Speaker 1: It's the Mojo in the morning show. So Anna, I drove you into therapy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mojo, it's all your fault.
Speaker 3: I since starting this job, Mojo has been more than just a boss or somebody that I work with. I actually confide in Mojo and all of you in a lot of personal things. And what I've realized through these conversations is that my entire life, how I deal with things that bother me is I just avoid them. If somebody bothers me, if a situation bothers me, I just avoid it. I don't want to talk about it. I don't want to see those people that are hurting me. I just sort of write them off. But Mojo has been pushing me to not do that and to sort of like confront these things, get over these things, because life is short, whether that's a person or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: So I decided to start therapy.
Speaker 3: I had sort of like a rough Thanksgiving and I left feeling a little bit sad. So I made an appointment with my therapist, well new therapist. I had one appointment so far. I was supposed to have one yesterday, but I canceled it because I was too tired. And interestingly enough my therapist had a little bit of a different take than Mojo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's you know what.
Speaker 1: And I think that's the reason why you go talk to somebody who is because it gives you an opportunity to, uh get a different perspective. And I will say this to you. You don't always use a perspective of what the therapist gives you, but you use the perspectives of those around you.
Speaker 3: So I don't want to get too into, like the details of what my issues are, but essentially, there's some people in my life that I struggle to be around, and Mojo is pushing me to be around them more. However, when I talk to my therapist, this is what they This is how they phrased it to me, as like, yes, it would be great to have them in your life, but let's say this was like, it's not an abusive situation, but let's say this was an abusive situation where these people were physically abusing you every time you saw them and you left hurt. Would you keep going back to them every time? And I'm sorry, I'm getting emotional, like, no, I wouldn't keep putting myself back in those situations, even if it's not physical abuse, like mentally, it's really hurting me. So she's saying, like, maybe you do just need to totally remove yourself from those situations until you're better.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Particularly so, yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm in therapy now and that's sort of what I'm dealing with. But it was interesting because again, like with Mota, he's like, these people that are hurting you, they're not going to be around forever.
Speaker 1: Like no, no, no, let me explain myself because I wanted you to know my thing was my thing was exactly what you're doing. And I said you should go and talk to a therapist about it, because when they aren't around, you don't want it to back and be one of those things where you wish that.
Speaker 4: You would have.
Speaker 1: I don't believe that you need to have people in your life that are emotionally or more importantly physically, but emotional is just as physical.
Speaker 4: It's hurtful as it's abused that be around.
Speaker 1: But I do think that you need to talk to somebody about where where they are in your life and where you are.
Speaker 5: I think that's the biggest part, regardless of the healing that may or may not take place between you and whoever these people are. It's the individual healing that needs to take place inside of you. For you, we're not trying to mend any relationship but the one you have with the inner Anna and not pushing things like jay Z. One of my favorite jay Z albums four four four, the first song is called kill jay Z because he had to kill this persona of who he was. And one of the things that he said was you can't heal what you are willing to reveal. And sometimes like the clean room, if you're going everything you know, I'm saying, if I'm throwing all my trash in the closet, the room's not really clean.
Speaker 4: I'm just hiding and what.
Speaker 6: Progress I can see for one session because I feel like you and we don't know you that well yet, but you do tend to keep things close to yourself. So even like you talking about this and getting emotional and that's like it's getting it out and putting it on the table and then figuring out what to do with it is how I always think about it in my brain with therapy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think I'm like really just trying to get a place like I don't even think that I've expressed how I've I've been feeling to these people that are hurting me. So right now my therapist is like, we just need to get you comfortable so you can tell them like, this is how you're making me feel, this is how you're hurting me, and I'll have to step back if it continues. But like, I'm not even comfortable doing that.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you that that makes me feel really good? Because I didn't do that.
Speaker 4: And my.
