Speaker 1: You want to be an American flowy.
Speaker 2: Here on seven hundred WLW schools across America locking up, snatching up kids cell phones like their hot contraband. So you got bell de bell bands, you got the big mad night of pousage. You got confiscation policies. Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana all require school districts to implement policies banning those phones during instructional class time. And each state's so a little bit different than that every but largely most states have this kind of policy. But here's the question. You're ready for the question. Here's the question no one's asking us. So new studies come out, and not just new, but preceding studies have come out. They shows teachers spend somewhere between twenty five and thirty something percent of their day, so between a quarter and a third of their instructional day trying to get kids to listen despite strict cell phone bands. That hasn't changed. So our phones the core problem? Or is it just a scapegoat on that? Christine Miles, she's a psychologist and works with school systems across the country. Founder of the Listening Past. Christine, welcome, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm great.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad we're talking about this, so thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I was thinking about this before a conversation, and you know I was not. I don't know about you, but I was not part of the cell phone generation. Obviously, I had my mobile down and had it for a look for twenty thirty years. But I look back and go, wow, we didn't have this problem when I was a kid. As most parents and grandparents certainly say, things are different. Of course they're supposed to be different. That's how the world this is, That's how America's designed. I guess this would be like what if I in school, if I were allowed to bring my TV with a cable on it and I could watch MTV. What that would do for my ability to learn? It's the same thing, right it really.
Speaker 4: That's that's beautifully said. That's exactly what it is. We don't need We just don't need the cord.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So so, but I so appreciate the question because it is a big it is a big, big problem, and I'm so glad the school's a fine taking a step. I mean, we know better, we do better. I mean, I remember I grew up when smoking was allowed in most places, but then we realized it was harmful for your health, so we took it outside and we made smoking areas and.
Speaker 5: Things like that.
Speaker 4: So setting some limits is similar to that, because I think this is like that the ship sailed before we knew what the repercussions were. And I don't think it's the root cause. It's just that in gasoline to the already raging fire. In terms of the problem of kids struggling to listen, there's also some rebound effects here. So you take the phones out of the schools, and attention spans are still harder to come by because when if they're on their phones and on devices, which the numbers are kind of staggering. You know, these are spending nine hours plus a day outside of school work.
Speaker 5: That's a lot of time.
Speaker 4: So it's not like your brain's going to recover just because you don't have it in school.
Speaker 5: But again we're.
Speaker 4: Still it's still not the root cause in my opinions, that we're told, not taught, and this is a problem since the documents since the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was making that case and this kind of a theme show today on this I had earlier. We're talking about the social media liability trial. It's about to happen that social media, TikTok and snapchat and instant all those platforms are addictive by design and will ruin your kids life. Yeah, if they go uncheck, if they're completely fearal online with no roadblocks up. But that's on the parent. I don't think that's on the company. Also made the case that the social is not the problem. The phone itself is the problem. It is like literal, I mean, it's it's like bringing it's a handheld damn, casino is what it is.
Speaker 6: Right, It's like I've got everything out there. It's not social.
Speaker 2: It's I can message, I can look at videos, i can watch porn, I can check sports, I can bet online, I can I can do all of these things in the palm of my hand. That's really it's not social. It's the phone.
Speaker 4: Well, it's it's all the things that are coming. It's the world coming at kids, not the world, you know, not kids exploring the world and what's finding them. You know. Again, there's could be a lot of debate about algorithms and how we're targeting, just because we could have debates about cigarette companies targeting the brain and making things addictive. So there's there's It's a very complex issue, and I think yes, credical control is important. Schools taking these steps is important when again, when we know better, we do better, and we still need. One of the things taking this time away in schools is that it forces us to do something else. So you know, I've talked with parents, as you know, a family therapist, and one time a parents said to me, what if my child won't eat anything, drink anything but soda? And I said, well, if you take soda away in the house, they'll get thirsty eventually. So you know they'll eventually drink water if water is all there is. So what will happen is kids will start to reactlimate towards socializing with each other more than they will to the phones when the phones aren't in front of them. But it's two attempting. So we need to remove those barriers. But then we also got to give them the skills. I mean, we've been telling we've been telling people to listen kids, starting with kids from like I said, this is a problem documented back to the nineteen fifties where we don't have formal listening education and classrooms, So we tell them expecting the ears to do the work instead of building this as a skill, which is which is what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I saw we should addressing in school. She's a schools that's Christine Mouse, psychologist. Let's back up a little bit. What goes on in the adolescent brain from a developmental psychology perspective, what's actually happening when their kids are always on their phone and you metch you know, nine, ten, twelve or more hours a day.
Speaker 4: Well, so I will say that I can talk about this from the This is not my core expertise on a systems family therapist, but what I do know and what the research is, it's just a it's a dopamine hit. It's a constant dopamine hit.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 4: It is asking like a drug. Now we can talk about that from an adult perspective, and we know how difficult that is. You talked about family, you talked about porn. These are things for adults that they struggle with in terms of the time on the phone. When your brains developing, we're in a whole different realm here, so we were not forming the pathways that need to be formed in early childhood and in adolescence, which is really why it's so dangerous, because we're changing those neural pathways we're getting they're having a hard time self soothing, They're having a hard time you know. This is why we know the mental health issues are spiking, not just the attention issues. This is very well documented now in the literature.
