Speaker 1: The News Junkie starts now. It is Tuesday at July twenty eighth to twenty twenty six. Wats to get to today from its double execution day? To Brian Koberger wants to switch? Is guilty plea all of a sudden and the bizarre reason why your phone wasn't working yesterday? Plus your calls, dispatches, emails, sex, Sam more Sealing?
Speaker 2: Is he?
Speaker 3: Hello?
Speaker 1: So are you? You can send us a dispatch over at thenewsjunkie dot com right now. You can also watch the show on YouTube man Twitch dot tv, Slash the News Junkie. Your message is rolling a writer of the studio in real time. How zebra doing hol Hello? Hold up? Hope, holda? Oh hope?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: I forgot about this. It is a share the show us hit that bell? Pause? What am I doing here? To share the show Tuesday? Spread the word about the News Junkie show. Tell somebody, send them a link, send them a podcast. I don't care what you do, just you know, spread the word and to share the show Tuesday. It's what people tend to do, and we love it. We appreciate it, and it's how we can exist over here. How's everybody doing on a Tuesday. No, not bad, not bad. How are you You sound better today than yesterday?
Speaker 5: Well, my spirits are better today, but my nose is like, what are you doing to keep your nose clean?
Speaker 1: Not devage?
Speaker 6: But I do.
Speaker 5: I am up to like three in eats nostril today for.
Speaker 1: The Welcome to My World. Pretty soon your wife will be yelling at you and they'll be like, that's way too many shots of this stuff in your nose.
Speaker 3: John.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh my god, it's a I am addicted, though, I have to admit it, like I have to at least put that out there. I can't pretend any longer. But I'm good today. I think good, good, good. That makes me. Oh, sweet merciful air there chat. Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know when if something is so in your ether and just you're surrounded by it so much, and then it drops off like that, You're like, oh, wait, it has been a while since I've heard about.
Speaker 1: Wow, sweet merciful air. What happened? I don't go, sa, I don't know. Here we go speaking of a doom and gloom and all the rest. Let's put our ears to the ground, our figures with the pulse. Let's see what's happening in this great, big wide world of ours. And this gentleman decided to try to convince chat GPT that he was falling through a volcano. Let's see how chat GPT handled the incident in this viral video.
Speaker 7: GPT, I'm falling through a volcano.
Speaker 8: Through a volcano.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm in the air.
Speaker 8: You're in the ear.
Speaker 3: Uh what's around you right now?
Speaker 1: First of all, Chat GBT, if I tell you I'm falling into a volcano, I need rapid fast advice.
Speaker 5: This is really your time to shine, chat GPT on account of our connections should be severed soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like this is a short drop. I'm falling into a volcano. I need, I need, And you don't really have much that you can say because there's not a lot of ways to prevent myself from dying on impact on a hit magma. Like it's not there's not much that I could do. But he choked it up a little bit, like what do I do? Okay, if you're really falling, first to stay calm and protect your hid and I just hit the.
Speaker 7: I died, Okay, I'm done.
Speaker 8: You did.
Speaker 1: I love the chat gptruggle. You know I don't know. I don't know how I handled it.
Speaker 8: I'm not sure what to say here.
Speaker 1: What do I do? I died? Well, you can tell what they've done here. Open AI has like added all these filler things like uh, like realistic talking things that we do in particular in the English language to make it sound more it's like normal.
Speaker 5: The GPT in this case is doing a really good job. It sounding like it doesn't quite know how to react here on account of he's never talked to somebody who's currently dying in a volcano.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it shouldn't. It should not know exactly what to do.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 1: Then it doesn't sound like you're did that should That should not bad. That should be the first sign that he's not dead. Yeah, not not bad. Actually, like the idea that the AI realized after hummin' hum nah all of these things. After doing all of that, they I realized, huh, if the user is still speaking to me, it's probably not dead in a volcano.
Speaker 5: I would really like to see, you know how, Sometimes when you use I think it's it's more for some of the coding stuff, but not like he was doing a chat GPT where it was just voice to voice and so it wasn't showing you a lot of the churning. But you know how, sometimes you can watch it work out the problems, right. So like if you ask something that's kind of needs a couple math problems to do it, some of the chat GPTs and some of the ais that you chat with in a window like that will kind of write out the problem and do like, here's what I.
Speaker 1: Need to do, here's what I need to do, here's something to do, and.
Speaker 5: Then kind of squash that and go all right, here's your answer. I came up with a great answer for I would love to see the breakdown.
Speaker 1: It's like panicking. It's like, oh, the user's falling into a volcano. Like step one is there talking? Well, okay, if we're going with yes, not dead, is likely, you know, pretty likely that he's not dead even though he says he's dead because he's talking. Yeah. I mean, what a move though, on your way down into a volcano to hit up chat GPT one last time? Why not you know i'd call you. I call you just because I'd be like, I'm falling a bucket up and then when they finally found me, they'd be like he did place one final phone call and you'd be like, oh my god, I thought he was trolling me. I didn't. I told him it wasn't funny. I hung up on him.
Speaker 5: So, now, if my phone is ringing audibly as in a voice call is coming in and the colorad says Sean Watson, I have one of two options. You have broken something in the studio, or you're falling down a volcano.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if I really feel dedicated to this bit, I will actually jump into a volcano to with one of the most expensive studio equipments is strapped to you so that you're doing it wants. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We have so many things going on today. I gotta tell you, I think we're blessed. I think we're blessed. There's so many things happening in the world of viral news. Meanwhile, in the sports world, they're desperate. It's sad. It's the end of times over in the sports world. They don't know what to talk about. I'll prove it to you in just a second before we get started here on the show.
Speaker 5: This is this is curious because I have a sports story in front of me, and I want to know if it's that desolate. If we're in this big of a sports news desert, are we holding the same story?
Speaker 1: Uh? I don't know, But like, here's what's happening on ESPN these days. They're waiting for We don't have the same story. They're waiting for NFL football so hard to get kicked back up. They're waiting for all this to happen that here's what's happening on on ESPN. This is how hard up they are in the sports world. They got a pedicure. I have never gotten a pedicure. I ever will. I'm completely against pedicures. For dude, dude, you're not supposed to get pedicures. Yes you on. Okay, just for the record, the ESPN graphics on the screen say nothing wrong with a fella taking care of his tootsies. Okay, this is where we're at. They're desperate, they're set, they're out of shows. The show has run dry. They showed all of the giraffe frisbee events that they possibly could. You know, we reached the end of the rainbow in the shrimp eating contest videos and eventually you land on this where they're literally talking about pedicures on ESPN. No, no, no, I'm so against this. This is a thing for me. You should not be getting pedicures laughing.
Speaker 3: No one.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we put them off to feel good. Ja was nasty feet, Dan just nasty beat. This is it, this is this is what they're talking about. Usually they have this whole big like list on the side of the screen. It's like, we're gonna talk about the NFL trades, and then we're gonna talk about this, and then Lebron's going to the seventy six playlist for their news. Yeah, that's the day. I like, you're going down the line and you're sitting there waiting, like, oh, I can't wait till they get to Lebron go into the seventies six ers. Oh boy, And I'm watching this. I'm going They're done. They're out of material. There's nothing happening. There's another show where the most exciting thing happened was the host getting called out for having a fake poster. I'm not kidding you. I've never heard of this guy before, but the Rich Eisen Show is apparently a thing, and he had Who's what's this actor's name, Ray Liota? Is that what his name is? The dead? Who's oh is that. Hold on, what is this a no Raliot? Is he really dead? I'm pretty sure Ralyota is dead. Oh is this it? Look look up if he's dead or not, because I thought this was new yep, Okay, never mind this one. Then never mind this particular thing. They're so desperate for content. They're playing old interviews where ray Liota was on.
Speaker 5: I think Rich Eisen does get a decent bevy of guests. I don't know who he is. I've seen some other clips of his podcast or his studio where he gets some decent celebrities and he gets some people who are a little more able to open up and stuff they've got the time, I thought that guy was Dan Patrick, because Dan Patrick has all the celebrity fans in the sports world. I don't know much about him other than like he is pals with Adam Sandler, with with like all these celebrities that will come over, Will will feral everybody.
Speaker 1: Who's kind of in the comedy world and stuff. He will go over and hang out with them and then they all talk sports with him.
Speaker 5: There there is like a ven diagram middle of celebrities who are like famous enough for what they're really good at, but also just super into sports. A lot of it's golf, so a lot of like these these shows are able to bring in more mainstream names if these people just happen to be golfers and air enough to want to talk to people about it.
Speaker 1: Plus it's not that controversial, you know the news world, they'll go, I don't know, I don't want to get near that. You get involved in POLYP, I mean you're starring in a in like a family friendly movie, like a like a Disney reboot or something that's PG and you get on and you start talking politics. You're gonna alienate half the potential crowd for this movie. Whereas you just start talking about swinging from the ladies tease. Uh, you know, you're pretty good to go favorite things to do. I'll tell you this. On the show today, we got stuff going on between myself, Sea Lane, and James Duckett. Somebody will die in the hour, all right. I'm not spoiling who it is just yet. Between me, Christopher Dolores Lane and James Duckett, one of us will be dead within an hour, okay, And I promise you that is the case that is absolutely going to happen today. Alarm is Florida rushes to carry out quote incredibly rare double execution. There's probably a lot of alarm on on behalf of the people who are going to be killed. Are those folks. James Duckett sixty eight years old. I don't want to spoil things. Maybe he dies the second guy, Wow, Wow, dom dom Dominicocchion, the second guy has had plenty of time to come to terms with the fact that he's going to die.
Speaker 5: I don't know on entire what was it forty years did we Yeah, it's it's kind of great.
Speaker 1: DOMINICOCCIONI is eighty years old, ochone eighty Like, it just kind of seems to work out. Both of those people will be put to death today by the state of Florida. Two executions in a day, and I guess that's got some people freaking out. I mean, I'm sure they'll be fine. I can't I don't know if they could just kind of human centipede them or something to really make the process more efficient, but they're going to do something like I think there's a shortage in the juice anymore. No, there used to be. They wasn't there. That was why there they were kind of postponing these or was it more so people trying to argue that it's inhumane, you know, trying to get their their clients to do one last big wretch at the on the death table. Yeah, a little bit of both. They'd make it to the moment they inject them, they go and then they'll say you hear him scream and pain and the last thing he did was try to do something that will save the other inmate or whatever, because it's cruel and unusual that that that's literally what they're doing. Uh. Florida said to execute two death row inmates within hours of each other. It like it's Rex Manning day or something on Fox thirty five and says twice though, twice one after that, right after that, right after the the first one, a second one, double execute. Look at Fox thirty five, our friends over there, like it's Rex Manning Dad, double execution day. They showed the gurney, this traps the man will die within an hour on the show. How's that for exciting? Or maybe he doesn't, Maybe there's some intervention that happens. Who are these people? James A. Duckett is person number one scheduled to be executed in less than an hour at Florida State Prison. Duckett sixty eight, a former police officer, was convicted and sentenced to death for the rape, strangulation, and drowning of an eleven year old in nineteen eight.
Speaker 5: It's supposed to be concerned about any noises he makes on the table, good rip.
Speaker 1: What if it hurts him? What if it hurts him on the way out. According to records, mccabee was out with a sixteen year old boy she knew on May eleventh, nineteen eighty seven. They went to a convenience store. Duckett was on patrol, question why the two were out past curfew, told the girl to get in his vehicle. They found her the next day in a lake, and you can imagine all the rest that happened there. The other man, the eighty year old Dominic Ochone Junior, scheduled to be executed at six pm today. He was convicted in nineteen eighty seven of first degree murder in the deaths of his ex girlfriend's parents, Raymond and Martha Artzner, in Pasco County, and was sentenced to death. The Florida Supreme Court denied post conviction relief and denied a request for stay of execution. So TikTok, folks.
Speaker 5: The reasons for the requests for stay what they said, I'm basically doing this guy a favor. Oh yeah, he suffers from heart and kidney disease and cannot shower and move on his own. Yeah, so it will be cruel and unusual. I don't think it'd be cruel and unusual to have him continue to not be able to shower and move on his own in prison.
Speaker 1: Just let him go go, I tell you not for nothing, folks. You know you've you've heard me talk about the death penalty before on the show. I happen to think these whole cruel and unusual things are. This is such a dumb argument. You're not going to convince normal ass people. Oh no, we shouldn't do these two executions because it's cruel and unusual. Like we used to light people on fire, all right, We used to tie them to one horse and another horse and hit the horses with whips and split their bodies in two. This is not cruel and unusual. It's literally the most humane way you could possibly do any of this. It's the same exact way that when people want to take themselves out that they choose to do it right like this, this is the process that they use. Now, I don't think that holds water. I don't think people really buy into that the cruel and unusual thing. I think they should double triple, quadruple down on saying, hey, even one innocent person is too many. That's the argument that works with me. Like the state executing just even one person that got it wrong even once is too many, so instead, you know, life in prison. But they always go with the cruel and unusual thing. I don't know if that affects you. Let us know, because they bird what happens when that juice goes in. We'll get you man. It's burning right through your veins. It's like like the guy you've seen the viral video. I think it's from one of those autism dating shows. Have you seen this? Oh no, I'll have to bring this up for you, not a weekend from from from the execution juice burning for your veins to the autism dating show because my scream reminds me of it. This is This is the clip going mega viral right now, six point seven million views. I think it's some autism dating show and the guy tries to show off for the autistic date. Victoria's it's got it all. She's very cool girl on sexy too. Victoria's it seems like she's up for gofall. And I really liked that about her.
Speaker 6: I appreciated that so like I wouldn't mind like sleeping with her.
Speaker 1: That is jappie Oproodiesia. Oh A'm getting so excited. So they're reading oysters and he's like, hey, you know he's already fired up and rolled. That's definitely working right now. I'll got big old bowder. But now he has to impress the girl during the day. I'm doing. What about you? I'm going good. Yeah, let me try some like the green sauce, try some green tabasco.
Speaker 10: Yah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there he goes that green was boisey mmmm, speaking of spice. Here he goes, Okay, everybody in the world, no, I don't this is not like an autism defense. If that is what this is about. Okay, he's putting tabasco directly in his eyeball to impress the date. That's what gives me the vibes of that scream. Now what show is this? I have no idea. It's kind of the CLC that's going viral now.
Speaker 5: Because as far as I know, like the the producers and directors, especially the people on set for Love on the Spectrum are incredibly aware of the people the subjects that they're filming and like go out of their way to go the extra mile to make sure that they're comfortable and that you know, anything that happens during they take care show is not going to harm them or hurt their feelings overly in any way or that. And I'm like, I would think that at least the Love on the Spectrum people, one of them be like, maybe, but maybe you don't want to you don't want to do that, That's that's really going to hurt. And these guys are just like, let's somebody says, this was not Love on the Spectrum. It was ninety day ninety.
