Speaker 1: This financial titan.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Money Minutes on seven hundred ww all right, we say good morning to Gina Savetti from the Bloomberg newsroom in New York City. One of the major chain pizza restaurants, Gina continues to fall behind its competitors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tom, good morning.
Speaker 1: This is Pizza Hut.
Speaker 3: Everyone seems to have their favorite when it comes to pizza. It's a very competitive business, and Pizza Hut has fallen behind. Now its owner, Young Brands is reviewing its options for the struggling chain. Pizza Hut has underperformed others as competitors turn more and more to promotions. Domino's and Papa John's both reported growth in their North American businesses and their most recent earnings reports, but Pizza Hut has reported seven straight quarterly declines. Tom.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Uber, on the other hand, firing on all cylinders, just had a strong quarter.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Recently we talked about Kroger expanding a partnership with Uber, and today we're hearing from Uber that its efforts to offer a broader range of services appears to be paying off. It seems like they deliver just about anything now and Uber just posted its strongest quarterly growth in a couple of years. Customers ordered more rides and deliveries than expected.
Speaker 1: Tom, all right, and the futures this morning, Gina.
Speaker 3: Well, they're still well into the red here. Sure looks like a lower open today. Dow futures down almost three hundred points, SMP futures down seventy, Nasdaq futures down three hundred and fifty five from Bloomberg. Gena Cervetti on News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, it's eight ten.
Speaker 2: It is election day all across this great country of ours, and of course here in Cincinnati there are twenty six individuals running for what would be nine city council seats. Eight of the nine current city council members are running for reelection, and of course it's a Mayo decision day today, where the incumbent have to have pure ball, is running against our guest who joins us now, the Republican challenger for Cincinnati Mayor, Corey Bowman. Corey, I'd imagine you got a a bright and early start today. What's your day like today?
Speaker 4: Tom? Well, first off, thank you so much for having me to you and your listeners. We are at Salem Park Rec Center this morning. We've been here since the polls open at six point thirty. I've been here with Christopher smith Man, my good friend out here running for city council, and we've seen such amazing energy out here. But we're just getting the day started.
Speaker 1: You know, I got to ask you.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, this isn't something you haven't been asked before, Corey Bowman, any Republican, not just you, any Republican.
Speaker 1: It's not just a hill.
Speaker 2: It's a mountain to climb in not only Cincinnati, but virtually every urban city in America today.
Speaker 1: Has there ever been a point in.
Speaker 2: Time as you've gone through this where you're like, man, am I beating my head against the wall at all?
Speaker 4: Well, it definitely has been an uphill climb. And you said that it's a mountain. But you know, last time I checked in the Bible, it says that we speak to mountains, we're not afraid of them. Yeah, And we love our we love our city and we are a part of Cincinnati from a business perspective, from being pastors. I'm raising my kids in the city, and this is something that we care about deeply. And when we saw what was happening the last four years specifically, we just knew we couldn't sit by, and I will be honest, at the beginning of the year, I just thought that it was going to be a statement. But the momentum this year has been unbelievable. People are waking up on both sides of the aisle and saying, we've got to vote outside of our comfort zone if we want to be able to see change in our city, and we're going to see amazing results today.
Speaker 2: What what where do you see that? I mean, what kind of what? What can you share with us? Maybe interactions with some voters and maybe they're like, hey, I've always voted Democrat, so on and so forth. I feel like things are not going the direction I want them to go. Share with us, you know, some of those interactions you've had now that we finally arrived on election day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I think what I'm hearing from the voter is that they're tired of national politics being copy and pasted into city hall. I see it as your glorified custodians. When you're there, you're making sure that the money is spent properly, You're making sure that the streets are clean, taken care of and you're making sure that the streets are safe through crime prevention. And that's not what we're seeing with the city. So when you talk to people, we don't start with I'm red, you're blue, I'm right, you're left. We start with, Hey, this is our experience in the city. What are we going to do about it? And a lot of these conclusions that we come to don't really have anything to do with the national political stage. It has to do with just caring for the citizens of Cincinnati. I've talked with Democrats, I've talked with independence like my friend Christomas Smithment that's out here with me today. I've talked with Republicans, and all of them see it as we've got to get back to the basics of taking care of our public services, our public safety, and making sure that it's not just a political stage for a higher up office.
