Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. It's Schooble Day in Chicago. Trek Schouoble getting set to make his Dodger debut, and we're in the manager's office for the manager's meeting presented by Downy hun Day with Dave Roberts. Dave, thanks a lot for the time, and how excited are you for today?
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 3: I'm excited like all Dodger fans, and obviously coming off losing four in a row, you know, to have a guy like Terrek take the mound and be our stopper, that's what we're looking for.
Speaker 2: And you know, this is what I just learned is this is his first.
Speaker 3: Time pitching at Wrigley Field, So I think it's gonna be something special for him, not only just to don the Dodger uniform, but to also pitch on Wiggley Field.
Speaker 2: So it's gonna be an exciting one.
Speaker 1: On Sunday Night Baseball, it was not a great game. You had just removed Emma sheehan from the game, but when you got back to the dugout, he was waiting for you. What's been the interactions like so far with Dave Roberts and Trek Scuoble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was quite the juxtaposition. You know, you're giving up Homers and you're not feeling good about the game, but then you turn around then.
Speaker 2: You see Trek Scooble. So that certainly put a.
Speaker 3: Smile on my face, and you know, we were starting to build slowly. I think that him getting into town early to do his Day three lift, to meet the guys in the dugout, spent a couple of days with them, and then get on the player plane, I think was great for his kind of assimilation with the guys, and I think for me just little chats here there and obviously gearing up for today, so you sort of leave him alone. But he is a lot more talkative and present than you know other starting pitchers. Not name Clayton Kershaw, named Clayton Kershaw, but no, he's great, excited to be here. But I think for me, he just wants to get this first one out of the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny. I just asked Max Munsey if Scooble is Krushaw like on start day. He said he couldn't be from the further of Kershaw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's The funny thing is that even Clayton admitted that he like and you guys are gonna love him, Doc, You're gonna love him. And he's more normal on his start days than I was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was worried to look at Kershaw on the eye. So I've been traumatized. I don't look at anybody in the eye on start day.
Speaker 2: No, I hear. You never know.
Speaker 3: And these starters, it's it's once every five six days, and so they get this adrenaline, this emotion, this focus and get pretty irritable. And you know, Clayton was one of those guys that I remember playing with Kevin Brown when I played with the Dodge, and he was that way where you just you know, you want to get that kind of five foot radius and stand clear.
Speaker 1: It's interesting how certain guys get ready for start days that are really good pictures like Yamamoto, like a school bl You've seen so many. Like you said, is there at a certain point in time a switch that flips before the game begins.
Speaker 3: It does, But I think that some guys it starts, you know, right when they get into the parking lot.
Speaker 2: You know, at the ballpark.
Speaker 3: It's that intensity and some guys, it's a slower burn as you lead up to the game. When they get their stretch, they start playing catch. And I think the thing is, though, is that it's just got to be natural and organic, because what happens is that if you try to manufacture that focus, that intensity too early, that expends energy. And that's something that I have seen with young pitchers that you've got to be who you are. You can't have it too contrived. There's certainly got to be a level of focus, but I think that you've got to be mindful of expending too much energy.
Speaker 1: Dave Roberts is our guest the Manager's Meeting, presented by Downey Hyundai. All right, you got Trek Skouoble on the mound and you got Ben Rhtvit catching. Ben Rurtvitt is back, so is Hunter Fiducca. Where is the Dodgers catching situation right now? Uh?
Speaker 3: You know, obviously with the news of a Dalton having a slightly torn UCL, I think it is. So we're going to keep the hitting going. You know, he's gonna have a slow pro with a throwing don't know what that looks like, you know, for the rest of the season and throughout the postseason. Fortunately it happened the day before the trade deadline, so you know, here we are a day after we had two catchers on our roster, and the day today we're looking at two new catchers. And thankfully, you know, we had rt Vett last year caught in some postseason games, we had Fidusha last year in the years prior, so there's a lot of familiarity and so we certainly raised the floor on the catching.
Speaker 1: Why did everybody love Ben rurt Fitz so much?
Speaker 3: I think rort Is is a good teammate, doesn't take himself too seriously, and he's a servant, and I think a catching a catcher has to be a servant. And I really think that last year him being here really helped Dalton's growth as a servant, and so I think getting him back, he does a lot of things right. He's in it with the catchers and I think the pitchers. And that's why tonight I really kind of flipping a coin. Fidusha roared vet. I went with the energy the servant, wrote Vet today. But Fidusha's going to catch a lot with this too.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like until Will Smith or Dalton rushing returns. It's going to be a shared situation, or do you feel like there's one guy that you may lean on more than another.
Speaker 3: It's going to be shared, but I think it'll probably be three to five Fidusha over rared Vet, but it's again, it's essentially shared.
Speaker 1: Going back to Will Smith, I know we ask you about this every week, but are you encouraged that you're going to get him back?
Speaker 3: Very much? So, don't know the timeline. He's more active, he's swinging, he's throwing, he's lifting, moving around, so that's encouraging. Just don't know the timeline, but I do think that you know, the expectation to get him back we feel really good about. But again the trade deadline covering our downside getting two new catches is great. But you know, once we get Will back, we're certainly going to be a much better ball club.
Speaker 1: Before we were back out of here. I know you had mentioned that you found out right around game time on Friday or Saturday that you guys acquired school it was Saturday. What was your initial reaction? Did you feel like Andrew would pull this off? What was Dave Roberts thinking going into Friday and Saturday?
Speaker 3: You know so Friday, I had really no expectations. Obviously, we were kicking at tires and as Andrew says, we're on the backboard. And then Sunday when he told me we got him, or it was Saturday when we got him, I'm sorry. When we got him Saturday, I was really taken aback because I didn't expect something like that to go down two days before the deadline.
Speaker 2: And so once you told.
Speaker 3: Me we got him pending physicals, I was a little shell shocked, and I didn't really know it was happening. And even that night, my wife goes, Dave, you're not even that happy. You don't see that happen, and I go, I am, I just it hasn't hit me yet. But then when I saw him the next day in the dugout, it certainly hit me.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go, everybody's talking about the Dodgers, So what's your reaction to you guys being the topic of conversations on national debate shows that usually focuses on the NBA and NFL. I feel like this is a great example of how the Dodgers have brought baseball to the forefront of the conversations.
Speaker 3: I think It's fantastic. And I think that you and I have known each other for a long time. We talk a lot about different things, and you know, for me, I love the game at baseball, and so if people are debating baseball, talking about baseball, talking about the Dodgers, we all win. And so I'm excited about it and the Dodgers, what we're doing, what we have done, what we plan on doing. Obviously the superstar players that we have. So keep talking ball.
Speaker 2: Love it, Dave.
Speaker 1: Can't wait for first pitch Trek Scouoble taking the Mount tonight at Wrigley Field. Thanks as always for the time.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dave, love it. Can't wait till next week.