Speaker 1: This is America's Trucking Network with Kevin Gordon.
Speaker 2: Well More.
Speaker 3: Thanks for tuning in as we begin our week here on America's truck and Network, the show that is the exception to the rule that nothing good happens after midnight. Well, a little bit of an update here on Hurricane Melissa. She seems to be kicking up her heels down in the Caribbean.
Speaker 4: As we talked about last week that.
Speaker 3: It was approaching what had hit hurricane status, but it now is a category five. It is turning northward. Catastrophic and life threatening winds, flooding and storm surge expected on Jamaica early today and later on this morning. Now, the trajectory of this, it appeared originally that it was going to head north and look like it was going to head towards the southern tip of Florida, around the Florida Keys thereabouts. It looks like now that it's going to be veering off westward and only going to be hitting the I'm sorry eastward rather and hitting the east portion of Cuba. Now nobody's talking about this yet, However, you're going to be hearing it here on America's Trucking Network. That is the area down in the southern tip of the southeastern portion of Cuba is where our Guantanamo Bay facility is there, and it's the only portion of Cuba that is owned by the United States, and we've maintained that for a number of years, even you know, during the communist regime and cast throw and all that, and that's where a lot of these how should we say, illegal deportees or the more I guess more dangerous criminals are being held. So it's going to be interesting to see how that works out if this does in fact go in that direction. But right now, it looks like it's going to be hitting Jamaica. It's going to be some storm surges there. And if it goes in the trajectory that, it looks like it's going to take this eastwardly bent and maybe hit the south and the eastern tip of Cuba. So we'll keep an eye on that. Some interesting thing we got this notification. We've got not a notification, but we got a latest release of a study from American Transportation Research Institute.
Speaker 4: And some interesting things in there.
Speaker 3: It's the for the third year in a row they actually do their top industry concerns where they send out the survey, and maybe a lot of you have participated in that, but they release this just the other day. As a matter of fact, American Transportation Research Institute at RII, the Trucking Institute's not for profit research organization, released the twenty first annual Top Industry Issue Report, identifying the trucking industries leading issues. This year's list include the economy, which you know, a lot of people will ask me that aren't familiar with the trucking industry or people that listen, why do you add why do you talk about the economy so much? And i'm it's the thing that affects the truckers. It's the thing that affects you out there. If the economy is not doing well, there's not going to be those number of loads for you to be carrying. People aren't going to be buying stuff from stores, which means that the shells aren't going to have to be filled, which means they're going to be less trucks on the road filling bringing the goods to these locations. And for people that aren't aware of this, seventy two percent of everything you see on the shelves out there are brought to you by a truck. And as people pointed out to me at the Mid America Trucking Associate or Trucking Show this past March, a lot of people came up to the booth and said, hey, you know, a lot of people keep talking about that seventy two percent figure. But if you take into consideration everything and every part of the economy, everything at some point in time.
Speaker 4: Touches a truck.
Speaker 3: And the stuff that you don't see in terms of the service areas like stuff being delivered to hospital, the supplies that are delivered to hospitals, the supplies that are delivered to stores, you know, cleaning supplies, mops, buckets, that type of thing, which aren't the items that are actually on the shelves. Those are all brought to those locations by a truck at all. Also, so when you add all that into there, there is a tremendous amount and the truck well, most everybody that knows anything about anything realizes how important the trucking industry is. A lot of people learn that lesson the hard way during the pandemic, when some of the shores the shelves were empty and people were saying, well, gee, whiz, what happened and where is everything. Well, trucks didn't get here or the stuff isn't available at the facility to be transported here, and so the trucking industry delivering good during that period of time. Actually we're treated as heroes a lot of times, and as soon as the plandemic was over, it's back to the same old, same old. You know, it's just no respect for the trucking industry at all. So again people need to realize that not only the importance of the trucking industry to the stuff getting there on the shelves, but also the stuff that's getting to the individual locations for other supplies. As I mentioned hospital, the betting, the sheets, all the stuff is being cleaned and then the cleaning supplies themselves, so very important.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Top issues on the list is Economic and the Economy, lawsuit abuse reform, insurance costs and availability and truck Parking. List also debuts for the first time four new issues on that list. Two of them, as they say here in the opening paragraph English language proficiency for drivers and Artificial Intelligence and Trucking. Andy Owens, a and M Transport president, said, we're in the third year of an extended freight recession and the pain is real.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Any of you that have been involved in the trucking industry for a number of years, you realize and you know, and you've experienced the ups and downs in the trucking industry.
