Speaker 1: We hear about tariffs, we hear about trade wars, we hear about trade deals, and the latest big one was the deal with China. And apparently a deal has been made as far as again, and I follow this stuff as far as I can discern, there is a deal with China.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but this is certainly the biggest one when you think about how much stuff we get from China and how much they get from us, how much they get from us. That's right.
Speaker 1: Let's talk to our financial guy about it. He is one of our most popular guests. He is Bill Dundy, his CPA money manager, and he speaks to us on these on these matters all the time. Bill, welcome back.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's great to be with you. And it's kind of funny.
Speaker 4: A few years ago, nobody but the biggest nerds we're talking about tariffs and duties and trade wars. But now we're all like daily conversations like the I don't know, it's like football, who's on top, who's got the best opportunities in the future. And it's kind of interesting that China is one of those that has been most difficult to deal with, partly because we deal with them so much already. It's kind of like a family relationship. Those are sometimes the most challenging when you have a lot of interaction with each other. It makes it a little bit more difficult to say I wanted you to change your behaviors in this way or that way. And China has pushed hard back on the US, and the US said, okay, okay, we're going to reconsider no one hundred percent tariffs, but we'll continue where we are today. And that looks like a win for everybody. And I don't know, I say, it's a lot like families that are squabbling, because you and your brother can get upset with each other, and y'all might get into a pushing match, but you don't want to You don't want to pull out the guns or anything. I mean, I just want to work it out somehow. And that's kind of what's been happening with Trump and she As we've been going through the last few months together.
Speaker 1: Bill Dendy's our guest, and Bill well As you just heard us talking. What is this, What does this entail with China?
Speaker 2: This is this so called deal? What's going on here?
Speaker 4: Well, China did not like us any extra tariffs and of course they wouldn't, and we had a lot of reasons early on for the tariffs. The last round has been fentanyl. Precursor elements come out of China. So for all the phentohn has been produced, China is like the very earliest source, and that they were a little bit more controlling on who they send that out to, we might be able to curb the fentanyl problem. And so that that's been the latest. But prior to that, it was intellectual property that they didn't enforce some of the intellectual property of laws as vigorously as we wanted, and then the labor conditions not to world standards and things of that nature that have come up in the past. It's interesting that we depend on China for a lot of things. Uh, they they need us to buy their goods, We need them to buy our bonds for our loans for our government debt. And now we just found out we need them real bad for these rare earth minerals that are used in things like lasers and industrial magnets and all sorts of things. And if they turn off that supply, well, well that really is kind of the trump card, so to speak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, and those earth minerals or what some are used in a lot of technology stuff like what TVs and iPhones and.
Speaker 4: What you got it Almost everything we depend on every day, from our iPhones to our televisions, to our laser guided systems, to our defense instruments that are used by a military, to our industrial magnets that pick up the big car magnets that pick up that. Those are rare earth minerals that are using those magnets as well, So they have both the heavy and the light rare earth minerals that again only the nerdy geologists used.
Speaker 3: To talk about.
Speaker 4: But if you cut off the supply of ninety percent coming out, well, that makes everyone slow down. And we had manufacturing have to slow down when China tightened up the reins a few months ago.
Speaker 3: And so when they say we're going to go if you terrify us one.
Speaker 4: Hundred percent, we're just nowhere for you, nowhere for you, and that's gonna be really bad.
Speaker 5: Well, no good, it's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be bad for them too. So it's one of those deals that they don't really want to do it, but they do have this powerful position.
Speaker 4: So I think it's one of those things where you tell your brother Hey, if you don't back off, I'm going to hit you right between the eyes.
Speaker 3: And you're like, ah, he is bigger than they. He could hurt me, but he doesn't want to hurt me. We're gonna work this out.
Speaker 4: But he could and you don't want to then have to hurt him back. And so that's where I think both parties finally got to and they're like, Okay, we don't have to do the hundred and turiffs. If you're quit trying to sneak your stuff in around the back door, we can leave it alone. It will be about forty percent like a lot of other places, and I think that's where it's going to probably end up for the next few months, allowing the room for both sides to have a little victory.
Speaker 2: Well, Bill, along those lines, are you're talking about, you know, the iPhones and TVs, things that you know we we use or uh, you know every day everyday Americans use and you know, so much of our clothes things we buy on Amazon. I mean I bought a few shirts on Amazon last week and you know, both made in China. Given that on you know that that everyday types of things that you know, not necessarily we're buying the stuff every day, but things that we use every day, what are we looking at in terms of how much the cost of those things are going to go up? Generally?
Speaker 4: Well through this embedded there, Well, they're embedded in so many of our items, but it's a small piece of the overall components of it that we probably won't see our electrons going up forty percent, but we probably will see according to economists who are doing the work, ten to fifteen percent increases across the board. And it's not comfortable, but I think we've had about with inflation, and if we see another five to ten percent on the things we love, we won't like it, but we can survive that. We couldn't survive not having them, or have them double or triple the costs. And I think that's kind of where we're going to end up on this. And what's interesting is just a threat of no suit for you, no rare minerals for you. Well, the US and Austraia said, hey, we have to be able to make our own.
Speaker 3: We can.
Speaker 4: We don't have to be dependent on forever, we just have to be dependent on for right now.
Speaker 3: And it takes a while to get this stuff set up, so it's.
Speaker 4: Actually causing more investment and things that might as should have been started a few years ago anyway, So there may be some positives in this area and more investment going into an area that was costalgian and it didn't make sense if you could get them out of China for such a low cost. But if it won't becoming out of China for whatever the reason, then it might make sense for new injury.
Speaker 3: The barriers to entry, well, they're.
Speaker 4: Still there, but if the costs go up so much, those barriers become less daunting. So we're starting to see even talk just in one week about new investments in these areas so that we don't have our dependency and kind of like we've lost our dependency on foreign oil where they say that the US now produces more oil than Russia, more oil than Saudi Arabia. The US has gone from not producing as much as we need to producing more than the.
Speaker 3: Rest of the world. That gives us lower.
Speaker 4: Pricing, but more importantly, more can troll pricing less volatility going forward.
Speaker 3: And so what we might see is we start strategically.
Speaker 4: Thinking about eliminating that leverage from the from our trading partners going forward. Yet a lot of economis said that's really not efficient. You should let the lowest cost producer produce it and let the US do what they do well, which is ingenuity and creation, and that everyone should give up these trade barriers like tariffs, but have free trade. And so there are a number of economists who are not happy with the way things are going, but others who will then say, we never really had free trade. The US was not tariffing other countries, but they were protecting their industries and they had bearers to entry that we had to compete against. And by offering terroiffs the other direction, it makes it a more level playing field and creates income for our government. But it's really the assumer that pays that extra income for the government. So it's kind of like a I don't know, a new kind of tax.
Speaker 2: Yep, big time.
Speaker 1: Bill Dendi's our guest, and Bill, let me ask you that With that, With that in mind, here the last two months of the year, ed, put your financial advisor hat on here for a second. How do you see the markets reacting to all this rigor role this has been going on with the tariffs and the taxes and this and that and the other.
Speaker 4: You know, it's kind of interesting. The market tends to be a leading economic indicator. They like to get ahead, like when things are sad, they're already going up, and when things are and when things are good, they already start the way down. But there are a lot of things in this week that could happen. They would be positive for the market, and the market is at his all time highst because.
Speaker 3: They're already anticipating good things happening.
Speaker 4: And those good things include the FED meeting and they say they're going to lower interest rates.
Speaker 3: The expectation is they're going to lower interest rates a quarter point.
Speaker 4: If they come out and they lower rates by a half a point, that would be so positive that the market would probably have a little extra bonus reaction. We have a number of high tech companies releasing earnings tomorrow and the next day, and these earnings reports that they come out good, that would be positive for the overall market and can boost it up.
Speaker 3: And it's China deal. If it comes out of that, yes, we have reached an agreement.
Speaker 4: And even though some things are going to cost more, we know what that more is going to be, and all this uncertainty will be eliminated for a while.
Speaker 3: That would be very positive.
Speaker 4: And so you have a few things that could certainly make the market happier and we could see an increase.
Speaker 3: But keep in mind the market has already baked in a lot of.
Speaker 4: These things, so if any of those things does not go the way the market wanted, it could be a negative.
Speaker 3: So what did I say. I said it could go up or it could go down if it changes it all And I know that's not much help.
Speaker 2: That's kind of the market.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there are good reasons for seeing the market near all time highs, and there are good reasons it's climbed this wall of worry. The news is always sounded bad, but the market continued to move up. We've had one of the best bull markets ever and at the same time, we've got a lot of news stories that are concerning. But as one thing gets resolved after another, is if Hamas and Israel really you know, at least of the hostage positive market loves that. If we start having peace breaking out all over the world, and we start having earnings reports coming strong and we have lower interest rates, that mean that consumers can consume more and companies can expand more. All those things are positive, but keep in mind there is a little shadow out there as the unemployment numbers seem to indicate that we're having and one of the reasons the Fed may lower interest rates a little more than a quarter point is that the employment numbers are starting to crap back up, and the Fed wants to keep Americans fully employed as possible. But that's kind of a negative out there. If people aren't working and they don't have the money to coup, to consume, and to care for themselves, that can be a negative and a long term re sessions trap. So those are the things that.
Speaker 3: Are in play.
Speaker 4: Which way they're going to work out, Probably positive on the short term, could be very positive we get any surprises on any of those three items, but a lot of good it's already be baked into the market.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Without Bill Dandy, We will let you go, buddy. It is always our pleasure.
Speaker 3: God bless you. Always good talking to you.
Speaker 1: Thanks care Bill Dundy. He's financial strategists. You can find more about him at Raymond James dot com and I'd love our expert analysis there with It could go up or it could go down. Huh, that's how that works. Huh with that way, Check in with traffic and weather.
Speaker 2: What is going on well from.
Speaker 6: The UC Health Traffic Center. With a stroke every second counts and so does your team home to rapid life saving treatment and clinical trials. You see health as a clear choice for stroke care.
Speaker 2: Learn more.
Speaker 6: You seehealth dot com. The Union Center still shut down in both directions Wahauser to seventy five as we have a cleanup of a tanker fire from earlier today and we have seventy five southbound the on ramp and off ramp Union Center blocked now. Seventy five northbound the off ramp to westbound Union Center detrit remain black. You can go east with the cleanup Underway two seventy five west bound Virginias forty two a mustellar crash as two lanes taken up now in about a seven minute delay, and we're saying heavier pocket seventy five southbound Wile Reagan Highway to Norwood lad roll through the long term roadwork and to seventy five with the Carol Cropper bridge. Watch for slowdowns here with the ongoing bridge work. I'm Rich reproducer Radio seven hundred w d WELW.
Speaker 1: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW weather center for to night clouds the lower forty five. Then tomorrow looks like the rain sets in late in the day, the high of fifty rain on through Thursday it is sixty down. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: Rising downtown violence and political pressure have catalyzed the chaos regarding the Cincinnati Police chief. While the interim chief steadies the ship, will community leaders turn to a tried and true veteran to become police chief permanently? Or will a fresh face rise from within the ranks to restore calm and credibility As speculation is swirling, keep it here for the latest on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: This report is sponsored by Miami Valley Gaming. Good to Miami Valley Gaming No.
Speaker 2: December twenty seven for a chance to win a Ford F one.
Speaker 1: Be and Jason Williams in for Rock Today and Jay's coming up here. It's tuesday're'll be talking our good friend Tanyo word from WCPO nine News. And I don't want to get her too deep in the weeds on the Bengals, because you know how she gets.
Speaker 2: She gets all emotional and.
