Speaker 1: The News Junkie starts now. It's Tuesday, May nineteenth. I'm twenty twenty six. Watch to get to today from San Diego attack details, Juey Bola takes over, a haunt of virus headlines, and another wild e bike fight goes viral online. Plus your calls, dispatches, emails, text san more, Hey there, see leg what's happening? You're with us as well? You can send us a dispatch over at Thedewsjunkie dot com to join us on the show today. You can also watch the show on YouTube at twitch dot tv slash the News Junkie. Your message is rolling right into the studio in real time, and it is friends a share the show. That's Ryan's when you share the show.
Speaker 2: Take a moment today to tell somebody about the News Junkie radio show, podcast or livestream.
Speaker 1: Hit the like button if you'd don't mind, just do a little something to share the show and to share the show.
Speaker 2: Tuesday. How's everybody doing on a Tuesday?
Speaker 1: Pretty good? You know, not bad? You hanging in there, hanging in there.
Speaker 2: We got a lot to sort through today here on the show. Some you know, different things and surprises along the way. We'll see how it all goes. But let's start in a predictable way. See Lane, you know, let's just put our ears to the ground, our fingers on the pulse, and let's see what's happened to this great, big, wide world of ours.
Speaker 1: You might recognize this man him.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's gonna get it started because I think we can use a little Tuesday Sea. Lane's self described worst day of the week. He hates Tuesdays. He's like Garfield one day later, He's a delayed Garfield as they say. It's one of his nicknames actually, and delayed Garfield does not like Tuesdays. So I'm gonna try to warm him up with our friend. He's been on the show many times. Frankie McDonald just wanted to spread some happiness this morning, so we record himself laughing and he really put a lot into it.
Speaker 1: Let's listen in Get Out. It feels good. I think there's a form of yoga like this. I think there's a form of yoga I know. Yeah, there's two types. There's one where you go up and scream. There's the one that Courtney does where they turn on the heat and it's consane and then there's one where you laugh. You go up and you laugh as loud and as much as you can, and it's like the forced smile. You know you're a fake laugh. It makes you feel better. This man can open his mouth, he can't very wide. There we go. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Frankie McDonald's all right. I want you to all repeat that wherever you are.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I turned my throat a little bit. It's I'm not gonna lie. I'm still a little ut of the weather. But thank you, Frankie McDonald. Love him the best of the best. Follow him online, Frankie mcdee, you know where he is. We we have to do a little bit of an update on Asaga. We've been following Sea Lane, so now's the time to work this in if you don't mind. You know, when I saw this story, I said, you would have thought at this point in time that people might just maybe maybe be learning a lesson on these commencement speeches about mentioning.
Speaker 1: Come on again, no one is learning their lesson.
Speaker 2: There's enough art kids out there, there's enough theater kids out there, there's enough anti AA kids out there.
Speaker 1: They are booing them all everywhere. Anti AA, Yeah, alcoholics, anti AI anti not my people, the anti AI people. And in this case you had Scott Borschetta, who I guess is the CEO of Big Machine Records, which I think used to be Taylor Swift's record label, but I'm not positive on that. Scott Porschet, a CEO of Big Machine Records. He brought it up at a commencement speech. He started getting the booze too, and then he tried to fight back.
Speaker 2: This is the first person at the commencement speech is to get booed on the AI front. That fought back. Let's see how it went for him.
Speaker 3: Then, in the fifty years prior streaming rewrote the economics, social media rewrote the discovery model. AI is rewriting production as we sit here.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know it. Deal with it, with it. I now deal with it. Working in a deal. He sees the booze are coming out.
Speaker 2: Perhaps he heard the show, he heard the other people getting booed for the AI mentioned the commencement speeches, and he said, I'm going to keep this in my speech.
Speaker 1: But what I gotta do is I gotta be ready so I don't deal with it. I know it, deal with it. Like I said, it's a tool.
Speaker 3: Hey, like I said, you can you can hear me now or you can pay me later.
Speaker 1: Huh. I don't know. I don't know if I got that. Like I said, you can hear me now or you can pay me later. Okay, I mean, is there a context of that that we're missing out on? No, you can hear me now or you can pay me later.
Speaker 2: I think he's he's getting ahead of himself with the slogan earring, but you.
Speaker 1: Can pay me later.
Speaker 3: Hey, then do something about it. Okay, it's a tool. Make it work for you, the things you learned.
Speaker 1: He tries to continue. He do something about it. All right, Fine, it is a tool, get used to it. But I mean, now, pay me later. Did I get that wrong? Hear me now or I'm done?
Speaker 2: I don't know why I went that route, but I'm I'm basically a prostitute.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: But what's not true is that you can get away with this at these commencement speeches. Theater kids hate AI, all right, Art students hate AI. There's these anti AI younger people who are all over these colleges and they don't like it, and so you keep bringing it up. It's like all you have to do is not mentioned AI. Now these people just keep stepping in it, for God's sake. There was a college I think I have a clip of this. There was a college Sea Lane where you know how they do the announcements of every single student somebody. It takes forever too and they'll be at like a a stadium I think, sometimes like an arena.
Speaker 1: And the high school graduation was held in an arena.
Speaker 2: Right, so they're like, your school is so big that everybody gets to bring five guests or six guests, and because they're a thousand kids all of a sudden, that means you filled an arena.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's like it's a whole thing, and they could even make money on it and stuff, and they'll go ladies and gentlemen. Christopher Dolores Lane with his bachelor's in fine arts, and you know, Christopher Delores Lane comes up the air. He tried to do something fun for his moment in the in the spotlight. But it's a lot of it's a lot of names, right, It's a lot of names to read out. So one college decided instead of reading off all the names, let's have AI read off all the names.
Speaker 1: That's ridiculous. There something could go wrong there. Of course something could go wrong, and in fact, seven point seven million reviews later, you know it did go wrong. Let's listen it.
Speaker 4: Here A graduates everyone who is standing this what's here's what's happening. We're using a new AI system.
Speaker 1: That's our reader. Oh is this music added afterwards? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if everybody just the ai the haye ai clip movement, the clipper movement for haye ai is ramping it up, or if they had the dramatic music with the AI reading each name and it started malfunctioning and it wasn't reading people's names, and this lady, a human had to go up and go.
Speaker 1: I think we made a mistake.
Speaker 4: So that is that is a lesson learned for us?
Speaker 5: Is it.
Speaker 4: What we were able to do though, as each of you were able to walk the stage and get a picture, which is what I would hope would be the most meaningful meaningful?
Speaker 1: Oh uh, let me tell you something. Normally, I go, hey, this whole thing is just a giant waste of time. We were reading every student's name one by one, we go but also a lot of these kids spent number one four years.
Speaker 2: To get to this moment. Okay, Number one, they spent four years to get to this moment. Number two, doesn't the average college experience cost like fifty sixty eighty thousand dollars or more now.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty six. I mean when when you factor in housing if you are going to college away from your home, a factor in books, which are severely inflated price wise. Surech yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: So now you go, well, we're just gonna everybody's gonna call up here and get a moment for a photo. And is that what Isn't that what really matters here? No? No, what I want to do is I want to hear my name and I want my family to be able to clap and I want to I want that. That's That's what I'm paying all of you this, all of this money for. That's what the whole college experience comes down to. That's just crazy to me, that keep screwing up. The kids don't like the AI stuff all right for now, at least they don't like it. So just remember that because I think there's a couple of these left before it's wrapped up for it now year.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they've changed things up or outed AI or anything. But like when I graduated, my school had this down to a science because there were so many people. We had to we had to keep it moving. Yeah, there was two name readers, right, and they alternated and then you know, if you were next up, you went to the name reader that that waved you over to them because the other person was you whispered your name in their ear, your full name. Oh you did, and then you kept walking. The guy read your.
Speaker 2: Name like you just do the bit that people do on the ET ride at Universal Studios.
Speaker 1: I ask you for your name, and ET says it at the end, but you go like Oliver close up. I don't know if they did that because I think we also had a piece of paper with our name on it. I don't remember. You know, they might have had some ways of trying to keep people from any sort of Thomas foolery, but yeah, no, I mean when we played the clip yesterday of Shaquille O'Neal and is like Shaquille Charles Barkley sucks O'Neill, I was like, I wonder, how did he pulled out all that? That is fantastic?
Speaker 2: All I have a clip and then a question for you to start off the show here today. The clip is from that guy over on Shark Tank mister wonderful, all right, Kevin O'Leary is his name, Kevin O'Leary, originally famous for shark tank stuff, now famous for he's trying to build like an AI data center, and people are against that because those things aren't popular in any neighborhoods, right, And so Kevin O'Leary is talking about gen Z finances to bring it to the younger generation.
Speaker 1: Here's the clip that started cat standard.
Speaker 6: When I see kids that are making seventy grand a year spending twenty eight dollars for lunch, I mean, that's just stupid. Just think about that in the context of that being put into an index and making eight to ten percent a year for the next fifty years.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So this guy says, there's young people going out the workforce. They're making seventy thousand dollars a year and they're spending twenty eight dollars on lunch.
Speaker 1: And this is a you know, a.
Speaker 2: Commentary on young people spending so much of their budgets on food, delivery, door dash, Uber eats all of those things. And one of the top comments six point two million views. Is lunch just costs twenty eight dollars?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Are they not supposed to eat? So this guy probably hate bait. You know what I mean is you try to outrage bait people here. Lunch just cost twenty eight dollars? Now are they not supposed to eat? Says this person sean scene. Lunch does just cost twenty eight dollars. That's what he's that. He's like, Look, lunches cost twenty eight dollars. They not eat with they're spending.
Speaker 1: Twenty eight dollars on lunch because lunch costs twenty eight dollars. Here's what I want to figure out. What did you have for lunch today? Right? And what did it cost? That's what we want to know because we want to sort this out. Will utilize the audience. I want to sort this out. Send us a dispatch. What did you have for lunch? What does it cost?
Speaker 2: And it doesn't matter if it was fast food, it doesn't matter if you brought something from home.
Speaker 1: Do a little itemization of it.
Speaker 2: Just tell us what you got, what you add for lunch, and what it costs, and will see if lunch does cost twenty eight dollars a month. Maybe that's a real issue. We'll find out together.
Speaker 1: I mean, twenty eight dollars seems high for fast food unless you're getting it delivered. That's a lot. I mean what it seems low for table service right now? Well, yeah, if you're going to sit down somewhere. I think they're just talking about grabbing a lunch for the day. And for me, I mean, look the lunch.
Speaker 2: I have same lunch every day, sticky rice, chicken and siracha right every single day. That with a bag of pretzels. My lunch costs. I know how much it costs because I've looked at it before. I get the sticky rice from Costco, I get the chicken from either Costco or Publics, and then obviously si racha. It's about like a dollars seventy five or two dollars is a day for my lunch, and I love it. It's the greatest thing ever. Why I work through this show because later on I don't need for a long time during the day. Finally, when I breakfast, No, it had never never, ever, ever, ever ever, unless I'm really hungover. Ardna says, I spent five dollars or six dollars six dollars on a biggie bag from Wendy's. Well, you're coming in twenty two dollars under budget according to these folks. I want to know what did you have for lunch today and what did it cost so we could see if this sorts out right. Let us know what your dispatches. You can be anonymous if you'd like. Over at the neewsjunkie dot com quick Break when we come back, another fight over e bikes. I got some emails coming in hot. We'll see what you have to say. It's a share of the show Tuesday, and it's all coming up next on the news Junkie.
Speaker 1: Hey, aw, so over these e bikes in different cities continues. You've had people killed.
Speaker 2: You had some poor teenager smashed by I think it was a truck right a week or so ago, and you've had a lot of other instances where people have been hurt. We had the instance in the neighborhood where the local security guy for the neighborhood HOA tried to stop the guy on the kid on the e bike and the kid was like, get your hands off of me. You don't have any authority, And then they arrested the hoa security guard, and he's facing time behind bars.
Speaker 1: He's facing a felony robbery charge because he snatched the phone out of the kid's hand. Yeah, like I thought that was a little crazy, but like this is, it's heating up. And I said, my theory for this not taking sides really on this particular issue, because my point is, if I was young, I would one thousand percent be one of the kids, one of the many kids riding these e bikes, riding the scooters, certainly around my neighborhood. I'd begging my parents. I even did when I was a kid. They were gas powered back when I was a kid, the scooters, but now they're all electric, and I would be begging for one. So I'm not gonna judge the cars. If you had to mix it with oil, probably yeah, like a little two is a two stroke or whatever like that. Yeah, So I would back then be so desperate to try to get anything like that. I know without a doubt, and I can't be hypocritical about this. I know that if I was a kid right now, I'd be dying for one of these e bikes or e scooters. And I think it was fun, and I think it was a level of like independence and freedom to driving around. I'm just being real with you. That's what I would I would think, So I try to keep that in mind. But I also know I see them whizzen through my neighborhood. Everybody rides these things on the sidewalks, and it seems like you're not really supposed to do that. Sometimes there'll be a whole pack of them on the sidewalk and I'm I'm walking on the sidewalk, which is literally in the name, I'm walking here. Hey, I'm walking here, and they're all they'll make me step off the sidewalk for them to cruise buy and their gang of scooters, And you know, I don't want to fight with them and have some kind of problem, but like, these are the things that are boiling under the surface, and they're the things that cause these issues. The latest moment that's going viral is a couple who got into it with these young boys riding e bikes, and now the mother wants felony charges for these people too. We're starting to fill the jails up with people resisting the e bike takeover.
Speaker 2: I think I have the video here. Let's see if we can watch what happened in this interaction.
Speaker 7: Oh, here we go at you near Jupiter, where a mother says an elderly couple stole her twelve year old son's e bike and his friends while they stopped to go fish. Okay, she's urging the Palm Beach County Sheriff's office to pursue tougher charges. Video showing confrontation between a pair of teens and this couple near Jupiter.
Speaker 1: Of all right, the kids have fishing poles. The older couple has both of their e bikes. They're the kinds with the big fat tires on them that kind of look like a a motorcycle or something, right, and those the more you know, the more it's start look less like an e bike and a little more motorcycle. Yeah, but I then you know what the lesson should be here. Hey, if you don't like e bikes or e scooters or whatever, you can't just take people's stuff. No, Like you get calm and dear somebody's e bike because you're mad about them. That's what these old people did. They're they're pissed off. I get it. You're boiling over.
Speaker 2: Like, like I said, is the only thing I probably won't take a firm side on because I can understand what's going on here.
