Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again.
Speaker 4: We get right running back.
Speaker 1: To get in on the show called eight six six eight seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. And now your host. Here's Tim kakes.
Speaker 4: Brough night for the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Then a chance to pick up ground in the division, a chance to leave Arizona with the series winning, and.
Speaker 4: They were cruising to a two nothing lead.
Speaker 5: Turned it over to the bullpen, and that's when the wheels fell off. In the eighth inning for Will Klein gives up a solo home run to Corbyn Carroll, a walk, two batters later, a single Alex Vessi would come in. He'd give up a base hit to score a run and tie the game. And then in the ninth could tell Marte at absolute blast down the left field line off Tanner Scott wins it as the Diamondbacks walk off the Dodgers three to two. On top of it, the Dodgers cee Max Mounsey leave the game in the fifth thing. Thankfully he is okay. We heard on We heard from Max and the Dodgers' clubouse show. After you collided with the first baseman Vargas as they were both going towards the first base bag and he beat him to the bag, but in the process collided with him as they both were going towards the middle part of the first base bag. Neither one wanted to concede, and like a duel two guys going at it, they collide in mid air and the glasses that Max Munsey wears cut him on the bridge of his nose. Had to come out of the game, got checked for a concussion. Thankfully he does not have a concussion. And according to Dave Roberts, who we'll hear from a little bit, you're gonna get Max Mounsey the night off tomorrow night in the series opener against Reed Debt Merse, who's a left hander anyway, so a lefty versus lefty matchup probably would have been a day off anyways for Max Munsey, but with the collision tonight at first base there in the fifth inning, a definite day off for Max Munsey tomorrow night and where in the world was the Dodgers top half of the lineup. Shoe a Otani had the night off. It was a planned night off. We've done it for twenty four hours that it was going to be Will Smith as a designated hitter. The Dodgers offense had six hits the entire game. Mookie Betts was OH for four, Freddie Freeman OH for four, Andy Pajez was OH for four.
Speaker 4: Kyle Tucker had a hit. That was it. The Dodgers' top four. They were a.
Speaker 5: Combined one for sixteen in this game tonight. That is not going to win a game for a Dodgers most times. They almost got away with it thanks to the great performance from Justin Robleski for six shutout innings, but his eighteen pitch sixth inning put the pitch count up to eighty four and that was it. Kyle Hurt took over the seventh inning, got some help on a challenge ball strike from Dalton Rushing, who, by the way, three challenges tonight from the Dodger catcher. Dalton Rushing three for three on pitches that were called balls. He challenged the call and got overturned to strikes. So a good job by Dalton Rushing and the ABS system tonight in favor of the Dodger catcher. But then the wheels got, you know, just kind of fell off for Will Klin. And for Will Klin, this is something that we haven't seen. We saw dominance last year in the postseason the World Series when he was called upon that eighteen inning game. He has been really good this season out of the bullpen, part of that ridiculous thirty plus inning streak of consecutive innings without giving up a run by the Dodgers bullpen. He's a big reason why Will Klein hadn't give up the run since May third.
Speaker 4: It's June the fourth, over.
Speaker 5: A month between the last time Will Clin give up an earned run against the Saint Louis Carton on May third in Saint Louis, and tonight giving up a pair of runs in the eighth inning against the Arizona Diamondback. So you just don't see it too often. It happened tonight and the Dodgers just couldn't muster much offensively outside of that fifth inning, and quite frankly, they were gifted those runs in the fifth inning. Why so you asked, well, it was right after Monthsy and Vargas collided at first base two outs months.
Speaker 4: He comes out of the game espitall runs.
Speaker 5: For him, and Ryan Ward on a two to two slider, hits the ball into right center field. Probably should have been the final out of the inning and a zero zero game going to the bottom half of the fifth inning as it is, Corbyn Carroll, who's one of the better defensive outfielders, completely overran the ball at a weird a and the ball sails over his head to right center field for an RBI double and giving the Dodgers a one to nothing lead.
Speaker 4: Then Dalton, rushing.
Speaker 5: On a two to two fastball, gets jammed inside outs it and just losts it into less center field where it falls in for a base hit. And it seems like the center fielder for Arizona got a late jump on it. I mean, if if Walshchmidt gets a better jump and comes in harder on that ball, that too is an out to.
Speaker 4: End the inning.
