Speaker 1: Mac. I think we have a appall a ge after our award winning Hall Hall of Fame. A couple names that were left off. One that I threw at you on the end of the week. I was like, hey, we forgot Taylor Hall. You immediately said doesn't deserve to be in there. That's fine, but a mention would have been nice. Sure, once again, these are halls to get into the Hall of Fame, halls to get into the Hall Hall of Fame, the Hall Hall, Hall, Hall of Fame, the Hall Hall, Hallmark, apology to Hallmark Hallmarks should be in the Hall of Fame. You know what, we didn't think it through.
Speaker 2: Cool. Let me let me be the first to apologize to.
Speaker 1: All the apologize alcoholics, Alcoholics, huh, chocoholics, hallics in general, all hollics should have gotten in to the Hall Hall of Fame, or you could have went through and like weed it out.
Speaker 2: No, no, I'm saying, fans of the Hall Hall of Fame are alcoholics. Oh shit, That's what I'm calling them.
Speaker 1: And you thought about this since last Thursday when we.
Speaker 2: I thought about this an hour ago and I saw your opener.
Speaker 1: So you would like to apologize.
Speaker 2: I'd like to apologize to the alcoholics.
Speaker 1: And then one that was pointed out to us on social media and should have been a first ballot. He'll be top of the board next year when we do our Hall Hall of Fame second class, second class. Scott Hall, Zormon.
Speaker 2: Razor ramone should have been on the the opening ballot. That's an oversight in our part.
Speaker 1: Scott Hall, Hallmark. Those are two that are going to be in on the second So you can start getting your you can start planning your trip now for year two of the Hall Hall of Fame. One Goo three, Yeah, job three, King of Queen Marl Street Entertainment. I'm good and I'm mad he or the Mac and Gooop program. I swear it gets better. A.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying no.
Speaker 1: You know what, Well, the content that we consumed I enjoyed. I'm not sure if the content of this show gets much better.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, good point about that. Number two A kickflip A Christ's three sixty. Christ Air, that's some messing everything up, christ Air. Off of your point about the content that you enjoyed. I'm curious people's receptions this. I know what the online scores say. I'm curious what the online reception is to people that we respect and our listeners go. Because I haven't seen like any tweets about this show, which has been a little weird.
Speaker 1: I'm also curious and maybe they fudge numbers, but Spider Noir is number one, the number one show at least on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because it's the only new show on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 1: That doesn't mean shit.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, today we are discussing Spider Noir. This hit Amazon Prime on May twenty fifth. It dropped all eight episodes, which I love. That's how I prefer to consume all of my media shows. Whatever it is. Uhu. This is a TV fourteen action adventure, crime, drama, fantasy, mystery and sci fi subgenres of period drama and.
Speaker 1: Super You can only watch it once a month.
Speaker 2: I will say for being a serious titled Spider Noir, in having a private investigator be your titular character, there really wasn't much of an investigator or mystery here. It was all out front.
Speaker 1: But he's a private dick. It's a private cos a private cock. He's able to so because of his you know, he's dipping his toes all over the place. He doesn't need to do a ton of problem solving. He has the answers already.
Speaker 2: Well, I I'd say, right off the top here goo not to show my hand. But I think my biggest disappointment with this show is there was no real you know, investigation mystery at its core. It just was it's just real, like interesting.
Speaker 1: There was a little bit when it comes to who has the powers, how they got them, who did it to them.
Speaker 2: All sudden, that was a minor thing.
Speaker 1: It really wasn't about you know, who the rat is, but it's about how to cover up the rat, which I did enjoy.
Speaker 2: It really just became a character study and.
Speaker 1: I like that though.
Speaker 2: And in you know, round it out for the audience who Ben Riley is or the as Yeah, which is that a spoiler? We'll save that.
Speaker 1: Also, May I ask you this you just mentioned tipping your hand, showing your hand. Can we find a way to have like the pocket like how it shows what the people have in their hand, where the audience can see what's in your hand. But I can't explain yourself the World Series of Poker that what you rage?
Speaker 2: Do you want the pocket camp?
Speaker 1: I want the pocket gam for the World Series of Poker.
Speaker 2: You didn't mention the word poker or card once when describing that.
Speaker 1: That was very abusive, also curious. I'm not telling you to buy it. You can buy it if you want, all right, I want you to get those lizard glasses that whats his name had? Who was it?
Speaker 2: Like the uh chrockle of reddick glasses like the oak leaves from the early was.
Speaker 1: The poker player who had the lizard? Oh you're talking.
Speaker 2: About Greg Ramer? Thank you Greg Ramer with the circular little lizard eye glasses. Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I used to go and play table cards, that's what we call Foxwoods and Mohegan, I would always dress as a nerd because no one would ever suspect the nerd at being good at cards.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The numbers guy would never know numbers.
Speaker 1: That I always seemed to be counting in the corner.
