Speaker 1: Going on this weekend and we are here at the Market Bar. Correct, Suzanne, that's right.
Speaker 2: This is the market Bar, newly opened bar here at Ovation in Newport, right on the river.
Speaker 3: I mean really neat.
Speaker 1: I can't. It's awesome, guys. Obviously you haven't seen it yet, just opened, but this bar is beautiful. We're joined by Suzanne death Ridge and what Susanne? You you said you've been on your feet basically since about what five o'clock yesterday morning or something.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, it's all worth it. America's River Roots. It's just this incredible festival that's celebrating our rich river heritage, and Ovation being right on the river gets to be a part of it. Many people are right now on our boardwalk right over the river checking out the parade of boats that's taking place now.
Speaker 1: Explain Ovation for people who don't know well.
Speaker 2: Ovation has been a incredible vision from Bill Butler here in northern Kentucky. It's been a vowel over quite a few years, but it's a mixed use development where you can live, work, play and stay and we've got an office building. Saint Elizabeth's Physicians is based out of Megacore Pavilion where Tea Paine will be playing Saturday night this weekend. We're sitting in Market Bar. We've got a homewood suites here with high note rooftop bar, and then we've got the beautiful residential condominiums that overlook our wooden boardwalk right oh yeah, more on the way and the skyline is the backdrop for all of it. It's stunning, y'all.
Speaker 1: Talk about the boardwalk because Ashton, our waiter here, was telling me like, dude, you got to go on check that out.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Well, Ashton's the general manager here at Market Bar, but I'm sure he'll serve you a drink any minute of the day. We got the GM, we got the owners, we got the GM. But the boardwalk is stunning. It's really an ode to another time. It's a wooden boardwalk walk and you can peruse it. There's tables chairs right now. You can grab a bourbon, you can grab a Braxton beer. It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: What the bourbon and candy tasting? Oh yeah, let me tell you that's God. That's got Eddie written all over it.
Speaker 2: Well perfect, it's all here for you. Well, Perfetti van Melt in just an hour or so, we'll have a large airhead's hot air balloon right over by the boardwalk and you can do some airhead sampling and other games and and things there with them. That's one of our big companies right here in northern Kentucky, part of our one in Ky Zone.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, you go ahead, Jason, if you're on the boardwalk air at Ovation, can you then go right down to the right from that down to the river onto the boats?
Speaker 2: Okay, well not onto the boat. So the boats are with nine river boats. You've got to moore of them over in Cincinnati, right there at Yateman's Cove and right down from the Heritage Bank Center. But you can take the riverfront Commons which is right in front of Ovation Walk, then over to the Taylor Southgate Bridge cool walk right across that beautiful river of ours, and you're right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you guys are what's going on here?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: Are there brunches and stuff going on? Get down here early to have.
Speaker 2: A little it all going on down I'm wondering. Well down on the boardwalk. We do have some rotating restaurants, a different appeal each day in terms of which restaurants serving uh. And then we do have a speakeasy bar? Does that appeal to you, Eddie?
Speaker 1: Do you have to knock and.
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Okay, come on, I'd really encourage folks.
Speaker 4: This is this is my first time here, and it is nice writing for The Inquiry for so many years and covering business and hearing about Ovation and that project for so long, and they talked about FC Cincinnati Stadium maybe being here and all the different things.
Speaker 2: I remember those days.
Speaker 4: And it's now, it's now reality, and it's it's it's beautiful, it's awesome. It seems like there's something here really forever. I mean, they're really great, great spaces to hang out.
Speaker 2: Yep. We've got Ovation Plaza right out here that'll be activated with music all weekend. And the rooftop bar. I mean that's a cool feature.
Speaker 4: Cool thing too about the Market Bar where rat's very open. It faces that area and then you can also access the market bar if you're going.
Speaker 3: To or from a concert. Oh absolutely, there's a dog.
Speaker 4: I went out there and made sure, Oh you can come right out the door there, go in riding and be at the market bar.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: And I mean Megacre Pavilion and their concerts. They've got an indoor outdoor. I mean, if you all haven't taken in a concert there, you really need to have.
Speaker 1: I've always heard it's great.
Speaker 2: Well, Eddie, you've got to come back.
Speaker 1: I can see it from my house. Rock and roll, rock and roll DJ.
Speaker 3: It's got to get over there.
Speaker 2: So it took some candy sampling and suburban there.
Speaker 1: That's what you're saying, like hypnotized walking around. Let's go all the events going on here this weekend or there's special things going on I'm assuming on the boardwalk.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they're all over and we've got an Ovation on the River dot com. We've got the daily schedules because there are things happening throughout the development, both on the River and here on Ovation Plaza. So come check it out. I mean market bar. Look, they've got all the garage doors open. You can belly up to the bar from the outside, the inside, from the couch.
Speaker 1: Well, you guys got to love this. There's not a cloud this guy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Mother Nature so early came down with us. Now, don't forget, it was raining during setup day on Tuesday, so we did, you know, pay a little then, but for the customer and for the community members coming to enjoy the festival. They've got the best weather we've ever had.
Speaker 4: I think as cool as ovation is even right now, there's even more coming along. There's another condo building going up now or getting ready to there is.
Speaker 2: So we had two condominium buildings, the Boardwalk Residences, that are complete and everybody's living in there, and then we have a third one that will be completed at the end of the quarter next year, so sometime March April ish people will be starting to hopefully move in there. That's forty percent sold, so there's still some to be had. But get on, come on down. We do have a model that we've got ready, so you can reach out to us and get an appointment scheduled to see that. It's just you have to come up here to see it. You know, this whole facility is built up on top of a two story garage. And why is that, Jason.
Speaker 3: Floodplain, you got it.
Speaker 1: We worked at the.
Speaker 2: Army Corps of Engineers to ensure it was up and so there's no obstructed views.
Speaker 3: That also, yeah, is right.
Speaker 4: That allows you to have the great view of the river and of downtown.
Speaker 1: You look over the Levee Valley, that is right.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful and we're in the midst of working with the City of Newport to redo that park, James Taylor Park right in front of Ovation. So it really is for every member of our community here at Avation.
Speaker 1: With that, Susanna, will you get back to you know, doing everything.
Speaker 3: I don't know about.
Speaker 8: That, but I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: It is a great festival and we have great partners in market bar with our one Ning Ky other partners. So and thanks to seven hundred for crossing the river to come on over and visit.
Speaker 1: Hey, look, like I said, I can see it from here.
Speaker 3: I can.
Speaker 1: I can walk to the nearest liquor store, Big Daddyes, right across the If.
Speaker 2: You can't recognize the changes here, I'll tell you where Big Daddy's is.
Speaker 1: Get you contact. Everybody from this area just goes, oh, it's right there.
Speaker 2: Hell, I don't know what's right right right on the river.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thanks so much. All right with that, we check in with traffic and weather. What is going on?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Back on the Eddy of Rocky Show rock out today. Jason Williams is it from the Inquirer Cincinnati dot Com. Great to be here, So Jays, look you fill in on a day when Rocky's out of town doing football and we're sitting in the beautiful bar on the river with the riverboat thing going on. Dude, life is not bad for you.
Speaker 3: No, it's not.
Speaker 1: You're not filling in on Christmas morning or something.
Speaker 4: Just had a delightful while I was in the Inquired newsroom for a while.
Speaker 3: Talking to some of my coworkers there. Then I just zipped right over here. It's it's been a great day.
Speaker 1: We're at the ovation on the river in the market bar, and these folks couldn't be better, and at this bar couldn't be nicer.
Speaker 3: This is literally you can walk come out here and check it out.
Speaker 1: It looks like about I don't know, fifty yards and you're looking straight at the river. Yep, So come on down. It's America's Roots Festival. That's the reason we're here, of course. I mean you'll see all these beautiful boats. But Jason, let me ask you, Yes, you cover the sports columnists for the Inquirer, and I have to say, hats off man to Jake Browning. Yesterday when people were questioning him about what was going on, he was like, it sucks. Now you got a handed to the guy.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, I agree, it's funny you say that. I was just drafting some stuff, uh for a column, and I pulled pulled some of his quotes on that and I watched some.
Speaker 3: Of the video of him in in the UH with interviews with the reporters.
Speaker 4: That's a guy who's not just He's certainly first and foremost, he's upset with himself.
