Speaker 1: The quest for the three-peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again.
Speaker 2: We're getting ready to run it back.
Speaker 1: To get in on the show, call 866-987-2570. And be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. And now your host... Here's Tim Cates.
Speaker 4: All right, well, it's not panic time yet, Dodger fans, but certainly a concerning three-game series in Atlanta ends with the Dodgers getting shut out by Chris Sale in a 1-0 Braves win tonight at Truist Park. Tim Cates with you here on AM570 LA Sports, live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Thanks for being with us on this Thursday night. 866-987-2570 is our number. Jump on board. We've got a line open. If you want to talk a little Dodgers baseball tonight, and certainly I feel your frustration. I see your frustration all over social media. But you know what? Tonight is one of those nights you have to just tip your cap to Chris Sale. He out-pitched Yoshinobu Yamamoto, who pitched really well again and gets nothing for it and gets tagged with the loss. And Yamamoto, outside of the solo home run that he gave up to Drake Baldwin on the first pitch that he threw, again, a splitter. Jose Moda said it perfectly on the Clubhouse Show. If Drake Baldwin is sitting splitter for the first pitch he sees in the first pitch thrown by Yamamoto in the game and hits it out of the park 402 feet into the chop house in right field, then you got to say, attaboy, way to go, Drake Baldwin. You got a good swing on that. Because nobody else is looking for a splitter right there. But he left it over the middle of the plate. First pitch he threw. And that proved to be the biggest home run of the game. And the only home run that the Braves needed to win this game tonight. Because Chris Sale was that good. His fourth career shutout. His first since 2019. As Chris Sale, after the eighth inning, went in and told Walt Weiss, you could see him mouthing the words, I got it. I got it. As he made his way to get a towel and get ready for the top half of the ninth inning. Because the way he was pitching, he was not even close to 100 pitches. and he goes back out there in the ninth inning and shuts down the Dodgers despite a leadoff single from Freddie Freeman. Just could not get any offense going tonight. And we've seen this so many times. And when a game in which the Dodgers will get five hits, and they actually out-hit the Atlanta Braves tonight. They out-hit them 5-4. But they couldn't string together the hits tonight. And in this series, they couldn't get the big hit when they needed it. They lose by one in the series opener. They lose again last night in a one-run game to the Atlanta Braves. And they lose one to nothing tonight. And what's interesting is all three games, the Dodgers had a runner in scoring position, a chance to just manufacture, try to push across a run. In the first two games, it was to take the lead late in the ballgame. Tonight, it was the fourth inning, and you knew 1-0 game at that point. Chris Sayles on the mound. Folks, he struck out five of the first 11 Dodgers that he faced. You know what kind of night it's going to be. A leadoff double for Mookie Betts in the fourth inning, and he gets stranded. Can't even get him over to third. in that fourth inning. That has got to be a situation, and the Dodgers know it's a playoff-type atmosphere. It's a 1-0 game. Runs are at a premium. We've got to do something to get them over to third base, and we've got to try to get a sack fly something to drive in that run and tie this up at one and make it a whole new game. But they couldn't. They strand Mookie Betts at second. That's where my frustration is right now, is the Dodgers' opportunity in these three games, and they can't get the big hit. They can't deliver with Shohei Otani standing 90 feet away the other night in Atlanta with nobody out in the ninth inning. And they get zeros on the board late in the game in the series opener on Tuesday. They get zeros on the board in the ninth inning last night. And again tonight, the Dodgers just couldn't do anything offensively against Chris Sale.
Speaker 1: 866-987-2570.
