Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on a five seventy LA Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: While it's the longest running afternoon sports show in the city.
Speaker 3: No congratulations necessary. All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is Petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros Papadakas terrible person, He's the worst.
Speaker 3: And Matt money Smith.
Speaker 1: The pipes, the pipes, the pie.
Speaker 3: Don't miss an episode. We're with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, follow the petros in Money Show wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros Papadacus and Matt money Smith, two different minds. The same world is a hell and a heaven.
Speaker 2: Coms Metros Money five seventy LA Sports. This is our two or on a flex alert. It is Dodger Baseball in the Galpin Motors Broadcast Booth A five eight pm First Pitch, yoshinob we have Amoto Freddy Peralta. David Vesse already joined us about a half hour ago of Rockus First Hour, Good Time. It's a good grab ass in time with some great baseball information from David Vessey, who shared with us what was on that little card that Blake Snell keeps looking at.
Speaker 1: I said it was The Wasteland by T. S. Eliott and you were right, Yeah, who know? Absolutely the Vast eight confirmed it. Do you want to verify that? It's the end of the podcast. It's real surprise. A lot of people think that it is like the Paradise Lost as far as epic poetry of the twentieth century. So why wouldn't Blake Snell have that. I know for a fact that Don Larson had John Milton's Paradise Lost. He had the Milton in his pocket, so it makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: I heard it was Whirlwind Pyramid by the doc.
Speaker 1: Now you know, don't you want to don't you try like a whirlwind Pyramid. Well, we're lucky, thank you to be together. We gave away some stuff from Hammer and Nails. We talked about broadcasting, and we talked about baseball, and we talked light to David Vass and it's been great. In the next segment, we will do a top story of the Day, and just to keep the continuity continue, we will do a dead and a live guy Birthday of the Day. Tomorrow's show starts at three. There's a clipper pregame show, so it won't be a five hours, four hour show. It's very rarely a five hour show. But we will do a three hour show tomorrow from three to six.
Speaker 2: Going into Clippers Basket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then we will gurney Tim Kates out of here, hang an Ivy and somehow get him ready again because Fday games right because of scam, starts at six am and goes to nine. I know for a fact that Tim Kates also has to record the Masters and Coaching podcast this week as well.
Speaker 3: Episode eighty three Guys, Episode eight.
Speaker 1: Brought to you by Concordia University Irvine Masters and Coaching.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Oh it's fun effect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're three fun fact. What are several Olympic athletes, form NFL players, and many of the best college and high school coaches across the nation have in common? They are graduates and current students at Concordia University of Irvine's Masters and Coaching and Athletics Administration program. Find out more at CUI dot edu slash coaching.
Speaker 1: You know that. And I think he's got a golf coach on, so you're not gonna want to miss this.
Speaker 2: Getomous that you know what golf. People need Lipbom Carmex Wow if you're outside. Lip Bom created on a stovetop by Alfred Woolberg and Milwaukee in nineteen thirty seven as a home remedy for his cold source. It took until nineteen fifty seven before he stopped selling it out of the trunk of his car and opened a proper facility. And then it took until nineteen seventy three before they had an actual assembly line and expanded beyond local markets in Wisconsin and today being one of the most popular brands of lipbumb still own and operated by that same family a about one hundred people.
Speaker 1: I heard that it was a Latino gentleman in his automobile that invented car. I get it.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: His words the word of the day, and his word.
Speaker 1: Of the day is flooded out. UCLA is cool practice field that they just got finished. Its Spaulding field. It's underwater.
Speaker 2: Whoa see. That's why Tim didn't want you on the UCLA games because you think this is funny. That's your trust in your tone.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Gosh.
Speaker 1: Ben Boltch is the beat rider and he's literally in like a public war with the Athletic director, and I'm the bad guy. I bad guy. I am. Hey Ben, look what I did. Look at the Hires. I mean we are Look we've only had two hour shows today and yesterday. Tomorrow, when we have three hours and the Dodgers won't play, I'll get into the great victory that us. He had the walk on tailback, boothball, Notre Dame, we balloo ball, the fear of Lincoln Riley, and the playing of the Notre Dame rivalry.
Speaker 2: Oh what a statement he can make with a win change everything. Man really kind of would not afraid of Notre Dame eight and a half point dog You kidding me?