Speaker 4: There are certain periods of.
Speaker 3: Time where there's a certain amount of a freight recession, especially in recessionary times. However, as a result of the plandemic, we have got a unique situation in the trucking industry as far as a trucking recession, because a lot of during the pandemic, a lot of additional truckers came into the business thinking, Hey, you know, I've got a CDO license, I can buy a truck, and I can get into this business. And it seems like people are making a lot of money, so I'm going to jump on board, so to speak. And so there has been a little bit of a oversupply of trucks, oversupply of availability, and so the freight rates have come down tremendously, and of course the operating costs have gone up, as you're aware of. So there's been this squeeze as far as the trucking recession. Usually these trucking recessions last anywhere from twelve to fourteen months, maybe eighteen months on the outside. But we are now into the third year of it, it seems and every time you turn around, there seems like there's a light at the end of the tunnel, and once then eventually so it seems like that light dims and gets further away. But a lot of people are anticipating. I'm seeing more and more stories about people being encouraged of what they're seeing and what they're anticipating over the next six months to be and then going on into twenty twenty six, well the last few months of this year as I'm thinking, but also the first part of twenty twenty six, so people are very getting more optimistic about that. So looking through this, according to Andy Owen's third year of an extended freight recession, operating costs, operating costs climbed to their highest ever the same time the freight pricing has bottomed out. Atr eyesnual analysis is so critical to our industry to not only quantify the issues, but more importantly, to understand what we can collectively do as an industry to address each The economy came in at number one lawsuit abuse, reform, and insurance costs and availability each rose one spot to be number two and number three of the top concerns. Lack of available truck parking dropped two spots this year to number four, and concern over driver compensation held on to its position at number five. Driver training standard had been on the list of truck drivers concerns since twenty nineteen, but this year garnered enough votes to across all across all respondents to come in at number nine, which is now the addition to the list. So rounding out to give you an idea again the top ten. The economy came in at number one, lawsuit abuse two, insurance costs and availability three, truck parking for driver compensation five. CSA came in at number six. English language proficiency came in at number seven. Diesel emission regulations That was the other the fourth of the items that got onto the list, different from any of the prior years because there's been this discussion as far as the EPA is concerned, what they're going to be rolling back as far as emissions and then how that's going to affect the model year trucks that for twenty twenty seven and for some of the model trucks coming in in twenty twenty six, because a lot of that regulations that have been puted and placed on that are already in the works. Some of that can't be pulled back, some of it can be stalled or whatever. So it's going to be interesting to see how these truck emissions and the regulations on that turnout. Finally, driver Training Standards and artificial Intelligence and trucking came in at number ten. We'll pick this up a little bit and get into some other things. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's Trucking Network seven hundred w LW.
Speaker 2: We need.
Speaker 5: This is the briefing reward on America's truck and Network on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 6: Championship Weekend is upon us in. NASCAR will hand out twenty twenty five titles Friday, Saturday and Sunday Friday. The four drivers vying for the twenty twenty five NASCAR Crafts and Truck Series title will be Corey Heim, ty Majeski, Tyler Ankram, and also Caden Honeycut Saturday and the run for the Xfinity Series title. It's the four going for the championship include Jesse Love Carson Kwaffle, also Connor Zilich and Justin Algeyer. The Cup Series title on Sunday matches the winningest drivers of the season Denny Hamblin with six wins, Kyle Larson, Chase Briscoe and William Byron each with three on the season.
Speaker 5: We need this is the briefing reward on America's Truck and Network on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: Say Dennison, a t N no word in the English language is less convincing than probably.
Speaker 2: Are you sure we should get matching tattoos on our first date?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 5: Will probably stay together.
Speaker 1: Probably, it's been.
Speaker 2: Twenty three minutes since I ate.
Speaker 4: I can probably swim.
Speaker 7: You should wait thirty minutes.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll tell me what to do.
Speaker 2: Can it ball?
Speaker 6: Cramp?
Speaker 2: I have a cramp?
Speaker 4: I can probably hit the green from here?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 4: Can I get a Mulligan ready to go?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 4: Are you sure you're okay to drive?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sober. Yeah, I'm probably okay.
Speaker 7: Probably okay isn't okay, especially when it comes to drinking and driving. If you're drinking, call a cab, a car, or a friend. Buzz driving is drunk driving. A message brought to you by NITSA and ad Council.
