Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: Face a spring training Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again, Brigara Running.
Speaker 1: Back hosted by Dodgers Saint signer David Bassi. How are yea three pet in the Mexican In on.
Speaker 4: The show called eight six six not eighty seven two five seven, And be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Bassing.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasey live at Campbell Back Ranching, Glendale, Arizona, with your back to back World Series champion Dodgers. We're with you tonight until eight o'clock. We've got a great show for you coming up. In fifteen minutes. You'll hear from Alex Vesia, who returned to a Major League mound, albeit in spring training today, and he was received with a standing ovation from the fans here at Kemelback Ranch when he came in and he delivered, pitched a scoreless inning and got a standing ovation from his own dugouts. So you'll hear what Vesia had to say about that coming up in fifteen minutes, and at the bottom of the hour, I'll share my conversation with Freddie Freeman, who is the only player in baseball history to have two walk off home runs in the World Series. Obviously Game three twenty eighteen or excuse me, eighteen inning game in last year's World Series, and then in twenty twenty four, of course, the Game one walk off Grand Slam against the Yankees. So Freddie Freeman, the three time World Series champion and future Hall of Famer, will join us at the bottom of the hour. This is going to be a busy week for Dodger Talk. We have four shows, including tonight. After tonight, we have a show every night this week except Thursday, Tomorrow, Wednesday, Friday, we have Dodger Talk for you from seven to eight o'clock. And our next Dodgers radio broadcast is going to be Wednesday afternoon right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports at twelve ten.
Speaker 3: So we got you.
Speaker 2: Covered all week long right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports with Dodger Talk four nights this week. Tonight, the Dodgers are coming off their third win of the spring. They have won their first three games of spring training and it hasn't been close. I'm just looking at these scores now. I was gonna read them individually, but it bears to just put this all together because it may be a preview of things to come. The Dodgers, in their first three games of Cactus League play have outscored their opponents twenty three to three. They beat the Angels fifteen to two on Saturday, beat the Padres five to one yesterday, and shut out the Mariners today three to nothing. Now, I'm not a guy that puts a lot of stock in spring training games, but I will say this, everybody from Teoscar Hernandez to Miguel Rojas to James Tibbs the third have been very disciplined in the strike zone. These Dodger hitters are not chasing. So that's one thing that stands out to me already. Another thing that stands out to me is how good the Dodgers pitching is. You know, you see some of these teams like the Angels and the Padres, who obviously are not throwing every major league reliever after the starter comes out. But that's the biggest difference between the Dodgers and these other teams. You got a guy like Jackson Ferris starting the game yesterday. You got a guy like Landon Naxt starting today, and then more and more guy guys that you know and our major league viable come into the game compared to the Padres and Angels who are struggling to find guys to come into spring training games and to throw strikes. So to me, that's the biggest thing that has stood out so far in the first three spring training games that the Dodgers organizational depth, not only pitching wise, but position player wise, really really starts to rear its head even this early in spring training. Eight six six nine eight seven two five p seventy is the phone number the Dodgers are going to play tomorrow here at Camelback Ranch against the Cleveland Guardians. Freddie Freeman is expected to make his first start of spring training tomorrow. Then the Dodgers are going to stagger in guys like Muncie and Mookie Betts. Dave Roberts told me after the game today that the the reason why te Oscar Hernandez and Andy Pajez have played in all three games to open the Cactus League is because they wanted to They wanted to play early, and they wanted to play every day. So kudos to those two guys and the way the Dodgers starting rotation breaks down the rest of the week. Tomorrow, Gavin Stone will be on the mound for the Dodgers. He's coming back from shoulder surgery. Roki Sasaki, who Dave Roberts said earlier today, is definitely going to be part of the Dodger rotation. He's starting on Wednesday. Tyler Glassnew will start Thursday, and Yama Moto will start on Friday before he leaves for Team Japan and the World Baseball Classic. Originally, Dave Roberts said said that yama Moto was only making one start and that was going to be the first game of the Cactus League. Well, it turns out when Dave Roberts went to the mound and took Yamamoto out and said good luck in the World Baseball Classic, Yamamoto said, I'm pitching Friday. So Yamamoto pitches Friday, and speaking of the World Baseball Classic and Team Japan, I'm not sure if you caught this yesterday, but I did pose this scenario to sho Hao Tani. I said, show, hey, come on, we got the ninth inning Team USA versus Japan close game for the championship of the World Baseball Classic. Are you sure that you will resist the temptation to come into the game to close it out for Team Japan, similar to what you did four years ago when you struck out Mike Trout. And sho Hao Tani did not shut me down. He left the door wide open for the possibility of him pitching in that type of scenario for Team Japan in the World Baseball Classic. What O Tani told me was, and I'm sure you've seen this on social media if you're listening or watching the broadcast yesterday, He said, if Mike Trout shows up very tempting, well, Mike Trout is not coming through that door for Team USA. But you know who might come out of the dugout Aaron Judge. You're telling me team Japan clinging to a one, a two, or a three run lead, and Aaron Judge is one of the three hitters coming up in the ninth inning. That show Heo Tani is not going to say I want this, I want this stage. I know he's in a different spot than he was four years ago pitching wise, but he still is the greatest player in the game, and he has a lot of pride for himself and for his country. I believe that in that type of scenario, not anything else, just that type of scenario. Championship game a one a two run game and Japan needs a closer, I would say there's a really good chance Otani will come out of the bullpen for Japan and try to close it.