Speaker 3: He's holding my self accountable.
Speaker 4: Well, he's not happy at others. He's not happy about this Flacco signing. I think he and this was his This was his quote, Eddie, if you if I could read this quote. The communication to me for some of the games was we need to do some more to help you out. And then I had a really bad two and a half quarters against the Lions and took some bad and we took some bad losses trying to provide a spark, and so we decided to go in.
Speaker 3: A different direction.
Speaker 4: That's a guy who uh, not just is not just mada himself first and foremost. But I think is like, oh, you threw me out there behind this offensive line, and this is what you expect. Now you're putting a statue back there now and now you're and again you're you're reading between the lines. So this is analysis on this. But right, you gotta think that Jake Browning's thinking you just brought a guy who can't scramble. I'm at least a guy who can scramb. Right, But yeah, we'll see. I mean, and here's the thing. Uh, they're rolling. They're rolling with Flacco. They brought Flacco here, so if Flacco produces the same results as Jake Browning, they're not going back to Jake Browning. Correct, Joe Flacco is the guy until the guy Joe comes back, whenever that is.
Speaker 1: And uh, I'm I'm kind of fed up with people who are saying, you know, now it looks like he might be back the first week of Deceummer. Do you really want him to come back if it's like, you know, if they're like four and eight, I mean, I only think, mist God, what's the point.
Speaker 4: I only think he's coming back if he's coming back at all this season, He's only going to come back if they're in the playoff hunt. Sure, I think I think if they're four and whatever, two and whatever, you don't, uh, and Joe's like, I'm good to go.
Speaker 3: I do not see I think I think they. I see them saying.
Speaker 4: That, Joe, let's just go ahead and get through this season and then we'll have you fully healthy going into the offseason stuff and training camp next year.
Speaker 1: Well, you got to see when Paris Fashion Week is so he can get back over there.
Speaker 3: Hit me with a curveball, walk.
Speaker 1: The catwalk there, and lot and uh and Perrie. But I'm curious to see how Flacco does here because look at how when was that three years ago in Cleveland when he took them to the playoffs twenty three?
Speaker 3: Two years ago?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, two. So you know they're hoping for the same magic. Having watched him play a couple of games in Cleveland, I don't think he's still he doesn't have it, let's face it. I mean, he's a forty almost forty one year old guy. And I say forty one like it's old. But apparently in the NFL that is considered old. But you know, you can't move, you can't move. Yeah, it was funny.
Speaker 3: I saw him.
Speaker 1: I was watching the Uh, I forget what game it was a couple of weeks ago who the Browns played, and he scrambled for something. Look, he ran like he looked like me running down the field. Dude, he was walking, he was running straight up and he's a big guy anyway, and it was like, oh man, you're getting You're gonna get slaughtered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a guy who needs to be at this point in his career.
Speaker 4: You can still throw it, he can still chuck again, but he's got to be protected because he's not scrambling and moving around a lot. And he's really never been that guy who can move around. He can really not move around now versus when he was in Baltimore all those years.
Speaker 1: But the arm is still there.
Speaker 4: The arm is still there, and so I think the thought process there with them is that all right?
Speaker 3: So he's kind of a he's an.
Speaker 4: Older an older version of Joe Burrow in that saying now Joe can run.
Speaker 1: He's a really older version.
Speaker 3: But Joe is a pocket passer.
Speaker 4: Joe is a pass first, stagy and chuck the ball all over the place. So Joe Flacco is more in the mold of Joe Burrow than Jake Browning is.
Speaker 1: Well Jake Browning again, well, we're talking about those years ago when he held him in the playoff hunt. That was Super Bowl year and and now apparently he's lost his curve ball. I don't Maybe maybe he has, maybe he has it, but so far what he proved on the field was he didn't have it. But again, you don't have an offensive line, so who knows.
Speaker 4: Right well, I mean, both of these guys, Joe Burrow or sorry, Joe Flacco and Jake Browning both had really good twenty twenty three seasons. You're like, that's not that long ago, right, But the league is constantly evolving. They are constantly adjusting, and so what you did yesterday, even last Sunday, doesn't guarantee you're gonna keep going doing that this coming Sunday, let alone two years ago.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we're here live at the market bar at Ovation on the river. You gotta come by see us. We're gonna be here until six. Beautiful place. I mean, like I said, you can walk right across this beautiful plaza they have here and look straight down on the river and see all the riverboats and whatnot and see all the stuff that's going on. And then you can walk down, just walk steps down and see all this stuff that's going on right along the river front. It is the Eddie and Rocky Show with Jason Williams. But now the news News Radio seven hundred w l W Choir Cincinnati dot Com with us. It is the Eddie and Rocky takeover. Here at the market Bar at Ovation on the river. Do stop buying, say hi, I mean it's beautiful man. A short walk I mean, and you're looking right down on the river where all the riverboats are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, come out to the market bar. It's in the homewoods uh home with sweets. You can just you can get it, get it, get a drink here and you walk right down the pedestrian area and right down to the river. There's a pedestrian walk right off of this. It'll take you right over to the to the river front and easy and there's all kinds of fun stuff going over there.
Speaker 1: Well, let's see if people can afford it. Uh And by that I mean it's it's very inexpensive. But are we going to have any money? Let's talk to our financial expert, Steve Cotton. We love talking to this fellow right now, President of Cottonwealth Management Associates. So, Steve, there's a lot going on. We have the shutdown going on, we have the tear I's going on. All the ins and outs that none of us understand are going on. How are we looking.
Speaker 6: Good afternoon, Eddie. How are all my friends in Cincinnati doing.
Speaker 1: We're doing great. You tell us how are we doing okay or not?
Speaker 6: Yes, We're going to be fine. I think the shutdown, you know, potentially effects about seven hundred and fifty thousand government employees, and I'm more concerned in the short run about the impact on their families. And they're you know, those employees that are day to day, paycheck to paycheck workers. They're good people and they're being jacked around in this political process in Washington, and it's unfair and it's counterproductive. It doesn't help anybody. And I hope that that the Senate Republicans and Democrats can come to an agreement. But right now this is driven more by politics than anything else. Now, the good news is, I do think this will be a show lived shut down. It's we're in day nine. They're playing chicken. Chuck Schumer is very nervous about his New York primary and the potential challenge from his left flank, So that's why this is happening. But I think in the short run, we're not going to have a major economic problem from it. But if it goes on another two weeks, I think there will be a negative complications.
Speaker 4: Right well, Stee, what mentioning that, you know, you're seven hundred and fifty thousand government workers. It affects beyond that though, you know, how does that then impact that this does go on and on and becomes a negative that goes beyond just those employees. That affects everyday people, right, and.
Speaker 6: Oh, you're exactly you're exactly right. Let me give you an example. The Small Business Administration processes a small business loan own requests all the time, every day, and right now that process we have, we could see a two billion dollar a month negative impact of small business loans that are not being processed and approved. We can see an impact of warkcraft. Air traffic controllers are already you know, calling in sick now. They're they're an essential service and they have to work even if they don't get paid. Everybody that's not being paid right now will eventually get their paychecks made whole. But uh, it's disruptive at the very least, and it does have a ripple effect. People delay their their Christmas planning companies reduce the amount of inventory they're planning, Manufacturing orders starts to slow. There's all kinds of implications of this because you're disrupting people's and companies ability to plan, and that is usually as an negative impact.
Speaker 1: We're talking to Steve Cotton, or a financial expert, and as Steve, what about everybody? One of the things that in the financials that everybody's always talking about is the FED and rate cuts and all that stuff. How do you see this kind of playing out here? Is it going to put more pressure on them? Is going to cause them to just kind of kick back and go, Okay, We've got to wait and see what happens. What's going on there?
Speaker 6: Well, one of the things that impacts the FED immediately is that the statistical reporting that the FED relies on to make help make these decisions is not going to be there. And now I think the FED has plenty of evidence. Last month we had a thirty two thousand reduction in payroll when they were hoping for a forty five percent plus up. We're seeing some slowing in different industries. We've known the economy is slowing a little bit for some time. You know that's not going to be new information to the FED, and I think they still can make decisions, and I am still expecting a twenty five basis point cut that's like twenty five not quite one percent, but zero point twenty five percent of cut downward in the federal funds rate at their next meeting. They can do it without a large amount of new data, and I hope they will because interest rates have been way too high for way too long. It's not justified by where the economy is. Inflation is way down, and I hope that they will do that to the benefit of everybody, including service on the federal death.
