Speaker 1: The following takes place between seven pm and eight pm.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to it at seven h seven.
Speaker 3: Seven hundred WLW Welcome in RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. Two hours to get it done tonight, man, do we have some grind to cover. We have a developing situation with the Reds. Let me give you the cliff Notes version on that. Sea Trent is reporting the Reds in Emilio. Pagan have reached terms agreement on a two year contract. Details to follow. My first guest is a Cincinnati kid. You might remember him as a sports anchor and reporter for Channel five from twenty eighteen to twenty twenty two. After battling depression and suicidal thoughts, he checked himself into a mental health hospital, began treatment, found a new purpose, left TV, became a mental health advocate host of the Mental Game podcast. You might remember he joined me in studio back in twenty twenty two. What a journey since. What an incredible latest chapter We're going to get to in a second, But what a pleasure to welcome back Brandon.
Speaker 2: Sayo, how are you?
Speaker 4: I'm good land man. I look back to that moment in the studio. I think we had like maybe ten or fifteen minutes carved out. We ended up doing an hour together. And now I'll be forever grateful for you letting me share my story that way on the radio, because it was the first time that I really told a lot of those stories of my mental health struggle. So thanks man. I love it, and I'm excited to be back.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm so proud of what you are doing and so excited about what you're doing. And that night I get goosebumps and my hair stands up on my arms just remembering the things we discussed that night.
Speaker 5: Let's do this.
Speaker 3: Before we get to the incredible news, a little bit of backtracking. It's set up for those who may not be aware of what all is going on. Tell listeners what your mission is with the Mental Game podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, I mean I struggled from fourteen years old on as a freshman at Lasal with suicidal thoughts all the way through college and even when I got my dream job working at WLWT and getting to do the sports with George and Elise and the crew at Channel five and covering the Bengal is going to the Super Bowl. No one really knew that behind the scenes, I was battling suicide every second, every day for those three months leading up to that Super Bowl we run. I had three family members passed away, including my cousin Ben, who's based on my older brother. He had a heart attack at thirty one. I dealt with all this pressure on me, obviously at work, which I loved, but it's a lot. And then I always felt alone and wanted to have that picture perfect you know, high school sweetheart, marriage and family and kids like we do here in Cincinnati. And I thought I finally found that person with that relationship, with going through a really tough moment and break up and toxic relationship, and so I get the rock bottom. Man, we're at twenty eight. I had to go to my mom for the first time ever. He's the first person I ever told like, I don't want to live anymore. I don't know how to live and I need help. And that is the first time I asked for help. And I checked into a hospital at the Lenders Center Hope and Mason. That helped save my life the next day, And that was the first step, man. But it's been a long, long journey since that day. In twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: And your Mental Game podcast is just blowing up and you it seems if I had a map in front of me. You are traversing the country talking with with athletes and celebrities and they are opening up to you.
Speaker 2: And I'm struck by how.
Speaker 3: Comfortable you make them in very uncomfortable conversations. They're opening up to you about stuff like this. Give listeners an idea of some of the people you've talked to over the course of the last few years.
Speaker 4: Well, I have to give Sam Hubbard credit. That guy is a good friend of mine. Obviously a chance to cover him with the Bengals and I was at Channel five, but I texted him I had the idea, and I'm like, man, I got this idea to talk with athletes about mental health. Can I try it with you? And he invited me over to his house on an off day. I ended up becoming the first ever episode, and without Sam it wouldn't happen. But man, it's been crazy. I mean it started with Sam, Ricky Williams, one of my first guests, Jake Frailey with the Reds when he was still in town. But it's grown now where you know, I moved to LA almost two years ago. Now I drove my car out there, which is a long trick. But you know, I've been able to sit down with people like Harry Crews and it was the first time that he ever opened up about being suicidal, and he chose to do it with me because he felt comfortable with my vulnerability in my story. And so they get to sit down with some of these big time people in sports, whether it's Adam Schefter, Will Wade, Ted Carrett, you know, Ryan shay Z or Nate Burlison, these people that you think have nothing wrong, and they're rich and they're strong, and they're playing in the NFL, they're on TV. Guess what we all struggle, We all go through stuff. And so I love what I've been able to do with the pod and it's not something I ever dreamed of, but it's become my true purpose. And really that purpose is the in person stuff I get to do when I'm in schools or I'm at businesses, or I'm at LSU with Joe Burrow's parents, talking to thousands of people about mental health. Maybe for the first time they're talking about it because it's sports related. That's the whole goal.
Speaker 3: Man, your newest chapter is pretty dang incredible, and you are the subject of the interview. Explain what happened yesterday and who you talked to and who talked to you.
Speaker 4: I can't believe every time I stay this sentence, because it's been a seekert I've had to keep for about three weeks. But I sat down with Oprah Winfrey, which is insane to say out loud, and I got to share my story with her. You know, I had. I had this video that went viral about three weeks ago where I talked about nothing's for it related not really mental health, but my fear of never being a father or a husband one day and I did not know that video would change my life and get to Oprah and her want to talk to me about it. It was incredible to see the outpouring of messages from men and women. But lance I'm talking about like I went to bed on a Friday night posted just not thinking anything, not putting a ton of effort into it, and I woke up and had millions of views. I mean, it's got like fifteen million across three or four platforms. Now, I've heard from people all over the world. And one of those people was her producer. And I'm sitting at the Roses with my mom, like I'm in town for twenty four hours. I was speaking out Mountain ut her name, and I go to the Roses in Blue Ash with my mom and I'm like, Mom, I just got an email about Oprah, Like I don't know what this is, and so I called the guy and it's legit and long story short, Yeah, I was able to sit down with her. She had this amazing episode with Scott Galloway. It's kind of the feature GATSI, the Great men's mental health coach and author and professor at NYU, but the whole episode was about male loneliness and so for about eight to ten minutes they featured my story and I got to have that conversation with Oprah and the audience, and man, it was. It was special and it was really hard to hold on to until yesterday. But when you're with one of the all time greats when it comes to TV and entertainment and just I mean lance, she's one of the top ten living people. Yeah, Like it's insane to say that, but it was really powerful. Man. There's some cool moments that I'll share here in a sec but just to get the chance to sit with her and have that conversation on a stage like that. I mean my phone that I put it out yesterday. It was pretty wild. I haven't stopped.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: So you said it's about eight to ten minutes. Where where did it take place? And how can listeners? You would watch it right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So she shot in New York. That's where we sho She shoots these group ones kind of with a fifty person audience. It kind of feels like her old show, but in a podcast form. And so yeah, out on the Open again. This sounds so weird to say out loud because I'm just a normal dude, But you can find me talking with Oprah on the Open podcast on iHeartRadio and all of your podcast platforms, and uh yeah, it was just really special, man. I think what was really cool She plays that video and I actually just put this on Instagram right before you know, I hopped on with you and she plays the video on Oprah and I like kind of tear up together and she pats her heart at me and it was just like this moment of man, Oprah's talking about my story and I'm on this platform, and it's like I had this moment afterwards and it's a it's we talk about my dating life, my mental health journey, what I do with the mental game, you know, this vulnerability piece that I think so many men are afraid to having because we're told we're weak if we're emotional. This BS that isn't true. But we were fed our entire life. But after the interview gets done, Lance, I walk backstage with Oprah and I'm sitting there and we're having a conversation, we take pictures, we hug, and all of a sudden, I just like hear this other person start running towards us and they're going, I love this brandy guy. I got to meet him and it's Gail King, and I'm like, what is my life right now? Where I'm sitting backstage and I'm like the sandwich of an Oprah. Gail and me hug. It was like the coolest thing ever. And at that point, Oprah's you know team, they saw that, like Gail and Oprah trusted me enough where it was just us for like five minutes, and I got to have that moment in my head where during that five minutes of us talking and just telling each other's story and connecting adopta who we obviously they know everyone, but like I have connection with Nate on my show and CBS Morning. But I had like ten seconds in my head man that I went, you are literally standing with Oprah and Gail King in New York City getting to do what you dreamed of. Like this is what all those nights walking on the road, Lank thinking about taking your life, going to therapy, starting this thing, quitting your job, driving uber, having no money, getting sober, like all this stuff. Man, it was worth it in like that ten seconds. I you talked to like people like Burrow or these athletes and they're like, not just another game, they don't really have time to soak it all in. I made sure that, like I soaked that in for at least ten seconds of that time because it was a special dude, man oh.
