Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American?
Speaker 2: Slowly back on seven hundred, all over on this Friday morning, all the usual players in place, Aliy, the Local Loop and Allston and Drop Bottle Sports preview for this weekend with the Masters and such and the Red's Limping back Home and Big Will. We'll talk a little entertainment about a half hour. It's streaming. I'll begin the show this morning something a little bit different, little lighter, since it's been so heavy this week, And that is where are you on meat? The meat debate? More and more people every day are leading into a plant based diet. Is there something there? Or are they just missing out on bacon? Without putting words is mouse? I think my first guest this morning is going to tell you you're a bad person if you enjoy things like bacon, Doctor John Samban Matsu, Welcome to the show. How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good, Scott, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well? All right. So it's a it's a pretty loaded title, The Omnivorees Deception. What do we get wrong about meat? As I'm and I'm a vowed fan of meat. I like meat. I'm an omnivore. I will eat it all I enjoy it.
Speaker 4: Sure well, you know I grew up the same way. But what we get wrong about meat is what we get wrong about pretty much everything else. The problem isn't meat. The problem isn't eating animals. The problem is what we do to animals, and what we do is we inflict mass violence against them on them. And you know, I'm sure, well, let me ask you, do you do.
Speaker 3: Care about animals?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I have a dog love animals.
Speaker 3: Okay. Now, the thing is when we when we're raised, we.
Speaker 4: Think of dogs and cats as somehow special, you know, that they're not like other animals, and it's simply not the case. Scientifically, Cows, pigs, chickens, sheep, and so forth are just as intelligent, just as affectionate, just as capable of complex emotions as our own cats and dogs. I mean, that's that's a fact.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So so right now people don't realize it's the system that we have in place. The food system is killing about eighty billion land animals every year, mostly birds animals, and up to two point seven trillion marine animals every single year. So there's this enormous mass of violence that has to happen in order for us to eat our meat.
Speaker 3: Fine.
Speaker 2: And here's why I think most people are fine with that. And I'm sure you know this is the fact that, well, the animal kingdom in itself is extremely violent. You know, a lion never gets permission to eat a zebra. Thoes are zero craps about its fields. Now, as we get into the manufacturing and the business of food manufacturing, including livestock, you have different story. And I understand and I get it that there are some moratl implications there, but we have that we have because of our higher learning. We have something that the rest most of the other animal kingdom has, and that's a sense of morality. There's no morality that's a human.
Speaker 4: Constrict Well yes, no, Actually, the late primatologists France, the Wall and others have done enormous research on this and they've demonstrated that feelings of reciprocity, empathy, altruism in fact can be found in many, many, many species. So we, I mean humans arrived on as well. Our safety has arrived here about or evolved here about two hundred and fifty thousand years ago, So we're late comers to complex emotions like empathy.
Speaker 3: So it's true that only humans can.
Speaker 4: Talk about an annual, constant, categorical imperative, which is, you know, a moral philosophy. So that doesn't mean that that if they said, you know, uh, sentiments of care, sentiments of fairness are not found in other species. Right, if you've ever lived with two cats or two dogs or whatnot, you know, there's a kind of negotiating right.
Speaker 2: But you're but you're equating livestock with domesticated animals. So that's a false equivalency.
Speaker 3: Why is that a false equivalence?
Speaker 2: Well, because in the wild that doesn't exist. Now, you may have primates that exhibit familial type of situations in context. We see that with the late Jane goodall right, we see that all the time. But yeah, when you're talking about animals that provide sustenance for the for human beings, that's entirely a different matter. I mean, maybe within these species itself, or within the particular family, like a family of deer. But again, you know, the tiger or the lion, or the predator, be it a hawk or whatever, it doesn't give a damn about the feelings of that animal. It's it's a meal.
Speaker 4: Oh, I see what you're saying. Yeah, yeah, sure, but but but as you were saying, you know, we're not obligate carnivores, right, Lions look lions. If there was a pack of lions somewhere in Africa that was debating whether to eat gizls or not. And this goes to your point about humans, you know, being the only species with the kind of discourse about morality. Right, if one lion says the other heye, joe, you know, you know those those gazelle's taste really good. But I just I just have a bad feeling about it. Like I was looking into the eye of a casel and I thought, you know what, we're not so different being that caseelle happen?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: And and the other I mean, and the other line, and the other line say, well, you know what, now they're just so good.
Speaker 3: I just want to go on. Now.
Speaker 4: The thing is lions have to eat other animals. That's just biologically the fact that is not true, and people misunderstand what it means to be quote and omnivore. It doesn't mean that we have a moral or any other kind of license to commit harm against other beings.
Speaker 3: It means that we can metabolize.
Speaker 4: Pretty much anything, including I would point out humans, right, I mean cannibalism, Anthropocrates and part of human many men, hundreds of human cultures for thousands of years, even parts of the human body.
Speaker 3: So we can't simply say, oh, it's natural. It isn't.
Speaker 4: It is no more natural than like downloading Netflix or something. It's a cultural choice we make. So and there's no reason why we have to keep doing this. And furthermore, like, well.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's let's get an argument at doctor John Soda Matsu the omnivorous deception, and and the premise here is is it the morality of it? Is that the environmental aspect, I mean, is is there such a thing as humane meat? Are you saying that's impossible?
Speaker 4: Yes, I am saying that's impossible. Look, I mean if someone came into your you said you have a dog, dog, someone came in. Yeah, someone came into your house, and you know, blesding your dog to death or stab your dog in the throat or stomped on your dogs or skin your dog alive. You would be trumped. And that was in front of you. You would be traumatized.
Speaker 2: And I would, but you know when I wouldn't if I live in a country that in an Asian country, where that was looked upon as as a meal, like like how those in India look at cows. Yeah, sure, it's cultural, and it's it's it's it's it's a it's a nuance, right, it's it's all fabricated in the human mind. We can certainly know, but we can do better by being, you know, better stewards of the earth in the animal kingdom. Certainly, you know, factory farming. We know that there's a lot of negative, a lot of bad things that go on there. But the idea that somehow we just wake up in a perfect world we be all vegetarians, isn't Isn't there also a hazard in that?
Speaker 4: No, there's no hazard in it. On the contrary, the animal food economy is destroying. It's undermining the conditions of all life on this planet. It's the most destructive force on the earth in terms of destroying top soil, in terms of depleting water, destroying biodiversity, leading cause and massive distinction crisis which people don't even talk about. And that's even worse than global warming, which animal agriculture is contributing about thirty percent of greenhouse gases to. So no, we have every intensi to stop this. I mean, vegans and vegetarians on balance, if you look at all the medical studies, live longer, they do better, they have lower rates of hearts these strokes.
Speaker 2: Okay, but aren't many people's food choices literally constrained by economics and culture and geography. In a perfect world, you could do that, But this is not. It's an imperfect world. And framing this is an individual moral choice it ignores the issues of food access, agricultural pality, governments, politics, and all that other stuff. You're ignoring that. You're you're ignoring what creates this, and you can't do that.
Speaker 3: No, I can't. I can't agree with that.
Speaker 4: I mean that the food insecurity is being created by the animal system because it's creating enormous disparities of wealth between the north and the south. You talk, you talk about people, farmers being thrown off their land and the Amazon and so forth, to burn down the Amazon rainforest by jbs. It suppliers to create uh to provide beef. It's the most inefficient, wasteful way to create food for humans. But just to correct you, I'm not saying that this is a question of individual moral choice, not at all. I'm saying that this entire system has to be abolished, all of it because none of it is necessary excuse me, and all of it is wrong, it's unjust.
Speaker 2: But again, you keep getting back to the semantics of the human mind of unjust in these and their feelings is what they are morality, but it has in the real world.
Speaker 4: Well, listen, I keeap ethics. So I can't agree with you on this. I mean, when you know you were saying.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Everyone's ethics seem these days to be up to the individual the eyes of the beholder, So I don't know if there's any Well, that's that's moral high ground here.
Speaker 3: That's called moral relativism.
Speaker 4: And getting back to a question I'd asked you about how you would feel if someone attacked your dogs. You said, well, and you said, if I'd been raised differently in another culture, I might feel differently. That's true, but it's irrelevant because your your capacity to using your intelligence and your empathy to understand what had what would have been done to your dogs. You would understand that was unjust, that was wrong to do to your dogs, and it has nothing to do with your cultural upbringing. I'm saying that that's actual knowledge. That's real knowledge. Whereas people in another culture who might have been socialized to see dogs simply as things be exploited and harmed, they are incorrect. You can't compare those two forms of knowledge and say they're equipment. They're not equivalently your understanding that your dog has a personhood.
Speaker 3: That is to say, is.
Speaker 4: There someone sure if your dog is a human right? But that is that is that's a valid insight Scott, that you have having lived with dogs. That's not true. That's not true.
Speaker 2: Okay, But again it's you're taking out. I suppose there are people who love pigs or eels or whatever it might be, and we look at it going, I don't get it. It's not for me, but that that in itself is human nature. How do you propose you well, I guess before we get to that, John, Yeah, the idea, So, in a perfect what would happen to the animal kingdom? We just let the animals run? What would there be any justification for killing animals? Weather for pleasure? Obviously hunting would be out with you, but for a food source? Do we just let the animal kingdom run itself?
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's have a moratorium on the farm that we're committing. I just said that we're killing trillions of animals for ye're wiping them out like sharks.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I asked my students sometimes how many humans are killed by sharks every year?
Speaker 3: And you know, oh, interestingly.
Speaker 4: They get that about like they say about you know, between ten and fifteen humans are killed by sharks every year, and we think of sharks are scary, dangerous, irrational creatures. Right, there's the fiftieth anniversary year of Jaws. But then I asked them, well, how many sharks are killed by humans every year? And they guess, oh, thousands, No, right, Okay, it's one hundred millions. It's one hundred million sharks every year are being killed by humans. And those are intelligent, sensitive creatures and we.
Speaker 3: Don't even know. People don't even know that because they're considered.
Speaker 2: Because of a Steven Spielberg movie.
Speaker 4: Well, Spielberson maybe have a huge had a huge impact, right, So the sharks beIN supernat But listen, my point is this, scrusted other animals are interesting, intelligent, They're worthy of our respect and our compassion. They're worthy of our love, you know, and we shouldn't destroy we can't let me. We can't love what we seek to destroy. So yes, hunt fishing, we don't need any of them. There's been vegetarians for three thousand years, vegan diety.
Speaker 2: So it's still only like ten to twenty percent of the population. I mean, if your idea was so sound, why wouldn't we see more of it, especially not just in developed nations but elsewhere.
Speaker 4: Well it's not as so you know, the best ideas went out. Look, Jesus came two thousand years ago and said, hey, let's you know, love your brother. So they killed him, you know, and how have humans been doing since then?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: Whenever you know, Martin Luther King, hey, let's let's have racial equality and end to war.
Speaker 3: And they killed him too, like right.