Speaker 4: Dodgers baseball brought to you by Modelo. Modelo, the mark of a fighter. Now, the Dodgers at 80-54 are three games back now in Milwaukee for the number one spot in the National League. And again, we all know they need one of the top two spots in order to not play in the wild card round. Well, right now, the Dodgers have a one-game lead over the Braves.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's it.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers had a four-game lead over Atlanta for the number two spot and had a chance to build on that, and they lose all three games. So now they're only one game up on Atlanta going into the final month here of the regular season. We'll hear from the manager, Dave Roberts, coming up in just a little bit. Also, in case you missed it, Tarek Skubal joined David Vasse on Dodgers on Deck, our pregame show. It was a great conversation, very candid conversation about his workout process, how he's incorporated yoga, but also Tarek Skubal's emotions going back to Detroit where he pitched for so many years for the Tigers and gets traded at the deadline to the Dodgers. And now he's going back there and will get to start in the series opener against the Tigers tomorrow. So we'll hear from Tarek Skubal. in that conversation with David Vasse coming up in just a little bit. Let's go out to the phone, though, because I know you Dodger fans want to weigh in, and I want to hear from you.
Speaker 1: 866-987-2570.
Speaker 4: Sam in Buena Park starting us off here on Dodger Talk on this Thursday night.
Speaker 5: How are you doing, Sam?
Speaker 6: Not too well, considering we just got swept. I haven't called in a long time, but all season long, the Dodgers haven't, I don't even remember if we won a series against a winning team.
Speaker 1: It's been a while.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so, you know, it's concerning, but luckily it's just a regular season. We just need to get in and get the first two spots. So, you know, hopefully, you know, Will Smith missing is a big factor in producing runs. I think when he comes back, he's going to change the dynamic of our team. Otherwise, you know... Yeah, he's our biggest reinforcement. And, you know, hopefully Dalton Rushing can come off the bench during the playoff time. Otherwise, you know, losing 1-0, it's not too bad. You know, we pitched a good game. All three games we lost by one run. So it shows that, you know, the games are ours to take. We just got to, you know, manufacture those runs because that's what, you know, World Series championships do.
Speaker 7: No doubt.
Speaker 4: No doubt, Sam. I appreciate the phone call, Sam. I know where you're going, and I appreciate it because I understand what you're saying. You lose three one-run games. You're right there in all three of those games, but you can't get the big hit. What was the difference between these three games and, I don't know, last year's postseason and the year before against the Yankees? The Dodgers got those hits. You know, and then hopefully in October, it flipped for the Dodgers. And I think we saw it a year ago. They struggled against the Brewers in the regular season. They struggled against Philadelphia. And in those matchups in the postseason, a lot of baseball pundits kept saying, well, you know what, they can't figure it out. They're not going to be able to go up against that pitching. of Milwaukee or that big lineup of the Philadelphia Phillies. And the Dodgers got big hits. They played good defense. They got good pitching. And they got big hits when they needed them. Teoscar Hernandez, a home run against Philadelphia on the road, a three-run home run late in the game. You know, we know what happened in Game 7 of the World Series with those great home runs and then the game winner from Will Smith in extra innings. So they were able to do it in October. They just haven't been able to do it here against teams during the regular season that are the better teams in baseball. I mean, the Dodgers in six series sweeps this year. Six series sweeps, eight series against them, three Dodgers sweeps, and then they were victims of being swept by opponents three times. So you can kind of see where they're at in these tight series against better teams around baseball. They're falling short, whether it's against the Brewers losing three or four and now getting swept by the Atlanta Braves in all three games of this series. It's certainly a frustrating night all around for the Dodgers offensive. But again, Chris Sale was that good. A complete game. Five-hitter, struck out 11, didn't walk anybody. The fastball was unhittable, and the slider was just absolutely like a cartoon curveball, just unhittable. He made the hitters of the Dodgers look silly tonight. Shohei Ohtani was swinging at pitches a foot outside the strike zone and then swinging at pitches a foot above the strike zone at 99 miles an hour. It's just one of those nights for the Dodgers offense in which they just got just got dominated by an opposing pitcher. And tonight it was Chris Sale who made them look foolish at the plate tonight. But you know what? Dodgers can get right back at it against the Tigers tomorrow night, and it's going to be a tough three-game series against the Tigers at Coamerica Park.