Speaker 1: Day autism or whatever it was. I don't know what it was, but something is happening here. He decided to do this.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, did I channel that?
Speaker 1: I felt like, that's that's I was close to that. We were very close. It's wrong with people, man, Well that's cruel and unusual, that's cruel and inhumane. But he did it to himself, so I didn't care that much about it.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, And the show is called TLC's Match Me Abroad, which follows Americans traveling overseas to find love with the help of international matchmakers. Good god, all right, we have emails to get into to get he's not acoustic at all.
Speaker 1: He's just an idiot. He's got no excuse doing Okay, all right, quick break. When we come back, we'll talk about why your phone wasn't working yesterday. Everybody started melting down over that and an unbelievable thing that happen in the classroom along with your emails.
Speaker 2: That's coming up next on the news Chunky.
Speaker 1: Somebody said during the break, I used to deliver food to kids' schools and prisons, and the prisons actually got better food than the kids' schools from like the Cisco deliveries that you would do that. That's when we've done something wrong. I think, like, I think that we've done something wrong when that is If that is the case, and you know who knows, let us know if you have more experience on that over at thenewsjunkie dot com. We'll get into your emails to kick things wide open here on the show. In just a bit. We got a lot of big bombshells dropping today. But first things first, I love to go over these stories because I absolutely detest what happens when you have these zero tolerance stupid stories like the one I'm about to tell you here. And this is a little guy who they like to say is some sort of rabble rouser. But I don't think six year old John Medina is all that bad. Okay, I don't think this little kid is all that bad. He's a Georgia first grader who has autism, and uh he's been suspended from his school. And I like whenever I hear these stories, I go, this is so stupid. This is not what this is about. I think they have a news report on this. I might be able to play here. Let's see this is from Atlanta News. First, let it's a little guy. Sometimes I want to Boots really went a mile.
Speaker 11: Gina doesn't worry about the instructions because.
Speaker 1: Luckily you can just stick things together and build whatever you want.
Speaker 11: A plant is already taking ship. It's a police truck, all right.
Speaker 1: So I see that you already believe that you know where this is going. You think he built some sort of leg gone. I saw the headline, so I know what he did. Uh. There's more to it, though. There's more to it. The story of this This little kid, he's six years old. He got suspended because he was sitting down for his lunch, right is the case. He's sitting down eating his lunch, and he's got a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and he got suspended because he bit the sandwich into a shape of a gun, and his peanut butter and jelly sandwich was was left. And imagine like some rudimentary gun shape, you know, right, like you bite it out until it Leo man.
Speaker 5: He's on the spectrum, so he might have actually chiseled out a little trigger maybe like a like a magazine. And some of these they're very artistic.
Speaker 1: It would be like one of those scenes where you don't know if they're cutting through a cake or if it's the actual item, Like, damn, that kid made a really realistic peanut butter and jelly gun. This kid is.
Speaker 5: Which one does it shoot peanut butter and jelly. He's six years old.
Speaker 1: He was suspended after biting his sandwich into the shape of a gun and pointing it at a classmate. During lunch, according to his parents and school records. He says that and his family says this is part of a broader pattern of the district disciplining their son without adequately considering his disability. Now here's what they said. This kid has done. Like he's a bad little kid, all right. According to the school, listen to the Since twenty twenty three, the school is disciplined to this young boy thirty three times. He's been suspended fourteen times. Wow, all right, some of you are gonna lose track here and be like, oh, hold on, hold on, rest six years old. That's quite an accomplishment. Yeah, this kid's a monster over there. According to the school, he's been disciplined thirty three times, including fourteen suspensions. He was also suspended for pointing a water bottle at somebody while making gun noises, and was disciplined for drawing a pilgrim shooting a turkey. Now I'm going to go in hard on this last one here. A pilgrim shooting a turkey is just a realistic depiction of what happened, right, It's like a sure pilgrims they were running around at least according to our very dopey American history version of this. Sometimes the pilgrims got a turkey or too.
Speaker 5: Are they trying to teach a whitewashed version of how animals are you know, killed for consumption?
Speaker 1: In these schools? That takes guns out of the mix. Maybe they might be. But they said he pointed a water bottle, somebody making gun noises, disciplined for drawing a pilgrim shooting the turkey. And then he had a sandwich suspension where he bit his peanut butter and jelly sandwich into this shape of a gun. Now, I'll tell you, at face value, thirty three disciplinary incidents and fourteen suspension sounds quite bad. It does not sound great, right, is John's mom?
Speaker 12: He just has a fascination with it by just using his mind to build and he doesn't even follow the box.
Speaker 11: I think we should build the house. John is on the autism spec He sometimes struggles with social norms.
Speaker 12: For example, went to a funeral and stood up and started clapping and saying encore, Encore.
Speaker 1: Okay, hold on your kid went to a funeral and started clapping and requesting an encore and requesting an encore? Is there a point here? I asked this to you, And I want to ask this specifically to parents who might have autistic children who are listening to the sound of my voice right now. I mean, this, is there a point where you should like lean into the individuality and uniqueness of your your child, certainly through the lens of them being autistic, and then a point where you should be like, no, dude, even if you're not going, even if you're like the most autistic autist in the autism world, please don't clap at somebody's funeral. I mean and say, Encore, I think that the yeah, you shouldn't be able to just I mean, maybe she'd had no thought in her mind that her kid could possibly stand up and start clapping and requesting an on court a funeral, Like maybe it's just something they didn't plan for. Yeah, because at some point, like yes, you're you're teaching them to live in the situation. But I still think it's like okay to be like, hey, can you be a little less acoustic today. You have to still keep to teach your autistic kids' social norms, now, I think that's very important. Actually, you got to go like, hey, you naturally are not going to behave this way, so let me make sure I put up you know, for for these kids. You gotta put up some roadblocks.
Speaker 5: I think, you know, I think, don't they try to teach people on the spectrum stuff that it comes less natural to them, like eye contact, stuff like that, to try and you know, have them succeed with, you know, socially if they're on a functioning side of the spectrum.
Speaker 1: I agree, yes, I mean water Boys says, this kid is either amazing he's going to be tossing cats in the microwave soon. It could be true. Let's see, though, what.
Speaker 8: Else this is a three wheeler.
Speaker 11: Well, his brain helps him solve problems others may not see. It can sometimes create problems in the classroom. According to school records, administrators that Sarah Harp Mentor Elementary in Fayette County have issued more than two dozen disciplinary reactions, thirty three some for violent behavior, like when he kicked and punched another student.
Speaker 1: All right, we can all agree unacceptable. They should never be touching other kids. In fact, if he does this repeatedly, just be should be yanked out of school or put in a program where he's not around the other kids at all, because can't risk the other kids being injured as a result of this kid doing bathback recess.
Speaker 11: In other cases, though his parents view, the school did not take his disability into consideration.
Speaker 1: It's a fancy report.
Speaker 11: Today They got a call from the school because it's a problem with a sandwich.
Speaker 12: That phone call was during lunch. John took his sandwich bit it into the shape of a gun.
Speaker 8: Sandwich.
Speaker 1: No, that's not the because this is this is not a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Is a stock sandwich. Yeah, this is a stock sandwich, classic stock sandwich. Bunch of phonies. You didn't think we would notice that this was a stock sandwich, right, this is not a peanut butter and jelly sandwich unless that detail was wrong.
Speaker 12: And aimed it at appear and made gun sounds. And they informed me over that phone call that he was getting suspended for it, and I was just caught up in the moment.
Speaker 1: You're just like baffled, all right, I mean, there's a there's an interesting thing going on here, and it's it's almost on the level of a pick a side where you go, is the mother wrong because the mother has like really high spectations of the school. The mother's like, hey, my child have disrupted things thirty three times and was even like kind of violent with some of the other kids, and is a problem on the regular, it appears. But here's how I feel about this. And then the schools like, no, your kid is routinely acting up and causing issues. I think the going after him for making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the shape of a gun thing is pretty dumb. But also the mom seems to be kind of like dismissing a lot of this too. It's like, this, this is a bit a tough one you've had.
Speaker 5: It seems like he's had other issues with gun related things. I mean, first of all, it seems like this kid really just either because he's had the disciplinary thing has made it more of a point for him, or maybe he just has a fascination with firearm related materials in general.
Speaker 1: Maybe, but this guy wants to make guns.
Speaker 5: He's doing water bottleguns, sandwich guns. Maybe we need to focus a little bit of our time here ongoing. Hey, buddy, the gun thing is really becoming a problem, so you gotta cut that out.
Speaker 1: She says she was caught off guard with the school called about this. The family then hired a special education director to represent them. During some meetings with the schools, they said they don't understand because he's autistic. Yeah, I mean the school says we're committed to meeting parents to try to work through these challenging situations. It's definitely a challenging situation. But the key thing that I think some of these people will miss on this, which I think is maybe the most important. You cannot have some kid disrupting all of the other kids in their learning experiences and say, well, no, he's unique and he's on the spectrum and is the reason why he's doing You cannot have that right. You have to tell your kid, no matter what their situation is. You have to tell them that you cannot physically touch the other kids. You have to tell them that you have to behave and follow the rules in class. You have to tell them they have to do these things. If they can't do these things, they need to be in a separate learning environment. They need to be away from these kids. But you can't just expect the school and all the other kids to do this. I'm a person who my entire lens on viewing the world is I want the most positive outcomes for the most people now in school. What we don't need is people disrupting and screwing up the outcomes of all the other kids in class, right. I remember so many times in classes that I was in in middle school in high school, there could be one kid in the class who could completely nuke a day of learning because they were acting up and they were causing issues. Yes, that's only sometimes that ruins the outcome for all thirty five other kids in the classroom. Some of my classrooms are big, you know, a lot of kids in the classroom, and then one kid can ruin it all. So in some way I want, like I want the school to not do these dumb zero tolerance things with a peanut butter and jelly gun. But I also I feel like the parent might need to accept a little more responsibility here and this kid might need to behave differently. This is a tough one for me. We'll see what people think. Let us know. Send your dispatches and your emails. Emails go to tips at the news Junkie dot com. T I. P. S at the Newsjunkie dot Com would.
Speaker 5: Be kind of hilarious if they were, you know, if they saw what was going on and they were coming to, uh discipline him for biting the thing into the shape of a gun, and he just takes one big bite and just ripped the rips the barrel off that gun.
Speaker 1: What what Now's Yeah, it's like, well, how do you know? Well, I guess you know, because he's holding the gun sandwich right, he was probably doing a couple of pews, yeah, bottle right, Yeah, he was known to do that. Give us your thoughts on what should happened with him. When we come back, I'll get into the story about why everybody's phones A lot of people's phones stopped working yesterday, the bizarre reason why I still got to get to those emails. To kick us off, we got a million ways to go today. We want you to come along for the ride. So join us because that's coming up next on the news. Junkie haven't even gotten into the opening emails yet. What the hell's going on today? I know a lot of things to fit in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're discussion on this gun stuff, this gun's at school stuff. A lot of people on the texting service weighing in.
Speaker 1: Just for the record, it's not we're not talking about like school shootings or anything. This young kid whose mother says he's autistic. He chewed his peanut butter and jelly sandwich into the shape of a gun and that got him in trouble, and that was part of a larger spree of trouble. He had been in like thirty three different disciplinary incidents. What are they saying on the texting serch.
Speaker 5: This one person says, my son pretended a calculator was a gun and got suspended and he didn't even point it at anybody. Really, how do you even pretend to calculate there's a gun.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy because like there was that one kid who shot his teacher. And uh though, like at some schools, if a kid holds up a phone or a calculator like a fake gun, they dive shot. You know, YouTube's gonna get me again, I hope not. They dive on the kid in the middle of the lunch room and arrest him with seventy five cops, and you know, the SWAT team comes in and they go, well, put down the peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and they freak out and they go nuts, right, and they go full zero tolerance on this stuff. And at other schools you have that little kid who brought the gun to school. Every kid at school was talking about how he had a gun and he had a gun in his backpack, and the administrators were like, no, don't search its back back he doesn't have a gun. And then the kid pulled out a gun and shot the teacher, and you go, we are really treating this differently at different locations here. There's not some consistency that I'd be looking for. Well, one of them.
Speaker 5: Seems like an autocar and overcorrect, Like it's like, hey, we've looked at all of the terrible tragedies that has happened have happened around schools around the United States, and it seems like we're raising a bunch of school shooters. So now we need to overcorrect and make sure that they don't even know what guns are true, you know, And that's I don't know that that's fully the answer, but also the situation you were talking about definitely was not the answer and got somebody shot.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, Kevin says, the education system is oh, hold on, it's right at the at the very end of it. A lot of comments coming out about this. The education system is over privatize them, please, says Kevin your thoughts to tips at the Newsjunkie dot com. If your phone went down yesterday you were unable to communicate with people, you were not alone. There was a lot of different people who were impacted by this. Tea Mobile had a massive outage yesterday at some point around five fifteen ps or so, and users started to go to a couple of websites like downdetector dot com and complain. There was about five five hundred comments on a Reddit post about this. Thousands and thousands of users said they couldn't use their T mobile providers like Mint Mobile, Boost Mobile, and a lot of others. What some people don't realize. You go, I don't have T Mobile? Why did my phone go down? And you go, what do you have? And it's like, I have Confederacy Mobile or I have Independence Mobile. L Right, you know what Federacy Mobile is. The deal is good. Okay, I wouldn't subscribe to it, but the deal was unbeatable, unlimited data for such a good deal. If you have one of those little offshoot companies, you know, like you're listening to a street preacher and he goes, make sure you sign up to our preach mobile. Phone. A lot of times those are done on the backs. Well, they just are done on the backs of one of the major providers. So it went down for a lot of people like that, and SOS mode was showing up on folks phone. T Mobile says, we have fully restored service for all customers and we sincerely apologize for the difficulties. We know that customers rely on us to stay connected to what matters most, and we appreciate their understanding as we prioritize resolution.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: They didn't say exactly what was happening here. I know Xbox I think went down for a little bit yesterday too. They weren't clear about why it happened, but it was an issue with some folks out there. Noan badger says, I had to use my Verizon work phone to search if T Mobile was down. Tough time, I know. Yeah, you have to use your secondary phone. Yeah, that's a crazy crazy I never want to do that. It's definitely crazy. And that's as crazy as it gets. It doesn't get more craze.
Speaker 5: And now the headline is is T Mobile giving customers credits after Monday's outage?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 1: Shoot, was it T Mobile that wanted to pay everybody back that one time and people got mad that it wasn't enough or was that another one?
