Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. Now, don't be alarmed when you don't see Freddie Freeman or Mookie Bets or Max Munsey and the Dodgers starting lineup this weekend against the Angels and the Padres. Dave Roberts said, there is no injury issues. We have seen those guys out here going back to the beginning of the week taking batting practice, participating in life batting practice as well, but are going to slow play when they get into games. These are veteran guys. Munsey is thirty five, Freddie Freeman is thirty six, Mookie Bets is thirty two going on thirty three. They have played back to back World Series Championships, so no need to force these guys into lineups early in spring, which means the Dodgers are going to give a lot of their young players some opportunities to leave an impression and in the case of Alton Rushing, get a lot of reps behind Will Smith, who is going to leave for the World Baseball Classic as part of Team USA's team, but also get some time at first base to give Freddie Freeman days off, and also early on you know, get him off his feet and not start into game. So Dalton Rushing is going to have a runway to get a rhythm for his season, and it feels like he has a better understanding of what to expect and what is expected of him from the Dodgers. Here's our conversation with the very gregarious Dalton Rushing Rush. Great to see you, and man, you got a real legit, big league locker, a guy that has made, the guy that has arrived.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good to be here. Good to see you, David, missed you. I don't like your nipples as much as Kik, but it's good to see you and looking forward to another World Series.
Speaker 1: I wore a jacket. A fan came up to me asked me about my nipples. I said, hey, I got to cover up in the spring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's cold out here early in the morning, isn't it. David, I like that la Weather.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, Hey, I could definitely feel the vibe the energy from you. You are so excited to get this season going. What's it like to have the faith, the backup of the organization to believe in what you can do for them this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think I think that's the difference. This year. I got a feel of what the big moments kind of feel like. There at the end of the year, I had a couple of big moments, and being able to know what it feels like in that moment is kind of the reason you want to get back out there. The grind of a full season, the ups, the downs. Obviously you look back at last year was a lot of things that I could look on a downside, But I personally think that I learned a lot through those tough times, wherever stretch it was in the year, And I think that's what excites me this year is because it's one thing throughout my whole career. It's if I have a down, down month, whatever it is, I bounce back really well.
Speaker 1: It wasn't a normal year. I would imagine since high school you've played every day, you've been the guy, knowing the role, knowing how to prepare yourself for the role. Do you feel like it has giving you a head start coming into this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's given me a head start. And I think the other side of that is I'm going to be able to show the production at an early time, show what I can do the difference I can make in the box, and then I think that you kind of you push all your chips to the middle of the table there. And I've said it in the past, I don't care where I play, what my role is, as long as I play baseball. And that's I think that's what I'm most excited about this year is I can really focus on, hey, how many games can this team win? But also how many games can I get on the field and help this team win.
Speaker 1: What did you learn about when you do get those opportunities after you know, backing up or getting a spot start, what did you learn how to approach your at bats.
Speaker 2: I've learned that situational hitting is your best friend, and those those situations, learning how to control the baseball, know where to hit the baseball and what situation, and that produces runs for your team. And I think if we can do that from a one to nine standpoint, it doesn't matter if you're an everyday player or if you play once a week, then we're gonna win a lot of baseball games. So we're gonna have a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I know you're a catcher at heart, and obviously you are a catcher on this ball club, but also we talked about this first base maybe in your future to get Freddie days off. I don't see a first basement's glove in your locker.
Speaker 2: There, it's in there. No, it's I've always wanted to keep that in my back pocket, regardless of where I'm at. And obviously, due to circumstances this year, if Freddie needs a day halfway through the year, if Freddie needs a day in the first month, whatever it is, I need to be that guy that they can kind of lean on to still have a left handed bat in the lineup and give Freddie's time off.
Speaker 1: So have you taken any ground balls and work with some infielders there yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've done some infield work. I try and just kind of incorporated in the routine as much as possible, so it kind of feels second nature and just like, hey, give me the glove, I'll go play it. And I actually had some a lot of experience in college there and early on in pro ball, so I've I've kind of got a little bit of a background in first base, but obviously I want to excel and grow as much as possible to be a guy like Freddie, you know, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Dalton Rushing is our guest. He has arrived. He's going to be a big part of the Dodgers three pete attempt in twenty twenty six. All right, let's put the catcher's gear back on. I've heard so much about Gavin Stone and River Ryan. Have you had a chance to catch any one of those guys so far?
Speaker 2: Early on? Yeah, I've got to catch both. And man, do we have a lot of pictures. It's not only are a lot of pitchers. We have a lot of pictures that can pitch for a really long time in this game. And I think that's the beauty of what this organization does. It builds it top to bottom, the strongest organization in baseball, strongest organization in sports. And yeah, they've both they've both looked fantastic. I mean, River explosive stuff, he's disgusting, He's around the zone, he establishes the strike zone early and it's it's almost everything you could ask for out of a pitcher. And Gavin as well. I mean, Gavin's got three plus pitches and the pitch ability is really there. He knows how to control the baseball. He knows how to control the game, And I think that's what I'm most excited to work with between the two of them, is their ability to know how to control the baseball and really navigate through seven innings.
Speaker 1: What's the difference for you catching bullpens for guys like that that are coming back trying to prove that they are back, compared to catching a bullpen for a glass Now or a Yamamoto.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think these some of these guys coming off injury, it's our job to one like, really make sure that one the throws clean, everything's coming out smooth. But at the same time, we need to we need to incorporate a little bit of the competitive edge. We need to we need to get these guys filling like they're throwing in the fifth, sixth, seventh inning of a game in Dodger Stadium against Diamondbacks the padres Like. We have to make them feel his game ready with all the nerves and everything is possible before the season hits, because obviously it's going to be a little bit of a different fill with fifty thousand there.
Speaker 1: Hey, speaking of edge, you got edge. You got a lot of emotion when you play. Have you learned how to play with that? And how to control it at times when you need to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think. I think last year I learned quick it's you control it as much as you can, but you don't lose it. Some of the best players I've ever watched, some of the best players that I get to play with every single day here, they hold this internal smoke, this internal heat that they know how to use it. They know when to use it and when the time is to use it. And I think me being the younger guy on the team and being able to see the other guys and how they go about their business. There's a time and a place to show emotion, there's a time and a place to say nothing. And I think that's what I'm most excited about this year, is to be able to show everyone the maturity and be the guy that can run the field from behind the play.
Speaker 1: Dalton Russian's got the entire package. First day ever talked to him, understood the pitcher catcher relationship. He's got edge, he wants to compete, he wants to win, and certainly the time is now. Thanks a lot for the time. Great to see your smile.
Speaker 2: Perfect, Thanks David. Good to see you