Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. The Freeway series has shifted scenes to Dodgers Stadium and a man that made himself feel at home in Anaheim like he has all spring long. Is my guy, James Tibbs, the third, A proud Florida State seminole.
Speaker 2: La loves him now, thanks a lot for.
Speaker 3: The time, Tibbs absolutely, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Hey, over spring training, you got the greatest compliment from a former Dodger. His name was Andre Ethier, and you know what he said, James Tibbs has Ethier type of edge.
Speaker 3: Cool. Yeah, that's really cool. That's that means a lot. It's a huge compliment come from him. I love it.
Speaker 2: How much does edge play into you performing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I just I just try to keep the chip on my shoulder little bit, just play like you know, I don't I haven't.
Speaker 3: I don't deserve anything. I got to earn it all.
Speaker 4: I mean at the end of the day, like every day's a new day and trying to, you know, come out there and give him my best and see what happens.
Speaker 1: James, we talked at the beginning of spring training. You hadn't played a single game, but it seemed like you had an awareness of who you were.
Speaker 2: What do you make of the results you got this spring?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's just you know, a testament to the process and continue to put in work and find ways to get better each and every day. And you know, I didn't have any expectation coming in the spring. Just come out here and compete and see what happens. And you know, try to get as comfortable as I can around the guys and get to know them, get to learn from them, and so the success on the field is just a plus.
Speaker 1: I know, this is professional sports, it's not little league. You don't need somebody to say, hey, great job. But have you gotten feedback from Dave Roberts or the Dodgers this spring?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I just keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 4: I mean, we love what you do and and we love how you compete and you play hard, and yeah, for me, that's that's all I can control.
Speaker 3: So trying to control the control bills.
Speaker 4: And continuing to show I can do that and progress and wait and in places that I need to progress, and just continue to do what I do.
Speaker 1: It feels like you and her heart have been together since day one. What's it like to be in the same lineup every spring game, to have lockers next to each other. You always need that guy to push the other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's great.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's in a fantastic human being and a great guy, and he's been a good friend and a good brother to me, as you know, coming over here from Boston and just loved it and enjoyed it and we kind of helped each other out and push each other. So it's been a great process.
Speaker 1: Has that been the specialness of this spring and just being with him?
Speaker 2: How much do you guys push each other?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we pushed the other every day. I mean, I think both of us are trying to compete. We're both trying to get better, and you know, it's almost like we're just trying to out play each other a little bit of each and every day.
Speaker 3: So it's it's a lot. It's a fun, you know, little rivalry in a great way, and we.
Speaker 4: Just, you know, we both push each other, and I think at the end of the day, that's, you know, all you can ask for. And so to have him and just to watch how he how he does his business every day, it's been really cool to watch. So I'm so proud of him and proud to be alongside him, and you know, I can't wait to see him, you know this year.
Speaker 1: What about some of the salties of being in the same outfield with him? You know each other, so, well, what's the communication like between you two?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty good.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, we kind of have an idea what we're doing, idea, you know what we can cover and what we can't cover, and just continue to work together. And you know, we kind of kind of just know what each other are trying to do and what we want to do, and so it helps for sure.
Speaker 3: It helps chemistry and then the ability to track down.
Speaker 2: Five balls every RBI you love.
Speaker 1: But how sweet has it been this spring where you're driving in Zach Gerhart and you see him motoring around from first to third, from first to home. How sweet is that that he's scoring on some of your extra base hits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's awesome.
Speaker 4: I think the longer I haven't a bat, the more more likely he's in scoring positions.
Speaker 3: So it's been fun. I've enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Hey, James, obviously, Cactus League is special. Wearing the Dodger uniform special. But to be at a big league stadium last night in Anaheim, forty five thousand fans were there. What was it like for you to be on that stage?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, I remember going to an Angels game when I was eight years old, right, and sitting with my dad and hanging out and hoping one dad'd be.
Speaker 3: In that place. And so same thing goes for.
Speaker 4: Here being in a Dodger stadium. You know, I was here to you know, when I was eight. So it's just a surreal experience. And as a guy that you know, grew up loving baseball and wanted to be in baseball, just to be a part of this is a dream come true for me.
Speaker 1: So you're saying a Georgia kid found his way to Dodger Stadium eight years old.
Speaker 3: It was a trip.
Speaker 4: My dad and I played a trip and uh, you know, he gave us a couple couple of ages and said, hey, come out, you know what trip do you want to do for this and this and this? And so did a New York trip and did a uh, did an LA trip. So I went to San Diego, went to Anaheim, and went to LA and it was a fantastic experience to be out here.
Speaker 1: All right, age me who was on the Dodgers when eight year old TIBs was here.
Speaker 3: Matt Camp, Andre Thier, Clint Kershaw. Oh yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: Actually we saw the Padres play the Giants and Barry Zito pitch in his last year. So that's kind of a cool memory of mine. But other than that, I can't remember too well.
Speaker 1: So that must have been a great experience to have Ethier not only compliment you what he said, but actually work with you for a week out there and the other outfielders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 4: I mean absolutely, I you know, growing up watching baseball and just being a fan of baseball, it was fun to watch and at the end of the day, like you know, you you hope to be that guy one day, right, And so for me to experience that firsthand and get to talk to them and you know, pick their brains as well as.
Speaker 3: You know, just knowing that, you know, I grew up a this cool experience.
Speaker 1: I identify with guys like youtubs. I broadcast with a chip on my shoulder. I got edge every night on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I just try to go about the same way every day, all.
Speaker 2: Right, thanks a lot for the time. Congratulations, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.