pastor.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like we did with Brozemer, right, he's super productive where he was.
Speaker 2: And the other thing though, And I'm not, as Hawk said, I'm not trying to be mean. This is going to sound mean. You can't look uncompetitive on the road.
Speaker 4: You just can't go into every road situation and lay an absolute egg.
Speaker 2: That doesn't help.
Speaker 6: It's not And I think, you know, those games could have been played at Huntington Bank, and honestly, I think the square the score could have been very similar. You can't be that uncompetitive with conference opponents. I mean, I don't care if they're you know, and again Ohio State might you might talk yourself into that because they're pretty darn elite, But.
Speaker 2: It's the Iowa. It's the Iowa. It's frustrate me.
Speaker 6: Is just like even last week I told Katy, I guess we needed another week to prepare for Oregon, Like you had two weeks to prepare.
Speaker 2: In a.
Speaker 7: Game.
Speaker 6: It's yeah, but you have to like you have to have these you have to have a game. It's is it coaches, players or scheme and and and right now, it's kind of a lot of everything, and and I think first and foremost, you got to show a level of preparation and execution that's better. The miss tackles last week, you know, was it was the guy in for the touchdown after he broke fifteen tackles. No, I don't think that was a touchdown. He was awarded a touchdown, but don't miss fifteen tackles?
Speaker 2: Yeah, flash.
Speaker 4: Do you think in Drake Lindsay's career with the University of Minnesota at some point he'll be a top ten quarterback in the country?
Speaker 5: Is level?
Speaker 2: I think he is?
Speaker 6: I think, But but he only he only gets through with you. He's got everything around him. And that's where I get super concerned with the offensive line. At the offense line right now, is like, isn't going to get him to be a top ten quarterback?
Speaker 4: What do you think he is now? By the way, Uh, he's probably thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he's probably top thirty. But he is he is different.
Speaker 6: I mean, you've seen you've seen bits and pieces, but a lot of it's gonna be what's around him. We're going to talk about the Prep Bowl a little bit today when you watch the six to eight state championship game tomorrow, Morehead versus a dynam Morehead.
Speaker 2: As a wise requ Morehead as a wide receiver. He was at Ohio State last week.
Speaker 6: There's a there's there's talent even in this state that would hail that would help Drake Lindsay, right, So you got to get the line around him to give him time, and then you got to get the playmakers that can create separation and and not drop footballs.
Speaker 8: How do they hand how do they handle the portal right now at the Gophers, because it sounds like it's different at a lot of different places.
Speaker 5: Do they actually have a GM? Yeah, there somebody that is like the the GM.
Speaker 6: The GM is handling more of the revenue sharing and and and I a little bit.
Speaker 5: And so who's scouting and evaluation.
Speaker 6: There's there's there's a separate people, the separate department. Yeah, just like a recruiting staff. So there's a recruiting people you have right now. They actually have three parts of it. You have someone that's out you know, who's leading the efforts with high schools, which is still part of it. I will say, I think any college coach in the country would tell you it's a less of their focus than it used to be. What PJ has done this month is he's actually hit the junior colleges really hard and he got three kids, I think three that are pretty One is the top wide receiver in junior college football, which I think that's a good thing to focus on. And then you have someone focusing on the portal. And the portal is a tough one because you don't really know who's in.
Speaker 2: Yet, right you don't that's interested.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, in the next three weeks, we're gonna see kids jumping into the portal. And it's such a quick dating game because they jump in and that things open for about three weeks and then it closes, and so your evaluation has to be quick and it and I talked to Max Osmu's dad when he came to the Gophers. He said, justin we opened up the portal in ninety minutes, we had been contacted by fifty schools, ye fifty five zero, So then you have to whittle that down to say what fits us best. They came out here early because they felt it was a good fit. But it was a really strong evaluation of each other, like what does Minnesota have for Max? What does Max have for Minnesota? And you know he fell in love with it, but he had other programs similar to Minnesota. Think like a Virginia attack of Pittsburgh that we're also interested.
Speaker 2: So you have to be right. And that's my issue.
Speaker 6: When you have cornerbacks an offensive line that came from the portal that you gave a lot of revenue sharing money to and they're sitting on scout team you missed in the portal.