Speaker 1: 866-987-2570.
Speaker 4: Charlie in El Sereno is next up on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: How are you doing, Charlie?
Speaker 6: I'm doing great, Tim.
Speaker 8: Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 9: You know, I just want to.
Speaker 8: Kind of reiterate, you know, we talk about how the Dodgers– play chess and everyone else playing checkers, you know, I kind of feel losing to the Braves may be an advantage in the postseason where the Braves are now five games ahead of the Phillies where Phillies have been a threat in the postseason and we're still one game ahead of the Braves.
Speaker 10: So kind of feel, you.
Speaker 8: Know, I don't think, you know, I don't think they did it, but I don't know, you know, they didn't make any productive outs where we could have gotten like some sacrifice life and bunting.
Speaker 10: You know, so I just feel like trust the process.
Speaker 8: I think the Dodgers know exactly what they're doing. And when it comes postseason time, I think we'll know. We'll be meeting up with the right team to match up.
Speaker 5: We'll find out.
Speaker 4: We'll find out, Charlie. I appreciate the phone call. Thanks for checking in.
Speaker 11: 866-987-2570.
Speaker 4: Teoscar Hernandez, another 0 for tonight at the plate. The struggle is real for Teoscar Hernandez. And the landing pad here for him to figure it out and get right is getting shorter and shorter and shorter. here with the regular season now. A month to go in the regular season. He's got to figure it out. And tonight, he looked foolish at the plate from Chris Sale. And Chris Sale did that to a lot of the Dodger hitters tonight. So it wasn't just Teoscar Hernandez. But Teoscar Hernandez's struggles at the plate, whether it's a lefty, whether it's a righty, We've seen the defense last night with the ball in left field. He's got to clean it up. He's got to play better. There's no doubt about it. And he's working. He's trying to. He's the first guy to tell you he's not happy with his season. But the Dodgers really need to find out what he can do here the final month of this season, or they're going to have to start asking some questions, some legitimate questions when it gets to October. Is Quique Hernandez a better fit in left field? Is Teoscar Hernandez, in fact, the right guy to be in left field come the postseason? Carlos and Valencia, thanks for being patient. Welcome to Dodger Talk after the Braves shut out the Dodgers tonight behind Chris Sale's five-hit complete game. How are you doing there, Carlos?
Speaker 11: Doing okay, doing okay.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, you guys are talking about they don't do great against teams that are pretty good. Actually, since the All-Star break, These guys are 6-16 against teams with a 500 or better record. And sometimes you can say they're just not playing good ball. But against teams that are below 500, they're 13-2 in that same span. So, I mean, they're really, you know, this is real. And today, obviously, Chris.
Speaker 1: Sale was dealing.
Speaker 12: And, you know, if it's a one off, you say, you know, hats off to him. But this is happening way too often against the teams that they're probably going to play in the playoffs. Now, they've built a lot of equity, obviously. I mean, you know, two championships. So but I mean, winning three is really difficult.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And this is just an example of that.
Speaker 4: No doubt, and it's a testament to how good this team is that they've gotten this far and still an 80-win season. They got a month to go, but as you mentioned, it's 6-16 against teams over 500. They're not winning those series because they're running into teams that have good pitching, and the Dodgers' offense has just not been up to par. You can win series against the Royals. You can beat the Rockies, no doubt about it. You can beat the Pirates and sweep them in three games, and I appreciate the phone call. But when it gets to these series where it's tighter, I mean, this did feel like a postseason series. All three games, one-run games, all three of them. And they had the atmosphere, a sellout crowd at Truist Park. They were behind their Braves all three games. And these kind of games are low scoring. These kind of games are tight. These kind of games, as we know, in the last couple of postseasons, and the Dodgers are not strangers to this. This isn't an inexperienced team in postseason play.