Speaker 2: Because there's no because there's no universal I mean, we like to think there's a universal morality speaking of the Bible, but it's not. And that's why we have we have human conflict, which is outside the scope of this conversation. We're talking about eliminating the meat economy, so no, no killing of animals, and a prof in doctor John's world, we don't have. We have animals just living their lives grazing. What do we do so, then we would need obviously need more crop. Well, I don't we more crops, but we still need crops to survive. How do you balance the fact that the animals would just eat the crops and how would you keep those animals in check from eating all your crops.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, you know, this idea of wild nature basically had ceased to exist because we've we've turned the entirety of the world into a kind of prison house. Ninety ninety six percent of believe, of all mammals on the Earth by biomass by weight, excluding humans, are our prisoners a waiting slaughter. Ninety six percent on the entire earth of all birds on the planet are our prisoners waiting slaughtered. So and the thing is, if we if we stopped raising animals, we closed down these speedlots, we would be able to reforce the earth that would sequester up to But if.
Speaker 2: You let these animals just simply go Okay, you're free. Now you're released from this prison that you just said, won't they just continue to breed, And if they breed, they breed up to the point where they can sist in life, which means eating our food. Supply, how do you balance that out? If the animals run wild and you're not allowed to kill them, John, what's going to prevent them from eating all our food?
Speaker 4: I think that you know, it's a serious question to ask what we're going to do with the existing animals we've brought into them with, you know, uh, sexually reproduced, mutilated in order to bring into the world for our purposes. That's that's a legitimate question. But what I'm saying is we should stop sexually reproducing keeping confining new animals because we could, we could shade this out.
Speaker 3: We really could pade.
Speaker 2: This out well, while with the old animals continue to breed, and you're not answering the questions like they're just going to eat all our food, aren't they?
Speaker 4: They're not going to eat all our food. They're already eating. First of all, the food that's being grown. It's not being grown for human consumption. It's being grown to create profits for you know, pArg now.
Speaker 2: And we also the fact that we like it's profit, John, but we we I like a steak, I know you don't, but steak, chicken fish foul I'm a big fan. Is about ninety eighty to ninety percent of the rest of the world. So don't diminish that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, but you know, there's such a thing as moral enlightenment, and that's what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about You said you like, well I did too. I used to like that stuff. But the human talent is plastic, it's malleable. I don't miss any of that stuff, you know, having made that transition forty years ago.
Speaker 3: Seriously.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you talk to anyone who's actually made that transition, they don't look back.
Speaker 3: It's simply right. I mean people, Well, but that's not you.
Speaker 2: That's not all vegetarians are I mean, vegans a different class, but not plenty of people who have experimented with that. I said, yeah, it's just not for me. I don't feel well. I enjoy having maybe less meat, but stillating meat.
Speaker 4: Well, we're talking about different kinds of goods here, right, which I mean you're talking about pleasure, you know, having an aesthetic preference on the one hand, and I'm talking about something that's deeply, deeply wrong, deeply deeply wrong. It's simply, deeply deeply wrong to inflict on necessary violence, extreme violence on other beings, helpless defenseless intelligent beings is simply wrong to do.
Speaker 2: Then have that conversation with tigers and lions, Well will they listen to your will they just eat you?
Speaker 4: Well, as I just said, you know we're not oppo gate carnivores and and we can we have a choice, right, I mean, how you saying Leonardo da Vinci and Jane You mentioned Jane Goodall. Jane Goodall was a vegan, she advocated the vegan Was she was she crazy?
Speaker 3: Was she?
Speaker 2: No? But but you think people who eat meat are that's the difference. I respect your decision. But do you think that I'm some sort of criminal against the world because I enjoy a steak? That's crazy?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think. I'm not saying you're a criminal, but I'm saying that it's wrong. Yeah, And I think that you should think about it and make it and do something differently about with your life.
Speaker 3: I do. I think that's that's.
Speaker 4: That's true, And I think it's true that people who don't reflect in this matter are missing something very important. I mean, I begin my book by saying, Look, people think the question of meat and eat animal product is trivial.
Speaker 3: What could be more trivial.
Speaker 4: Right. I'm sure on your talk show you have a you know, lots of debates about a lot of really important topical issues, right, and your listeners, you know, take these issues seriously. This is the one where you cannot talk to anyone without them going holistic. If a Vegan is in the room and says, hey, here's the system of math, violence, of degradation and cruelty, and I don't want to participate in that. If we even say that, right, people.
Speaker 2: Find with that. No, I respect your No. I can't say for the person who may be listening to this right now, y'all get their radio. But I know I totally was. I don't think I was disrespectful. I'm challenging, but I respect your viewpoint. I understand where you're coming from.
Speaker 4: No, no, I'm not saying no.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying you, But I'm just saying that general Vegan people get they go. They're very defensive about this because they do not want to examine the issues. And I just ask people read my book and keep an open mind. Just read the first chapter of my book and keep an open mind. And I think that what will happen is you'll see things a little differently. What I'm trying to do is that people to understand that this is something that matters. It's not to be dismissed. And you know, with bad arguments, you know, I gets so many bad arguments, Well what about carrots? Carrots are alive too, you know, what about it?
Speaker 3: Or what about uh? You know the line with the gazelle.
Speaker 4: That has nothing to do okay, whether we should keep pigs and kill them, there's nothing just what the lines do with their business, you know.
Speaker 3: And I'm saying there's nothing to.
Speaker 4: Do with uh.
Speaker 5: I think it does.
Speaker 2: I just think we have a lot of humans, a lot of time on our hands and Google and AI, and I think we sit around worrying about stuff that previous generations probably didn't worry about. I'm not saying we can't be better with the environment. We need to and and better stewards of the animal kingdom for sure. But yeah, I don't really have much qualms from a morality a morality standpoint about eating meat.
Speaker 4: But again, it's not about it's not about let me but it's not about eating meat. It's like, how can you how can you be in different Scott, How can you be indifferent to this incredible violence and pools, because that's being inflicted on billions and billows.
Speaker 2: If I eat meat, then I'm mortally implicit. I'm guilty of the the you know, quote unquote crime that you're intinuating. But hey, I gotta get going. If doctor John Sonda not, I really enjoyed the conversation, the omnimorous deception, what we get wrong about meat, animals and ourselves. Lots of think about there. All the best, good luck with the book, and thanks for jumping on this morning.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot, Scott.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you. I don't mind. There's a certain number of Tofu dishes of actually pretty damn good Sechwan dishes are delicious of that kind of stuff. It's till you cook. It's like anything. It certainly got a lot better, but it's a far cry from well, sometimes you just want a steak, but like anything, not every day. Will Gas is next. What is happening streaming wise? I on Masters this weekend, you got reds baseball, i FC is playing and outside of sports and anything worth watching on the stream. We'll talk to will Gas or maybe see about that next Friday morning. Scott's Loan Show seven hundred w O.
Speaker 6: Now a man who has entertainment reporting of coursing through his veins, which makes him nicolity is ABC, well again from New York.
Speaker 1: Well, good Marty.
Speaker 2: How's life brother?
Speaker 5: My life is pretty good? How are you?
Speaker 2: What makes it pretty good? In your world?
Speaker 7: I feel like spring is finally springing here.
Speaker 3: In New York City.
Speaker 4: I'm healthy, My loved ones are healthy, you know.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: All right, all the things that make life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty introspective of you know, it's good. Yeah, to get the smells of New York are coming back to life? Was that I don't know how to describe it. There's something I love about the smell of New York City. It's it's like it's a combination of exhaust and pollution and cardboard and uh stale alcohol. It's like a whole but right, all of those weird the weird smells of New York. You know, the rats are taking their winter coats off. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: So we got lots going on, including this, and of course are really we were all taken aback when Catherine O'Hara died unexpectedly of course, I remember she's had a legendary career obviously, but most recently, I think her biggest, arguably her biggest hit Shits Creek and It's run And now Dan Levy, who, by the way, his dad of course, you know, is and they're both in that show and Shit's Creek. But Dan Levy is now back. I saw the trailer and it's one of those trailers and I know, you know what I'm talking about, will that I don't know what to make of it because there's just a glimpse of Dan Levy there. But at the same time, I'm not He looks funny, but I'm not sure about this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's sort of an impossible task, right, like writing your follow up to something as hugely popular and successful as Shits Creek.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 7: But in my opinion, I think that this is a great follow up to it. It's called Big Mistakes, and I would say the biggest differences between Shits Creek and Big Mistakes are that this show is a little edgier. It's more crime and thriller focused, you know, like there's a lot of action in this new series in a way that Shit's Creek was. I think more like character focus felt more or like traditional sitcom. This thing feels a little bit more based on like action and high stakes and things like that. But that said, at the same time, it's also very funny. There are a lot of really fun family dynamics at play. So Dan plays the older brother. He has a younger sister who in episode one shop lists and necklace that ends up really biting them in the butt. A bunch of bad guys pretty much are on them from the jump after she steals this necklace, so that's where episode one starts. But they have a mother who's played by Laurie metcalf who's.
Speaker 2: Awesome and everything. By the way, Laurie Metcalfe, you remember her from Roseann where Everything's good.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So all of the episodes of season one dropped just this week on Netflix, and I had a ton of fun watching this thing, so I think it's definitely worth checking out.
Speaker 2: Is he a priest or is he just dressed like a priest because I saw that in the trailer.
Speaker 7: More No, he he is a priest of like a non denominational church, I think, And yeah, yeah, so it's also hilarious seeing him in in those vespists at all. And then and then of course, you know, struggling with all of the things that I guess you know you would have to struggle with being a pastor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so it's a it's about a it's a family dynamic, then, is what it.
Speaker 7: Is, family dynamic, but but mostly centered around this idea that they stole a necklace and now all these you know, you know there's a guy who shows up at their house at night with a gun, you know, being like I need that back or you're going to get it.
Speaker 2: So I got it, got it all right? Yeah, and then I know, and I'm a big fan of it. Hacks on HBO is fantastic. And I was surprised to see that this is the final season. Is this the third fourth fifties? I can't, I want to say fourth season fifties.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I was surprised AT's ending because it seemed like it was running really good.
Speaker 7: I mean, I agree with you, and she wins the Emmy every single year, Jean Smart. So it's it does feel like you know, I have I have like such a pit in my stomach, you know, I want The first episode of the final season came out last night, and it just like it stinks when you love something so much and you're like.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it's ending.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that that said, I you know, I'm sure that you know, they all probably just want to go out on top and it you know, that's maybe what the decision is here. But yeah, so season five picks up exactly where season four left off. Everyone thinks that Debora's dead because TMZ ran an errand article that she had died. So she come she comes back and is you know, trying to come back bigger than ever. And then there's something that happens at the very very end of episode one where you figure out what the rest of the season is going to be about, and it's it's great. It's just so exciting to see those two back on screen, and the supporting cast is amazing too. I mean I laugh out loud when when Meg Stalter is on screen too, So uh yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah I saw her stand up and uh I was like, man, I'm just not I'm not a fan of her stand but you know, the show is absolutely awesome and it's funny to talk about art imitating life. Is I don't know if you saw this because the premise this season is TMS killed her. She was actually dead, but CNN just did this with Michael J. Fox. Did you see this?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, yeah, can you imagine?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like.
Speaker 7: That one in particular, I mean, he's a national treasure, so that's a yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know how that mistake gets made, you know, behind the scenes. I mean you're you're at ABC will and they have all these you know, obituaries, these dead roles ready to go, and you know they have all you have an archive basically just keep adding new material to it. But that's why, like minutes after a celebrity passes, you've got all this, you know, this whole package put together describing their life. Because you know, when you're above a certain age, you're you know, your best days are behind you and you've got fewer sunrises to look at the nature of it, especially network level, you guys prepare for these things and like somebody, I don't know, somehow the side and Michael J. Foxhide and they ran the package exactly exactly.
