Speaker 1: Well, well, happy New Year to you. An ugly Liverty Bowl experience for the football bear Cats thirty five thirteen Navies midshipman handling them relatively easily. How you doing? It's sterling sick for a second New Year's in a row, hopped up on goofballs and Nike will and we'll try to get this out of our systems. You know, let's do this. I would like to open up the phones immediately if we can. And what I would like to do is see exactly where people stand and feel about this Cincinnati football bear Cat team. And you know, you talk about the portal, You talk about guys being able to go from one school to another and better their situation and have really the ability to move like a lot of us in the regular world of going to make some money and make the most money we can for the work that we do. And certainly that's what these young college athletes are doing. But you get a quarterback who you know, bounces out because there's opportunity to go somewhere else. I have a lot of questions about the inner workings of how that plays. Does that mean that the future school that they may be going to once they enter the portal has reached out to them or their management and said, hey, we're looking for you and we're gonna bring you know whatever amount of cash money to you. And then you kind of go, all right, well, i don't need to be there for that bowl game. I'm moving on up or in this situation. And coaches have been doing it for a long time. Cincinnati's dealt with that too, And what was interesting to hear Dan Horde and you know, you know, think about that with Tony Pike and you hear not so much of it, and be interested to hear coaches show about this because a lot of people hating on Saturfy like it's his fault. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But what is wild to me is you look at this and you kind of go, I guess the regular season is the regular season, and then you get to boll time, and unless you're in a top tier college football playoff bowl scenario or something like that, or the school's already backed up the truck forverbially speaking, to give you whoever it is that is looking to bounce a way to stay because they're going to bring them more love when it comes to cash money. Because that's what this is all about. Then, I don't know how you navigate this. And what was interesting is during the broadcast is they're talking about Navy, and they talk about Army, and they're talking about the military teams in general. Those guys don't have the portability because they're in the military. They may be going to school, they may be student athletes, but in the end, they're still in a situation where effectively they're on the hook for whatever amount of years that they're giving up to serve this nation in a uniform in some capacity. And UC doesn't have that luxury. Kentucky doesn't have that luxury. Indiana, who continues to play on in the College Football Playoff, does not have that luxury. No one else but these military teams. So that's an interesting wrinkle to it. Five one, three, seven, four, ninety seven, eight hundred, the big one. You can pick up the phone, give it the finger, as mister k used to say, go old friend of mine. You can talk back on the iHeartRadio app. We have a lot of ground to cover. Later on, by the way, we'll talk to Chick Ludwig. We'll break down the Bengals game as they wrap up their season. We'll talk a little bit more about portability and how the college game has been forever changed, at least until they do something different, I suppose is the best way to look at that. We'll also talk to uc Helse doctor Christine O'Shea about living better in the new year and getting healthy and navigating perhaps what is an extended long holiday hit the bottle kind of over celebration situation in the new year that is just a baby twenty twenty six, as well as the flu season, which I do not know if I have the flu or not. I called the doctor and they were like, don't come here, go to the urgent care, which sort of defeats the purpose of having, you know, a doctor is sort of the way I look at it. So we'll talk to her about that as well. Doctor Dona Schlit going to join us former out of political science at Right State talk about the terrorist attack that was foiled thanks to the FBI. She wrote the first textbook on terrorism, so we'll get into her head about the threat and how much greater or not as great as it is in the past and in the United States, and the danger that is out there. So in the meantime, give you a chance to sound off about those football Bearcats, about this Bowl loss thirty five thirteen to Navy West Side. David is first Jay after that in Room for You, and again the number seven four nine, seven, eight hundred, the big one was Sterling, David, I appreciate your patience. Happy New Year, and how about those football Bearcats.
Speaker 2: Happy new Year, Sterling, loveless Dentilia and just right when you started it got me five. I'm a season ticket older for both basketball and football, and uh, I just basically have gotten to the point where I keep telling and Joko and my friends were, we're mediocre. We're just happy to be okay, and I'm tired of its.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's the right way to live.
Speaker 2: I know I agree with it. And we we're Cincinnati, for God's sakes. We've got we you know. Brian Kelly and uh Luke Fickle put us back on the map. Bob Huggins put us on the map, and Luke and Nick Crony kind.
Speaker 3: Of kept us there.
Speaker 2: And I don't know what this athletic director and Pinto on down. They just don't care and they don't realize that sports, Yes, academics drive at university but shoot me, academics drive university with sports really drives it because of the reputation and that I'm I'm I'm so depressed. I'm just tired of just sucking.
Speaker 1: I really wasn't trying to bring it down, but it is. It's a difficult circumstance that we're all sort of navigating. What I wonder is this because I mean, here's a football program at the University of Cincinnati. It's only been in the Big twelve a little while. They've got to navigate trying to find players and bring them in to say, hey, we're trying to get to the next level in the Big twelve and there and they're having to compete with everybody else. So I mean, this whole circumstance is a lot more challenging and difficult than anything that's been navigated before. How much in short oord because it go about thirty seconds. I want to be on time for news for once this year to start yep and go from there. I mean, who do you blame the most? Is it the system? Is it the university and the way they navigated which is what you initially said, or.
Speaker 3: What great question?
Speaker 2: I think it all? I mean it starts with winning. And that's what Sadderfield got brought in to do, to win, and that starts with John Counningham for hiring him. You've got to go with the tools that you have, and when you start winning, that can take.
Speaker 3: A little bit less.
Speaker 4: You can make a little bit. You can make.
Speaker 2: Another player come this way. If you're winning, you're getting on TV and you're doing some great things, and then they may take a little bit less to come there. But it's all about reputation. It's all about perception, and it starts at the top. And you know what, that's where he's getting paid for it, and he's not doing his job.
Speaker 1: David, I hope you have a great in.
Speaker 3: In my opinion.
Speaker 1: My opinion, Well I got you. I mean, the record is the record. The final score tonight is the final score of this Liberty Bowl in Memphis, which I love Memphis barbecue. By the way, thirty five thirteen Bearcats falled in Navy? What else you got before I bounce you your final thought.
Speaker 3: I'll leave you go on. That's the good news?
Speaker 2: Was is I bet against the Bearcats on draftings that I cast in.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, that's terrible, Greg Jay Terry others will hit the phones after or NOTHINGY know, what's going on? A rim planet Earth And here in the Tri State it's a Friday, sterling. The weekend is here. Bearcat's a tough time in Memphis town as they fall to Navy. Give you a chance to sound off straight away seven hundred wulw that after falling in Memphis the Liberty Bowl for the shipman midshipman of a Navy thirty five thirty. The portal and ability for players to move around bit the Bearcats at the back end, maybe a little bit. Some say it was at Sadderfield, or some say it's the way it was managed to the university. I think it's challenging in general, probably for any program, let alone bounce it into a relatively new to the big twelve stills trying to figure that out, get to the next level in this But and I'm not trying to be an apologist. I'm gonna know what you think. Five point three seven four nine seven eight hundred the big one long holiday weekend last couple of weeks. I'll disjoin it with the holidays falling in the middle of the week. I'm just kind of curious, do you think that now because everybody thought, well, this is the way a team can get better fast by going out effectively with free agency and getting players that were sort of held hostage previously when they're athletic directors or coaches would regularly bounce. Cincinnati dealt with it. Other schools have dealt with it with their head coach, and all of a sudden disappears before a bowlgamer Otherwise. Now you get starting quarterbacks going in what a portal time, bouncing somewhere else. They're back in the truck up to pay me, and you kind of got to figure out, well, then, what level are you on when it comes to the money that you can bring for these players, because like all of us, they're looking out for themselves because they have to. Five point three seven four nine seven eight hundred the big one Mount Carmel, Terry, appreciate your holding with Sterling. Happy new year here on seven hundred WLW. What's going on, Sterling?
Speaker 5: How are you?
Speaker 1: I think I'm all right as far as I know you.
Speaker 4: Hey, I think I think money is completely ruined this sport. I don't agree with this this transfer porter at all to me. The stores beat character that kind of epitomizes that he hasn't even picked what school he goes to and he sells out his team. Yeah, I just I just think it's completely Runney. Is this completely run college football? I mean, what if I get a scholarship? I mean, how do we deal with that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: So if somebody gets a scholarship, do they get to take the scholarship with them? If they transfer up their another school.
Speaker 1: That's probably up for negotiation, right how many?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I don't blame Thater for it. I mean this is like the second year in a row this has happened.
Speaker 3: Do you see it?
Speaker 4: You know, with a transfer porter and all these guys lean to get a bowl game. I mean, to me, you know if they shouldn't be allowed you know, it is what it is. But to me, they shouldn't be allowed to transfer out. You have you know, you're done with the season, you get a bowl game. You know, that's just basically it didn't play your ball game? Didn't you transfer out? Because to me, just like to sell them uc out man. Basically, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Thank you, sure, no terror, I appreciate the comments. Thank you. It's a tough spot. I mean, what do you do if you're a parent, and I don't mean of a current student who's a fan. I'm talking about if you're a parent of a player who's lucky enough to have the talent and have somehow found their way to the University of Cincinnati or any other school around the country that gets to a point where it's bowl season and you're on the cuspa of being at the ball And it wasn't just quarterback. I mean a lot of other guys do the same thing. And it was really an amazing thing and arguably somewhat surprising that this Bearcats football team did as well as they did. I mean, and maybe I'm a little like being soft as far as the critical nature of the way that I'm looking at it, but I mean, it's challenging. I'm not sure how you navigate that unless you're at a higher level with more money. But if you're a parent, or if you're a player or those counseling them, and you're looking at, well, do I play in this ballgame and I can get my leg broken, I can get my shoulder ripped off, I could get a Joe Burrow toe situation or something else along those lines. And then wherever you were trying to go probably not the opportunity that you thought it was going to be, and then you kind of go, well, where do you fall where you are, whether it's at UC or another school, in that sipe of situation, it's very difficult. And unless you have a contract that is written with the player the way you would at the pro level or in just about any other business that says, here's the deal. You stay for a bowl game if it's at this level, and there's this kind of bonus money, and then there's that kind and I don't when I talk to Chick Ludwig later, who's covered Bengals and bear Cats and everything else from the ND five hundred do you name it? You hear him here on the Big One all the time. You'll hear him getting you ready for some stuff tomorrow night here on seven hundred WLW. He'll join me in just well less than an hour now and we'll talk about all of this as well. I'm just wondering, as a fan to U see, as a parent, to U see students, as someone who is in and around the tri State, how much of this it's sort of I'm trying to think of the best way I can describe it. There was a point in time when I was a kid, and it was very short because I'm in the window of maybe the generation before me as a Reds fan, as a Bengals fan, where you had guys that you grew up watching and hearing being talked about on the big one, and you go to Riverfront and then Synergy and then pay Corps, and then you would watch and at some point in that window of time when I was a tiny sterling, you'd see these players that would then be able to go to another team to better their financial situation with free agency and so forth, and all those things that have changed the game and the portability of the pro player in some ways has made it very difficult to have that same type of good feeling after that first contract or two coming up from the minor leagues in baseball or otherwise, and even in the NFL now, I mean, things have changed a bit, but the college thing, it's not as pure as is one would hope it would be in that regard. But the idea I've heard. I had a neighbor given me grief yesterday about this. It wasn't really grief. Let me just say he was complaining he was bitching and moaning about it, and he was saying, you know, it's unfair and these kids should just stay and all this or what about the student athlete, Well, they haven't just been student athletes for a long time, and there have been coaches that have been making millions and millions of dollars for a long time. And it wasn't that long ago that Maurice Clarek, for instance, and a lot of other players around, and he was at Ohio State. Of course, who ends up getting involved in something else trying to us to make a little bit of extra money. I think he sold like one of those little trinkets or something with the you know, the pants that are gold or whatever for the Buckeyes to sit and chickle. Know that because he lives it and breezes it. But in that situation, you know, they couldn't even take a part time job the way I did working at the college radio station, because it would cross the line of one them being able to do what they're doing for a football program or a basketball program, depending whatever it is. And that also it would as their favorability because there's something impropriety wise being looked at or talked about in the way that you know their finances are done compared to someone else is very odd. And it's been that way, or was that way for a long long time. Now what we're seeing is sort of the real world in a small little window that we thought with something else is pure. Now it's just like everything else. I suppose. I'm not quite sure what it means to us as fans. But if you're a player in that situation, what else you're gonna do protect yourself and your future? I mean, it's on to the next one. Mount healthy, David, you're with Sterling five one, three, seven, four, nine, eight hundred, the big one. What about these football Bearcats who fell in Navy tonight thirty five thirteen at the Liberty Bowl.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, you know, Saturfield probably isn't the right guy to be head coach bat Higher.
Speaker 3: But really, what I wanted.
Speaker 6: To say is it's time to get rid of the Bowl games.
Speaker 3: Right their time has passed.
Speaker 6: They were nice, but the world's moved on and their meaningless exhibition games. And if you're not going to get rid of all of the Bowl games, should at least reduce them down to a couple handful.
Speaker 1: And the problem you know that might be the case. So the only ones you keep are what the college football playoff and then the rest of the teams do what in the smaller conferences or teams that aren't quite there.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, if you don't make the playoffs, I mean, your season's over, just like if you don't make the you know, the big tournament. I guess they could start doing littler playoffs.
Speaker 3: Or something like that.
Speaker 6: You know, everyone's always gonna try to want to make money, but frankly they should just you know, if you're out playing exhibition, it's contact football. People are going to get hurt, So there's no reason for supposed to be risking that kind of stuff. But the game's meaningless.
Speaker 4: Do you play games.
Speaker 6: Football games that have meaning to them because it's such a risky, high impact sport.
Speaker 1: Well, you're quite right in a fashion. I mean, for a long time, there have been so many, you know, Bowl games in the first place, that it was like overwhelming. It's like, you know, day after day after day week it seems like a couple of weeks there's been Bowl games almost twenty four to seven. I'm only exaggerating a little bit. So you know, you bring good yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, when you have six and six teams and five and seven teams and seven and six teams, you know, competing, it's it's frankly, it's poor competition. And uh yeah, and that's why I know I was up to play. And this leads everyone frustrated. So we it's time for the world to move on.