Speaker 3: Out for them. Do you believe that?
Speaker 2: I believe that, And could you envision show Heotani facing Aaron Judge with two outs in the Championship game, similar to Otani versus Mike Trout four years ago. You're telling me that won't give the baseball season the momentum that it needs the way it did four years ago. And there's a real possibility that those two guys could match up against each other in the World Series, Aaron Judge versus Sho Haotani, And I'm going out on the limb right now. It will be a rematch of the twenty twenty four World Series this year.
Speaker 3: In the fall.
Speaker 2: Classic Dodgers Yankees will be the World Series matchup again this year, And yes, the Dodgers will three peat. Hey, some people have to take stances. Nobody wants to take a stance around here. I'm ready to take a stance and call my shot. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Who's your pick for the World Series? You know the Dodgers. You're picking the Dodgers. Who's coming out of the American League? And here's something I will leave you with the Dodgers since twenty eighteen, every World Series they have been in, they have played a team from the Al East except the Baltimore Orioles twenty eighteen, the Red Sox you may have forgotten about. Twenty twenty, it was the Rays, twenty twenty four, the Yankees, and last year, of course, the Dodgers beating the Blue Jays. So the Dodgers have taken down all comers from the Al East except the Red Sox in twenty eighteen. Is it going to be the Orioles? Maybe? Maybe? But I got the Yankees again eight six, six, nine eight seven in two five seventy. When we continue your phone calls, we have phone lines open. We're with you until eight o'clock. I'm lonely here at camel Back Ranch. Snailzilla has gone home, but the lights are still on. David Vasse with you right here on a F five to seventy LA Sports. We are with you until eight o'clock tonight, live from camel Back Ranch in Glendale, Arizona, where the Dodgers played their first home game of the Cactus League today and shut out the Mariners three to nothing. It was a well pitched game. We saw guys like Landon Nag, Kyle Hurt, among others. Will Klein got into the game. Alex Vesia, who will hear from in just a moment, also pitched a scoreless inning. So it was a well pitched game by guys that the Dodgers are going to need at some point in time this season, some more than others. We have phone lines open at eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five seventy. I just can't get over this. As I was about to go through the scores of the first three games of the Cactus League, the Dodgers have outscored their opponents in the first three games of this year's spring training twenty three to three. That's I mean, that just shows the dominance. But more importantly, the depth. We're talking about games that have not seen more than two three regulars for the Dodgers to play in a game so far this year, that's that's just a testament to me. You know, everybody focuses on the payroll the Dodgers have, but to me, that's just a testament to the player development and how deep this organization is beyond you know, the superstar players. So I you know, the over under I saw today because here in Arizona, gambling is very legal, so I was curious to see the over under of win totals for teams, and right now they have the Dodgers over under at one hundred three and a half. I am in favor of the Dodgers not winning one hundred games because in these back to back championship years, the Dodgers have not won one hundred games. If you remember, in years previous to the last two, they've won one hundred games but have come up short in October. So for those you know, what's so funny is how the narrative changes from one offseason to the other when it comes to the Dodgers. Everybody was saying how bad the Dodgers were for baseball and how great their lineup was, and that they were going to beat the Mariners all time wins record of one hundred and sixteen wins. You know, by mid season, everybody was wondering, what's going on with this offense? What's going on with the Dodgers. What's going on with the Dodgers is they don't care about their Mariners one hundred and sixteen wins. They care about winning the WARLD World Series. And Andrew Freeman has mastered how to win the regular season. And with the additions of Tyler Glass now Yamamoto Otani now pitching to go along with Blake Snell, they have guys that they care about having ready for October. So that's where things stand with the Dodgers. Eight six six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Long Beach. David, You're on Dodger Talk. Lead us off tonight. How are you doing, David Good?