Speaker 2: Okay, but there's also a separation factor here. I guess, for lack of a better word, we're seeing some students are you know, they're experiencing genuine anxiety and panic attacks when they're separated from their phones during these bands. Is that a clinical concern we should take seriously or is that a warning for everyone else?
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's a withdrawal issue. I think this is exactly you know what, Let's go back to something simple. You know, we give kids a pacifier because it helps them sue themselves when it's time, when the parents go, okay, it's time to now weing off of that. There's some fears that when we have to say goodbye to something that was helping us south just because it helps us suit doesn't mean it's good for us. This is not how we want we want kids to regulate is through a device and through having to have constant you know, attention coming at us. So that are constant stimulus. So we're we're not thinking, feeling, or even operating in the present, and that's the danger zone. So this is where but we've got to fill that gap so that they're not as anxious. Again, this is where the socialization is the answer. It's not just take it away. It's the only way to stop the behavior to start a new one. So you take the phones away, now you have to replace it with more socialization. We're skill building around listening, which is why again teachers have been telling kids to listen in the classrooms for you know, decades, and this is a constant battle because it's hard to pay attentions for eight hours a day, especially if you don't have the skill. If I said, you go run a marathon, that you know how to run, but get into the get in to the end of the race. Got you gotta train, You got to build the muscle. And so this is our opportunity is to finally solve this problem, which is what I'm committed to doing, is to is to provide education from elementary classrooms to corporations because it doesn't matter what age you are. You only, you know, a very small percentage, less than two percent have any formal listening trading.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she is Christine Miles.
Speaker 2: She's a psychologist of what it's costing you not to listen to the founder of the listening path or talking about school cell phone and then we have that in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana to a large degree. But the question nobody's asking that I'm bringing in this morning is their studies are coming out and they're showing that teachers still spend a corner or more of their workday, of their instruction day, just trying to get kids to listen. Then that was before and now after cell phone bands. So our cell phones really the problem. They really wreck kids lives. I've also seen studies that pointed out earlier said that, you know, the extreme is if you spend all your time on the phone, it's really really bad for you. I mean, it's horrible for your development, all these things we're talking about. That's absolutely true. But kids who do aren't on social or don't have phones, who don't use them aren't allowed to tend to also suffer some of those same symptoms. Maybe not the extreme we're talking about with over usage, but under usage. There's a sweet spot right in the middle. And when I hear that, I go, Okay, kids if they're exposed a little social media and able to congregate online with friends, because that's how kids socialized today. I was a kid where we'd socialized at the mall or the arcade, and kids today do it digitally. So we have to lean into that. Is this just a lesson that we are woefully behind how we educate kids in America still today because we're teaching them like we did a couple hundred years ago. There's a you know, maybe it's instead of a blackboard, it's a whiteboard or a smartboard, but you're still at rote memorization. It's all these things we've taught kids largely the same way. If phones and social media, Christine, are changing kids' brains, shouldn't we be adopting the school curricula to meet the way kids learn now as opposed to how they've did a couple hundred years ago.
Speaker 4: Well, you're this is such a good point. I mean, we we know that just what we know about the neurodivergency and the way kids learn that. Look, we're you know you and I could go back and say, well, you know, if somebody was dyslessacker had genuinely had a d D or things like that, this wasn't necessarily talked about it or diagnosed to the same degree. We once could argue that, you know, not everybody has add that, but it is real. It is a real thing. So we just know that teachers have a lot of divergent learning needs and so it's really about meeting kids where they are, which is part of why the listening is hard too, because kids needs are different.
Speaker 6: Yes, which is.
Speaker 4: Why this is a this you're the point you're making is I think, which is where my heart and soul is is this is a systemic problem. We're not going to fix this with one thing. Again, we know that that phones that what we're trying to prevent is is keeping them off of engaging with each other, engaging with the future, and engaging with the with the core curriculum. Like you said, take the TV out of the classroom, that's just common sense.
Speaker 5: Right then, we have the issue of what we.
Speaker 4: Do at home and how we limit time. We know that past the screen time, the scrolling, the doom scrolling, that's not super productive and that can get that's very addictive. Well, you know, then there's some socialization. How can you mitigate that with socialization? And then you get to the But you take all that and you cure all that, you still have this learning problem and you still have this listening problem to systemic communication problem. We focus on speaking, telling, knowing, and test scores versus how we're learning. And that's what AI, in my opinion, is going to come in and change is that. You know, we had the calculator. Now we have something that could do the formulators, but that's formulas. But how can you explain it? How can you make sense out of it? How can you show up as a person that knows how to collaborate? And these are all the skills that are at the core of what's going to make somebody successful in the future. Starting we got to start teaching that at a very early age, as early as first grade, so that they're ready. And this is where we have to fix this systemically, so that we're teaching the skills so everybody is a common language.
Speaker 3: Is how you listen so.