Speaker 2: That's the hardest part.
Speaker 6: And you can't do that, not not here the portal. Players have to be starters. They have to be there. Their their window to their typical window of eligibilities of like a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, all right, we got we got a break.
Speaker 3: We got to go to HyG Vee with Grenard and then we'll in my back said, okay, everybody cool.
Speaker 2: You just take your own flash or what? All right? Right now, Tommy, you gotta go or not?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: I can say one more, right, he can say too.
Speaker 7: Okay, good time now for the Vikings Report presented by hy Vey, the official grocery partner of the Minnesota Vikings. Linebacker Jonathan Grenard. It joins the Power Trip next thanks to Ivy.
Speaker 5: Cafean and the.
Speaker 2: Okay oh man, Oh no he's the pass? Is he choking?
Speaker 5: Hello? Hellou Hi there we go.
Speaker 1: Join camp fan Scory Cove this Friday at Bee fifty tueson Lakeville for cors Light Hockey Night drop by starting at six o'clock to catch Minnesota take on Pittsburgh, enjoy ice Cold, Corps Light specials, and played trivia for your chance to win great prizes, including sweet tickets to a game in Janie ware gets full details now cafean dot com keyword calendar.
Speaker 3: Do you guys realize we missed Mussman's birthday this week?
Speaker 2: We did? Yeah, seventy.
Speaker 3: I don't know howday is sixty lb. But he was six, so he didn't make it in Oh really yeah yeah yeah that sucks. Yeah, we love you, mister mulated Bobby.
Speaker 6: Brother did are you going to this thing on Friday night for a whole Yeah?
Speaker 4: Tomorrow's uh in Lakefield be fifty two? What time will that be? Six?
Speaker 2: Six eight?
Speaker 5: Said six o'clock.
Speaker 6: Then you'll have you will be watching the one of the TVs will have more head eight and four at a Dina State champions four.
Speaker 2: That's our squad, would stop it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's my squad who wins and why I've never seen him play.
Speaker 6: So I this this. You guys have to watch this game because it's going to be an entertaining game. I'm helping out Chris Long on the sideline for Channel forty five.
Speaker 2: I would say to the ram two of the best quarterbacks in the state.
Speaker 6: So you have Mason West always he's just willing his.
Speaker 2: Team to the state championship.
Speaker 6: I mean they they've won the last three games minnetaka Eden Prairie in Forest Lake by a combined four points.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is crazy, right, Which team is that again? This is a Dina the hockey player. Yeah, yeah, And it's funny.
Speaker 6: We did an interview with the More head coach this week and he and you know More at his the state defending champion in hockey, and he goes, the cool thing about Mason West is how many kids of that caliber of a hockey player would actually play football. Because in the state, if you're in lead hockey player hockey by freshman year, you're like, yeah, football's done, I'm gonna focus on hockey. So when he said that and we repeated that to the Dina coach. He goes, we have four starting football players that are starters on the hockey team.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 6: What Yeah, And as Ben said I walked in, he goes, it's because Mason West has has built the expectation.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, My guest, My guess is that when you're when you're stud athlete, who's you know, Michigan State bound, undrafted in the first round by the by the Blackhawks. If he's like, no, I'm committed to this football team and I won't play, and he's been very vocal about that, then like Chase Buergard, who's the starting goalie and running back, I'm sure. Yeah, he's also like, well, if he's gonna play, I'm gonna play. And then if the other two guys that start in the hockey team, like, if those guys are gonna play, then I'm gonna play. And let's finish this thing out, like let's win a state title.
Speaker 6: They were so close two years ago. Yeah, they can pull it off this so it will be this will be a shootout. This is the team that has the football last will win. And I forget the score when they played like about a month ago. I think it was like fifty literally fifty to forty nine really, So this game will have that type of offense, and both coaches have said it's not really about stopping the other team is it's trying to roughly contain them. But Mason West a great quarterback for a DYNA senior NHL draft pick. Morit has a kid named Jet Feeney junior Division one quarterback. People say he's probably the best quarterback in.
Speaker 2: The stage or he's only a junior.