Speaker 1: They know.
Speaker 4: They played in a Game 7 of a World Series last year with their backs up against the wall in the ninth inning. They know pressure. They know how high stakes it is comes October. So I expect this team to turn it up another notch. I expect this team to play at a different level when we got to October. I expect that. But right now, against the better teams in baseball, those teams are coming out and shoving against the Dodgers. And it's the offense. It's just plain and simple. I mean, look at the pitching in these last three games. It hasn't been bad. You know, you saw last night Sasaki get the blister and come out of the game. But the bullpen pitched well. Tonight, pitching into the seventh inning, Yamamoto gave up one run on four hits, struck out eight. He gave the Dodgers every chance to win this baseball game, and they couldn't.
Speaker 13: 866-987-2570.
Speaker 4: We'll take one more call before we take a break. Let's go out to Edgar in Anaheim. Thanks for being patient, Edgar. How are you doing?
Speaker 11: Hey, guys.
Speaker 9: I think we're panicking a little bit here. I think we're panicking a little bit. You've got to have some confidence. You've got to realize the Braves, the other good teams, the Brewers, they have one good pitcher, right? And the guy that pitched against the Dodgers today.
Speaker 10: That's all they have. Eventually, all that's going to be exposed in the playoffs. It's going to be exposed. The Dodgers have more options, and it will show in a seven-game series the best team will win, and it's going to be the Dodgers. We've got to calm down a little bit. The one thing that does worry me, something that worries me, we have to match the other team's intensity because the Dodgers, right now, they're a huge target. Remember, nobody has ever won three World Series in the Rona National League. It's never happened. So this is not going to be a cakewalk. It's going to be hard. You've got to expect every team we play, they're going to bring their A game.
Speaker 6: No doubt.
Speaker 4: Every team is. It's the Pirates, the Royals, or it's the Atlanta Braves. And I appreciate the phone call, Edgar. Absolutely. The Dodgers know this. This isn't a secret. This isn't something that's catching up to them and catching them by surprise. They know. They're getting everybody's best shot. And they've weathered a lot of storms this season. to get to 80 wins, to have an eight-game lead in the division, to be the second-best team in the National League. I don't think people are necessarily panicking, but the reality is they're 6-16 against teams over. 500. And they're beating the teams that they're supposed to, but when they get to better teams like the Brewers and the Braves, who they're going to most likely see one or both in the postseason, they lose three or four to Milwaukee and they get swept by Atlanta. That's the reality of it. We'll take a break. We'll come back. We'll get to more of your phone calls. We'll hear from Tarek Skubal as well. Dodgers lose to the Braves.
Speaker 1: Tough one.
Speaker 4: Chris Sale shoved tonight. A complete game shutout allowed five hits, struck out 11. He was really good to pick up his 13th win. Yoshinobu Yamamoto, equally good. Pitched into the seventh inning. One run, four hits, eight strikeouts. Dodgers just couldn't get going anything offensively tonight against Chris Sale. We'll take a timeout. We'll come back. More of your phone calls as well right here on AM570 LA Sports. Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Dodgers fans, this is Mookie Betts.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the home of the back-to-back world champion Dodgers on AM570 LA Sports.
Speaker 4: Mookie Betts had a couple of base hits for the Dodgers tonight. Had a double in the fourth inning to lead off against Chris Sale, but the Dodgers stranded him in second. Dodgers had five hits in the entire game. That was it offensively as the Atlanta Braves and Chris Sale shut out the Dodgers 1-0. Sale, a complete game shutout. Five hits struck out 11 to get the win. His 13th of the year. Yoshinobu Yamamoto gets the loss. He falls to 12-8. Dodgers baseball is brought to you by our friends at Daniels Jewelers. They present the Home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a $ 50 Daniels Jewelers gift card, just visit am570lasports. com. Keyword home run into your name, and you could win Daniels Jewelers' Own the Dream. Chris Sale owned the Dodgers tonight, but you know what? The Dodgers lose all three games in Atlanta by one run in each game. Very easily could have flipped the other way for the Dodgers, as it is. The Dodgers now at 80-54 on the season as they head to Detroit for a three-game series against the Detroit Tigers. We'll hear from Tarek Skubal coming up. in just a couple of minutes as he joined David Vasse on the pregame show. Let's go back out to the phones. My guy, Ken Newport Beach.