Speaker 1: You know, fifteen days ago Penn State was one of the best teams in the country, and now their coach has been fired and paid fifty million dollars.
Speaker 2: So that's it.
Speaker 1: Things can change quite quickly. Just like Ben Boltch came on our show the other day and said he didn't think you see, he's gonna win another game. They beat Penn.
Speaker 2: State, humiliated Michigan State, and went out.
Speaker 1: And humiliated Michigan State. But guys, Tim Skipper's the coach. I love Jerry Neweiseel, love what he's doing. Love that nol Mazoni's there helping him now. But Tim Skipper is the head coach. Tim Skipper's the guy that got rid of Tinosinceri. He's the guy that pushed out the decordinator. He's the guy that's got a great attitude that's changed the attitude of the team. Jerry's a big part of it.
Speaker 2: But let's not looks like a real quarterback.
Speaker 1: Now, let's not say like the cherry Newharsel arrow has begun. It's like, okay, he not the head coach.
Speaker 2: Well, it is a great day to be alive and be a bruin.
Speaker 3: Well, that goes without saying it's a great day to live to be a broad. That's a great day to be alive to be a broad.
Speaker 1: Not if you're on Spaulding Field, because even though they just got it fixed, it is completely underwater.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we forgot about the drainage.
Speaker 1: And Ben Boltch is like, oh, you practice on this, And then people are like, well, what I thought football was all weather. It's like, yeah, this is our practice field and we're trying to get ready for a game, you idiot.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe they'll be playing in a rain soaked environment. It's possible and then who's laughing out? We were ready because that field got flooded.
Speaker 1: If that field was that way and they were expected to play a game on it, the game might be delayed. It is really not playable either way. It's still a great day to be He's gonna be ankle deep in water, a broad with a bunch of mosquitoes around his legs. It's not a great day to be alive and be a bruin if you've got to practice on Spaulding. I think they're moving back to the drake.
Speaker 2: I know it's not beer and it's just water, but you know, get carpet to absorb a lot of water over and over again and probably gonna get kind of musty and moldy and mildewy. Our teams just okay at drainage they do. They all supposed to have drains and it's plastic. They're good, so it's plastic, you know, and you could get sand to try to absorb it. They might call the same. I mean, the fact that they keep celebrating in their locker room with dumping water, like hundreds of bottles of water on jare. Wouldn't the folks at East Lansing and be like, hey, guys, well I would say that, but I remember.
Speaker 1: When my USC football team won at Notre Dame in ninety seven and we used our helmets to collapse the ceiling and do about fifty thousand dollars in damage to the Notre Dame visiting locker room.
Speaker 2: So whatever, minu who paid for that chess team, John Robbins, thanks a lot. Now you forgot you. Ceiling's got so much money they don't even have.
Speaker 1: Yeah chance they're gonna chip them off. It's time of the.
Speaker 3: Number of the day.
Speaker 2: Remember the names too, two item combo Whole Foods today. I was going to do the sandwich line, but it was unmanned. He went to the sandwich Yeah, I had to leave the house because the power went out and the internet went down.
Speaker 1: The queen was the queen of sandwiches there.
Speaker 2: It was too early. I got over there about eleven am and.
Speaker 1: So I am the Queen of sandwiches.
Speaker 2: So I got a two autem combo ready to be reheated at the at the Whole Foods. Yeah, I committed a mortal office sin, and I want to apologize and publicly take responsibility for it because we love Michelle Cube over there at KFI, and she deserves better. Guy the sales guy, his name is Guy sales Guy Oscar, also at KFI. My apologies, I wasn't thinking when I purchased the Rosemary chicken breast Brussels sprout combo that needed to be reheated in microwave.
Speaker 1: You caused the Stinkaki did yesterday? I did.
Speaker 2: It was a real stink and everybody was upset, and I immediately took responsibility for it, and I'm sorry. I'm terribly sorry I did this, and I'm sorry it was It wasn't burnt popcorn, it wasn't fish, but it was probably a close third with the Brussels sprout. Should have got on the sandwich line, I know, but there was no one at the sandwich stand, and I was like, I stood there for about a minute and there was nobody coming around. All right, the queen would have told you to be paid two out of combo.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: I come and I ruined everything here. So I'm sorry, Michelle Cube. You deserve better than that.