Speaker 1: David, I appreciate the com man, thank you. And that's challenging because you have all these sponsors, you have all these cities, you have all these stadiums, you have all these college football teams, and the idea of some type of celebration on a mediocre or six and you know, a five hundred season, you get to a bowl game of some sort. But there's TV money at stake, and that's a lot of money. So maybe you have a larger pool of money from each of these bowl games that goes to the players on top of it to make it worth their while to stay I suppose, I mean, I I'm just you know, spitballing thinking of ideas here that might actually avoid a circumstance like the you know, everybody who's a football Bearcat fan and a whole lot of other teams around the country having to sort of make sense of what this circumstance is here as well. If you didn't hear it earlier, if you didn't watch it earlier, you're on the road hanging out out you know, long New Year's Weekend, seven hundred WLW Sterling hanging out, Dan Hord earlier, Tony Pike, mowegor you heard him from Memphis, the Liberty Bowl, Navy all over, the Cincinnati Bearcats thirty five thirteen. And you get a quarterback who bails out onto the next school. Perhaps you're right for more money. That's what it's about. Other players as well, So they got to go deeper into the depth chart. And these military teams say, that's a very interesting circumstance because you can't just bail out on the military. You go a waywall. Oh I'm gonna go to another school and make more money. No, you'll go to prison, You'll go to the brig You can't do that. It's different for everybody else. The Green Township in Nate was Sterling on seven hundred WLW Nate.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Hey, how's it going?
Speaker 1: That's you know, if you're a Bearcats fan, not good. But otherwise I've got the flu. I'm fine, I'm hopped up on caffeine and emergency. I'm great.
Speaker 7: That's good. Yeah, this is gonna get a lot, but I'm try get our quickly. For so, I think the way that you fix this this whole thing is one you've got to have some sort of clause and coaches contracts five or ten million dollars at the school that they're going to go to has to pay as a fee, which is you know, small peanuts for some schools. But I think there should be a coaching change window, much like the transfer portal window opening that starts after the college football playoff concludes, and then the transfer portal doesn't open until after that's done. I think that's kind of the first thing. And then once that, once that all gets done, there also needs to be some some sort of penalization for the players that try to transfer that are going to stay in school, obviously, and if they're not going to stay in school, then there needs to be there's some elegitibility hits or something that stopped them from going to school to school, so that would keep if they're not declaring for the NFL draft, obviously, you know there's going to be some sort like it used to be. And if they are going to declare, then they can sit out the bowl game. But I think that there needs to be some sort of requirement that they also have to play in a bowl game if they're going to stay in school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's an interesting angle on that, and that could solve some of it. And then it's tough. I think you'll start hearing guys beg out because of some type of injury because when that portal comes staying in school or otherwise to another place. Because again, there's so much money at stake. I mean, unless it's just purely about winning, but let's be honest, this is about their future and making more money than they would likely make generally if they just graduated and got a real life job. So I mean, this is their chance to get as much as they can for as long as they can, because the NFL is certainly no guarantee.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's a good point.
Speaker 1: It's tough. Well, I don't have any better ideas. I'm not hating on it. I'm just saying it's a lot to sort of process. I think, what's the thing my mom used to tell me when I was a kid, like an unintended consequences. Sometimes right you try and I've lived with this, or you try to do the right thing and try to be nice and it comes back and bite you. This might be it. I appreciate the call man. Thank you one more here before the break, Paul and Xenia. I played putt Putton Zenia and there was a horrible tornado there about fifty one years ago too, which I didn't mean to bring up bad times. Paul, how are you? Hell's everything?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm doing okay, staring. I just won't take this opportunity to race you and your mode On a related Happy New Years.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, Happy New Year to you as well. What about these football bearcats in this situation with the portal. I'm not gonna say the loss today was strictly that, but it certainly was a kick to the junk.
Speaker 8: Well starting as you probably know, the attard of me, the Labor Academy, Point and the Air Force Academy. They're all highly displined.
Speaker 3: They are.
Speaker 8: They are so much disperence than the average college team. And it comes as no surprise to.
Speaker 9: Me that that the Naval Academy mid Stippland they were going away over our recovered U versus centinary vertex.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's just the discipline. I think it's probably the players bouncing out to better their situation that may be contributed. But maybe fifty to fifty on that. It's tough to say, but I guess in the.
Speaker 8: Naval Academy, you commit as a prishman, and you're there four years to graduate, right, and then you stucking out after a freshman year, a sophomore year, you're you're there, Uh, you're there for the.
Speaker 1: Whole ride, correct, and then that three or five year hitch or whatever it is that they initially signed up to because they are serving this nation at the same time and then into the future a little bit differently than the rest of us, or at least most of us, right, and.
Speaker 8: They it really takes a different breed of human being to successfully complete a four year education in the West Point for the army, or the Naval Academy for the midshipman most definitely, or the Air Force Academy for the Air Force yep. I mean, they have to be truly dedicated, stilling, and they really have to want that is their goal, and they really have to want They put everything else aside, and they concentrate for four years to achieve their goal.
Speaker 1: That's true. It's true. I don't have that stick to it of just now, and I'm grown Paul. I appreciate the call, Happy New Year, take care of yourself. I appreciate the perspective and the take as well. Coming up after the nine o'clock report, we'll talk some movies with Kevin Carr, Fat guys of the movie SI Forget. Go on Substack. We used to do this podcast together called Chubby and Stick, which is still somewhere out there in the cloud somewhere. You can stream it if you'd like to. What else we got going on? Oh, chick a logwig is going to join me. We'll talk more on Bearcats. We'll talk on Bengals Sunday as they wrap up their twenty five twenty six season, unfortunately in a playoffs for them. We'll give you more of a chance to sound off on this as well. A lot of ground to cover later on. Also, you see health doctor Christino Day going to talk about living better in the New year, being healthier and maybe trying to get rehydrated after a long New Year celebration, maybe consuming some adult beverages, if you know what I'm saying, and as well as a nasty flu season and doctor Donas Schleck from Wright State, former head of political science, they are going to join us talk about terrorism and a foiled attack plan that they put the kaibash on over the new Year that the FBI has come out to talk about, and she put actually the first textbook of terrorism ever published out, So we'll get into her hat about that. A whole lot of other ground to cover tonight, Friday Night. Sterling on a tough one for the Cincinnati Football Bearcats in Memphis, falling in the Liberty Bowl to the Navy Midshipman thirty five thirteen on seven hundred WLW. It'll have. It's been two weeks of what seems like almost a weekend for most people. I've been working, but I know a whole lot of other people who have been burning up vacation, traveling all over Hill and Dale's to Grandma's house and everything else. And happy Neod here to you and yours is fine. Second of January twenty twenty six, rested, relaxed, fat, sassy, tanned, and I think he waited to get sick until he came home from vacation, Kevin Carr, Silver Gecko on the sub Stack, My Chubby and Stick Partner podcast gone by, and of course of fat guys at the movies. How are you? How's the family car? And Happy New Year? Brother?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Happy nud here. Yeah, everything's good. You're right. I did get sick. I was on vacation over Christmas. I got sick right when I was traveling home. So if you're gonna get sick on, that's the time to do it on your way back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why not be miserable at the house rather than wherever it is that you go to sun yourself or ski or whatever it is that makes you happy. It's terrible.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, I mean it's already no fun going home, you know, I'm not thinking it already sucks to drive back or fly back or take a boat back or whatever. The return trip always is not nearly as fun as the anticipation of going. So yeah, but I know, I get hit by this blue and that thing. Oh that's no joke, man, No, it knocked me on my butt.
Speaker 1: It's been pretty bad for me for a couple of days, but no fever. So I came in trying to stay away from everybody, and I'll spray everything down in here. I've been bathing in like antibacterial stuff and hopped up on like emergency and goofball. So everything is fine.
Speaker 3: I'm good to hear get pulled over on the way home.
Speaker 1: I no, no, everything's fine. I'm not doing it while I'm here.
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm just chugging the costs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, correct, correct, everything's great. So think of it back at twenty five, because you know, you always tell us what's new and picks to watch and everything else. Is there anything new? This is a weird window of time, the way Christmas and New Year's has fallen. Is anything new? Before I start picking your brain about maybe what we've missed and stuff to catch up on from twenty five?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean there's like a couple of smaller things. There are a lot of times you get limited release stuff. The first weekend always that New Year, whatever that New Year's weekend is is always kind of an off weekend. So there's nothing big even like what was weird? Is there weren't any real big opening on Christmas Day movies? I mean there was Anna Condo, which I still want to see because it just looks stupid and fun. Ye, but there was a song sung Blue, which is that Neil Diamond tribute kind of. It's it's based on a true story starring Hugh Jackman and Kate Hudson. And that's that's fine, But there was no big Christmas Day movie where sometimes things are like opening Christmas Day and I think that they knew that Avatar was gonna snuck the air out of the room, so they everyone just kind of vacated the next week and then this week is always a dead week and then we you know, hit it hard like next week with Primate, the Killer Chimpanzee movie and the in the green Land two movie. If it wasn't enough to watch Gerard Butler try to save his family from everything on the planet, uh, you got him coming back in this one as well.
Speaker 1: Nice, that's pretty good. Uh it is. First of all, let me ask you about this the movie that you just mentioned about Neil Diamond, But it's not really about him. That's about right, that's about these people who basically are a what do you want to call it a cover act?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah, well they like to call themselves a Neil Diamond experience. You know, it's not even a tribute but inexperience. Uh, and it's it is based on a true story. There was a documentary about it about this guy who just loves Neil Diamond so much he kind of does the tribute band, meets another impersonator share her big thing is Patsy Klein. But then they work together to kind of do and they fall in love and they have this whole story. And with any story, there's ups and downs and good and bad things happening. And I mean that's it's a sweet enough story. It pushes all the right buttons. It's predictable, but you know that's the thing life kind of predictable for a lot of you. You know, you know something bad's gonna happen. You some know there's gonna be bouncing back and all that kind of stuff. But I mean, it's just a fine little movie. It does get a little heavy on the Neil Diamond songs, if you might. If you find that hard to believe.
Speaker 1: Well you got to be a fan of Neil Diamond, you're probably not gonna watch anyway. Which it leads me to an interesting thing. I just read something that said one of the family members of I guess these people were not happy with the way they were portrayed or how the movie came out. Yet I've heard people say good things about the movie. So that's a weird thing. Great movie, but apparently not true to form, or at least the family members not happy with what they saw.
Speaker 3: What does that? Well, here's the thing when it comes to when it comes to true stories, is true, it's no one wants to see it. It's a boring movie. If everybody is always good and perfect and honest and above board, and nobody's like that. Everybody has their dark side, everybody has their flaws, everybody has their ups and downs and their good days and they're bad days. And so when I see a movie that's especially if it's even if it's a famous person biopic and it's like approved completely by the family, I was kind of like, well, that's probably not that good because you don't get the downside. Like there's a movie and there's still slight against Jesse Owens. He was an absolute hero. But there's a movie called Race that came out I don't ten years fifteen years ago, and it was a biopic about Jesse Owens and him going to the Olympics and winning and all that kind of stuff, but it was like like produced by his family, and I'm like, not that Jesse Owens had these dark skeletons in the closet or anything like that, but there was Everybody has ups and downs, and everybody has good points and bad points, and the movie did feel a little bit sanitized, whereas if it's a you know, so it may have shown something that's true. It's just maybe the family didn't like what was shown. I'm not a biographer of this these people, but that's one of the things you run into or they feel that they focus too much on this because it made them look a certain way and not enough about this. I mean, it's like anything. If anyone did a story of your well, I don't know. For me, it could be one of those things I'd watched and I'd be like, well, you kind of improved on things.
Speaker 1: So I'm living the life. I could write it better than I'm living. Yes, I absolutely could for me anyway. Talking to Kevin Carr silver Gecko on Substack with Sterling on seven hundred WLW. So all right, so let's move I guess back and look at at twenty five if possible, Because there are always so many things that are put out and now was streaming, it's even more so, what is there? I mean, I don't know how many have. If it's ten, if it's five, what are the like? If you miss this, must see go back stream it, find it because there are a lot of good things that just fall through the cracks because there's just simply so much stuff to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and I mean like like certain ones. Obviously, people know I really loved Superman. You know that. You remember me talking about that, and that was that was a lot of fun. But but like some of that kind of maybe were lesser seen, and some of these are darker movies. I tend to fall into the horror appreciation. There was a movie that was called Good Boy and it came out I don't know, about four months ago, and it was about a dog and it's a horrory told from the dog's perspective. And it starts a dog named Indy. Who's who's Who's should be in the running for best actor of any category of anything. You know, it should he should get the oscar. Oh, he's a very good boy. And it's it's it's a really interesting approach, and you know, it's got The Best Being Subject as well, so that one is really good. If you haven't seen that, check that out. I think it's on shutter. You can probably find it elsewhere. I also was a big thing. You had two fantastic Stephen King adaptations. One of them was The Long Walk, which is difficult to watch, came out I think in this late August or late summer August area. Very difficult to watch because it has heavy devy subject matter. But it's a fantastic adaptation of the original Richard Bachmann book that Stephen King kind of wrote under a pseudonym back in the seventies. But he also did The Monkey Oggur Perkins, the son of Anthony Perkins who played Norman Bates. He directed this this over the top, crazy violent tale about this this this little uh well, it used to have like this symbol monkey had the symbols. They had to change it to him hitting a drum, the monkey with a drum for the movie.
Speaker 1: Well, what was that? Because they were going to sue them or they didn't like the way that the toy was being shown or something or what.
Speaker 3: I I think that some other company, like maybe it might have been like a toy story thing has a monkey with symbols, and so they said, let's just avoid that completely, even though the original story was a monkey with symbols. And it's just a bonkers movie. And if you like sort of these insane, over the top at darkly funny movies, the monkeys are fantastic. It's kind of off brand for Osbud Perkins because the stuff you saw long legs, I mean, that thing was heavy and grim. But this one, I mean, it's an over the top splatterfest.