Speaker 1: Level of giving you any advice that I've given you and I have not said you need to do this. My thing was you may want to do this, and I don't think by the way that you are going to do your NET therapy is not going to help you get over anything. I just want you to know that it's going to help you cope with things. I will say this to you. My thing was with my dad. I had a lot of things in my life that I used to let my dad get away with that I never said to him while he was on this earth, And what ended up affecting me was when he died, it put more of a burden than the things that he had done to me or I thought he had done to me on me when he died because I got angry towards him when he died. Instead of feeling sad for the fact that I lost my father, I was angry about it. And so I think what happened with my therapy that I went through was I was going to therapy because I didn't want anything that my dad did to me to be passed on to my boys, and so I was trying to stop the generational hurt that was going on.
Speaker 4: What I found was I was putting.
Speaker 1: An unrealistic burden on things that happened in my life on one person, my dad, And it was not necessarily my dad's fault. That things happened in my life was life's fault. And what I was doing was looking at the way that he, as a person was dealing with his pain too. And I think what I hope for you with your therapist. First off, you got to make sure you tell your therapist the truth. Because I went through about six months of BS and my therapist and making things very much making me look better and making them look worse. And my therapist, Dennis, by the way, shout out to you. Dennis started realizing I wasn't telling him the truth, and he said, all right, we're going to have a talk here right now. I don't necessarily think that you're giving me one hundred percent of what's going on. And can I tell you something. It changed me because you know what it did. It healed my relationship with my dad.
Speaker 2: But it was after your dad.
Speaker 4: Way after my dad died.
Speaker 1: So I and I wish I met Dennis and went to therapy and somebody had told me about I was going to therapy already, but I wasn't talking about my dad. But I wish I would have been able to talk to my dad about Hey, Dad, tell me what you're going through, you know, tell me about your pain, because you don't realize that they're going through it too.
Speaker 5: Everybody got a story. I say two things. I think one thing I forgot the second thing, but I think sometimes I had. But I think, like I don't want to use the word accountability, but sometimes people don't know how they're affecting us, and if we just let things go, then they won't ever realize that they are actually hurting us. And I would say that obviously there will be stages, and there's a process, like Shannon mention, even you getting here is a step in that, right direction. But I think before you totally cut ties, like you have to find it in yourself to let them.
Speaker 4: Know how it is effect and let them know why you're settings.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm working on, Kelly.
Speaker 4: What's going on is mojo in the morning.
Speaker 7: I know, I just wanted the first compliment and applaud Anna for going to therapy, because I don't think people understand it's very difficult to confront things that are hard to talk about, especially when it comes to family, and therapy forces you to kind of have to be very, very vulnerable about things that you've maybe been keeping close to your heart like you have, Anna. And then number two was just talking about confronting people.
Speaker 8: Or confronting situations instead of hiding them. But what your therapist said.
Speaker 7: Was so profound because your peace is yours to protect and a lot of people don't realize.
Speaker 8: That, Like, it's your life and it's your peace. So if that means, hey.
Speaker 7: Like this person is affecting me and my life.
Speaker 8: And sometimes confronting them is not the answer because.
Speaker 7: It almost makes it worse because they don't they don't have that accountability, like what Kevin just said, So your peace is, hey, like this person is really difficult to be around or make me really upset when I'm around them, and that's affecting my peace.
Speaker 8: The best choice for me is to just remove myself or not be present around this person, or I just kind of pick.
Speaker 4: And choose where I want.
Speaker 8: Them in my life because it's you. It's your life to protect, and it's your peace to protect.
Speaker 7: So I just applaud you for taking those steps to be able to go talk to somebody about all the things. Life brings a lot of.
Speaker 8: Things, So applause to you.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 1: I love that we talk on the show about therapy a lot because I think that there are some listeners that are told that when you go to therapy you're nuts, you know what I mean, or or your.
Speaker 6: Week's not That's an old stigma that I'm so happy is has gone by by, and I.
Speaker 1: Think there's other people that are like I can't afford therapy. I think that there's ways that you can actually get to therapy. I know that there's a lot of things you cannot afford, but I think that there are ways that you can get it, and it's just a matter of you taking me the extra steps and effort to go find the ability to be able to to get somebody that can can give you therapy.
Speaker 5: And if you have a job, sometimes go to your HR because it's like a part of your if it's right, like for for the freezy content.
Speaker 4: What's going on? Frank, Hey, good morning guys.