Speaker 1: Michelle Cube was like, come see what's brewing? Come see what's I saw. Michelle Cube literally earlier today unload like eight boxes a ding do No. There was a nineteen there was a hostess drop Man, and you know she is the biggest Bonovie fan in the world, and no one told her about the iHeart event no way, and she is livid.
Speaker 2: I would be two.
Speaker 1: It's just sad. It's not cool, my favorite that's not cool. My two favorite bands, like contemporary bands are playing night at the Greek. Oh.
Speaker 2: I thought you're gonna say bon Jovi, no, well and Rat.
Speaker 1: But they're not. They're not. But the other two, uh my two faces is so sad at what I'm an emotional cripple. I am. My two favorite bands are playing tonight at the Greek and you got I can't even consider going p O d at who else? Kid Rock Good Charlotte Kid Rock Pod. I'm gonna shoot a bunch of twelves. Of course, come see what's book.
Speaker 3: This is the song of the day. Little Hot there, Katie, little hot, Yeah, just a little bit.
Speaker 4: It's a I like to use my voice junkle drum my Emiliana Torrini.
Speaker 3: Beautiful, well done, Katie, doing a great job. No, you're doing great.
Speaker 2: Fine, Hey sometimes it comes out hot.
Speaker 1: At least you don't make your voice louder than all of ours, even though you speak the least.
Speaker 2: That's microphone.
Speaker 3: I rehearsed this before I go in the year Katie.
Speaker 1: Wow, Now he's a storyteller. What can I say? We'll be right back on the Top Story of the Day. Spirit of Stories. Matt's gonna tell a story. We've made it even easier to take LA Sports with you this summer. Make AM five to seventy or your favorite AM five seventy LA Sports podcast, a preset on the iHeartRadio app using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto road Trip all summer with LA Sports. Welcome back, everybody. It's a two Edmano Tuesday and a Tired of the Lies Tuesday on the Petrosen Money Show. We are happy to be with you on AM II seventy LA Sports, Dave. We'll have Max Muncie on Tim Katz's Morongo Casino Resort and SPA pregame show coming up in a matter of moments, and we'll have the NLCS first pitch at five oh eight. But right now it's time for the Top Story of the day, the top story of this day.
Speaker 3: I should have listened.
Speaker 2: I wanna put it on you. We typically do these things where we say we should have.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yeah, you just said that again.
Speaker 1: We typically do these things where we say.
Speaker 2: No you, we say we.
Speaker 1: That's the way it works.
Speaker 3: It's a show. Yeah, I left it and we put it on ourselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I say it's the way it was. I say we when I'm giving us.
Speaker 3: Credit right here, I say it both ways.
Speaker 1: You just let's argue about this.
Speaker 2: For I was out there. I was out there busy with my what are we to make of the state of Blake? The opposing batting average incredible, but the walks, the limited innings, the record.
Speaker 1: None of which was information that I was even aware. I wanted to feel like he's the ace of the staff. But why am I supposed to feel like he's the ace of the staff with all these postseason numbers presenting themselves. That's all I wanted to say to Dave Assay at the start of the playoffs, when we were in our suite prior to the first pitch against the Red he started through twenty one innings. Now it is apparent, it is obvious, like, how could you be so stupid? I did think obvious. I did think about that, But I was watching Snell just like fucking act like it wasn't even like, it wasn't even a big deal that he he faced the minimum, And and then I thought back to being in this suite, and You're like, I want to push back, Dave.
Speaker 2: The biggest bargain on the free agent market was the check they wrote that pretty good, it is incredible, fifty two million dollars they wrote a check the day they signed Blake Snell. They handed him that and as signing bonus to help lure him here on that five year, one eighty two million dollars deal thirty six and a half per You.
