Speaker 1: All right, it's Mojo in the Morning Show. Anybody that has a pet that grows old with you knows it's the toughest thing. Ever, when you know that they're growing old is not going to be happening much longer. Shannon's been dealing with this on a couple of occasions with animals, because she's got a few of them. One is Wes's dog, which miraculously Wes's dog is still with us, and Lively pig.
Speaker 2: Willow our friends Toe.
Speaker 3: We were going to have to put her to sleep because she had a spine issue, and she came back from the dead Lazarus.
Speaker 2: But it was great, Yes.
Speaker 1: But with the dog you truly love, because the other dogs are whatever, But this was the dog that you kind of had your start with.
Speaker 4: Charlie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how old is Charlie?
Speaker 3: He is sixteen and a half. Sixteen and a half, I know. He's my little rider Die. I got him. If you've been listening to the show for a long time, you remember me crying on the air because I was so lonely. I had just moved back home to Detroit and I would come home every day to an empty house. And so I got this little fluffy black and white dog to keep me company. And it's been sixteen and a half years. I had Charlie before I had my husband's, my kids. Like, just yeah, he's been there for everything.
Speaker 1: But Charlie's lived through a lot relationships you had dated and stuff like that. Actually, Charlie was there for you when you had an engagement ended.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean when I say ride or died. This dog, this dog knows it all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he is.
Speaker 3: I can tell he's nearing the end and it is really really apparent. And it's hard because he still does a lot of things normal. He still eats, he still begs for treats, he's still like you know, princes around, although he's getting he's having a tougher time with that. And I have wood floors throughout my house, so he does this like Bambi thing a lot or his legs display and he gets stuck there and we kind of have to pick him up and kind of get him going again. The vet has told me he has really severe dementia because he paces all day and he cries a lot until we've had to give him some CBD to help with the anxiety and the dementia. He's been wearing a diaper for like a year or two, so it's nothing new for me to have to use that, but now more so than ever.
Speaker 2: He poops in the house too.
Speaker 3: He's just like a lot. I don't think you can see or hear well at this point. And so I've like, I've been having this discussion with Wes, like when do you know.
Speaker 2: That it's actually time?
Speaker 3: And I don't think I will ever be able to make that decision. I don't ever want to have to make that decision. And it's gotten to the point now where I wake up in the morning and he sleeps in a little bed next to my bed, and I just really hope that he has like died sleep because I don't want to go, Okay, today's the day that I have to take him to the vat, you know, And I'm like, I still feel like this dog's got some time and.
Speaker 4: All aside from the dementia. Do you think he's like in pain.
Speaker 3: Because I know he has arthritis, like, but he's still, like I said, he still gets around, he goes up the stairs, he's you know, the vets like he's actually for his age, he's in really good shape, like he's got dimensionly, he's got arthritis whatever, But like there's you know.
Speaker 1: Can I say this though, that's I don't believe because they're all thats are about our bill. I feel I feel like there's a lot of cases they're like he's okay, everything's good, but it's quality of life. I think that at some point, you know, does Charlie want to be you know, walking around with a diaper on and having his legs go out from underneath him and bouncing into the walls like at some at some point and I know it's tough for you, but at some point it's almost humane for the dog. And just to say and it listen, I believe this. I believe this for also humans too. I hate to say this, but I think we as humans, you know, if we're that way, they put us in places called, you know, nursing home. You ever walk into a nursing home and said I want to live in this place?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And so I was talking to my friend Kristen, who works for henry Ford Health and she's becoming a friend of mine, and I was telling her about this. We went on like a hike the other day and she said she was in the same predicament with her dog, her older dog, and she finally said to her dog, please let me know when it is time for you, like, please give me a big sign to let me know that it is time, because she was in the same boat as me, and she said her dog stopped eating and she was like, okay, so I know that it is time. Like she felt at peace with making that decision.
Speaker 4: What kind of appetite is Charlie him?
Speaker 2: He still eats like a.
Speaker 1: He does normal, Okay, Because if that's the case, I agree, yeah a certain point, you know.
Speaker 4: That's the thing.
Speaker 3: And the diaper, by the way, the diaper we put on a because he's such an alpha and he was just like anywhere he smelled the other dog.
Speaker 2: This was like years ago when we first.
Speaker 4: Got b that just started having what's up tivity? How you doing?
Speaker 5: Bye?
Speaker 6: So I started crying a little bit when I heard Shannon.
Speaker 7: I had a dog for eighteen years that I got as my graduation gift from high school actually, and she unfortunately, we had to put her down a week before I gave birth to my daughter. And it was probably the hardest thing.
Speaker 5: I've ever done because she was with me all like my.
Speaker 6: Growing up life, through relationships, through college, through you know, three engagements, through my son being born.
Speaker 5: And I was already.
Speaker 6: Emotional because I was heavily pregnant, but doing that because she was like my first baby, like baby baby, It was really really, really tough.
Speaker 5: But she looked at me and I knew it was one of those books like Shannon was say and her friend like that, like, just give me a sign.
Speaker 6: My dog her name was Barbie.
Speaker 5: And I said, if you need to go, just let mommy.
Speaker 8: Know, and she gave me this look and I told my mom, I said time. But I mean I had the best memories with her, and as much as I wanted my daughter to meet her, I knew it was the right decision.
Speaker 4: So wow, that's hard. And how long ago was this that you had to do this?
Speaker 6: My daughter is just hehrm four.
Speaker 4: Tough.
