Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. All Right, this is his first time on the show this season. He's starting again at second base. He's been in there virtually every night for the Dodgers. That's the one and only Alex Freeland and I appreciate you clearing the throat getting ready for this interview.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me on, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how's it been to get this opportunity? Everybody needs an opportunity. I just needed an opportunity with you. The Dodgers have given you an opportunity to play.
Speaker 2: I'm grateful for it. I mean.
Speaker 3: I really wasn't expecting it but to break with the team. But They've given me an opportunity, and I'm trying to make the most of it, so all I can be as grateful for.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you belonged more than you did when you first got called up?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Definitely.
Speaker 3: I mean just having that little taste of it from last year like gave me or put my mind at ease, like it's nothing that I haven't done.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm definitely more comfortable.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about last night's game as a baseball fan, that was a really entertaining game to watch, especially when Max Munsey's hitting three home runs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that was a really good game. Shout out months he was on one last night.
Speaker 1: Can you feel that type of game? It felt like the Rangers are not being intimidated by you, They're not conceding anything. That makes the game a little bit more fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't think any team's over there just conceding to us. I mean everybody's trying to beat us and play hard. So those are the games that I enjoy the most. When it's higher energy, good baseball, Like I really enjoy that. So last night's game was fun to play and fun to watch.
Speaker 1: When Rojas is in there at shortstop with you, what are some of the nuances and communication he shares with you, just.
Speaker 3: Like positioning, and we just communicate throughout the game, like what we want to do if balls hitting this in this scenario. So it's just communicating about the game.
Speaker 1: Does he have a better scouting report on some players or little tips on how to get a read off one hitter?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say I would say that, so just because Maggie's played with a lot of these guys and against them, so He's always got something on whether it's small or big, He's always got something.
Speaker 1: So does he make you see the game differently? Does it open your eyes when you're playing second base, even when Kim like tonight, is starting at shortstop.
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, I mean I always really enjoy playing up the middle with both of the guys. But Miggy Rose just like that veteran player, so like he's seen almost everything. So it's like, I really enjoy playing up the middle with Meggie.
Speaker 1: Alex Freeland is our guest. I'm not going to pretend that I'm some baseball expert, but I have noticed when you're hitting from the left side, your hands are elevated and they're a little bit farther away from your body than I saw last year. Is that an accurate observation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty accurate.
Speaker 3: It's just to free up my hands, give me space to rotate.
Speaker 1: Does it help you eliminate even just like maybe a second to try to get your bat into the strike zoner to keep it in the strike zone longer?
Speaker 3: I would say so, yeah, But just like the main purpose of it to have my hands away from my body is to create space.
Speaker 1: How did you find that Robert. Oh, wow, he actually does something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does.
Speaker 3: But it was when we were playing in the Freeway Series. It's like the like, yeah, I didn't. I didn't make that adjustment until the Freeway Series and I had like one game so like a few at bats with it, and I was like, all right, like Bush's run with it, and here we are.
Speaker 1: I'm not joking. When you guys came back to Dodger Stadium during the Freeway Series and watching you take batting practice, that's the first time that it really stood out to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, Like I said, we made that adjustment like the second second game of the Freeway Series. So it feels good and I'm gonna run with it.
Speaker 1: I know you take and being a switch hitter, but you're being run out there mostly against righties. Have you found some sort of rhythm doing that from one side of the plate?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, most of my focus is on the on the left side right now, but I mean there are times, like when we were in Toronto, I did get a few at bats right handed, so not trying to just push the right handed something to the side and still get my work in even though like the majority of the time I'm not gonna hit right handed versus the lefties, which which I'm fine with. Like that is, that is okay. Whatever they need me to do, I'll do.
Speaker 1: Having fun very baseball stadiums. Sorry, you're it feels like coming to the ballpark for you is your refuge. You can get away from everything and and have a good time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. This is where. This is where I would call home. This is where my mind's at. He's love it.
Speaker 1: Hope you find a place to stay in La soon.
Speaker 2: Shoot, I do too.
Speaker 3: If you know anybody that's renting out their home, let me know.
Speaker 1: Okay, hey sometimes they might Thanks a lot for the time. Great to see a smile. And I love how you keep the swamp mullet away from the stadium this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah you like that. Yeah, maybe I'll grow it out just for you.