Speaker 1: Well there's nothing wrong with that. I mean, you got to be in the right mood, but I'm all for that. Tell me. But I know you have others on the list, but I'm just thinking about this one battle after another. Is that one of those that you would say this is that this is one of the better ones of ninety five or five? Oh, I just flashed back thirty years.
Speaker 3: I'm about to say that that's pt Anderson, that's in his infancy. No, this one's good. I mean I'm not, I'm not the total acolyte of pt. Anderson, but this was a This was a good movie. It's one of those ensemble movies because Leonardo Dicapriro does a great job in it, Chase Infinity, who plays his daughter. She does a great job in it. Sean penn As wickedly evil as the bad guy. Excuse me. Vaneciel del Toro is a hoot in this movie. So that, yeah, that was worth seeing. If you've not seen it, it is an experience. It's a little long, so I do warn you about that, but actually want to know it's real bonkers. Check out Begonia sometimes. That's the one where Emma Stone plays like a CEO and Jesse Plemon's kidnaps her thinking she's an alien, shaves off her head and and and is keeping her in her his basement because he doesn't want her to he wants to stop the alien invasion. It is. It is chilling because you're like, you'd watch the movie and you'd be like, yeah, I know somebody like that. I don't know somebody who would who might try that, you know what I mean? And it's it's very very disturbing at times.
Speaker 1: She's made some really really good films, hasn't she amazing?
Speaker 3: Well? And this is It is directed by Yorgus Lathomos, who did poor things which she won what are her oscars for? So you see you see less of emastone in this one, then you do important.
Speaker 1: But you saw all of themistone, all of her, Yes she did, and that's not all bad as for sure. Anything else of the like well, because you mentioned from one two through Stephen King movies, Long Walk, The Monkey, Good Boys, Superman. Uh you mentioned Bona, what what else?
Speaker 3: Any weapons? Weapons is a great movie if you've not seen that one. It's directed by it's written directed by Zach Craiger. He did barbarian A couple of years ago. Originally started out in comedy doing the Whitest Kids you know and Lo and Behold. He's a brilliant horror director. So Weapons is a fantastic movie, almost impossible to spoil because it's so twisted and convo looted in what it's trying to do. It's uh, it's you keep guessing even if you know what's going to happen. So it's an Amy Madigan is fantastic in that movie.
Speaker 1: Nice, Okay, good good? I like it. Anything else of consequence before like, we let you rest and convalesce and do whatever it is you have to do. Hydrate, That's what I've been doing. I really I joke about the big drinks when we've gone to the movies together, whatever, in the catheter. But I have been consuming so much in the way of fluids to try to get through this sickness that a catheter, which I just went thinking about, might actually save me some time.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, well then the key is if you're sick, you don't want to have anything with too much caffeine in it. Now, you can have tea like to drink and so your soues your throat. But no, that's why you go with like sprite seven up.
Speaker 1: Water, dalyite whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, pedlte or you know, cater Raide or something like that.
Speaker 1: So this thirty ounce container the mug of ice coffee is a bad choice.
Speaker 3: Probably not a great idea. That's that's that's a lot of that's a lot of caffeine. Caffeine will dehydrate, you'll you'll expel more than you take in.
Speaker 1: That might explain my need to go Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, but uh no, I would say. The only other thing I I I that that's really on my radar is you got the finale of Stranger Things that dropped on on it was it New Year's Eve or New Year's day. Uh, it was New Year's Eve and it was a great wrap up to the show. I'm not going to spoil or anything, but it's it's definitely worth checking out. If you've been waiting to borrow somebody's Netflix password, now's the time to do it. You've got there's forty two episodes, which amounts to, well, I don't know what one hundred and eighty six hours of Eve.
Speaker 1: Is really a lot?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's good. It's worth worth checking out.
Speaker 1: And did I read or did you didn't tell me something? Is there going to be a movie about that? Or is that just what I don't did? I?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, no. They they released the two hour series per me series finale. Did you like this week?
Speaker 1: I gotcha?
Speaker 3: And it made like twenty million dollars.
Speaker 1: That's better than a lot this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, well, I mean and it was it was sort of that that like Batham event kind of one time one or two night thing. But I mean it is cinematic. It's a great to you know, sometimes you go and you watch like the two hour finale and you know, like that could have been forty five minutes. Yes, yeah, this one it does take its time and you have you definitely have a nice dinu maw you know day. It's not like they like wrap up the bad stuff and then roll credits. They they it's a little bit Return of the King trying to you know, wrap everything up at the end. So but it's worth it if you if you've stayed through all five seasons, you know, watch these twenty some year old kids graduate from high school or something like that. Yeah, and that's the kind of.
Speaker 1: Thing something to do, I suppose, Uh, yeah, it's it's a weird thing. I'm wondering. Uh at this point, are there too many options? As far as you would.
Speaker 3: Never say that, No, I would never say that. That's that's like, that's like that's like what your wife's coming home like, sorry, honey, we're just having way too much sex.
Speaker 1: No, there's I mean, there's I've seen a lot of movies, now, not as many as you because it's been your life, but I uh, and I've had some sex. I gotta say, Kevin Carr, I have never not once ever like compared I mean equality film to even bad sex. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, no, I mean, you know, what's that whole thing, you know, like you have pizza, pizza, even bad pizzas good.
Speaker 1: Right, right, I mean, how many movies have you like, gone, this is a complete waste of time. I want to get the hell out of this theater or fallen asleep or otherwise. I mean, I have bolted out of theaters and gone across the hall because I'm like, I'm never getting that part of my life back. Ever, I've never been the mist of sex and gone. I got to get out of here maybe once.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, but I mean it's not a perfect comparison, but I mean it is. It is one of the but the whole these are too many options. I love the fact that we have options. I love the fact that there's more stuff than because this is the thing. You can bolt. You can bail if you start watching something and you're like this is boring, I can go to something else.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: God, do you remember the back everyone is complaining about too many options? Remember back in the day, we had three three channels Lucky maybe PBS was showing money Python.
Speaker 1: Well, but other than that, you're right, and and I and if you were like me, and we've discussed this before. Kevin Carr, by the way, is silver Gecko on the sub stack talking movies and so forth with Stirling on the Big One. I mean, I thought my only purpose in life as a young tiny sterling was to hold the antenna and stand appropriately so we might be able to get more than the three. So we could get eet and sixteen out of Dayton. So we could get nineteen and then maybe twenty two out of Dayton. You know, in that type of situation and the weather was really good, maybe you get a Columbus station or an Indianapolis station. And that might have been if I took the foil and wrapped it around the top of the room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I grew up in Columbus. We had three stations and PBS and that was it. We didn't get independent TV stations until the mid eighties. And I remember we'd go up and visit my family in Cleveland. They had a couple of them. I thought it was great that channel surfing. You could go seven stations before you got back to the Brady Bunch again. So look, I mean, I will take more content over nothing any day. And I love the fact that people promote, Oh but Blockbuster's close, you can't. Oh, I'm sorry. You go to Blockbuster and you can't all agree on a movie and then it be out. You know, you can't wait six years to go see my best friend's wedding because the entire wall at Blockbuster's gone. No, I mean, you can just watch whatever you want to. I will never complain about that.
Speaker 1: There you go, don't complain. Options are good. It's good to have choices. I mean, yeah, that's the bottom line. Absolutely, Kevin Carr, thank you for making time. I know that you're convalescing. You're sickly, but tan and rested into the new year. So I wish you and the family car the best and I look forward to hanging out and talking more movies and whatever else comes in twenty twenty six. Thank you for jo We'll talk to you later, absolutely, Man, take care of yourself. More sterling coming back sooner than later. Chick Ludwig's gonna join me on the other side of your nine thirty report. We got a Brady Hopkins with the news. Chick will join us. We'll talk on Bengals, and of course we'll talk on those football bear Cats as well, and the issue of portability, which there is no portability, by the way. With the scholarship Russ Jackson sort of helped dig deeper into that as we had a guy earlier and we were talking about Bearcats and the Navy midshipman and how that game played out earlier in the Liberty Bowl in Memphis. You heard it here on the Big One thirty five thirteen Bearcats fall to Navy. We'll talk to Chick about the Bearcats. We'll talk about the portal and what that's done to well, you see, and a lot of other schools in the situation ahead, and about the Bengals who look to wrap up this season Sunday with the Browns making the trip down seventy one to pay Corps for one o'clock kickoff here on News Radio seven hundred double WELW Cincinnati. Glad they're along. It's nice second day of January twenty twenty six. We'll get in conversation a little later about that poor eleven year old girl was shot at the Cincinnati playground and the issues with the family having a sort of not getting the attention I think of the love as it's been reported at the hospital that one would think they would be after losing their baby. We will get into that a bit later. Also, Doctor Donald schleg from Wright State former head of political science, going to talk on terrorism threats and the FBI putting the hammer down and at least stopping one of those that they've reported publicly over the last couple of days. A lot of other stuff to get to as well. Chick, Ludwig kind that i'd give us some time, you know, Chick, you love chick. Coffee in hand, computer, all over, the Bengals, all over, the Bearcats. You covered everything in sport other than maybe ping pong and Indonesia gambling late at night, and maybe he did that too. I don't know, Chick. How are you happy New Year? How's everything?
Speaker 3: Fantastic? Sterling great to hear from me.
Speaker 10: As far as gambling goes, I do not gamble, but I think I made some folks some money because I told him to take Miami, the Hurricanes and the points. Oh so yeah, the buck eyes out right time.
Speaker 1: It was ugly. There was not a good thing. And speaking of something else because I know you're going to get into a whole lot of this tomorrow when you're in. But I wanted to ask about the Bearcats because initially I wanted to talk about Bengals, and then the Bearcats thing with sideways. Tell me about this portal problem, because it is a portal problem, and people are upset. They want to blame Sadderfield, they want to blame the University of Cincinnati. How much of this is the nature of what the business of college football is today compared do you think the way it's being run in the program at the University of Cincinnati.
Speaker 10: Well, so much of it is is the portal and the problems to deal with. And first things first, uh, Navy was the superior team on so many levels. First of all, they're used to water, okay, in the driving rain in the Memphis. They know how to swim, and they know how to row okay. And they brought everybody with them, and you see was down a dozen players, all of them opting out, most of them, you know, entering the portal. A couple guys including Dante Corleone, you know, preparing for the NFL draft. So to beat down eight defensive backs, this was just a no brainer.
Speaker 3: Pick a Navy to day.
Speaker 10: But anyway, you know, to go in there with you know, your second and third string quarterbacks, you see, just had no chance to day against the midshipman. And it's just brutal to think, now, where do you you need a quarterback? Is it going to be some I. J. Shones or or somebody else next year? So it's like you're always fighting, uh yeah, fighting from behind to to measure up. They they've lost five in a row. They started seven and one and uh and then get sunk today, you know by the midship and it in this Liberty Bowl.
Speaker 1: Didn't they lose five in a row last year as well at the end.
Speaker 10: They were They're one and eleven in November under Scott Sadderfield. So, uh, they've got to find a way number one, to retain guys. Yes, in number two, Yeah, find a way that a mid season to stand on the gas and not uh not crumble.
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it all about the money chick Ludwig by the way, sterling seven hundred WLW Because to retain these guys, these guys, they they opt out that they put themselves in the poor you know, a dozen players, a starting quarterback, eight defensive backs, and you look at that and you kind of go, it's a shell of the team, and you see it is not the only team navigating this. But they're relatively new to the big twelve they're still trying to get to the top tier of that and build this program and having to navigate it. Is there a way to say, And maybe it would be unfair because I'm of the idea that players should have the portability the coaches have had for years where we've seen it at UC check where you know, you come to bowl time and all of a sudden the coach has gone. You're like, well, what what's that about, Well, coach took another job. Now, so these players are in that situation. Do you say, look, you've got to stay through the bowl game, which risk them and their opportunity to be healthy to get to the next place if it's not going to be you seen, because they could come down.
Speaker 10: To signing contracts. You know, with players, you have to you know, you have to fulfill your responsibility, whatever it is a year or two or staying through the bowl game aim and to get paid. So, yeah, a lot of it is about money and then opportunity. Uh gosh, you look at a Fernando Mendoza, you know, buried out in cal and then the opportunity that he gets at the at Indiana University. Just a phenomenal story. And yeah, now we're looking at the Brendan Soresby. You know, we'll find out what in a day or two, hopefully soon you know where he'll wind up, where he'll end up. But got he started at Indiana, then he was at uc and uh yeah, he's going to get a big pay day. So it's man, it's like a you're in a washing machine here, a never ending cycle and it's brutal.
Speaker 1: And our schools in the lower I'm going to say that you see as a lower tier. The whole idea of going to the Big twelve is going to the next level, you know, bigger and more market share and showcasing and all that stuff. But it seems like they don't have the money that some of these other programs do.
Speaker 10: Even though you're absolutely right look at the guy, like, oh what we saw last night. I have an ole Miss quarterback Trendidad Shambliss. He came from Farris State Division two national champion and now he surfaces at ole Miss and they beat Georgia. Just just an incredible story. So you love to hear those stories. But I'm wondering, you know, what's going on with eight defensive backs at at the University of Cincinnati entering the transfer. Man, is it is it a money grab? Is it an opportunity? It's probably a combination of both. And it's uh yeah, it put Scott Saderfield in a you know, a tough situation and all the folks that you see, you know, trying to get players and uh yeah, they'll get players. Now, how you know, how good are they? We're in a big time here, this is the Big twelve.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's challenging. It really is. Time it is, it's huge, and I know people want to point the finger and how you know, for such a long time it was coaches who had the bordability, you know, and and and everyone else, and the kids were sort of tethered to the school generally unless they were kicked out of the program for some reason, which that you know, unless they're a problem, that's probably not going to happen. I want the kids to be able.
