Speaker 1: From the email department. Good morning, Dave, Jenny Bailey, and Vaughan. This is from Brittany, who is a licensed therapist who's a big I'm a supporter of the show. Thanks for taking the time and making space to acknowledge all that's going on. I've been feeling helpless and fearful, so I shared a resource over the weekend called the Safe Space Exercise. It guides you through mentally creating safe space to access when needed, especially in those times when it feels like nowhere is safe. I wanted to pass it along to you all since you mentioned safe space is being infiltrated, I guess I guarantee you're not alone in that feeling. Did we post this up on Instagram?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's on our Instagram story the link for the safe Space exercises Yes at Dave Ryan Show in our stories.
Speaker 1: I hope this gives everyone a sense of relief, even if it's for a small moment. And remember two things can be true at the same time. While things can be so incredibly scary and unsettling, we also need and benefit from moments of good and hope. Right now, Dave, you demonstrated that beautifully this morning by acknowledging what's going on while also integrating lighthearted topics in your show. And that's kind of what we've done kind of all morning with the Napoleon Dynamite thing.
Speaker 3: Hey, that was serious. I was being someone literally gissed it in. Yeah, I am absolutely loving this. Bailey should have been cast in Napoleon Dynamite. Your mom texting does not count.
Speaker 1: You do look like Uncle Rico? I do you do? It's the mustache.
Speaker 3: I wish I could go back. Only I could go back. We could have taken State.
Speaker 4: All right. I want to bet I can throw this football over the mountains and.
Speaker 1: Then he throws the steak at Napoleon hits him in the face. Got jeez. Okay, I'm going out on a limb and say you all provide moments of good and joy and a safe space to your listeners. People also need pleasant constant right now so much, which you guessed it. You are that outlet for so many. Thank you for all that you do, especially in hard times. They have a great week. Thank you. Brittany licensed marriage and family therapist and also a Greef therapist, so nice. Thank you very much. That and as far as what we're doing, on the show tomorrow. We really don't know. I really don't know.
Speaker 4: We'll figure out when we're there. Yeah, we will, And.
Speaker 1: That's kind of you know, you say that to be funny, but we will. We'll kind of figure out when we're there. Yeah, And a lot of it depends on how you are vibing with the things that are going on.
Speaker 4: So tomorrow is the second half of Napoleon Dynamite.
Speaker 5: And oh that's interesting, And I actually don't think there's room for that.
Speaker 4: And I'm looking at your see the Daily Bailey on the list for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Your idea was to just hold up a sign that says Lafonda. Yeah, And I told her, I said, that's not going to play very well on the radio. She's like, no, it'll be great. Yeah, just hold up the sign that says Lafonda.
Speaker 3: They'll feel it. She's got sandy blonde hair. It's a pretty nice face. I'm just a little tee oled because she hasn't sent me a full bie.
Speaker 5: Feel like, can you read this this five dollar meal deal from Holiday station stores and your best Napoleon sure voice, Please grab.
Speaker 3: Any lunch sandwich, any freed O lazed chips, and any polar pop excluding XXL or medium coffee for just five dollars.
Speaker 4: You're a lunchtime win. Grab a full meal for just five dollars.
Speaker 3: Mix and match your favorite sandwich with your choice of chip and drink for only five dollars. Perfect for buzzy days, quick filling, budget friendly. It's only a holiday.
Speaker 4: Gosh, they're gonna sell out of this after that. Yeah, after that delivery. Thank you, Bailey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we need to go back being real serious. We gotta go back to being real serious. Okay, it is that. There's no pay your bills contest this hour. It just feels kind of weird to do that. That'll probably return tomorrow, but we will do a game called Bandle coming up in a second. It's kind of like identify this song by the different parts of the song. It's kind of fine, we'll do it next. Will the cold continue? Let's go to the weather desk and weather girl Jenny, I'm Katie able to be.
Speaker 5: It is going to continue throughout this week, but over the weekend we are going to see a little bit of higher temperatures like in the twenties. Wow, I mean I feel like anything. If you go from like negative fourteen degrees or whatever, and then all of a sudden, it's five.
Speaker 4: It feels like it's summer.
Speaker 1: It's a different there's a difference is in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 5: So I think twenties is actually going to feel quite warm this weekend.
