Speaker 1: The quest for the three-peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth. This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again.
Speaker 4: We're getting ready to run it back.
Speaker 1: To get in on the show, call 866-987-2570. And be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. And now your host... Here's Tim Cates.
Speaker 5: Oh, rain, rain, go away.
Speaker 2: Come back another day as the Dodgers and Tigers. are in a rain delay at Comerica Park in Detroit. Welcome to Rain Delay Dodger Talk here on AM570 LA Sports. Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app as the Dodgers trying to get out of the Motor City and get back home to reset and start a nine game homestand on Tuesday when they welcome the St.
Speaker 5: Louis Cardinals to town.
Speaker 2: But before that, they got to finish off this road trip in Man, what a disastrous road trip it has been for this Dodgers team. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it. This Dodgers team is struggling offensively, getting swept in Atlanta. Certainly when you run into a buzzsaw like Chris Sale on Thursday, nobody's going to have good offensive nights. And collectively, the Dodgers didn't, even though they had opportunities. against Chris Sale in that complete game shutout. But the Dodgers in the first two games of this series in Detroit have struggled still offensively. Yesterday, more opportunities left out on the base pass. Friday night, more opportunities left out there with runners in scoring position. The Dodgers that we know and love the last couple of years have been built on slug, good defense, and good pitching. And in that slug, that means they're hitting the ball in the gaps, they're producing runs with runners in scoring position, and they're hitting home runs.
Speaker 5: And Steven Nelson brought up a great step.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers, one home run in their last 229 at-bats. I didn't realize the drought that this Dodgers offense had with the long ball recently. One home run in the last 229 at-bats, and it's come from Tommy Edmond? I mean, Freddie Freeman hasn't hit a home run since they were popping off fireworks on the 4th of July at Dodger Stadium. Max Muncy has not had a home run in a while. This Dodgers team has not seen much offensive production from Teoscar Hernandez. Certainly, the struggles of Kyle Tucker are real. But this is a team built on slug. David Vasse and I mentioned it and talked about it in the pregame show just a little while ago. This isn't a team that's all of a sudden going to change their identity, who they are. I mean, I've gotten so many tweets. Everywhere I went yesterday, I had people ask me, well, why don't this team play more small ball? Why can't this team bunt him? Why don't this team put the runners in motion more? Well, you are what you are over the course of a season. And the last few off seasons, that's all the conversation has been, especially in September when the teams have struggled like the Dodgers have. And certainly they've struggled now the second half of the season here at 26.
Speaker 5: But why don't the Dodgers change who they are? Why don't they change their identity?
Speaker 2: Why don't they start buttoning? Well, you're going to ask Kyle Tucker to start button. You're going to ask to Oscar Hernandez to start button. When you get to October, you're not asking these guys to bump because they're a team built on slug to Oscar Hernandez is three run home run against the Phillies last year in the post season. Not because he bunny and the guy over and he's, you know, a hit and run or run a hit.
Speaker 5: Bless you.
Speaker 2: This is not what this team bless you. Colin, he sneezing in our studio here. Now we're all going to get sick. I hope not. Um, This is a team built on home run. This is a team built on slug. And the Dodgers need to get back to it. And when you run into good pitching, like Chris Sale the other day, it's going to happen. You're going to have a low-scoring game. When you get to October, certainly runs are at a premium. But you've got to drive in runs when they're sitting there on base. When you've got in Atlanta the other day, and this is a prime example against the Braves, when Shohei Otani in the ninth inning has a leadoff triple, And you cannot bring him in. You've got the greatest player on earth, the unicorn, right in front of you standing on third base, and the Dodgers could not drive him in in the ninth inning the other day in Atlanta. That right there is the prime example of what is wrong with this offense right now.
Speaker 5: And how did they get out of it?
Speaker 6: 866-987-2570.
Speaker 2: How does a Dodgers team that is built on slug, that is built on driving the ball into the gap zone, How do they get out of this offensive slump that they're in?
Speaker 5: How do they just flip the switch, so to speak, in September? 866-987-2570.
Speaker 2: It's Rain Delay Dodger Talk here on AM570 LA Sports. Dave Roberts talked about it. We'll get to that in a second. He's trying to figure it out. There's only so much you can do to manipulate the lineup. on a daily basis to try to jumpstart an offense. There's so many different ways you can move guys around in the lineup to try to figure out the right combination. And Dave Roberts has done that. I mean, think about the different spots that Kyle Tucker has hit in this lineup. Think about the different spots that Teoscar Hernandez has hit in this lineup. Now, Tommy Edmund, I mean, you talk about the ultimate Swiss Army knife, and the Dodgers have had a lot of good ones, including Mr. Kike Hernandez, Chris Taylor, guys that can play multiple positions, but also hit in different spots in the lineup. And in Tommy Edmund's case, I call him the super utility knife. Because he gets a switch hitter. And he can bat on both sides of the plate. But Tommy Edmund has hit in multiple spots in this lineup. Heck, Max Muncy has dipped up and down in this Dodgers lineup. So Dave Roberts has tried as best.