Speaker 5: How are you, sir?
Speaker 2: Can't be can't be bad at spring training when you're with the back to back world champs, every day is a great day.
Speaker 5: That's right. I agree with you totally. Now you made a comment as far as like this this coming year's World Series. I don't see the Yankees making it because, like last year, Toronto really had their numbers. So I'm looking at a rematch Dodgers in the Blue Jays Dodgers in seven. And now I have the question for you if I'm asked, I.
Speaker 2: Don't love the Blue Jays as much as I liked them last year. I think they're really going to miss Bobashett. They're counting on a lot of guys that were, you know, October really good and got hot at the right time. But I'm not buying the Blue Jays.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: Can I ask you a question? Maybe you can look this up for me. Out of all the World Series that the Dodgers have won, I don't think they've ever won any at home. Would that be correct?
Speaker 3: Because they weren't correct.
Speaker 2: They've only won once at home, and that includes the fifty five Dodgers who won a Yankee Stadium. The Dodgers in nineteen sixty three swept the Yankees and they won Game four at Dodgers Stadium. But you're right, they haven't done it all but one time to win the World Series, that at home, and only one time at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 5: Okay, thanks for figuring that out for me.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it, Yeah, no problemppreciate it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If you go back to when the Dodgers moved here in nineteen fifty eight, they won the World Series the second year in Los Angeles, a seven game win over the White Sox. In nineteen fifty nine, that was in Chicago, and then you fast forward to sixty three they swept Mickey Mantle and the Yankees won that at Dodgers Stadium, but sixty five against the Twins in Minnesota, and then you fast forward to nineteen eighty one. That was at Yankee Stadium. Eighty eight was in Oakland. Twenty twenty was at a neutral site in Texas. The one real chance they had of winning the World Series at Dodgers Stadium. Game seven of the twenty seventeen World Series eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. And speaking of the twenty seventeen World Series, Chase Sutley has been around the Dodgers again. He spent three years in London with his family, but he's back in la and is back being incorporated in the Dodgers' front office, and he has a lot to lend and he is going to join us tomorrow night on Dodger Talk, and I am going to ask him about the last game he ever played in Major League Baseball, Game seven of the twenty seventeen World Series. Nobody has ever heard what Chase Suttley feels about the Astros and those trash cans and how they robbed him of, you know, winning the World Series in his last season in the big leagues. And same goes for Andre Eighthier, who is out here today. His last game in Major League Baseball was Game seven of the twenty seventeen World Series. In fact, Andre Eighthier was the only Dodger to drive in a run in Game seven of the seventeen World Series. So when you think back to that year, I know everybody, especially Major League Baseball, wants to bury it and everybody to forget about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, the guys like Justin Turner and Key Gay, they got more opportunity of East Kershaw. But think about this, the narrative going into the seventeen World Series. Kershaw was a choke artist in the postseason. He wasn't a playoff performer. Well, he pitched a great game in Game one of the World Series, in seventeen, nobody talks about that. And he also is pitching a great game in Game five, but for some reason, the Astros were not swinging at his devastating slider.
Speaker 3: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: So if he wins Game five, dominates Game one, dominates Game five like he should have if they were not cheating, what's the narrative about Clayton Kershaw's career even in twenty seventeen. And then you think about guys like rich Hill, andre Ethier, Chase Utley, even a guy like Logan Forsyth. That was their last chance to win a World Series, and rich Hill and Andre Ethier never won a World Series in their career, So major League Baseball and everybody else could try to, you know, guys like Alex Bregman. Aj Hinch is managing again for the Tigers. How does Carlos Beltran get into the Hall of Fame If the writers are so against cheating, what's who's the biggest cheater that just got elected into the Hall of Fame? Carlos Beltran. He was the mastermind behind the Astros cheating. So that's that's something to consider. And tomorrow Chase Sutley is going to join us and it'll be the first time that anybody has asked him that I've heard of about the twenty seventeen World Series and how that went down. So tomorrow night at seven point thirty, Chase Sutley is going to join us, and look, it's not going to be about the seventeen World Series, but I do plan to ask him about it. But I do plan to celebrate Chase Utley and what he has meant to a lot of players since he joined the Dodgers and just where his career is going now post playing with the Dodgers and under Andrew Friedman. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number coming up in about eight minutes, you'll hear from Freddy Freeman. Had a chance to catch up with Freddy one on one. We'll hear what he had to say about this year's Dodgers, last year's World Series, and his plans to play four more years and wanting to play it in Dodger Blue. But earlier this afternoon, Alex Vesia returned to the Mound and it was an emotional return because kudos to the fans at camel Back Ranch. It wasn't sold out. It's a Monday afternoon. Everybody had to go back home and go back to work. But the fans that were here for the Dodgers and Mariners game, you did a great job of recognizing the moment, giving Vess a standing ovation, and he heard it. And even more special than that, or just as special, was his own dugout after he pitched a scoreless inning in relief. They gave him a standing ovation when he came out of the game. I was standing in the clubhouse and look Sia has not spoken publicly since his opening statement. When he got here, did not take any questions. When he came into the clubhouse, he broke the ice and came up to me and said, hey, you're ready to talk some baseball, asked me some baseball questions. I wasn't the only one that had some questions, and we caught up with him after the game today and after he came out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, it's uh, it's been hard. Actually it's uh. I guess it's hard in a good way because I want to interact with all the fans stuff like that, but I know that I have a job.