Speaker 1: There's a real difference between below zero and twenty. It is like, you can actually walk outside in twenty degree weather and you're okay, not for long. Your no tars don't freeze, your no stares don't freeze. It's not so bad. I did the most Minnesota thing ever. We moved to Victoria and the new neighbor was out, so I said, hey, I'm Dave, Hey I'm Mark. Blah blah blah. We stood outside for about five minutes and talked in no jacket, no hat, no gloves in seventeen degrees below weather. Geez, seventeen degrees below and he's bald. He had no hair on his head to keep him warm.
Speaker 4: His noggin was probably chilly.
Speaker 1: And I was. I finally thought, I better let this guy go. Mark, good to meet you. Don't stand out here any longer. He's like, okay, Dave, good to meet you. So seventeen degrees below, you're crazy.
Speaker 5: The only thing I had exposed this weekend when I was outside.
Speaker 1: Was my eyes.
Speaker 5: Like literally every part of my body was covered scarf hat, all of the things covering every inch of me.
Speaker 1: Is it funny how the snow crunches, like when you drive or walk it is so cold, it doesn't squish, it crunches. Yes.
Speaker 4: Oh, and that's and what do they call like the the goop that like.
Speaker 3: Kicks up from your tires, oh, like onto your car like on snowbogogers.
Speaker 4: Thank you, I've never heard that. They call them like snowbird boogers.
Speaker 3: And on Friday I kicked them off of my car and they just like either one didn't fall off at all because they were frozen onto my car, or they fell off and like kind of went clink on the ground because it was such like icy, so it didn't sploosh on the ground. It clinked on the ground DK and I had to kick it away because it was just a chunk of ice.
Speaker 4: Who wh whoa.
Speaker 1: The good news is historically this time of the year, the average low temperature or averagehigh temperature starts to turn around, so the days are getting longer by about a minute or so. A day. But this time of the year, historically, not certainly, but historically the days start getting warmer, because up until a week ago they got colder, cold or colder. Now they historically start getting warmer. So we're turning the corner, you guys.
Speaker 5: The bright side of it is the fact that the sun actually is out when it's this cold.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's not like dark, gloomy gray when it's like twenties.
Speaker 4: That's right, very true. I'm already looking forward to May.
Speaker 2: I saw they put out the days for the kickoff to the Fair, which is like the pre State Fair where there's less things out and but there's less lines.
Speaker 4: Oh I can't wait. I love the kick one there the weekend right.
Speaker 2: Before Memorial Day, so the twenty first through the twenty fourth of May, I believe correct.
Speaker 3: I already had the second I saw them posted, I was like skirt getting out the planner, writing it down.
Speaker 1: It's a big day, all right, let's do bandle. Can you pull up bandle on your phone bay? So basically it's kind of like wordle. It took me fist six tries in wordle today because it was a tricky one, but to bandle is similar in that you get a bunch of guesses, and each time you listen to this song, they will insert another another instrument. Yeah, okay, so let's listen to the clues on bandals.
Speaker 3: So this one right now, it says the clue is. It's released in nineteen ninety nine. It has three hundred and forty two million views on YouTube. Not a whole lot, honestly, but for difficulty. It says it's easy. Okay, okay, So here we go. This is drums and bass.
Speaker 1: That one rapid thirty second note thing sounds familiar.
Speaker 4: I have no idea, no idea.
Speaker 1: Let's say another one.
Speaker 4: So next one?
Speaker 1: I got it?
Speaker 4: Oh not yet? The alrighty, we're going to add piano. And since I'm gonna write it down here, I don't show us. Okay, here we go, got it?
Speaker 3: Come? Oh yeah, okay, that's why they said it was easy. Yeah, all right, I think we all know it, but we should I keep going though, for the folks that maybe he don't know it. Okay, so this is adding brass, ensemble and electric guitar.
Speaker 1: That doesn't really help, honestly, it does.
Speaker 4: No should I just refundies add the last one?
Speaker 1: Do the last one strings.
Speaker 4: I'm going to add the strings before the voice cover. But we know it's we won't have to use the voice cut her. Here we go.
Speaker 1: I never realized there was such instrumentation in this song.
Speaker 4: Yeah, who knew?