Speaker 6: And he has a wide receiver David Mack who is the top they say, maybe one of the top five receivers in the country. Who Ohio State is trying to likely have him join them, So that game will be an amazing game. I'm gonna take my kind of hometown Mori ed Spuds to win that one. And then before that, if you remember, we had a Gopher recruit who was choosing between Minnesota and Alabama in the re currering process, and of course he took Minnesota. So Roman Vass from Jackson County Central let's go is right before that game, six foot four, probably two forty in moves like a wide receiver.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, what position does he play? Everything? Oh wow, I think the coach.
Speaker 6: He's been starting since eighth grade, and I believe they said he has over ten thousand career yards.
Speaker 3: Hold on what You're allowed to start high school football as you are?
Speaker 6: Yes, wow, Jackson County Central four o'clock kick on Channel forty five.
Speaker 2: So say there's a high school lineup? Dude, are we just straight up you died on Morehead? Sure? Yeah, okay, twenty five bucks. Yeah, we're in.
Speaker 4: If you are keeping track at home, and I know a lot of people are technically, then in this very episode of the Power Tip morn until we have discussed betting on the death of fifteen horses at Santa I Need, and now we are betting on high school on our squad, gambling on the death of animals and high school athletics. This is the power of my squash.
Speaker 2: Well, of course we all do bet on college football.
Speaker 6: So Ben and I struggle, howk because we said this week was kind of a little bit of a garbage week, but we love to turn on the TV Saturday and watch a bunch of games, and so we we went back and forth. Actually kind of this morning, and I'm going to take a game that has a lot of implications. So we're going to take Ben is taking Oklahoma coming off a ginormous upset at Alabama. He has Oklahoma. I think it's minus seven and a half. He's taking Oklahoma in Missouri, who has a game time decision on their starting quarterback. If it's the if it's their experienced quarterback, I'm feeling great. If it's not, they put back in a true freshman. And so I'm taking a seven and three Missouri team plus seven and a half.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's seven and a half.
Speaker 6: Yep, there you go power and so go Tigers. And in the Gopher game, I think the Gopher games tricky one. I think both teams.
Speaker 5: Are they play this weekend.
Speaker 6: The Gophers actually go to Wrigley Field. Tom he's on his way and.
Speaker 2: Driving.
Speaker 6: He probably, I mean, he's not gonna make it, is he. But anyways, I don't think.
Speaker 4: He's basically landing in Indiana doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you know, so again people are probably wondering why wrigley Field. Northwestern is in the process of building this amazing stadium and I think it opens up next season. So they've been out of their stadium for a couple of years. They have a they have a on their campus. They have kind of a temporary stadium. It's a little bit like a high school stand that they've played a lot of games. But when the Cubs are done playing, they go downtown and play at Wrigley Field. So that's why the games are this last this week. Last week they played Michigan there. If they did everything they could to try to win that game, they lost in a last second field goal.
Speaker 2: But these are two teams pretty similar.
Speaker 6: If you look at all the stats, you know, Minnesota's offense is number one twenty six out of one hundred and thirty four teams in the country in total offense. Northwestern is a little bit better at one hundred and five. Defensively, both teams ranked kind of in that top forty in terms of total defense. You can think of the field conditions, the home field advantage maybe kind of favor Northwestern. That's why I think Northwestern's minus three and a half. But I'm gonna go with my hometown team here, and I think Minnesota is gonna find a way and they kind of need to to show that you can win on the road, and so I'm gonna take my my Golden Gophers twenty, Wildcats seventeen.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 6: Wow, interesting, You're gonna have to find a way to stop a room good running attack of Northwestern. And then, just like Corey said earlier, I think we're going to see our boy, Drake Lindsay come of age and get get a lot more Darius Taylor. That run defense is good for Northwestern, but not nearly as good as Oregon. So Darius is healthy again, get the running game going, finding some balance. But it's gonna be a really, it's gonna be a great football game.
Speaker 3: Another Minnesota quarterback just developing him right before.
Speaker 2: Guys, that's what we do here. Apparently look out justin thanks for your time, Thanksgiving brother. We'll see in two weeks.
Speaker 4: In two weeks, Vikings News in a second with Ben Leeber, a former Vikings linebacker, right after this on the.
Speaker 2: All right, so we're not quite sure.
Speaker 4: This smells like the building's on fire, but we're I don't know, there's no alarm going.