Speaker 6: To do, so you know, even on the backfields.
Speaker 7: First day, we walk out the doors and you know, cheers and lots of love. So yeah, it means a lot to not only myself, but for K two.
Speaker 3: It's been a while since you were on the mound.
Speaker 2: What have you kind of try to focus on as far as the mechanics, just staying within yourself when you go out there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, honestly, I you know, in November, I got back to work, just throwing, getting the body just right, you know, I just I just want to have fun on the mound.
Speaker 6: Honestly.
Speaker 7: I just want to you know, be able to spaz out and and kind of just be myself out there, because right now that's you know, I feel really good out there and it's just me and myself and baseball.
Speaker 3: Are you getting the action that you want on your fastball?
Speaker 5: I think?
Speaker 6: I mean, I think so.
Speaker 7: I haven't looked at any anything today, but like I mean, keeping hitters, you know, off balance and throwing my slide at for a strike, pounding the zone. That's all I really want to work on for right now. And you know when the game has me adjust, well, we'll be there for that.
Speaker 6: Those abs you got against show hey over the last like week.
Speaker 1: Here, honestly, like that was cool.
Speaker 6: That was cool.
Speaker 7: It kind of I haven't competed like that and quite some times, so you know, shows the most competitive guy that that I know, and I'm ready for it and that that was fun. That was a good little little tune up. And I asked them a couple of times just like kind of seeing like where the armslot was and you know, with like fastballs and sliders.
Speaker 6: And then it was actually funny.
Speaker 7: I saw somebody on Twitter had asked like, oh, now, let Vessie get in the box against show it, and I was like, no, thanks, absolutely not, so I'll stick to the pitching side.
Speaker 6: But yeah, today today was great.
Speaker 2: You h you had a challenge while you're out there and the catcher one if you rush, one if for you. So you're an emotional guy, do you have any hard and fast rules about Hey, I'm not gonna challenge. I'm leaving that up to the catcher.
Speaker 7: Honestly, I didn't even think about it until Rush did it, and I was like, oh, okay, yeah, we were doing that right, So honestly, like, I'm gonna leave that to Rush and to Will. I think that they've got a pretty pretty good idea of the zone. For myself, I'm just gonna try to hit the glove.
Speaker 6: I know you're talking us past about like trying to come into camp in the right kind of space physically between like the strength and just being able to move kind of. How do you feel like you struck that balance?
Speaker 7: You know this winner? And yeah, I mean, I'll be completely honest, I probably spent way too much time in the gym. Probably I needed it, But I feel really good. I think that my throw is in a really good spot. At least from all the coaching staff, They're very encouraged with where I'm at. I think I was ninety ninety two today, So like I'll take that. I've come into camp where I'm like eighty six eighty eight, you know. So you know, as long as the fastball has the ride and you know the efficiency, we're gonna be in a good spot and we'll keep building from there. But I am actually really happy that, you know, first outing or or we're in a good spot.
Speaker 2: Is uh the bullpen the biggest secret on this team. How good you guys are and can be.
Speaker 7: Man, we got a lineup, we got starting pitching bullpen. I mean, it's gonna be a fun year. I'm really excited. I think, uh, I think, or we're gonna do do some really cool things this year.
