Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again, Rigo running back.
Speaker 1: To get him on the show called eight six six n eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 2: Last day, What a game by Yoshi Yamamoto on the South side of Chicago as the Dodgers beat the White Sox seven to one and Yama Moto this close to the first perfect game in Dodger history since Sandy Kofax did it against the Chicago Cubs in the sixties, and also becoming or this close to becoming the first Dodger individual pitcher to pitch a no hitter since Clayton Kershaw in twenty fourteen. In fact, the anniversary of that no hitter is coming up on June eighteenth. But unfortunate sequence of events, if you want to call that. In the eighth and ninth inning, Yamamoto had two outs in the eighth inning, a routine ground ball by Chase Mydrath to Mookie Bats a three hopper that Mooki played extra safe. If you go back and watch the replay, he was playing it extra safe. I've heard Mooki practice and teach, and he's always talking about charging and presenting the glove when you allow the ball to bounce three times. And the reason why I'm talking about the number of bounces. Hall of Famer and maybe the greatest defensive shortstop in the history of the game, Ozzie Smith said he used to count the number of bounces before it got to him, and that's how he would time making those incredible plays. But three hops, if you're worried about the infield, then you don't want to allow more hops to have the variable of that infield play. But if you look at the throw before and the way Mookie played that ground ball for the second out of the eighth inning, he was playing it safe. You don't blame him. He's not a guy that's been playing shortstop that long and he's trying not to ruin a perfect game or a no hitter, and in turn a bat it was a bad hop. If you go back and look at the replay, it did take a bad hop or an awkward hop, but you can't blame the infield. Nobody was talking about the infield until that play, So come on, you're really gonna blame the infield after We never heard anybody talk about it the first seven innings, seven to two thirds of the innings of this game. But I'm here to celebrate Yamamoto, who also did something incredible in the process of this great pitch game, going eight and a third innings allowing just one hit. It was a leadoff home run to Tristan Peters in the ninth inning. Going back to Yamamoto's last start where he were tired the last twenty two that he faced, and then what he did retiring you know the batters up to that two out era, Yamamoto retired forty five consecutive hitters, which is the second longest streak of any pitcher outside of Usemero Petit for the Giants back in twenty fourteen, and Yamamoto has the second longest streak of retiring that many consecutive batters in a row. Forty five consecutive batters, the second most consecutive in the live ball era. So he did almost make history in two ways, a perfect game, a no hitter, and also stealing that record from Usemero Petit. But forty five consecutive retired hitters is pretty good. Eight six, six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. As the phone number, we will hear from Nomar Garcia Para, who was on the set at sports net LA. Who better to hear from than Nomar, one of the greatest shortstops in the history of the game, certainly in the modern era of the game. I would love to hear what he had to say about the play in the eighth inning that wasn't made by Mookie Betts, But we want to hear from Mookie Bets. He was standing in front of his locker. Kirsten Watson caught up with Mookie on sports at LAH.
Speaker 3: Just a Reefian ground ball that I missed. That's not making any excuses.
Speaker 4: When Yoh kind of gave you that tap afterwards in between innings.
Speaker 3: Just obviously he's.
Speaker 4: A special guy, but just to kind of have that support, knowing that you guys are all in this together. What does that just kind of moment mean for you, for this team and just your relationship.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know I mean, you know, I don't think it was.
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously, with the situation going on, it was great, But I don't I think that's winning is the most important thing.
Speaker 3: That's all we care about. Where were you of the perfect game? Very a rare?
Speaker 5: I mean knew everything going on. I mean, didn't have any extra pressure. I said, I'm not making any excuses. I should have made the play.
Speaker 3: What goes through your mind when that play happens? Nothing?
Speaker 5: I mean I did everything I did. I did everything I was supposed to do, just didn't catch the ball.
Speaker 3: Higher hop that last one than you were expecting or.
Speaker 5: I think that's for for any someone else to decide.
Speaker 3: But I should have caught the ball behind them all afternoon. Can you just talk about how well he pitched?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was in his own he's I mean kept it out of the middle, I mean, kept him off balance. I mean that's just Yoshi being Yoshi. You know, I'm glad he's on our team.