Speaker 2: They can understand. So there's another factor here in my mind. If this whole thing and I get it. There's a lot of talk about phones descroing attention spans, and the argument is whether the phone is the cause or just the most convenient delivery system for a culture that's already dopamine driven and overstimulate. I mean, you know, parents are were upset with the cell phone bands because they want to be able to get a hold of their kid instantly at any time during an emergency. But as an excuse to go, I can text you during class because parents are also anxious all the time as well, and it trickles down and we're all anxioused all the time. But I think it's interesting, is that. So the way to beat this whole thing is to simply use AI and use the algorithms for good as opposed to evil, if you want to call social media evil, and that is educators and the system should be creating platforms much like TikTok and snapchat and install that feed that feeds a student a steady diet of what they're interested in to learn that continues to push stuff towards them and challenge them and learn what their likes and dislikes are and try and strengthen those dislikes and make everything better use use the technology for.
Speaker 6: Good instead of social media.
Speaker 2: But the problem with that is now you're going to replace all of these teachers and all these administrators in schools with something that's digital. That means now that threatens the teachers unions, that threatens the administrators and the whole construct of schools in general, because guess what if I can do this with my phone, much like we've seen you know, broadcast TV, go away, ray do everything else, newspaper USU for example. Because of the digital age, that now threatens the livelihood of the education class. And we can't have that in America. And so what winds up happening is this distonect between the kids in the classroom. Am I wrong?
Speaker 4: Well, here's what I think, so you know, I yes. Again, the it's just like we could be saying the same thing about corporate America, the road. The road things can be replaced, well, can't be replaced by the human skills. And that's one of the things that I think teachers are getting away from, and not by the doing, because there's so much pressure to teach to these core ideas and curriculum and the standards, is that they're getting away from the human part of the job, which is really how we develop kids, how we nurture kids. And so this is going to be the heart of what happens in the school and what teachers love to do and why most teachers get into the work. So I think it's not that they'll be replaced to what the emphasis that needs to change. And that's the same thing that I see on the corporate side that if you want to you have to drive that value as a what in your job because some of the redundancies can be replaced. And so the answer isn't more time on screens. The answer is more connection in terms of how we raise the kids and how we teach them and how we help them connect through language and through interaction, so that everything they learn in this kind of this fast paced digital world and what's coming at them, then they can manage their emotions, They can manage the emotions of others, they can develop empathy. They have the things that the AI and the machines don't have. And that's the risk is that we're tipping over into too much of the screen time.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: She is Christine Moles psychologist. Her book is What is Costing You Not to Listen? Founder of the listening path, Christine Miles, thanks of the time.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it, appreciate the conversation. It's really really helpful.
Speaker 2: I think I just made a case here teachers can be replaced. This is not believe me, this is like, this is dangerous territory. If you can come up with an algorithm, and that's easy to do because we've seen this replicated time and time again, that would teach kids on their level, meaning it feeds them a steady diet. The algorithm feeds them a steady die of things they're interested in and expands their knowledge base in learning and kind of sort of tricks them into learning where it becomes fun and engaging on a personal level, just like social media is. And now they're hooked on this, and you put that in the classroom and ban the phone and give them a device that is the alternate to social media and all the stuff coming at you. And that's how kids learn today. They learn on social media, they learn through digital interaction. If you do that in the classroom, kids now become smarter, more engaged, more learned. But what happens to the educational system the computer replaces the teacher can't have that in America, can we because of what's at stake? There's also the is she mentioned important too? The social interaction thing? But is this like the it's like clickbait, right, This is what the educational system doesn't want you to know. This one weird old trick for saving us a lot of money and getting a better student. Yeah, I know, too much thinking on a Friday morning, So we'll switch it up. How about Will Dance from ABC? Got some streaming and movies to cover, and I think the most exciting Hollywood story right now is Tiger Woods. Nothing to do with Hollywood, but good lord head to withdraw from the Masters because his wrists are sore from them cuffs seven hundred ww.
Speaker 7: Now a man who has entertainment reporting coursing through his veins, which makes him a medical entity.
Speaker 1: He is ABC will Dance from New York?
Speaker 2: All right, we'll do a quick check of entertainment stuff this weekend and will Gance from New York on the show this morning on the Big One. And I'm gonna throw a curve ball off the bet because I was just reading I don't really watch the show The Bachelorette, but the fact they canceled this thing is absolutely such a fascinating story to me because the production I had already faced challenges with you know, they knew about this in the background and from twenty twenty three, and all of a sudden, now it comes out and it's the most bizarre social media meets real life thing ever that you know, she's beating the crap out of her husband in front of their kid, which is horrible. But the fact that took three years and they missed this or thought it wouldn't be a big deal is astonishing to me.
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, I have to imagine that the video was unknown to production prior to Like, of course they knew about the charges that were filed against certain all of that stuff, But I can't imagine that anyone had seen that video and went ahead in greenlit her at the bachelorette already, you know, and of course the video we don't know what happened before it really or after.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it really feels wild.
Speaker 7: And my guess is, like, to spare some of the money that they're you know losing and not airing this show, and all the advertisers who had agreed to to you know, pay for ads during the Bachelorette and stuff.
Speaker 1: They'll have to repurpose the footage for something.
