Speaker 1: Love.
Speaker 2: This is Bengals pep Rally, presented by Just Bairn Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network Paycre. Paycor is proud to be the official hr software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering Health Best Care for the Best Fans. Kettering Health, Official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 3: Good afternoon, everybody, and welcome to the Bengals pep Rally Show live from me on the Rhine Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. I'm Dan Hord with Dave Lapham. We are here until six o'clock tonight as we get you set to the Bengals and Green Bay Packers coming up on Sunday at lambeau Field beginning at four twenty five in the afternoon. Linebacker Orren Burks will be our guest later in the show. He is going to be here today from five to six, so if you'd like to get an autographed or get a picture, Arren Burkes will be our special guest the final hour of our three hour show. Joe Flacco met with the Cincinnati media today for the first time since Tuesday's trade. We will hear from him momentarily, but up first on the show this afternoon. My conversation with a guy you will hear on the TV broadcast this Sunday.
Speaker 4: My son Sam has excellent taste in broadcasters and his favorite is not his dad. It's our guest Kevin Harlan, who will be on the mic for CBS this week. Kevin, we got quite the plot twist this week with the Bengals acquisition of Joe Flacco having a Cincinnati assignment this week.
Speaker 5: What was your reaction?
Speaker 6: Stunned? But it makes sense. He knows the division. He is a quarterback who has seen everything. He's reached the highest of highs. He's had some difficult moments, but he continues to go on. You know, Dan, I thought at one time that after he had signed the big contract with Baltimore and had won the Super Bowl, and he I know, he's a family man and all that, and I thought, you know, I could see him finding other priorities in life. I may be wrong in this assumption, and while we've interviewed him over the years, I haven't seen him much recently. I think his love for the game, which has always been there. It kind of feels like it's grown the older he's gotten and the more years he's piled up on his resume as being an NFL quarterback. He's good at it. He's a great locker room influence, and if any team was ready to make a move, it was probably yours. Poor Jake was clearly was struggling, and this is maybe shot in the arm and Joe gets back in December that this team needs. I mean, they've got the parts. We all know that. See Lucas Patrick is now in that window where he can begin to practic this and be good to get him back down the road, if not this weekend. But I guess my point is is I was thrilled they made them move. They're not waving the white flag on the season, not that they were thinking of it anyway, but this clearly shows, Hey, we're in it, We've got the parts. Let's let's let's keep let's keep going. We're only two and three. It's not like we're zero and five, right, I mean they're two and three. They're very in a division which has no Lamar for a while. We don't know how long that will be. You never know wh Pittsburgh's going to give you in Cleveland continues to find their way.
Speaker 7: Why not?
Speaker 6: I'm it shows aggression and I think every fan would appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Let me take it a step further. Kansas City is two and three and playing the Lions this week. The Texans, with their division titles the last couple of years, or two and three, they go to Seattle this week. The AFC in general appears to be wide open, doesn't it.
Speaker 6: I agree, Dan, you're on it, and I I would say that that these are one but that's it's a week to week league, and it's clearly a year to year league, and teams you think have got every answer at every position in every way are stumbling a bit. And now we see that how strong front offices and personnel departments can be in trying to, you know, grab a stronger hold of the rudder. And clearly the Bengals are doing that. Other teams are trying to find their way. But it's not what we thought, right. We didn't figure two and three Kansas City. We didn't figure a losing record with Baltimore, you know, five weeks in. But we're seeing it, and I think that it just shows you that in this league you need you need ingenuity clearly, because you've got to handle problems every single day of practice and every week. In this league, you've got to look ahead and you've got to make sure that you're making the right moves, not for just now, but also you know three weeks from now, but know that that you can never give up. And how many times, and you've called the league for decades, how many times have we gotten into the fifteen, sixteen, seventeen eighteen world And teams that were maybe at the beginning of the year four and eight or three and five or whatever are now like right there with the win, can get in the playoffs and make a noise that can be resounding. So I feel like no team is out. But I would backpedal here a bit and say I appreciate what a team like the Bengals have done. Now, Listen, there were a lot of guys out there, probably with different kind of price points on getting adulton or getting you know, a backup at this team or that team, And we all heard the names over the last couple of days.
Speaker 7: If they were so inclined to look.
Speaker 6: For a punch, a burst, a spark on offense, green Bay did it with Micaeh Parsons. I'm not saying that Flacco's going to have that same kind of kind of movement, but listen, he clearly brings a different dimension to that position with a guy that clearly still wants to play. So I applaud with the Bengals of and I love that in the middle of a season, when you think you've got everything just kind of proportioned the right way, this happens, or Parsons is traded. And here we have those kind of teams, green Bay and Cincinnati meeting this week and after making big early season moves.
Speaker 7: To their roster. It's so intriguing to me in so many ways.
Speaker 5: We're visiting with Kevin Harlan.
Speaker 4: Joe Flacco's NFL debut is on opening Day two thousand and eight against the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 8: Do you remember saying, look at the big man run. Well, now that you've said it, yes, I do. I do remember that, And you know he is.
Speaker 6: His career speaks for itself, not in terms of legendary Hall of Fame status, but he's won a Super Bowl, he's led winning teams, he's proven he can play in this league. He surprised people this stage of his career what he can still do. He's incredibly engaged, and I think in the locker room, and this is again nothing against who has been starting for Joe, but you're always you know, it's never time to bail. It's never time to you know, every man for himself, right, it's they are right in it in a division that is clearly within reach. And this, this is the kind of move that I applaud and love. But going back to the young Flacco I worked with. I worked at the time, not with Solomon Wilcotts you know who you guys know well there, but also with rich Gannon, and he went to Delaware. So I remember those meetings, specifically with a young Joe Flacco Dan in those production meetings with the Ravens, and how he looked at rich thinking, man, if I could only, if I could only have a career like rich Gannon, super Bowl player, MVP in the league, played deep into his thirties, had some great runs, and and not that he didn't think he could do it, but he was a young player at the time. And here we have him and and he plays then and here all these years later, here he is like he's been given the keys here to the Ferrari right, Like, I'm gonna put the key in and I'm gonna I'm gonna feel that engine roar. He's got one side, Jase, He's got Higgins on the other. He's got he's got some real playmakers on that team. It's gonna be fun, very fun.
Speaker 4: There might be a Ferrari commercial in your future based on that engine.
Speaker 5: Uh, wrapping up, Let's of.
Speaker 6: Any other car I should My son is a Ford dealer. I probably should have at Ford anyway. The point is is is if there's a new guy with the hands on the wheel, and that's that's pretty exciting.
Speaker 7: I think at the stage of the year.
Speaker 4: Let's discuss the Packers. They opened the season with dominant wins over Detroit and Washington. One of their offensive linemen said we might go undefeated this year, and then they lost to Cleveland in Week three. What is your view of the Packers and the problems they present for Cincinnati this week?
Speaker 6: So I do their preseason game, so I've seen him throughout the summer and this is pre Parsons arrival, and I thought they were a strong team then and the general manager came out Dan and he said the Packers and he said, he said, We've got to start thinking in terms of championships and not just winning records and getting into the playoff. We need to think now in terms of championships. And here is an organization that has been graced with two straight Hall of Fame quarterbacks and Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, and they really are high on Jordan Love their quarterback now who is playing well. But for whatever reason, they took on a red hot Dallas team and they faced one of the great defenses.
Speaker 7: In the league of Cleveland.
Speaker 6: We know Cleveland's got the defense and they had the Packers number and probably a loss like that early in the season was good for them to not think. You know, hey, I read what the lineman said, and he was and I'm sure they're going, oh my god, don't talk again. Please don't open up mouth. You cannot say in this league. It is such an unforgiving league. And these are pros on the other end, regardless of what record or history says. These are prideful men and they come out every day feeling like I'm gonna be better today than I was yesterday and better tomorrow. Than I was today, and they're always looking to improve. And the sky in the eye never lies. The game is on tape, their performance is there these There is no you know, like exhaling in this league, not until the season has come to a close. So I knew that when he said that. Oh and again that Miles Garrett, that defense, those players, and it was it was troublesome and they lost a double digit lead and they lost the game. So the Packers come into this game off of by, you know, and you can do the analytics and what teams have done, you know, pre by post by whatever. I think it's it'll be a lot for any team to handle it alone the Bengals. But now the Bengals have got their own juice, they got their own spark, and I think gonna feel really good about what they bring in. And they're two and three, and I think that that will carry a lot of weight. So in this league, trying to guess, I don't know how these guys and all we do is see betting this, betting that red level. I don't know how we know everything we can, like you know everything about this game. I know, I look at all the numbers. I don't know how people can sit there and maybe look at a casual or even if they feel they know, can figure out what's gonna happen instead of line in these games, it's impossible. You never know. You never know in this league, and that's what's the beauty of the league. And I truly, even as much as you might think the Packers have got the answer, you never know, and that's that's the beauty of the game.
Speaker 7: Coming up Sunday at lambeau.
Speaker 4: Field, did the Micah Parsons trade change your view of the Packers' ability to win a Super Bowl title?
Speaker 6: Well, I think it's stunned the league because he's a fifth year player at the very height of his powers, and its dominant and as forceful a one man guy is you're gonna find on any defensive unit in the league. Like he changes a game. Offenses now tilt toward ever you know wherever he's gonna be with extra blockers, going away with the play call and checking it off at the line. I think he changes how play to play, not just series the series or game the game. Like he like wherever he lines up now that that's a red flag. And you've got a great guy that can decipher that stuff in Flacu, who just played the Packers and won a couple of weeks ago for Cleveland, Like so, like he knows the recipe right and and so he knows this this defense. But I did think that Parsons could be like like the missing ingredient. They came in Dan to the preseason wanting to strengthen their pass rush, weren't necessarily satisfied with how they left camp in what they were going to again present and made the move after camp. So he and he's had a dynamite influence. He's one of the top quarterback pressure guys in the league. He changes the plays, he's everything they want. I think he's been a great presence in the locker room. The coach the other day just went on and Matt Lafleur went on and on about the presence and what he's brought and the confidency brings the rest of that defense. It helps other positions by just being on the field and the attention he draws. So but yeah, I mean, you make a move like that, it's got to be That was an earthquake type move. That was a resounding, hey, we are in it to win it, Like our GM said earlier before camp began, we're thinking in terms of championships and not just getting through the division and sneaking into the playoffs. We are looking for the very top, and by getting a guy like Parsons, they send the signal to the players into the league that that's exactly where they're aiming.
Speaker 5: We're visiting with Kevin Harlan.
Speaker 4: For those who don't know, your dad was an executive with the Green Bay Packers. You spent part of your childhood in Green Bay. What are some of your fondest memories about being around lambeau Field as a kid.
Speaker 6: I've got one right off the bet that I've told a couple of times already this week. When I was a ball boy for the Packers in the early seventies and we'd have our lunch break during training camp, I would sneak up the stairs into the press box at lambeau Field, the old lambeau Field, and go in the break the broadcast booth of the radio network. It didn't matter which close the door, and do imaginary games in my head when I was like eleven and twelve years old, and then when I got to actually broadcast when I was thirteen, fourteen years old at our high school radio station. Would go in there even more and practice these imaginary games in lambeau Field in a broadcast booth onto an empty field and a and not a soul could be seen in the bowl of lambeau Field. And that's where I would do these imaginary games out loud where no one could hear me. And I did that for many years. We'd go up there. I'm sure that head there been a cleaning person up there, someone that was getting something in the press box would maybe listing what's going on on there, like who, And it never happened. I was never caught, but it would always sneak in and get in and shut the door and do these games for like a half hour and just and here I was eleven twelve years old broadcasting in lambeau Field. And then, as luck would have it, and as the great fortune that has been bestowed upon my career would lead me to do games, and lambeau eventually do their preseason games as I've done since two thousand and three, done multiple championship games there, Monday night football games, and a lot of Fox and CBS games there. So I'm living out a dream every time I'm in that stadium doing a game, and now I've got my family in the seats right below me. W're season ticket holders. And my dad was there for thirty seven years and he was the one who hired Holmgren, hired Ron Wolf, was in the room when they made the trade to get Farve, made the deal, signed Reggie White, drafted Rogers, hired Mike McCarthy. So he was there dan hiring two Hall of Fame Super Bowl winning gms, two Super Bowl winning coaches, and two Hall of Fame quarterbacks. He was in that room when those decisions were made, and as president and CEO, the buck always stopped with him. So you could have a clever GM or coach or whatever personnel guy say hey, we should do this, but at the end of the day, he had to approve it, and he did. And so we're most and he's still alive. He's eighty nine, My mom is eighty seven. They live in Green Bay, is a five minute drive from lambeau Field, so they're they're very much with it. By the grace of God, their health is good enough. They still get it, and they watch games and they enjoy it. Like a lot of fans do.
Speaker 4: One of the things I admire about you is that you don't rest on your laurels. Are you on a never ending quest to improve as a sports broadcast?