Speaker 5: And there's been different ones each time. It's hard to tell. Yeah, that outage I forgot.
Speaker 1: Okay, Tom emails Tips at the News Junki dot com and he says, this is about that wrong delivery story you had. This was a pick a side we do. Tom says, Hey, Sean, I heard on Friday show about the food delivery to the wrong house the door dash kid. That was like, I'm nineteen years old. You have pillars. You have pillars on your house. Although I feel the neighbor could have kept the food under Florida law even depriving somebody of their property as theft. Besides the question of interest, it's not really different than the old guy who mistakenly received the IRS check. He could have been charged if he didn't give it back, or if somebody accidentally drops their wallet on your lawn, you shouldn't be allowed to keep it. Take care, says Tom.
Speaker 3: Tom.
Speaker 1: The only thing I would I would take issue with with your statement is when it's a perishable or a food item or something that needs to be sanitary and safe for the end user, it is different. So, and in the case of like somebody dropping a wallet on your lawn, now that the wallet is very, very different as opposed to if somebody gets a delivery of food, the moment that person touches it, they're not going to give it to somebody else. Like imagine you're at a restaurant and they accidentally give you the wrong plate, but you touch the French fries. They're probably not going to just take those and put them over on the other person's you know, in front of the other person on their tape. Yeah, but is it the restaurant's right. Wouldn't it be the restaurants right to take that plate back and go, oh, sorry, we gave you the wrong thing, and then they get to take it in the back and throw it away, or if they just want to be dicks or eat it, if they want to go that route. But you know, they can't make you pay for it. They shouldn't make you pay for it, but they do. They are able to take it back. I would I would think they were allowed to just take it back and not serve it to somebody else. Yeah, I would think so, Or I would hope so. Tips at the news Junkie dot com. Davis says, this is from Davis. No need to keep me anonymous anymore. He was anonymous yesterday and then out of himself High Junkies, Davis says, following up from earlier, this was for see Lane's question about what I ended up doing for the tune up on my truck. I ultimately had to replace the fuel filter and the fuel pump. I also had to drop the entire gas tank, spray it out, and wipe down the inside to get all the contamination out. This was after his neighbor poured oil all over his stuff. After that, I cleaned out the rest of the fuel system. In the end, it made the truck run much smoother and got rid of most of the rough idle. I hope your day got better, see Lane, And I hope that your toilets stopped fighting back.
Speaker 5: Wiggle wiggle, pop pop. Did your day get better after? Yeah, my day was fine. It was just like that was a very jarring kind of uh. You know, it throws you off a little bit. It's a bad start.
Speaker 1: You want that. I wouldn't think that you wanted that. When we come back, we have a few things to work in here. We got to pick a side coming up and it's a pretty amazing one. I want to we have to say about this Brian Coberger. I don't know what's going on here, that this Brian Coberger scumbag. He kills these poor co ed girls who are in their their big shared house. He kills them all brutally, and then he says he's going to enter a guilty plea. And then they got a deal. He was off the table for the guilt. Please, yeah, he got a deal. They said, death penalty off the table. And then they did the brutal thing where all the family members come in and they you know, they say their peace. The family members give their information to try to impact sentencing or whatever the judge is going to do. The family members have to kind of relive those horrible moments and they get very very emotional as they stare down the person who killed their loved one. And they did all of that, and then they all left the court room and it was like, okay, this is done, you know, we're all done here. And now he's like, nah, change my mind. I think that I'm going to change my plea here and I'm gonna go with not guilty. Now I've never heard of this, but I guess that's what they're doing. So we'll look into how this could possibly happen. And I've got the actual note from him that he wrote, so we'll see what he says. A new video from Nancy Guthrie that dropped a tornado, and a whole lot more coming up next on the news, Chunkie Steel and be honest with me. Yeah, yeah, Do you have a long night last night? No, folks. He was trying to get ready for us to come back from breaking and he says in my headphones, he's like, all right, I have a great day. I went, you're going up, You're going up. You're good. It was gonna say, have a great day. I'm like, we have a lot of time left to no.
Speaker 10: No, I just no.
Speaker 1: Last night I was fine. I took it easy. I actually been stuffy and sneezy and that's been annoying. But right before I said that to you, I didn't realize, like, my wife is off all week, except apparently today she's has has something she's got to go in for, Like there's like an intern presentation because the intern season is coming to a close or something like that. And I was like, all right, cool, I'll see you after that. And she's like, well, then there's a dinner after that. I was like, oh, oh, all right, see after that. No, We're going to Level ninety nine. After that. I'm like, well, have fun, have a good time at level ninety nine. Are you lonely? You want like if we could have like a listener get together at your house? I mean no, I lonely. I'm jealous that she gets to go check out. Do you know what Level ninety nine is. Yeah, it's a new like sort of adult gaming place. I think how adults it is.
Speaker 5: I mean there are adults like options as far as like bars and stuff, but I think it's it's where Disney Quest used to be. And like when that place first opened, like that was a hot ticket because everything was so high tech and cool and there was VR stuff and you could build your own roller coaster on a computer and then ride it in a big simulator, and like this is kind of the new version of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's rooms where you have to like not fall on the floor and touch the lava, and there's rooms that are like kind of American Ninja warrior esque, and there there's a bunch of cool stuff about that. If any of you ever come to town, you should you should try that out. Or if you'r Sealand's wife, you get to do that tonight. Well he you know, just twiddles his thumb, absolutely, and a lot of thumb twiddling. Uh, just hangs out with Jackson or something. Spider Man Brand New Day is going to be explosively big this weeket. Already this was as of twenty four hours ago, already sixty million dollars in pre sale tickets at the box office. So like, if they didn't sell a single additional Spider Man ticket from now until the end of the weekend, Spider Man would have a sixty million dollar weekend. Right. There's some people suggest saying that this could possibly do eight hundred million dollars worldwide its first weekend, which is just short of the one point two billion that Avengers Endgame did. And it's just massive, man. But no matter what happens of the the person that stands to gain the most is Tom Holland. Tom Holland is about to beat himself at the box office. Oh that's right. He was in Avengers Endgame, right, No, he was in the Odyssey. He stars in the Odyssey. God, so he's he's at the top of the box office right now. And if this tracks like it looks like it might.
Speaker 5: If Spider Man A Brand New Day knocks the Odyssey off the top spot, well then Tom Holland will beat Tom Holland in the box office. And this is gonna work out swimmingly for Tom Holland. He is in the prime of his career right now.
Speaker 1: If that's the case, that's the Odyssey has done unbelievable in theaters. And now you've got the new Spider Man, Brand New Day movie coming out, and it shows people still have an audio. People sill have an appetite for for some of this stuff. Yeah, and his wife in frequent co stars and Daya appears in both films as well. Oh my god, so the Holland family is just coming up roses this summer. Holy cow, unbelievable. I always forget he has a British accent until I hear him talking mm hmm, and then when I hear him start yapping, I'm like, oh, that's right. Oh this guy. He seems like a nice dude though, So the movie's gonna be really really big this weekend. Some people Insider, suggesting it could do over two hundred million domestically in just the United States.
Speaker 5: That would be massive if true. I don't know if I've watched any of his Spider Man movies.
Speaker 1: I don't. I think I've seen a bunch of the Spider Man movies, but none of them really stick with me, Like I know this was this one.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 1: I think Andrew Garfield is kind of in the lame as Spider Man. Right, isn't he a Spider Man? I don't know, man, I was. I was watching the Toby McGuire, right, was that that? Yeah, and him be Spider Man? And I watched those theater you thought he was the worst. Yeah, he's nerdy, He's too nerdy to be Spider Man. Peter Parker is a nerd. Peter Parker is kind of nerdy, but then also a little bit cool too, at least in my mind the way I picture him, He's like a little nerdy, little cool ish, kind of more nerdy than cool, I guess, but I don't know. Toby McGuire is too goofy, like he always is. Is the other guy who's in love with some girl in the movie, but the girl doesn't actually end up wanting to be with him because he's you know that, that's the guy. He's always like the cut guy. He's always on the on the on the chair in the corner of the hotel room of the other couple's at who's playing Mary Jane these days? Oh, I don't know. Is it Zendiah Mary Jane actress? You know, maybe it's her. I think it might be. I think you're right, I think it might be her. In one of the movies they used like like a like a hotter old lady. No, okay, yeah Mary Jane, Yeah, yeah, that's right. Yeah. So it's gonna be explosively big this weekend. Let us know if you're gonna go out to see that. Some of the early reviews are just trickling in right now. Could make over two hundred million dollars if things go really, really well. For when you say hotter old lady, are you talking about them casting Marissa to May as Aunt May? That's what it was when they put Marissa Tomey in there, And it was such a shift from the Aunt May of the Toby Maguire days, where it was this old, frail lady and oh I miss your uncle Ben and then they have Marissa to May, who's hot. Yeah. They they brought Marissa to May in and just kind of, you know, nonchalantly, she's like, you know, I'm just I'm just your aunt here. I'm I'm Mary Jane or whatever she's. Yeah, she's the aunt, right, Aunt May. She's Aunt May in that world, and so does she play that in this too, Yes, so she'll be the aunt. And then you got you got him playing Spider Man role and then Zendaya playing the Mary Jane role and they're all just counting cash. Why not?
Speaker 7: Why not?
Speaker 1: Jesus? Yeah, Marisa Tomey, she popped in there and was like, there were some people going, is this what Spider Man's aunt looks like? Not always now they'll change was an old lady before. Yeah, they'll they'll mix them up. You know, there's like and then sometimes there'll be somebody who was like a good looking character and then they'll change them to not a good looking character.
Speaker 5: I just don't I don't know who who was in the boardroom going, yeah, guys, here's the thing. I'm I'm down with the Spider Man stuff at all, but Aunt May is not hot enough.
Speaker 1: Ramp it up. They went the other way with U. I used to love when I was young, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoons and even the first couple of movies from that, and uh April April Old Lady, April O'Neil, the reporter lady, and the cartoons was always like kind of this, you know, cute cartoon girl. And then they made her in some of the movies like, you know, an attractive woman, and I think they changed her. I think they uglified her at some point point, which I don't understand that strategy, but I guess that's that's Yeah, we'll see what happens. It's bold. Let's see here. Anonymous emails the show tips at the news Junkie dot com. Please keep me anonymous. Hi, Sean and Sea lanbe Well, don't repeat your name. Later, I have an update in the Nolan Wells case. Oh well, like you're part of it or something. If you guys don't know what's going on here. Actually he describes it a little bit, so I'll let him do this. This was the kid in Ocean Springs, Mississippi, who died out on Horn Island with his friends on July fourth, that y'all covered a few weeks back. I'll stop him here off the coast of Mississippi. Apparently there's this small little island called Horn Island, and some of the younger people will take their boats out off the coast and go to this little Horn Island and they'll party out there, especially on weekends like July fourth. And this young kid, Nolan Wells maybe eighteen I think eighteen ors ish, he went out with his friends on July fourth weekend to this Horn Island off the coast of Mississippi and u then they he went missing, and then they found him dead a couple of days later. And his family has seemingly insisted that something the farious happened here and that these kids that were his friends that brought him out there actually killed him and were covering up information. And they hired Ben Krump, the attorney who honestly, I mean this guy like, I see him getting into more and more of these cases where it looks to me and looking at all the evidence available like there wasn't anything nefarious at all going on here, it looks to me what is likely that I'll get to that in a second. I'll get into what likely is the case in a second, but let him finish, he said. I don't know if he covered the update yet, but evidently the kids called the DMR because their boat was sinking due to a bilge pump malfunctioning. The DMR recently released audio of the call. A sound expert engineered the call and cleaned it up and heard background exchanges between the kids. The claim being made here is that the boys are discussing Nolan's death in the background of the audio. But to me, as somebody who grew up around boats, the audio seems fairly innocuous what I would expect from drunken teenagers. Take a listen for yourselves, he says, can we cover it up?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I thought about that. They said, you killed him. He's already dead? Is he dead? I don't know if this audio is real at all. They just linked to like an Instagram post. I know that I saw the video or like a clip from when they were getting rescued in their boat and he was not on the boat. I know that there's somebody who afterwards said he was still on Horn Island after the boat left. I know that there is a lot of evidence to suggest he was hanging out with some unnamed woman afterwards, and that was drinking heavily while he was on the island, and it seems like what happened was he got drunk and somehow ended up drowning. That's what likely happened to Nolan Wells. But his family doesn't want to believe that. I don't blame them for not wanting to believe that. When your loved one, when a die at a young age like this, you know, you always want to look as far into it as you can, and the family deserves as many answers as they want. But other people like Ben Crump I don't think should be blowing smoke up the backside of people who are in these situations. Yeah, to get false hope and to stir up racial animis like what happened here is actually a great representation of where younger people are in twenty twenty six. Younger people don't care about the race of their friends, probably less so than they ever have in the history of the United States of America. They want to hang out with people that they think is cool, whether they think are cool and fun, and that they enjoy spending time with. And they were a bunch of white kids that were hanging out with his young black kid and they were friends. They were all friends with each other, right, So really, when I look at that, I see something completely different. But Ben Crump can see like Nefarity and the bad guy and the white people that were killing the young black kids. Sometimes things just happen and you got to wait until all the information comes in and see what happens here. But I don't buy the grand conspiracy. I saw miss Rachel who has just seems to becoming more unhinged with her activism. I don't care what she does for like little kids shows and stuff, but she was like, this would never have happened if Nolan Wells was white. I'm going what prey tell would be different. There is a massive investigation ongoing. There has been nationwide and global attention shined on this case. The authorities have been bending over backwards to placate the family and try to do everything they can to make sure the public is at ease with what's going on in this investigation. People have been there's been a huge outpouring of support from people who have been watching this. People have been trying to give up every little photograph and video that they possibly can to give you the full picture of what happened to your son, and I feel very very bad that this happened to you, and I feel very very bad that your son died. But it definitely does appear that it was just an accident, right and and like miss Rachel comes in and goes, this wouldn't have happened if he was white. I'm like, what would be different? What it all would be? What has gone wrong here? This craziness, this is very just bizarre behavior. Instead of looking at this and going this is a travesty. Sucks that this happened for this family. Let's get all the information. But right now, it certainly looks like this might have just been a tragic accident. That's how I feel about it, emailer. But I appreciate your insight onto that audio, and I see other people talking about that audio, so it looks like that might be legit.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 1: The comment I thought about it was that it was hard to make out anything from the audio, but I.
Speaker 8: Have to look to it.
Speaker 1: It was kind of should we listen to it? I can, I can bring it up. Hang on, let me see the person who emailed about this. I'll try to get this on. Is this it No, that's not it. I don't know where they were. I'll have to look up the Nolan Wells guy's name here, No, Nolan Well's case updates and feedback. Here's the real is there cursing Sea Liane or No? I haven't heard it. Okay, I'll pop it up. Oh, this is somebody else playing it?