Speaker 1: How you doing, Ken? Hey there.
Speaker 11: Doing okay. A little upset. Just a couple of stats here and there. Dodgers are 11-13 the month of August. They're now four or five games under. 500 with winning teams over. 500 this year. The biggest problems they have, I'm going to talk about two, and then the third one that really bothers me. See, Oscar's hitting 170 in the month of August. Yeah. Tucker, not much better. But don't expect those guys to consistently hit, and they're not. Otani is a real problem for me. He's hitting 263 in the month of August with 28 strikeouts, and he looks terrible.
Speaker 6: He's swinging at.
Speaker 11: Pitches two feet away. He's letting balls go right down the middle. This is the worst I've seen him.
Speaker 4: You hope, Kenny, he figures it out come October. You hope these guys can turn it around. And I appreciate it, and I got to keep going, Kenny, here. But I understand what you're saying. And I'm going to throw another one on top of that.
Speaker 10: Is that– is the.
Speaker 4: Fact that– Freddie Freeman hasn't hit a home run since the 4th of July. There's no power there. This is a team that relies on slugging. When Freddie Freeman's not hitting home runs, and Teoscar Hernandez is not hitting home runs, and Shohei Otani's struggling the way he did tonight in this series, and as you mentioned in his last 16 games, the struggle is real for this offense. You're relying on Tommy Edmond to hit home runs, and Max Muncy can only save you so many times. Kyle Tucker's struggles are real as well. You're seeing it right now. I think the worst part for the Dodgers is a lot of guys are going through it, but you hope that they can get through, get to Labor Day, get to September, and hopefully turn things around here as they move forward into October. I believe they will. I believe they will put it all together. They've put together the defense for the most part. They've gotten better on the base running, and certainly the pitching has been really good as of late. Let's head back out to Atlanta. Let's hear from the Dodger manager, Mookie, the Dodger manager, Dave Roberts. Let's see what he has to say postgame after the Dodgers lose 1-0 to Chris Sale and the Atlanta Braves.
Speaker 7: They went toe-to-toe. I thought Yoshi was great. Obviously, first pitch of the game, split, you know, get a strike, and Baldwin hits a homer, and that's all they did to threaten, and that's baseball. But I think total body of work. Yoshi was fantastic. And just tonight, you know, we ran into a buzzsaw. Chris Sale, I don't think he won his last. He lost his last three decisions. And so he brought it tonight. And you can see the velocity, the slider. You know, everything was working tonight. So it really couldn't threaten tonight. So it's just one of those games. But obviously, you know, you get swept. So it stings a little bit more. on the back end of losing three in a row, but it's baseball. And it's one of those things where, as I was thinking about it tonight, it's, you know, the game tests you. And I think that this is one of those things that August is at third leg of a mile and it's the hardest leg. And, You know, we've got to get through it and grind. And there's a new series, a new team. We've got school going tomorrow. We've just got to flush it. I wish we'd played better. I wish we'd have won the game. I wish we'd have won the series. It didn't happen. But right now, there's nothing we can do but just go out there and keep trying to get better and win a baseball game. So it's going to be a quick turnaround. And like I said, we've got to flush.
Speaker 1: It and move on.
Speaker 4: All right, there's the manager, Dave Roberts. He's absolutely right. Chris Sale was that good. You tip your cap to him. But now they've got to turn around, and they can easily turn things around by winning the series or getting a sweep in Detroit against the Tigers this week and get back on track and then get back home for the first homestand coming up here in September, which actually begins on the 31st and then continues here into the first week of September. 866-987-2570 is the phone number. Blake in Colorado. My God, Blake, thanks for being patient. How you doing, buddy?