Speaker 7: And when I first started working here and I found out that there were just all of these tape pieces were ready to run, I.
Speaker 3: Was like, this is terrible. It's so morbid, but you're right, like, you know you have to be prepared.
Speaker 5: Can you be a rat for me?
Speaker 2: I would love could you get a Could you email me the list of all the bios that you have ready to go. I'm just fascinated by who you think is going to die soon enough to have a package put together in advance of their death.
Speaker 7: Offline, I can send you a couple of names that I was very surprised to learn.
Speaker 2: About, Okay, because I think that's fascinating, Like, who do you think is going to die? And not necessarily people like I don't know, Abe Vagoda or something like yeah, there's old people ready to go and they're like, wow, I had no idea you had that person on the list, Like they're only in their thirties, right, I'm sure there's someone out there that's like huh.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean anyone who's exhibited any especially erratic behavior.
Speaker 2: It gets added to the list pretty quickly. Yeah, yeah, yes, Well we got to put a package together for this person. Right here. He is Will Gance, ABC New York, our entertainment guy. All right, so we have the final season Hacks kicking off.
Speaker 3: We have.
Speaker 2: Dan Levy and from Shit's Creek. It's called Big Mistakes. That's on Netflix. And if you're a fan of Handmaid's Tale, The Testaments is now screaming on Hulu. I am not I don't know what to make of Handmaid's Tale. I'm afraid of it. Those women scare me. I don't like the hooded things. They look like weird, like Cobra's or something. I want no part of this, but please, for those who do, tell me, Yeah, for those who do.
Speaker 7: And there is a big audience of people who are into that show. This is of course based on Margaret Atwood's novel, and then the follow up, The Testaments, is based on the sequel novel to The Handmaid's Tale as well. So The Testaments the first three episodes dropped on Hulu this week. It is about an all girls' school and it's set after the events of The Handmaid's Tale. Aunt Lydia is running this school. Who's played by Ann Dowd, who's amazing. And then Chase Infinity, the actress who was in one battle after another with Leo DiCaprio earlier this year. She's the lead actress in this series, so you know she's she's great and So for anyone who is into the Handmaid's Tale in that world and the women that are you know, sort of needing to team up to course correct this dystopian America that that is unfolding. That is the first three episode shop this week, and it'll be one new episode each week on Wednesday night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, considering real life is sort of like, you know, it's all that drama and heavy stuff. I need more hacks and I need more big mistakes as opposed to the Handmaid's Tale. Maybe that's why I'm not Plus, the women are scary in that I don't like that whole that old wardrobe thing is terrible for me.
Speaker 3: I mean, everyone is gary, but I'm with you.
Speaker 7: It's it's tough to spend an hour of your of your week watching something that feels a little too close to home sometimes.
Speaker 2: Right right, too much like reality, I guess in some cases. All Right, he is Will Gans with two asses at will Gans. He's in New York. He is our entertainment guy. So now you know what's on the stream this weekend. If you're not checking out sports, well all the best. Will chat next Friday. Have a great weekend, make it the best ever.
Speaker 5: Thank you. So much.
Speaker 2: You two and get me that damn list. I need that list. I need the list of people you think are going to die soon. And the younger the more interesting it is. Old Pen's fine. You know, we've got all ones ready to go here at the station. Cunningham is on it, Seg is on it. I'm on it. We're all on it. There's the list. Mine will be rather a short though, I'd be like ten seconds. Well he killed time. He talked for three hours. What a guy. Thank you very much. We've got news on the way in minutes here on the Big one seven hundred wws. We slipping to the weekend, of course, you know that's the streaming stuff that's on if you're not into sports, or maybe you're just you sports out. Now the college basketball is over, we settled into red season. They come back limping home against the Angels here at Great American Ballpark after dropping the last two to Miami, and I thought for sure, I thought, for sure we'll get into this with Austin Ollmore that after that massive come from behind ninth inning that they had the other night, I thought, wow, now they got the secret sauce. They're able to come back now and put six runs up down from to nothing to win it, and they lost the last two. So who the hell knows what's going on there. There's certainly some issues with the Reds, but you still look at the standings go, how the hell are they just a half guy a game behind Milwaukee. That's a great question. We'll get into that with Austin Elmore ten thirty five, as well as the Masters too. Of course Masters weekend is here. It's kind of like the Indy five hundred or Daytona five hundred. You may not be a fan of NASCAR or Open Wheel, but those weekends everyone is. And this is that weekend for golf with the Masters, of course in augusta absolutely gorgeous. I guess the weather forecast is amazing. It's going to be spectacular, one of the best ever weatherwise, if you're fortunate enough to get a ticket and be down there, but even just watching on TV, it's absolutely fantastic. So it looks like Rory is off to well where he picked off last year. Could we have a successful back to back Master's champion Royal Malcore. A lot of golf left to play this weekend, and that of course on TV as well as well as f C SIN Saturday playing. So anyway, more of that a little bit. As I said, news in the way and in the way, I'm in the way of news here seven hundred W other all right, weekend is here. God knows we needed heavy, heavy news week. That's why on Friday on my show anyway, I like to just pump the brakes a little bit. I mean, if there's serious things we need to talk about, certainly not beyond that. But you know, Friday's like sick break, Let's make it a three day week. Idly say so, thanks for joining the show at Scott's Loan here on seven hundred WLW. This is maybe fits into both coming up next on the show because typically this weekend you're gonna have something to drink, an adult beverage or two or maybe more, god knows, a little chemical yoga. We are funding a problem. If you live in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana you don't have to worry about, but particular in Ohio, we're kind of funding a problem here. So if you're drinking a little bit, you're buying your alcohol whatever form that might be in, and you are paying taxes on it, and your of course paying something called a syntax and politicians love syntaxes because then they look at it. It's like free money, because you know, we're just tax advice. A little bit more and you'll still have your avice. You'll pay more for it, and we can do whatever we want with the money. Yay, free money. There's a scandal going on now we haven't talked about much. It's Jobs Ohio. So Jobs Ohio is a state mandated nonprofit. They were created this back about maybe about fifteen years ago. I think I'll have to look that up, but it was a stadium and she said, oh, okay, we need to privatize this because we need more economic development. And to this to this point, they're operating. Revenue as of two years ago was close to two billion dollars and that money is exempt from Ohio public records and open meeting lots because it's privatized. You know, I'm a big privatization guy. But the problem is this is Jobs Ohio just paid sixty thousand dollars to sponsor four episodes of a podcast, but only one episode was delivered and the podcast host was the Romantic Interest. Then President Ted Carter of the Ohio State university who resigned over that whole scandal. So they and it's not about the sixty grand, you go, well, sixty grand of a two billion dollar budget is nothing. I get that, But this was the one that put them on blast, going what's going on here? Because if you look at the number of jobs that were created, or at least look at the employment rate here in Ohio, and it's pretty stagnant, and it's been stagnant for some time. And when they announce these number, oh yeah, we're doing a looking in those jobs and we're bringing jobs, And well, it's who's cooking the books here, because our labor force in the state and these are the official numbers after jobs of WHI was created since twenty eleven, are hovering near two point I'm sorry, close to six million, and labor force partuspicions actually declined. Now a lot of it has to do with the economy, of course, but our unemployment rate is still above the national rate. So if we're spending two billion dollars of your drinking money on creating jobs, they're not doing a very good good job of it. We'll talk about this more. Bob Alt is the CEO of the Buckeye in Stuit Marl libertarian type of think tank, but that they, along with Dave Yost, working in collaboration together to solve this problem. Because you know what, if you're buying beer, If you're buying alcohol and your tax money is going to allegedly create jobs and it's not, we got a problem. We'll get into it next afternoons on the Home of the Red seven hundred ww Cincinat.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be an American idiot.
Speaker 2: It's a Scott Flung show on seven hundred WLW. You drink a little this weekend, maybe having a couple of pops? Well, if so, and I'm going to be there too. We're actually funding a problem. Ohio's liquor money is contributing to a scandal that you may not have heard about. And the agency spending that tax money on the liquor and on the beer isn't They're not answering to anybody. I guess they're being held unaccountable. What is going on? Robert Aldos here is the president and CEO of the libertarian leaning Buck Guye Institute. Welcome, How are you, Robert.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, This is interesting because there's no one more pro workforce development than me, I think, in the city, in media, and because I firmly believe in that. I do it when I'm not here, and I want more bodies in the trades because it is the pathway to a great life. And there's an outfit called Jobs Ohio and it is a state mandated private nonprofit. They created this under Kasik and twenty eleven to replace the state agency that was handling economic development. They said, look, we can do this better in the private sector, and I think you'd agree, but both of us series like, yeah, private sector is great, it's lean, it's mean, it gets a job done. The core mission for Jobs Ohio is to drive job creation and then capital investment in the state by tracking business and keeping existing ones, and so we compete against other states for jobs. Obviously that we find economic development incentives to use. The profit from liquor liquor monopoly is what it is. And there's site selection assistance and workforce developments. I mentioned all these wonderful things, and yet it's in crisis right now. There's a scandal going on. So that is what Job's Ohio does. Can you lay out the argument as to why the state of Ohio is screwing this.
Speaker 3: Up, Well, you know, I think it's pretty simple at its base. My mother used to tell me that nothing good happens after midnight, So no one should be surprised that mischief is happening at an entity that is set up to work in darkness. It's unfortunate, but it's not surprising when you financially incentivize bad behavior. Do you know what happens bad behavior. That's what we've got going on here. So I'm sure that your listeners are familiar with the scandal. At this point, it rocked Ohio State President Carter was essentially granting additional access to a woman with whom he's alleged to have had an inappropriate relationship. It resulted in sixty thousand dollars in grants from Jobs Ohio for a podcast that had very few listeners and created even fewer jobs. And you already you already said it. The job of Jobs Ohio, It's one job is to is to create jobs for Ohio. And and this is not what was occurring in this case. Now, I am not in the business of making predictions, but let me tell you something. If then when accountability comes to Jobs Ohio, this scandal, this this scandal involving the podcast, it's just going to be the tip of the iceberg because the problem is Jobs Ohio has been operating without any accountability.
Speaker 2: And it should be because I mean, you know, Kasik, you democratic government, then you have you know, have your Republican legislature. I mean they should be keeping an eye on each other's thing's been going on since what twenty eleven is what I said. And it sounds like we need more oversight, which is completely contrary into the way we both believe that. You know, you put some guardrails in place and you let private industry do it. Was you start hamstringing and you know, putting favoring one over the other. That's what the trouble is when it comes to government. But it sounds like more oversight is actually needed.
