Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begune.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 4: Here we go again. We're running back to.
Speaker 5: Get in on the show called eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seven Day and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David vaseas Day.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until ten thirty tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. After the Dodgers lose the middle game of this three game series to the Atlanta Braves seven to two. Coming up at the top of the hour, we'll hear from Jose Mota and also at ten fifteen, we will share with you an interview I did with Hall of Fame manager Bobby Cox back in twenty sixteen. Yes, we were at Turner Field with the Dodgers and Bobby Cox was kind enough to take ten minutes out of his time to get to know me and do a pregame interview. And definitely the Dodgers did the right thing, honoring Bobby Cox, one of the great men in Major League Baseball history, a guy that was beloved by so many, not only in the Braves organization, but in so many other organizations, loved and respected. And I remembered doing that interview, and I went back to listen to it, and I said, you know what, it would be a great time to reshare that interview with you. So we'll share that conversation with Hall of Fame manager Bobby Cox coming up at ten point fifteen, but we do have phone lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. You want to know how I feel about Blake Sneill's perform I felt like he pitched really well in his first first action of the season. I mean tonight, he should have been pitching at Rancho Cucamonga in Ontario. You know what, I take that back. He shouldn't have been pitching for Ontario. He was right where he should have been here at Dodgers Stadium because that start for Ontario was not going to do anything to make Blakes now better prepared for his first start of the major league season. He had good stuff. I just didn't believe in his game plan. I wasn't sure why he was throwing his slider so much. That's like his third or fourth best pitch. The change up, the curveball, the fastball, those are his best pitches. And I know the curveball is the last one to come as far as the field. But his curveball was good when he started to throw it in the third inning. And what was ironic is he had left handed hitters, but he was better against the Braves right handed hitters than he was against the Braves left handed hitters. Drake Baldwin made him work. Matt Olsen got him for a two run single in the second inning on a slider that was, you know, right in his wheelhouse. So I was a little surprised by his game plan. But the defense at shortstop was not very good for him. In the first inning, Hay Song Kim, first batter, Mauricio Dubon broken bat single up the middle on a forty five hopper. I mean he had enough time to get to it. I thought he should have. And also in that inning, he fielded a ground ball that should have been an inning ending double. Playing Steady threw wide to Alex Friedland and Austin Riley was safe. But Snell was able to get two strikes on five different hitters tonight, and that's what it came down to. He couldn't put hitters away. He almost did in that second inning. He was this close one pitch away from getting out of it, and Ozzie Albi's hid a eighty five change up down in a way, almost hitting the dirt to left field to drive in two runs. So all in all, it was a solid first start for Blake Snell. And I would invite anybody to call in tonight and tell me why they believe that Blake Snell would have been better off pitching for Ontario than he would have been for the Dodgers. That was gonna do nothing for him. Andrew Friedman, Dave Roberts, Mark Pryor made the right decision to have this guy pitching here tonight. And it also helps Roki Sasaki on Monday facing a weaker lineup in the San Francisco Giants. So if Blake could have been a little bit more efficient, especially in that first inning, get some help behind him, he wouldn't have thrown twenty four pitches in the first inning, and maybe is able to get into the fourth inning. But the reality is it comes down to it was his first start of the season and he couldn't put hitters away. And you know, I'll debate him. He loves talking game plan, so I'll talk to him about his game plan and wonder why he's thrown so many sliders. Tonight eight six, six, seven, two five seventy is the phone number? Maybe Blake Snell explains that to the reporters on sports net LA.
Speaker 4: Yeah, learned a lot.
Speaker 6: Obviously frustrated the goals give have no run, so giving up five is pretty frustrating.
Speaker 4: But no, I mean, yeah, I learned a lot.
Speaker 6: Just he's a basketball a little more his own smaller than it was last year. That's what I learned today. So it's just a messing a little bit. But I feel really good. Good stuff is really good. Being able to start to read swings and what people are thinking and doing is getting better or so excited about that. But yeah, just a lot to break down. But obviously three and seventy seven pitches is not where I want to be. But yeah, it's just a weird game. Do you talk about just with the software contact and some other stuff, or what do you think sort of led to maybe less efficient out there. Yeah, I think it's kind of get ahead a little more. I keep their pitch count down, even if that's, you know, the way the game's gonna go, if I can still be aggressive, not at that, you know, not that that kind of take like you know, you get annoyed by it, and I just keep pitching, and I could have done a better job of that. And then I give up one good hit to Olsen and on a pitch that was if I get it down or ease a fastball more.