Speaker 5: As he can to change up the lineup.
Speaker 2: To switch the mojo around, I guess is the best way to describe it.
Speaker 5: To see if they can get a spark.
Speaker 2: From somebody, somebody's in a lineup to get this offense going. And for whatever reason, the second half of the season, the Dodgers just haven't been able to do that. The Dodgers against teams over 500. This is a number that just constantly gets talked about. The Dodgers record against teams over 500 is now at 33 and 36.
Speaker 6: Not good.
Speaker 2: The Braves and the Brewers, Both teams well over 500 against teams that are 500 on their schedule. The Dodgers are three games under 500.
Speaker 5: All right. So what changes now? How do you improve that number?
Speaker 2: Well, the Dodgers don't have a lot of opportunities to improve that. And I think that's the one thing I look at is how do you get out of this offensive slump? I think September is the right month for the Dodgers to get out of this. And I say this for this reason, the schedule. The schedule lines up really nice for this Dodgers team. If they're struggling against teams over 500, if they're struggling against good pitching, and they're going to see it in October, I get that. But in order for this Dodgers team to get right before October, I think the schedule lines up perfectly for them to get right. with only one series in the entire month of September, three games set against the San Diego Padres, the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th, against a team right now that's over 500.
Speaker 5: The Miami Marlins.
Speaker 2: Are flirting right around 500. As we speak today, they're a 500 team, but they're floating right around 500 on whatever day it happens to be. But the Dodgers get the Cardinals, the Nationals, the Reds, the Marlins, the Reds again, San Francisco, San Diego, San Francisco. Only the Padres in that three-game series is a team that is over 500. That is a perfect setup for this Dodgers team collectively and individually for players like Teoscar Hernandez, Kyle Tucker, and this Dodgers offense to get right. We've got Get Right series that we talked about a couple weeks ago. Dodgers facing the Rockies after losing three or four to the Brewers. Dodgers, what do they do? They get right, sweeping the Colorado Rockies in Denver. Then they continue to get right against a Pittsburgh Pirates team winning all three games at the Ravine. This is going to be a get right month, I think, for the Dodgers. And in stacking up wins.
Speaker 5: I think we're going to see this offense turn around. That's my hope.
Speaker 2: And then going into October, whether it's the wildcard round or the DS, this Dodgers team should be clicking. 866-987-2570 is the number. 866-987-2570 on this rain-delayed Dodger talk. Tim Cates with you as we now have official start time.
Speaker 5: For the Dodgers and Tigers.
Speaker 2: If you're expecting to hear first pitch, hear Rick Monday and Steven Nelson talking about this Dodger game. Final game of this series in Detroit. Well, we're in a rain delay. And as I speak, the tarp has been taken off the field. I see blue skies thanks to Sportsnet LA. And we will have a first pitch of 1135 a.m. Pacific 135 Eastern in Detroit. Is that right? No, 2.35 Eastern. Let's do the math a little bit better than that, Tim.
Speaker 5: 11.35 a.m.
Speaker 2: Pacific, first pitch, Dodgers and the Tigers. So it'll be just under a one-hour rain delay when it's all said and done.
Speaker 5: But you know what that means?
Speaker 2: We got time to take your phone calls right here on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: 866-987-2570.
Speaker 2: And before we do, let's hear from the manager, Dave Roberts. This is the skipper yesterday after the Dodgers 2-1 loss to the Tigers. They get walked off in the ninth inning. Kenley Jansen picks up the win against his former team. Blake Snell pitched really well for... five plus innings yesterday and did not get the decision, but let's hear from the manager, Dave Roberts, as we alluded to, he's tried a lot of things to shake up this roster and this lineup on a daily basis. Let's hear from a very, very confused manager, Dave Roberts on what to do.
