Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David basseying for Dodger Talker. Well, the most popular guy at Dodger Stadium today is wearing that Marlins teal. And that's former Dodger first base coach who was here for the first of two back to back championships and also as part of the Dodger organization since twenty fifteen, second year as the Marlins manager. And that's the nice bronze tannd Florida man himself, Clayton Clton McCullough. Clayton, thanks a lot for the time, David, It's.
Speaker 2: Great to see you again, and thanks for having me on and you spending a little time and those kind words. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Well, congratulations and all the success, and it's great to see how loved you still are by so many in the Dodger organization.
Speaker 2: I mean it is I know for certain that I wouldn't be sitting here now and have the opportunity that I have without the time that I spent this organization and the time room with Dave Roberts and Andrew Friedman, Brandon Gomes, all the players and coaches. So I know how fortunate I was to have been part of this oranization for ten years and to spend a lot of time in player development and get some time here on the major league staff. So yeah, a lot of people that I still hold in very high regard and respect how they go about it. And yeah, I have a lot of great memories here, and you know, now the other uniform. I come here to try to win a series.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering we talked last year, but how much of that version of Clayton McCullough is part of this version leader of men managing a team.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of it. A lot of anything you go through helped shape what you've become and continue to become. So I know I has to have a long way to go as far as refining my leadership abilities, But a lot of what I draw from are the experience in people I was around here. I mean watching Dave operate with everything that he has on his plate, and how cool he is and how he allows his staffs to just go operate and go coach and go get guys better. So I've tried to emulate as best as I can that here. So yeah, I mean there's a dino evil probably one of the he helped me out so much in the four years here, so having Dino just kind of show me the way a little bit, and so his preparation. No one works as hard as him, So I think, you know, just try to take pieces from all those that I was around and had the fortune to spend time with and now' you know, kind of make them my own with what you know, how I'm going about doing things now, all.
Speaker 1: Right, before we get to the Marlins and what you're doing now to lead this franchise back. You were a big part of the Dodgers twenty four success, winning the first of a back to back championship. You were so big in the base running game for the Dodgers. Were you watching this year's World Series? Where were you when Miguel Rojas hid his life saving Dodger home run?
Speaker 2: I did watch it. I'll say that was the only game that I watched in the postseason, and we figured Game seven, I'm gonna turn it on and I was in my living room on the couch when Mickey row hit that Homer Hoffman. I did myself. Son, Kyle, we all jumped up, like you know, I mean, Mickey's the best, and I think, you know, for everyone you didn't mean you know how important a moment like you know that is for everyone involved. So I was incredibly happy for him, all my you know friends here, and if anybody was gonna win the World Series it wasn't us, then, you know, I was. I was hoping it'd be them.
Speaker 1: Is that a teaching moment even for your young Marlins to realize that Miggy Rowe had not had a start until Game six, did not hit a home run in almost a month. Is that a teaching moment that you can use with this young team to always be ready for your opportunity.
Speaker 2: I think that's you. I think you hit it on the head. It is be ready for your opportunity, you know, I mean you'd be ready, you know, do what you have to do to get ready because when your moment, your moment's gonna come, you know, and all you can do is did you prepare yourself the best to go take advantage of your moment? So you know, we have it here. We have guys that start, some don't start, come off the bench, pinch hit, and so it's just you know, the challenge is with younger players, but just understanding that and I have to do what I think is best for our team, want a given day to win right, and then just hope that you know, our players understand you know what when my name is called for whatever it is. All I asked that is you're prepared and understand this is a hard game and the results won't always match. But if you're prepared for that opportunity and moment, then you know, I'll continue to give you shots.
Speaker 1: It seemed like the Marlins started to gain some momentum at the end of last year and it's continued to start this year. How were you able to continue that wave into the beginning of this season.
Speaker 2: I think we would just try myself at coaching staff and players trying to be incredibly consistent each day with with how we approached that day and not to get not to get wrapped up in what other people thought we were gonna be we're supposed to be. It's like, no, we We're gonna go out there and continue to get better every day, and we're gonna treat you know, today in this game is the most important, and you know what, tomorrow we got to go do it again. And you know, it's very easy to ride the roller coaster in the major leagues of losing in losing street winning streak. So I was just trying to prepare and very similar manner coach teach, And I think as the season went along, a lot of our guys called some winding their sales and really started to take off. We started playing much better handling the things that we could control, and we finished very well. And you know, this year, we came into it expecting, we thought we'd have a you know, a nice team and be able to build off of that, and I think at this point we have and we still have a long way to go with you know, you know, our group and ORG just you know, continue to get better on a lot of fronts to give ourselves a chance year and you're out to compete for you know, our division in postseason berths.
Speaker 1: It sounds like what Clayton McCullough, the Marlins manager, just described was the way that your mindset was, and the mindset is for the Dodgers you can only control today.
Speaker 2: That was probably the I tell you, if I asked what was it like over there and what do you take away? And that for me was the biggest takeaway is that you know, every series there wasn't a circle on the calendar and it's this series in June, or this one in May or this one in August. Like we're just gonna come out, We're gonna mount be ready to play that game and do it the same way. Because there was a there was a standard of what it took to win the last game of the season. You have to always be reflecting on you know, are you holding yourself and playing to those standards? You know, even if you're winning, you know, it doesn't mean it's great, it doesn't mean it's good enough. So I think trying to bring that here that when we're when we win a game, when we lose a game, we're gonna take moments within that game and dissect them talk about them because that's how we're It's the only way we can continue to get better. And so when you get in the postseason, everything matters. So the regular season shouldn't be any different.
Speaker 1: Hey, Clayton McCullough still keeps his T shirts in the dryer extras medium so he shows his players who's the.
Speaker 2: Boss, right, Yeah, yes, you called me out. It is it's a medium shirt now, David.
Speaker 1: How about me, skinny fat still or do you feel like a little bit more on the fatter side.
Speaker 2: No, David, you look great.
Speaker 1: See that's how he gets his players to buy in. He makes them believe, Hey, it's great to see you. You always were one of the great people to be around, and I feel like that's why your players respond to you now with the Marlins as the manager, because your genuine personality gets people to want to follow and you could be the best. But if nobody follows, you're a lonely guy. But Clayton mccull is an easy guy to follow. So thank you for the time and great to see you.
Speaker 2: Great, David, thanks for having me. Great catching up with you, and you're the best.