Speaker 2: Give me an example, We'll give our listeners an example, Corey Bowman, of something that you could do if you were elected today as the next mayor of Cincinnati. What would be let let's start with crime. What would be the first or second or third things that you would do to try and write this ship because it definitely needs a new direction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you got to see it from long term solutions and short term solutions, and the long term what we're seeing on our streets right now has been the culmination of bad policies when it comes to lax judges, when it comes to understaffing with the police department, and when it comes to their hands being tied when it comes to enforcing even low level and preventative crimes. From the top down, they're seeing that from city Hall that hey, you can't really enforce this, can't really do this, and a lot of these are de escalation tactics. So from the start, you've got to start it off with we've got to increase our staffing. We've got to increase lateral hiring to make sure that our complement levels are up. We've got to make sure that our officers feel secure in doing their job and that they're going to have the full backing of city Hall. And then you've got to put pressure on the judges to be able to hold criminals accountable. Now, in the short term, we just saw a lot yesterday that Ohio State Patrol and our package was on the city streets yesterday. But that is one of only a couple days that is accepted throughout the month. We need to accept the full package from the Governor's office. Because I talked with public safety representatives, we could have easily asked for help on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of this past weekend in Cincinnati. It's a busy weekend, Halloween weekend. We have Bengals games going on. We should have had help to bring our compliment levels up to help our officers. Such help was actually accepted by the city and because that we saw shootings and crime happen at record rates throughout the weekend.
Speaker 2: You know, I got to you know this story and Scott's loan is going to have the fellow on who wishes to remain anonymous. But I know you heard this story and you probably see it all the time, because you know, you live in the area right not too far from OTR where this gentleman goes out. He wants to take some video early on Sunday morning showing some of the crimes or some of the trash, some of the debris that's left around from this privy bar. And they find a handgun, and they find a bunch of blood on the street, and you're sitting there saying to yourself, how is this going on?
Speaker 1: It seems like a.
Speaker 2: Lot recently, Corey Bowman has been about politics in the town, and yet the mayor's office has said, we never make any decisions around here based on an election or politics.
Speaker 4: Well, that's all I'm hearing from the officers. The officers that come into my coffee shop on a daily basis say that all they deal with is political decisions from the top down, and they just want to be able to do their job. Republican cops, Democrat cops, independent cops, doesn't matter. They want to just be able to do their job. Now, one thing you got to see with this is that that video of showing the debris and to show what was happening on the street. Any department that is twenty percent understaffed is going to feel like they're drowning with all the stuff that's happening in our city. So I think that needs to be the emphasis right now. It cannot just be emphasized during an election year. You're seeing a lot of promises happening right now, but where has this been for the past four years? So I'm tired of people being in city Hall and elected offices, and they only show up during election years. We've got to hit the ground running from day one to be able to help these situations become better in our city.
Speaker 2: All right, let me ask you this, how can a Republican mayor work with what is certainly going to be a slanted to the Democratic side. How much we don't know, we'll find out later today. Christopher Smitherman, as you mentioned, you're with him this morning. He's running as an independent, certainly leans a little bit to the right. But how can theoretically you as a Republican mayor work with a democratically controlled city hall.
Speaker 4: Well, one thing is I would emphasize that there, like you said, there's twenty six council candidates, and many of them are great conservative and more moderate candidates, which is exactly what we need. You know, you have Liz Keating, you have Gary Favors, when the Matthews. You have great people that are running for city council, even from the charterrights. You have Steve Gooden. We can get strong council members in I'm not intimidated by working with Democrats, to be honest with you, Sometimes I even feel like an old school seventies Democrat based on some of the things that we stand for, but a lot of the things have switched in the last years to where we've lost sight of just help helping people, and we've off side of just practical things. So whenever I have these conversations with people on both aisle, both sides of the aisle, we're actually able to have great conversations and we're able to find common ground. And I think that if we elect people that put people over politics, we're not going to have a problem working together. We're actually going to find solutions together to be able to bring our city up.
Speaker 2: Corey, want to thank you for your time. I know it's a very busy day for you, big day for you. We wish you well and thank you so much for taking a few minutes out of your morning to join us here on the Morning Show.
Speaker 5: Tom.
Speaker 4: It's an honor being on with you and your listeners. Thank you all so much, and everybody get out and vote, vote.
Speaker 1: Vote, all right.
Speaker 2: That is Corey Bowman, the Republican challenger to have tab pure ball and trying to become the next mayor of Cincinnati. Fellows were winding down on what has been a great summer. What has been a great fall. But maybe you're feeling a little run down. Maybe you're thinking, man, I'm getting older, don't sleep so much as well, productive workouts thing of the past.
Speaker 1: Maybe your sex drives a little bit low.