Speaker 1: I want to get her take though, I want to get her take where she's at emotionally, because she can get kind of lost. Like I said in the Weeds on this stuff on the Bengals. Yeah, but we're going to talkire up about it. We're going to be talking about Halloween.
Speaker 2: She gets into Halloween. I remember we've had her on like Halloween and Christmas. Big yeah, just some good story.
Speaker 1: Well and Thanksgiving she starts. I remember last year she started making food. I'm not kidding you if you remember this. She started making food for that Thursday on Saturday and made stuff all week and long. Now look at my house, and I think she has you know, family over. We have us, Me and Deb and the boys. So there's only four of us. So I make a turkey. We have the potatoes and the beans and blah blah blah, get a pumpkinbine and all that stuff. But there's not four days of prep involved in it other than in the turkey ot pretty much. But at Tandy's house, it's a it's a week long, oh long ordeal. It's Giving gra and she just goes for it. Now, I don't remember talking much about Thanksgiving, but she seemed I want to talk to her about her her dynamic with her husband, because it seems like she would be way into it. But I can't see her, her husband, who I know very well, being all that wound up about it.
Speaker 2: But ah, no, I could see him, but we were super excited. The energy, oh the energy level three. Yes, I want to know what he is. He dressed up for Halloween. I know that's where we're going to talk about, but that's after the news. Right now, News Radio seven hundred w LW.
Speaker 7: News Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred w l Q, Cincinnati.
Speaker 9: Pounding in the Caribbean with the three point thirty report. I'm Jack Crumley breaking now Hurricane Melissa slamming Jamaica. It is the strongest storm on Earth so far this year, and one of the most powerful hurricane landfalls ever in the Atlantic basin.
Speaker 10: There will be significant damage, even catastrophic damage. But our preparations and our plans for the immediate recovery have been well.
Speaker 9: Put together, Jamaican Prime Minister Andrew Wholeness says other countries have already pledged their support. Life threatening flooding, devastating winds, and storm surge are all ongoing as Melissa crosses the western part of the island nation. It is currently packing maximum sustained winds of one hundred and sixty miles an hour, making Melissa a high powered Category five hurricane. The storm will weaken as it passes over Jamaica and we'll move back into the Caribbean Sea over the next few hours. Now the latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 6: The see Health Traffic center. With a stroke every second counts and so does your team home to rapid life saving treatment and clinical trials. You see Health as a clear choice for stroke care. Learn more U seehealth dot com. And traffic on seventy five Union Center is still affected here because of the earlier accident evolving in vehicle fire involving a tanker truck. So Union Center and is shut down between Mohouser and seventy five and then seventy five southboundy on and off ramps to Union Center shut down northbound seventy five off ramp to westbound Union Center as a block you can go east. We do have two seventy five sowing westbound from right around eleven and road to Mosteller. It's about a seven minute delay. And on two seventy five the Combs hail bridge works is continuing here through November. All three lanes affected for this bridge project by Rick Shrimp, News Radio seven hundred double d WELLW and we.
Speaker 9: Are adding to the frustration across the top there that is an accident reported affecting both directions of two seventy five just east of Mostella Road. The westbound part is backed up pretty solid, but you are slow on the eastbound side as well. Southbound seventy five still also slow through the construction zone right around Ronald Reagan westbound nor Wood lateral backing up a little more than usual here at three point thirty, especially for trying to go north on seventy five.
Speaker 7: Now, the ladies forecast from the Train Heating and Cooling Weather Center on news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 11: Mostly cloudy skies on this Suesday, spotylight shower possible his in the upper fifties, wet and cold for Wednesday. We'll look for those showers to work in during the morning hours and continue into the afternoon and evening rain chances we'll stick around for Thursday. We'll start to dry out Friday, just in time for Halloween, and temperatures are warm back into the mid fifties. From your severe weather station. I'm nine first one of meteorologist kJ Jacobs's Vetio seven hundred WW.
Speaker 9: Radar show scattered clouds in the trienty state sixty degrees right now. News is a service of ae Doorn Window Company. It has been a traffic problem for multiple You heard about it in traffic lots of emergency vehicles and has Matt on Union Center Boulevard over I seventy five. A diesel tanker caught fire there. The has Matt concern has also involved some of that fuel apparently getting into the sewer. There was an earlier call for an ambulance to respond on injuries as well. We are waiting on details about what actually happened. Investigating a number of break ins on the west side.
Speaker 12: Dl High Township, police say two juveniles were caught in a stolen car are suspected in recent break ins of vehicles like at the New Varidian Apartments where the township offices are located, the del Shire Apartments, and at Mount Saint Joseph University.
Speaker 13: They stole anywhere from firearms to purse's, wallets, laptops, things of value that were unfortunately left either in plane view or not concealed.
Speaker 2: That well within the car.
Speaker 12: Lieutenant Joe Mcaluso at Dell High Township Police believes there may be others involved. Matt Reese News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: Also another case involving a juvenile suspect. Cincinnati police have announced they've arrested the person seen on video damaging the Marty Brenneman statue outside Great American Ballpark. A thirteen year old now charged with vandalism on Wall Street. Right now, the Dow is up two hundred and forty nine points, NASDAK up two fifty six. That's about one percent, the s and P gaining thirty three seven one hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 2: Here's a Bengals update.
Speaker 14: Bardi my good spirits at party town at thirteen locations in northern Kentucky. Bengals back at work tomorrow, getting ready for the Chicago Bears, who they meet Sunday at pay Corps Stadium. College football Top twenty five battles Saturday, Cincinnati up against Utah. Preview the game tonight Scott Saderfield show Live for the Original of Montgomery in an eight o five after sports talk here on seven hundred WLW. Baseball Game four of the World Series tonight in Los Angeles. Dodgers leaded there over the Blue Jays two games to one. Game time is at eight o'clock. Bill Edison seven hundred WLW Sport.
Speaker 9: I'm Jack Crumley. Our next update at four o'clock News Anytime. News Radio seven hundred W All Double.
Speaker 15: Seven hundred WLW Cincinnati and iHeartRadio Station make us the number one pre set on your car radio and on the free new and improved iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: Listen for all your music.
Speaker 15: Radio and podcast free never sounded so good. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 5: Progressive Commercial.
Speaker 2: Most truckers can expect the unexpected when driving, but a little heads up like this would still be.
Speaker 1: Back with Eddie and Jason Williams in for Rocket Today and Jase here it is around about this time on a Tuesday. And that means we talked to this person right here Rise for the Queen, Tanyo roorg WCPO nine News. Tanya here it is. Jason and I were just talking about you. We weren't talking about you behind the back. We were talking about it here on this scene.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 1: We were talking about all this fifty thousand, that flame thrower. Oh yeah, but no, we were talking about the fact that you tend to be really holiday gung ho.
Speaker 2: Shall we say right.
Speaker 16: Yes, that is true.
Speaker 1: No, it's I don't remember. Are you crazy big about Halloween? Because I was we were talking about I remember you talking last year that you started cooking for Thanksgiving on Saturday.
Speaker 17: Before that is that's a fact, Jack. However, I will tell you Halloween is my least not least favorite holiday. I like Halloween. I like it, fine, I don't like scary movies. I don't like being scared, So I'm annoyed that every time I turn on the TV, only movies offered are like stream and It and all that Stuff'm like, come on, but but I did decorate for Halloween. It's more like decorating for Fall. But yeah, like I mean, and I'm really excited. I love seeing the kids come.
Speaker 3: We get a.
Speaker 16: Ton of kids.
Speaker 2: I remember you. We've been on before when you've talked about this. Yeah, my gosh.
Speaker 17: Yeah, you should see that. We have three giant bowls, biggest bowls. I own three giant bowls filled with candy already, and which is really bad for my waistline right now because I walk by them multiple times in the day and find myself sneaking twizzlers. And then oh there's a resy cup. Wait, hold on a butterfinger.
Speaker 1: You know it's not good that little bite sized breezy cup.
Speaker 2: I ain't gonna kill anything.
Speaker 1: Oh and there's a little baby, baby baby ruth boom.
Speaker 17: That's right, like pops in your mouth, goes right in. And then I just had a cookie at work. That's some very nice wife of an employee makes cookies for us every day, I'm not kidding you. And today she made cookies with like every Halloween candy, like chocolate candy could think of Eminem's Snickers or whatever. And she cuts them up and she puts them in one can't one cookie and it was divine.
Speaker 8: And I'm like, why am I eating this?
Speaker 16: Why am I eating this?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: My goodness, that gave me diabetes.
Speaker 8: Oh trust me.
Speaker 17: I have a head rush like you can't believe right now. I mean, my gosh, it's so good.
Speaker 2: So yeah, don't you dress up? Do you dress up? And Eddie and I both are wondering does your husband dress up?
Speaker 17: I have gotten him dress up one time, I'll do tell yeah, go to We had to go to a Halloween party, and so it was as lame as you can possibly imagine. But I always kided with my kids that I was Mary Poppins growing up, like practically perfect emphasis on the practically. So I was Mary Poppins and he was a chimney sweep. It was kind of cute, right, very cute. I have photo I have photographic evidence that he's banned me from giving anyone.
Speaker 16: But we yes.
Speaker 17: But I don't dress up a lot, although for work, like I have a really cute blax skirt that looks like a cobweb and like witches shoes and then like socks that I can wear their like orange and black striped so they look like, you know, the witches socks. So I'll probably wear that to work on Friday, I'm working the eleven. I'm working late that night because my my co anchor has little kids. He wants to make sure that he sees them trigger treat and my kids are like, you know, old, so so yeah, I'll probably wear something like that on Friday, with like a black turtleneck and call it a day. But I'm not like going to dress up on camera something. What if something terrible happens, I can't look weird.
Speaker 2: Do you have you ever dressed up one camera before over your career during.
Speaker 17: The well, I've dressed so so the really nice folks at the Bengals have a couple of times allowed me, and I'm sure they would if I did it again.
Speaker 2: I thought about doing this.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I dressed up as Joe Burrow and so they gave me his uniform, which was really cool, like even like, okay, he wears his socks like he wears two different socks, one pulled up, one push down, so you have to wear them like that. I'm like okay. And I walked around downtown like an idiot, like.
Speaker 2: Talking to man on the on the job like man on the street, interviews and stuff.
Speaker 16: I went and did interviews. Yeah, and I did good Joe Burrow.
Speaker 17: I mean, I look so dumb, so dumb, but it's fun and it's comfortable.
Speaker 18: So no.
Speaker 1: Tell you when you're anchoring on Friday. You got to talk to my wife. She can loan you a pair of her ear rings. She got a couple of years ago. At Findley Market, there was a lady but you know they have the little vendors there selling different craft craft jewelry and stuff, and this lady had Halloween ear rings. So she has a pair of ear rings that are guillotines, Oh my god, and a pair of ear rings that on each year she has the twins from the shining Oh my gosh.
Speaker 17: Are they the ones who said red rum red?
Speaker 1: They're the ones who stand in the comment with us Daddy's creepy Yeah, where we saw those, I was like, you gotta get those.
Speaker 19: Yeah.
Speaker 17: I mean, who's whose wardrobe is incomplete?
Speaker 16: About that?
Speaker 5: Correct?
Speaker 17: So yeah, I don't see. That's the thing though, my job is not like fun in that way, Like I can't wear super fun things. Yeah, we're having a bangle special. I can be an all orange and stuff, But goodness, gracious, could you imagine, like, you know, we have a government shut down and I'm got this giant.
Speaker 1: Marriage because you have giant, massive car wreck on I seventy five?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 17: Yeah, So so I'll keep like maybe my shoes and my skirt will be something for super pictures if I do it. Will you guys dress up? I mean, let's not all late this on me. Do you guys have fun with this holiday?