Speaker 3: In this well one hundred percent. Well, once again, you want to actually give private industry the ability to operate at not hamstring it with regulations. When you're dealing with institutions that are involved the public trust there, you need oversight there. You want transparency, and government should not be first of all, I mean I think that there's a serious issue with government picking winners and losers. Private industry is much better at applying the acid tests and figuring out what works and what doesn't. Government has a really bad track record at this, And so I think that when you have government created entities, which is what we're talking about with Jobs Ohio, handing out big sums of money, you really need oversight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Robert Alt, theproof is in what you do right. If if Job's allow they claim last year or no, maybe two years ago, I guess it'd be two years ago that they created over nineteen thousand new jobs, over nineteen billion dollars in capital andssessments. They kept and held on to almost fifty five thousand jobs statewide, and an independent assessment called it in a class by itself. We're eighth nationally and employment growth in target industries like logistics and healthcare and IT and financial service. However, despite those numbers, our labor force in Ohio, which is the true metric here we should be talking about here, has barely moved since it was created in twenty eleven. We're just under six million jobs in labor force participation rate has actually declined. The overall economy has something to do that for sure, But I look at it and go, okay, well, if the needle hasn't moved, that you can talk about all these glowing reviews and assessments and the numbers that they tout on their website, But if you actually look at the real data here, it doesn't look like they've done anything.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I think there are serious concerns. And part of the question I have, and I talked about this in the off ed that I co authored with the Attorney General, is where are we getting those numbers from? Oh that's right, jobs Ohio. I would feel much more confident if we had a serious outside review of those numbers so that we could put a bit more faith in them. And you know, someone who actually is really well qualified to judge these things is the auditor of the state. And my question is why is it that the legislature doesn't trust the duly elected auditor of Ohio to do the job that the good people of Ohio elected him to do.
Speaker 2: Well Because he has a fiduciary responsibility by oath and therefore he doesn't answer to the politicians. He has to come up with the actual data.
Speaker 3: Right absolutely, where whereas in the case of Jobs, Ohio Jobs to the extent that it has any accountability on its numbers, It has its own pays for its own audit chooses its own auditor, and that auditor, as we note, isn't going to look into some of the political questions like the self dealing issue that we saw in the podcast Scandle, whereas the auditor of the state as the authority and has the ability to go after those sorts of issues to make sure that these dollars are being spent widely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and jabs Ohio since it's privately funded with the liquor profits, not tax dollars. But it seems to me it's a tax so I you know, I guess it's private public partnership here. But making out like, oh, it's completely privately funded, No, it's not. Every time I have a sip of alcohol, I'm paying for this.
Speaker 3: I think there's a bit of leisure tomay going on in that in that claim that the entire way that this is built, I mean, why it's using liquor profits, why it's set up as a private entity is one of the key reasons is to hide it from public scrutiny, is to prevent it from being subjected to public disclosure to our our ordinary open meetings and public disclosure laws. So yes, as a technical matter, you're not using tax dollars, but that were This is a publicly created ententity, a government created entity that uses monopoly profits from the liquor industry that are bonded against purportedly for the benefit of the sidis of Ohio in order to create additional jobs. So it should we should make sure that it's actually doing that and doing that well.
Speaker 2: Robert Alt from the Buckeye Institute on this Job's Ohio scandal, And we're all paying for this. But if you drink alcohol, Hey, if you're a teetotaler, go listen to some nice music or something. But if you enjoy beer and alcohol, we're funding jobs of Hio, which is supposed to be out workforce development and keeping and bringing more jobs to Ohio. And their mission that they're taking the money and doing God does with with it. It's an abject failure right now. And this has broken through with the podcast scandal. Then you mentioned this is the beginning, Robert. It's sixty thousand dollars budget for a podcast and no one's downloading and listening to this thing and we spend a ton of money, and that is that the smoking gun to the tip of the iceberg. Because sixty grand they're operating budget two years ago was almost two billion dollars. That's nothing. Where's this money going?
Speaker 3: That is a great question, and I don't think we're going to get an answer to that unless until we actually have greater transparency. But yeah, sixty grand, I agree. Is I think that that that is small potatoes compared to what we're talking about. But you can look at other examples that we know about. You can look at something like the Lord's Town plant, which I mean, this is something that even pre dates jobs Ohio, the state of Ohio had had offered. I think, I think something in the ballpark of sixty million dollars in in in special subsidies to GM to create to create. Was it the Chevy Cruise at that plant or GM ended up pulling out? Then jobs Ohio and Ohio entities ended up poning up. I believe it was in the ballpark of twenty four million dollars for Load's lorgetown motor and they counted all the wonderful new jobs that were going to be created by Lordstown Motor Not a single car rolled off that lot, off that assembly line.
Speaker 2: In your you're and the thing. I lived for years in the Youngstown Warren air when moved from upstate New York, first moved to Ohio, lived in the in the Warren area, and then so I know Lordstown very well. A lot of friends and neighbors back there were worked at lord and that you know, you're talking about hope for a town like Youngstown as well. If we get Lordstown back, we're talking jobs and we can finally start to turn our economy around. Because even in good economic times, Youngstown Warren never gets that memo. And unfortunately, you know, they're sold a bill of goods that didn't come to fruition. You can't entirely lay that at the feet of jobst Ohio. But in this case, I'm looking at their budget. Unless we're talking less than sixty percent of the liquor profits go to actual economic development, where's the rest going?
Speaker 3: That's a great question, uh, And I think that's the question that that's the question that that that all Ohio and should be asking. And I think at this point it's a question they should be asking their legislators uh, in the state Assembly, which is why is it we don't know? Why is it that we don't.
Speaker 4: Have better data?
Speaker 3: Why is it that we can't get a greater accountability. So I'm pleased that a number of legislators are starting to step up. There's there's multiple legislative proposals now that are pending that subject Jobs Ohio to greater accountability. And I think it's about it's about time.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the why is easily answered. You know, the jobs Ohio. Uh, Jobs Ohio was a Sentien's bipartisan right. Everyone who goes, oh, we need more jobs, and that's something Democrats and Republics Atlanta. But you know what they take the money and it's it's basically pork on a state level. So you have all these lawmakers it can hand out money to with no accountability whatsoever, to get re elected and keep their position. That's probably what's going on here. It's no different than what happens at the federal level with with pork barrel spending.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Look, I understand handing out money is a is a very popular thing for politicians to do, and so Jobs Ohio I think is very popular in that sense. Yep, So but if they're if we're going if that entity is going to exist, and it does exist, then it needs to have accountability. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We here in Cincinnati, we have very very deep blue government in the city of Cincinnati, and Cincinnati is the heartbeat that beats our region. We all identify Cincinnatians here, Robert and in the governor local government. They do a great job of taking you know, hey, we need to get those money together and we're gonna, I don't know, we're going to solve poverty and we're going to hand money out to all these organizations. There's no accountability, and poverty still continues, and they just ask for more money. And then when you don't, somehow it's racist or biased or whatever it might be and insane. Is this any different with with Republicans and Democrats and Columbus Uh?
Speaker 3: I think, I think what you're what you're looking at and in this situation is the desire to use these public dollars UH to draw a new business. My own opinion always has been the way that you do this is you create a system where everyone gets a fair shake, where where we all know and we get to play by the rules of the rules of the game that actually creates conditions where businesses thrive. But that but to your point, yes, there definitely is this this sort of approach by politicians that the way that you actually cultivate new business is by giving these sorts of these sorts of incentives. As long as we have that kind of an organization in place, you need accountability to make sure because obviously there's there risks in those sorts of situations of self dealing, of corruption, of cronyism, and so you know, just inherent in that sort of organization you have that risk, and so you need those additional guardrails and safeguards and accountability.
Speaker 2: Robert all on the Job's Ohio scandals from a Buckeye institute. Okay, there's the Job's Ohio Transparency Act that's also bipartisan. So what do you think the odds are that actually passes, given how many politicians benefit from people to hand out money Jobs Ohio money that there's no accountability for.
Speaker 3: You know, as I said, I'm not in the prediction game. I've been surprised one way or another. But you know, it's interesting to see an addition to that bill. I think even in the last couple of days, we've seen additional bills drop. I think there's a lot more scrutiny of Jobs Ohio because of what happened with this podcast scandal, and I certainly, I certainly hope that the legislature takes this theory seriously and provide some much needed accountability.
Speaker 2: All right, So if it passes, is written, it does it go far enough? If you examined that it is just just a first step towards something a little more fundamental, I.
Speaker 3: Would say it's a good for It's a good first step. It provides for a real audit. It makes sure that the I believe it's the COO of Jobs Ohio has to appear before the legislature and be able to answer questions. It makes sure that once again we talked about the liquor revenues and how it is that which is how Jobs Ohio funds these projects. Recently, Jobs Ohio was re upped for I think an additional fifteen years, even before it's scheduled renewal. It makes sure that there's greater there's greater scrutiny and protocol with regard to the funding stream. All those are good steps to provide accountability and checks job, so lot.
Speaker 2: Do you feel that there is enough public sentiment against this and one demanding answers for this in demanding change in order to enact it.
Speaker 3: I think I think there's there's certainly public demand there, and I think it's growing. I think at this point you're seeing additional scrutiny and additional attention being paid to it. You know, it's interesting because I think that they're probably as I said, I think there probably are greater issues under the hood. We just don't know about them. And I really think that the podcast scandal is shining the light on the problem.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know again, my one prediction is once you actually see what's going on, my guess is there's there's there's going to be more issues that will come to life.
Speaker 2: Well, you have missed spending, malfeasons, and a sex scandal all lumped into the public sector that generally gets the public's attention, which in this case is a good thing. He's a president and c e O a Buck Guy Institute. Foundless for us and that would be Robert Old. Thanks again, Robert, have a great day, Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, anytime you get a syntax, and that's what this is. Yeah, there's there's less and less accountable. I think that's my politicians love syntaxes really was because well it's a syntax. So every time I have a sip of alcohol, you have a sip of bourbon or beer, whatever it is, you pay into this job's Ohio fund, and the money's being wasted and people look at it. Well, it's not, it's not it's this is a private thing. No, it's not. It's essentially a tax on me and you. It really is something. Anyway, we'll continue to follow this story. We've got a news update happening on this Friday morning, and then right after that, Austin Ullmore drops by weekend sports lots to talk about, from the Reds to the Bengals, losing a player that's been around for a while FC and of course the Masters and more. Just ahead seven hundred W all thebody, Scott's.
Speaker 8: Lunch, it sloaning and Austin seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: He is on ESPN fifteen thirty at noon with Team Pipe and we chop up all this all the sports this weekend. Austin, good morning, how are you, my friends? I'm great, Scott, how are you? I'm doing well, on a real ninth inning comeback in Miami set the stage because you're, hey, they're down to nothing, top of the ninth, they get up all of a sudden, boom you McClain, boom, double boom, boom, boom, because he looked like a cy young winner. They're pitching against and Rightley, So so Red's getting six runs like this, and you thought, I thought, here we go, they're gonna go on a run. It's gonna be double digit wind streak. They're unstoppable, because that was the thing, right they came from behind him. They lose two straight. How is that possible for the Reds? It just it defies the laws of sports.
Speaker 9: I mean, when you look at this this team so far, up until that game on Wednesday in Miami, they had played really clean baseball. They hadn't committed an error. They were doing just enough to find ways to win. And that was encouraging. But you wondered, okay, well, what happens when they go when they go down? Sure, what happens if a starter doesn't perform? Well, what happens if they start to fall apart a little bit defensively? And you saw that over the last two nights And honestly, you can make the argument that that Tuesday game you're referring to in which they did come back, that they were outplayed in that game by Miami as well up until the very end, and Miami kind of gave it to him. So it makes you wonder through the first two weeks of games, which team are they. Are they that team that can put together good pitching and good defense and five find ways to win, or are they more of the roller coaster that we've seen over the last couple of nights, which looks a little bit closer to the team we saw last season. And if so, which of those teams are we going to see more? And is that going to be enough to get back to the postseason? And the biggest issue still obviously remains the inability to score very much a lord.