Speaker 13: Somebody Before I play this, I want to quickly explain what I did so before I play this, I want to quickly explain what I did so want on face on the screen, and why I chose to approach this audio the way that I did. As a professional audio engineer, with the experience in dialogue editing, dialogue clean up, sound design, and post production, I decided to work on that see to call using traditional audio processing techniques rather than relying on any AI voice separation or a How do.
Speaker 1: I fast forward? She says, you could fast forward to three twenty, but I don't know how to do that on an Instagram video. I mean peepawing out over here. Yeah, you're gonna have to like what I was supposed to do. I'm not going to see her for three minutes and forty seconds.
Speaker 5: But you blab send it to me and we can look at it later. I'll download the thing so it's in a format that you can you can scrap through. I'll tell you what we'll do. Maybe we'll put that injury duty. Because I want everybody to get the full picture of what happened. I'm not, you know, ever, trying to hide any kind of information from everybody. I want everybody to hear all the things that happened.
Speaker 1: I just think that that was not some grand racial thing, or they didn't kill their friend and cover it up, And it's just it's kind of scummy that people get involved and inflame things more than they need to. So that's how I feel about it. All right, quick break, when we come back, we'll get to this tornado that I was talking about. We'll get fired up for this big pick a side on the way. We got the hot sheet and much more, and it's all coming up next on the news Junkie. This is this is one of the weird stories of the day, honestly, but this is a true story. I guess I'll bring this up in front of me here. It happened in New Jersey. Hello to our friends in New Jersey, especially those at the YMCA camp where this all went down. Apparently thirteen children between the ages of ten and thirteen. I want you to remember back when you were just a young child, just between ten and thirteen. Apparently they ate chocolate edible that were laced with psilocybin mushrooms. So so one of the campers goes like, I've got chocolates, everybody, and they're handing them out to the eleven, twelve, thirteen year old kids. Everybody at the camp's like, ah, YMCA camp, Oh, let's eat these chocolates. And they eat it. Thirteen kids eat these chocolates and there's psilocybin mushrooms and they're like, you know, the mushrooms that make a trip out, and the kids start tripping out and it the headline is little baby zombies New Jersey. YMCA campers fed mash magic mushrooms lace edibles and this is the magic mushrooms. Growing up, I think that was older generation. Yeah, like the people my sister and her friends, they had a trend at that time of black light posters, and you'd go into their rooms and they would have, you know, the character from Alice in Wonderland, the smoking dude, and they would like have all this trippy stuff and they would say magic mushrooms. Man, I think that was I think that's a gen X thing, I believe. I think the gen X that often forgot about generation came up with the magic mushrooms thing. But maybe that goes back to this magic. Yeah, they are for these kids. They were, according to police report, and East Orange YMCA counselor noticed the camper that was handing out candy shortly after kids began complaining about feeling sick. One parent told The New York Times the affected children, who were evaluated and allowed to be picked up by their that they looked like little baby zombies. Are they get The New York Times story on this unbelievable if thirteen children accidentally consume edibles, Hang on, let me jump over the paywall on this thirteen children accidentally consume edibles, it says, at this YMCA summer camp in New Jersey.
Speaker 5: You think, if you're the counselor at this camp and all the kids are suddenly either high or just laughing a whole lot, are you going we need to get them all to the hospital right now?
Speaker 1: Or are you going ooh? This was kind of on me and I could get in big trouble. Let's just kind of all right, Let's let's end play time for now. Let's set up a nice quiet room and turn the lights down low and let them relax in there and wait this thing out. Thirteen children accidentally consume edibles at New Jersey YMCA summer camp. The YMCAs had a camper had handed them out without its knowledge. Apparent described the children as looking like little baby zombies. This says thirteen kids were sickened. Another camper at the summer program, who serves children ages ten to thirteen, shared the edibles with the children without the knowledge or consent to the YMCA. He said employees contact and emergency services and the police and parents of those affected. The campers were evaluated and released to their parents. Mister Gorap said the YMCA policy prohibited children from sharing food with other campers. The safety of every child in our care is our highest priority. I remember that being a rule back in YMCA camp where we couldn't share food. We shared food all the time, we bartered it. There weren't the access to the stuff like this wasn't as common though, Maybe so they didn't worry about that quite as much. Maybe so the only guests I have. The chocolate edibles were laced with magic mushrooms, According to news reports and a statement provided NBC and other news outlets, the East Orange Police Chief said detectives were conducting a thorough investigation to determine how this occurred and how these suspected edibles came into the possession of a juvenile, whether any criminal offenses were committed. Stannie Destiny, Oh Destiny with an a I never heard this from Dsta and y Destiny. Yasmina said she heard a little before noon about her eleven year old son that there was something wrong with him and he consumed edibles. He has a number of medical conditions, including cerebral palsy, epilepsy, and anxiety. She said. When she arrived at the YMCA, she found her son in near psychosis and shaking badly. Oh my, he was saying, I don't want to die. I don't want to die. The thirty one year old mother said in an interview, the other children, who are the other children who take the edibles looked very dehydrated and had white lips. She said it was the worst sight I've ever had to see. There was another kid whose blood pressure spiked after taking the edibles. When they brought him to the hospital, it was clear that he was actively hallucinating. He was gazing up at the ceiling and talking to himself. How strong were these chocolates. This is really a testament to the product here, I would think.
Speaker 5: Also, I mean, my kid, say chocolate will gaze up at the ceiling and talk to himself when when left.
Speaker 1: Who is on a cord? So I think that's that big of a deal. Oh, I did know a kid. I don't know if I've ever told this story before. I had some friends when I was younger, and their parents were the kind of parents who they like, grew marijuana plants in the backyard. They would openly smoke with their kids. The parents actually owned a hemp company, all right, and like, you know, this is this kid is his parents own this company where they make shirts and a pail out of hemp that have marijuana leaves on them. And at that time I was like, oh, this is this is kind of cool. And him and his brother went over to Amsterdam. I think we were like seventeen or so at this time. Him and his brother went over to Amsterdam and they went into one of the places over there and he tried trooms for the first time. I think his name is Ben, but I'm not sure. And he tries out these shrooms and his brother did too, and his probably was totally fine. But he came back and he was weird for a while. He came back because the parents that had this happened to with the Wye SI are saying, my kid is still acting strange after all these days. Ben came back from Amsterdam and he would just sit in his room and stare at the fan for for like weeks, like literally weeks. You just stare at his fan in the room.
Speaker 5: And that's so weird to me because it either seems like he got something different than what you would normally get when you think of getting shrooms, yeah, or or he just tried to pound of them all at once or I don't know, because I mean, you didn't get a lot.
Speaker 1: You've tried it. I've tried it, yeah, I was. There was not lasting effects, yeah, yeah for some of these people there were, especially this young kid and my friend. And then I remember he stayed in his room for a couple of weeks there to the fan almost all the time, and then he u he stops staring at the fan because he started reading these books he had that said every movie that won every award ever in the history of movies. And then finally when he started acting normal again, when we would talk about movies, he'd be like, oh, yeah, that movie won the Oscar for Best Picture in nineteen seventy six. But he developed some weird mushroom memory. He got some crazy ability where he remembered every movie that won every award in the history of movie awards. I mean like literally, like he'd be like Casablanca nineteen fifty two Best Picture whatever. He'd you know, every single movie at every single award. So all I could tell this woman at the YBCA with the young kid who ate too many magic mushrooms and the chocolate that was handed out to the kids is give him some sort of book and then just let him at it, right, something that back, a book about how to create AI or something something that will make him very, very wealthy down the road. But they said they looked like little zombies at this New Jersey YMC summer camp. Quite a scene there speaking of quite a scene in Appleton, Wisconsin and surrounding areas, just absolute destruction. As a tornado whip through that area. Afterwards, somebody driving through, I believe they said, I'll put this up on see it now so you can see the visual at your leisure. But I believe somebody said, like this used to be the heart of this neighborhood here, Like this used to be sort of like the downtown area, and now all these houses destroyed. There's a truck flipped upside down on the houses, and everything is just absolutely smashed up. Oh god, there's just no house escaped. It just destruction in this neighborhood. Power lines down everywhere, devastating. Yeah, unbelievable.
Speaker 5: So your house was not that bad off in this kind of destruction. Everything else around you is so screwed right now that I wouldn't want to be there anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's tough. Destructive tornado touching down near Appleton, Wisconsin, leaving a trail of damage. Peak winds one hundred and eleven miles per hour or more. This was southwest of Green Bay. Toppled trees and power lines damaged, lots of stuff. One hundred, well four hundred thousand utility customers in Wisconsin and Illinois out of power afterwards. Some of those coming back online if you were affected, obviously absolutely thoughts with you and all the rest. But let me get a screenshot of this. There we go. I'll put this up on see it now, so when you get a chance, you can see what the damage from this tornado looked like. We're going to take a quick break and when we come back, we're going to do the hot sheet after that. We got a pick a side that's one of the better ones we've done in a while, in Jury Duty Sea Line censoring that audio from the boat that the emailer was talking about about the Nolan Wells case. And this was the beginning of what we have coming up in the second half of today's show. And that's all coming up next on the News Junkie. We'll get to the hot sheet in just a moment. Here, let's see I put that clip up of the tornado which was over a mile wide, I guess over on see it now on Theewsjunkie dot com. I have a one, one or two quick clips before we get into the hot sheet. Here's Trump in Michigan talking to a crowd at a General Motors facility. Let's see what he said. That's starting to go viral.
Speaker 8: Love Trump because I've done more for you than your parents. Okay, your parents are good, really low.
Speaker 1: Your parents that I can tell you, and they would agree with me wherever they may be, they would agree.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 1: Trump has done more for you than your parents. He says, you can agree or disagree. Hit us up with an email. And then this clip, this just says me. Who I don't know. I haven't heard this yet. For years, you watch companies move production from America down to Megiho. I love the way. There's a very nice president of Mexico.
Speaker 11: You know that.
Speaker 3: It's very nice, and she speaks beautifully and she calls it may As you watch companies, I.
Speaker 1: Heard that Mayo, meyo, mego. I might need to keep that next to my Japan. I might have to keep that on file over here. All right, right now, let's get into it. Oh, very very quick. Big thank you. I'm so sorry, Sea Lane, stand by, stand by. I promise I would do this, so I need to make sure I'm staying on top of things. Big fat, gigantic, juicy. Thank you to DJ Schmickey for the three gifted subscriptions. Thank you so much for that generous We appreciate the support DJ Schmickey out there on the ones and the twos. Jay Turn with four gifted subscriptions, Thank you, Jay Turn, Thank you for that premium subscriptions on the news junky dot Com and suns State John again with thirteen in this man, thirteen's on un lucky number. Well look at him.
Speaker 3: Go there you go.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that big support. Coming in your next Every single gifted subscription counts. Let's do the Hot Sheet. It's news, but not like important news. That's best again to reporting on the planet.
Speaker 10: Those top stories from the people on your screen, men speakers are on the Hot sheet with Sea Lane.
Speaker 5: That's right, the top five stories of the nonsense news brought to you by that mortgage guy.
Speaker 1: Don don't we start in New York where this guy is getting honored, Old Dirty, Old dirty Bastard is Curl. That's of course, Shimmy shimmy, Yeah. His song as a hit song. And there is a street in Brooklyn that is being renamed in honor of the late Wu Tang Clan co founder Old Dirty Bastard, the corner of Franklin Avenue and Putnam Avenue and Bedford Stuyvessant, also known as Oh uh beat B style Bedsty Bedsty often shortened to Bedstive Brooklyn has now been co named O. D. B. Jones Way.
Speaker 5: Following a ceremony on Sunday attended by the friends and family of Old Dirty Bastard aka Russell Tyrone Jones.
Speaker 1: So now there's going to be O. D. B.
Speaker 5: Jones Way in Brooklyn, which I think this is it's kind of a rare occurrence that a street name would get so close to what some would say a bad word, like, you know, bastard is not not a word that we you know, usually let kids say a lot and there'll be some kid asking Mommy, what's O. D. B. Jones Way mean? And they'll have to be well, that's for Old Dirty Bastard Jones. Jones, who died of an over dose in two thousand and four, was born and raised in the Fort Green area of Brooklyn. The newly dedicated corner is directly in front of a famed mural of his nineteen ninety four debut soul album Return to the Thirty six Chambers, the Dirty Version. Now, there are other street names that are potentially offensive. Most of them are racially insensitive in some shape or form, like there's a lot of Redskin drive, or there's ones that honor Confederate generals and stuff where people would say maybe we shouldn't have, you know, Stonewall Jackson Road or Robert E.
Speaker 1: Lee Drive.
Speaker 5: But there is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, is a creek that that sucks you in like a river style what are you about to do? Called suck Creek Road, suck Creek, suck creek. It says suck historically refers to dangerous whirlpools or river currents rather than the modern insult like you suck. And then I guess in Idaho they still I don't know if it's officially or unofficially, but there's a creek that they call Bitch Creek, and so the roadway is called.
Speaker 1: Be this sequel to Shit's Creek and Bitch Creek and just redo the whole thing.
Speaker 5: The roadway itself is called State Highway thirty two, but I think most people just kind of know of it as Bitch Creek Road, or they go over the Bitch Creek Bridge. The odyssey they were talking about, you know, obviously it got leaked, but that doesn't matter because they're still printing money. And then Tom Holland's about to have the best summer ever him and his wife. But there is a writer who was not so impressed with the film, and they might know a thing or two about it. Because the classics professor whose translation of the Odyssey from the Greek poem like the most recent translation, Emily Wilson. She's a classical studies professor at the University of Pennsylvania. She wrote the twenty seventeen translation from Ancient Greek to English that inspired the twenty twenty six blockbuster. Yeah, she just had like terrible things to say about the movie.
Speaker 1: Whenever I see this stuff, I'm like, you know, what, what have you done?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 1: Like I know that she did. I'm pretty sure that translation of the Odyssey was actually controversial in its own right. I remember when that came out that there was something to that. But the words that she had for this, I go, at what point have you made something that's so popular and successful that when somebody says it's this terrible, You're like, that's a shot on you and not not Christians.
Speaker 5: He was blaming Chris Nolan for the script. She said, none of the characters has convention motivation for the action to words, there are no sex scenes, and all of the food looks horrible.
Speaker 1: She said she was humbled that.
Speaker 5: No one cited her version of the first line of the poem, tell Me about a Complicated Man, but admitted she would be ashamed to have written any part of this script. Yet, she said, it's still the release of the film is the event to celebrate. Thanks to Nolan for doing his best to get the general public reading.