Speaker 2: Well, did you know that's starting in our early to mid thirties, we as men start losing about two to three percent of our testosterone production every single year. It happens gradually, and before you know it, you're not the same guy you were in your twenties or early thirties. Well, that's where Tri State Men's Health comes into play. Log onto tristatemenshealth dot com. Book an appointment. You walk in the door, you give them a little blood, They run a PSA test, they run a testosterone test, then you sit down. Within thirty minutes, you talk to a licensed medical provider about your results and your options.
Speaker 1: The cost of that appointment is ninety nine dollars.
Speaker 2: If you sign up for testosterone treatment the day of your appointment, that appointment is absolutely free. Tri State Men's Health has six locations, Cincinnati, Daton. Two in Columbus that would be in Hilliard and Westerville, Louisville and Northern Kentucky. Most men they wait a year, they wait even longer. Why be one of those guys? Call him today in one aine hundred nine hundred nine to sixty five for or visit Tri State Men's Health.
Speaker 6: Lackey of the Bengals right now, statistically have a defense that's trending toward being the worst in the history of the National Football League. Yeat Zach Taylor says he has faith and trust in Al Golden, so those staff changes are imminent. I can't even believe I'm saying that. What options right now do the Bengals have on defense?
Speaker 7: Of course, not a ton of great options here during this season. Now, you could look to, you know, just on a whole team level, we would look to trade somebody. But who are you going to trade? You know, is Trey Hendrickson your most valuable piece? What are you gonna get from him? Right? I don't see that. I guess you can't just keep rolling out the same guys for another reason than perception, right, and just how that looks? I mean, at some point, don't you just just search the waiver wire, bring new guys in for workouts every Monday and just try to see if you can catch a diamond in the rough.
Speaker 1: They gotta do something, don't they know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, none of these options I've described are good ones. I'm just saying, you gotta do something. He can't just keep rolling the same cast of characters out.
Speaker 6: I'll be okay if they called you at this point, Yes, I'll take anything. Try putting a twelfth guy on the field. Try putting a thirteenth guy in the field if they catch it. On one hand, I feel bad for Al Golden who. I mean, look, the work he has done in college has spoken for itself. But at the end of the day, he took this job, and it's it's not like we're asking for them to be the two thousand Ravens. We're asking them for them to be slightly better than the worst defense in the history of the sport. And so far he seems incapable of doing that.
Speaker 7: I agree, And I feel like at some point it, you know, comes down to effort too. And I mean, and if you're him and you see one one rep of a guy where he's not sticking his head in there, and he's not playing aggressive, he's not looking like he wants to, you know, use proper fundamentals and make a tackle. He's got to go at some point, some example has got to be said that this is not acceptable, and hopefully he's the guy that can do that.
Speaker 1: Bengals don't play this weekend.
Speaker 6: We'll see how many points the Bengals managed to give up during their buy. Then they're back on the field against the Pittsburgh Steelers a week from Sunday. That game we'll kick off at one and you'll hear it live on seven hundred WLW with Rocky Boyman.
Speaker 1: I'm Louwager. I just want to live questions.
Speaker 4: Is the Bloomberg money Minutes on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 5: This is a Bloomberg money minute. Starbucks is looking to improve its fortunes in China and hoping a local partner will help. The coffee chain has agreed to sell a majority stake and it's China business to a Chinese private equity firm. Starbucks has been searching for a partner to help chart its next chapter in that nation. Starbucks has struggled in recent years, along with other Western companies that have lost ground to local rivals.
Speaker 8: It's looking like.
Speaker 5: A rough day on Wall Street. Stocks are seeing losses this morning with SMP futures down around one percent. Keep in mind that stocks have served more than thirty five percent since April, and the fight between YouTube and Disney over distribution fees continues to drag on. YouTube TV rejected Disney's request to restore ABC to the online TV service this election day. YouTube says adding back the channel for the day might confuse subscribers. YouTube TV customers lost access to Disney channels such as ABC, ESPN, and FX on October thirty, first Cortney Donahope Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Radio Hight eight thirty eight on The Big One, Welcome to the Morning Show, seven hundred WLW. We talk about it all the time, the immense popularity of this segment. We do it every single Tuesday with former United States Olympia Julie Isfording, born and raised Cincinnati Gal. As we like to say, I hope you're okay. You okay, would be referring to you as the Cincinnati Gal. Julie Isfording.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I love the Cincinnati part.
Speaker 1: That's not crazy about Gal. It's okay, okay.
Speaker 8: At least I get to talk to you every Tuesday.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the lucky me.