Speaker 4: Probably different. Just yeah, I got a lot to learn still.
Speaker 7: Obviously this stuff's been up.
Speaker 8: So even the rehabout is, how much better do you feel physically than the last year when you're putt much of these fears.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I feel I feel really good.
Speaker 6: I really I did a lot, changed a lot, worked really hard, and I like the way my body feels. Even you know, three inns I was having pictures. I feel really good. I feel like I'm going to recover good. So I'm excited about that. But yeah, I got a lot of work to do to get ready for the next start. Put the ball upen in a position to cover you know, six innings when.
Speaker 1: You say changed a lot.
Speaker 6: What would you say that you changed and what kind of impact do you think that's had, whether on the stuff for kind of how you're feeling. Yeah, just I mean a lot of my injuries have been information based, so started. You know, I'm getting older and I got to be a little more wiser, so nutritionist and chef and pilates has really helped me a lot. Yeah, just trying to get better and make sure I can pitch as long as I want to pitch.
Speaker 1: Given that you did only make three, Like rehub starts, where do you feel you are kind of in your build up relative to whatever normal season would be.
Speaker 6: I'm ready to go. Yeah, there's no excuse. I feel good. Stuff's good. So I just gotta become a better pitcher and do that quickly. And I have a lot of confidence I'll do that. I really like where I'm at, so for me to get called up, I mean, I feel really good. I wanted that start, and yeah, I saw me to get better and make sure I can cover the innings and help the bullpen more.
Speaker 9: I could start kind of come together, especially you're playing pitching with the Ontario. But what kind of changed less forty hours and how quickly were you kind of just say.
Speaker 6: Yes, I said yeah, I said yes before they even asked. I wanted to start face a team like Atlanta.
Speaker 4: Really good.
Speaker 6: It's gonna let you know where you're at pretty quickly. And yeah, that's what I wanted. So when they asked, I already knew what the answer was. Yes, And I kind of wait how it came together? Oh, I have no idea, but yeah I was ready to go, and yeah, it's got to be better.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Blake Sneil. Thanks to Sports in at LA for bringing us the two times cy Young Award winner who went three innings in his first start of the twenty six campaign with five strikeouts. He threw seventy seven pitches, fifty of them for strikes, And yeah, that's good to hear from a thirty three year old guy that you know, at times can be a big kid. To hear him get more serious about, you know, trying to stay healthy, getting the inflammation down and having a personal chef, finding out better ways to eat better, have a nutritionist. That's a sign of maturity, and some of us mature later than others. So I'm still waiting to do that. But it's good to hear Blake Snell starting to make some changes off the field that will invest in his body and he can be more accountable to his teammates by being on the mound when the bell rings. Eight six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Can you believe? The Dodgers had won seven in a row against the Braves here at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium. The last time the Braves won a game here was September of twenty twenty three. In fact, the Dodgers have dominated the Braves the last three years. Coming into the game tonight, they had won eleven of the last fifteen. Yeah, the Dodgers have dominated the Braves, and the vibes around the Braves is like Dodgers Stadium is a house of horrors. So a rare win for the Braves at Dodgers Dadium, first one since September of twenty twenty three. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Braves beat the Dodgers tonight seven to two. Spencer Streider six scoreless innings in just his second start of the year. Otani was won for for Tonite Freeman was zero for three. Andy pa has broke up the shutout with a two run home run in the ninth inning, and you could tell Dave Roberts was basically waving the white flag. But you wonder, you know, pinch hitting for Kyle Tucker in the seventh inning and Max Munts in the seventh inning, I'm not saying that's gonna change a lot, but I'm not gonna say it's changing a lot for either one of those guys tomorrow as well with the day game. I mean, we're in May, so I don't know that that was interesting to me. And I know Andy Pai has hit that two run home run in the ninth inning, but it was obvious if you're paying attention two outs in the seventh inning, with ta Oscar Hernandez at the plate, full count, full count, two outs in an inning, the runner should be going and he wasn't. So those are the things in a game like this that you can't lose focus on. It's great hitting home runs, it's great making catches, it's it's great doing all those things. But there's more to baseball than just that. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Bob, who is at the ballpark tonight. Hi, Bob, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: Dave.
Speaker 11: I don't ever want to grow up, man.
Speaker 1: I hope you don't either.
Speaker 11: I hope we stay young forever.