Speaker 2: Good Spider Noir, speaking of numbers, was eight episodes that total three hundred and sixty nine very nice minutes, averaged about forty six minutes per episode. I thought the episode length was very good. Wasn't too short, It wasn't too long.
Speaker 1: Also the amount of episodes also good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was pretty good. Crisp so one of a breeze. I do think we could have worked in a little more substance to our story. And that's sort of what I'm talking about with.
Speaker 1: The lack of like you have more problem solved and you have more crime solve.
Speaker 2: A little more.
Speaker 1: Yeah he's a police officer though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's sort of like if you're gonna sell us on the noir themes, like the crime drama, it lacked it a little bit. It was more character heavy than it was story.
Speaker 1: I think the noir of it was really more just to push the black and white of it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I would argue was the second best version to watch this show too.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna fight you with this.
Speaker 2: It really lacked in the noir thing.
Speaker 1: You and my wife. I'm gonna fight you both on this.
Speaker 2: Goose Spider Noir on Roddy T's ninety two percent from the critics, ninety three percent from the audience, So everyone's watching this and liking it. A seventy two on Metacritic, pretty strong score. So in general, this show is being praised, But once again, I do find it weird, you know, when it comes to even like The Boys or any other comic books thing we watch. It dominates media, YouTube, videos for two three four weeks a month. There's been a surprising lack of media content around it.
Speaker 1: That's because look, it is a spider Man, but not really.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, they had the tiptoe around it. And it feels like it's lack like these scores for example. I don't know how to compare it to anything else, but like a Marvel movie, Baseline is gonna make one hundred and fifty to two hundred million opening weekend. Right. This feels like if it was in the box office, it would have had a man do and grogu like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no experience, it would have money into it with like we have a smaller production budget and we're expecting less.
Speaker 2: Well, it had a four hundred million dollar production budget.
Speaker 1: Whatever I just said, I edited that right out of there.
Speaker 2: I think it was like two or three times higher. It's four hundred million dollars on this I think. I thought that's what I read credits, That's what I read.
Speaker 1: I like how it looked.
Speaker 2: It looks good, yeah, especially in color.
Speaker 1: Also, let's throw this out there, Amazon, they got money to spend. Who gets sure to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they sure do. I'm googling it right now. Goo, what do you got a no budget. Yeah, costs proximately four hundred million dollars for this season.
Speaker 1: How do they expect to make that back? What was the ROI don't know. No, No, So I do want Prime to do what Apple TV does. Is that what it's called Apple streaming, Apple TV plus, Apple TV plus. I want them to start doing what they do where the Apple Channel and Amazon Prime. That's like an add on to what they're already like making their money on.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what Prime is. You get Prime with Amazon prop.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying is like, go into these not expecting to like, don't expect this show to raise your app just make it and make it good.
Speaker 2: You have described the essence of Prime this whole time.
Speaker 1: I know that. But what I'm trying to say, though, is that Apple TV plus whatever it's called, loses billions of dollars every year on what they're putting out. But they're putting out really good quality things. But they know that they're not making their money off of that. It's just a fun little thing. That's what I want Prime to do.
Speaker 2: Sure. Sure. Spider Noir was created for television by orin Uziel. I hope I'm saying his name correctly, Oran Uziel. He was the writer on twenty two Jump Street, The Cloverfield Paradox, Mortal Kombat, and The Lost City. So he's had a pretty successful fifteen or seventy fast his upcoming projects if you liked everything he's done or most I like it. Yeah, he's writing the Fast Forever movie, the Pokemon Detective Pikachu sequel, and the Clue movie. That is an interesting triumph of movies.
Speaker 1: That is interesting, and I think half of those get made possibly, so.
Speaker 2: We'll get one and a half of those three movies. Synopsis of Spider Noir. Ben Riley, a seasoned, down on his luck private investigator a gunshoe in nineteen thirties New York, is forced to grapple with his past life following a deeply personal tragedy as the city's one and only superhero. This show stars Nicholas Cage as the one and only superhero Ben Riley aka of the Spider, notably not called spider Man because they're not allowed to call him spider Man. The sponsor, they're not allowed to use the name Peter Parker, which we'll get.
Speaker 1: Oh, by the way, I did some research. We talked last week about Like, why don't we call them dix anymore? Around the nineteen fifties, when people started to use dick as slang for penis went out of fashion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that makes sense, That makes sense.
Speaker 1: You want to hear some other pulp and classic slang for detectives? Sure, gum shoes. I've already said that one private I PI dick, private dick, Seamus interesting hawkshaw?
Speaker 2: Never heard of that?
Speaker 1: Hawkshaw is an old fashioned term for an incredibly sharp and observant detective. I guess you could say that about me when looking into these shows and movies moreel Hawkshaw Goo?
