Speaker 1: I don't expect that anybody is going to know the Shambala Music Festival.
Speaker 2: I didn't know of it.
Speaker 3: Where is it?
Speaker 2: British Columbia, so west coast of Canada, and it.
Speaker 1: Is a it is like it kind of gets described as being between a rave and a music festival.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Was it called Shambala?
Speaker 1: Shambala? I even hope I'm pronouncing it right, Shambala. But it takes place in British Columbia and they do it several days that it takes place, and it's about twenty five thousand people that show up every year for the Shambala Music Festival. Pictures make it look awesome. Pictures make it look great. So can I read you part of this thing that I was reading about? A group of friends that they talked to were going to the festival. They'd never been before. As the friend set up camp among the twenty five thousand other visitors to the Shambala Music Festival, they were approached by someone offering party favors drugs. Right soon they received a men, thank you.
Speaker 3: You don't know that term?
Speaker 4: No, Kristen's busy, But would she have known what that was.
Speaker 1: If I said, Hey, we're going to a music festival. I brought some party favors. Would you think that I brought like noisemakers? Seriously, you would think noise makers over drugs.
Speaker 4: Maybe not noisemakers. But I didn't immediately go to drugs.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, Kristen went from airplane bottles of liquor.
Speaker 2: Okay, drugs.
Speaker 1: So anyway, they were approached by someone offering party favors drugs. Then they received a menu of illicit substances and their prices via an en encrypted messaging app.
Speaker 2: Fine, I get all that.
Speaker 1: The three of them and several other people that were around them decided to purchase three things, LSD, ketamine and MDMA.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's wrong?
Speaker 4: I'm so nervous.
Speaker 2: The wait, Tyler, you know you're not You didn't buy any take them? Yeah, you're not doing it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, but it's like three things I'd be worried about trying to illegally obtain one.
Speaker 2: The yeah, no, But I mean.
Speaker 1: So anyway, they paid four hundred dollars and they got their whatever volume of LSD, ketamine and MDMA. Listen, if somebody, if I was there and they were offering me party favors, I ain't getting the LSD.
Speaker 2: The other two I'd have to have a discussion about.
Speaker 1: But anyway, here's the difference between Shambala and they point out almost every other festival in Canada.
Speaker 2: And I don't know that any exist.
Speaker 1: As they said, they don't know that any exists in the United States.
Speaker 2: And I mean, think.
Speaker 1: About We're just coming off of what was last weekend was like Lollapalooza. What distinguishes Shambala is that anyone can test the drugs that they've just purchased and get advice on how to reduce the risk of using them at an on site drug lab.
Speaker 4: So this is like a sanctioned vendor.
Speaker 1: No, No, the vendor isn't sanctioned. The person selling it. No, that is not the sanctioned person. The lab is sanctioned.
Speaker 3: Oh and it's on site.
Speaker 2: The free drug.
Speaker 1: Testing service is sanctioned by both the festival and the Canadian government. Shambala's approach is one answer to a question at the heart of the problem, what should be done about a drug supply that is more contaminated, potent, and unpredicted to bolder than any other time in history.
Speaker 2: Now, listen, there are no shortage.
Speaker 1: Of people who think This is a horrible idea that you're essentially saying, go buy drug right.
Speaker 2: Now. The festival people and the I.
Speaker 1: Don't remember who the spokesperson was for the Canadian government said listen, what we're we're just the focus of this is harm reduction. We know, by the way, if you go to if you go to Shambala's website, if you go read about it, they'll tell you drugs aren't allowed.
Speaker 2: There's no drugs that are allowed.
Speaker 3: They know they're going to be there. Of course, Yeah, of.
Speaker 4: Course, So can I sluck a busted for using using.
Speaker 5: I put in R you're in a damn word. Welcome to marjoh on the darnold Oh that's right. The yeah, I don't the answer is I'm I'm sure that answer is yes.
Speaker 2: I don't know that.
Speaker 1: But they do say drug use is illegal, drug use is prohibited, and they know that. But you know the other thing, they know people are going to do drugs at the festival.