Speaker 2: Off, so I think we're fine. I think we're fine.
Speaker 8: It's cool, you know, I think it's a a while for the electrical fires to actually register with the smoke alarms because good, yeah, yeah, because it's not like smoky.
Speaker 5: It just has that electrical fire smell.
Speaker 4: We're fine every time we have for like an hour, every time we have one of them, Yeah, well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Every time we have one of these.
Speaker 4: Conversations, I always think, like, let's say the building started on fire and we were all trapped on this end of the building and all burned to our deaths.
Speaker 2: This audio would live in infamy. Remember when the Pate jokes.
Speaker 4: About the electrical fire smell, and then the whole building burnt to the ground and they.
Speaker 2: All died, and it was like that great white bit.
Speaker 4: Sure they thought it was so funny at seven forty three in the morning, and then it happened.
Speaker 8: So what would it take for us to throw a chair through that window and actually go out the window?
Speaker 5: That would like we would have You have to have like this triple pain.
Speaker 2: Ben's strong. He can get a chair through this window.
Speaker 5: See him try? Yeah, you really would like if you do?
Speaker 4: Or what it's life and death, Zachary, He's gonna throw you through that window.
Speaker 2: Mark him down for two for the death. This is where we need star for the bid.
Speaker 5: Think we could do it? I mean you think they would.
Speaker 2: Just aren't we about to change some things up, I think up. Yeah, good timing. All right, Let's let's finish up a bit from an hour ago. Is the Vikings news, No, but we'll get to that in a second. Let's sen this is more important.
Speaker 4: Let's see how much you sound like Joe Pesci from Yeah, because Heathcliff, Elizabeth Reese's youngest, right, the youngest, says that you sound exactly like.
Speaker 2: Joe Pesci from Home Alone. Let's see. Let's see if we can hear Chris Hockey's voice in this. What's wrong with you?
Speaker 9: Why do you do that? I told you not to do it? No tomorrow, good now? I mean, right now, looks like there's nobody home last night.
Speaker 2: The place is jumping something, right, I mean I can hear that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that last one for sure, because you do it like there's times that you kind of half whispered talk.
Speaker 9: And I mean, right now, looks like there's nobody home last night, the place is jumping.
Speaker 2: Something.
Speaker 5: I hear it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I get it. Sounds to me like charge brilliant man. Look like there's nobody home. Somebody right strong with you? Why do you do that? I told you not to do it? What's wrong with you? Why do you do that? I told you not to do it. Yeah, I don't know many now he calls you ahead all the time. Doubt there is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see yeah, I remember that famous line from Home Alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's great.
Speaker 8: All right, all right, I'll take it. I think he's onto something. Yeah, there's it's there. A little bit.
Speaker 5: You got what you got a little little pest.
Speaker 4: Can you ask Elizabeth if he did she if she did name him after the cat? Is it a family name or something? Where does it come from? We can't be related.
Speaker 2: That's a brilliant name, though. I thought you were doing the rosy bitch after the Cospice ship. His name was Heathcliff Huxtable Fuxtable. Sure, well, how old is he? Like five five?
Speaker 4: He's five? Yeah, so he was born after the Cosby stuff came out.
Speaker 2: Sure, because that's one of those things.
Speaker 4: If you name him after doctor doctor Huxtable, like fifteen years ago, you might be like, let's go with Heathcliff, and then all the Cosby news comes out and you're like, son of them exactly, I love my animated cat.
Speaker 2: Sure, let's hope it's not Cosby related.
Speaker 7: On The Power Trip presented behind hell yeah, oh yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: One last thing, one last thing. Twin City's lab related. Yeah. Elizabeth says a lot, especially you guys talked about the garbage pail kids last week, that all these things that she was not allowed to do as a kid growing up. Correct, right, that her household, her dad's a pastor or something, so it was a very like religious like, let's keep the let's keep it clean.
Speaker 2: She lets her kids, let's know, the Power Trip Morning Show. What is she do?
Speaker 5: That is? Jay?
Speaker 2: I think that's nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that is mostly JA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, teach and let them.
Speaker 5: So he gets Jay gets all the credit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, smart Jay.
Speaker 5: Classic Ja.
Speaker 4: Those kids are going to absolutely blend right into society perfectly.
