Speaker 1: And excited to talk to our next guest here, Richard Skinner of course Local twelve and Skinny. We got to ask you first about this NBA the gambling situation. It's kind of a two parter. It's there's Chauncey Billups and his involvement with some high stakes poker games or there's some cheating and some ext ray glasses and stuff. And then there was a second part of it with that has to deal with Terry Razira player possibly using some inside information, possibly you know, playing not playing to affect align. Well, what's your overall thoughts on this.
Speaker 2: It's probably the tip of the iceberg. And I'm gonna guess there are some players and maybe coaches and whoever else that are probably very nervous.
Speaker 3: At the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are two separate situations because the Chauncey builds one was involving high stakes card games.
Speaker 4: That I mean, it is just it.
Speaker 2: It's right out of like James Bond and and Mission Impossible in every kind of weird movie you can think of. Yeah, he was involved in I say's card games with the mafia. Terroo Zier was just was gambling on it on himself for lack of better fan giving information to others. So what he would do would be and I for those who maybe aren't don't know, most every wet betting site out there, you can do the following things on players. They have player props, like they'll set a number for I'm just gonna throw. I'll throw Steph Curry out there for Steph Curry tonight score twenty five points or more, and to have eight assists or more, to make three three pointers or more. And if a guy knows he's not gonna play, or he figures he can make a quick cash pay day out of this and get some buddies and get his his posse, you know, some some coin along with it, he may say, oh, five minutes in the game, I've got an alley and he has told all those players all my props spent them under the probert these guys is this. They're doing it legal websites and in legal ways that raise red flags, like you normally wouldn't have all these bets on this player for under props, and so they're they're actually stupid to do it because it's easy to flag it. Remember we had the betting scandal that involved a couple of members of UC's baseball program titles Alabama, where they walked into the then bet MGM sportsbook downtown and put a bunch of money on an Alabama random Alabama Friday night baseball game, betting against them, and the flag was wait a minute, nobody bets on college baseball, Nobody bets on Alabama and Cincinnati. Nobody bets this amount of money on Alabam in Cincinnati, and so it raised the red flag. So I think those are good things, but I do think this is the tip of the iceberg because I just imagine there are some others out there that are going to get dragged.
Speaker 4: Into this as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and guys, we've been talking about this all along.
Speaker 1: What now.
Speaker 5: Forget about it. It's national sports betting is now allowed. It's pervasive in our society. And did we not think this wasn't going to happen? The money of the temptation is too.
Speaker 1: World, Guys, the temptation it's so easy, I know, but it's easy to get caught, Yeah for sure.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: The thing is, I think it's a lot of these players come from nothing, right, they get the big money, and you know, Antoine Walker, an NBA player conformer Kentucky player gambled his whole career earnings away. I mean, it was a shame. He made eighty million his career and he gambled it all away. But then you have you have your boys, right, I mean we all have our guys we grew up with and maybe still hang around with. I mean, I know friendships change over lifetimes, but there's still your crew, and your crew has nothing and you have everything, and you have a way to get your crew a little a little bag of cash.
Speaker 1: Yep, you're gonna tell.
Speaker 4: Your crew, Hey, you three four guys.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm gonna sit this one out or I'm only gonna play five minutes.
Speaker 4: And it might be true. Maybe he did have an alley.
Speaker 2: Nobody knew it but you, and you're like, I'm just I'm hurt enough to where I can pull this off. Guys, just everybody go back the under. But again, when everybody goes and does it and it raises the red flag, it's just stupid because it's going to.
Speaker 1: Raise the red flag, all right, and it is. It's it's the greediness of it. It's you know, if if you only told one buddy, or if that buddy didn't bet, you know, twenty thousand dollars or some big number on some odd obscure prop bet. It probably wouldn't show up if you had a little discipline. But I mean that's usually what gets people. You know, you probably do it a couple of times. You're like, well, you don't look at it like I'm I'm winning five hundred bucks. You look at like I'm losing ten thousand, because if I just bet a little more, it's a sure thing, Like what am I doing here? Right?
Speaker 2: Yep, that's right. I Mean, we saw a player get banned from the NBA for life in the offseason because of these type of things, and I don't think they'll stop, or maybe they will. Maybe players will finally realize that they're thinking of doing this, like no, man, this is too easy for me to get caught by doing it, you know, betting it legally. And I think that's a good part of the legal betting is you can you know, raise the red flags on these where we've had we've had point shaving scandals going back to the nineteen fifties in sports, primarily in college basketball. You know, we had fifties and sixties, we had the Boston College points shaving scandal in the early nineteen eighties. We had Steven had eight Smith at Arizona State in the nineteen nineties. They were doing it illegally, but it raised enough of red flags where they were betting or somebody was being laid off, like you're you're gonna get caught. I mean, you just are.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and I did see this somewhere. Somebody said, like, what was the first year of baseball, like eighteen seventy seven or something like that. Yeah, but the first year of people, you know, a gambling scandal in baseball was like eighteen seventy eight, like like the next year, So it's going on for kind of forever. So yeah, but you're right with it being legalized. I think that that helps a little bit more of the checks and balances. But I also just think with how how easily done it is. And also I think also players like like when I played, it was like you don't even you don't even go there at all, like you, I mean, they would they would talk all the time. Once a year, there'd be a big meeting. We're like told stay away from gambling, don't even think about it, don't look at it. Well, now these leagues and these teams are in bed with these betting agencies. So I think the player goes, you know, it seems like it's kind of you know, kind of kosher. Now, And what's what's it heard? If I I'm already gonna be out the game anyway, it's I'm not lying. So if I tell a couple buddies, they make a couple of bucks, everybody wins. But that's that's how bad things start.
Speaker 4: Yes, indeed, we're talking.
Speaker 5: To Richard Skinner and skinny switching gears here. Let's talk about that poker thing.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: When you get the mafia involved, guys, stuff gets real. As we say on the street, and I've heard some guys talking today, and it makes sense. Do you do we think that maybe Chauncey Billups did one thing a little favor for the mafia and then they go, we got you, so here's what we need you.
Speaker 2: To do for us, right, yeah, no that And now he is staunchly, through an attorney, denied all of this, and so you know, at the moment you take him at his worries and this is until proven guilty. But you can see how something like that happens like you are betting illegally. Maybe he wasn't. But if somehow they find a way to get their hooks into you, like the Boston College scandal. I don't know if you guys have seen it. ESPN years ago did a thirty for thirty on it. I just was on he other morning, on a Sunday morning, I watched it again. It just still fascinates me. You know, they scared these kids into Hey, man, we paid you. Now you're into us, and now you can't turn back this. We already made you dirty, and you got to keep doing this, and you just keep digging a hole and digging a hole and digging a hole till finally the FBI busted busted that up and got some mob asolitiates along with it. So that's the thing, man, if their hooks are into you, you're probably you're in a tough spot. I'll tell you it's an easy spot to be in. But you know, if that's the case, it seems like they they had their hooks into some people. For whatever reasons, they were able to have these guys recruit high end, high end players who would then come and lose the money.
Speaker 1: Richard Skinner's our guests, and Skinny real quick, I did want to talk some Bengals. So the Jets are starting likely Tyrod Taylor, Sauce Garters out, Garrett Wilson's out. This is already own seventeen. No way the Bengals gonna lose this, right, Skinny, Well, I'm.
Speaker 2: Never gonna say that again because I know I literally said that on your show and on most show last year before the Patriots game, like there's no way there is a way if they don't tackle better. I mean, if you have another poor tackling game and somehow that lets the Jets rudloff the hook a few times, or if Justin Field gets in the game and you know he takes a read option eighty yards for a touchdown only because you didn't tackle. That part would scare you a little bit, you know. Quinn Williams upfronts of dude. I mean, he is literally a dude, and so you have to account for him. But I mean, this Jets offense, I got a chance obviously this past Sunday because the Bengal was played on Thursday night. To do with the rest of America, does I put my feet up and watch red zone, and every time they would go to that Jets Panthers game, I'm watching Tyrod Taylor and make one horrific pass after another, and they just look awful. And then you take the best receiver on that team by a mile, in Garrett Wilson, out of the mix, and you take a Pro Bowl caliber cornerback out of the mix, you know that that's one of the read They're a winless team.
Speaker 4: For a reason.
Speaker 2: I will tell you just so you know. They lose the Broncos thirteen to eleven. They had minus ten yards passing in that game. By the way, they lost earliest year of the Jets by two. They only lost that Panthers game, but they made multiple chances to drive down and tie it. So they're not far away. And I think those are the scary teams. But I just think with the Bengals from a confidence standpois at least offensively, it's got to be at at a very high level. Right now, this would be a game. Get that lead early, get up fourteen to nothing, fourteen to three, because I think a team that's winless at that points goes, yeah, well was us. Let's finish this thing off and get the hell on the plane and go back home. So don't let them hang around. And that's kind of what the kind of what the Patriots did last year that over they just kind of hung around and hung around, and you felt like the Bengals were gonna stap out of it, and they never did. I just think this team really looked at this three game stretch, even though they talk about we take a game to games as the stretch to kind of write the ship a little bit here before the bye week, and and I don't think they're gonna let that opportunity pass by.