Speaker 2: Well, Man, that's right, I'm not growing up. I refuse to That's right.
Speaker 11: That's right. Good on you. Great night to be out at the stadium. Unfortunately, different result warranted, but.
Speaker 9: It was what it was. Blake looked.
Speaker 10: Good question for you, though, Dave.
Speaker 11: Obviously Mooki is making the call and we're going to see him soon, so that both Kim and Friedland were on the field to start tonight. At the end of this game, if Mooki were to start tomorrow, who would it be who's staying up and who have to be?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 11: Put back down?
Speaker 7: What are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: I would go with Freeland. I don't think anything's changed. The Dodgers want both those guys playing every day. Tommy Edmund doesn't seem like he's coming back anytime soon, And to me, I still feel like there's a lot of growth that Kim needs to have. Nights like tonight is a growing moment for him. It's it's the adversity and how you bounce back from that adversity in games like tonight that were rough for him? How is he going to come back if he starts or the next time he starts. So Mookie's coming back Monday. Dave Roberts said it after the game. He said it to us on Dodger Talk on Thursday. So I don't see how anything has changed from when the season began. The only variable wild card in all this is Miguel Rojas's left hip. He was out there earlier today taking ground balls, but he still was walking very gently. So that may play a factor on whether or not the Dodgers decide to give a thirty seven year old that is supposed to be playing his final season a ten day injured list or are they going to just they feel confident that he's healthy. I would say that's the only wild card in all this.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, I understand completely. I mean, unfortunately, you know, Kim had a couple of mistakes tonight, kind of costly errors. At some point, you know, I hear what you're saying. I wish both of them could stay up, but it's obviously there has to be a choice made. Like you said in less real Haas does decide to take an eye on stance, So time will tell, but it will be good to have Mookie Bets back in the lineup and back on defense, that's for sure.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 11: I feel like the team needs that spark from Mookie back in that lineup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt. And looking at MOOKI seems like he's standing a lot taller than he was when we saw him in spring training. So I'm looking forward to get Mookie Bets back because the Dodgers need some production from their right handed hitters not named Andy pai Has. They're really not getting it, and they kind of need Mooky Bets to be Mookie Bets from two years ago, not the guy last year. They need the Mooky Bets that we had seen his entire career outside of last year. So, and I've said this before, I'll say it again. On the days that O'tani is not in the lineup and he's not leading off, I don't see any issues with Mookie Betts, who is one of the greatest leadoff hitters of the last twenty years, maybe twenty five years, being the leadoff hitter on those days. But he's got to show that he can get back to the mookie bets we saw a couple of years ago, and frankly who we saw at the end of the regular season last year. Let's go out to Iray Craig in Long Beach. Craig, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing good, Dave?
Speaker 12: What's up, buddy?
Speaker 2: How you doing doing great?
Speaker 12: Good? Good to hear it, buddy. Hey, I thought Snell through pretty good tonight. You know, I was surprised by everybody was. I seen so many change ups that a lot of slides, I'm sorry, a lot of spiders that would have been a change up, might have been out of the inning.
Speaker 9: But you never know.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if he didn't have the feel for it or what he was thinking. But the sliders were not working against the lefties.
Speaker 12: Think must have something to work on.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 12: I don't know, but I thought he's doing pretty well. Otherwise, he had the velocity up, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the velocity was up. It hit ninety seven a couple of times, so he's healthy. He's feeling good. The fastball had life on it, no doubt about it. It was, you know, just his first start. It happens, and if you look at Spencer Strider in his first start before tonight, he only went three and to third and gave up three runs. Tonight, Strider in his second start, six scoreless innings. So it makes a big difference. Get your feet wet after you hadn't basically pitched in a major league game since last year. And also you heard Snell to the fact about the abs and the strike zone, and that's an adjustment that he's going to have to make on the fly here that every other pitcher has that hasn't really dealt with it before opening day this year. Let's go out to Mission Viejo. Bill, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 10: Bill, Hi, thanks for taking my call. I was wondering about the rotation with she and pitching last night and tonight Snell and the rotation starting, How does that affect you know that you're going to have the next two days, you're going to still have Sasaki and Robleski pitching. Does that push back Yamamoto an extra day even from the six man rotation they've had, Well.