Speaker 2: All right, vikings news. All right, Ben, here's the question for you.
Speaker 5: Okay, what's the question?
Speaker 3: Okay, because I'm going to play some audio from JJ McCarthy talking to the pressures.
Speaker 2: Did you hear any of that?
Speaker 8: I saw, I saw some stuff on social media, but I did not listen to it come out of his mouth.
Speaker 3: I find it interesting, and I have questions that are not critical, They're just questions. Trying to get that out of the way right away. Okay, understand where I'm coming from here, He talks about his quarterback journey.
Speaker 2: Coming in here.
Speaker 10: I was taught how to play quarterback in a very different way, and that's expected going into the league, going into any new team, any new system. But at the end of the day, you know, it was really just the injuries that I felt like, you know, kind of took away all those reps in the constant repetition to make those a habit and make them concrete. Like KOs talks about, I feel like, you know, it's just the repetitions. You know, how many times could I go home and every time I take the dogs out, I'm getting, you know, ten drops each time, Little things like that, where you just keep building the reps.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you need to work on most my posture.
Speaker 10: The way that I'm processing the defense in terms of I know what I'm getting, but let the rhythm of the play play out. You know, don't be getting to that answer too quick, because you know, it's a timing and rhythm of the concepts and the defenses and just decision making, just understanding, you know, the situation of the game, not just the concept that I'm trying to execute. Understand you know, like for instance, that first pick last game. You know it's four minutes going into half, we're on our own side of the territory, and just understand, you know, what that risk factors should be and go from there.
Speaker 2: So I'd say those things.
Speaker 3: Do you believe the coaching staff, specifically Ko and the quarterback coach.
Speaker 2: Helped me out? McCown yeah, Josh yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you believe they spend a lot of their time walking the fine line between letting the kid be a football player and teaching them how to be the football player they want.
Speaker 8: That's a great question, because it's one that I was thinking about myself on the way home from the game last week.
Speaker 2: Was just.
Speaker 8: I think this happens with a lot of players, and specifically gets magnified when you talk about quarterbacks because there is so much fundamental and technique and mechanics built into what they do. You don't want to make a quarterback mechanical. I think that is the worst thing that you can do for a player, is in any player, if you make them so formulaic.
Speaker 5: It's the thing that.
Speaker 8: We hated about Kirk Cousins, but it's also the thing that made him specifically great. And I was a big fan of what Kirk could do because he could rip it and you could throw it like like no other. But when you're a young quarterback and you're trying to sounds like they're trying to build this thing from ground zero, you don't want to. You don't want the guy to walk up to the line not only have to process what's going on in front of him with the defense, helps set the blocking protections, maybe change the play, and then as he gets the as he receives the football, then it's like, okay, one, two, three, how's my right foot, how's my arm angle here? How's like do you really want any player to be thinking about that? No, you want the player to be playing fast. And I think that's what he's talking about as far as making making everything concrete. When you make your habits and you make your fundamentals and your mechanics concrete, you no longer have to think about it.
Speaker 5: It's just it is what it is.
Speaker 8: And I do think with him having a lower body injury last year that prohibited him from having a lot of those reps in practice in game like situations, it's taken a much longer for those things to become concrete. But I I love your question because I think it's one valid. It is, how do how do you, in the course of a season in real life bullets on Sundays get a player to play free and fast, which is the best way to play, to play instinctful but yet smart, all the while working on your mechanics.
Speaker 2: I think it's a very difficult thing to do.
Speaker 4: We saw that last year with the Gophers, right when they basically said it took a couple of games for the coaching staff to just let Brozemer go, Just let them go, let's let the harness is off, just let them go.
Speaker 2: And obviously the numbers got better and better and better.
Speaker 4: We have seven games left, right, do they just unleash him and say, like, look, we got nothing to lose. Now we got to let the kid try. What do you do differently against the Packers than you've done the last five starts with JJ? What do you let him quote do and let him go?
Speaker 2: How do you do that? I mean different play calls or or like, how do you? I don't know.
Speaker 8: So I wonder if because it sounds like Ryan Kelly was a full participant yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yes he was, Yes he was. Yeh.