Speaker 2: What are your favorites? Lamar and Morris plays Robbie Robertson here a reporter Lee John Lee as Cat Hardy, who is essentially a variation of Felicia Hardy. You know they call her that cat Hardy black Cat for a reason. We last saw her in Sinners. She was pretty great in Sinners, very frustrating in Sinners. Karen Rodriguez is Janet Ruiz. She's the one that works with Ben into the private eye business. Abraham Papoola What a name? Papula as Lonnie Lincoln aka Tombstone that's one of our villains we see this season. Jack Houston as Flip Marco aka Sandman, another villain. And it's interesting too that they can't use Spider Man and Peter Parker but they can use some of his villains.
Speaker 1: But no, so I feel like, yes, it says sand Man, but the way it's pronouncing the show, it is sand Man. They have separated it. It is no longer sand Man.
Speaker 2: Andrew Lewis Caldwell as dirk Leyden Lighten aka Mega Watt, which is not a villain.
Speaker 1: I've ever heard of Electro. It's not an electron. Call him Electro. Yeah, it's not on Electro.
Speaker 2: Brendan Gleeson as like the kingpin of the show Gangs.
Speaker 1: So you know what, I loved him. I love a good iron silvermin.
Speaker 2: He was great.
Speaker 1: I love a good Irish Brogue and I'm gonna try and not do it during this podcast, but for four straight days I was going back and forth with Irish Brogue and Nicholas Cage Broke. To my wife, I'm sure she was having a great time.
Speaker 2: Silver Main gu the character that Brendan Gleason is playing, I've never heard of before. But just your classic gangster type characters.
Speaker 1: Didn't They got it from Guccie Main. He has a main, right, he's not a man.
Speaker 2: Silvermin's top two henchmen, Perry and Pudge, are played by Scott MacArthur and Joe Massingill.
Speaker 1: One of those fellas is from Skull the Oh. I wish they called them Balkan Skull or Bebop and rock Steady.
Speaker 2: You would you would recognize Scott MacArthur more than yes.
Speaker 1: Scott MacArthur, I think is in the basketball show with I Keep forgetting her name, Goldie Han's daughter, Kate Hudson. Kate Hudson, Ollie Hudson's sister.
Speaker 2: Also in this show, Goo Michael Kostroff as Mayor Alfred Morris lucas hass Is Winston. That's like the top right hand man for Silver Maine. And then Carrie Christopher as Frankie. That's the little kid that just pops up a couple times. Uh notably here, Goo Randall Ogisby Oglesby plays Chief McNamara, So I had to shot your name. Yeah, that's that's my name. And then Jack mckssel plays Addison. That's the firearm guy that we see in the first couple.
Speaker 1: I think my biggest issue with the names here is Lucas hass as Winston because he shares the screen a lot with Lamar and Morris, who famously played a character named Winston. I got confused a couple times.
Speaker 2: Also, this firearm character was an original character created for the series, not a comic book character, which is fine. He's only exists for a couple episodes. Uh goo. Speaking of the oddities of this show, a couple things here. You might be wondering why the fuck this is on Sony not Disney Plus. Well, as we all know, Sony owns the rights to Spider I wasn't confused. Many of the characters are you talking about the audience? Are me the audience? But there are several Spider Man shows on Disney Plus skew and ones that have been created in the last decade, So it is a little bizarre that this one gets bumped out to Amazon. And that's because Sony Pictures Television has an exclusive global distribution and development deal with Amazon MGM Studios. So because Onny owns the cinematic rights to the Spider Man character, they license their live action spin offs to platforms outside of Disney.
Speaker 1: And MGM Studio. They love old stuff, so this is a right up the rally.
Speaker 2: I suppose Disney could have bought this, but they would have been essentially bidding against themselves.
Speaker 1: So I think they also try to not buy things that is not in their universe or does not fold into universe more than they already are, because we're already super confused. Like get this. They have a character named Winston who shares a screen with an actor who played someone named Winston.
Speaker 2: Adding to the confusion of this all. Most of us were first introduced to Spider Noir in Spider Man, the Spider Verse movies, the two movies we've seen him in. This is not the same character, not as that Spider Noir in the Spider Verse movies. This character is merely inspired by that character.
Speaker 1: So what they told us is this is the same character. Not.
Speaker 2: We open the very first shot, the very versa line of dialogue is someone once asked me what universe just was, which implies it is tied in to the multiverse. But this isn't the Spider Noir we know. And we also get gou As I mentioned, he's not Peter Parker, He's named Ben Riley, Traditionally, Spider and Noir is a Peter Parker variant. He's also called the Spider and not spider Man because they can't do that.
Speaker 1: It's a lot like Gotham. Gotham couldn't use certain words or characters.
Speaker 2: And the middle note here? Should I save that for spoilers?
Speaker 1: What's your middle note? Now? Save it for spoilers?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Say it for spoilers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not really a spoiler.
Speaker 1: So there's a couple of spoiler free notes that I would like to share. First and foremost cigarettes are cool.
Speaker 2: Cigarettes are cool in the nineteen.