Speaker 5: You're one stop for advertising called eight four to four eight four four.
Speaker 4: iHeart kids.
Speaker 8: They're just different than us. They have no inhibitions, consider silverware optional, and can find fun anywhere. And when kids get really sick, they're different than us too. Until now, children diagnosed with blood cancer have been treated like many adults. Not anymore. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society proudly introduces the Dare to Dream Project, transforming treatment and care through advocacy, education, and the largest global clinical trial for kids with blood cancer. For the first time, a specific treatment can be matched to a specific type of cancer and a specific child. It'll be the biggest medical advancement for little patients in history. Dare to Dream with us support the Dare to Dream Project and all the work that the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society does at LLS dot org.
Speaker 4: This is the sound of E. Coli splashing around in raw Hamburger juice on your cutting.
Speaker 9: Board and it looks like Mom, just put the tomatoes and onions on there too.
Speaker 2: Don't let ecoli mash with your food.
Speaker 9: An estimated three thousand Americans die from a food borne illness each year, so always separate raw meat from vegetables on two cutting warrants.
Speaker 4: Keep your family safe at Food Safety dot gov. Brought to you by the USBA, HHS and thep.
Speaker 5: Councilor America's veterans are on the tour of their lives at dav OR, on a mission to help veterans of all generations get the benefits they've earned. Help us support more victories for veterans. Go to dav dot org.
Speaker 9: Colorectal cancer is now the leading cancer killer and man under fifty, and the second leading cause of cancer death for women under fifty. The American College of Radiology it takes you to get screened starting at age twenty five. Insurance companies are required to cover not only kolonoscopy, but also virtual colonoscopy and other less invasive exams. Talk to your doctor about your options. For more information on virtual colonoscopy, physic radiologyinfo dot org, slash virtual CT.
Speaker 3: I'm Kevin Gored in America's Trucking Network seven hundred WLW. Finishing of our conversation here on this American Transportation Research Institute study top ten trucking industry issues. And it's interesting because when they do the survey. This survey goes out not only the truckers, but people in the companies themselves. Over forty six percent of the survey respondse where motor carrier executives and personnel truck drivers represented thirty percent of the remaining twenty three percent made up.
Speaker 4: Of other freight stakeholders.
Speaker 3: So again, you know, kind of a hint or whatever, kind of a prompting to you that if you see when you're looking at American Transportation Research Institute publications or if you're reading certain things and you see that they're asking for respondents to check in. As a matter of fact, at the Mid America Trucking Association American Trucking Show back in March, I had Rebecca Brewster on and we talked about some of the surveys, and she mentioned at that time how it's important and in order for them to get a clear picture of what's going on in the trucking industry that people participate in terms of some of the surveys that they were putting together at the time was the cost of operations and then some other things, and especially this survey here. And so if you see those surveys, take the time and fill it out because again I understand being an independent trucker.
Speaker 4: I know talking to some.
Speaker 3: Of you, a lot of you either like or hate the American American Trucking Associations. A lot of you have good thoughts about oh Aida. Some have bad thoughts, bad experiences, or so on. Part of the thing of being an independent trucker is that you don't, as Graucho Marsch used to say, I never want to be a member of a group that would have me as a member. So as you are an independent, you like your independence, and so you don't want to be a member of a group. However, when it comes to lobbying, when it comes to getting stuff changed, when it comes to knowing that your voice is being heard out there, the concerns that you have, if you don't fill out these surveys, if you don't participate in some of this stuff, if you don't take the time to do the individual surveys, people aren't going to know what your concerns are because as you can, as you see in these surveys, when they come out, they will talk about, well, the trucking people in the trucking industry themselves, people that are the carrier executives and corporate workers. They have different concerns than you have, and so if this survey goes out and it's discussed in the media, they may pay more attention to what you know as far as Congress is concerned what these executives are talking about, as opposed to what's important to you. And of course truck parking, the economy and all those things are very important to you. So again, over forty six percent of the service the survey respondents, remoter carrier executives, only thirty percent or the drivers. And you are the backbone of this, and so you need to participate more and more in these studies so that your concerns are out there and people know what they are. I talk about some of this legislation that goes on later on in the week. I hope we can talk to get in touch with Louis Pugh from Owner Operator Independent Driver Association OWAIDA and talk about this licensing non domicile licenses that are being issued, as well as the English language proficiency and making sure that's enforced even though it's been on the books. But we saw the crash last week that we talked about. Three people died and then back in August. Again, an English language proficiency person that couldn't even pass the test, couldn't even identify any of the roads. I think he could only identify what two out of twelve had failed his driving test for the owner operator or for the CDO license either.