Speaker 1: I haven't dressed up in years, but I used to get into it a little bit when I was a much smaller man one year.
Speaker 2: This is a ton You remember when I was so skinny and tiny, I went, I hear.
Speaker 1: That now, well, but a little real I was a I was a smaller back in the day. And I actually went to like whatever Kmart at the time or Target and got one of those kids outfits.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: It was a Spider Man outfit, was like kind of the plastic latex stuff and squeezed myself into it and I had and I just you know, had the Spider Man mask going.
Speaker 2: And that's what I wore to a Halloween party one time.
Speaker 17: Wait, wait, you could fit into a child customers.
Speaker 1: Well, I was Husky or whatever, the biggest one they made. But yeah, I got into it.
Speaker 2: I don't I get into it, just you know, walking around with the kids and uh and you know we have still treating. Yeah, they're twelve and eight, so we're getting getting pretty close to the twelve year old phasing out here and I next few years, but not if they're smart. I mean, I have eighteen year old in my front door.
Speaker 17: I'm like, what are you doing?
Speaker 16: Oh yeah, that's going on.
Speaker 17: That's like, do you You don't walk around with them anymore?
Speaker 2: To the right now, that this will be the first year where I won't be walking around with anyone. Last year, you know, we did the when he was eight years old. But we have a we have a street, were old street, like you like you all like we've got a ton of trick or treaters. So I like, I grew up. I grew up on a farm in Gallia County in Appalachia, Ohio, and we didn't do any And I was telling Eddie this, like, so I'm like super into just the fact that all these kids come up to my door and whatever they're wearing, and I just that alone is just fun to see people and the energy of just the whole evening is I get a kick out of it. Sounds sounds like I'm seven years old. I get a real kick out of it.
Speaker 16: Hey, you get a kick out you kick out of it.
Speaker 17: We have to like I don't know if your neighborhoods like this, but some of the fun people on our street were like for the parents, they have like you know, cold beverages for them because they're walking with their kids.
Speaker 16: Do you guys have that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I there was my my brother in law. He is a neighborhood like that, and he would have like a we went out. We took our boys out there one year because they had their son as the same age as Jack, and he had a fire pit out in his driveway and we do that. Several of the guys were gathered around. We're all sitting sipping beers and watching the world go by.
Speaker 17: I suspect that since it's a Friday night this year, this is going to be extra rowdy. He's not going to be wet, it's not going to be so cold. And so that's why I bought extra candy this year. I mean, my husband went and bought candy and I'm like, that's all you got, And He's like that's a lot of candy. And I'm like no, no, no, no no. So I went and bought like double so because I just didn't I envisioned that it could get ugly.
Speaker 2: You don't want to run out. That's the worst he ran out.
Speaker 17: I think it was last year, and it was like, I'm so sorry to turn off all the lights.
Speaker 16: I was like, oh, so embarrassing.
Speaker 1: It was so bad, giving out like cans of peas and stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, right, here's a.
Speaker 1: Quarter, right, here's a quarter, and throw a can of tomato soup in there.
Speaker 17: He's expensive.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm getting old. You've had your colleague John matt Reese, I'm talking about that. Wow, it's up big time.
Speaker 17: I think we spent over one hundred dollars on candy this year for giveaway. And and I'm maybe and getting to that age where I'm like, now why do we do this? Like why are we?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 17: I know it's they're so cute though when they show up his little princesses and the little all their doorway.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, the little princesses and uh, you know, the little pirate guys or whatnot are cute. But like you were saying, those eighteen year olds who show up dre like right, get off my porch.
Speaker 2: But then they have a pillowcase for their right because they want to fill that thing up.
Speaker 17: Yes, my oldest son Liam, he had to handout candy cause I don't get home in time for the start of someone the air, so I get home like forty five minutes late for Trigger Street and so he would standing out for me a couple of years ago, and he dressed up This is a six foot one kid, right with a beard, and he dressed up as Tinky Winky from the tell Tebbes Ye so purple, right, and yeah he's purple.
Speaker 12: And he's being like super.
Speaker 17: Obnoxious to these kids, like the cute ones, Like if you were cute, He's like, oh my gosh, you get a handful of candy, you know, like whatever. And then you'd have like the eighteen year old show up in like just a hoodie and he's like what are you and they'd go oh and if they didn't answer right away, you go back in line figure out something else. And so he would make them go to the bag cool and I just sat there like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 8: And they go to the back of line.
Speaker 17: And then they come up and like, well I got thrown out of school, Like I'm a kid who got thrown out of school. They come up with some wild stories like okay, that's good enough.
Speaker 2: He give them like one piece of candy.
Speaker 18: I'm like, oh my god, the egg.
Speaker 2: Eggs making the kid go back an invent backstory.
Speaker 17: You better come up with a good story. I'm not giving you anything unless you give any a good story. Because you know, there was no costume involved at all, but it was I mean, I have to admit it was really funny.
Speaker 1: So all right, Well, don't get your house egged or toilet papered this year. Don't run out of candy again.
Speaker 17: Trust me, If we do, it's going to be a bad situation. Maybe I'll leave it all first.
Speaker 2: See you, Bud, see our good friend Tanyo Rourke. With with that, we check in with traffic and weather. What is going on.
Speaker 6: From the u SEE Health Traffic Center. With a stroke, every second counts and so does your team plan a home too? Rapid life saving treatment and clinical trials. You see Health as a clear choice for stroke care. Learn more at you see health dot com. Well, we do have the sod downs and plant on delays on Union Center between Mohauser and seventy five as a cleanup continues from that earlier tanker fire. And again we've got seventy five southbound on and off ramps and Union Center affected by this. They're shut down. The seventy five northbound ramp to westbound Union Center still affected. You can go eastbound two seventy five westbound between right around Lebanon Road and Mosteller. The accident here is clear, but we've got about a ten minute delay. We're also watching heavier traffic seventy five southbound from Marlbregg And Highway down Norwood, later by a five minute delay and a five minutes slow down to seventy five westbound at the Carrol Cropper Bridge, with delays back to the Petersburg exit by Rick Trumpan News Radio seven hundred wd WELW.
Speaker 1: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW weather center for to night clouds the lower forty five then for tomorrow looks like the rain sets in late in the day. The high of fifty rain on through Thursday, it is sixty down. News Radio seven hundred l.
Speaker 17: WILLI gives me hope, and these days we can all use some hope.
Speaker 1: Willy is here for you, no matter how lousy my day is.
Speaker 14: I know I can count on Willie to turn things around here to soothe your fears.
Speaker 8: I wish I could find a man just like Willie, like the great American that I am.
Speaker 2: But he uses lots of big words.
Speaker 3: I use lots of big words too.
Speaker 2: It's almost like we're twins.
Speaker 1: All you have to do is listen to me the Great America, Bill Cunningham tomorrow at twelve noon on seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 19: This report is sponsored by backslattractor, you're Cabota Headquarters backslatractor dot com.
Speaker 14: Backs attractor is Cincinnati's goodbye.
Speaker 1: By bringing up the Bengals and her thoughts on that, because in case you would don't know this, Tanya Roork is indeed, and I think self admittedly obsessive about the Bengals.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes she is. What was when she went to the Super Bowl and covered the Super Bowl? She borrowed someone's It was like this really cool like custom Bengals tiger jacket. It was like super cool. I think she made it.
Speaker 7: She made it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she makes the she makes that kind of bling and yeah, she came up with some kind of wacky bedazzled Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was when you know you're a true diehard fan when you're making your own you're making your own gear.
Speaker 1: And she goes and I and she this ain't someone a patch on a jacket, right, You've got to see these things.
Speaker 2: It's insane.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So in other news, Jace, now see you think you hit it sometime because I used to where were you? Outdoor country roads all the time where we used to live, and so I was always worried, especially at night a deer because they as we all know could just fly out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: I think we've had between my mom and dad and brothers, I think we've hit five deer in our is a driving career, Yeah, I mean where we lived.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I came close one time, but I ever clipped one. Well this is in is Zimbabwe, so things are a little different there. And unfortunately a guy died yeah in this bizarre accident that happened the windshield happened, well, it happened a couple of weeks ago. The fellaw's name is uh Desiree. Maybe is it a guy, but anyways, it is Desiree Moyo.
Speaker 5: So uh so.
Speaker 2: Mister miss Moyo whoever?
Speaker 1: And four of these people were driving along this highway in the night and they crashed into an elephant. Oh, the other occupants of the car were uninjured. One of them said the elephant was struck on its backside after the car hit it in the butt. It turned around and attacked the car and that's how he died with on the attack.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It is believed the elephant's reaction did the most damage and led to Moyo's demise.
Speaker 2: What what what country was this? Zimbabwe? It wasn't in Florida. It wasn't in Florida.
Speaker 1: And let's let's say whatever they still.
Speaker 2: See. I'm not trying, I mean, you know, but but.
Speaker 1: Still, man, imagine running and running into an elephant and had it turn on you that that sounds like Now I'm going to have a nightmare about this time we had. We have diet an elephant attack and I'm a nightmare. We have a family friend that hit a buffalo out and ah, yeah, I've heard that Tanner, Wyoming when they were driving across the country and uh, buddy, they take it seriously out there. Man, that's a major fine if you like you don't make every effort to get out of the way of it.
Speaker 2: Coming up.
Speaker 1: We're going to be talking to our good friend, our tech expert, Dave Hatter. But that is after the news right now. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: News Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 20: Cincinnati, States bringing legal action as the shutdown threatens tens of millions of Americans dealing with food and security. With the four o'clock report, I'm Sean Gallbagher breaking now Kentucky, joining twenty four other states and the District of Columbia in a lawsuit that challenges what they call the Trump administration's unlawful decision to suspend snap benefits for November if the government shutdown were to continue. But sharing a statement, said the President should be focused on fighting hunger and not causing it, adding that around six hundred thousand Kentuckians will be amongst the more than forty million Americans who will go without food assistants. More than a million people in Ohio would be impacted. The governor joined by Kentucky Congressman Morgan McGarvey, also sounding the alarm about health insurance premiums.
Speaker 21: The two Democrats to virtual news conference to call on President Trump and Republicans to extend Affordable Care Act tax credits, which have been the sticking point in the shutdown.
Speaker 22: If these credits aren't extended, nearly one hundred thousand Kentuckians with insurance plans through our state marketplace called connect could see up to thirty seven percent higher premiums for twenty twenty six coverage.
Speaker 21: President Trump and GOP leaders say they will consider extending the tax credits that otherwise expire at year's end, but only after Democrats vote to reopen the government.
Speaker 2: I'm Paul Miles.
Speaker 20: Now the latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 6: From the YOUC Health Traffic Center with a stroke every second. Council sonis your team, home to rapid life saving treatment and clinical trials. You see Healthy is your clear choice for stroke care. Learn more you see health dot Com. Seventy five sowing southbound Ronaldigan Highway to Norwood lateral at the calc Ropper bridge to seventy five west has about a five minute delay back to the Petersburg exit with the ongoing bridge work. Union Center shut down between Mohogzer and seventy five cleanup and away from that earlier tanker fire. Seventy five southbound off ramp and on ramps to Union Center shut down and bought. Seventy five northbound. The ramp to westbound Union Center is still blocked. Eastbound is open to seventy five westbound between Levinon Road and Musteller crash is cleared. Still about a five minute delay. Alexandria Pike at Constable in State Route one thirty two, a grand View Lane with police cleaning up accidents and getting reports of writing at Goldberth with a crash. Now, I'm Rick SHREMP News Radio seven hundred W wildw Now.
Speaker 9: The latest forecast from the No Fear Dentist Weather Center Advanced dentistry the thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck.
Speaker 5: We're here for you.
Speaker 7: No Fear Dentist dot Com.