Speaker 2: Thank you, all right, if ers Alex VESSI after a very good day for him to get back out on the mound and be celebrated by the fans that stuck around here at Camelback Ranch and by his teammates, and continue to build off of that because obviously you go through what he and his wife Kay went through, that doesn't just go away, that stays with you the rest of your life. And speaking from firsthand knowledge, you know, I was there every step of the way with one of my cousins who his wife had a similar situation go down for them, you know, fifteen twenty years ago, So I know how tough that can be for a couple. And you don't wish that on anybody, but baseball is a great place to be and be around your teammates is very therapeutic for everybody. So great to have Alex Vessia smiling again. Great to have him back on the mound and hopefully that that just helps helps with everything, especially this year, and what would make him happier than being part of three consecutive World Series championships. And I really do mean that, you know, everybody's talking about the Dodger starting rotation, rightfully, so, everybody's given the Dodger offense and lineup a lot of attention, rightfully so. But Edwin Diaz changes so much for this Dodger bullpen. You have a reliable, big time closer for the first time since Kenley Jansen and Dave Roberts now just has to count out backwards now. And Edwin Diaz was very very much available for the Mets the last couple of years, not only for three out saves, but also four out saves and even sometimes five out saves, And that just takes a lot of pressure off Tanner, Scott Blake, Trinen, Jack Dryer, Alex Vesia. It just makes those guys that much better when you have that anchor at the back of your bullpen and you have that starting rotation. All of a sudden, now the games get a lot shorter for the opposition. If they don't have a lead by the sixth inning, it's probably going to be lights out. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number David Vass live at Camelback Ranching, Glendale, Arizona. When we continue you'll hear our conversation with Freddie Freeman, and one of my favorite local kids from Harvard Westlake is popping off to really try to endear himself to the fan base in Chicago. Pete Corow Armstrong, what are you doing? We'll let you know what PCA had to say in an interview with Chicago magazine The Local Kid.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Don't go anywhere more Dodger Talk until eight o'clock right here on a five to seventy LA Sports David Vass Live at Camelback Ranching, Glendale, Arizona.
Speaker 3: We're here all week. We got four shows.
Speaker 2: Tonight, well three more after tonight Tomorrow, Wednesday and Friday. Tomorrow, the Dodgers will host the Cleveland Guardians. We will not be airing that game on Dodgers Radio, but be back with you on Wednesday afternoon from a talking stick, and that is against Salt River Fields. Excuse me. The Dodgers will be facing the Arizona Diamondbacks. Will have that for you at twelve ten on Wednesday afternoon. Nolan Aernado, the newest Diamondbacks third Basement ran into Nolan last weekend and he's in great spirits, in great shape. And actually hit his first home run of the spring in the Diamondbacks first game. So looking forward to seeing Nolan Aernato hopefully started third base against the Dodgers on Wednesday. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number before we share my conversation with Freddie Freeman from earlier. I want to share with you one of my favorite local kids out of Harvard Westlake. I can't believe he is betraying his home city this way just to endear himselves with himself, with those Cubs fans, those lovable losers. Here's what Pete Crow Armstrong said in an interview with Chicago Magazine. Quote, Cubs fans give a s They aren't just baseball fans who go to the game like Dodgers fans to take a picture, to take pictures. They are paying attention. Really, PCA, you really want to go down this road. You really want to be public enemy number one in center field when the Cubs come to town. You're a local kid. You grew up a Dodger fan. You told me a couple of years ago at Justin Turner's golf tournament, how you love the passion and energy of Dodger fans. Now you're trying to basically, you know, say to Cubs fans, hey, I'm all yours. Well you can say that without putting down your home fan base, because you know Max Freed, Jack Flaherty never said that. And it's a small world. Pi crow Armstrong, one day you may be a Dodger, you may be wanting to come here. I would say the chances are greater than fifty percent that you want to be a Dodger at one point in time in your career. May not be in two years, may not be in five years. But when you say things like this about a fan base as big and loyal as the Dodgers are, man, you just put a target on yourself. You are going to get so many booze when you take the field at Dodger Stadium. When the Cubs come to town this year, was it really worth it? And by the way, the Cubs and Pi crow Armstrong come to town April twenty fourth, a weekend series April twenty fourth, twenty fifth, and twenty sixth. Can you believe Pi crow Armstrong said this? Cub those fans give a s They aren't just baseball fans who go to the game like Dodgers fans to take pictures they are paying attention. Well, there's nothing to take a picture of at Cubs games other than Wrigley Field because the team is really not that great. The best thing you got going for yourselves is the stadium. And what happened to that dynasty?
Speaker 3: Oops?