Speaker 4: Well, Steve, you alluded to it there, right, could we typically get a job's report but the first Friday of the month, and we haven't gotten that job's report yet, right, so we are, well, that's right, kind of in the dark on what the impact on the economy right now.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't think it's wise to make, you know, major interest rate decisions on the basis of of you know, a thirty day sets of statistics, and there's always some question about the reporting of the statistics. Some of the reports are more reliable than others, and that needs to be looked at. But I think everybody knows that the economy is fundamentally still sound, still working. Well. There are soft spots here and there. The housing industry is not fully recovered from COVID yet. There are a lot of people out there, prospective buyers that are waiting for long term interest rates to come down some more. And the FED doesn't control that, but it does impact it. And so there's a lot of companies and a lot of buyers and home prospective homeowners that are that are kind of sitting on the sidelines now waiting to see what happens. The first thing that needs to happen is the Senate needs to resolve this and get the government working again because the public does not want to shut down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're talking to Steve Carton Cotton or financial guy, and Steve, another thing I saw I wanted to ask you about one last question here is you know, I'm I got four to one K and all that stuff, and obviously it's invested in the stock market and all that stuff, But what about the price of gold, I mean, precious metals, gold and silver are through the roof. Did I miss a boat on that? What's going on there?
Speaker 6: Well, typically you'll see spikes in the price of gold in times of international stress, military action, things like that, high inflation. Gold is a good heads for inflation. Right now, the gold is over thirty five dollars an ounce, and I think can still climb some more. If you don't have gold in your portfolio, you may have you know, an ETF gold or there are other all you can own gold mining company stocks, things like that. But gold is it should be a part of people's portfolio, but only in a relatively small proportion, because typically people want to buy gold when it's high, and they buy it and then the price falls because things get back to normal and they lose money. Gold has actually appreciated well over the last decade. I think there's still is some upside, but if you have a well diversified portfolio, as you should have, you're going to be fine regardless of this. The market's down significantly today. But today what's going on I think largely is profit taking. The markets have been up. People are taking their profits, they're selling, they're harvesting those gains, banking those gains. But the smart money is going to stay in this market because I think there's a lot more upside yet than downside.
Speaker 1: So in other words, what I was going to do is all this gold I harvested for my grandparents and my parents and their teeth, their necklaces and whatnot, I should sell.
Speaker 6: Now, No, thank God, hold on to it a while longer.
Speaker 1: All right, cool, Well, I'm just trying to but just trying to make an honest living here, Steve.
Speaker 6: You know, but invest in good company stocks and bonds, and be very diversified in both of those areas, and you'll do just fine. We'll. You know, a lot of the economic inision is that President Trump has put in place, the mega trade deals, the sinning of the government, the reauthorization of the twenty seventeen Trump tax cuts, all of that is absolutely huge, including an unprecedentedly high defense budget. All of those things are going to send ripples, positive ripples throughout the economy. And I think we're seeing we're sending the stage for another long, protracted growth period in the US economy. And I think we're going to be the end view of the world in another twelve months.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, Steve Cotton, I certainly hope so, thanks so much. Be want to find out more about you. Where can they go?
Speaker 6: Well? I have a website Cotton cottn WMA stands for Wealth Management Associates COTTONWMA dot com. We have clients all over the country. I even have clients in Egypt and Italy. So we just was helping people. We're good family stewards and we take a financial planning approach to everything and we partner with anybody.
Speaker 3: That needs help.
Speaker 1: All right, Buddy, thanks so much.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Thanks Steve, take care Steve Cotton And with that, we are live at Ovation on the River, me and Jason Williams. Those boats, I can hear him. Can you hear the horns?
Speaker 7: We do?
Speaker 1: I just heard it there a little bit or their horns. What do they call it? The smoke snaks?
Speaker 3: They wasn't with that.
Speaker 1: We check in with trafficking, weather, what's going on. We're in the studio set up in the Market Bar at Ovation on the River. I'm with Jason Williams for Wacky Today and Buddy, a great place here and I tell you, I can't imagine a better place to watch all the parkings easy, the walk is easy out to see where all the boats are and stuff. Boom.
Speaker 4: Love the team here at Market Bar. They're taking care of us. Well, take care of me anyway. I don't know about you.
Speaker 1: As soon as we said that, what can we get you? I'm pretty good with that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I don't get that at home, you know.
Speaker 3: I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you don't get that right, walk in and I expect dev to go what kind of get you? You just get the hell out of here?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Like, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: But buddy, let's let's talk about because coming up are gotta the beat reporter for the Packers.
Speaker 3: From Milwaukee, General Sittel.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and this guy's a you know, he's big on a long time. He's been covering the Packers from what like thirty years or something.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you knew him or not, but.
Speaker 3: I don't know him.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know the same same parent company, the inquirers of the Milwaukee paper as well.
Speaker 3: So yep.
Speaker 1: But you you wrote the other day in your column about the Bengals finally stepping up and doing something right more or less is what you said?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I mean they get in black.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, could you have done something better? Obviously? But he's there and he beat the Packers like two or three weeks ago he did.
Speaker 3: I mean, technically it's on his record.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was a thirteen to ten game. And we'll ask Tom about this. Yeah, Joe Flacca wasn't exactly Uh, he wasn't the start of the constant for four hundred yards in that game, and the Packers gave up ten They were up ten to nothing in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 3: So uh.
Speaker 4: But you know, nonetheless, here's the biggest thing, and I think you know this, maybe you could put this on the list of reasons why the Bengals made this move, is that you know, not only is Joe Flacco who Joe Flacco is, but the fact that he did beat the Green Bay and is this team desperately needs a win right now, right So the fact that he walks in with the advantage of already knowing the Packers personnel and having you know, game plan for those guys. I think that that that certainly is part of part of And again, is it was it top five on the list of why they brought Joe Flacco here? No, but it's somewhere on that list. And the fact that he's also played against Baltimore and the Bengals still have to play Baltimore twice, you know, this year. So well, I think I think there's some advantages potentially in that I don't want to overstate that, but the fact that he knows those two teams, he's game plan for him for a team right now that needs a win desperately, that I think that's a much bigger deal than maybe it otherwise would be.
Speaker 1: Well, what's funny is that they have ESPN on the multiple screens they have here at the market bar, and they I just saw they had a thing they were doing about the Packers and it was Packer, is this a must win game for the Packers? You know, so they're looking at this kind of the same kind of situation there.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, well I asked Tom about this, but he wrote a column yesterday in which basically, you're like, now, that's a champion this he's basically saying they're underachieving right now at two to one and one, they don't have an identity on the offense, and you have them tie it with Dallas. But the headline of his piece is this Green Bay Packer season is in need of some championship coaching, and it goes on to talk about you know how right now, they don't have an identity on offense. They have the talent on offense and on defense, they return most of their offensive guys. They obviously went out and got Micah Parsons in a trade, but they haven't put it all together yet, and so they're coming out of their bye week, and you know this piece by Tom is basically saying this is the week they really need to start showing putting it together. That's a high standard there, because that's I think we all here in Cincinnati, certainly are really outside the outside world of the NFL would look at them and say, that's a championship contender.
Speaker 1: Damn fine tea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I watched some of their game against Dallas and it's like, oh man, t tie, Like why wow?
Speaker 1: How well? We're gonna be talking to Tom Silverstein from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. But that's after the news. Right now, News Radio seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 9: Do you win one thousand dollars enter this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 5: Win.
Speaker 3: That's win. Enter it now.
Speaker 1: Right back on the Eddie and Rocky, where have the River roots radio takeover? You're a dovation on the river. Lots of ours but uh, but Rocky's not here. How do this?
Speaker 3: Our is not here right? We need Rocky for the River Roots Radio.
Speaker 1: Jason Williams is with me from the Inquire at Cincinnati dot com, and I'll tell you we're loving it here at the Market Bar at Ovation on the River. You got to check out this new common if you haven't been here, and I'm sure you have it because it's actually brand new, but come to check it all out. Lots of cool stuff going on right on the River. But right now, Jason, let's talk Bengals football.
Speaker 3: Yeah, excited about it.
Speaker 1: In this case, Packers football.
