Speaker 1: Picked out the ways I thought would work best for me. I started by setting a quick date. Then I threw out my ash trays, lighters, and matches. I did other things too, like exercising more, and it worked, but I'd still get cravings, especially on long car rides. To help me with that, I put a picture of my mother in my car. She died of lung cancer from smoking cigarettes when I was only sixteen. Now I have a sixteen year old daughter. That picture of my mother reminds me that I don't want to miss all the things my daughter is going to do in her life, including turning seventeen.
Speaker 2: You can quit for free help call one eight hundred Quit now, a message from the US Department of Health and Human Services and CDC.
Speaker 3: Splash back to the countdowns you grew up with pun Classic American Top forty. I'm Kasey Kaseble one channel with countdowns from the seventies and eighties and another from the nineties and two thousands.
Speaker 4: The smaller than numbers, the bigger they hit all commercial free.
Speaker 3: Relive the stories behind the songs with Classic American Top forty.
Speaker 4: Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the.
Speaker 3: Time search Casey casem and make these your next precession.
Speaker 1: Money.
Speaker 5: Money money now the info you need to achieve your money dreams. This is the Bloomberg money minutes on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 6: This is a Bloomberg money minute. When someone buys a million dollars of shares in a company, the market notices when it's that company's own CEO. The market gets excited, based in part on the idea that if the boss is that confident, investors should be two shares of Nike arising more than four percent today after CEO Elliott Hill disclosed that he has purchased more than sixteen thousand company shares worth roughly a million dollars. The Santa Claus rally, the period of Wall Street gains that usually close out an old year and usher in a new one. Is it really happening this time around? The main indexes are on pace to finish twenty twenty five with four straight losses. Right now, the down Nazak and S and P five hundred each were losing about a third of a percent, Although for the year a different story a twenty twenty five that witnessed a dramatic downworth swing this spring than a recovery this summer and fall is set to close with strong gains for stocks, with the SMP set to lock in a seventeen percent annual advance. Andrew rote Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 7: Hey, good morning, It's eight ten on seven hundred WLW Steve Hawkins and for Tom Burnhaman every week at this time on Thursdays, we get talked to Gary Sullivan And New Year's Day.
Speaker 4: Is no different? Is it? Happy New Year? Did you make it up till midnight or four am?
Speaker 2: Or I made it to Gary's midnight there, which is about ten thirty.
Speaker 4: There you go. I like that.
Speaker 7: Well, we get Gary Sullivan at home on the weekends nine o'clock on Saturday Sunday fifty five.
Speaker 4: Care.
Speaker 7: See, it's it's time to clean up from our New Year's Eve party and make room for all those Christmas.
Speaker 2: Do I have the heaviest job in the world. No, you probably do New Year's Day doing a four hour show, but trying to inspire people to let's clean up on New Year's Day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ain't gonna happen. But I got some good ideas with those. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess the number one thing, Steve is you know we got all the gifts we got all the stuff, and we got shortage of space in our homes. That's a big trend right now. True, not having shortage, but trying to find out where to put all this stuff. And of course the first thing we got to do is start looking up and around and where can I store stuff? Now, some people like to throw things away, some people like to donate things. Some people like to ignore things. I don't know where you fall into that category, but the bottom line is, eventually you kind of start running room if you live in a house long enough. So I don't know, we can we can start in the garage. That's probably a really good place. I don't know about your garage. I can still drive my cars in mine.
Speaker 4: I can too.
Speaker 7: I did the storage above the garage door, so when it comes up the garage is so good.
Speaker 4: I've got storage up there. You're so good.
Speaker 2: One of the first things I put is look up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I say, look up there.
Speaker 2: But yeah, because you know, like bikes, they take up an awful lot of room.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: And putting in those little jay hooks not into the drywall, but into the studs behind the drywall, and hang those bikes upside down. You're like me, and you got a lot of bikes in there, and they're not kids bikes, they're your bikes. You're probably not going to use them all that often. You're gonna use them, but you don't have to trip over them every day of the year. So look up, and there's even racks.