Speaker 5: But the Dodgers take the gifts on the defensive miscues by the Arizona Diamondbacks to take a two to nothing lead, but it threw to be not enough and for the Dodgers, this one stings. And I know it's one hundred and sixty two game season, and you can't get too high when you're winning, and you can't get too low when you suffer a loss. Of those losses straight out to be multiple losses. But let's hope they come out tomorrow and absolutely put this loss behind them. They have to at the moment right now, it stings to have a chance to win three or four in Arizona, pick up another half game on San Diego, in a full another game on Arizona to come back up seven and seven and a half games up in the division. Now you're six and a half games up on Arizona in the NL West. In fact, they could have been eight and a half up on Arizona if they get the win a two game slide there because they let this one get away. I understand, it's June fourth, They got a lot of baseball to play. The Dodgers are the best team in the division, hands down, but it still stings in a game that you don't have all your offense there, you still have a lead laid and the bullpen, which has been arguably the best thing for you this year through the first what sixty three games?
Speaker 4: Let it get away tonight.
Speaker 5: Let's just hope it's a one time thing and tomorrow they get back on track and they can do what they did against the Angels a couple weekends of going Anaheim and that's just feast on a bottom feeding team in the Anaheim Angels eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. I just hope they get this one behind them. You heard Tanner Scott say that that you have to forget about this.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow's a new day. That's the right attitude. I love it. But to me, that pitch can't happen.
Speaker 5: It could tell Marte you can't throw a ball in his wheelhouse there in the ninth inning, like Tanner Scott did. You just battle with Tommy Troy struck him out and the first pitch to could tell Marte is literally the pitch that he swings the best at fastball, low and inside, and he absolutely crushed it. Now it looked like he missed the spot on that credit to could tell Marte because it takes two guys to make it work, and he took advantage of a bad pitch and made him pay and made the Dodgers pay with that solo home run. But this one stings, no doubt, a game they let get away and a chance to just separate themselves even more from the division gets away from him tonight in Phoenix. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the number. Let's start things off with Dave and Elisa Viajoe. Your first up here on Dodge, you talked, how are you doing tonight?
Speaker 6: Dave, Yes, sir, basically, Tallas Scott choked. I know you guys, you do a very good job, even David, but your profession doesn't allow you to use the word choke on the air. But real sports fans know he choked big time. He crushes the morale of the Dodgers with his home run. He did it last year countless times. I could see giving up a couple of base hits, maybe a bunt sacrifice, a walk, but he his his his his, his walk offs devastating to the morale of the team.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I would agree that it's a tough wall. It is a tough loss, David. I agree one hundred percent. It's gotta be a better pitch. And you heard Tanner Scott. If he could have it back, he would. That is just not a pitch you want to throw to Kadel Marte in his sweet spot hits it out of the park for.
Speaker 4: A home run.
Speaker 5: But with that being said, this is a Dodger team that It's not just on Tanner Scott tonight.
Speaker 4: He was put into a situation and a two to two tie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's got to put up a zero and get the offense back up there in the tenth And according to Dave Roberts, if they got into the tenth inning, Shoey o'tani was gonna bat in the tenth inning. And who knows what happens when number seventeen comes up to.
Speaker 4: The plate in any situation. But with that being said, let's rewind it just a little bit.
Speaker 5: How do we get to that ninth inning in the tie situation in a fastball that Tanner Scott leaves down the middle of the plate to Ka tell Marte. Rewind a little bit back to the eighth inning. Will Klein didn't do anybody any favors in that eighth inning. Heck, you go back to the seventh inning, a one out single, Kyle Hurt gives up. He gets out of it with back to back strikeouts. To his credit, Dalton Rushing again third challenge of the night overturned a ball that turned into a strike on Tommy Troy. Great job by Dalton Rushing. But the eighth inning, Will Klein comes in and gives up a solo home run on a fastball to Corbyn Carroll. Okay, it's two to one. You gotta bear it down at that point and you got to get out. And what happens He walks the next batter of moreno on five pitches. That can't happen. That's not Tanner Scott's fault. That's a Will Klein problem. Gets Aeronauto striking out looking on a sweeper.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 5: By the way, Nolan Aeronauto, I love the guy. Probably gonna be a Hall of Famer maybe, yeah, Okay, he looks old right now at the end of his career. I don't know if he's banged up or what. But he went first to third on a play and then could not score when a ball was hitting the left center field who besides the point? Then Walshmid comes up and singles the left on a ball that's right over the middle of the plate from Will Klein. That's got to be better executed by Will Klein, not Tanner Scott obviously in the ninth but in that eighth inning, the Dodgers got to do a better job of holding.
Speaker 4: Onto a two to nothing lead.
Speaker 5: And then when it's two to one on the home run by Carol, got to do a better job of getting out to not walking the next batter. Two batters later get up a single. All of a sudden, it's first and second with one out. Tyan runs at second base. Tough spot for Alex Vessia who got a fly ball out, but then he gives up a single to Pertomo to center field. So you have to help yourself out. Will Klein came in a clean inning. He came in the eighth inning with a two to nothing lead. You've got to hold, You've got to get out. You can't walk batters as a reliever. That's the one thing you always hear, and I'm with it.