Speaker 3: Man, And it kind of paint the picture of what you can. You do a lot of traveling. In fact, I think you're going to be in if I have your itinerary or right, are you going to be an Indian Saturday as part of an event around the IU Loisville basketball game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So the care Source Invitational I've got really lucky where we've been out a partner, the Mental Game and Care Source, thanks to the University of DAT and the coach Grant you know, you know his story where they lost their daughter Data and they started Javelite to raise awareness for mental health and funds to help people in the community. And started with one game with Dayton three years ago and a town hall at ud and now it's turned into this cross country tour. We have three or four games each year. This one in India is huge, man one. It's on the day of the Big Ten title game with IU who's playing of course Ohio State, but we're on national TV on CBS. It's a huge game and it's all about mental health. Obviously they want to win on the court, but it's a mental health awareness game. So what's really cool is the day before so on Friday, both coaches and both teams will join us at a local high school and we'll surprise the kids and we have this big pep rally. I do my fifteen minute keynote, really interactive, getting the celebrities that I know involved, with teams involved, and then they do drills with the players and coaches that get to interact. It's a special, special thing that you see Ohio State Dager, our old buddy coach cal and Arkansas has done it with a couple of years too. It's been really special, man. But yeah, I'm going there. I'm in Dayton tomorrow and then I'm in Indy this weekend and back to LA. Before I'm obviously I was in Texas and South Dakota and month. It's it's insane. We got forty six states down, four.
Speaker 2: To go, Brandon.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine that the power of the connection you're making when when you take this message to schools or businesses. There are two events and and I watched the crowds you're talking to, and there's probably moments where you make eye contact with somebody who may be tearing up, and and just the connection and the help you're offering them when you put your head on the pillow at night, it's just got to make you feel so good.
Speaker 2: The how you're impacting lives.
Speaker 4: It is pretty crazy, man. It's like being on Oprah is awesome. Getting to meet some of the people and live in LA and rough shoulders with who I'm rubbing shoulders with now is life changing. But the real life changing and life stating and stuff. Is what I get to do when I'm at my alma mater at the South and I get I get to talk to those kids that were you know that I've been in their shoes. Or I get to be at UC, or I get to be at UD and with these businesses. Hey, dude, it doesn't matter if it's ten people in a high school classroom or ten thousand in a basketball arena this weekend. Every time I stay after and talk and meet with people one on one as long as I possibly can, and every time, at least one usually more come up and say, hey, man, I never told anyone this, but I'm suicidal right now. I need help. I don't know what to do. Can you help me? And it breaks my heart, but it also warms my heart because it gives me that confidence that we're doing the right thing. We're creating a safe space, and we always have resources with us so we can help them in those moments. And man, I'm not saying this is like a look at me thing, but we've been to forty six states. We touched them on two hundred and fifty thousand lives in person last year and a half and man, my goal is to finish off fifty and then I don't know. I got open on myself. Now let's go International's Australia right now.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable, Oh incredible. For those listening who want to check out the Mental Game podcast who want to maybe connect with you about bringing your message to where they are, tell them all the information they need how they can seek you out and check out your stuff of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go to the Mental Dot Game. The Mental Dot Game, you can see where I'm going to be at, but you can also hit us up and email our team. I love to come the high schools, middle schools, businesses. I'll tell you what. Man, talking to people our age that maybe don't talk about mental health ever and breaking that that stigma with them is really really special. You can see where I'm going to be at. I love to meet up with people, make content videos and just be able to have conversations. And it's funny that obviously I'm in Cincinnati. I was at your studio twice today due to separate times, but I'm two hours late to the family party that I had to celebrate Oprah, So I'm gonna hang up and go party with the West for a little bit to night. But I love you, man, I.
Speaker 3: Love you too, and I'm so happy for you and so proud of what you're doing. And just keep it rolling and definitely keep in touch and keep doing what you're doing and making the impact you're making.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it, man, and thank you for letting me do that with you so many times on this platform. I know we're going to help a lot of people.
Speaker 6: Man in the.
Speaker 3: Tripty sounds good. Thanks Brandon, awesome, thank you, there you go, Brandon, Sayo, what an incredible story. I will never forget the night he was in studio back in twenty twenty two talking about what he was going to what he was facing in his life at that point, and the decision to turn to the Mental Game podcast and create that and try to reach out and connect and have the impact he's having unbelievable and Oprah of all conversations with her yesterday really really cool. All right, there are developing situations on multiple fronts. I've got headlines to get to, got some Red's news to get to. Bill Rebinowitz is going to join up covering the Ohio State Buckeyes. Chris Welsh will join US Talk, a little Reds and more as we continue with RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred wwright, let me give you the short, quick condensed version of the headlines. According to the Athletic and C Trent Rosecrans, the Reds have reached an agreement with Emilio Pagan for him to return his Reds closer two years at twenty million dollars in option after year one his option after year one. More on that in a bit. Former Bengals quarterback Ken Anderson among five finalists named the individuals named finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame class of twenty twenty six. Former Bengals offensive lineman Willie Anderson was already a finalist in the Modern Era category. Each finalist now awaits an eighty percent approval vote from the full selection committee ahead of the Super Bowl. College football, University of South Florida USF is hiring Ohio State offensive coordinator Brian Hartline Cyclones forward Ryan Kerwin is the ECHL Rookie of the Month man he tore it up in November. Signing Day today for college football, u SE signs a class of twenty two, including seven from Ohio. One from Cincinnati taf linebacker Adam Kurty Moehler, quarterback Met Ponitowski signs with Kentucky. Chris Henry, the son of the former Bengals wide receiver, was to sign with Ohio State today but is now considering Ohio State, Oregon, and USC after Brian Hartline, the offensive coordinator Ohio State and his position coach at Ohio State, has left to take the USF job. That's the shortened version of what you need to know today. Speaking of Ohio State, Bill Rabinowitz is on the beat covering the Buckeyes, who played for the Big Ten championship on Saturday. He's also written an outstanding book about last year's title run to the national championship for the Buckeyes.