Speaker 13: Good. How are you doing today?
Speaker 4: I'm a little frustrated. Blake, are you worried? Are you hitting the panic button yet?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'm getting a little worried because we got swept from the number two best team in baseball. Number three best team in baseball.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it seems like when the Dodgers run into really good pitching, and they saw that in the Milwaukee Brewers series, they saw it in the Philadelphia Phillies series as well, and they saw it certainly in these three games against the Braves, tonight in particular with Chris Sale, they struggle. You know, they get into these high-leverage games, you get into these tight contests where runs are at a premium and the Dodgers just can't string together the hits.
Speaker 13: Yeah, they can't.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, it's off to Detroit now, Blake, and hopefully this team can turn things around. And no better guy to have on the mound than Tarek Skubal tomorrow in the series, Oprah. Are you doing well other than that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, hi.
Speaker 13: Do you see any changes coming as we spend a roster in September?
Speaker 4: Well, I think they're going to add another arm. Probably Emmitt Sheehan will get called up. And then, Derek, you only add two. Remember, you don't expand the rosters too much, but you can add two. So we'll see if Tibbs is a guy they bring up from AAA who's having a really good season as an outfielder and first baseman. We'll find out. Don't forget, Will Smith's going to come back for the next homestand, it looks like. as he continues to play well in AAA Oklahoma City on his rehab assignment. I appreciate the phone call, Blake. I'll be back on Sunday after the finale in Detroit. All right, my man?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 13: Talk to you Sunday.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 5: Good talk to you.
Speaker 4: Real quick, let's say hi to Izzy. Izzy, how frustrated are you right now?
Speaker 13: Very frustrated. I've been frustrated all year with the offense. You know. I don't know. I'm so disappointed about them losing to Atlanta. And please tell Manny P that it's not time to play the panic button. Please, if it was the playoff, yeah, I would agree with that. But this isn't the playoff. But still, though, they are not playing well. They just got swept in Colorado. It's going to be hard sleeping the whole weekend. I'm disappointed. I really started with two outings. If it were two outings last night, I would have been okay with it. I don't know what to say anymore.
Speaker 5: I'm with you, Izzy. I'm with you.
Speaker 1: I'm frustrated.
Speaker 4: I'm at a loss for words, but unfortunately I can't be at a loss for words because I've got to talk. We've got to talk here on Dodger Talk, and I appreciate it, Izzy. We'll check in with you soon. Thanks for checking in tonight. I get your frustration. The Dodgers need to turn things around offensively, and at this point it's now a collection of Dodger hitters that need to turn things around, from Shohei Otani to Kyle Tucker, who has struggled all season long, to Teoscar Hernandez, who, folks, the struggle is real for Teoscar Hernandez. who was 0-4 tonight with two strikeouts, they're going to have to make a decision. As I mentioned earlier, with Quique Hernandez able to play third base and left field, both right-handed hitters, Mr. October, Quique Hernandez, they're going to have to make a decision. What are they going to do come October in left field? Is Teoscar Hernandez going to play himself out of starting in left field and become a guy off the bench? He could if he continues to play the way he's playing, defensively and the way he's not hitting at the plate. It's a real question.
Speaker 5: I think the.