Speaker 4: Your job is to get out.
Speaker 5: If you're a re liever and you come in and you start walking, dudes, that is like awful.
Speaker 4: That's not what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 5: And nine times out of ten it comes back to bite you, and tonight it did. Come back to bite them as Moreno would then come around and score the tie run in the eighth inning. So again we want to focus in on could Tell Marte's solo bomb off of Tanner Scott And certainly it's gotta be a better pitch. It does better execution. You tip your cap to cold Tell Marte on that one. But that's gotta be a way better pitch. You gotta miss up those on you gotta miss away not in his wheelhouse. But let's pull it back a little bit to the eighth inning, as we just did. Will clients got to execute better out of the bullpen. And for his credit, though he has I mentioned it, the last time he gave up a run, let alone an urn run was a month ago, May third and Saint Louis against the Cardinals. So he is pitched well. Overall, the Dodgers' bullpen has pitched well. Tonight one of those nights got away from him, unfortunately, also one of those nights in which the Dodgers didn't put up crooked numbers. Dodgers' offense didn't put up seven runs, Dodgers' offense didn't put up a ninth spot.
Speaker 4: This was a tight ballgame.
Speaker 5: Top of the lineup goes one for sixteen, your top four hitters, one hit from Kyle Tucker, an overnight for Mookie Betts, an overnight for Andy Pajes, an overnight for Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 4: So the blame could.
Speaker 5: Be kind of pointed in all directions on this Dodgers team tonight, the lack of execution from the bullpen, and certainly the lack of offense tonight. The Arizona Diamondbacks had three runs on eleven hits. The Dodgers had two runs on only six hits in this game tonight, and only two walks by the way by the Dodgers, so not a lot of traffic on the base pass. There only left four runners on base all night. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the number. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Medello Modello, the mark.
Speaker 4: Of a fighter. All right, let's go toe to toe with my guy Ken in Newport Beach.
Speaker 7: Ken.
Speaker 4: How you doing tonight?
Speaker 7: Hey, Tim? How are you doing? How's the family?
Speaker 5: Everybody's good? Thanks for asking this one stings can I. It's not the end of the world, but man, this is a game. You kind of feel like you have to close the door on the Diamondbacks and you let him back in. You give him a little bit of confidence after a split now in a four game series, that you're going to see him.
Speaker 4: Later on this year.
Speaker 7: I agree, and that went to air live estate and I could tell you for people who don't know, it's four days in Arizona, there's way too many bars by the fourth day. But I have two questions for you. Number one, you got a guy pitching his shutout. Why do you pull him into sixth inning? That didn't make any sense? Number two, and the ninth inning, you're down by a run, and you got your best hitter, your superstar, sitting and yawning on the bench. Why didn't he come in and pinch hit Otani? And then the last thing, where.
Speaker 4: Where would you hit him? Who would you hit him?
Speaker 6: For?
Speaker 5: In the ninth inning, Pa has led off the inning that it's Tucker. And then for Will Smith, you.
Speaker 7: Know the third guy that was replaced the lookie or replaced the Muncy.
Speaker 4: That's been all.
Speaker 5: Yeah in that situation, as Colin Ye brought up a great point by Colin Ye, it was a two out double by Will Smith. If you pinch it show, Hey Otani, what are they gonna do. They're gonna put up four fingers. You have an open base at first. So you just negated him coming off the bench and trying to win the game for you.
Speaker 7: Because they could use it. In my last comment, and this is just one of those stupid staff things, Rookie Betts is now as a starter in the major leagues as a fourth worst batting average. Something's got to change fourth worst or any starter in the major leagues.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's uh, it's every game that goes by. Can I appreciate it? It's becoming more and more of a problem. He's hitting one to eighty three now. Is on base percentage is two forty six zero for four tonight? Was Mookie Betts in the leadoff spot, and because Otani had the night off, you move move Key back up to the lineup in the top spot to change the scenery.
Speaker 4: Maybe you hope it sparks something.
Speaker 5: He can see the ball better, you know, the ball can find some green a little bit.
Speaker 4: He can string together some good at bats.
Speaker 5: As it is, Mookie Betts goes oh for four tonight, But you know what top three hitters went oh for twelve bets, Freeman Paez, top four hitters, if you include Kyle Tucker win one for sixteen. It's got to be a better effort offensively at the top of the lineup. I know baseball is a tough game, and you know some nights the bottom of the line's gonna carry it.
Speaker 4: Which tonight it did.
Speaker 5: You saw the Dodgers two runs come off of singles from Ryan Ward and Dalton Rushing. You know the Dodgers eight and they're seven and eight hitters and respectively in the lineup tonight.
Speaker 4: And you're not gonna score seven runs every game. I get that.