Speaker 2: What is it as allowed it like not just this year, like last year and sort of take another Hitters Nottings to have these kind of performances.
Speaker 5: Big, he's just got so many weapons. He's got so many weapons. So many different ways to get you out, and Rush did an awesome job calling pitches back there.
Speaker 3: Smithy does a really good job.
Speaker 5: You know that they did a great job mixing it up, and I mean he's going about each of that difference.
Speaker 3: It's just hard to game plan for.
Speaker 6: Well, you guys knowing Yoshi's when Dave came to get him at the end of his outing on the mound.
Speaker 3: Just good job.
Speaker 5: I mean, nothing really you can say outside of a good job. I think everybody in the world knows he did a good job, So I'm just reassurance.
Speaker 3: Okay, kind of loss in the shuffle here after Yoshi pitched it. Well, but what's a how nice the hell of a show? Head back in lineup and to see him send a jolt to you guys early with that tom Rono, it's great, it's awesome.
Speaker 5: Obviously, he's the best player in the world, So anytime you can get the best player in the road back in your lineup.
Speaker 3: He's definitely gonna help. And he showed it immediately.
Speaker 2: All right, Mookie Bets obviously frustrated that he didn't make that play, but certainly, like you said, not making any excuses, just a disappointing way for that perfect game to end, and nobody feels worse. I can assure you of that. Then move bets. Today's game brought to you by Modello. Modello the mark of a fighter, he said. A couple of things there that obviously stood out. Number one, Dalton Rushing. You got to give him a lot of credit. Will Smith obviously an all star catcher, three time World Series champion, a guy that knows this pitching staff better than anybody. For Dalton Rushing to be behind the play today and not get in the way of Yamamoto, that's basically what you're doing. I mean, Ben ROURTVID did the same thing in Baltimore last year when Yamamoto had a no hitter going into the ninth inning. You're just trying not to get in the way and really just stay and sink and rhythm with your starting pitcher with Yamamoto. And that's what Dalton Rushing did today. That's what Ben ROURTVID did last year in Baltimore. You remember last year, Yamamoto had a no hitter going into the ninth inning, holding on to a slimmer margin of a lead, gives up the no hitter and then Tanner Scott gave up the game. This was a much different situation. The Dodgers had a seven to nothing lead than a seven to one lead. Alex Vesia came into the game needing just to get two outs with a six run lead, and the lead was secured. The win was secured after the Dodgers beat the White Sox seven to one, and Yamamoto was masterful, nearly perfect today on the mound for the Dodgers for a second straight year. Let's hear from Nomar Garciapara, because, honestly, of all the broadcasters on the air today, his voice is going to carry the most weight when it comes to that play in the eighth inning and just that whole situation being at shortstop in a perfect game. Nomar Garciapara, Thank god you were working on a Saturday, Nomar. Here's what Nomar had to say on Sports and at LA after the game today.
Speaker 7: When I saw it, I said, oh, right away, I said, oh, it took a hop on him. I mean we've all been there as infielders. You've been there where that last hop on the dirt you expect it, and Eric Harsels come out the top.
Speaker 3: Spin right well, so that top spin, not that it.
Speaker 7: Necessarily just picks me, but it comes up on you. It comes into your body and you can see where that bar just came.
Speaker 3: That's what.
Speaker 7: And when you slow it down, you're like, how do you miss that?
Speaker 2: But listen, in.
Speaker 7: Real time, it does seem like it either picks up speed, but as it comes up it ends up hitting you on the heel or your arm.
Speaker 1: I saw it right when that hop was and those are.
Speaker 3: The ones you worry about.
