Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. It's the Dodgers and Padres getting said for first pitch in Peoria, Arizona, Game two for the Dodgers this spring and joining us right now is a man that certainly has let his presence be known, whether it's on social media or in the clubhouse or on the field, and certainly he has been a staple of the Dodgers since emerging in twenty eighteen. And that's my guy, Max Munsey. Monsey, I offered to do at least five push ups to prove to you that your claim yesterday that went viral, I mean, got more attention than Miguel Rojas saying Blake Snail's the weakest guy on the team. I am here to prove it to you, Moncie, if you'd like to see.
Speaker 2: The thing is, we've done this challenge before and you faltered after one and a half push ups, so I know where you stand on this.
Speaker 1: There were a lot more people watching. You dragged me into the weight room, and there were professional athletes demanding that I danced like a monk in there, and I felt the pressure. I couldn't get all the way.
Speaker 2: Down exactly like I said, I've seen you do it before, so I know where you're standing is.
Speaker 1: Here's another thing. Even your wife mentioned this the other day. Yeah, do you think I need to do five push ups right now? Miguel Rojas, Lake Snail is out there. You can actually go against him. I think I'm putting my money on you. I feel like I'm in better shape. I'm in better shape coming into camp than snell Zilla.
Speaker 3: That's a bold statement. I won't say anything about that.
Speaker 1: A lot of hot mics around here. I guess, Hey, nobody knows how to take a joke.
Speaker 3: That's a bold claim. That is a bold claim.
Speaker 1: David, Oh, Max, what's it like to be sitting next to a guy that you both had such big moments in the postseason? Miguel Rojas obviously locker mats with you last year tied the game up your home run. How much more are we allowed to reflect on last year?
Speaker 2: You know, we can give it a couple more days, But now that we're getting going for this year, the focuses on this year. You know, today in our meeting, we had a nice video that showed kind of the highlights of last year, and.
Speaker 3: It's really cool to watch.
Speaker 2: It gets you gives you chills, you know, just you kind of replay the whole year in your mind while what's going on, and you just you think back and go, man, that was a pretty special year. But now that we're here for this year, you kind of have to flush that. You can't be focused on last year if we focused on this year and what's ahead of us. And you know, you've heard me say it a million times. Our focus is on each each and every day. How are we getting better for that day and how are we focusing on that day? And you know, me and Miggie, we've we've been here for a while and that's one of the things we try to harp on with the infielders is we got to get better every single day. What we're doing, how are we communicating, how we feeling ground balls, how are we throwing? Are we doing all that with intent? Are we doing that with you know, the focus of getting better? And if we're not, we got to call couple people out, and you know, and sometimes that includes us.
Speaker 3: Sometimes we need to be called out.
Speaker 2: We've if we've had a bad day, you know, MEIGGI will come up and be like, hey, what's going on. You know, it didn't look like you were focused out there, and you know, you just have honest conversations with each other, and that's you know, one of the things that's so special with this clubhouse is that everyone's open to I would necessarily call it criticism, but we'll just use that word to make it easy. You know, everyone's open to that, and they don't take it the wrong way because they know it's coming from a place of love and that it's coming from a place that we want to be good and for everyone to be as good as possible, we have to hold each other accountable.
Speaker 1: With that being said, Dave Roberts mentioned to us that Kyle Tucker and Edwin Diaz, two of the newest guys in this clubhouse, stood up and spoke. What was the mood in the clubhouse when two new guys comes into a team that already has a lot of veterans that went back to back championships.
Speaker 3: You know, Dog likes to do that early in spring hit.
Speaker 2: You know, with the new guys, he likes to give him a chance to speak, and you know, it helps everyone in the clubhouse learn who they are and you know, the message they sent was great. They came here to win, they want to win a ring, and you know, they heard of how great organization is, how great the players are, how great the clubhouse is, you know, how great the front office is in terms of how they treat the players and the families. And they both had very similar messages, and you know, it's exciting when you hear that.
Speaker 3: And for a lot of the.
