Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: All Right, the Dodgers and Red Sox have a long lineage and intersections over the course of the last twenty five years, and there's another one at Dodgers Stadium. Jim Tracy, former Dodgers manager in the early two thousands, has a son now managing the Red Sox. And I know on the East Coast they believe that everything starts and ends over there, but this guy right here is a proud Pepperdine wave. Not many on the East Coast know that this guy right here won the WCC Player of the Year while living the good life out there in Malibu and going to the Malibu in and having a great time. Chad Tracy is our guest. Thanks a lot for the time and great to have you back at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: That's cool to be back, David, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: So what was when is the last time you were here? I'm just curious. You've been grinding, so I'm wondering when was the last time you came here.
Speaker 1: To be honest with you, I was thinking standing out here during BPSJ try to think of when was the last time I was at a game here, and I truly think it was probably when my dad was here. It's probably been twenty years since I've been to a game here, unless I'm missing one in there somewhere. But it's been a really long time and really cool to come back and see the stadium.
Speaker 2: They obviously have done some renovations to the ballpark, but it feels like they've kept the integrity. Have you noticed the changes?
Speaker 3: Definitely see the changes, for sure. It doesn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the integrity part feels the same when you like stand out and center and look around.
Speaker 3: And see it. It doesn't.
Speaker 1: They didn't mess with any of what makes it so great, which is cool. And I know there's additions and things that I've seen around that make it modernized in some way, But when you look at the stadium itself, it's just as cool as it always was.
Speaker 2: When your dad was managing. You were in high school.
Speaker 3: And college, Yeah, a combination of the two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what do you remember the most being around a big league clubhouse when you were in high school in college?
Speaker 3: That was the cool part about it.
Speaker 1: I was old enough to like be here, come here, and like hang out here and take VP, and I remember catching, you know, Ganye and Mota would throw bullpens. I'd help out the bullpen catchers and catch pins because I was obviously a catcher. I was kind of when I would come in, I'd kind of just immerse myself and stuff that was going on because I was old enough to do it, you know, So.
Speaker 3: It was it was obviously it's Dodger Stadium. It's really cool. But I was old enough to remember all of it.
Speaker 1: I was old enough to like engage with the guys and the players and take ground balls and just do different stuff, and it was just a really really cool, cool chapter in my life.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: I actually do remember you coming to the ballpark and lugging that big Pepperdine catchers back around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was, I was doing it. I was probably doing it a bit less. So once I was the first cup I see one, two, and three, I was still in high school, which was way easier to get over here and spend time with her. Once I got to Pepper nine, and like the requirements of baseball in college and stuff like, I was probably doing it less. So at that point still fell over some. But like the high school years, for sure, I was here quite a bit.
Speaker 2: So I've heard a lot about you and your brothers when you guys were growing up and your dad was managing here, So maybe you could set the record straight on a couple of things. The Beat writers that covered your dad said he used to refer to you and your brothers as Marmaduke and Cheeks. Which one were you?
Speaker 1: I don't I was probably Marma Duke. Mark was probably Cheeks, but I don't they had. He had plenty of weird nicknames for us and we were growing up for sure.
Speaker 2: All right, here's another one for you. Rick Monday, who is still broadcasting Dodger Games segment.
Speaker 3: He still likes chili when you see him today? Is he still like chili?
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I was gonna bring up to you.
Speaker 3: He likes chili. He's a big fan of chili.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said. You brought it up as well, and he started to bring chili cans down to the office for you.
Speaker 1: I figured when you said Rick Money, the first thing comes to mind, is he really likes chili.
Speaker 2: I thought, maybe you guys love chili the way he.
Speaker 3: Said a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what was that about? Did he actually bring you down cans of chili?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I'm sure he did, but it was just something that he said, I have a getch some chili, So it's just something that I remember him saying all the time.
Speaker 2: Chad Tracy is our guest. I had a first pitch between the Dodgers and Red Sox. Obviously, even in La Chad, we know what the Red Sox have done since the beginning of June. How fun has it been for you to really see these guys play to their potential.
Speaker 1: It's been a great experience. Obviously, went through a lot over the first few months of the season and always believe that there was enough talent in the room to you know, play better than we were and see it turn. And obviously it's turned, but it's turned in even bigger fashion than a lot of us that imagine.
Speaker 3: But we've played very, very well over the course of.
Speaker 1: The last month plus and put ourselves in a good position, and it's been a lot of fun. When there's a group of players that I really enjoyed being with. I've had a lot of them in the minor leagues, and they play the game the right way, and they play hard, and it's just a good group in there, and they're meshing well and we have to just continue to play.
Speaker 3: Well, it's all it is now.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you know the history. When Tommy Lasorda was managing the Dodgers, he was managing in the minor leagues and he came up with those guys Garvey, Lopes, Russell and say, is it similar with you? Because you manage some of these guys in the minor leagues?
Speaker 3: It makes it. It makes it.
Speaker 1: I mean it's a huge transition, you know, when you're gonna come up and manage the Red Sox almost it's just about May. And there's been some struggles with all the market the way it is, like, there's there's challenges with that. But what makes it easier when you walk in and you know, like about seventy five to eighty percent of the room knows who I am, knows what I'm about, has played for me, and I know what they're about. So as far as like you know, the trust that needs to get built between coaches or a manager and players, like that's a.
Speaker 3: Huge piece of it.
Speaker 1: And I think some of that leg work had already been done in the minor league. So it's certainly helped a lot when I when I got into the room.
Speaker 2: I heard you live right beyond the outfield in the minor leagues when you were managing Triple A. So do you live right on Landsdown? Where do you live?
Speaker 3: I live a couple blocks away. I'm close.
Speaker 1: I'm close. I can see it. I'm a couple of blocks away. But yeah, I was in Worcestern. I was just behind the right field wall and I walked to work. And I do much of the same here, which is cool.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, Chad Tracy. Before I let you go last night, you exchange lineup cards with one of your dad's former players, Dave Roberts, who's a legend in Boston and obviously is cementing his legacy as a manager here in LA. What was your relationship with Dave when he was a player, and what was it like going out there.
Speaker 1: He might be cementing his legacy as a Hall of Famer, To be perfectly honest with you, he's been. His career speaks for itself as a manager for sure and as a player.
Speaker 3: But he I gave him a big hug just because I know him. I met him. He knows who I am.
Speaker 1: I was hanging around the field so and I know and he said that up there that, you know, telling him, bros.
Speaker 3: This, this guy's dad gave me my first opportunity.
Speaker 1: And there's plenty of others you know that we're given opportunities, Alex cor being one of them, Paula Duca and I got to know all these guys and watch them respond to my dad the way they did, and I and I relish in the memories of that because the team, you know, with some of these guys getting first opportunities, the team, you know, won an n OL West championship, you know, so, and I was old enough to know exactly what's going on. I was sitting right there when hit the walk off Grand Slam, and so I was very engaged with that team, and it was.
Speaker 3: Just cool to see Doc and give him a hug.
Speaker 2: Well, congratulations on the success you've had. You've worked really hard to get this opportunity. Everybody in Los Angeles is rooting for you, especially out there in Malibu. I won't call you a pepperhead, because that's offensive, I know how that's what the locals think.
Speaker 1: No, it's I actually think I might be able to see there might be some people from pepper On that might come tomorrow but it's it's.
Speaker 3: Been a while. Something back and thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: I don't have chili for you, but I have a gift card to Travis Matthew. Thank you for the time, and you'll receive a gift card to Travis Matthew. So the lifestyle you I love that.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I'll email it to Abby, she better deliver it for you.
Speaker 3: Chad Tracy, thank you, appreciate it.