Speaker 20: Most of Claude tonight below down to forty four, then mostly Claude Wednesday, with rain likely, especially by late afternoon high of fifty two, rain continuing Wednesday night and into the first half of Thursday. Right now, radar is showing a mostly cloudy sky and our temperature fifty nine degrees. An officer involves shooting taking place in the Madisonville neighborhood this afternoon. Cincinnati Police say that officers responded to Hayley Avenue, just off Bramble Avenue near Bramble Park to conduct a welfare check on an older man. In turn, Police Chief Adam Henny said at one point officers made contact with an individual who waved a firearm, with shots fire by police. The suspect hospitalized with non life threatening injuries. Hurricane Melissa slamming Jamaica with catastrophic winds and life threatening flash flooding. The Category five hurricane packing maximum sustained winds of one hundred and sixty five miles per hour as it crosses the western part of the island. It's one of the most powerful hurricane landfalls on record in the Atlantic Basin. Forecasters say that the storm will dump several feet of rain and trigger landslides before it weekends as it passes over Jamaica. Hurricane Melissa expected to move back into the Caribbean Sea in the next few hours.
Speaker 14: Seven one hundred WLW Sports Here's a Bengals lobdey Bari my good spirits at party Town with thirteen locations in northern Kentucky. Bengals back at work tomorrow, getting ready for the Chicago Bears, who they meet Sunday at Pey Corpse Stadium. College football Top twenty five battles Saturday, Cincinnati up against Utah. Preview the game tonight Scott Saderfield Show live for the original Montgomery in an eight oh five after sports talk here on seven hundred WLW. Baseball Game four of the World Cheries tonight in Los Angeles, Dodgers leading there over the Blue Jays two games to one. Game time is at eight o'clock. Bill Edison seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 20: Sports Final Bell on Wall Street, the Dow up one hundred and sixty two points, Nasty Cup not one hundred and ninety, and the SMP up sixteen points.
Speaker 2: Our next update is at four thirty.
Speaker 20: I'm Shaan Gaalbager News Radio seven hundred WLB.
Speaker 7: This report is sponsored by Apollo Home, your source for plumbing, heating, and air and electrical.
Speaker 1: Get ready for reluctant to this day and age, there's a news story, multiple new stories every day about it, it seems like, and that's the reason this guy is staying in business. He is our good friend, our tech expert, Dave Hatter, and Dave I will say it again. I've said it to you a couple of times now that we used to kind of laugh about it and give you a hard time because you're so paranoid. And now the more we talk to you and the more I read it was like, oh my god, Hatter's not even tunneled as half of it.
Speaker 18: No doomsday. Dave wasn't quite as nutty as he's seen.
Speaker 23: Right.
Speaker 18: Yeah, you know, guys, I wish it weren't the case. I really do, because these attacks that we're seeing are increasingly frequent well, and they're increasingly impactful one in some cases devastating both the individuals and organizations. I wish it weren't the case, but sadly it is.
Speaker 5: Well. The one.
Speaker 1: The first one I wanted to talk about this was on sixty Minutes last week, and this is the one we've talked to most about. And I think that a lot of us, I know, I've been worried about this forever. When our enemies in this case, it seems to always be the Chinese, even though I know the Russians have dabbled in it and who God knows who ell is, But the Chinese were discovered to have infiltrated a water treatment plant at a little town in Massachusetts now and completely taking it over, right, David.
Speaker 18: Yeah, guys, I'm glad you brought this up, because this is the kind of stuff that really does keep me up at night. I think you best know in my spare time, I'm the mayor fort right now. Thankfully, we don't provide these kinds of services to our residents. You know, the water comes from the Northern Kentucky Water District, Sanitation Sanitation District, electricity is duke, but we do got to make sure that the ambulance's role in the police role when they're called. And you know, when you look at this sort of threat to society, right, this is so far beyond now just oh we lost some money, or we lost some data, or some sensitive information was exposed on the internet. We're talking about attacks that affect the physical world and potentially could cause deaths, right. I mean, if someone could take control of a water processing plan and change the amount of chemicals doing and look up the Oldsmore water plant and flater for example. Or again this is a recent story just from you know, the last month or so. These kind of attacks are increasingly frequent, and most local governments do not really have the resources to take this on. You know, most of them don't have some nerd like me it's directly involved, and I think a lot of them still don't really take these seriously. So I'm really glad you brought this up, but I want to fill out a huge shout out to Ohio. You guys may not realize that in Ohio they're leading on this cybersecurity front on many levels as a state, and not the reason which is recent passage of House Bill ninety six, which requires local governments in Ohio to take various cybersecurity actions for lacks of better where, including building a cybersecurity program to protect their constituents, taxpayers, et cetera. So it's it's a really smart plan. It's a huge improvement. I'm trying to get something like this done in Kentucky, but if you live in Ohio, you should be thankful to know that at least at the state level, they're taking this seriously, and they are requiring local governments throughout the state, which would include any sort of you know, water district or something that is collecting taxpayer funds, rate payer funds. They're going to have to get serious about doing this, and I think it's long overdue because that story you guys just point out shows this is a real threat that's happening every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I was reading the story, Dave, and what's really I think the Actura scary is nothing necessarily happened there in Littleton, Massachusetts. But the FBI found that the Chinese government remained they had taken control of the network, or they knew the passwords or whatever for lack of a better term, but they just kind of remain dormant about it, and that's that's really scary. And then the story was on to say that the Chinese have access to two hundred utilities in small towns and what what what what's the the end What did they do?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What what's Yeah? What's the endgame here? And what could really happen?
Speaker 18: Well, that's a good question, Jason, and you guys may recall, because I'm pretty sure we've talked about it on your show. You know, it's not just things like this, it's the telecom network, right, The FBI was warning about Chinese Communist Party infiltration and the telecom network. And if you think about it, since everything is digital now and everything goes through the telecom network at some point in the Internet, you know, if you had total con if you get back door the telecom network and flip the switch and shut it down, will you turn off almost everything? I mean, look at how devastating the Amazon Web services out it to us. So that was only roughly fifteen hours of outage, it took down sites all across the Internet, from video games to ring doorbells. Imagine if you could go in and just shut down the telecom network that makes all of this work. But the answer questions specifically here like these water plants and other critical infrastructure. The FBI categorizes sixteen different types of critical infrastructure. Obviously the power.
Speaker 5: Grid, water.
Speaker 18: You know, you can't live too long without water, guys, and you know e electricity makes all of this stuff possible. So when you just look at those two things alone, not to mention like chemical plants and logistics, it's pretty serious. And you know, if you're in let's say two hundred critical infrastructure agencies of some sort, and if you're just in the business, we call it dwell time. I get in and I just lurk. I'm dwelling. I may not necessarily do anything. I'm just looking for what can I steal or in the case of an enemy nation state actor, where could I plant backdoors so I can maintain persistence? Or where could I cause a problem that would shut this down? I mean, you think about it. There If the FBI is saying two hundred utilities compromised, and I don't know in this story they're accounting for the teletom work as well. But if you could just one day, when you decide that today is the day we're going to take Taiwan, where Today is the day that we're going to do something else in the world, and we need cover for it. We need to create chaos. We need to basically take the United States out of the game because they have too many of their own internal problems when you flip the switch. If you, guys, really want to be disturbed, look up some stories about recent instances where you know, a lot of the solar panels that we now have in this country that provide pallette came from China, and back doors have been found in the backdoors is fancy nerds speak for a hole in the software that would allow a remote actor to take control or to shut it down. You know, sadly, guys, we're at a place where all the underlying technology makes the Internet work was developed. When you get back to the plain old telephone system of pots, you know, one hundred plus years ago, the Internet, PCPIP, all the underlying technology late sixties, early seventies, when no thought was given to some say the entire world run off this stuff, and we've been way too laxed or way too long about doing the hard work because it's expensive and it creates friction, it causes problems to retrofit security and on propitence. But when you see more and more stories like this, and you look at even some of the local governments here locally that have had some fairly devastating attacks. Thankfully, I don't believe any of them have been traced to any death yet. But again, imagine if you could just turn off the power or even just make it impossible to dispat dispatch police and fire, and then you know, start some other sort of attack. It would be catastrophic. And I hate to be the doomsday guy, but you know, that's where we're at. We have got to get serious as a society about doing the things we need to do to protect our critical infrastructure. Because again, it's not just lost money, it's not just lost data, it's not just unfortunate downtime. People's lives potentially hang into balance when ninety one one services can't get out or you don't have water or power. Think of how think of how unfortunate Winner would be in Cincinnati with no electricity. Well, it makes for a really bad, bad winner.
Speaker 1: And think about what we're talking about here. You know, they have the capability of they could have if they wanted to shut down that water plant. Uh and they had, they've infiltrated like the like the Jason said two hundred others or whatever the number was. But this is this would be all part of a coordinated attack, guys. I mean, you don't have to be a strategic genius to figure out that, uh, what domino is going to fall, and then they're all going to fall and it's just going to create mass chaos.
Speaker 18: It's exactly right, Eddie. And there's another angle to this that I think people often either overlook or don't always sort of understand the backstory on again, the idea that if I can infiltrate your system, whether it's because of bad passwords, whether it's because of legacy equipment that doesn't get updates from the vendor, or for what reason, if I'm a bad actor, particularly a nation state actor like a China or Russia, if I can get a persistent foothold in there, a backdoor again if you will, and I can just dwell in there until such time that I decided to flip the switch. That's pretty bad. Now you mentioned the idea of flipping them all at one time, which is even worse. But imagine if you could just continue to stay in there, and monitor what people are doing, all of the information you could collect about how emergency responders would respond, what their plans are, potential interaction because you know, thankfully we have great organizations, particularly in the state of Ohio, like the Ohio Cyber Reserve with through the Ohio National Guard, you know, which interfaces with the military to try to provide support any event there is some sort of catastrophic cyber event. You've got Infraguard, which is a public private partnership with the FBI. You've got Scissors, the Cybersecuty Infrastructure Situviator. There's all kinds of people out there trying to help wake people up about this, trying to help people, like local governments in Ohio descend against this. But if you're in there long enough, you would start to capture all of the planning and information that's being used to figure out how to prevent this very thing from happening. So it's not just the flip and the switch, it's all the information, theft and all the inside you would get into the planning and the defense is to try to prevent this very sort of thing from happening. So again, and then this sounds crazy to people and then I just thought one last quick thing stucks that you guys may recall. It's I don't believe the US has ever claimed that this happened, But back in like the late twenty ten timeframe, Iranian uranium processing facilities were basically destroying themselves because someone quote unquote was able to slip a virus in there. And basically these machines would tell the operators they were operating within normal palaces while they were basically destroying themselves. To imagine the mansion, the chaos you could treat if why you're in these networks, the water plant or whatever, the water plant is telling you, its sensors are saying, yep, everything is good. Chemical levels are fine, and in reality they're actually poisoning the water. But the sensors are telling you all is good because the software is picturerupted.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 18: I know this sounds far fetched to people, but that actually happened. To look up Stuff's net and how all these uranium enrichment devices basically were destroyed while they said they were doing what they were supposed to do.
Speaker 1: All right with that, Dave, We always go into this thing wanting knowledge, and we leave all kinds of depressed and realize the end is dear.
Speaker 2: Dave had Her. It's always a pleasure, buddy, Thanks so much.
Speaker 18: It's my pleasure. And it's been good knowing you guys.
Speaker 1: See see you on the other side. Son, are good, Our good friend Dave had Her. We always have like five things we want to talk about with him, but he starts talking about one thing like that. But I think that's the most important. But yes, man, that's that scary stuff, buddy. Sure with that, we take in with traffic and weather, what is going on going on.