Speaker 4: Yeah, excited about our Next guest he's with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Been covering the Packers, the great historic Green Bay Packers for more than thirty years and knows that organization inside and out. Tom Silberstein from Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Hey, Tom, Hey, how are you doing good?
Speaker 3: Glad you glad you joined us. I loved your piece your column yesterday.
Speaker 4: I get posted yesterday, you know about talking about the Packers season in need of some championship coaching, and you didn't. You didn't mince words there. This is a team that's two to one and one coming out of a bye. They've got the talent on offense, they've got the talent on defense, and even more talent now with Micah Parsons. But something, something's something's missing a little bit, right Tom, with that Packers.
Speaker 7: Team, Yeah, yeah, definitely. I mean, you know, they're putting up all the normal numbers they should be putting up offensively and defensively, but you know they are kind of a mess on special teams with two black kicks that really were the difference in them going winning against Cleveland and lose and time in Dallas. But then you know, then there's coaching decisions there. It's really a really bad coaching decision in Cleveland that you know, sort of led to Jordan Love throwing an interception when they could have just run the ball and then kicked the ball punted and then you know, not really have to worry about losing the Cleveland and in Dallas at the end of both halfs there was some terrible game management. So yeah, it's just you know, if you're gonna if you're gonna championship team, or you're going to add a piece that makes you a championship team, then you've got to play like it and coach like it, and it just hasn't been the way.
Speaker 1: We're talking to Tom Silverstein from the Milwaukee Journals a Sentinel, and Tom, you got to think, and I think that we all as football fans thought when Michael Parsons came to town for Green Bays, like, uh oh, these guys are going to be kind of unbeatable, and well, what's the reaction from the fan base so far?
Speaker 7: Well, they have been dominant defensively since he joined. It's been very hard for quarterbacks to succeed. And Joe Flackel will be able to attest to that because he's already faced it. But Dallas knew how to handle him like they They completely changed their game and they went to a lot of quick passing. They doubled him in every single way they could, and he still had like six pressures and a sack, but the rest of the defense just could not slow them down. They had a great game plan and Deck Prescott played really well. It was definitely that back. But it doesn't change that they have, you know, one of the best pass rushes in the league now with Parsons and Sean Gary and Gavante Wyatt when he's healthy.
Speaker 4: Tom, you mentioned, you know, Micah Parsons an impact he made. And you know, the Packers coming out of this bye week, you know, now they faced Joe Flacco again. Joe Flacco wasn't great in that game against Cleveland or the Packers Cleveland game a few weeks ago. Nonetheless, though you know the Browns, well, the Packers probably more really more so found a way to lose, and the Browns did to win. But what's what are your thoughts on them playing Joe Flacco again? And does that do you think that helps the Bengals at all? Or does it or even maybe on the other side, give the Packers a little little more advantage that they've already faced this guy.
Speaker 7: I don't I don't think it changes anything for Green Bay. I think it does for Cincinnati, and I think it you know, I think Flacco has a very good idea of how they'll pressure him. They're going to probably come up with some different pressures. You know, it's after the bye week. Most teams do come up with different things. But he's seen it all and so I don't think there's any any real issue with him, you know, from that regard, even even running a new offense, I think he'll be fine. He'll know where Parsons is at all times. He'll know what kind of stunts and blitzes and things. The question is really just going to be ken. The Bengals block for him, and you know, we know Flacco's got throws a great deep ball and I'm anticipating him chucking it up there to Jamar Chase and T Higgins as often as he can. It's just whether he can get it off well well.
Speaker 1: And Tom, we're talking to Tom Silverstein, Uh, the Packers beat reporter, And Tom, I was going to ask you about that about plead ignorance, talking about these receivers and we all know those guys and how good they are in black opening able to throw the deep ball. Talk about the Packer secondary a little bit.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so you know, they don't have a shutdown corner like they had Jay r Alexander and when he was healthy, he was a shutdown corner. Kishawn Nixon has kind of been their top corner. I mean that kind of he is their top corner and he's done. He's done a pretty solid job. He's grown every year. You know, he really just started as a special teams guy and a and a kick returning. He's an All Pro kick returner, and he's transitioned really well to an outside corner, and he's he's got the kind of speed that I mean, he's not as fast as Jamar Chase, but you know, if he playing ten yards out the line of scrimmage, he can be okay. But the other guys, you know, Nate Hobbs is a guy who plays physically. He wants to jam everybody at the line of scrimmage. He wants to He's going to try to strip the ball out if you if you catch it, he's going to be physical with you, but he.
Speaker 5: Can be run by.
Speaker 7: And their other corner, Carrington Valentine just did not play well against the Cowboys. George Pickens just kind of destroyed him. So there is real opportunity for the Bengals receivers. It all depends on, you know, if the Packers can get a four man rush, then they'll sit back, you know, in the zone, and you know, they'll just make it really hard to throw the ball to you.
Speaker 4: Tom and I would encourage our listeners to go listen or go read Tom's piece or and all this stuff on js online dot com. With the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. I'm in your piece that I was referencing earlier. You said now that the Packers you don't really have an offensive identity yet, and I think their identity going in was that they'd be a balanced team certainly, but that you know, they've got one of the elite running backs in the NFL and Josh Jacobs. Do you see this as a game where they're really going to try to get him going? You know, this is a Bengals team that has struggled against the run, you know, certainly in the preseason, and the jury's really still out on whether their defense can really stop anyone. Is the game plan for the Packers to get Josh Jacobs going first and foremost, and then if he can't go, you know, put in the air.
Speaker 6: That's a game plan every week.
Speaker 7: You know, everything they do sort of goes off of play actions. That's what they want to do. They want to establish the run, and then they want to be able to throw off that. Now teams have been loading the box against them, they'll bring bring safeties down, you know fifty maybe fifty percent of the time, forty percent of the time, and yeah, they'll sort of dare Jordan loved to beat them. But part of the issue has been that they've been without two of their starting offensive linemen and that's really affected them. And then their their third their second round pick this year, Anthony Belton, has also been injured, so they kind of had a makeshift line and that line is not as physical as the group when they have all their starters in and so they've had a hard time.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: They they think they should be able to run against, you know, a stack box, but they haven't been able to and Jacobs has just getting stopped at the line of scrimmage. They will they showed in the Dallas game that they're willing to try other ways to get him the ball, and so they started swinging the ball out to him in the flats, throwing some screens. But I would suspect they will try to run the ball, you know, first five times they touch touch the ball, I bet you trying to run it.
Speaker 4: This is my last question. I don't know the comment, Tom, is it? You know, kudos to you for being this in this business for so long. I've broke in the in the newspaper business. In the late nineties ninety eight, I remember you were covering the packers then obviously been doing it for thirty years. What what I wouldn't credit me doing this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's gonna say. I wouldn't credit me as much as question my my smility.
Speaker 6: That's because because I'm not sure why.
Speaker 1: Talking talking to somebody's about me who's been in the radio business for a long time. It's kind of questioning sanity at this stage of the game.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And it's funny because I was just thinking about it. I was thinking about all the driving I do. You know, I live in thee and I come up to Green Bay. It's almost a two hour drive. I don't do I don't do it daily but twice a week. And you know, I've been doing that for thirty seven years. And yeah, I was starting to to really put that in perspective today as I was driving in Man. So I'm sort of like, you know, I'll sort of be like Tom Brady at the end of every year, I'll just I'll sit down and think about whether I'm going to come back for another year. But you know, I still enjoy it. I really really like analyzing football. That's that's what keeps me going. And you know it's fun. Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 4: Well, and you guys do I mean, the Journal Sentinels coverage of the Packers is is second to none. And you guys have I know you you as we have at the Inquiry. You've been through tough times and you know you continue to grind away and do the do the work for your readers.
Speaker 3: And I got a lot of respect.
Speaker 6: For right exactly. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: All Right, with that, Tom, we will let you go, buddy, Thanks so much.
Speaker 6: All right, you guys take care.
Speaker 3: Thanks Tom, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Tom Silverstein from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, good guy. I mean, like you said, thirty seven years covering the football team. Good god.
Speaker 3: I remember.
Speaker 4: I remember hearing Tom Silvers because I you know, earlier in my career, you know, you're always looking around, like where can I work, and you're looking at all these different papers and the Packers coverage at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Milwaukee, it was always one of those kind of right, you know, places that you know, they're just a highly respected newspaper and and a lot of it has to do with their Packers coverage.