Speaker 4: There's rails.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've seen these, where you can put the rails on the ceiling of the garage. Again away from depends on how your door is set up. In your door open or set up, did you put the rails? And then they got these plastic containers that just slide right into those rails. I like that, which is really nice because a lot of people, as we take down decorations, either outside or inside, one of the places that people store stuff and I'm here to tell you and not the best place.
Speaker 4: In the world to store is in the attic.
Speaker 2: Really yeah. For number one is that attic, even when it's ventilated, gets hotter than it is outside because it's an enclosed area. Even with the vents. If it's ninety degrees outside, that attic well ventilated still might be one hundred and ten hundred and twenty degrees and those wires on those lights and things, they're not designed to do that. And the second thing is, you know anybody it's fallen through their ceiling, Yeah, did that thirty years. Everybody's got a story.
Speaker 1: I will not.
Speaker 2: I have not because I don't store things.
Speaker 4: In the attic. But that happens too.
Speaker 2: People get up there, they get a you know, a little not real focus to what they're doing. They're trying to pick up the box and move this, and they step between the joyce and boom, you know, you're coming through the drywall. So there's a couple of really good reasons not to store stuff in the attic. There you go, And how do you store your paint cans?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm was just gonna say, you've got paint cans on our list here. I've got some in the basement, but some we moved from the garage at the end of summertime.
Speaker 4: What do we do with use paint cans?
Speaker 2: Well, in some cases find out if you even have that color in your house anymore. Because I went through this about a year and a half ago, and I don't know, I think I had something like thirty eight paint cans and I had colors that were long gone, and so I started checking how much paint was in each can. And sometimes if there's you know, three or four inches and it's a latex paint, you can put kitty litter in there, keep the lid open, it'll solidify and you can actually put it in the landfill. But if you got a half a gallon of it, or even a full gallon, I had a couple of those, there's places that take those. Matthew twenty five ministries habitat for many restores. I know, Matthew twenty five, they actually have it and ship it overseas.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's only latex paints. If it's oil based paints, usually your county or city will have you know, drop off for hazardous materials and that's how you get rid of the oil bases. But the latex you can solidify or donate and goes for a good cause.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 7: Wow, we did this also, I like that it's on your list here. Store things under the bed and beds under flat containers, drawers, boxes.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, And that's a great area.
Speaker 2: You know I was talking about looking up you can look down to and underneath the bed. In a lot of cases, that's just a big voided area. I've you know, we have all kinds of plastic containers. A lot of people have. But even if you go and you have an old dresser that's not being used, maybe it's stored on the other side of the basement, you can actually take the drawers out. Think about that really, and then put the clothing in or whatever you're saving, and slide the whole drawer underneath the bed.
Speaker 4: It works beautifully.
Speaker 2: I've even seen people put on little casters on the corners so it rolls in and out. You can turn the under part of your bed into a chest of drawers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you also like incorporating shelving in our homes.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, yeah, you know. The worst thing in doing a basement I was talking about an attic and the worst thing and doing a basement store things in cardboard and even wood shelving that absorbs moisture. Basements are usually damp moisture and organic material can cause mold. Really, metal racking is readily available. I would use the metal racking more than I would use wood shelving, and I certainly wouldn't store things in cardboard.
Speaker 4: It kind of just.
Speaker 2: Draws that moisture and Again, if you get a little more and mildew growth, you kind of start having some unhealthy air in your home. So again looking at the cube, looking up, you can go all the way up to the joist and store some things.
Speaker 4: And that's a good way to do it.
Speaker 2: But first we got to go through the three piles. Remember trash donate.
Speaker 4: Mind there you go. I like this perfect time of year, perfect weather.
Speaker 7: Can't go outside, myst So maybe New Year's resolutions are what to do that.