Speaker 10: It could come down to you know, one transfer, yeah, you know at uh you know, after a year or two or whatever, you get one transfer. So you know, the powers that be are going to have to you know, straighten this all out. Change some dates, Oh my gosh, with with coaches leaving and players opting out here that you know today, you know, And I was asked, could Brandon's Brandon Soursby? Could it be because could he have played today and then entered the transfer portal. Well, he's not going to take that gamble on a a bad game, bad performance, or an injury. So as soon as the season ended, he uh, you know, he opted out. We'll find doubt where he's going next.
Speaker 1: Chick Ludwig all over a bear catch you got the Bengals stuff obviously too. Sunday they wrapped up.
Speaker 10: Leaving Culture tomorrow at the Wings and Rings Liberty Township from five thirty to eight thirty, the final post game show of the season.
Speaker 1: That'll be all right now, did you when you look at this Bengals team and you know it's the Browns and it's the AFC North and anything can happen. They come in here Sunday one o'clock kickoff on the Big One and you'll be doing the postgame show with the Culture. It was always great too. I just it's frustrating. We've seen it with the Bengals. You know, Oh, you want a faster start, they had a faster start. You want a better defense. Well, we saw the defense mature. We want to see them finish strong. I mean they're doing all the things that you would expect them to be doing once they're closer to full strength. Offensively, the defense has grown too. How do you as a fan keep the most positive way of looking at it without being like some of my friends who were just like, that's just what the Bengals do. They play well at the end and then they suck. And I've heard that time and time again.
Speaker 10: Yeah. What I've tried to tell fans, what we've learned and seen the last two weeks against the Miami Dolphins and Arizona Cardinals, a reminder of what might have been, what could have been, and hopefully what will be next year. The whole key here is keeping your quarterback Joe Burrow healthy. And I just looked this up. The Bengals have played one hundred regular season games since he was drafted in two thousand. He's played in seventy six and his record is forty three and thirty two and one, and he's five and two this year, fourteen touchdown passes, four interceptions played in seven games. And keeping him healthy and then upgrading just all fasted so the defense next year, better defensive lineman, you know, adding another linebacker and the dbs because when you can get instant pressure on a quarterback, it just helps the defensive backs, the safeties in the corners just so much. So they've got to improve all three tiers of that defense. And we saw this young defense. We yeah, we're starting to see them mature, getting better. And you know, they gambled on defense this year and it backfired and everything went south when Joe got injured. So Flacco did a great job. Would love to have him back next year as a backup. We'll see if that happens. But yeah, and then adding to the offensive line, so just keep just keep upgrading.
Speaker 1: It's tough, check Ludwig, how much do you We've saw the improvement on the defense in the last half of the season, especially last several weeks, and that's what you want. And if the offense have been clicking even half as well as it had been just with Joe there, And it's as much as Flacco as an elder statesman under center is you know, all the experience he has and everything else. It is a tough transition. I mean, how much more can you ask of a team to navigate what they did with the loss of a Joe Burrow because there's very few out there in any organization that are at his level or have ever been at his level.
Speaker 10: That's that's right, and it just underscores, you know, his importance to this team, that franchise, this city, the face of the city, the most important player in Bengals history. So it's it's like the team's always at a crossroads, and I know the frustration of the fans and hey, sitting down, sit down, your big three, don't get let him get hurt. No, this team has to continue to evaluate players.
Speaker 3: And you said million.
Speaker 10: Times you're not only playing for your team, you're playing for thirty one others. So the evaluation process is critical. The coaches, they have to find out who can play for this team next season and book around the locker room. Tomorrow a bunch of guys are going to be gone. And it happens every year.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's an amazing thing. Though when you look at this offense, and I know defense is where it's been thinner, but they've come up strong lately. But as you look at chick aside from Jamar Chase, aside from Higgins, aside from Chase Brown, aside from p Ryan, aside from obviously Burrow. And you look at the weapons that Burrough has aside from those guys, in what those guys in the running backs have been able to do, and that in between stuff. The weaponry is so deep. It's just to be nice if you could see them put that together with the defense that is serviceable for a whole season. But I guess that's the magic and why only a handful of teams are consistently in the play offs. And you know, it's a dream to get to the super Bowl, let alone play deep into the postseason.
Speaker 10: And we saw that this year when the offense played well, the defense struggled when the defense up came on and the offense had it its issues. So yeah, getting putting an entire game together, putting entire season together is is it just a huge challenge? And people want Zach Taylor's head, Well, then what are you going to start all over with, you know, with a new offense, you know, a new head coach, whold new offensive scheme. No, they're going to keep Zach Taylor. However, if they start slow next year, I'm gonna use my favorite word armageddon next year. If they start slow, it's uh yeah, all bets are off.
Speaker 1: So you and David Poulcher Sunday after Bengals and Brown's kick off one o'clock at pay Corps and then where are you two guys hanging out after with the.
Speaker 10: Sar At Wings and Rings Liberty Dry I have Liberty Township, so looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can we shift just a minute. I mean, I find this part of the college basketball season turning into a pretty exciting time because all of a sudden it's conference time, Big Twelve, Big East, Horizon League with NKU and Wright State Miami up the way. I mean, we are really kind of in the land of plenty with college basketball too.
Speaker 10: Oh gosh, we're at the We think we're at the epicenter here, you know, gosha, what's the arithmetic? Gosh the drug? You draw the perimeter around the Cincinnati Dayton area.
Speaker 1: You drive ninety minutes to two hours, Yeah, you drive one hundred miles. I mean you can.
Speaker 10: It's tremendous, phenomenal it is. And it all starts for UC tomorrow. They're eight and five, second last in the Big Twelve. The loss that hurt, that was just that crippled them is at home against Eastern Michigan and that's going to look really bad on as I may, but it can all man, the arrow can start pointing up if they can beat Houston tomorrow at home fift third Arena at two o'clock tomorrow. The Big Twelve starts. It got the Big East started, got it filt like.
Speaker 3: Two weeks ago it did.
Speaker 10: Now we're finally Big twelve play and you've got what half dozen teams in the top twenty in that conference. So it's it's a monster.
Speaker 1: Is that the toughest conference? You think Big East? Big twelve is pretty strong too.
Speaker 10: I honestly do. Yeah, the Big Ten will beat you up. The Big twelve is extremely skilled, and yeah, it's it's a phenomenal, phenomenal conference, it really is.
Speaker 1: And you know, just to see the Goomers come into town. And Houston's been pretty good no matter where they have been conference wise. I mean, they've had stretches where it's been somewhat anemic and not great, but they have found a way consistently to be a winner. And just you know, from the Big Twelve and they just grow even more. It's an amazing thing. That they've been able to put together.
Speaker 10: It really is with with Kelvin Samson there, they they've really stepped up their game and gosh, they're reminding you of the good old days with Gosh tim olajuh wad yes and gosh the fly five Slam of jama days.
Speaker 1: Different times, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: It all starts tomorrow for the Bearcats at home, the big twelve opener against Houston. It's uh, that place to be rocking, and hey, Bearcats go out and do a number.
Speaker 1: That's all you can do.
Speaker 10: Go out and James going and Baba Miller and they got to get the freshman showing a by you getting him, gosh, a five star you know McDonald's all American. Uh, get him going either as the sixth man or you know, he's a three point sharpshooter and he's been struggling.
Speaker 11: So yeah, Is it easier for Wes Miller than say Saturdy Field on the hoop side of things, putting it together, navigating the portal and so forth.
Speaker 1: I mean it's a challenge either way. We've seen how Xavier has found a way to do that in the Big East. But I mean, is football harder to do that or is it hoopes.
Speaker 10: Do you think, Wow, that's a good question, because it's, uh, it's tough all the way around. Uh, Xavier had to Richard Patino had to bring in an entirely different, you know, new new team and and really the only player, only one from UC has played in the Xavier in the Xavier rivalry, so that that's just crazy. But hold new team there too. For for west Miller basically, so.
Speaker 1: Uh, different times.
Speaker 10: It just is it's, uh, everything's fluid, everything's in transition, Stirling, and it's so tough for a fan. I don't know these players. I want to get to know them, but they don't stick around long enough to find out what they're even what their name is.
Speaker 1: It'll be interesting to see over a few years how some of these players develop it, you know, they come back, do the education thing more or whatever. Because I mean, let's be honest, the vast majority, whether it's football players, basketball players, they're not going to go on to play Pro ball, NBA, NFL. Some will, but not many overall, right, you know, and maybe they'll go to Europe and player or whatever else and in some of these other underleagues in football, But I mean, so these guys got to get as much money as they can and then hopefully get that education and do something with it later. But it's hard to build the relationship and the name recognition in a market where you see guys who stick around at Cincinnati and in other places to do broadcasting and be a part of the community. So that's a whole shift that we're going to see too in the next five ten years.
Speaker 3: You know, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 10: You stick around for four or five years. Uh, You've got alumni more than willing to help you get a job, and all of a sudden, you're here one year and you're gone. You know, where are your roots as a player, So you don't have any You're a You're a vagabond, You're a gypsy, and it's.
Speaker 1: Unless you find a home like here with a big one. I mean, really, come on down there, you go. Well, listen, I appreciate you making time. I love you. Check you're a good man.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 1: David Folger Chick Ludwig hanging out Sunday after Bengals Browns at Paycoorp and on the big one again. Where is it you're going to be?
Speaker 10: Yeah, Liberty Township, Wings and Rings, we will bring the energy fultures, vultures in the chick magnets.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: Check.
Speaker 1: Thank you for doing what you do and making time in your good Thank your brother, Happy new you take care of yourself. Sterling. Coming back, you're ten o'clock reports straight away, Doctor Donas schleg former had a political science going to join me talking about an FBI reported thwarting of a New York's Eve attack. We'll also talk about that poor eleven year old girl a gun down in a park and still looking for the perpetrators at that crime, and a whole lot of other ground to cover on a fine Friday nights, Sterling, Happy new Year to you and yours, and a tough one for those football bearcats and the liberty of falling to navy. Tonight here on news radio seven hundred WLW Cincinnati says full lawn, seven hundred WLW, Sterling, that's me all the time, the FBI, Secret Service, local law enforcement, county sheriff, state patrol, you name it, border to border, coast to coast, and our interests globally. The threat of terrorism and danger of bad actors is constantly out there in the talk of us needing to be more vigilant or vigilant and keeping an eye out and seeing something and saying something is something we've been living with more openly the better part of the last what twenty four years, since nine eleven, two thousand and one, I suppose, and looking back at history, there were maybe more dangerous times when it comes to terrorist threats and domestic terrorism in so far for someone who put out the first textbook published the first one about terrorism. Here is also the former head of political science at Right State now, Professor Mariti, doctor Donna Schleheck. Welcome to seven hundred wlw we Sterling. How are you happy New Year? How's everything?
Speaker 12: Good evening? And happy new Year. I was very interested to hear the report that you mentioned. The New York Police Department counter Terrorism had a piece of this tracking this potential terrorist and.
Speaker 1: It seems to be related to isis he regularly is that it seems like they are sort of like the pre eminent foreign actor or loosely organized bunch of sympathizers who look to do US or other freedom type. I mean, who were they targeting besides US ISIS in general anyone who doesn't agree with them or what.
Speaker 12: Anyone who might not agree, but particularly American targets. They of course killed three Americans who were on active duty in Syria last month. And this individual was spotted, you know, by a New York Police officer on the counter terrorism team tracking people online. So this was a cyber operation. I'm so glad you wanted to talk about it tonight because this is one of those successful preventions, right, this is what we most desperately want. It probably would have been another lone wolf attack Charlotte, North Carolina. You know, a year ago we were getting over the New Orleans attack with a truck right and automatic weapons. This past Halloween there was a report of another planned attack that was cyber aborted as well, detected early and shut down. He was those people were talking about a potential attack in here in Ohio, so up at Cedar Point. So the small attacks, where do people gather, often in large numbers, what happened in Australia of course, the Bondai attack before Christmas. It's a classic example of people gathering in large public places vulnerability. And you know the fact that we can now talk to the public about the importance of you know, the protective efforts that are going on behind the scenes twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. This individual had been tracked for months to try to prove you know, a New York police officer, obviously we're thinking about Times Square. No, they've aboarded an attack in Charlotte, North Carolina. It's the case hasn't fully played out in court. Another troubled individual. I was struck by how many similarities there seemed to be sterling with the individual who was finally arrested for planning those pipe bombs you remember at the RNC and the DNC headquarters in January of twenty twenty one. These investigations take take a long time, but talking to the public about the ongoing threat, all the efforts being taken to identify these individuals online, ISIS has a global reach. Americans are favorite targets. Some of these attacks last year at this time were taking place in the big Christmas markets and Christmas fairs in Germany and elsewhere, so Western targets, particularly in this case, you know, holiday crowds, and kudos to the counter terrorism squad. It's a state, local, and federal effort. You pointed out, we're going to be coming up this September hard to believe it. On the twenty fifth anniversary of nine to eleven, we've had We've learned a lot, and like like in medicine, prevention is the absolute best approach to take, and it is. It's a good evening when we can talk about the prevention of this sort of an attack on Americans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I prefer to talk about this in the news rather than carnage, lost life, in the suffering of individuals subsequent to some type of attack, which is exactly what was going on a year ago in and around Bourbon Street in New Orleans, and as you mentioned, the Christmas holiday markets elsewhere as well. It's troubling. Doctor Donnas Schles former had of political science, now professor Merita Wright State University. She's a Cincinnati kid with Sterling. On seven hundred WLW, you mentioned the DNC RNC pipe bombs that were left leading up to January sixth in what happened obviously at the Capitol and everyone you know either way you looked at it like kind of people were questioning, well, it was at both political party headquarters, what does this mean? And it turns out that this guy allegedly was not particularly partisan, disgusted, fed up and wanting to act out in some fashion against the system itself in both parties. How much is that disgruntled, dissatisfied, sort of marginal on the fringe type of player or person out there that is so vulnerable either to be manipulated by others groups be an ISIS or those that they can sympathize with to sort of stir them up, because right now on social media there is so much out there that is constantly going on where they are trying to find the disillusioned to do really horrible things and they just need poked and prodded in the right way.