Speaker 2: Anyway, Pete crow Armstrong, I bet you walk this back. At some point you just got a little carry it away trying to tell all the Cubby fans how much you love them and how much you are there, So I'll give them a free pass. I like PCA a lot, but man, I kind of like this too. I do like him just letting it fly.
Speaker 5: More.
Speaker 2: Guys need to let it fly to create some drama in Major League Baseball eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. All right, A guy that would never say anything like that, A guy that is a true pros pro, he gets it. He is beloved in two separate big cities, Atlanta and LA. But hey, it's starting to look like Freddie Freeman is going to have more signature moments in a Dodger uniform, and maybe already has more rings in a Dodger uniform, And who knows one day in Cooperstown. Maybe has a Dodger cap on on his plaque. But here was our conversation with Freddie Freeman at Field one earlier. Well, at this stage of his career, I can only get to so many accolades. A National League MVP, a World Series MVP, but more importantly a winner, three time World Series champion. Freddie Freeman, thanks a lot for the time. And spring training has arrived. When I see that Freddie Freeman smile light up the entire camp.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's awesome. It's good to be back. You know, you have to see all the guys again, go through the grind to start the the road to three peats. It's fun. It's it's a beautiful day today and guys are getting to work in and we're getting ready to go.
Speaker 2: A year ago, at this time you were trying to come back from ankle surgery. How much happy are you now just having a normal off season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is nice. I'm not having to tape ankles, get here at five forty five in the morning to start treatment, to try and make it out here for practice. This is nice. It's nice to have a normal off season, get my work in, have no restrictions. It's definitely nice. I like these kind of off seasons and spring trainings.
Speaker 2: So how much preparation do you have to do still with the maintenance of your ankle.
Speaker 6: I haven't been in the training room yet. Oh yeah, So I feel good. I really do feel good. Everything feels good, So I don't need the trainers yet.
Speaker 2: Freddy, I know one of the staples of you working out during the off season is never having somebody in right field shagging for you. What's the game plan for you at this stage of your career in spring training?
Speaker 6: Yeah, saying what you just said. So the last the first few days have been really good. Swings in a good spot based swings, kind of getting into place. Balls are going to left center, live pp li vps have been going well, laying balls, travel tracks, he pitches. I'm trying to slow everything down. Everything it's exciting, so you get a little jumpy here, so you got to make sure you slow the slow of the game down a little bit of the same thing. But VP's been going good. Hitting balls the left center. If I hit all the right field, you'll probably see you might see you see myself yell at me myself in the cages. But things are going well. It's a good start so far.
Speaker 2: Everybody always wants to know what makes Freddy Freeman great when the season starts. So how do you approach spring training?
Speaker 6: I like to play, so I'm a guy that will get I think we just mapped it out yesterday. I'll get forty seven played appearances going into the season. So that's the that's the game plan. I like to play. Get the feet under me, get the legs under me, shock the body when playing back to back to back sometimes in spring. But right now, it's just getting the work in, grinding, you know, your timing, trying to get your timing as quick as you can. I mean I was facing my seventy one year old dad about five days ago, so trying to face Roki and Edwin and all those guys and livps. So you're just trying to get your working, get your timing going, and then get into the games and start getting some feel good swings and hits and build your confidence going in this season.
Speaker 2: You always come into camp ready. But when you looked around the clubhouse that first day of full squad, how impressed were you by your teammates that seem to be ready day one and the work they put in as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's kind of how it is in today's game. Everyone's coming in ready to go, and I think if you start a game today, you'd see all of us be ready to go and ready to go right now. So I think that's huge. Guys. The mentality has changed in the game in baseball in the last twenty years of how you come into spring training. Most of us are ready to go by day one, So I think that's good. We got a hungry group. We know what we're looking forward to and the grind, the chances of three p everyone coming for us, So we came in ready. The hunger's here. Everyone's doing a great job in the first few days of camp, and you know, get ready to start this spring training season so far.