Speaker 1: So see, I didn't know that Green Bay was that far from Milwaukee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know why.
Speaker 1: In my brain I thought that Green Bay was like like a suburb, something like Middletown to Cincinnati or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not Dayton to Cincinnati or Middletown. I did not go a whole other place.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: With that, we check in with traffic and weather. What is going on? Roots Radio? Takeover? Man, we can't storming in here. Jason Williams is with me instead of Rocky today. He'll be back on Monday. Or actually he's back tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Rocks back tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you and I came in here to ovation on the river at the Market Bar. Very cool man, very cool.
Speaker 3: And and why are we here?
Speaker 4: Because we're here for the America's River Roots event, which has taking place just right down the street here, well, not even down the street, right down the pedestrian walkway on the Newport riverfront and on the Cincinnati Riverfront. This is a great place to be. I would say, pre game for it here, then walk down, Well.
Speaker 1: All game for it. You can walk out there, see it all. They have the boardwalk out there, a bunch of different bars and restaurants back here at the Market Bar. You can kind of hang out. Make this like your point, make your you know, meet point, But dude, this is fun.
Speaker 4: And speaking of river roots and what the heck is that and our history with the river, and we thought we got to get a guy who knows all about the history of the river and really the history of Cincinnati and all things Cincinnati. And that's my colleague at the Inquire Cincinnati dot com. He is the local history writer for The Inquire at sin Sea dot com. Jeff Cease, Jeffrey, how are you, oh, doing great?
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for being here with us.
Speaker 1: So, Jeff, you know, break it down for us a little bit. When I first came to town, I was like, why are these people so enraptured about the whole river culture and stuff? But come to find out, as obviously living here for as long as I have, Cincinnati pretty much wouldn't be here if it weren't for all this stuff that developed around here.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 10: I mean, you know, rivers are where you put where city is developed. And Cincinnati developed right right before steamboats came about. And steamboats were a game changer because before you had steamboats, you know, you had to take like flatboats and things, and you could take them down river, but you couldn't really go up river and steamboats had the ability to go up and down, which meant transportation and transporting goods and stuff. And Cincinnati was blowing up right at the right time and really took advantage of that development. And so we were right on the forefront of shipbuilding. We were right there transporting goods and things from you know, the Ohio rivers, the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico. It was just that we were the developing at the right time.
Speaker 4: And Jeff, you had a really nice piece laying all this stuff out in the history of our you know, the river and why we celebrate our river history as well, and in a piece and inquires and say dot com over the weekend America's America's river roots will transport Ohio River to riverboat glory days.
Speaker 3: And why it's symbolic.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: And in your piece you referenced, you know, we've we've often celebrated this history, right we You know you think about tall stacks. Now this isn't tall stacks. It's similar to that, as in we have all the the steamboats are here. But talk about the significance of us just even our history of celebrating our our river history.
Speaker 10: Well, yeah, We really did this back with the Bygentennial in nineteen eighty eight, and we're celebrating the river was really a part of what we celebrate about Cincinnati, and we've got a lot more activity on the river. You know, the banks has finally developed, and you know, we're actually going back down there. For a long long time, the river was just warehouses and stuff, and so that return to the river, but it's more of a celebration. We don't have to go down there to get on a riverboat, you know, to travel around and things like that, and so you know, it kind of harkens to Cincinnati's big heyday when it was the sixth largest city in the US and the eighteen fifties, sixties, and so, you know, the it's a reminder of you know, the the heyday of the Queen City, and you know, so they have nostalgia. You know, we also had some older folks remember the Island Queen and taking it to Coney Island, and you know, we've always had that kind of love affair with the river and the steamboats and this is a nice, you know, reminder and for younger people, you know, who don't experience that before, we can kind of introduced him and say, you know, this is how big of a deal the river really was the development of Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: So, Jeff, what do you suppose that people really started to pay attention to Cincinnati. I mean, you know Mark Twain wrote about this town and stuff. Was there a time more or less when people are like, oh, there was a lot going on there. I mean I would think that the river being you know, feeding in here and all that stuff coming from Kentucky and on all that stuff.
Speaker 10: You tell me, yeah, really, Cincinnati was pretty a major deal right away because it was the first city really being established after the Revolution, and it was the first on the west. You know, we don't think of Cincinnati as the West anymore, but it was the early West that after the Revolutionary War, and there was more expansion, so it was fastly growing and within you know, every decade they were doubling population. And then you think about how much you know, companies like Procter and Gamble, how many presidents have comes from Cincinnati. You know, we were really moving a lot of culture, a lot of politics, a lot of business manufacturing and stuff coming in through. It's just over time, as the country expanded westwards, you in Chicago and stuff like that. They have grown up to be bigger than Cincinnati, but we were that big and important in the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 4: You referenced the Island Island Queen, which was really a very popular steamboat. You know that people would take what back and forth across the river to Coney Island that was destroyed in a fire in what in what nineteen.
Speaker 3: Forty seven forty seven head? Yeah, made me think, are of all that?
Speaker 4: I believe there are nine steamboats that are here this weekend. Are any of them in particular more special to Cincinnati than another one?
Speaker 3: Or are they?
Speaker 4: Have they all been through here before or is this even a first visit for some of them?
Speaker 10: I think most of them have probably been here before. I haven't really delved that much into individual history, but the Belle of Louisville is historic. That's the one they would have the races, I think with the Delta Queen in the past, and there's only you know, we keep using the term riverboats and steamboats, and there's a difference. So the steamboats were actually powered by steam and by and large those are gone now. Riverboats that have propellers and rudders and the paddle wheels are for show and to kind of keep going back.
Speaker 4: Also referred to as stern wheelers, right like you I remember growing up, I develop lists on the Ohio River that we would call them stern wheelers.
Speaker 3: Is that? Is that the same same type of boat?
Speaker 5: Same that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And the stern wheeler is being it where it's where the wheel is, whether it's a stern or it's a side side wheeler, and things like that. And but you know, there are only a I think there's five or six true steamboats left, and I know the Bell of Louisville and the Natchez I'm here this week are two actual steamboats. So not the other ones are you know, nothing to sneeze that they're great boats, but it's really kind of interesting to see. Yeah, And I was on the Natchez last night and it was just you know, watching the boilers and and moving the pistons and the shafts and whatever the proper terms for all those things are moving the paddle. It's a really neat experience. And to be on the river going past at night and you really kind of get a feel of, like you know, Mark Twain was writing about.
Speaker 1: Uh, Jeff spoken like a true history nerd to be on one of those river cruises, like I'm going to check out the engine room. But that's cool, man, because I've always wondered how these things are driven. As you said, you know, I've known that for a long time, that paddle wheel, and I think everybody knows that. Now that's just for show, but I think those things are fascinating that whole history, that time, that time in history, and it wasn't that long of a period of time, Jeff, Can you kind of time frame that for us?
Speaker 10: Yeah, Well, the first one it was in eighteen twelve when the first steamboat came from Pittsburgh, went past Cincinnati down to New Orleans, and you know, with the Cincinnatians were so surprised to see it come back up the river. It made a real big impact. And so by the thirties and forties, sloot of the steamboat industries building up, and in these eighteen seventies or so, we were, you know, kind of at the forefront of shipbuilding around here. So you think all through the Civil War era at the eighteen eighties or so, but trains are picking up and taking a lot more transportation of things. So that's really kind of what and then steamboats were, you know, the dangerous. That's the thing about the steam powered In the old days, when they didn't regulate stuff as much, they had volatile boilers who would explode.
Speaker 6: All these ships were.
Speaker 10: Wooden, so if anything happened to them, they would go up. So we mentioned the Island Queen. We had two different Island Queens in Cincinnati. Both of them burned up at different types. So you know, it's it's kind.
Speaker 6: Of a of the period.
Speaker 10: Maybe not the greatest, fastest transportation anymore, but still it's there's still a great romantic quality to them.
Speaker 4: Well, I was going to ask you that Jeff and Jeff ceased from the Inquirer sinsi dot com the history writer join us.
Speaker 3: I was telling Eddie yesterday.