Speaker 1: But like, just because you're an older person does not put you in a position of authority. No, you can't just take people's property. No, you can't. No, it's stealing. And that's what happened to the guy who was the HOA security guy. It's stealing it. It could be like the guy with the with the HOA, the guy the gated community. You could end up being a felony if it's you're robbing the person to their face, not just stealing it. It was parked somewhere. You know, I'm assuming since these kids are in the video probably taking the video that this is a lot was very similar to the situation in the gated community. So I would want one hundred percent if I was the parent, want to pursue these elevated charges. Yeah, and I like, I know what they're gonna say, Sea Lane. They're gonna go, well, they were cursing and they were being rude, and this doesn't matter as you Yeah, you still you can't. You can't do anything about it because you don't like it. Like that, if you want to go after the kids for whatever they did. Fine. If if there's a citation for riding these bikes on a sidewalk when they're supposed to be in the street, hit them with the citation. If there's some sort of fine for the bikes being too fast and needing a license, maybe pursue that, But not without going after these people who take it upon themselves to be you know, neighborhood watch or you know, acting like they're they have some sort of power over you because you don't. They're they're like they're deputizing themselves and giving themselves the authority to commandeer stuff.
Speaker 2: I disagree with this descent, though. Florida Scratcher on YouTube says, I don't get the problem. They're just a bike. They don't go any faster than what you can pedal a bike. Well, I would say on average, they're absolutely going faster than people pedal bikes can. Some people in the world of competitive biking pedal as fast as a lot of these e bikes go.
Speaker 1: Sure, but that I mean that what does that mean? That means that we would just ignore the fact that this is different in some way. Well, yeah, I think it is different. I think it's different than just pedal bikes riding around, and I also think he's wrong. They I mean, at least for the ones that I've been on, like the ones that you can rent downtown. The line bikes, they go one hundred percent, not one hundred percent, like I'm not. You know, they go faster absolutely than you would if you were just on a regular bike pedaling.
Speaker 2: I could peddle for sure, right right, yeah, like one hundred percent on average, these things are going faster, which is what I.
Speaker 1: Said, Like, take your line bike and pedal this at the same speed you take a regular ass bicycle and pedal that, and the line bike is going faster. It's power assisted. Let's see what else happens here. My wife is not insulting.
Speaker 7: Melissa tells me her son and his friend. We're fishing along Crown Quay Lane when Frederick and Deborah Minor came out of their home trespass.
Speaker 1: This is prevate property, that's private property.
Speaker 7: According to investigators, the Miners took the bikes to their driveway.
Speaker 2: I gotta tell everybody everybody in a situation like this, the warning from me to you is you are not the police. Please don't try to act like the police when something is bothering, you call the police, call whatever line you're supposed to call the complain about this one of the greatest tools on planet Earth.
Speaker 1: On planet Earth, we have. We have it in our neighborhood.
Speaker 2: If you have a neighbor who, let's say, like their grass is out of control, or they're violating county ordinances in some way, or they're being too loud after hours, or you know what, riding around too fast on e bikes.
Speaker 1: There's an app where you can report these incidents. When they receive the reports of the incidences, they go over or they send a letter or whatever to the people. Then eventually the situation gets remedied. It's genius, it's great, and nobody knows you're reporting it. All right, Do I use it?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: I don't have this kind of time, but a lot of people do. And I think that that's the way to keep things copa setic in your neighborhood and handle these kind of problems like this. The family here, these old people, the olderes just grabbed the bike, says.
Speaker 7: They were moving them to the garage like they previously did with another team.
Speaker 9: You can't I couldn't believe that older people in their seventies would act that way. All they had to do was say, you know you're trespassing. We don't allow fishing here. This is a private to way community.
Speaker 7: Could you please leave, Deputy say when one of the teams, hold on, I.
Speaker 1: Got the police report here. Mister Abbey has attempted to grab the handlebars of his bicycle and take it back from mister Minter. That's the mister minor. Excuse me, that's gonna be confusing because I think that's the old guy, And while doing so, mister minor slapped his hands away. All parties remained involved in a verbal dispute regarding the return of the bicycles. Both juveniles stated multiple times that they would have left the property if asked by mister and Missus Minor. Additionally, mister and Missus Minor, again the old couple, made multiple statements that the bicycles no longer belonged to the juveniles due to their trespassions. Not how it works, and it can't do that. You go, you know what, these are not yours anymore, like the world is not.
Speaker 2: The world's children are not your kids. And sometimes people forget this. They say this all that they'll be like, it takes a village to raise a child. Kiss my ass. The village isn't raising my child. I am okay sometimes and I think that so many times the people will be like, take the village to raise a child, So we're gonna punish him.
Speaker 1: We're taking their e bikes away. No you're not. You can't do that.
Speaker 2: They further stated they wanted to place the bicycles in their garage, as they had previously done with another juvenile was caught fishing lake.
Speaker 1: These people need lawyers. They need somebody to tell them to shut up because they are saying, uh, we do this all the day, made multiple statements that the bicycles no longer belong to the juveniles. Well, that was dumb. They further stated they wanted to put the stuff in their garage because they've done it before.
Speaker 2: Stupid. Yeah, here's the best part you lent. The two juveniles provided me. This is the officer provided me with video recordings taken on their cell phones after mister and Missus Miner took possession of their e bikes. The videos confirmed the statements made by both mister and Missus Miner about the juveniles. So it's like, hey, they ratted themselves out, and the kids recorded it, and they confirmed that what they said about themselves taking.
Speaker 1: The e bikes was true. They're screwed. You can't do this. You're not allowed to do this.
Speaker 7: Frederick slapped his hand away, and Frederick refused dispatches several requests to return the bikes. Did your son feel thread and or scared at any point?
Speaker 9: He did, because he was not able to call me until after. You know, nobody has a right to put their hand on young children. Nobody has a right to see other people's property.
Speaker 1: Melissa is now pushing for harsher charges. It should have been a felony okay, So they want a felony charge. They want these old people tossed behind bars. There their seventies, Mike too, okay, they want these old people in their seventies. We we let hobos out alle hundred and fifty times when they're slicing the neighborhood apart and cutting people's faces up.
Speaker 2: And showing shoving in front of trains. But we're gonna put the seventy year olds for commandeering the e.
Speaker 1: Bikes in jail, all right. That's where our society's at but that's a whole other thing. They want felony charges. Now. They're not alone in this.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of different things where people are starting to go we need new rules. There's commissioners all over the place that are now starting with hearings about what do we need to do here? We need some sort of legislation to stop this from happening over and over again. The people, mostly older people, are angry about the younger people, mostly younger people, who are driving around on these eastcooters in their names. And this is the result of all of that. So who's in the wrong. Should the old people go to jail? What do you think about all of this? I'd love to hear your take today. And there's two main ways you can join us on the show. Number one, you can go to the Newsjunkie dot com and record a dispatch. I hope you sign up for an account. It takes like two seconds. And then if you see gifted subscriptions the Secret shows you can claim them real quick. But even if you don't, you could send an anonymous dispatch real quick. Takes the matter of seconds to send it over or email tips tips at thenewsjunkie dot com.
Speaker 1: Speak of it.
Speaker 2: A couple of emails real quick, let's see what we got here. This is uh Ben in Daytona, Florida, who says, hey, news junkie, excuse me to retouch on the situation with the mail carrier yesterday. This was the woman who yelled at the mail person, the maleman who walked across her grass and she says to me a favorite, get off my grass, and the mail carrier goes back on the sidewalk and then pulled out her mail and threw it on the grass in front of her and this person. Ben and Daytona says, hey, news junkie to retouch on that situation. You guys didn't take into account that this scenario was probably something that bothered this lady before, and she took it upon herself to be there at a delivery time and ambushed this person with a bad attitude. I'm sure if she would have used the same opportunity to correct their behavior like a rational adult, it would have gone differently on both parts. Longtime listener Ben in Daytona, thank you, Ben for the email.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know if I would call it an ambush. She and her partner husband some other guy in the background that we heard but did not see. It seemed to be some sort of situation where their garage was open and they were doing stuff. Yeah, and maybe they planned on doing stuff at that time that in the hope to confront the mail guy. Maybe not, But like there was like there was like a set of weights out in the driveway. There was a bunch of crap around that didn't seem like it was a setup. To me, it didn't seem like a setup. But I did make the point that I was like, it almost seems like we're missing something. Like the mail carrier's reaction was super agro for just a quick confrontation about him walking on the lawn. So I'm like, I wonder if this is not their first interaction and they've they've had problems before, and this is just the only video we're seeing of this, it.
Speaker 2: Could be all right, We're gonna take quick break. We got more emails to get to here. Momentarily, we had a shooting at San Diego yesterday. I'll explain what happened there and go over the craziness that led to it. When a mother noticed her son was missing, her car was missing, and her guns were stolen. What happened after that's coming up next on the news Junkie. A shooting in San Diego yesterday has garnered a lot of headlines.
Speaker 1: Let's see what's going on. The craziest thing about this I'll work through a couple of things here. The craziest thing about the shooting at this mosque in San Diego yesterday was this piece of information San Diego police said the mother of one of the suspects, because apparently there were two teenagers who were working together to shoot up this mosque and they ended up taking their own lives. And the mother of one of the suspects reported this morning that several of her weapons and her vehicle were missing, and her son was suicidal, and he was with a companion and they were both dressed in camouflage. The mom called the cops and was like, Hey, I don't know how many problems, yeah, Like, how many red flags do you need? The mom's like, hey, my son is missing, he's with his teenage friend, and the vehicle that I have has been stolen by them. My son is suicidal, meaning he like left behind some sort of note or something, or they're both dealing with depression. In general.
Speaker 2: Maybe could it could be, but I think there was a note in this case. They were both dressed in camouflage and the cops go, all right, we're on the move, and the cops had out there and they were actively looking for the teens when the shooting at this Islamic center ended up happening.
Speaker 1: I mean, if she knew the son was suicidal, I think maybe the first thing would be getting rid of your weapons, yeah, or maybe you know, locking them in a safe that there's no way this kid could know the combination too. Perhaps, Yeah. I also, I'll tell you see late it's a little different now. Like when I was young, my father had he had a couple of rifles. He had two rifles in the closet at all times, and he had some rounds in there and some ammunition in there. And I knew that the guns were in there. They were zipped up in these gun cases, and I knew that they were like these nice rifles. But I never once when I was younger, not one time went and grabbed the gun or like put bullets in it or fired it off in the backyard or I never did that. I never touched my dad's gun because I was afraid my dad was gonna beat my ass if I touched his gun. I was afraid if the cops came, they would put me in jail if I touched my dad's gun, Like I was afraid. Imagine this. I was afraid of a little thing called consequences, and I did not touch my parents' weapons. What a concept.
Speaker 2: Of course, I am not what these kids were, which is probably mentally a lunatic who was suicidal and hell bent on just engaging in violence on the way out. But it's kind of crazy that now this happens in in a different way. If you're gonna be a parent, you're gonna have a gun around kids, especially, And I whenever they ask parents where they're like, were you surprised that your child shut up the school? I always hear the parents like, yes, oh my god, it was shocked.
Speaker 1: I was stunned.
Speaker 2: And then you look at the history in the house, You look at the parent interacting with the child, you look at who the child was, you look at all the signs of red flags, and you go the idea that you were surprised this happened. It makes me think you're dumb, because it was obvious to everybody else. So when you look at your kid, I want you to look at your kid. All right, you've got a teenage kid. I want you to look at your kid, look them in the eyes, and think to yourself, is there a chance that my kid is a school shooter?
Speaker 1: I think, whether we want to admit it or not, we all have an answer to that where I think we know. I think we know more than we were willing to give up. Do they have a fascination with school shootings? Do they seem to have a lot of aggression? Are they bad at communicating? Do they have an obsession with weapons? Or they have an obsession with like figures? Do they have an obsession with Columbine?
Speaker 2: Like look at your kid? Just just think is my kid potentially a school shooter. We've had people email the show and they'll be like, hey, I don't want to say this on a dispatch, but one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: I think my kid could do this.
Speaker 2: If if the school called and said my kids shout up, school wouldn't be surprised. So therefore, I make sure my stuff is lockdown, Like they don't know where the keys are to my guns. My gun's safe is so secure.
Speaker 1: I feel like we don't necessarily hear that from as many parents as like, you know, another step of family member away, like y know, I think my nephew, Yeah, maybe you can't look at it as honestly as it's that close to you now if I you know, it's a little too early for me to start trying to make these determinations. It's Jackson school, especially since if I asked Jackson today if he wanted to shoot up a school, he would probably say yes. Uh, because says yes to everything. And it's a game that I like to play now because if I'm trying to like ask him what he did this day? Or did you do this? Yes? Did you do this? Yeah, I'm like, you're just saying yes to everything. Did you and your grandmother do Heroin today? Yeah? Yes? Yeah? You know it's brutal.
Speaker 2: If he started doing Heroin with his grandma, you never know now because he's built into the bit.
Speaker 1: There would be signs. Probably I want to go to an eyewitness at this Islamic center that these two teenagers unfortunately shot up because the mom sent out the warning, but the cops they didn't know where they were going. Here's the eyewitness after the shooting happened.
Speaker 10: We were having lunch, and I heard at least a dozen shots. They sounded like from a semi automatic weapon.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then there was.
Speaker 10: A pause, and then another dozen shots, and again a pause and probably another dozen't so maybe I run thirty shots.
Speaker 1: That's what we heard. That's a lot. Then I call a.
Speaker 10: Nine to one one and.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, you heard at least twenty four shots before you called nine one one. We don't know what that was. It might have been a firework, you know, more and more go off. He's like, at this point, I think it's a shootout, and a shootout it was because there was an armed security guard who was a hero at this Islamic center who started firing back.
Speaker 2: This could have been so much worse. It could have been so much worse. But the armed security guard at the Islamic center started firing back and the kids wholed ass and this guy was the one who was close bond.
Speaker 10: They asked me if I saw a car speeding away from the mosque, which I didn't because I was inside the house.
Speaker 1: Understandably, you didn't want to come outside. At that point, you could tell these were not firecrackers. This was not some college joke. This was a serious situation.
Speaker 10: Yes, definitely sounded like gunshots and we were concerned and putting our heads down inside of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this is one of the witnesses as this happened in San Diego.
Speaker 2: Again, two teenagers. You'll learn all the things over the next couple of days. You'll probably learn they were.
Speaker 1: Obsessed with school shootings.
Speaker 2: You'll probably learn, you know, a million different things about them. There's rumors galore right now, grain assault, all this stuff. I already see this stuff. It's like one of them was trans or whatever. I don't know, nobody knows. They have only released information about one of these kids who is on the wrestling team. And it does look like they had a gas can with them. They found them and they took their own lives, and there was like a gas can that was photographed by them. It looked like I had two SS bolts, you know, like the like the Naziss bolts on a gas can that was nearby them. So that's one thing that we've seen here is the police afterwards, Let's see what they had to say.