Speaker 1: Could have handed me a prep sheet before you did that story and said, here's the numbers. Look at his whip, look at this, look at that, and I still would have known what you were talking like. I still would have had no idea what you meant. I can't well, I can't take this cross like baseball a sort of numbers. Can't walk this up to the bloody Hill of Calvary Matt He is up there. He's one of the highest paid pitchers in the game, and he was hurt for most of the season. But when you're the Dodgers, and this is where the Dodgers separate from pretty much every other team in baseball you can afford to pay a guy that much money have him miss four fifths of the season as the ace of damn near any other teams staff in baseball, and the guys behind him aren't giving you close to what Snell is. But on the Dodgers, if at least some of them are healthy, it doesn't matter. Yamamoto, Glass, now Otani, this season, Kershaw. They were all there to pick up the slack at different times, allowing Snell to sit on the sidelines and wait, resting his arm. The shine on the game's biggest stage, something the only thing that has eluded him for different reasons in his career, some out of his control, as David vest say, walking in like a rooster.
Speaker 3: Let us know, help me walk in like a rooster? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Seven inning, Uh it is wild. That's Snell, who is now thirty two. This is not like a twenty eight year old who just figured it out in his fourth year, but thirty two. At thirty two, two cy youngs on his resume, he is going to pitch his greatest game ever and not walk a guy. Snell has a ten point two percent walk rate this season. That is bottom quarter in baseball, and he faces the minimum through eight, not a single walk, only one hit. Blake Snell had a one two six whip. As you just said, Pete, I could put that in front of you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't even know what I mean. Over one walker hit archaeologists like Indiana Jones.
Speaker 2: And he does that again for the third time a museum. He has now allowed two hits in his last two starts, and again they needed every last one of those outs in those innings to get the win.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: The only curious thing about it was why not set him out for the ninth I'm not saying it was the wrong guest.
Speaker 1: They didn't even ask No Roberts. They didn't even ask him in the media why they didn't send it.
Speaker 2: They just said, what's wrong with Roki? I think that's because everybody was like, oh, yeah, well, Roki Susaki's been unhittable three innings in Game four clincher, as good at pitching performance as we've seen anyone this season.
Speaker 1: Now his confidence is destroyed.
Speaker 2: Way to go, So why push Snell?
Speaker 1: Somebody better feed him some plankton and krill to get him going again.
Speaker 3: They're playing the long game with Snell.
Speaker 4: Zillah.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's got to make another start this series, and he'll ask to be making two in the world series if they make it there, which after last night's I guess, feels pretty realistic. But again, and this is where the old man in me comes out. Oh you're gonna You're gonna defend. It's just you're gonna do it. It's just like see where you weren't really gonna apologize, were you?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm saying Don Larson did it in nineteen fifty six. Nineteen fifty six, seventy years ago. Was the last time someone did what Snell did last night? Face the minimum through eight in and you don't want to send him back out there to try to get twenty seven guys up twenty seven guys down.
Speaker 1: I'm not a baseball manager. I am a radio host. And what I would have done is ask Dave Roberts, like if we're gonna ask Blake Snell, like, hey, do you want to go back in? Why didn't anybody ask Dave Roberts? Why you know I always want more for you? Did you want more for yourself? Did you ever think about pushing back on Dave taking you out there? Not trust him.
Speaker 2: He knows how bad I want it, but he's the manager of that is team, so we're gonna trust him and keep going. Class It's a classy move there, Blake Snell, because especially after the second run came through the first pitcher in postseason baseball history with ten or more strikeouts.
Speaker 3: Well, there was some one or no hits and no walks.
Speaker 1: There was some confusion about the rules. I think Dave Roberts thought he could put Snell back in after Sasaki was like, it's like, you don't.
Speaker 2: You don't really, we don't want to go for twenty seven in this We're not going to chase that with a two nothing leader.
Speaker 1: He was pretty comfortable out there.
Speaker 2: He is the first pitcher in postseason history with multiple outings of six plus innings and one or no hits allowed in a single postseason. The start was sublime. In this current era of pitching, where guys are chasing v low one hundred miles an hour high nineties, Snell is out there doing it with a change up over and over and over. That's clocking in between eighty two and eighty six miles an hours. A matter of fact, he threw all of four fastballs four in the sixth, seventh and eighth inning. So again selfishly, we can't get twenty seven outs by the same guy, and judging on how that ninth inning went, I think that was those proverbial baseball gods sae season high pitch count one hundred and twelve. He's only at one hundred and three, still got nine to get there, and you would assume in the postseason, with all those changes up and curves, probably going to be able to get there. Last night the other big story, and by the way, I guess, if you want a positive, how about Blake trying and I guess getting back on track, getting a guy to chase some high heat. We saw he didn't lose, he didn't lose, Dodgers won Rokie. Not sure what happened to one hundred and one and one hundred and two, but it became ninety six and ninety seven again with some control issues. They'll need a good one from Yamamoto tonight. I told you the lack of Plankton and krills in Milwaukee. Couldn't find it last night, though, perhaps the bigger story. The biggest story is now, I think from the baseball side of things, But the talking head shows in the morning. The biggest story is one of the craziest plays we've seen in a long time in any sport. Uh the double play, the most unlikely double play via force out. And some say, oh, maybe this is the karma for the way they won Game four, the fact that a wacky play after extra innings is what punched their ticket to the NLCS. Had the Brewers won, would it be a fluke play that would derail a win after Blake Snell pitched an absolute gem. So a lot of people are pointing the finger at Tao and saying he's got to know better.