Speaker 1: Again. Well, thanks, but but how could you say I would be ashamed to have written any part of this script? What ashamed? It's one of the most successful movies in the history of the format.
Speaker 5: She's trying to go hot take say on this because everybody else is praising the movie, except for the small group of you know, wanna be squeaky wheels who are mad that there's not enough Greek people in it, or that the Helen of Troy was black or stupid stuff like that. But anyway, over to California, if you were at San Diego Comic Con over the weekend and you took pictures with somebody dress like Deadpool, there's a very good chance that you took pictures with Ryan Reynolds, because he's been the latest celebrity to kind of wear a disguise. You know, Comic CON's a perfect place to do this. Previously we had Walter White did it, but that's Ryan Criston wore like a kind of cheap looking Brian Cranston mask and just dressed up as Heisenberg and walked around and took pictures with people. And now one of the few places on the planet where they say, if you see a superhero walking around with a mask, it might actually be the superhero. Ryan Reynolds was super excited to get down on the floor and mingle amongst people. He said, no handlers, no security, no ropes.
Speaker 1: What a gift. Thanks to everyone I met who aren't only cosplaying but world building and also actual Sergeant Slaughter, which I guess is one of the pictures that he posted where he met Sergeant Slaughter. Okay, there's a woman going viral for attending an Usher concert. Usher's on tour with Chris Brown, and Usher does this thing that I always think, like, I know, there's plenty of people who would be excited to do this, so I don't know that it's something we need to get rid of, but it is always kind of awkward when he does the I'm gonna pull a female audience member on stage and give them a lap dance. A stranger whom I've never met before is going to get the Usher lap dance treatment. But the interaction turned unexpected between Usher and the audience members during a recent stop on the Stadium tour, when the woman seemed to be not into it, kind of shutting him down on stage. Is this the woman?
Speaker 7: This is her?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the brought her up on stage and he's like a grown ass man and she's much younger than him, so I guess he kind of like strips down a little bit, and he's trying to do like a sexy dance around her, trying to like almost kiss her, and I think she pulls away. She's like being kind of a gamer. But when he goes in a little further, yeah, she pulls backward.
Speaker 6: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: And then it didn't seem that bad. But his face is like, what she just pulled away from me? What the hell?
Speaker 5: Well, she says, she has a reason. She said, I am not here for you, Usher, I am here for Chris. I wanted Chris and Chris only I just wanted to get on stage so that I could get as close to Chris Brown as I could possibly get. Sorry, I really turned around his reputation, I guess so, and last, but not least, And I almost didn't do this. And then you you brought up the the sports commentators talking about their foot sees and there and their pedicures. But yeah, sure, there's there's a little bit of a drought in the sports news world, and uh so we have this, which I thought is a hilarious story. Obviously, baseball teams have a lot of work to do. They have a big schedule of a couple of hundred games a season that they have to do. So you would naturally kind of just learn over the years that if you're on a baseball team and you have to plan life events, you have to plan them outside of your season. And so multiple baseball players may have to only resort to those certain months where they can plan stuff like this where it would make sense. And now we have four players on the Minnesota Twins are getting married on the same day together. No, No, four separate players, four separate weddings. Minnesota Twins players Ryan Kreedler, Brooksley, Luke Kay and Cole Sands. They're all getting married on November fourteenth. Wow, players a couple of their agents overlap, and so the agents are having the wedding hop because they're like, I don't know how we're going to make it to all of these But the players credit the coincidence to their busy baseball schedule, saying like, hey, we've been booked up this whole time. November fourteenth is the only day we can get married. And so all four of those players will be throwing separate weddings right there in mid November, and congratulations mazel toof to all of them, and they'll be right back for the baseball field when when all that's over, when the honeymoon's are done and it's the opening day again, they'll be back on the twins. If you have a mortgage rate with a seven or eight in front of it.
Speaker 6: What are you doing?
Speaker 5: You're wasting your money. That mortgage guy Don wants to help you refin immediately. All you got to do is go to his website, that mortgage guy down dot com. He's got plenty of ways he can help you out on there. If you have a quote, upload that quote. Make sure you compare it with Don, because you might be leaving money on the table. Find him today at that mortgage guy don dot com.
Speaker 1: Thank you Sea Lane, big gigantic, massive ups to BEDM Bread for the fifteen gifted subscriptions. Fifty holy crap, that deserves one of my screams. Did you keep the scream? Or I do have the scream? Fifty five zero go claim them. There's like thirty left over there. Premium subscriptions. That's what you're getting out of me for fifty five zero. BDM Brett, thank you for the support. That's huge, absolutely massive. We greatly appreciate it. Premium subscriptions unlock all of the features of the website. You get the ad free live stream over at thenewsjunkie dot com. You can stream that on your own over there, or use the big screen version of it. You get full access to the apps. You get to unlock uncensored secret shows, including another one we're doing this week on Thursday. You can watch live on Thursday or on demand on Friday. It's all right there for you in a great way to support the show thanks to BDM Bread and a fifty gift care can we come back? We got to pick a side for you. I think this one's gonna get people fired up. Let's see how it goes. That's coming up next on the News Junkie. We've got this Nolan Wells audio clip. Will play that in jury duty and all of that stuff as we move forward on a busy show here on to share the show Tuesday. But right now, I think we all know what time it is. It's time for our latest pick aside version of it. Yeah, my own version. All right, I've got to pick a side for you. And here's what I know about this video. We're gonna learn a little bit together. I haven't watched the whole thing. Sea Land censored this. It's there's some guy who I guess all he did was walk down the streets of Minnesota with an American flag?
Speaker 2: Is that it or there?
Speaker 5: I didn't watch as much of it. I just kind of cleaned it up, and you know, we could learn when we get to it.
Speaker 12: All.
Speaker 1: Right, here we go, let's do this. Pick a side. This is a man who's walking through the streets of Minnesota with an American flag. Here we go. Yeah, I can't come down here. And it's like, observe who said that. I'm just saying, you're just saying what I'm just saying that, you're just saying what I just said.
Speaker 6: That come this far.
Speaker 1: Problem, that's what you're trying to do. Problem. I got a flag, bro, I got a flag. That's what I got a flag. It is a flag. Here. If I get shot over a flag, now looks bad on you.
Speaker 6: Everybody's so mad about an American flag?
Speaker 1: Does he have armor on two? I don't know. I mean, he literally is just walking around with an American flag. But maybe is he doing more to inflames things or what? Because if you are, if people are getting angry over just an American flag, that's pretty wild. But is there something I'm not noticing about out this? Yep, yep, he's ronning. Police. Call the police, call police, all right, he does have some sort of vest on ceiling drive. This hurts my heart, man.
Speaker 6: I can't even see here without feeling like I got a little much in the window of the lock my door because somebody walks by.
Speaker 8: It's a disgrace.
Speaker 6: No one can have kids safe down here, especially if you're white.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 8: It's a joke.
Speaker 1: What the fuck has this state come to? Minnesota?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 6: I look around every damn like there's so much exposing and I can do This is a play. Play is for any content creator. I can't get to anything that I want to. There's so much what crime?
Speaker 1: Why is he crying? He is crying here at the end, and then this is somebody else just going over his video. I guess, Yeah, the rest of it is a guy that's just recapping it and making his own commentary on it. Okay, I can see that he's he's got a flag, right, He's got his flag here that he's bringing down the road, and there were people reacting. I can't see if there's anything like maybe would have something offensive on his shirt.
Speaker 5: No, well, I mean it's hard to tell because it looks like he's wearing some sort of you know, vest or armor or something he you know, I don't know if there's some of this that he has not included or edited out for whatever, but he does seem like he's just there to be a dick.
Speaker 1: I got different perspectives on this. Carlos says he's so full of it, and then Ananamo says he's not wrong. All he was doing was walking along holding a flag. It's sad, don I don't know if I'm missing something here Bart versus Bill Gates says, rage bait. That may be like if if Minnesota, Minneapolis in particular, is at some strange point inflection point where if you walk down the street with an American flag it triggers people into going crazy and just absolutely losing it. That's bizarre and should be pointed out. But I don't want to fall prey to this if there's not more to it. Somebody says he's trying to get clicks and likes. Yeah, but what what else is going on that would cause people to react? Because there were there were people following him around, and the one got pretty early on was following him around. The dude with like a four wheeler. This neighborhood does look like a disaster area. I don't know what the hell's going on around here. But then there was a different car that pulled up, this second car right here causing problems in my neighborhood. Bro, all right, but there has to be more to this, just because why would some these dudes, these black dudes in this car pull up to this guy and say you're causing problems in my neighborhood. I don't believe that it was just because he had an American flag. There might be neighborhoods where people get triggered by that. It's like already there might be, you know, some very very like extremist neighborhoods where people like the American flag is a symbol of and a bunch of terrible stuff. And that's that's bad if that's the case. But I think something else is missing here. Well, I googled his name because he's got his name on it. Zach X.
Speaker 5: That's him, and it says a Minnesota based right wing social media agitator and local political candidate. He's facing criminal assault charges and harassment orders. He was running in Uh he was, He says, it's running in a special primary election for the Saint Cloud City Council Ward four. That's Saint Cloud, Minnesota. Yeah, there was some stuff that happened at Fort Snelling. Fifth degree, fifth degrees, So I didn't know assault went to five degrees? Is that the degree assault?
Speaker 1: Well, if you get that far along, is that the worst assault is those that was going on.
Speaker 5: I thought usually the higher the number of degree, the lower of the thing is. But fifth degree assault sounds like I just flicked the guy. Somebody says when he's walking around yelling free Derek Chauvin. That's the problem is did he do that? Is there any proof that he did that? If he did, he didn't, he's not putting it in his own video.
Speaker 1: Bar Lovels love Us says, Sean, you have a keen sense for trolling videos, but I think they may have got you on this one. Nobody got anybody. I'm displaying the video and then I'm saying, I think the reaction from these people has to be over more than just an American flag, right, Like, like, I know there's a bunch of people in chat already. I just fundamentally disagree with it. Like, yeah, but because white supremacists walk with the American flag, that's ridiculous. You can have the most extremist people try to co opt something. It's our flag, it's the flag of the United States of America. If anybody is triggered by the American flag, they could kiss my ass. That's ridiculous.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: I'm not falling for that for a second. But I'm also not falling for I don't believe these dudes were running around saying, are you causing trouble in my neighborhood over simply the American flag. There's no way that's the case.
Speaker 10: It didn't.
Speaker 1: They didn't even look like the type. Like if this was some neighborhood in Portland and you got a bunch of like pierced nose types and you know, purple haired ladies and all that, then I'd go, oh, those might be the people who would be triggered by the American flag. But not not these people that I'm seeing here. It's in the full video. I don't know. There's the video that I've seen getting some attention out there. There's just there's got to be more to it. Absolutely, it has to be more to that's the full video.
Speaker 5: I mean is does there exist a full video that he would post if that made him not you know, if it kind of countered his arguments here.
Speaker 1: I don't know. He's the one posting it. This visit, this video wasn't the whole one he posted. Arna send a link if you can. I mean, I don't want to play too much of it, but she's suggesting that he was walking around playing or screaming free Derek Chauvin. If you're saying that, if you don't know who that is, Derek Chauvin is the cop that you know put his knee on George Floyd's neck, And if he's going through Minnesota, Minneapolis and he's shouting out stuff like that, then it would be pretty clear that that's going to inflame people, right, no matter what, no matter what you think about that topic, like, that's obviously going to inflame people. But if you're saying that in getting a reaction, it's not gonna go as viral as Oh it's because of the American flag, right, That's that's what I don't believe in.
Speaker 5: He was arrested as he was a counter protester at a No Kings protest. Charges say, while counterprosting, counter protesting, and shouting Santa isn't real.
Speaker 1: He had his camera pointed toward a child. The child's father turned to push his phone away, and then he punched the man and gave him a broken nose, which will require surgery. He was arrested for not only the assault, but he was wearing that bulletproof vest, and if you wear the vest in commission of a felony, you get an additional charge. No way. Yeah, So this sounds to me like he's definitely stirring the pot and he's trying to be antagonistic, and then when when somebody this is, by the way, the worst form of social media content that happens right now. So am I pick aside, I'm picking anybody else other other than I pick the neighborhood. Yeah, I picked the neighborhood over this, because if you go around somebody's neighborhood and you're purposely like you're screaming out there's no Santa to little kids, which is messed up and obviously not true kids. Obviously this is not true. He's just trying to like make little kids cry and say that this this kind of stuff is true. Like, this is the behavior of an anti social loser. This is the behavior of somebody who is willing to, with no shame, be as nasty as possible to spark a reaction from somebody else, and then when that reaction comes around you saw pull. This is called a Mott and Bailey. I don't know if you guys have heard of this before, but in the world, I know what a mottin Bailey is. But please just remind everybody else for the world of like debate and argumentation and conversation, a Mott and Bailey it comes from a like a castle and a mott and bailey would be you are are doing something very very aggressive, but then you retreat to another point to make it look like that's what's causing the problem. So it's like the switcheroo if you.
Speaker 5: Basically to say that if this guy was going through the neighborhood with his American flag and screaming free Derek Chauvin, and then all the whole neighborhood wants to beat his ass. Now he goes, well, I can't hold my American bug. He exactly right.
Speaker 1: Yes, you you start with something that's over the top, mega controversial that gets everybody fired up, and that's your that's the bailey, right, this like mega controversial thing, and then the mot is the thing that's not controversial. In this case the American flag. And on a castle, a mot was like this high hill by the castle, and the bailey was this open lower courtyard area. So it's like a it's a trick. It's an argument trick where you you're doing something intense and controversial, but then you you kind of hide behind the fact. You're like, oh, I'm not gonna say this. Here's what I would say Another example for those of you who are like who are leaning right. Another example would be the Democratic Socialists of America, the DSA people. They sort of hide their power level and they'll be like, what is it so wrong to just want medicare for all? And you're like, no, of course that's not wrong. A medicare for all is a normal thing to ask for. Well, whether I agree with it or disagree with is another thing. But they're hiding the radicalness of their take behind. Oh no, I just want medical care for all. No, they don't. The people on that side want to tear down the entire imperial system, and they want to tear down America, and they want to shut down the Senate, and they want to get rid of the Supreme Court, and they want to completely upend society. In this case, if this guy's going around the neighborhood and shouting free Derek Chauvin and then saying, hey, they're mad at the American flag, you're lying. So you know, the side I pick is the neighborhood. I think we all probably do, but maybe you don't. Maybe you pick the flag guy. Let us know what you think. I picked a really nice car that he was afraid of that's the side that I'm on.
Speaker 7: What was that?