Speaker 2: It's even warm enough today to get in the garage. Oh huh, you can put your motor bed, run the gas out of that bad boy, clean up the shovels. If you're looking for something to do, and I'm going to guess around four o'clock, wall all be looking for something to do. Absolutely, hey, this on your list.
Speaker 4: Here. Keep your manuals. Tell me about that. Well, you know, whenever you have.
Speaker 2: I just went through a couple of refrigerator repairs and an oven repair, and we have our manuals pretty organized and there's a lot of really good information in there about just trubble shooting, what the problem is now. So I encourage people to keep them. But there's other things you need to know too if you start having a problem with a refrigerator or something. A lot of times there's a QR code on, especially in the newer ones, on the inside part of the door. It'll have the serial number of the model number. And you shoot that QR code and your manuals there. Oh, how cool was that? That's pretty cool? I did know that. That is pretty cool.
Speaker 4: So you know you can keep your manuals.
Speaker 2: I think it's a great resource and something everybody should hang on to. So but look for that QR code. You may have one, and then you're kind of set. To be honest with.
Speaker 7: You, one more thing here, walk around the house that leads at least one time each season tell me, well.
Speaker 2: You gotta have you gotta have your New Year's resolutions, right, Yeah, So walk around that house and see what doesn't look right. I guarantee you you'll find something like a downspout that doesn't line up with the underground drain, or the gutters tilted forward, or there's a crack going up through the bricks it or paints peeling. If it doesn't look right, it isn't right, and start putting a plan together to get it fixed. And speaking of and do that every season. I guarantee you will find something. And if you want to keep on doing resolutions for New Year's how about read the directions absolutely a lot of times on the calls, a lot of times that answers. Right on the label of the paint, How cold can it be when I paint the labeled?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 7: Gary Sullivan at Helm with Gary Sullivan, Saturday Sunday mornings on fifty five. Care see, thanks for talking to us on New Year's Day.
Speaker 2: You're quite welcome, Steve.
Speaker 4: You have a great year, all right, you too.
Speaker 7: All Right, it's coming up now eight nineteen seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: And here's what I think.
Speaker 7: Everything's been cleaned up on all that stuff going on, yes or nothing I can see, all right, So road's pretty clean. The weather looking like this, cloudy, it's going to be cold the next few days. Cloudy tonight, cloudy Tomorrow, cloudy Friday night, cloudy Saturday. Oh look it says mostly cloudy Sunday for the Bengals game today thirty three, Tomorrow thirty seven, Saturday thirty five, but cloudy. It will be near forty for the Bengals game. So that's a bit of good News twenty five now and it feels like sixteen. At news Radio seven hundred WLW, the Bengals Who Day Report is coming up next.
Speaker 4: As a founding partner of iheartwomen's sports network.
Speaker 5: As long as they're rippled, this is the Bloomberg money Minute on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 6: This is a Bloomberg money minute. When someone buys a million dollars of shares in a company, the market notices when it's that company's own CEO. The market gets excited, based in part on the idea that if the boss is that competent, investors should be two shares of Nike arising more than four percent today after CEO Elliott Hill disclosed that he has purchased more than sixteen thousand company shares worth roughly a million dollars. The Santa Claus rally the period of Wall Street gains that usually close out an old year and usher in a new one. Is it really happening this time around? The main indexes are on pace to finish twenty twenty five with four straight losses. Right now, the Dow, NAZAC and S and P five hundred each are losing about a third of a percent, Although for the year. A different story, a twenty twenty five that witnessed a dramatic downworth swing this spring than a recovery this summer. In fall is set to close with strong gains for stocks, with the SMP set to lock in a seventeen percent annual advance. Andrew rote Bloomberg Radio seven hundred.
Speaker 7: WLW, looking back on twenty twenty five, I thought we talked to Mason Lee there, ABC News digital reporter in New York.
Speaker 4: Hey, good morning, how are you. I'm doing wonderful, How are you good? Good?