Speaker 2: May give him an extra day, but when you have Robleski tomorrow. Roki Sasaki was supposed to pitch today, so probably Roki pitches on Monday, the day that Glass now was supposed to pay, and then from there you're gonna have Yamamoto and Otani likely and sheh, it's a four game series against the Giants too, So there's no days off this week for the Dodgers, if that's what you're thinking about for Yamamoto and Otani. So basically, Snell coming into this rotation kind of manufactured an extra day of rest for some of those guys in the rotation. But you know, it's the regular season marathon. There's not gonna be days off all the time. The Dodgers do it better than most to be able to create extra days of rest, especially when you're in the stretch of playing thirteen in a row or something like that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, which picture do you think will drop off the rotation?
Speaker 2: When see that's funny everybody was asking me that question and saying the word Snell or the name Snell. Hey, who's going to drop out? When Snell comes back? I think we've found out Bill, a lot of things can change between now and fifteen days from now. So when the Dodgers get to that point and everybody's healthy, then I guess we could we could talk about it more, But I think it's hilarious that that was the topic of articles and conversations the last two weeks. What's gonna happen when Blake Snail comes back? Well, you saw what happened Tyler Glassnell went on the IL and now all of them are still in the rotation.
Speaker 10: Right, it's for now, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So let's talk about that when we get closer to when Glassnew's off the IL. Thanks for the phone call, Bill, appreciate it. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Braves beat the Dodgers tonight seven to two. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back more of your phone calls, we'll check in with Jose Mota and we'll share that conversation special conversation with Bobby Cox that we had back in twenty sixteen at Turner Field. The Hall of Fame manager passed away, So we'll honor one of the greats in baseball history when we continue to the bottom of the hour as the Dodgers fall to the Braves seven to two on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 5: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 1: Two one pitch from Little Pens swung on Pelt at the left and deep.
Speaker 2: That's Paul heading back.
Speaker 1: It is corn home on Andy Piez.
Speaker 4: Ninth of the year where.
Speaker 9: Dodgers get the zero off the board.
Speaker 2: A two on shot for pie Has. It is seven to two. Andy Paz prevents the Dodgers from being shut out for the second time this year, but they do fall to the Brave seven to two. Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until the bottom of the hour. Daniel S. Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniel S. Jewler's gift card, visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com. Use the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniel S. Jewelers Own the Dream.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota, you gotta lose. At one point in time, the Braves had not won Yere since twenty twenty three, and Spencer Streyder looked a lot better after making his first start at Coursefield and looking human. But Spencer Stryder looked like Spencer Strider again.
Speaker 9: Yes, I mean, let's not forget about the specialty that it takes to win twenty games. And this guy did it, you know, a couple.
Speaker 4: Of years ago.
Speaker 9: And he's he's a speciman. I mean, he's got the big trunks, he's got the live fastball, he's got a true four seamer which is straight and it goes just like an hour right to the corners and beat you upstairs. It can beat you inside, it can beat you downstairs. And he was on his game. I you know, as you mentioned, he did not have a good first start over in Colorado. What Weisse was talking about it yesterday and his manager said, it seems like his almost over the place, maybe thinking too much about where he was pitching. But nonetheless, the Dodgers know they're going to have their hands full today and you have to go out there and throw them zeros to match up against him, as they did yesterday against Chris Sale. That didn't happen.
Speaker 2: How would you grade Blake snail start tonight, I'm gonna.
Speaker 9: Based it on him and his responses. I have mixed things about it. I would hope that there's way more than this in him, and I know there is. He kept saying learn and learn and learn. I know there's involved that where softly that found some hole. But this is the big leagues line. You got to go out there and get the ball on the zone and a little more often. And I know he does a point about a few things. You know it's going to compete, but I think the build up they to go from fifty five pitches and miners to the the bis what he wanted to do prove it's just not the same. I would look at the braves in the dugout and at some point I saw guys who that body language is saying, hey, we got something on him. That pitch that Albe's hit was not because he was say fool as much as he was looking for it, saying he's going to throw it again on the swing and keeping him his one. Because usually Blake sail In ninety seven ninety eight is good enough to get some guys off of that changeup. But he just had a little bit of trouble too. And if you look at it, smell's body language. So many times a day after delivering a pitch, he's pointing with his hand direction direction, direction, which at some point he was off tilled. But hopefully he'll find it again. Be up to know that.