Speaker 5: You're not gonna score eight runs on fourteen hits every single game. There's gonna be low scoring games. And tonight one of those two nothing games. You know, you gotta bear down, You gotta throw strikes if your will klin. You got to realize this isn't gonna be a high scoring affair.
Speaker 4: We can't wait for a crooked number.
Speaker 5: To be plased up on the scoreboard in the top of the seventh or eighth or ninth inning to bail them out or make it a blowout situation.
Speaker 4: It's a two to nothing game. Go in there, against the Diamac. Let's close the.
Speaker 5: Door in the eighth, Let's get it to the ninth, and let's get out of dodge and let's come back home with the series winning fortunately, lead off home run, a walk, two batters later, a single, and the Diamondbacks had traffic, and they scored two runs to tie the game. So again, I'm not gonna sit here and pile on Tanner Scott. I'm not going to you know what. Tonight, the bullpen collectively, I mean Alex Vessie gave up a two out hit. You're asking these guys to be perfect when they come out of a situation like that. Will climb clean inning, eighth inning, two nothing game, okay, Corbyn Carroll takes you deep. You cannot walk the next batter Moreno on five pitches that just can't happen. You gotta attack the strike zone. You gotta trust your defense behind you. Alex Frielan made great plays tonight. I count three of them off the top of my head that he made going both ways, glove side Backhan at second base tonight. You got a great defense behind you. You cannot walk guys when you come out of the bullpen. And again the Dodgers tonight top of the lineup didn't come through. All we they needed was one of those guys in the ninth inning.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 5: The ninth inning came around, tied it too, and the Dodgers had Andy Pajz leading off. That's right where you want it, right. Paul see Wald comes in, veteran pitcher.
Speaker 4: You can get to him.
Speaker 5: And the top of the line up outside of Tucker hasn't done anything all night. Paz popped out to short. Tucker struck out Will Smith, who was the DH tonight, doubled the left. All right, you got the go ahead run at second base with two outs. Again, Espinal comes up to bat. Know the situation, open base at first, You're not gonna pitch it show hey Otani because all Tory Lavella's gonna do is put up four fingers. Not because he's saying go UCLA fours up. He's saying four balls. I'm walking O'tani, and I want to get Otani down to first base and get that threat neutralized as quick as possible. So you're not gonna use Otani in that situation. Dave Roberts, which we're gonna hear from him coming up in just.
Speaker 4: A little bit.
Speaker 5: Did say to the media post game, telling our David Vase that in the tenth inning, if it were going to get to the tenth inning, that they were gonna use show Hey Otani as a possible pinch hitter. But the situation wasn't right than ninth inning. You need an es but all in that situation to come through clutch with the base hit somehow keep the line moving, just get on base, do whatever.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately he struck out swinging and.
Speaker 5: Then well it was all she wrote in the bottom half of the ninth inning as Caudel Marte hits a solo home run off of Tanner Scott. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Neda Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payoffs every race day. For heart pounding action and new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events Carlos and Valencia. Thanks for being patient. Welcome to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 4: How you doing, Carlos doing all right?
Speaker 7: Guys doing all right?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know tonight it's very easy to uh, you know, uh, let Tanner Scott have it and you you know, just dump on the bullpen and obviously they didn't have their best night, right, But the reality is the team era is right around three and they gave up three runs.
Speaker 7: The you spell my thunder because I know show.
Speaker 8: Hal Timey is obviously one of the best players in the league. He's a huge presence in the lineup. But this lineup looked feeble feeble.
Speaker 9: Terrible.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 7: You know what I'd like to see going forward.
Speaker 8: Is Doc batting Mookie ninth because this way he bats right in front of show A and maybe he gets better pitches or something.
Speaker 5: I just not I understand the theory there. I appreciate the phone call Carlos. You put him in front of show Hey, figuring he's gonna get better pitches, but he's gonna get less at bats and you're not putting Mookie Bets ninth in your lineup?
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: Could I envision them dropping Mookie Bets to fifth or sixth in the lineup?
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely do.
Speaker 5: I like Andy Paiz batting second in the lineup.
Speaker 4: I can see that.