Speaker 3: I don't know what's missing. Um, yeah, you know, we're, we're today. We had, you know, one opportunity, one real opportunity. Um, obviously get the big hit from freddie uh to tie the game and then uh you know he had a basis loaded situation and then uh you know pitcher induced a double play ball gets out of that um you know outside of that we really didn't threaten so uh you know right now it's been going on for quite some time obviously and so uh you know just being able to you know, put crooked numbers up and, you know, not play these one run games where, you know, every margin is so fine. Um, yeah, I mean, I know the work is there. I know the will's there. Um, I know the talent's there, but it's just, yeah, we just haven't, you know, put it together in quite some time consistently. I think that for me, I'm just, you know, right now, you know, personally speaking, I'm just trying to figure out solutions. Um, Just trying to figure out, we're all frustrated. We know we should be better. But again, now it's more of like, what are we going to do about it? And so that's kind of where my head is at. And I do know coming down on guys when I know guys are putting in the effort isn't the answer. And then you got to figure out, you know, is it a process thing? Is it an approach thing? Is it a focus thing? Those are things that I'm trying to figure out collectively, individually. Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking.
Speaker 2: All right, there's the manager, Dave Roberts, and I feel him. He is searching right now. He is looking for answers. And I love his comment there about, I can't come down on these guys, meaning yell, you know, pull a Tommy Lasorda, pull an old school manager move where you really lay into your.
Speaker 5: Guys because maybe the effort's not there.
Speaker 1: That's not the case.
Speaker 2: And how do you, as you said, come down on an individual or a team that That is grinding. That is trying to figure it out. That's putting in the work on a daily basis, but just not seeing the results. So he's scratching his head just like Dodger fans are scratching their head. What is the solution? I think the biggest solution is the schedule. And they're able to get right in the month of September. And I mentioned picking up wins. but also individually getting right, and maybe the numbers start to creep up, the approach is better, the results are better, and you feel better going into October as a hitter or as a pitcher or as a reliever, whatever your job is as a Dodger player. That's the hope at this point, the final month of the season, but also by stacking wins against teams that aren't even over 500 in which you've really dominated those teams. You also maybe get back in this race here and can get some separation or maybe leapfrog the Milwaukee Brewers, who've got a tough September schedule coming up. Because right now, as we speak, again, the Brewers are the best team in baseball. Milwaukee is the number one seed in the National League. And the top two seeds get a bye and not have to play in the wildcard round. Well, right now, the Dodgers and Braves have an identical record. And if the season were to end today, the Braves would be the number two seed because they own these season series. So the Dodgers have to make sure they're ahead of Atlanta and they can certainly catch the Braves.
Speaker 5: They're only four games.
Speaker 2: The Milwaukee Brewers who are four games back for the number one spot a month to do it. It could happen. But I think most importantly, this Dodgers team needs to get right. individually and collectively.
Speaker 5: All right. Terry in Ventura. Welcome to rain delay.
Speaker 2: Dodger talk as we now are about 34 minutes away from first pitch. They will start at 1135 from Comerica park with Tyler glass.
Speaker 5: Now in front of her of all days on the mound. How are you doing, Terry?
Speaker 7: Welcome.
Speaker 6: Thank you for taking my call. First of all, I'm a long time Dodger fan. Second of all, Dave Roberts is a great manager, but of all people, I mean, small balls answer when they had Otani on third with no outs.
Speaker 8: Hello.
Speaker 6: It doesn't mean Freddie Freeman has to bunt, but Beth could have bunted. Anybody could have bunted him in and get, get the run. That's number one. Number two, we got to play hit and run. We got, we all, all our guys do is hit singles other than Muncie. Teoscar Hernandez swings at pitches at his eye level. He stopped hitting. We don't hit home runs anymore because Paz is out, blah, blah, blah. So we got to play small ball, hit and run, steal bases, and bunt when a guy's on third.
Speaker 8: That's the answer.
Speaker 6: And Dave Roberts, as great a manager as he is, that was the way he was as a player. So I'm kind of surprised that he's not doing that. I know it's impossible to criticize Dave Roberts because he's a great guy and a great manager. What's your take on my thoughts?
Speaker 5: I appreciate the phone call, Terry.
Speaker 2: Just because Dave Roberts was one style player doesn't mean that's the style of team he's going to manage. We manage in a different era of baseball now. Dave Roberts certainly has a team that's built differently. So I don't put this on Dave Roberts at all. He does not build the team. The front office builds the team. He manages the team. And at the major league level, Dave Roberts has done nothing. arguably the best job the last decade plus and managing on and off the field and I say that because managing is more than just putting up a lineup card and having a feel for the game over nine innings managing a team is managing egos managing personalities manage a clubhouse and Dave Roberts to a man all you hear is how great of a job he does former players current players will all tell you that 8, 6, 6, 9, 8, 7, 2, 5, 70 Allen in silver Lake. Welcome to rain delayed Dodger talk is this game will get underway in about 30 minutes from Detroit.