Speaker 2: I mean, even before what happened Thursday, oh for ten, you know, the worst team in baseball rug out of this they can't score any runs, and yet they're still went again, They're still a half game back of Milwaukee. It's pitching in its defense, yeah, it is.
Speaker 9: It's pitching its defense. The schedule is certainly easy in this month of April, and they have a lot of opportunities. The Angels are playing pretty good coming into this weekend, but the Giants are struggling offensively. Minnesota has gutted their roster, Tampa's got some injuries. Detroit is supposed to be one of the best teams in the American League. They're off to a really bad start, and you've got Colorado coming in here. So there are opportunities for this team to get going and put some wins up on the schedule.
Speaker 2: But you mentioned it.
Speaker 9: They can't score or they can't hit with runners in scoring position, and they aren't putting it together a lot of productive outs right now, even when you know, can't move the guy over, can't get the sacrifice fly. That sort of stuff makes you wonder about their sustainability long term on.
Speaker 2: All because I don't think you can sustain this with the pitching. And keep in mind too, your ace and who knows what's going on. Nicolodolo at this point in their defense seems to be okay, but that's not a sustainable model for winning.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 9: I mean, it makes it, in one way a lot more impressive what they've been able to.
Speaker 2: Really don't take from that because of the.
Speaker 9: Pitching, especially what Louder and Burns and those guys have done. And they deserve a ton of credit. And I don't know that that who we saw the last couple nights is who the Reds are. I mean, even on Wednesday night when they lost that game seven to four, they had the tying run at the plate in the ninth inning, like they were within striking distance. Yesterday was really the only clunker. They've had two clunkers. It was the game against the Pirates before they left for Texas, and then this this game yesterday against Miami. Okay, so hopefully they played better at home.
Speaker 2: Really small sample size, at the extremely small sample, and five and two you don't have the best start since the nineteen ninety wire to wear him. Every's happy as I can say. And here we are bitching about it, and we I mean about it. I think there's something there. It's because you got to look at it. Going a bucks sixty eight with runners in scoring position is and that's dead last by fire and baseball. Will it work itself out? Is it a rouster or a roster construction problem? Is it just the minute these guys get anywhere in near gabp.
Speaker 9: I think there's a couple of ways to look at Like you'll never complain about a five and two road trip, and I'm not complaining about that now, But I'm wondering about their ability to put together a lot of five and two road trips if this is going to be their offensive issue. And if you think back to last year, through the first chunk of the season, they really could barely score at all. They had that one game in Baltimore they went for twenty four runs, right, and that kind of inflated the numbers. They had games of fourteen to twenty four and like eleven in the first two months of the season. But other than that, they were scoring two, one, zero three, And that's kind of what we've seen to this point.
Speaker 2: I think after the rain, yeah exactly.
Speaker 9: So I'm not The season is obviously not over, but I I just don't know offensively what the Who's going to be the person to step up? Like Sala Stewart's been awesome, Ellie has had a pretty good season both defensively and offensively. He maybe has been their most consistent player. It's just is that ever going to change. We saw those issues early last year and they were issues for the entire season. Can they flip that we've seen.
Speaker 2: This for twenty years I did for the most majority of GABP. This has been a problem. Yeah, we have.
Speaker 9: But I don't know that that history is all that important right now with this group of players and with this manager.
Speaker 2: You think like the ballpark was built on an ancient Indian burial ground or something. Is that what I'm not doing? We need to do a little curse thing because remember before the cut when the Cubs won the World Series? Is over, but it was a curse of the Billy gou Do we have a curse? I think he hit the ball. I thought the curse was over last year when Pete Rose died. Honestly, Nope, but I guess not eight. But that being said, we did get to the postseason. I don't know what it is which we hadn't done it. Yeah, yeah, maybe there's some levels too, and exorcism, I don't I have no But the idea this in this size ballpark, with the hitting talent that you have.
Speaker 9: Well that's the thing. There's not guys on the team that can hit the ball out of the ballpark. That's not a team that's built for power. Now those guys can't evolve into that. I think Matt McClain could be that guy. I think South Stewart is that guy. I think Ellie can be that guy. Hell Spencer Stears hit twenty homers each the last couple of years, so there is something to that. And obviously you bring in a u Haaneo Suarez who's still going to hit a lot of homers and has to this point. Also, by the ways, look pretty good hitting the ball the other way as well, So I see the vision. It's just the games aren't played on paper.
Speaker 2: Yeah there, and again you know we're not We're not diminishing. The successor as of half a half game back is phenomenal. We love it right now, streaming early still. But he seems to be a runaway favorite for Rookie of the Year in South Stuart. I mean he has been on a run, like you keep waiting for the cool off. Yeah, and he'll have spots really cool, but sure he just his defense has been great and in as bad as nothing short spectac and has hit the ball to all fields.
Speaker 9: He's homeward the opposite field, he's homeward pulling the ball, He's homeward in the gaps and defensively as a guy who really had not played much first base at all, has been pretty solid over there. And I love his attitude, Like you can tell that losing really really bothers him. It drives him nuts, and I think that can raise the level of play, especially for these guys who the rest of the guys on this team are young, but also they don't have that personality that necessarily necessarily matches that. And so when you lead through your attitude, I think that can have a trickle down effect on the rest of the club when they're like, yeah, man, this young dude's fired up, he's taking it serious, he's working his butt off, he's doing everything the team has asked him. That I think can be a positive thing. Plus, you bring in a veteran like au Haineo Suarez that can help study the ship like clubhouse. Wise, I think that's all a good thing and it does make me think, Okay, are they better positioned to sustain some of these issues with those guys in the clubhouse with a dude like south Stewart, who I think the best way to describe him is completely fearless. He is not afraid of any pitcher, he steps in the box against he's not afraid of anything that happens defensively. I think that attitude is important. And he's having fun and that's the other thing. It looks like he's having a good time out. Yeah, and again I think it says a lot about him that Terry Francona is like, yeah, I'm putting this rookie as a clean up hitter.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And there have been many situations I think Francona deserves a lot of credit. Where south Stewart's been the dude on bass and Auhinehosuarez has had the chance to drive him in, or Elie de la Cruz has been on base and salth Stewart has had the chance to drive him in. Those opportunities. Eventually, I feel like are going to the Reds, are gonna make the most of it.
Speaker 2: And you also have some you know, speaking of offense, you also have some room down in Louisville too. And that's the question is okay, well, if these pieces aren't working up, how soon does Tito go down and start calling guys up from down there.
Speaker 9: It's a good question. Re Signs continues to hit the ball really, really well. JJ Bledat has hit the ball really, really well, and you remember those guys were in a camp battle in in spring training to get to this level. I think something to keep an eye out on is TJ Friedel. TJ Friedel is not making a ton of contact. He did have a three hit game the other day, but he's there's a lot of swing and miss in his game right now, and that's an issue for your leadoff hitter. On top of that, he just looks a little bit slower out in center field, and so I wonder if we'll see more of TJ. Friedl in left field and maybe a little bit more of Dane Meers in center or Will Benson in center, and maybe Reese Hines in center down the road, especially because it doesn't feel like Nouelvie Marte is making a lot of progress right now. And I think it's a little bit unfair to Marte because he's a much better hitter against right handers. He has what we call reverse splits where he's not as good against lefties, but he is good against righty's, and he's kind of been platooning and only playing against lefties, so I think that works against him. But he still hasn't taken advantage of the opportunities he's been given. And so I wonder if the Reds continue to struggle offensively and Noelvie continue used to not offer much, if they'll say, okay, we're gonna flip re signs in Noelvie Marte, give Reese a chance to play center. By the way, one of the fastest dudes in the organization has vastly improved his defense, would be an immediate upgrade offensively and defensively over Noelvie Marte. In my opinion, I think that's something that could happen sooner rather than like.
Speaker 2: Which is why tomorrow it's Noelvie marblehood marble bobblehead marble Yes Marte bobblehead. Yeah, marblehead marblehead. Uh at Gradepark, does I want to get out of the way.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm glad they did it early, gonna it was gonna be July, Like, we need to move this one. It is a cool bibblehead. I mean, if you remember it was the catch last year that saved the season against the Pittsburgh Pirates. You know, Marte had a stretch last year where he was a beast and you know I was, I was drinking the kool aid on Noelvie Marte in the last month of the season. He was awful to the point where he was bench during the postseason. At one point was I thought the future of the number two spot in the batting order. I don't know what's going on, but I know he's chasing a lot of pitches outside the zone and he's not seeing a lot of pitches inside the zone. And I don't know if there's a patience there, a plate discipline issue there. But something's got to change for Marte in the batters, all right, So that's in tonight.
Speaker 2: Of course, we've got fireworks at GABP and you got Family Discount Day on Sunday, so all in the weather looks great, So all is right with the world. I will point this out too, that what do you make of the city connectors? I will say this. When I saw the quote unquote leak, I like, fact, I don't. I'm not a big fan of the sea. But then I saw it on when they when they put the Sizzle Reil out and I saw it on Ellie and I went, actually, I kind of like it. Now, Yeah, it looks good with the hat in the yeah in the.
Speaker 9: Jersey, and I remember when the leak came out, I was like, I got to see the whole thing before I make a judgment.
Speaker 2: I like the pin stripes.
Speaker 9: I've always been a big fan of the pin stripe cool and I actually really like the sea. I think that white version of that City Connect sea. I know some people say it looks like a strip of bacon or something. I get that, but I think it looks pretty sharp. I think it's cool. And I'm glad that they didn't like mix and match because we've seen that a lot in City Connect where the jersey and the pant pants are a dark color. I'm glad they didn't like stick with the black pants and they go all red. Reds haven't had red pants since I think nineteen thirty six. So I think it's cool. I think it'll look good at Great American Ballpark, and I'm glad that they kept it in the same theme. I was talking to some people from the Reds yesterday and they said that the Reds were by far the most successful when it comes to merchandise sales of any of the Major League teams with the City Connect and so to the Red's credit, they went to Nike and they said, hey, we want to keep it in the family. Here basically the same theme, but we would to add some elements and flip the colors, and they worked out really well. I think I think fans are gonna like that. Okay, cool, Yeah, it's fun. And I like the old black with the cincion. I think that's cool. And but they are keeping those. By the way, they're going to wear those on Friday night, So tonight they'll wear the all black, Tomorrow wear the all nights.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And they've got the genius of water patch too. Yeah, that is me. So Friday night is the black. Saturday home games is the all Red?
Speaker 2: All right? Trevino to the I L for a while, three letters C E S, three more letters d FA. Yeah. So yeah, let's switch the Bengals book. A cam Sample is no longer a Bengal.
Speaker 9: Cam Sample, who was one of their better run defenders over the last couple of years, still left a lot to be desired as a pass rusher, had a season ending injury of the year before, but overall solid player and one of those last players left from that Super Bowl team a few years ago. Signs a one year deal with the San Francisco forty nine ers. I think it's all part of the plan that the Bengals are gonna keep going towards ed rushers in the draft.