Speaker 1: Thirties, watching shows like this, watching mad Men, say to myself, maybe we've regressed, because people back then look a lot cooler.
Speaker 2: Apparently the show is set roughly in nineteen thirty three as well, so it's the Great Depression. People are drinking and smoking away their sorrows, and I think that's very fritt.
Speaker 1: Let's get to the main argument that I think people have had when discussing this show and how to watch, and that is you have two options.
Speaker 2: And when you click on the show before the show starts, it gives you the two options that you could select, and it gives you ten seconds.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get into that second. I'm gonna get into that in one second as well. So black and white, and then it's true hue color correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true hue color or black and white.
Speaker 1: Okay. So first off, on my old ass TV in my bedroom, the app for this did not even give me the option, and it just started playing it in color. Okay, And for the first three episodes, I spent most of the time on my phone trying to figure out how to put it in black and white?
Speaker 2: Was your TV not good enough for it?
Speaker 1: It's not good enough? And then pretty much an it's like every five to ten minutes, i'd pause it and go back and like, I must be doing something wrong here. I got to put this in black and white. And my wife's like, I don't want to watch it in black and white, and I'm like, you don't understand. This is shot to be seen in black and white. She's like, you don't know that, and I'm like, I this is what I fucking do. I read stupid shit about stupid shows. You can also tell by the lighting on the show by the makeup. The makeup is caked on to glisten in that black and white camera and seeing Nicholas Cage's glistening face and color, I couldn't do it anymore. I needed it in black and white, and by episode four I realized that if I went and got an old Roku stick and I plug that in, that would work. Once that starts working, my wife's like, I think we should just watch it in color, and because I was so passionate about it, she stopped caring, so he watched it in black and white.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, listen.
Speaker 1: It was my review of the show.
Speaker 2: It was created this the whole noir thing, the whole theme of the character is based around this black and white theme. And it looks good in black and white, like it certainly does. I was astonished by how much better it looked at it does. Expecting it to look awkward and weird, it looks great.
Speaker 1: So I will look credit for in color. It looks like when you take an old episode of I Love Lucy and you're like, hey, the chocolate factory thing that's in color, Now go and check that out. It looks like when you add the color after So it did have that cool look to it, but having watched both black and white, I think stood out way more as better.
Speaker 2: Oh, I I'm the opposite. Having watched both, I think that this show shines more and it's superhero moments, the Powers moments with the color. Because your three bags here, Goo, you have Megawatt, Tombstone, and Sandman. It was really hard to like see their abilities and watch them do stuff in the black.
Speaker 1: But I think that adds to the appeal of it, and it adds to the kish of it, and it adds to it's supposed to look kind of awkward and bad like it would have been shot in the nineteen thirties. I totally agree. That's what I liked about is that it kind of looked a little wonky, and I thought that was a part of the appeal.
Speaker 2: I just think it looks a lot better in color, not that it looks bad in black and white. It looks good. I think it just looks a lot better in color.
Speaker 1: I would say, just check out Lamour and Morris's first scene just to know what his suit looks like.
Speaker 2: But they like they the colors look great. Kuo. That's I didn't think I'd ever come away with this takeaway from the show, but that's we're both most passionate about this over anything else in the show.
Speaker 1: Lamour and Morris skinned the snick couch and made a suit out of it. Get that in, Take that in, but then swap it over to black and white, and we're all said, I think there.
Speaker 2: Was only like three or four shots in the whole season that really really stood out in black and white. The other ninety percent of the show looked much better in color. This show clearly designed to be like a crime detective investigation mystery, wasn't that because the audience knows everything. The audience knows more than the main characters, and that's obviously a choice. I think it's bad writing, though in this instance, I think it's bad writing. I think if we had been surprised a couple of times, that would have been pretty great. There's really there's a couple of small reveals in this show that really just round out a couple of characters. But there's no like Aha, which I think in a noir, a crime, a drama, you need something like that, and it's missing that.
Speaker 1: I think my biggest issue with the show that might take some dogs away is and I'm not sure how you fix this, because you would need a time machine because I want Nicholas Cage in this character. Yeah, I just wish he was ten to fifteen years younger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nicholas Cage is sixty two years old old. Goo uh. First of all, this is the first episodic TV series for Nick Cage. He discussed how Breaking Battings inspired him at sixty two years old. He looks fifty five, sixty years old.
Speaker 1: He looks old.
Speaker 2: He needed to look about forty for a character that's probably about thirty five. So it's a little miscast in that and that in that sense, the.
Speaker 1: One thing that you can say is that people back then looked like trash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe sure.
Speaker 1: You can push that. He's smoking out on a lot of cigarettes. They drink a lot too, drink a lot of brown liquor.
Speaker 2: He looks a lot older than his supposed contemporaries, the other people that get powers and all be one.
