Speaker 1: I want to be an American idiot got put on seven hundred WW.
Speaker 2: So what's the state of Ohio taking away from you today?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yesterday it was THC drinks, you know, because that's killed in a lot of people share today. How about some higher taxes. Are you a fan of higher taxes. I'm a big fan of higher taxes. So the Ohio legislature, the General Assembly, is moving to tax you, mister and missus homeowner if you decide that you're going to rent out your home like Airbnb or Verbo for a few days. Seems to me like a raw deal, you know, new taxes. There's no protections in here. Local governments can still ban you from doing entirely. Doesn't feel like free enterprise to me. Joining the show from the Buckeye Institute in Columbus is Greg Laws and Greg.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: We have this, as you know, being in Ohio, you know we have this insane property tax burden going on right now, some people paying three hundred percent more property taxes. There's a move to eliminate property taxes entirely. And now this is this a good idea?
Speaker 3: Well, it's certainly not a good idea to just tax people. There's an argument that in some areas that don't have like as many hotels, especially some rural areas, that they still have what they call visitor and bureau visitor bureau conventions that with tourism, that they that there may be a need for something. But the concern we have is that there are several bills out there, and one of them, in particular, unfortunately, House Bill one sixty one, is just a tax bill. It just applies the logic tax to an airbnb or verbo or any of these short term rentals. But it does nothing about what is a growing problem in Ohio, which is that local governments are oftentimes preventing people from doing it. They're putting bands on airbnbs and verbos. That's something that is happening under the home rules stuff. I think we've talked about them earlier before, and and we think that's a terrible situation. Uh So, you know, I'll tell you this, You can't just flat tax on something and then just give keep government with the power to just continue to stand things. It really is violating people's personal property rights. And we think that's the bad idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess your local municipality.
Speaker 1: If you have a problem with the your HOA can ban people from doing that, and you sign your rights away when you do that. You buy property there. Here's the rules. You want to move there or not. Okay, I can't buy round. You know, I own rental property. There's someone's I own that that are part of an HOA where you can't rent them out. Okay, fine, great, but I knew that going ahead of time, coming back and then taxing people for something they're already paying taxes on seems criminal to me. You're already paying the property tax. I got to pay you more tax because I'm renting it out.
Speaker 3: Well, the argument is that you have hotels that already have these taxes that are applying to them, and I and the hotels have have for a long time made the case that with the advent of all these new things short term rentals, that they're being taxed and that's but that's essentially an unfair competition, and that it's making sure that they don't have the revenue to go back into again some of these various marketing things and stuff that happens in different counties for tourism. So that's the argument that's there. And you know, first of all, we don't like new taxes.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 3: It's always been against new taxes. But what I testified last week took committee on this in the Ohio House Representatives. The argument that we made is we certainly don't like taxes if you're not going to make sure that people are protecting And I think this is the thing that it's so to me, we just about what's happening across the high most governments is these bands. I get people are worried about having a party house in their neighborhoods that isn't under control. And there's several things that deal with this. First of all, you can still have and should still be able to have local loosen flaws and things that kind of people are doing crazy stuff or you know, having animal house happening and you know next door to you. You know, there's ways to address it. By the way, folks like Airbnb have policies for the platform where if you start doing things like that, you're renting it out and you maybe one time you can get away with it. But you know, it's like I think it's like a three times in you're out sort of thing where if this is a recurring pattern and you're not taking responsibility in your neighborhood with your property. You can't use their platform anymore to rent it out. So we have protections for people. We shouldn't be banning them, but we certainly shouldn't be taxing people and then not guaranteeing that you still can have the right to do what you want to with your ro.
Speaker 1: From Yeah, I want to circle back on the zero protection argument that you made there, Greg Lawson, and I think that's true. You know, we have nuisance laws in Cincinnati and I could never figure this out. Is if you own property in Cincinnati and you rent it out and people are you know, either Airbnb or verbal or just rental just you know, regular rental, long term rail, short timroil, if those people are causing a problem and then you know, causing the neighborhood maybe racing up and down the street, or there's trash all over the place, or playing loud music right there, nuisance, the city of Cincinnati makes somehow the landlord eventually responsible for that. Like no, if you're an adult and you're running property and you are doing stuff like that, that that that that's on the city that's on law enforcement to cite that person that shouldn't be on the landlord. I mean, if they're in there dealing drugs and I know about it may be a different story. But if they're just a nuisance, that's the individual's responsibility. I you know, I don't get a ticket speeding ticket because you know my son uses my car, let's say. And that was the argument with speed cameras obviously, is you're citing me for something I can't control.