Speaker 5: How you doing there, Alan?
Speaker 4: I'm good, but I'm annoyed at you. You know, you've got your priorities mixed up. The only thing you said that is true is that it's good that they can probably avoid a first round by because they have this cakewalk schedule. But as far as getting right, these are major league players. You're telling me that facing crappy pitching and batting practice level garbage is going to actually prep these guys? What happens if they win all these series but they lose to San Diego and we see the truth? I'd much rather they face nothing but hard stuff and figure out how to win because they're not going to see reality.
Speaker 8: In this month.
Speaker 1: They're not.
Speaker 4: And, you know, the reality is they have to take a risk. They're taking a risk now. Gambling with these older players are going to come around. We all know the real risk they.
Speaker 8: Need to take.
Speaker 4: The real gamble is getting young now. early in the month, not later. This team does not.
Speaker 2: What's your solution then, Al? What's your solution? How do you get young when you can only add two guys to this roster? And you can't add 40 guys like you used to in the day and just let all the young dudes come up and play. Josue, DePaula, Tibbs, all these guys sitting in AA and AAA that are highly tied up prospects aren't coming up and playing in September. So what is your answer then? You have this lineup. You have an older lineup. You've got an expensive lineup. These are the guys that you're going to go with.
Speaker 4: Forget, no, forget about expensive.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 4: You have two spots.
Speaker 8: Use the two spots. Two will make a big difference. Teoscar is not going to start hitting fastballs.
Speaker 1: He's not, it's just not going to happen.
Speaker 6: So admit it.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 5: Now I appreciate the phone call.
Speaker 2: I think the answer, we got to take a break and we'll come back and get more into this again. First pitch is coming up in 30 minutes from Detroit at Comerica park.
Speaker 5: The tarp is off the field. We're in rain delay.
Speaker 2: Dodger talk right now on AM five 70 LA sports live everywhere.
Speaker 5: Of course, on the I heart radio app.
Speaker 2: Um, I am with you on bringing up one young player, and that is James Tibbs III. And we'll get into that when we come back after this because we've got to take a quick timeout. I'm with you on that. But outside of Tibbs, they're adding another arm, and it's going to be Sheehan. It's going to be Robleski. It's going to be somebody like that that's going to come up and add depth to the pitching staff of this Dodgers team. They're not bringing up multiple position players. There's also a roster move that's got to be made with Will Smith coming back. So more on that. We'll take your phone calls when we come back.
Speaker 5: 866-987-2570.
Speaker 2: It's Rain Delay Dodger Talk with Tim Cates here on this Sunday as the Dodgers and Tigers wait it out, and we'll have first pitch coming up at 1135. From Bervaldez and Tyler Glass now, the pitching matchup right here on AM570 LA Sports.
Speaker 6: Hey, it's Miguel Rojas.
Speaker 10: This is Dodger Talk, AM 570 LA Sports, your home of the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Rain-delayed Dodger talk continues on this Sunday. Yeah, you look up, you see some clouds in the sky here in Southern California. It's hot, still a little humid, even though it's supposed to cool off this week. But Dodgers in Detroit, where the rain has passed through. Seeing blue skies at Comerica Park in the Motor City. Tarp is off the field. Grounds crew is working on it as we speak. And we have a first pitch coming up at 1135. So we'll get it back out to Steven Nelson and Rick Monday coming up. at the bottom of the hour. But time for your phone calls at 8, 6, 6, 9, 8, 7, 2, 5, 7, real quick. Allen and Silver Lake was very passionate about the fact that bring up the young guys and let them help figure out this Dodger team in September and get through the woes. And if the, if the veteran guys like Teosca Hernandez aren't producing, then bring up somebody else. Again, you're limited in roster spots and doing that, but also keep in mind, this is a $ 400 million roster built around guys that are paid a lot of money, to produce and have produced and have won back-to-back world series championships. You're telling me the answer to your problems and the Dodgers problems is a 21 year old and a 23 year old who have never had one at bat in the major leagues. And you're going to ask them to come up in September to save the day.
Speaker 5: Not going to happen. It's just doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: You ride with the guys who have gotten you here and won back-to-back world series championships.
Speaker 5: I get it.
Speaker 2: The older they get production starts to come down.
Speaker 5: Part of it. I understand it. Teoscar Hernandez struggling.
Speaker 2: So with that being said, James Tibbs III could be the answer one time as far as one player being called up. And I say that because he's an older player.
Speaker 1: He's 23.