Speaker 2: He's going to join me after news.
Speaker 3: Chris Welsh perfectly time TOI and joins me at eight oh five. I'll ask him about the Emilio Pegan news and so much more ahead on RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. Seven hundred WLWE seven hundred WLW RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. I'm Lance Bercallister. I'm very excited to welcome on our next guest. I can't imagine how busy he is this week, and so kind of him to take out time tonight.
Speaker 2: Let's talk buck Eyes.
Speaker 3: It's Ohio State in Indiana for the Big Ten Championships Saturday night in Indy. My next guest covers the buck Eyes covered him for fourteen years with the Columbus Dispatch. These Days on Substack, author of fabulous books on Ohio State football, Buckeye Rebirth about the undefeated twenty twelve team, The Chase after their twenty fourteen National championship season, the newest one on last season's title, Buckeye Brotherhood is a must read for moron all of that. Let's welcome in Bill Rabinowitz. How are you.
Speaker 6: Good, l Ance. Thanks for a very kind introduction.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it, you got it.
Speaker 3: It is so great to catch up with you and so happy for all that you have going on. The book is fabulous. Let me start from this point. What a difference in vibe and narrative around this program and around Ryan Day compared to a year ago at this time after losing to Michigan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, I mean, in fact, it was a day. It was the Tuesday after the Michigan game last year, that they had this now famous team meeting with Ryan Day, just Ryan Day and the players, and they went at it in a healthy way, but a very brutally honest way about what had gone wrong against Michigan, what they needed to correct before the playoffs. That really ended up being a cathartic meeting, and we all know what happened after that.
Speaker 6: But they entered the room.
Speaker 5: That day a very very demorrowized team and they left it a really inspired team.
Speaker 2: Bill was that book Buckeye Brotherhood?
Speaker 3: Was the book in the works from the start of the season, or did the season rise to the level of writing a book.
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, I did not plan to write another book. It'sact all of them have been kind of accidental.
Speaker 6: I didn't.
Speaker 5: I never intended to be an author. And then twenty twelve happened. I said, okay, fine, I'll do that and that'll be my one and only. And then twenty fourteen, which was even crazier, it happened, Oh I got to write this one, and then I thought, okay, I'm done, and then last year happened. So no, I did not plan on doing it. It wasn't like I was like a squirrel hiding away little nuts and doing that kind of stuff. But I did like fifty plus interviews with all the key people and really pieced it together from the inside out as best I could.
Speaker 3: All right, let's talk about this team right now, the present day team. And this may be a dumb question or word question, but they've beaten Michigan. They're in the playoff field. How important? How big is Saturday in the grand scheme of things.
Speaker 5: No, it's a great question because on one hand, you have one versus two, right, normally that'd be like, oh my god, it's one versus two, But it really doesn't matter. And the grand scheme of things, Yes, they want to win a big Tens. They haven't done it five years. They haven't been to Indianapolis in five years, so I definitely want to win it. But they're going to get a buye in the playoff no matter what happens. In the same with Indiana. There the only two underfeated teams. They're not going to drop below four for sure the loser. And so it's it's a game for pride, but it's not going to be I mean not the game gets Michigan is the one they needed to win because they lost four straight and that was the one that just that was the must win. This is not a must win. They want to win it. It'll be nice to win it, but it's you know, I won't say it will be forgotten, but in the scheme of things, you know, Michigan's important in the playoffs, is really important, and this will be kind of the one in the middle. But again it's one versus two, so it's a pretty cool game.
Speaker 3: There are some moving parts obviously. Today Brian Hartline, the offensive coordinator wide receivers coaches, has taken the USF head coaching job. What's your reaction to that news today?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was I was surprised, but not surprised. I think we all knew that Brian Hartline, given the success he had as the wide receivers coach and now the offensive quitter coordinator, was going to be moving on. I mean, he had earned it, and so I think that's a really good job for him. You know, people start talking about ten State. I thought, I'm not sure that he's quite ready for that. That pressure cooker. He could go down to Tampa. That was funny that South Florida, right at is in Tampa, which is not in southern Florida, you know, the.
Speaker 6: West side of Florida. But anyway, you know, it's a good program.
Speaker 5: They're building a new stadium. I think he'll be successful there. Then from there he can make whatever jump he wants. Probably, but you know, it's impossible to keep a guy like that around for too long unless he wants to stay. But he played pro football with the Dolphins, so he's familiar with Florida.
Speaker 6: I think he'll do a good job down there.
Speaker 3: For those who maybe aren't up on the latest news, it appears one of the dominoes that has fallen from that is that Chris Henry Junior, one of the top maybe the top wide receiver in the country, had originally said he would sign with Ohio State. He now appears to be his name in play with multiple schools at this moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I don't blame them. I tweeted this earlier today. I mean, if you have that kind of news on the day that you are supposed to sign, why wouldn't you, you know, take as much time as you can and figure out, Okay, this is still the school for me. And I asked Ryan Day about he can't talk about players specifically who haven't signed, but his point was essentially, Ohio State is Ohio State. We're going to get somebody good. It's the culture here is strong. I'm sure that's the pitch to Chris Henry. But in this nil era, you know, who knows how much money we'll talk and Ohio States general philosophy is to pay the top guys, and he is a top guy. But you know they want guys to earn it before they get the big Nio bucks, and so it'll be very fascinating to see how that develops. Obviously, Ohio State is still a wide receiver you and they're going to get a good wide receiver Seach. I mean, you know, Mark Pantoni, the general manager of Ohio State, said probably fifty guys and already sent their resumes to Ryan Day.
Speaker 6: So he's going to have the pick of the litter.
Speaker 5: And but I under you know, it's all of a sudden he doesn't have the guy there, and so it makes sense for him to at least take another look at it.