Speaker 2: We know, yeah, he always does that to remind himself to stay behind the baseball. And look, it was his first start, so I would expect a more Spencer Strider like start in his second one, kind of the way Spencer went through it tonight. But I've been holding something back, Jose. In the fifth inning, Matt Olsen sent a foul ball into the Spanish radio booth. And you are known for having your trusty glove. But I saw the ball hit the back of the wall here at the press box and it kremed into the English radio booth. Where where was the glove? Where was the motive glove?
Speaker 9: I was trying to throw the double plane, send it to you guys over on the other side. That's all.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 12: What happens.
Speaker 9: The ball is so high, Louie, and I had the glove out, like okay, where is it? And all of a sudden the ball is right there boom almost hit efferent right in the left ear.
Speaker 2: But are you saying that you did that on purpose?
Speaker 9: I did not do it on purpose. I missed. Hey, I have no excuse it. I can come here and go on you know sports that on land til the truth I missed it. I didn't see if I missed it, that bottom line. But it was fun. It was something to talk about because it was a big thumb. Let me tell you, Bake, it was a big thumb.
Speaker 2: It was a big thumb, no doubt, no doubt. All right, Jose, we'll see you out here on Mother's Day. Thanks again for checking in tonight.
Speaker 9: Oh the pleasure.
Speaker 2: There he goes Jose Mota with his trustee Glove in the Spanish radio booth as the Dodgers fall to the Braves for the first time at Dodgers Stadium since twenty twenty three. That's hard to believe considering how good the Braves teams have been. I know they scuffled last year, but in twenty four they were a pretty good team. And for the Dodgers to be seven to zero and have a seven game winning streak against the Braves here in La coming into the game tonight. The reason why I keep bringing it up is. It's kind of hard to believe, but it's as Vince Scully used to like to say, when it came to matters like this. Dodgers Stadium was a house of whores for the Atlanta Braves before tonight, and the Dodgers would like to make it a painful place tomorrow afternoon on Mother's Day to win the series and celebrate winning the series. After winning the series in Houston, before they welcome in a stretch of games against two of the worst teams, frankly in Major League Baseball. I mean no joke, they are two of the worst teams in Major League Baseball. Once the Dodgers are done with the NL East leading Braves, the next to seven games get a lot easier for the Dodgers because they have a four game series against the Giants, and the Giants and Mets are tied for the worst record in the National League. The Giants are nine games back of the Dodgers in the NL West, they are trending towards being in last place in the Rockies finishing above them in this division, so they come in for a four game series and then the Dodgers head out on the road to Anaheim and the Angels are the worst team in baseball. Literally, they have the worst record in baseball. The Halos are fifteen to twenty five after getting beat by the Blue Jays today fourteen to one. Yeah. So the next seven games after Mother's Day for the Dodgers, they should handle business. I'm not saying you gotta win all of them, but you should win at least six of seven against the Giants and Angels. And remember last year the Angels beat the Dodgers all six times that they faced each other. That's right, the Angels beat the Dodgers in the regular season last year all six head to head matchups. So that's something to keep in mind as well. Uh And like we said before, Mookie bed said it the best the first time is games like that against the Angels. That's their World Series in their own house in Anaheim. They're gonna be up for that series. And the Dodgers, you know, I'm not gonna say they need to be up and match their intensity too. But just keep in mind the Angels beat you all six times last year, and in a competitive NL West with the Padres, who somehow are keeping up with the Dodgers. The Padres one tonight and are twenty three and sixteen, a game back of the Dodgers in the NL West. This is the stretch of time that you get healthy against teams like the Giants and Angels, two of the worst records in Major League Baseball. The Giants and Mets tied for the worst records in the National League, and the Angels have the worst record period in baseball. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action and new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events. And remember when the Dodgers lost the series in San Francisco. Their number nine hitter and catcher Patrick Bailey beat them in the second game of that series, hitting a go ahead, three run home run. Well, today, the Giants traded bat Patrick Bailey to the Guardians for a draft pick, the twenty ninth overall pick and this year's Major League Baseball Amateur Draft. So that's how bad things are. The Giants traded a two time Gold Glove Award winner for a draft pick today. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, So with Snell starting tonight, Roki Sasaki likely to start on Monday, and then you'll see Yamamoto and Otani and Shean against the Giants, and we'll see what the Dodgers do this time around with Otani, whether or not I kind of lean towards them having him hit in the game against the Giants and then maybe getting the next day off, you know, before they go to Anaheim. I could see a scenario like that, or they just let him keep playing, you know.