Speaker 6: Well, like you, we have a same I think spirit in this business. Dan, As your accolades would say that if you do rest and exhale, there are younger broadcasters that are just salivating to be in our seats. Right is the voice of a team. You're a voice of a major college and an NFL team. There are not many of those guys in the business. You're one of them and have done it so well for so many years. And so I never take this job lightly. And I think it goes back because it's not that we're scared or we're frightened about what might be. It's that we enjoy the process of getting better. So, like you, I listen to my games, I critique my work. I feel like, you know, I could do that better, I can improve in this area or whatever. And I like that challenge. It keeps your mind going and evolving in the right direction. There'll be a day when I'm sure, speaking for myself, that I say, you know, I don't know that I've got the love of the business that I once had to want to get better. Let me, let me just get in there and just do the game and then move on to the next. I really don't look at it like that. I think I'm a part paranoid, part scared. I feel like I'm young enough that I've still got a lot of good years ahead of me. But I want to make sure that I don't when that day comes that I do leave that I'm not I'm not regretting not putting in the work necessary to be up to date. Let me tell you, I don't know what you think, but I'm watching when we do these games, like the offenses have never moved faster, There's never been more no huddle, there's never been more sub packages coming in and staying on top of that in a game from way up into the press. That's a hard thing to do. It's hard, and I do it on radio and on TV. Both they're different ways of looking at it, but the same thing is, Man, you've got to pay attention and you've got to make sure that you go into these games prepared.
Speaker 7: So I'm scared.
Speaker 6: I read I read a quote by Scully one time, the great legendary Dodger broadcaster who said, fear drives me a lot. I never want to let my listeners down. I never want to let myself down by not being fully prepared, but into the game and staying ahead of the posse, in other words, making sure that they find no reason to really attack my work. And that's what kept him going. And I read that as a young broadcaster. I said, that's a good model to live by, and so I kind.
Speaker 4: Of have that totally rings true. Leave it to Vin Scully to nail it. Final question for Kevin Harlan. I'm sure you've heard this one before, but I've never heard your answer. If you could call a sporting event that you've never had the opportunity to do and probably won't have the opportunity to do, what would it be.
Speaker 6: Well, I've had the chance a couple times to do Major League Baseball. When I was in my twenties and doing the University of Missouri and the Chiefs on radio Saturday Sunday back to back like you do with the Bearcats and the Bengals. There was an opportunity in my twenties, newly married with our first child, to do Cardinal Baseball with Jack Buck and Mike Shannon on KMOX and drove in there and did a practice game, and they heard the tape and they liked it, and it was there, and I chose not to My dad, before he became the president of the Packers, was with the Saint Louis Baseball Cardinals and was the pr director back in the sixties. And he got out of baseball because it wasn't he thought he loved the job. It was a great job, but not for a family man. It's a hard job if you're a family man and are away from your family that one hundred and sixty two games and away from your family and all that, and every day, and during the great summer months where you know, vacations are gone now and so all that. So when he got out, you know that I remember the decision process he made, and my wife and I made the decision not to do baseball, And then had a chance with the Red Sox not too long ago to be involved in their broadcasts and chose not to do that. But to answer to the question if I could on radio doing play by play, the great broadcasters in our business have some kind of a baseball background. And when I talk to young broadcasters, they say, do a lot of radio baseball because it will help you develop voice and pacing and reporting and all these things that we need to be whether you do basketball or football. If you can do baseball, I think you can do the other sports.
Speaker 1: And I do.
Speaker 6: And it's great for delivery development and voice development and cadence and all those things. But doing a game on radio baseball on radio some random Wednesday night, maybe in July, and describing as the shadows are growing, as the sun is setting, and describe because you've got time between pitches to describe what's going on. In football, man, you got doing doing doing doom and in basketball, so like you're constantly just trying to keep up with the action. But the one thing on radio that makes it so great is when you can paint the total picture and you can hear the popcorn guy in the stands that reaches that microphone or or or you can see a movement of a shortstop a little bit more to the left, a bit more to the right. And I remember reading one thing about Red Barber and how he when he was broadcasting the Brooklyn Dodgers, which was describing a rainstorm that he could see building over left Field, over Brooklyn, and how it was moving slowly toward Ebbett's Field, and how then that there were rain drops, and how and how the rain drops on the on the bill of the cap of pee Wee Reese, he could see the drops and he could see the wind picking up in the dust blowing off the mound. And I thought, Man, I like, those those are moments that just there. If you saw it, it wouldn't resonate, but when you hear it in the theater of your mind, it just builds this great picture. And I thought, that's what I wanted to do, and that's where I got my love of radio, which I do every Monday night. I and there's not a lot of time to describe that kind of stuff, but when there is, and when you can describe it, I think those calls, your call of a Joe Burrow touchdown, those calls if you listen to him driving by yourself an I seventy five or wherever you may be, like they stick in your head, like you can almost picture it more here than you could if you saw it with your own two eyes. So I love the challenge that radio brings, and that that's where my love of doing radio baseball, I think would be and long answer to your question, and I'm sorry, but that's I love those I love those challenges of creating the people's minds, that that vision where they can see at the theater of their mind, what happened, what kind of catch, what kind of ground ball was grabbed, you know, what kind of jump shot was taken?
Speaker 7: Where it was on the floor.
Speaker 6: Those things, to me, that's why get into broadcasting, the challenge of doing that the right way.
Speaker 3: You are listening to the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bared Chicken. We are live at the on the Rhyane Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. Dave Lapham and I are here until six o'clock tonight. From five to six we will be joined by Bengals linebacker Oron Burke. So if you would like to meet Oran, get a picture, get an autograph, you can do so today here at the On the Rhine Eatery at the intersection of Court and Walnut. It is the food hall above the downtown Kroger. You can park in the three c DC garage. You're fine street parking again. It's the on the Rhine Eatery at Court and Walnut. We're going to take a time out. When we come back, you will get to know the person under the pads. It's this week's fun Fact segment and it's coming up next Here on ESPN fifteen thirty. Daneld and Dave Lapham with his view this afternoon from the on the Rhine Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. It's the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Faired Chicken. Here on ESPN fifteen thirty. We're getting you ready for the Bengals and Packers coming up on Sunday at Lambeau Fields, beginning at four to twenty five on Sunday afternoons. Still to come. On today's show, and we're here until six o'clock tonight. You will hear from quarterback Joe Flacco, he met with the Cincinnati media for the first time earlier today. We'll also hear from off into line Marius Mims on the difficult challenge of trying to block Micah Parsons. Right now, it's time for this week's Fun Fact segment, presented Skyline.
Speaker 4: Chilly time for some fun facts with rookie linebacker Barrett Carter born in Chicago but raised in Swanee, Georgia, near Atlanta. Barrett, I read an interview where you said, all I want to do in life is make my parents proud.
Speaker 9: Tell us a little bit.
Speaker 4: About them, what they did or do for a living, and what you admire and respect so much about your folks.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So my mom, she's an interior designer. Slash do it all mom, slash everything Mom, she really does it all. But she's an interior designer, helps, you know, design people's houses, and you know, people will just hire her and you know, give her money and tell her, you know, just make my house beautiful.
Speaker 9: And that's what she does.
Speaker 10: Then my dad, he's a financial advisor, a wealth manager. So he's really my personal financial adviser. So it's good to keep that in house. But what I really love and admire most about them is just how supportive they are. Like with my sister and I, they really just let us figure our own lives out. Like they didn't force us to do anything. They just said, if y'all want to go run through a brick wall, then we're gonna support you, like wholeheartedly, with no no doubts, and just they just let us figure out our own lives out. That's just what I love and admire so much about them, and I hope that I can be half as good as parents as they were to my sister and I. So they're the best older or younger sister older, she's six years older. How old am I twin two? Yeah, she's six years old. I have to do that math every time, but yeah, she's six years older.
Speaker 4: I do the same with my older sisters. When did it become clear that you stood out among your peers in sports?
Speaker 11: Hm hmm.
Speaker 9: I would say my eighth grade year in football.
Speaker 10: Like I played football just always because it was so fun, and I was also like the biggest one on the field, so I was just I guess I was naturally I don't want to say the best, but I was pretty good. But then my eighth grade year, I was just I was pretty dominant and that after that year, it just really showed me that I can maybe do something with this. And fast forward to my freshman year, I got my first scholarship offer and I was like, wow, like this is really like what I've been working towards every single day, and I was like really becoming a reality and that really just made me work even harder just to not just or to just keep stacking offers and just keep getting more attention from colleges. So I would say, in my eighth grade and then going to my.
Speaker 4: Freshman year, I know you played offense early in high school and then got switched to linebacker, and reportedly you were devastated by the change. Have you grown to love linebacker?
Speaker 10: I have, and it was I literally wanted to quit football. But the next day when I got I switched, I was running back receiver. I switched the linebacker, and I was almost quit football. Then the next day I got my first scholarship offer. So I mean, the Lord works in mysterious ways. But I've grown to love this side of the ball so much, and I love how.
Speaker 9: How hard it is.
Speaker 10: Like you know, I'm not saying playing offense is easy, but you know, when you ain't playing defense, you have to react to whatever the offense is doing and you don't know what they're running, and all you can do is go off of your preparation, your studying and your film and just you know, just your God given ability. But I love that defense, that challenge and how precise you have to be and how on point you have to be with your keys, and I embrace that challenge. So I wouldn't I wouldn't change my path and I wouldn't want to have it any other way.
Speaker 9: So I love the side.
Speaker 4: Of the ball playing linebacker. You attended North Quinn at high school. That's the alma mater of a Bengals fan favorite tight end, CJ Uzama. Did you hear about CJ? From coaches and teachers and have you ever.
Speaker 9: Met I don't.
Speaker 10: We've met before because he came in and spoke to us, but like surprisingly, we actually lived in the same neighborhood. We lived in the same neighborhood back in Georgia, but just growing up in Swanee, you always heard that name, and you know, you always wanted to strive to be like those older guys.
Speaker 9: Who paved the way.
Speaker 10: And I just have so much respect for him is what he did in the league and how he always came back to his community and just gave his time, his knowledge, and his wisdom back. And you know, I hope that I can be something like that and more just keep giving back what was instilled into me. So CJ will always be a legend in my eyes, a big brother and you know, a great a great man to look up to.
Speaker 4: You were one of the top linebackers in the country your senior year of high school. You could have gone anywhere. Where did you visit? Who I visited?
Speaker 10: Clemson obviously, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, and Ohio State.
Speaker 9: So those were like.
Speaker 10: My final final five, and I ultimately chose Clemson just because it was the right fit for me. You know, I was looking for a place where I can you know, grow in all areas of life and you know, not just talking about football, but all areas. And you know, I can truly say I walked into Clemson aboard and I came out of man.
Speaker 9: And that's all that I was looking for. And you know, the football stuff is going to handle itself.
Speaker 10: But so what I did, what I was able to compensatere was is a blessing and I wouldn't trade those four years for the world. But yeah, those are those are my finalists. And the place that I was visited.
Speaker 4: It certainly worked out well. You were in some great teams at Clemson. Your team made it to the College Football Playoff last year. What was the best part of your overall college experience.
Speaker 10: I'll say, I'll give one on the field and won off the field. I'll say this is going to be surprising. My junior year, at worst, we were four and four, Like at one point, we were four and four throughout the year. And if you know anything about Clemson, anything about their fans, they're very passionate about that team, and being four and four in Clemson is not not a sweet place to be. And so I would say finishing off that year and winning the Gator Bowl in the way that we won it, like it was just special.
Speaker 12: And I cried after that game.
Speaker 10: I cried after we won the Gator Bowl and it was just such a special win for you know, we were four and four and we rallied and we finished off the season nine and four, and it was just carry so much momentum to the next year. So that's on the field, and then off the field, I'll say graduating just because after my junior year, I was unsure if I was gonna leave or go or come back, and it was a really tough decision weighing on my heart, and I decided to come back and I finished, and I set out that was my goal to graduate be all American, be a team captain.
Speaker 9: And that's what I did.
Speaker 10: And so I came back and I graduated, and that was such a big accomplishment for me.
Speaker 4: Since twenty twenty, college football players have been allowed to wear the number zero. You were the first player to do it at Clemson.
Speaker 13: Was that a big deal to you?
Speaker 10: Honestly, I didn't realize it was a big deal until, like I got to Clemson, because I committed to Clemson and I texted coach Shwiny, like what single digit numbers do y'all have available? Because I were number one in high school, so it was just what I was used to and now he said zero's only thing. I was like, all right, let's do it. And then I get to Clemson and like they had there, like you said, there was no zeros before, and then I was the first one and all like that's like all forever being history just because.
Speaker 9: I'm the first number zero. So it was special.
Speaker 10: And I hope that you know that's just a legacy at Clemson, just for decent players to wear that number and just keep carrying on that tradition. So I hope that you know that's that's that's gonna become a thing at Clemson.
Speaker 4: We're chatting with Barrett Carter. You were a fourth round picking this year's draft. Describe the moments leading up to the pick and then the feeling you got when the phone rang.
Speaker 10: The most stressful, nerve wracking time of my whole life, because the whole process is so like you don't know anything. Like you can you can get all these predictions, you can talk to your agents and acts like what are they saying whatever, But until you get the phone call, you don't know what's going on in that draft room. So I mean, i'd be lying to you if I told you all if I thought I was gonna go fourth out. I thought I was gonna go earlier. But you know, the lower makes no mistakes. And you know, when I got that phone call, it was the best thing in the world. Just all the weight on my shoulders were just completely lifted, and I was like I was immediately just like, let's get to work. Like I cried so much much Friday night because I didn't get my name called, and I was pissed off and I was just so much, so many different emotions. But when I saw I think it was a five one three area code's Yeah. So I saw the five one three and I saw Cincinnati. I was like, let's do it, Like, let's get to work, and I was just ready from that moment on and I'm just ready to just leave my leave my marketing in Cincinnati.