Speaker 1: Well, every game he seems to do something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so I guess the one side of that is okay, Well, none of us knew the rule, but he is a professional baseball player and he should probably know the rules of the game that he plays.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I mean football is different, but you'd be shocked, yeah, at the lack of people that actually know the rules, the actual rules of football in the broadcast booth too.
Speaker 2: I mean snapped up Donovan mc dad pretty bad back in the day when he was not aware, didn't know, didn't know, I had no idea could end the time.
Speaker 1: Why should he just called the play that they could, you know, run the play they call whatever.
Speaker 2: So last night after the force out, you know Tao and I believe Dave Roberts called it a brain fart or a brain crank MP bray, he did call it a brain fart. Okay, So Dave Roberts called it a brain fart that Tao knows the rules the fat But then on the morning talk shows, you got part of the Dodgers' broadcast team through the regular season, also has a job over there at the Evil four letter.
Speaker 1: She gets a.
Speaker 2: She gets a ring World Series rang if they win. Regardless of what her projection is of how the Dodgers are gonna fare in the postseason, We're gonna withhold this ring because of what you said. You picked the pot race to win the divisional round. Here is Jessica Mendoza. I wouldn't say castigating. I would say calling out Taoe for his lack of knowledge of the rules.
Speaker 5: Not knowing the rules. I granted you had to see that it hit the wall. The wall was the key here.
Speaker 1: But let's be real, Tail, what's happening gets down at home?
Speaker 2: A zero zero game at this point, Yeah, the wall was not the key is the key to her saying, what's wrong, Tao, Why don't you know the rules?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Because it's something that if you watch Dodger Baseball or listen to Dodger Baseball with Rick Monday, who knows the rules better than anybody in the history of the world, you would have remembered a contest against the Mets in which a tag was made the moment a ball was bobbled but hit the mitt, and you learned that as soon as a ball hits a player's mit, you can then tag up, regardless of how long it takes them to secure that catch. So, standing on third, Munsey shoots a freaking rocket four hundred feet into center field. The moment he saw it hit his mit is when he should have taken off for home forced player tag out, be damned, which is why you probably shouldn't call him out by insisting that the wall was the key on.
Speaker 5: Not knowing the rules down. Granted, you had to see that it hit the wall.
Speaker 3: The wall was the.
Speaker 5: Key here, but let's be real, Tawn, what's happening gets a zero zero game at this point.
Speaker 1: It's not like you know she was right in the moment though, just like the broadcast that was this morning. Oh so she already so she had like a good twelve to fifteen hours to figure it out. Yeah, that it turned into a hit the moment, good take, bounced off his mit and hit the wall. It then becomes a live ball. He cannot secure it for an out. It's essentially like a ground ball and tail not at fault for not knowing that it hit the wall. He is at fault for not realizing he should have just tagged up the moment he saw it hit the guy's mit and.
Speaker 4: Bad base running at third you've got to tag and for some reason, to ask her her Nanez was not tagging on the ball. The ball went off the glove, then it hit the fence and came down.
Speaker 2: After you the call in the field, the force out at home plate is confirmed, the runner is out, confirmed on the runner a third base when the horse out is out.
Speaker 3: Exactly what I said, terrible, Basically, it's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Rick he had it. TBS didn't have it. Hell, Mendoza didn't have it twelve hours later. But Rick had it in the moment. And that's why you should be listening to these games on the radio with Nelly and Moe and Tim Kaitz and David Vassay because of access to Blake Snell showing class.