Speaker 1: Well, Skinny, I totally agree with your point where about tackling. That's probably been the lack of tackling or the poor tackling has been probably the most consistent thing in every Bengals game this year. So that's got to be good. But also, I mean, do you'd like the for the Bengals to have consecutive weeks running the ball better?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Finally that run game got going against Pittsburgh. You'd like to see him do that again here this week?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I wrote a story on that yesterday of you know how that the reasons why they kind of unlock things and can't it continue. But it was funny when I'd ask I have Zach in a press conference. I asked Dan Pitcher, the offensive coordinator. He has a session with the writers once a week, and you know, they really didn't pinpoint it as any one specific thing. It was. It was, you know, one play, we did this, another play some of us. The pass game helped open things up, getting under center a little bit more, I think helped the run game. Wasn't all the runs from under center somewhere from the gun, but seemed like they got a little momentum from going under center and and popping one. You know, is it the combination of Dalton Riiser at left guard and Jalen Rivers at right guard and you know, for a second straight week, is that settled things down? Although I don't think I be honestly, I think Jyllan Fairchild's gonna start on Sunday in place at Dalton Riser, so they're switching left guard again. You know, I kind of would rather go with the hot hand, but yeah, I mean that's the thing. Is this just a one off? Was Pittsburgh's defense that bad? Or did you indeed finally unlock something in the run game? I think we're gonna find out because that's again, that's a good that's a good Jets defensive front.
Speaker 5: All right, well, Skinny, we will see what happens. And Rock and I talked to we do every Thursday, to Jason Hoffman, and he is the sports editor for The Inquiry, as we all know, and I was telling him. I was like, okay, flacoh maitea, we get it. But now we know, uh where Flacco eats. Uh, we know basically what kind of toilet paper he uses where, Uh he's novels right, his favorite authors.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: We know everything we could possibly know about Joe Flaco. So uh, let's hope that that continues and we get to learn more and more about our QB with that skill.
Speaker 7: You thanks buddy, Thanks our good friend Richard Skinner Local twelve.
Speaker 5: And I loved giving Hoffmann crap about that, because again every day it's does he like Skyline?
Speaker 1: Does he? But that that one in particular, that that is such a Cincinnati thing. Is you know, like did you? Okay, we kind of like you, But here here's this, this is the be all and on. Do you like Skyliner? Gold Star? Have you ever eaten Greater's ice Cream? And if you say no or I don't like him, then out of.
Speaker 5: Hell with your bum bum get the hell out. It's out with that. We take it. With traffic and weather, what is going on?
Speaker 8: You see how traffic center Ammigram saved lives called five one three five eight four pink. Schedule your annual Mammigram with uc Hell's expert team.
Speaker 1: Five one three five eight four pink.
Speaker 8: Couple of breakdowns on two seventy five eastbound after Princeton Pike and west found after the Combeshil Bridge. We've got police on the scene of both locations getting those cleaned up. Seventy five southbound Ronald Reagan Highway to Norwood lateral solos through the road work, and we have southbound seventy five Shepherd and Ronald Reagan Highway with about a five minute trip. On this two seventy five eastbound Dixie Highway to Madison Pike, getting reports of heavier pockets of traffic about a ten minute trip. And on seventy five for filling in northbound Mitchell to Ronald Reagan Highway up to about a fifteen minute drive. My Rick shrempdw's radio seven hundred double DYLW.
Speaker 5: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW Weather Center Ford and I Portley cloudy and thirty three for tomorrow clouds and fifty seven it is fifty five Now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: Rising down town violence and political pressure have catalyzed the chaos regarding the Cincinnati Police chief. While the interim chief steadies the ship, will community leaders turn to a tried and true veteran to become police chief permanently? Or will a fresh face rise from within the ranks to restore calm and credibility? As speculation is swirling, keep it here for the latest on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 10: This report is sponsored by the Dwyer Company, the only name to know for waterproofing your.
Speaker 1: Home is your most important asset.
Speaker 11: So trust the experts from the Dwyer Company, whether it's waterproofing, sunk and concrete and.
Speaker 1: Right to you. Yes, our good friend, John matteris don't waste your money in John. I think we talked last week about you know, the Christmas decorations are already up at the local home depot and at the lows. But some of these, according to your are getting kind of pricey. John. I saw this story.
Speaker 5: You posted this on the website the other day and it was like, are you kidding me right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is unbelievable. You know, I've talked to you about those Halloween decorations because you know everybody wants those twelve foot skeletons. Yeah, I think they call them skelley you know. And you see those all around and those things cost two hundred and fifty to three hundred bucks. So that's skeleton.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 4: Other good news is you can put a Bearcat's jersey on it on Saturday, in a Bengals jersey on it on Sunday.
Speaker 3: You see people doing that.
Speaker 4: But that's twoard to fifty to three hundred bucks. That's a chunk of change. Well, now, if you check out Home Depot and Low's, they're switching over to Christmas. Yes already, it's not Halloween. They're switching over to Christmas. You've got to walk into Low's because it's turning into a tourist attraction. They have this giant Lootolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, set of animated lawn figures, and I mean the Abominable Snowman. He's twelve feet high. I mean, it's unbelievable. It's a whole set of them. They move, they talk. You got ukar On Cornelia, I'm you car On Cornelius. You know you got fat. You got Herbie saying I want to be a dentist. I mean, it's it's unbelievable. It's the whole cast from Rudolph. It's incredible. I was in there the other day doing this story, and like some older couple comes up and they start taking pictures of themselves in front of it. They go, we can't afford it, but we'll take pictures in front of it. You gotta get You got to hear us in the price. They're all about three to four hundred dollars, you know, just like that skeleton. But you can't just put Herbie the dentist in your front yard. You need multiples, you know, you need a bunch of them. The whole set is one thousand, three hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Now see that's what you need, rock dude. You got plenty of space out there. You could buy one hundred green deery. Just sprinkle them around your property.
Speaker 1: Don't don't give her any ideas that I know. I'm trying right now. I'm trying to think. Yeah, like okay, because I'm actually on the website. I'm looking. Yeah, there's multiple different characters you can get. You can get the uh, you know, the minor looking guy, you can get the I think you got to get the abominable snowman. You got to get Rudolph be abominable.
Speaker 4: You gotta get Abominable. He looks just like the one in the show and he roars. I mean it's incredible, But dude is four hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: I can't tell it. It's not.
Speaker 5: Well, you've got to be one of those people though, that you count on. You know, you want to be a Christmas attraction. You know the people do that. They decorate the house and they're playing of the music, so you know they're already dropping five eight.
Speaker 4: Grad that's one of the houses. Yeah, for one of those houses that you know, there's a line of traffic to see the house, you know, because of all the lights and everything. And you go put that Rootolph set in your yard. You're going to be the bomb of the neighborhood. I tell you. But I would make sure you put a good bike lock around all those figures because wow, they're expensive.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. Yeah, I mean people could jump up in your yard and snatch that thing's you know it's not you lose twenty five a couple couple hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's not a twenty dollars inflatable, you know it's it's some real jack. But I've got the story on my Instagram and on my Facebook page if you want to check it out, because we got them all to talk. It was so cool, kind of you know, got video of the whole thing, and there's there's Yukon Cornelius and there's Rude Off with his nose glowing, and it's it's quite impressive, I will say. And you can see it lows and take your picture in front of it, and that won't cost you anything.
Speaker 1: Did you think a thousand bucks.
Speaker 5: Talking about stealing those things? Did you guys see that video not too long ago of the woman who pulled up in front of some guy's house with their car and he had one of those giant inflatable skeletons out there.
Speaker 1: She walks up and just takes it down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sticks it her trunk and drives away. Yeah, in the in Broadway light.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The the inflatables are easy targets because they fold down. Now these you know, the abotoma was smell snowman here from the I'm looking on the picture on your website, John it looks like it's a real plastic giant thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is a giant thing. Yeah, it's not unflatable to take the air out, and uh you take the air out and stick it in the trunk of your car. So those are and you know what, you probably need a big three car garage the store. I mean, we're you going to put that soccer for that for the summer?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you drop three grand on your Christmas display. Now you got to rent a.
Speaker 4: Two hundred bucks a month to keep them.
Speaker 7: So what else we got going on, Johnny, Well, we've got all sorts of consumer issues and alerts and schemes that we've been reporting on.
Speaker 4: And did I warned about the garage door scam last week? I might have I'm truck remember that one.
Speaker 1: I was not here Friday, so I don't remember if we, uh, we.