Speaker 7: I mean to to it's it's a multimillion dollar lot to just completely not air that that stuff anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you wonder who leaked it at that point too, because I mean literally, like before the show dropped, they had the teasers, they had all ready to go, and then they went, well, never mind, we're canceling. I went from hey, here's the premiere to we're canceling. That's crazy.
Speaker 7: I mean, she they she was invited to the Oscars this year. She was on the Oscars red carpet. That's how certain they were that this thing was going to air.
Speaker 6: Who released Who was it?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 2: You think it was the boyfriend?
Speaker 7: It would have to be someone on that from that, no, I would imagine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, question screwed her and ABC as well. I mean, that's that's amazing that that downward spiral. It probably even because she lost. It's probably even worse than Tiger Woods and his arrest too, right like right before the right before the Masters. Like if you saw that police video of the body camp video, it's not good for Tiger Woods.
Speaker 7: No, this is this is worse though, I would say, because Tiger can can go get some treatment and come back and play again, you know, in six months or something like that. But I can't see how Taylor Frankie Paul could ever come back from this.
Speaker 2: I think also because Tiger Woods, you know, he's been beat up so much. And if you know anything about golfer not even out, you know he's had multiple back surgeries, is in pain, and we know about painkiller addiction and you shouldn't be driving on opiates.
Speaker 6: And I'm assuming that's what he was on.
Speaker 2: But I think there's more empathy for Tiger Woods than there would be for Taylor Frankie Paul.
Speaker 1: I would have to agree with you.
Speaker 7: And I also think if the video, if their kid was not in that video, you could almost come back from it, you know, But the fact that the kid is there, no, too much.
Speaker 2: Not not happening. All right, There's something I've called the drama. It's what platform is that? Or is that a movie? It's a movie? Is that a movie?
Speaker 1: It's a movie on the big screen.
Speaker 2: I can't tell anymore what's on streaming and what's on the theaters. It's like, I have no idea. That's why I ask you that's why I have you on Ganz.
Speaker 7: Exactly, And honestly, if you waited forty eight hours, the answer would probably be different, you know.
Speaker 3: But right now.
Speaker 7: It's it's in the movie theaters. This is Zendiya and Robert Pattinson, and they play a couple who are about to get married, and just a couple of days before the wedding, they're at dinner with their friends. There's four of them, and the question comes up, what is the worst thing You've ever done? And Zendeya's answer to that question is enough to send her fiance into a total spiral.
Speaker 1: And I marrying a monster? Do we go through at the wedding?
Speaker 7: Blah blah blah, And a lot of the trailers for this make it seem like at the rom com. I would call it a very very dark comedy. And while I was watching it, I mean I was stressed out, and you keep on asking yourself what would I do in this situation? It's it's they're very very good in it.
Speaker 1: It's it's unlike any movies I've seen in a while.
Speaker 7: So if you're looking for something a real thought provoking, sort of talkie type.
Speaker 1: What would I do? Movie, definitely we're checking this out.
Speaker 6: Okay, good, good.
Speaker 2: Now she's more of the actions because she was a Spider Man and both Spider Man's and which was it The Greatest Showman she was in which was actually she was.
Speaker 1: In the Greatest Showman.
Speaker 7: And she's in Yeah, she's in like four big movies this year, Dune three, The Odyssey, she'll be in Spider Man again, and then this So she's everywhere.
Speaker 2: Gotcha all right? So that is in theaters right now. And Netflix has something I called something Very Bad is Going Going to Happen.
Speaker 6: I love the title.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So this is funnily enough also about a couple getting ready to get married.
Speaker 1: The woman starts to.
Speaker 7: See these signs and have a real uneasy feeling that maybe she shouldn't go through with it. Like she gets a letter that says, don't marry him. And this is from the Duffer brothers who did Stranger Things, So it's similar in like, there's a real atmosphere about this thing. You realize that it's gonna be spooky, it's gonna be scary right from the jump. All the episodes are streaming now on Netflix, and it is definitely for people who like scary.
Speaker 2: Stuff and Finally something drops on Amazon called a Crime one oh one.
Speaker 6: The cast looks great.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so this is Chris Emsworth playing a jewel thief and he's like a good guy jewel thief. He doesn't hurt anybody, and he recruits halle Berry, who's an insurance broker, to help give him some information.
Speaker 1: To pull off his next heist.
Speaker 7: But then a rival jewel three thief gets thrown into the mix, and that guy is violent, so there's.
Speaker 1: A lot of card chases.
Speaker 7: Mark Ruffalo is the cop who's trying to solve this whole thing the whole time. And yeah, it's a lot of fun for anyone who likes an action packed heist type of movie.
Speaker 2: All right, so crime, you got crime, you got bad things happening, you got drama. That's exactly what you need on Easter weekend.
Speaker 7: Hey, nothing is more dramatic than coming back from the dead.
Speaker 1: So I'm just keeping paid here.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not gonna be any it's bullieve me. This is even much milder than that probably is going to happen around your house with all the relatives over kids high on chocolate. It's all going to unravel. So in real life, this is mild. He's will Gans with two s's at will Gans. He's our guy in New York, got his cover when it comes to streaming and movies and pop culture and everything else.