Speaker 4: Having grown up in Gallipolis and then my grandparents lived in Middleport, when the Delta Queen would come through, the whole town would stop. Everybody would go out and look at it and just marvel at it. But as we're talking here, it made me think, like, so really in the early days of this, because right now you think of it, and certainly now you think I was like, oh, okay, that's certainly a touristy thing and a luxury thing to do. Oh I'm gonna take you know, eight days and take a river cruise. But early on, as I understand, right, this was how like if you wanted to go to New Orleans, this might have been the quickest way to do.
Speaker 10: That you got there, Yeah, absolutely, because you know, the river transport is the way to go. You know, it's much faster than you know, especially before they had trains really not kind of developing into the eighteen fifties or so. So, and there's difference between transporting goods and transporting people. And I think people liked to being on the river. They could stop a little towns along the way, and you know that twelve day trip. I mean, you know, people at different times view transportation differently than we do. We fly across the world in a day. You know, you take months to go across the Atlantic Ocean and steamships, so you know, everything was slower. You know, if you wanted to take get to northern Ohio, you might tank the canal boat and it was being pulled by a mule going two miles an hour. I mean it takes a while. Well, so you know the fifteen mile an hour.
Speaker 5: Steamboats pretty fast.
Speaker 1: Jeff, Let me ask you about that. You were talking about going into different ports and stuff. Is it was it like a cruise ship where you you know, they just kept moving and you slept on it. Or would they pull into a little town along the way. I did you know how that worked? I never even thought about that.
Speaker 10: From my understanding, it varied. You know, there are some of them where just transports to a shorter jaunts. For instance, that's where Coney Island came from. You would have these steamboats that would pause at this apple orchard and have a picnic. Yeah, and you guys like, hey, let's put up ride, and that kind of started up Coney Island. But then you do have the ones that are going to go transporting, you know, especially all the way down the rivers and stuff. They would be sleeping on them. It would be like being on an overnight train trip.
Speaker 3: Oh gotcha?
Speaker 1: Wondering all right with that? Jeff, We will let you go.
Speaker 3: Good stuff.
Speaker 5: Jeff, Well, thanks thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Are you so you've been down here? Are you going to come? I would assume you're going to be down here all week and wondering about.
Speaker 10: As much as I can. I went by it this afternoon. I listened to some of the music and the food vendors and stuff, because last night it was mostly just the cruises. But it's it's a great view to see everything. And then you know, being out on the river. You know, we can do it all the time, but we kind of we take it for granted, you know, And this is a good reminder of you know, the the river and going back there.
Speaker 4: Well, Jeff, enjoy your enjoy your time at River Roots, as I know so many other people are going to and planning to go.
Speaker 3: If you're still.
Speaker 4: Wondering about River Roots and what this is, I would encourage you to go to the inquire Since dot Com read Jeff's historical pieces on this. It really gives you a broader, bigger perspective about why are we having this River Roots?
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 4: Well, Jeff's got all the answers and his pieces on Cincinna dot com.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jeff, Thank all right, Thanks buddy, And with that we check in with traffic and weather. What is going on at the River Roots Radio takeover? Jase and Rock here at the market bar at ovation on the River, and guys, I can't tell you enough, how cool this place is.
Speaker 3: All you need is Rocky right, that had another r in there.
Speaker 1: We don't need rocket Man. Look, he didn't want to be here. I don't know why. No, he's in Georgia. He's in Georgia right now, the ESPN game today. Yeah, but I'm telling you this is cool. If everybody's going to come to this festival this weekend. And we're on obviously right here on the Kentucky side of the river. It's a oh no, fifty yard walk. You're right there looking down from the market Bar and see all this stuff looking right at at the landing right across the river.
Speaker 4: Well on the shout out to the market Bar team too. This is a great team. They're incredibly friendly and great service here. And you just had some of the food. I haven't had that, but I heard you over here bragging about it.
Speaker 3: I guess no, we do.
Speaker 1: My wife came here obviously and cobbed on everything. But I did taste her. I did taste her food, and she said, we're coming back.
Speaker 3: This is really good. I thought I heard say that. No, she told me we'll be back or something.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Coming up, we're going to be talking about NFL football as we often do, but this time on Thursday, we always talked to you. Your compadre from the sports department at Cincinnati dot Com Jay Jayhoff, Jason Hoff Jhoff. Well, uh, we're gonna do our picks and and I I.
Speaker 4: I'm not doing so well in my uh my pick them my weekly pick them pool, the potw with Seth Coroyle Coyle who's been.
Speaker 3: Doing that for years. I'm not doing so well in that.
Speaker 4: You just put fifty dollars in to begin the year and you're never that's all you're ever out. You just picked picking pick seven games a week, and I'm not doing so well.
Speaker 1: One of my sons where he working like dad, there's one of those elimination pools. Yeah, tell me who to uh to not vettle on whatever the hellever that works. I'm like, dude, you're talking to the wrong guy. Yeah, you know, I play blackjack. I don't sports gamble. Hey, you're you're a real gambler. I play cards, man. But we're going to talk to Jason veteran. There's a reason why I live in a trailer the wrong side of the tracks. I live in a van down by the river. With that, we took it with the News News Radio seven hundred w l W chance.
Speaker 9: To win one thousand dollars entered this nationwide keyword on our website for the bills, that's bills enter it now.
Speaker 1: All right, back on the Eddy and Rocky Show. It is the seven hundred w W River Roots Radio takeover here at the market bar, at J's here at Ovation on the River, and.
Speaker 4: More specifically in the Homewood Suites right right off of that. If you're looking to come here, just do the Homewood Suites address and that'll get.
Speaker 1: You right here and find the red chairs, lots of red chairs. That's not Rocky. Jason Williams is with me, but now we have another Jason, a guy you work with. Oh yeah, then we lost that We do every Thursday round about this time.
Speaker 4: He helps me a lot on these I listened to this segment every week. Well are you betting?
Speaker 1: Are you betting? According to Hey, you know what Jason Hoppin, let's talk to you. How are we doing, buddy?
Speaker 5: So in the gambling world, we are up four and a half units this year so far, so we're winning not a lot, we're winning a little bit right now.
Speaker 1: So four and a half units. I've never heard it put that way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, means so instead of in the gambling world, it's not polite to say how much you bet on a game. It could be fifty, one hundred and ten, whatever, one thousand, ten thousand, that's just your unit. So that's what I bet per game, not specifying anything. But in the gambling world, yeah, you specify how many units you're up or down. So if it's ten, you're up forty five dollars right now. If it's one hundred year up four to fifty, I got it.
Speaker 3: So I'm I'm in.
Speaker 4: I'm in my Pickham pool every week, which is I just pay fifty dollars to get in it. I'm four Unfortunately, I'm four games under five hundred. Does that mean I'm down four units?
Speaker 3: There's that.
Speaker 5: I mean it would be betting if you were betting per game.
Speaker 3: Yes, I got you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's get right to the betting part of it. Jason to Hoffman our guests from the Inquirer Cincinnati dot com. Starting with the night, let's talk about the Eagles and Giants. Seeing the Eagles, well, uh, seven point favorites over the Giants in that over of forty and a half.
Speaker 5: I like the Eagles in the spot. Jackson Dark has been good, better than most thought, especially in that Brian Gables system. But the Eagles are so good at the at the point of attack and both the offensive and defensive line. I can't see the Giants keep it in this game closer than a touchdown. So I'm gonna go with the Eagles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hey, Eagles, especially Eagles coming off that lost to Denver at home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm with you on that.
Speaker 4: Next game. We're just jumping down the line here. Well, let's let's go right to a Brown Steelers on Sunday. That's yeah, I'm saying, be a dogfight.
Speaker 1: Steelers six and a half. I think that's a that's a strong line, and the over thirty eight and a half. Yeah, I saw no.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So last week I figured Dylan Gabriel going against Brian Flores would have a terrible game. He did enough to almost get the Browns over the finish line, yep. But the Vikings did pull it out at the end. They just didn't cover the spread, which means we lost. Besides that, you've now got a whole week of tape on what that offense looks like with him and Mike Tomlin's one of the best in the league at divising game plan against that. So as long as it stays under a touchdown, I'm gonna go with the Steelers. And I also liked the over in this game because I think Aaron Rodgers is going to have a decent day.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you that Brown's defense but did not look like the Browns defense last week.
Speaker 5: Now, and that was against Carson Wentz too.