Speaker 7: You're like, Okay, it's one of those where you don't know because you kind of say, that's one hop. I hope it's clean, so I can just get my rhythm and throw to first base. At shortstops a lot different save if you're looking at that hop at third base or second base, where sometimes what you can do is you might take one step back because you're thinking, okay, in case that hop, I'll catch it maybe on its way up, or I'm really going to kind of rush and try to get that right before. But at shortstop you don't have that luxury to be on your heels. The rhythm has to just keep going because you have no chance of gathering yourself to make that to make the throw to get them out at first, so that one where you're just going and it just came up on them. Now, to me, it looks different than when I was there, because I noticed the dirt just a different color when I played it scene, like the dirt was darker. I actually liked playing there. It was a little bit different. It was really it was soft.
Speaker 3: They had it.
Speaker 7: They really kept it nice and wet out there, and it was nice. But I can tell it's different, but just from the color itself. So I don't know what it's like now or how it's viewed among the players.
Speaker 2: All right. There was Nomar Garcia Para after the final out today on the desk at Sports and at LA and look, he's not trying to bury Mooky Bets. I'm not trying to bury Mooky Bets. Obviously, nobody wants to point the finger at Mookie Bets. But the reality is he got away. No, Mar said this. You don't want to be on your heels on a ground ball like that at shortstop. You can get away with it at second base to make the adjustments backing up at third base, backing up. But you heard what Nomar had to say there. You don't want to be on your heels. And Mooki got away with it on the prior ground ball, by my draft, he didn't get away with it on that one because he was on his heels and it felt like, you know, uh, he was feeling the pressure of a perfect game and not trying to make the play instead of not trying to mess up the play, and it backfired on him. But look, the Dodgers won. It's it's frustrating right now for Mooki. I'm sure, like I said, nobody feels worse than Mooky about it, and I'm sure he's frustrated about, you know, the hop that it took. But at the end of the day, when the Dodgers get to October, hopefully that's a distant memory. You don't want to have a play like that linger in the mind of Mookie Bets, who is relatively new to playing shortstop. I know it's his second full season there, but that can get into a player's head and you don't need that, especially when Mooki, you know, looking up at the scoreboard and seeing his batting average at one ninety six. Mookie did have three hits today and he did score three times, so the offense is starting to pick up. You don't want a play like that to start to be in the back of his head. You hope that he gets in there tomorrow and he makes you know. You hope the first ball is hit to Mooki Bets. I'll put it that way and he comes up with a clean because no matter how great of a player anybody is, baseball is ninety percent mental. If your Mookie Bets, if you're Wan Castro, if you're Miguel Rojas, if you're Alex Freeland, the game is ninety percent mental. And you don't want to play like that for a guy that's only playing shortstoff for the second full year to be lingering for the next few weeks. So I hope the first round ball, the first pitch put him play tomorrow is right at Mooki Bets, because he'll need that. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number either way. Yamamoto had a chance at a no hitter. Unfortunately, he gives up a leadoff home run in the ninth inning to Tristan Peters, a fastball right down the middle. As soon as I saw the pitch leave his hand and where it was and the swing that Peters was taking. I was like, oh no, oh, yes, that was the only hit of the game. But I'm I'm very certain Yamamoto will have another shot at a no hitter or maybe even a perfect game later this year. Let's go out to see me, Valley, Ben, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 7: Ben.
Speaker 8: Hey, David, thanks for taking my call, and also thank you for the information. I wasn't aware about the forty five consecutive batters retired until you said that, So I did some research because I was I was like, wow, that has to be an anomaly to have forty five consecutive batters without having a perfect game. And well, you said, the guy who holds the record at forty six consecutive batters shares in common with Yamamoto that he did not record a perfect game. But another guy who did get exactly forty five consecutive.
Speaker 6: Batters, Mark Burley.
Speaker 8: Mark Burley. Yeah, he's got the White Sox the perfect game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, I remember that. Yeah. Us Merrow Petite is the record holder with forty six consecutive scoreless innings. He did that wearing a Giants uniform. In twenty fourteen. But Ben, I think we could safely say I felt this way after the World Series, but I can reinforce it that Yamamoto is the undisputed ace of this Dodgers pitching staff.
Speaker 8: Oh absolutely, I mean it's it's been how many times we've been on No Hitter watch with him. You know, it feels inevitable that he will get a no hitter or a perfect game while wearing a Dodger uniform. I can pretty much guarantee it.