Speaker 2: Last year, you guys took everybody's best shot during the regular season, but you never wavered, You never overemphasized one win or one loss. Do you feel like that serves you guys that well going into this season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think I think we have a bunch of veteran guys, so we know we're gonna go through the ups and downs. You know, obviously there's worse ways to lose during the course of a season. But we're not gonna win every game. That's just kind of how it goes. So you take the hits when you hit, take the hits. Like last August, we weren't playing that good of baseball and then we got some guys back off the eel and we started playing good, and we played good in the postseason. So I know when fans are watching their hanging on episode or we believe me, we are not happy if we lose a game. But and you just got to know, it's a one, six or two grind. You know, some days, Doc there's not relievers available, and most fans and people don't know who's available who's not available. So we do a great job of trying to keep everyone healthy as through the course of the year as best as we can while we're trying to win baseball games. And I think the fans that watch us play know that, you know, we give out our all every day. You guys are out there seeing us work at two o'clock in the afternoon getting ready for seven o'clock games. We love it. We grind, but you can take things from wins, and then you can also just move on from wins and losses a little bit differently during the course of season. So but the thing is is, I've always tried to harp on you got to win that game that night because you can sell it. Last year we had one less win than the Blue Jays during the course of the World Series regular seasons, so we didn't have home field advantage. So there is those things that you got to be mindful of. And you know, don't ever take a pitch off. We don't. But if you do lose a game, sometimes you just push it this side and worry about the next one.
Speaker 2: Paddy Freeman coming off back to back World Series championships, two consecutive World Series with walk off home runs, I'm curious. I know you're a big baseball fan, your boys are big baseball fans. How much did you replay Game six in Game seven or did you kind of stay away from it?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't know how many times someone has come up to me and said, what a great series. That was such a fun series to watch, And I'm like, it wasn't a fun series to play. Okay, there was about eighty different times we could have lost Game six and seven, but That's what's so beautiful about this game and about the season and that run was we got out of so many situations. We found different ways to win. We won differently than we did in twenty twenty four as well. You sold Glass coming out of the bullpen that he's never done. You have Yoshinova doing superhero things. You have Blake coming out of bullpens. It was just amazing, Robuski stepping up. There's so many different things that happened that it took the whole team to win the World Series last year, and I think that's what's pretty cool. And obviously we're going to try and do it a little bit differently this year and you know, put it all together, so we're not leaning on starting pitching like we did last year or bullpen and offense before. Maybe I'll just do it all perfectly this year and everyone contributes perfectly going into another World Series win.
Speaker 2: Well, the rest of the offense should take a cue from Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 6: Keep it simple, that's the goal, and sometimes it's hard to keep it simple in this game. Your mind, this is the hardest part the brain in this game. So keep it simple and stick with your plan and approach and your routine and usually the big things will take care of themselves if you've.
Speaker 3: Stick to the little things before I let you go.
Speaker 2: Kyle Tucker, what are your first impressions of him and having him in the lineup somewhere in the orbit of Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's nice. That's gonna be a tough lineup to navigate, just four straight All Stars superstar player to come onto our team. We got a great group of guys here and trying to make him feel welcome as soon as we can. And I think he's doing a great job fitting in. It's gonna be a fun season with him for the next few years.
Speaker 2: Were you surprised how people reacted to you saying at FanFest that you want to play four more years? I mean, you have not slowed down one bit. I don't know why anybody would be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't. I obviously don't really read what's going on.
Speaker 3: Is that a thing everybody's like, Oh, he wants to play four more years?
Speaker 6: You want me to stop sooner?
Speaker 2: I don't. I certainly don't. You're a legacy Dodger at this point.
Speaker 6: Appreciate that. Yeah, I mean, obviously, you know when you're you got kids, and you know, obviously I love playing this game. I love it to death. So but I've played a long time, so I have like is for the number that like it's a dead stop or do I even get there? Who knows, but that's in my mind. That's kind of the rough estimate. So if I stay healthy and I'm playing, we'll see what the kids want me to do. But I'm not sure if Chelsea wants me to keep flying and traveling every other week during the season. But I love my family. I like to be home with them, but I also love this game. But I've played a long time, so four is just a number that's kind of out there, floated in my head. But we'll see how the next few years a go.
Speaker 2: I'm a big advocate Freddie Freeman four more years and Dodge you're blue, so we'll get to that.
Speaker 6: And also Andrews, I'll trust me, he'll hear the show.
Speaker 3: I'll be saying this often like I already have.
Speaker 2: And since Clayton's no longer with the team, I'll be the guy checking off the boxes of Freddie Freeman's career the next four years.
Speaker 6: Okay, I like that I was doing it for Clayton, so I need someone to do it for me. Now.
Speaker 3: Can I be the counter still?
Speaker 6: You can be the counter, all right, Just don't tell me every day though.
Speaker 2: Great to see you out here, Freddie. Thanks a lot for the time. You know how much Los Angeles loves you. And keep it going, mister consistent.
Speaker 6: I appreciate. Thank you, David very much. See you guys soon, fans.