Speaker 3: Correct jumping down to we got Rams Ravens.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, Ravens might be the best one to four team obviously, Lamar out right now.
Speaker 3: Rams on the road, favored by seven and a half. What do you got Jay?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So this is a So last week they lost at home, they got blown out by the Texans because Lamar wasn't there, and they had nine starters out of their twenty two starters not play. This week, it looks like there might be seven starters that don't play. As long as this game stays the line stays under double digits, I'm taking the Rams, even though I don't like it, just because when you when you're that banged up, the second second stringers are not that good in the NFL. Even though people think they are. So I'm gonna stay with the Rams even though they had that clunker on Thursday night last week.
Speaker 1: All right, moving along, how about the Seahawks at the surprising Jags.
Speaker 4: I mean four and one Jags, if that's it, if that's your best team in the AFC?
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, I'm saying forty six and a half on this one, Jason.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I got to go with the Seahawks here, even though they really they got they got Baker mayfielded last week. Baker Mayfield led an incredible fourth quarter and just did ridiculous things. The Jaguars only beat the Chiefs because and I quote, I was panicking, is what Trevor Lawrence said on that last play the game where he almost fell down. He was panicking. He admitted as much saw a wide saw a wide open gap and just ran through it and said screw it and actually scored a touchdown. But the Seahawks are The Jaguars have a really good roster. The Seahawks, in my opinion, are the way better team here. And even though it's a one o'clock start on the East Coast, which means it's ten am their time, I don't think that'll be a problem. I think the Seahawks roster and coaching prevails in this one.
Speaker 4: Next game is and this is one where, Man, this is a tough one to pick, I think because the forty nine ers at four and one, without rock Party, without a bunch of guys, just keep on.
Speaker 3: Winning and finding a way to win.
Speaker 4: They go across the country to Baker Mayfield and the Tampa Bay Bucks. Bucks right now favored at by three points over Unders at forty seven and a half, And.
Speaker 3: What do you make of that one?
Speaker 5: Jay, So this is one where I'm gonna I'm gonna start riding Baker Mayfield from a betting perspective the rest of the year. Yeah, I love I love what Kyle Shanahan does in San Francisco. I'm not gonna lie his game planning and play calling Nason so that almost any quarterback who can walk can probably execute that offense. But the Bucks right now just have it going. It doesn't matter the situation, doesn't matter how much they're down in the second half, they're finding ways to win, and they're at home. I'm gonna I'm gonna ride the Bucks on this one minus the three and a half I'm also gonna I'm also gonna move the line to six and a half, thinking they win.
Speaker 3: By a touchdown.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right, all right, how about that that night game, big game and surprising here Lions at Chiefs, Chiefs by two and a half. Uh and the uh over fifty two and a half.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: That's the last line I saw on that, Jase. Maybe you can correct me on that.
Speaker 5: No, that's that's what it is. And it's weird that it's that high, which is why I'm gonna stay away from it. I have no idea why it's that high. I would, you know, gut into my head. I'd bet a under on that. But I'm going to actually take the Chiefs minus the points here. The Chiefs were beating the Jaguars by every measurable statistic last week until that Trevor Lawrence scramble for a touchdown. I think the Chiefs have it together, Honestly, I think they figured it out and they're I think they're going to win this game by a touchdown, but I will gladly take two.
Speaker 3: And a half. I should say I'm one hundred percent with you on that.
Speaker 7: Jay.
Speaker 4: I think the Chiefs are due and they're due for a win. I think the line are due for kind of a dud.
Speaker 1: Yea, to be honest with you, has their new album out. Yeah, Oh yeah, Kelso go out there and Kelsey go out there and he'll catch like two hundred yards where their passes. It's kata.
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 4: Let's stump that. Monday Night games. The Bills coming off the loss at versus New England. Uh, they go down to Atlanta play the Falcons. The Falcons are just so so team at two and two, Buffalo favored by four and a half over under his forty nine and a half the Bills. Do they bounce back in this one or do they take it on the chin again?
Speaker 5: I think the Bills bounce back. They lost last week to a team that Mike Graybile has just playing out of their mind and playing extremely physical football. That's not what the Falcons are. I don't like four and a half in this spot. If I were going to take the spread, I would take the Atlanta plus four and a half because I think this is a field goal game either way. And I'm also going to go with the under. Yeah, because the Falcons have a great defense. The Bills have a good defense and the Bills are not great with weapons right now.
Speaker 1: And it is another night, another Monday night football double header, got Bears at Commanders, and I'm seeing Commanders by four and a half ever so so game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not that appealing, honestly, But what the Commanders did last week in Arizona, I think they're gonna I think they're gonna steamroll Chicago this week.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't think that Chicago's offense is going to have enough to do what the Commanders are doing on defense right now. Deal with what the Commanders are doing on defense right now. So I'm all over the Commanders in this one.
Speaker 4: And finally, drum roll please. Bengals at Packers Joe Flacco's debut, what not debut against the Packers. He's already played him this year.
Speaker 1: Fourteen points man fourteen.
Speaker 4: The ESPN bet has them at fourteen and a half. So fourteen fourteen and a half over under at forty four and a half two touchdowns, seems even though the Bengals have been struggling, and with Flacco now having beaten the Packers, I feel like fourteen's a lot of points really in general, on an NFL game, and I even think it is for this Bengals team.
Speaker 3: But what do you say, you're the.
Speaker 5: Expert, Jay, So yeah, the most interesting thing here the line opened up Sunday night at fourteen and a half at most books. When the Bengals picked up Flaco, it only went down to fourteen. So that tells you that the books, the books don't think that Flaco is that big of a difference. Normally a quarterback, like you know, the best quarterbacks in the NFL, Josh Allen for instance, if he's out, it's a six and a half point spread move immediately. Yeah, the most quarterbacks are right around a point and a half two points. And if Flacco is only a half point over Jake Browning to the books and again this is not x's and o's, this is just what the bookmakers do. That tells me that they don't have much confidence that the Bengals are going to change that much. However, fourteen points at a ton, especially in the NFL. Man, and I think the Bulls the Bengals play good enough to keep it within fourteen, so I would take that number. But my whole thing here is the over. I think the Packers coming off of buye are going to have an awesome offensive game plan against what the Bengals defense doesn't do well, which is unfortunately st up the run in the pass.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, let's be honest, we've we've all watched this team so far. They're they're mediocre on defense and the problem is they're not exceptional on offense right now. So but yeah, I like the fourteen number here for the Bengals to cover. I don't think they get it within a field goal though, so I wouldn't go that crazy, But yeah, I it's just when when I saw the books only move the line at a point, I was like, Uh, these guys know what they're doing and they don't think that that's much of a movement. So that's where I'm at. But I'm also going to take the over because I think there's a possibility of a shootout at them in here good at good good weather. Jamar and te like playing on that type of turf that Green Bay has, and Tea already or sorry Jamar today already said that Joe Flacco is getting play calls in fash than he's ever in the NFL, and he said it's not a big deal. It's just an adjustment to make. But he was saying that Flat is so quick to get the play calls in. I think we're looking at maybe a track meet here on Sunday.
Speaker 1: That'd be cool. All right, all for that, well we shall see so Jason Hoffman from The Inquirer pleasure as always, son, We will talk to you next week.
Speaker 5: Awesome, guys, thank you. Let's go make some money, all right, thank you?
Speaker 1: My friend lay them as they roll or something like that. See you don't, I'm not a better You don't go to the casino, hang out with him and uh, you know, smoke cigarettes and siguys and sit there and like, bring me another scotch.
Speaker 3: What's going on to that TETs game?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Me neither with that. We check in with trafficking weather, what is going on? Add dovasion on the river the Mark, Mark and Jason had to go.
Speaker 8: It's a good thing I was here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like we didn't talk about it. But anyways to talk about the rest of the weekend. Susanne death Ridge. Uh, and Suzanne, I don't ready, I don't know what your exact title is, but you seem to be in charge of literally everything. But I mean everything that's going on here at Ovation on the River.
Speaker 2: Well, I am here with corpor X and we are the master developer of Ovations, So yes, we'll explain for.
Speaker 1: People who don't know, explain what this all is because it's a complex.
Speaker 11: If they haven't seen it, it's impossible to figure out it's on this space.
