Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. All right, the Dodgers and Giants are getting set for Game three of this series.
Speaker 2: Otani's pitching all that.
Speaker 1: But I'm joined right now by the newest Dodger employe. He's part of the Dodgers' front office staff now with Andrew Freeman as his special assistant. And that is sixteen year veteran World Series Champion, All Star and great guy Jason Hayward back in the Dodgers family. Great to have you out here, and man, I'm not afraid to talk to you. I'm not afraid to hug you. People might give me a lot of crap about it, but I'm a hugger.
Speaker 3: Oh. First off, David, I appreciate it. Man.
Speaker 4: It's so good to be back here, back around family, back around very familiar faces. And you know, we talk about being a part of the Dodgers organization. It's amazing to just know everyone's working together as the team. As our good friend Chris Archer here was just saying, but now it's good to be back and good to have an opportunity. Much appreciation on behalf of Andrew Gomes of Carving out some space for me. Dave Roberts as well. I told him, I'm curious. I want to learn this side of the game. I like to work towards being in a front office member one day and contributing to a franchise. And here's an opportunity to get the ball rolling. So super grateful some.
Speaker 1: Of the best started from the ground up. As far as this part of the life. What will you be doing. Will you be going to the minor leagues? Will you be just canvas seeing the entire organization.
Speaker 4: I will be going to the minor leagues. I'm talking about visiting every affiliate. The unfortunate thing for me in my mind is that then I'm starting now and the season's already be gone. But I will be doing my best to catch up. I'll be traveling around with the lights of David Finley, Chris Archer, Tyson, Ross rabul lebon Is, of course, communicating with Rock Oball Delhi, some of the outfeel people. Just do whatever I can right now, present day, right like putting sixteen years of experience as an outfielder, as a defender, as a world champion, and all those things. And when I say that, it's you know, the sacrifice and contributing to the player development side, and at the same time going to affiliates, learning the scouting area, learning how to evaluate players and be a support system. You know, while I can right now present.
Speaker 1: Day, did you have this vision the last few years of playing or did you ever have this vision while you were in the thick of it.
Speaker 4: I don't want to say I had the vision because I don't think that's fair to say. I feel like I was heavily invested in doing whatever my role was, especially a latter part of the career.
Speaker 3: Though maybe that's a start.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's coming off the bench, Maybe that's being a guy who's evaluating my teammates and doing my best to get the best out of them, to support them in a sense. But the more I looked at it, coming down to like the last couple of years, it's like, man, don't turn the page on the game yet, you know, like, see what else you can get out of it? And what I know is I enjoy having conversations about baseball. I enjoy having competitive conversations about how can we win, how can we do do the best to put the right people in the right situation. And I know that sounds a lot like front office. It sounds a lot like building culture. Building ors is organization, excuse me, and getting the best out of the players that are a part of the system. So that's that was my curious issue, and I appreciate them.
Speaker 3: Let me have a stab at it.
Speaker 1: Since you're not that far removed from playing, you just retired, I bet you have the appreciation or I should ask you, do you have the appreciation of the blend of the analytics and what makes a player tick and what their character and their makeup is.
Speaker 4: Oh, one percent, one hundred percent. And I think that's a unique thing that I have as well. Starting in twenty ten, seeing the game change rapidly, going into that heavy analytic phase, and now we're starting to see it come out of it a bit. You know, it's still there, It's still a part of the DNA. It's still the terminology and how front offices, how coaching staffs, and how players now are learning to communicate every day. But you understand it, there needs to be the field right to be those conversations of having someone who's had the experience, how do you handle this situation as a rookie, how do you handle this situation facing a closer right, how do you handle a situation like maybe a guy needs a day off, needs a breathe it. And I think that is very very cool that the game is going to more of a collab between the field and analytics.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: Jason Heyward is our guest.
Speaker 1: He's now part of the Dodgers front office as a special assistant. When you started to explore this opportunity with the Dodgers, what was Andrew Friedman's reaction when you made that first phone call.