Speaker 6: Appreciate you body, have a great weekend. We'll talk next Friday.
Speaker 1: All right, sounds good. Take care there you go.
Speaker 2: It's a Scott Sloan show and this is the home of the Red seven hundred WLW. Friday Morning, Sloana here seven hundred WW. Head to the weekend, a much deserved weekend, hopefully for you. Hopefully get some time down Easter Sunday, do what you do on Easter Sunday, Church, maybe brunch, maybe Easter egg hunt, maybe possibly golf, who knows. And the weather's gonna be just kind of like up and down this weekend for sure. Coming up at the ten oh we go do something self serving at ten oh seven, So I'm gonna save that a little self serve from the station. One of our prominent figures here at seven hundred WW is leaving and I want to bid them farewell. It's the exit interview coming up for our Jack Crumley. The exit interview trying to get my goal is in the segment after ten o'clock is he goes from leaving for another opportunity to be getting actually getting fired. If I cant him to do something, canna be fired by the end of the segment. I think they'd be fantastic Austin a little bit later on to at ten thirty five, we'll get into sports. Of course, for the weekend, we've got NCAA tournament action this weekend, we've got the final four, Yukon, Illinois, Arizona, Michigan. Hope your brackets are okay. I'm hanging around like top third of ours. Still, I got Michigan winning and all, so I still got a chance. And of course we'll get it into Nicolodolo.
Speaker 6: You know, I hate.
Speaker 2: You hate to punch down on this because it's not a fair parison at all.
Speaker 6: I get it.
Speaker 2: But I'm watching and I'm sick for the puck. So I'm watching hockey and it's almost playoff time, which is a great time, and I watch a player get hit in the face with a ninety plus mile an hour shot right, I mean right under the visor of the helmet. Hits him in the face and there's blood and everything, and he gets up and skates off on his own and then he's back like a couple shifts later, so maybe about five six minutes later, guy comes back. I've seen a player in the last week get hit into the boards, into the glass. I got about eight stitches across the bottom of his chin, bleeding all over the place. Goes and gets ditch up, comes that back out a couple shifts later, a couple of minutes later, winds up getting hit and cutting that chin all open again, and then goes back, gets ditch up again, and then comes back. So I look at that and go, I know you got a blister on your finger. Guy, I get it. He's a pitcher. He's holding the gradaways, gripping the ball and spinning it and it's Nicko Lodolo. But my god, it's a I don't think I've ever heard of a blister causing more problems for a guy getting paid million of dollars than Nicolo Dolts. And it's not like he doesn't want to be out there, you know, I just I don't understand what it. It seems like it's something that could be fixed. So he had his rehab start yesterday low at Daytona, and they wanted him for sixty to sixty five pitches. After the fortieth pitch he was out. He was scheduled to rejoin the rotation against Miami coming up. And now that's and that's obviously it's not going to happen. You got a hundred green Obviously with bone chips, elbow chips, that's a much more serious thing. But you just wonder about the future of Nicolodolo at this point, and the Reds for that matter, because he's a big part of what it is they're going to do this year. And should we certainly should be concerned about this. It's a it's now a chronic problem. It missed, you know what, twenty three games on the IL last year in August when he needed them down the stretch, and now he are starting it and okay, he's out, all right, it's I think we got this under control. Well, gets out of you know, he's in spring training, goes down. Okay, he's going to come back, and he goes his rehab assignment up. The blister's flared up again. I mean, at some point, what do you do. Can you have like fingertip replacement surgery. I'd put some robotic thing in there, I'm not sure. I have no idea blisters and maybe he's just more prone to blister, which is sad because he's got all the talent in the world. He just can't get past the blister thing. I can see some players are injury prone by the nature of how they played, and of course that was that was Junior when he came back to Cincinnati, damaged goods for playing on that artificial turf in Seattle of those years, and you know he wasn't the same guy, but you know he stills us some incredible things and leading this team, there's no doubt about it. Couldn't get into the Promised Land. They'd built the ballpark for King Griffy Jr. And it didn't play out as expected. But you know, some players are more prone to injury for whatever reason. Is it bad luck or just the way their body's wired, and who knows. But the Lodolo blister thing is just it's got to be Frustrated's sure it's frustrating for him too, because he's pitched his whole life and now you know, all of a sudden, I've got this blister thing going on. I can't solve it. How do you that's why I don't know how many other pitchers suffer from blister problems. She can't be the only one. What about the pitching glove? If you have a glove for the other hand, what about a hand for the pitcher. Well, that's unfair because it gives them a Yeah, I guess it would be unfair. But some quarterbacks in the NFL Ben Roethlisberger comes to mind. Other quarterbacks have worn the glove and be able to throw in spirals with them. Well that's different. Is it really that different? And you don't have to wear one, but there's an option there. Does it give you an unfair advantage? As long as it's smooth leather? And maybe you know, I don't know, you know, throwing a ball. We've all thrown ball before, we've all played baseball, presumably I've never thrown it ninety plus models an hour at several different pitches out in a pitcher. But I don't know if it gives you unfair advantage. Can you actually even feel and throw the ball that you need to with that?