Speaker 8: If that remains to be true all the way through the week where he has no setbacks and he's your starting center. Not to say Blake Brandell didn't do a great job from the mental side of it. I thought he played really well in his absence. But maybe maybe part of it is taking a little bit off of his plate pre snap. I don't know how you necessarily do that, but because because the quarterback is so important with this type of system.
Speaker 2: But I do think that there.
Speaker 8: Is a way because people were asking me, like, how can we get him to play like he does in two minute more for the rest of the game. Well, what happens in two minute is there's less checks at the line. The defense is not disguising and doing things differently because they just have to get set up and ready to go, and they have to make sure that they're in the right place because the ball is getting snapped much quicker.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 8: So that's why a lot of people are like, well, why can't we just do two minute offense all the time? Well, it's it is predicated by what the defense is doing as well. So the reason why a lot of quarterbacks play faster in the offenses are more efficient is because the defense is not allowed to do the things that they're allowed to do. They become much more static and you get a munch cleaner read on what they're trying to do. So if you can get that from a mentality standpoint where you don't have to necessarily overthink what the defense is going to do, just let the guys go out there and win their routes and do whatever, and don't try to always put us in the perfect play.
Speaker 2: Just play the play and if it works, it works.
Speaker 8: If it doesn't, don't make a poor decision in a situation, try to force the ball in there. Just take the easy win, take the easy check down. Maybe that's the answer. And maybe having a guy like Ryan Kelly, who's who's a super vet that's really smart, have him handle some of the protection, have all the protection stuff, you call it out. You're close enough to the line, you'll understand what the protection is and where the guys are going to go. The running backs are gonna understand where they're supposed to go. You just handle what happens post snap. Maybe not so much the pre snap stuff. I don't know.
Speaker 5: That's that's a knee jerk reaction.
Speaker 8: And answer to like how you can get him to play a little fast check this out.
Speaker 3: I heard Guessling saying his podcast on my way in this morning that one of the things that they're hoping for, or they were hoping for when he came to the center, coming into such a veteran, is he could be the guy in the hew the looks of JJ McCarthy goes calm the freak down. This is just football. You know how to do this, And that's one of the reasons they brought him in because that's the kind of presence he is.
Speaker 2: Do you buy that at all? Sure? I buy that.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think at this point in time, you guys like Brian O'Neal should be saying that as well, like he's been a round enough players to understand like he's he's got that status. He's a leader on the team. Justin Jefferson should be saying that Aaron jon did. By the way, Aaron j Aaron Jones should be saying that, like these guys, guys, you don't just walk in as a second year guy and just because you are becoming a leader on the team that you automatically assume that you're untouchable. I mean, these guys should be coaching this kid up and be like, hey man, calm down, take a deep breath, get into your you know, get out of your headspace, and just play football.
Speaker 2: Super dumb question, because both of these are good answers.
Speaker 4: But I want to know, as a player, which game would you prefer to see McCarthy have he's had an interception?
Speaker 2: Okay, an interception.
Speaker 4: Or more in every game he's played, right one, two, one, two and two against the Packers on Sunday. Option A is let's say he throws for like two twenty a touchdown and no interceptions, or does something like Jacoby Brussette.
Speaker 2: No, that's the extreme.
Speaker 4: But let's say he throws for like three seventy and three touchdowns but has a pick or two, maybe even two. Would you rather see him light it up and move up and down the field but make a couple of mistakes, or.
Speaker 8: Would you rather see one really clean game? No, I want to see kind of like way we saw him in Detroit. You know, I want to see efficiency. I want to see him. I want to see him ripping, ripping, throws in there. As long as he doesn't throw an interception, If he has zero turnovers, we win this game zero. And the thing is our defense. We talk about it every single week. Why can't we take the ball away? Well, it's a it's a factor of this and a factor of that, and sometimes it's just luck.
Speaker 5: And you know, we got you got to create your own luck.
Speaker 8: But we got to do that without you know, playing out of our out of our minds and out of our responsibilities and all this other stuff. So like, if the defense is not taking the ball away, well we can't give the ball away. So I would rather take two twenty a touchdown.
Speaker 2: On zero picks. Just a clean game, Just a clean game.