Speaker 7: A lot of things happened in twenty twenty five. This one's kind of surprising. Trump got rid of all the pennies, so they stopped making them. But do I understand America's smallest coins brought in some big bucks in the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 8: You are absolutely right, So, as you know, kind of one of the biggest developments I guess you know in the financial space for America is that we are leaving the penny behind this year. And so pennies from the final minted run of the coin sold for almost seventeen million dollars at an auction, which is pretty incredible.
Speaker 4: I mean, you said This isn't one penny, this is several.
Speaker 8: So in total, the Mint auctioned off two hundred and thirty two sets of three pennies each, and so the two hundred and thirty two sets is an ode to the two hundred and thirty two years that the penny has been minted in America, been seventeen ninety three. And each set of three pennies that was sold off, each of the lots, which is what they're called by the auctioneer, had a twenty twenty five penny from the Philadelphia Mint, a twenty twenty five penny from the Denver Mint, and then one special limited twenty four care gold penny also made in the Philadelphia Mint.
Speaker 4: Wow. And what was the amount that they received? Did you say?
Speaker 8: So? They received almost seventeen million dollars, which equates to about round seventy two thousand dollars for each of the two hundred and thirty two sets, and the final set, lot two hundred and thirty two sold for eight hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 7: And according to this is Staxbauers Galleries in California.
Speaker 4: Is that who bought them? Exactly? So Stacksbauers galleries.
Speaker 8: They're the auctioneer who sold them off to you know, private people or companies that bought these points, and they're kind of known as the top coin auctioneer sellers in the country.
Speaker 7: Right, we're talking to Mason Leath, ABC News digital reporter. Things that happened in twenty twenty five, Let's get to Uh, it's messy, it's meaningless, and it's everywhere.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 7: The Marion Webster twenty twenty five word of the Year was.
Speaker 4: What so Well.
Speaker 8: According to Merriam Webster, they have crowned their twenty twenty five word of the Year as the word slop. Do you have any idea what slop could mean in the context of twenty twenty five?
Speaker 4: No, slop slop right exactly.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 8: Merriam Webster defines it as quote digital content of low quality that's produced in huge quantities, usually by artificial intelligence end quote. So you can think anything from fake news that looks real, junkie AI written books or Instagram post you know, bizarre suspicious looking ads, pointless work reports floating around on the internet, anything of that nature. It's the stuff that's just everywhere that you love to complain about.
Speaker 4: And it's called slop exactly.
Speaker 8: Slop actually is not a new word as we know. It actually dates back to the year seventeen hundred when it first meant soft mud. In eighteen hundreds, it became to mean food waste and eventually became slang for rubbish, you know, something of little or no value. And now it's involved in twenty twenty five. To me, you know, digital rubbish.
Speaker 7: Yeah, my grandfather used to go out and you'd always say, I'm gonna go out and slop the hogs or the pigs. So that's what I thought about it. I thought about feeding the pigs when I heard this. Hey, Mason Leith, ABC News digital reporter in New York, thanks so much for reviewing twenty twenty five and reminiscent with us.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much for having me in. Cheers to another amazing year.
Speaker 7: Absolutely all right, it's eight forty three. Bill Cunningham is going to join me next. He is going to break down all of his favorite and news stories of twenty twenty five. We will find out with Willie what's going on? Did you see this from Food and Wine dot Com. They've got a new survey that reveals the number one city Americans want to visit just for food, and I'm surprised that this is number one. Philadelphia Cheese Steaks is where people want to go. Twenty seven percent of the respondent's named the cheesy sliced beef sandwich has their ultimate domestic food.
Speaker 4: Are you serious? I get this one New York City.
Speaker 7: They want to go there and get a slice of New York style pizza. And interestingly enough, younger Americans would take a food focus trip more than older Americans Gen zers forty four percent, millennial thirty one percent would take a food vacation. Gen xers twenty one percent, Baby boomers eleven percent never thought about really going for a food vacation. But number three was Kansas City for barbecue, Chicago Deep Dish Pizza for Central Texas style, barbecue style in Texas. There what else was on the list? Gumbo in Louisiana, biscuits and gravy Southeastern US, lobster roll in Maine and California, in and out burger.