Speaker 12: Yes, it is such a vulnerable population for recruitment by ISIS, and it seems to fit exactly the case that we currently have in front of us out of Charlotte, very young, eighteen nineteen years old, not well adjusted, and online, constantly online. It makes you wonder how many of these cases they're tracking on any given day. But this individual was tracked for weeks. The FBI has been assuring the public that he was, you know, at no time a threat to the general public. And yet if we think about some of the other recent lone wolf attacks, luigim Angioni not one of those you know, unsuccessful people, the young man who assassinated Charlie Kirk. But they do seem to still fit in that loan, very dissatisfied looking, you know, looking for something and finding those answers. As you said, in social media, law enforcement is there. You know that that that cyber sphere is clearly where they are tracking what ISIS is doing as well. But it's global and it's it's it's going to be interesting to see what the social media techs are going to be able to do to work with law enforcement. We are we're too vulnerable. We have big public, public gatherings. The holidays may have ended now, but you know the next planning will be for you guessed it, the Super Bowl, right, and I will be wondering again, you know how how many layers of security they have going in. That's one of the things I was watching on New Year's Eve, and that they have it down to pretty much an art right now in New York. And the the interesting, the irony, the coincidence that one of those New York officers would have been the one who identified this this gentleman I think his name is Garza uh and and to track him and to catch him before he could hurt anyone. But it is isis, it was, isis connected, and that seems to be where the action is. Not the American cases, not Charlie kirk Uh, not Luigi Manngioni, and certainly not the attacks on President Trump either fallen into this category. But we may forget about terrorism. It certainly doesn't forget about us, definitely does not.
Speaker 1: Doctor Donna Schlez, the former had of political science at Right State now professor Emerita. You know after nine to eleven what had been talked about, and it was just recently in the last year, I think really the beginning of the second term for President Trump, a lot of talk about surveillance society in which we live, how much is being looked at, whether it's our phones and what's being shared by the companies that we buy service from, whether it's what we're watching, what we're reading online, pick a device of choice, any type of communication that goes with it. And we talk about giving up our freedoms, but there is an inherent vulnerability with our freedom rather than being in some other type of place around the world where there is no freedom, where there is no liberty, So where is that line and how do we navigate it because at this point they go, well, and I kind of the opinion, I have nothing to hide. They're in my stuff anyway, probably searching, and it's okay. But the other end of it, where does that line stop when it comes to surveilling the people of the United States, our freedom for our security, because that, I guess is the eternal question that we have to ask.
Speaker 12: And at what point does it become entrapment? I think an officer and agent posing as an ISIS person, you know, an ISIS recruiter or an ISIS expert online would probably have a pretty convincing argument, you know, if it went to a jury trial. But your bigger point about privacy, what we say, what you know, with whom we communicate, what we put in writing. If you read the Patriot Act that Congress passed after the nine to eleven attacks, law enforcement has very broad authority, very broad. And the cyber realm, as you know, is global and it's all encompassing, and it's well, hey, it's in your phone right now if they want to track with whom you are communicating. But if it's an ISIS operative or someone posing as an isis operative? I think an average American would say, that's the sort of law enforcement and you know, protective and preventive action that we want to see, not you know necessarily what the politics are that you're discussing. But if there are weapons and attacks and planning taking place, I think, Sterling, you know, we're way past that line of entrapment. We're talking about actual threats to Americans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not a good scenario looking back at this because doctor Schleck, you published the first textbook on terrorism, so historically, when we look back across the country and for that matter, around the world, and I was a hatchling in the seventies, just a tiny sterling, but I look back at it, and you heard, at least in the early part of the seventies, mid seventies, in the late sixties, there was a lot of terrorism of one type or another done domestically. I mean, there were department stores that were being bombed. There were a lot of different pieces and parts going on with unrest in this nation in a lot of ways. Are we not safer now from terrorism than we were? Are we more scared unreasonably from it? Or I mean, where do we stand now in twenty six the second of January, compared to say, nineteen seventy six in the bi centennial year with two fifty in front of us.
Speaker 12: Oh, what a great question. You know, the sixties and the seventies there was there was a anti war movement going on, and another number of many other movements. We fast forward up to two thousand and one. What was the FBI saying at the time was the greatest threat of terrorism in our country environmental terrorism? They completely you know, we we were not even in the right part of the conversation. Think about people who've grown up, say you know gen Zs and others, they've lived a whole lifetime where there's there's always been a nine to eleven and there's always been massive social media life going on. I think they, you know, people who are twenty five may find it a lot easier to expect both law enforcement intrusions and privacy to be happening, almost taking it for granted. Where as a person your age or my age, you know, raises these questions about privacy, but the threat is small. But what happens when it actually occurs a large public venue, massive civilian casualties, incredible media coverage, you know, everyone is riveted by the attention and then comes to a cult part about knowing how to react or as we often do, if we go back to two thousand and one, overreact rather than you know, find the really most effective and least costly to democracy solutions to these problems. We've been down a very steep learning curve in terms of terrorism. What happened with this aborted attack in Charlotte, North Carolina, I think is evidence that law enforcement now knows that terrorism is also a game of prevention. This is not just finding them and prosecuting them. To truly protect the public, it has to be protective and preventive. My heart goes out to the people in Australia. I don't know if you saw the big demonstration on New Year's Day, people showing up just to show their solidarity with the Jewish community in Australia. But you know, the threats are so small, and yet when they do happen, they're enormous. Uh and and they're there. These are average Americans. Write somebody down in New Orleans. You know, for for a big gathering, it's people just like us, wrong place, wrong time. It could be any of us and that's why it strikes people with the intense media coverage, the shocking nature of the violence. Uh So it has grabbed our attention again. You're right, the numbers of Americans who die from this very small, but you know you're you're at much greater risk driving your car in American traffic. Uh But nonetheless, when it does happen, everybody can be everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's horrific for the individuals involved. And then the nature of it is to to instill fear. And I refuse to let someone dictate how I'm going to live my life out of the idea of fear. But it's it's a very effective tool. Doctor donas Schleig, former had a political science at Right State Now. Professor Merida was stirling on the we're short on time, and I appreciate you making so much time of it as here on the second day of January twenty six talking about this quash attack. Thankfully that did not happen in Charlotte. There are a lot of them that we never hear about constantly. Law enforcement pick a layer of that from the federal level on down to local police, county sheriffs, and so on. In people eyeballing things and letting people know about the danger or what they perceive as a danger that could be a threat. But we also look at state actors. Iran is one of those who has helped sort of facilitate terrorism globally, as it's been reported, whether it's hamas other organizations. The president just came out with a public warning which may or may not be unusual about their treatment of what considered peaceful protesters there to the extreme, which is ironic because there's been talk of protesters here and how they'd be dealt with two. But they're a part of this as well. In the idea of a nation state in sponsoring either terrorism or an attack. You think of infrastructure, right, you think of knocking off social media, You think about the electricity, you think about water, You think about all these vulnerabilities that are out there. And then the very cheap individual either loose cannon off the rails, unhinged, motivated by or really affiliated with another organization, state sponsored or isis type or what It doesn't take much to cause great loss of life, carnage and fear. I mean that is I guess one of the the upsides if someone is the idea of affecting terrorists and how it affects a society, is it not.
Speaker 12: It is very much in that public response component. You're right, and what can people do? Be informed, be aware, and have these conversations about you know what you see here, learn on social media. Americans are very safe in their lives and in their property. We are very safe. And yet even with the newness of this terrorism threat, every time I'm recalling both Bondai and a year ago in New Orleans, the public reaction because we all see ourselves in those victims. Any of us could been there. It is the powerful weapon of the week of the impotent, turning many of our strengths against us. And that is why the public conversation, the awareness, bringing to light the story of this something that didn't happen right. This is the great lesson for the public to be appreciative of the work that goes on twenty four hours a day trying to track these groups. The affiliations with isis make it possible for law enforcement to do this work. The lone wolf actors, though, those are the really you know, the real truly difficult challenges if you are completely if you're not reaching out on social media to talk to someone you think is an isis and knows how to mix explosives. Uh, it will be very difficult to bring you to the attention of law enforcement. So this is another one of those many edges in social media we keep discovering. And whether or not we're getting much cooperation from the social media text I don't know, but kudos to the team in New York. Uh, Times Square was safe, and now it turns out this little town, little community in Charlotte will be safe as well. I'll be following this one. They were, They've got There are a couple of interesting twists and comparisons, as I said to the gentleman who was arrested for the DC pipe bombing attacks, but people need to be informed, and when it does happen, the immediate desire for this, you know, the swiftest, most potent, most power or full of striking response is probably not going to be the best one.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's not the hammer that you needed. Something I guess smaller.
Speaker 12: Well put, well put.
Speaker 1: What's interesting about this is it all sort of comes together?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Statistically we are safer than we've ever been, but there's in some ways more danger and threat out there. And the instantaneous sharing of information, which we did not have decades ago, is there as well. It's not just checking you know, somebody's library card history that they took out or stole the you know, the anarchist cookbook from the library downtown. It's online who they were talking to, what they've been doing, and information they've been searching, and then credit card records and everything. I mean, it's out there. The information. Hard to hide your trail. If you're out there looking to do bad things.
Speaker 12: It is hard to hide your trail. It's also hard to fight an ideology, and that is what I as and it appeals. It has a certain appeal. I think that that that that instruct us where to watch who might be susceptible, as you mentioned earlier, But it is an idea and that is always going to be the most difficult one to try to control.
Speaker 1: There you go, well, hopefully there's more good news about something like this being put down rather than having us you do the reaction after so heads off to law enforcement and all those involved doing it, and save for forrest through the second day of January twenty sixth, Doctor Donashle like, thank you for making time in doing what you do. Former head of political science. She's Professor Meredith from Wright State University and Cincinnati's her hometown. Happy New Year to you and thank you, and we'll catch up against him.
Speaker 12: Talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Thanks Sterling, take care of yourself. More Sterling coming back your ten third reports straight away. Brady Hopkins has that, and we will get a little bit into this story. It's horrific about this eleven year old girl who was gunned down in the park. Details straight away here seven hundred WLW and already talk of a senseless killing and Cincinnati year old girl shot killed playing in the West End Thursday night, New Year's and it's just bewildering, to be honest with you. Laura playground, it's right there at West Liberty in John Street about six o'clock. Heard it on the news just a few minutes ago, Brady and wcpo's got a great coverage of this as well. Girl Queen heer a reed just eleven. So you're talking what fifth, sixth grade something like that. She's taken to children's hospital after being a shot. She was playing with their relatives kids in the in the park and just one gunshot wound. Nobody at this point has been detained, as I understand it, or arrested. At this point. They are in search of and hoping that someone can point the finger and identify individual responsible or individuals responsible for this. It is mind numbing. It is bewildering day after day, week after week, month after month, now year after year. And I know crime status that were just published recently showing a downtick and crime generally across the country in most cities around the country, violent crime and so forth. But there are spots that it is an everyday occurrence. In one of those things that happens a lot, you know, in a neighborhood that has somewhere less than seven thousand people living there on a very regular basis. Down there you get thirty people, forty people shot, as it's been reported time and time again. And what has been done. More street patrols have been talked about over this last summer. Obviously, you got you know, a former police chief who's on the sideline, interim police chief hand. He's come out to talk about how horrible this is, senseless act of violence and heartbreaking. Yeah, it is, for sure, But I want to I just want what exactly is the deal with this, why is this going? And we don't know who to blame at this point other than someone who was out there discharging a firearm who had no business one in their hand, in their possession doing dumb ass things, whether it was with deliberate intent gunning down and firing at these kids, and this poor little girl eleven years old and her family dealing with the aftermath of this, trying to make sense of it. It's just heart wrenching and it's hard to process. And one of the things that came up in the w cpo's report on this, they talked to Noah O'Brien's West End Community Council member right there talking about the issue of violence in the neighborhood, says, you know, and in some of the stuff that we've talked about time and time again on my show, and you've heard it all over the Big One. You heard it being talked about time and time again. You know, more police, more people being more aware, the idea of deconcentrating poverty, which in some cases I guess could be it. But you know what, I grew up poor and I wasn't out on the street doing crime and hurting other people. So I don't necessarily believe that poverty or being poor in that desperation is the causation of somebody gunning down a kid on a playground, but certainly for a lot of other crime that's going on, perhaps you had that desperation and looking to cash, you know, get cash that you worked for, that I worked for, or in the stuff that we've bought to grab to sell, or drug addle behavior, whatever else it is, I don't know. And then the other thing in this story that is and I wasn't there. Chances are you weren't there. This is the family's grieving and dealing with this. They go to the hospital and apparently then there were issues in their communication and being able to grieve and see the baby girl eleven years old after she had passed in stoad up to it and waiting, as it's been reported to end up going to the funeral home to navigate that, which is a whole nother layer of insult to injury if it's accurate as it's been reported in that type of circumstance. And I know people get emotional and so forth when you have something like this happen. I want to open up the phones give you a chance to sound off. I would like to know in all seriousness, because I mean, you know a lot of people come out there talk about you know what the solution is, how do you prevent this because we don't know who's responsible yet. I mean, there was a story the other day. I think it's a fourteen year old or an eleven year old is ends up being held accountable for or held as a result of a shooting of another kid. It was either an eleven year old shooting a fourteen year old, a fourteen year old shooting an eleven year old. I think it was up in Dayton. And this is happening all over the place, even while overall crime violent crime has gone down. So I mean, it's all the usual things right, got parenting, You could argue God needing to be more involved. Whatever it is, there's something missing from the individual's lives who have decided that being quick to the gun. Whether it's a stolen firearm that somebody did not maintain control of as they should, or someone who did not maintain control of it in the house and a kid gets their hands on it, or it's criminals doing criminal stuff. And I have the opinion that you know what, it's criminals killing criminals. I'm kind of alright with that, because that's I mean, that's just criminals doing criminal stuff. But when it's individuals that are innocent, that are minding their own business that are victims of either the crime or in this case, a senseless act of violence an eleven year old child, it makes no sense to me. Five point three seven four nine seven, eight hundred the big one. You can use the talk bag feature on the iHeartRadio app. If you're streaming there, click on the microphone. I mean, what more can you do? I mean, you'd like to be of the idea of prevention. You know, we're talking about more people on the street in law enforcement doing it, and that's what they've done in Cincinnati with the Ohio State Patrol and partnering up with them, and it has in fact beefed up felony arrest and getting some of those repeat offenders off the streets and going after those who already had warrants on them and getting them locked up and keeping them locked up. Because so much of the crime and the stuff that makes the news and the headlines are individuals who are in the business of criminal behavior and repeat offenders. We don't know yet this particular case and who should be held accountable and culpable for this horrible thing. But what do you do? What do you tell this child's family, the mom and the kids, they weren't they're not even from here, they were visiting for like the holiday. I mean, it's just horrible. I want to know what you think. To West Union, Steve's first was Sterling on the Big One and room for you five one, three, seven, nine hundred the Big One. Hey, Steve, what do you know?