Speaker 6: I'm looking at photos. You would be in your element. Oh there these are my people, for sure. But listen, like you could say that about any festival people are going to what's wrong?
Speaker 3: I'm looking at the pictures?
Speaker 1: Oh do you see me in there. Ye, people are going to do drugs. I mean it's going to happen.
Speaker 4: Do drugs, not use drugs.
Speaker 1: But that that's not me. No, no, But but that's not me saying like, hey, if you're going to the festival, you should do it. That's everybody's own choice whether they're going to do it or not, and not just the choice of whether they're going to use, but it's also their choice of whether they're going to take the risk knowing it's illegal. And that's where Shambala says, we can, we can post everywhere we want, but unless you there it is it is impossible for us to eliminate all drugs from the festival. We wish we could, but we also know we can't. Number one. Number two, We also wish that people were not lacing drugs. We wish there wasn't a massive fentanyl problem. We wish everything was as advertised, but it's not. So if we could focus on and this is where some people get caught, is they're like, don't don't, don't waste my time with harm reduction, figure out a way to prevent it. And they've all said, I wish we could. I wish we could find a way to do it. So they have these this this lab set up.
Speaker 2: I'm looking for I lost my place. Oh, here we go.
Speaker 1: They talk about it's an on site drug lab, a free drug testing service sanctioned by the festival and the government. Last year, seven percent of the five thousand samples tested at Shambala contained something unexpected. Hundreds of people every year at Shambala need medical attention for drug related problems. In twenty seven years, there's been four deaths. Two were drug related, including a cocaine overdose in twenty twenty four. One approach favors tougher law enforcement.
Speaker 7: Which, by the way, everybody wishes nobody would, nobody would overdose, nobody would nobody would have a drug that's laced with something that they weren't expecting.
Speaker 1: Like everybody wishes for that. We accept the dangerous realities of drug use and trying to reduce the risks. And they said the Festival Code of Conduct prohibits illegal substances, but the organizers know people are going to use drugs anyway. The Festival's chief executive officers said he saw no contradiction here. Harm reduction isn't about approving of drug use. It's just making sure that if people want to be safe with their drug use, will help them.
Speaker 2: So when you go into like one of these little labs.
Speaker 1: So I saw the thing set up, don't think of a doctor's office. The one woman that I saw is wearing a bikini top. But I don't want to minimize that either. She knows what she's doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is a festival.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she's going to be out there for four days. Also, So not only will they test.
Speaker 4: Whatever you bought, so they'll test anything. Yes, as far as I know, no drug or substance off limits.
Speaker 1: As far as I listen, I know they're testing LSD.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we bought it.
Speaker 1: The now here we Go had a boy, had a boy the no no, So like we know we know they're testing LSD, we know they're testing ketamine. We know they're testing molly. We know that they're testing cocaine. So what I can't imagine what would be off limits? And while they're testing it, they are also talking to people and saying, listen, do you have experience with this?
Speaker 2: Like have you been?
Speaker 1: And so these the friends, these these friends that purchased the ketamine told the person never done it, and the woman that they went to see walked them through what the expectation should be so that it's not a case of you hear this with gummies all the time. Somebody who's just trying gummies early on where it's like, hey, I tried it. It's been ten minutes, I don't I don't feel anything, and next thing you know, they eat a handful and an hour later they they don't even they can't even see their bodies. So they're like, listen, this is going to take a little bit.
Speaker 4: Do some people get the explanation and decide not to consume?
Speaker 2: They say do do do do they consume? They say no, they say yes.
Speaker 1: Now some people, some people, some people will get and go like you know what that is not wasn't expecting that that's not for me. They also said that there are some people that will.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: The other thing that you could get is almost like dispensers, so that if you if you were going to do cocaine, that they'll offer a couple of things a smaller like a way to say like I'm only going to do a small amount.
Speaker 3: Look at the line clean straws.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna snort the sign here, yeah, and there are there are.
Speaker 1: Some people there, and listen, I get it. There's some people who are very against this, and I may be on the wrong side.
Speaker 2: I think it's genius. I really do.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 4: Is the food dye for snorting?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry?