Speaker 4: Some reports said ten. I saw another.
Speaker 3: Report that said he had failed thirteen times but still managed to get a license within a two month period of time. So I know these kinds of things, the regulations, these things need to be enforced. And if they don't hear from you, it's your voice isn't going to be heard. So we'll be talking to Louis Pugh later on about that. But again you've got to be and when I put out the word in terms of some of these bills that are before Congress, and I'll give out the phone number of the switchboard, again, I got to emphasize that it is a very easy process. Is probably one of the best things that the government does is the legislator of the Congressional switchboard, because that handles the calls both for the House and for the Senate. All you have to do is call there. All you have to do is give your name where you're located. And even if you don't know your senator or congressman, they know they can tell you which one it is, and then you can leave your message for them. Of course, leave it courteously and that type of thing. But if they hear from you, then that will change their vote or prompt them to vote on certain issues that are important to the trucking industry. And if you don't take advantage of that, your voice isn't going to be heard again. Twenty three percent made up of other freight stakeholders. Among truck drivers respondents, driver compensation, truck parking in England language proficiency were the top three concerns. So again re emphasizing driver compensation, truck parking, and English language proficiency are your top three concerns. The top three concerns here on the overall survey were economy, lawsuit abuse, insurance costs. Truck parking came in at number four. That's number two on your list. So again, as far as a respondence concern, compensation, truck parking and English language proficiency were the top three concerns.
Speaker 4: As far as overall driver Let's.
Speaker 3: See, English language was down there around number seven, so the difference between the overall survey, and what's important to you is the key here, and so for you to participate in this and change the dynamics of this and what people are focused on, you need to participate in some of these surveys. Again, let's see get back to this the driver Company Station lawsuit. Over forty two hundred trucking industry stakeholders participated in this year's survey, a fourteen percent increase over twenty twenty four responders including motor carriers, truck drivers, industry suppliers, driver trainers, and law enforcement, among other groups. The complete results and the course, you can go to the website there and I'll put this on Facebook and then a link there to where you can download the overall survey itself.
Speaker 4: And you can read it for yourself.
Speaker 3: But these things are extremely important, and when these things come out, make sure that you fill it out because again, your concerns should be the top priority.
Speaker 4: Other you're out there, you are where the rubber meets the road. You are there on a day to day.
Speaker 3: Basis, busting your hump to get this freight from one place to another. And despite what maybe the company is interested in, or law enforcement or these other people are interested in your concerns should be top priority, and they should be focused on that because with you, this economy crumbles. So I can't emphasize that enough. Last week, again towards the end of the week, we had that story about that horrific crash that happened in California, killing three people from a person that well, first of all, he was illegal that had somehow gotten a driver's license in California and couldn't speak English, couldn't pass the English language proficiency, and was on top of it all intoxicated. They say that, you know, some of the reports said that he was on drugs, So again, being intoxicated, be under being under the influence, and driving an eighty thousand pound vehicle got you know, just horrific. And if you've seen the accident, if you've seen that dashboard camera of that, it is one of the most horrific accidents I've ever seen in my life. But again that kind of pushed some of the economic news off to the side. And of course we had we talked about that, talked about it on our friend Dan.
Speaker 4: Carroll show, who precedes this show.
Speaker 3: I was able to talk to him about that on his program, and then did our show later on in the evening. So again some of the economic news we didn't get to. We'll get to that coming up. We had Jobless Claim Weekly Jobless claims some interesting information on interest rates and existing home sales. I'm Kevin Gordon, America struck In Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: News Traffic and Weather.
Speaker 10: News Radio seven hundred w l W, Cincinnati.
Speaker 11: Could we have a deal between the US and China? One person says yes. Well, the twelve thirty reports I'm Lee Mawin breaking now that one person and President Donald Trump, who's announced framework to a deal has been agreed.
Speaker 12: Upon more than six months after he launched his trade war with China. President Trump now says a deal could be at hand.
Speaker 4: Nothing has been agreed to yet.
Speaker 2: Well you do it. We feel good, I mean, we feel good.
Speaker 12: The administration says they've reached the framework of an agreement that covers spetanyl in tariffs and includes a pledge by China to resume buying American agriculture like soybeans, and to loosen restrictions on their sale of rare earth minerals critical for making smartphones and cars.