Speaker 4: Did story about it. And it's a good warning that you need a garage door fixed, and people are going We had a woman out in Claremont County one on her phone and said garage door repair near me and Bingo makes a call call some number, turns out and stand in Florida somewhere. They send Jimbob out, who basically, you know, scariest character you've ever seen in his old rusty truck and you know, three times the interital estimate, and she just pays them cash to get him out of the house. It's like, this guy's scary, but there's so many of these. It also happens with locksmith. Let's say you lock yourself out of the house. We've had this one come up before where some woman's like, she contacted me. She said, John, I locked myself out of the house. Luckily, out of my phone, I looked up locksmith's near me, and up comes some you know Cincinnati aaaaa locksmith you know how they do it at the top of the phone book whatever, and looks up one of those locksmith comes over and again it's Jimbob and an unmarked truck. And he said, you know when she called, they said, oh, we'll let you in your house for one hundred bucks. You can deal with that. Jim Bob comes over said, here, I need a new lock charges like eight hundred dollars to let her in her house. After she locked herself out. So you've got to be so careful when you're looking for a garage door repair or you're looking for a locksmith to get you into your house, you need to look up and makes just make sure it's a real company. Just don't put in locksmith near me. That's where you fall victim to these scams.
Speaker 3: We're everywhere.
Speaker 4: And I like to say a scheme.
Speaker 5: My brother went out with a locksmith for a while. Her father owned a lock that was his business, and she did it with him. And I'll see she had some really weird stories talking about Uh, you know, you got the irate ex husband who's, oh, I'm a locked down warehouse here and blah blah blah. And he was like, you had to be real careful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, white yep. Wife changes the lock. Husband can't husband can't get in because she's like, you're out on the street to change the lock. And then you must have had like the kinky people who's like, I'm locked in my bedroom and I can't get out.
Speaker 1: My mind didn't go there, it didn't at all, but didn't go to that one.
Speaker 4: How I will leave I will leave you with that image.
Speaker 5: Hardware store wearing a trench coat and a top and I a Dora either, So, uh, I guess I'm behind there.
Speaker 4: You go, Hey, guys, have a good weekend and don't waste your money.
Speaker 5: Yes, uh well there's a John Mattery's and uh yeah, that's the first thing I thought of, I'm locked in my handcuffs in my bedroom. Helped me out, was that the first thing he goes to not let cancuffs on.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: Coming up, we're gonna be talking about this gambling situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We've got a Mark Elfinbine. He is a expert on this situation. A fascinating story and you know a lot of folks think it's just the tip of the iceberg here with you know, with Chauncey Billups and Terry Razier and I think many others could be involved. And we will talk to him next after the news. News Radio seven hundred WOW News, Traffic and Weather.
Speaker 9: News Radio seven hundred w l W, Cincinnat.
Speaker 12: Canada will eventually pull a TV ad that angered President Trump. This is the four o'clock report. I'm Matt Reese breaking now. Ontario Canada says it will pull a TV ad that features former President Reagan criticizing trade tariffs, but not right away. That ad has caused President Trump to stop trade talks with Canada.
Speaker 13: Going to continue airing this ad through the weekend because of the World Series. The Toronto Blue Jays are playing the Los Angeles Dodgers in the World Series, so that could be a potential significant number of eyeballs that we'll be seeing this, But the statement from the Ontario government says they will pull it starting on Monday, so trade talks can resume.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 12: That's ABC's Karen Travers. Trump and the Canadian Prime Minister are scheduled to talk on the sidelines of the World Leaders Summit that's in South Korea next week. All right, on this Friday afternoon, we check your drive home or wherever you are headed the latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 8: From the UC Health Traffic Center. Mammogram Saved Lives called five one three five eight four pink. Schedule your annual mammogram with you see Health Sexperteam five one three five eight four pink. Breakdown on two seventy five westbound combs Hell Bridge. It's on the right hand side and still being attended to. Now we do have seventy five sewing should make your Way southbound Ronald Ring And Highway to Norwin. The lad rolling again from Sheppard to Ronalding and Highway. We're saying about a seven minute delay northbound seventy five from US forty two to the Brent Spence Bridge in Kentucky, it's a twenty five minute trip. Northbound seventy five. Mitchell to Ronald Reagan Highway is a fifteen minute drive, and we have the slowdowns on two seventy five at the Carrol Cropper Bridge. Westbound delays get back to red around Highway four ninety five in Kentucky with about a half hour slowdown. Southbound, it's about a five minute delay back to US fifty In Indiana. My Rick SHRMP News Radio seven hundred double d well w.
Speaker 14: NOW the latest forecast from the No Fear Dentist Weather Center Advanced Dentistry. The thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck, We're here for you, No Fear Dentist dot Com.
Speaker 1: Low thirty six to night.
Speaker 12: In fact, there's a frost advisory in effect for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Morning.
Speaker 12: Temperature is as low as thirty four degrees expected, mostly cloudy tomorrow, sixty for the high mostly cloudy Sunday with a slight chance of rain for the Bengals game a high fifty nine. Monday mostly Claudia, slight chance of rain and a high sixty. This game day forecast built by American home Tech storm ready roofs built to last American home Tech dot com again going to pay Court Stadium Bengals Jets this coming Sunday, slight chance of rain and we're looking at a high of fifty nine. A thirty nine year old man whom police say jumped off the Purple People Bridge and survived, is suspected of stabbing a forty one year old woman on Homewood Place in Merrimont earlier today. The victim expected to recover. The man who jumped was rescued from the Ohio River and is charged with felonious assault and domestic violence. While on his route, a rumky driver found a body along Ohio Wins twenty five in Brown County. The Ohio State Highway Patrol says the person found was twenty two year old Caleb Holbert of Russellville, and police believe he was struck by a vehicle which took off a kid who goes to Williamstown Independent Schools was removed from the campus this morning for allegedly bringing a gun. There was a lockdown. Gun was found during a search, but not known which school in Williamstown and Northern Kentucky the child attended, and not clear if there are any charges file. This is homecoming weekend for number twenty one of the nation u see and tonight our own Tony Pike, former quarterback for the Bearcats, is going to be inducted into the UC Hall of Fame. There is a homecoming parade tomorrow at New.
Speaker 1: Seven one hundred WLW.
Speaker 15: Sports College Basketball Tonight exhibition play Cincinnati Bearcats at Arkansas. Also it'll be preseason number one perdue up against number nine Kentucky six o'clock on ESPN. Fifteen thirty College Footbaltimore twenty first rate of Cincinnati Bearcats co leaders in the Big twelve take on Baylor action right here on seven hundred WLW Tomorrow at three o'clock. Bengals Update brought to you by Goods, Spirits and Party Town thirteen locations in Northern Kentucky. Bengals and Jets Sunday Best Bengals Coverage ninety I'm with the Arnel Carriers pregame sports talk show presented by Cincinnati Northern Kentucky Toyota Dealer's Life in the Holy Grail with kickoff at one Bill Edison seven undred WW.
Speaker 12: Sports at the Clothes on Wall Street. The Dow's up four hundred and seventy two points, SP five hundred and fifty three, NASTAC up two hundred and sixty one. All that good news is because of the September Consumer Price Index, which was delayed by the government shutdown, but it put the annual inflation rate at three percent that came in better than expect at four oh seven. Next News at four point thirty matt Reeese News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 10: This report is sponsored by Macy's Backstage. Macy's Backstage is a whole department inside your Macy's store where you can find the latest fall looks, all for under thirty dollars with new arrivals every day.
Speaker 1: We're talking about while we're there to talk talk Yeah, because it's like straight out of a movie. I mean, you got the mafia involved. Who knew the mafia was powerful? These days? You got card viewing technology and X ray glasses, and you know this person's in on it that person's in on and then that's almost even separate from then you got the situation with Terry Rozier possibly using inside information to hedge some prop bets, and it's kind of a mess. And look, the NBA season just started and here we are right out of the gate. Just not a good look for the NBA. RW Well, we bring in our guest. He has been around the business of brown sports and broadcasting for over forty years. He is Mark Elfenbeien elf How you doing today, man Fallas.
Speaker 3: How were you happy? Weekend? Coming up?
Speaker 5: It's Sarah so Elfa in your opinion? What was this a long time coming? But we were talking about it earlier with the gambling being as pervasive as it is now, it was only a matter of time, right.
Speaker 6: Oh, one hundred percent. I mean, listen, this was not a shock. It was maybe a little bit of a surprise. It's just that, you know, look, it's been going on forever.
Speaker 3: We all know it. Everybody's been betting, gambling.
Speaker 6: My father's gambled, everybody gambled, and it was kind of the hush hush, God forbid you say anything on TV, even when a game is being played. But listen, now they've made it open. They've made it clear. You can't see a TV crawl without betting. You can't have any TV show without talking about gambling. Not only gambling on the game, guys gambling on the play, I mean gambling on halftime. And I think the thing that caught I guess a little bit of us off guard is when you hear a name like Hall of Famer Chauncey Billups.