Speaker 1: Isn't it wild that that we mourn and cry in our family? We did this way more than when my dad passed, Like my dad meant a lot to my boys. I know that I'm not taking that away, and he meant obviously a lot to me and Chelsea, but we, like Lily was, it was devastated.
Speaker 2: Did you guys have to put Lily downright, we did.
Speaker 4: Lily had.
Speaker 1: Lily had such bad cancer that if we didn't, it was just going to cause for her to have more and more pain and she could bleed out and stuff. So it was you know, that was one thing I will say about our vet that we go to some bets. The vet that we went to at that time was just like, guys, what do you you know you got to make that call. Some bets though, I swear to you, I think that they sometimes just want to hold onto a bill.
Speaker 3: I really do see my vet. I feel like he's very He's not a fact. Yeah, he doesn't a sugarcoat. What's anything?
Speaker 4: What's up? Lexi?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 9: How are you guys?
Speaker 1: We're doing okay. Poor Shannon's over here crying and stuff and getting emotional. Our last caller too, is very emotional. But how are you doing?
Speaker 10: But I'm doing good.
Speaker 11: I just have a comment that you know makes me emotional too.
Speaker 10: These dogs, all they give you is love for years and years, and I always say.
Speaker 12: The best thing you can do is let them go on a good day. My childhood dog was fine, fine, fine, up until she was about fourteen. The night before she was acting fine, and unfortunately I did. I don't want to see your monger.
Speaker 10: But you wake up and with the seizures and all of that, at the end of the day, there's still animals, and unfortunately things do happen, and sometimes it's best for you and other people to let them go on a good day. You know, they gave us everything, and it's hard for us to make that decision. You know, it's an impossible decision. But versus giving yourself a situation that you know might traumatize you in a way, you know, I guess that's kind of my.
Speaker 11: Point of it all. Where how do you make that impossible decision?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's where I am right now.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I feel like I need to give him the pep talk that my friend Kristen told me to give him, of like, let me know when it's time.
Speaker 10: I will.
Speaker 2: I will not make that decision.
Speaker 1: Well, in that collar, you said to the first collar, when the dog gave a look to that color, what's up, Jacqueline?
Speaker 3: Bye?
Speaker 5: Good morning, God good.
Speaker 9: I'm so sorry. I dogs through my life. I have four right now. I've rescue plenty of seniors, put down plenty of them. Unfortunately. But my last dog, he was a shelty and he had really bad our stortation. He struggled on the hardwood floors as well. But I got him little doggy grippy socks and they helped him so much. Like you can just how I put those on. He was walking around, strutting around, and it was just wonderful. And I mean he wore those up until we decided that it was time. So I highly recommend getting those are to talk amazon.
Speaker 1: They're super I'm looking right now, isn't it funny? He's gonna look like he's gonna look like the old man.
Speaker 2: I don't care. That would be very helpful.
Speaker 9: Little actually my other Golden too when she passed away. That helped her. But Clap of Love and Home just in Asia was probably one of the most beautiful things I've ever done.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you something moment.
Speaker 3: I know all about lap Belove because that's who we hired to come for Willow And an hour and a half before the fat was going to come, she got up.
Speaker 4: She she.
Speaker 1: Was like, yeah, yeah, I don't want it to We took Lily to that whatever the emergency doctor that they had, the emergency vet because I didn't want it to be that we have to sit there and walk by the spot that Lily died, Like you know, it's like, oh, we'll do it in.
Speaker 4: Lily's area or dog and I'm like, that's our living room.
Speaker 3: Every day we go look at the living room and talking to me about okay, like we need to have a plan, and I'm like, I don't even want to talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, don't make me sure it's.
Speaker 1: Funny with a willow. You're like, kill the damn thing. No, that was not my discussion. Let the willow run on the streets. And Shannon was like, literally, off, my is Caim.
Speaker 4: Are you there, Kim?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm here.
Speaker 11: Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kim, this is a horrible topic to have for you coming up this morning after what happened to you on Tuesday.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I just wanted to tell Shannon I completely understand. I lost my twenty year old cat on Tuesday, and you know, they're just a part of your family and every one of those seasons that you go through and you remember and they can't laid next to me while I was in chemo, he laid next to me and I was going through breakups. He was like my ride and die for everything. And we also lost our cabapoo back and things like Thanksgiving time frame, so that the worst scenario. But what I wanted to say to Shannon is he was perfectly fine until two days before and then it was like he absolutely pulled us.
Speaker 4: It was time.
Speaker 11: And I spent the day just holding him in the sun all day and giving him all his little special treats. And it's horrific the day after, right, because all the routines you're used to and getting up and feeding them and letting them out and doing all that, but they're at peace, right. You have to just know that they.
Speaker 5: Need to have that peace in their life too.
Speaker 11: So I'm so sorry you're going.
Speaker 1: To this, Kim. I want you to know that we're very sorry for your cat. But Shannon doesn't care because she hates cats.
Speaker 2: I hate the ID. I'm not a cat fan.
Speaker 4: She's basically like, oh good, another dead cat.
Speaker 1: I mean I was like, now the Kavapoo, maybe maybe he's just a little fair. How are you doing, By the way, I'm thinking of you. You said you went through chemo. Are you feeling okay?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 11: Actually it was It's funny. I'm on my way to a doctor's appointment at Michigan Medicine. Yeah, and I am fourteen years out from breast cancer and I'm actually going to have my implants chucked because they've been in too long. I kind of laughed and said, what, you did not expect me to live this long? So now I'm finally going back to get that chucked. But yes, Michigan Medicine saved my life.
Speaker 4: To love you, Kim, Thank you for I appreciate you