Speaker 1: And I'm not trying We're not trying to pile on the man. But so even if you just went back, was it five years four years to the Unbearable Weight? Where if you just had him five years ago, because he's starting to have Remember in The Irishman, one of our issues was when they deaged Robert de Niro, but he still has the old man slump on his back. I'm trying to say it as I'm trying to say as politely as possible, but like you are certain to have the old man hump, where even if it was just five years ago, I feel like his posture was a little bit better.
Speaker 2: And in that respect too, choosing Nicholas Cage, who's a pretty tall fella. Whoever wore the Spider no War costume not tall, So there was a little bit of like a weird thing where Nicholas Cage tall, Spider Noir not tall.
Speaker 1: It's because the outfit, the costume it was. It was tight, super tight. He was wearing a corset. Yeah, yeah, sure, what else do I have here? Oh? So, what I like about it as well is that it's a pretty straightforward nineteen thirties detective crime noir and then out of nowhere randomly, maybe once or twice per episode, especially once we get like three episodes in. Nicholas Cage does like little Nicholas Cage things, and I'm questioning, I'm curious if they make it a little bit weirder, if they let Cage Cage out more, would that have been better or do we think it would have taken away from the show Slash, It wouldn't have made those cageisms as special as when he just becomes a spider.
Speaker 2: To your point, I think this show gets bogged down a little bit with trying to explain how it's a spider Man's show, and in the way of that is not allowing Nick Cage to do Nick Cage stuff until episode three or four. So it is at its best when he's going full cage. You want him doing it more, though I don't know, because I wanted better writing. I wanted a little bit better of a story here, which also maybe would have prevented the zaniness of Cage. But in the few moments that it comes out, it is great. And like the scene where he's like drunk and fighting is the best scene in.
Speaker 1: This Every once in a while he does this thing, either physically or the way that he delivers a line, or like this like nonchalant cage way about him, and it's, like I said, it's few and far between, but it's every time he does it, it's almost laugh out loud.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if they did it more, would it take away from the couple of times that he did it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the other thing here too, And I get it sort of works in that it's like a nineteen thirties sort of thing, but there's only two characters acting that way, Mega Watt and Cage. Those are the only two guys that are like on that same waveleg. Everyone else is not really doing No.
Speaker 1: They are in the fact that they are.
Speaker 2: Everyone else is playing it pretty strict.
Speaker 1: No, they're talking at a certain speed that you would see in movies from that time. So Lamar and Morris isn't exactly doing that man man, but he's talking a lot faster.
Speaker 2: Okay, But what I'm saying is everyone else is playing it straightforward. In Cage and what's his face, Andrew Lewis Caldwell are playing They're they're operating on a different plane, which kind of works because it's the bigger bad and the big good, but it's it's a little jarring at times.
Speaker 1: I also think that Kat was speaking slower and breathier because that is what Hollywood actress at the time would present. Fully agree, But so when you presenting.
Speaker 2: When you have Cage caging it and you have Megawatt going more folk cagean Cage You're like, all right, something's gonna get it.
Speaker 1: And then at one point Lamor is actually doing Cage. Also, I do want to say that I had to watch the show with subtitles.
Speaker 2: I did not need that because there.
Speaker 1: Was at some points where and it was Cage's dialogue was kind of mumbling through into other stuff.
Speaker 2: No, I think at this point these days, I just try to use context clues. I can't do the sub the subtitles.
Speaker 1: I don't even watch the show. I just put my binoculars on and watch the words. What else do we have here? Was that it? For my notes?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: One more time, I want to say, cigarettes are cool?
Speaker 2: Cigarettes are cool?
Speaker 1: Do we have to put some depression war one Hooverville's.
Speaker 2: Oh I liked go especially you get to see this in color, the webs that Ben Riley shoots a certain character to them that you lose in the black and well, get this that you get in the color.
Speaker 1: Hear me out. So the webs are black, right.
Speaker 2: No, they're like a dirty gray.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dirty gray. You can see that in black and white.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't have the same texture as you're doing.
Speaker 1: Pretty similar, but that registers in black and white.
Speaker 2: No, I know, But you don't you miss the texture that you get in the true hue. And it's also a n nice little thing because it fits with the character as opposed to like the bright way it looks filthy with regularly it does looks gross.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Max, so we gets two our nonagone. Sure sure, sure fun factor. I had a good amount of fun watching this style of television. Uh. They really went all out with the look, and I loved the little pieces of Nick cage that we got along the way. And he's having a blast.
Speaker 2: I'll say this. Coming into the show, I expected certain things and it mostly hit those marks, but it didn't really exceed them. It didn't go above and beyond like I was hoping it to be the most fun and it was just decently.
Speaker 1: Fun because I was also expecting almost nothing out of the action in this show, and I thought it was okay.
Speaker 2: There was two or three very good fight scenes.
Speaker 1: Yes, satisfactor. Like you said, the solving of crimes wasn't really there. But I do like where we ended at the end of the year, end of the episodes.