Speaker 9: All right, a few.
Speaker 4: Wild card topics to wrap things up. It looks like you did a ton of community service when you were at Clemson, particularly with schools.
Speaker 10: Why I remember, I was, you know, that little kid and seeing the older athletes come in and read to us and spend time with us, and I just thought.
Speaker 9: That was the coolest thing because I was, I was, I just admired that.
Speaker 10: I admire that, you know, they took the time out of their day when they could have.
Speaker 9: Been doing anything else and they came to spend time with us.
Speaker 10: And I made a promise to myself, like when I get to that, when I get to that age, I'm gonna get back and I'm gonna I'm gonna be that figure that those kids look up to and those kids love, and you know, whatever it may be, but it's just a it's a promise that I made to myself, just I'm gonna give back my time. I'm gonna get back to nowe I was instilled into me and I'm gonna I'm gonna do that for.
Speaker 9: Us rest of my life.
Speaker 4: If you could swap jerseys with any player in NFL history, who are you swapping jerseys with?
Speaker 9: Probably ray Lewis.
Speaker 10: Just he's someone that I grew up just admiring and watching, especially when I switched the linebacker, Like a big thing for me was the mindset and like the mentality that you have to have to play that position.
Speaker 9: He's just epitome of that.
Speaker 10: Like he's he doesn't matter who you are, He's gonna go after you and try to try to hunt you.
Speaker 9: So I would say ray Lewis.
Speaker 10: And I actually talked to him last last year in the summer. Coach Sweeney put me on the phone with him, and it was I was just so starstruck. I didn't know what to say. But he's someone that I grew up Washington and grew up admiring. So I would say ray Lewis.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 4: Final fun fact for Barrett Carter. This one's kind of deep. If you could meet anyone in history, living or deceased, who would that person be?
Speaker 10: I would say, I have two, so I have to give an athlete and a non athlete, I'll say Lebron James because that's just that's my that's my guy. I grew up watched, Yeah, Lebron for sure. Lebron James and Denzel Washington. He's my favorite actor. I just watched both or all three Equalizer movies and that just made me love him even more so. Lebron James and Denzel Washington. Denzel is so good, so good, so good, the best.
Speaker 13: Not that Lebron isn't. But I'm really with you and Denzel.
Speaker 9: You can't go on with either, so I'll say those two.
Speaker 13: This has been great. Really appreciate your time. Best of luck the rest of the year.
Speaker 9: Yes, say thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: You are listening to the Bengals Pepper Ally Show live from the on the Rhine Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. Dave Lapham and I are here until six o'clock tonight. We're obviously having some minor technical problems. We'll have that ironed out shortly. In any case, if you'd like to come out and meet Orrin Burks, the Bengals linebacker, will be our special guest. Between five and six, we are headed to Lambeau Field on Sunday. It'll be the first time the Bengals have played there in eight years. The last time they faced the Packers in Green Bay, it was a great game, but the Packers won it in overtime thanks to the heroics of their then quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Jerry Montgomery was on the coaching staff back then for Green Bay. He's a Bengals coach now and I'll talk to him next. This is the Bengals pep Rallley Show presented by Just Fair Chicken on ESPN fifteen thirty. Thanks for tuning in to The Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Their Chick In We are at our Friday afternoon home, the on the Rhine Eatery, the food hall above the downtown Kroger at Court and Walnut. We're here until six o'clock tonight. We will be joined in the final hour of the show by Bengals linebacker and SPED team's eighth Orrin Burks. We've got the Bengals and Green Bay Packers coming up on Sunday in Green Bay, beginning at four to twenty five. It's a relatively rare meeting between these two teams they've only played fourteen times over the years. Since Annattie has won seven, the Packers have won seven. The Bengals actually have three wins in Wisconsin, but only one of those wins was at Lambeau Field. The bengals other two victories on the road against green Bay were in Milwaukee. The Packers used to play a few of their home games every year in Milwaukee. The Bengals have a coach who knows all about green Bay, and I spoke to him, defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery earlier this week.
Speaker 4: Jerry, you are a Packers assistant coach for nine years. Now you are going back to Lambeau It can't be just another game for you.
Speaker 13: Is there anything in particular you're looking forward to?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 14: Being there for nine years I have When I say friends, they're like family, meaning there's still guys there that I work with, but more importantly, our kids grew up there. So we have a cabin in Eagle River, Wisconsin. We will always call that home now regardless of where we live at. So it'll be great to see all of my neighbors and friends. And then you know what's cool is my son is getting his first collegiate start at linebacker against the Badger Saturday night. So I'm gonna try to sneak out and get to that game. So he played, you know, they went to the state championship and he played in Madison. Now he's getting his first start in Madison against Madison. So yeah, so we'll have a lot of friends all week in to see. I've only been to Lambeau once. That's when the Bengals played there eight years ago. It's a bucket list type experience for me. When you work there every day, do you feel the history and do you feel like it's a big advantage. You definitely feel the history. It's an unbelievable place to work and unbelievable place to play a football game. You walk through the tunnels and you feel it. It's neat even practicing there. There's an air about it. So and what's cool is when you pull in and you see now it's a little different now because people have tore down those homes and built massive places across the street. They're big tailgate places. But it's just it's a really neat environment. It's probably as close to college environment as you'll feel in most places. But yeah, neat venue, a lot of history and cool place.
Speaker 4: Green Bay is the smallest market in the US that has a professional sports team. It's a city of about one hundred thousand people. As a Packers player or coach, do you feel like you're in a fish bowl a little bit just because there's such a spotlight on the Packers?
Speaker 14: I would say, you know, maybe for a player. As a coach, I'd say no. I think people are very welcome, the welcoming, and they treat you as one and especially if you're a normal person, if you you know, there's not too many people that walk around meaning you know, and think that they're better than you. So when you act like that, that's when you stand alone. But for a player, I could see people knowing who you are. But I think those guys, you know, it's Milwaukee's two hours away, Chicago's three hours away, So.
Speaker 4: We're visiting the Bengals defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery. Let's talk defense. Seems a little odd to say, maybe after the opponents scored thirty seven points, But I thought the defense played pretty well last week against the NFL's number one offense. You forced five punts. Nobody's forced more against Detroit. You got to take away in the game, what was good last Sunday, what wasn't up to your standard.
Speaker 14: We're taking the right steps each and every week. You know, they were average and I don't know if it was like four point nine or five something or carry. And if we don't give up the one big run, we keep them below two, below three, we give up the one big one.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 14: So like we're building a mindset and a culture from a run game a standpoint, and you know, you got to earn.
Speaker 9: The right to pass rush.
Speaker 14: And so I think those guys, we're doing that and we're getting in them some longer down in distance, more than they've probably had all year.
Speaker 9: But you know, so it starts there.
Speaker 14: So you're just building a culture and identity and you know, guys are playing hard. No one's quitting. You know, we got to eliminate the mistakes that are happening. And it's football. Things are gonna happen. It's just like, you know, you can't let them compound. But we're heading in the right direction. We're nowhere near where we're going to be, but you know, hopefully people are seeing the change and the guys are working extremely hard.
Speaker 4: One negative has been opening drives opponents have scored touchdowns in for the first five games. Has there been a common denominator? Is there something that stands out on those opening drives?
Speaker 9: We talk about that every day.
Speaker 14: I don't know if it was Cleveland and then Minnesota, but you know, you got penalties that extend drives. One of those drives, there was three or four third down penalties. Uh, some you know are questionable, but like, if you know, we can eliminate some of those things. We're off the field, you know, but uh, once the guy's settled down, it's it's been you know, pretty good and then then there's a hiccup. Right, But you know, I think if we can eliminate the mistakes h and play fast and then tackle and open field, uh, I think we're gonna you know, be better and improve each week.
Speaker 4: Let's discuss some individuals. Trey Hendrickson had two sacks last week. He's got four in the first five games. It's your first year coaching him. What stands out?
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's it's important to him, you know, he he wants to learn about, you know, the offensive line and what they're doing. You know, he's he's invested in in playing the run, and you know, he knows, like, you can't get to third down if you can't stop the run. And so I think he's really putting an emphasis on those details. But like, you know, it's important to him. You talk about a guy that comes in, he takes care of his body, he watches film, he studies his opponent, so he knows, you know, what should work, how the guy's gonna set.
Speaker 9: Him, you know. So it's it's it's neat to be around, you.
Speaker 16: Know, a pro.
Speaker 4: Josephosai and Miles Murphy each had a sack last week. What are you working on with them at this stage of their development?
Speaker 14: Consistency, whether it's in the run game. They both had opportunities, you know. You know one of the sacks that Miles got, you know, Joe created it because he was able to penetrate the B gap and then Miles played off of them. So it's not just a selfish individual, Hey I'm gonna go win. I mean he did a selfish deal by penetrate, penetrating the B gap and allow Miles to get a sack. Right, So, so all those things are a part of it, but just being consistent, whether it's the run game, open field, tackling those type of things. Like, I'm very demanding and hold those guys to a really high standard. And I think sometimes if you feel like the world's falling down on them, when in reality it's like, hey, this happened, let's clean it up, all right, Uh, you know, but don't don't don't you know, let one mistake fall into another one because you can't move on, you know. And so those are the things that we're trying to work to get them past.
Speaker 4: You are demanding and it's fun to watch, and I get the sense from everybody that I've talked to that they like being pushed. Is that what you're looking for from the guys that you have on your D line?
Speaker 14: I want I want guys that it's important to being out there. It's important. Learning the process and learning what your opponent does is important. If it's not important to you for those things, then like you don't love the game. Like the best guys I've been around, right, and we're going to Green Bay, Kenny Clark was one of the best to ever do it. But it wasn't that he was like super Ubertalent. He loved football, and like, I got a room full of guys that, like you know, they love it. They're learning learning more bald than they've ever learned. But like, I expect them to play at a high level, and I my standard for them is super high, but I expect more out of them. It can't be how bad do I want it? Because that doesn't mean anything. I don't play the game. If you guys don't put in the time and effort, it's not gonna show up on the field. And I tell them, what you put into it, you get out of it. So if you take me as being hard and demanding on you is a bad thing, all right, you're never gonna grow, all right, and you're never gonna get to where you need to get. A lot of guys understand I'm trying to help them, not hurt them. It's not belittle on them. It's trying to make them better. It's trying to get them to see the game through my lens or to see the game easier. And the guys that are doing that are making huge strauss.
Speaker 4: BJ Hill is the leading tackler among the guys up front. What have you enjoyed about coaching BJ?
Speaker 14: Yeah, you know, he's smart, same thing. He's another guy who's done it. He's been productive right in the past, and we're teaching him a little bit different ways.
Speaker 9: Of how to do it.
Speaker 14: But you know, he's adapting and he's doing it, and he's playing good ball for us, and we need him in there and he's been stout in the run and we need him to continue to do that.
Speaker 4: You haven't had Shamar since week two. I thought he got better every day at training camp from watching practice. What did you think of his camp and the first two games that he was able.
Speaker 14: To play, Yeah, like a roller coaster, right, like a guy that hadn't been here all off season or all training camp, right, and then and then he showed flashes of like why he went where he went, and so it's it's a work in progress, but like when he gets it, when it all clicks for him, the tools are there, I see, like a great player in this league for a long time.
Speaker 16: Right.
Speaker 9: And so he's going through a process right now through.
Speaker 14: This injury, Like he's how to try to be a pro with rehab and all that. So, I mean everything he's doing right now is new and it's all a process.
Speaker 4: For so final thing for d line coach Jerry Montgomery. The big news this week is obviously the acquisition of Joe Flacco. You've squared off against him a handful of times in the NFL, including Week one this year. What do you think Joe Flacco brings to the table.
Speaker 9: The guys played a lot of football.
Speaker 14: I mean, I tell the story I told him when I saw him last night, Like we were at Northern IOW when he was at Delaware, he beat us to go to the National Championship game. We were the undefeated team. We had like nine sack opportunities, but we fill down his body like six of those, right, so we get those nine sacks. It's done. But veteran experience. The guy's got He's massive, right, he could see it.
Speaker 16: He could make it.
Speaker 14: All the throws and you know, even the picks that happened our game. I mean those were tips into flections right like the balls were and I think they've had eleven drops there. I mean, he's gonna have some great weapons, but he can make the throws. Veteran leadership. The guys won the Super Bowl, like, so he's done it, and it'd be nice to see what he can do.
Speaker 4: We're going to get our opportunity soon. Cherry, appreciate your time enjoying the trip back to Green Bank.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: That is Bengals defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery. We just heard him talking about quarterback Joe Flaco, and we will hear from the Bengals new older quarterback when we come back, Joe Matt with the Cincinnati Media, so the first time today we'll hear his comments. In just a moment, you are listening to the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Baared Chicken. We are live at the on the Rhine Eatery in downtown Cincinnati. It's the food hall above the downtown Kruger at the corner of Court and Walnut. We're here until six o'clock tonight on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 2: This is Bengals pep Rally presented by Just Baared Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 16: Paycor.