Speaker 4: How about that? All right? I agree with some of those, not all of them.
Speaker 7: It's eight forty five now und WLW the nine first Warning Weather Forecast Center.
Speaker 4: Looking like this gonna be cloudy.
Speaker 7: The next few days thirty three today, thirty seven, Tomorrow Saturday, it's gonna be thirty five Sunday, though mostly cloudy. For the last Bengals game, it should be mostly cloudy to sunny. I should say thirty nine degrees and check this out. Predicted high's next week as of right now, Monday fifty two, Tuesday fifty seven, Wednesday fifty four. So it's gonna happen, people. It's gonna get warmer. Right it's still twenty five around the Tri State, feels like sixteen at your severe weather station News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: Willie joins me. Next, I'm going to fix that leaky showerhead. Each year we make New Year's resolutions in hopes of bettering ourselves. I'm gonna listen to the Big One NonStop. Good luck with yours.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna lose one hundred and fifty useless pounds by dumping my loser boyfriend.
Speaker 4: Have a safe and happy New Year. From seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Get ready to get lucky at Miami Ball of Gaming with over twenty two hundred gaming machines.
Speaker 7: We got you, seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati. It is New Year's It is time to remember twenty twenty five, and the only person that could do at any justice is our own Bill Cunningham.
Speaker 4: Happy New Year, Willie.
Speaker 9: Hawk Man. I'm so a little hungover from last night, even though I don't drink, watch a lot of football games and things of that character, and all I'm ready to do is talk talk. All I do is talk hawk Man is not that important?
Speaker 7: There you go, well, I would talk about twenty twenty five. Let's start first. Trump began his second term. Your thoughts on that this past year.
Speaker 9: I often said to your executive producer DuJour Danny boy Gleason that many times, as Americans, we do not deserve to live in the era of Trump. Things are so good, and things are so great, and America is so strong that we don't deserve to be alive in this era. I don't want to overestimate it too much, but can you imagine the road and not take it? What if we were sitting here beginning twenty twenty six in the White House would be Kamala Harris backed up by Tim Walls. So whenever I think, okay, you know, Trump says a few things, I may not like the words that he says at times. But the policies are unbelievable, unbelievable, and I am blessed to be a great American.
Speaker 4: Good somebody else got a second term.
Speaker 7: Closer to home, the mayor of Cincinnati have to have privall your thoughts on that.
Speaker 9: We are cursed. All I can say is this that if we live in a time with a mayor cannot pay his car note, it's no joke. You got to pay your note. When we have a mayor that's having cars repossessed, that's not a good look. Would you agree?
Speaker 4: I would agree?
Speaker 9: And secondly, and secondly, the city manager has found bankruptcy. It is taxling and those two are in charge of the money. So I don't think in the real world either one would function. Somehow the city will putter along. But how are we looking? Not good? Not good?
Speaker 4: Not good.
Speaker 7: We're talking to Bill Cunningham reminiscing about twenty twenty five up sad news last year, Charlie Kirk assassination.
Speaker 4: How did you handle it on your show? And your thoughts on that?
Speaker 9: To me? Serious a little bit, you know, it's hard for me to be serious starting the new year. But they have murdered the messenger. But the message lives. About a week ago Erica had the big get together year end, what was a little before Christmas. There were like eight thousand devotees. And many have said that this thing cannot continue. But I have hope that there's a God in heaven above, and I'm sure there is that Charlie Kirk is in his hands right now. And the Lord said on September the tenth of last year, that welcomed welcome home, my good and royal servant. And Eric, I tell you it was just it was a punch in the gut. And I know the bullets are going one way.
Speaker 10: Trump was shot once and shot about to be assassinated a second time, and looks to me like the bullets are going one way, and I wish the bullets from every angle would simply.