Speaker 3: On the other side of the ball, with the defense, if you look at this stat sheet and you see ninety three points allowed in twelve games. It almost looks like a misprint, and you said, well, that can't possibly be right, but it is. Describe the impact the defensive coordinator Matt Patricia has had in his first season on this team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean ninety three points. It's like two Bengal games.
Speaker 2: But well done.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I used to cover the Bengal pick a shot. He has done a fantastic job. And there was a lot of skepticism when he was hired because he had framed out as the Lions coach, and there's a lot of question about the fact that how much was he responsible for the Patriots' success on defense versus Belichick legitimately so and and the other thing was he hadn't coached in college for two decades and he really exclusively a the pros. But he's done just an amazing job. I mean, they lost eight defensive starters and they're better than they were last year at helpstep Caleb Bounds for sure, and Sonny Styles for sure at linebacker, and Davis Ligbdos' is a good cornerback. But to have eight new starters and play even better than they did last year, that's pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: Quarterback Julian's saying through I think attempted twelve passes last year. This season he made very well, won the Heisman, completing seventy nine percent of his passes, thirty touchdowns, five picks. Aside from the numbers, what has impressed you most about him this season?
Speaker 6: He is just unfazable. Nothing just bothers.
Speaker 5: On the second pass of the game against Michigan's intercepted for a lot of guys, especially a red short freshman that could be really really tough to get over, he just went back out there like nothing ever happened. He's just really poised. He's incredibly accurate. He's got a strong arm, but the accuracy is the thing, and the quick release. He also was able to feel the pocket very well. Well, I mean, he can run, but he's you knows, not Will Howard. He's certainly not like a guy like Braxton Miller or just the feels like the like the highest he has had. But he could run well enough. But he's just really good at feeling pressure and being able to roll out and throw on the run. And it's been very impressive. Yeah, I think the I think whoever plays better and whoever's team wins between Ohio State Indiana with Fernando Mendoza is probably going to be the Heisman winner.
Speaker 3: The book is Buckeye Brotherhood. It's a fabulous read. It would be perfect for the holidays for those who want to get the book. For those who want to read your stuff on substack, tell them how they can go about doing that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's Bill Rabinowit's R A, B I, N O, W I t Z dot substack dot com. And it's a very good problem to have, but it's a problem. The book is more or less sold out, at least the hardcovers have, so we are working really hard to get more copies than paperbacks coming in. If you subscribe to my substack, I will I will send you a free paperback version of it. If you are a Founder's member, which is you know, kind of an upper level, then you can get a free hardcover book from me. I'll sign it and personalize it. Otherwise you can try Barnes Andnoble dot com. You can certainly try some of the local bookstores in Columbus in terms of their online site, book Loft and Gramarcy Books. Yeah, it's frustrating because you want everybody who wants the book today to be able to get it today.
Speaker 6: They will have it. We know that.
Speaker 5: The reason that we kind of went to paperback is you can produce those fast and quick, fast, and you know, and pretty easily.
Speaker 6: So I think it's it's a matter of days.
Speaker 5: But again, if you want it for sure, and you want it signed and personalized, I'm come to you know, join my subtech.
Speaker 7: Hey.
Speaker 3: I always enjoy our conversations. I always appreciate you making time. I know it's been a hectic day. Thanks for carving out some time tonight. You know you're welcome anytime. And congrats on the book and best of luck with it going forward.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it. Lan, It's always thanks to you. Want to take care, Bill, take care? All right?
Speaker 3: There you go, Bill Rabinowitz. The substack read is excellent, The book is stellar. Buckeye Brotherhood all right still, Hey, Chris Welsh at eight oh six tonight get his reaction to the Emelio Pagan News. How about we hear a little bit from Zach Taylor. Zach Taylor on the Ken Anderson News Today. That and more is we roll on with Arnel Carrier. Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevallet, seven hundred WLW. Hey, we are cruising right along towards nine o'clock tonight. Nine o'clock would be Dan Carroll time. I do believe plenty to get two between now and then. Welcome back to Arnold Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevallet. Let's talk some Bengals before we get into the Reds to headline the eight o'clock hour. Don't look now, but the Bengals offensive line playing better, saw Joe Goodbarry from Bengals on the Brain tweet this morning. Over the last two games, according to Pro Football Focus grades, the Bengals have had their best run blocking score for a single game since twenty twenty two and their best pass blocking score for a single game since sixteen. Zach Taylor earlier today talked about the old line coming together and part of that being Dalton Reisner has settled in and taken over a right guard for the injured Jalen Rivers. Zach on that offensive line play and the impact of Dalton Reisner.
Speaker 2: Take a listen, com.
Speaker 8: Inius leadership experience energy. He's just done a great job. He's he's really a really good example of that room. Because I think you're going to describe every player in that room the same way, and so for Dalton to be the last added piece to that, he just has walked in the door and fit right in. And I'm really happy we have him, have enjoyed him being around and enjoyed the role he's playing for us. But I think he's he's just a great example of what that old line room really is. And it's all great personalities, Guys that love football, guys that really understand, have a high football Q. And so it's it's a good group to be around. They have a lot of confidence, I think the offens so we've got a lot of confidence in the team's got a lot of confidence in them. They played well, But again it's it's the preaching to the whole team right now. It doesn't matter what we did last week. We got to keep doing it over and over again. And so we can't just assume because we did some good things on Thursday night that that's going to care for Sunday. I guys understand that.
Speaker 3: Zach Taylor. Earlier today the Big Bengals News of the day. Of course, Kenny Anderson among the finalist name for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of twenty twenty six. Zach was asked about Kenny earlier today, take a listen.
Speaker 8: Kenny Anderson's finals for the whole of the year time.
Speaker 6: I know he's been before, but yeah.
Speaker 2: What's been your interaction over the years.
Speaker 6: Tremendous. A huge fan of Ken Anderson.
Speaker 8: He's He's always been great to me through good times in bad. He's an example of a guy, you know, when we've struggled, who was there still supporting me, genuinely supporting me and our team and the direction we're headed.
Speaker 6: And so you.
Speaker 8: Really, I genuinely appreciate people like that. Ken and I have always had a great relationship through his foundation, through him just coming to practice, through text messages, and so I have done my own research. I mean, he absolutely should have been in the Hall of Fame a long time ago. He should absolutely be in now. I mean statistically he's he's in a better position than a lot of people that are in it. You know, NFL MVP and of the Year, let us team to super Bowl. I mean, all all the great perform at the completion percentage, everything he's done, statistically should he should be in there right now. So this year is the year he absolutely absolutely should be in it. If he's not, then it's e'sicient.
Speaker 3: Really good stuff from Zach. Earlier today, there was also a high school conversation at Zach's news conference, the fact that Anderson and Saint X are still alive, and Zach talked about those two teams, in fact, the connection that Travis Brammer, their video director, has to that Anderson team. Here's Zach talking to high school football.