Speaker 2: Lucky me too, Lucky me because every time I talk to you every Tuesday, you joining us this time, there's a good chance I'm not getting enough sleep.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that was a big It's a huge topic. It's maybe the number one topic in America if you do all your research. We're chronically sleep deprived. It's like a crisis. You wonder why everyone's so angry and tired. We're just not sleeping enough. And there's so many reasons for it. You know, we've trained our brains to be alert twenty four to seven. We're always on thanks to smartphones and constant notifications. And how about just one more episode of streaming and think about the stress we're under. Financial worries, job pressure, parenting, a lot of uncertainty right now. And so that's a body's stress response. So we're really really like just on high alert all I love.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you this.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you this though, because when when you know, when I knew that I was having the opportunity, thank God for it, to take this job. It was going to require basically a one point eighty from my prior life, working nights, going to bed at twelve thirty one o'clock in the morning every night, because you got a ballgame, it goes to eleven o'clock, and maybe I'd get up at seven, but I was still getting seven plus hours of sleep a night, okay. And one of the things that that I researched were people who were sleeping less than what we're told we should get, and there are a lot of them out there. I guess what I'm asking you in a very long winded way forgive me, is I guess each of us are bodies. Will it ultimately tell us if or getting enough sleep? Or or do we not even know it and we just continue to keep on keeping on.
Speaker 8: God, that's a great question. It's kind of like what happens when we don't get enough sleep. You ever notice like you have brain fog, you're just like not with it, or every your food goes down. How about a lot of people gain weight. I mean, you're waking might not be because you're eating more, It's because you're not getting enough sleep, so your hunger hormones kick in. You don't want to exercise, you don't have the energy. All your energy is being used to keep you awake during the day. And then you know, Tom, you know what I think is the worst? Like the saddest part of not getting enough sleep. You're living half your life. You miss the small stuff, the little miracles during the day. You know that opportunity to say something great to your kid or extend to kindness, or you don't hear that compliment coming your way, or you had this wonderful opportunity to thank someone and you just weren't there. It's like you've lost your spirit. And I think that's the hardest one for me or I you know, I'm not with it during the day, or like this radio show, I always try to get a little more sleep, you know, on Monday night, because I want to do well. I want to say the right thing at the right time.
Speaker 4: I want to be with it.
Speaker 8: So to me, that's the hardest part. But you know, we always talk about how do we get fit, how do we exercise, how do we I think sometimes we have to do just sleep more. And it sounds funny right to say do nothing, Like for us we think sleep is nothing, but it's probably one of the most important things you ever do. And people argue with me. They always say, well, I stay up late because it's the only me time I get. So I scrolled, yeah, and people scroll and snack or binge just to reclaim control over their life. Where you know, it's just like when we are kids and you you know, you got your kids in early to read them a bedtime story. So can we go back to that, Yeah, you know that way, like you know, everything's a little bit easier in life. That email that wasn't meant to really hurt hurt you. You don't take personally that traffic jam doesn't become a huge crisis. Can you see how like everything when you don't get to sleep, everything seems so much harder.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you hit the nail on the head about about you know, we hear all the time and I look, I've been the first guy to kind of roll my eyes at that term being present, right, I mean, guilty is charged, But I mean the older we get and you really take a step back and you say, you know what that is really really something that that's got to be maybe in the top three things we do every single day, whether it's with our family, our wives, our husbands, our kids, our significant other, or are the people we work with being present and when you're tired, as you just pointed out, you're really not present a lot.
Speaker 8: Yeah, It's really kind of sad because you know, they always say it's not the starter or the finish, it's the company you keep during your lifetime. It's that. But you're going to miss it. You're definitely going to miss the small miracles in your life if you're sleep deprived, and don't you love the people say, oh, I only need six hours of sleep, and I think, and yeah, you're the one that falls asleep in church and you need a therapist and you know, so I'm always saying, I wonder what you would be like with seven hours of sleep or six and a half hours of sleep. So you just never know how great, how outrageously wonderful that's what you can be until you really think about how you could get just fifteen more minutes of sleep or twenty, or just get that a little earlier. But you nailed it on the head. I mean, what a great motivation to know that if you get a little more sleep, your resilience and your wisdom and your hope and your joy and you're happy will be exponentially better. I mean, if you have more sleep, you're happier, and you don't want your happy to go away?
Speaker 2: Can you make that up? Can you make that up? Julian naps? I know you love naps, you talk about it on a regular basis. Can you make up if you're only getting five or six hours of sleep and not for various reasons whatever they might be, maybe working two jobs, maybe you know, you got all kinds of things going on. Do naps help?