Speaker 1: I mean, last night, Blake Snell said to David Vassay that he was up all night, uh, thinking about how to approach these hitters. And then Vassay went to the wife, missus Snell Zilla, and she said, I think that was asleep snoring all night, exactly what I.
Speaker 2: Said, Exactly what I said. Congratulations to Blake Snell on making playoff history would have just been nice had he been able to add those three more outs and gone twenty seven up, twenty seven down. And I guess the other lesson to takeaway is maybe if you're going to talk about something twelve hours later, you're gonna call somebody out for not knowing the rules.
Speaker 1: Hey maybe no the rules, but let's be real tal Hello PMS listener, did you know Am five seventy LA Sports has a wide range of LA Sports podcasts. There's Rogan and Ronde, that one is my favorite, Dodger Talk with David Vasse, the Dodger Podcast of Record, Clipper Talk Without a Musk, follow us all, and many more. Just go to AM five seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio app while we're getting the Game two mercifully coming to an and is the one and only Petro sand Money Show tonight the NLCS here on AM five seventy LA Sports Yobo. I'm a moto versus Freddy Peralta. That's the pitching matchup. We've discussed it last night. Is a memory. People still figuring out the rules. I knew it. I knew it all along. I can't do that. I saw it. When I saw rules, I was like, Oh, you can't triple stamp a double stamp, Lloyd, you can't do that. And then I was like, oh, that's right, And I was like, that's not part of the rule book right there. That's just bad base running bbd b b BBB. So I knew what was in the house. I didn't say it to him. There's no witnesses, Matt, but you just have to take my word for it, Okay, I just didn't know you you had some witnesses, and albeit not very reliable one. Definitely you know. But me, on the other hand, you're just gonna have to take my word for it.
Speaker 5: Knowing the rules, granted you had to see that it hit the wall the way here.
Speaker 1: What that's not the key?
Speaker 2: Wall is not the key?
Speaker 1: What is the key? The key? Master freaking maranas? All right, we're gonna get to the game. Tim Tate's got Marongo casino, Dodgers on deck. The Dodgers are up one game. Feeling confident, feeling tough despite continuing bullpen issues. It is time for the dead guy.
Speaker 2: Birthday of the day, Oh kids, happy would have been one night to the greatest surgeon general to ever hold the post, My Surgeon General, Doctor Charles Everett Coop.
Speaker 1: Is there any other surgeon general that anybody remembers other than Coop? No? Oh, he would make appearance. He was a stuck He would make appearances on the Sunday Morning comics in Bloom County.
Speaker 2: Look at all Rabbinical shocked white Beard, like the pediatrician sad back at the nick the Return of the Century of Vinical Beard.
Speaker 1: Yes, love it.
Speaker 2: He was the surgeon general under Reagan eighty two to eighty nine. And as you said, you can see him in your mind's high you can visualize Coop. Probably can't name any other surgeon general.
Speaker 1: Also, he dressed like a Navy ADM. Right, which was, which was fine.
Speaker 2: He was a stunt.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna wear this white coat so everybody knows, Hey, we're gonna bring doctor La Trash onto the show today. A good thing. Get a coat and a stethoscope on him, right, even though he's at a TV studio, just so everybody knows he's a doc.
Speaker 2: He's with unflinching public health messaging. He was America's doctor. He was not Reagan's. He reshaped the role of Surgeon General into one that became a prominent voice and national health policy. Born in the big town Brooklyn, smart guy Dartmouth undergrad Cornell, MD, Doctor of Medicine, Penn Public Health degree, Harvard. I'm just gonna hit them all. He was a trailblazer in medicine, actually, believe it or not, for the greatest cause, something that up to that point had been ignored, mostly until he showed up. Coop's medical career focused on pediatric surgery. He built the surgery Center at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Chop and he pioneered a number of life savingture surgical techniques for infants, and prior to that, he said, nobody really wrote about them, and he wanted to write about what worked what didn't work, so other doctors could learn. Because he said, we were losing way too many kids from childbirth and early things that could be corrected. So a true hero of heroes, dauntless surgeries to correct and save the lives of children as well, and he established the first neonatal surgical intensive care unit in the United States. He was a surgeon surgeon, And how about this. He was the world.