Speaker 11: ABC News Senior Political corresponded Rachel Scott Now.
Speaker 10: The Ladies forecast from the Train Heating and Cooling Weather Center on news radio seven hundred WLW over ninety.
Speaker 1: To night and scattered rain showers the low forty seven degrees. It will be partly sunny on Tuesday with a high of sixty, but that's the last break we get. Chance of rain begins Tuesday night and then on Wednesday, we're looking at essentially a washout with a high in the low fifties. That's the forecast on news radio seven hundred WLW fifty three degrees right now.
Speaker 11: Still some light rain hovering around the Ohio River, Norfolk, Entucky, southeastern Indiana, and southwestern Ohio, mainly across Claremont and Brown Counties again fifty three. The Department of Hotland Security claims they've arrested a threat to national security and a British journalist and political commentator on Sunday.
Speaker 13: British journalist and political commentator Sammy Hamdi was detained at San Francisco International Airport. He had been speaking in Sacramento and was heading to another event in Florida. The Department of Homeland Security says he had his visa revoked because Homdi poses a threat to national security. Rashad Norsey is executive director of the Council on American Islamic Relations in Sacramento.
Speaker 10: He has been publicly speaking about the genocide and Gaza.
Speaker 13: In response to DHS saisose who support terrorism will not be allowed to work or visit the US.
Speaker 11: Alex Stone EBC News. Our next update is that one I'mley Mawen. Who's video seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: Johnny Knoxville Here.
Speaker 3: Check out crime list Bill Billy Heist my new true crime podcast.
Speaker 4: The Truth.
Speaker 14: Here's your trucking forecast for the Tri State and the rest of the country. In the Tri State of a night mostly with a slight chance of rain, the low down to forty seven, partly Sunday, Tuesday high year sixty rain Wednesday, a high fifty two. Thursday cloudy with rain likely the first half of the day. Eyes again will be in the lower fifties nationally through Tuesday on. Subtle weather and cooler temperatures will continue across the southeast and southern Appalachians, with some instances of isolated flash flooding possible. Meanwhile, a new storm system organizing across the middle and lower Mississippi Valley by midweek, with widespread showers and storms expected, the central and eastern half of the country will start to see below average temperatures on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Seven hundred WLW. I'm Kevin Gordon. This is America's Truck and Network. America's truck and Network supports the mission of Reese Across America.
Speaker 4: You can hear us every truck and Tuesday.
Speaker 3: At five am and ten am on Eastern on Reese Across America Radio. Available on the iHeartRadio app. Search the word Rease now that's wr EAHS for Reese Across America Radio. And thank you to all our truckers for supporting the mission of Reese Across America. And if you missed any of our shows last week or any portion of the show, hit up that iHeartRadio app brought to our brought to you buyer friends at Rush Truck Centers, we got weekly jobless claims increase.
Speaker 4: I love this this.
Speaker 3: I'm looking so forward to talking about this particular story only because of the way they kind of jimmy the numbers around here.
Speaker 4: I don't watch.
Speaker 3: The number of Americas filing new application for jobless benefits increased last week economists estimated on Thursday, and more people were collecting unemployment checks in early October amid easing labor market conditions. Initial claims for state unemployment benefits now, I'm going to give you the worst number first here. Okay, initial job as claims for state unemployment benefits rose to a seasonal adjusted two hundred and thirty two thousand. Now, that's up five percent from last week October the eighteenth, up from two hundred seventeen. Well, the number last week was two hundred and seventeen. Apparently that got adjusted up to two twenty, but they don't say when it was adjusted or how it was adjusted, but anyway, they're using the number of comparison of two hundred and twenty.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: It's interesting that in the prior weeks because of the government shut down, this information that is collected by the states is available and uploaded to the US the Bureau of Labor Statistics website, so people can still get on there and see that. And so we have had JP Morgan chase their people in their company as well as Goldman Sacks pulling that information down and then based on some of the states that don't report, and then they can do that there's a formula that the that the Bureau of Labor Statistics puts out and so that they can say, okay, well, based on this, we can estimate this, and we can estimate that. So it's, you know, whatever formula they use, and then they do a seasonal adjustment on those numbers as well. But Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan has been doing this the last couple of weeks. And as I've been pointing out, those numbers are available. So why are we waiting on the Bureau of Labor Statistics to do this for us? And why isn't it mandated that these states get their numbers in properly so there aren't these adjustments later on, because if they don't get their numbers in, you don't have an accurate information. And if the Federal Reserve and all these other people, as far as the stock market is concerned, as far as businesses are concerned, as far as a reading of the economy, if that, if you don't have a complete set of data, how can you make the intelligent conclusion? And so the fact that these states, you know, they take their time getting this stuff in, and as they point out here, there's a.