Speaker 2: Paycor is proud to be the official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Ketterering Health Best Care for the Best Fans. Kettering Health, Official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 4: And this is the Bengals pep Rowley Show presented by Just Bear Chicken live from the on the Rhine Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. We're getting getting set for the Bengals and Green Bay Packers coming up on Sunday at four to twenty five. We'll see if the Bengals can snap their three game losing streak and get back on the winning track with a new guy at quarterback. It's only the sixth game of the year, this will be the bengals third different starting quarterback. Joe Burrow of course, started games one and two. Jake Browning has started games three, four, and five. Unfortunately, Jake did not perform nearly as well as he did two years ago when Joe Burrow hurt his wrists. So the Bengals are trying to stay in the hunt and they have made a move picking up forty year o old, eighteen year veteran Joe Flacco, a former Super Bowl MVP, A guy who has made nearly two hundred million dollars in his NFL career, but he still loves playing. He still thinks he can play well. He was the NFL Comeback Player of the Year just two years ago when he led the Cleveland Browns to the playoffs, and he will try to do something similar for the Bengals, try to keep them in contention until hopefully Joe Burrow comes back in December and leads the Bengals to glory in the postseason.
Speaker 13: That's what we can hope for in any case.
Speaker 4: Joe Flacco has practiced now three times since joining the Cincinnati Bengals, including earlier today after a Friday morning practice, he met with the Cincinnati media for the first time. Let's hear a few of the more interesting things that Joe Flacco had to say.
Speaker 17: Crazy business. You know, you have to be ready for anything. That's that's kind of what it was. Definitely didn't have this on my list of things that were going to happen.
Speaker 16: That that's this league.
Speaker 17: And and and I'm a player, uh, I think most players would say the same thing. I mean, you know, I like to play football, and if that's in Cincinnati right now, then you know, I'm all for it. I think in this kind of environment and in this situation particularly, I think honestly I can get in trouble kind of think and I know everything. I think the best way for me to do is is just keep simple, keep it simple.
Speaker 16: You know.
Speaker 17: I think a lot of the times when you're when you've played a lot of ball, and when you've been around a lot of ball, you know, you can you can get to the point where you overcomplicate things and you're just you're just making things harder on yourself. Uh So, honestly, I think my experience in this in this regard is is uh going to help me in the sense that I don't have all the answers. Just keep it simple, go play football, and you know, and and and and I think that's the best way to kind of make sure that we play consistently, stay ahead of the chaine, and do all those things. The biggest challenge is probably still just the Green Bay Packers, you know, and the team that they have. They're a confident team that plays good football, and you know, I think all the other stuff, you know, you can use it as an excuse, but we still have to go play a football game on Sunday and they're the ones that stand in front of us.
Speaker 16: Lap.
Speaker 4: Joe Flacco has been getting a crash course in the Cincinnati Bengals playbook. I don't think Zach Taylor has been getting much sleep this week. They try to feed him as much information as they possibly can. The good news is he just prepped to face the Green Bay Packers, so Joe Flacco can concentrate a little bit less on that than he normally would and devote most of his concentration to try to pick up this offense and be able to play at a solid level on Sunday.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and I think I think he feels like he's going to be able to do that. I think he feels like he's going to be able to help the Bengals. He's been in a legal a while, been with a few franchises. They've run multiple offensive philosophies and configurations and formations and personnel and motions and change of formations. You know, he's been exposed to all of that. I and you know he's got all of that to work to pick from, to choose from, to work from. I think it's the biggest thing that Zach and Dan Pitcher and the rest of the coaching staff has to do is to is to marry what he feels most comfortable with in the Bengals offense and put a game plan together based on that, and you know, every every down and distance have an answer for it. I like the fact that he said, I know I don't have all the answers. Well that, you know, some guys have been in the league as long as him would think they do have all the answers. And he's he seems like a really good guy, a guy that his teammates have already gravitated toward. He checks his ego at the door. He's not, you know, not somebody like here, I am. Hey, it's Joe Flacco, you know, bowed down and kiss my feet. You know, It's nothing like that. He's just a guy who, like he said, loves to play football, and now he has another chance to go out and play football with what he thinks is a pretty good football team.
Speaker 4: He started the first four games of the year for Cleveland. Then the Browns turned to rookie Dylan Gabriel. Obviously, Cleveland is in rebuilding mode. They want to see what they have with the two quarterbacks that they drafted. I don't know that we'll see Shador Sanders anytime soon, but they certainly want to check out Dylan Gabriel first. Flacco didn't play particularly well for the Browns. He acknowledged that earlier today. There are circumstances there. You don't have a lot of a wide receiver talent in Cleveland. Their offensive line has been battered and bruised. They didn't play particularly well in front of him. I will say this, We saw him on opening Day and he played great against the Bengals. He threw for two hundred and ninety yards. If not for several drops, including two that became interceptions, the Bengals probably don't win that game.
Speaker 12: I agree, And I think the coaches looked at that tape and said, hey, he's still got a lot of gas left in the tank. I mean, this guy can still play. He can still throw it with the best of them. And that's the thing. He's always had a Howartzer hanging off his right shoulder. You know, the dude has a canon. There's no no question about it. And it's not like you know all over the place. He's controlled. When he throws that football down the football field. He can put it in very tight spots. He can hit you in the right shoulder, he can hit you in the left ep. He can put the ball wherever he needs to put it, and it's got ourpms on it, it's got velocity on it comes out of his hand very very easily. And the good thing is about him And this is what I think you know, got Jake in a little bit of trouble. He gets it out of his hand quickly.
Speaker 16: Yep.
Speaker 12: I mean he makes reads and right now the ball is out and if you're a receiver, you better get your head around because that ball could become And so I think that's going to be an interesting part of practice for the for Joe Flack and his wide receivers is make sure that they know that all of them didn't play every single snap and the ball could be coming.
Speaker 4: All right, We're gonna take a time out when we come back. Why we owe punter Ryan Rico an apology. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear Chicken. We are live at the on the Rhyane Eatery Orin Burkes will be our guest at five o'clock here on ESPN fifteen thirty. Welcome back to the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear Chicken, Live from the on the Ryan Eatery, our Friday afternoon home throughout the season. We're here until six o'clock tonight, and linebacker Orin Burkes number forty two special teams as will be joining us in the final hour of the show. Orn will be here from five to six, happy to sign autographs, happy to take pictures. We look forward to chatting with or and Burks at five o'clock. In last week's game against the Lions, Detroit tackled quarterback Jake Browning in the end zone for a safety with about two minutes to go, and something very confusing happened after that, so confusing that we owe punter Ryan Rico an apology.
Speaker 13: Here's what I mean.
Speaker 4: So it's a free kick now for Cincinnati, and they elect to have the punter do it.
Speaker 13: Ryan Rico. No long snap, he just has the ball in his right hand.
Speaker 4: He'll step into it and punt it before reaching the twenty yard line.
Speaker 13: Here comes his punt. Oh, oh, my.
Speaker 4: Bad punt, straight up in the air like he was punting in a silo on It's fair.
Speaker 13: Caught at the forty.
Speaker 4: Six a twenty six yard high fly ball by Ryan Rico.
Speaker 13: One forty nine to go and the Lions will have it at the Cincinnati forty six. The law was fought outside the setup zone.
Speaker 1: By rule, that's an unsportsman life conduct penalty on the kicking team.
Speaker 12: It'll be the receiving team's ball half the distance from the spot of a kick at the ten yard line first down.
Speaker 4: Wow, man, that's the most severe penalty I've ever heard.
Speaker 12: God, are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 13: So, what the heck just happened?
Speaker 4: I watched the TV coverage of the game after I got home. The guys on TV had no idea what happened. Now I know what happened. That was an on side punt right after the safety. When the Bengals did the free kick from the twenty yard line, they were trying to punt the ball straight up in the air. So that was intentional by Ryan Rico, hoping that the Lions would Muffet, maybe have some sort of blocker that's not used to catching the football Muffet and the Bengals could recover. An on side punt is legal, but with the dynamic kick off rule that was instituted last year, you have to land it in a certain zone, and Ryan Rico didn't quite pull it off. I talked to him about the on side punt yesterday.
Speaker 15: You don't see it a whole lot because it can only happen after a safety and in those situations, you're really just trying to put the other team in a difficult spot.
Speaker 1: Maybe they didn't practice it as much as they should have. With that, you got to.
Speaker 15: Land it in between the thirty and the forty five yard line. They're able to signal fair catch, which can make it more or less confusing for them, but really you're just trying to give your guys time to basically go crowd the returner, hope they're gonna muff it, and so yeah, it was basically you just get that thing up as high as possible and try and put the returner in a difficult position. Unfortunately, it went long and so it made it easier on them.
Speaker 1: It kind of takes the pressure out of that.
Speaker 15: But in those situations, you're like, Okay, what do we have and what can we do to make it difficult for him?
Speaker 4: It went to the forty six, so you went one yard too far.
Speaker 15: Yes, one yard shorter, and it's like, wow, that was perfect. Unfortunately, that's how the special teams goes a lot of the time. Close just isn't quite good enough.
Speaker 13: Did you even know that there was such a thing as an on side punt?
Speaker 15: Yes, yes, it happened a couple times last year. We've watched the film on it several times. It is one of those situations that you're like, oh, like, when are we ever going to be in there? But I feel like Darren has done a great job of talking us through it what the goal is, and unfortunately I just got to be able to execute it better.
Speaker 4: So Lap, I'm ticked off at myself that I didn't recognize that was an on side punt because you told me years ago that Don Shula, as the head coach of the Dolphins, pulled one off against the Bengals in your playing Sure.
Speaker 12: Did, and I was a rookie and Don Shula. The punt just like a kickoff. Once it travels ten yards, it's a free ball anybody's football. But if you touch it, if you're the return team and you touch it and don't take the possession of it, secure possession of it, and the kickoff or punt coverage team balls on. It's their ball. It's stair a ball right there. In fact, Paul Brown ran one when I was a rookie as well, and makes sense that Don Shula would because Don Chula played for Paul Brown with the Cleveland Browns in his playing days. So these these are two coaches that know every single period, punctuation mark, word written in the rule book and can recite it. Probably can recite it in their sleep. But it's it's interesting. I mean, there's something that that Darren Simmons covers. I know he covers on side kicks. I know that for a fact. He's told me, his players are told me. So it's not like the Bengals were ill prepared for.
Speaker 13: It, right.
Speaker 4: What's different now from when you played is that back then there was a total element of surprise. I remember you telling me, Yeah, there were guys on the sideline saying, what just happened? You can do that, Whereas now, because of the dynamic kickoff rule, whenever you do an on side kick, you have to tell the opponent otherwise their coverage team would be way down the field. So the Lions knew an onside kick was coming. You still have the element of surprise.
Speaker 13: In how you do it.
Speaker 4: They probably not accustomed to seeing a punch try to kick it a mile up in the air, but they do know that some sort of onside kick is coming, right.
Speaker 12: There's a trick element to it, you know, some kind of element or surprise when it happens when it's not declared. I've seen players think that the played the kickoff, just miss the punt, just missed the ball, whift on the ball, you know, either a total whiff or a partial whiff or whatever, and just caught a little piece of it. So, yeah, it's special teams one third of the game. Darren Simms will tell you that it's one third of the football game. It determines field position for points scored, yards in your favor, help your defense, potential turnovers as a result, maybe turnovers during the play, and special teams. It's a very important part of the game. There's no doubt.
Speaker 4: I love when obscure things happened. There was that game last year where just before the half a guy made a fair catch and they were able to take advantage of the rule where you can attempt the field goal with nobody up front to try to block it under those circumstances, and it worked. But these are the types of things that you might see once every twenty years. Yeah, like an onside punt.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, you know, and Paul Brown, we did that when he was head coach. Signal fair kit right for the half. Last play of that first half, signal fair catch went for like a fifty eight yard field goal, as I recall, something like that, fifty seven to fifty eight yards and just missed it, barely missed it, but made a heck of a run at it.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: It's a Friday, that means Friday Night Stripes presented by Ohio Catt is coming up tonight, celebrating high school football across the region with games, giveaways, and who Day Spirit. Catch the Bengals in your community. You can learn more at Bengals dot com. We're gonna take a time out. Coming up next, Bengals players react to what the front office did this week.
Speaker 13: This is the Bengals pep Rally Show. We are live at the on the Rhine Eatery.
Speaker 4: Orenburgs will join us in about thirty minutes here on ESPN fifteen to thirty lab in the Ballman Back on the Bengals pep Rally Show, live from the on the Rhine Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. Come out and join us. We're here until six. You can meet angles linebacker Orrin Burkes. He'll be here in about twenty five minutes or so for the final hour of our show.
Speaker 13: Let's get to the news of the day.
Speaker 4: It is the Kettering Health Injury Report, brought to you by the Kettering Health Network. A few guys to keep an eye on on Sunday in Green Bay. So Jamar Chase was at practice this morning. He was there for team meetings, but he wasn't feeling well, so they sent him home early. He's listed his questionable. I think he's going to play. I'm not too concerned about that one happen.