Speaker 8: I think naps are more important than exercise. I think naps are more important than a hand say much. I mean a lot of time. We're really not hungry, we just need to lay down and if you read all the research, you really can get a twenty minute nap and you know, just rest your eyes, just a little downtime can make such a difference in your life. It's hard, though, you know, once you're on, you're on, and you have so many demands and you don't want to miss anything. You know, we're we're supposed to be super women and superman now super parents, super exercisers, and I think we have to kind of change the filter and just be good people. And good people need to rest and once we realize that it's okay, sometimes we treat it like a luxury when it's really a medical necessity. My favorite doctor, doctor Barrett always says a good laugh and a good nap is the best medicine out there. And if you think about it, it's free once again again. All the really we've complicated life, and you know, see what you can solve just by a good night's rest. You'll feel smarter, you'll feel happier. So you know, I'm just a big fan of it. And and I think you've been touched on some stuff yesterday on your show. If you don't get enough sleep, it leads to really serious medical issues, cart problems, strokes, car crashes because you're not alert. You know the in weight gain. These are serious medical issues. So it's nothing to fool.
Speaker 2: With at the end of the day. And look, whether this is an exact science or not, I don't know. Maybe you do know at the end of the day. How much sleep at night do we really need? Or is that different depending on the person you think?
Speaker 8: You know it's seasonal. I think you know when you're really young, your kids need a lot of sleep. You'll notice they're they're smarter, they're they're better in sports, they're better at school. When they've had good nine ten hours of sleep. You can get away with as you you know, dur when you're like twenties and thirties, you know they say seven hours or so. As you age, though, you do need a little more sleep, and you got to capture it. You have to be responsible, you got to plan it. But as you get older and older, sleep exponentially gives you back your life. It makes you more alert, it makes you happier, and you know, that's a wonderful way to live your life. When you're fully there, you don't miss out, you don't lose your spirit. So you're right. It changes males females age what and you know if you're a high level athlete, you need more sleep, so it just waivers. You can't give like a really a really good like dab on that. But I think the most important thing, Tom is you know yourself better than anyone. You know, when you're when you've lost your patience, you're starting to be angry, you're not exercise anymore, you feel dumb.
Speaker 1: You actually, yeah, no doubt about it.
Speaker 8: And you know, you start reflecting and you realize your thoughts are all negative and you're worrying more. It might just be the fact that you're you haven't gotten enough.
Speaker 2: Sleep so well that in mind. I got to go home and take a nap after the show today, I.
Speaker 8: Was wondering, what do you do to get sleep because you have to get up at the krack of dawn? Do you take a naph? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I try to take about a forty five minute nap hour nap every single day. You know, I basically have like two full time days. So I get up at three oh seven, I'm here by three p forty, Okay, i get off at nine. I'll immediately go exercise as soon as I get off, and then I'll go home and hopefully take about an hour nap from roughly about eleven thirty to twelve thirty, and then I start a whole new day.
Speaker 1: So it's not too shabby.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And that's why you're so nice.
Speaker 1: And the part please please stop, just stop, but.
Speaker 8: How you've made your adjustment and then on the weekend you're doing games, so you've taught yourself. You've really planned it out. And I think that's the most important thing too, is you know how serious it is, and you definitely make a part of your day to find a way to get seven to eight hours.
Speaker 2: To sleep trying, but definitely not at night. Jules can't thank you enough as always for your time. You're the best. I hope you have a great rest of your day today.
Speaker 8: Thanks Tom.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know, before I get out of here today, Fellas, I don't know about you. You maybe for a long time you have had the perfect marriage, and I do believe there is such a thing, but I believe in most cases it's not always perfect.
Speaker 1: Not every day is perfect.
Speaker 2: Speaking to the women out there too, I didn't get married till I was thirty seven years old, and today my wife Polly and I celebrate our twenty fifth wedding anniversary. I told her last night I wish i'd have married her fifteen years before. Wish I would have known her fifteen years before. There are many days through the last twenty five years where I have been far from a perfect husband, far from a great husband. But I thank God multiple times a day for Polly and Atte Rassi and God bringing her into my life. I'm better with her, I'm happier with her. I would marry her all over again. A lot of people don't make it twenty five years. There are a lot of people that have made it a lot longer than twenty five years, but my heart still skips a beat every time I see her. And Honey, I know you're on your way to work, you're driving in the car. You weren't expecting me to say this today, but I love you more than anything in the world. And I say thank you for the last twenty five years, and I pray that this marriage lasts for all eternity.
Speaker 1: Research, education and support at Crons Collidesfoundation dot org.