Speaker 6: We're uplifting from the you See Health traffic center with a stroke every second counts and SODA's your team home to rapid life saving treatment and clinical trials. We see Health as a clear choice for your stroke care. Learn more You See Health. Come seventy five southbound approaching Paddock. A breakdown, left lane taken up and I've got this on the right side and the construction zone so it's adding delays. So we do have seventy five still affected at Union Center. A Union Center is shut down because of the cleanup of that tanker fire from earlier today. It's still ongoing. So seventy five southbound the off ramp and on ramp to Union Center is blocked. A seventy five northbound off ramp to westbound Union Center is still taken up. You can go eastbound. We do have seventy five something between Mitchell and Paddock and Alexandria Pike constable to crash seventy one northbound. It's about a ten minute drive now from Smith Edward. It's the Stewart I'm ricks Rampnews Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: The forecast from the seven hundred WLW Weather Center for tonight clouds the lower forty five. Then for tomorrow looks like the rain sets in late in the day. The high of fifty rain on through Thursday, it is sixty down. News Radio, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: What is sports?
Speaker 24: Sports his family. It's mom driving everyone to the soccer practice. It's dad teaching you how to break in a new ball glove. It's everyone loading into the car and going to the big game. Sports is family. That's why we love it.
Speaker 17: Sports Talk with Lance McAllister tonight at six on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: This report is sponsored by Maderna. Ready when you are Mnextspike COVID nineteen vaccine mRNA by Maderna is available now. Just visit mnexspike dot com. That's m e x spik e dot com.
Speaker 1: Hey what if you could pull up to five hundred thousand dollars in cash out of your home and drop your mortgage rate to four point nine to nine percent APR. You can do it right now at loan Proto. They've got the lowest rates in three years. With the loan Protos Rapid Equity loan, you get your cash in as little as three days, pay off of those high interest credit cards, and even skip your next two house payments. There's no weight, no hard credit pull up front. You probably won't need an appraisal. Rates are at a three year low. Act while you can call five one three eight hundred fifteen fifty or visit loanproto dot com for your free instant home appraisal. Loan Proto eight plus rated with the BBB and nearly twenty five hundred five star Google reviews. Call five one three eight hundred fifteen fifty and see how much cash you can get today. Loanproto dot com. Equal Housing Lender n MLS one sixty six one. Want to prove credit? Visit NMLS Consumer access dot org.
Speaker 2: You're still glowing, flirting, grooving, you still got it, But your immune system weakens as you age.
Speaker 1: Ripen about your Cincinnati Bengals and what's coming up here on the It's their off date, right, do a little class working that type of thing.
Speaker 2: Today's the off day, and then back out of tomorrow. Wednesday is a big, big, big prep day in the NFL. So I only know a little bit about the Bears. How the Bears are so far? What are they like?
Speaker 18: Four?
Speaker 2: Four and three now three something like that. Yeah, they're they're they're better. They got a new coach this season. They're coming off a kind of a tough loss at Baltimore. I mean Baltimore without Lamar Jackson still beat him thirty to sixteen. Well that that had to That had to left the Bears a little bit frustrated because you know, you're going in there. The Ravens were one and five and no.
Speaker 1: Laa Jackson and your Ravens are turning it around as fair pretty much new.
Speaker 24: Uh.
Speaker 2: And the Steelers got absolutely smoked by the Packers the other night. That's Steelers team, man is you know, yeah, Well let's well we'll talk we'll talk football. With repeat. You know what, we haven't talked about that World Series game last night? Oh did you?
Speaker 1: I'm just still going on right it is. They're in the two hundred and seventeenth in right now, But no, I went. I watched it till the end, and I was getting tired, and I said, man, I getta, you know, I gonna. I don't care that much about either team, like like baseball, but I don't care that much. And so uh it was bottom they got the third down, the bottom of the Knights, and I just said, screw it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to bed.
Speaker 1: And then I get up this morning and see that it went eighteen. That's insane. Man, that's baseball though none of this ghost Runner crap and that type of thing. Come on, exactly, play it out two games for the price of one, YEP, and World Series like you know what that I agree with that.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 2: I don't care if that's in the World Series or in April. I agree. I'm all for that stuff.
Speaker 5: But I know.
Speaker 2: When you're trying to appeal to new fans like yeah, yeah, yeah, not a lot of them want to want to stay up until three forty five, or it might have been totally down for it.
Speaker 1: With with that, we will be talking to James Ripping about the Bengals, but that's after the news right down News Radio seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 7: News Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred w l W, Cincinnati. The storm is hitting. We won't know the true extent of the damage for a while. With the four to thirty report, I'm Jack Crumley breaking now.
Speaker 10: Thankfully, the international community has come on board in a big way and we have commitments of support already established, so we should be able to launch our recovery process very quickly after the storm has passed.
Speaker 9: Jamaican Prime Minister Andrew Wholeness as Hurricane Melissa is hitting his country. It is one of the most powerful hurricane landfalls on record in the Atlantic Basin. Life Threatening flooding, devastating winds, and storm surge are all ongoing currently packing maximum sustained winds of now one hundred and fifty miles an hour, which is dropping it to a high powered Category four hurricane Matthew. Twenty five ministries of Blue Ashes getting ready to send their disaster relief teams to Jamaica. They're calling for donations of cash and supplies now Details about what they need and where to drop it off can be found at seven hundred wlw's page on X and Facebook. Let's check the roagues, the latest traffic and weather together from.
Speaker 6: The UC Health Traffic Center with the stroke Every sack ad counts and so does your team home to rapid life saving treatment and clinical trials. You see Health is a clear choice for stroke care. Learn more you see health dot com. Seventy five southbound approaching Paddock left lane taken up with a breakdown, and we've got delays. That's in the construction zone, and we've got delays building in the area. We do have a seventy five and Union Center is still affected. Union Center shut down between Mohauser and seventy five cleanup due to that earlier tanker truck fire. Southbound seventy five, the on ramp and off rampt Union Center closed. Northbound seventy five. The off ramp to westbound Union Center is still shut down. You can go eastbound on to seventy five with the Carrol Cropper Bridge. We've got delays westbound back to the Petersburg exit. Southbound back to US fifty in Indiana in about a fifteen minute drive. Seventy five south Ronald Reagan Highway to Norwood Lateral through the roadwork by Brick Shrimp. News Radio seven hundred w dollwd's got a.
Speaker 9: Report of another crash now northbound seventy five right around Mitchell. That's causing delays as you try to get to the Norwood Lateral and sings pretty big delays for four thirty on southbound seventy one. You're on the breaks before you get to the Martin Luther King exit and that'll stay slow all the way down to four seventy one or Fort Washington Way to get you to the Brent Spence Bridge.
Speaker 7: Now the Ladies forecast from the Train Heating and Cooling Weather Center on news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: We are looking at cloudy skies overnight Tonight, isolated showers. The overnight low forty five degrees For Wednesday, cloudy skies, rain very likely, especially by the afternoon. We are looking at pretty much a washout on the day. Wednesday's high right in the low fifties. It'll rain, will continue Wednesday night and rain for much of the first half of the day. On Thursday, a high staying in the low fifties radar right now showing mostly cloudy skies in the tri state sixty one degrees. News is the service of low T Center and Queens City.
Speaker 24: Ford officers are a dispatch with VA Social workers to sixty eight for sixty five seventy four Hailey Avenue for a welfare check on an individual.
Speaker 9: And Cincinnati Police Chief Adam Henny giving an update this afternoon, says a person in that house near Bramble Park in Madisonville had a gun.
Speaker 2: Police shot that person.
Speaker 9: They are now in the hospital with injuries described as being non life threatening. Officers have been on the scene now for the last couple of hours. No word yet on any names or potential charges. Also no word yet on any possible charges. After a diesel tanker had a fire on Union Center Boulevard over I seventy five just around noon today.
Speaker 2: You heard about it in traffic. It's been going on all afternoon.
Speaker 9: The Principle of nearby Lakota West put out word that all students were safe.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 9: A number of emergency vehicles, including has Matt have been on the scene. There's been talk of some of the fuel and or fire making it into the sewer drains and Cincinnati's Vice President Jade Vance, talking to reporters today after he met with Senators behind closed doors. Among the topics the government shut down, tariffs, and news that the Israeli Prime Minister is again ordering powerful strikes in Gaza.
Speaker 2: Resident achieved a historic piece in the Middle East.
Speaker 16: The ceasefire is holding.
Speaker 2: That doesn't mean that there aren't going to be little skirmishes here and there.
Speaker 9: Israel's accusing Hamas of breaking the ceasefire. The Israeli Army chief is quoted as saying the war is not yet over. Al Jazeera reports at least ninety four Palestinians have been killed since the beginning of the ceasefire on October tenth. On Wall Street today, the Dow ending up one hundred and sixty two points, NASDACK up one ninety two in the.
Speaker 7: S and P up sixteen seven one hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 14: Here's a Bengals update Bardia by Good Spirits at Party Town with thirteen locations in northern Kentucky. Bengals back and work tomorrow, getting ready for the Chicago Bears, who they meet Sunday at Pey Corps Stadium. College football Top twenty five Battles Saturday, Cincinnati up against Utah. Preview the game tonight Scott Saderfield Show Live for the original of Montgomery in an eight oh five after sports talk here on seven hundred WLW Baseball Game four of the World Series tonight in Los Angeles, Dodgers leading there the Blue Jays two games to one. Game time is at eight o'clock. Bill Edison seven underd W You Sport.
Speaker 2: I'm Jack Crumley.
Speaker 9: Our next update at five o'clock Breaking News Anytime News Radio seven hundred double Qall double.
Speaker 1: Don't be haunted by the old stage in your carpet back with Eddie and Jason and Jason. That's been talked about here for the last forty eight hours.
Speaker 2: And guy is falling. This guy is falling, and where is it falling?
Speaker 1: Already the sky was blue the other day and now, James Rapine the sky the skies have turned gray again, and it's stormy in the great city of Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Buddy, how you doing?
Speaker 18: I'm doing well?
Speaker 5: How are you?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 2: James?
Speaker 19: So so?
Speaker 2: James?
Speaker 1: What what kind of vibe you you were down there in the locker room yesterday? What uh you know, after the after the wall fell?
Speaker 2: What what happened? How everybody? How's everybody acting?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 19: I think they know that the significance of that game, but they NFL players generally aren't like like us from a oh well.
Speaker 16: We lost to the Jets, so what does that mean for our season? I think they're that they.
Speaker 19: Were trying to focus and get ready for a game against the Bears, right and try to move the page.
Speaker 16: And I think it's tough.
Speaker 19: It's tough for me and you, but they have no choice, and so I think that was part of where they were at. But obviously they knew they should have won on Sunday. I think everyone understands that the ship James.
Speaker 2: I'm a loyal, loyal watcher of all your post game breakdowns on the CBT since I bangs talk and I love it and I always get it. I love the flag football when you always say the flag football ad, that's that's pretty cool stuff. I guess kind of you know, you're always breaking it down. You have great, great breakdowns of the games and on the bigger picture of all of this and where did this? Can you pinpoint where this all went wrong? Defensively? And I know that's not a this year thing you do was there a was there a decision made a few years ago or decisions where you're like, up, that was the turn and now we're seeing the results of that.
Speaker 16: Oh for sure.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I mean I think I think you're totally right that this was this was a problem that became a problem the moment you let Jesse Bates balk.
Speaker 16: Yeah, and when Jesse Bates leaves.
Speaker 19: Town when he really hadn't played his best football, like his best football has been played in Atlanta. And so when your draft a guy like that developed him either borderline Pro bowler, and then he becomes even better and one of the best safeties in the league, and you don't replace him.