Speaker 13: What do you think?
Speaker 12: I agree with you, Dan, I think he's definitely going to play. You know, I think hopefully fluids, rest, rest, Yeah, getting a good, a really good night's sleep, and in not overdoing it the rest of the week physically because he is a worker now, he's a worker bee and he'll be in the weight room. He'll he'll be doing all kinds of things, treadmill. I mean, he's just always looking to improve his body. So take it easy, rest up, and get ready to kick the packers' asses.
Speaker 4: Make it butts please right Shamar Stuart did some practicing this week, but he's listed as doubtful for Sunday. I don't think we're going to see Schamar back yet with that ankle injury. Hopefully next Thursday at home against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Shamar Stuart will be in action. There's a concern at left guard. Dylan Fairchild is dealing with a sore knee. He didn't practice on Wednesday, he didn't practice on Thursday. He was limited at practice today, listed is questionable for Sunday. That one seems very iffy to me. If he can't play, You've got a couple of options. Obviously, I'm drawing a blank now, and who started at right guard at the beginning of the year the or no, hold on a second, let me get my chart here. I hate to blank out on you, all, right, Dal Reisner? Okay, Don Reisner started at right guard up in the second and third games. He's played plenty of left guard in the past, so Reisner could kick over the left guard. Lucas Patrick also returned to practice this week right He's been a full participant in practice. He's not back on the active roster yet, so they'd have to put him on the roster they'd have to make a roster move in order for him to play.
Speaker 13: That could happen.
Speaker 4: But if fair Child can't go, You've got two good veteran options in and Patrick, you.
Speaker 12: Do, you have two good veteran options Patrick. You know, even though he's practicing, the fact that he, you know, is still hasn't been activated as such is a little bit of a concern, but not much. I mean, I think if he's if he's practicing and going full go at practice, he should be okay. He should be ready to go.
Speaker 1: Is another.
Speaker 12: He's an interesting story. I mean, he's played a lot of football. He's been in multiple offenses, all different kinds of experiences, different teammates, working with different centers and tackles, knowing what that's like, getting up to speed where you're on the same page with your techniques and the fundamentals and everything that goes with it. But it doesn't happen overnight. And he has not had many snaps with any offensive lineman whatsoever on the Cincinnati Bengals roster. So right guard's a problem. Right guard's a question mark. You know, it's like an uncertainty in the offensive line and in the offensive position group or personnel. So the Green Bay Packers are circling it. There's no doubt defensive line, coach, coordinator, players, detackles, they're all gonna want to take their turn, take a shot at whoever's playing right guard. It's going to be interesting how they hold up.
Speaker 4: Jalen River is at right guard, and then either Fairchild if he can come back, or Reisner or Patrick at left.
Speaker 12: Guard right correct and you know it's going to be when you have three you don't have one. You know, that's the thing. If you're getting three guys ready to play, and there's there's nothing wrong with it, I don't. I don't think there's you know, the Bengals should receive the merits and they're grading for preparation for the court during the course of the week, for having multiple guys ready to play the left guard position, and you know, guard and center and tackle position overall. I think I think you should have as many as many players as you possibly can be able to play more than one position, because you know, sometimes injury bug really crops up during the course of the game and you're you guys are going down like flies and you need everything you got and they have to be able to do multiple things, but it's going to be interesting to see how Riisener does it right guard and whoever the left guard is. Just don't be a negative, you know, just just play solid football. Just when Ted Carris is passing a you know, a a stunting defensive lineman over there towards. You be there where you're when you're supposed to be there, how you're supposed to be there, doing what you're supposed to be when you're there. So that's gonna be interesting, and I'm sure they'll be ready.
Speaker 4: So the Bengals made a dramatic move on Tuesday with the acquisition a veteran quarterback Joe Flacco, and then announced on Wednesday he will be the starter this Sunday against the Packers.
Speaker 13: Why did they do it? Why did they do it?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's pretty clear Jake Browning was really struggling. If you heard him in his postgame news conference on Sunday, it sound like sounded like his confidence was shot. It's understandable that the team would think, well, man, we know he can play, but we can't really afford to let him break out of a slump. We've got to do something ye to try to stay in the race because the AFC is a jumbled mess. The Ravens are one in four, the Chiefs are two and three. Pittsburgh's three and one, but the jury's still out on just how good Pittsburgh is. The Bengals are trying to stay in the hunt with the hopes that Joe Burrow is back in December, and Joe fully intends to return if the games are meaningful. So the front office is acted. The players appreciate it. Here's tight end.
Speaker 18: Mike KASICKI credit to them for understanding, you know, the talent in this locker room, and.
Speaker 1: You know, just giving us.
Speaker 18: The uh the opportunity to go out there and you know, be really uh competitive here and see where we can kind of go in these next I would say four or five weeks leading into that bye week, and uh, you know, I honestly have an opportunity here to play two games in five days or whatever the heck it is. So that's a great opportunity to you know, when you're in a slump, we'll go win two in five days and that'll that'll that'll help turn it around.
Speaker 12: So great opportunity for us and a lot of excitement.
Speaker 1: In the locker room, all right.
Speaker 4: So I think Mike Kasicki set it up pretty well there. The Bengals have a very tough game coming up on Sunday. Green Bay is an ex excellent team.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: They've got a big home field advantage at Lambeau. Even if Joe Flacco plays great, it might not be enough to beat the Packers. So let's just say that the Bengals don't win on Sunday. After that, three straight home games Thursday night game against Pittsburgh. Thursday home games are a big advantage, yep. A home game against the Jets, the only team that hasn't won a game home game against the Bears. The Bears are getting better, but they're not good yet.
Speaker 16: Right.
Speaker 4: You could lose on Sunday, win those three games and be over five hundred five and four going into your bye week.
Speaker 12: And more than halfway halfway point of the season, basically five and four steal in the thick of all of it. And I think that's what they're they're thinking, at least that, you know, I fully expect them. I'm not saying they're gonna go up there and beat Green Bay. They're a heavy underdog, you know, green Bay should be favored, and they are. And like you said, Dan, the biggest reason lambeau Field Man. That place is tough. It's a tough place to play. Played there two or three times, two times anywhere that I can recall right off the top of my head, And I mean, couldn't hear myself, think, could not hear any cadence that was being said by the quarterback, couldn't hear the center and turn around to look at me and calling sig calling, making calls to set up blocking patterns. Couldn't hear that, couldn't hear anything, And that is unsettling. That gives you a feeling of discomfort, you know, and next thing you know, you're not You're unsure and uncertainty and and and when you're unsure and uncertain, it makes cowards of all of us, you know. So you got to go out there and be brave, breaking the huddle, get to the lone of scrimmage, feel good about what you're doing, how you're doing it, play at a at a level of intensity that you know you can be proud of. That crowd, though, is going to try to make it difficult. I mean they just look right at you. And laugh at you and get louder. It's a very very difficult place to play in terms of I mean they you know, those meters a measure crowd noise. They try to peg that meter every single snap. I mean, they're crazy up there.
Speaker 4: Speaking of Packers fans, when my son was born, just for the fun of it, I decided to put him on the Packers season ticket weight list.
Speaker 12: Can he's still waiting.
Speaker 4: We were living in Boston at the time. Who knows where he would be when the age came that he'd be able to buy his tickets. I just thought, what the heck, who knows, Maybe he'll be living in Chicago by then. Sure, so I put him on the wait list. Sam is now nineteen years old. Every year you get a postcard that updates you where you are on the list. We got it maybe three or four weeks ago. Nineteen years into his life, he is eighty eight thousand, one hundred and twenty four people away.
Speaker 12: That's unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Last year the list dropped by one thousand and seven and seventy three. So at that pace, another fifty years from now, approximately when he's almost seventy years old, he'll be able to get tickets. Historically it takes about fifty years to get your get your person spot on the list.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 12: So Sam, he'll be about my age when he's able to try to secure and procure.
Speaker 4: Unless there's some good years between now and then where a bunch of tickets open up.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'll tell you it's that that place is, you know, it's it's a unique place to play, There's no doubt about it. And when you're a Packer fan, you're a Packer fan for life. Like the like those lists just that you recited, just confirmed Dan, I mean it's crazy. My in laws by marriage, Dave's mother and father in law live up there, and many it's Green Bay Packer tickets are impossib That's like, you know, that's the number one item on everybody's wish list, gift list for Christmas. You know, it's like, hey, Santa Claus is going to be bringing some season tickets down the chimney. It's it's a great place to play. I know, guys have met guys that have played for the Green Bay Packers, And when you're a player in Green Bay, you don't pay for a thing, man, I mean, you pay for nothing, housing, cars or you know, get given to you meals. There's not a bar tab that ever makes its way to a Green Bay Packer. That place is great to play with all the fringies man.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: Coming up next, one of the number one things the Bengals are going to have to do on Sunday to have a shot at beating the Packers is handling number one. Micah Parsons A Marius Mims talks about that challenge when we come back.
Speaker 13: This is the Bengals pep Rowley Shell live.
Speaker 4: From the on the Ride here in downtown Cincinnati on ESPN fifteen thirty. Welcome back to the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Fair Chicken, live from the on the Ryan Eatery the Food Haul above the downtown Kroger. Come out and join us. We're here every Friday between three and six. Actually, I should amend that some weeks it's going to be two thirty to five thirty based on other programming. We'll tell you when that's the case, but most of the time it's three to six, and we typically have a Bengals player join us in the final hour of the show. That will be the case today. We'll be joined by linebacker Orren Burks in just a few minutes. The Bengals take on the Packers at lambeau Field this Sunday. This game got tougher for Cincinnati in late August when the Packers made a trade. They sent three time Pro bowler Kenny Clark to the Dallas Cowboys along with two first round draft picks to get Micah Parsons. For good reason, He's been a pro for four years. He's been a Pro Bowler all four He's certainly one of the best defensive players in the league, and the Packers showed how they felt about him by not only making that trade, but by giving him a four year, one hundred and eighty eight million dollar extension forty seven million dollars a year for a defensive player. That is a record for a non quarterback.
Speaker 1: He got paid, boy, sure did.
Speaker 4: Bengals faced him last year when he was still with the Dallas Cowboys. Cincinnati won the game. A Marius Mims was the primary guy that had to block him. Michael Parsons didn't have a sack and didn't have a tackle in that game. I've talked to a Marius Mims this week so about about trying to handle miche Micah Parsons again.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I mean, I think Michael's the best d N in the NFL other than Miles Garrett. If you hasn't, he's just the guys who I haven't played against. The don't be a challenge at always, especially on the road. It's gonna be a game worse about me again, honestly, just just doing what coaches telling me in practice, and you know, how can you know, trying to mutralize them as much as possible and knowing you know, he's gonna make his fair share of plays, you know. I mean, it's gonna happen with a guy like that. But really, like I said, my mind set is relative to just you know, go out there and play the game football. Do I can play, continue to get better, and you know, if I let woman, like not let one Mian's stake or one you know, one small minor, you know, step in that game and turn.
Speaker 1: Into like the whole game.
Speaker 19: So, like I said, boy against a great player, not one of the best players on defense, and ever, I mean, I think he's a good Like I said, you know he's a good player, but I know he's a good player. But I said, I'm ready for the challenge. You know, like I said, last year, he was with another team last year who played in Dallas, and this year is gonna be in on Green Bay, so it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 4: Do you gain confidence from having played him and having held out?
Speaker 19: I feel like, you know, in this league, gotta have accomplish against everybody because if not, you will you will get killed in this league. Like I said, there's too many good guys. If you're not confident in yourself first, then I feel like, you know it's gonna You're gonna be in the world of trouble is billing and os with you. So just going out there playing stress free, just going out there knowing the you know you're not gonna play a perfect game, but knowing like I said, if you beat that guy across from you more time than he bahu, you know what I'm saying, you have a good chance to win, especially with that guy right there. If you can neutralize him, you know we got a good chance.
Speaker 4: Lapp, tell me what the week was like in your playing days when you knew you were going to be blocking me and Joe Green or Cray Culp, one of the elite players.
Speaker 13: Of your era.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's a good question, Dan, I remember vividly, not a whole lot of sleep, you know. I mean, you think about it all the time, every waking moment. You're thinking about how am I going to counter his best move? You watch, you study film back then, tape today, and you study it and study it and study it some more and try to find tells. Tells are something that they do. Maybe they change their stance, maybe you know, they shift their weight, whatever it might be, to give you an idea, a little bit of a an edge as to what they're thinking about doing and how they're going to do it. So those guys are a challenge, I mean, a supreme it's the ultimate challenge. It's the best that the NFL has to offer the best of the best. But if you perform well, all of a sudden, there be around the league is Oh wow, man, who's seventy one over there right tackle for the Bengals. Yeah, I've heard about him, mimp. That dude's a player, man. Look at look at how he handled u Michaeh. Parsons on the edge. Not a whole lot of people can handle Michael Parsons like that. Toss him around and and uh and keep him from you know, wrecking a football game against your offensive football team. So that's how you have to look at it. You have to look at it as not like, oh boy, what's gonna what's gonna happen to me? I mean, how many times are you gonna beat me? You don't want to go in there thinking negatively. You want to go in there just the opposite thinking positively. It's my time to shine. I get a chance to go block Michaeh. Parsons, I'm gonna show the league I'm a football player.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, take a time out. Coming up next, Joe Flacco explains why he is still playing at the age of forty. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Beared Chicken live from the on the Ryan Eatery on ESPN fifteen thirty. On first and goal from the five, Flacco looking to pass his throw caught in the middle of the end zone by Cedric Tilman for a Cleveland go ahead touchdown.