Speaker 2: He's a college guy. He's produced the last two years in the minor leagues. He's in AAA all this year. He's knocking on the door. It's hard to argue about what he's done at the AAA level at almost 500 at-bats. He's hit 27 home runs, almost 100 ribbies, hitting near 300 and 965 OPS. And he can play multiple positions. And I think that's important for this reason. When the rosters expand on Tuesday. The Dodgers can add two spots. It's going to be a pitcher and it can be a position player. Now, keep in mind, Will Smith is coming off the injured list. David Vassey mentioned that earlier. So the Dodgers have to make a decision on Ben Rortvedt or Hunter Ferduscia.
Speaker 5: Which one stays? Which one goes?
Speaker 2: Hunter Vodusha is probably going to stay. That means Ben Rortvat is the odd man out when Will Smith returns.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 2: Still have two catchers. You can bring up a position player. David Vasay hinted at Dalton rushing. Doesn't feel like Dalton rushing is ready right now to come back. But when Dalton rushing is good to come back and be a hitter only, because it doesn't feel like he's going to catch here.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 2: That's just the reality folks. Let's, let's, let's put all the cards on the table here. Uh, Dalton Rushing's a hitter only, a pinch hitter. He's not going to DH because you've got Shohei Otani there. So are you going to have Dalton Rushing take up a spot off the bench as one of those expanded roster spots, or do you give that expanded roster spot to another left-handed power hitter in James Tibbs III?
Speaker 5: If it's between.
Speaker 2: Dalton Rushing, the hitter only, in the month of September, or James Tibbs III. The left-handed hitter, but can play first base, can play right field, and folks, the last three days, James Tibbs III has been playing left field in AAA Oklahoma City. He's got more starts in right, DH, and first base, but he's got now double-digit starts in left field, and if you look at what he's done the last few days, he's been playing left field. Teoscar Hernandez is struggling in left field. James Tibbs III, Could be that guy. I think if you're going to make a roster expansion here on Tuesday and add a position player, Tibbs is the guy. Because to him and Dalton Rushing, Rushing can only hit. He can't catch for you. I love Dalton Rushing. I love everything about his makeup. But at this point in the season, reality is he's just a left-handed bat.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 2: Tibbs can play multiple positions for you, including left field for a certain struggling veteran left fielder by the name of Teoscar Hernandez, and he's also a left-handed bat.
Speaker 5: Certainly, he hasn't played the major league level.
Speaker 2: We don't know how he's going to do when he gets up, if he gets up, but If you're going to have to choose between adult and rushing and if it's the James Tibbs III, I just explain why I go with James Tibbs III if that's the direction they go to when you can expand the roster on Tuesday by two spots. The old days of having 30 dudes sitting in a dugout and your entire 40-man roster is up at the big leagues and you got extra lockers everywhere like spring training. It's just not the case anymore. Just not the case. All right.
Speaker 5: Jack in Austin, Texas. Thanks for being patient. Welcome to Dodger Talk. Jack, how you doing?
Speaker 11: Doing well, doing well.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I got a couple of things. One is shout out to Steven Nelson for, for trying not to jinx it today with the rain, but you know, he couldn't hold off Mo from jinxing it. So there's that. The other thing is, you know, Mookie looking good at the plate is really exciting to me.
Speaker 1: I think he's just.
Speaker 11: Looked like comfortable. He looks like he's seeing pitches and the prospect of seeing him have sort of like a, you know, being the guy in the post season is really exciting. Cause I feel like we haven't really seen that since the 2020 world series. And he's kind of just been, you know, had weird seasons the last couple of years and him looking comfortable. The idea of seeing that in the post season, especially if they went on a run is, is really cool. And then, you know, this team, I just feel like they have earned our patience, trust, respect. Like, I don't know what else they could have done in the last decade, but to earn having slumps. And maybe you have a slump in June, maybe you have a slump in September, whatever it is, but what other fan bases wouldn't give to have an eight-game lead in August, in September, and to pretty much know that you're punching your ticket to the postseason, even if you're having a slump. I just think Roberts, Friedman, the sort of leadership, the veteran guys on the team, they really earned our patience. And they might get punched out In the wild card or the division round, and that's baseball. You can't look at this slump in September and say, well, they should have done X, Y, Z. Because like you said, they're not going to replace this roster with... unproven guys and then throw them out there in October and expect it to work out.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 8: Jack.
Speaker 5: Well said my friend. Well said.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the phone call and thanks for checking in here on Dodger talk.
Speaker 5: Well said by Jack. He's absolutely right. These guys have earned it.