Speaker 5: Sterling?
Speaker 1: Happy New Year?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 5: Doesn't everybody have a phone that has a camera on it?
Speaker 1: Most of us?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 5: How about we can do that with our cities. I mean, how much could it cost? I mean, one little girl's life? But a million dollars? Two million dollars?
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know how you can't. Yeah, I mean there are a lot of cameras all over the place, but apparently not enough.
Speaker 5: Eat More and zoning needs to change the rules when they make playgrounds to put block walls attractive block walls around the playground to about five feet.
Speaker 3: That'll stop a lot of it.
Speaker 1: It could. Well, here's the other side. Then you have a wall, and then if you're in the park and somebody wants to do no good inside the park, then you're sort of trapped with the wall. You have to then figure a way to get out and navigate it too.
Speaker 5: A lot of kids, they're going to make a fuss and parents are going to be in there and they're going to take care of business. But it's going to stop drive by shootings across playgrounds.
Speaker 1: It could be. I'm not sure at this point, and I was looking at trying to find every bit of information I could about this, because I try to have half an idea what I'm talking about before I open my mouth, though it may not always sound like it.
Speaker 5: Technology has the solution out there. You just got to put it where it needs to be. And the Cinnati is not necessarily doing that because they're very reactive and they don't do things until something really bad happens. Another thing that I'm a little bit concerned with was these people when they took their when their daughter was taken emergency, they were treated very badly.
Speaker 1: That's what I've heard too.
Speaker 5: And I think that's just atrocious. What it does. It happen so much that these people are just numb to it and just don't care.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would like to know what happened, and they're going to have to wade through it, and the hospital is going to have to figure out how they put a good spin on it. But it is a bad look if it as as reported that this went down that way, And you know, people get very emotional sometimes and it's hard to navigate maybe a large group of people. But I wasn't there. I didn't witness it. I haven't seen any video of it. But what it has been described as this situation as you're talking about, Yeah, it sounds like the family was treated less than decently.
Speaker 5: The thing is that if you have the cameras in place, you're going to catch these culprints a lot because you don't have film, and it'll stop eventually. I can't imagine there's more than six five hundred thugs and Cincinnati making it awful forever money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's what they've talked about, and that's one of the things that they've tried to go after these felony warrants in these repeat offenders because it is a small number of people generally that they're wreaking a lot of the having Steve, I appreciate the comment. Thank you, and have a great new year. It's good to talk to you. I'm sorry it's about a horrible topic like this, but I figured it needed to be talked about. Take care of yourself, Steve. Thanks. You know it's for a talk show host to be speechless is probably not a great thing to admit. But I really have a hard time just understanding, you know, and we don't know who's responsible yet for this. Kids should be able to go to a park six o'clock. I mean it's you know, it maybe after dark, but there's lights and it's six o'clock, and you figure the park could be a safe place to go and it's not something you should have to worry about, is you know, gunfire and rounds whizzing by your head or you know, killing your child at eleven years old? Who you would think the park is where you'd be safe in doing what you're supposed to be doing, which is playing in off the street in a way from trouble. And you know, whether it's somebody out there firing rounds indiscriminately from a distance, or if it was something more intentional directly or otherwise you know, if not negligent either way, somebody should be held accountable. And too many stories, I mean just in the last week to ten days, and I mentioned this on the show that it was in New Year's Eve, and I talked about my time in New Orleans and celebratory gunfire, which is really a misnomer to me in that it's commonplace for people to pop off some rounds for New Year's or pop off some rounds because it's Christmas, or pick another reason to celebrate. I've never once thought I'd grab a weapon out of the box at home or the closet or whatever and go out and fire some rounds up into the sky. And in New Orleans, what happened New Years years ago when I was there working before I came back home to Cincinnati and Ohio, here is a woman ended up fallingbeknownst to anyone around or initially trying to figure out what happened to her. Because she collapsed is because she took a round to the top of her head because somebody was firing into the sky to celebrate the New year, and it dropped her dead. And there was a story in the last week to ten days about a guy who had a new weapon, and he went out in his backyard and started, you know, a target practice it like a can or a couple of cans, and apparently that one round of his travels a couple of blocks, because yeah, they don't just stop where you want the round to stop, and then ended up hitting an older woman who had a baby in her arms. Thankfully didn't hit the child, but it hit her either threw her arm, clipped her arm and into her chest cavity, and ended up killing her. So, whether it's indiscriminate gunfire to the sky, somebody else being an idiot and a moron firing target practice without a proper stop to keep those around them safe, or if it was someone up to no good driving around looking to gun people down, or someone indiscriminately firing her weapons, someone needs to be found and held accountable for this. And as far as I'm concerned, if it's a parent that had a weapon that got into the hands of a child who shouldn't have had it, then the parents need to be held responsible for not maintaining control of that firearm. And that's in any situation, not just one here where it ends up somebody you know, loses their child. It's devastating. I mean it, And I don't want to sound like ranning and raving and you know and hate mongering or anything else. But it's just unnecessary. Life's hard enough, you know, celebrate New Year's hanging out with family, You're at the park. You should be safe. You shouldn't have to worry about this. Let's get Jake here seven hundred WLW with Sterling Jake, thanks for holding Happy New Year.
Speaker 3: What's up, hey, Charlotte, happening here?
Speaker 13: You know, I went to the University of Cincinnati in the nineties early nineties, and I experienced I don't think it's changed much. It's I got into a situation where we were just oking up. We were guys getting ready to go to a party liberally on East University air sided short ning and a couple of young guys come up to us. We were loading up beers like there was some beers.
Speaker 4: No, we don't want that.
Speaker 3: We just let us go.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Nexty, I know, I'm in a.
Speaker 13: Fight, leaning in the middle of the road. Tops come by, don't do anything fight, and I'm running with like, let's get out of here on my ale.
Speaker 10: Let's know, I run down to the.
Speaker 13: Corner park old with young people.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 13: Oh, I ain't gonna fight all them. Next you know, young kids run up to me. Fire's a gun off next to my head. No, no, no, it's still to this day something I don't forget. I didn't know if I was dead or ali at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you tend to remember when somebody points a gun at you or discharges it close to you in a threatening manner. I had a guy in the furniture store my mom worked at when I was a kid. I don't think I was yet six. I don't think I was in kindergarten maybe first grade of most and they came in and robbed the furniture store, and they put a gun in my face, told me to go to the bathroom and stay there. They couldn't find me after. You know, when the police came, initially they were trying to figure out where I had gone because I kind of picked up on the idea that the gun in my face was fairly serious. And I stayed in that bathroom until they were like, hey, where are you? Because you know, I realized the danger. It will rattle you. It stays with you.
Speaker 3: Oh, it did it completely. And the thing was.
Speaker 6: You know, I lived in the dorm there and.
Speaker 13: On campus and I lived off campus, and it's really not changed much. I mean from what i'm I have lived there in years. I'm fifty now. I mean that was twenty five years ago. But from what here now, it wasn't safe in the nineties. In the early nineties.
Speaker 3: I mean, we had we.
Speaker 13: Went to a concert at Bogart's one time when we parked down the road from there, and it was I there's a Catholic church there where it's just below the road level, and some young punks come up and just started urinating on the front of the car above huh, and we ran to get police. They did eventually show up, and then but before that they came down and ran down, you know. I mean, it was just it was not a fun time in the nineties either.
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't. I can remember when I was before Kisses Kiss one O seven. It was Channel Z and I had a lot of knights, of bowguards, a lot of clubs and around their top cats, et cetera, short vine all that, you know, and regularly it was a lot of skater punks and others begging for change, meth heads and that type of thing. And uh yeah, I mean I think every there's always going to be a little of that. It's kind of like when you turn a light on and roaches flee. That's kind of one of a better way to say it that I think a lot of that is and it's constant, but you can't condone it. And it's the little stuff too, you know. And that's the thing. I just don't know how you explained of somebody that they're eleven year old kid is dead because they went to a playground on New Year's Day and didn't get out of the park alive. Effectively, it's insane.
Speaker 13: It's the youth they need since there's a big.
Speaker 3: Problem with it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know where is no Jake, I appreciate the comment. I hope you have a great New year. Thank you for sharing that. I'm sorry you've dealt with that. And here's the thing, I've been really lucky in that. I Mean a lot of people tell me how scared or uncomfortable they are going here or there around downtown or OTR or other places, and maybe I'm I'm an idiot or something. I mean, I try to be aware. I've been raised to be aware. But I go to restaurants, I go get drinks here and there, and I've been lucky to not have, you know, many problems aside from you know what I mentioned as a kid the first time, and I've had somebody pointing gout to me more than once. But it does rattle you, it will stick with you. And you know, I was always raised in tall subsequent to that, you know, you don't point a weapon at somebody or something unless you plan to destroy it or are willing to do so. So I tend to take that fairly seriously. But we have a major problem with a devaluation of life in a lot of circles, and the quick nature of solution and problem solving with a gun rather than other ways to de escalate, and the value of life for certain people is very small, including their own self respect. And that is you know, not knowing who's responsible for the shooting of this eleven year old child and taking her life. But just in general, we have a problem with that, even though overall our crime numbers are down around the country, it is a systemic issue. It is a sickness of some sort, and I guess there is no real easy way to get to a solution. My heart goes out to this family and I hope they get some justice and someone will be able to speak to those responsible for this to pay a price for taking this girl's life and putting this family through the pain that they're going through. Your eleven o'clock report is straight away. I had a conversation with University of Cincinnati's doctor Christino Day about living better in the new year. An update on the flu which is getting around pretty nasty, and maybe some over over indulgence still going on this New Year's weekend with a whole lot of people partying and probably having some issues with dehydration and hangovers. That's coming up after your eleven o'clock report. Right here on the home of the football Bearcats who lost in Liberty Bowl earlier tonight, you got some basketball bear Cats in action. Tomorrow, you got the Bengals in action Sunday to wrap up this season with the Browns coming to town. And this is the home of the best Bengals coverage. News Radio seven hundred WLW Cincinnati seven hundred w Welw Sterling hanging out, trying to be healthier on a New Years My first resolution this is the second New Year's in ear row where I found myself with what my Anileen would call it the croup. I think some people call it maybe bronchias. The flu is going around big time, and what I initially thought it was was allergies, but clearly I've got something more. But thankfully on the phone, not in person, not having to deal with that possibility. Is doctor Christine O'Day from UC Health. Welcome to seven hundred w welw, Happy New Year.
Speaker 14: Happy New Year, Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Let's start with flu stuff before we start talking maybe about resolutions and living better and people hitting the bottle of New Year's who were amateurs who need to like reevaluate some things, maybe even right now, hopefully not behind the wheel. So doctor oday, flu season, because and I kind of sickly, I called the doctor like, don't come here. How bad is this flu season?
Speaker 14: Well, we're definitely seeing that cases are on the rise over the last few weeks. You know, we see this often during the holidays, when people are inside, they're at parties, they're exposed to a lot of germs. So we're definitely seeing a rise in influenza in particular, and particular influenza A, and so it is definitely going up at this time of year.
Speaker 1: I was good. I tend to get my shots. I take the dog and then I go to my pharmacy and get my jabs as well with the covid, the flu vaccine and everything. You mentioned the type of a strain I guess of this flu doctor oday. So this from what I understand, the prevalent see of that is not exactly what was under the umbrella of what this flu shot was targeting. But the flu shot still helps, is that correct?
Speaker 14: That's correct. We are seeing a new variant, and you know, the influenza virus does change every year. That's why we have to get a flu shot every year, because we create a new flu vaccine to cover whatever variants we think are going to be out there. There is a new variant that is partially covered by this by the flu shot that's out there, So we encourage people for sure to get their flu shot. The new variant is we think maybe causing a little bit more severe of a flu season, and so it is important to take all precautions that you can in terms of first of all, getting the flu shot, like you said, and you know, doing what you can to stay healthy, so eating well and healthy, getting enough sleep, drinking enough fluids, and certainly if you're sick, if you have a cough, cold fever, stay home if you can. If you have to go out, wear a mask so you're not passing those germs along to other people.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is the season of sharing germs and a whole lot of celebration and stuff along with it. From University of Cincinnati. It's a doctor Christine O'Day was sterling men eating better and sleeping which I could do better of hydrating in the right fluids, right, and we're not necessarily talking about boozing it up in celebration and maybe the last couple of weeks with the holidays, how bad does that stretch of holiday celebration affect people as they start thinking into the new year of living better? Because that's one of those things that I'm always trying to talk about on the show and just in life, which is to try to get to the next level and hopefully stick around healthier longer. On this a little big blue marble, I guess is what we want to call it.
Speaker 14: A earth Well, I think you know, the New Year is a really good time to kind of think about how do we get healthy. Certainly during the holidays, many of us kind of fall out of our usual routines. Maybe we don't exercise as much as usual, and we're eating foods that are maybe not as healthy as we would like.
Speaker 1: But they're so good. Why are all the bad foods, by the way, doctor O'Day so good? Seriously?