Speaker 5: Freddie Freeman. I mean, you've seen a little bit of the tinkering of the lineup with Dave Roberts. But I think when Otani's playing every day and tonight was a rare night off that we get that. You know we're gonna see Mookie Betts. I gotta believe him drop down the lineup, how far not to ninth. There's just no way that's gonna happen. There's just no way. And one of those nights where boot Bets, Freeman and Pajes go over all of them bottom of the lineup drives in the only two runs. Again, we don't see it too often. The Dodgers bullpen give it up for Will kleinb by the way, in a great nugget by David Vasse. I'm gonna give him full credit because he deserves full credit looking this dat up, because it was texting with David after he put it out there on social medium, and he said, you know, I feel like I've never seen Will Klein give up a home run, and so he looked it up and Corbyn Carroll's home run in the eighth inning to lead off the eighth was the very first home run Will Klein has allowed in the big leagues. First home run allowed by Will Klein in the major leagues. That's unbelievable. I mean, he's pitched in what almost forty games for the Dodgers. He's nearing sixty innings pitched. He pitched in eight games back in twenty twenty four with Kansas City, pitched with the Dodgers last year. Hasn't given up a home run until tonight. It's pretty impressive. Then you look about it even more, and I mentioned it hadn't given up a run, let alone an urn run a run since May third in Saint Louis against the Cardinals, and tonight he gives up two in that eighth inning. Just a bad night for the Dodgers' bullpen and high leverage guys by the way, I mean, we're not talking about guys at the back end of the bullpen that are, you know, mopping up a game or in their pitching because it's the blowout on one.
Speaker 4: Side or the other.
Speaker 5: This is the high leverage relievers for the Dodgers who gave it up tonight and didn't have control. Kyle Hurt okay, give up a hit, give up a clean seventh inning, but Will Klein's home run, walk, and base hit two batters later, uncharacteristic of Will Klein that we've seen up until this point. Alex Vesia putting a tough situation when runners on base, gets a fly ball out, a base hit, and then a fly ball out again, and then Tanner Scott just to pitch. I know he wants back on the first pitch to ca tell Marte with one out of fastball low and inside, and Marte absolutely crushes it.
Speaker 4: Bryant and Glendoras next up on Dodger Talk. Hi doing Bryant.
Speaker 9: Hey, Hey, I'm doing well, man.
Speaker 11: How are you doing.
Speaker 4: I'm doing good. Little disappointment. This one stings, Brian.
Speaker 5: This is one of those games you kind of feel like you need to shut the door on Arizona, get some separation even more in the division, and kill their hopes for the next time you see them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: No, I completely agree exactly, And you know, kind of everything that you were saying, well, one of the main reason why that I was calling in was actually exactly the point that you made. I believe it was two callars ago. I've been saying it for a little while, but I think that the offensive days of Mooki are are are in the past. I've been saying I think for a little while now he's actually a middle of the order bat and just at one point is the organization going to have that talk with him. I love that Doc is a super players coach and he always has their backs. But we need to find a true number two hit or behind Muki. And at this point, I think Mooki is more of a five six middle of the order bat in his career.
Speaker 5: You know what, It's gonna be interesting to see where they drop him in the lineup. And I appreciate it, Brian, because I think that time is coming and it could be a case where you drop him in the lineup. Let him get some at bats, let him get that confidence back, let him get that swing back. And all of a sudden, you're putting Mookie Bets back in, you know, towards the top of the lineup where he's comfortable in. I can see that happening.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Guys, guys need a little bit more confidence sometimes, and Mookie Bets is the first person to get all over himself. And we've seen it, we've heard it. He knows when he's not swinging the bat well and he is the first guy to get on himself. So what you do to help him out Drop him in the lineup, let him see some better pitches, you know, let him get some more opportunities, you know, to see some more fastballs, and let's hope he can figure it out. Let's hope he can turn things around him be the Mookie we know he can still be. You know, nobody's turned the page on Mookie bets. You're crazy, absolutely not eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. And sometimes, you know, you drop in the lineup, get that confidence back and you move back up. We already saw this year Will Smith, a guy who was dropped in the lineup. We've seen Max Muntz. He fluctuate in the lineup. Andy Pajz was batting six and seventh in the lineup. Now Andy Paz is batting third for Dave Roberts in this lineup, So the lineup can fluctuate. I think that we get into this rut so often where this guy's got about here. This guy because he's always done it, he's got about here. Okay, the next guy right behind him, well, he's always bat at third, no matter where he's been, he's got a bat here. That's got to be able to change. Obviously, injuries changed things. That mixes up the lineup, and that forces you to But you know, if a guy's not swinging the bat well, but you need him in the lineup every day. You're gonna see him dropping the lineup and that could be the next step for a Mookie Bets eight six.
Speaker 4: Six, nine eighty seven two five seventy.
Speaker 5: Blake in Colorado, My guy, Blake, before we take a break, how you doing, Buddy Wely?
Speaker 6: Wely?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 4: Disappointing loss tonight, Blake.
Speaker 5: This is a I was ready to get talking to you about a win and taking three or four in Arizona and the Dodgers are rolling with a seven and a half game lead, and man, they let this one get away.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm very disappointed.
Speaker 8: And I hope Mondy is okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, we heard from him in the Clubhouse show. He sounds okay. David vets I was talking to him there and asking the questions about the concussion and pass the concussion protocol.
Speaker 4: That is certainly good news. But it's got a nice.
