Speaker 1: And an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. He's back. Keyk Hernandez is back tonight, starting at third base for the Dodgers, his first major League game since Game seven of last year's World Series. Key K, thanks a lot for the time. I know they really wore you out earlier, so I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 3: I guess, yeah, I'm excited to be here talking to you about baseball again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We've seen you out here for every home stand taking ground balls at third base, but obviously you knew you weren't going to play in those games. So now that it's arrived, can you describe your feelings on your opening night.
Speaker 3: I'm excited, man, I was kind of worried because in Triple A I wasn't really Guys would ask me, are you excited to be back playing?
Speaker 2: I was like, ah, not really.
Speaker 3: But then yesterday I was, you know, at the airport, and I'd be walking just thinking about being back and all that thing, and I would catch myself smiling. So yeah, I'm definitely excited, a little bit of nervous jitters. So, you know, feeling pretty pretty excited to be back, and you know, pretty happy to be back on the baseball grind.
Speaker 1: Those feelings must remind you how much you love this game still, because if you didn't have them, then maybe your time with this game is over.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, definitely.
Speaker 3: I always have a hard time finding the balance because we all know that October's though the actual the games that excite me. But uh, you know, I battle with my brain and I lie to myself to to feel excited.
Speaker 2: But now you know it.
Speaker 3: Just it feels like you're always getting those nervous jitters in spring training and this or not in spring training opening day, and this feels like it. So I'm excited, excited to be back. I have a dilemma now, I don't know what song to use as a walk up song. I haven't thought about it, so I need to figure that out right now before game time.
Speaker 2: And yeah, just happy to be back.
Speaker 1: Can you give us a preview of the three that you may be thinking of? Absolutely not, Okay, I was worried about you in Oklahoma City. I did send you a text because I was concerned that you were on a minor league rehab assignment for that long at Triple A. So how did you deal with being in the minors for so long again for the first time in a long time.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you mean, man, I you know, I was just there playing. Like I told the guys, they have a great group of guys there, so my three weeks would have felt a lot longer. But you know, I had a great time with those guys, you know, just bonding, talking baseball, getting to know them a little better. They have a really a lot of really good players on that team. And Ei, there's something that I didn't know. Albuquerque has a huge Doctor fan base.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: That was very overwhelming. I felt like I couldn't leave my hotel room.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I used to be their Triple A affiliate back in the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah I knew that.
Speaker 3: But you know, that doesn't mean that they're going to be Dodger fans. But I learned that the hard way. It was very humbling. There was a lot of fans at the games, you know, I felt like a home game in a way, And yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: It was cool to see KK.
Speaker 1: You talked about earlier with the media, just your responsibility in the clubhouse now and how you're one of the leaders that kind of check guys when they need to be checked what was it like being the veteran at Triple A for some of these young guys that have gotten their taste want to get their chance. What was it like for you to kind of be a mentor in that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 3: It's the first time in my life I've been the oldest guy on the team, so that was different. In Albuquerque, actually everybody, everybody's birthday would go up in the Joan boutron and that was that was not very nice.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Those guys love baseball, man, they love baseball and they love asking questions.
Speaker 2: And for me, that's what it's all about.
Speaker 3: As a younger guy, it's sometimes it's hard to like, you know, go out of your way and like to grab a guy and like tell them what to do. For me, it's a lot easier when the guy comes in and asks questions. And those guys are very receptive and they asked a lot of questions, which is a good thing.
Speaker 2: You know. It got to open up. And like I said, they had.
Speaker 3: A great group of guys, especially on the position players side.
Speaker 2: They have some really really good players and it was fun to see.
Speaker 3: I got to see River pitch again and river looks the same river that we saw in twenty twenty four, so that's very exciting, And yeah, it was. It was a lot of fun, man, it was. I didn't necessarily play great, but I had a lot of fun those three weeks.
Speaker 1: All third base. They didn't really move you around too much.
Speaker 3: I played one game in center in Albuquerque and the wind was so bad that I felt like I never played outfield in my life.
Speaker 2: And then the last.
Speaker 3: Game in Albuquerque, I was supposed to d h but in the minor leagues there's no cage on the road, so you kind of have to stay loose, and Dodgers didn't want me to do that, so I played second game second base. In that game, no balls got hit to me, so it was like I didn't play.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well, at least you're prepared tonight. You're starting at third base for Max Munsey, who's still dealing with his right wrist. And the one thing that I was curious about with your elbow, the hitting was the biggest issue. When did you know that you could trust it mentally physically that you could just let it rip again.
Speaker 3: Once I started swinging again and it wasn't like I didn't have any of the of the pain basically in my setup, because that was like from the get go. It was It wasn't just when my swing started. It was in my setup, which was the worst, probably the worst part, because it just got me thinking more about the pain than anything. I could probably deal with the pain if it was just when I was swinging, because you're so focused on the pitch and all that that. You know, it's kind of like a something that comes and goes. But for me, it was just holding the bat was the problem because you need the extensors to hold the bad and that was that was the main problem. I wasn't just trying to battle the picture, but I was battling myself. But you know, just being able to swing pain free is uh, you know, probably probably not going to be show hey, but I'm probably gonna be better than I was last year. And for me, it's just enjoying the game and having fun playing baseball. And when I'm in that much pain, I couldn't really have fun. So I'm looking forward to having fun playing baseball again.
Speaker 1: Well, I speak for the city of la and Dodger fans. The Dodgers aren't the Dodgers without Keith k Hernandez, and it's going to be special when you step in that batter's box tonight for the first time. I am completely expecting a standing ovation because that's how much the city loves you and appreciates everything, your spirit, everything you've done for the team. So enjoy it tonight and we're all happy you're back.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dave, that's really nice of you. Thank you.