Speaker 2: Speaking of limping FC Cincinnati, we're not used to seeing two and four this time. There grant a lot of soccer slash football left to play. Naymar is this guy's name them it's n e y, so it's men and should be n A Y spells it wrong name anyway, Nemar.
Speaker 9: He's only one of the most popular players in the history of soccer. He's like thirty four globally, one of the most popular. If there was a point in time where it was like Messi, Ronaldo and Naymo. I talked with a source yesterday about Neymar. They told me he's playing in Brazil. He's hurt every single game, every other game. His ankles are completely gone. His ACL was torn two years ago. But he would sell a lot of jerseys. And I said, that's what I said. I said, I hope that's not how f C Cincinnati is operating. And he's also an offensive player. And I don't know if you've looked at the scores lately, but they can't stop people from scoring goals, So I reserve judgment because I have no idea. Like the roster at the beginning of the year compared to the end of the year for f C Cincinnati is always very different, and they've done a good job of conforming and adapting over the course of the season. So maybe they have a vision and potentially neymar is a part of that. That is something that I don't yet understand, but it would be an exciting moment for a globally popular player like him to come here.
Speaker 2: Okay, bar the lead for a lot of people, but it's the Masters, Yes, a tradition unlike any other, and I think you go back to two thousand and one Tiger did it and defended back to backs and we haven't had a true pure something like that. Could Rory do that because he came out and shot a sixty seven? Yeah, I thought it was interesting.
Speaker 9: Yesterday Fred Couples said that he told his caddie on the twelfth hole yesterday, Rory might never lose this thing again now that he's won it once and got that monkey off of his back. And Rory kind of talked about that yesterday as well as like like I felt like I could take a breath.
Speaker 2: I felt so much more relaxed.
Speaker 9: And then when I got on the first t I felt the nervousness that I always felt, and so that made him feel good that like, yes, I'm in such a better place, but I still have that fire within me to win this tournament. And listen, the Masters for the returning champion is there's a lot. I mean, you're pulling a lot of different directions on there. He's been there for eight or nine days, like working on stuff. So hopefully I like Rory. I'm a big Rory guy, and I would love to see him go back to back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll tell you. And the thing about the Masters real quick, I know we got to go, is it's just such a fun event. I know the waste management is the one for the fans, but that Power three where the kids are playing and Kevin Hart is shorter than most of the kids that we're playing, is catting for Scotty and let him hit the ball.
Speaker 9: It's just such a fun thing. Yeah, I disagree with you one hundred percent. I don't like Kevin Hart. I don't want Jason Kelsey. I don't want those dudes anywhere near the Masters tournament. I like the mystique of it. I like the kind of like the exclusivity, Like, yeah, the kids and stuff is fun.
Speaker 2: I don't need to see Jason Kelsey and Kevin Hart. Okay, fair enough, I get that that does appeal to somebody. Well, that's plus it's a power three. They don't care. Yeah, and taking a potter and ship or something for Scotty. He's hostin almor today at noon with Pike. What do you got.
Speaker 9: Well, we're gonna be doing our check ins with mo Egger across the street at Rally House. Mo Is I thought he's only about allowed to be at Holy Grail and Smoke. Just mo is going to be giving away some gift cards to Rally House, So maybe you could go gear up with the new across literally right across the street, some new Red City connect here.
Speaker 2: Maybe you could gear up there.
Speaker 9: We'll talk to him if Charlie Goldsmith will help make sense of what the Reds did the last couple of days, and we'll talk to Tommy g about that neymar rumor in FC Cincinnati, and we'll do Master's updates throughout the day as well.
Speaker 2: Perfect, got a sports minded and.
Speaker 9: By the way, Scott, tonight I will be hosting the Inside Pitch what right here on seven hundred WLW on Sunday, I've got the Extra Inning Show right here on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: I understand and playing the Angels of Anaheim. Yes, that's correct, Okay, I got it. So you'll often as you covered there, He's got you covered. Here, we got you covered. This is the home of the Red seven hundred WW Sincent.
Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American? You got it?
Speaker 2: You got a laugh whatever might be more than half of Americas. Maybe you if you have a laptime you ran in the mailware last year, we're in. Here's the frightening part about that. A number of people, maybe even you, did absolutely nothing about it. Pretty scary. Dasha Milde this year she is that c NETS consumer Insights editor joins the show once again, Miss Dasha. How are you?
Speaker 10: I'm good? How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fine because I think I don't have malware in my laptop, but I something like eight out of ten adults have a laptop, not personal laptop, but that is the primary target for cyber criminals. More. You know, we used to be PC, a desktop based system, and now ourn's got a laptop. But fifty four percent, and you study, fifty four percent of laptop owners say they have encountered malware in the past year. And how many people said, I don't really care, I'm not going to try any think about it. That's the frightening part.
Speaker 10: Yeah, twelve percent did nothing when coming to cross malware over the past twelve months, and that can actually be a really scary thought thinking about how easily malware can creep onto our computers and what happens if you don't take any action.
Speaker 2: I guess the question would be, you know why it is out there? How do you know you have malware in your laptop? I guess would be The big thing is it is the fact that Okay, fifty four percent have it. They didn't you just you don't know what it is.
Speaker 10: Yeah, malware can be very sneaky, So we have to look at it from just even app downloads to clicking links that seem very credible from sources that we may even trust. Sometimes it's even just looking as simple as it's noticing maybe small glitches on your computer, maybe there's software that you didn't download that suddenly one day just happens to appear. So it really does come down to some of those bigger, more obvious things like noticing your computer doing things that it usually doesn't. But sometimes malware can be on your computer and you might not even realize it, so you really have to be very careful consider running even a malware scan seeing if malware is on your computer. But just keeping in mind also that a lot of these devices nowadays actually have antivirus software in those measures built into them, so you don't really need to take any additional action when it comes to antivirus software. It's really about behavioral and really thinking and watching out those red flags.
Speaker 2: Do most providers. Internet service providers have it already in part of their infrastructure. I know on my mode and my messh system at my house, I have it on the Wi Fi right itself.
Speaker 1: Is that enough?
Speaker 10: I would say that in some instances that might seem like enough. What we really have to think about it is is that the device level, So Windows devices usually have Windows Defender, and then mass devices usually have ex Protect as well as a number of other security measures. So you may be able to find it through your Internet service provider. You may also be able to find it through your desktop or excuse me, your laptop. Even so, it's really seeing what options you have, and if you're ever curious, call your INNT service provider and see what option they actually do have available and what the features actually are. Some oftentimes that we've found is that there's the ones that are on your device. Those security measures, those anti virus measures are usually enough. What we have to start looking at are all of those other things that happen outside of viruses, malware, phishing, the terms and what the result of those may be. So thinking about your identity or your data actually being stolen, or even thinking about your password being compromised. Right, so mpivirus software is are going to quite protect you from those things. So while you already have step one, you have to look at steps two, three, and four while you're at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God, so that's the worst case scenario. It's not my data, my information, all my personal data that's on my laft. If I do banking on my laptop, I would assume that all that is compromised.
Speaker 10: You should definitely make sure that if you do have a device that is infected with malware, make sure that you change your passwords. Also want to double check that you have by data STEFF protection in place, so that if you do actually have your information compromised, you can get that alert sooner rather than later and hopefully take action to reduce the risk of it actually growing getting further. Right, So I would say that making sure that if you do happen to have malware or you notice something think is off, disconnecting it from your Wi Fi. I almost put it in like its own little standbox, right, making sure that you have connected it to connected that device only to its only guest network, separate from everything else, so that you can take the steps that you need to. And that's where Windows Defender and other anti virus software programs can actually walk you through those steps. And those steps may vary, and see it does have a lot of really great coverage to help you walk through those steps, what type of viruses to look for, but on top of that just other red flags to keep in mind. So we often look for like the software, which is but it's really more to us than that, and our experts really dive into that on our side A good bit.
Speaker 2: Dasha Milden from Seeing At she's a consumer insights editor more than half of Americans have laptops now, and those majority of run into malware last year, and a disturbing number a growing number of people did nothing about it. That's what we're talking about this morning. I think this is even more relevant today, Dasha, because of the threat that a RAN post is to us, and we know that they have penetrated our digital infrastructure. We know that they are lurking in the background, and the latest alert involves them actually inside our infrastructure like water and electric rids and things like the hospitals for example. So the Striker attack not too long ago that they are actively involved in this. We don't know when they're going to launch something they're probing I guess as we speak. But you hear that and go, okay, well, that's a government system. I can't control that. I can only control my little laptop here. How big of concern are those hacks that the rangers are putting out to the average person listening right now?
Speaker 10: So I think we should be concerned about any hack. I think we should really be very concerned about even just thinking about AI. Right the development of AI really making it easy to actually create hacks and fishing distemps and things.
Speaker 3: Of that sort.
Speaker 10: So regardless of the malware attempt or the hack, or the phishing email or even the unusual payment request that some people are seeing, even pop ups, we really have to think about what are the steps that we can tack right now before anything happens in any scenario, And that's where we really start to have to look into cybersecurity being a multi step approach. Seeing what options you currently have. Is your antivirus enough? Do you have antivirus on all of your computers, even going back to seeing if you have a device at every.
Speaker 3: Ten years old, you might want to double check.
Speaker 10: If that antivirus software is up to date right, or even just looking at a lot of these other options that I talked about earlier, just making sure that those things are in place, so regardless of whatever happened, you can be aware a lot sooner and hopefully take action that con mitigate whatever it is that has crept onto your computer and could kind of derail your life a little bit in a way that your data could be compromised, your passwords may be at risk, things of that sort, and malware attempts can be very sneaky. We also have to look for them on our mobile devices too, and just seeing what other security measures are available there.
Speaker 2: The top source is far as being exposed to mal where you get it from. You can mend many things, but typically it's gonna be a phishing email. I think that's the number one threat right there. And I've received we've all received our shares, you know, a toll for a road I've never driven on, some sort of court order. Is the new one going around where they misspelled the word Ohio And we've seen really bad ones. But how much more is AI starting to take over and writing that to make it a little more realistic? And if that's true, that's the scary part because we kind of rely on them sending it for some janky email address or some I don't know, some area code you don't recognize, not always from an official. If I got something from Verizon, for example, I'd pay more attention to it, said Verizon and gave me a five digit number as to where the text came from, versus some eight six seven number that I have no idea what it is, or some Yahoo dot Yahoo account that we typically get the alert is to that does a scam and it's malware and it's fishing with AI involved in that, Now, how does that change a landscape?
Speaker 10: AI can be very sneaky and make a lot of these attempts a lot more believable. So while we might usually look for typos, or we might even be thinking about some of the usual red flags, like the fishy looking links, things of that sort, AI is making things a lot more believable, even when we think about cloning our voices, when we think about the way that we actually write out some of the things that we're seeing online. Let's say that your bank is actually sending you a message that can also seem like it came from your bank, but it can also actually be AI without typos and even with the same naming right. So we have to be very very careful and if in those situations where we're not certain, calling your bank, calling whoever it is that you need to to verify. I actually did this with my brother last night, got a very odd email and I called him and said, Hey, this is this AUG just to you, and he's like, no, that's definitely a scarce. And so it's just taking that extra step before you click that link or before you download, because even just clicking that link can lead to it being a very dangerous attempt at dealing your information. So what's the really good part about the survey that we're seeing and experts are actually really happy about, is that the majority of laptop players took action, and one of the most common ways that they took action was actually deleting or closing the window and just deleting the file.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 3: And what we have to think about is that that doing that.