Speaker 3: So we're gonna guess because we know what it is. On the count of three, one, two, three.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you who got it on the very first?
Speaker 3: You did get it on the first one?
Speaker 1: I say, we play it.
Speaker 4: For the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: I will always think of Jenny whenever that song comes on, because we did a bit however long ago, where we all had to sing in the showers and see what we sounded like, and Jenny was going crazy.
Speaker 5: I actually did okay on it.
Speaker 3: You did?
Speaker 4: You were really good. Yeah, you were trying to do that.
Speaker 6: All I'm not exactly Christina, But that song is coming up on coming up on thirty years.
Speaker 1: Wow, let's play the whole thing, Yeah, whole thing out?
Speaker 4: Why loading two seconds? Let's make it up.
Speaker 3: And I actually saw Christina Aguilera at the Minnesota State Fair when she played the grand stand forever ago, like ninety nine.
Speaker 1: That sounds about right the radio station and this was not even a release yet. Is so sweet, so shy, and then she became Christina Aguilera. Yeah, we are going to come back with Dave Dirt cover some fun positive stuff here in just a little bit. And it's been a kind of a tricky thing to navigate the show this morning. And you know, if you're just tuning in for the first time, you're going, well, what is going on over there? I don't know. I mean, we woke up this morning going I don't know, And usually I know exactly what to do, but today I was like, I don't know.
Speaker 5: And so going on your phone, you can open the news, you'll know what.
Speaker 4: We're talking about.
Speaker 1: Well, of course, I think everybody knows what's going on, but it's a matter of what, you know, what do we do on the radio show? And I don't know that we've done it exactly right, but I know that we have done it our give it our best shot, and have done it as sincerely as we possibly can while acknowledging the horrible things that have gone on. So and we did a bad Napoleon Dynamite impression, too good Napoleon dynam And we'll come back at a second on KTEWB. Dave's Dirt coming up, steady katwb we had an awful, miserable, weird weekend. I'm looking at some I'm really kind of stayed off of Instagram since about mid morning yesterday. Wow, but it was that hard for you to do?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: I well, literally the first thing I open is Instagram. And then Jenny and I were just talking about it that, like this weekend, we were both you know, with the men that we've been seeing, and we'd be like chatting, chatting, chatting, and then we would just both look at our phones. Yeah, and just like scroll in silence, like staring at your phone.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I'm on it constantly.
Speaker 1: I did find this message this morning. I kind of opened it up a little trepidacious. Is that a word?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Trevia dead trumpetacious, Yeah, that's the word.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Michelle wrote in she said, you've handled the show so well this morning. We all have to go back to work this morning, pretend nothing happened. We appreciate you showing up to entertain us the best you could. And I said, thank you. We're always trying our best to get it right. And she said, you and the show are the absolute best, so appreciate that. Maybe not everybody agrees, Yeah, but we're, you know, doing our best to not say anything.
Speaker 3: It would be a disservice to show up and pretend like nothing happened. Because if that's something you have to do at your work, then you are brave because that would be really hard for at least me.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot of myself that do they have to show up. And if you're an airline pilot, you get to show up and basically put everything out of your mind. If you're a surgeon, you're during a cardioid transplant and don't even tell me whether that's a thing or not, but right, cardioid transplant, Yeah, you really, you know, you got to put And there's a lot of people listening right now who either listened on their way into work or you know, have to put things out of their mind. And if you're a therapist, if you're a therapist and have to put things out of your mind to help other people. So yeah, we're doing our best. Will we get everything right? No, of course not even on the average day. We don't get everything right.
Speaker 6: Though.
Speaker 4: You know what I am excited for, Dave, you brought me lunch today.
Speaker 1: I did, I made it. I did, I made pulled pork in the slow cooker yesterday. But and I did slow cooker Sunday, but I didn't post it because I thought it would be kind of stupid to post slow cooker Sunday in the light of everything that was. Like I said, I wasn't on Instagram really at all yesterday. Once I saw, you know, like how depressing it was, I was kind of like, yeah, I don't need this today. So I watched football, I worked out. I took Bernie for a couple of walks. It was super cold, but he loved it. Once he gets his little booties on, vont he does Okay. It takes about thirty seconds to get his booties on and be okay with it.