Speaker 8: St X and Anderson playing first state champions the next couple of days.
Speaker 2: Will needs pulling for both those absolutely.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: You know, Travis Brammer his son played Anderson last year, so I know he still goes a lot of the games. And I've been falling Anderson all year. They have a tremendous team, and I think they're playing the same team they played last year. I'm not mistaken. I know they're proximate five fifty three AM this year. Seven minutes earlier I saw that. So definitely pulling for Anderson, Definitely pulling for Saint X. You know, got a lot of people that I know that are there, and so two great nights of football, you know, Thursday and Friday, and I hope I'm not missing amba else in the area.
Speaker 6: But those are two teams.
Speaker 8: That I feel like i've I've really followed over the last couple of years, and great football coming from the Cincinnati area.
Speaker 6: So be fun to watch.
Speaker 3: All right, let's do this. Let's let's put this first hour in the books. Get your check on news. Eight o'clock hour will be spent with our leadoff hitter, Chris Welsh. He's going to be in Brookville, Indiana a week from tomorrow night the Franklin County Baseball Dinner.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about that.
Speaker 3: It is reaction to Emilio Pegan coming back to the Reds according to the Athletic two years at twenty million, with a player option for that second year. I'll ask him about the news that continues to circulate about Kyle Schwarber and some other aspects of this Reds team. You'll hear from Richard Patino on the shootout and what it means and if the players today understand the significance of the shootout. That in the eight o'clock hour, and I think we're gonna have to take some calls as well, so we are action packed. Let's get two it afternoons RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: The following takes place between eight pm and nine pm.
Speaker 3: All right, let's keep rolling, no reason to slow down at this point eight oh nine. Welcome in on RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. I'm Lance pcal Lester. How about some Reds based you know and you love Our next guest as a longtime Reds analyst on TV and in the radio booth for over the past thirty three seasons, he's going to be the featured speaker at the annual Franklin County Baseball Dinner coming up Thursday night in Brookville, Indiana. A night of food, fun and fundraising and talking baseball. It is a pleasure to welcome in. Chris Welsh, how are you.
Speaker 7: Lance, Lance? Great to talk to you anytime I can talk to you. And there's snow on the ground. I mean that's that's a good thing, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there's even like some hot stove news to melt the snow.
Speaker 2: Tonight.
Speaker 3: Our guy see Trend has reported that the Reds have reaching agreement on a two year, twenty million dollar deal with Emilio Pegan. The second year of player option your instant reaction.
Speaker 9: A great move, really good move.
Speaker 7: I was kind of distressed to think that he was going to be gone, be honest with you. You know, he's an interesting guy. He had a tough twenty twenty four. He was injured, his velocity dropped down, he just didn't feel well. I think he had a lap problem that he really never did heal from. And then last year, you know, his velocity bumped up as high as it was.
Speaker 9: In his entire career.
Speaker 7: So here he was thirty four years old, throwing as hard as he ever did before.
Speaker 9: His splitter was really good last year.
Speaker 7: I think hit or sit like a buck twenty off of it or something like that. And you know, for all the worry that the people had about signing him to a small ballpark like Great American and you know, Flyball, it didn't work out like that. He was solid guy and he's really solid in the clubhouse, super leader.
Speaker 9: I'm delighted that.
Speaker 2: He's back now.
Speaker 3: The other news, Ken Rosen, everybody from Ken Rosenthal to John Hayman writing at the Reds are quote serious about Kyle Schwerber, that Kyle is at least willing to listen. What would you what would you say to us, dropping Kyle Schwerber in the middle of that Reds line up, Chris Welsh, it would.
Speaker 7: Change a little bit, would I mean, you know, he was kind of the missing link. In fact, there are a lot of teams that could use him right in the middle of the order, obviously, and the Reds, hopefully, you know, are on the trail and you know they've got a lot of things going for them and trying to resign him. But you know, it's one of those things where you need a guy who puts a little bit of fear in the opposing pictures.
Speaker 9: And the Reds didn't had that guy. I mean, they had good.
Speaker 7: Players, They had versatle players, guys who could play all over the place. Some of them could put the ball in play, some of us struck out a little bit. But if you put Schwarbur in there, when you're a pitcher, you know where he is in the batting order? I mean, is he on the deck circle? Is he in double deck? You know, do I have to face the next inning? Managers feel the same way when they're plotting out the late part of the game. Where is Schwarber And because he can change a game on a swing so it would be great. Certainly, I'm you know, optimistic, but I'm tempering that a little bit because, you know, the free agent market is a crazy thing.
Speaker 9: It's very unpredictable, no doubt, no.
Speaker 3: Doubt they and they have some work to do. I want to go back to the bullpen. They still have some work to do to rebuild that bullpen, Chris. Why are the performances of relievers so seemingly volatile one year to the next. Why are they so hard to figure out and know what to count on and who to count on year to year?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean it's not only with the Reds, but it's everybody. And I think that because everybody, I think nowadays, lance is being evaluated according to numbers.
Speaker 9: You know, how hard do you throw.
Speaker 7: How hard is your slider? How many times you get twings and misses? What is your soft contact?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 7: The last thing that I think teams look at nowadays are earned run averages and wins and losses and even number of saves and holds and things like that. Those statistics are out the door now. Everything that they're looking at is being grabbed by a high speed camera or some kind of an analytical machine that is breaking down the pitch, you know, the stin the axis of the pitch, the release point. Here's something for you. Here's one thing that made Emilio Pegan soo good and deceptive. He throws ninety six miles an hour, but he's six feet two inches tall. When he releases the ball to home plate, he's almost six feet nine inches tall. You you know, six inches of extension, and that's six inches sneaks up on the hitter. Those are the kind of things that teams.
Speaker 9: Are looking for nowadays.
Speaker 7: And I think the reason the teams are up and their players are up and down, pitchers especially is because you know, they're chasing the unhittable pitch and they're trying to throw it so hard and snap it off so hard that they lose the consistency around the strike zone. And if you're wild or outside of the drug zone, you're going to be wild inside the strike zone and those guys get hit. So it's as simple as that. That's why it's very hard to predict pitchers, especially relief pitchers.
Speaker 3: I wonder Tony Santion was really good last year, but he was really worked last year eighty appearances. How much concern do you have about the carryover effect into the next season after a workload like that.
Speaker 9: There's a lot of worry about that.
Speaker 7: I mean, well, once a guy gets to about seventy games a year and how he's worked and so on, you see fewer and fewer relievers wanting to take the ball down the.
Speaker 9: Road when they've been they've been used like that.