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 2: Mar Garcia par was our pregame yesterday and he said, basically, that's a simple answered to a more complicated problem why Otani has struggled and is struggling offensively this year. He brought up a good point. You know, hitters go through slumps. Otani went through slumps, maybe not this big as far as just without hits and without home runs for a stretch of time. But basically Otani has a lot on his plate and it's more than just being fatigued. So that's an interview that you want to listen to with Nomar. You can find it on the iHeartRadio app. We touched on that, and we also touched on the state of the Dodgers offense and the approach they've been taken lately at the plate. As a group, wanted to also update you on a couple of different Dodgers who are injured. Brock Stewart was placed on the injured list again today, so frustrating for Brock and the Dodgers after reacquiring him at the trade deadline last year. He did undergo season ending elbow surgery line last year, did not start the season on time, made his season debut in the finale in Houston, pitched a scoreless ninth, had two strikeouts, and you think away we go with brock Stewart. Not so fast. He has bone spurs in his left foot and the Dodgers placed him back on the IL. Dave Roberts believes it's going to be at least three to four weeks before Stuart's back, and that means that he's really not throwing that much off the mound, so it's probably going to take you a little bit of time for him to get that arm going again. And three to four weeks sounds pretty accurate by Dave Roberts when it comes to that, and that's why it was important for Paul Gervais to be here and he pitched the last three innings tonight. That was big. Was still only going three innings tonight. Also, Tommy Edmond still not really taking it to the next level. He basically had the same ankle surgery that Freddie Freeman had before the twenty five season, and for whatever reason, it's not clicking for Tommy Edmond yet. So hopefully he's back. He's been transferred to the sixty day at il, but it feels like it's a matter of pain tolerance when it comes to Tommy's right ankle. Also, Mookie Betts did play tonight. He's gonna be here in La tomorrow and Dave Roberts said he is going to start on Monday. In that game tonight for Oklahoma City, Bruce Stark Gretorol made another appearance and he faced five batters, So that's good news as well that he's continuing to progress and probably a month away, I would imagine before he returns. Similar to Brock Stewart, you got to see him pitch back to back games three out of four something like that before he returns. It's not like something he did all the time with the Dodgers, but at least back to back games are significant. Before you can say Bruce Dark Greterol is on his way back. So those are the updates on some of the injured Dodgers comings and goings. Miguel Rojas who left the game yesterday with kind of a dead left leg, he said because of a left hip issue that he suffered a couple of different times during the game yesterday. He went early after batting practice to get treatment. He did participate in batting practice, that's a good sign. He did take round balls, so obviously he's feeling good enough to do all that. All right, I want to share with you our conversation with Bobby Cox. The Dodgers did a classy thing before first pitch tonight with the Braves in town, honoring Bobby Cox, the Hall of Fame manager who passed away earlier today, honoring him with a moment of silence, had a little montage there, and Bobby Cox touched a lot of people, not only with the Atlanta Braves organization, but people around baseball. A guy like that kind of transcends things, and it's usually more than just being a good manager. It has to do with him being probably a good person and Back in twenty sixteen, I had a chance to meet Bobby Cox for the first time at Turner Field, and at that point he was retired as the manager and getting into his new role in the front office with the Braves, and he was kind enough to get to know me a little bit, and then we sat down for a pregame interview. So here's my conversation with Bobby Cox, the Hall of Fame manager, back in twenty sixteen. Rest in peace, Bobby, and our prayerson thoughts are with you and your family. So here was Bobby Cox twenty sixteen at Turner Field on Dodgers Radio.
Speaker 3: Bobby, it just seems like when you come back here, you think of Bobby Cox in Atlanta. How does it make you feel that people still treasure everything that you've done for this franchise.
Speaker 8: Well, it's touching, to be honest with you, David. And you know, we've had a lot of great teams that I managed here. We always had great players, We always had a super farm system. If something went wrong up here, we could always bang somebody and bring them up from down under sort of speak. But yeah, it's touching that the people still remember what went on through all those years, and you know, it's good to get out here. I'm kind of a consultant with the club right now, and I get down and see the minor leagues like Tommy Lasorda and the guys. Do you know no different, Harley. But it's great getting out here see the major league players too. And I had a chance to meet Dave Roberts and tell him congratulations and what a great job he's doing over there too. He's really a sharp kid and he's going to do a fantastic job for you.
Speaker 3: Bobby Cox, Hall of Famer, is our guest, and a lot of people don't realize Bobby that obviously you are a great manager, but also one of the best talent evaluators even before you were managing the Braves. How much does that still come into play and what you do right now.