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, it's tough, but there's lots of really good foods that are healthy, right, True is a good time at the new year to kind of get back on the bandwagon and to maybe set some goals for yourself to become a little bit more healthy. And you know, it's it's hard to make changes. It's hard to make a lot of big changes all at once. So what I really encourage patients to do is to maybe choose one small thing to work on. Instead of just saying I'm gonna try to live healthier or try to change my diet, maybe just choose one thing and work on that. So we talk about things like smart goals, where s is a specifical So instead of saying I'm just gonna eat healthier, maybe say, Okay, I'm going to try to eat more fruits and vegetables as my specific goal. And then M stands for measurable seat of just more fruits and vegetables. Set a goal of say, three fruits and vegetables every day, and make it something achievable, something that you can actually change in your diet or something that you can change in your life. Our stands for reasonable relevant, something that you feel like you can actually achieve. And then finally, TEA stands for time, So that means that you set a time bound goal for yourself so that I'm going to start eating three fruits and vegetables every day for the next month, and then you can celebrate those those small changes and celebrate those winds, and that makes it a little bit easier and I think it's more achievable to actually make those changes.
Speaker 1: So baby steps, So we do that, don't we. We make these grand ideas that we put in front of us that are challenging, and then within the first quarter of the new year, you know, I'm going to go to the gym every week, I'm going to let me eat better, I'm going to drink less, I'm going to sleep all these things that we just talked about doctor oday. And then people are disillusions, dissatisfied, and they're off the rails before summer gets here. So I guess living better maybe I want to say living better through lowered expectations, but just small incremental changes can make a big difference.
Speaker 14: Yeah, absolutely, I think that really helps a lot because you get more motivated than when you've achieved something, and then you can move on to your next, smaller, next goal. Right, So, once you say, set a goal to start exercising and walking maybe fifteen minutes three times a week, then you can increase that to twenty minutes. And once you've done that, then you can increase it a little bit more, and so it's a little bit easier to make those changes. So and I also encourage folks to write those goals down and share them with somebody, so it's always easier to do something. Is that a goal? When you have a partner, you know who you're accountable to, and that maybe you're working on the same goal together.
Speaker 1: The thing text you and call you and tell you to get out of the house and that you're supposed to be here now go. You know that kind of scenario. It does help to have a buddy and working out or anything else. Absolutely, Doctor Christino Days from University of Cincinnati talking about living better in the new year. Who's worse at taking care of themselves? Men or women? I get told that. You know, I can't speak for all dudes, but I can say that we maybe are a little bit more animated in wine, in our misery, whether it's the sickness that I have now or other stuff, compared to women. But overall with caring for ourselves, is there a trait that men or women in one way or the other are better or worse?
Speaker 14: You know, I'm not sure that I know the answer to that, nor do I want to weigh in on that one. But it's a good question. But now, how was the time of year for all of us to kind of work on that?
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, I think so. It's just one of those things. I think a lot of us guys will put stuff off, oftentimes not being proactive. We'll think about it and take care of the car better than we do ourselves sometimes with just regular maintenance.
Speaker 14: Well, you know, I think it's always good to have a partner who is going to support you in your lifestyle and health goals. Right, Yeah, And so you know, having somebody who can encourage you. First of all, like to eat healthy and being around somebody who's also eating healthy is really important. And also somebody who's going to encourage you to, for example, get a primary care provider if you don't have one, and see your you know, your primary care provider regularly. It's just good to be around people who are going to support you in a healthy lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Talking to doctor Christino Day from University of Cincinnati, and you've worked a little bit more with accessibility in primary care situations around the tri State with you see as well.
Speaker 14: Yeah, absolutely. Our goal that you see is for everybody to be able to have a primary care provider and to make Cincinnati a healthy city, and we know that primary care providers are really an important way to.
Speaker 3: Do that.
Speaker 14: So you know, if somebody doesn't have a primary care provider, I do encourage them to reach out and establish before you get sick, and also then you can so when you get sick you have somebody to call, but also to check in once a year just to make sure that you're up to date on all the health maintenance. There's a lot of immunizations now that are available and important for adults to get as well as kids. And also there's just a lot of important screenings that need to be done for things like breast cancer screening, cervical cancer screening, colon cancer screening. So I do encourage people to get a primary care provider and establish and see them regularly.
Speaker 1: And doctor Christino days a share of family and community medicine. You see hell Sterling seven hundred WLW New Year's Eve a lot of people out and about, but oftentimes it's amateur night. It's people that over indulge, who don't drink very much at all, if ever, and then they end up a mess and hungover and miserable with a brown bag flu to in this case because of the way the New Year falls, maybe skipping out work if they don't already have time off, or just miserable and more vulnerable for some of this flu and other stuff there too. What do you tell people who are out and about tonight or are going to be even at home maybe listening, we're probably hitting it a little bit harder than normal. How do they avoid ending up waking up absolutely miserable with that head throb and trying to figure out what food they should eat or have hair of the dog of the bite.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so we're learning so much more about how alcohol affects our bodies. And really what we're learning is that there's no safe amount of alcohol.
Speaker 1: So the horrible I mean seriously, I think bourgelais nouveaux up in Mount Adams, so no alcohol at all. So the idea of moderation isn't even really a good idea.
Speaker 14: Well, what I'm saying is that there if you're going to drink, drink and moderation. What we recommend for women is no more than two drinks per sitting and for men no more than three drinks per sitting. And what we define as a drink is a twelve ounce bottle of beer, six ounces of wine, or one shot, And so if you choose to drink, limit it to that amount. If you're going to be drinking, make sure you're drinking, you're drinking lots of fluids and non alcoholic beverages as well. Make sure that you're eating while you're drinking as well, and that you're kind of pacting yourself so that you're not drinking very quickly, that you're spacing it out over the course of the evening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the older we get, we get more experience. But a lot of times you think of college kids and so forth, who you know are just out free for the first time in their lives, over indulging in sort of learning the hard way with it. But it seems like this continues for a lot of us grown ups as well, around the holidays, New Years, et cetera.
Speaker 5: Two.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Yeah, alcohol does affect our bodies, and it affects our liver and affects our blood pressure, our hearts, and so as we're learning more about alcohol, we realize that it really can have quite a bit of effects negative effects on our body. So if you're going to drink, you know, drink and moderation and make sure that you're drinking lots of other fluids as well and eating at the same time.
Speaker 1: Talking to doctor Christino day Chair Family and Community Medicine, you see how Sterling seven hundred w welw final question here. When I was in Las Veig, just working before I came back here some years ago, I had a guy on the show and he was talking about IVS for people not just being dehydrated hanging out in the desert, but after over indulging, and he was doing quite a bang up business with people getting IVS at his wellness center, as he called it, after a hangover. And I've seen these things brought up all over the Tri State as well. What do we know about that is that just like somebody selling I don't know, snake oil or whatever you want to call it or what.
Speaker 14: Well, I think what we see is that it is really important to stay really really hydrated and to drink fluids that have lots of electrolytes in them. And so that's kind of what you're getting when you're getting one of the IV fluids, is you're just getting lots of fluid. And so unless you're vomiting, unless you're not able to keep fluids down, you know, I think most people can drink and take those fluids orally so things even like the electrolyte drinks like GLA or things like that. Yeah, those have a lot of the salts and the electrolytes in them, and so just staying really well hydrated is so important and will help people feel better.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate your timing, your insight. I hope you have a fantastic new Year and hopefully people will be healthier and we can maybe contributed to that a little bit and with your help, certainly Chairfamily Community Medicine youseehealth dot com. You can find out more there. Doctor Christino Day, Happy New Year, Thank you for making time. I hope you'll come back and we can do this again.
Speaker 14: Thank you so much for having me, Sterling, and Happy New.
Speaker 1: Year, Happy New Year, more Sterling. Seven hundred WLW same Sunday and close to fifty on Monday, which that's not too bad for first part of January. It's a ball me twenty seven. Now you're severe Weather station seven hundred WLW. Glad you're along. It's pretty wild. Well, let me to mention this. It's not great new I mean maybe if you've been under a rock, unplugged, unaware, you know, I mean a New Year's week, it's kind of wild holidays I understand. Maybe football bear Cats had a hard time in Memphis Town the Liberty Bowl. Navy's midshipman handled the bear Cats pretty easily. They were down a whole lot of defensive back, starting quarterback entering the portal. Those guys onto the next place looking to get paid more, and the Bearcats had to carry on without them, and they fall thirty five thirteen and to wait till next year to try to better their situation, and they have to go shopping for some more talent. I'm all for these athletes getting paid, but it gets very weird trying to put together a team every year from scratch or nearly from scratch, depending on the circumstance. It's tough. You know, who really did well in the midst of portal and rebuilding and reconstructing a team. It's a team for almost my entire childhood that sucked, which is the dais uh? You know they play on in the college football playoff. If I'm not mistaken, they're undefeated, and it seemed like my entire childhood all they did was get beat up and lose. It's tough. I mean, seriously, five point three seven four nine seven, eight hundred. The big one. Your chance to get interact with Kevin Carr, conversation with him about, well, what's new with the movies this week? And maybe look back at twenty five at anything that's worth our time, maybe playing catch up on because there's just so many things to see. I will never if there is nothing else new created to be added to any of my next list or cues or whatever. Else do you want to call it? Pick a streaming service. I could start watching stuff now and probably not even get through the Netflix watch list, let alone Prime in Hulu, in HBO, and on and on it goes. I mean, it is unreal. And if you are one of those souls who remember MTV, h the beginning of the year brought basically the end to I think, if not all, of most of their all music channels have gone the way of the most phone booths, which is history, which is kind of weird. And they ended the way they started, which is video killed the radio star, which it didn't because they're still doing it in the iHeartRadio is bigger than ever and on demand. And you can leave me a message just by clicking on that microphone. See how I did that. I'm a professional. I put it together quickly. Let's get to Sue and Covington. She says, as a cure for my sickness before the news you got about thirty seconds. Can you heal me?
Speaker 3: Sue?
Speaker 15: Yes, I can.
Speaker 1: I wish somebody would. What do you have?
Speaker 15: Are you sure it's bronchitis or in your chest?
Speaker 1: I had chest everything. I'm feeling a little better now, but I've had gallons of water and emergency and too much coffee.
Speaker 15: Okay, all right, I head Every year I would get a case of bronchitis because I taught at school and my doctor. One year I went three months in a row. He gave me prescriptions, got rid of it for a couple of weeks. Then it came back the third time. I when he gave me a canful of samples, and I thought, I'm not calling with this. I had bought a book at a book sale by a French herbalist whose father was a French herbalist. I looked up everything dealing with head, nosed, throat and chest. Yes, the one recurring thing was the turnip cure, which all my friendings would do the except sign and say.
Speaker 1: No, no, I love turnips. What do you do with the turnative?
Speaker 15: Well, I didn't like turnips, and going to the grocery, I told mother to remind me to get turnips, and if she'd been driving, she would have been up a telephone pole. What you do is you get a couple of medium sized, well smaller, depending if you want to just give it a try at the beginning turnips, feel them, dice them up, cook them because they'll cook quicker when they're diced small.
Speaker 1: Sure, drain them, put them in.
Speaker 15: A mount blender, add enough milk that it's sort of like a shape medium, and then add honey.
Speaker 3: You know you got.
Speaker 1: Turnips and honey are great. I'm not a big fan of the milk. If I can, I have chocolate milk.
Speaker 3: With it.
Speaker 15: If you want to. Chocolate wasn't increased in there, but you could give it a try.
Speaker 1: I'll try it.
Speaker 15: I actually I had not had a case of bronchis since then, and that was like years ago.
Speaker 1: Well, Sue, I tell you what, I will try it. I'll track down some turnips tomorrow and I'll do it before next year. If I have a third New year sick with this nastiness, I'm just gonna call it quits. I appreciate you listening and helping, Sue. Thank you. I'll go in search of turnips like the dead Leonard Nimoy Brady Hopkins is like, really, turnip talk made me late for news. I'm sorry, he's got your eleven thirty report a minute late. Then Kevin Carr joins me on the other side. Sterling seven hundred WLW Did I blame it? On the cold medicine. How you doing? It's that season, and uh, I'm just trying to get through it. I am so hydrated. I was telling Russ off the I think the last three days, I've had probably better part of two gallons of water each of these days, plus coffee, which I should not have had. The good doctor made a point of that, and all I can tell you is that I spent a lot of time getting up and going to the bathroom, and I'm probably more hydrated than I've ever been, but maybe hopefully getting rid of this nasty sickness faster. But it is ridiculous, and I want to apologize now and get out in front of it, because it's better to get in front of it than after. So we used to have in the old days. You know, at different times in the studio space you could see the news person. But I have a window into a hallway, so does Russ. Travis lair Is doing news has like a big, super deluxe facility on the other side of the building. And I didn't realize that like Brady had tagged out, or that Matt Reese had tagged out, And then I introduced to the wrong guy, and then Travis is like no love, No, we love Travis. He is back with your midnight Report in about twenty one minutes. In the meantime, I talk about sickness and hydration and a guy who left town partner in the Chubby and Stick podcast that you might be able to find streaming someplace. It was one of the fat guys in the movies. Now, of course, silver Gecko on the sub stack. I'm talking about Kevin Carr, back from vacation, rested, relaxed, and tan, and he waited, of course, to get sick until he came home. How are you, how's life? How is everything car?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Happy nude ere Yeah, everything's good. You're right. I didn't get sick. I was on vacation over Christmas. I got sick right when I was traveling home. So if you're gonna get sick on vacation, that's the time to do it on your way back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why not be miserable at the house rather than wherever it is that you go to sun yourself or ski or whatever it is that makes you happy.
Speaker 3: It's terrible, Well yeah, I mean it's already no fun going home, you know, it already sucks to drive back or fly back or take a boat back or whatever. The return trip always is not nearly as fun as the anticipation of going. So yeah, but I know, I get hit by the flu and that thing. That's no joke, man, No, that's knocked me on my butt.
Speaker 1: It's been pretty bad for me for a couple of days. But no fever. So I came in trying to stay away from everybody, and I'll spray everything down in here. I've been bathing in like antibacterial stuff and hopped up on like emergency and goofballs. So everything is fine, good.