Speaker 16: And it's, by the way, those guys are hard to replace. They're hard to find.
Speaker 5: And this is right.
Speaker 19: Exactly, And so that's where I went wrong, fellas I mean, and it's not just him, but like just just just think if the Bengals had just paid Jesse Bates and let's say they don't pay your main Pratt or let's just say they don't pay your main Pratt or Logan Wilson, and they just pay Jesse Bates, they're much better off.
Speaker 2: Today's amazing.
Speaker 16: And so when you make those decisions. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 19: Like they I'm never going to say, oh, well they don't have the money, and like they still have the money. It's not because they've paid tier Jamar that their defense is the way it is.
Speaker 16: But that's not it.
Speaker 19: But are they willing to structure contracts certain ways, be aggressive enough and spend on GUIDs that are in their prime. That's why I wanted them to pay team. You don't let talent like that in their prime walk out the door, really regardless of the position, unless you have an embarrassment of riches.
Speaker 16: And they've never been in that scenario.
Speaker 19: So it's with Jesse Bates and it's compounded since with with draft picks, failed draft picks, letting a guy like DJ Reader walk. I mean, there's a lot of layers to this. It certainly didn't happen overnight. And uh yeah, it's it's been one move after another that's kind of cost them over time.
Speaker 1: We're talking to James Repeat from the Lockdown Bengels podcast and Allbengals dot Com and James, in your opinion, what what happens? Say they lose to the uh to the Bears this week and go into the buy a week is uh, is there possible there's going to be a not necessarily a fire sale, but the moving some high profile players.
Speaker 16: Well, I think that that's something that they.
Speaker 19: Don't plan on doing. But you're right, if you know, if you lose this week and you get to three and six, you have to have that conversation with yourself, who are you?
Speaker 6: What are you?
Speaker 16: What are you going to be?
Speaker 19: And and that's uh, that's a tough start to be it. And so we'll see what they ultimately decide to do. I think I think if you're three and six, you certainly consider in listening offers for Trey. I think he's listening to offers for for guys like that, you know, Cam Taylor, Brett, Logan Wilson. I think they're listening to offers for those guys right now anyways. And so that that's it. And that's why the lost.
Speaker 16: The other day was as jarring as it.
Speaker 19: Was it was, because if you win the other day, well then you feel like, Okay, there's a real shot here. You're four and four, two and one with Joe Flacco, you have a winnable game against the Bears, trade deadline's coming up, you have plenty of picks, Like who knows, maybe you at a piece, maybe you trade Logan Wilson or one of these guys for a piece that can help you, and another team feels like Wilson is going to help them more, you know, like that that's totally realistic.
Speaker 16: And now it just feels like.
Speaker 19: They're they're fighting uphill again and they've they've stumbled back seven spots just by losing one game. Because of the impact of that game on what it could represent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you you are on top of all the players that are out there available, and you know, when it comes to local local media, you're on top of that more than anyone about Hey, this this guy is on the trade market out there. This would be a good guy, a good fit for this organization. And earlier today you tweeted about cave is a cave On Thibodeau pass rusher for the Giants who is reportedly on the trading block. It made me think, like would they would they then try to, you know, trade draft picks for a guy like that and still think they have a shot this year and I know that guy's under contract next year. Even get a guy like that to prepare for the rebuild, you know, going the rest of this season moving in the next season. Could could you see him even going that direction?
Speaker 19: Yeah, I think it's certainly something and they would or should consider her. I mean Avon Thibodeau. The reason he makes sense is it doesn't matter what you do Sunday, it doesn't matter really this season, what you do. He'd be under contract next year and could be a building piece, be a building block at just twenty four years old. And so yeah, I think that's how they should operate now is all right, Well, can you get win now pieces that are also win later and can be part of the twenty twenty six Bengals and beyond, and specifically on defense, because they've tried fellas all right, they have tried to make this work and tried to get key pieces in there, and it just it hasn't worked. And that's the problem is try to try to try. Fine, we'll go get proven pieces. And if you think back to twenty twenty, they did that. They get DJ Reader in free agencies and they go out and they get the next free agency Mike Hilton and Chudobaylouzie. They got Von Bell in twenty twenty. Like a lot of the pieces that helped them get to the Super Bowl. They gotten free agency, not necessarily the draft, and so whether it's free agency, whether it's trades, they need to do whatever they can to upgrade this defense in a big, big way in the near future.
Speaker 2: Well you're Jane, you're hitting right on it, because that's I mean, when you think about it, if they're going to try to blow this defense up and then reload through the draft, that is a long, long process and seems pretty daunting and certainly given their track record, like you know, you're looking at really a total rebuild if they're going to go to that direction. So the best direction for them to again maximize and try to recapture the window of Joe Burrow, like you almost, you got to go through trades and free agency, right, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 16: I think that's.
Speaker 19: And I know we talked about like the state of the defense and where it was and how it got there. It could have been rebuilt this off season, and when you go get a new coach, you know you think that way. And the problem is is they just added TJ. Slayton, and I like TJ. Slayton, but they yeah, yeah, I did, Like you you need to if you're if you're reworking something or completely renovating something, well it's probably not going to just be one piece. And even if you like those young guys, you probably need to go out and get more than that. And that's the problem is they didn't. They didn't do that. It put them in a tough spot going into the draft.
Speaker 16: And then the guys they.
Speaker 19: Drafted, which fine, if you like them, you like them, but the guys that drafted weren't plug and play and they needed plug and play instant impact.
Speaker 18: And so when you you multiply that, oh.
Speaker 19: Well you're not getting a ton of impact in free agency, and then you're not getting a ton of impact in the draft, and you need those guys to be impactful or you get what you've seen to this point, which is a defense that's uh, that's young, that's inexperience, that's making mistakes, and that can't do the things they need to do to be a winning football team.
Speaker 1: And finally, speaking of that, James, let me ask both you guys, and we were just talking about the failure to develop these younger players. Is that a scouting problem or is it a development problem with the coaching staff in your opinion.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I mean I think it's a both and hens as both, you know, the scouting element. Like, I think it's a tough spot for Demetrius Knight, who turned twenty five in July, to come in and be expected to be this plug and play starter. He wasn't super experienced as it was, and so that's that's a tough ask. Samar Stewart, I like him as a prospect. There's a lot to like, but it's no secret that he wasn't a refined pass rusher that has all the pass rush moves you need, you know, So it was going to take time and so that part of stuff, and then their their lack of spending and free agency certainly multiplies the issue.
Speaker 1: All right with that, James, we will let you go, buddy, Thanks so much, Thanks appreciate James. James Rapine the Lockdown Bengals podcast, Allbengals dot Com. And yeah, that's you always. That's just been kind of in the back of my mind, is it. The people are always talking about their lack of a scouting department, But then, okay, sooner or later you're going to accidentally hit on some let's face it, as a scout these guys are stupid. But is it a player development problem? I'm you know, I'm but listen, you know, James is there a practice every day. He's there on a day to day basis, so you know, certainly not won't argue what he says. Uh, you know, I agree, it's it's it's a little bit of both.
Speaker 2: I tend to lean more on the on the front end side of that that the lack of a robust scouting department. And you know, Eddie, we've been we've been talking about this for years. Like I've got a question in my inbox column at the Inquirer last week. Someone was asking me about it, and it just made me think, I remember back in early two thousands, in the nineties that was such a big headline. Is like there's you know, they're lie and then they they were so bad for so many years there they're like, Okay, we're going to hire John Cooper, the fired Ohio State, former Ohio State football coach, as a consultant, and that was you know it. But it's als So it's I'm not I'm not whatever on that now, but I'm just saying it made it reminded me of the fact that this has always been an issue, that their short staffed player personnel and scouting department has always been a question mark and always you know, they have the smallest scouting staff. You know, last year I did a column on it where when they lost to Pittsburgh, I went and count it up on the website. You know, Pittsburgh had twenty seven at that time, had twenty seven people in their scouting department, player personnel department, football operations, whatever.
Speaker 19: You know.
Speaker 2: Some teams call it something different. The Bengals at the time had six, right, yeah, And it's like, you know, oh, there's the difference. And it's like if you're and the thing is is that the more eyes you have, the more more things you can put on the table, the more people you can send out. You can send more guys out during the college football season to go visit the Alabamas and the Marshalls and even little tiny schools say that when you have guys scout more, yeah, slippery rocks and that exactly. You like to find that diamond in the rough. And certainly the Kansas City Chiefs and the Pittsburgh Steelers, you know, tend to find those kinds of players with that we check in with traffic and weather. What is going on from the UC Health Traffic Center.
Speaker 6: With stroke every second counts and so does your team home to rapidly life saving treatment and clinical trials. You See Health is a clear choice for stroke care. Learn more U seehealth dot com. And traffic on seventy five still affected with the situation in Union Center shutdown between Mohauser and seventy five with the cleanup of that tanker truck fire from earlier today on ramp and off ramp seventy five south Reunion Center shut down. Northbound ramp to westbound Union Center still close. Seventy five southbound Wandaregan Highway to Norwood lateral by a ten minute drive delays that the Carrol Cropper Bridge ongoing bridge war care continues, so we have westbound delays back to the Petersburg accit in Kentucky. Southbound back to U West fifty in Indiana. Also seventy five northbound at Mitchell getting reports of a crash and that is on the right hand side to seventy five south. After Milford wrote accident on the right shoulder, my Rick Shrimp and US Radio seven hundred wd WELW the.
Speaker 1: Forecast from a seven hundred WLW Weather Center for to night clouds the lower forty five then for tomorrow looks like the rain sets in Lake in the day, the high of fifty rain on through Thursday, it is sixty down. Who's radio seven hundred Wlw's.
Speaker 7: It true Tom Brenneman names his pants and his favorite is called Percy? That is not true? Is it true that as a child Tom Brenneman hit under the covers and listen to the radio and he's incredible hulk jammies. Well, that's one of those yes and those sort of things. He's a true Tom Brenneman. Bus these buns to start your day, right, That's true and I'm proud of it. Join me for the latest news traffic from Chuck Ingram, Weather from Jennifer Ketchmark, plenty of laughs and a whole lot more Tom Brenneman tomorrow morning at five am on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: This report is sponsored by the Dwyer Company, the only name to know for waterproofing your.
Speaker 25: Home is your most important asset, So trust the experts from the Dwyer Company, whether it's waterproofing sunk and concrete and foundations they fix it all called five one, three, seven, seven, seven, zero, nine nine eight, or visit the Dwyer Company dot com. The Dwyer Company the name to know news Man. You like Newsmax?
Speaker 18: I like it too.
Speaker 7: You know Newsmax has been terrific.
Speaker 5: President Trump is right, millions like you is.
Speaker 23: Uh.
Speaker 1: He's a legend. Would you call yourself a legend?
Speaker 2: J Man?
Speaker 16: Oh?
Speaker 26: Now, come on, mitsing legends?
Speaker 5: You know those are all on the radio. Wait, we're on the radio.
Speaker 1: We're here legends, buddy. Uh Jerry Joiner the J Man from Uh I amj man dot com. Find out all about him there. It's a great website.
Speaker 2: Uh, J Man.
Speaker 16: How we been man?
Speaker 5: We've been doing good.
Speaker 26: The weather's getting a little cooomer here, and of course football is not very fun in Texas anymore with the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: What about you guys up there?
Speaker 1: Well, things ain't going exactly uh, you know, hunky dory here either the football team is doing great, but the Bengals there they're struggle a little bit.
Speaker 26: I guess that's the reasons red buddy to get high right exactly?
Speaker 2: Good excuse is any right?
Speaker 26: So you got you got till December the second right, you can still get hip products in Ohio till December the second.