Speaker 2: Now it is a lot. So it has been very transformational to this part of Newport, which is right at the confluence of the Licking and Ohio rivers.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: So you know at once just empty land is now a full complex. It's a two story garage on both sides of Third Street, and you've got one section with an office building, Megacre, music and event venue, and then the home with suites market bar that we are sitting in. And then once you cross third Street you have these amazing residences, the Boardwalk residences, condominiums and a boardwalk right in the front that overlooks the Ohio and Licking rivers. It's absolutely stunning and today and throughout the weekend you'll see all the riverboats right from that boardwalk.
Speaker 1: And the thing is, we'll talk about the rest of this stuff, but being right behind the venue here for people who come to a concert here. I mean literally of steps away. You can come here, have some to eat and walk right over there, or walk here afterwards and have a cocktail before you.
Speaker 2: Will absolutely and I mean you've got the plaza right in front of us, Ofvation Plaza and that Megacre Pavilion. I mean incredible concerts, both outdoor and indoor. They have both the approaches and talk about access to river roots from here, so you can easily right through our development, walk over to the boardwalk and just the stunning views of the river boats. And there's bourbon tastings, Braxton beer, food and drink, live music both on Ovation Plaza and then the boardwalk. And quite frankly, if you've got a riverboat cruise park here at Ovation, take the Riverfront Commons walkway right across the tailor Southgate and you're right at the public landing where all the boats are more.
Speaker 11: What do you feel like when people walk in here? Because it was my first time walking up here today was amazing. You know, when people come in here and they haven't been around for a little bit. This kind of rose from ashes of it took so many years to make a what do people say to you?
Speaker 2: You know, they're always surprised. I always want to say, come up from Third Street. You've got to come up on top and really see it, because once you get up here, like your experience today, you're like, wow, this is incredible. It really is about accessibility, convenience, walk ability, having everything at your fingertips, and that's what it's about here. But you do have to go up. And the reason why we want you to go up is so that we are above that levee wall and you get those incredible views and you're in a safe environment too, since we're not going to have that water come up.
Speaker 11: But it is so convenient because I had not been here, but where I pulled in the garage, I saw where it's an elevator, and then it took me thirty seconds to Yeah, the elevator, you know stairwells.
Speaker 2: It's a simple pop up to the top on the plaza levels.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Here at the market bar. I mean, I'm looking at the elevator banks and.
Speaker 2: Right now they get to that view of the Ohio River and the Cincinnati skyline.
Speaker 3: The river like you.
Speaker 1: But you guys also right down the street for people who don't know where you're where exactly Where're at Newport on the Levee. Absolutely, that's been there forever, literally right down the street, right down the river bank.
Speaker 2: It truly is. I mean that Riverfront Commons walkway goes right in front of Ovation, takes you down to the bridge. You're right over at Newport on the Levee. I mean, it's fantastic all of the offerings in this amazing river city here.
Speaker 1: So what's going on here at Ovation the rest of the weekend.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, there's going to be live. Well, we've got tea paint over at Megacore Pavilion on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Because nothing screams river roots like tea paint.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's all about music too, is one of their pillars, Eddie. Come on now, we've got eighties cover bands up at Haino, We've got DJs, we've got bourbon, and we have a life size happy Birthday cart that everybody should sign because it is the two hundred and fiftieth birthday to the country, a massive eight by eight and this is the.
Speaker 1: Kickoff, right, the official right, Absolutely, we are the kickoff to the two hundred and fifty Cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got a birthday cake out there, Eddie.
Speaker 8: So I'm taking selfie.
Speaker 2: Sorry it is Omni Channel rights rocky.
Speaker 1: But no, all week and long, there's going to be all the cruises that are going on. I mean, shoot, and those are all going to take off from the Ohio side though, right they do.
Speaker 2: All of those nine river boats from multiple cities are taking they're all moored on the Cincinnati side. So again from the Northingexa, you just walk across the tailor Southgate Bridge and you are right there. So the convenience is incredible, along.
Speaker 7: With the views.
Speaker 2: And again what says Kentucky bourbon, So we got plenty of bourbon and beer for everybody.
Speaker 1: Well, Suzanne, you and I were talking earlier about and I've talked to my lovely wife here. I said, oh, they have a bourbon and candy tasting. I think I'm going to go to that.
Speaker 8: That's right, And I.
Speaker 2: Brought you the Melody sticks and Betty van mel actually has you know a little candy that does the pipe and whatever that's called coming out of those boats.
Speaker 8: Calliope caliapees contributing tank.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you, but.
Speaker 1: Listen, it's going to be going on until one Sunday, more or less on sun I means all days.
Speaker 2: It's all day. It opens up every day at eleven Today, it goes until ten Friday, Saturday till eleven pm, and then Sunday it finishes at nine. And there are fireworks taking place over the Ohio River between eight thirty and nine. So stunning views again from here to be able to observe or participate whatever is up your boat.
Speaker 8: No better weather than this. Was amazing that this worked.
Speaker 2: Out, like oh fall has entered and it is fantastic.
Speaker 3: Wanted to be part of the park.
Speaker 1: You all could have asked for a better weather.
Speaker 3: Weekend.
Speaker 1: I mean, good Lord, that's right, I mean beautiful whatever last week ninety degrees, I mean today you can walk around in jeans, in a in a sweater and it's perfect. Not a cloud in the sky.
Speaker 2: It is beautiful. Absolutely, And that's Cincinnati Skyline with those boats in the backdrop. It's beautiful. But take a cruise. Are you going on a cruise?
Speaker 1: Nobody offered I should I should.
Speaker 2: Have got it by cruise tickets at America river Roots dot com.
Speaker 1: Well, I have to look that up. I'm gonna I'm gonna have to talk to the promotions department. It's seven hundred w l W and see what's going on with that?
Speaker 2: Oh, you gotta get on a cruise.
Speaker 7: We uh.
Speaker 1: We talked to a bunch of people who've been on the Actually we had friends on them today, a couple of who were doing we had two different two couples who were doing two cruises, and I was like, what do you think you're going to see different but if you're a different boat, correct.
Speaker 2: That's right, at different times of the day. They have them in the morning, they have them in the afternoon. They have meal cruises, they have sight seeing cruises, they have you know, happy hour cruises. There's all sorts of things.
Speaker 1: All right with that, we will let you go.
Speaker 2: Hey, well thanks for having me on. I'm proud to be a part of the one in k WY zone.
Speaker 8: Congratulations on all of you so much.
Speaker 4: Thanks so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we uh we gotta get down here.
Speaker 11: You know, Well, there's no reason you have to work tomorrow. I can I can skip out so I can go.
Speaker 1: Well, you're gonna sponge off our friends and talk try to talk to them and had not taken their wives. I heard that Lisa was sick.
Speaker 3: When I go, who can't make it? I can be a plus one.
Speaker 8: I'm excellent at that.
Speaker 1: So now you were doing TV reporting when tall stax I was.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's amazing to think about how long ago that was.
Speaker 11: But how the community rallied around that and just was all in and the number of people who were down by the river then and everything. It was wonderful and it was it was a great thing about everybody coming together and the history like we're seeing this week and this weekend. It's just when people start to really think about what the that river lifestyle and how that put Cincinnati on the map and all that happened here a long time ago.
Speaker 8: It's it is truly amazing.
Speaker 1: If you went to that all those years ago, you're gonna want to see this because we're looking. You know, we can walk right out there and see the landing where all the boats are parked and stuff, and well we can we can speak to it because we live on the river now, yeh, and saw a couple of these boats going up the river the other day and it is really cool.
Speaker 8: It's so impressive it is and it's just beautiful.
Speaker 11: I mean, the river life is amazing and to be on the river, you know, like Susanna was saying, a minute ago.
Speaker 7: Do that.
Speaker 11: It's a whole different perspective than watching it from the land.
Speaker 1: Well, we want to thank everybody here at the market Bar at Ovation on the River. Come down here, check it out. This place is very cool and it's developing and it has well I say developing, but it's beautiful, all kinds of cool stuff. There's a boardwalk right from I can see it from here. Then you can walk over it and walk right along the river, walk right down to where all the events are going on. Super cool. Wouldn't miss it. Thank you to everybody here at the Market Bar at Ovation on the River.
Speaker 3: You're great. Thank you.
Speaker 1: And now with that we check in with traffic and weather. What is going on.