Speaker 8: Well, a little bit, especially in spring training watching. You know, we have so many new players every year the last two years, there's been a major turnover here, and you know, more eyes that you see with I think helps out and I let them know how I feel about certain guys. I don't always know the makeup of players now because I'm a little bit far away from that end of it, but I can see what's going on in the field.
Speaker 7: And makeup is a big thing too.
Speaker 8: With the major league players, you got to have good makeup leaving yourself and want to win, want to win for the home team. But it's fun traveling around and I'll give them my reports on a minor leaguer, see what I can help them out with their and it's fun. It's been fun. It's not easy to retire. I still miss it, but I'm around it enough where I'm fine, And as long as I get to be around it a little bit, i'm fine.
Speaker 3: And days like this are great too because you got a chance to visit with your former bench coach, Pat Corrals. I felt like I was back in nineteen ninety five with you guys sitting in the dugout together.
Speaker 7: You bet.
Speaker 8: Pat's been one of my friends since childhood. Actually we played against each other. He was a Fresno hye and I was from a little bitty town, Selma, about twenty miles from Fresno where Pat grew up. So I've known Pat just about my entire life. So it was good seeing him today.
Speaker 3: Always good too, to have a bench coach that you can trust. How important was a bench coach to you and how important is it for a manager.
Speaker 8: I think anybody starting out in the game, the bench coach particularly is going to be very important. I think, especially if your bench coach is one that was in the league prior to you coming in and starting to manage.
Speaker 7: But bench coaches you can rely on them.
Speaker 8: I think you need somebody to bounce something off occasionally, and Pat was always right there with a emphatic yes or no.
Speaker 3: The way baseball is changing, it seems like numbers are being a bigger part of evaluating what's your philosophy on that?
Speaker 7: And well to major league level, I'm not too sure.
Speaker 8: I think drafting some players and rule fiving some players at the Winter meetings, I think some of their techniques that they.
Speaker 7: Used with numbers is pretty darn important, actually.
Speaker 8: And especially you know on certain kids you haven't seen a lot, maybe haven't seen at all.
Speaker 7: You may take a gamble just on the numbers.
Speaker 8: But once they get to the big legal, big leagues, I don't know if exit velocity off the bat is that important. All I want to know if it goes over the fence, it doesn't have to go over one hundred feet and stuff like that. But you know, it's a part of the game now and I think managers should use as much as that information without getting becoming brain frozen, and you might become that the gut always played a big part of how I managed the ballgame. How was gone the confidence I had and a certain player in a certain situation. You know, if the numbers dictated opposite, I would still go ahead and do it.
Speaker 3: Nowadays, well, I would take Bobby Cox's word on anything. After twenty five hundred plus wins Hall of Fame manage. It was really great talking to you, meeting you for the first time, and you were everything that everybody says you are.
Speaker 7: So thank you, Dave, thank you.
Speaker 2: It was a pleasure, well, very special honor to be able to share that conversation with Hall of Fame manager Bobby Cox. He was so gracious and you know, the way he was speaking to us, he would make you feel like he's known you for fifty years. That was the first time I had ever met Bobby Cox, and he was addressing me by my first name. That's how special he was. And I remember that day in twenty sixteen being out at Turner Field. He couldn't have been more nice and kind and gracious, and I can understand why so many people love Bobby Cox. And just a reminder that Freddie Freeman and Craig Kimbrel are the only two active players in baseball that ever were managed by Bobby Cox. So certainly a special man that touched so many. He was the leader of those Braves teams that ran the table during the decade the nineties. And he is going to be missed, definitely going to be missed. And I was happy that I was lucky enough to get to know him for those seven ten minutes in twenty sixteen at Turner Field. So I'm just thankful for that moment in time. All Right, that'll do it for us. On Dodger Talk tonight tomorrow, the Dodgers and Brays will hook up on Mother's Day. Justin Robleski five and zero with an ERA of one twenty five going up against Bryce Elder, who's three to one with an ERA of two zero two. Our coverage begins at noon with Tim Kats and Morongo Casino. Dodgers on deck. First pitch at one ten with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett. Thanks to Colin Ee back at our Burbank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app and also our pregame conversation with two time betting champion no mar Garciapara once again. The final score tonight the Dodgers fall to the Braves seven to two. Be safe. We'll talk to you tomorrow. See you Save it Away.