Speaker 2: I feel it by the end of the year, Ben, I'll go a little further. Thanks for the phone call, appreciate it. Let's go out to Frank in Long Beach. You're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse. How you doing, Frank?
Speaker 6: He David, thanks for taking my call. What a game by Yamamoto. Man, Wow, we should all be so proud of him.
Speaker 2: Well, if he shows that that Riley's or Phil Trainey's in Long Beach, I hope you pay for his meal.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that'd be great. Hey, a little bit about bench. Oh, David, I'm so tired of Gosh, the media just giving this guy non stop excuses. Why is he batting forth? He's been horrible at the plate for the past two years. He looks like an amateur at shortstop. Let's just be honest. I mean, I understand that he has a lot, that they're paying him a lot of money, and we need to make it seem like he's still the greatest of whatever. But I think we're really just fed up with this nonsense. He belongs on the bench.
Speaker 2: Oh stop it, Frank, you want him on the bench? Yes, that's a little much for me. Look, I can understand the argument if you said, if this continued, and if the ball was coming off his bat this way in a month, that you would move him down in the lineup. I would agree with that if this continued. But I might be the only one that sees it this way. Even though Kyle Tucker has a higher batting average than Mookie Bets, uh, I think Mookie Bets is having better at bats than Kyle Tucker these days.
Speaker 6: Well, I know that's the narrative. I mean, he's been hitting one eighty for the whole year, and it's oh wow, he's making good swings. Wow Bets making.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you listening to the show. But yeah, if I had to choose between Who's seven better at bats these days, Mookie Bets or Kyle Tucker. I'm saying Mookie Bets, which is crazy to say.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, Kyle Tucker is not doing great himself, but at least he's been better than Bets has for the past two years, has he? I'm just well, I don't know about.
Speaker 2: Going back to this year, since the since the All Star break of last year, Kyle Tucker's a two thirty hitter.
Speaker 6: Okay, And what's Bets been since the past two years.
Speaker 2: Well, he had a pretty good September and he's won three World Series with the Dodgers, Franks, So I think that counts for something.
Speaker 6: Used to be pretty good for the Dodgers. But come on, he's thirty three.
Speaker 2: Look, everybody knew this contract was not going to age. Well, you hope that you could get three World Series while he was still in good playing condition, and you did, and you may even get a fourth and a three peet Frank, So I'll have you know. I'm not ready to give up on Mookie Bets season just yet. But hitting fourth is what the Dodgers decided after hitting him second was not the right thing to do. And if it continues to be hovering around two hundred, then I'm with you. He should hit sixth in the lineup.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, he needs to get better at defense, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, you remember who ended the World Series on a double play last year?
Speaker 6: Right, Yes, he had a double play and the World Series. And that's the best thing that he did in the entire World Series. I mean, let's be honest. Okay, that's the best thing that he did was one double play. It happened to come on the last play of the game.
Speaker 2: But it's okay, nothing else really stands out to me right now, Frank, So it's hard to argue that. But nonetheless, you got Mookie Bets for six more years and you're not going to bench him.
Speaker 6: All right, David, thank you very much, have a great day, and go Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Go Dodgers, Frank. Yes, Yamamoto a great pitch game, almost a no hitter, but he gave up a leadoff home run to Tristan Peters. He had a perfect game with two outs in the eighth inning. And look, this is not the first spoiled perfect game by a Dodgers shortstop. Remember Kershaw's no hitter. Many consider it the greatest pitch game in baseball history, even though he did not have a perfect game. Remember Hanley Ramirez. I believe it was in the seventh inning of that no hitter, which should have been a perfect game, Hanley Ramirez lazy throw to Adrian Gonzalez and the perfect game was over right there as well. So I hate when anybody reminds me of Hanley Ramirez, but I can tell you this, Mookie Betts is feeling this a lot more than Hanley Ramirez felt it in twenty fourteen. Let's take another phone call before we take a break. Let's go out to Lakewood. Steve. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Steve?