Speaker 4: What it says for the harm reduction supplies that you can get next to the testing tent, ear plugs okay, oh, I'm just in line, ear plugs, condoms, lube, dental dams, syringe barrels, shirt dosage, oh, food dye for GHB marking, straws for safer snorting right, and nasal spray bottles.
Speaker 2: So I believe.
Speaker 1: I believe like you understand the syringe thing, you understand the straws thing bottles for for snorty, I get that. The only thing I can think of is is the is the food?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: What is it? What did you say?
Speaker 4: What food die for gh marking?
Speaker 1: Is that to be able to like test with like almost like a what is that called the litmus test?
Speaker 2: Is that to be able to test myself? I don't know. Users.
Speaker 4: That's written Users is written add distinctive food coloring to personal supply so it is visibly distinct from water or clear mixers. Preventing accidental ingestion.
Speaker 1: So it's it's a do it yourself test kit, or if I'm dealing, I can also show look my stuff's clean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think it's testing anything. It's just it's to label.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, there you go, perfect. I like it.
Speaker 3: A pair of your plugs please, it's very loud.
Speaker 1: Am I am I wrong? I think this is genius. And again I understand where people would say.
Speaker 2: Stupid is.
Speaker 4: Do they put any numbers, uh to how many people maybe come to this festival with no intent.
Speaker 1: Of partaking and then end up doing And then I don't know what those numbers are. I don't know what those numbers are. But here's what I could promise you. That happens at every festival. Yeah that's true, that happens at every festival.
Speaker 4: But you just may feel more comfortable here with all of these levels of protection.
Speaker 2: But if you were going to be I wasn't going to do anything. But now I am. Yeah, oh one hundred percent, one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Let's get caught up in the atmosphere and right you.
Speaker 4: Can show up look at the river that runs through the festival grounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look at Elliott there. I am the no.
Speaker 1: No, But but like think about it, I would never I would never pick a festival, pick any festival. I wouldn't show up in Chicago and go to Lallapaloo's and go, hey, you know what, here's something I've never done before snort cocaine this weekend. But I can promise you there's somebody who did. Somebody showed up at Lollapalooza this weekend who's never done, who's never done cocaine before, and was like and started getting into it and was going to do it.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't you rather be able to test it? I would?
Speaker 4: No, You're definitely right. I can't say if I can't say that's the mindset of everybody. But if it was me, yes.
Speaker 1: If it was me, yes, I would almost look at it and go, why wouldn't I test it? If I just bought it from somebody and there's no way, and especially especially as times have changed, There was a time. There was a time and maybe maybe it's twofold, maybe it was just young and dumb where.
Speaker 2: I didn't care.
Speaker 1: The idea of getting something tested never crossed mind, and the idea that it was going to be laced with something never crossed my mind.
Speaker 2: So maybe that's just young and dumb.
Speaker 1: But also back then it wasn't as big as a problem of everything getting laced yeah yeah, and everything being either more potent than it's advertised, cut with so many different things. So it wasn't It wasn't as it didn't happen as often, or it certainly wasn't known about as often.
Speaker 2: So maybe it's a combination of the two.
Speaker 1: But if I rolled into Lollapalooza last weekend it was like, hey, you know what, why not?
Speaker 2: And I had the the it would scare me, It really would.
Speaker 4: Garth writes. I don't know if this is true or not, but Garth says the ear plug is can we pre for psychedelics that make you hypersensitive?
Speaker 3: Oh? To sounds? Oh that's a good at a very loud festival.
Speaker 2: I would believe.
Speaker 9: That range Is this all about the festival?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: I think this the song predates the festival?
Speaker 4: Right? So isn't isn't Shambala? Isn't it like any Maybe a Buddhist or not?
Speaker 2: Probably misreligion did do not?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: It is it?
Speaker 4: A mythical hidden kingdom in Tibetan Buddhist tradition.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know we've.
Speaker 4: Had a twenty minute discussion a drugs. Oh god, I don't want to lose my woke status.
Speaker 2: Wait, so am I? Am I pronouncing it wrong? It's not shambalad sham bealag.