Speaker 5: Little cut on top of his nose because of the glasses that in the collision cut him on there on the top of his nose.
Speaker 4: But he'll be okay. I'll love him.
Speaker 5: Maybe a little scar there moving forward, but he'll be okay. But how about Mookie Betts. What do you do with Mookie Blake? What do you do with him in the lineup?
Speaker 6: I'll just saw fum down to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the five on six.
Speaker 6: So and hopefully he gets hot Dale.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hope, so, I hope.
Speaker 5: So the Angels come to town, and the last time the needed to get right it was a series in Anaheim where they got right out, scoring the Angels thirty one to three in that three game Freeway series sweep a couple weeks ago in Anaheim.
Speaker 4: That'd be nice to do it again.
Speaker 5: Not that you're gonna outscore him thirty one to three, Blake, but man, if the Dodgers can come in here and just roll over the Angels and get that momentum back look out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that'd be a sweetway shilly sweep Ooh Freeway. I like that, Blake. That'd be awesome. All right, my man, I'll be back on a couple of days. We'll talk then. Okay, I bea on Sunday.
Speaker 5: I believe so, because it's a getaway day, so I should be back on Sunday.
Speaker 6: All right, Okay, I'll talk to you Sunday.
Speaker 5: All right, There goes my guy, Blake in Colorado, big Dodger fan out there in Colorado. Every time the Dodgers are in Colorado at Coors Field, my guy Blake is at the game. And last time the Dodgers were in Colorado, Lo and behold, there's Blake sitting front row, right behind the catch. Sure he was on TV every single pitch sitting there in the front row.
Speaker 4: In the world did he get those seats? Good for Blake.
Speaker 5: But he is a fixture here on Dodger Talk and we love talking to him. Big Dodger fan out there in Colorado. All right, take a break, we'll come back. We'll get some more of your phone calls. We'll hear from Justin Robletski. As the Dodgers well had a chance to get him in another victory. He left with a two to nothing lead after six shutout innings. Unfortunately, Dodgers bullpen gives up two in the eighth and then Tanner's got a.
Speaker 4: Solo home run.
Speaker 5: Give it up to kateel Marte as the Diamondbacks walk off the Dodgers three to two. Here on a FI seventy LA Sports Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: AM five seventy LA Sports be anywhere at any time, and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talk all of those things. Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: We're streaming online. We stream every game too. Come find it. Back to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: On AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 5: M Cat's back with you here on Dodger Talk on your Home with the Dodgers AMPHI seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the I Heart Radio app.
Speaker 4: Thanks for being with us on this Thursday night.
Speaker 5: As the Dodgers let one get away in Phoenix, had a chance to leave Arizona with a series win head back home for the Freeway Series tomorrow night, had a two to nothing.
Speaker 4: Lead in the eighth. That lead was gone though, after.
Speaker 5: A Corbyn Carrol home run and Heraldo Perdomo RBIs single as the dim Backs scored two in the bottom of the eighth tied it it to Dodgers could not score in the top of the ninth, and then in the bottom of the ninth with one out, first pitch from Tanner Scott to Ketel Marte boom out of here solo home run as the Diamondbacks with a walk off win over the Dodgers three to two. Paul Seawall gets the winning relieve Tanner Scott.
Speaker 4: Gets the loss. How about Justin Robleski?
Speaker 5: Six shutout innings, scattered six hits, struck out four, zero walks. He's now allowed just one run over his last seventeen innings, lowered his ERA.
Speaker 4: To two sixty two on this season.
Speaker 5: Justin Robleski, I don't know if he makes the All Star Game in Philadelphia this year. I think back to a couple of years ago when Tony Gonson was just having an unreal first half of the season, and his numbers win loss were certainly better than Justin Robluski's, but Robleski's seven to two and two sixty two er. Now, if he puts together a few more starts like this and can get to nine wins, you know, maybe before the Midsummer Classic, he could be on his way to Philadelphia. I think it takes a couple of more of these strong outings for him to get there. And certainly the name power isn't going to overwhelm me anybody in baseball, and it's not like he's on a team that's just going to get one representative and man there's hands down it's Justin Robleski because he's their best pitcher.
Speaker 4: It's not that the Dodgers have nine position.
Speaker 5: Players and a DH and Showyotani that are on the National League ballot.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's scary.
Speaker 5: They got nine players on the ballot, and Justin Robleski could be the Dodger pitcher who gets the All Star Game.
Speaker 4: I certainly think he's on his way.
Speaker 5: If he continues to stack outings like he did tonight and last time out.
Speaker 4: Uh, he could very well.