Speaker 3: Good? How you doing this?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 9: Hey, we're doing it.
Speaker 6: Hey guy, what a great game today.
Speaker 8: God I was hoping for the perfect game, but hey, yeah.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of sports going on today, Steve. So, did you have the Dodger game on flipping back as a secondary sports watching event and then you saw Yamamoto with a perfect game in the fifth or sixth inning, or were you watching this from the beginning on?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: Hey, say, hey, I always Dodger first, and then I go from there.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 9: I like it.
Speaker 2: You know what I love about the World Cup, Steve. It allows me to take really good naps. I don't know. For whatever reason, soccer allows me to take great naps around one or two o'clock in the afternoon when I have it on.
Speaker 8: Hey, that's good, okay, David.
Speaker 2: You take care, Okay, Steve, great talk, Thanks for the talk. Great talk, right there, Steve. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number when we continue on Dodger Talk. More of your phone calls. We have two lines open at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. If you want to talk about the almost perfect game or the almost snow hitter by Yamamoto eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. We'll hear from Mark prior to the Dodgers pitching coach and also the catcher behind the plate today, Dalton Rushing, who helped Yama Moto navigate a masterful performance seven to one the five final score in Chicago against the White Sox, spoiling their eight game home winning streak. The Dodgers get the win seven to one on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy online at AM five seventy, la sports dot com and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David bass Sander.
Speaker 2: Stretching the three to zero pip swings.
Speaker 1: He hits a drive to right field and deep this ball back, This ball's gone.
Speaker 10: Maxwell swinging a sober hammer in the Windy City and it's three nothing Dodgers around number fifteen for Mounsie and evidently Max is feeling better as well. That was an absolute no doubter fastball right down the middle, four hundred and fifteen feet.
Speaker 2: One of two home runs for Max Mounsey today today combined eight hundred and twenty four feet a home runs for Max Munsey, who has sixteen on the season and is leading most National League third basemen in every offensive category, including the home run department. You can vote for Max Munsey and Andy Paez and Otani right now on MLB dot com to get them as starters in Philadelphia because they deserve it. Today, yamamotos cemended his spot on the National League All Star Pitching Staff pitching a phenomenal game, coming this close to a perfect game and no hitter. The perfect game was spoiled in the eighth. The no hitter spoiled in the ninth by a leadoff home run by Tristan Peters, but Yamamoto with seven strikeouts, he gets seven runs of support, and he wins his seventh game of the year. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit AM five seventy lasports dot com, use the keyword home run, enter your name, and you could win. Daniel's Jewelers Own the Dream. One more thing about Mookie Bets. The late great basketball coach Paul Westfall used to tell me all the time about coaches and players in cities. When you sign a new contract and you don't have a lot of local credibility, meaning you haven't done a lot for that fan base. But when you have a player like Mookie Bets, who has built a lot of local credibility, who has won three championships since getting traded to the Dodgers in twenty twenty, and he makes an error during a perfect game in the eighth inning, a game the Dodgers won, how long are you going to marinate in it. It's Mookie Bets. Would you rather not have Mooki Bets on your team for the last six seven years. I would like to not have moved. I would like to have Mooki on my team. So my point is we could talk about this today, but it's not a play that you hold against Mookie Bets the rest of your life. Yamamoto's not It was a bad hop and he didn't play it the right way. He's only been playing shortstop for two full seasons. Whether you think he's good or not, that's the reality at that position. So my point is Mooki's done a lot more good than bad plays like today in a win for the Dodgers. So let's just keep that all in perspective. Let's go out to Corona.
Speaker 6: Lee.
Speaker 2: You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 6: Lee, Hey, David, how's it going.
Speaker 2: It's going well. I mean, I love watching Yamamoto pitch. He was outstanding.