Speaker 4: Couple of states.
Speaker 3: We'll get to it, but my point here is is that all of a sudden, this week, after two to three weeks of it only being JP Morgan and Goldman's Sacks, all of a sudden, City Group and Nationwide jump in here. Now, Nationwide and City Group said that the unemployment rate was two hundred and thirty two thousand, which is a five percent increase. However, Goldman Sacks estimated the number at two hundred and twenty seven thousand, which is a three percent increase, and Goldman Sacks or I'm sorry, Goldman Sacks was at two hundred and twenty seven thousand, a three percent increase. JP Morgan put the number at two hundred and twenty nine a four percent. So if you're looking at unemployment rate and you see two hundred and twenty the previous week and see two twenty seven years, thinking, oh, that's still in the twenties, not too bad. But because City Group and Nationwide came up with their calculations above two hundred and thirty thousand, that is what Reuters went with weekly jobas claims increase, more people collecting unemployment checks, economists estimate, but it do'll say that those are two outliers that hadn't even been participating in this over the last couple of weeks. Now all of a sudden, they come in with a higher number. And that's the number you lead with, Not the people that you've been talking about over the last couple of weeks that have taken upon themselves to report this data. You've got to go with somebody for the first time. Unbelievable. The bias by the spoon fed regurgitators in the mainstream media is just absolutely incredible. I keep pointing it out, keep pointing out how and again this goes to my opinion that a lot of these spoon fed regurgitators in the mainstream media from day one of the Trump administration have been trying to manufacture a recession. They're trying to put the idea in people's head that things aren't going right in the economy. And day after day we talk about these things, and how we point to where the asenine predictions that they've come up with and the asenine statements that they've made are disproven based on the facts that they even present.
Speaker 4: So it's interesting, and you know, I would.
Speaker 3: Love to be on a debate stage with these people or at a conference, you know, you know, these roundtable discussions, and when they come up with this number, be able to say, well, you know, I don't agree with it because this, this and this and this, And they say, well, your numbers are wrong. I said, well, you know, go to your website, because that's where I got your information. Anyway, claims data was unavailable for Tennessee, Massachusetts, and Colorado, but economists made assumptions for the three states, similar to what the Labor Department would normally do when data is not available. And again, if this information being so important, and it seems that whenever we talk about these numbers, Massachusetts is one of the ones that are always the latest, and it seems like the North Northeast is always late as well. I don't know if you recall, but a lot of times when we talk about tonnage coming in from the individual ports, we will get the reports from you know, the East Coast will get Savannah, we'll get the Charleston area, will get the up in Virginia. But then the ports of New York and New York and Maine, those numbers always come in late. And then when we look at the West coast, those numbers always seem to come in on time. There's never anything of like, well, the Port of Long Ise or the Port of San Diego and Los Angeles, those two ports, and then you've got the ports up in Washington. Those reports never come in late. But it always seems that the Port of New York or New Jersey, those always seem to come in late. So again there must be something there in the water where the people in the Northeast are late, because again Massachusetts seems to always be late with their numbers coming in on these unemployment numbers. States continue to collect the claims figures, submitting them to the Labor Department despite the shutdown of US government and has caused economic data blackout. Economists have been have taken the unadjusted data to make estimates using seasonal adjustment factors and they go into the detail and all this the latest state level jobless according to this Orin Klatkin, he is a financial market economist at Nationwide. The latest state level jobless claims data suggests the labor market remains steady and that layoffs have remained low. Interesting, the estimated claims have stayed within their pre shutdown range, suggesting there's not been a material pick up in layoffs, but there have been a spike in applications of federal employers in recent weeks or employees rather in recent weeks, likely related to the more than one hundred and fifty thousand workers who dropped off the payrolls. However, those numbers for the federal workers are put in a different category, so it doesn't reflect this because these people haven't been laid off and they're not being called back. They're merely furloughed and when they do come back, they will be collecting back pay, so they're not part of these weekly jobless numbers, which is a very important point. Let me see, the number of people receiving unemployment benefits for initial beyond the initial week proxy for hiring has gone up a little bit, to let me see, gone up to one point nine four to two million, up from one point nine to eight million, so not a big raise there. Calculations for these so called continuing claims by Goldman, Sachs, JP, Morgan and Nationwide were within the ballpark, so those numbers are all within the ballpark. It was the initial job as claims that there was some discrepancy the elevated, continued claims readings suggests unemployed people are experiencing difficulties landing new position, jobless rate still holding at four point three percent. Gizella Young, an Economists and City Group, said these like this likely reflects the low hiring environment, as typically hiring would pick up in October for the holiday season. She throws in here, some indications suggest holiday hiring may be less than usual this year. That's the first time I've heard that number or anybody talking about that. A lot of things that I've been reading saying that we're looking for a robust holiday season. So I don't know where she's getting her data, but we'll see who's right. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's truck and Network, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 11: You know what your customers are doing right this second, the exact same thing you are listening to me, which, let's be honest, is kind of This.