Speaker 1: He was your surgeon's very surgeon.
Speaker 2: He was the world's foremost authority on separating conjoined twins. Ten pairs he separated that survived. His commitment was to science, to public education over ideology. Appointment initially controversial because he was outspoken as an opponent of abortion. Critics feared he would allow his personal beliefs to influence policy. They did not. He advocated for evidence based approaches to public health, even if they clashed with the views of the administration that appointed him. He is best known, of course, because he was a surgeon general during the HIV AIDS epidemic, provided the public with accurate, science based information in the face of madness. In eighty six, the authored the Surgeon General's Report on Acquired Immune Deficiency syndrome and insisted that it be distributed to all of America over one hundred million households. It was the largest public health mailing in US history. And probably his biggest thing was when all the all of the legislature, pretty much anybody in politics was still cashing big checks from tobacco.
Speaker 3: He took him on.
Speaker 2: He said strong warnings, health risks of smoking, said addiction to cigarettes was a disease. He advocated forty public spaces.
Speaker 1: He loved Menthols.
Speaker 3: Well, who doesn't, Yeah, lived.
Speaker 1: There was all the right you know, you look back. He's on the right side of history when it comes to the menthol.
Speaker 2: Awesome freaking doc. He died in twenty thirteen at ninety six years old. We celebrate his model for public health leadership today on what would have been his one hundred ninth birthday. All Right, Matt, while listening to the Tompson Twins, we have a.
Speaker 1: More well quite heady, but we'll make it short. Uh, maybe something we can think about for the future. This is act Well, it could be Greek news, but it's Australian news. It's really day.
Speaker 4: It's Kip and this is Petros and Money's Australian.
Speaker 1: News today, will you celebrate a composer. Constantine Kukias is sixty years old. He also could be called and I'm sure he was growing up in Tasmania kooky ass. I'm sorry, k o U k Ias?
Speaker 2: Where's that cookie ass?
Speaker 1: Guys? Uh. He's a Greek guy, but from Tasmania, which is like Hawaii for Australia. It's just what I understand now. Based in Amsterdam, we're talking about large scale musical theater and opera, avant garde Matt things that are right up around. I still I remember seeing Deflator mouse with you at the Music Center but a night.
Speaker 2: Never forget it anyway.
Speaker 1: Constantine, as I said, very avant garde approach, mesmerizing temporal spatial production designs supposed to be a big deal. He approaches opera in a modern way, hence leading to hybrid productions like Days and Nights with Christ, to Traverse Water, the Matt Smith Story and our favorite The Divine Kiss Tesla Lightning in his Hand. This is high brows stuff like the great Petros Campani's Greek bass player that we celebrated in this space sometime ago. This is about eight years old. What we're listening to. It's called Before the Flames Go Out, Memorial to the Jewish Martyrs of Ionea, Greece. It premiered in Amsterdam and then toured. He does it all. Matt does Constantine, He mentors composers, he does operas, he does musical theater, orchestral and choral works. And like my father, he also wears a vest. But unlike my father, he was educated all over the world, not at Rolling Hills High School and then usc If this looks good on your dad, yeah, well, you know, if you commit to it, you know people they might have a certain they might think you're a valet. But you know, you put James conn in a vest, and you know he looks like like Frankenstein. But it's not too late for us to get into opera and avant garde orchestral music, and maybe we start with Constantine. Kukias, Happy sixtieth birthday.
Speaker 2: I'm just lost in the music.
Speaker 1: It is mesmerizing, as I said, be mesmerized by Dodger Radio, fool Dodgers versus Brew Crew. Tomorrow. Matt and I will be on at three. No we won't, Yeah, we will three to six.
Speaker 2: It's a kookie ass week.
Speaker 1: Is it three to six thirty or three six, three to six, three to six Tomorrow the Clippers finally figure it out and clip that half hour foreskin off of the night three to six, Thanks a lot, Bomber. Twelve to two Thursday, Hey, Bomber, we'll forgive all of your financial indiscretche if you click the half hour. Just clip that foreskin off. Get the brisk Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can we get that word out cakes before the season starts? Can we get that screen?
Speaker 1: Call them oil? All right, we'll be back with more Petro send money tomorrow with three. Like we said, enjoy the game in good luck to Yoshi yamamoa.
Speaker 5: But