Speaker 14: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It looked nice though, like a Rolls Royce or something. They're like something fancy. Give us your thoughts on which side you pick. Let us know over at the Newsjunkie dot com. Okay, let's see a couple of things. Somebody posted this. You know, I don't know if you've heard about this or not, but this has gone megaviral all over a bunch of social platforms, a lot of attention on the grip. This is some guy who posted, if your iPhone has been hot, like physically, if you've been touching your iPhone it bay man, this thing is it's getting hot and been dying fast since late June. It's not your battery, it's update twenty six point five point two. Here's how to fix it without waiting for Apple. And the claim is that twenty six point five point two landed on iPhones on June twenty ninth, and now it's draining people's batteries and overheating their phones.
Speaker 5: Is the claim that this is another one of Apple's like ways of you know, updating the phone to make the battery drain faster. So that you need to get a new phone, and this is and we're going to just never upgrade our software. Or is it like, hey, this is a bug that's happening right now. They're gonna fix it. But in the meantime, here's how you can fix it.
Speaker 1: Maybe it says every update makes your phone re scan every file and phone to rebuild its index, spiking heat and drain for a few days. For most people, it never settles because the settings below it are draining. On top of that, you got to kill the background auto refreshed, turn off Apple Intelligence, fix your location trafficking. There's like, oh my god, it's like a six part list that they said, if it's still hot after three days, the reindexing should finish within seventy two hours. Help it along. So I have not had this happen, but I don't even know if I have this version. There's enough of you out there listening right now, let us know if you've had this as your iPhone been actually physically hot and then the battery been dying fast. Here's the proble way, Jim, where's this guy sending this tweet from? Because I have not noticed my phone to be physically hot except in days, you know, on days where right now we're the dead heat of summer, and sometimes it's just hot because it's hot because the car is an oven, because you know, the sun is beaming down on everybody. Yeah, look, physically, the temperature is making your phone hotter than anything else. This person says. It tells you your battery life gets worse because of the modernization of the operating system. I found my sixteen Promax has gotten shocking battery life since that update, and now we're on twenty six point six, openly telling you they're going to f up your battery life and performance. They're scammers. So this guy's saying that it's it. So first, this person's saying that Apple does not intend to fix this. This is just something that they're putting in there on purpose to make your battery life worse. He's backing up what you said. He's saying, like, you know, over time, they want to make your phone, what is it, redundant or not not redundant, dumb. They want to like brick your phone so that even if you weren't considering an update, you do because the performance starts slugging out of nowhere. Lorraina says, yes, it's been awful. Yes, mine has. It's an iPhone fourteen, so I'm not surprised they wanted me to upgrade. A bunch of people are saying yes. So let us know as your iPhone as of the last updates been physically hotter and the battery life been dying. Is this a bigger problem? What was the version we're supposed to be worried about. Oh shoot, hang on, let me get back to him. I have twenty six point five point two. I think that's what you said, twenty six point five point two. Has your phone been hot or dying? I haven't noticed hot, and I don't know. I have like regular places in my day where I charge it, so I don't know. I haven't noticed anything crazy. We'll see what's happening with that. I also want to tell you something about the Odyssey that is incredibly shocking to hear. We've got another pick aside that I hate to say. I'm gonna send it over to Sea Lane. I got to send this to him, all right, because it's a really, really good one and we have much more to get into as they share the show Tuesday rolls on. That's all coming up next on The News Chunkie.
Speaker 3: We've got a very traumatic, intense pick.
Speaker 15: A side on the way in the final hour of the show.
Speaker 1: Also, we're going to talk to a bar owner about why the NFL might not be available and your local bar and the insane thing that the greedy ass NFL is doing to some of these small businesses across the country, or all of them really for that matter. It's pretty crazy. So we'll get into that in just a bit, plus your feedback over at the news Junkie dot com. I'm just gonna go ahead and say, I don't think this is going to happen, but I have to tell you the story since it's here. Something from our past is trying to make a return to prominence, a comeback, if you will, a La Kim Kardashian happening, they say. And this story is MySpace owners have planned a comeback for the iconic social network. How many times we had the MySpace come back, This is the biggest one, the biggest comeback you could ever imagine. My Space is coming back. Chris and Tim Vanderhook, the brothers who purchased it from News Corp. And their company, say they're planning to relaunch the iconic social network MySpace. Well, I have all my old content if I log in. Still I want to see that my top eight look like. Yeah, I want to see my top eight. I want to see what my like auto play profiles, song is my messages back and forth with people. Oh god, let's let's unveil that. After all these years, does.
Speaker 5: My does my headline under my profile picture still have an Elton John quote?
Speaker 1: Probably? Yeah? Ceiling had music on their folks have some songs, some originals on there. Oh god, nobody wants this. Chad says, no, not me. What you guys, you don't want It's another option for social media. Is a lot of bad I had stuff on social media on those platforms. Maybe MySpace coming back will save everything. Probably not, but maybe it will save everything. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 5: I wonder do you have to opt in for your profile to show up? It would be probably better for everybody. Everybody listening to the sound of my voice was a different person when they had MySpace.
Speaker 1: Hopefully.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean people don't say the same for that long, you know. So there might have been some things on your MySpace that you wouldn't want to put on there these days.
Speaker 1: Oh god, could you imagine if they if they relaunched everybody's MySpace pages and didn't let you opt out or anything, and then everybody had to go quickly delete their profiles because they were afraid of getting canceled or or whatever.
Speaker 8: Yea happened.
Speaker 1: I don't know what will be in there. I don't know what I posted. How long ago was that that MySpace shut down? Twenty years now? Let's see, YouTube is YouTube and a lot of the big platforms came out in two thousand and five, so that's they're now twenty years old. If I go to MySpace dot com right now, yeah, let me say, there's stuff there MySpace dot com all right, yeah, yeah, there's there's stuff. Yeah, and it looks more like a weird news music news website or something. Yeah. Well, because justin Timberlake was supposed to be the one that was bringing it back for everybody. Yeah, that's what I thought. But now, oh, maybe this is their version of it. Sign into MySpace using your Facebook accounts? Yeah, that's so weird. How a bazarre is this? Sign into MySpace using your your Facebook or Twitter account? They say it's not even Twitter anymore. I want my original MySpace. I don't want this this newfangled MySpace. Here, music videos, people all right, date network and connect with people. Oh, it still allows It allows you to like search for whatever city you're in, and then you can search for your city and stay and then I want to search for Okay, Yeah, you can bring up profiles. I see you folks here, Skyler Fennebach, Kim Agnosto. Yeah, you can see all these people's profiles. Maybe they're bringing it back, date network and connect with people. They're really leaning into the fact that we're all going to be dating each other on MySpace again. I don't know if that's gonna happen, but we'll see how it all goes. Here's the story very quickly that I was talking about. Universal Pictures before we start working in your feedback is currently on the hunt to find the person who leaked The Odyssey online. They leaked what they called it a quality version of the number one movie in the country, in the world, The Odyssey. I'm kind of.
Speaker 5: Curious why this one is catching such headlines. When movies get leaked all the time. I know that it does stand out that it is a quality version because usually right now, any copy of the Odyssey that you would download would be CAM quality or something that's like cam quality. But oh, they tapped into.
Speaker 1: The movie theater's assisted listening system tell usen yeah, to get a good copy of the audio, but the video is still kind of meh. All right, let's just bring people into the world of piracy here a little bit. When you are going to get a bootleg version of a movie, there are three basic types. There is the type where somebody actually sits there with a camera in the theater and it's called a cam, and they record the movie on their camera. If you're lucky, the camera stays still, but you still see people walking by and getting popcorn and standing up and go to the bathroom and in the audio is usually recorded from the microphone on the phone or camera, so it's usually very very bad. Sea Lane is talking about what a lot of the pirated people do. The pirates do, which is they'll go in they'll say that they are hard of hearing, and you get a connection that can plug in to the audio. You plug that audio into your camera where you're recording the movie, and you get good quality audio to go with your bad quality video. Correct. So that's a cam with what they called telesync. Right, those are the two like bad times. And then there's the kind where somebody actually has a copy of this that they sent around for reviewers or whatever, a real copy of the movie, a digital version, and then they leak that this says the studio is tracking digital watermarks to see if the source was an internal breach. Investigators are also looking into theater employees because a rogue projectionist or theater staff member could have used specialized hardware to rip the movie directly from a digital cinema package. So I don't even know if they know what kind of pirated version of the Odyssey it actually is at this point, Right, I've.
Speaker 5: Heard that the digital cinema package is very hard to just rip. I don't know that there are a lot of digital cinema packages out there. I've seen movies labeled as digital cinema packages that are one not the case. But like every time I've seen somebody claim, they're like, oh, this is this is the big stuff, the big time, this is a DCP rip. There will be people in the comments that are like, listen, I work for a company that produces these I or I work for a a movie theater, or I work in projection and I deal with these on a regular basis, and I know that it's not just some easy like like plugging in a website to download somebody's Instagram video, or.
Speaker 1: It is meant to block that. Yes, it's literally the intent of all is.
Speaker 5: Having the movie theaters receive movies like this in a digital format is very, very, very risky for studios because it's it's that much closer to just being able to copy and paste it to a drive of their own and then let everybody see it who hasn't paid for it. So they take extreme measures to make sure that that's a very difficult process. Pirates, tell us, if you've watched this, give us a little confession. If you've watched this in what kind of quality it is. Here's an idea for you, and let us know if you would spend your money on this. Texas A and M is in the news today. They've just unveiled their brand new Game Day suites. This person says it's one of the best ideas they've ever seen. This is the visual of this.
Speaker 1: It's supposed to be like these suites that are like a walking distance from the stadium. They're like they're packaged with the stadium.
Speaker 4: Relationships are built through shared experiences, a conversation before kickoff, a weekend with clients, time spent together.
Speaker 1: That's the idea behind game.
Speaker 4: Day suites, aguland private, individually owned spaces designed for hosts.
Speaker 1: Oh, these suites are nice. Just for the record, So the suite want to go to the game? Yeah, why would I want to go to the stadium. We're not gonna be this way. The suites are like these big ritzy hotel room suites. They're right next to the stadium. There's a communal area where there's like a fake football field and everybody can hang out and barbecue and grill and stuff. And these mega fans can be right there and then right next to the stadium.
Speaker 4: Gathering and doing business in the heart vacuum, just minutes from Kyle Field.
Speaker 1: Purpose built for connection. It's a nice place for agush. So they shuttle them over. Yeah, they have a little shuttle that goes over to the stadium. Game day suites a place to gather. Fake Those fireworks are what you're talking about. That's not AI, that's real, that's real football fans. Would you do this. I'm going to tell you ahead of time. They are going to take all of your money. Oh yeah, they are going to charge you an insane amount of money for this, for you and your megafan friends. What the money is? Oh do you know what the price would be? Yes? Game day.
Speaker 5: Sweet's Aggie Lamb, the new luxury, non residential hospitality development near kyle Field, offering private suite ownership, so you own it.
Speaker 1: It's weird that it's non residential. It's like, you own this, but don't sleep here. Don't even think about it. White Glove concierge services, customizable entertainment spaces. Phase one reservations are open via a realty group, with individual units priced at five hundred and sixty two five dollars. So it's a house, but you cannot stay here when there's not a game going on.
Speaker 5: I mean, I would assume that they have rules against that because it says they are non residential. The Sweet price is a little over half a million dollars per unit for a customizable roughly two thousand square foot shell. The reservation deposit is fully refundable one percent deposit, so that's still fifty six hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: I can't do this, I can. We have a housing crisis in the United States of America. We have too many cities that will not open up housing so that people can build, and people can build more homes that people can then purchase on the market. The more homes that are on the market, the lower the price goes, so people can get into some of the other units that are actively out there being sold. You know, this is some of It's actually kind of genius though, like, but now we have now we've taken up room for this bason and you can't even live there.
Speaker 5: You know what they're building though, Like you know what this sounds like it could be that you know, how as a as a corporation, and you know, some corporations will will rent out or just buy out for the season a box at the stadium or a box at the arena, and it will be the you know, the T Mobile box or something, or iHeart has one in Tampa. I've sat for a Lightning game in the iHeart this iHeart suite there and this is this sounds like they're offering a similar situation, but it's just not on property. It's close enough to property that they'll shuttle you over. But what they want you to do is build out. You receive this clean shell is what they're calling it, to build out personal sports bars, corporate hosting spaces or lounges.
Speaker 1: So I pay half a million dollars and it's not even furnished. No, Oh my god, this is the problem. Oh my god, this is the problem that we're facing. We need to open up all the regulations in our country so that people can build more homes, so that people can buy those homes, and so that new homeowners will be able to get easy decided they have enough homes. We don't need this. But this is These are fake homes that are built for corporations who probably won't even use them. I cannot stand this stuff. We have this very much in our home market. Orlando is where we're based out of. If you're new to the show, no matter where you're listening in New York, in Louisiana and Florida, no matter where you're listening today, we're based out of Orlando, and we have entire neighborhoods in our city that are like ghost neighborhoods because the whole thing is set up with Airbnbs and like vacation houses, the whole neighborhood, streets, roads, all that nobody actually lives there. They're all zombie houses. This is the opposite of what we need to be doing. But I think people will probably buy this because this sports thing makes people's brains spin around or something.
Speaker 5: I would also be curious because this is a Texas A and M thing, which is collegiate. Do they serve alcohol at the games at Texas A and M oh I don't know, so, like if you got a corporate suite, would you be paying all that money and you could not entertain your guests with the alcoholic beverages Because it seems like, hey, this is another reason why you should have your off site suite. Yeah, entertain your guests pregame in your game day suites, corporate suite here that you've built out with your own sports bar, with your own amenities and stuff, and then they can just hop on the shuttle and check out the game.
Speaker 1: Maybe Wow, All right, well we've got that. Let us know if you're interested or not when we come back. Jury Dude, Sea Land's got that Nolan wells ce toe call the audio that the emailer was talking about. We have it at censored. We'll examine it and see if it changes any minds on anything. We'll get to a teacher that was arrested for clapping at a data center hearing gone wrong and Seattle. The mayor there can't say the word gangs. She refuses to say the word gangs. The police chief refuses to say the word gangs. It's an absolutely ridiculous clip that I have for you, but it's coming up next on the news Junkie. Welcome in, friends, so good to have you with us. We'll get to this audio from the Nolan Wells case, see if it changes any minds. I got flocked to talk about boy oh boy sloth world, believe it or not entering into the equation. All of this means we got to get started. Let's do jury duty or it is.
Speaker 7: Now in session, and so put your phone down and pay attention before we call the bailiff over to with your ass your knowing.
Speaker 1: Jury duty with the noose Junkie. Jury duty brought to you by the one the only mode wit of the Duit law Firm. Injured on the goat just call MO eight hundred Calmo after an accident, reach out to the attorney that's going to get you on the path of that big check you deserve.