Speaker 6: I don't know. I'm just speculating because I'm the idea guy. I bring the ideas.
Speaker 2: It's up to you to do with what you want to do with them, whether the Reds and Major League Baseball use that idea or not. These these are chems. These are pearls. I'm spitting out here, folks. Pearls, absolute pearls. So Nicolodolo done for the foresettle future. Here we go, and here we go and headed to Miami too, And they've been playing pretty good baseball lately, so we'll see what happens where three and three going to their first away stand of the twenty twenty six campaign. Here's good news for women, but especially good news for men. No, I think this is better for women. Honestly, it's kind of sexist. The FDA has approved a new drug to treat menopause, and it's one of the few non hormonal treatments for symptoms including night sweats, hot flashes, and that just looks awful. You're standing there talking a woman of a certain age, and all of a sudden, she just starts melting in front of you, and I'm like, wait, what what's going on here? It's not it's cold. I'm sweating to death. And it has to do with the nerves and the hypothalamus region of the brain. They become hyperactive. That's your body temperature and everything goes nuts because you're going through the change and hormonal treatments. Typically, as I understand it, you have estrogen and progesterone. I think it's the other the other hormone that's involved here. And now this is non hormonal and it targets the receptors. Now we're going after the receptors. Receptors are good to target, and so in the clinicals. Three out of four women experience reduced symptoms and about fifty percent using a placebo. I mean, maybe not much better than a sugar tablet, but it's a one a day pill. It's out now thirty days. Cost six hundred and twenty five dollars. But hey, you know what trump our X good RX. Maybe your insurance maybe you can get that that price down a little bit. But that seems to be a If you can get that down and eliminate the hot flashes and the you know, the the other hormonal symptoms out there which are not pleasant for the woman equally not as pleasant, equally unpleasant for the spouse, that would be a great thing. That would be a significant metal metal achievement, honestly, from a medicinal stample where we have all these drugs coming out at any one time that you if you watch streaming or TV shows or whatever it is, every other ad is for some sort of drug. And we know that here at seven hundred WW because largely involves male genitalia. Those commercials, it's come at you all the time. And now there's something for you ladies. That's that's actually, that's a really really good one that may save a lot of marriages. That may save a lot of marriages, speaking of medical advances, this is really interesting. Nike is working on a I don't even know called a shoe or not. This is for everyday people like me, and this isn't for Olympic athletes and everything else pretty much anyone, anyone, me and you. It is a foot it's a powered footwear system, so it has it's like an exoskeleton, basically lightweight robotics to boost your running and walking speed. So it's like an e bike for your feet. And it looks like an ankle brace and has a motor or drive belt and a rechargeable battery in there.
Speaker 6: It's pretty sleekly.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it looks pretty good because it's Nike, but it's not designed for competitive earlead athletes. It's for me and you. So if you run at a ten to twelve or fourteen minute mile pace, this will help you and you can go farther and faster. It's right now. They have If you bicycle, you have bike. They have battery operated bike. Basically, the pedal assists is what it is. An e bike and it helps you, especially as you're older. You don't want to stay active, but going up a hill maybe challenging, and it, you know, it can kick in and help you do that. Some say it's cheating, but you know, hey, it gets you out there doing what you you know, getting some exercise. You're still exercising, you're still pedaling, So I think there's something to it there. This may be it for runners. The only problems so that some of us, when you're spend all the time running later in life, the knees go out. So if you have something to help the knees, that may be. That may also be maybe just I don't Nike can go with it like a whole exo body just to do the work force might take a few minutes to charge. Depending on how big a boy you are. But you know what I'm saying, Uh, coming up next some self serving bs with Jack Crumley said, we'll do the exit interview of news director Jack Cromley just ahead here seven hundred.
Speaker 6: Ww since then, do you want to.
Speaker 8: Be an American's only here?
Speaker 2: Seven hundred? I love doing these self serving things right here, these self service serving things, uh today are my friend and our news director of the last twenty something thousand years. Jack Crumley is scheduled to die, so he will. Yeah, it's nice, it's on the schedule. Jack crumbley won. This is his exit interview. So after how many years your news director? Since twenty nineteen when Jeff Henderson took over for the late Jeff Henderson. Now he's about to be the late Jack Crumley. Right, Wow, that's been that long. And you've been here for twenty something years, and so you're leaving for greener pastures. I'm not sure what BUCkies you're going to work at. Maybe the one in you brites, I'm not sure. But yeah, And every time someone leaves of prominence, and so I would say, you're fairly prominent here at this radio station. Well, I've been a voice on this station for such a long time in wanting out. My goal here then in the segment is to you to tell stories so by the end of it, you don't leave on your own. You're actually fired. So to have someone from management come in and go, okay, you're out, this is like an hr half yeah yeah yeah, but also so you But because if we do that, then you get on plumbing for a couple of days, So start your nerd. It sounds like a win win, sounds like a win for everybody here too, So in your tenure. So first, how did you you ended up at LW. You were in Toledo and you came down here.
Speaker 9: I was in Toledo and I came down here, and I have you to thank for that. Twenty years ago, in October of six, I had been up in Toledo doing airborne traffic Wow, back at a time when broadcast companies thought spending money on a little airplane flying around in Toledo for traffic reports was money.