Speaker 3: Is America's Trucking Network, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: I'm Kevin Gordon. I was going to talk a little bit about last week.
Speaker 3: We had the numbers coming in for refinancing the rates people. It was up eighty one percent higher than it was a year ago, and then the next day we got indications that there were lower mortgage rates and we had some existing home sales. We're not going to have a chance to get to that because also last week we got inflation data, and so anyway, we'll get to all of the tomorrow. But some very good numbers there, I might add, But I got such a kick out of seeing these reports on the inflation numbers. Okay, the consumer price indeck was scheduled to come in.
Speaker 4: Okay, it was.
Speaker 3: It was on the calendar, come in on the fifteenth, all right, Today is the twenty eighth. It is thirteen days later, maybe two, let's call it two weeks. Okay, we'll estimate up, we'll round up. Okay, a lot of the stories I kept saying, I kept seeing the much delayed consumer price indecks finally came out.
Speaker 4: We're talking thirteen days.
Speaker 3: I mean, you would think when they said the much delayed or the numbers finally coming out, you would think that you're talking about a month, month and a half, six weeks somewhere along those lines. But two weeks, I mean, for crying out loud, and remember a couple of weeks ago, we were talking about how people were whining about. And it's not the consumers, it's the economists, mind you talking about and trying to stir up a controversy if you will, saying that, well, this is the this is the number that's so important for the Social Security cola, the cost of living allowance increase. This is the period and if that number doesn't come in the delay in terms of putting that adjustment into those checks, it may not get there, to which I'm saying, Okay, we're talking about October.
Speaker 4: We're talking about October.
Speaker 3: The tenth, where it came out last year, and it was scheduled to come in on the fifteenth this year, and so they delayed it by a week, week and a half, I mean for actually today's the twenty Let me back up here a second. It isn't this is a week delay because it was supposed to come out on the fifteenth and actually came out on the twenty third, So we're only talking about eight days there. I'm forgetting that we had a weekend in between here, What's wrong with me? But anyway, so it was a week delay, and they're talking about much delayed numbers. But anyway, they were talking a couple of weeks ago about well, if this number doesn't get out, then you know they're not going to be able to adjust these Social Security checks. I'm thinking, you know, we're at the we'll be at the end of October. They got all of November, they got all of December, and the first checks don't come out until January. We're not in the process now where we're sitting there with you know, the green eye shades, the sleeves rolled up and those little armbands on there, people sitting at ledgers and writing in the numbers in the little boxes and that type of thing, and then that has to go here and go over there. They're on computers. They can be adjusted. It should just be a mere programming thing that can be done easily. But then again, we're talking about the federal government, so maybe I'm talking wrong here. But anyway, the number inflation a three percent lower than expected. Prices that people pay for a variety of goods and services rose less than expected in September, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Now, the people that were in the Bureau Labor Statistics, they had been furloughed and because this cost of living index was to be calculated they brought them back in specifically to do these numbers. No other data but the cost of the Consumer Price Index and then this cost of living adjustment for Social Security.
Speaker 4: They brought them back in to do that. So this number came out from them.