Speaker 1: Because of the Islamic centered complication, we are considering this a hate crime until it's not. And at this point, we're gonna work closely with the FBI to make sure that we are matching all the resources that we need this investigation.
Speaker 2: So is it because of the place that they targeted. We're gonna look at this like it's some sort of hate crime because of their targeting of this particular facility until it's not.
Speaker 1: Until it's not.
Speaker 2: There's another thing I can't even play for you. The mayor of San Diego. I guess somebody hates the Mayor of San Diego. I don't know this guy. And the mayor of San Diego is giving a speech about this. Remember this is a mass shooting at like some Islamic center, And as the mayor is giving his speech, he's being heckled by somebody who's saying fu over and over to him in the background.
Speaker 1: And I'm going body time in place, like, if you hate the mayor and you want to heckle the mayor, by all means heckle the mayor. Part of the job is getting heckled by some people when you're there.
Speaker 2: You're somebody in charge like that. But if it's after a shooting, I can't play it because I think it's just gonna. I think we'll just hear the person cursing, so I'll skip that for now. Here's the Islamic Center director. This is the person in charge of this particular facility. Let's see what they had to say about this afternoon.
Speaker 8: My name is Staj Hassan. I'm the Emmam and director of the Islamic Center of San Diego. I know it's time of sorrow, time of sadness. We have never experienced a tragedy like this before, and at this moment, all what I can say is sending our prayers and standing in solidarity with all the families in our community here and also the other mosques and all the places of worship in our beautiful city should always be protected. It is true, oh, extremely outrageous to target a place of worship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, I mean, and I think anybody with the brain agrees. Everybody, every saying individual is saying this is nut. So everybody with a brain knows what's going on here. These kids, to a point, doesn't matter who they are, doesn't matter what's going on. They're almost always radicalized online. They're radicalized on the internet. They find stuff online, they get obsessed over it. That's why as a parent, the best thing you can do, one hundred percent, the best thing you can do is spend time with your kid. Know what they're doing with their time, Know what they're interested in, what are they obsessing over. Don't be like, oh, today was nice. He just stayed in his room all day, didn't bother me at all. Meanwhile, he's reading every manifesto he can get his hands on. You know what I mean? Like this, This is what happens.
Speaker 2: They go online, they get radicalized every time. That is one of the biggest difference differences between the nineteen eighties when I was a very, very very young kid, and they were almost no school shootings, all right, almost no school shootings in the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 1: It was a very rare occurrence. And then now school shootings and mass shootings and these kind of things have become much more commonplace. Why because people get radicalized online on the internet.
Speaker 2: Young kids get radicalized online on the internet. We probably have the same amount of guns we had then. Most stuff in.
Speaker 1: Culture is almost exactly the same. It was harder back in the eighties. You had to radicalize people in person. You did, yes, face to face radicalization legitimately you did.
Speaker 2: You didn't have some place to go to where people could go. Hey, we all agree, we're in this tiny little silo, and we radicalize people more and more and more. You got to know what your kid is doing, especially one. I was a father of eight. Are you serious?
Speaker 1: Jeez? That's insane.
Speaker 2: And if that guy wouldn't have stepped up, he lost his life, I believe right, and this he was one of the people people who died.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that. I think that what.
Speaker 2: Happens here is these kids just end up falling down the rabbit holes one after another, and from there they end up getting radicalized. They end up in these silos, they end up with weirdos and antisocial kids online everywhere else, and it just pumps out people, pumps out people like this. It's unbelievable. Okay, Back in Sean's they had to read to be radicalized.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, I mean the only thing you had back then.
Speaker 2: Was anarchist cookbook or something. You can read something like that to to sort of get your riled up. But it just didn't happen. Now, I feel like, wasn't that just a bunch of different like recipes to make devices for free phone calls and bombs. Yeah one hundred now like but now, boy, can you find it all? And you can get radicalized by fast?
Speaker 1: Let us know what you think.
Speaker 2: Send us a dispatch over at the news Junkie dot com Thetnewsjunkie dot Com. Somebody had a crazy freak death the other day and Courtney always tells me this is gonna happen to me.
Speaker 1: She says, this is gonna happen to you. This is how you're gonna die.
Speaker 2: And like, I disagree with her, obviously, but I want to I want to throw.
Speaker 1: We'll find out. I want to throw this story at you, and you tell me if you do this and if it could be the way that you die too. As we read this story, it's an interesting one. It's coming up next in the News Junkie. See, Like, if you're walking around I either say, you're walking around town and you're spending some time with your lovely wife, you got jackson in tow and all of that stuff. And as you're walking down a street, you see like a man hole, all right, or a sewer grade, either one of those things. Wearing pants, Oh, you see a man hole on the ground, you know, like the kind of New York City ninja turtles live under. If you see one of those, if you see a sewer grade or a manhole and it's right directly in your line of walking, do you go around it, jump over it, or simply walk right over the top of it. Probably walk over the top of it. Okay, Same, that's what I do.
Speaker 2: Cortney thinks I am a legitimate lunatic for doing this. I do it almost every day and it freaks her out every single time.
Speaker 1: Do you jump on it just to mess with her?
Speaker 2: I did it in the last week, okay, where She'll go, don't do it this time.
Speaker 1: You gotta be careful.
Speaker 2: You're gonna fall through and you're gonna get really hurt Sean, And I'll go, oh, okay, I'm sorry, I don't I don't want to upset you like that. And then I'll run full speed and jump on it like you know, like a two year old or something, and she'd be like, it's gonna be the death of you.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be a problem. You're gonna do it. And I'll walk over the man holes at all all of these things, just just like it's no thread at all, because I don't think there's much of a thread from this, but then a story like this pop. So let me see if I can bring this up in front of me here. I knew kid growing up that was like afraid of those you're afraid of a like the manholes and the greats, and more so the sewer great than the man hole. I think that the the the fear of the sewer great is a lot more rational than the fear of a manhole. Wow, because you can see underneath it. Okay, for example, would you be somebody who uh would go to one of those high rises where they let you out on the ledge and kind of look over like the box in the Seer's tower, willis toweringly? No, not not willingly, I don't think so, right, because you can see down to the ground and it gives you that kind of you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, So I think it's a little more rational to be weary of the sewer great. Plus, and you know, I think that this is kind of a kind of a one in one in a thousand, not one of the a million things this happens, But I think it's kind of rare. There is a risk of dropping something in there, and you could, and usually it's something small but important, like your car keys and then ring sure, and then how are you gonna get that out? You can't just pull that thing off the ground. No, they're pretty heavy, I think. But Courtney always freaks out when I walk over the top of these things. I think most people do. I think I'm in the norm here. Maybe I'm not. Let me know, but the story from the Daily News says woman steps into open manhole in Midtown, Manhattan and falls to her death, Which is not going to be good for me, because she's gonna read this, She's gonna hear it on the show and go what the hell? A fifty six year old woman died after she fell into an open manhole in New York City. Con Edison said it wasn't clear why the utilities manhole wasn't covered during this eleven twenty pm incident.
Speaker 2: Maybe somebody was living down there. Remember there's people who live under the streets, lost.
Speaker 1: Into a gang of you know, karate crime fighting turtles. It could be right.
Speaker 2: The woman stepped out of her parked Mercedes Benz before stepping into the manhole. Only a moment later. Oh god, hang on, is there a report on this. Yeah, there is this woman stepped right out of her car to take on the day in the world of the night. In this case, here you go and let's see what they say happened here to this lady.
Speaker 1: Let's go back here here it is tragic.
Speaker 11: In Manhattan a woman died when she got out of her car and fell into an open manhole.
Speaker 1: You heard it right in Midtown? Why was it all?
Speaker 2: Oh God, look look her car Mercedes parked the road. She literally parked right by the manhole and stepped direct She was like getting out of her car right right in like in Mario when you go into the green tubes. Yeah, she stepped. It was literally she open her door and the manhole is immediately outside of her door. So this, like this would be the thing where Cordy goes, what are you doing, Sean? Why do you walk on these things? It's dangerous at least say.
Speaker 1: The fifty six year old victim is for Briarcliffe, Manor in Westchester County. She fell about ten feet after stepping out of her car near East fifty second Street and Fifth Avenue last night. I we stop right here for just a second. Do you think this is a common experience that if you fall in a manhole, it's like you fell in that it would go ten feet down. I mean, I think it really would depend on I think it would differ based on what sized pipes are underneath you. But this seems to be a main thoroughfare in Manhattan. What did it say, Midtown? Yeah, I guess like I was, like in our neighborhood, I wouldn't expect a manhole to go down ten feet. But maybe I wouldn't expect it in New York City either. I don't know here, listener, how.
Speaker 12: Connor Edison is investigating it all?
Speaker 1: Eyewitness news reporter Lindsay tch ma, she just stepped right into it.
Speaker 13: Family members of the victim were here earlier this morning, sharing hugs and tears and really telling us that they want answers after this nightmare of a situation. And now conn Edison is investigating how a woman fell into an open manhole plunging to her death.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, we know how she did it. She just opened the door and it was right there, and she just fell straight down ten feet. What we want to know is why there wasn't a manhole?
Speaker 13: Is the manhole behind me here? It has since been covered since the accident occurred, but you could still see steam rising from several manholes on East fifty second Street here near Fifth Avenue, as well as emergency items left behind from the accident. According to police, it all happened just before eleven twenty pm last night. There was a very large emergency presence. Official say, a fifty six year old woman who was from Briarcliff, Manor driving from Mercedes Benz suv in the area and had just finished parking on fifty second Street. She fell an astonishing ten feet and she was rushed to the hospital after emergency crews were able to extricate her, but she was pronounced dead when she arrived.
Speaker 1: Jesus Man, Like, these are those things you just don't think about unless your courtiney. Apparently I just would. I would think this is never gonna happen, Like this is this is not a significant and serious risk. I literally jump on these things all the time safe when they're covered. Yeah, I hope, So, I hope. So it makes me question it right now. I wonder if for family has a case, it would seem like there's a case then Yeah, it seems like there would be because there's probably some criminal negligence there that has now led to a fatality. I think also, like I wonder how anybody knew she got down there, Like if nobody saw this, Like there's so much happening in New York City that you could have somebody fall down a manhole and not realize that that's true. Yeah, you might just be like, oh, okay, well she's screaming down there. Oh God, like you know, I'm down here, like still barely with it.
Speaker 2: Ten feet is crazy. And they said there was steam coming out, So is it pretty.
Speaker 1: Hot down there? I would imagine yeah, there's always steam coming from the grates and stuff down there, so it's like, you know, it's like a kind of stinky and musty.
Speaker 2: That's weird. I let us know what you think. Send us a dispatch over at the news junkie dot com. We'll get into those in a moment now. Tips of the news Junkie dot com. Somebody emails sub junkies on the e bike topic. For the past month or so, there's been a couple of reviews and new e bikes that are coming in. They have pedals on them and they're governed to only do twenty or something miles an hour, whatever the law is on most states or in most states. But it's also able to be unlocked, so you can unlock these e bikes, and that's what a lot of these kids are doing, this person says. And when you unlock them, they can go this is true. When you unlock them, they could go seventy miles an hour. I don't know about that. That seventy is is kind of crazy. These Chinese manufacturers have caught on to what's going on in basically made a sleeper e bike that kids can unlock.
Speaker 1: He said, what were we gonna say? Sin Oh, I'm talking about the band whole thing. We came upon an open hole downtown one time, remember after Secret shows. Yes we did, Yeah, but literally a hole end of the ground. We could look at it. It wasn't like sewer size it was. I mean, it was definitely you could have fallen into it. It was big enough to fall into. And I don't know if it was ten feet because ten feet seems like a lot, especially where we live. Yeah, but it definitely looked like if we hadn't seen it, I don't remember there being any sort of like cone or warning next to it, but it looked like if we hadn't seen it, it could have messed you up really bad that fall, just hitting the sides or hitting something on the way down. I mean, it would have been not good for whoever could have fallen in there. And people were drunk walking around at that time. I remember it was right outside the pizza place that people go to at the end of the night when they're wasted.
Speaker 2: Exactly all right, a couple of dispatches real quick, let's work those in. Here's Chris talking about man holes.
Speaker 6: Hey junkies, Hey bloomber man, local lawyer and Bavard County.
Speaker 1: There's manholes over here. They're over twenty foot deep. Who really, shaw? I jump them down them all day long. But you know, one guy, just don't put it in quite right, and watch out crash and burn at the bottom of the poop hole. What great day. He says, twenty feet down. For some of those that soundsing a lot, but more people are saying that, here's blonde.
Speaker 11: So man holes can go anywhere from ten to even twenty feet. It just depends on the neck of the of the manhole and how deep the actual man hole is. And hopefully there was some water and then the break or fall. But if not that, that's gotta hurt.
Speaker 2: How much water yeah, I mean yeah, how much could have possibly been in there wouldn't have been enough, and clearly it wasn't.
Speaker 1: She died. I mean, the lady did not survive any of this. Uh here is let's go over to doctor Rob, who says you're not special.
Speaker 14: Good morning, junkies. It seems like the world is getting crazier and crazier. Kids don't think there are any consequences. Now we have old codgers thinking that they don't have consequences. Everybody thinks they're a little more important than what they are.
Speaker 1: We just all need to chill and do.
Speaker 14: A little bit of that sweet sweet cocaine.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's going to fix it, sir, Thank you. I know that you're a doctor. Doesn't seem to make people that chill.
Speaker 2: No, that has the opposite effect sometimes, and if you do enough of it, you might be searching for manholes to go down or people to shoot for that matter. I'm not sure if this is going to fix anything for us, but we appreciate the dispatch none the lesson. We await yours friend over at the Newsjunkie dot com Thenewschunkie dot com. Chris emails tips at the news Junki dot com and says, when I first met my wife, she used to go out of her way to not walk on a manhole cover or on grats. When I finally asked her about it, she told me when she was younger, her dad fell into one just walking over it. Luckily he wasn't hurt too bad, but it scarred her for life, and she won't walk over one even to this day. That didn't even happen to Courtney. She's got no reason. She's like, you are risking life and limb. It's my only way to seem like I'm an outlaw around Courtney, or like to seem like I'm a wild daredevil.
Speaker 1: So I'll go look at this manhole. I'm standing on it like I don't even care about my life right now.
Speaker 2: So I think that's kind of what keeps her excited around here. If you were wonder, she thinks.