Speaker 8: I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what we wanted to talk to you about because and this seems to be we're gonna be talking to a guy from ABC News hearing a little bit about it, because it seems to be a nationwide problem. But that was going on here in Ohio started with our governor talking about some of these products that are coming out that people are putting in packaging. It looks a little bit too much like kids candy. Are you seeing this all all over the place.
Speaker 26: That's all. It's all over the country, And you know these are bad actors that are doing this right, well, first of all, they're endangering our children and adults that might think this is a novel candy, not an intoxicating product.
Speaker 5: They're violating copyright.
Speaker 26: Infringements when they call these things nerds and sour patch and gushers. So I'm in the belief that the cartels are the one that's really pushing this product out there.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to ask you, because I had read about it so called they're called it's being called bootleg. Now I'll be like, I'll give you bootleg a legit product. But do you tell me, so you think that the cartels are behind us and kind of marketing and on the sly.
Speaker 26: They are on the big scale, and of course anytime that happens, it falls down to the smaller players.
Speaker 5: Guys, you can go on eBay and you can.
Speaker 26: Buy packaging that looks just like these packages that are empty and put your own products. So you're a street dealer, right, and you're losing business to the dispensaries. Well, I can go on eBay and buy one hundred of these little boxes and I can put whatever.
Speaker 5: I don't know where he got those gummies.
Speaker 26: He got him from another guy, that got him from another guy that maybe got him from a cartel.
Speaker 5: So this is a this is a real big issue that we have going on.
Speaker 2: Well, uh, you know, a couple of weeks ago, Governor Mike DeWine here in Ohio was there was kind of a funny picture of him holding up in one hand Nerds, a package of Nerds candy and a plastic you know, packaging, and then the other hand a package of Nerd e And you know, basically it was a you know, essentially came down to the change of one letter and So what you're saying, j Man, is that we don't really know who's making even though I can go into ah there's places around Ohio where you can go into a you know, a convenience store, not necessarily a you know, a name brand type of you know, you can't go to Walgreens or CBS, but you can go to that you know, gas station on the corner or something like that. And get that you're saying that we don't know where those are really coming from.
Speaker 26: That's that's my opinion, gentlemen.
Speaker 5: Two things.
Speaker 26: One, the street dealers are selling those, and then unscrupulous retailers, well they've existed forever. You know, you're not supposed to sell cigarettes one at a time. A lot of those stores still do that. They do in Louisiana where I go up, they do some places here in Texas. So those guys need to get their knees cut out from underneath them because they're creating a bad image for the ninety nine percent of the other people that are trying to abide by the regulations, abide by the rules and make sure that they're.
Speaker 5: Giving a safe product.
Speaker 26: But this isn't just an Ohio a Texas. This is across the country with these products that may or may not be they may be nefarious of what's in that box, even if you bought it at a store.
Speaker 1: So j Man, in your opinion, why would they want to do something like that for the just the novelty factor?
Speaker 2: I mean, what do you hope to gain.
Speaker 5: The money aspect of it.
Speaker 26: One of the things about hip versus marijuana is marijuana's it's regulated more and it's taxed more. So for that same buzz you get from that gummy that might have come from your legal adult dispensary might be the same gummy that you're getting for fifty seventy five percent less in cost. And in today's time, you know, everything's going up. So a person's looking for a little relaxation of above, maybe a little pain management, they're going to try to look at what's most cost detectible. The same same thing happens in the pharmaceutical world. They've got generic all types of drugs that we don't know where they come from, and and people are buying and consuming those because when they go to their doctor, the regular pharmacy routes, uh, it costs a.
Speaker 5: Lot more and we don't have as much money in their pocket anymore.
Speaker 18: Not even here in Texas.
Speaker 2: Fact.
Speaker 1: But is this is this the delta eight stuff or whatever that that when I call it fake pot, but you know that lower quality pot.
Speaker 26: Delta eight, Delta nine, Delta ten, those are all derivatives of the th HC cannabinoids.
Speaker 5: Some of those are naturally.
Speaker 26: Occurring and some of those, like Delta eight, it's a synthetic or a chemical process. So Jay Man says, sway from anything that they've adulterated up with chemicals. Uh, that's uh, you know that delta eight is causing a lot of problems.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 26: These dosage amounts too, I'm those nerdy that the governor showed. They said there were four hundred and twenty milligrams that in that.
Speaker 18: Bag that knocked me and Willie out.
Speaker 5: That's too much.
Speaker 18: You don't need to eat that much.
Speaker 2: Is that is that in one gummy?
Speaker 5: Well, it's in that package.
Speaker 26: Let's say there's ten in there, so that means there's forty forty two milligrams of hip drives THC. That because of the Farm Bill, they use some fancy mathematics to make these products work.
Speaker 5: A lot of people may not realize.
Speaker 26: Right now, the FEDS are really looking at at at shutting the hemp thing down. Ram Paul is trying to keep them from doing this, but the opposing people, I'm getting emails daily about help us day man reach out to people because the FEDS are now trying to ban intoxicating hemp, And.
Speaker 1: That's kind of that was also part of what the Governor DeWine was talking about too, with hemp that derived of beverages.
Speaker 26: Yeah, and that's even more confusing guys. Right now up there in your state, in a restaurant or a bar, it can only be a low dose, but you could go to a store and get a higher dose ten milligrams versus a five milligram or less. So that makes the cost very prohibitive for people trying to be in the business because they've got to have two different packaging, two different levels of potency in there.
Speaker 5: Just think about that.
Speaker 26: If you're a whiskey drinker and you want Jack Daniels, well they've got Jack Daniel's light that you get at the bar in the restaurant, but the regular Jack Daniels is.
Speaker 5: At the liquor store.
Speaker 26: It's so confusing up an Ohio. Same thing's happening here in Texas and across the country, and.
Speaker 2: Just for the novice person who doesn't necessarily understake. Is so you hear of THHC, you hear about hemp. So what's the difference between like, you know, you go to your local dispensary and you get some gummies versus I go to the bootleg you know, gas station down the street and get some nerdies. What is there any really difference there.
Speaker 5: Or like what Here's the way I like to explain it.
Speaker 26: This is all this is coming from the cannabis sativa l plant, both marijuana and hemp. That's the fancy Latin word of the genius of the plant.
Speaker 5: Marijuana I like.
Speaker 26: To describe as a big beef steak tomato.
Speaker 5: Shemp is a little tiny cherry tomato. Both of them tomatoes. Both of them got a taste.
Speaker 26: So you got to give a whole lot more of those hemp tomatoes to equal the same amount as that marijuana tomato. Because of the way the THC grows within the plant, so they found a way to extract those minute amount the little cherry tomatoes out and come underneath that point three where it's federally legal under the twenty eighteen Farm Bill, and so that's what really started all this thing off. And then they started synthesizing it, and then they started taking the cannabinoids and making.
Speaker 5: THC A and thc R and THDV.
Speaker 18: That makes you lose what who thought.
Speaker 5: You could do marijuana and lose weight?
Speaker 26: Well that's thcv object to see the result of anybody getting skinny from using any of that. But it's come a long way from the seventies when I started with this, and it was Mexican.
Speaker 5: Dirt weed and that was about it.
Speaker 26: And now you've got thousands of choices of what to do and a lot of disinformation out there, so people have got to be very cautious in doing this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jerry Joiners our guest and Jay Man, how are things going otherwise? How's the media empire gone? How's weed and Whiskey TV?
Speaker 5: Gone? Man? It's going great.
Speaker 26: We relocated our studios over here to the historic Longhorn Ballroom, a seventy five year old music venue here in Dallas, Texas.
Speaker 5: And we got the Old Bridge Boys here tomorrow night. Oh cool, excuse me, Friday night. We got them here Friday night. So we move door offices that right in the middle of the music scene.
Speaker 26: So are weed if whiskey is evolving to a lot more music.
Speaker 2: Now, No, you partake in weed and whiskey at the same time, or is that a no?
Speaker 26: No? Well I will, but I just dabble with that whiskey. You know, my wife, she give me the stink app I have to more than two drinks. He's like, uh huh, but you know she lets me do a little bit more THC.
Speaker 5: I guess because I'm friendlier that way.
Speaker 2: I would think so, I would think. So whiskey will do some damage. Man, Yeah, your your wife sounds like mine. Jay Man.
Speaker 1: She uh I like you said, I got to start on that second whiskey and she's just shaking her head.
Speaker 26: You know, all these products, you gotta be sensible, use using in moderation.
Speaker 5: Make sure you know what your limits, and don't endanger other people. Don't smoke a joint and then drive the car. Don't smoke at why you're driving the car.
Speaker 26: Don't drink while you're doing this stuff. It's it's you know, more and more people than are and Texas are on the roads. You got all these California people move here. Now I'm pretty sure they're getting high when they're driving down the road. So I'd just like to stay home and talk with my friends on the radio.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what though, J Man, that that that's smoking and driving things a big to you. You drive down the highway, I know you've done it or not. You've done it in the car, but you'll be driving down the highway and you'll smell it. I was driving. I got behind somebody the other day on a city street and I'm like, I smell it. And the next thing and I'm literally smoke just billowing out of the driver's side window. I'm like, well, you're not hiding it at all, you know, that's right.
Speaker 26: They never knew anybody could hold that much smoke in their lungs, right.
Speaker 2: We talked about it on the show here too, J Man. As far as.
Speaker 1: The ones that get me or when you're driving down the interstate and you can smell.
Speaker 26: Right, it certainly has a distinct odor, doesn't it mean? And as somebody who used it for half a century I've been using, it ends me often when I come around the corner and I'm not expecting to get a big old whiff of of of marijuana smoke. It's it's it's beginning to get annoying in a lot of cities.
Speaker 5: It's really becoming a problem.
Speaker 2: You know what. I know non smokers who are saying that big time that I feel the same. Uh, you know, and I want to see like you do you do you? And you know I don't. I don't do it, but I have no no qualms about you doing it. But it does gets it's a it's kind of annoying, and it's it's it's become prevalent enough to where it's annoying.
Speaker 26: And with the vaping, now, you know, our young people really need to be cautious about this this vaping.
Speaker 18: Uh.
Speaker 26: They've outlawed vaping here in Texas for nicotine and in which let's go along with the THHC products.
Speaker 23: Uh.
Speaker 26: But uh, there's so many studies showing us now that the vaping of of marijuana or nicotine can really have some adverse health effects.
Speaker 5: Uh as the smoking. I still smoke, I don't smoke nearly as much as I used.
Speaker 26: To because I can get a drink or I can get a gummy and it's a little bit better for my body.
Speaker 1: Sure, all right with that, J man, we will let you go. People want to find out more? Where can they go?
Speaker 18: I Amjman dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you buddy, there it is.
Speaker 5: Thank you all right, guys, any time.
Speaker 1: By our good buddy Jerry, the Jman Joiner. What a guy I'm talking about taking. I mean he was in the advertising business or something back in the day and he's turned it into that. That's pretty cool. I could see that.
Speaker 27: With that, we check in with traffic and weather. What is going on from the UC Health Traffic Center with stroke? Every second counts and so does your team home to rapid life saving treatment and clinical trials. You see Health clear choice for stroke CARO learn more. Yeah, you see Health dot com. Seventy five southbound about a ten minute trip southbound between Ronald Wick and Highway and Norwood Lateral with DeLay's factor Shepherd. We have the again clean up underway continuing Union Center between Mohauser and seventy five shut down because of the work to clear up that clean up that earlier tanker truck fires. Southbound seventy five on and off ramps at Union Center still shut down. Seventy five northbound offramp to westbound Union Center is blocked. Eastbound is open. And on seventy five South Ya to the Brent Spence. It's about a ten minute trip. My Rick Shrumpandew's Radio seven hundred W WELW.