Speaker 5: Find himself as a first time All Star and that would be certainly something for him to celebrate, and Dodger fans should celebrate if he's able to do that. Dodgers Baseball is brought to by Daniels Jewelers the Home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, just visit AMPHI seventy la sports dot com with the keyword home run in your name and you could win Daniel's Jeweler's own the dream. Let's head back out to Arizona. Speaking of Roubo, let's go out to Justin Robleski with the media.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean they hit some line drives today, but a lot of grumball hits. I mean, I felt like I threw the ball pretty well, kept him off balance, punched four. I mean, I feel like it's pretty solid outing. I felt like we got ahead. I felt like Russian hour working really good today, So I'm pretty pretty pleased with it.
Speaker 7: A little bit more swinging.
Speaker 4: Miss on that slider Ortnila.
Speaker 1: Hitch just kind of shape that pitch, and today didn't feel like he was just kind of one of your best.
Speaker 9: Started to feel like something was a little enhanceter with it today.
Speaker 10: I think it's just teamed to team, you know, looking at what they're looking for, trying to figure out what kind of team you're facing, And today it was just you know, I felt like the slider was working well with kind of what we were doing with the fastball, just moving it around and kind of creating that lane for it. And yeah, I had through some good sliders, through some good everything today. I think I like the way we mix the splitter, change up, whatever you want to call it in today, So overall, I think pretty good mix. I think I like where the stuff's at, a like kind of where everything's trending.
Speaker 2: Did you make any adjustments to try to come out stronger in the first couple of innings?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think, you know, going out there the first inning has got to be the most important one. I think, you know, the first inning and then whenever I feel like that last inning is going to be those are kind of the two important ones to me. But you can kind of feel that as the game's progressing. But yeah, any number one, Like, I think I've made a kind of more of a focus the past couple to come out there and try to be, you know, the best version of myself these past two and I felt like today and obviously my last time, I did a good job of that.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like dis day and age, of the way hitters are swinging, you have to be more conscious of them swinging big?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think it's again, I think it's team dependent hit or dependent. You know, you just kind of have to realize who guys are, what they like to do generally, and again just make your decision and stick with what you got. And if they swing early, I think that's great because you know a lot of the times when guys swing early, that's it's an out or it's a foul ball or whatever. I think if if you're in the zone early, like I've said, like, you're gonna have more success than not. Like, sure, sometimes you're gonna get clipped for a homer, but or a hit or whatever. But I think, you know, if you're attacking the zone, keeping them, you know, off balanced, uncomfortable and just going right at them, I think that's kind of the way to go.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 5: There's Justin Robleski, who tonight had six shutout innings and a no decision. The start before tonight, seven innings, one run, one hit, a solo home run, nine strikeouts in a win over the Philadelphia Phillies. Now in the month of May, he did have a couple of hiccups on his h on his back of his baseball card here giving up the five earned runs in Milwaukee and taking a loss and then giving up the seven earned runs against the Atlanta Braves and a loss doesn't look great. But you mix in the last two outings what he's done. You mix in the six shutout innings against the Chicago Cubs, who are a good team back in April, the six shutout innings against the Saint Louis Cardinals on the road. Then you factor in the outing he had against the New York Mets, where he went eight innings, allowed just two hits, and did not give up a run. So it's been kind of a mixed bag for Justin Robleski. But I think the good outweighs those two starts against the Brewers in the Atlanta Braves. That's why I say, if he can stack together a couple more of these outings, shutouts, one run, limit the damage, and get some wins and lower that er even more, I think he's got a real shot at making the All Star Game. Bill and Mission Viejo, thanks for being patient. Bill, How you doing on this Thursday night? Welcome to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 11: Thanks for taking my call. Yeah, what's the deal with Nelson? The Diamondbacks starting pitcher. He gave him four home runs in his last start and the Dodgers couldn't get to him much. What do you make of that?
Speaker 5: Well, Ryan Nelson against the Dodgers has been really good in his career, and it wasn't just tonight. For whatever reason, Ryan Nelson struggles against other teams like he did his last time out. You mentioned he gave up the four home runs in Seattle on Saturday, got roughed up for five runs on seven hits. Has given up what eight home runs in his last five starts coming into tonight. Ryan Nelson though against the Dodgers in his career, and the Dodgers have seen him several times since he's been with the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Speaker 4: Tonight was his sixth.
Speaker 5: Start, his ninth appearance, two and zero with the two seventy two ERA his last three home starts. Going into tonight, Ryan Nelson had a three r with eighteen strikeouts and was one and zero, so undefeated against the Dodgers, and that remained that way with a no decision for Ryan Nelson, who is let off the hook after the Dodgers to nothing lead evaporated in the bottom half of the eighth inning when Will Klein gave up two runs and then Tanner Scott gives up the solo home run to cad tell Marte in the ninth inning and the Diamondbacks walk off the Dodgers three to two. We're gonna take one more call before we call it to night. If we don't get to you, I apologize. Let's go to Ray and Georgia. We gotta check in long distance down on the ATL How you doing right? Thanks for checking in on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Hey Jim, thanks for taking the call, and I appreciate a great great program as usual. I just want to bring up something two things real quick. That rookie is the ultimate team player.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 11: He look what he did going.