Speaker 3: Consumer Price Index showed a point three percent increase on the month, putting the annual inflation rate at three percent. CONDOMA, surveyed by dal Jones, had been looking for readings of point four or a three point one percent increase excluding food and energy. Course, EPI showed a point two percent monthly gained an annual rate at three percent. Now I saw a number the other day when this was being reported that that number for the month was two point seven. So I'm not sure where they're getting that three percent, but that's what they put in here. Now they're talking about here that some of these adjustments and what they're looking at. They break that down in terms of where the gains came from. Let me see, the annual rate was three percent compared to estimates and so on. I love this this guy. I guess this guy thinks he's some sort of a well, I don't know, a novelist or something like that. So he comes up to this phrase John Kirshner, like an oasis slaking the thirst of a weary desert traveler. Today's CPI number offered investors the first tidbit of information from the barren wasteland of government data that has existed since this shutdown October one. All right, this was written on the twenty fourth. We're talking twenty three days. And he's out in this information desert. He's out there in this wasteland. He's waiting for his thirst to be slaked, which means quenched. But you know, he has to throw this five dollars word in there and actually make this analogy as if you know you're out in the middle of the desert, you just can't get this information. But as we've pointed out, this data is available through other sources. What these people are talking about is that this data being collected by the federal government. Them doing this and then releasing it. All the levers, all the switches that they pull, and levers that the switches that they switch, and the buttons that they push and the levers that they pull, that numbers are all available to these people themselves. They can pull this number out, Like we looked at Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan. As far as the unemployment ombers, A lot of this number of this information is already available. They're just waiting on it to be spoon fed to them so that they can make their economic analysis. God forbid that they do a little bit more leg work in order to.
Speaker 4: Do their job.
Speaker 3: But let me see four percent jump in in gasoline prices, which I find kind of interesting because if you look at the triple A national average of gas prices and stuff the month basis, we are looking at numbers that are down from the previous month, about eight cents a gallon from the previous month, and where they're saying there's a four point one percent increase, I'm not.
Speaker 4: Sure that their data is all that correct.
Speaker 3: Food prices saw a point two percent, that's two tenths of one percentage point increase, commodity prices and so on. Now, what is interesting is that they put in here on these on a graph where the actual inflation is coming from, and the largest area where inflation is.
Speaker 4: Coming in at is on a year to day basis.
Speaker 3: Okay, overall food at home came in a plus point two point seven percent on an annual basis, so less than three percent for the entire year. But within those coffee is up eighteen point nine percent from last year. Now that's not tariffs. That's not something going on here. Coffee is purchased from overseas down in Brazil Columbia, those areas down there, and because of drought, because of weather, because of transportation, because of problems with their government down there, some of this stuff isn't being done, so the supply is down and therefore the prices are up.
Speaker 4: This is not a result of tariffs.
Speaker 3: This is not a slight amount of having to do with terroriffs, but not eighteen point nine percent. It is mostly based on because it's an agricultural crop and not readily available. The next one on the line fourteen point seven percent beef. We've seen that there's drought conditions that the herds of the United States as far as cattle are down to the levels they were back in nineteen fifty one. So this isn't some sort of a tariff increase that everybody's been talking about. What it is is just again conditions having to do with those particular areas where these cattles are are raised, and so when they dig into these numbers. It was interesting to see how they kind of backed off and they start talking about how tariffs really haven't shown up in the numbers, and that some of the tariffs that have been put into place. We don't have to get a little bit into that tomorrow, but where the tariff increases have been coming, they are actually these companies are actually sourcing from different countries that have lower terraffs and kept that tariff, kept that amount lower. One thing I want to do before we get out of here, as we're talking about Social Security and that what that rate was. Now, we talked about that two weeks ago and we talked about how the Social Security benefit would be somewhere. People were estimating between two point seven and two point eight percent, and so they came up so Security two point eight percent COLA for twenty twenty six benefit. And they go through how they came up with the number, and it's based on the inflation rate. What I found interesting as I was looking at this, they provided a chart that said what the adjustment for Social Security now, the cost of living adjustment for Social Security is done based on the inflationment.
Speaker 4: Rate for that particular year.
Speaker 3: In here they mentioned that over the last since twenty fifteen, I think it was. I'm seeing no over the last twenty year. Social Security COLA twenty years, mind you, has been two point six percent. So what we're seeing is that the cost of living on a normal basis is two point six percent, because that's what the cost of living index has been and the cost of living adjustment has been. So why is the Federal Reserve so fixated on a two percent inflation number? I find that interesting that they want during the Trump administration the inflation rate down almost a half a percentage point than what the average has been over the last twenty years. Isn't that Ama? But they're not political, mind you? Well, folks, that doesn't for us. Stay tuned for ATI Radio Top of the Hour. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's Trucking Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: News Traffic and Weather.
Speaker 10: News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 11: It's the twenty eighth day of the government shutdown, but the Top of the Hour reports I'mley Mawen Ranking now