Speaker 1: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW weather center for to night clouds the lower forty five then for tomorrow looks like the rain sets in late in the day, the high of fifty rain on through Thursday. It is sixty down News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: When you're feeling overwhelmed and tired, I'm here. He's smart and funny and genuine. He's one of a kind. When you're concerned about work in your family, I'm here. When I listen to Willie, I feel better about things.
Speaker 6: I'm here to ease your mind, provide honest information and conversation, and to raise your spirits.
Speaker 17: Willy cares about me and my family.
Speaker 5: All you have to do is listen to me. The great am. I want to be a great American, just like Willie.
Speaker 1: Bill Cunningham Tomorrow at twelve noon on seven hundred W l W.
Speaker 2: This report is sponsored by AutoZone. Get in the Zone.
Speaker 9: The free AutoZone Fixed Finder service can help you troubleshoot the likely cause of your pesky check engine light.
Speaker 1: All right, back with Eddie and Jason in for Rocky again today. And we were just talking about this Jace our with our good friend the j Man. And I know Alex Stone from ABC is going to find it hard to believe that the Eddie and Rocky Show has a marijuana expert, but.
Speaker 18: We do.
Speaker 1: And uh, And we talked about this very thing because the governor of Ohio has been battling this very thing we're about to talk to you about.
Speaker 2: And this is nationwide apparently, this problem.
Speaker 28: We were it is. Yeah, it's everywhere right now. And you know, growing up in our time, wasn't like check your candy because some evil neighbor is going to put a needle or a razor blade in there? And did that ever actually go on?
Speaker 13: Though?
Speaker 28: Was there ever a needle or a regul lator? Was that mom and dad just being like, well, yeah, I'm gonna keep this, I'm gonna keep that.
Speaker 1: I don't know, That's what I can never figure that out, because well, when when you'd get an apple at somebody's house, it was like really come across with the snickers.
Speaker 28: Yeah, and they give you a toothbrush and you're like no way, I don't I don't want this, but but yeah, you guys have been talking about it. This is a trend that police nationwide are saying, hey, you know, it could be a mistake that somebody doesn't realize that this stuff gets mixed up in what is going into the bag that's going out to the trigger traders who are coming by. But these knockoff candies and chips that they can be sold at convenience stores and gas stations and elsewhere that they look very real. They look like Dorito's, they look like sour Patch kids, they look like Skittles, they've got the logo on them, but they've they've got a ton of THC or psychedelic mushrooms in them. And police are saying that it's not going to be good if a kid gets their hands on them. In Warren, Michigan, they're saying this.
Speaker 23: We thought to her, so low, if a group of trained investigators looked at this and didn't pay any attention, what should have a chigging to do on Halloween? And we just thought we wanted to get this message out there to parents and children to be vigilant this Halloween season.
Speaker 28: And guys, they did a bus recently they found a ton of this stuff and they said it looked all very very real. The maker of trolley and nerds that they're saying that they're deeply worried about this candy packaging imagery that looks a lot like theirs, and that the items are easy to find, and yeah, you go into a convenience store and many of them do have a little logo on them for THC, but kid may not notice that, and police say, yeah, look for something that's off or slightly the wrong collar, or it just could be the smell of it, and there may be a warning on it that says you know how much THC is in it, And that's going to be obviously the giveaway if there is a warning on it, but that the cops saying.
Speaker 23: Look for unusual symbols on usual orders, anything that may indicate this isn't and.
Speaker 28: It does look really real. Those who've been shown that these packages, they say it takes them a second if they can tell the difference at all. I don't know if they're trying to advertise a younger generation or the cars. In Arkansas, they're a tobacco control board. They're sharing similar warnings right now saying that these are found all over Arkansas. So yeah, it's something that is across the country that the police departments are saying they're worried about. But it does have a lot of THC or psychedelics in there and could be really really dangerous.
Speaker 2: Well, Alex, Yeah, no. And when you say across the country, that's right here in Ohio. Our Governor Mike Dwine came out just a few weeks ago where he's trying to ban all these products because of the packaging. And I'm looking at a story about this where he held up a package of Nerds candy and then a package of what's called Nerdy Bears, which for the THHC candy and other than that, why and nerdy versus Nerds, you can't really tell the difference, And yeah, I mean you've seen all this and you're reporting too, right, I mean you can't. But aren't aren't they supposed to be behind the counter? These THC candies are not?
Speaker 28: Yeah, I mean depending on where it is. But the fact that that has a why in the name, that's more than some of these have. I mean some of them look identical or using the same name. That Yeah, it may say nerds on it and then with a little symbol that says, you know, seven hundred what milligrams or whatever of THHC And otherwise you wouldn't know that. It's pretty incredible that there hasn't been a real effort to crack down on the right and you know some states have been looking at it, but or the candy companies to go after it. That these are not just black market things, that they are sold in real stores and then people can walk in and buy them.
Speaker 1: And we were talking earlier with our with our marijuana guy about this very thing, and it seems was one of the things that we that I had read was that these were bootleg products. But right, I mean, it's not right. These are legit manufacturers.
Speaker 28: One that I love that you do have a marijuana guy, but stubborn Michigan that that was a boot leg and then police found that. But a lot of it was gonna be destined for you know, I think of the corner gas station where there may be some things in there that are not on the on the up and up. This isn't going to be at Walgreens or at CBS, are at Kroger that this is going to be at a type of gas station where maybe you're just running into the Minnesota or you're running into to grab a quick snack and they've got this stuff somewhere in there. But the bigger concern, at least for police right now, is it that it will be black market or will be in a home and somehow get mixed in with the candy that goes out and then a kid will accidentally eat it, and not necessarily that it's someone in a nefarious way trying to overdose a kid, but but it'll get in their bag and then and then they won't know.
Speaker 1: All right with that, Alex, we will let you go, buddy, Thanks so much, Thanks Alex. And uh yeah, well you were you were talking about how much candy you guys give out at tru house. How many would just say numbers of wise with the kids.
Speaker 2: A man, that's hard to that's hard to put a read on. I mean what I think we buy, Like, I mean, in the past, we've been buying like four of the big bags of the assorted can but I I've upped, I've uped at the six this year because the last few years we've run out of candy and there's nothing as I cannot stand running out of stuff. This happened at Thanksgiving once and we had like our bigger, broader family, like the aunts and uncles and cousins and my parents, and I got so ticked. I'm like, just send everyone home with leftovers, you know, if you're gonna buy to but buy but buy too much food, you know, buy too much candies. You can always give it away later or whatever. I can just peace on it for the next couple of months. What did you what did you run out of a Thanksgiving? Pretty much everything? I don't know. This is like ten years ago. I was so ticked because like we were always especially in my grandma like Williams, like massive, big farmhouse cook did it up. And then we decided to host it at our house and like we I'm like, what didn't did everyone not bring a dish here?
Speaker 5: Like what happened?
Speaker 19: Man?
Speaker 2: I remember like being really ticked at my mom. And it wasn't like because I wanted more food. It was like you know, everybody you know, like you want to have enough food for everyone? Sure, yeah, it was weird.
Speaker 26: It was weird.
Speaker 2: That's Thanksgiving. You want to have too much food for everyone, right, And we've always had too much before that, and we've always had too much sense, and you know what, that's okay?
Speaker 26: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I when we would go home to my mom's house, dead would go she either had to work on Thanksgiving or she would go to her parents, and I would go to my mom's in Dayton, and so I would go up there, and I would go and drove my mom nuts because I would go around and fiddle with her settings on the stove, because let's say she's making green beans, Dude, she would boil them to mush mush. I'm like, and their canned green beans does sound.
Speaker 2: Like it's already pretty soft. Correct, they've been soaking in that salt water and correct.
Speaker 1: And she fries a bunch of bacon, throws that in there, and then just boils it until it's just bean soup. And I would walk by and just turn the heat down. And then later on she would come back over, and I'd see her far whether she goes what happened with this? And I see her turn it back up, and then I'd follow right behind her turn back. She called me one time she got all kinds of honked off, but she got a case of the go big time. But but that's you know, well, you know my mom again, like your family, they grow up in and she grew up in down the hills of West Virginia. And that's when you did worry about under cooking food because yeah, and so she would boil the crap out of canned food. She would bake that turkey until it was I mean it didn't burn, but I sucked all the juice out of your mouth.
Speaker 2: It was so dry.
Speaker 5: What was what was?
Speaker 2: What was your your favorite meal that your mom made? And then that'd be thanks to you, I mean just overall.
Speaker 1: She she was a good cook. It was, like I said, southern food.
Speaker 5: What did you like that?
Speaker 1: She made fried pork chomps read to pork chops, fried and lard. She she made fried chicken that would That.
Speaker 2: Was my grandma too, was who was grew up in Cable County, West Virginia. She could fry some chicken and it was all and lard. And it was for many many years we always did Sunday. We always called it dinner, but it was lunchtime at her house. And my grandpa before he passed, you know, we always my dad was on the six kids. And there is when he's still living so well.
Speaker 1: I had one other thing that she made, and hands down the best gravy and biscuits I've ever had in my life.
Speaker 2: My grandma's was it?
Speaker 18: Was it? What it was?
Speaker 19: That?
Speaker 18: Was it?
Speaker 2: White gravy, white gravy? Yeah, bacon, sausage gravy. Yeah, no, this was she made it. Oh, bacon gravy, bacon. My grandma was sausage grabd I've never had the bacon. Oh, yeah, that sounds incredible. It was rich.
Speaker 5: Oh oh, I bet.
Speaker 2: Man makes my mouth water. The first guy bravy.
Speaker 1: The first time I went to bob Evans and had sausage gravy, I was like, what is it?
Speaker 18: What is this? Right?
Speaker 2: It tastes nothing like moms. It's pretty good. It's not as good as my mom's ravy had to be incredible.
Speaker 5: It was great.
Speaker 1: Man. Oh, there was a reason why I was a fat little kid.
Speaker 2: I was a chunker too. I was about as round as it was. Come back to being that, but like then I hit this grosper between eighth and ninth. I was telling my kid this the other day.
Speaker 5: I was like, I was so.
Speaker 2: Skinny in high school. Yeah, that was me exactly. One of those things where like I could eat anything and everything and nothing. I didn't put on any weight. Yeah, I think between my it was those days. It was between my freshmen.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it was freshman and sophomore year that I grew like five inches and lost like thirty pounds or something. Yeah, and uh I was like five six and weighed like ninety five pounds. Yeah, my mom thought there was something wrong with me. Uh, just hit your gros spurt. Well, you know, little Mike. I told my kids that story when they when they were younger. And you've seen pictures of my kids. Yeah, my kids are both six two now, and when they were say in fifth sixth grade, and they're like, yeah, they're going dad, or we are going to be as tall as you. I was like, you're almost as tall as I am right now, you're eleven. Why I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Speaker 2: I assume de side of the family is where the heights come from.
Speaker 1: Not not that tall, but I'm more or less, you know, five eleven six foot, but uh, nothing.
Speaker 2: Like these guys. Like I said, those boys can eat, they can put it because they look like guys. They can eat anything and don't put anything on.
Speaker 1: My oldest son is well, both of them are skinny as real. Yeah, and the young one doesn't eat nearly as much as the old one. But the old guy, uh, that's the old guy, twenty six six.
Speaker 2: He can. He's just one of those guys.
Speaker 1: And he can eat a sandwich and be rady to eat a field a full dinner a half hour later, and then make a dint.
Speaker 2: In another hour. From there, you can go to Taco Bell and Wolf. The way home, you'll stop at Taco Bell and Teme. You ah, those are the days.
Speaker 18: Yes.
Speaker 2: With that, we take in with traffic and weather, what is going on