Speaker 2: And if they're going through a slump, you got the, the, the right for these guys to figure it out. And I think you got time to figure it out. And again, the schedule will allow them to figure it out and get right. And I know for some of you, it's hard to, you know, to fathom that, but also keep in mind, Wouldn't you rather than go through a rut here over a month or so in the summer rather than the last two weeks of September into October? I mean, it's all about hitting your stride at the right time. In horse racing, it's all about that. Imagine this is a horse race, Dodger fans. If you come out of the gate and you're in first... and you're exuding all your energy, and you're feeling good about yourself, so you get to the first turn, and you're still in the lead. You get to the second turn, and all of a sudden, you're neck and neck with a couple of other horses on the backstretch, and all of a sudden, you're still out in front, but you're losing your wind, and you go through a little bit of a rut. Then you get overtaken on the third turn, and next thing you know, you're in second or third or fourth, and you're struggling to get to the front, and down the stretch they come, and you've got no energy left, and you're not playing your best or you're riding your best at that time.
Speaker 5: If it were a horse race. That's the equivalent of this. Get it out of your system now.
Speaker 2: Get these bad at-bats out of the way and get ready for a stretch run in which you start feeling good. When I say get right month of September, folks... Getting right is feeling good at the plate. How often do you hear Freddie Freeman and Mookie Betts and these guys talk about it?
Speaker 5: Hey, they go three for four. What do you think? What changed today, Freddie? Well, not much. Still doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: You know, yesterday I was 0 for 4, three punch outs, but did the same thing at the plate today.
Speaker 5: You know, I just kind of keep trying to mimic this, I guess. It's all about repetition. It's all about getting.
Speaker 2: Into a groove at the plate and feeling good and mechanics be feeling good at the plate. And if you can get all these guys kind of doing it at the same time or a multiple guys getting right at the same time, this Dodgers team is going to win games, folks. They are, and they're going to get back on track. And the answer is not a 23 year old and a 21 year old who have never sniffed the major leagues before. to play in September to carry you into October. That's just not the right answer. If you're the Padres and you need a boost, maybe that's what you're doing. If you're another team that's out of it, that's what you're doing. Look into the future. But this team is paid too much. There's too much invested in this team. And I'm not sitting down a $ 60 million right fielder who is the highest paid player in baseball this year for a 21-year-old right fielder. just because he's a highly touted prospect.
Speaker 5: I can't do it.
Speaker 2: I cannot do it. Jeremy in Atlanta, welcome to Rain Delay Dodger Talk as we get ready for first pitch coming up in about 22 minutes.
Speaker 5: How you doing, Jeremy?
Speaker 8: Good.
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 5: I'm doing good. The rain is going away. We're going to get some baseball in here finally.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Listen, I totally agree.
Speaker 9: Young starters is not the answer.
Speaker 7: However, What I don't agree with is.
Speaker 9: Not bunching guys in when the situation calls for it or taking— or the example of the first Braves game, taking one of your most offensive-producing hitters out because it's a left-handed pitcher coming out of the bullpen.
Speaker 7: The— When Dave Roberts.
Speaker 9: Pulled for Dusha to put in, I forget who it was, game one of the Braves game.
Speaker 5: Of the Braves series.
Speaker 9: That was what shot our offense out, or shot our offense in the foot. And you can't, I get what numbers say, but when you money ball games like this, you are more than likely going to lose.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it, Jeremy. I appreciate it. Thank you for checking in. I appreciate the phone call. Small ball and the Dodgers is just something they don't do. And to wish it into existence, it's not going to happen at this point in the season. It's not going to happen the way the roster is built. Now, in a situation like the other night in Atlanta, where Freddie Freeman comes up after Shohei Otani leads off the ninth inning against Iglesias, who, by the way, is their closer in Atlanta, and Otani hits a triple off the wall and left and Freddie Freeman comes up and Freddie Freeman strikes out on a changeup.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Freddie Freeman wasn't trying to hit the ball out of the ballpark or a strikeout. I'm pretty sure he wasn't going up there thing. How many pitches can I swing at and go back to the dugout as fast as possible? He is the guy who we can rely on. I mean, the last two days he's driven and runs late for this Dodgers team. So he's got a knack for doing it. He struck out. You tip your cap to Iglesias. Mookie Betts is ground out. Again, probably not the greatest at bat in the world. Max Muncy intentionally walked. Tommy Ebbin flies out to end the game. Again, not great situational hitting.
Speaker 5: Got to be better than that.
Speaker 2: But you also have to tip your cap to the closer the Atlanta Braves in game one of that series.