Speaker 2: That's that's on them. Give them the ticket.
Speaker 3: We should the people who are doing the offense of people. That should be right. Both that's the law and that's exactly right. That's what should happen. Now if you're if you're again doing this on an ongoing basis where you're not taking care of that the people that you have coming in and this is a an isolated incident that's happening all the time, I think there may be a little bit of a different argument there because at that point you are sort of not taking the responsibility with your own property at that point, and then you are having an effort impact from your neighbors and stuff. But the point that it is disturbing about this is when when you make these blank determinations by the local governments just not doing which is actually, I think really remarkable. We need to because you mentioned earlier we have this profit tax issue here, and we have local governments who should be scared quite a bit about the prospects of that making the ballot. Whether it does or not, nobody can say for sure at this point because they haven't submitted signatures for this constitucial mekema. But if that happens, you never believe they're going to want to have some revenue. But you're gonna have a hard time having revenue by the time you start fanning everybody from being able to do those things. It just makes no sense from so many different perspectives.
Speaker 2: Well, what is it great?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 2: Where does it end?
Speaker 1: I mean, like, if I'm I use my house, let's say, for my small business, do I have to pay an extra tax there?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: My my spouse is really good, makes sour dough bread, and she's them some soured oat bread.
Speaker 2: Do I have to?
Speaker 1: I mean, where do win with the taxation here? I'm already paying the damn property taxes, We're you're too damn high. And now if I rent it out, I've got to pay even more. You mentioned to zero protections for the whole What does that mean the zero protection area.
Speaker 3: Well, we're basically saying that people have the right to be able to make decisions with what they want to do with their property. Obviously with the reason you know, you know, there are certain things where you can't let your property go to the hell and a hand askt and stuff of that nature. But this whole notion, and it's happening in jurisdiction after jurisdiction where they can come in and stop it. And I harp on this point because this is not isolating. What this isn't one or two jurisdictions, and it isn't just one or two places in the state. Really, it's all over the state the proportion, So it's not it's not just a regional phenomenon. And this is the problem that I see, which is local government, you know, kind of running them off with these things. Yeah, it's a it's actually a much bigger issue. I mean, there's there's a whole bunch of problems frankly with local government Inhia, and I think I've molmented some of those in the past your show and probably will again we're on the same page, and this is just one more example of it. So you know, again, UH, there's some bills that are out there, by the way, UH that would have some degree, would would maybe do the tax, but would include prohibitions and preempt local governments from being able to do the banning of the short term rentals.
Speaker 2: How does how does local How does the home rule apply there?
Speaker 3: Though, well, I'm sure they'll sue uh and make an argument that that's violation. But if it's written the right way, the legislature does have the ability to write laws that are of statewide applicability. Now that's a will. Sometimes it's been in the eye of beholder, and there's been a lot of push and pull, frankly between the General Assembly and local governments, especially in recent years, over many different things. There's been Second Amendment issues, there's been issues like plastic bags, UH, some jurisdictions way into band cracking, and so there's all these various things that have happened.
Speaker 2: We've made the.
Speaker 3: Case of the buck I speak, that the general simply had the right to be able to do preemption because if you allow all these locals to prevent all sorts of different activity. Short term rentals, it's certainly one of them. But you know, we're seeing this with data centers too now coming out, so we're seeing a lot of these things, and the general simply has acted in the past to say no, you can't do that. They and we think that under certain circumstances that is an appropriate thing, because what you end up with is you end up with a you know, it's sort of a little bit of a joke to say it this way, but it's a crazy patchwork of different regulations and US terurisdictions. But that makes it hard to do different things. And it's one of the problems Ohio has, and it's a mid Western state issue in general because of sort of the history there. But when you look at southern states and you look at Western states, and you look at things that are really growing with populations that are really expanding. You know, you can talk about the weather and stuff, and I'm sure that has some degree of influence, but it's taxes. It's regulations and kind of taxes and regulations now are worse at the local level than they are at the state level. Well, that is something that she needs to deal with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look at it this way.