Speaker 4: That's how Three Dog Nights said it.
Speaker 2: All right, I believe Jimmy Greenspoon. Yep, I believe Jimmy Greenspoon probably did some drugs.
Speaker 4: Oh, he would support this.
Speaker 2: Where am I going? Kristen Line one, Hi Joy.
Speaker 9: At the morning?
Speaker 8: Hello? Who's this?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 2: Yes, this is Elliot. Who's this?
Speaker 8: This is? This is Matt and Burke.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir. What can I do for you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 8: Nothing? I was just calling in to talk to you about testing drugs. Dance Safe has been around since nineteen ninety eight testing drugs. I tested some in Detroit in twenty thirteen at the Movement Festival.
Speaker 2: Okay, so back up for a second. What the what what did what company? Did you say?
Speaker 8: It's a nonprofit called Dance Safe. They've been around since about nineteen ninety eight. I've been into the rave culture in DC since about the mid nineties, and like I helped promote for buzz and stuff like testing drugs has been around for a while actually for the exact reasons you said.
Speaker 1: But is this is this a case where so like Dance Safe, like you said, like you got something tested in Detroit or whatever it was.
Speaker 2: They would show up and listen. I think it's great.
Speaker 1: Is the difference between that and then the Shambala festival is that this one is like for Shambala, it's it's sanctioned through the festival and the government with Dance Safe, just just like I don't want to say a bunch of volunteers showing up trying to do a good thing, but where the festival is saying no, no, no, we are going to offer this.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, no, You're absolutely correct. I think because in British Columbia they're a little bit more open about use and stuff that they actually want to make it safe. Here in the US, we passed the RAVAC, so it's really hard for like promoters and organizers to help people facilitate their fun is the best way I can put it. Any Way, you associate or help somebody get a illegal substance at a festival or a club, now you're associated by guilt in America. So I'm assuming the British Columbia government, who is pretty open with drug use and things like that, want to make the festival and dancing a little safer.
Speaker 2: So right, well, and that kind.
Speaker 1: Of goes back to what they're saying that, like nobody at the festival is encouraging anybody to do drugs, and they are saying it's it's it is illegal, like you, you are not to do that. But we're also not going to put our head in the sand and pretend that it doesn't exist and it's not going on.
Speaker 8: Truly absolutely correct, because there's somebody that's been partying, raving and just partied last weekend at Bertha to see DC. It still happens to this day in twenty twenty six. It's no different than it was thirty years ago, So why don't we make it safe? Why don't we make it accessible?
Speaker 2: And the other thing, the other thing that I don't want to do.
Speaker 1: And I understand that you're part of the rave culture, right and that's fine, No, No, I have no problem with that.
Speaker 2: I just the other thing that I would say is I don't want it.
Speaker 1: I don't want this this program, if you will, or whatever you call it, to just be associated with the a rave scene or a rave festival, because absolutely, it doesn't just happen at rave festivals in the Resolutely, it's everywhere you.
Speaker 2: Could go to.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you can go to a country festival, a rock festival.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 1: I can promise you it's all being done.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, I completely agree with you there, there's not there's there's not an instant that people aren't trying to have a good time, So why don't we try and make it as safe as possible for people?
Speaker 2: But I do like.
Speaker 1: That, and listen, I do, even though I don't agree with the view of being against it, I understand their point.
Speaker 2: I really do.
Speaker 1: So it's not like I'm saying, like, oh, they're stupid and they're dumb. I understand their point. I would just I would just rather go this way.
Speaker 2: I like.
Speaker 1: I like them saying that that whole harm reduction angle, I really do.
Speaker 8: I agree with you completely right there, Elliott. The harm reduction is what it is is. I completely agree to I understand their point of view. You know, nobody wants drunk drivers, but we need a program to reduce the harm because we know people are going to go out and drink. Right, It's the same principle with drugs, So yeah, I agree with you completely.
Speaker 2: All right, did you all see the rave?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'll see you there. Have a great day class.
Speaker 2: Later, dude.