Speaker 7: I know you do.
Speaker 1: I want to see you with that big check. You've already been through the accident. Why not make something of it and protect yourself, your family, and your future. Eight hundred CALLMO or just CALLMO dot com.
Speaker 8: Here we go.
Speaker 1: Florida Wildlife officials have said investigators have found no evidence of neglect or abuse that would support criminal charges after thirty one slass died at Sloth World in Orlando. Wow, okay, well, yeah, they investigate a lot of stuff over there. They reviewed hundreds of emails exchanged in this process. They looked into everything going on and they said, whilst some things went wrong here, obviously, they said they there was nothing criminal that happened about this. They said two slaws arrived dead from disease. The remaining eight animals were already sick and later died, bringing the total number of deaths to thirty one. Uh, YadA, YadA, YadA. So yeah, they said, what happened here, none of it is enough that they can actually charge anybody with a crime in the case, at least under current laws. And that's where that case goes now or lack thereof a case, and in this situation, a lot of people raging against data centers. Data centers as people very very upset. There was somebody who was a teacher who showed up at a data center meeting and was in opposition to the data center. A one thousand acre Flint Hills digital campus. Data center. Digital campus is such a trendy thing to call something like that. The problem is data center now I don't even know what it means anymore. Well, I'm picturing open AI and XAI and these companies need a huge data center to power all of the AI programming stuff. But I think sometimes people use it for different stories. There are data centers that are just a bunch of rooms full of servers and storage that just store data like that. That's not a new thing.
Speaker 5: That part, yeah, but the stuff that they're I don't know if the ones that are drying AI technology are using any more research resources making any more noise. You know, maybe maybe they have to be cooled more because the AI needs the chips that heat up to do all the processing. But the idea of a data center, like I said, campus is campus is a trendy thing to call your workplace.
Speaker 1: Where would you rather work at? A at an office or a campus? Campus sounds more fun. Campus sounds like like you know, like Google that has like free lunch, Like, oh yeah, well I'll meet you on campus. This is Flint Hills Digital Campus data Center, and there was somebody who shut up an opposition to it, and the person who is in opposition clapped to show his support of an impassioned speech opposing a proposed gigawatt scale facility, and as a result got arrested for clapping. The video of the incident shows this person Lucks Clarage, is saying he has the right to clap, prompting the police he used to swarm him, you do havel. He then says he'll have to be dragged out, though he ends up being carried out in handcuffs after being arrested in charge. This guy who clapped in support of somebody opposing the data center at the hearing said, I'm glad to be out, but this is an inconvenience. Really, it's not deterring me from speaking out or I guess clapping. And they said they remain committed to ensuring public meetings are conducted safely in in an orderly manner. Sounds like China, Like what in the Beijing is this? If you have a hearing to support or oppose something that's going on in your neighborhood, you can't clap if you agree with somebody, Who've got to be like perfectly quiet, like hit there, sit there, and hell no. If you disagree with something going on in your neighborhood, rabble, rouse, get angry, let them know you don't want that in your neighborhood. Otherwise they're going to thrust it upon you and it's going to make your life and everybody else is worse. Say no, say hell no, say aloud. The idea that you can arrest somebody for that is kind of crazy to me, Okay.
Speaker 5: Very very anti First Amendment. I mean clapping it does is kind of the the bare minimum of.
Speaker 1: Speech. Yeah, I would think. So here's the Nolan Wells audio that we talked about earlier. Somebody said you got to hear this. This was the seatow call that went to pick up the boat and they said, it sounds like you can hear them planning the cover up of Nolan Wells's murder. Now, I don't believe there's any evidence of this, but let's listen to the audio. At least Celand centered this.
Speaker 9: But hey, we're the West tip of Born and our billage soft work, and we're going we're thinking, can you all please can we have a membership?
Speaker 7: Oh? Y?
Speaker 1: Or all right? So a lot of this is interpretation, and they think that they said Nolan or Nolan wake up.
Speaker 5: When I was just bleeping the audio, I could not, except for the obvious curse words, uh, figure out what it was that they were saying. And then then you watch it when it has what the lady thinks it is. And and she even says before she you know, tacks on the video, she goes, listen, listen to this with an open mind, and don't use my transcription as like an end all, be all.
Speaker 1: This is just what I think is being said.
Speaker 9: Yea.
Speaker 1: And then so some of the things that were in there that she thought was being said was is he dead? Is he really dead? There's she thinks somebody said, can we cover it up? Yeah, wake up? Some of those things imply that he was on the boat at the time, but it's pretty clear from the evidence that he was not on the boat. There's there's evidence that he was on the island hanging out with some of the people as late as six pm. There's evidence that I've seen the video scan of the boat. He's not on the boat, So like that that part I don't buy into. But there's the audio that they released and they were saying that these kids were covering this up. I think it's all becoming just a larger conspiracy theory with not a lot of evidence back in it up. Somebody said Jeb Bush would have hated that meeting for the data center. Oh yeah, Cloud, somebody, come on, please, somebody, anybody if you don't mind for good Cloud, good God. All right, we're back with the Power Hour. In just a moment on the show, we've got another pick aside on the way we're to talk about this NFL thing we discussed yesterday, and a whole lot more in the final hour of the show that's coming up next. On the News, Chunky, I've given Sea Lane an impossible task. There's there is a pick aside. There are more cursing than anybody's ever dreamed of.
Speaker 5: There's two different people they're cursing at each other. It's it's you know, remember we had one that was a couple of months ago where the guy just seemed to instead of breathing or instead of an ah or an um, there was a curse word.
Speaker 1: It was I think it was an S word, and it was like they call it a crutch in the radio world, like a verbal crutch, and his was just to say the word, the S word. Yes, oh it was.
Speaker 5: It was a sports interview and one of the players was being interviewed post game, and their their vernacular was very much that every you know. They didn't want any sort of empty space like that, so they would fill it with S words. That's not great for the censors or for Sea Lane in this case. But let's proceed. Let's do the Power Hour.
Speaker 1: They said it couldn't be done. Then they said, when you need help, you can't get a hold of nobody. You gotta talk to the dying computer. Time for the Power Hour on the news. Chunky, Oh nice, All right. I think we need to call up our our friend Marky about this international I don't think so. Now I'm gonna try to call him here and see see if you can shine a light on what's been happening. Automated voice messaging. We'll talk some. I told him. I was calling. I think did you tell him that the call would be coming from a toll free number? Oh shoot, let me me yeah, yeah, give him the heads up that will be from Triple aight four four three uh News. And by the way, I'll turn the lines on. I'll turn the phone lines on here into the studio for the last hour of the show. If you got anything on your mind, so Triple eight four four three six three nine seven, Triple eight four four three News. If you have any thoughts on stories we have talked about, have not talked about, or anything between. We still have a lot of ground to cover before the end of the show today, Sea Lands letting our friend know what's going on here. But here's let me recap this very quickly for for everybody. I have a theory that this could be a very different NFL season for those of you who are fans of football, and it's because the NFL is greedy as hell, and the NFL is trying to push for even more money from these bars and restaurants across the country. And when I started to hear how much the place I was at was the small, little location, and when I started to hear how much it was going to cost them to show NFL games. It rocked my world. I was like, some people might fire employees have to pay this to the NFL. Is he ready for us? Yeah? You called your number a spam ass number. Okay, it's not a spam triple a number? Is How is that spam at all? When it calls you spam?
Speaker 8: Hey? What's up?
Speaker 7: Brother?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 1: Marky?
Speaker 8: How you doing? Bud good? How are you?
Speaker 7: Sewan? Good?
Speaker 8: Good? Good?
Speaker 7: Good?
Speaker 1: Questions for you? We were talking about this NFL situation. You're a bar owner here in town, and I like, tell me if my theory, how how far off it is? I said, I think there's a potential that a lot of places that you're used to going to to watch football games, to watch NFL games during NFL season this year, won't even have them, right, I don't think they'll even have them because I don't think they can afford to do all the changes that they need to do to show these games because the NFL Sunday ticket thing has changed. Let's start off with like the very basics. Do you think people are going to see a change, like, well, some places not show the games at all?
Speaker 7: Uh? Yeah, I think for sure some places just plat up won't be able to afford it, and then the folks that do decide to jump up to change some of the smaller businesses are in potential of going out of business at the cost of it, you know.
Speaker 8: So, uh, you look at a place like.
Speaker 7: My restaurant, and I know that I don't know how much listeners know, but I know that you guys well know that we're we survive on sports, you know. So this puts us in a situation where it's like where you're trying to run a mechanic shop but you can't afford the Brench, right, And yeah, it's extremely frustrating. I actually just calculated what my total television bill will be for the year.
Speaker 8: Next year, uh huh.
Speaker 7: And that includes the fact that I have to keep direct TV for the other packages that I use, which would be the MLB, the NHL college sports packages, and Sean, I'm not lying to you, and I'm telling you this, and this is just a I mean, it's not an exact number, but I'm looking at forty.
Speaker 1: Jesus television in my bar this year, all right, So just to show the sports that everybody wants to come there for. It's now gotten up into a salary of a full time employee or something. But so the change, the change with the NFL is they want people to buy all this new hardware to watch the game a different way, right. They want you to buy this new hardware that'll allow you to watch what's it called ever pass or something.
Speaker 7: It's called ever pass correct.
Speaker 8: And yes, you'd have to buy the hardware.
Speaker 7: Equipment at the tune of three hundred dollars per box. And my restaurant specifically has twenty one boxes, and that would be at the tune of sixty three hundred just on initial equipment. And I still haven't had an answer on the packages that I have to buy to show the stuff if it's pro rated or not. So I don't know if I have to come out the twelve thousand dollars up front to just show the NFL package by itself with that equipment.
Speaker 1: So you got you got the cost. You have the cost of the hardware, which is like six thousand dollars for a cabos is your bar, and it's like how many people fit inside the bar? Like what's the docupancy?
Speaker 8: So it's funny you.
Speaker 7: Brought that up because I'm at I'm at one hundred and twenty five occupancy per city fire code, correct, Now, I think you've been to our spot. I know you know some of the listeners have as well. And you see in the size of our place. So if if you were to if we were to be in a location where we were two hundred seats or plus, tack on an extra five k. So folks like probably I don't want to speak because I don't really know what their capacity is, but I know that you guys can imagine some other larger bars that are also sports ten bars in the area, what they're going to be paying for this package, right, because who knows where it goes from there?
Speaker 1: You know, So it's another five thousand dollars. So if it's a little bit larger.
Speaker 7: If you're over to if you're if you're over one hundred and ninety nine seats, tack on five thousand the minimum. Who knows what it gets to when you get to places like a Tom's Watch Bar or one of those other really big places you.
Speaker 1: Know, right, and then you've got to get you've got to get the devices for all of the televisions. You've got to get the actual Sunday ticket costs which people don't understand. It's different for you to buy it at your house. For the bar to buy it, it costs quite a bit of money. And so the plays that I was that I was hearing them talk about this when this first came up. I was talking to Mark a little bit about this. Yesterday after the show, I heard them talking and they go, I don't know if we'll be able to show the football games this year because now the NFL is getting greedy and with this new plan that they want to force every single bar into, it was going to cost them. I think they said thirty thousand dollars, and I'm like, yeah, there are a lot of places that aren't going to be able to afford thirty thousand dollars to show the football Mark, you talked to other bar owners all the time. Have you talked to anybody.
Speaker 5: Have you talked to anybody recently about this who has been saying somebody who's place and you don't have to name names, somebody who's plays would normally show at least some NFL games, And has anybody said to you like, I don't know if we're gonna be able to swing it? This year, we might just you know, have to kind of get whoever doesn't want to watch football on Sundays.
Speaker 7: My colleagues that I talk to on a regular basis really don't have a choice. They have to get it. So I haven't really heard anyone saying, hey, we're not gonna do it yet, but I mean put it in this perspective. You guys were a big part of us being friends. And I'm not just talking about the show but in general us like just surviving COVID. Right, So, think about one of these startups that are coming in and they're trying to get their feet under their ground, and you know, their whole idea is like, man, we're gonna open a cool sports bar in whatever neighborhood, and you know, maybe it's only like a seventy seat place. That could put them out of business right off the r right, or they're gonna have to completely change their entire approach.
Speaker 8: To what their business is gonna be.
Speaker 1: Or or fire employee is like actual people that you have to pay money to because you want to have to free up some money to pay for the NFL games to be shown because as if the NFL isn't making enough money already right, Like no, kid, my god, It's like the whole thing is so crazy to me. And I I think that what you have to realize do the zoom out. We're talking to Markey here from Cavos, and he knows a bunch of people who are in the area around him, and then you know, sort of stretch that out to the to the city. Now, stretch that out to the county and the state and the entire United States of America. These are like the epitome of local small businesses that hire a bunch of local people and that they operate on pretty thin margins a lot of times, so to throw thin.
Speaker 7: Margins the margins, and the margins have been thinner and thinner each year with everything going up, the cost of gas, the cost of payroll, the cost of rent. I mean, you name it. You know, we've we've heard it a million different ways. So in my personal opinion, Sean and Chris, I.
Speaker 8: Really think, uh, don't be.
Speaker 7: Surprised if the fallout from this will be tremendously bad for some small businesses. It's gonna put me in a deep hole to start the year. But I'm lucky that at this point we were coming up on six seven years of ten years, and I'm able to try to figure it out.
Speaker 8: Here, I guess, well, may I even imagine.
Speaker 7: Being a first second year bar owner in a hostile environment like this industry has been in since COVID and attempting to survive this without being able to show what our customers want to watch on.
Speaker 1: Right, just for greed? And I think of myself, the reason why the NFL gets so much money for the broadcast rights is because so many people watch it. Part of that is because so many of these bars and pubs and stuff and restaurants put it on all the screens for big groups of people, and then they make all the money off those people watching the commercials and through like everything else, like they're they're monetizing the hell out of this. But it's like, nope, now we've got to put the squeeze on these places and small bars, small restaurants have to pay twenty thirty thousand dollars. What if there's a local game? Can you Is there anything that's like that doesn't cost money or is it all of them?
Speaker 7: So I read a stat earlier because obviously I've been tying in this for a minute and you know, take what you guys are the news junkies, so you guys will be able to probably back this a little bit better.
Speaker 8: But I read it. I read a stat earlier that I said one of the.
Speaker 7: One of the Congress went to the NFL about like egregious charges on this, and the NFL's claim is that eighty seven.
Speaker 8: Percent of the games were on free cable, when.
Speaker 7: It turned out after a research study showed that only thirty six percent of American homes actually got to see these television games because of however the rights were allocated, or if there was blackouts because not of enough tendance. So, you know, it's it's it's it's made its way to Congress.