Speaker 3: Who is an active, an active.
Speaker 6: Coach in the NBA involved, The first thing I thought of is he's involved in something regarding the games. And he was the one that was involved in the gambling thing with the cards and the mop, which scares the hell out of me because I don't want to get involved in the mafia.
Speaker 3: I like those guys. I want to be friends with them.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, we all do. I think that the shocking thing to me, it's not shocking, I guess because with so many different ways of gambling. We have a gambling guy we talked to every Thursday to talk about the NFL action, and there's all these prop bets, all these you know, things that I don't feel I don't think existed even a couple of years ago. But it's kind of odd wagers you can make on a certain amount of points that Guile score in the third quarter of the game. And it sounds like what Terry Rozier did. If I'm not mistaken, it would be taking some of these prop bets and would you know, either play or not play a certain amount of time in one of those those quarters, and then maybe pass that information along to some of his friends or whoever, and they would place bets. But it would kind of be a red flag because all of a sudden there'd be a ton of money on some obscure prop bet.
Speaker 3: Right. Oh yeah, And look, I mean you and everybody else.
Speaker 6: We all been talking to people all with the country that passed twenty four hours and prop bets have always been out there. But one of the things that every team in the league has to do is, you know, you got to hey is so and so playing? You have so many hours before the game starts. You got to let be known who's playing who's not. Well, if I find out Luka Doncons is not playing tonight for the Lakers, guess you want betting on, right, And that's part of what you know, Terry Rozier and.
Speaker 3: I can promise you.
Speaker 6: Dozens of others have been doing and if you if you've seen the highlights state they've been showing the last twenty four forty eight hours is the game that Rosier was involved in that the I guess he said he was going to be under his total and he was just throwing the ball away, throwing the ball away.
Speaker 3: And then then I found.
Speaker 6: Out today that that day of that game that Vegas was taking more action on the under for Terry Rozier than they've ever had.
Speaker 3: And the Vegas contact in the NBA and told them in the NBA didn't do anything. Wow, told them.
Speaker 6: Hey, we got a lot of action coming on Rosier an obscure game that nobody cares about.
Speaker 3: But this is a little odd for us, and here we are in Vegas.
Speaker 1: It would almost be like if they if you didn't give that information to as many people and they weren't so greedy, were they made you know, some you know, big time money wagers on this, you probably would have gotten away with it. But those red flags show up, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they do.
Speaker 6: Listen, what was it ten twelve, fifteen years ago than Tim Donahy, the scandal with him.
Speaker 3: You know, and we we kind of joked.
Speaker 6: It was like, Wow, you know what official or what player in any sport has the most ability to change the outcome or you know, fix a game. Is it a referee? Is it an umpire? Is it a referee in football? Is it the player?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 6: And Danna he showed it. Oh I can do it. Oh no, you traveled no way did Yeah you did?
Speaker 3: Sorry? You know, I need be over tonight.
Speaker 1: You traveled right, No, no doubt about it. And Mark Alvin Bying is our guest here in I mean, is are we to believe Chauncey Billups is the only one that was involved even in the in the poker thing. I have to imagine this is going to go a lot lot further right.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I think it's a lot deeper. I think the thing again that kinda is surprising to me is the FBI agent said Chauncey Willips was involved, and I'm thinking, oh, okay, he's involved now as an NBA coach.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's shocking.
Speaker 6: He said, no, no, no, we go back to when Chauncey Billups was playing, is what he was involved in these poker games. And that's the part that I was like, Wow. When he was playing, he was involved, and he was the one that was really in charge of getting other people friends of his to play with select pretty people.
Speaker 3: And according to the FBI, everybody was in on the.
Speaker 6: Take, including Chauncey, and it was still with his friends and his buddies.
Speaker 1: The amazing thing is, if you're Chauncey Billups, I looked it up. He's made one hundred and eighty million dollars in his career. Terry Razier's made one hundred and sixty million. You know, why would you get involved in this?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 1: I guess the thrill, the win and but but I guess the case I would make is, you know, Michael Jordan liked the gamble and because he liked the juice, he liked the action, he liked the tension. But there's not really the tension if you if the game is rigged, right, I mean, it's there's no real there's no real rush that that you would get. I would I would imagine.
Speaker 6: No, well I don't know that, and I imagine you don't. But it's again what I've been hearing lately. It's it's the addiction, just the flat out addiction to I you know they need that to them. I guess it is that rush of even if I'm betting on a game.
Speaker 3: And it's over and I need over and it's.
Speaker 6: One game, having all that money doesn't do anything, they still need more action, and I, yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: I find it amazing. You know, I don't have that kind of bread.
Speaker 5: Well, some of something we were talking about earlier is some of these guys, Yeah, they don't need the money, would say, you know, their posse, they're guys, you know they got look, uh, you know, I'm having a little trouble again, meat alimony or whatever the case might be.
Speaker 1: And so it's like, yeah, hey, the player doesn't want to hand them money, but he says, hey, I'm not gonna. I'm not gonna.
Speaker 5: I've already given you one hundred thousand dollars, bro, but I will sit this one out for just for you. Put ten thousand dollars on me tonight to score under thirty or whatever the case might be.
Speaker 6: Right, all of a sudden, my ankle is gonna be hurting me in the second quarter.
Speaker 1: Watch Yeah right, Yeah, that's that's part. So I mean what I in a way, I guess that the fact that there's so much legal gambling going on now is maybe a big reason why this was even caught, right, So I guess the question is this gambling culture that we're in right now, where that's so pervasive when sports, is it a good thing or is it going to lead to more of this kind of thing? Do you think?
Speaker 6: Well, look, it's been going on forever. I mean, my father gambled when I was young. I took the phone calls from him every Sunday. It never led me to gamble, but I know it always went on and it was always looked at it. Well, there's only a couple of states in our country you can gamble, and it's you're not supposed to gamble anyway, but everybody did it.
Speaker 3: They had offshore guys.
Speaker 6: Well now that look nil is open, right, They still seated and gave players money before. Now it's just I'm giving to you on top of the table instead of under and gambling. Now that it's it's pretty legal and they talk about it, and all the teams have got all the advertising non stop, right, we watched you know, Get Up and all the ESPN they I mean non stop crawl on the TV and every game, every play every every I mean, all the athletes are doing it, they're all talking about it. The problem is is what does the NBA do now? I mean, you really got to have something either in place immediately or you got to make it where Okay, listen, pretty simple. You're done, you get nailed, You're done forever, you know. I mean, baseball still got their band in the Hall of Fame. I don't know what the hell you do with Shauncey billups now. I mean a lot of people, you know, you're not guilty until you're proven guilty.
Speaker 3: All right, he's guilty.
Speaker 1: I mean, the FBI doesn't bring charges and you're we'll see already, right, you're not.
Speaker 3: Gonna put egg on their own face? Right?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 5: Elf, this this really hits home here in Cincinnati because of a certain baseball player who shall go nameless. But yeah, but but you think about all the stuff that's happened over the years and what the possibilities could have been and what you know, we all want to believe, right, we want to believe that this is pure and these guys aren't doing anything beneath board and that everything is you know, right level level. But man, humans are humans, right, Yeah?
Speaker 6: And you know, it's like I've been asked for years. I mean, doing a talk show for so long. You know, everybody, Hey, what do you want to play fantasy football? I said, no, They go, why not? It's fun? I said, because it changes the way I watched the game. I start watching players instead of the game. I want to enjoy the game. And I found the one or two times I succumb to the begging of fantasy football.
Speaker 3: I'm watching the guy.
Speaker 6: I'm looking at the guy to score. No, I want drama from the football game.
Speaker 3: And uh, I think betting is kind of the same thing.
Speaker 6: You know, people might enjoy the game, but betting on a game adds that extra bit of juice, that extra bit of excitement that some people they can't stop it.
Speaker 3: They can't stop themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know if I've told this too around here, But I got a buddy who and nothing crazy, but he bets, you know, a decent amount of games weekend. I'm like, to your point, I'm like, I can't really enjoy the game. Like if I got a lot of money on it, is I don't. I wouldn't want to do it. He goes, I don't know how you watch a game without gambling on it. Right, He's like, I'm more engaged in it I I watch it. But but the other thought I had too was this mark was I feel like today, more than ever, people are there's always conspiracy theories that the NFL is rigged and baseball is rigged, and the referees are are doing this and that, and which I think is largely overall bs. But but things like this don't help that case, right, They don't help the case that it's a pure sport and the and the athletes decide the outcomes, that sort of thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, we want to believe it is pure. We want to believe, you know, the right things happened. I yeah, the human element of the game. That's why we bitch and moan about, you know, not having umpires in baseball. How could you possibly do? That takes away the human element. Okay, they'll still find a way to, you know, to do what they want to do.
Speaker 5: To talk machines and the cheating, right or machines there. Right, they programmed that that robot umpire to call that a ball.