Speaker 1: Her last words gould be like, look everything is, oh, come twenty feet down. If I do that, everybody should just leave me down there. That's where I deserve to be in the sewers. Anyways, that's where I deserve to lay rest for the rest of days. Oh, I don't even bring you up your dead body to bury it somewhere, and just no, just leave me down there. Just leave me down there a cat butthole. Ask Tnjai or internal ai how many people are killed annually by falling through manholes? Specific global statistics on desks from falling into manholes are scarce, Tnjai says. In the US, data from nineteen ninety two to nineteen ninety eight indicates an average of sixty one worker fatalities annually due to falls through roof and floor openings, which would include man holes. Yeah, I would think it's pretty rare. I would, But I want to know, do you walk around those? Do you do? You go right over them like I do. This is a freak accident, But does it change anything about the way you think about this? Let us know.
Speaker 2: Sent us a dispatch at the Newsjunkie dot com. When we come back, I'm just gonna say it. We're going back on a plane, all right, I'm just gonna say it. I'll get ahead of it. We're doing that when we come back, and that is coming up next on the News Junkie.
Speaker 1: Let's see what we can get going today, But a big week of secret shows on the way. By the way, for Thursday's Secret Show, I will be strapping a heart monitor on me. We'll have a live heart rate thing on the screen as you're watching the stream.
Speaker 2: You'll be able to see it on demand afterwards. And I'm going to be held to whatever emails come in and whatever responses come in on live chat to try to see if I can elevate my heart rate during the show. We're to do what we can to run me through the paces on the Secret Show this week on Thursday at eight pm.
Speaker 1: That's when it's live. But you could subscribe now or.
Speaker 2: Gift subs over at the neewsjunkie dot com. Look for that if diicon to spread the word. I'm taking it away from you. Not secret shows. I'm taking away from you the airplane story. And somebody says it's not fun when you pointed out beforehand, Sean, Well, for once I realized what I was doing, and I didn't let Sea Land play the back on a Plane song for once.
Speaker 1: I mean you didn't let me play it. I took control of my own destiny.
Speaker 2: As they say, and I said, I'll get out in front of him, I'll cut him off.
Speaker 1: And are future proofing. Yeah, yeah, I'll say, I'm I'm future proofing.
Speaker 4: This stories long as a blame lighter.
Speaker 1: And as you met a guess we're back on a plane.
Speaker 2: We are on a plane. Yeah, we are on a plane again. Unfortunately, maybe fortunately Sea Land censored this audio of a guy. This guy reminded me of the.
Speaker 1: Manifest destiny or uh, now that you've said it wrong, it's messing me up. Democracy Manifest, a democracy manifest and a succulent Chinese meal. This guy reminded me of that dude. Where does he sound like he's from with his accent? See this guy on the plane who's having a freak out of and to play in a moment here they all sound Australian. Yeah, they might be. They might be.
Speaker 2: This guy starts freaking out and the flight attendant goes, you have to go back to your seat. He goes, you have to be common orderly while we're in the air, and the guy goes, where are the air He's like, yeah, we're in the air, and he goes, you have marijuana, you have pot? And the guy goes, no, what not. He's just having a total meltdown.
Speaker 1: He's at the front of the aisle, right by the bathrooms on the plane and Smiths's plane talk with Sean Watson.
Speaker 2: Indeed, plane talk is on and we go to this flight. Let's see what happens with this guy's meltdown.
Speaker 1: All right, they're trying to get a hold of him in the bathrooms. He's bouncing around, he's so drunk. He said, we're gonna we're gonna have to put you down. I don't know if to put you down because that sounds different, but we're gonna have to set you down.
Speaker 2: If you don't start relaxing, you're better. Yeah, behave yourself and you're gonna hear it better in a second.
Speaker 1: Language behavior, so he said.
Speaker 2: He said, I was about to just walk out for a cigarette.
Speaker 1: Walk out where homeboy? I mean, how drunk are you? What do you think you're gonna take a little squad on the wing had had five hundred miles an hour just puffing on a dart on the on the edge of the plane, having more times in Dave Chappelle, I don't know why this thing won't stay lit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you you're on the Pump's gonna step outside and smoke a cigarette. Okay, you know what, Go right ahead, sir, go right on ahead.
Speaker 14: You're gonna you're gonna You're gonna put you in the back.
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 1: You always get rid of them. Well, they can't really get rid of them here we go to start aspiralble. He just he's threatening, the guy. Yeah. He said something like, if you do this again, we have problems. Yeah, we're gonna have problems. Yeah, you you do have a problem, like right now, like there's a problem right and I don't know if you're understanding this. We're in the middle of a problem. I didn't really understand this. This phrase the guy used. He said, you're behaving like a too Bob watch. And it's a classic British or Australian slang slang term to describe something that is cheap, common, or of such poor quality that it is virtually worthless. Like a too too bob would mean like two shilling's okay, and since I was, he's a junk, very small and trivial amount of money. A to Bob watch would be a cheap, mass produced time piece. I don't know how behaving like a tou bob watch. Okay behavior, but sure he's drunk. He's behaving like a tubob watch. There he goes the plant. The planeted up landing in Tahiti. That's where they were going.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, yeah, they're going into I guess they shoveled the guy right out of there at the end of this. You can't do this, Oh god, I do love that you're so drunk that you go, I just going out for a cigarette. That would be the best thing ever if they actually added a little.
Speaker 1: Escape patch on these planes. So then when people are that drunk, they get that drunk on these flights and they go, I just get to go out and have a cigarette. You go, okay, fine, go ahead, go out and have a cigarette out the side of the plane.
Speaker 2: Ain't gonna happen again. Two or three people get zoomed out and zooted out of the plane. It'll stop happening real quick.
Speaker 1: People drinking too much on these flights because they'll go, I don't want to get drunk on this flight. I don't say drunk on the flight. I'll end up falling out at five miles an hour dropping down to Earth. Do you think he intended on lighting the cigarette in the plane bathroom or was that just something he said And because he was just hammered and talking nonsensically, I literally.
Speaker 2: Don't think he knew he was on a plane because the guy said earlier, you have to behave when we're up in the air like this, and he goes, we're up in the air, He's like, wait, how do you But.
Speaker 1: Dude, if he was that drunk and he had a pack of cigarettes in his pocket, sometimes drunk people just like whip one out and forget that they're not supposed to do it. Yeah. There. The one that stands out in my head the most was I was in high school were we were I was in marching band in high school, obviously, and we were at one of the football games and we were kind of lining everything up, getting ready to do the halftime show at the football game. And one of the guys that was in the drum section with me, his dad was there and his dad was hammered. Oh god, yeah, his dad. His dad liked to tip him back, right, And so we're sitting there and so the you know, like a lot of these stadiums at high schools, the football field is surrounded by the track where you would run track like track and field track. And so we're getting everything ready on the track and homeboy's dad just lights up a cigarette and I was like, hey, buddy, you smoking And his reaction was to offer me one. Yeah, buddy, you sorry. You won't want to go? No, I don't want one, man, And I don't think you're supposed to smoke here either. This is a high school. What are you doing?
Speaker 2: They let me do stuff like that around here. They let me get away with it.
Speaker 1: He says. So I will see what you think about this. Let us know.
Speaker 2: Send us a dispatch over at the news Junkie dot com. We must talk about something really quickly. I hope this isn't in the hot shooting and I'm stealing it. But I've seen a lot of discussion. Okay, good, You're gonna need it because if you had this, I've seen a lot of discussion around.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had a friend who just completely changed their look up in and didn't say anything about it? You know what I mean, Like, like all of a sudden, they always dress one way, they always have one sort of style, and then they totally change their look up and they pop around and like, what huh huh, oh no, b No, I've always I always do this.
Speaker 2: I always said, this is what's happening to all of us collectively with John Travolta right now. Because John Travolta keeps popping up in these stories. I don't know if he addresses it here or not.
Speaker 1: And here he is, he keeps popping up in stories, and now he looks like a French artist or something. He's wearing a beret. A beret. Is that a beret? Yeah, he's got a beret on, you know, because he's bald and he doesn't want to just be bald headed for whatever reason, because you know, the movie Grease made him feel like he always needs to look like that or something. But John Travolta now is like this little artiste looking man with a beret, and we have to address this. You can't just switch up your look. I know you've had friends who have done this. All of a sudden, they're coming in. You're like, your whole style has changed. What's going on here? I mean, there's been a couple of hats that I've had that have been outside the norm, and I would continue to wear them if I could just find ones that could fit my gigantic head. Well. But I don't think it was like a complete change. I'm trying to think of any friends would have done this.
Speaker 2: If you wore this and you wantered into the show, everybody'd be like, see, you ain't wearing a beret right now, what the hell is happening.
Speaker 15: The old school directors wore berets, and I said, and the glasses, and I thought, that's what I'm doing. I've been around for over fifty years doing movies.
Speaker 1: But on the difference between the events, Yeah, he's wearing it the con, the movie festival, so he's dressing a little more French to fit in with the other. I think he's leaning into it. I think he's doing it after Con too. I think that now this is his look. John Travolta is rocking the lisson.
Speaker 15: I'm a direct a time, you're an actor, play the part of a director, look like an old schooler. So I looked at pictures twenties, thirties, forties, fifty sixties.
Speaker 1: And the old school directors wore berets, and that's funny, what a weird thing like I'm a director now, So I googled what directors are supposed to look like. And I modeled myself after what I found. But imagine if I looked up everyone, I'm like radio host outfit, and then I wore that every day, and I'm like, what the reason I wore this today, everybody is because I googled a radio host outfit and that's why I have my berea in the glasses.
Speaker 15: And I thought, that's what I'm doing. I'm going to do an homage to being a director. So I'm going to play the part of being a director. And then when I look back, I'll know, Oh, that was Propeller one way night coach, that was can That's when I won the Palm d'Or.
Speaker 1: And I'll have vividness of it, Yeah, vividness. Who doesn't talk this way? When I look back on it, I'll have a vividness. Vividness. You sure will, Buddy. Just rock your dome. You're a good looking guy. Still, you're frigging John Travolta. Just rock it out. You got your whole head shade, you got a beard rocking in. You're cool. I dig it, go for it. Maybe the beret. Maybe the moral of the story is John Travolta could do whatever he wants to wear. The berets. John Travolta ain't no Sean Travolta. That's sure.
Speaker 2: No, I come in here with a beret. The audience numbers drop like a rock.
Speaker 1: People go. I used to listen to him until the beret thing, and that was just a bridge too far. Couldn't do it. Trying to think if I have a friend that's done anything like this, I'm sure people have had that.
Speaker 2: Like let us know on a dispatcher an email, if you've ever had a friend who all of a sudden did a style change and they just show up and they're like, what.
Speaker 1: It's making me nervous because you know when they say, like, if you think you don't have an annoying friend, you're the annoying friend. Like I would tell you doesn't have a Travis, You're the Travis. You know you're not the Travis I would tell you. And I feel like this is the same thing, Like I can't think of a friend who's adopted a goofy look, so I probably it's probably been me when I went through my Fedora phase or that train hat. I used to like, your oh yeah, conductor hats are big risk too. I love. If I could find them that fit me more off, I would wear much more off. And I have one in my closet right now, and every once in a while, I'll goo, is today the day?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Let me tell you what your Your wife is going to say no to that every time she goes. If you're like I want to put on a train I don't do it while she's home. This is your this is your rebellion when your wife lee putting on the train conductor hat. No, it's just like, uh, it would be a day where she's already gone to work and I'm getting dressed. I'm like, all right, what'd you do? What did you do this? We took the whole day off where a train conductor hat the whole time. Ain't nobody gonna tell me what to do. I'm Sele and that's the way I operate. If this has ever happened to you, let's know, send it his batch. Now you got to wear the next bet we do on the show. It's the bet is if Selan loses, he has to wear the train conductor hat for the whole show. Oh my gosh, all right, what a loss. Okay, Seilan loses this bet. He has to have a juicy steak and buttery lobster.
Speaker 2: You know, in fact, if you wear the train conductor hat on the show on Friday, all wear your hat of choice to even it out on my end train conductor hat from you?
Speaker 1: How fast can I get a beret shun with beret? I can't shun Travolta with a bret. If you do the train hat on Friday, I'll do the beret on frow. Wait, we gotta put Josh in something Josh has to do.
Speaker 2: That's for the audience to decide, because train hat and beret Friday is gonna be huge numbers for us.
Speaker 1: Okay, quick break back in a moment. The hot sheet, Yeah, we can can do that forever, future proofing that it's fine. Absolutely, the hot sheet coming up next to the news junkie. This is real. This is actually a real update to a story we've been following, thanks to M D Dixon on Twitter who says, hey, Sean, I know you're keeping up with this story, and he sends over a link and I said, no, I don't know if that's true or not, but it is. Remember the guy who was hitting on the young girl at that Board of education meeting and he's like, oh, you're hot. Yeah, and where do you go to school? He goes, you're hot, where do you go to school? And then she confronted him afterwards. First she does this rant against the local government and they weren't doing things right and they weren't being they weren't serving the public good like they should. And then after she finishes her rant, he says to her this old guy on the board, Keith Irvin. Keith goes, oh, man, you are hot. Where do you go to school? And then she confronts him afterwards. Is later on, like a week or so had passed and the story had gone viral. She goes back to the school board, this is the last we visited them, and she just lit them up. She lit them up. You know, they had people, I guess, all meeting along that were saying this is disgusting, this is creepy, why are you doing this? Etcetera, etcetera. Right, so she goes, what you did is disgusting.
Speaker 2: The idea that you're not losing your position is even more disgusting. All these people are standing around doing nothing about it. He's been charged with assault for it.
Speaker 1: He's now been charged with a salt This young girl, he called her hot. She's a teenage girl. Young teenage girl.
Speaker 2: She was at this meeting, it says Keith Irvin, the Washington County Board of Education member who referred to a student is hot during a meeting at April, has been charged with assault.
Speaker 1: Because he put his hand on her right on her shoulder. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess so, just like unwanted putting the hand on the shoulder. That seems like it's gonna be a tough one to stick. Let's see what the story says. Hang on real quick, before the hot sheet. Let's see what they say about this.
Speaker 16: Board member, Keith Irvan is facing a charge of a salt physical contact. That's according to online records. It's breaking news this afternoon. Thank you for joining us on.
Speaker 1: Brody Wilson, you're welcome. Brady, Hey, you got yourright.
Speaker 16: That charge is allegedly in reference to that video from an April second school board meeting gain Traction online, but Irvin says it lacks context. On May eleventh, the presentment stating that a grand jury has found enough cause to charge herven with a salt physical contact.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 16: Wow, we've reached out to him, but have not yet heard back. In a statement today, Washington County School Superintendent Jerry Boyd said, quote, the board reiterates that mister Irvin's actions do not reflect the standards, policies, or values of the school district. Under Tennessee law, school board members are independently elected officials, so the board lacks the statutory authority to remove a sitting member from office.
Speaker 1: So they would remove them. It sounds like they would remove them from the board too, but they can't. They're not actually able to do it.