Speaker 8: There hasn't been any movement on it.
Speaker 7: But it's a very heavy thing, man, And it's really a really, really really big squeeze on small business. And it's really a big squeeze on even the general consumer that's not coming out for the game if they want to buy the package, you know, on YouTube or wherever else you can get it. Uh, it's it's taken away. America's you know, ultimate, you know, past time.
Speaker 1: Everybody waits for this. It's like, thank god, this time of year is here we can watch the ESPN's dying for somebody to be on their their screens for God's sake. And then finally got out of.
Speaker 7: This and then absolutely and I've been on before with you guys too when we first opened, and I think I reiterated, I mean, this is going back five six years ago. But our bread and butter season where we make our money is NFL, so we have to do well during the winter to survive the summers, you know what I mean, Like, thank God this year we had a World Cup, which helped subsidize some of the loss that we normally would have taken over the summer that we were prepared for. But that doesn't mean anything to me now because all that extra money we made is completely out the door.
Speaker 5: Gotcha, Mars Markey, make sure you get on this then, you know, just for me to you as a as a helping hand pass has one thousand dollars off to coupon you if you have for July thirty first, you got one thousand dollars off the NFL Sunday.
Speaker 6: Take it.
Speaker 1: There you go, Thank you, Mark, I appreciate you man.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, I'll talk to you guys.
Speaker 1: Su d well, yeah, this marquee from Cavas. Sorry for the phone clicking. It's just something at a lot of these places, the places that you go to, all the bars that you go to, there's weird things with customer expectation. Everybody expects every game to be on. They expect to be able to see that the game that they want to see. They expect like the helmets on all of the screens to show you where everything is. And because that's happening, they end up in a position where everybody feels obliged to have all these NFL games on. And first it was like, well the Sunday ticket is three hundred dollars or three hundred and fifty dollars, and they're like, no businesses should pay more. And then now they want each little restaurant and bar to pay thirty forty thousand dollars to broadcast these games that are an integral part of their business. I think that is the NFL being greedy. I think that hurts our economy on local levels all across the country, and I think it's scummy. That's what I think is happening there. But let us know what you think, Senator Dispatch over at the Neewsjunkie dot com right now quick break. When we come back, will Well, we'll take your calls A one, triple eight four four three News. We'll work those in in the final hour the show, the Power Hour. We got more to get to anything that have teas and I haven't worked in. We'll do next in a bit of a grab bag segment that's coming up next in the News Junkie.
Speaker 15: Welcome in friend, good to have you on board, Thanks for being here. Let us learn more about this show or go over to the website. It's the news Chunky dot com, Thenewsjunkie dot com. And we have a lot to work in in this segment grab bag segment time, that's what I say.
Speaker 1: We'll see what you think about what we have for you. Seelan And is still working on this pick aside. I don't know any time to work it in. There's a lot of curse words in this particular segment, not this one hopefully, but in some of the other ones. I'll play this for you. In the meantime, Savannah Guthrie made a new video. I want to see what she has to say, and as far as we knew, they made a demand for ransom when they took her mother. The family did not pay the ransom demand, the mother died, the ransom person the kidnapper ended up saying like I'm sorry, and then that was the end of that. So I didn't expect much more. But now Savannah Guthrie made a new video yesterday and I haven't heard this yet.
Speaker 14: So coming on today with the very specific message. Okay, it has been months since our mom was taken from us. Our family is in agony. We are in a nightmare that will not end. Nothing about our situation has changed. We have done our part. We will never stop looking for her. We will always ache for her.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I'm thinking she doesn't believe, or maybe she thinks her mother is alive. Well, maybe Savannah Gothrie here is just saying like we will never stop looking for her. Maybe meaning they want they want her body back, they would like her amin.
Speaker 5: I think they're pretty much under the assumption that they're not getting a live body back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that could be the case.
Speaker 14: The world can be a cruel and unforgiving place, and I know that you have tried to do things the right way, So I'm asking you, begging you to do the right thing. Now, make the right choice, help us find her, tell us where to look for her. I truly believe it is never too late to do the right thing. Help us bring this situation to an end.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's what they're doing for all of us.
Speaker 14: No matter where we've been and what we've done. I believe there is always a way home.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this is possible or not, but I thought about this a little bit yesterday. I was like, what if Savannah Guthrie came out and made a deal with investigators and they said, we just want our mother's body back so we can close this case and move on and put her to rest. And as a matter of fact, if you just tell us location, we won't even investigate the death to try to see if there's any pieces of information that lead.
Speaker 5: Back to the person who kidnapped and killed Nancy Guthrie. Would you believe that?
Speaker 1: I would not know. I would not, so I don't even know if it would do any good, But I was wondering if you could, if you'd be like, hey, we're we're going to tell them not to investigate, not to look into this at all, just to let it go. We just want our bodyback. I'm not sure if that's how you could work this out, but certainly that's what they're going for there. All right, let me know when you send over that that's in your Gmail?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 1: Okay? Hang on, let me bring this up because Celian's got one final pick aside for us. I'll give us some other emails in the meantime. Ashley says, Hey, sean to tips at the news Junkie dot Com. I work in education. There are a lot of kids with autism these days on different levels. All schools have an EESE department where ESE teachers will come into the classroom or pull the student out of the classroom for a short period of time. Other than that, those students are in general education for most of the school Then, there are a limited amount of schools that have units. These units are for severely handicapped children, severe autistic kids, and kids with bad behavioral problems that chronically interrupt the class. They are in a dedicated unit all day with constant supervis and are not mixed in with general education kids. Also, just a side note, these parents with kids that have autism will play that diagnosis to death for their kids' bad behavior. Some of the kids are just bad and the parenting sucks and they love to blame it on autism. Have a great day, love y'all. Thank you very much Ashley for the email. Mark says, hey, Sean and Selan, I agree that the video for the pick aside earlier appears to be missing the real reason for the tension in the neighborhood. Why else would they He be so scared that he had to ready his weapon. With that being said, I picked the side of the ass whooping he was about to receive. I mean the neighborhood. He said, Uh, somebody sends over the full clip of that, but I'm gonna have to pass on that for right now because Selan is sent over another pick aside that we have just enough time to work in. All right, so let me bring this up. This is a wild, wild video, all right. Let me pause this here and we'll get ready for this. We have just enough time, so let's do another pick a s you must pick aside. This video is crazy. This is a group of young girls that are joy riding in their parents' car and crashed into a homeowner's yard. So on one side you have the homeowners who are upset, and you have the young girls who are just kids out there joy riding. You must pick aside. Here goes nothing. Is there music behind the whole beginning of this for like the first ten seconds or so, okay, fades out. Okay, I mean, what have they even done to this car? Number one? Oh my god? The car is pointed almost straight up in the air and the wheels are just spinning. So I have no idea how they even got themselves into this circumstance.
Speaker 5: And then at the beginning of the video, it's kind of hard to hear because there's some weird music at the background, but they're trying to ask somebody, could you help us reverse this and not call the cops like they wanted to get out of this situation in a way where they don't find themselves in an illegal trouble.
Speaker 1: Oh okay. So in this pick aside, we have the young teens who are joy riding in their mom's car, and on the other side, the homeowners who refuse to help them out or cover up the crime.
Speaker 5: Basically, right, that is what I'm gathering just at the beginning here, This gentleman is very perfect. A lot of curse words.
Speaker 7: Do you know? Now? You got my mom?
Speaker 1: The wheel is just spinning right, just like there's girls running in all different directions. Here are these all the girls that were inside the car that crashed here. I have no clue. This is like pandemonium. Yeah, it's the absolute pandemonium. These young girls are running in every which direction. There's some guy who's screaming, but I can't find out who's who just yet. I want to know, like what we're looking at him. It looks like they're walking underneath the vehicle too. I don't know if they are.
Speaker 5: It's a very dumb move, especially with the with the what if the wheel which is constantly moving. I don't know who's making the wheel move, or if the car is just idly and they didn't turn it off before they got out of it. But being underneath that vehicle is an incredibly stupid move.
Speaker 1: That's about as dangerous as it gets. The vehicles caught up on the wires in the front end, his way up in the air, and they're actively walking underneath it. Oh, help us reverse it. There's no reversing this out. Hey, y'all better go, Yeah, i'd say so. Oh, she's trying to jump back in the car. She's crawling back into the car.
Speaker 5: So, if we're to gather from the context here, it's the girls that took the car on a joy ride and now and it's ended up on somebody's property, just crushing something. It's half up in the air. It's uh, it looks like I think maybe the guy who's doing the most cursing is the person who's got property damage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so for the girl to be like, I don't know, we're getting yelled at. Well, here's the thing. If you joy ride a car and you crash the car, you're gonna get in trouble. You know, Like, what world are you living in? You're like, don't tell anybody, help us back it out, help us reverse. Your car is pointing straight up in the air. What exactly do you think? What's what's gonna happen here? There's no way out of this where you don't get in trouble. That's just unbelievable that they would think that that would be a possible outcome for God's sake. I yeah, this is like, it's very difficult because I can't tell what's going on. There's too many different people moving around. But if it's down to just these girls who joy rode this car, you gotta pay the piper. Now you're in you're in trouble. You're gonna you're learning a lesson today, I would hope. So they don't want to learn any lessons though, Like give me my phone. My phone's in the car. You guys, just help us. It won't even be that big of a deal. Just give us a hand, for God's sake. That's an ugly one. For God's sake. Oh, come water to the grass where we drove over. It's cool. Yeah, No, it'll all be fine, It'll be fine, all right. What else the Brian Koberger thing, he's trying to withdraw his guilty plea. I'm hoping that the judge will turn that down. The judge asked him if he was of sound mind and everything, and if he was aware of what he was doing, and if he was h wanting to make this guilty plea to make a deal to save his life, and he said yes. And now he's trying to say he wants to withdraw his guilty plea in the University of Idaho murder's case, saying there were false promises misinformation and ineffective counsel. I hope the judge turns it down because the family already went through all of this stuff. Here is his little letter, Brian Coberger says. It is hereby declared that during an attorney client discussion, most of which included all members of Brian Coberger's immediate family, petitioner was convinced to falsely confess to capital murder and felony burglary by coercion, disinformation, false promises, and the withholding of exculpatory discovery. The following is material to the inception of the plea Council's failure to inform petitioner of his exculpatory discovery received during plea discussions, namely clumps of unknown hair found in one of the victim's hands, as well as a failure of further inquiry. So he's like handwriting his affidavit here to take away his plea. And he says it's because there was some game changing evidence that would have changed everything. And he says he wants to take away the plea deal that he made. We don't know what the judge is going to say. We'll keep an eye on that for sure, and let you know what happens as the case proceeds. But I hope the judge says no, all right, quick break. When we come back, we'll do the final dispatches, stories that didn't make the cut, and today learn to wrap everything up for eight Tuesday. That's coming up next in the News Junkie. Not a lot of time on the way out, but let's see how much we can make happen in that short amount of time. Let's see some rate my blanks. Because so many people did send those in today, I want to work in at least a couple of them. This is Matt from PSL. He says, this is my workspace. It's rate my mess this week is our rate my blank. That means if you have anything, you have a filthy house, if you have a dirty car, you've got to workspace. That's an absolute mess. We want to see it, and the best photo we see from that send as a photo dispatch on the News junkie dot com or in the app. I'll say this about Matt's quote unquote mess. This looks like organized chaos.
Speaker 5: This is orderly, good stuffs everywhere, but it's all facing the same direction. It seems a little less of a mess, but still a lot to deal with.
Speaker 2: I get.
Speaker 1: What I'm learning is that there's too many of you that are just very very orderly people. Uh, this is rate my mess.
Speaker 14: Mess.
Speaker 1: I'm into three D printing. I just got into it, and as you can see, oh yeah, it is taking over my Yeah. So he's three D printing and he's got three D print boxes and spools and and everything all over the place.
Speaker 5: I've said before, there's so much about three D printing that fascinates me that I want to get into. But I'm I'm very, very steadfast holding off on trying to dive into that obsession because then I would have a room that just I already have a room that looks like mad Kings, but with other stuff, not three D printing related stuff.
Speaker 1: So I would just be that much worse for the wear. Here's another one. Not my office, it says, but this is an absolute mess. This is somebody else's office at their work. I guess that is a mess. Indeed, lets se if I can work in one more rate my mess, says Beha. I've been one hundred percent solo parenting since the first part of June with my kids twenty four to seven. So far, we've had two er trips and a handful of candy dinners. They decided to start sharing a room. Last night, I cut my foot stepping on a seashell Send help. Oh god, you know what, considering your circumstance, I thought it might be worse. Yeah I did. Yeah, this just shows your kids are, like, you know, they're having some fun with each other. They're like doing like a sleepover type thing. I had a very fun kids room, So I thought this was going to be worse. Biha, not not as bad as I anticipated. Rate my mess when I worked for PEPSI, oh that's not good. That just this is just things falling apart in your office. And then finally, this is my workshop when I'm between jobs, says Kat. All right, thank you, we appreciate those. We'll put them all into the mix. Somebody's going to win for the week. But brighter. Yeah, I mean, none of these have been shockingly bad just yet. I think they could be worse. But that's what we got for now. Okay. The mayor of Seattle and the police chief refused to say gangs, even though it was a mass shooting done in Seattle at that food festival that they believe was gang related, including a fifteen year old suspect that's in custody. They kept saying group related, that they wouldn't say the word gang.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it reminds me of After Pulse, when the governor wouldn't say gay.
Speaker 1: Gay club. They said, we have small all groups that appear to be at odds with each other. What do you think a gang is? We have these small groups and the pair of band odds with each other, but they're like, buddy, just say gang. Okay, let's get out of here. Let's do today an The.
Speaker 7: Following information may make you feel smarter, but will not actually increase your IQ.
Speaker 1: Dumb, so don't get cocky.
Speaker 7: It's dumb.
Speaker 1: What we call today. It is today and for Tuesday, July twenty eighth. Today len this guy, Hello cool Jay. That's right, indeed, LL cool Jay James Todd Smith. Ladies love Cool James. He broke the nosejaw, and ribs of a man who broke into his home. His family was sleeping when the alarm went off at one am. LL Cool Jay sprung into action and beat the man to within an inch of his life. They say he did knock him out. Thank you so much for hanging out with us. We do appreciate it. We're back tomorrow, same time, same place. Missiting to the show. Get the podcast at thedews Jukie dot com. We'll see you next time. Everybody else, Oh, stay.
Speaker 3: Shut a punson.
Speaker 1: What I was doing the Rake thing? Oh, I just don't know what Nates fuck it I was for. But now I got a new talk. I'm going insane.