Speaker 3: To hear, nobody to get pulled over on the way home.
Speaker 1: I no, no, no, everything's fine. I'm not doing it while I'm here.
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm just chugging the costs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, correct, correct, Everything's great. So think of it back at twenty five, because you know you always tell us what's new and picks to watch and everything else. Is there anything new? This is a weird window of time, the way Christmas and New Year's has fallen. Is anything new? Before I start picking your brain about maybe what we've missed and stuff to catch up on from twenty five?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean there's like a couple of smaller things. There are a lot of times you get limited released huff the first weekend always that New Year, whatever that New Year's weekend is is always kind of an off wee. So there's nothing big even like what was weird is there weren't any real big opening on Christmas Day movies. I mean, there was Anna Condo I still want to see because it just looks stupid and fun. But but there was a song sung Blue, which is that Neil Diamond tribute kind of it's it's based on a true story starring Hugh Jackman and Kate Hudson, and that's that's fine, But there there was no big Christmas Day movie where sometimes things are like opening Christmas Day and I think that they knew that Avatar was going to suck the air out of the room, so they did. Everyone just kind of vacated the next week and then this week is always a dead week and then we you know, hit it hard, like next week with Private the Killer Chimpanzee movie and the In the green Lands two movie. If it wasn't enough to watch Gerard Butler try to save his family from everything on the planet, you got him coming back in this one as well.
Speaker 1: Nice, that's pretty good, uh is. First of all, let me ask you about this the movie that you just mentioned about Neil Diamond, But it's not really about him. That's about right, that's about these people who basically are a what do you want to call it a cover act?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah, Well they like to call themselves a Neil Diamond experience. You know, it's not even a tribute but inexperience, and it's it is based on a true story. There was a documentary about it about this guy who just loves Neil Diamond so much he kind of does the tribute band, meets another impersonator share her big thing is Patsy Klein. But then they work together to kind of do and they fall in love and they have this whole story. And with any story, there's ups and downs and good and bad things happening. And I mean that's it's a sweet enough story. It pushes all the right buttons. It's predictable, but you know that's the thing. Life kind of predictable for a lot of you. You know, you know something bad is gonna happen, you know that is gonna be bouncing back and all that kind of stuff. But I mean, it's it's a fine little movie. It does get a little heavy on the Neil Diamond songs, if you might If you find that hard to believe.
Speaker 1: Well you got to be a fan of Neil Diamond. You're probably not gonna watch anyway, which leads me to an interesting thing. I just read something that said one of the family members of I guess these people were not happy with the way they were portrayed or how the movie came out. Yet I've heard people say good things about the movie. So that's a weird thing. Great movie, but apparently not true to form, or at least the family members not happy with what they saw.
Speaker 3: What. Well, here's the thing when it comes to when it comes to true stories, is true, it's no one wants to see it. It's a boring movie. If everybody is always good and perfect and honest and above board, and nobody's like that. Everybody has their dark side, everybody has their flaws, everybody has their ups and downs and their good days and they're bad days. And so when I see a movie that's especially if it's even if it's a famous person biopic and it's like approved completely by the family, I was kind of like, well, that's probably not that good because you don't get the downside. Like there's a movie and there's no slight against Jesse Owens. He was an absolute hero. But there was a movie called Race that came out I don't ten years fifteen years ago, and it was it was a biopick about Jesse Owens and him going to the Olympics and winning and all that kind of stuff. But it was like like produced by his family. And I'm like, not that Jesse Owens had these dark skeletons in the closet or anything like that, but there was everybody has ups and downs, and everybody has good points and bad points, and the movie did feel a little bit sanitized, whereas if it's a you know, so, it may it may have shown something that's true. It's just maybe the family didn't like what was shown. I'm not a biographer of this these people, but that's one of the things you run into where they feel that they focused too much on this because it made them look a certain way and not enough about this. I mean, it's it's like anything if anyone did a story of your well, I don't know, for me, it could be one of those things I'd watch and I'd be like, well you kind of improved on things.
Speaker 1: So I mean I'm living the life. I could write it better than I'm living. Yes, I absolutely could. For me anyway, talking to Kevin Carr Silver Gecko on Substack with Sterling on seven hundred WLW. So all right, so let's move I guess back and look at it twenty five if possible, because there are always so many things that are put out, and now with streaming it's even more so. What is there? I mean, I don't know how many you have. If it's ten, if it's five, what are the like? If you miss this, must see go back stream it, find it because there are a lot of good things that just fall through the cracks because there's just simply so much stuff to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and I mean like like certain ones. Obviously, people know I really loved Superman. You know that. You remember me talking about that, absolutely, and that was that was a lot of fun. But but like some that and maybe we're lesser seen, and some of these are darker movies. I tend to fall into the horror appreciation. There was a movie that was called good Boy, and it came out I don't know, about four months ago, and it was about a dog and it's a horror moy told from the dog's perspective. And it starts a dog named Indy, who who's Who's should be in the running for best actor of any category of anything. You know, it should he should get the oscar. Oh, he's a very good boy. And it's it's it's a really interesting approach. And you know, it's got the best main subject as well, So that one is really good. If you haven't seen that, check that out. I think it's on shutter you can probably find it elsewhere. I also was a big thing. You had two fantastic Stephen King adaptations. One of them was The Long Walk, which is difficult to watch, came out I think in this late August or late summer August area. Very difficult to watch because it has heavy, dety subject matter. But it's a fantastic adaptation of the original Richard Bachman book that Stephen King kind of wrote under a pseudonym back in the seventies. But he also did The Monkey Osgod Perkins, the son of Anthony Perkins who played Norman Bates. He directed this this over the top, crazy violent tale about this this this little uh, well it used to have like this symbols, monkey had the symbols. They had to change it to him hitting a drum, the monkey with a drum for the movie.
Speaker 1: Well, what was that? Because they were going to sue them, or they didn't like the way that the toy was being shown or something or what.
Speaker 3: I think that some other company, like maybe it might have been like a toy story thing has a monkey with symbols, and so they said, let's just avoid that completely, even though the original story was a monkey with symbols. And it's just a bonkers movie. And if you like sort of these insane, over the top at darkly funny movies, the monkeys are fantastic. It's kind of off brand for Osgod Perkins because the stuff you saw long legs, I mean, that thing was heavy and grim, but this one, I mean it's an over the top splatterfest.
Speaker 1: Well there's nothing wrong with that. I mean, you got to be in the right mood. But I'm all for that. Uh tell me, But I know you have others in the list, but I'm just thinking about this one battle after another. Is that one of those that you would say this is that this is one of the better ones of ninety five. Or oh I just flashed back thirty years.
Speaker 3: I'm about to say that that's pt Anderson, that's in his infancy. No, this one's good. I mean, I'm not a I'm not a total acolyte of pt Anderson, but this was a This was a good movie. It's one of those ensemble movies because Leonard Dicapiro does a great job in it, Chase Infinity, who plays his daughter, she does a great job in it. Sean Penn as wickedly evil as the bad guy. Excuse me. Then cl del Toro is a hoot in this movie. So that, yeah, that was worth seeing. If you've not seen it, it is an experience. It's a little long, so I do warn you about that, but actually want to know what's real bonkers, check out Begonia Sometimes. That's the one where Emmastone plays like a CEO and Jesse Plemmon's kidnaps her thinking she's an alien, shaves off her head and and and is keeping her in her his basement because he doesn't want her to he wants to stop the alien invasion. It is. It is chilling because you're like you'd watch the movie and you'd be like, yeah, I know somebody like that, and I don't know somebody who would who might try that, you know what I mean? And it's it's very very disturbing at times.
Speaker 1: She's made some really really good films, hasn't she?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, and this is its dirrected by Yorgus Latmos, who did poor things which she won. What are her oscars for? So you see you see less of Emmastone in this one, then you do important, But you saw.
Speaker 1: All of Emma Stone, all of her, Yes she did, and that's not all bad as for sure? Anything else of the like well, because you mentioned in one two through Stephen King movies, Long Walk, The Monkey, Good Boys, Superman. Uh you mentioned Begonia? What what else?
Speaker 3: Any weapons? Weapons is a great movie if you've not seen that one. It's directed by it's written a director by Zach Craigor. He did Barbarian a couple of years ago. Originally started out in comedy doing the Whitest Kid, you know, Oh yeah, and lo and behold. He's a brilliant horror director. So Weapons is a fantastic movie, almost impossible to spoil because it's so twisted and convoluted in what it's trying to do. It's uh, it's you keep guessing even if you know what's going to happen. So it's and Amy Madigan is fantastic in that movie.
Speaker 1: Nice, okay, good good. I like him. Anything else of consequence before like we let you rest in, convalesce and do whatever it is you have to do. Hydrate. That's what I've been doing. I really I joke about the big drinks when we've gone to the movies together whatever in the catheter. But I have been consuming so much in the way of fluids to try to get through this sickness that a cather which I just went thinking about, might actually save me some time.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, well then the key is if you're sick, you don't want to have anything with too much caffeine in it. Now you can have tea like to drink and so your sues your throat. But no, that's why you go with like sprite seven up water whatever yeah, yeah, PD alighte or you know, cater raid or something like that.
Speaker 1: So this thirty ounce container the mug of ice coffee is a bad choice.
Speaker 3: Probably not a great idea. That's that's that's a lot of that's a lot of caffeine. Caffeine will dehydrate you'll you'll expel more than you take in.
Speaker 1: That might explain my need to go Yeah, okay, well yeah.
Speaker 3: But no, I would say. The only other thing I I I that that's really on my radar is you got the finale of Stranger Things that dropped on on it was it New Year's Eve or New Year's Day? It was New Year's Eve and it was a great wrap up to the show. I'm not gonna spoil or anything, but it's it's definitely worth checking out. If you've been waiting to borrow somebody's Netflix password, now's the time to do it. You've got there's forty two episodes, which amounts to, well, I don't know what, one hundred and eighty six hours of eve.
Speaker 1: It's really a lot. Yeah, but it's good.
Speaker 3: It's worth worth checking out.
Speaker 1: And did I read or did you didn't tell me something? Is there going to be a movie about that? Or is that just what? I don't No, no, no.
Speaker 3: They they released the two hour series permi see the series finale that is the this week and it made like twenty million dollars.
Speaker 1: That's better than a lot this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, well, I mean and it was it was sort of that that like Bathom event kind of one time, one or two night thing. But I mean it is cinematic. It's a great to you know, sometimes you go and watch like the two hour finale and you're like, that could have been forty five minutes. Yes, yeah, this one it does take its time. I mean, you have you definitely have a nice dinu ma you know date. It's not like they like wrap up the bad stuff and then roll credits. They it's a little bit return to the King trying to you know, wrap everything up at the end. So but it's worth it if you if you've stayed through all five seasons, you watch these twenty some year old kids graduate from high school or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's the kind of thing something to do. I suppose it's it's a weird thing. I'm wondering at this point, are there too many options? As far as I would.
Speaker 3: Never say that, No, I would never say that. That's that's like, that's like that's like your what your wife's coming home like, sorry, honey, we're just having way too much sex.
Speaker 1: No, there's I mean, there's I've seen a lot of movies, not as many as you because it's been your life. But I uh, and and I've had some sex. I gotta say, Kevin Carr, I have never, not once ever like compared I mean, equality film to even bad sex. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, yeah, you know, what's that whole thing? You know, like you have pizza, pizza, even bad pizzas good.
Speaker 1: Right, right, I mean, how many movies have you like, gone, this is a complete waste of time. I want to get the hell out of this theater or falling asleep or otherwise. I mean I have bolted out of theaters and gone across the hall because I'm like, I'm never getting that part of my life back. Ever, I've never known the mist of sex and gone, I got to get out of here. Maybe once.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, but I mean it's not a perfect comparison, but I mean it is. It is one of those things. But the whole these are too many options. I love the fact that we have options. I love the fact that there's more stuff than because this is the thing you can bolt. You can bail if you start watching something and you're like this is boring, I can go to something else.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: Do you remember the back everyone is complaining about too many options. Remember back in the day we had three three channels lucky. Maybe PBS was showing money.
Speaker 1: But don well, you're right, and and I and if you were like me, and we've discussed this before. Kevin carr By, by the way, is silver Gecko on the sub stack talking movies and so forth with Stirling on the big one. I mean, I thought my only purpose in life as a young tiny sterling was to hold the antenna and stand appropriately so we might be able to get more than the three, so we could get eet and sixteen out of Dayton, so we could get nineteen and then maybe twenty two out of Dayton. You know, in that type of situation and the weather was really good, maybe you get a Columbus station or an Indianapolis station. And that might have been if I took the foil and wrapped it around the top.
Speaker 3: Of the room. Yeah, I mean I grew up in Columbus. We had three stations in PBS and that was it. We didn't get independent TV stations until the mid eighties. And I remember we'd go up and visit my family in Cleveland, they had a couple of them. I thought it was great that channel surfing. You could go seven stations before you got back to the Brady bunch again. So look, I mean, I will take more content over nothing any day. And I love the fact that people promote, oh, Blockbuster's closed. You can't. Oh I'm sorry. You go to Blockbuster and you can't all agree on a movie and then it be out. You know, you can't wait six years to go see my best friend's wedding because the entire wall at Blockbuster's gone. No, I mean, you can just watch whatever you want to. I will never complain about that.
Speaker 1: There you go, don't complain. Options are good. It's good to have choices. I mean, that's the bottom line absolutely. Kevin Carr, thank you for making time. I know that you're convalescing. You're sickly, but tan and rested into the new year. So I wish you and the family car the best, and I look forward to to hanging out and talking more movies and whatever else comes in twenty twenty six. Thank you for doing it.
Speaker 3: Sounds good. We'll talk to you later.
Speaker 1: There you go. It's all for me. Thank you. Russ Jackson Travis Laird has news straightaway Get red Eye Radio. I'll be back Monday, Bearcat Basketball tomorrow, Bengals Sunday. Home of the best Bengals coverage. News Radio seven hundredu W WELLW, Cincinnati