Speaker 2: But he has been naged by a grand jury with assault and now he's facing the assault for the incident. The father of the student shared the family's thoughts public on social media, saying Irvin should not be anywhere near students and calling the lack of action by other board members equally disturbing. She addressed them on May seventh. We talked about that like a week or so ago.
Speaker 1: She said it was not only unwelcome, but sexist in derogatory, and he was previously centered in two thousand and nine, after reportedly making a lewde gesture of a sexual nature in front of a class at a high school. What what did he do with that. I didn't I don't remember hearing that part of it. He made a lude gesture, loud juvenile gesture. A student made a comment about this, or a student made a comment about the student's current job, saying he was earning eight dollars an hour. Mister Irvin then made a lude juvenile gesture of a sexual nature. Uh, well, what did he do well with gestures? The gestures that you know. I'll look into this right now. We got to get to it. Let's let's do the hot sheet. It's in new news, but not like real important news. That's again, every parting on the planet book. Top stories from the people on your screens and speakers are on the hot sheet with Sea Lane. That's right. Let's take a look at the top five stories of the nonsense news and some of them are kind of out there today. Some of them are a little out there. But this first one is kind of sad for fans of the Powerpuff Girls and some of the Star Wars fans will know the name Tom Kine who has died Its sixty four. Tom Kane was the voice actor best known for his work on Star Wars. He did some of the animated series where he voiced yoga, and I think some of the later movies did I say yoga, Yoda, Yoda. That sounds like a mistake. I would make it the Star Wars Now, I can't believe you got yoga and you got this C two pp po guy hanging out. He did Yoda in Star Wars, the Clone Wars feature film and TV series. Lent his voice to Professor Utonium in The Powerpuff Girls. If you were a fan, you knew him. He was a devoted husband and father who, alongside with his wife, built a loving family of nine children. Oh my god, one more than three biological and six welcomed through adoption and fostering. He's dead at the age of sixty four. Carson Daly has spelled out some things that he would prefer not happen for his kids in their dating universe. Nothing too crazy. He would just rather there not be any vegans. Oh really, okay, all right. I never heard a parent say that I don't want my child to date a vegan, but I'm all years. During a chat with co host Jenna Bush Hagar or Hagar, he said he has one request for his children when they start dating. The only reservation I would have for my kids would be like a vegan or something like that, to which he got a lot of laughter. He said, food is a really important part of like the fabric of our family. If we didn't have food, I wouldn't talk to my wife about anything. It holds us together. So if one of them brought home a date who was super picky, like I don't eat anything, fish from the sea, cowsdkomu like I've got a tragger bro referring to his smoker.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I mean I guess that's impressive in some circles.
Speaker 1: I said, enough about it. I'm just saying it would suck. If they came to the house on a Sunday, we were doing like a big you know, daily feast and the daily family they make pizzas, and they had some girlfriend or boyfriend that says I can't eat anything. I would be like, he's a loser. Dump him.
Speaker 2: Although I have heard you will brag about your big black rock thing or whatever it is, blackstone, the blackstone. Your blackstone is something that people be like, I got a blackstone.
Speaker 1: I'm so bought you last night. It was a good time. Good glad I didn't stumble over my delivery of that. By the way, why Big Blackrock troublesome spot worse so than Yogi. For sure, this story was funny to me just because the person that is in it is known for playing a character that is so vanilla, I would say. But three years after Bonnie Bartlett said she once had an open marriage with husband, William Daniels, the actress is clarifying what really happened during that lifetime. Now William Daniels, who is ninety nine years old, Oh my god, that name might not sound familiar to you, but you would want one hundred percent know his character, mister feene the principal or teacher from Boy Meets World. Yeah, definitely. Yeah. And back in January twenty twenty three, mister Feenie's wife said that she and him had a bit of an open marriage after they tied the not in nineteen fifty one. Uh didn't work well, but hey, that was what people were doing at the time. She had an affair that lasted a few months with an actor who she called slightly boring, and Daniels had an affair with a producer in New York. They both eventually grew up and they are coming up on their seventy fifth wedding anniversary. In the month of June, the Smashing Pumpkins have announced a new tour and they had a funeral. I always find it weird when they do funerals for things that aren't living, like when they had that funeral for the N Word the end of LACP had a casket and everything. I don't know it was inside it but not opening it. But Sunday evening and all in Hollywood, the Smashing Pumpkins hosted a funeral ceremony for Zero, bidding a dude to the alter ego of frontman Billy Corgan. Now I did not know Zero was an alter ego of his. I thought it was just a song me too, But anyway, they had a casket, they had a eulogy, they had pall bearers and mourners, and then the band came out and played a bunch of their hits, including Zero.
Speaker 2: Well that seems I mean, I don't want them to put that song to bed. Zero's cool.
Speaker 1: Yes, Zero, the single that was released in between nineteen seventy nine and Tonight. Tonight was part of this show that they did to kick off their Rats in a Cage tour. Presale started today and they've got stops in Brooklyn, Jacksonville, and Tampa in October. The tour kicks off September thirtieth in Columbus, Ohio. Just thought it was funny that they would do a funeral for the song and then or the funeral for Zero and then still play Zero. Oh is Rat in a Cage. The Zero song No Rat in a Cage is Bullet with butterfly wings. Oh, I think it's the same album. This tour there going on is like to commemorate an anniversary of I'm Calling in the Infinite Sadness. They're doing two sets in the first set will be all melancholy songs and then the number one story in the Hot sheet today, Kim Kardashian scores a sort of a win. I guess you could say her Skim's clothing line helped convict a cocaine smuggler in England, Jacob jan Conkole will spend the next thirteen and a half years in the Big House. After his sentencing Monday in Chelmsford, Crown Colt in the County of Essex, border patrol officers x ray his trailer truck that he had on a ferry. It had twenty eight pallets of Skim's clothing, the clothing line from Kim Kardashian. There was nothing to farius about the clothing, but inside the rear trailer doors, officers found ninety packages, each containing two point two pounds of cocaine she valued at nine point four million dollars, which he later confessed to agreeing to smuggle in exchange for only fifty three hundred bucks nine point four million dollars worth of coke and he was only getting a measly fifty three hundred dollars. Chalk it up, they say, chalk it up, a legal victory for Kim, one of her only ones that seems like. And on a personal note, I have to end with sort of a sad story because there's a band that's calling it quits, and you know, I just think I've missed an opportunity to never see Hya Babi oh No. Aqua is calling it done, It's over. After almost thirty years in music, Aqua have announced they will not be performing again. The Danis eurodance group, famous for the nineteen ninety seven hit Barbie Girl, shared that they were breaking up, which led a lot of people to go. I didn't know Aqua was still together. After many incredible years, we've decided to close the chapter of Aqua as a live band. It's been such a huge part of our lives and together we've had the chance to experience more than we've ever dreamed of. In two thousand, Barbie's parent company, Mattel sued their label, MCA Records, claiming the song violated Barbie's trademark and sexualized the doll with its suggestive lyrics. The law suit was dismissed in two thousand and two after a court ruled it was protected as a work of parody under the First Amendment. Ri ip aqua. Hey, if you are looking to get out of your renting situation and get into a house, good, make your money work for you, or you're gonna need a mortgage. And when you're shopping around for that mortgage, you're gonna need somebody who knows the mortgage business. You're gonna need that mortgage guy. Don he is a local small business owner. You eat local, you shop local, Why not mortgage local. If you already have a mortgage and your rate has a seven or eight in front of it, you should be checking into a refinance immediately because you're paying too much. Find out all about how to do that at his website That Mortgage guy don dot com. Big second half of the show on the way stand by that's coming up next in the news Junkie Big thanks to A Zapiico for the subs. Gifted subs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Secret Show subscriptions available for you. You can claim them thanks to A Zapiko who gifted those subs over at the newsjoky dot com. If you're a fan, if you're a company, if or whatever, and you want to get a shout out on the show for gifting other users Secret Show subscriptions, It's super easy to do. Hit the gift i com over in the news Junki dot com. On this week's Secret Show. They are Thursdays at eight pm live on the news Junki dot com and then after on Fridays at five pm. They're posted for anybody to watch on demand, high quality. You can watch it on TV apps. All kinds of stuff, right, but the Secret Show. This week, I'm gonna be wearing a live heart monitor facing your toughest emails and chat comments and everything.
Speaker 1: During the show. You'll see live my heart rate while the stream is going on, should be a bit of a wild We'll see how that goes here momentarily. So thank you so much to Azapako for the six gifted subs. Much appreciated that you could do the same over at the News Junkie dot com or to subscribe for this week. I was trying to see what that what that that?
Speaker 2: That thing was that the guy who just got a charged with assault for calling the young girl hot at the city council board meeting, Well, let's see what the the thing was he did in the classroom. He got charged with assault for touching her, not for calling her hot.
Speaker 1: That's true, he is the guy who called her hot, but he put his hands on her too, and she said, you don't want him. You could be in charge with assault for calling somebody hot. No, but Moses, our attorney, Moses Dwait, told us that if you just walk by somebody and put your hand on their shoulder, you're probably not going to get a charge.
Speaker 2: You're probably not gonna camp a charge over that. But if you do it again after they tell you not to, you could. But I think they were just looking for something they could do about this guy. And then with the news that the guy who did that had been with an assault charged by a grand jury. Was that he had a previous incident in two thousand and nine where he did an inappropriate symbol or gesture, some sexually inappropriate gesture, elude, juvenile gesture of a sexual nature in the classroom.
Speaker 1: I can only think of like this or I mean, I don't know what you know? Yeah, the student that was this one?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 1: No, I did this one too, Oh well it was. I was in response to the fact that.
Speaker 2: The fact that a student had just said he was working his butt off on some job where he was only getting eight bucks an hour, and then that led to this juvenile gesture.
Speaker 1: Do you think they'll say it in the report here? Before I get onto the next thing.
Speaker 12: Washington County Board been accused of election appropriate conduct back in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 5: It is our top story. I'm Kelly Getz.
Speaker 12: Received this information through a Freedom of Information Act request. Documents from the Washington County Board of Education suggest urban entered a classroom at David Crockett High School and was observing a discussion between the teacher and about fifteen students. During this a student commented about the student's current job, sharing their hourly wage. According to the documents, Irvin allegedly made a lewd gesture in front of the class and two teachers. After this, the student became upset and was later privately counseled by the teacher. The documents also say Irvan apologized for his actions and did not think he would have upset the students. We will have more from these.
Speaker 2: This guy's just constantly being crude, and then when people get upset, he's like, what what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: He said what he called the young girl hot that he meant she was on the roll or she's on fire. Yeah, you're on fire, It said Tennessee School board member Keith Irvin made a leude juvenile gesture of a sexual nature in front of students. I think that's as much as we're getting out of this, it said. Documents available at I would like to see the document side and I'm on the website. I was he no documents. They're quoting the documents, it says record state. During classroom discussion, a student made a comment and Irvin quote then made a lewd juvenile gesture of a sexual nature unquote. This happened in playing view of the entire class and two teachers, the principal stated. Another teacher claimed Irvin had used profanity in front of students. Well, I mean, this guy is just kind of a loose cannon. I think that's what I'm getting from him. But I'll take your your dispatches on. That is an assault charge right in this situation? Or is that too far? Let us know what you think. Go over to the newsjunkie dot com right now. Okay, one story I wanted to address real quick that I saw making the rounds today. Let me bring this up. This was done in such a weird way. All right. Media outlets are so weird, the like these journalists are so weird, some of them. And here's the headline of the BBC, Like, this is legitimate. This is an actual article that's it's going viral today and it.
Speaker 2: Says selling children to survive Afghan fathers are forced to make impossible choices. I want you to remember this. I'm gonna I got some commentary momentarily here. But it says selling children to survive Afghan fathers fathers in Afghanistan forced to make impossible choices, it says, and it shows some guy in Afghanistan.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, still getting over a bit of a cold here, It says as dawn breaks, hundreds of men gather at a dusty square in Sha Karan, the capital of Gore Province in Afghanistan. They lined the roadside with weary faces, hoping somebody will come along offering any work. It will determine whether their families eat that day. The likelihood of success, however, is low. Like the whole thing is about how the economy in Afghanistan is cratering. Who would have thunk it?
Speaker 2: Who would have thunk that the Taliban two point zero and people that live in the Stone Age, that those people would have an economy that wasn't rock and en rolling right now, I'm sure it's heavily affected by the strait of horror moves shutting down right like there's a ridiculous Of course, of course that's the case. Juma Khan, forty five has found just three days of work in the past six weeks that paid them between two dollars and three dollars and thirteen cents per day. My children went to bed hungry three nights in a row. My wife was crying, so were my children. I begged a neighbor for some money to buy flour. He said, I live in fear that my children will die of hunger. Well, okay, that's terrible, but they continue on the BBC. History is in no way unique. In Afghanistan today is staggering. Three and four people cannot meet their basic needs. According to the United Nations, unemployment is rife, healthcare struggling, and the aid that once provided the basics for millions is dwindled to a fraction of what it once was. The country is now facing record levels of hunger. Four point seven million people, more than a tenth of Afghanistan's population, are.
Speaker 1: One step away from famine. What does that even mean? What is whoa one more step? And I'm right now you are not?
Speaker 15: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean, I look, you're You're in Afghanistan in twenty twenty six. Gore is one of the worst effective provinces. The men are desperate. I got a call saying my children hadn't eaten for two days, said Rob Beanie, one of the men, his voice choking up. I feel like I should kill myself. Then I thought, how will that help my family? So I'm here looking for work instead. Cum Jawah Maud.
Speaker 2: Barely gets out a few words before he starts crying, crying, we're starving. My older children died, so I need to work to feed my family. But I'm old, so nobody wants to give me work. And they go on about them struggling to get work. Then they talk about this guy.
Speaker 1: Abdul Rashid a Zimi takes us into his home and brings out one of his children, seven year old twins, or brings out two of his children, seven year old twins, Rokia and Rohila. He holds them close, eager to explain why he's making unbearable choices. He says, with his daughters out now, as the BBC reporter stands nearby, I'm willing to sell my daughters. He weeps. I'm poor, I'm in debt and I'm helpless.
Speaker 2: I come home from work with parched lips, hungry, thirsty, distressed and confused. My children come to be saying, Bob, I'll give us some bread, but what can I give?
Speaker 1: Where is the work?
Speaker 2: Abu tells us he's willing to sell his girls for marriage or for domestic work. If I sell one daughter, I could feed the rest of my children for at least four years, he says. He hugs his daughter, kissing her as he cries. It breaks my heart, but it's the only way. Let me tell you something, you weird Afghan son of a bitch, That is not the only way you could take everything from me.