Speaker 7: I mean, their agents are now telling them that, hey, you know, you shut it down until you know, the month of August because you know you're coming up on free agency and you can't afford to go seventy five games this year. They're going to use you. They know you're going to be a free agent. This is not Tony Santin. This is in general. So this is the one thing that's going on kind of behind the scenes in baseball that's very disturbing, where you're getting pitchers that are healthy who are not pitching because they're afraid they're going to miss the big pay day when they become a creation er and they get an arbitration. So you know, Santio is a team player. He's a guy that went out there time and time again. He went out there, you know, on fumes many times and I think that he's going to be well rested.
Speaker 9: He's a big dude, man.
Speaker 7: I mean, he's a big, burly bull out and I love him. And I don't think other hitters like to sit in the sit in the batters box against him either.
Speaker 3: Are you bullish on a bounce back from Matt McLain this coming season?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I am.
Speaker 6: I think that.
Speaker 7: You know, he had a really serious shoulder injury. I think the expectations for Matt McClain were way.
Speaker 9: Out of whack at the beginning of the year last year.
Speaker 7: I really do now really for me, Matt McClain, he has to be for simple. He just got to fix a couple of things at the plate. Number one, he's got to stop chasing the high pitch. If he stopped doing that, you're going to bring the ball down in order for him. He's got a small strike zone. He's a little dude right highwives. He's a big, strong, early kid, but he's he's not real tall, so it's a nice compact strike zone. He's got to make the strike zone his friend rather than his foe. And he started chasing things all over outside of the zone, and you know, you pitch him in with fastballs.
Speaker 9: You pitch him away with sliders the age Wle way.
Speaker 7: Of doing it, and that was the way they got him out last year. Once he figures that out, you know, he's a speedy kid. He's got a great arm. He wants to play. He's got this burning desire inside him, and that's probably the thing that I like the most.
Speaker 3: You are the featured speaker at the annual Franklin County Baseball Dinner coming up next Thursday night. Are you excited to be in Brookville, Indiana for a big night of talking baseball?
Speaker 7: I am, indeed and not doing that, but I'm going to see my old battery mate who ended up being a Reds manager, and Dave Miley. It was Miles that called me and he got me over there.
Speaker 9: He's involved with that program over there.
Speaker 7: And it's going to be a lot of fun. It's not big fancy dinnering. I think they're doing pizza and the salads and things like this. But I'm going to give a good talk about, you know, about the Reds, maybe had some broadcasting and some history, maybe some jokes mixed in, and I'll tell you, and I'll to everybody that shows up. If you don't like my speech, I'll almost get your money back, so you can't beat that.
Speaker 3: Love it if you want a ticket information, Chris has information on his X feet at Think Pitch. I've also reposted it as well on x atlance Percallister. Hey, it is great catching up with you. Love talking baseball with you. Thanks for making time tonight.
Speaker 9: All right, Lace, anytime talk baseball with you. It's always a fun thing to do.
Speaker 2: Thanks Chris, Take care, okay, buddy, all right, there you go.
Speaker 3: Chris Welsh talking baseball doing it. Thursday night, Dave Miley. I got a text from Dave. Why Miley reads my random thoughts each week that I post at seven hundred WLW dot com and then we'll send me his own, which I love, and we go back and forth. And he gave me a suggestion on a place to eat. Trying to pull it up on my phone. Now this is good radio. Hold on, see if I can find it on my phone. Here it is. He told me that Kelly and I must go to the best chicken in Indiana, Saint Leon's Tavern. In fact, he says Murty and Amanda would vouch for that as well. So I'm gonna have to hit Saint Leon Tavern for the Fried Chicken. Thanks to Dave Miley. I love what I love texting back and forth with him. All right, let's do this. Let's open up the phones. I want to talk some Reds. Why we headlined the hour with Chris Welsh. There's news on Emilio Pagan. There's news on Kyle Schwarber. Let's go five one, three, seven four nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred the Big One. It's Rnel Carrier. Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. Seven hundred WLW well Well eight twenty four, seven hundred WLW RNL Charricter Sportstock presented by Kelsey Chevrolet.
Speaker 2: If you missed the show, if you missed.
Speaker 3: H Brandon so earlier from the Mental Game podcast, if you missed Bill Rabinowitz talk at Ohio State Football, are just now missed. Chris Welsh talk and Reds always available in podcast form, those interviews and sports Talk and Bengals Line and the Roundtable Show podcast presented by My Friends Had. Modern Office Methods find it at seven hundred WLW dot com and through the iHeart Radio app. Modern Office Methods your local authorized RICO dealer specializing in document management. With mom your documents are securely stored so you're always protected, digitized today, and prepare your business for unexpected risk. Visit momnet dot com. Shout out to everybody at the mom We love modern office methods. Honored to have them on board and presenting the podcast. Okay, here's the news of the day. Just as the show was beginning at seven o'clock, see Trent Rosecrans of The Athletic reporting the Reds a Emilio Pagan have reached agreement on a two year, twenty million dollar contract. According to the report, there is an option after the first year that is a Emilio Pagan option, So he gets the first year and then that second year he can pick up the option or he could opt out. Two years twenty million in the ballpark of what the now on the closer rate this offseason, it's kind of skyrocketed if you've seen the money. And Bob Nightingale reported that the Reds were had also been interested in Devin Williams, the former Yankees and Brewers closer who signed with the Mets this week. So the Reds get Pegan two years twenty million. He's got an option for that second year, and that's a rather significant piece for a bullpen that has to be rebuilt. Scott Barlow's option decline, Brent Suter's option decline. I wouldn't mind seeing either one of them come back. Nick Martinez is gone. Taylor Rogers, of course, was traded during the season, so Pegan comes back to go with Tony Santion and.
Speaker 2: A few others.
Speaker 3: But clearly that is one of the one of the big points of this offseason rebuilding, reconstructing that bullpen. Now, what I find very interesting in this story from The Athletic is this single sentence from Sea track Ready. He writes, it is the first step by the Reds towards reconstructing their bullpen as they continue their pursuit of Kyle Schwarber. Wait, let me go back and read that it is the first step by the Reds towards reconstructing their bullpen as they also continue their pursuit of Kyle Schwarber. That ties in with the other story of the day from Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic to John Hayman of New York Post and MLB Network, both writing about the Reds. Serious, that's the word serious. Interest in Kyle Schwarber and his interest in possibly coming home. I will read to you from the Athletic Today quote the Reds are serious about signing Kyle Schworber. Whether they can actually pull off such an upset is another matter. Entirely, Schwarber is interested in a possible homecoming, according to people briefed on his thinking. He goes on to write as Ken Rosenthal, the Reds offer him the chance to transform their young lineup and play for one of the one of the game's most respected managers, Terry Francona. The problem for the Reds that the Phillies almost certainly will offer Schwarber more money. We'll get into that in what remains of this hour as well. Let's get into your calls in Fairfield, Andy. You were on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 6: Hey, Alance, real quickcase.