Speaker 4: And maybe that wouldn't I wonder if that would be your answer if he hadn't consistently been a turnover machine. Because I don't care if you're Patrick Mahomes, right, Brett Farve's the all time example. But you need your quarterback to gamble. You can't always wait for the safe play, right. You got to throw fifty to fifty balls once in a while, and you're running as cold as McCarthy is. Fifty to fifty balls feel desperate, right, But ultimately, to be a winner, you got to gamble once in a while. You got to give your receivers a chance, but maybe not at the point where, yeah, McCarthy is, well, you know.
Speaker 8: The touchdown that he threw into the end zone or the interception he threw in the end zone. I know that that's critical situation. Can't give the ball away there. I almost can live with that one more than the more than the one where he tried to force you know, the ball sort of in that on that over route where he didn't see the safety coming down and playing that flat, Like, dude, you that's a very common coverage that you're going to see all the time. Like you have to understand that just because CJ. Hamm was in the flat, it doesn't mean that that guy's going to go down there and snug up on him like he's going to see a fullback in the flat and.
Speaker 5: He's going to that's a checkdown, Like why would he?
Speaker 8: So you have to expect that just because the guy looks like he's going to be open, this is his zone coverage where there's supposed to be somebody there roaming that area. So that one was the one that I was like, oh boy, like that was a really bad read. The one to Addison in the end zone. It's like, all right, he just didn't get enough on it. He's got to learn it to put if you're going to err on the side of caution, you got to you know, put that ball in the back of the end zone and don't throw it short. Okay, I'll live with that, even though it was a more of a dire situation.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 8: But it's the misread on some of these these like Cover three, like, you know, just basic, basic coverage things.
Speaker 4: Dumbest trivia question you're gonna hear on sports talk radio across the country today, Wow, dumbest. Okay, who has the best quarterback rating for the Vikings this season?
Speaker 2: It's the running back?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Acres cam Akers one and fifty eight point three perfect prostrating one for one with a touchdown, thank you.
Speaker 2: Out of the other three, rank him one two and three.
Speaker 4: Just passer rating alone one two and three.
Speaker 2: Well brose murg, Well McCarthy, what is her passes? His bros. Has thrown eight in the in again the game, Yeah he has.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the the game that wentz remember the final game, the one that went should have been pulled earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Chargers game. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's he's five for eight. This year.
Speaker 8: Okay, well I'll put him number one, then i'll put Wentz number two, and then i'll put JJ third.
Speaker 2: Yeah, JJ is third.
Speaker 4: Wentz is number one with eighty five point eight, brozmers at a seventy six, and McCarthy's sixty one point seven.
Speaker 2: Yikes, isn't yikes? JJ is the worst.
Speaker 4: In the Yeah, except for Sanders. But Sanders has thrown what sixteen passes?
Speaker 2: He's starting this weekend? He sure is, thankl You're welcome, Bryan.
Speaker 8: So I know that there were a lot of miscues in this last game with McCarthy, but I will go back to say that again.
Speaker 5: If we had what six dropped passes?
Speaker 4: Seven, Yeah, they didn't help him at all, him at all, So that sucked.
Speaker 8: You know, we would look at his performance, even even though he threw two interceptions. We would look at his performance much differently if they only had dropped with maybe one of those, especially the one to.
Speaker 2: Ask sixteen thirty two, that's bad.
Speaker 4: If he's supposed to be more like twenty one to thirty two, that's better.
Speaker 5: That's better.
Speaker 2: We'll take time. I mean, that's better than sixteen. Sure.
Speaker 8: I mean the thing is, like I understand that when they're When it's bad, it's bad. Like when he misses, it's like, what happened there? Like how how do you not hit the broadside of a barn when JJ's on an you know, coming out of his king you throw it three feet short or six feet over.
Speaker 5: His head, Like it's not even close.
Speaker 8: So I'm not saying that there's not some criticism there, but the receiver's got to help him out to yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Fan five.
Speaker 4: When we come back, a couple of things we haven't talked about at all, including Netflix and barbecuing.
Speaker 2: And the wolves win. We haven't mentioned them at all, have we?
Speaker 5: Like once?
Speaker 2: Okay, like once there's.
Speaker 4: The wizards, uh Tom pellos there in like twenty minutes as well.
Speaker 2: This is the power Trom wanting to you on a fin