Speaker 2: Wells sure, sure, And then on top of that they realized, well, wait a minute, Toledo, there's no traffic here, which is why then we all got laid off.
Speaker 9: Correct, And I knew a guy one of the guys that I knew up in Toledo by the name of Jeremy Baumhauer. Uh, let me know about you down here, and that there was an opening in the newsroom, and that is how I got my foot in the door. And I will always be grateful.
Speaker 7: To thank you.
Speaker 6: I appreciate that. I just it was luck.
Speaker 2: I knew I was going to ask that because I get a commercial for me made me look like a good guy for a change. Anyway, so too, I'm just surprised you're dumb enough to hang around that long.
Speaker 6: So it was fun, long.
Speaker 2: Be prom but it was we have a good time, good fun, We have a good The funniest story was though you had just started at l W and I was doing nine to midnight, you were on nine nine and I was doing two to ten, and I get this phone call going, hey, are you watching the Sopranos finale this weekend?
Speaker 9: That's right, that's how I last It was that was the last season of that show. And I had someone who was taping it for me and mailing me a videotape. Hey, because I didn't have HBO when I moved down here, yea, and I and I didn't want to miss the finale. It was going to be the biggest thing in the woods, and so yeah, you you and your wife were nice enough to have me over at your house to watch that finale live.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well i'd like it was a big screen, which was like probably forty inches back then. Yeah, and the funniest you tell the stories. We're sitting there watching it, and if you don't know Sopranos ends, it's a really weird ending to the show. It's a very abrupt cut to black. Yeah, they're playing Journey Don't Stop Believing, and they just stopped the song and TQ was black. We're all looking. He's like, ooh, I'm looking at the remote yelling at my wife. Well you thought she did something. You shot off the.
Speaker 9: Couch like someone had blasted you within like an ejector seat, and you were running for the TV because the immediate assumption was that something had gone wrong technologically, so you're running for the TV to try to make an adjustment. Michelle's screaming at the top of her lungs, and then after like ten seconds, the credits started to rolling. You're like, oh, that was on purpose, and it was I will always room.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was very funny. We looked at You're like, oh, that was kind of dumb.
Speaker 2: Sure, it's going to go on in the middle of the show, that's but technology was that iffy back in the day. You don't know what's going on. The sheer terror that the show cut out right at the end. We lost our mind and that was like one of the most controversial endings to achiev show probably in history, indeed, I think for the end of The Ranos. In your tenure grade and news, what are the most memorable stories news stories you remember?
Speaker 9: Most memorable news stories you know early on when I was here is when Cincinnati was in the aftermath of the whole Marcus Faisal case, which, as you recall, was a little boy who I believe had autism and was being fostered and the people who were fostering him ultimately were charged with killing him after they had lied about the fact that he had run away. And I remember hearing stories before I got here, of people out in the community like doing searches.
Speaker 2: It was a big public thing.
Speaker 9: We got to find this kid and then come to find out he had been very tragically he was gone, and all the uproar of the trial Liz Carroll's trial and then the that was I mean, that was the biggest story of the year here for like three or four years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was two thousand and August of two thousand and six. I remember, I don't remember that. It was such a horrible story because they took his remains and burned him and he locked him in a closet so they could go to a family and it was August. It was just a nightmare, and they had a fan in there and they thought that, you know, I just came back. Well, even them in there like a I don't know, like a like a cat, like I will leave the food out or something just left in the closet. The poor baby. Just just horrible circumstances. One of the worst stories I've ever heard. But I remember vividly at the time because the the the foster mom was on camera at Julis Park and normally when there's a family member we're looking for, you know, okay, we gotta we gotta find him, and he's missing, and there were nobody behind her normally, like you see police officers and prosecuted, like people will stand behind you and like we're watching that press com was like man, something's missing here, and somebody in them won't put their finger and go yeah, there's no police standing about it. When you when you stand up by yourself, yeah, you know that she was the suspect, and that was like literally a day after that happened. But of course they're both buried underneath the jail right now as well, well you should be. And there was another woman involved who was like the girlfriend, right and it was crazy just just she was the one that flipped and took the plea deal crazy horror. It seems like, you know, because you're kind of a news junkie that Cincinnati and I we always joke about this, but we have the most bizarre thing. Like I don't think any other city has the weird stories that we have happen like they do here.
Speaker 9: There's there are a lot of unique headlines that come out of this town that are rooted in like the history of the city and like it's there, whether you're talking about like shocking tragedies or just sort of weird quirks. Uh, yeah, there's a lot of this to this listen, Cincinnati's got a ton of personality, it really does.
Speaker 2: We have like the weirdest it's and it's a horror another horrible story, but the right the hitting, the hinting thing, Oh gosh, the kid gets shot, the dad goes and runs over a deputy to me, I don't know where else in the world that happens but Cincinnati, Ohio. And it's not. Sometimes they're laughable, like we had to stretch. Remember when cows are getting loose all the time?
Speaker 9: Two pops a moo and another pop. Shout out to uh the former Rachel Murray.
Speaker 2: Rachel Murray, two pops a moo and another shot was her teas before this is the ten thirty report.