Speaker 10: I know you're up against the clock here, but I listened to way too much MLB network and I wake up to it and Steve, Steve Phillips, this morning was all over. He said, I don't care what you have to do the Reds Andee Schwarber, now is the time, or his words, with the starting pitching we have, with the young players we have he said, you basically have to do whatever it takes to get Shworber. If you have to offer him five years what everybody else was given him four, you do it and you don't worry about the rest of it.
Speaker 6: You'll make the money up in the long run.
Speaker 10: And if they do it and they pay him one point fifty fifty million for five years, I don't know if that Shoorbert territory. I promise I won't call in twenty twenty nine complaining that we spend too much money on.
Speaker 3: Shorebur Yeah, I know, I know what you're saying. I mean, the planets and stars are aligning. You've got the pitching, You've got young guys, and I'll pull out the old adage you got to spend money to make money. And I'd like to see, for once this organization make a bet and say we think he can be a big enough impact on our lineup and on our fan base, we will earn the money back and beyond. We're rolling the dice. Let's do this right.
Speaker 10: And I got to say how much, and I'll let you go after I gets your opinion on it. How much is the francona factor? I'm getting him here.
Speaker 3: Thank you for the call. I I appreciate you checking out. I think it certainly helps. I mean, if you are, if you're Kyle Shoorber, who wouldn't want to play for? And I was I was listening to Spencer Steer earlier on the on the Red Hot Stove talking about what it's like playing for Terry Francona and the respect he has and when he talks people listen, and man, if you're Kyle Schwarber, if you're anybody, and let's start adding this up, going home, playing for Terry Francona, playing for a team on the up, on the rise, arrow pointing up in a ballpark, conducive.
Speaker 2: To your abilities.
Speaker 3: Now again, I'm I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but I file this under I'll believe it when I see it. It just it hasn't been how they operated and if cretainly hasn't been anywhere near their history from a free agent signing standpoint. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't be excited about it. Let's talk more about that. Five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, one eight hundred The Big One RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey chever Life seven hundred WLW Hey, eight thirty nine, seven hundred WLW Hey, Dan Carroll's in at nine tonight. Plenty of ground to cover between now and then. I'm on X Atlance Pacallister. I would be honored if you follow to Long You can keep track of what's going on on the show. You can contribute to the show, join in on our conversations and our discussions during the show, and so much more at Lance Pacallister on X. All Right, before we get back into the Reds, I want to give you a little bit on the Crossdown shootout Friday night, seven thirty right here on seven hundred WILW with Dan and with Terry in the UC broadcast Xavier Call of course on fifty five care see. The Wes Miller Show is tomorrow night. Following us on the Roundtable Show, I'm with Rocky at Long Necks in Wilder Where at Wilder for the rest of the year, throughout the regular season and the playoff run, we will be at the Wilder Long Necks. Hope to see us. Stop by tomorrow night and say hi. At eight o'clock tomorrow night, It'll be the Wes Miller Show. You'll get plenty of reaction and breakdown of the shootout from a UC standpoint, how about Xavier reaction? Now, Richard Patino first year in this thing, and I met with the media earlier today, and of course the question is, you know, preparation for a game like this, the emotions involved in a game like this. Listen to what Richard Patino said about the prep and the emotions involved in the Crossdown shootout.
Speaker 11: As boring as it sounds, on a day to day, we approach it, you know, like any other game. With that being said, you know, we know how passionate our fan base is. We know how passionate their fan base is. We're all so close together, so we totally respect the rivalry and you know the amazing tradition that the game has. Our guys know it, you know, But on a day to day we're not working any harder.
Speaker 6: I can promise you. You see, he is doing the same thing.
Speaker 11: I don't try to make a bigger deal of it as we're scouting, as we're preparing than we would any other opponent. But everybody knows the gravity of the game on both sides.
Speaker 3: You know, we we long for the good old day a lot and certainly when it comes to a game like this and Huggins and Gillan and no handshake and hugs and the black hat approach to a game like this. And I'm always fascinated by as long as I've been here since ninety seven, I'm always fascinated by how the new coaches, what they say going into a game like this, and what they say coming out of a game like this after they experience for the first time, because you can be told about it, but not until you're actually in it, does it.
Speaker 2: Really hit you.
Speaker 3: I remember having this conversation with that when he was at Xavier of what he thought going in versus in that moment that like, holy crap, this thing is intense. Listen to what Richard Patino said earlier today when asked about if he has researched the history of this, if he's attempted to teach his players about the crossdown shootout.
Speaker 11: No, I'm treating it like I would any other game. I mean, these are guys. They don't care about what happened in nineteen eighty. I wish they would, but they're young. They're young players. I mean, they don't you know what we taught we don't talk about, oh, ten years ago, this is what happened.
Speaker 2: Those guys just don't care. I mean, that's this young generation.
Speaker 11: What we just talk about is how can we beat uc which is going to be a very, very tough task. Again, I don't want to like gloss over it like it's not a big deal. It's certainly a big game and a huge opportunity for us in the building. But what happened in the past that would just totally blow over their heads.
Speaker 3: Richard Patino earlier today, and that's kind of the reality of today, certainly in college basketball. He Zavier's got twelve new guys. Who knows about shootout? Turnover on both teams, turnovers on every team. In college basketball, there isn't the ingrained grow year to year, spend three or four five years in a program, us play summer ball against the other guys, and then go to b on the shootout and it's knocked down, drag out. I'm not saying it will be emotionless on Friday night, but it's just it's just different. It's not going to go back to the way many want the shootout to be. Man there have been some moments, Holy cow, have been there have been some moments. Listen to Richard earlier today when he was asked about, you know, if he prepares his team for the emotions that are coming Friday night at Centas Center.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, I think whether it's at Iowa home, we don't make a big deal out of the external things that we can't control. Like do our players know that it's going to be a big crowd in the sentas And of course they do, you know, I mean they're all on.
Speaker 2: Social media and all those things.
Speaker 11: But what would I say to them, Oh, there, it's gonna be sold out, and it's gonna be I mean, you got to play the right way, regardless of an empty arena on the road, neutral site sold out, Like, you gotta play the way we're doing. So, you know, maybe you talk to them about don't let your emotions take over and things like that, you know, just try to lock in on the next play.
Speaker 3: I would submit. It is one thing to say that, and it's one thing to say whether it's playing at Iowa or a neutral I get saying it. I think until you live it, you don't understand it. And I think that will be for him and players on both sides because in that moment Thursday night, when the ball goes up, the emotions and the electricity in that place. And I've heard Richard defer a lot of the shootout this week too, how much it means to the fans.
Speaker 2: There's no question about what it means to the fans.