Speaker 4: The reaction was, well, first, honestly, it was a lot of texting, and I'll give you know, Gohmer and Andrew credit because the season that are started, like I said, and you know, they're on pace for you know, trying to have another championship season and that's that's winning three in a row. So a lot of responsibility on their end. But no, we did a lot of texting back and forth. Andrew said, look like we're going to pull up our sleeves here and see what we can do to find find a space for you to come on and for one, contribute in ways we think you can help today, but also give you that opportunity you're asking for and that's to learn, and that's to see what this side of the game looks like. So again like super grateful for the opportunity and then the rest of the way with Brandon Gomes, you know, doing what he's done. Of course, former player, so he has that perspective, he's been in my shoes and he's been a great sounding board to talk to on like what this may look like, how this feels right, And and again like Tyson Ross, Chris Archer's you know same guys as well that have that have done the same thing on sharing perspective. But you know, our our two front office guys, like our head Honchos so to speak, they've been absolutely instrumental and just you know, creating an opportunity for me this year to do so.
Speaker 1: Since your shoes are on the ground now, not the spikes, you have a different kind of view of how the team is playing and what you've been seeing. Obviously they're not swinging the bats as well as we saw in the first few weeks of the season. What do you see and what do you remember as a player when you're kind of in this group types, how do you get out of it?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I think there are always going to be different ways to get out of things, right out of those slumps.
Speaker 3: David, because every year's a different year. Every year is a new year.
Speaker 4: Get twenty twenty four, Amazing twenty twenty five, amazing photo, finish twenty twenty six. They're gonna be different variables along the way, and you've got to figure out how to get through those. And I think it's just this group being creative. They're going to have fun with it. You see it with some changes in the celebration. And I was listening to you on Dodger Talk one of the other days saying, please get rid of that and the kick, you know, kick the bad vibes out of there, which I completely understand. But I think it's just the fact that they're forward thinking, right, They're realizing, all right, we know things aren't going how we want them to go. Let's get creative on ways to stay in the moment. Let's do our best to have fun. But I think most importantly, to be honest, it's call a spade has paid and they realize things aren't going how they want them to go right now. But every day we see the work they put in out here on the field, We see the work in the clubhouse and in the cage in the weight room. So no doubt in my mind the process will rise over the results and.
Speaker 3: There'll be where they need to be. Just need to get a few people healthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt, and maybe do the Freddie Freeman, not the dance, but maybe simplify things.
Speaker 2: Seaball hit ball one hundred.
Speaker 4: Seaball hit ball helps. But no, the game is hard. The game is hard, and there's something to be said about being that last team standing back to back years, playing the most games, managing pitching staffs and innings and all these things. Like again, there's so many variables of being that team that wins it. The first variable is nobody feels sorry for you at all.
Speaker 3: Right, so every.
Speaker 4: Day teams are gettingenough to play against you, and that's what you want to have happen. But again, you just got to be creative, got to be open minded and realize that it's not always going to be how we got here, how we won. The first one might be a little different in the second one. How we win that third one might look a little different, But you just find a way to do it and trust the people you have in the room.
Speaker 1: Well, the Dodgers trust, Jason Hayward. Great to have you back, and I know it was a breath of fresh air for all your former teammates to see you. Because you built your reputation by living your life as a baseball player and away from the field as a genuine person. And that's why everybody gravitates towards you. That's why I can't stop giving you hugs. Even though Chris Archer wants to shame me for those hugs, I'm not gonna stop.
Speaker 4: No, I appreciate it, bro, I'll take a hug. It's great to see everyone again. I mean that, you know, genuinely. No, I don't take it for granted. It's good to be seeing, good to be around the game, good to have an opportunity to learn. And you know, people say, hey, Jay, like, happy retirement. Thank you very much to everyone who's told me that. But I have a lot of work to do and I'm gonna get get to work on that.
Speaker 3: So I appreciate you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're too young and too swoll to retire.
Speaker 4: Hey, I'm just glad there's more opportunities in baseball, more opportunities around the game because it's a very good games. We're in a good spot right now with it, and you just happy to be a part of it with an organization like LA And you know you heard Art say it.
Speaker 3: You know you talk about him.
Speaker 4: I know you're giving him a heart time and saying, hey, you're now Jay Hayes mentor and I'm like, no, that's right, he very much is. But his first response is though, it's a team and that's how we move here.
Speaker 3: So it's it's again good to be a part of the GOP.
Speaker 1: Love it team player. Jason Hayward, Thanks a lot and congratulations.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. F good to be with you.