Speaker 2: I agree. There's there's also a weird parallel to draw here between what we've seen from the Daredevil series. It's a lot of similar thematics in what Ben Riley and Matt Murdock have had to sort of get to. This wasn't that satisfying, But I'm also not annoyed or upset by anything, if that makes sense. Like I didn't have the highest of expectations, but I was hoping that maybe it would blow my expectations out of the water.
Speaker 1: I also love that the characters still had this like naivete about Ben Riley being friends with the Spider the entire time. Hey tell him, Miss tell him this borometer. I wasn't bored at all.
Speaker 2: A little bit those first those first two or three episodes.
Speaker 1: It's a little boring. It's a little boring Halloween. Will this show wayne over time? I'm curious. Are they going to do a season two?
Speaker 2: I don't know. That's a good question. To that point, I think I like this show more than I did two days ago. The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm seeing other people talk about it, I think I like it a little bit more than I did what I binged it, which is why I love binging, because you have it it's like a movie. You get to sit with it. You get to think about it instead of having to wait two and a half months to maybe be disappointed.
Speaker 1: Ah, Quater World. Is this better or worse than the nineteen ninety five classic water World? I think it is.
Speaker 2: It is better.
Speaker 1: When life gives you Plemings. You take Jesse and you squeeze him real fucking tight and you get all those juices out of him. Who do you believe gave a Plemmens like performance and not a lot of time on screen.
Speaker 2: Mac So that's an interesting one because there's a lot of meaningful characters in this show, but none of them particularly dominate the show other than Nick Cage and Legion, Lee and I Guess a little more and Morris. That's the three. Cara Rodriguez Janet Room was really good, but it's hard to not come away loving Andrew Lewis Caldwell as Megawatt. He's just preposterous every time.
Speaker 1: I can see either loving or hating him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, having an opinion either way, because he's doing what you thought a lot of the characters would be doing, but it's just him in Nick Cage's doing.
Speaker 1: It, Max credit Union, who are you giving credit too?
Speaker 2: I got to give credit to Brendan Gleeson a Silver Maine. I made this work and I thought he was gonna be as zany as you know Megawatt, But he has this cool, calm, old school gangster thing that you beat, you buy into, you believe, and he's honestly as much as we love Cage doing Cage stuff, Mega Wat's being crazy, Brendan Gleeson is what makes the show go.
Speaker 1: I also want to give the character credit. He has a cane and doesn't necessarily need it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a weapon.
Speaker 1: Pantstown City Excite bike Mania. What got you going from this show?
Speaker 2: First of all, the opening shot of the web slinging in New York City was great. There's a couple of great fight scenes in this series. I don't know if it ever went full pants tent, but it tried. It tried a couple of times.
Speaker 1: I would say the bar fight and then there's a.
Speaker 2: Bar fight's my favorite scene from Well.
Speaker 1: There's one piece of action from the final episode that and once again, the action in general, I was not expecting anything from so I think just my low expectations going into it made me appreciate it more.
Speaker 2: Sure, I understand that hot.
Speaker 1: Dog Man, hot Dog man hot dog can Nicholas Kate loves do dogs on this show. He loves hot dogs.
Speaker 2: Better than a what does he say than a hot dog at the ballpark?
Speaker 1: Would you rather have a hot dog at the ballpark or a roast beef at a thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? There you go.
Speaker 1: Well what that means is sometimes the simpler things in life are better than getting albougie.
Speaker 2: Yeah there you go.
Speaker 1: So Mac, I really enjoyed this show. I love the black and white look of it. I didn't mind h No, I didn't really care for when I did watch in the true hue, I did it. I appreciate them going for it though. I appreciate them giving me both options, and with the color option, not just giving us like normal looking. They really made it pop. I really liked the cast. I liked how everyone played their characters. I thought that the episode lengths were great. I thought the pacing was great. I really appreciate everyone here diving full out into what the aesthetic of this show is, eating ketchup sandwiches, orange suits, the daily bugle stuff I thought was really really fun. But more than anything is I thought Nicholas Cage, while I would have liked him five to ten to fifteen years younger. Once again, he carries this show and he's having a good time. I'm having a good time. Thirty five hot dogs. I don't think this is quite a nine out of ten. It's a tick below. But I thought what they gave us. I'm not sure if I necessarily need a season two. I would absolutely watch a season two. But I had a really fun time with this.
Speaker 2: I knew you would. I figured you would. I was hoping I was gonna have a good time as you did. I had a solid time like it. It does a lot of things well. It does most things well. The characters, the casting was great, The acting is great. However, I like the story sucks. I like the stories. It's not very good.
Speaker 1: It's simple, I want to hear me again. Simple.
Speaker 2: I almost needed more of the World War One stuff and less of the current time stuff.
Speaker 1: Now, oh, I all spoilers. Put that in spoilers.
Speaker 2: I also needed just a little more punch as to the villain, because you're almost you're almost rooting for Gleason. He's so good a silver man. You're like, you know, you're not really like, uh, what's your name? Kat? Hardy is almost it's more of a villain than anyone else, is she? I don't know. It's a good question.