Speaker 10: Without clicking the link, without being curious, right, So just getting rid of it right away, that could be one way to help you just stop that malware attimpt in its act. That is one attempt, but we have to keep in mind that can't be curious and click links and do anything of that sort. Take another communication as it, make that phone call, make sure that it's legit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that basically dashon miltons I'm seen. It is multi factor authentication, right, it's MFA instead of like an inbound thing where hey, they text your cell number and here's the code and you enter it and we all you know, another layer. I got to do it, but it really really thinks makes things more secure. That's kind of like a human way of doing it. As calling the person and saying, hey, do you really need money as opposed to just clicking a link. It sounds like you're kind of describing pop ups there, a pop up still a thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have to think about that.
Speaker 10: Pop ups are still a thing we usually see, like that, we have pop up blackers on our computers.
Speaker 3: You may have those enabled on your laptop right.
Speaker 10: Sometimes it can sneak past and that's something that we have to be a little more cautious about. Or you may notice that you're seeing pop ups because maybe that setting was actually triggered off. So that's something that you also might want to go back and check, just doing some of those behavioral checks, looking at seeing are your firewalls set up right? Is your pop up blacker on? Are all of your emails are spam? Are they going to your spam folder? Are you flagging them by spam? So it really is that, yes, people are seeing these things, but we have to remember that we do have other measures and features that we can use to actually make these things a little less noticeable, but still using guard due diligence of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the survey you talked about different ways people are getting malware in your computer at least getting access to your data. Phishing emails number one or pop ups are still a thing. There's another one called branded spoofing, and I've seen these before. It looks realistic and they're hoping you do business with. You know, for example, if I get something from a bank that I'm not banking with, I know that that that is false. But if I get something that happened to be someone I'm banking, but I pay that more attention than oh it's got their logo on it must be okay. Branded spoofing is really really dangerous.
Speaker 10: Yes, absolutely, even thinking about some of our everyday experiences, right, something as simple as a package, we left a package for you. That's one that I saw a lot of the holidays. Just making sure that you fill out your information so that the package can be delivered, that's right. And even just looking at other attempts are data, So thinking about this whole lane. That's another one that we see here. Even just emails for job applications and jobs you might be interested in from companies that actually are onesday, actually might suit your profile, right, So just making sure that you take a very very very close look in these cases, like think to yourself have I visited as hotly lately?
Speaker 3: Did I deliver?
Speaker 10: Am I actually looking for a package? Just all of these things, just really stopping in the act and thinking. And you can always get the information and write it down, delete it or close the file and then make sure that you just follow up and you might that that actually can really help you. When it comes to these fishing attempts malware, you have to be very mindful because they can sneak through even just a simple app download. But we have to be very very mindful and look at our devices that we spend so much time on and say it's something off here, and making sure that nothing slips through the crack.
Speaker 2: We've all done it where you're just going through email, going to the lead to save open right, and you might click on a go okay, that's real. In the minute you click, of course, that's when the BS meter goes off in your head go no, no, no, no, no, that is it. If I click that link and let's say it is malware and I go, man, I quickly on, you know, block it out or just simply exit out, close to close the window. Is it ready too late?
Speaker 4: We really don't know.
Speaker 10: Malware comes in many different forms. So in some cases maybe yes. In some cases honestly maybe no. In that particular case, here's what I recommend. Do a malware scan on your computer. Take the step as though malware has already gotten onto your computer. Definitely taking the second look. I'm disconnecting it from your WiFi so that other devices could potentially not be infected with the potential malware. Right, so really just looking at it as doing that viral can to see how far has this gone, doing several just to make sure that again nothing slipped through the cracks. We really have to think of it as taking every single step possible, because some things really can get very deep down into your computer that you might not realize, or that even that your anti virus software may not catch, or another malware scam may not catch. So it's very very sneaky.
Speaker 3: This isn't a.
Speaker 10: Way to make sure that we like panic or go and like do all of these extra steps, but we definitely want to make sure that if you have to that link run a o worre scam, just making sure that you go through take that extra step just in case.
Speaker 3: Got it.
Speaker 2: Finally, HP Apple, I believe are the two big laptop manufacturers right now and both have some level of built in security. Is that a false sense of security? And does it make things worse? And then secondly, is there something free you can download at c net that would just kind of make sure I don't have anything on there.
Speaker 10: So with HP and Mac or excuse me, Apple, we do have to think that, yes, the anti virus software protection is already built in, and it actually is pretty good based on Seena experts, you really don't need anything additional when it comes to anti virus software. However, if you would like to download something that is, let's say, has additional features like parental controls or things of that sort, it is maybe worth looking into an additional anti virus software given that your built in protection isn't enough or you feel like you need an additional feature. Besides that, I was just saying my mom who just got a new computer. You don't need newly anti virus software. What you have and built into your computer. Just double check that it's there, maybe in your settings. But the other things that I'll say is this, if you are looking at getting some additional software, or even just looking at what maldware stands, should I actually use or thinking about some of these other tools. Seeing that does have a lot of great information based on our experts who have tested a lot of these tools to see what's the best, budget friendly, which one actually works best for these devices? Which one should you actually maybe if you have a larger family, you're depending on what you're doing, such as gaming, or maybe you spend a lot of time browsing on the web. There are free options, but there are also other paid Impire virus options along with other tools such as password managers, VP and things of that sort that we talked about earlier on the call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've gotcha. I know this is probably a separate conversation and maybe this is the follow up to your piece and seeing at Dasha, But what about our phones? Do I need that for my phone.
Speaker 10: Right now? As what we have to think about it is is that some of these time security protections are indeed built into our phones. In most cases, especially some of the later phones. We have to think about those operating system updates that we often get saying, hey, you want to make sure that you download the Limbit software. A lot of that is because some of those security and privacy updates are often times built into those updates, right, but we still have to use the famdy dilligions that we would on our laptops as we would our tablets and our phone.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, all right? Good stuff to know. Dashaon Milton at c at the Consumer Insights Editor. She's our digital friend that pops on the showery once a while. Let's scares the crap out of us, is what she does. And now you know four or four warned is forearmed. Absolutely so some good advice. I appreciate you, thank you for having me. What has happened in this weekend, in particular old Rain. I think moving in later today. But the rest of the weekend looks pretty damn good, So get and enjoyed it with to eat, see, do, drink and whatever else. Ali Martin, The Local Loop is next seven hundred WLW Scott's Loanshaw.
Speaker 5: The weekend's coming young and you need to make the most of it. Where to go and what to do. She has the tips and insight to help you make it a super weekend. So listen up. This is the Local Loop with Allie Martin on seven hundred W L Jebbi.
Speaker 2: A very serious today, on a very special local Loop, we dressed serious issues. No, we really don't. We talk about liquor and fun and things like that.
Speaker 11: Good morning morning, I agree.
Speaker 12: I see the Masters on here in the background. Is this a big weekend for you or are you really dialed in?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watch a good portion of it, but I'd rather be out golf. I'm more like you know, I like watching sports, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather I've been doing it than watching it. But it's the Masters, and you gotta watch the Masters.
Speaker 11: Have you ever gone to a golf tournament?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I've been to a few, and it's absolutely fast. And the first one I was at was during cod well right after COVID and so it was very sparsely attended. That was in Charlotte and it was amazing. But I've been to obviously Columbus or a jack thing. I've been. I've been to a few, so it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 12: I mean, you know me, all of a sudden, I went on this golf kick in the summertime.
Speaker 2: No, and I too.
Speaker 11: I went up to the one in Columbus.
Speaker 12: And if you have, if you as in the listener, if you've never and you like golf and you've never been to a tournament.
Speaker 5: It's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just walk around and get exercise. You know, you get fairly close to the players, and yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean I don't.
Speaker 12: I'm kind of the same way with tennis though, right I played girl playing tennis. I love tennis, but I don't necessarily always watch it. However, when the atp rolls around you know where in.
Speaker 2: Person, there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 11: Tennis and hunker down, watch some watch some golf. This weekend is on the to do list?
Speaker 2: What do you got going on this weekend? What are we talking about?
Speaker 11: Okay?
Speaker 12: All right, So after years of market research, and you know me, I'm a whiskey gal, you are, I talk about this all the time, a whiskey gal. I appreciate a really good cocktail and I love hospitality. After years of market research, I have finally honed it, honed down the best old fashions in Cincinnati and northern Kentucky and really focusing in on cocktail bars because there are a lot of bad old fashions in the I have a full list of criteria as to what makes a good.
Speaker 2: Old that one may ask, why are you going with the because old fashions to me, and bourbon drinks generally tend to be and I know it's not true, but tend to be. People think a little bit more fall in winter than spring, and no.
Speaker 11: This isn't all year round thing for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a bourbon person.
Speaker 11: So should should I? Should we put this on hold and wait till because.
Speaker 2: With the Masters, I think you want to be talking about minjus.
Speaker 11: Know that's next week, that's.
Speaker 2: We should be talking about it. And cheese martini? Is that you should?
Speaker 12: Which is a horrible, horrible life decision.
Speaker 11: There's never a moment where I'm like, you know, what I want is a pimento cheese?
Speaker 10: Is there?
Speaker 2: I see again, I've been golfing for like ten years now, but is there a Master's drink? There should be?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 2: I think there is actually no idea what that I know though I don't know.
Speaker 12: I'm trying to google transfusion masters golf cocktail?
Speaker 2: Okay, right? Is the official? What's the official cocktail?
Speaker 11: Want spell cocktail right first? To get it? If you had to take a guess, what do you think? Or if you had to come up with.
Speaker 3: One, what do you think it would?
Speaker 2: Georgia, I don't know a peach ballini.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 12: What the azalia and azalea azalea? So which vodka, lemonade grenadine. So it's basically an adult Shirley Temple with a little bit of lemonade daily. There's no tea John daily with tea, So this is vodka lemonade grenadine.
Speaker 11: Sounds very refreshing and the grenadine just for colored.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: To me, honestly, it reminds me more of a Shirley. You need some soda and.
Speaker 2: That's pretty basic.
Speaker 11: That's so sweet lemonade in grenadine.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know. You think you have a drink like Masters has everything else.
Speaker 11: Okay, this then gets me back.
Speaker 2: And cheese all of stuff to all of sudden something right, I don't know.
Speaker 11: Martini sounds like it should be because it end we need to change this.
Speaker 2: Official drink. Okay, let's talk about old fashioned, not this. And this is why this is why we never get everything done we want to talk about, because we go to a rabbit hole.
Speaker 12: This is because we're changing everybody else's way of business. And this is why I continue to talk about the old fashion because it's the staple cocktail of life.
Speaker 11: Right, we're not talking.
Speaker 2: You got your food pyramid and at the top is really it's a cherry.
Speaker 11: It is one hundred proof whiskey. And let me tell you, let me let me break down the crater.
Speaker 7: Driving.