Speaker 1: With the with that elf. We will let you go.
Speaker 5: Man, Thanks so much, fellas, have a great weekend.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much.
Speaker 5: Appreciate Mark Elf and bye, And it's true. Are we all like little kids in that regard? We all want to believe that it's uh, it's pure and that these guys walk on clouds.
Speaker 1: And I think it is in my experience it is for the most part. But things like this don't don't help that. They don't help ease some of those concerns that people have if there's somebody's gambling on it and you know that that sort of thing. So anyway, we'll see how this goes. I imagine ed we'll be talking about this. We talk about this next week, and by the time we talk about it on Monday Tuesday, it's going to be there's even more people going to be involved in this deal. Yep er with that we take in with traffic and weather, what is.
Speaker 8: Going on from the UC Health Traffic Center, Mammograham Saved Lives called five win three five eight four pink. Schedule your annual mammogram with uc heuse Expert Team five one three five eight four pink. We have seventy one northbound after bridge breakdown on the left shoulder Cruiser there in Kentucky at seventy five northbound at Donaldson where we have a crash. So downs back to right around the Florence exit and it's about a seventeen minute to lay now to seventy five westbound after the comb Sale Bridge got that breakdown on the right shoulder. Been there for a while and the cleanup continues. Seventy five southbound from ron Reagan Highway to Norwood, Laurel Is sewing and also southbound seventy five Shepherd and Rona Reagan Highway is still sluggish now on seventy five northboind you're gonna find heavier pockets. From Mitchell to Ronald Reagan Highway about a ten minute drive southbound seventy five Vestor Charles and the Brent Spence stop and go nor with lateral between Paddock and seventy five filling in my brick shrimp. News Radio seven hundred WDYLWD.
Speaker 5: One hundred WLW Weather Center Ford and I partly cloudy and thirty three for tomorrow clouds and fifty seven it is fifty five now. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 16: The Bengals are looking to install a new fly zone when the Jets touchdown in Cincinnati and the Orange and Black Ground the Green and White, or will New York take off with the wind? One thing I do know, turbulence is guaranteed. I don't doo will with turbulence. I may need a barf bag. Coverage begins Sunday at nine am, stream for free on the new and improved iHeartRadio app or on seven hundred WLW, home of the Best bank is coverage.
Speaker 1: This report is sponsored by land Evolution Haunted Screen Parks.
Speaker 5: All right back here on the radio Hillbilly Heist. We like to call the Eddie and Rocky.
Speaker 1: Show a second every day for us, big time, big time. But ed, look the Bengals fresh off that Thursday night win over the Steelers, a lot of juice in this town. Joe Flacco, Jamar Chase, thirteen catches. Things kind of turned around for the Cincinnati Bengals. And I hate to say it. Consider we're going to talk to our next guest, but if you're going to plan a next opponent of play to play coming off that Steelers win, who do we need to schedule to get try to get another win? It would be the New York Jets. Unfortunately, and join us right now. He's an ESPN reporter covering the New York Jets. Rich Samini, Rich, how are you partner?
Speaker 4: Great goo to be with you guys.
Speaker 1: Very good, so Rich, I guess, Look, how is the state of affairs up in New York with his Jets team oh and seven? I know Aaron Glenn, I mean, I know a lot of folks had a lot of you know, thought he could do a great job. Then there's the quarterback situations and just give us the layout, the land and what's going on with this Jets team.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean, I don't think anyone thought they'd be a playoff team this year. But I don't think anyone thought they'd be oh in seven either. I mean, they're just underachieving right now. They do have some good players on the roster, it's not a roster, you know, the cupboard is not bear here. Yet they're playing like an expansion team at times. I mean they're just you know, one week, the offense will do okay and the defense will be poor, and then they'll flip it the next week. That's the sign of a bad team. I thought Aaron Glenn would come in and run a very buttoned up operation in terms of like managing the game and you know, time management, and things like that. But there's been a lot of glitches in that department as well. So the Jets have totally earned their oh and seven.
Speaker 4: Record right now.
Speaker 5: So let me ask you, Rich, I'm talking about different players and whatnot. Obviously Sauce Gardner would a lot of interest here in Cincinnati. And what's his problem right now?
Speaker 17: Well, he's not playing this week.
Speaker 4: He has a concussion, so won't it was?
Speaker 17: Yeah, he did not. He got banged up in last week's game, and you know, it's unfortunate. I know he was looking forward to going back to Cincinnati and he's one of their best players. And it's going to make it a lot harder for the Jets to cover those Cincinnati wide receivers.
Speaker 1: No doubt. But it seems like one of the Jets have been able to do is run the ball with with with Bryce Hall a fantastic running back.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I don't know how much you've watched the Bengals, Rich, but the Bengals can If they've had one consistent problem all year, it's tackling. I mean, they've been a very very poor tackling team all year, which makes you kind of susceptible, how I guess how well do you think that Jets rushing attack and do against the Bengals defense.
Speaker 17: Yeah, that's probably the Jets. The best way to win this game is just to get that running game going. You know, it's been they started off really well this year running the ball. It's kind of been a hit or miss lately. But you know, Breese Hall is a good running back. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, although for some reason they don't need to be throwing it to him as much this year.
Speaker 4: But you're right.
Speaker 17: If the Jets have a game plan, and I'm sure their game plan is heavily leaning on the run game, that's who they want to be anyway. That's as they like to say, it's our DNA. Sometimes it it vanishes on them their DNA for a while, as it did last week against Carolina. But yeah, I totally think they will make a concerted effort to try to pound the rock against that soft Bengals defense.
Speaker 1: And Rich, let me ask you about justin Fields, because I mean, he's a guy. Look, he's got all the tools and he's produced. There's been games. There's a game in I was reading this week. Yeah, twenty twenty three against the Broncos. He throws for three hundred and thirty five. He's had a big game against the Steelers recently. I recall what's been Justin Field's issue here with the Jets this season. Well, part of.
Speaker 17: It is is this that he's with the Jets. I mean, they're just a historically a core team for developing quarterbacks, and they thought they could take his talent and harness it and make him better than he has been in the past. But that has not been the case.
Speaker 4: He's actually been worse than he has been in the past.
Speaker 17: I don't think they really coach him that well.
Speaker 4: I think they're trying to run a dropback offense. It's basically like the Detroit offense.
Speaker 17: You know, their coordinator came from the Lions, and they're trying to make him a drop back quarterback and it's been a disaster. He looks tentative, he's indecisive, he looks lost at times, and so he got benched at half time last week, and now they have not announced who their starter is going to be this week. I think it's going to be Tyrod Taylor.
Speaker 1: That's what I was told.
Speaker 2: Earlier in the week.
Speaker 4: Aaron glenn Is trying to keep this a secret.
Speaker 17: Is if that's going to, you know, cause some problems for the Bengals that I don't really think it matters which quarterback they play well.
Speaker 5: Rich in your opinion, is Taylor an upgrade or is it just almost a punishment at the stage.
Speaker 17: Not a punishment he does, Yeah, I mean he he gives them their best chance to win. I'm talking about Tyrod Taylor. I mean, Field has to be used a certain way. When Fields is running, you know, with the Reid option and scrambling and doing things like that, he can be in effect their quarterback. But they have lost all sense of that their offense. They don't seem to be calling those plays anymore, and Fields when he drops back to pass is basically a liability. And even the owner came out a few days ago and basically, yeah, publicly ripped justin Fields.
Speaker 4: Now what he said was true. I mean it was an accurate, you know, description of Fields's play.
Speaker 3: But you're the owner.
Speaker 17: You don't come out and say stuff like that about one of your players, which is just you know, he just put his foot in his mouth, as he often does. But I think Tyrod gives them their best chance. He can operate from the pocket. You know, he tends to push the ball down field more and so I think their receivers will.
Speaker 3: Be more involved.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 17: The one thing there though, is that Garrett Wilson is not playing, you know, their best receiver. He's out this week with a knee injury.
Speaker 1: Now now Rich among the conversations in New York, is there real concern that this team could go own seventeen? I mean he played the Bengals this week, which, look, the Bengals have not been a great team this year. Cleveland next week, you know, always a tough opponent than at New England. Baltimore looks like they could probably turn it around. You would think they would. Is there real concern that that'll happen? Is this team that? I mean? I guess rudderless at the moment.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I can't. I can't really argue with everything you said there. I mean, they're they're just not blame not playing good football. Now, they've been in games. It's not like they're getting blown out. They they've had five games where it's been one score games and they just have not been able to find the winning formula. Can they go oh in seventeen? I mean, that's really hard to do. No one's ever got to in seventeen. My sense is that they'll probably get a win or two along the way. You know, they have you know, the bye week next week. Then they have Cleveland's for all their issues. Cleveland has a really good defense. I don't see how the Jets are going to score a touchdown against Cleveland. And so they have Miami coming up there.