Speaker 2: We're probably going to go to Fidos pantry because that's where you got Bernie's booties.
Speaker 4: Right, They're so great there yet Okay, cool? But you bought so you bought Bailey lunch?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I brought in thanks reminding me give me my story back on track.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Bailey eats like anything, like anything. Yeah, And so Bailey, I texted Bailey because I know you had a rough day yesterday. Yeah, and I said, I brought you pulled pork sandwiches.
Speaker 4: Yes, you want to know what I ate yesterday? The whole day.
Speaker 1: I can't even imagine popcorn. Popcorn. I was gonna say red vines.
Speaker 3: Just popcorn, because I went to see a movie yesterday and I got a bucket of popcorn.
Speaker 4: And that is the only thing I ate all day.
Speaker 3: I had a cup of coffee in the morning, I had diet coke at the theater, and popcorn, and that is what I ate.
Speaker 2: Not to air out personal grievances on air, were you supposed to bring all of us lunch like two weeks ago or something you made so.
Speaker 4: She didn't tell you the story? Oh yeah she did. Okay, soup first of all, so you brought soup from costume?
Speaker 2: We did because we did a soup bracket in one wan and you said you bring it in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is soup to Bailey zero.
Speaker 3: Because last time I made soup it was really bad for like lent for a church, really bad soup story that way.
Speaker 4: But this time was my redemption. Here we did a.
Speaker 3: Super and I said, whatever wins the soup bracket, I will bring in that soup for everyone.
Speaker 4: I bought the soup. Okay, I went to Costco.
Speaker 3: I had bought chicken wild rice soup, and on the day that I had bring it in, Dave brought his crock pot.
Speaker 4: I had my soup.
Speaker 3: I left it on the counter at home, so I went home after I had sat out for six hours and I had to throw it away.
Speaker 4: So you messed up soup that you didn't even make. I didn't even here. Despicable and I rested up.
Speaker 3: I put it back in the fridge for a second so I could like Google, can I still eat the soup? And everything on Google said no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, probably a good call on.
Speaker 4: That food poisoning. No, I'm good you personally.
Speaker 1: You went an somewhere. Where'd you go to eat this weekend?
Speaker 3: Yesterday or Saturday? I went to Animales in Yeah, it's like kind of northwest Minneapolis. It is barbecue. It's brand new, like they've just opened maybe in the last.
Speaker 4: Couple of weeks. Used to be a food truck, right, they used to be a food.
Speaker 3: Truck and now it's brick and mortar right next to Ladonia so Visa, which is like a Mexican brewery, which is a really good too, I know. But Animals was so cool and when we showed up. We were planning on going to Ladonia, and we didn't realize that Animales is in the same building, like right next door, so we thought, well, might as well kill two birds with one stone here, let's go to both. And Animals was so cool, really neat, like vibe kind of place.
Speaker 4: The lighting is cool.
Speaker 3: They've got cool music playing that's kind of like a retro westerny kind of Vegas type music. But then they have live music. I don't know if it's every day or most days of the week. It just didn't happen on the day that we were there, but they had this cute little like stage and like a curtain on the stage with all this lighting that was beautiful.
Speaker 4: It was great. I loved it.
Speaker 3: So I would definitely recommend going to Animal And we got rips and they were delicious.
Speaker 1: We went out to dinner and I don't want to say the place where, but we've been once before years ago, and the food was very mid. I have this stuffed chicken breast and Susan had this shrimp scampy and it was like, how was yours about a three on a scale of one to ten? How is yours about a four on a scale of one to ten. Did you say that to the Oh god, no, oh god, it's probably you know, And it's not that we're going to write the whole place off. It just probably wasn't the best thing on the menu. But it was like, you know, and I'm never going to mention this place on the radio.
Speaker 4: But you went years ago.
Speaker 1: I don't remember. I don't remember. It's busy, it was crowded. Yeah, but we'll give them another chance because sometimes it's like, eh, maybe the stuff chicken breast was just not their specialty. Who knows. Give them the benefit of the doubt. We're gonna do the dirt coming up next. We got some stuff to cover, including the skyscraper show that everybody watched on Saturday night. Yeah, by Dave, it's Dave's dirt on.
Speaker 3: Kd w B.