Speaker 11: Agree a couple of points I want to make. I called you I don't know about four years ago, and four years ago I called you since them, but the time made the point. And I'm not coming at Bets's defense on that play, because that's a major leaguer needs to make that play. That's that's for sure. But I told you four years ago at the time when Mike Trout, before he was getting all these entries, I said at the time, Bets is having a better career than Trout. He's won Gold Gloves. Trouts has never won. He had won a championship in Boston then with the Dodgers. And to your point here, like, yes, I don't like the air today. Who does. We wanted a perfect game, and you know people can say, well, Yamamoto gave up the home run anyways, but everything changes if Bets makes that play. We don't know if Yamamoto groves a fastball first pitch all that, but I would for sure take Mookie Bets. No Mookie Bets in twenty twenty, Dodgers have no chance to win that World Series. And a caller previously a few minutes ago made some points. I'll give him that. But Bets did more than pill the routine ground ball double play last year, for the last two outs of the game he had Game six, he drove in two runs. The Dodgers only scored three in that game. They won three to one. And BET's yes, he has not been hitting, but he had a huge clutch hit in Gage six last year, so yes, he should have made the play today. But I'll take Mookie Bets every day, all day. And it kind of reminded me in nineteen eighty when I was a little bit younger, when Jerry.
Speaker 2: Roy what you're gonna say, Yeah, Jerry Royce.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Jerry Royce is on the hill. And and Bill Russell loved Bill Russell, but he's not half the player Mookie was. The Dodgers would have won the eighty one World Series with or without Russell, in which they did. The Dodgers do not win in twenty twenty without Mookie Bets. They don't even have a one percent chance if he's not on that team in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: In some people might I agree with you, Lee, the good. The good of Mookie Bets since twenty twenty outweighs that one play in the eighth inning. And I know last year was a rough go of it for him up until September, but he did turn it on in the postseason, So I agree with you, Leean. I'm glad a fan actually has that type of perspective, So thank you for the phone call and call back sooner than four years. Okay, all right, Lee, thank you for the phone call. Yeah, I'm with him, and it's refreshing to hear a fan have that perspective that you know, obviously, any major league shortstop should have made that play, but Mookie feels worse about it than anybody else. And I don't think it's something that if it was a new player. Let's say Kyle Tucker dropped a fly ball in right field or tried to dive and didn't make the catch and the perfect game was ruined. I can understand a lot more frustration with Kyle Tucker because he hasn't built local credibility with you and in this fan base. But Mookie Betts has done that and then some so three rings. The Dodgers are going for a three p It's not a coincidence. Mookie's been a part of it. So just remember that. Let's go out to riverside, Jeff, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 9: Jeff, Hey, David, how's it go on?
Speaker 11: What a game?
Speaker 2: Great game? Great game?
Speaker 9: So Lee just said that I was nine years old sitting in Candlestick Park when put the ball game Billy cost the lights?
Speaker 6: That perfect game.
Speaker 9: What a thrill my grandmother's first ball game.
Speaker 2: Thought you were at Candlestick Park.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, nine years old, my brother's tenth birthday.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. And Bill Russell has played more games than any La Dodger, if not all time Dodger. I mean, he's the dean. He was the dean of the Dodgers, and Eddy got his nickname boot the ball game Billy for a good reason. Right, come on, Jeff, we're not going to take down Bill Russell in twenty twenty six. Come on, he was. He was one of the more clutch the Dodgers had in the seventies, in those NLCS games.
Speaker 9: If you remember, Oh I remember, well, I was blessed to be able to go to my first World Series.
Speaker 2: So there's no need to call them to boot the game Billy, because that's not I've never heard anybody call him that. By the way, well that's because you're enough. I'm not old enough. But my dad and my uncles were old enough, and they watched every game and told me about every player. They never once referenced referenced Bill Russell. That way, they had the utmost respect for Bill Russell.
Speaker 9: Ask him when you talk to him. It was a name.
Speaker 2: But anyway, well they're dead now, Jeff, I can't ask them. Thanks a lot, Jeff, my dad died.
Speaker 9: Sorry, sorry to hear that.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is awkward now, what's that? This is awkward now?