Speaker 11: Number one, because of what we just talked about.
Speaker 12: Not too sweet for some reason, so many places make old fashions as a sugar bottom.
Speaker 11: We're not having it.
Speaker 12: A And also, you got to make a housemade syrup. It's preferred, but also use it sparingly. Number two thoughtful whiskey choice. Ideally, it needs to be one hundred proof. It's gotta get it's gotta have some backbone. Once you get to the eighty proof. I'm like to offset the facts facts.
Speaker 11: The whiskey is the star. Choose accordingly.
Speaker 12: Uh, for the love of God, do not muddle an orange in your old fashion and put a really good, high quality cherry in there. My the cherry should not be as vibrant as the ESPN should look like the red red like the new Jerseys. No, a luxado cherry.
Speaker 2: Very nice, that's more of that. You got a dark, deep, dark teeth flavor. The syrup is a little I like to put a little splash of the syrup in.
Speaker 12: The sometimes that could just be your simple syrup. Number four high quality ice. Why this is important is because you need to keep the integrity of the flavor and it melts slower.
Speaker 11: So if you can get that really good crystal clear.
Speaker 12: Ice to that. Number five glassware and presentation. I appreciate really good glassware. It's just it's the ambiance.
Speaker 2: It's it's everything what you're looking for, Like Waterford, when you say.
Speaker 12: Something a little different, it's gotta have a little pizzazz I. Don't you know those big, big, heavy highball glasses that you could totally it could be a weapon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm you want a nice thing.
Speaker 12: Something because it's a classic impress me, wow me, which then leads me to number six. The vibe of the of the tablishment matters. And that's why this is a very important list because all of these places have vibe.
Speaker 11: They have they check the boxes in some way.
Speaker 2: Do you think maybe this is why you're still single?
Speaker 1: Am I.
Speaker 3: Pressure?
Speaker 2: I have a boyfriend, she's breaking it down by glass or there's he has Brendany has so much pressure on him. Does this man know?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 11: No, no, this is why we work because he's a whiskey guy.
Speaker 12: So he appreciates, he appreciates my opinion, and he's a lot of pressure.
Speaker 11: It's called standards.
Speaker 2: It's got to be between the suite and you should.
Speaker 11: It's called hospitality, and it's called setting the bar high.
Speaker 2: You know what I just need by the time I'm ready for a drink. I'm ready for a drink. You know, watching them see too but it all.
Speaker 11: Okay, all right, Well, let's let's land the plane.
Speaker 2: The guy with the neck beard in the in the denim apron and he's got the ironic heat. Yeah, he's lighting stuff. He's got a beaker and he's swirling it around. And yes, landing the plane.
Speaker 12: Give me the alcohol, and you know how long you're actually supposed to stir old.
Speaker 2: Fashion mighty, let's go.
Speaker 12: I'm thirsty three minutes later, Oh lord, pour it into the glass. And here are my top five places. Number one the aquifer at the New Riff. It's their tasting room, third floor. We've talked about it. When that sun shines in during happy hour, it is chef kiss.
Speaker 2: It's God's flashlight.
Speaker 12: It has got and you could probably film your Christmas card. Get your Christmas card.
Speaker 1: Floor there.
Speaker 11: Number two smoke.
Speaker 2: Justice really that Oh yeah, okay, that's a big bourbon barbecue whiskey library.
Speaker 11: When you have a ladder and you have to get out, you get a whiskey.
Speaker 2: You know, never leaves there. I know, only to go to the grail. Those are the two places you can find it.
Speaker 12: Don't get old Fashion. We love grail, but that's that's not it. Lost and found ot R.
Speaker 11: It's in an alleyway and over the right. Yeah, if you're not looking for it. There's a little neon sign. That's that's it out front.
Speaker 12: And actually I have to admit I think this might be my top Old Fashion on the list in this moment because they's a clear glassware and the ice is clear.
Speaker 11: It's wild, it's good.
Speaker 12: And they use old granddad bottled and bond hand proof all right, so it's a good one.
Speaker 7: Huh.
Speaker 11: Wise guy lounge ogr Oh.
Speaker 2: I love I love Wise because you go down, you get slice of pizza, and then you go and go drink, and then you go down and get another slice and you go back up.
Speaker 11: Old fashion and pizza.
Speaker 2: I don't know something about it.
Speaker 11: With the garlic bread and the garlic.
Speaker 2: I'm rather to go right now, just let me bring you, just let me know.
Speaker 11: And it's cheap, it's affordable.
Speaker 12: Last One Knowledge Bar in Covington. I talk about the spot a lot, but they also just get it right. They do use two different spirits, so they have a little bit of a twist with theirs.
Speaker 11: And those are my friends that this is a lot of.
Speaker 2: Market research and she is an old fashioned snob.
Speaker 11: Check out my video. I'm proud of it. It's on social media.
Speaker 12: It gives a full load on if you also want to check out these.
Speaker 2: I've been leaning. I was a Manhattan guy and now I'm kind of leaning more towards the old fashion. But when I do a Manhattan I put a little splash of like Ammoraretto or.
Speaker 11: Like that Amreto. Always.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing is, the old fashion, Billie isn't actually bad and like an orange lookur which could be good too, yes, but not.
Speaker 11: A muddled orange.
Speaker 12: And the beauty behind old fashions is you really could tweak it however you want. Technically, you could switch out your spirit. You could do a tequila old fashion for the Masters if.
Speaker 2: You wanted to don tequila.
Speaker 11: And so it's a martini with the stuff.
Speaker 2: Maybe the Southwest I guess it would be all right, so we have exhausted the old fashioned topic. Yes, of course, event wise, what's going on this weekend?
Speaker 12: Okay, this is actually a really fun one. I don't know how in the socials you are, but it has kind of become viral where men and young men who might have daughters are learning to braid hair.
Speaker 11: Which I think is a very good skill. Sure, there's just if you're a girl dad, girl dad, Yeah, your a girl dad.
Speaker 2: This is great so that I did my daughters. I've done that.
Speaker 12: It's not hard, no, it's not, but just taking the time to learn it is cool. And Ryan Geist is running with this trend, which I think is awesome. And they have two nights. It's Friday and Saturday and tonight it is actually sold out, but tomorrow as well, and they're doing a thing just braids and bruise And it's a two hour hands on event where you're drinking beer and you're learning the basics of honestly just like braids and buns and ponytails. And it's you're just gonna be hanging out with probably a lot of other dads too, and learning the skill and you get to drink beer at the same time and connect with other people who might be experiencing the same thing, might be in the same stage of life.
Speaker 2: Now, is this white dad hair or black there? Because that's a whole different level.
Speaker 11: That's actually a very good question.
Speaker 2: It is a good question.
Speaker 12: Does not in their rundown, it does not say my guess is knowing Ryan Geist, they probably have a wide range of different hair textures and stuff, so they're gonna have a whole bunch of different mannequins and supplies.
Speaker 7: And but you are.
Speaker 2: A whole different level.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, keeping it moist texture is totally different the whole thing.
Speaker 11: Mm hmmmm hmmm.
Speaker 12: And props to all girl dads out there who are trying to fa holding down the fort. So if that interests you and it's something that you have also seen on social because it has been trending.
Speaker 11: Ryan Geist is doing this Braids and bruise.
Speaker 12: They still have tickets available for tomorrow Saturday from six d eight's just two hours and uh yeah, it's time.
Speaker 11: There's a couple of ti couple participants.
Speaker 2: Dad goes and you know, and your hands on your braid and your girl's hair and you're both are drunk. It's great.
Speaker 11: On a good old fashioned Dad.
Speaker 2: My hair is doing a terrible I don't at right hair. Just have a beer.
Speaker 11: It looks a little loteside, it's fine, it looks really good.
Speaker 2: This is where you just throw it up at You're gonna have to drive home. I thought you're the designator, Dad, I'm seven. You need to learn I'm seven, but I'm seven. Okay, there you go. So that's two nights at rhine Geist. That's fun.
Speaker 12: Yeah, just I thought that was really fun and something different in mys and uh yeah, all right, hang out with bucks perhaps nothing right, pretty much good time.
Speaker 2: Pretty much free, pretty much free. Let's talk.
Speaker 12: Well, so okay, so we're actually gonna go over to the west side, so the East Price Hill Incline District.
Speaker 11: So do you remember some wine bar?
Speaker 2: Yes? I remember, yeah, so that was there, but I remember you mentioning it. Yes, yeah.
Speaker 12: Stable to the community for years and years, and it closed in March of twenty twenty five. But now there's a new spot that's taking over that same location called Around the Table. For a little bit of context, there's a scal by. The founder is Julie Dowdy, and she had been in o'brienville for a long time, okay, with running a business called The Art of Entertaining, and she would do interactive cooking classes and all of all of the things in hospitality. And she decided to piece all of this together and find a new brick and mortar which is in that same spot again. It's called Around the Table, and tonight is one of the first events that she's putting on, and it's called Vine and Dine and it's a night owl blues band, but it's a dinner jazz, New Orleans jazz. You know me, jazz and dinner jazz and cocktails.
Speaker 11: Here we are, uh.
Speaker 12: And tonight's the night that they're launching it. And it's gonna be from five thirty to nine thirty and live music from.
Speaker 11: Six to nine. They're bringing in a New Orleans French quarter vibe band.
Speaker 12: It's gonna be creole food, shared tables, just really relaxed pacing. So that's what she wants to bring to the table is a different type of dining experience, kind of like deconstructing love it what the normal cliche restaurant vibe is.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 11: And this is the start of it all, and you know, moving forward.
Speaker 12: She wants to do different styles of Sunday brunch and more shared charcouterie type events.
Speaker 11: And I'm sure continuing to bring in different.
Speaker 2: And you had me at the you know, live jazz bluespecially blues.
Speaker 1: We gotta do that.
Speaker 11: Will you talk about I know, I know, Michelle.
Speaker 2: Let's go, I won't have fun. No, she lost shell.
Speaker 12: Oh my gosh, she's a perfect Tank's awesome.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we had like maybe fifteen seconds here. I know you wanted to plug the zoo. Zoo blooms.
Speaker 12: I know, because we only have so much time, and it's throughout the month that you.
Speaker 2: Talked about so much.
Speaker 12: I know, zoo blooms, and we were ranked number three best flower festival in America.
Speaker 11: So at the Cincinnati Zoo. So get on it. If you've never seen weather looks perfect.
Speaker 12: All of the two they have over one hundred thousand tulips, so then it's and then add all the other flowers on top of it. It's millions of flowers and it's truly a psight to see. And this is the time where just everything comes to blossom and the animals, you know, it's like they're starting to come out of their little little caves and then on Thursdays they do tunes and blooms and this is just yeah, it's fun six to eight thirty. It's a different band and a different act every single Thursday, and it's your chance to just kind of launch into the zoo.
Speaker 2: Love it, get you some, get you some zero tech and Kleenex. If you're a lerning, well that's the whole. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Suda fed is your sponsor for Allie Martin and the local Loop here on seven hundred w o W. Follow her at Allie Martin, the Number eight and the Good Drama over on YouTube and uh she jumps in Friday mornings. Thanks again, appreciate, have a great weekend, make it the best ever. This is the home of the Red seven hundred w WT, Cincinnati,