Speaker 1: I could talk about that climb thing, the skyscraper thing for quite a while, and I have earlier, but I'm only going to say it was so good if you watched it. It was just so interesting to see this guy who's a little bit different than all of us, bravely and without hesitation climb up the side of this incredibly tall building with no ropes. No suction cups. I would have at least taken a.
Speaker 6: Session cup like Batman. Yeah, kind of like that, like out of West Batman. No hooks, no ladders, no nothing. He did use a ladder. There was one point near the very top where there was no surfaces to grab on to. Yeah, so he had to use like a very wobbly rope ladder to climb up.
Speaker 5: And also he was very physically tired at that point. He had been climbing for like an hour.
Speaker 4: And a half.
Speaker 5: Yeh, yeh, So you got to imagine that that actually was pretty hard, but it was really good. You can go back and watch it on Netflix still if you want to, just called Skyscraper. Yesterday in Italy, heated rivalry co stars Hudson Williams and Connor Story carried the Olympic torch, just part of a relay that concludes that the opening ceremony on February six. So if you're into the Olympics, there you go. It starts February six. It was and it was cute. I saw the pictures of them carrying it and that was very sweet. The bits are coming back.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it's you. You're my idol. You're sweet.
Speaker 1: Come on, I grew.
Speaker 4: Up watching you. My parents grew up watching you their parents.
Speaker 3: So u Sabritty Carpenter is the guest on that seth Rogan will be on it. My Rudolph will be on it at premieres February fourth on Disney Plus.
Speaker 4: So I'm super excited for that.
Speaker 6: Yay.
Speaker 4: I love the Muppet.
Speaker 1: I know you do. Last week we he was your favorite Muppet.
Speaker 3: My favorite Muppet is Kermit, but I also like Miss Piggy and Rizzo and all of them.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, great answer, thank you.
Speaker 2: Last week we talked about a lot of the Oscar nominations and uh, Wicked for Good didn't receive one, while an anonymous Oscar voter came out and said, the reason that Wicked for Good didn't get any nominations is because Arita Grande and Cynthia Rivo creeped them out. We've been talking about how they just be all over each other and just act very unworldly, and I don't know if you can really not.
Speaker 4: Give somebody a nomination just because of that, but they did.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 2: Did you guys think that Wicked for was worth an Oscar nomina?
Speaker 5: I didn't like it.
Speaker 4: No, it's not that I didn't like it. I obviously like I love No, I didn't hate that. I did not like I hated it.
Speaker 3: No, I just thought it the pacing was so weird, and that's just my opinion. I could talk about it forever, but I won't. The pacing was weird. It did not deserve any Oscar nomination.
Speaker 1: I'm really glad that you. I'm not glad that you feel that way, but you definitely tend to love shows like that in musicals. Yeah, and would you give them the benefit of the doubts? So for you to say it was not very good, it must have not. How did they fumble it so badly on the second try?
Speaker 3: I don't think they needed to make two movies, And that was probably what it was, because even the first one, like all of the songs were slightly elongated, and like, I love Wicked, but I I really liked the first movie, and obviously I love the musical, but everything was kind of drawn out, dragged out in the first one, and so then when they were like, Okay, we're making two movies.
Speaker 4: That are both like two and a half three hours, Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's just everything could have just been tight, tight, tight, tight tight.
Speaker 4: It just made keep it tight.
Speaker 1: What's that from tight tight tight tight tight more.
Speaker 3: Napoleon, No, it's breaking bad, breaking bad, because you do that all the time.
Speaker 1: All right, That is it. Thank you for listening, Thanks you, thank you for in trusting us with a little bit of your morning, and hopefully you feel that we've done our best to recognize the enormity of things that have gone on and also at the same time, you know, bring a little levity, a little fun, some smiles to a morning when you probably need it. And if you've turned us for some smiles and we didn't give you the smiles you wanted, you can request your money back.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: See that's a joke. Jenny smiled a little bit, smiled a little bit.
Speaker 3: I did put some money into the show. It's like a stock option, you know, w B stock option, the Dave Ryan Show.
Speaker 4: Stock ops.
Speaker 3: No, No, Well, where who did I give my money to?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: He was in the alleyway and he was wearing a trench coat.
Speaker 1: It sounds fine. Have a great day and we'll see you tomorrow here on KDWB.