Speaker 4: I just.
Speaker 3: Wait till Friday night. If there's any player on either side that wonders about the vibe for.
Speaker 2: This game is what I would say. All right, back to the Reds.
Speaker 3: I thought about this on Amelio Pagan and the contract two years twenty million, Okay, doable. I mean if you look at the market right now this offseason in free agency, the closer market blown up. I mean Devin Williams signed for three years forty five million. I think it bumped up to fifty one. Three years fifty one with the Mets, Ryan Helsley of the Orioles two years twenty eight. Raycella Galacia has resigned with the Braves one year sixteen. The Reds get Pegan for two years at twenty and it's a player option for the second year. Now, I'm not saying he's Devin Williams or Ryan Helsley or rycellagalasis, but there's no question he's good. My only hesitation with Emelio Pagan and this is what I said. This was one of our questions the offseason. My hesitation with Pegan is twofold. One part of me wonders, if not fears, they've already got the best out of Amelia Pegan. He's thirty five. He had a career year. That makes me leary of paying him for what's to come.
Speaker 2: That's more.
Speaker 3: You know, what he did is one thing, but this organization's got to pay on what he's going to do.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying he's gonna blow up.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying his track record is that was his best season, and there have been It's kind of been a roller coaster, a bit spotty at times. And earned run average was two eighty eight. He struck out thirty percent of batters. He did blow six saves. The deeper metrics FIP, which is fielding independent pit is kind of a complicated thing, indicates he got a little lucky. His earned run average should have been about a run higher almost. That's a little bit of a concern, But two years twenty million is not outrage, is my other thought, and especially considering he probably opts out after the first year. So one year at ten now that's not that's not going to break a bank. But the other part of the equation that I wonder about. We were told their payroll was going to be similar to last year, and that leaves them in the neighborhood of about twenty million to play with this season. So if you've given ten million to Pegan right out of the shoot with your first signing, by that theory, my butler math says, you've got ten million left.
Speaker 2: So how's that gonna work?
Speaker 3: Because you still need that elusive bat Air quotes a couple of more relievers and to round out this roster. I'm not I'm not against Pegant two years twenty million. I think that's that's doable, But I wonder what it leaves them in terms of work to do and money to spend doing that. I'm fascinated by that line by C. Trent and Ken Rosenthal that the line was reconstruct the bullpen and continue their pursuit of Kyle Schwarber. It didn't say they've signed Emilia Pegan two years twenty million, all but closing the door on spending for the roster the rest of the off season, or limiting them to just ten million to play with the rest of the off season. It said to continue their pursuit of Kyle Schwarber. So what are we to take that to mean that they might be ready to swing and swing big beyond what Nick Krawl was initially told. Has there been a recalculation, reconfiguring a thought that well, you know what, if we run it back at the same payroll, we're not going to be good enough. And how are our fans going to respond to that in terms of tickets and support? You know, the Athletic predicts Schwarber gets five years, one hundred and forty five million. That's the projection from the Athletic five years, one hundred and forty five million. That's just under thirty million a year. And Nick said they had about twenty million to spend. So how does the math work? Rosenthal writes. Schwarber, coming off a career high fifty six home run season, will cost considerably more than that annually, and the Reds would still need to fortify their bullpen. They could trade utility man Gavin Lux, projected to earn five million in arbitration, and maybe another player in a similar range salary, But unless they made an exception for Schwarber, it's difficult to see how they can make the finances work. That's why I say I believe it when I see it. Rosenthal goes on to write, Schwarber, who turns thirty three in March, is probably looking at his last big contract. He's unlikely to give the Reds much of a hometown discount, if any, and expect the Mets and the Red Sox and others to be involved the Reds appeal. He writes, Well, they improve from seventy seven to eighty three wins under Francona. With the exception of Brady Singer. Every member of their talented rotation is under team control beyond this season, and most of their best position players are under control through at least twenty twenty eight. Stick Schoorber in that lineup as the DH and the entire group might take off, writes Ken Rosenthal. Over the past four seasons, the how many players have hit more home runs than Schworber one Aaron Judge, and Rosenthal concludes in The Athletic Today, to the Reds, it's all rather tantalizing Schworber, as much as he loves playing for the Phillies, probably is intrigued.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 3: But in free agency, sentiment rarely carries the day. Money matters most, and it's difficult to foresee the Reds coming up with enough they would have to change the way they do business. The most they've ever spent on an outside free agent in the history of the franchise. Hear me when I say this, forget about Junior Junior. They traded for the most money they have given somebody else's free agent to come here, sixty four million dollars. That was to Mike Mustakas, and that was to Nick Costianos. And the Costianos deal came with an opt out for him after the second year, which he did. So you're you're talking of, if you if you really believe they're going to change their mo Do you believe they're going to go from giving Mustakas sixty four million and Costiano's sixty four million and suddenly say yeah, let's go for it. Let's swing big, Kyle Schwarber, here's five years, one hundred and fifty million.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: I will believe it when I see it. It's fun, it's exciting, it's like offseason fantasy baseball conversation.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to see it.
Speaker 3: If I could use the Marvin Lewis I see better than I hear down the stretch, We'll go. RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevale seven hundred WLW. Hey shout out to Cyclones forward Ryan Kerwin. He is the ECHL Rookie of the Month, first Cyclone to be awarded Rookie of the Month in the ECHL since Joe Howe in January of the twenty thirteen to twenty fourteen season. Kerwin is twenty three years old. He leads all ECHL rookies with nine goals. He's got eight assists, leads the Cyclones in goals. He's second in points. He is currently on assignment from the Toronto Merleys of the AHL. The way he's playing, he will not be here long. Cyclones are rolling now. They're second in the division, climbing the standings. They're five and one in overtime, most overtime wins in the EHL, two more than anybody else. They are in Indy to take on the Indie Fuel on Friday Night. Ryan Kerwin, you're ECHL Rookie of the Month and this date in sports, let's go with a Cincinnati note. This date in nineteen eighty nine, Bengals beat the Browns twenty one zip in Cleveland, the Bengals first shutout in nine years spanning one hundred and forty eight games. Tim McGee holding a thirty eight yard touchdown pass from Boomer on a flea flicker that included James Brooks. With that, I am done and we got a lot in tonight. I still could have used the third hour, but we got a lot in tonight. Thanks to Joe one L four producing. Thanks to you for taking a Listen again. Podcast available shortly Brandon Seo from the Mental Game podcast Bill Rabinowitz on the Buckeyes. Bill said, let's do it again in the playoff run, I said, absolutely, Chris Welsh talking Reds, and you heard from Richard Patino as well. Let's hear some news and then Dan Carroll. This has been Arnel Carrier Sports to presented by Kelsey Chervellet seven hundred WLW