Speaker 12: Joe Flacco gives the old fish pump have to throwing that pass in the middle of the field, realizing that his receiver caught it for the touchdown, good route run by Cedric Tilman. Flaco had his eyes on him the whole way and delivered a strike.
Speaker 4: That was Back in Week one, Joe Flacco threw for two hundred and ninety yards in that game, again Cincinnati. Fortunately, the Bengals came away with the win, thanks in part to some poor kicking by the Browns a rookie kicker Andre Schmidt. But in any case, wasn't Joe Flacco's fault. He played well and now he'll look to play well in a Bengals uniform this Sunday and beyond until the return of Joe Burrow. Joe Flacco a former Super Bowl MVP. This is his eighteenth NFL season. He's made something like one hundred and eighty four million dollars in the NFL. He's the father of five. He's a terrific guy. From all accounts. Everybody that knows him seems to love him. I asked him earlier today, all right, with all of those accolades and the money and the young family, et cetera, why are you still doing it?
Speaker 13: Here's what he had to say.
Speaker 17: I just feel like I have like a lot to offer to a football team. I feel like I've put in a lot of work my whole life to get to this point in just terms of playing in the NFL in general, and I have a I hopefully will have a long life when I'm done. But you only get a chance to play in the NFL once, and I feel like I've worked really hard, like I said, to be a guy that gets to play in the NFL, and I don't want to take that for granted.
Speaker 16: I still like I can play the.
Speaker 17: Game at a high level, and I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror when I'm fifty years old and be able to say that, you know, I gave it everything I had.
Speaker 16: Lap.
Speaker 4: When I hear those words from Joe Flacco, I'm reminded of something you told me about your first offensive line coach, Tiger Johnson, who told you when you were just starting out, do this as long as you can.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that was his advice. So you know, it's like, do this as long as you can. You're never going to find anything like it. It's the most unique way to make a living that there is out there. When you're a professional athlete, you're blessed and you're very fortunate and very lucky. You understand that and take full advantage of it. And I think Joe Flacco doesn't want to retire too soon and then be watching games say I can still do that. I can do that better than him. I can throw the ball better than he's throwing it Right now. I shouldn't have retired. I still have football left in me. You want to be in when you're done playing. You want to be an old, washed up, retired football player that has nothing left to offer from a playing standpoint. Maybe get into coaching, whatever your post playing career. But he's not there yet. I think he realizes he has miles to go before he sleeps.
Speaker 4: It looked like his career might be over two years ago. He was on the couch for much of the season, and then the Browns were desperate in late November they reached out to him. He wound up starting a few weeks later and had this incredible renaissance where he threw for three hundred plus yards in four straight games, led them to the playoffs, won the Comeback Player of the Year award. I think that reinforced his love of the game and his desire to keep on going until nobody will give me a deal.
Speaker 12: I agree, Dan, because he realized five straight games three hundred yards or more passing, I can still play, and everybody in the league now knows that I can still play. So I mean, there's going to be a lot of people out there that would like to have my services, you know, and I'm going to be paid well for services rendered. I still you know, I made a lot of money for my family. I've been very fortunate in that regard, but there's nothing wrong with making more.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 12: I might as well go out there and do what I can do better than most people can do until I can't do it anymore. That's what it boils down to. You know, he wasn't done. He wasn't done playing. He wasn't done enjoying the locker room with his teammates. You know, there's something to be said for that. Like Tiger also said, Man, this is unique. Boys, You're never going to experience anything like this. You're never gonna experience relationships like this that you have with your teammates outside of the game of football. Enjoy it while you can.
Speaker 4: Man, when he takes the field on Sunday, he will become the first forty year old to ever play for the Senseinnati Bengals, the oldest player in franchise history before Joe Flacco, long snapper Clark Harris, who is still in a Bengals uniform at the age of thirty eight.
Speaker 13: Two hours in the.
Speaker 4: Books, one hour to go Orrin Burks will be here momentarily. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Baar Chicken, live from the on the Rhine Eatery on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 20: This is fifteen thirty w c came on Snatty, the fifty thousand orange and black home of the Cincinnati Bengals. Cincinnati's ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 2: This is Bengals pep Rally presented by Just Bared Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 16: Paycre.
Speaker 2: Paycor is proud to be the official hr software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering Health Best Care for the Best Fans. Kettering Health, Official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen thirty, the official home of t us Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 4: It is a Friday afternoon here in the Queens City. The work week is just about done. The happy hour is underway, and we've got a lot of football to look forward to. High school football tonight, bearcat football tomorrow at noon at home against UCF, and of course the Bengals heading to Green Bay to take on the Packers this Sunday at four twenty five. You're listening to the Bengals pep Rowley Show presented by Just Bear Chicken. We are live as we are every Friday afternoon here at the on the Rhine Eatery, that is the food hall above the downtown Kroger. Every week we have a player join us in the final hour, and we are delighted to welcome our guest today. He's in his eighth NFL season, his first year with the Cincinnati Bengals. He's wearing a wedding ring today, but he could be wearing a Super Bowl ring because he won one last year with the Philadelphia Eagles. Let's welcome linebacker and special teams Ace Orrin Berks.
Speaker 16: Thank you guys for having me, happy to be here.
Speaker 4: Thank you for showing tell us about that Super Bowl ring. Did that baby look when you opened up the little box and got your first look at that ring?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, the ring ceremony was the weekend before we started camp, and I had the ability to go to Philadelphia and you know, experience that with my teammates for one last time, and you open the box and just taken away by how big big the ring is, how the details that they put into it, and you know, just the journey to get to that point.
Speaker 16: So it was definitely a special moment.
Speaker 12: Yeah, the journey is special. And I never I played in the Super Bowl as a player, but never won it. But and I remember how crestfallen I was, how bitterly disappointed I was in the locker room, and just an unbelievable feeling just kind of swarms you, you know, all over you. But I do remember that same season winning the AOC championship game and going in that locker room and how celebratory it was, and it's like, man, it was an unbelievable place to be. The adrenaline rush that you got was even more than you got when you were playing in the football game. What's it like to win a Super Bowl? Tell me what the adrenaline rush is like when you win the darn thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're definitely on a high. Just you know, all the emotions and you know kind of comes to you in stages. You know, you're kind of in shock right after it happens and you don't know what to what to expect, of what to think. But I feel like it didn't really hit me until the parade. We get back to Philadelphia and the streets are filled with Eagles fans and you know, just just really get to embrace the moment and just be where your feet are and that that was just really really cool experience in it my wife as well on the parade tour. So I hope we can bring that here to Cincinnati.
Speaker 13: Amen.
Speaker 16: That's up.
Speaker 1: We're all hoping for no doubt.
Speaker 4: I mentioned it's year eight for you in the NFL or and in the previous seven you've been on playoff teams six times. Wow, you have been on winning teams year after year after year. Do you feel blessed that that's been the case.
Speaker 16: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: I have a very fortunate path, you know, starting with Green Bay, going to San Francisco, and then finishing with with the with the Eagles last year missing the playoffs. Only my rookie year have I think five NFC championship games, two Super Bowls in a row. Like it's It's unheard of in anybody's career. So I don't take anything for granted. But you know, in all those situations at the locker room is the key having a great group of guys that get what it takes, you know, to get to that level and you're going to experience some anniversary like we are right now, and you know, it's how you bounce back from that.
Speaker 12: So your quarterback is forty years old, That to me is mind boggling, and I'm like, you got to be kidding me. He can still come and play in the National Football League at a high level, not just play, but play in a dominant type level of performance at the age of forty years old. I mean, there's no quit in Joe Flacco. What what is he? When when the players saw him for the first time, you know, in the locker room walking around or whatever and getting ready to go out and perform, what was going for everybody's mind. It was like, yeah, man, check out Joe Flacco.
Speaker 1: He looks pretty good, doesn't he.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think immediately he just brings a sense of poise and experience. You know, he's seen probably every look you could think of in the game of football. Yeah, just throw into a lot of great receivers in this time. But again, just his poise, the way he handles the huddle. Huddle, even just his first week with a new offense, it seems like he's been in this offense for a while. From from a deepest perspective, so excited to see what he does this week.
Speaker 4: I saw the news break on social media. Jamar Chase said yesterday that t Higgins called him with the news. Jamar said he thought it was BS, but then he double checked and it turned out to be true. How did you learn that Joe Flacco is now your teammate?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was actually in the in the locker room getting some recovery in on the off day, and you know, reading reading through social media, and I see it pop up, and you know, there's a couple other guys in the locker room at the same time, so all of our heads pop up at the same time. We're like, WHOA, what the heck is going on? So it's just one of those moments. I feel like for fans, they think we get the inside scoop beforehand, but a lot of times we're finding out at the same time as the fans do. So uh, Yeah, just welcome him with open arms, and you know he's gonna step in and do his job.
Speaker 12: That's that's the thing I think that's impressive about him step in and be a good teammate and do his job. Guys that I've talked to, both coaches and players with the Bengals and other teams, say that this guy is ego lists. You know, it's not all about Joe Flacco. You know, he's not. He's not looking at teammates and saying, you know, you're beneath me. You know, I've played in this league forever, longer than you're ever gonna think about playing, and I put up numbers that you're never gonna even think about matching. But it's it doesn't phase him the way that you think it might. What type of guy is Joe Flacco in the locker room?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've had a few encounters with him, but every one of them has been, you know, a great delight just really getting to know him as a person. And the way that he leads as a quarterback is gonna be different from somebody else, you know, But like I said, the experience that he has, he definitely, you know, carries that in his professionalism and his poise and excited to see how it turns out for this weekend in Green Bay.
Speaker 4: He played against him before. Anything stand out from those previous meetings.
Speaker 16: Yeah, he can.
Speaker 1: He can definitely deal the ball and get the ball out when he needs to. He is on time with all of his reads. You know, we just played the Browns not too long ago, so you know, matching up against this guy now he's in our locker room is always a crazy thing in the league where you know, at any point in time and he could be in your locker room, you can get traded, you know, this crazy stuff that could happen. But excited to have him on board.
Speaker 12: He's playing against Green Bay Packers his second time.
Speaker 16: Yeah, this year that he's.
Speaker 12: Played three weeks, three weeks that he's played against the Green Bay Packers, So he knows what he's going to be looking at. He knows what the Green Bay Packers have defensive and they have a good, solid defensive football team everywhere. They've got sound NFL players. But you know, you're in a shitch situation where this this game is important. Then you have three in a row at home that you can really make some Hey, how important is this stretch and does Joe Joe flaccoll obviously realize realizes how important it is. And I'm sure he's excited about leading the football team.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 1: For him, it's just getting into rhythm. You know, in this new offense. He could almost write this scout of report. You know, like you said, he played him a couple of weeks ago, so he's very familiar with their personnel. But it's it's a familiar with our defense, you know. I know he's putting the time in extra meeting with the coaches and the players to be at his put his best foot forward. So it's our job, you know, as guys that have been here, that that have established culture with the Bengals, and really everybody's got to elevate their game, special teams, defense, everybody has to do their part to you know, uplift his his his debut as a Bengal.
Speaker 4: Our special guest today here in the Bengals pep Rally Show is linebacker Oran Burks. We are live at the on the Ryan Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. When we come back, well, listen back to one of the key plays that Oron made in the playoffs last year. Helped the Philadelphia Eagles win a Super Bowl title. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 13: Welcome back to the Bengals pep.
Speaker 4: Rally Show, presented by just Baar chick In. We appreciate the Bengals fans are with us here this afternoon. We're getting you set for the Bengals and Packers coming up at lambeau Field this Sunday at four to twenty five. The Bengals looking to even the record at three and three before coming home for three home games in a row against the Steelers, Jets, and Chicago Bears. Our special guest this afternoon is Orrin Burks. As we mentioned earlier, he captured a Super Bowl ring excuse me last year as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles. To win that Super Bowl, Philadelphia had to capture four postseason games. The first playoff game was against the Green Bay Packers, and we're gonna listen back to how that playoff game began.
Speaker 11: Keyshawn Nixon is deep and we're underway another game in the National Football League postseason. Nixon will take it on the far side. Outside of the numbers to the twenty on a diagonal twenty five and he is smashed and he lost the football. It's inside the thirty and recovered by the Eagles. Or and Burks knocked it loose.
Speaker 12: Boy, what a hit that was.
Speaker 13: Or In Burkes just laid an unbelievable shot on Keyshawn Nixon to knock that ball out.
Speaker 1: Holy count.
Speaker 4: That's quite a way to begin the playoffs by forcing a fumble on the opening kickoff that your team recovers to begin the road to winning a Super Bowl.
Speaker 13: Describe that play.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it's special.
Speaker 1: You know, before the game, I told myself that I wanted to have a game, a play that was going to change the game. And you know, what better way to set the tone for the playoffs and than the force funball and the kickoff.