Speaker 4: Yes, Tyler from Instagram. The last festival I went to, there were party favorite dealers but also former drug dealers who were selling fentanyl testers. So I guess the strips right, two people at the At the festival, they also had some sort of lab where you could get items tested on site. This is better, I guess, back in my day than where the only form of testing was them giving you a sample. Right there as a small bumper line of coke.
Speaker 1: Which, by the way, we were always warned against. We were always warned against that.
Speaker 4: What the taste tests.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the person who would let you sample a little bit, because that's not ultimately what you're getting. Like, you know what that reminds me of? You know what that reminds me of. I'll take it completely away from the drug scene. The scam that went around forever, and I think Beviloqua got wrapped up in it where it was gold shavings and they were like, we'll sell you a gold bar, go test the shavings and you go test the shavings at like a gold dealer, and you come back and go, well, these are legit.
Speaker 3: And then and they would.
Speaker 1: Scrape a little bit off like they were like putting parmesan cheese on your pasta.
Speaker 2: But then you would get a bogus gold brick. Same thing.
Speaker 1: It'd be like, here, test some of my cocaine. And then you test and you're like, oh, this is legit, and that's not what you end up with. I don't I'm not a huge fan of but she's right back in the day that you would you would get that all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, here you want to sample it.
Speaker 4: I think the listeners saying this is certainly better than that, oh, way better than that. And then another DM that says these groups maybe setup festivals that offer the the fentanyl testing strips for free. I definitely researched this before my kid went into electric forest.
Speaker 2: I will say this, and I.
Speaker 1: Can applaud the people that are I don't like that they're selling the strips, but I get it, and I get that they're trying to help. I do like going the step further, Like listen, I could show a bitt A festival and say I'm selling strips. I don't know the first thing about selling strips. I don't know the first thing about it. Right, that lab does.
Speaker 2: Like I like, I just I like this security.
Speaker 1: Now there are also maybe people that will think and maybe this is the other problem of would somebody be afraid to approach the lab and thinking like, oh great, now they know.
Speaker 2: Now they know.
Speaker 3: There's a cop waiting for me somewhere.
Speaker 1: I've got i've got LSD on me, I've got ketamine on me, I've got Molly on me. I'm gonna walk away, and some undercover guys gonna grab me.
Speaker 4: Especially when you're telling concertgoers it's illegal.
Speaker 1: Right, So maybe that does prevent some people. And by the way, in that lab, it's not just the lab that they.
Speaker 4: Have, so they're doing more than just test strips.
Speaker 1: Well no, but but I told you, they're also doing like like they're talking to people, right, They're having conversations with people about I know you're going to do this, but be smart. Here's how ketamine works in your system. Here's how you've never done LSD. Here's how it's going to work in your system. They also have a twelve bed field hospital run by an emergency room doctor staff by thirty physicians, roaming teams of harm reduction counselors, and an area called the Sanctuary with fifty hammocks and mattresses for people who were having bad trips and are find themselves in harm's way.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Tyler's using for the first time that. Now that we're at no I could walk about. You know, they talked to They were talking to somebody whose buddy got jacked up at the show. I got totally messed up, right, and climbed up on top of something and tried to jump from one thing to another, broke his foot, and they were they didn't know he's having a he's having a bad moment. I should take him and just lay him down at this sanctuary area so they'll be safe for a couple hours.
Speaker 4: A follow up, duh, Elliott l L. You make sure the sample you got came out of the bag that you were buying, right.
Speaker 2: And you know who tried that once? I did, and it wasn't the same.
Speaker 4: A sleight of hand.
Speaker 1: I okay, well there, their hand was better than mine.
Speaker 2: Now I can tell you, I can tell you exactly where it was.
Speaker 1: Where it was right outside of Madison Square Garden for a Grateful Dead show and no, no, and I did. I ended up buying weed from some guy for the show and he was like, no, I'll give you a sample, and I did, and ended up buying weed some lace with cocaine. It was a horrible night. Well, let me rephrase, it was a horrible morning. The night was great, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was Victor Reza, uh, the dealer and with slight a hand.
Speaker 4: Let's not
Speaker 2: A magician, A magician, A magician