Speaker 4: Dodgers coaching staff, Dave Roberts, are going to have to start looking at this. what to do in left field come October. The Dodgers are going to flush this, as Dave Roberts said. I get what he's saying. They're not going to see Chris Sale until the postseason. Then it'll be an adventure against him as well because he's certainly... One of the best pitchers in baseball, no doubt about it. What's frustrating is, think about it, the Dodgers actually out-hit the Braves tonight. Out-hit them 5-4. They just couldn't string together those five hits over nine innings. And one mistake, that's it, one mistake given up by Yamamoto on the first pitch he threw in the bottom of the first to Drake Baldwin. A splitter over the heart of the plate and he took it deep into the chop house in right field. The only run of the game in a 1-0 Braves shutout as the Dodgers fall to 80-54. They get swept out of Atlanta. They're now three games back of Milwaukee for the top spot in the National League and only one game up on Atlanta for the second spot in the National League. And again, the top two teams in the National League will get buys in the wild card round. Now it's off to Detroit for a three-game series. Scooble, Snell, and Glasnow will pitch this weekend at Comerica Park. Yes, the return of Tarek Scooble as he heads back to Detroit where he came up and he pitched and won a Cy Young with the Detroit Tigers, traded to the Dodgers at the deadline, and now he's heading back. What are his emotions going into this series against the Tigers? Well, on the pregame show earlier today, David Vasse caught up with Tarek Scooble.
Speaker 2: What are your feelings? Do you have a little butterflies? Are you looking forward to it? I know you have to pitch tomorrow. How do you handle all this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the game of baseball is always going to stay the game of baseball. You know, that's something that I pride myself on is treating every game as if it's the same, you know. But, you know, I'm very familiar, obviously, with the stadium and all the guys across the way.
Speaker 5: And, you know, I look forward to seeing all those guys, too.
Speaker 3: You know, some of those guys are my really good friends, and we're going to have relationships soon. beyond baseball. So, you know, I look forward to getting back there and, you know, pitching.
Speaker 2: Freddie Freeman, since we're in Atlanta, when he first came back to Atlanta with the Dodgers, it was obviously an emotional return. He's a position player. He can do all that stuff. Do you feel like going back to Detroit will be a certain sense of closure for you?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't, I mean, I'm not really looking for that either. You know, it's It's a sport. It's a business, right?
Speaker 5: Things happen.
Speaker 3: I look forward to just competing with my teammates. That's kind of what I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 2: When we're in Detroit, will you be ashamed of me? Will you deny me three times? How will you embrace me in your former baseball home?
Speaker 10: The same.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, when I get there, I'm going to act like I don't know anybody on the team. That's what I'm going to try and do. No, no, I'm the same. I'm the same guy.
Speaker 2: Derek Skubal is our guest, and I've, in the short time, I've gotten to really enjoy being around you, and I love the way that you talk the game. You said in your introductory press conference you'd be a weirdo and go watch other guys throw their bullpen sessions. I've noticed you go out there and watch Yamamoto, who's pitching tonight. So what have you taken away from watching Yamamoto and how he goes about his in-between starts preparation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, his process is so special. It's so unique. It works for him.
Speaker 3: He's so methodical on every single time he throws the baseball. And, you know, even if it's just like warming up, you know, I feel like there's just the intent behind everything is special. The intent behind the way he warms up is directly correlated to how he throws the baseball. You know, it's just his whole process is pretty special. And that's something that I've taken away is I should probably have a little bit more focus on my day-to-day throws, you know, on, on each and every throw and, and the way he commands the baseball, there's no mistake, you know, there's no, like, he's not just gifted. I think he works his ass off to, to be able to do all those things. And he's become very good at commanding the baseball. And that's something that, um, I would always love to get better at. And I've been fortunate enough to be able to pick his brain and kind of ask what he cues for this cues for that, what he's thinking in this situation, um, and all that stuff.
Speaker 5: So I, I, I'm a big fan of, of how he goes about his business.
Speaker 2: I saw you doing yoga in the clubhouse yesterday. When did you start to incorporate yoga?
Speaker 5: It's not really yoga. It's just a warm-up.
Speaker 1: What is yoga?
Speaker 3: Well, certain positions are just good for your spine and good for your body and good for your hips. And you do those positions in yoga a lot, for sure. But yeah, it's just what works for me and gets me moving every single day to where I feel comfortable when I pick up a baseball and I'm ready to go.