Speaker 5: But you're right.
Speaker 2: Maybe in that situation, one time against the Atlanta Braves, They could change the philosophy.
Speaker 5: But to change it over the course of a.
Speaker 2: Season or a series or the rest of this season, that is just not going to happen.
Speaker 11: 866-987-2570.
Speaker 2: Dodgers baseball brought to you by Modelo. Modelo, the mark of a fighter. Again, when you get to October, situations are different. You do need to get every run you can because they're premium. But it's not like they're completely changing their game. I mean, again, I go back to the tasker three run home run in Philadelphia last year in the playoffs. Dodgers live and died on the slug.
Speaker 5: Just what it is.
Speaker 2: And they do it against bad pitching and they do it against good pitching. Theo in Chicago. I love all these calls outside of Southern California. We've been to Atlanta. We've been to Austin, Texas. Now we're in Chicago.
Speaker 5: Theo, how you doing?
Speaker 8: I'm well.
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing all right. Getting ready for first pitch, which is now about 15 minutes away in Detroit.
Speaker 7: Well, thanks for taking my call. I just wanted to point out that when I hear Dave Roberts, the clip you played about 10 or so minutes ago, I don't hear someone who thinks that things are just going to be okay. He seems frustrated. He seems a little bit befuddled. And I hear the same thing when I hear the broadcasters, whether it's Nelson, whether it's Monday. So I think fans have a right to be a little bit frustrated. And maybe small ball is not the option, is not the right approach here, given the roster. But I think maybe riding the ship a little bit with some situational hitting, with some situational baseball will help get things right. I think things will be okay eventually. It's just the funk is way too long, and it's very unusual. And I think if you have Dodger fans not calling in and being frustrated, I would be concerned that Dodger Nation is not right. And so I don't think the right approach is getting mad at callers. I think callers have a right.
Speaker 2: They're passionate.
Speaker 7: They love this team. So I think that there has to be some solution other than let's just go out there and try to hit it out of the park or do whatever. I look at Shohei. He seems completely out of sorts. I don't know what's going on with him. I see the same thing from a lot of other players that traditionally haven't been in a slump this long. So I don't know. I don't know what the solution is, but I don't think avoiding small ball or trying to do something different is wrong.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the phone call Theo, you know, in a situation like the game in the ninth inning against Atlanta, the approach does have to be different and you got to go out there and you have to figure out some way to put the ball in the outfield, drive the ball, the right side, get show. Hey, and yeah, that's situational baseball, but, but the Dodgers aren't a bunting team, so to speak. That's my point I'm bringing up. They're still going to rely on the slug, but yes, you can get into a situation and do something different. It doesn't mean you become that team, and I think that's my point I'm trying to make. Dodgers baseball brought to you by Daniels Jewelers, which presents the home run forecast. Dodger fans, for your chance to win a $ 50 Daniels Jewelers gift card, just go to AM570LASports. com with the keyword HOMERUN. Just enter your name, and you could win Daniels Jewelers' Own the Dream.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love the fact that Dodger fans are not happy. I'm not happy either. My friend group, my family group, they're all Dodger fans. Everybody's frustrated. Everybody's asking me for answers. I don't got the answers. I'm looking to Dave Roberts for answers. And that's what's interesting because Dave Roberts doesn't have the answers right now.
Speaker 5: And he's tried all these.
Speaker 2: Different things to shake things up with this Dodgers team with the roster he has and the roster that has been built to be this juggernaut that is the Los Angeles Dodgers. And a couple of callers are brought up the fact that, yeah, this is a Dodgers team that is still nine games up.
Speaker 5: In the NL West. This is still a Dodgers team.
Speaker 2: That's got, you know, top two record in baseball tied with the Atlanta Braves four games back from the Milwaukee Brewers.
Speaker 5: So it's not like a team.
Speaker 2: That's three games over 500 and in danger of not making the postseason.
Speaker 5: That's not the case at all.
Speaker 2: So I think this is a Dodgers team again coming home getting right in the month of September individually guys can get back on track. That's what you want to see is this team getting back on track collectively And again, with the roster expanding on Tuesday, it'll be interesting to see what they do with those two roster spots, a pitcher and a position player. I personally think Tibbs is the answer for that. If you're going to ask me, if you're going to make a roster move and bring back Will Smith off the injured list, that means most likely it's either Rortvat or Ferduscio is going to be the odd man out. You can still bring up another position player. Tibbs can play multiple positions. He's a left-handed bat, and maybe he's a guy you can plug in and Maybe he's a guy at the seven or eight spot in the lineup that can provide a spark. Let's go out to Dave in Toluca Lake, just around the corner here from our Burbank studios. Dave, welcome to Dodger Talk as we are about 10 minutes away from first pitch.