Speaker 4: Stop, Amen, Bill Cunningham.
Speaker 7: Last year we lost Pope Francis, but we got the new American.
Speaker 9: Pope, all hail Leo. And the odds of him being the Pope, we were told was like non non existent because it would give too much power to one country, which is America, which is I think always a good idea. But the idea was that, look, we have the President Trump who's not reticent, shall we say, dominating the world stage. Many call the Trump star the president of the world. And now on top of that you layer an American Pope, which is never even close to happening before. And even though his policies may not be liked by a lot of conservative Catholics, to have an American pope fills me with emotions. I have a hard time expressing well.
Speaker 7: Bill Cunningham's with us remembering what happened in twenty twenty five. Bill, if you would have asked me the last few years, when we were talking on New Year's Day, I would have bet millions that I would never ever say this. But Pete Rose is no longer on Baseball's permanent ineligibility list.
Speaker 9: He had to die to make that happen, and I know that Donald Trump had a lot to do with it. You know, both Pete Rose and Donald Trump are in the World Wrestling Federation Hall of Fame, the WWE Hall of Fame, as Pete Rose in it and Donald Trump. So in a sense, Pete Rose is in the better hall of fame already, the Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame. And one of the best events I've ever seen is when Big John stud Pile drived Pete Rose upside down into the mat, and then he was stunned. And it took Donald Trump to give him mouth to mouth, mouth the mouth in order to get Pete Rose to live again. So will Pete Rose get in the Hall of Fame supposedly in twenty twenty eight the next veteran's ballot. I doubt it. Does he deserve to be in the Hall of Fame? Absolutely? Absolutely absolutely?
Speaker 7: Were you stunned that they took him off the permanent ineligibility list?
Speaker 9: Well, that's a kick in the teeth. You got to be dead to have Baseball to do what's right? Are you kidding me? You got to be dead in order for Baseball and Manford to do what's right. And Pete Rose of course got that done. He called Manfred and said, you got to get this done. And I look forward to the day that Pete will also have his conviction, shall we say, for tax evasion overturned, which that should happen also, But I say, long lived Pete Rose. The Great fourteen, the Great fourteen Pete Rose, Kenny Anderson, and Oscar Robertson, not bad. There's that number again, fourteen.
Speaker 7: Speaking of Pete Rose, of the Cincinnati Reds, Red's making the playoffs this past year, what do you see going forward in twenty twenty six for your beloved Cincinnati red Legs.
Speaker 9: Oh ask you this hawk man. Are the Reds a year better or a year older? I think they're a year better. They get to the playoffs and they get stunned by the Dodgers in three straight, but they got there, and they got there because of sweeping the Cubs at home and then going up to Milwaukee two out of three. So if they play like that, they those seven games the Reds and those seven games went six and one, which is not bad. And so I always am hopeful. I say, keep hope alive. Keep hope alive in twenty twenty six, Uh, Willie?
Speaker 4: One more question about twenty twenty five.
Speaker 7: The Cincinnati Bengals turf toe injury season faltered. Your final thoughts on our beloved Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 9: I think of the toe, I think of the calf. I think of the knee. I think of the wrists from the wrist to the knee to the calf to the toe, from the toe to the calf to the knee to the wrist sounds like a song. If we can keep if we can keep Joey Burrow, shall we say vertical and not horizontal? Is going to be a good year. So I predict write this down, hawk Man, Write it down. Twenty twenty six, Write it down. The Reds win the World Series, oh my, the Bengals win the Super Bowl and Xavier marxistic glory and win their third national title in the nit how about that.
Speaker 7: I've got it on tape and I wrote it down, so I'm not gonna forget any of that.
Speaker 9: Will isllylujah, Hawkman, mellelujah, hallelujah.
Speaker 7: Thanks for joining us on New Year's Day, and it's time for twenty twenty six and Bill Cunningham show another year of stuff we need to hear in this town.
Speaker 9: Bringing on Hawkman, bringing on