Speaker 1: That Miami looks like that.
Speaker 17: Yeah, yeah, Miami might be worse and worse shape than the Jets. And they play New Orleans later on, so there are a couple opportunities. I don't big go go oh in seventeen.
Speaker 5: All right with that, Rich, we will see what happens on Sunday. Thanks so much, man, all right, you're welcome.
Speaker 3: Have a good day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Rich Samanie, he reports on the Jets for ESPN.
Speaker 1: S He's just when you think it's bad, ed, there's always someone else that has a little worse.
Speaker 5: Well, as soon as he said Miami, I was like, well, hey, look there's a dub.
Speaker 1: And it's so funny because not two years ago, three years ago, Mike McDaniels. Oh, he's the new Age coach, and he's cool, he's you know, he's different, he thinks, and yeah, I think he is all those things. I just think he's a play caller more than a coach, I still think. And it's I feel like I've been proven right over and over and over. A coach that kind of lays the law down a little bit is usually going to have success over the guy who's just the players coach. Even Tony Dungee, he was not a yeller.
Speaker 5: He was not an intimidating guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but but he also was was no bs like he had. He had his own just kind of a certain way of of being tough about things. And it was just very kind of you know, like like very matter of fact and not yelling at you. But but he'd lets you know if you weren't playing well, right like you know, So his style is maybe different, maybe he's maybe he is the outlier to some degree, but yeah, I just think that the coaches that you know kind of manage every everything and you get the coordinator to call the plays, and you know, I feel like that works, and uh so that the Dolphins certainly don't have.
Speaker 5: See I was going to ask you about Dungee in regard to he seems like the dad that you wouldn't want to disappoint.
Speaker 1: Oh totally yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like he doesn't have to yell at you, like you know, you do something screwed up and he just looks saying, he goes, man, I thought you were better than that.
Speaker 4: It just help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was I remember being in you know, in a film session and you know something with somebody I forget it was, didn't make a play and you know, mess misattackle something, and you know, one of the defensive coordinators was like, oh, you know, so what happened here? And the players like trying to argue what happened this and that and you know, and and Tony don't. It wasn't even the meeting, but he like walked past the hall, poked his head and he said, well that's just number fifty two not making a play, coach, That's all it is. And he just been like walked out like whoa where where did he come from? And it was just so matter of fact. You know, it's like even though you think he's not watching and engaged, he e moos certainly is so. Yeah, he had his own way of.
Speaker 5: Doing it with that way, check in with traffic and weather. What is going on from the U SEE.
Speaker 1: Health Traffic Center.
Speaker 8: Mammo Graham Saved Lives call five one three five eight four pink schedule your annual mammogram? Do you see Health Sexpert Team five one three five eight four pink traffic on the seventy five have you as you make your way southbound Shepherd to Ronald Reagan Highway and we've got also delays between Eser Charles and the Brent Spence Bridge northbound seventy five Mitchell Torontald Reagan Highways about a fifteen minute drive. Crew is still working on that breakdown on two seventy five westbound after the Combs Hail Bridge. We have that delay on two seventy five with the Carrol Cropper Bridge westbound as traffic is sluggish back to Highway four ninety five in Kentucky about a twenty five minute delay. Five minutes slow down for two seventy five southbound at the Carroll Cropper Bridge and sow doowns back to US fifty. In Indiana, seventy one is heavy Norwood Lateral Torontald Reagan Cross County Highway North boyt about a ten minute trip my brick shrip. News Radio seven hundred W d WELW.
Speaker 5: The forecast from the seven hundred WLW Weather Center Ford and I partly cloudy and thirty three for tomorrow clouds and fifty seven it is fifty five now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: Is it true Tom Brenneman was the bass player in a punk band called Mush Potato. That is mostly not true. Is it true that Tom Brenhaman can speak to dolphins but chooses not to because of their attitude? Sounds possible but not true. Is it true that listening to Tom Brenhaman and makes your morning better? That one is true.
Speaker 11: Please join me in the morning for the latest news, weather, traffic, sports, at a truck load more to get your day started.
Speaker 9: Right Tom Brennaman, Monday morning at five am on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 18: This report is sponsored by One Hour Heating and Air Conditioning.
Speaker 1: As tim's begin to drop, it's time all right, ed, You might be interested in this story here and I feel like you're seeing this more and more. You know, the obviously pod is legalized it in a lot of different places. Right, Yeah, far taken once or twice, but a Washington, DC tenant was ordered to stop smoking marijuana after his neighbors sued him and claimed that the constant wheed smoke was ruining her quality of life. This woman, seventy six years old, said her neighbor Thomas Kackett, who is seventy three, which is awesome, smoked marijuana quote twenty four to seven, and that the foul and pungent odor made her violently sick. The woman claimed in court papers that her niece had not visited her her place, wouldn't come over and visit her aunt because of his constant smoking. Now, a DC Court of Appeals ruled that Cackett must quit smoking weed. And what could be a landmark decision across the United States, And I think people that don't smoke that would be one of their number one pet peeves with it is the odor of it. I mean you can't. You can't drive through downtown Cincinnati or frankly, any city. We all smell it all over the place, and frankly a lot of times, even like going going down the highway at times, which is odd to me, but you're like, oh, that guy in that car right.
Speaker 5: There, dude, I was driving down I seventy five today and I think we all know how busy I seventy five is. And it wasn't like I was stuck in traffic. We're going sixty five miles an hour and I smelled weed wasn't in my car. I don't know how you smell it going that fast in an open road.
Speaker 1: And the thing with me again, I don't not my thing, But there's so many other ways to do it, right with the gummies and the vapes and the they got the drinks. Now, it's like you can do it without being a burden on everybody else, in this case, your neighbor. I don't know why you folks wouldn't do that.
Speaker 5: Well, it's what gets me is how powerful and pungent it is, though, you know what I mean. Yeah, back in the day, you could, you know, be smoked a little weed in your bedroom, maybe your parents. Your parents probably couldn't even smell it out in the living room, but of course you were in there smoking the joint, blowing the smoke out the window and whatnot. Of course I wouldn't know that. But but the fact that you can smell that, like, like I said, driving down the freaking interstate.
Speaker 15: Man.
Speaker 1: That's strong stuff. Yeah, but but no, I think this is, as I said, a landmark case here, because you know, this kind of setting a little bit of a precedent here for some other folks that I think would would tend to agree with its lady.
Speaker 5: So, speaking of driving down the interstate rock, I was with my lovely wife, and they have those message boards, right, yeah, the thinks you know what I mean, the billboards, the traffic boards. Yeah, they could say, you know, blah blah blah ten minutes, you know, the wreck on the right shoulder up, you know, two miles ahead, or whatever the case might be. But they also have those little messages, right, those cute little messages like a post it note or something hang in there, baby, you know, like those old things. Right, But they always have cute little messages like plenty kind of things. And the one that I saw today and I just wanted to talk to my friends who do that. Okay, it says teen fourteen drivers texting and driving is totally cringe, or right distracted it's distracted driving is totally cringe. And I looked at dep and I said, so you got a sixteen year old kid driving down the road.
Speaker 1: He looks up to read that's hed and he goes, what does that say? Boom gets many ass Yeah reading that thing, I think that message is the most cringe thing of all is correct trying to be cool, trying to be hip. And that's why don't use some of those most of those words. You know, I knew if I they're out a whatever the latest lingo is by the kids, it would look dorky.
Speaker 5: So well, that's the thing that my wife said that to me today, She said, isn't that pass do now?
Speaker 1: I don't know, our kids.
Speaker 5: Don't live on home anymore, but it seems like anytime a word becomes something like that becomes cool, it's not cool in two weeks.
Speaker 1: Right. I'll tell you the one my boys use a lot, and I actually do think it's it's I actually like it as no cap no cap like, which means I'm not I'm not messing with you, right, Like you know Dan, you know, went to school and this kid just walk up and punch this other kid no cap. You know, you're like, you know, so I try to work that one in a little bit. Actually, I actually like that one. Or sus sus sus is one. They say that one as well.
Speaker 5: Coming up talk about sus. Our good friend Jenn Styers is going to join us and talk the dating world. But that's after the news. Right now, News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: News Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 12: Wall Street ends the week way up. This is the five o'clock report. I'm Matt Reese breaking now. Records broken for the stock market today. Encouraging news is the reason About inflation, Dow was up over five hundred points at times. Annual inflation rate hit three percent in September. Consumer Price index with an increase of three tenths of a point last month. That is slightly less than what economists were predicting. That index is what sets the cost of living adjustment for people on Social Security next year.
Speaker 19: The average social Security check is only about two thousand dollars, and with next year's cost of living increase set at two point eight percent, that averages out to be about fifty six dollars more a month starting in twenty twenty six. Many seniors say, like everybody else, they're paying a lot more for food, housing, and gas, leading seventy seven percent of people over age fifty to tell the AARP in a recent survey, they don't think an increase of around three percent is going to do much good.