Speaker 3: To shortstop, your second base and shortstop. But I'm going to tell you playing the infield is very taxing, especially shortstop. I bet you, with left field open, you put him out there in left field. Let's see what happens, because I think he should be out in the outfield. We could move Freeland to shortstop and put Rojas see and just see what happens.
Speaker 11: I think he if he could be back in the outfield.
Speaker 3: That would be unreal, and I think that would release him because there's so much pressure in the infield. And look at Tatise. He hit his first home run this week and he's and he's playing second base this year because the Cohen Worth has been out for San Diego. So it's it's a very taxing to be an outfielder.
Speaker 11: To come in as an infielder.
Speaker 8: What do you think about that?
Speaker 4: I understand what you're saying. I get it what you're saying.
Speaker 5: I don't think that's going to happen with them moving too the outfield. Mookie Betts is the everyday shortstop as long as he's healthy. And yes, it is taxing, it is grueling, but guys do it every single day.
Speaker 4: I mean my guy no more. Garcia Para did it for.
Speaker 5: An elite time for many years at the big league levels, and it was one of the best.
Speaker 4: You know, you think.
Speaker 5: About guys who play shortstop every day generally Aret, you know, power hitting guys in traditional terms, But Mookie Betts is a freak as fleet. He's so good whatever he does. He made himself a short stop. He decided he wanted to be a short stop after playing the outfield, and he turned himself into a finalist last year as a goal Glover won a Gold Glove already as an outfielder with the Boston Red Sox. So yeah, he won with the Dodgers as well in twenty twenty two as a goal glover. He is gonna be the short stop. Is he gonna be in an offensive rut like this all year?
Speaker 4: I don't think so. It's being magnified because it just.
Speaker 5: Won't stop and he's now hitting one eighty three. The numbers, you know, the on base percentage is.
Speaker 4: Just not there.
Speaker 5: I'm confident I'm gonna give Mookie Betts as long as he needs Now with a one eighty three average and a two forty six on base percentage. Am I giving him as long as he wants as the leadoff hitter or the second hitter. No, And with that being said, that's why I alluded to it earlier. I can see him dropping in the in the lineup. I can see him falling down in the lineup a little bit and and get him some better looks and not dropping him down to the ninth spot. That is not gonna happen. But I can see Mookie Bets falling down to fifth or six in the lineup. See if it changes things, you know, Tonight Dave Roberts pregame said, I like Mookie as my lead off hitter. With no show he o Tani in the lineup, I think we're gonna see, you know, Mookie hopefully turn things around. Maybe it triggers something and jump starts something. He can string together some good at bats. Tonight, Unfortunately, it just didn't happen. Mookie Bets goes zero for four and sees the average now fall below at one eighty three.
Speaker 4: So I got full confidence in Mookie Bets.
Speaker 11: I do.
Speaker 5: I'm not worried at this point that Mookie Bets offensively is gonna be in a rut all season long. I'm convinced that he is too good of an athlete to figure it out. And we're gonna see him string together at bats, string together at games series, and next thing you know, Mookie Betts will be back to being that offensive hit or that we've grown to love here in Los Angeles in his time with the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: All right, that's gonna do it for Dodger talk tonight, Man, what a night. The sky was flying.
Speaker 5: First five innings took like an hour and a half hour.
Speaker 4: Twenty minutes. Colin and I were looking at each other.
Speaker 5: Man, Okay, the Dodgers are up two to nothing, sixth seventh, all right, their cruiser right now. It's gonna be a two hour games. Last night was three hours. Two hours tonight. Unfortunately, Diamondbacks hit the pause button, got after Will climb for two runs in the eighth, and then unfortunately the Snakes bit in the ninth.
Speaker 4: Say walk off the Dodgers three to two.
Speaker 5: Tough lofts for the boys in Blue, who return home with the four games split. But now they get ready for a three game freeway series against the Angels beginning tomorrow night.
Speaker 4: Well I'm Wrongo because you know, Dodgers on.
Speaker 5: Deck beginning at six, first pitch of seven ten rookie Susanki read depvers the pitching matchup. Many thanks to Colin Ye Thanks towing you Dodger fans for being a part of the show, whether you're listening, live, calling in, or podcasting, we appreciate it.
Speaker 4: You know you have a lot of choices. Thank you for making Dodger Talk the choice.
Speaker 5: Right here on HAM five's haevny l a sports any iHeartRadio app Solong Everybody
Speaker 4: Solves