Speaker 9: Anna.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry you're going through this, and I'm so happy you're seeing a therapist and Mojo.
Speaker 4: I just want to tell you something.
Speaker 3: About your dad.
Speaker 4: It's pretty cool. But people know to forget that it was it's their first time as well whatever they were going through. So and I learned that through therapy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, every child thinks that parents, parents know everything, but it's their first time as well dealing with you.
Speaker 1: Listen, I never I never took into accounts the pain that my dad had gone through, you know. But I also I'm not going to let that be the reason why, you know, I'm going to be okay with him doing it. Same with your parents, your parents or family or whoever it is that you're talking about. They you have to understand everybody comes from a sense of being hurt, but you should not have They should not pass that hurt onto you. They need to go see seek help to to help them that Aaron, what's going on?
Speaker 9: Hey Monjoe, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm okay, and we're happy for Anna asking how she's doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good job.
Speaker 7: Anna.
Speaker 9: I'm so happy for stuffing into therapy. And I think it's a great place where you can have a safe space to own your story. And I just identify with the other color saying protect your peace and emotional abuse is sometimes way more damming than physical abuse. So just really take this time to own your story and learn how to set some good boundaries with family. You can do it.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the encouragement.
Speaker 4: Hey, Samantha, what's up. It's Mojo in the morning.
Speaker 8: Hello.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 10: I'm very proud of Anna for going to therapy. I don't have insurance, so I was not able to go to therapy. But I understand where she's coming from. I grew up with a mother who never gave compliments. It was always oh, you should have done it this way, or if you would have done this, it would have been better. I was never told that she was proud of me. I was never told that I did a good job. And my dad wasn't around because he was either cheating on my mom or busy drinking it was hard. I was very angry for a long time, but I worked through my issues because I realized that my parents, I don't feel like we're necessarily doing it on purpose to hurt me. I feel like they were raised a certain way by their parents, and then they chose to raise me that same way, not realizing, like you said, how they had been treated and what was done to them emotionally, and then they were reflecting it back on me. So I had to make the decision to cut both of my parents off so that way I didn't allow them to mess with my children the way that they messed.
Speaker 4: With my brain.
Speaker 1: Hey, Samantha, I know you say you don't have the job to get therapy. Google that circum circumstance and there will be resources for you that will come up of how you can get therapy.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: I learned this from my son, who is a therapist, who is a doctor of psychology now, and I'm very proud of him. But because I said to him, I go, not every I actually use that as one thing, Well, not everybody can you know, can afford therapy? And he's like, there are there are no resources. The problem is and this is the thing is a lot of times we don't google or go the extra step, even though it would really help us out, because sometimes we don't want to know like and we want to use that as the excuse. I want to talk more about Anna here. Let me tell you something about this, this unbelievable woman that's in front of us right now. You took this job, and you took it thinking to yourself. And I know this firsthand. You took it thinking to yourself, Oh, that it's gonna be a great way to propel my career. I think this this job, in meeting the people that you're around, including these listeners that are calling, I think this job is going to propel you as a person.
Speaker 2: I think so too, boy and I and.
Speaker 4: I honestly, can I tell you this.
Speaker 1: I thought that when I first saw you and knew about you, I knew that there were a lot of people that could have come in here and been part of this show that probably were at even a level a little higher than you. I thought that this job was going to be a huge benefit to our show. I thought it was gonna be a huge benefit to you. And I think a lot of times we don't look at it that way. When we're going for jobs or looking for people. And I think that's huge. And I realized this the other night at jingle Ball. I was the happiest I've ever been at a jingle ball the other night. It was the happiest. My outfit fit me. But also I liked being around the people that I was around. Every person that was with there was having the time of their lives. We were sitting in we were in that one room, the interview room with EJ up there on there, and we were amongst a group of a bunch of people, and every single person that was in that room had a smile or some kind of a thing on them. You know that that made him feel And it was because the group that were around and you, you are a huge reason for that. So I appreciate you and I love you. And do not cancel your next therapy.
Speaker 4: Plinner Friday Friday, Friday, Friday Friday. Don't miss it.