Speaker 1: Kathy Hochele, governor in New York State, she went on Camp Patriot said, hey, listen, you know, if you're if you're a billionaire, if you've got all this money, uh, we don't want you here unless you're gonna pay your fair share. Well, guess what I just saw a study where a huge number of them have moved to Texas, cal I think Arizona, California, some some of California, don't know why, but to Texas primarily. And now she's she's begging those people to come back because they you know, she guys said, I'm gonna screw you when it comes to Texas.
Speaker 2: You should be paying your fair share.
Speaker 1: Well guess what liberal Democrat or conservative Republican aside, they all moved out of the state and now they don't have enough money to pay for their what it is they want to do. The same thing would apply here. I mean Indiana, Florida and Arizona also do this as well, where they blocked local short term rental bands in Ohio wants to be next by the way, Greg law since here from Buckeye Institute in Columbus, as the state of Ohio yesterday took the THG drinks away. Today higher taxes at the top of the insane property tax were paying. Now, if you want to rent out your home of a weekend as someone, they want to tax you and there's no protections there for you, basically meaning they're going to tax the activity and not protect your right to do it. And you know you could pay taxes today and face a local band tomorrow in your state or in your township municipality. HOA is different because that's part of the deal when you buy something in an HOA. But Greg Lawson, I can't help but think back to all of these seismic shifts, these change agents that happened in the world back in the day when Uber and Lyft came along. I remember tax I remember the cab drivers Like at CBG at the airport, we're up an arms saying wait, well, hold on just a second. If you have these independent people coming in not panting tax they're not paying all these fees and fares, what about they wanted to protect their industry. I think the same thing is happening here with the rentals. This has got to be the hotel motel industry that pays an exorbitant amount of taxes, Like every time we raise a tax, well, we'll just add to the luxury check. We'll just add to the hotel motel tax on this. And when you get a hotel night for I don't know, one hundred and fifty bucks, you get the bill and it's like, you know, almost two hundred dollars are probably more than two hundred because of the taxes added on here. I feel for the established businesses like hotels motels in this case taxes, I mean New York City alone, the price of a hack medallion, which basically is a transferable physical license plate that's a round circle to medallion and they attach it to the hood of a yellow cab in New York the cost of one of those medallions is now over a million dollars. So from a business perspective, it doesn't seem fair that they're competing with uber and left drivers who don't have to pay that exorbitant tax.
Speaker 2: I think this is the same model.
Speaker 3: Well, I think this is a broad that's a big question about taxation and what's a fair tax where everybody is and when you're nailing certain people, they're going to get very upset about the new entrance into the marketplace, and so they're gonna you know, they prefer them to you know, not enter the marketplanes, but they certainly want them to do that. And that's just where you start hearing about the level playing field argument, which on one hand is correct. That's an economic theory. It says it it's a right thing to do is to make sure that people that are similar kinds of businesses aren't being disproportionately impacted one versus another because of a specific rule or in taxation. You want it to be fair across the board. And so that's certainly the argument they're using. And I think you have to look at what are we doing with these revenues. I mean, we've had lodging tetch for a while, and unfortunately it's a sort of scene that the Sophiallo counters like kind of right, because what you're essentially saying is we're going to raise the revenue on the backs of people who don't necessarily live so that we can do that. Now, you know, I mean they that is, I mean, Florida certainly does do that with some of their taxes and stuff, because they have a lot of tourism and stuff. That comes through there. Uh, and so I get what the rationale is, but we need to be really careful how we think about this. And when we're doing this, and you occasionally see bills and or things and budget builds and stuff, they'll had an additional thing for one visitor Beuera overs another visitors bureau. And I'm not trying to just brag on them. They can't help to raise awareness, to get it, do certain things to build the infrastructure to bring in concert or conferences or what are sporting events and stuff like that, and so there may be sum rationale for some of that, but we need to be very careful when we're applying this and then when we start ap playing it to new people, we need to really think about what we're doing and how we're spending the existing resources that we have.
Speaker 1: Greg Laws and Buckeye and watch out for it. It's House Bill one sixty one, come in for more property taxes. Basically what this is all the best, Thanks again, Budd, appreciate.
Speaker 3: You, Thank you.
Speaker 1: We'll get a news update in here momentarily on the big one seven hundred w Ody. This is why I wake up in the morning and to see how we're going to get screwed the next day and then talk to you about it. Coming up next, Andy Schaeffer, we'll look at the other side of this thing. If you're hearing this, go oh, it's too much. Hold on just a second. I got some information for it. It's going to make you a little bit happier today, despite all the craziness in the world.
Speaker 2: Simply money. Next seven hundred ww