Speaker 2: Guys that have you know, been here for several years, you don't forget, but it's always refreshing when you hear you know, other players talk about what they see from from Afar about you know, just the first class organization that we are and that you know, it's special to be here, and so it's just it's just refreshing to hear that.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you fall into that category as well. You signed a tow year extension. You're gonna be here for at least three more seasons, including this one. It seems like a lot's been made out of the numbers that you took. But how do you react to all the attention that you've gotten to re sign with the team for two more years?
Speaker 3: You know, where else would I rather go?
Speaker 2: You know, this is the best organization in baseball, where the best team in baseball. Why would I want to go anywhere else because I'm greedy. No, that's not who I am.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I know we get we get paid a lot of money to play this game, and obviously that's comforting to know that we make a lot of money. But I never really got into this game for that reason. I got into because I love the game at baseball. I love to compete. I love to win, and there's no better opportunity to do that than here. And on top of that, this organization and the city really has become my family. And that was one of the key deciding factors for us was my family. You know, my kids were born in LA. They love Lay, They love everything about it. They love the Dodgers. They you know, they know all the landmarks driving to the stadium. They when we get to the stadium and they know exactly where they're going.
Speaker 1: They love it.
Speaker 2: Every time they see the color blue, they say that that's Dodger blue or that's dad of blue. And you know, I'm not going to rip that away from them because I'm greedy, And like I said, that's just not who I am.
Speaker 3: So for me, it was such an easy decision that, sure, maybe I'm.
Speaker 2: Leaving money on the table. There's no way of actually knowing that. There's no way of knowing what other organizations might offer.
Speaker 3: You out there.
Speaker 2: But for me, it's more than enough money for me and my family, and you know, they're set, and it's a chance to stay here and win every single year.
Speaker 3: Why would I want to go anywhere else?
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you have that perspective because when the Dodgers called, you didn't have a job at that point in time, So you've seen what it's like to be close to being out of the game to being at the pinnacle a three time World Series champion.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a little bit of loyalty there for me.
Speaker 2: You know, they took a chance on me when I was basically retired and I was pretty set on retiring, and they kind of, you know, pulled me out of the dumpster, and you know, they helped me relearn who I was and and become the player I am. And for that, I'm always going to be grateful, And you know, because of that, I want to show a little bit of gratitude towards them and not you know, I'm not trying to burn any bridges there, and it's you know, it's just a it's just a respect between both of us, the front office and me, like we've we've had such a good relationship over the years and it's going to continue. And you know that that was also another factor in deciding that I want to stay here is I've made you know, I've been very open about how i want to end my career here, but just building the legacy that I have here when I'm done playing, you know, whatever I want to do, the daughters are going to let me do. And you know that's something that kind of meant a lot to me also to just know that, you know, if I want to work for the team, if I want to, you know, just have a little side role with the team, or if I want to be a coach, if I want to, you know, be in the front office, They're going to give me an opportunity to do that because of the relationships that I've built here and that's something that means everything to me.
Speaker 1: Next months. He's been a big part of the fabric with the Dodgers since he burst onto the scene in twenty eighteen and has not rested on his laurels yourself and all the guys that were part of the team last year have come into camp ready to go day one. What did you do with your off season training to be able to be ready for this year and as you evolve as you get later in your career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it just it was a big focus on health for me, you know, trying to just do everything I can to make sure I'm healthy this year. You know, I dove a lot into the issues that I had, and I feel like we figured a lot of them out. I've done some you know, pretty crazy stuff, but you know, I've coming to the camp in great shape. It's the lightest I've been since, you know, twenty eighteen. Really, I feel great. And you know that was part of the reason that you know, we had good, good discussions with the front office was you know, we both understand that if I want to be here, I have to be able to pay third base, and for me to be able to pay third base, I just have to healthier. And so yeah, that was kind of the key deciding factor. Is just I want to be able to perform. I want to be able to be an All Star again. I want to help his team win a couple more World Series and that's just the end goal, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Muncie. Thanks a lot for the time. Glad I got off the hook of doing any push ups today. Maybe week two of the spring training. I'll be ready.
Speaker 3: I know you're scared about it. Don't worry.
Speaker 2: I won't put you in front of the camera. I know you're scared about doing push ups. But yeah, for everyone out there, it's just.
Speaker 3: All love between me and David. But I have to give I have to give a little call out every now and then, no doubt.
Speaker 1: You got to keep me humble.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot for the time, of course,