Speaker 8: Hey, Tim. Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic. Got a few solutions here. Okay, great. Knowing that we just can't flip a switch, right? But number one, I think a lot of people need to realize, in my opinion, and feel free to disagree with me, hitting is much easier to fix than pitching. If we look back last year, everyone was completely out of sorts because our pitching was struggling.
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 8: So what do we need to do? First of all, I think the good Dodger teams that we've seen over the years, we're always great at grinding out at best. If you recall, even these guys that were having great games against us, they'd be 70, 80 pitches into the fifth or 16th. Guys are free swinging too much. We need to take some pitches. And my suggestion would be let's put Tommy Edmonds at leadoff. Let's move Shohei back a couple spots. We need more speed, more contact hitting. If you look at the guys that have been getting punched out, it's because they've got a head in the count. They're, you know, up 2-1 or 3-1 or whatever. And then they start taking swings. We need contact ball. And I'm not saying play small ball.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: But, you know, we need to at least square up a little bit and pull it back and make these guys think maybe we need to adjust. Maybe we need to take a few steps in. Move these guys around. Don't let them get comfortable. I just feel like everybody needs just to step their game up. And contrary to what a lot of people think, you just can't send people down. You have to DFA them. You can't get these veterans that are on contracts. You can't send anybody down with the exception of young players to the minors like a lot of people think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you, Dave. I like the solutions, and I'm going to build on that. I appreciate the phone call. I think you hit something on the head there. Tommy Edmond in the leadoff spot, I love that. a guy who's going to take pitches, Otani maybe drops down into the three or four spots. Colin E was just saying off air, let him see some at-bats, maybe with runners on. If you can get Edmund or Freeman on, maybe Otani in the three or four spot, seeing traffic on the base pass, putting some pressure on the pitcher, force him to throw strikes. I mean, as a leadoff guy, Shohei Otani, we love him. But at this point right now, He is swinging a lot of first pitches of the game and not producing and not getting on. And certainly he is still the greatest player of all time. And you want to have that bat up there as many times as possible. But I think that's not a bad idea. Tommy Eminew can grind out at bats, you know, six or seven pitch at bat to start off a game. Let's see some pitches from the starting pitcher rather than just one pitch, one swing, one out.
Speaker 5: From Shohei Otani. I'm not opposed to that.
Speaker 2: Max Muncy is also a guy who takes a lot of pitches and can grind down a pitcher. You're absolutely right, Dave, and I appreciate that. This is a team that was so good, and that's part of their MO was grinding it out at starter. Let's get to that bullpen as fast as we can.
Speaker 5: How do we do it? Get that pitch count up.
Speaker 2: Let's get to 80 pitches in four-plus innings and get to the bullpen for the second half of a game. That's what they did so well, passing the baton, so to speak. You know, having quality at bats. They've gotten away from that, and that's just part of the equation that this Dodger team was so successful at doing that they've gotten away from.
Speaker 5: Izzy in Anaheim.
Speaker 1: Oh, boy, Izzy.
Speaker 5: I can't imagine you're too happy on this Sunday.
Speaker 7: Not really.
Speaker 10: I was really frustrated yesterday. You know what, guys? I learned something about this season.
Speaker 5: Okay, what'd you learn?
Speaker 10: I don't think... I think that trying to win another championship, this is going to be the third time in a row if they get it. They've been working hard the last three years. The body is just not... Don't forget that they even went to Tokyo and China. Yeah, the last three years, they had to take a toll on your body.
Speaker 5: No doubt, Izzy. No doubt. I appreciate it, Izzy.
Speaker 10: I think this is probably going to be an 87-win team. 87-win?
Speaker 5: They're at 81 right now, Izzy.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. Six more wins the rest of the season in this schedule?
Speaker 5: No way. No way.
Speaker 2: Just keep this in mind, Dodger fans. Winning three in a row is hard. Nobody said this was going to be easy. Yeah, they're running away with the division over San Diego and Arizona. Nine games up going into the final month of the season. But nobody said this was going to be easy. There's adversity, there's struggles, and they're in the midst of right now. But there's not saying that they can't turn this ship around the final month, get right, get back on track for.
Speaker 5: A third World Series championship.
Speaker 2: First pitch from Detroit is coming up next with Stephen Nelson and Rick Munday.
Speaker 5: Enjoy, everybody. It's the rubber game. Dodgers-Tigers next.