Speaker 9: Oh well, I'll tell you what. You bring me a toyota that it's got. You got a problem with it, I can fix it really quickly. You bring me it for It's gonna take a minute. Right, A professional athlete is finally tuned. Mookie's been dealing with injuries for the last two years. He's playing shortstop. It absolutely takes additional mental focus that you didn't need to put in the right field because he played it so often. And that's got to take away from the offense a little bit as well. But the other thing is what Mookie's got, what eleven hundred games in his career as a leadoff hitter with a career three hundred average almost as a leadoff hitter. The dynamic of not being a leadoff hitter after being exclusively the lead off hitter your whole career has got to be a huge adjustment, more so than I think anybody talks about. I don't know. I'm not an MLB player, but I can't imagine that you'll switch that.
Speaker 2: Jeff. Oh, Jeff, Jeff, that's fine. And I bought into that to a certain extent because I thought when Otani wasn't going to DH and lead off, you would empower Mookie Betts again being the leadoff hitter. But when you're hitting a buck ninety six and the ball's not flying off your bat, it's to make that argument. Jeff, So, yeah, sorry, I agree with you. I was leaning that way. I agree that it is an adjustment, maybe in the first three months after you're not hitting lead off anymore, but you only lead off once, you only lead off a game once. But I understand what you were saying in that context. But the reality is, it's been a couple of years now that Mookie Bets has not been the leadoff hitter, and the Dodgers have the best player on the planet leading off, and it's gone pretty well, winning back to back championships. But MOOKI, I'm telling you he's good. He's on his way back. I know nobody wants to hear that, but he is on his way back. Offensively, I don't know if he's the thirty home run hitter that he used to be. I don't believe he is, but he certainly should become a gap to gap guy, get hits, get on base because the ball's not flying off his bat the way it used to, but he can still get hits. His bat speed is still there. So let's all keep that in mind as well as we moved through the season. All right, before we say good night, got to hear from the catcher Dalton Rushing, who certainly had a hand in this game today, catching Yamamoto and taking a perfect game into the eighth inning. Let's hear from Dalton Rushing on Sports at LA.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean everything was on makes things a little easier on you. He got strike one a lot from a hitting side. That's very hard to battle lot of a hole against a guy like that with six different pitches. And yeah, obviously I can't say anything else other and it was really, really really fun to work.
Speaker 3: With him today.
Speaker 4: You were in ault last year.
Speaker 3: Hally, when he's having nights like this, whatsworre stands out about? Like when he as he's kind of highly up zero after zero and not having a basement Row. It's just baseball.
Speaker 12: It's uh, it sucks, like you said, two years in a row to lose it like that, it's it's frustrating and sometimes you you kind of feel a little guilty even so, like I said, it's it's just baseball. But yeah, I think just shows you the picture that he is, the amount of times that he can go out there and do something like that and carry a no hitter into the eighth inning, and obviously it's.
Speaker 3: A special talent.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Dalton rushing on sports and at LA A good way to end the show on a nearly perfect game for Yoshi Yamamoto, who goes eight and a third innings, gives up just one hit, and that was a leadoff home run to Tristan Peters in the ninth inning. In the process of this nearly perfect game for Yama Moto, he retired forty five consecutive hitters going back to his last start. That's the second longest streak in the live ball arrow us Merrow Petit of the Giants back in twenty fourteen, holds the record. He retired forty six consecutive hitters, So all in all, a great day for Yamamoto. And the Dodgers as Yamamoto goes eight and a third throws one hundred and nine pitches, wins his seventh game of the year, has seven strikeouts, and the Dodgers beat the White Sox seven to one. The Dodgers took two out of three in Chicago, or excuse me, the Dodgers took two out of three at P and C Park earlier on this road trip. They're looking to win this series tomorrow with Emmit Sheen on the mound going up against Eric Fetti. Our coverage begins at ten am. First pitch tomorrow at eleven ten with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett from rape Field in Chicago. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald beck at our back at our broadcast booth at rate Field in Chicago. Thanks to Colin Yee back at our burd Banks Studios, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score the Dodgers defeat the White Sox seven to one. Have a great rest of your Saturday. Be safe, see us