Speaker 1: That's ABC.
Speaker 12: Sherry preston the closing numbers on Wall Street in just a moment. The first we need to check your drive home, latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 8: From the UC Health Traffic Center, Mammo Graham Saved Lives called five wine, three five eight four Pink. Schedule your annual mammogram with UC Health ex per Team five one three five eight four pink. Freeway traffic overall moving pretty well with no major delays, just the usual afternoon slowdowns. We've got seventy one sewing Norwood Lateral Torontald Reagan Cross County Highway by a ten minute trip. Southbound. Seventy five is sewing from Shepard Torontald Reagan Highway and from Messer Charles to the Brent Spence northbound seventy five Mitchell Toronald Reagan Highway about a fifteen minute drive. The construction delays on two seventy five. If the Carol Cropper Bridge continue, we've got about a twenty five minute slowdown for traffic westbound, with delays back to Highway four ninety five in Kentucky. The southbound A way is what a five minute? So I'm back to US fifty in Indiana. Seventy one traffic here sewing southbound tap to the Brent Spens Noe with lateral westbound paddic to seventy five sluggage my Ricks Ryveneers Radio seven hundred double do illub.
Speaker 14: Now the latest forecast from the No Fear Dentist Weather Center Advanced Dentistry. The thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck. We're here for you, No Fear Dentist dot Com and.
Speaker 11: The tri State Weather Tonight, we're clouding up. We'll see a morning low of thirty eight degrees and maybe some frost on Saturday, early sun, then clouds in a high of fifty seven at night, mostly cloudy, a low down to forty three on Sunday and early chance of a shower. Otherwise mostly cloudy, a high of fifty eight from your severe weather station A nine first W Chief Meteorologist Steve Rawley News Radio seven hundred WL.
Speaker 12: We're at sixty degrees. This Game day forecast built by American Home Tech, storm ready roofs built to last Americanhome Tech dot Com Sunday pay Corse Stadium Bengals and Jets. Slight chance of rain, otherwise mostly cloudy fifty seven for the High Sharonville the site of a sobriety checkpoint tonight. The police will be set up on Lebanon Road near I two seventy five that starts at eight thirty runs for a couple of hours. It'll be on the scene looking for people intoxicated behind the wheel. A warning of flight delays and disruptions only getting worse starting next week, The Transportation Secretary saying most air traffic controllers have been showing up for work despite knowing they will not be paid during the government's shutdown, but Sean Duffy says he anticipates that's going to change on Tuesday, of the day controllers were supposed to be getting a new paycheck. Duffy expects far more disruptions starting on Tuesday. Canada pausing its TV ad about tariffs after President Trump got angry, Trump cutting off trade negotiations with Canada after the ad used former President Reagan's warnings about tariffs. Today, the Ontario Premier said he's going to pause the ad after World series games this weekend so the trade talks can resume. Former Alabama and Bengals quarterback AJ McCarran wants to be lieutenant governor of Alabama, announcing he is going to run as a Republican in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: A video posted on YouTube playing in the NFL reinforced the importance of achieving goals bigger than ourselves.
Speaker 12: AJ McCarron, a native of Mobile, Alabama, says that state's conservative and cultural values are under attack from every direction.
Speaker 15: Seven one hundred WLW sport Tyler's Basketball Tonight exhibition plays Cincinnati Bearcats at Arkansas. Also, it'll be preseason number one Perdue up against number nine Kentucky six o'clock on ESPN. Fifteen thirty College Footbaltimore twenty first rate of Cincinnati Bearcats co leaders in the Big twelve take on Baylor action right here on seven hundred WLW Tomorrow at three o'clock. Bengals update brought to you by Good Spirits at Party Town thirteen locations in Northern Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Bengals and Jets.
Speaker 15: Sunday Best Bengals coverage ninety and with the Arnold Carriers pregame Sports talk show presented by Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky Toyota Dealer's Life in the Holy Grail with kickoff at one Bill Edison, seven hundred WW Sport.
Speaker 12: Record highs Wall Street Today after encouraging news about inflation and the expectation of the Fed may cut interest rates even more. This year, the Dow, the SNP, and the Nasdaq all setting records down. Gained four seventy two to forty seven thousand and two to oh seven s and P five hundred up fifty three, Nasdaq up two sixty three, five oh six. Your next news is at five thirty Matt Reese News Radio seven hundred WYLW.
Speaker 18: This report is sponsored by your local stables has hot deals in super low prices.
Speaker 1: Love Guru, Is that fair enough? That's that's understelling it. I mean it's like love Queen, love love her to the stars.
Speaker 3: About you?
Speaker 5: Should you know what? We've never asked her? I bet she was a homecoming.
Speaker 1: Queen or a prom queen, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 5: Gen Steyers, did you indeed hold those crowns?
Speaker 20: I love it, I hold all those crowns. How could I'm in the best place ever? I mean, who gets those kind of compliments. Love guru that you know. I mean, it's amazing. Let's just keep going out all day.
Speaker 5: It's the reason our wives love us so much, because, man, we know how to lay on the butter.
Speaker 1: Also we have experienced laying it on it.
Speaker 5: In other words, were full of crap, Jenna, couple of things we wanted to talk to you about.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 5: Now, I don't think this is anything new. The one in I think it was one in three. Shoot, I have it right here in front of me. One, yeah, one and three gen Z singles admit to going out on a date so they could get a free meal. Now, I've been out on dates before, well back in the day. The best I can remember where you knew that basically they were only in it for the for the spaghetti ditder or whatever.
Speaker 20: But are they calling that the foody call a foodie call instead.
Speaker 1: Of a booty Calln't I didn't see that. That's that's clever, though I do like that.
Speaker 20: I'm shocked at one slip past you guys, how But yeah, well, age old trick. I mean, it's not like this hasn't been going on forever. However, I'm sure that now that there's you know, the economy has said what it was, it is. Uh, you know, you're probably seeing a little more of that. And there are women and they are I guess they're talking about it on TikTok, even though I'm not on TikTok, but they're talking about how they do it all the time and bragging about it. So it's it's definitely a thing. And there are some women that do it all the time, so always have see how they make up, that's how they survive.
Speaker 1: I would weigh it like, I mean, okay, what is it? You know, probably all together between getting ready and going out and going I mean you're talking two or three hours is two or three hours worth you know getting Uh yeah, as Ed said, some some grilled chicken somewhere. I don't know. I guess some women see it that way.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 20: You know, it's interesting because a lot of women will say, well, you know, I go out and buy a new outfit and you know, spend all the time getting ready that they at least owe me a meal, So you know, you hear that, and hey, I will say this though, I think we're also you know, looking at trends with the with the younger women. You know the guests. Are there ones that are on tuty calls, yes, and looking for a free meal. Yes, but there's there's a lot of these women too that want to slip the check. So, you know, it's that's that's been something that we've seen on the rise lately too, and especially if the woman isn't interested in the man, she doesn't want to owe him anything, and so well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my next part is, yeah, you would feel like he owed somebody something. But yeah, if they split the check. We live in the age of women empowerment. If they want to do that and feel better about themselves, that's that's fine.
Speaker 20: Yeah, yeah, you know that is that is one of the most interesting questions. And to hear men men especially be all over the board about it. Like there's some men that will say, not a chance that you're going to pay for this, And then there's other men that don't mind at all. You can split the check, pay for it. They don't care. They're like, oh, thanks, I've run into that too. I've been on you know, meetings or something. It doesn't matter who calls it. I'll go to get my card out. Oh thank you. The guy will say, I'm surprised that men allow that. You know, I'm shocked. I mean, at least at least you know, object and let her.
Speaker 1: Insist, Yeah, you should put back once or twice. No, you know, I'm not going to let you do that. No, no, no, I'm okay.
Speaker 5: It's like if you go out with your buddies and the one guy goes, oh, dude, I got I got these beers or whatever. You go, oh man, let me, I'll get mine, and they go no, I insist, okay, perfect, cool, fine, go ahead, get to the next time.
Speaker 3: Right right.
Speaker 20: Yeah, So I know, and I've, like I said, I've been out with guys too as friends, and they would look at me like if I could pull my card, don't you dare touch your walk, don't you go near that, you know, And so you know it. I think people are all over the board when it comes to this, But I do think men need to I do you think men need to watch out? I think that there are plenty of women that are looking for a free meal, or a free Louis Baton, or are a free trip to you know, Paris, France.
Speaker 21: So yeah, it escalated quickly. Who isn't looking for a free driven Paris. I'll charm somebody. I'll charm it. Go to Paris, man.
Speaker 5: But by the same token, Jen Rocky and I were talking about it, and I talked to you a little bit about it, and then text the other day is that, yeah, you're looking for a free meal. Well, I'm looking for a prostitute for the cost of a cheeseburger and fries.