Speaker 16: So obviously a lot of a lot of emotions right after that.
Speaker 1: I probably blacked out, didn't know what happened afterwards, but uh, you know, really just wanted to it force like the physicality that we wanted to have the whole throughout the whole playoffs. So that really set the tone.
Speaker 12: That play like that, in the physicality, like you talking about, that's contagious to the rest of your teammates.
Speaker 16: But when you.
Speaker 12: Force the turnover on special teams on the first, very first time the ball is in play, the balls kicked return man's returning the football, Arren Burks knocks it out of his possession, puts a big hit on him. You changed the game. I mean, the whole dynamic changes now all of a sudden, they're they're behind the possession. You guys have an extra possession. They're never able to catch up unless you have a miserable, miserable day of turnovers yourself. Did any of that go through your mind or was it just pure elation of man I hit the crap.
Speaker 16: Out of him.
Speaker 1: Man, Yeah, I mean honestly, right away I was like, I hope I don't get a flag off of this, which was you know, it would have been worth it in the and then but uh, you know, I've just made a great wrap tackle and our offense goes and scores right away, you know, again just to start ahead. And then at the end end of the next half we start with the ball against. Yeah, that's that's a big, big piece intended.
Speaker 12: You get the ball to start the second half, and you've basically got it to start the game as well because of your play. It's unreal.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So you were a key special teamer for Philadelphia last year and a valuable part of the linebacker rotation as well. But then in the postseason, na Kobe Dean gets hurt, you move into the starting lineup. You start the last three playoff games, including the Super Bowl. You played great, also forced to fumble in the NFC Championship game against Washington. So what did it mean to you to be thrust into that role when it mattered most and deliver?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 1: For me, always prepare like I'm a starter. You know, never know when your opportunity is gonna come. And you know, throughout my career, I've been a still harder special teams ace and you know, I kind of up and down. And for me, I just have so much joy in the process of learning about myself.
Speaker 16: What is going to prepare me to be the best.
Speaker 1: When when I get on the field, and uh, just really enhancing my room, the people around me. That's always been, you know, something I take great pride in, uh. And you know, to have the opportunity to play in the postseason. I have a ton of respect for Nakobe and the way that he led the team this past year.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 1: And you for me, a lot of it was doing him him him justice, you know, for him to go out.
Speaker 16: It is really tough to have a great year.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 16: But I wanted to put my best foot forward for.
Speaker 1: The team, uh, to add value where I could, and uh, you know it just led to even more of a special you know, super Bowl like having that that role, you know, going throughout postseason. Uh and knowing that it was mostly special teams, you know, throughout the whole year.
Speaker 16: But I knew I was gonna be ready when my opportunity came up.
Speaker 12: Heck of a heck of a thing to be on a super Bowl winning team. Man, that that's some memory that will be there forever for sure. Let's go back to maybe even high school and maybe even earlier than that. What coach was it that taught you the fundamentals the techniques necessary to be able to compete in the game of football? I mean, who was that that I saw?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 12: This guy, man, he's a specialmen.
Speaker 1: This kid's gonna be able to play.
Speaker 12: I have to do everything I can to just teach him as much as I know about the game.
Speaker 16: Who is the guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a couple I was actually a late, late starter to football. I played basketball, baseball, soccer, and I didn't really play football until my freshman year of high school. And that was really just to hang out with my friends. You know, going into you know, high school, you want to gather as many friends as you can, and sure.
Speaker 16: A lot of them were playing football.
Speaker 1: So I loved being competitive in athletics and just naturally thought i'd be a wide receiver. I was a tall guy and played safety as well, and I you know, moved all over the ball on defense throughout my time in high school. But one coach in particular, I would say Jerry Pinoni. He was my coach basically my junior year on and he just really instilled just hard work, running to the ball, like all the fundamentals that you need in terms of mentality that you know, really kind of helped me become the player I am today. And that's kind of when my football career took off. Was about my junior year. We went on the States run, ended up losing the state championship game, but that's when I really fell in love with the game of football, just the guys around me. Kwamena Van Dyke was one of my best friends that he was a linebacker with me as well, and he just taught me a lot about the physicality and the mindset that you have to have. And a number of guys that I'm still friends with today. I have a group text with guys that I went to problem with. Really, it's just special to have those people that you grew up with have bonded with and they share very similar values. We're all married, have kids and stuff now, so it's kind of cool to share those stories. But push Bnoni. He instilled a great deal that hard work and work ethic and all of us. Is she still with us, Yes, he's still with us. Yeah. Yeah, well he's got to be proud of you. Man.
Speaker 16: Absolutely, she reached out here. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we keep in contact probably once year, at least once a year or so. But yeah, he's doing a great jobs. Cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he played college football at Vanderbilt. How heavily were you recruited and why did you choose Vandy?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I ended up with I think it was like fifteen offers, but ultimately got it down between UVA and Vanderbilt's very similar schools.
Speaker 16: Yeah, academics was very important.
Speaker 1: My sister she played softball and ended up at Stanford for so for our family, you know, academics was something very important being a student athlete. So ultimately take the leap of faith coming out of Nashville. Didn't really know anybody down there, but fell in love with the campus, the culture, and the guys there, and that was the best decision that could have made for me. Met my wife there. She went to Belmont and played volleyball there right across the street. And volleyball.
Speaker 16: Yeah, volleyball.
Speaker 1: Nice shoutout the volleyball Vanderbilt actually just got a volleyball team as well. But yeah, it's it's what we call home. That's where we are during the off season. So I have a ton of love for Nashville right down the road only four hours and this is the closest.
Speaker 16: We've been, you know that. Yeah, with the NFL team.
Speaker 13: So you got to be excited by what Bandy's doing now.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, the guys are rolling. The guys are rolling. You got a great quarterback in Pavia and coach Lee. I really just just believe what he's doing. He's building this program the right way, and the guys are inspired out.
Speaker 16: There on the field.
Speaker 12: So when did you move from receiver defensive back. I mean, did you just keep growing and filling out and all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was actual, I was a skinny guy all the way through. I was receiver in safety, and then my junior year I played like outside and they even had my hand in the dirt for a little bit playing defensive end, and then moved back to inside and had a very similar story in college. I came in recruited as a linebacker and then read schard that first year, and then I played two years of free safety, so I was the middle post running around trying to make tackles, and then I played a hybrid and then came back to inside linebacker. So I've played all over the field, but for me, I always just wanted to find a way to add value wherever I was.
Speaker 16: Just find a way to make a play.
Speaker 12: You're a smart football player. The intelligence factor, I know is something that the Bengals were attracted to. You've played all these positions and these different defensive scheme addicts and everything. What did you study academically? What was your What was your major?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a human organizational development major, which is basically our business degree. At Bandy, we didn't have an undergrad business school there, so that was that was what I pursued and did a corporate strategy minor as well, So that's definitely the business business route at Bandy Good.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Have you given much thought to a life post football?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I always just want to be prepared whenever that time comes, but milking the league out for as long as I can, but do a little bit of real estate on the side, some business and things like that, but just definitely focused on, you know, making the most of.
Speaker 13: His career right now as long as you can.
Speaker 12: Man, I'm telling you, that's that's what Paul Brown and my first line coach, Paul Brown, Tiger Tiger John said, make them take the uniform off back player as long as you can. There's no doubt, There's no question about it. So you ever thought about coaching, I mean, I think you would be like an unbelievable influence on young players, a positive influence in terms of your football IQ and your overall ability and versatility and everything you've done in the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I definitely can see myself coaching in the future. On what level that is. I have a ton of time to figure that out. And sure you know, definitely, right when I finished retire, we plan on taking a year off and you know, seeing what our family looks like, maybe traveling and pursuing those dreams. But you know, down the road, I definitely can see myself coaching.
Speaker 4: You've got two rookies in your room and Demetrius Knight and Barrett Carter. How much of a mentor ship role are you playing with them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, those guys have been great, a great group of rookies. They came in with the right mindset. Obviously the athletic ability, but I've been really impressed with the way that they've been able to pick up this defense and really take accountability for it. They're making all the checks, making like just flying around, So it's just fun to see. I think one of the biggest things that I appreciate it is just having a great linebacker room, Logan Wilson leading the way and those young guys really stepping up to the to.
Speaker 16: The task at hand.
Speaker 1: And I think we have a great group of character guys that want to see each other succeed. And that's not the same across the league. You know, there's definitely some times where you're like you get a little jealous here and there, but I really feel that we're truly positive with each other, trying to, you know, instill wisdom that you can help them become a better players and they can help us as well.
Speaker 16: So it's a it's a circle.
Speaker 12: Another thing I remember as a young football player in the National Football League was how these athletes are such freaks. I mean, they're freaks of nature. And I'm like, I don't know if I can do this. I mean, I don't know if I could hang with these guys. These guys are just it's amazing. I know, I didn't close my eyes. How did he get from there to there?
Speaker 19: Man?
Speaker 1: How did he move so fast?
Speaker 12: And I mean it was like Isaac Curtis are one of our wide receivers. This guy ran, you know, like a like a nine two or nine three hundred meters or whatever the heck it was. I mean, he was on last guy that didn't make He was an alternated on the Olympic team sprinter, and he would just I'm just run by people and catch the back half of the football. You had sticky fingered hands, like glue on his hands. Just a dominant, a dominant at his position group. And then a guy named Mike Reid, a defensive lineman out of Penn State. This guy was cat quick. It was like, oh my gosh, man, this guy's turning fifty five hundred and sixty pounds and he moves like he's about one eighty. How the heck did these guys do this? What are they eating?
Speaker 1: You know, what are they doing in workouts? Did you?
Speaker 12: Did you have any of that? Like when you were a young player in the league. It's like, man, this guy, I mean, I know, I've watched him. I knew he was good, but I didn't realize he was this good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean just coming into the league with Clay Matthews, you know, Aaron Rodgers, obviously, Boktiari was a great left tackle.
Speaker 16: Yeah. We had a ton of.
Speaker 1: Guys out there in Green Bay and just seeing what they could do at a high level. I was like, all right, I gotta step my game up, you know, saying so I watched exactly what the bets were doing at Mercedes.
Speaker 16: Lewis was a great example.
Speaker 1: He tight end that played in the league for a long time. Yeah, I literally just watched what he did. He was getting in the song and he was cold plunging. He was getting extra work with the trainers, and I was like, all right, he's been playing in the league for a long time, so I'm going to do exactly what he does and taking care of yeah, exactly. So from there you kind of figure out what your own routine looks like, what works for you, And it's kind of a trial and everything you know throughout your career.
Speaker 16: You figure out you know, all right.
Speaker 1: I have to have massage, massage on this day so I can feel my best for practice. Yeah, it's just a process of figuring out what.
Speaker 16: Works works best for you.
Speaker 4: Linebacker Orrin Burks is our gasty obviously started his NFL career with the Green Bay Packers.
Speaker 13: That's where the Bengals are headed.
Speaker 4: This Sunday, we'll talk about the return to Lembo Field. This is the Bengals Pep Browley Show presented by Just Their Chicken from the on the on the Ryan Eatery Here on ESPN fifteen thirty. Dave lap Book broadcasting from the on the Rind Eatery. This afternoon, if the Bengals Pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear Chicken, our special guest in the final hour of our show is Bengals linebacker Arren Burke so Orren spent the first four years of his NFL career with the team the Bengals are playing this week.
Speaker 13: The Green Bay Packers.
Speaker 4: Defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery spent nine years working for Green Bay, and I asked Jerry earlier this week about returning to lambeau Field.
Speaker 9: You definitely feel the history.
Speaker 14: It's an unbelievable place to work and unbelievable place to play a football game. You walk through the tunnels and you fill it. It's neat even practicing there. There's an air about it. So and what's cool is when you pull in and you see now it's a little different now because people have tore down those homes and built massive places across the street. They're big tailgate places. It's just it's a really neat environment. It's probably as close to college environment as you'll feel in most places. But yeah, neat venue, a lot of history and cool place.
Speaker 4: Did you feel the history when you played for the Green Bay Packers?
Speaker 1: Absolutely everything you said is spot on. It's just a special place, especially for me to start my career. There a historic organization very much like the Bengals, and you definitely feel that sense of pride. Even just going to the grocery store on a Wednesday, you see everybody in Packers gear and that's consistent every single week.
Speaker 16: They just love football there.
Speaker 1: I categorize it as a grown ups college sound almost. It's just that kind of feel just going through a neighborhood and then opens up in Lambo's right there. So this will be my first time coming back to Lambero as an opponent. I've played them almost every year, but they've always come to us, so this will.
Speaker 13: Be my first time going back, so that's got to be special.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, absolutely look forward to it. You know, I guess this one's way off the wall. I guess in terms of it's not football related. But people love to be part of the Green Bay Packer organization in any way, shape or form that they can. And some, just like a stadium worker, does their job and does their job exceptually well, takes great pride in it. They think they're part of the Green Bay Packers organization and uh and and those those people are there forever did you make friendships you strike up any friendships with any of those those folks.
Speaker 16: Yeah, there's a there's a lot of people that I'm looking forward to seeing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when we get back, even from you know, the guy that does the headsets, you know on the sideline and the equipment guys or a lot of them are still there, so it be a lot of familiar faces. So looking forward to to catching up with those guys.