Speaker 1: I think forty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd guess forty ish. I had fun with the characters. I had a decent amount of fun with the season. I wish the story was a lot better. So you you were like smacked out between forty plus B plus A minus. I was thinking C plus B minus, So I'll give it thirty one hot dogs, which when I finished this season, like three or four days ago, I was thinking like twenty nine to thirty. So I've come up a little bit. I could see myself getting to thirty two like baseline good. I just wish I expected about what we got, but I was hoping for more, and I'm okay, I'd be happy if they made a season two. They did lay the groundwork for some pretty compelling characters. I just wanted a little bit more out of this.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine being her and he's just sitting there, Yeah, I have this one cop and then another cop is dirty. I can think and make you a drink, don't worry about it, And she just says to herself, I want to kiss this man.
Speaker 2: Spilers, spoilers, spilers, spoilers so good. Yes, My favorite scene in the whole series, the whole season, outside of the drunk bar fight, is when he finally reveals to Uh it's a Janet, that he's the Spider and she's like, yeah, I know, I know you montage like the thirteen times that he's told her when he was hammered that that was the more stuff that they do do more in the second half of the season. I wanted more of that fun playing around in that arena than what we got because when we were harping on the Cat and Flint stuff, it was just like, all right, yeah, I get here for this.
Speaker 1: The issue with Cat she is a rat and pretty much everything that she does on this show is so telegraphed. Yeah, I'm gonna run away with you. We know you're not. Yeah, when she's sitting in the window, You're like, I bet she's gonna jump out of the window.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When Oh, by the way, I did like the Nicholas Cage scheme. Nicholas Cage wrote this, I'm assuming the scheme of putting the red dots on the money. Yeah, and he got the uh he got the right hand man killed.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That was when I was like, fuck, I like that.
Speaker 2: That was good.
Speaker 1: I like that a lot.
Speaker 2: So the two biggest reveals we get in this series is that Ben's fiance Ruby was murdered by her ex husband, who Ben basically put in jail put away, and he missed saving her because he's a drug astle. Uh So he lives with this guilt. He gave up this spider mantle because he was living with all this guilt and the loss of Ruby. And I felt like, personally, none of that hit. It was just like, because.
Speaker 1: You are a responsible person who never lets anyone die.
Speaker 2: No, it just it's just I wish maybe if they had established Ruby a little bit or we had like she was just like.
Speaker 1: Well to it. And then she she calls him a funny word in his mind? What did she call him? Like, Oh, what do you do in your big wil It was a nineteen thirty slang word. Oh you know what I did like is when he got the suit back.
Speaker 2: Yep, that was good. When he pretends to be the janitor, Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, I wish. I wish they showed some kind of a sexual scene between that wife and husband.
Speaker 2: I thought that was Aya Cash. By the way, right away, she has an.
Speaker 1: Aya cash feel, but she's really annoyed by the husband, So like, that's why I would have I would have loved to have seen something of like he's a bit like make love.
Speaker 2: When they cut back to that couple outside watching the fight, that was a good scene.
Speaker 1: But I'm thinking he's one of those guys who was like it's in.
Speaker 2: Good We get to reveal that are four or five six powered people that we're dealing with in this season all got their powers from the same POW camp in France where the Germans were test running experiments on POW's with animals in sex.
Speaker 1: So now I'm picturing that fella going up to Spider new Arm, like, Spider, do you think you can have sex with my wife? You want me to anger? Why if while you watch me man spider cuck situation, the Spider cuck situation. She's definitely into him though, Oh for sure, that's why they should have had a cuck scene in this.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The biggest reveal take away a hot dog.
Speaker 2: In this season comes in what episode six where you get the reveal that they were all in that all POW's that five?
Speaker 1: I think five because then six was the operation scene, right.
Speaker 2: And so I I really liked operating in that realm. That was I think when the when the season was at its best, and then by the finale, to your point, everything's very telegraphed, you know exactly how it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: A wonderful jump scare, a wonderful little surprise when he pulls the blanket up and you think like, oh, this guy is just he's sitting in a bed, he's diseased, and it's pretty much this mutant spider with a half man face. Yeah, that's like in Breaking Bad when you think that he's fine and he turns and he's missing half his face. They showed the rest of the face and the body and I jumped them like, oh that's disgusting. Holy lord.
Speaker 2: I you know, it's a small it's a good little tie in, you know, but that was like the big mystery and investigation of the season. And it's over halfway through the season, and so from there we're just really dealing with Kat trying to save Flint, and it just lost steam from me like it had picked up. We were riding the high, and the last couple of episodes just really not crumble. It's just a lot less enjoyable than the middle of the season. So that's that's, honestly my biggest gripe, the story not being great because of that.