Speaker 1: So there you go, Steven, Steven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 20: Hey, guys, you know it's funny. I just was talking to somebody about this. You know, women these days are not even pretending to want a pre meal. I mean, I actually, I don't know if I've sent the text messages to you. A guy friend of mine forwarded me some messages and he said, I'm getting these from women lately, and then other guys have confirmed oh yeah. When I posted them, they're like, oh yeah, I'm getting them too. These women are telling the guys not only do I if you want to date me, do I require that we go to a four or five star restaurant at least? But if you date me, I'm telling you up front, I get a monthly siphon, I get a you know, they get paid monthly and oh Yeah, it's crazy, but I've seen it, like I'm seeing these text messages and it's insanity.
Speaker 1: Yeah anyway, Yeah, I mean only beta males would would go after a woman that makes all those demands. I mean, if ed knows my fascination with when Stefani, she will always be the love of my life. And Susan, that stupid country singer, you know she law if she's if she gave me said Rock, you know what, I want to give you a shot, but you know what you're gonna be paying. You gotta pay me a monthly stipend and I gotta be like, no, I'm not gonna do that. I got a little, you know, a little integrity here myself. I got a little I think of myself a little bit. We're not going to do that.
Speaker 5: It's crazy you're talking to us. I know exactly what would happen. Well, I really don't want it, but she'd be like, Rock, it's your it's your shot. You've been waiting your whole life since you were a teenager.
Speaker 1: And you was teen years old, man, much telling you. I just can't believe women. Women act like that. That's I mean, there's there's not many men out.
Speaker 3: There that.
Speaker 1: Kid. Yet that sounds like that to me.
Speaker 5: So what about this thing? What about jen throning? That's a we We talked a couple of weeks ago about shreking, where you date an ugly person because they're going to treat you better.
Speaker 1: Now, throw, I think is the opposite of that. What is that.
Speaker 20: Throning is when they're just focused on somebody's social status, so they're more interested in what you can do for them versus anything else. So it's, you know, they're attracted to somebody that's got a time. I see this all the time, a title or money or you know, has the ability to get them a great job. Yeah, I'm telling you right now, I see a lot of this in Dallas, Texas.
Speaker 1: But this is not something new either. I mean women have been going after high high profile men for a long long time to elevate their social status, right.
Speaker 20: One hundred one hundred percent. None of this stuff is new. They just like to come up with new names for it, you know. I Mean that's that's all. And you know, TikTok's all about, you know, trying to create a trend or something, you know, some kind of viral trend. So they name it, but yeah, no, people have been doing this forever. Uh you know, of course, mainly women to men. You know, gosh, guys just have to be where, don't they. After today, all your guy listeners are going to be like, oh my god.
Speaker 5: Well, let me ask you, is it Do guys do this at all? Because you're basically trying to be a jigilow or something. I don't know what you call that, but yeah, if you're going after a rich woman just because hey, it's going to make me look good, I mean I would think that if you go okay, I like, well, okay, rocky case in point, Gwen Stefani, guess what you are start telling people, well, I left my wife and family, but now I'm with Gwen Stefani. You don't think all your friends are going to go bro do bad about your family.
Speaker 1: But that's cool, that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 20: Well, let's just I mean, honestly, I think there's there's plenty of men that that are looking for women that can support them. I mean, I've seen it a lot more lately than I've been ever in the past. Uh, in the past couple of years, men seem to have gotten very comfortable letting a woman pay for things and support him. So I feel, I mean, I see a lot of it. Again, I don't know it's just because I live in Dallas, but there are a lot of wealthy women, and there are a lot of wealthy men, and I do see it happening amongst the women too, or they're getting they're getting the same thing. I have to tell some of my wealthier women to be careful, you know. Just you know, that thirty five year old guy that's hot and you're sixty five, there may be something else, you know, besides your dashingly good looks that is attracting him. So yeah, but it does happen.
Speaker 1: It shouldn't be that way though, right. It should be the man kind of, you know, being the you know, I want to say, the provider in it all. But you know it's kind of I think you're a little more tradition, no, correct, I am?
Speaker 20: I am? I do I And you know I do see two. I do see women and men, but mostly women saying that I have a lot of money. The women will say, I don't care if the guy makes less money than I do, or just earns a good living, as long as he's self sufficient, you know. So he's not, you know, trying.
Speaker 1: To live off right right. Yeah, yeah, how he's got something going on. It doesn't have to be my level. But as long as he's just not sitting there being a deadbeat.
Speaker 20: Yeah, But then you know, there's all kinds of problems that go into that, uh issue when a woman is flipping the bill for everything, So she wants to go to we'll say Paris because that's our city today. She wants to go to Paris, and she wants somebody to go with, and he can't afford the plane ticket. So you know, she's sugar mama. So uh yeah, there's plenty of guys that are comfortable doing that. So yes, it works both ways. I mean, I guess we have moved into an area of relationships where there's a lot of arrangements. They've become more popular over the last decade or half a decade, I should say, But but arrangements are a lot more popular than they used to be. So for us that really do value relationships, and I know you guys love your wife so much, you guys, I think it's amazing how sweet your relationships are with your wife and how often you talk about them and tell stories and it's amazing and you still value them. But people just aren't valuing relationships like they used to. And it makes me sad. I mean not to say that there aren't people that still are that still do, but we're, you know, we're we are moving into a society of Okay, the arrangement's okay, I'm getting what I want, You're getting what you want. It's fine.
Speaker 1: Why is that? Is it just overall materialism? Is it social? Is this social media thing? Or are we going to blame that? Like, like, what is that? Why don't people want real relationships?
Speaker 20: Yeah? You know, I think that. I think that a lot of people have given up on love. We've seen you know, people overdoing it on the dating apps, getting burned out, not finding the right person, not thinking the right person exists, so just settling for an arrangement that something that makes them feel good, so they don't they kind of take all their expectations off the table because they've learned that they they or they learned that they weren't going to get them met even though they still could get met. They're just not looking in the right place. But I think online dating has really done that. And then of course the online dating is done to society. Social media has done to society and made people think that everything's so easy to get and there's ten more around the corner, so people don't value what they have, you know, to say about.
Speaker 5: It, Yeah, gris is always greener, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I do think I've always said this. I think social media has done that. The Internet has done that. You know, in the fifties, you know, most of the time you were gonna you know, date and marry someone within your county because you didn't see all these Instagram models rolling all over Facebook and stuff. But but now, like you, if you go to a city, you know, if you go to Nashville and you'll look in your in your Instagram, you will see like, you know, Hollywood looking girls running around in Nashville, Like, well, hell, I can get one of these too. This has got to be easy. And of course they got twelve filters on and all that sort of thing, so you you pass up the thing that's actually good and keep chasing the thing that isn't actually real one hundred percent.
Speaker 20: One hundred percent. Yeah, and so much of so much of what people put on social media or accounts. As a persona it's not who they are, and yeah, it's it's definitely gotten a lot harder. I don't want people that are listening to your show to lose hope, though, because there really are still a lot of good people out there still looking for the right thing. There are, Uh they're just a little harder to find because they're not on the dating apps and they're not you know, blaunching it on social media. So you just have to look in different places, and you know, and look harder.
Speaker 5: All right with that, Jen, we will let you go. People want to find out more about it, what it is you do?
Speaker 1: Where can they go?
Speaker 20: Lovegen dot com, it's my website. Thanks, guys, have a good weekend.
Speaker 1: Jan You're the best. We love you too, Love you to you guys.
Speaker 7: See.
Speaker 5: Uh no, she's great, man, he's the best. And with that, and we're talking about you down in Nashville.
Speaker 1: Well, well we'll talk off the airpact. Yeah, you're on the team.
Speaker 4: Do there.
Speaker 5: But right now we check in with traffic and weather, what is going on and from.
Speaker 8: The UC Health Traffic Center. Mamma Graham Save lives called five win three five eight four pink schedule your annual mammogram Sexpert team five one, three, five, eight four Pink two seventy five west bound of Wit and left Linge taking up with a crash. I've got to leave us back to Princeton Pike here at stop and go and cruise around the scene. Two seventy five west after the Combes Hill Bridge. We have to break down here A seventy five southbound Azer Charles the Brent Spence in northbound seventy five Mitchell to Ronald Reagan Highway Slaggish seventy one northbound Norwood lateral to Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway. Ten minute drive. Rick Strapreneurs Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 5: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW Weather Center, Ford and I Party cloudy and thirty three for tomorrow clouds and fifty seven It is fifty five Now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 22: The Football Bear Cast have set the trap in Knibbert and are ready to snare a victory from the Bears. Will you see beat Baylor or get entangled in the trap? It's a big twelve conference clash. Catch the call live tomorrow at three pm on seven hundred WLW or stream for free on the New and improved iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 18: This report is sponsored by Staples. Your local Staples has hot deals and super low prices throughout the store on everything for your business, and right now it's Steeples