Speaker 1: It could be the end of the world. Okay, I could be all the steps into famine. And you are incredibly heartless and a terrible, terrible human being to even suggest that, because of financial reason, you're going to sell your daughter are And they just like kind of pitch this in the BBC story like it's a total normal, that completely normal response to the financial difficulties that are faced by these people in Afghanistan. Nah, dude, this is a culture difference.
Speaker 2: People in the United States of America, as far as I know, don't find it to be a normal thing to go, Hey, my.
Speaker 1: Economic situation sucks. So what I'm gonna have to do here is I'm gonna have to sell one of my twin daughters. As she is right, she's next to me, I'm coddling her, I'm bringing her over, and I'm saying, well, probably have to sell one of my daughters for marriage. How old they say? She was little kids. The twins were seven. I s seven, seven years old, seven years old, barbaric. Somebody says, yes, that's right, which that's right. I believe it is old enough to you know, realize what he's saying, right, yeah, seven year old kid. And this is not normal.
Speaker 2: This is not because, well, man, the horrors of the economic problems of Afghanistan are quite on display.
Speaker 1: Nah dog. This is like the horrors of people living in stone age times where they don't care about their kids, where they want to sell away their daughters, sell them into child marriage. You imagine the disconnect you have from humanity to be looking down at your twin seven year old daughters and say, I'm gonna split them up and sell one of them so I can have some bread or something. Buddy, I would be lining up behind Osama bin Laden to make a couple extra bucks before I sold off a child to God knows who, for God knows what in Afghanistan that is diluted, demented. And the idea that they write stories like this almost normalizing this kind of stuff and going, well, you know that's how tough it is, all right, I'm tough to get bread out there. He says that this is gonna sound like a weird question, but okay, I don't know how else to broach this topic. He says, it's so bad, I'm willing to sell. You know, I've considered selling one of my children and two of my children. Yeah. Are there buyers, Yeah? Yeah, in Afghanistan probably yeah. I think they're like, legitimately, it's a thing. It's like it's a monetary value. Your child is.
Speaker 2: Any real parent, any legitimate parent, would never even consider this. It doesn't matter, It doesn't matter what the circumstances. There are no circumstances that you would face where you would go, Okay, fine, you know, the worst comes to worse.
Speaker 1: Now, I mean the kid. I could see you saying, like, you know, let's say you have you encountering this problem in America. I could see you saying, listen, it's I'm at such dire straits that I can't provide for my family that I think I need to give my children up for adoption. Sure. Yeah, but you're not getting any money for that.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, you're not trying to find the market value of your seven year old daughter to sell her into a marriage with an old man in Afghanistan, Who's going to do perverse things with her for all of her childhood stolen away from her?
Speaker 1: Just unbelievable. MPWs is probably American buyers. No, exclusively done by people in the Afghanistan culture that embraces child brides and allows the selling of human beings, even kids, to other people. Sorry, but in this one, you're absolutely positively wrong.
Speaker 2: This is a culture problem. You have an economic problem on top of it. But so weird, Like the story from the BBC's as selling children to survive afghan father is forced to make impossible choices.
Speaker 1: That's not an impossible choice. It's not a choice. That's not something you should ever think of it. There's nothing Rock Wilder says, teenage Sean sells Dylan no doubt, you know what, would never have done it, never ever, ever for a moment, not even for a split second. Everything in you as a human being tells you that that is wrong if you're a decent human being, right' Like that's it? Crazy drunk Calities says, what do they do?
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't agree at all, but what else they can do? There is no situation, crazy drunk cat lady, none, not one on planet Earth. Where that's your only option and choice's not. It's not.
Speaker 2: There's no situation ever in the history of humanity where it is sell one of your twin seven year old daughters into a forced marriage, a child marriage, or or eat.
Speaker 1: It's not a choice.
Speaker 2: You're making that choice up because there's a marketplace in your country for kids, and that's warped to me, at least, let me know what you thinks. Senday dispatch over at the news junkie dot com. Quick update the Florida Keys responding to the threat yesterday, I told Cuba this would be a bad idea.
Speaker 1: It's right. I don't think it's going to happen.
Speaker 2: But the Florida Keys sheriff released a statement about the potential for Cuba to drone attack the Keys, and they said no changes in light of Cuba related news reports. Monroe County Sheriff Rick Ramsey has not been contacted by any federal or state authorities regarding news reports Sunday possible military action taken by Cuba against US military bases like Guantanamo Bay using drones. The Sheriff's office cannot confirm any news reporting regarding the aforemationed activities and cannot substantiate it where it originated or substantiate where it originated. The sheriff says, I'm monitoring the situation, but I've not been contacted by any government agency, and I don't believe there's any reason to be concerned.
Speaker 1: He's chill so far in the Keys. Doesn't think that the Cubans are going to be the Keys. Yeah, they're cool, they are. They're cool there. Like I said, that would be a real dumb move on Cuba's part.
Speaker 2: But we'll see what happens quick break. When we come back, we'll get geared up for jury duty. Some big updates there, man versus Robot. When we come back. You got Ebola pop in its name up into the news. That's happening. We got in the power hour of the show an amazing array of clips for a grab bag segment that will work in all of that coming up next on the news junk Key.
Speaker 1: I want to share this show Tuesday.
Speaker 2: It is your job and your mission to just tell somebody, anybody about the show.
Speaker 1: I saw somebody the other day. I was like, damn, this is brave.
Speaker 2: Actually we pulled into the grocery store and Courty goes well, look at that. I look over and the person had an old school News Junkie magnet, like low early numbers just sitting there on the back of their car, and I go, wow, that is a brave one to put out.
Speaker 1: There for Game of Magnets. And I got to get some of the old fashion ones. Maybe we'll do another round of the original logo on the magnets. It hasn't been out there in a real long time. I mean the oldest ones. You can see them all over at the News Junkie dot com in the in the Game of Magnet section. I saw a pretty old one in the public's parking lot the other day. Did you like numbered one? I don't know if there was a number or not, but it was original logo for sure. I mean like that.
Speaker 2: We haven't done one of the original logo like we did the tied I one. I'm looking right now in the Game of Magnet section, we did the tied Die one golden.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's pages and pages of these goes way back. Okay, now that's even eight bit.
Speaker 2: We haven't done one with the regular logo melted version of the regular logo.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that was a favorite of a lot of people green stripe of the regular logo. It goes all the way back some of the steeally ones. It hasn't been since like right here, like the three thousand range of magnets because they're all numbered. It hasn't been since the three thousands that there's been an original logo. So this thing must have been old as hell. Did this person out of the back of their car. Yeah, the one that I saw, somebody that I see at the grocery store a lot. And I was like, you're pretty brave putting it on there. And I think she said somebody gifted it to them, but also not the only one they have, like and wouldn't be putting my only one on the car like that less it gets stolen. All right, They got a little collection going suns State John says, I need more magnet Sean on the way, pal, thanks for the twelve gifted subs Sunstage. John. Yeah, my god, did you turn off me right there? I was, yeah, I hit the rock, but we dropped again. I thought we dropped again. I was like, here we go, round and round we go. Everything's working. Don't do that, man, that really makes me panic.
Speaker 2: The the uh somebody and chat assassu Have you sent out some of the magnets for gifted subs? Because if you subscribe to secret shows on the website, it's only this is cheapest two nine twenty nine ninety nine for the whole year.
Speaker 1: Just pay it. You get unlimited access to all these uncensored shows and full access to the website and stuff. Great way to support us, honestly. But if you subscribe, you get to claim a gift on on your way out. There's lots of different options there. And if you gift subs by hitting the gift icon on the neewsjunkie dot com and spreading the word to other users, you get updates when they claim them, you get emails and stuff, which is kind of fun. But also if you gift five subs, you get to claim five things. It could be five random magnets. There's all sorts of stuff. So go check that out over on the website. And somebody said, have you sent those out recently? I haven't. I will. I promise you. I have a stack on my desk in my office to do, and I have a ton of them I'm sure in the order section of the website to fulfill. I'll do all that fulfillment this weekend. So if anybody's a new sub who claimed a gift, or somebody who gifted subs and claimed a bunch of stuff, I will send that all out this weekend. Mama Greaser says, I have an unnumbered one yet, that those are rare. I've got one here in the studio behind me. I've got one on display. What are the unnumbered ones? But I think there was only a couple hundred of them to begin with. Let me go to the very first magnet. Well, there was a thousand, I guess a thousand of the first round of unnumbered and then there was numbered ones all the way to three thousand, still of the same original design. So it was the unnumbered ones was where Courtney accidentally came up with a game of magnets where she didn't want to put it on a car because she was afraid somebody would steal it. Yeah, she said, if I put this in the back of my car, somebody gonna steal it, kind of tape it in the back window. And I go, that's trashy, and I go, wait, hold on, we got something going on here. Game of Magnets is a thing now. People see a news junkie magnet out in the wild and to share the show Tuesday or any other day like that. You go, holy cal let's do this thing. And you you grab it in public. I mean, that's the risk of putting them on your car. That's why most people don't do it. They keep them inside the house. I don't blame you for that. Now, here's the thing I said, I wish you for it. You know when you have a free refrigerator, doors just full of magnets. Well, I mean, but I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't say much now because there's a fridge in the Secret Show studio, Well it has magnets all over.
Speaker 1: Well, you seem to have calmed down on the shaming for that, and I think at some point you can only have so many magnets on your car. I mean I would. It would just be ridiculous if if all the magnets you came across went to your car. Yeah, I mean, I agree, I agree, But just know this, if you see a news junkie magnet, it's out there and play and it's fair game. But here's what I said. I don't know if this is a big risk or not. I don't know if I should be worried about this. Have you ever had a tick on you at any point in your life? See, not that I know of. No, I don't think I have all right.
Speaker 2: I don't believe and I think I would know, right, I don't believe I've ever had a tick on me in my life.
Speaker 1: Like and when you say on you that has bitten you or just land on you, like even on me, I don't think I'm trying to remember I've never had one bite me because I've never had to. You know, they have those like weird ways of removing it where you use like a match stick that was lit and then you blow it how you're supposed to do so. So hold on, you take a lit match, you blow the match out, and then you put the toasty thing the match on your skin and that makes the tick come out. I mean, I'm sure that's not the I think that was like an old wives tale. Is what you're supposed to do. This says to safely remove an attached tick, use clean, fine tipped tweezers to grasp it as close to the skin surface as possible, pull upward a steady, even pressure without twisting or jerking. Clean the bite area and your hands with rubbing alcohol or soap and water. All right, somebody, Hippi wol VICKI says, yes, Selene is right about this, and not on your skin, but on the tick. You put it right in there, Sean. You have to get into nature to get a tick. Why, I know.
Speaker 2: But you know, I go out and I'm outdoors walking. I get ten thousand plus steps every single day. I'm an active guy. Get I get out and about you guys are still trying to do this this thing like I'm a rec loose and his shut in.
Speaker 1: I don't do that, all right, don't. That's not real.
Speaker 2: It's a meme that still out there, but it doesn't add up. But the ticks seem to be an issue. I'm looking here at the USA Today article that has me talking about this. It looks like it's real bad sea land up here in the northeastern United States, Like that's where a lot of the.
Speaker 1: Ticks seem to be sinking in. And then into the Midwest there's a lot of ticks. But it's down into the southeast too. I mean that there's spread across the United States. Then they've said that there's a huge issue or tick bites are surging, sending people to the emergency room like never before, and you've got to be careful about this. Emergency Room visits for tick bites have reached their highest levels for this time of the year since twenty seventeen. Several regions of the United States are now seeing increased tick activity due to warmer temperatures, especially in the Northeast and the Midwest, and estimated four hundred and seventy six thousand people receive treatment for lime disease every year, making it the most prevalent tick born illness in the United States States. Are there other tick born illnesses disease, Yeah, there's the one that the weirdos want everybody to get. Lemon disease. No, no, no, no, no, chicken pox celan look this up, because I'm gonna I'm not gonna get there's a there's a tick born disease that extremists want everybody to get because it makes you allergic to meat. Oh and and the idea is that they want everybody to get infected by this tick because then people will stop eating meat. Red meat out in the mouth syndrome. Yeah, that's it. That's that's a real thing, right, It's A tick induced meat disease, often called the red meat allergy, is a serious allergic condition triggered by the bite of a certain tick, most notably the lone Star tick. Okay, is that in Texas As, I would imagine maybe I don't know, I've heard of I've heard of stories of this ceiling with the alpha gay alpha you said of the I've heard of the alpha gu tic in particular. You get this alpha gu syndrome or whatever from it. And there has been entire communities mostly of like, uh, migrant workers, And I think this happens a lot in God, what's the place where rich people are up in the northeast, mar Martha's Vineyard Skills, Martha's Vineyards one of them.
Speaker 2: I think it might have been Martha's Martha's Vineyard. The story that I saw, and it said so many people had gotten these tick bites and alpha gu in the in Martha's Vineyard, that they were.
Speaker 1: Changing menus damn at these restaurants because that's furious, Yeah, like that they couldn't. They weren't eating meat in that area. When an infected tick bites, it transfers a sugar molecule called alpha gal into the bloodstream. This triggers the immune system to treat the molecule as a threat, resulting in an allergy to mammalian meat and products derived from mammals. People with AGS the alpha gal syndrome can have allergic reactions when they eat or are exposed to beef, pork, lamb, venison, rabbit, milk, cheese, and butter, and even buy products that use animal Uh you know, animal proteins like gelatin, green and medications. Because do you get sick or do you just not you just don't want to eat red meat anymore?
Speaker 17: Uh?
Speaker 1: I think you get sick. Unlike typical food allergies that occur immediately, alpha gl reactions usually begin two to six hours after eating or exposure. You get hives, itching, swelling on the face and throw it, wheezing, stomach pain or diarrhea. Here's the story, This is what I was talking about from the Vineyard Gazette. In Martha's Vineyard Sea Lian chefs consider ways to make menus alpha gal friendly. This is the tick born illness that, like some extremists say they want everybody to get it, so all stop eating red meat. Alpha gau syndrome, the tickboard allergy to mam million food products can turn a night out to dinner into night at the hospital. With rates of condition soaring on Martha's Vineyard, both food service workers and customers are figuring out how to keep restaurant dining safe. On Monday Island, tick and health experts met with chefs and restaurant tours at a town hall to discuss best practices for protecting a community susceptible to alpha gal while preserving an enjoyable restaurant experience. And they said, there's some of these communities that so many people have this tickborn alpha gal syndrome that they're removing meat from the from the items that they have on the menu. There. Unbelievable. That's so miserable because I mean all the stuff that I listed is so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm staying away from this, but yeah, let us know if you've experienced this, or if you know anybody that has. Hit us up with a dispatcher and email the tips at the news junkie dot com quick Break. We're back with Jury Duty that's coming up next on the News Junkie. Vicki on YouTube says that sounded made up well before I get into Jerry Duty.