Speaker 1: Let's get into mac sack and mack Sack could be anything. It could be a boat. Jeffrey, I've noticed recently that eleven, the number eleven is all it's all over the place. Okay, I don't know if you knew this, but uh, Jalen Brunson, New York Knicks, NBA Finals, he weres number eleven. I googled this earlier and soccer eleven players on the field, that REIFA is coming to Boston football eleven. I said to myself, eleven, you're just tossing more numbers at me right now. I said to myself, what better time than right now not to do a top ten, a blind top ten ranking, because that's old. That's shit. Let's crank this to eleven. I'm gonna throw eleven number eleven's at you, eleven and then you blind rank them. Oh shit, all right, are you ready for this?
Speaker 2: Eleven is a good sports number? Goo, I'll tell you that.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna start you off with number one. Jalen Brunson, where do you rank them?
Speaker 2: Eight?
Speaker 1: Three eleven the band, the band, three eleven eleven Edgar Martinez better than Brunt and six seven eleven, seven elevens three Apollo eleven.
Speaker 2: Was that the one that they landed?
Speaker 1: That's the moon landing in nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 2: I don't think it actually happened, though, So let's let's keep it out of the Rushmore. Let's go five for Appollo eleven. This amp goes to pretty good. Four Dante Culpepper loved Dante Culpepper. I got seven open. Let's go seven.
Speaker 1: Eleven eleven make a wish nine. Back in the year twenty oh four, wide receivers were allowed to start wearing number eleven. Players like Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams and Reggie Williams followed that up. So wide receivers wearing number eleven.
Speaker 2: I have two. I have three numbers left right, one, two and ten. Yes, okay, wide receivers being able to wear eleven. I'm gonna put that at two, four one, one. Oh great information line. Well we'll put that at ten and.
Speaker 1: Then finally your number one for best elevens nine to eleven.
Speaker 2: All right, read the route Mount Rushmore. It's a very fitting Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 1: You're a mount Rushmore of best elevens. This amp goes to Yeah, seven eleven wide receivers wearing number eleven in the NFL and at number one, your top eleven, nine to eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think you could write it any better than that, better script than Spider War.
Speaker 1: I am curious if did you just did you forget about it?
Speaker 2: Nine to eleven?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I knew you had a banger coming up. I just didn't know what it was.
Speaker 1: You're like, I'm gonna hold for number one right here, But that's Mac's favorite eleven.
Speaker 2: I always put seven eleven at number one, which still would have put nine to eleven at three. But what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: All right? So comment down below? Mac. Where can the folks find us?
Speaker 2: You can find us on Instagram and on Twitter x as at Mac and goop podcast on every other platform wherever you can find and podcasts. We are mac ampersand Goo that's Mac Shift seven Goo especially on Spotify and Apple podcasts. Get on a Apple podcast, rate review, subscribe five stars if you do that, and another timeline maybe in Ben Riley's timeline will get you a black and white T shirt from the folks.
Speaker 1: Over black and that's only everything else around right.
Speaker 2: It's Watertown Sports Where thirty four Mod Auburn Street in Watertown, Watertown Sports Wark dot com experts, screen expert, screenprinting and embroidery.
Speaker 1: Tapup dot com. Sure check us out. At the end of the week, maybe we'll do some low budget horror oo spooky spooky?
Speaker 2: Have you seen Obsession yet?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna see it in the next couple of days.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping to see it tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I would like to do that. And I think I'm going to see back rooms too.
Speaker 2: Okay, I also have It's a big week for me, goo. I have a dentist appointment in my yearly physical this week, So big week for me.
Speaker 1: Do you think you make it out alive?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. We'll see after the dentist appointment. Who you never know? You never know?
Speaker 1: In there comment down a lot. How many cavities does mac have? How did you have right now? How many feelings?
Speaker 2: I don't at least three. I haven't had one in forever. I remember getting three or four as a kid.
Speaker 1: I feel like I have three and then one of them they legit cut one of the like the tooth off and then they put a cap over it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah you got you got a crown and post following a roote. Yeah. I have one of those as well up here. So if that counts as one, I guess right? Or is that beyond?
Speaker 1: You know what? You should ask the dentist about what's that? Gold teeth?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: All gold teeth? No, not one all gold No, can't afford it. As the dentist about wooden teeth.
Speaker 2: You know what we're like, we came up five years too area because the fillings these days are just tooth colored. When we were real young, it was still metal. And then you remember if you were to chew a gum wrapper, a metal gum wrapper rapper, you would it would like hurt. What is that pain?
Speaker 1: If you were chewing a paper clip, it would hurt?
Speaker 2: Well, which I need to know the science behind that. I never understood it.
Speaker 1: Well, do our research and we'll come back on Thursday.
Speaker 2: All right, all right? I actually we had someone chime in about the THHC and the cold brew, which thank you for that information. Someone chime in about the metal on metal in the mouth.
Speaker 1: There Tuesdays are goosdays. I abus kangaroos a Tam Burton.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure. Now it's time for girls jumping on worms.