Speaker 2: So I don't want you to feel like you're in the shadow of Kershaw with me, but I spent every day for 15 years watching him and He kind of went away from, you know, crushing in the weight room and then started to go to yoga and doing some of the moves that you did. Is that something that you've incorporated recently, or is that something.
Speaker 5: That you always did?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I've always done that preparation since 2018, really, since I got into pro ball. And then that routine has changed over time, but I've always had some sort of prep routine to get going. And as far as working out, you know, I don't really– I've also– changed that a lot, made some adjustments on that aspect of how I treat my in-seas lifts and when I work out, how I work out. All that stuff is very structured to what I think works for me and what keeps me fresh. And a lot of that changed after I had an injury in 23. I changed my entire routine, and it's just made me feel fresher, better in between starts, and I'm not so run down anymore. And I just feel like I can be healthier and sustain some stuff. And you can kind of see it in my velocity. And obviously the results are the results. But just the way I feel every fifth day is really good too. So that's how I know my process is. is the right thing for me. And it's always evolving, you know, with a workload and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Hey, speaking of the results and velocity and your last start at Dodger stadium, it was impressive to watch you dig deep in the sixth and seventh innings over a hundred pitches and dialing up what you were dialing up. Where does that come from? And I'm curious if you've ever pitched angry, have you ever pitched angry?
Speaker 3: Um, I think there's always a little bit of edge. I don't know if it's anger, but there's always a little bit of edge, you know, when I pitch, um, I don't know. You just kind of find some things, and sometimes you're frustrated with yourself, and that's all it takes. But, yeah, I think sometimes there's times to kind of let it go and then get after it, and I think that I can do that throughout an entire game. I can run it up to 100 in the first, and I can run it up to 100 at pitch, 100 plus. I've always thought that that's the way that I play baseball, and it's the way that I prepare. It's the reason I do everything that I do is so that way. when I'm out there, I feel confident in going out there and putting our team in a really good spot to win a game.
Speaker 2: That's what's special about you and other guys that are at the top of your game. Obviously, everybody sees what you do when you're on the mound, but what's so special is the privilege of watching you and others go about your preparation to get to that point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 3: I think all the good ones have a really good process and a really good plan of what makes them good and what makes them tick, and and each guy, the individual of each guy is going to be different, right, you know, what works for me isn't going to work for the next guy, you know, what works for Blake is not going to work for me, you know, what works for Glass, but I think that everyone has that process that they're super bought into, and they're almost stubborn to it, you know, and they just stick to it, whether things are going well or things are going bad, they stick to it, they make these little micro adjustments, and then they turn into the player that you see every fifth day, and that's what I've noticed just being around really good players. Um, and that's why I love being teammates with really good players is you kind of just watch and feed and learn and listen and all those things. And I've been fortunate enough to have some really good managers too, you know, in my career and, and some really good coaching that has kind of helped guide me and corral me and get my focus on what my focus needs to be.
Speaker 4: All right, well, there's Tarek Skubal with David Vasse earlier today on Dodgers on Deck. He makes his return back to Comerica Park. Yes, traded to the Dodgers at the deadline. Dodgers on this road trip heading back to Detroit for a three-game weekend series. And as it lines up, Tarek Skubal will make the start in the series opener against Drew Anderson tomorrow. And there was Tarek Skubal again with David Vasse earlier talking about what his feelings are going back to Detroit. Well, that's going to do it for Dodger Talk on this Thursday night. A rough night for the Dodgers as they get shut out by Chris Sale, a complete game five hitter, 11 strikeouts. Braves, a solo home run in the first. That's all they needed, though, from Drake Baldwin as they beat the Dodgers 1-0. Thanks to Colin Yee. Thanks to all you for being a part of the show. We're back at it tomorrow. Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck starting at 230. First pitch at 340. Tarek Skubal makes his return back to Detroit. So long, everybody.