Speaker 1: Let me wrap up. We were talking about there on the alpha gal thing, where I said there was some people who are like activist extremist types who seem to want to get everybody in the US infected with this tickborn alpha gal disease so that nobody would eat meat anymore, and then we would like the animals would all be saved or something. Here's the post in question, and it's got four point six million views. A peer reviewed paper published last year in the journal Bioethics by two professors at Western Michigan University School of Medicine argues that it is morally obligatory to genetically engineered tics to spread Alpha goal syndrome, a permanent condition that makes you violently allergic to red meat. The paper is called Beneficial blood Sucking. Their argument, if eating meat is morally wrong, that preventing the spread of disease that forces people to stop eating meat is also morally wrong. Scientists should gene edit lone star tics to enhance their ability to carry this alpha gu syndrome and expand their range into urban environments to infect more people. So they're literally saying, and this was in the journal Bioethics, They were literally saying in this that it's morally the right thing to do for scientists to get more people infected by this, like it's a real thing. Alpha gau syndrome is not mild.
Speaker 2: The CDC estimates four hundred fifty thousand Americans are already affected.
Speaker 1: That's more than I thought.
Speaker 2: Actually, four hundred and fifty thousand people already have this, and it says two academics out of medical school published a paper arguing this is a good thing and that it should be accelerating. The tick range is moving the alpha gau range map. Before nineteen sixty six, it was mostly just in the south, and then it.
Speaker 1: Moved throughout the east.
Speaker 2: Like if you put a line down the middle of the country, including Texas, it would be all of the eastern side of the United States of America.
Speaker 1: They just don't have tics on the other side.
Speaker 2: I guess they don't have as many of the tics, the lone star ticks that give people this alpha gal thing. But promoting tickborn ags is morally obligatory in beneficial blood sucking in bioethics.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I can actually find the beneficial blood sucking just so, I don't even really want this in my Google history, but here it is. Hang on the actual report itself benefit beneficial blood sucking, so you don't think I'm crazy?
Speaker 2: Is the actual paper? A bite of the lone star tics spreads alpha gal syndrome or AGS, the condition who's only affected the creation of a severe but non fatal red meat allergy. Public health Department's warn't against lone star tics, and scientists are working to develop an inoculation. We argue that if eating meat is more impermissible, then efforts to prevent the spread of AGS are also morally impermissible. After explaining the symptoms and how this is transmitted, we argue that it is a bio enhancer if it motivates people to stop eating meat. We then defend what we call the convergence argument. If doing this prevents the world from becoming a significantly worst place, it doesn't violate anybody's rights and promotes virtuous action or character.
Speaker 1: It doesn't violate anybody's rights. What about their right to enjoy meat or to not be infected by ticks? I'd like, let's just I get it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I get the argument is like a logical intellectual argument.
Speaker 1: I get it. But that's crazy, man. It's a little insane to think that, Like, no, let's infect everybody with this, because surely there's got to be other side effects or other conditions symptoms of this alpha cale syndrome aside from just you know, having an allergic reaction to eating certain foods, Like, yeah, shouldn't there There should be other stuff as part of it, right, or we don't even know. Maybe we don't know enough about what what this does to you. It can't be just as simple as it just makes it so you're violently ill when you have meat from animals anyhow.
Speaker 2: There, it is not crazy, that's true. That's an actual thing, and it's it's one hundred percent. And this is this is according to the people that publish this study or this whatever that they're saying that it's morally impermissible to eat meat. There's plenty of people who think it's morally permissible. Right, Yeah, that's their argument, right.
Speaker 1: And if he says, Vicky follows up, she said, I just found the exact quote what he's reading and it makes zero sense or they never learned basic grammar. I don't know what you're talking about. I can't tell you anything more. Than I already did.
Speaker 2: I gave you the actual abstract of the report itself from the authors, and I showed you the story.
Speaker 1: If you still don't believe that there's anything to it, then you know that's you. But I mean, I've presented a pretty good case here. I think, all right, here we go, let's get into it. Let's do jury duty. Court is now in sessions.
Speaker 7: Down and pay attention before we call the bailiff over to with your ass.
Speaker 1: You're knowing jury duty with the news Junkie Jury Duty brought to you by the one the only mode of the DeWitt Law Firm. Injured on the go, just call MO eight hundred, CALLMO eight hundred, CALLMO, or go to just CALLMO dot com. After an accident, pick up the phone, get the attorney who's gonna fight for you to get you in contact with that big check you deserve. Eight hundred Call MOO or go to just CALLMO dot com.
Speaker 2: There is a piece of news from Southwest Airlines for for some of you, not many of you, but for some of you. And Southwest Airlines is saying they are officially banning robots from their flights.
Speaker 1: You cannot bring a robot with you. I saw our friend Amy Kaufelt tweeting this out. It's a real story. What kind of robots have people been bringing on flights?
Speaker 2: It says robot passenger at love Field prompts Southwest Airlines to ban bots. All right, and then they show somebody who brought a robot here. It is because this video they got their robot dancing at airport security. The lady's trying to get a fist pump and the robots saying, no, it does it, It doesn't.
Speaker 1: This guy, yeah, look there he goes. Now the robot's gonna board flying. How weird. Where did you get on?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 1: I don't know what to do with that? The robots walking on. He's trying to get it down the aisle. Now he's trying to look at this woman up front looking at the robot like what in God's name? She looks almost I can't tell if she's disgusted or fearful. She say, what's going on here? All right? They put he buys a seat for it so to see for his robot. All right, buddy, all right, there he goes. So this guy brought his robot on the plane. Now Southwest has followed up by saying you cannot bring any human like or animal like robots, regardless of size or purpose. The robot is from the Robot studio in Dallas, Texas. I don't see what the big deal is here. No, he bought a ticket for it. Yeah, I mean that, I'm gonna put this on see it now so you could see it. It's so crazy. And the lady was so put off by that. She was really offended by this guy's robot coming on the Southwest flight. I wouldn't be offended by the robot being on the flight. I would be annoyed if the robot is taking forever to walk down the aisle, Like, all right, dude, just pick up your robot, put it in its chair. I don't want the robot making my experience drag one. I don't mind having the robot there. Yeah, I don't mind animals on flights like that, you know, as long as they're cool. Yeah. I mean, like, if a person's buying a seat, how is it inconveniencing you? Yeah, it's not. It's not inconveniencing me. Although I think if I were flying standby and I didn't get on the plane, and uh, you know, I was like, I'm trying to get home. I'm on the standby list and a robot got on the plane. I would be a little annoyed that the robot got a seat and I didn't, especially when that robot could probably go in the overhead compartment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cja Ford says robots. I prefer them over children on flights like this. Let us know what you think. Said, it's a dispatch. We'll get to that.
Speaker 1: I put it up on see it, take a look. Go take a look at that. Go check it out on the news junkie dot com and to see it now action I quick break back with a pop that's coming up next on the News Junkie. Man.
Speaker 17: I know about this hat idea we talked about. I went on Amazon and I was looking and I go, I know, you know how you can try things on on Amazon Sometimes.
Speaker 1: I was looking at that and I go, I don't know, try it on, Like you give him your picture and it shows you a picture of you and the hat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, we were talking earlier about a potential dumbest bit idea in the world.
Speaker 1: It's so stupid. But just for the live stream, we were talking about how what's his name from Greece. Uh, John Travolta. John Travolta rocked a new look when he went to the Con Film Festival, and your friends have done this at some point. What directors look like? He said, He googled what directors look like. So he was wearing this beret off the side of his head and these little like spectacle glasses. And everybody goes, what's going on with John Travolta, And he's like, I googled what a director should look like, and I dressed like a director. Now I'm at Con and I said, uh, just embrace baby. What are you doing man?
Speaker 2: And we talked about on on Friday on the stream dumbest idea ever, I said, if Ceilane, because Ceilian says he wishes he could pull off a conductor hat, I.
Speaker 1: Think he has to pull it off. I just the the it's not about pulling it off, it's about having one that fits me. Well, yeah it's you, but you said you have at least one, if not my And when his wife is not home said, he sometimes puts the conductor hats on. And I mean, you make this sound like it's some weird kink. I'm not saying it's sexual.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, this is a strange thing, and so Ceilane wants to pull it off. And I said, if you wear a train conductor hat on Friday for the live stream, I will one order a beret and I'll rock a beret.
Speaker 1: And then I looked at what I look and I go, oh, no, I don't know about this. Do you have the picture? I want to see it. I'm not showing you. No, Yeah, come on, no, I just did. It was like augmentedary. Do you want the Power Hour to suck or do you want it to be like a good Power Hour? I would if you want to see it, you maybe see it on Friday if we actually locked this in. But we do have to drag Josh with us. If he's gonna be joining us on Friday, I think he yeah, he has to be in on this too. He's definitely gonna be. You have to have to be in on this. So that's that's floating around out there right now. Let's do the Power Hour. They said it couldn't be done. Then they said, now let me tell you about peepe poopo man, peepee poo poo man, peepe poop Boom Man, Peepee poop poo Man, notorious vagrant known as peepee poopoo Man, the peepe poop poo Man, the poop poop peepee Man, or the peepee poop poo Man, the peepee poopoo Man. He's the peepee poopoo Man, the peepee poo Man. It's time for the Power Hour on the News junky. I think that covers every time you said it.
Speaker 2: Let the record reflect when they ask when that, when the experts ask what was the decline in of Sean Watson's career, just say that.
Speaker 1: It was a peep boopo man. Because I walked out of the studio yesterday after that on the show, and when I walked into the kitchen court and he goes, peepee poopoo Man, Huh, all right, what's what's going on from there? And I said, you know, I don't have an answer for that. Necessarily, I don't. I don't know if I have an answer for that.
Speaker 2: A couple of emails coming in Jeremy emails tips at the Newsjunkie dot com. He's talking about that clip of the woman yelling at the mailman who walked across her lawn. She said, get off my grass, and he said what And they got into it a little bit and he threw her mail on the lawn. He was angry at her and they got into a fight. Jeremy said, I just had this happen to me on my Amazon wrap. A guy came out yelling about his grass and I laughed at him and he lost his mind.
Speaker 1: I just told him to have a nice day. He replied, go f yourself. And Jeremy says, that guy can't get Amazon packages anymore. Oh, do you have that kind of power over somebody who's a jerk when you're delivering stuff? Like you can't get Amazon anymore? Bud? All right?
Speaker 2: You know, well, welcome back to nineteen ninety eight. Have fun, friend, you can't order anything on Amazon.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think, first of all, it would have to be a confrontation with an actual Amazon employee, which is not hard because most of the Amazon packages are delivered by Amazon employees, some of them outsourced to the Postal Service or FedEx ups. Maybe, but I think right now you at least have one backup that is similar enough, that is trying to come after a chunk of Amazon's customer base, as that is crazy. That is Walmart. The Walmart Walmart Plus is kind of making some strides in taking some of that Amazon money. But I mean, if I were to get into it with an Amazon worker in such a way that my house was banned from receiving Amazon packages, I don't know what my wife would do. She would, yeah, she would be severely pissed at me. And I wonder if she wouldn't try to send all her packages to one of our neighbors houses and just get them get them from from them. Abe says, you got you could get forced to pick it up from a locker, so you just have to go to like the Oh so you still can. You still can order Amazon packages, but they always have to put it in the Amazon locker. That's actually kind of smarter on the point of Amazon, like the locker of shame. Like you, we won't deliver it to your house anymore because you're such a jerk. So you have to go to the locker and put it. People put in the little code and there you go. That's a big punishment. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I I happened to look at my bank account yesterday or the day before, and when I looked at it. I said, well, what's this and I wrose, Oh, my Amazon Prime went through. And I didn't realize that Amazon Prime was.
Speaker 1: Up to the level that it is.
Speaker 2: I think it was well over one hundred dollars Amazon Prime yearly costs. I'll figure it out, one hundred and thirty nine. I think the charge that I was hit with that I looked at was one hundred and fifty six dollars, and I thought, boy, that's you know, that's not an insignificant amount of money for your year Prime subscription. I barely even use all the extra stuff they give me. You know, they give you, like music, you listen to Amazon Music as a result of your Prime stuff they give you Amazon Prime, like all the on demand videos that you can watch.
Speaker 1: I barely ever use any of that. I don't really use those services, even though I'm paying for them.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: I pay for the fast shipping and I use a lot of it, and I'm I save a lot of money on Amazon. But one hundred and fifty six dollars per year is no small amount of money.
Speaker 1: I use the I use the music a little bit when it like defaults to Amazon Music when I when I put on my shower, jams when I'm getting ready. But no, Like as far as Amazon Video, It's like I was talking with Jimmy about this last week when I sat on his show, and we're like, listen to Amazon Prime thing. The Prime video comes with Prime. I'm not gonna you know, if we're trying to like axe streaming services to save money, well, I can't ask that one because that would be getting rid of Amazon Prime delivery. And that's what we need. That's the that's the service there. The video streaming is just kind of a an ad on. Yeah, it's like an extra and and more more so than not. My wife and I look at what's offered on Amazon Prime because they have some of the newer movies out that still cause like twenty bucks to rent, and we go, oh, that will be a good thing to download. Yeah. Every once in a while we'll do that and we'll go, oh we could get this movie for free. Here we go. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Rachel on YouTube says, gosh, I'm so glad our household does not rely on Amazon so much waste.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, a lot of people's a lot of money. That's why Bezos got the big ass boat. That's why I turned from a website selling books to Amazon A to Z you know, selling everything under the sun. That's why it's turned into this bohemoth because the truth of the matter is people are inherently lazy. The best, smartest businesses are not built because people have the biggest brains in the world.