Speaker 2: All right, there is Freddie Freeman. He's looking forward to a three pede and that was very interesting and emphatic what he just said that he wants to play four more years and he wants to play all of them in a Dodger uniform. And I'm not just being La Dodger Homer. There is an argument to be made that, yes, the first part of Freddie Free's career he did play, and he will play more years with the Braves than with the Dodgers. Even if Freddie plays four more years in LA. He played his first twelve years with the Braves, came up through their organization, and certainly is a guy that everybody in Atlanta still loves. But he has two major signature moments with the Dodgers in the World Series that walk off Grand Slam in Game one of twenty four's World Series. World Series MVP with the Dodgers in twenty four and then last year that walk off home run in Game three and eighteen inning walk off home run. Those are two significant signature moments, and especially the walk off grand Slam that's going down in baseball history as one of the most dramatic, greatest home runs in World Series history, alongside Kirk Gibson's home run in Game one of the eighty eight World Series. So you know, there is an argument to be made, and maybe Freddy Freeman is one of those guys that goes in without a logo on his hat. But I would find it very hard that Freddy Freeman would not have in LA on his cap in Cooperstown if he finishes his career with the Dodgers, and I see no reason why he wouldn't. You look at his season last year, and keep in mind he was coming off right ankle surgery, significant ankle surgery that he played through throughout the twenty four postseason. Freddy Freeman last year hit two ninety five. He had one hundred and sixty four hits. He played one hundred and forty seven games. His slugging percentage was higher last year than it was in twenty twenty four. He slugged five hundred last year, higher ops than he did in twenty twenty four. So it's not like this guy is slowing down. He is the model of consistency, and he also is a guy that is reliable. What makes Freddy Freeman so good and elite is not only how good he is when he plays, but the fact that he does play. A lot of guys are good, but they're not reliable, They're not available. Freddie Freeman is available one hundred and forty seven games and that's coming with a bad ankle to start the year, one hundred and forty seven games and twenty twenty four with a bad ankle the second half of the year. And you look at his career totals, I kind of feel like Freddy Freeman and maybe Jose Altuve are the last two guys for a while that we could talk about that have a chance for three thousand career hits. Freddie Freeman, as he steps into the batters box on opening dead Dodger Stadium, is at two thousand, four hundred and thirty one hits. If he plays the next four years to forty years old. All he needs to do is basically average one hundred and forty three hits for the final four years of his career to achieve three thousand career hits. That is very attainable. And you know what else matters to Freddy Freeman. Tim never mentioned this on the broadcast over the weekend, having that three at the front of his batting average at the end of the year. Well, Freddy Freeman right now, as we stand, after sixteen seasons in the big leagues, is exactly a three hundred hitter with an ops of eight ninety seven. It's not a question of if he's a Hall of Famer, it's a question of what hat is he going to wear in the Hall of Fame at this point in time. So, you know, he's he's climbing that doubles list. He's not going to be the all times doubles leader, but he certainly is going to be, I feel like, in the top ten of doubles leaders when it's all said and done. So, you know, when Freddy Freeman first came here, you could feel that he still wasn't one hundred percent all in with the Dodgers, but after he had that road trip to Atlanta and then Denver, I think he understood it was time to close the chapter on his Braves career and just get fully invested with the Dodgers. And ever since then he has not looked back. And he's one of the great guys you will ever meet. I mean, Freddy Freeman is that guy. And he represents his family well, he represents himself well, and he represents the Dodgers well, and he represents major League Baseball really well. Freddie Freeman is an incredible ambassador for the game and I look forward to celebrating three thousand hits with him four years from now in a Dodger uniform. He should not be in any other uniform the rest of his career. All Right, that'll do it for us on Dodger Talk. We did have Miguel Rojas on the pregame show earlier today. We'll share that conversation with you tomorrow, and Chase Utley is going to join us, a guy that certainly had an incredible career. Chase Sutley will join us tomorrow night at seven point thirty. He's been back in camp and he's back part of the Dodgers front office with Andrew Friedman as one of his uh, how do they say it's special assistance, but he certainly has a lot to offer. So Chase Suttley will join us tomorrow night at seven thirty. In case you missed any of this show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you can stream all the Dodger games if you're in the LA area on the iHeartRadio app and five seventy LA Sports Dodger Talk on the iHeartRadio app. Make it a preset you won't miss anything, all right. Thanks to Ronnie Foscio for all his help, and thanks to you for listening. We'll be back with you tomorrow night at seven o'clock with Chase Suttley. Have a great rest of your night.
Speaker 3: See you