Speaker 14: Cool.
Speaker 1: That's one of the cool things about the league is when you're in it long enough, it's a lot of familiar faces. Everybody bounces around. But like like you said, Lambeau Is is just it's just one of those historic places that, yeah, everybody just loves to be attached to.
Speaker 4: Green Bay is the smallest city in the US that has a major professional sports team. It's a city of about one hundred thousand people. Are you instantaneously recognized as a Packers player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's say you stand out. You stand out a tall, black athletic, like a guy you probably probably playing the Packers out there. But yeah, it's it's a great town. Everybody is very very kind, even to your families while you're out in public.
Speaker 16: But I enjoyed my time there.
Speaker 12: When you came to the Cincinnati Bengals, I know you would probably you know from a distance seeing guys like study watch tape. Back in the day it was film, I'd watch film with guys you're watching tape, Jamar, Chase T Higgins, Mike Sicky, andre Yosi Vash, these guys that can really cause problems for a defensive football team. Are you expecting your offense to really go up there and make a statement? You know, say to the Green Bay Packers, not today. I know it's your home, I know you've got a great crowd support, I know you've got a fan base that's second to none, But not today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's definitely my expectation. It's interesting, this is you know, as long as I've been in the league, this is my first time being on the AFC side, so you know, I've kind of seen these guys from AFAR, but not necessarily every year matchup. It's been kind of like sporadic throughout, but going through camp and you know, seeing those guys up close to the way that they work their work ethic and how they get off releases for tomorrow or t like all those guys, It's it's impressive. And I've been a lot of ben around a lot of greats with Davante Adams, and Brandon and I you a couple other guys, you know, but these guys are cream of the crop, and it's it's fun to be on the opposing side. It challenges you even more as especially as a linebacker, just finding ways to get underneath to help the dbs out on the backside.
Speaker 16: So it's it's been fun to see them up close.
Speaker 4: You were there when Jordan Love was drafted. He had to wait his turn for three years before becoming the starting quarterback, but I'm sure you practiced against him. What are your impressions of Jordan Love?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, he's he's grown so much in his in his time in the in the league, and I just knew he was gonna be ready when the opportunity came, just the way he carried himself. It's obviously a unique situation to step in two as a first rounder and you know you're you're behind one of the greats, Aaron Rodgers. He's gonna be a gold jacket guy in the future. But just the way that he handled himself, his intention to detail, even on scout team was amazing. He can make all the throws, so you just knew that when his time was gonna come he was gonna shine. So just super proud of him in the way that he you know, he's progressed throughout his career, but he's an opponent this week, so looking forward to getting after it there you go.
Speaker 12: I know when I played, there was like a sense of responsibility to the community because the Bengals were such a big part of the community. You know, tried to put the community in the best light possible, traveling all over the different parts of the country, playing games representing a city Cincinnati. Same thing with the Reds and they had their big run with Pete Rose and Johnny Bench and all these all these great players did the green Bay Packers, they they have to have a very unique relationship with green Bay. They just it has to be a bond that's unbelievably special. Do players think about that when they're out on the road. You know, we're here representing the green Bay Packers and the city of green Bay, and we feel so fortunate lucky.
Speaker 16: To do so. Yeah, I definitely feel like that's that's part of the equation.
Speaker 1: I think green Bay is very specific and they're the only team that's community owned.
Speaker 16: You know, they have a president, not an owner.
Speaker 1: You know it looks a little bit different in terms of organization, structure and all that kind of stuff. Yeah, definitely a sense of pride and you know the city and you want to represent the people correctly. Like when you're out there playing hard, even though you know circumstances may not be great, you want to you want to put your best foot forward and uh know, there's no quit and that's been consistent and every city I've been in just for me personally, you just taking pride and you know, representing the people of that city.
Speaker 4: Aaron Burks is a Bengal now a key member of the Cincinnati defense. We'll talk about how the defense has been improving in recent weeks when we come back with today's special guest.
Speaker 13: This is the Bengals pep Rally Show.
Speaker 4: Presented by Just Bear Chicken, live from the on the Ryan Eatery on ESPN fifteen to thirty. Welcome back to the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear Chicken. We are live at the on the Ryan Eatery with our special guest, Bengals linebacker Oron Burkes. So, last week against the Lions, you look at the final score, Detroit scored thirty seven points. This might seem strange to say, but I felt like the defense actually played pretty well. You forced five punts. No team has forced Detroit to punt more this year. You got to take away obviously a few other scores had to do with short fields. You Bengals offensive turnovers, and you're on the field quite a bit because there are some three and outs as well. How did you feel about the performance last week and the way the defense is trended.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think our resilience was on display, you know, tough situations and feel wise, but everybody just bought in, Like there's a feeling on the sideline that nobody was giving up where you know, that's what you want to see. You want to see a team that's willing to fight for every blade of grass, and I definitely feel like that's something that we take pride in and you know, every week we'll continue to get better in the defense. Is our first year with Al Golden, and everybody's kind of you know, getting a feel for, you know, how he calls the game, how each other play within the scheme and all of that coming together. I feel like we're coming into a defense that is going to help us make a great run this year. Yeah, I think the chee cheese.
Speaker 12: Al Golden's big believer in the two cheese, turnovers and third down. I mean, he wants to get off the field. He wants three and outs. He wants as many of them as he possibly can get, not let their offense get in any kind of rhythm, any kind of timing, feel good and about themselves whatsoever. And then he wants to take it away. He wants to limit their possessions. You can take one less possession that they have. One more that you have could be the determining factor in the outcome of the football game. What kind of a defensive coordinator is Al Golden when you compare him to other defensive coordinators you've had during the course of your career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, one, he has a linebacker background, so you know, selfishly, that's always what I kind of look for in the DC, and they kind of can see things from my perspective, Ye, you know, make my job a little easier. But I think he's very detailed. He expects a lot from us. The standard that he said, like you said, turnover is a third down and especially the red zone is really important to him as well, I feel like you.
Speaker 16: Get what you emphasize.
Speaker 1: So for him, like he's been trying to get us to punch the ball out, take the ball away with picks and interceptions and any opportunity we can do to give offensive back the ball in a great position.
Speaker 16: That's what we're looking to do. And I feel like.
Speaker 1: That's slowly starting to become our identity, you know, over these last couple of games, kind of color rhythm and hoping to, you know, take it to the next level. And that's that's what we're we're looking to do every single week.
Speaker 4: Your position coach, Mike Hodges isn't much older than you are. Is this the youngest guy that you've played for in the NFL?
Speaker 1: I think so, yeah, he might be yeah, I think so, yep, he's that different.
Speaker 16: Not really. We have a great working relationship.
Speaker 1: I feel like he's very like he's a young guy. He's firing, he's passionate about what he does. He's a great communicator, and I feel like with the young guys in our room, he's been able to coaching him up into a fashion where they can go out there and play fast and not worry about making mistakes, and you know, all the kind of things that come up being a rookie. He's kind of helped them step into their own So for me that's refreshing, you know, because you know, I had different paths, you know, throughout my career. I had to you know, figure out things how I wanted to be, you know, on the field. But he's really empowering them to be the best player that can be on the field.
Speaker 12: You know, you hit on a point, young players, young coaches, young players. That's pretty good dynamic, I think, you know, I mean I think that, Uh, I mean, there's not a player on the roster with double digit years experience.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 12: It's well, now there is yea, yeah Flackel, Yeah, exactly forty year old Joe Flackell. But uh, it's it's amazing how young the roster is in terms of I mean every position group.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 12: It's like, I think, I think that's a plus.
Speaker 1: I really do.
Speaker 12: I think, particularly as the season wears on, the grind of the season, you know, and I think I think guys will recover more quickly with the with the youth. What do you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, being an old guy myself, now, it's kind of funny how you know, I can't believe you're an old guy. It is actually insane to me that, yeah, because they call me unk and all that kind of that's crazy. I'm thirty years old. It's it's not that serious. But I'm thirty years old.
Speaker 12: Great man.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. I appreciate It's just funny in this profession that that's considered old. You know, any job you just kind of get right.
Speaker 16: I embrace it. I embrace it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we have a lot of a lot of young guys with a lot of you know, passion, and they're coming from the college where, uh, every week they're just like hyped up and ready to go. So you know, we're feeding off that energy and I definitely feel like that's going to help us a long one.
Speaker 4: All Right, we need to take our final time out. When we come back, we will play America's favorite game show, Baby.
Speaker 13: We call it Know Your School?
Speaker 4: Yes, sure, I have questions about Vanderbilt University. You must get at least three correct to be a winner. We'll put Oran Burkes to the test when we come back. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show Live from the on the Ryan Eatery on ESPN fifteen thirty and the Bengals pep Rally Show presented Just Bear Chicken live from the on the Ryane Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. You want to thank our special guests or in Burke's for coming out in a Friday afternoon and spending an hour with us.
Speaker 13: We've got a few minutes left on the show.
Speaker 4: That means it is time to play America's favorite game show. We call it Know Your School. I have five questions about Vanderbilt University. He must get at least three rights to be declared a winner. I see that your wife looks quite amused. This quiz is coming up. Are you ready?
Speaker 13: Orn Burks? Question number one.
Speaker 4: Name the former US Vice president known for his climate change activism who graduated. You are correct, Al gore Go, but graduated from Vanderbilt Law School. As the rest of the question, you are one for one. Question number two, the last consensus all American at Vanderbilt earned that honor at linebacker Zach Zach Cunningham is correct.
Speaker 13: I'm not even I can't even get the whole question out.
Speaker 1: All right, We've ever.
Speaker 4: Had three questions left to get at least one right now? If you get this one, then you go for the perfect score and bragging rights for eternity. Question number three, the most famous building on campus didn't answer right away, features a large clock tower and is frequently a hub of campus activity.
Speaker 1: So it's on alumni Lawn. I'm blanking on the name of the actual building, but I can picture it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you're right about alumni lawn. That is correct. Kirkland Hall. Kirkland Hall.
Speaker 4: All right, so it's not a perfect score, but you've got two left to be a winner. Question number four, Oh tarn with the buzzer in the background. Question number four, who is Vanderbilt University named for?
Speaker 16: Cornelius Vanderbilt?
Speaker 4: You are correcting, Oh, business magnate Cornelius Vanderbilt, who made a one million dollar gift in eighteen seventy three. I was worth a lot of money back then. Still pretty good back then. Cornelius had some dough. Yeah, he was like a railroad guy. He had it going on. Yeah, all right. Final question is kind of an easy one. I should have come up with a tougher one, but I'll ask it anyway. Name the former Vanderbilt quarterback known for his big arm and his great hair, who was a pro bowler in two thousand and eight and named one of the top correct top one hundred Chicago Bears.
Speaker 13: Of all time in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: The correct answer is Jay Cutler, you got four out of five.
Speaker 13: No, your school absolutely wrong. Crowd is IM proud.
Speaker 12: I want to give him four and a half. He knew everything about that.
Speaker 13: He kind of knew Kirkland Hall just a blank.
Speaker 12: He had haul Kirkland. That was a storm missing ingredient.
Speaker 4: One of the questions I often ask, which is frequently a stumper, is what is the name of the main library on campus? Do you know the answer to that?
Speaker 16: At Vandy Main Library? I don't know. I didn't spend the time there, so I was. I was in Study Hall. It was all the way across campus.
Speaker 4: Here's why I didn't ask. It's Central Library.
Speaker 13: Okay, yeah, it doesn't even have a good name.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cral Central Library, central Library.
Speaker 16: Yeah, we had our own study area.
Speaker 4: So well, clearly you did well not only in school but at football and now in the NFL. Eight years, my man, that's quite an accomplishment. Hopefully you've got several more in you lap played ten years in the NFL plus two more in the USFL back when it existed. So, like we said at the very beginning, play as long as you can.
Speaker 12: I played for the President of the United States Donald Trump on the New Jersey General. I could see you as president. Get in the politics I.
Speaker 1: Would give.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, let's see, let's start with beating the Packers. Yeah, number destroy them, go back to Green Bay and another team's uniform and leave Lambeau with a win.
Speaker 16: There we go.
Speaker 4: Hey, we really appreciate you coming out and doing this. You have congratulations on a great career to date, including a Super Bowl wing a ring rather and we hope you're wearing one with the Bengals logo on at the end of this year.
Speaker 13: It all right, let's hear it. Let's hear it. That is going to just about do it.
Speaker 4: For our show today, we want to thank our engineer Mike Mills, who comes out generally sets things up really early. That wasn't the case today, but Mike got here in time. He came to the rescue for our show. We want to thank the folks here at the on the rhyne eatery want. We want to thank Nikki from the Bengals who's helping us out today. Most of all, thank you to the Bengals fans for coming out and being part of the show. Love you guys, Appreciate you guys, and I hope to see you next time. That's going to do it for today's show. You've been listening to the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Beared Chicken here on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 2: Inglespip Rally presented by Just Bair Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network. Pay Corps. Pay Corp is proud to be the official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Ulti Viper, Ulta Viper, the official WiFi and Internet provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 20: This is fifteen thirty w ckmin Snatti, the fifty thousand orange and black home of the Cincinnati Bengals. Cincinnati's ESPLENT fifteen thirty