Speaker 1: You just have to realize simple human motivations, all right. The simple human motivation is that people are lazy. So the business idea is deliver everything right to their door so they don't have to go shopping and make a whole bunch of money off of it. The basic human knowledge that you pull from this is humans are lazy. So the business idea is their food. Okay, somebody else is selling them books and stuff their food. Let's bring their food directly to them. Billion dollar business humans are lazy. They don't even want to drive themselves. Uber. You know, all of these are billion dollar business ideas that are based on the idea, in the most simplest of ways, that humans are intrinsically lazy individuals. We are, and we spend a bunch of money on all this stuff, most of it we don't need, so you're not wrong about that. But if you are spending it, you might as well get the most out of it. I certainly don't. This is an email coming in from PU, who says to Tips at the news Junkie dot com, Hey, Sean, I wanted to give my two cents on what I see. What I want to see make a comeback. You were talking about Pizza Hut and their buffets making a comeback, and then somebody wanted Blockbuster video to come back, which you said didn't make any sense. Arcades, real arcades, not these Dave and Busters type arcades. Are the arcades we have now, but the ones that have actual arcade games to play, and not games that are RNNG or giving tickets to redeem it counters for rewards RNG. I don't know what that means RNG, it says r N letters RG. I'm gonna miss arcades and just enjoying an hour or so of playing fighting games Time Crisis and the like, says P. I don't know that game. But randomly number generator arcade games represent a unique hybrid of luck grinding and idle gaming. Instead of relying on player skills or reflexes, you simply push a button to pull a lever to trigger a randomized role that awards rare items, effects or character cards. I think maybe they say there's like different roadblocks things that are RNG. There are places that still have the video games in arcade games, though right don't. Some bars have them now some there are some bars that like specialize in arcade games. There was one downtown that I don't think is open anymore. There's one out by the Disney area, the Player one or something like that. There's there's a couple of them, but I think by and large, like I don't know, I think they all have that model where it's kind of like well, instead of instead of like pumping in quarters to it, it's either free or you have like your little card like Dave and Busters and you unlock certain things. I don't I've never heard of something being called RNG like a luck or skill game, but it's not. It's more luck than skill. But I know that like they always say the claw games where it's like, oh, you know, this guy's really good at the claw, well, like no that the Claw game only awards, you know, it only grabs hard enough every like so many plays, and that's configurable by either the arcade game vendor or the owner of the game or the owner of the venue, and like, if you really want to get the best bang for your buck out of those, you got to watch for a while and see how often it rewards, and then just figure out when to get in there and and nap the reward. It's not a skill game, and a lot of people think it is. It's it's it's hybrid, but it's it's more luck than skill. A lot of people know that Time Crisis game. He just randomly mentioned. I had never heard of that. What was it. Do you have a favorite arcade game? Did you ever play me? Yeah? I liked some of the driving ones. For whatever reason, I really liked Crazy Taxi back in the day.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There was two things about Crazy Taxi that made the game super fun. Like it was a little, uh, it was a little like, oh, it's a cool guy Taxi and we're gonna speed everywhere and run over stuff. But the two things that really got me was the sound The soundtrack of Crazy Taxi was all the offspring, and it was like it would randomly like start playing out loud to attract people to the game, like you would be in an arcade or in a bar that had this game, and you'd randomly hear like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know the offspring's really And then when you play Crazy Taxi, it was like it was taking you to real places. So it was like, all right, this person is going to pay you seven dollars and she needs to go to pizza hut right now, and then you pull up to a pizza hut like it used banking off of that stuff, used real places and real logos, and for me, that made the game a little more real and a little more fun. Damn that was that was way ahead of its time, like a band putting an album soundtrack on it before Tony Hawk and all that, and then using product integration with actual companies. That was way ahead of its time.
Speaker 8: Huh.
Speaker 1: And it's like, I think a lot of people have forgotten Crazy Taxi. I don't think I ever played that one. Mine was.
Speaker 2: And before all you come in with why this is a bad choice, I understand. But my favorite arcade game of all time. I'll still play it to this day if I see it anywhere, And I'll tell you the the absolute top character in any video game, because it's in this one, the Simpsons arcade game. Okay, the Simpsons arcade game where you could be Marge Simpson and her weapon was the vacuum and she swing the vacuum around and hit the batties on the street and stuff.
Speaker 1: I kind of remember that that was the best man, and then I know that I would think that some people wouldn't consider this an arcade game. But the thing that I spent the most of my dad's money on was Megatuch. I played the hell out of Mega Touch. Mega Touch was my jam, and it was perfect for my dad. He could sit there at the bar and drink beers. I could pump all of his quarters into Mega Touch and play trivia, Twister or photo Hunt or any of the number of those games. And then maybe if I if I knew he wasn't paying attention, I would like, Oh, I accidentally slipped and hit the adult trivia. Oh. I don't think people realize there's still such a market for this kind of stuff. For instance, I looked up the other day, and maybe I can ask Tnjai about this real quick. I looked up because touch tunes is they basically have a monopoly, don't they. I'm like bar juke boxes, It's like touch tunes, and that's it. There are other similar bar jew boxes, but I think they pale in comparison to Touch Tunes because it's the known name brand and it's super easy when there's an app for it that uh, the same app works out every Touch Tunes. Yeah, just about every bar. Here's what I did. Hold on, let me ask Tnjai here, how much money does Touch Tunes, the jukebox company in bars and stuff? How much money does Touch Tunes make a year? Right? Oh, hold on, I can't hear it.
Speaker 5: It's like a public we traded firm wood. But industry estimates suggest they pull in a couple hundred million a year revenue sharing with bars and restaurants. It's substantial, but not on the billion dollar scale. If you need exact numbers, we'd have to rely on insider reports or an IPO filing. Sometimes.
Speaker 2: I think the story I saw said that they made four hundred and sixty or four hundred million dollars a year.
Speaker 1: I would be curious, though, are we talking profit like net profit? Because they bring in a bunch of money. But like like tj A I said, there's sharing with the bar yep, and then there's also the uh, the licensing for the music that they have to pay. Yep, yeah, no, and that's that's a decent sized chunk, I think.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's another reason I think why it is very attractive for a bar to have a system like touch Tunes rather than your traditional jukebox. Because I had a friend that was going through like music school sounds a little primitive of a term, but he was going going through school for music production, and he was in a class where they were teaching about all the licensing things, and he was telling me that, like, when you pay for a BMI or ASKCAP license for performance at a bar, you're supposed to report every song that gets played. Oh my god, no one does that, right, I'm next to nobody does that unless you have a touch Tunes that just so happens to keep a record of every song that gets played and then you could easily upload that to your licenser and the right people get the right money for what got played in your bar. But like they the person who was like at the time, this person was chatting with me, they were going through the schooling and learning about all the licensing stuff, and I was literally playing guitar at bars and they were like, yeah, for you to play at a bar. The bar is supposed to pay BMI or ask cap fees, and somebody technically never happens to write down everything you play that list something like that list here it is. And I've told you before that I've seen like bars that would have local bands in like there would be more of kind of like a like a diveer live music bar, but it was like they hired local original bands and they would have little signs taped up on the stage. It's like, you cannot play commercial music here. We don't have the license for it. You can only play your own music. Well, thank you Pe for the email. Appreciate dad taking us back through history with some of these other games. The reason I asked that question was because we were at a bar the other night and Courtney wanted to skip the line of people on a touch tunes and it was three dollars and fifty cents for one song to see. Yeah, well all right, quick break back with more NAX. That's coming up NAXT and then you use junk kie. We love you, we appreciate you, We love that you are enjoying what's happening around here. And you can learn more over on the Newsjunkie dot Com Big shout outs. There was a Secret Shows gift in memoriam for our fallen friend Bootsy Moonshine. Somebody under the Bootsy Moonshine account as a tribute to Bootsy Moonshine. What are you talking about? Well, she died not too long ago and somebody has taken over her accounts apparently and is now gifting five Secret Shows subscription I don't know so much. That's amazing, and let me see are these still available? I just want to double check before I drive people to the website. You can become a Secret Show subscriber and I encourage you to. This week's show is going to be absolutely fun. I'm going to have a live heart monitor attached to me and we're gonna go through your worst emails and messages live on the sho Show and put me through the ringer to see if we can hop the numbers up a little bit.
Speaker 2: It should be fun. You can stream live on Thursdays at eight pm. They are released for you to watch on your TV, on your phone, or anywhere you are. If you're a Secret Show subscriber on the Neewsjunkie dot com on Fridays at five pm. So there's between Lovely Lolita who Gifted five and Boots You who Gifted five. There's eight of those available, seven of those available over on the website. Claim them right now. This is why you should start an account. You can send dispatches and all that stuff. And then you guys either subscribe, which I encourage you do to do, to support the show.
Speaker 1: Plus, are gonna love secret shows. It's awesome.
Speaker 2: There's such a huge catalog or gift for other people. So yeah, there's four hundred and sixty three regular shows. Then there's bonus shows. There's I mean they're all an hour, an.
Speaker 1: Hour and a half, maybe even longer, and you're gonna absolutely love them. Not political, all funny based comedy, evergreen shows, so enjoy, including the Paletteman saga. It's based on stuff. It's not that funny. It's just based on funny stuff. That's what you say when you go up on stage. You're like, well, we have a funny base. I'm a funny base comedian. And TSA Gold Plus is being launched. TSA Gold Plus this is for the high end folks who want to fly and let's see what this means. Is from your favorite shows at the airport. No commercials, It's not that.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 2: What TSA Goldplus means for airport security in your next trip?
Speaker 1: After a fraud year of.
Speaker 2: Government shutdowns leading to long security lines, the TSA is launching a new private partnership program called TSA Gold public private partnership program and that's a lot of peace called TSA Gold Plus. As first reported by gate Access, TSA shared an internal memo with employees on May fourteenth, announcing the new program as an innovative extension of this screening partnership program that currently contracts with private companies to operate the security screening of air passengers at twenty airports under TSA Guy Lines. As the next evolution of the screening partnership program, TSA Goldplus is a transformative upgrade to offer airports the opportunity to opt in to a public private screening model tailor to their unique needs. Okay, what do I get if I subscribe?
Speaker 1: What is yeah?
Speaker 2: What does it cost that airports can opt in? Well, this is the airport is not from people. Passengers shouldn see any major changes immediately, but the program's goal with the streamline airport security screenings while also reducing the federal agency's budget airports to implement the public private screenings will also be able to continue during government shutdowns since they don't depend solely on federal budget cycles. Oh so this is an opportunity to like keep tsa flowing even when you have these But how about this, you losers in Washington, how about we stop doing the never ending cycle of government shutdowns and you start making it so you have to approve four year budgets for terms. Okay, every single term. You need to approve a budget. You need to stay on the budget. You do not waste our taxpayer dollars, you losers, and stay on track and stay on target.
Speaker 1: And then you won't have to worry about this. This is like an end around. Man.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I like that, and it doesn't seem to do much for us. It's just like it's for airports, so they can have private screening when the government is out of business as it were. Okay, a couple other things here, some emails coming in that I want to read. Please keep me anonymous and I shall anonymous. Says good afternoon. Yesterday I was texting with a friend in New Hampshire, and my friend updated me. That updated me that she was bit in the neck by a tick and is being treated for her tick bite with doxycycling.
Speaker 1: It's a nightmare, she says.
Speaker 2: The people that get the meat allergy can eat genetically modified pigs that are used for organ transplants. But that's the only meat that won't make them sick. Says anonymous. Wow, that's weird.
Speaker 1: So if you have this weird alpha gu syndrome that comes on from these ticks, you could still eat genetically modified pigs and that's the only kind of meat that won't make you sick. I had not heard that before. It is all very strange but interesting, So thank you for that. A couple of people with dispatches. Let's see what we got here. Here is Swilly talking about Game of Magnets. All right, hey, everybody happy today.
Speaker 18: So the way I play Game of Magnets is every magnet that I've ever gotten gets at least twenty four hours on the back of my truck. That means events, exclusive magnets, that means secret shows magnets, that means first on the street magnets. They have all seen at least twenty four hours of play.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 18: If it's a harder to find design, normally i'll switch it out with something that I might have duplicates of. But unless I have been freshly burgled, there will always be a magnet of some caliber on the back of my truck, sometimes multiples.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Here's Paperman with a dispatch about about pepe poople Man.
Speaker 1: Just for the record, Pepee pooper Man is not funny. Let me tell you, somebody, you are in the minority on that. All right. That was that was a real story, first of all. Second of all, the song and clip did well, all right, people, people seem to enjoy it. Okay, he's not. He's not. There goes the He's going as fast as he can. He gets a bucket in his hand. He's a peep you know, Paperman, I'm with you, all right, it's fildish. It's amateur. What are we doing? When I cut that together the thing from earlier, yeah, I hated it. I was like, this, what am I doing? What is going on? This is what? This is so so stupid? It's funny because it's embarrassing as broadcasters. Yeah, then when we played it, I was like, yeah, the thing all right, we're gonna take a quick break. That's what we're gonna do right now. All right, I'm sorry, but we're gonna do it. We're gonna take a quick break. When we come back, we're going to do the final dispatches these stories that didn't make the cut. And today I learned to wrap everything up for a share the show Tuesday that is coming up next on the News Junkie.
Speaker 2: Don't forget secret shows coming up on Thursday. And we've got the Heart Monitor episode which should be weird and interesting and full of fun. Uh fully unsad answer for those of you who are subscribers. If you're not subscribed, go do that now at the Neewsjunkie dot com. God bless you for doing it. Some emails real quick on the way out. We have just a little bit of time. John says, if people with that tick disease can only eat genetically modified pigs meant for human organs, would it not follow that people with that tick disease could always also eat humans.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know if the logic follows there, sir, but thank you for the thought anyhow, and text that or if it's somebody else.
Speaker 2: At least one hundred and thirty one dead in that ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo. We're keeping an eye on the ebola stuff.
Speaker 1: It looks like ebola has replaced the hantavirus a haunt of virus in headline. That one's kind of fading away already, as expected.
Speaker 2: American doctor test positive for ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Speaker 1: So there you are. That's about where things are. Trump says he's concerned about. It is death rise. They call it the bleeding eye disease. Is that Ebola? Oh, it's got a great song, doesn't it. Let's get the hell out of here. Let's do today. I learned the following information may make you feel smarter, but will not actually increase your IQ. So don't get cocky. How it's done. What we call today Today learned Fred Tuesday, May nineteenth, twenty twenty six. Today learned this show right here. Price. You gotta move your nose, You gotta twinkle your nose a little bit. I dream of Genie bewitche Witch is correct, that's the other one. I mixed those two up all the time. I dream of Genie and Bewitch. But actor David White, who played Darren's boss Larry Tait on Bewitched, raised his son Jonathan after his wife died in childbirth. Jonathan later died in the bombing of Panan flight one oh three over Lockerbie, Scotland. Guy had a pretty tragic wife man. His wife died during childbirth and then his sun died in a terror attack. What a terrible way to start and end things. But hey, you were part of a pretty funny show back in the day. That was a hugely influential program. You got that going for you, which is nice. Yeah, you do have that. And finally today learn this band right here, the world is a vand Smashing Pumpkins. That's right, they're back. Zero's dead. The zero song stays sure, but this song is still around two. I well today learn. During the record of the nineteen ninety three album Siamese Dream, the Smashing Pumpkins drummer Jimmy Chamberlain would go on extended Heroin benders. Sometimes they would lose them for two to three days and just put somebody else in there to play the drums and not even mention what was happening. Thank you so much for hanging out as we do appreciate it. We're back tomorrow, same time, same place. Missed any of the show, get the podcast over at the Newsjunkie dot com. We'll see you tomorrow. Everybody cool. I want to.
Speaker 4: Stack rain
Speaker 1: Raything, raining rain