Speaker 6: I'm Rachel Murray.
Speaker 2: What the hell Cole's got loose on Interstate and that it was a stretch where that was happening often like every few months, like I don't know something that overturned or I can't believe. We didn't have a we didn't have a sounder that was just live stock loose. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we had I remember like Coyle's were loose at at what the Home Days and Chevy It we had a tractor trailer full of pigs that got loose, and it was just it was this.
Speaker 6: Weird thing that was going on.
Speaker 2: Although no one could figure out why it was uh and then for a stretch we had like before they fixed it was a litle tunnel. It would be shut down every couple of minutes, I felt like because some idiot would be would be driving around and you know, roll through the tunnel and block it for a day and a half. And yeah, we just got weird stories here. And it's a good news town. I think it's a great news town. It's a great town for it's a great town period, but it's it's a great news as you grew up in Cleveland, just outside.
Speaker 9: Of Cleveland is where I grew up, and yeah, moved here twenty years ago, and this is this is very much home.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And I think everyone who moves to Cincinnati goes and not everyone, of course, but yourself is like this is home now, this is home, this will always be home.
Speaker 9: I felt, and I felt that way the minute I got here. I was not very happy in Toledo, and getting to move out of there and come here was what I felt to be at the time and even still was a big upgrade.
Speaker 6: For Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: It's just there's a there's a great sense here at the station there's a lot of talented people here, there's some untalented people. Let's start with them. That's part of the exit. This is the exit interview for Jack Crumley here, this is the last day at seven. Who's the worst person you know that works in this building? Yeah, there is no worst person. I get at That's fine. I know, but I know, I know You're probably gonna say Matt Reese, and I'd agree with you.
Speaker 9: Oh, come on, that's that's one of the best. He's out there right now producing doing stuff.
Speaker 2: I heard him the other day and it was a couple of we always will have like a text chain going, and he started with like, yesterday, okay, Pam BONDI gets fired, We've got a war. We got all the stuff done, and like the first it's a it's a what four minute newscasts. The first three minutes we're all about, well, we're going to pray the steps and then tomorrow's good Friday. I think you really had to sit down and talk with him, because if I flipped over to the to the Catholic station, they did more news than he did.
Speaker 9: Listen, that was even the lead for the Catholic station. It is always the policy to lead local. We want local as our bread and butter, and praying the steps is a century old tradition. We talked about just a minute ago, how much personality and history this city has.
Speaker 2: Praying the steps is a big thing.
Speaker 6: Well are you going to.
Speaker 2: Miss most I'm gonna miss you a lot. Well that's not true. Sure, well I know, But even so, what do I bring to the table. I'm talking about your news like news wise, who back in the news room.
Speaker 9: I mean, listen, you know you talk about when you're when you're at work and the sort of the day to day grind of doing things, whether that means putting together a schedule or finding stories or getting people on the phone or writing a newscast like all that sort of fades off into into the distance. And the important stuff is the people. You know, seeing Brian and Rick in here every morning, and and and Sandy, and you know, maybe somebody given Matt a hard time about something and Matt giving it right back. It's it's a really wonderful crew here. And I am going to miss the people.
Speaker 2: I will say this, and I think it's probably to anyone listening in their workplace. It's the same thing after a while you realize it's like, yeah, you maybe maybe you love your fortunate love what you do. Yeah, maybe you love who you work for, maybe not whatever, But it's always it's the people. It's not the job. Always, it's always the people, and it's it's hilarious. So you can never recapture that moment if you leave, or if you're tired, or you know, whatever it might be. It's it's really hard to do that. But that's what you cherish, is the people and the memories and and the camaraderie and things like that. What is the funniest thing you ever remember happening off the air? Oh my gosh, off the I'm gonna put you on the spot here, oh boy, because there's lots of.
Speaker 6: Lots of stuff.
Speaker 2: But I said, you know, what would be a great podcast is the stuff that happens off the air that you're not allowed to talk about on here. Yeah. But then but often we talk about the stuff on the air and that that happens behind the scenes.
Speaker 6: But there's always some funny stuff.
Speaker 9: Boy, you know, the back when having video like you know, before we really had uh phones that had video cameras on them, and we're taking like back when video was kind of a novelty.
Speaker 2: Still.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I remember there was a prank that got pulled. It ended up being on the air because it was part of a promotion. But like there was footage of like William Seig getting into a fight in the hallway, which led to like some kind of suspension because somebody was going on vacation. Was Darryl was a big fan of doing doing that, goofs like that to mess with people. And like somebody was in a hallway shooting a video and then like all of a sudden, you saw this ruckus in the background and that led to something else, and you know, stuff like that was always really fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the funniest thing is and and Jack Crumley's here. I was gonna say, you know, the late Jack Crumley, and I made a mistake because last time I did it was Bill Cunningham when he fell off the chair on a Sunday night showing it's hilarious and I was goofing on the air about it about him, you know, the late Bill Cunningham and a head injury and close head injury and as he died literally died behind the mic in the Inquirer Cincinnati com had actually wrote a story about Bill Cunningham not dying, like I've never I've never remember a story coming out where somebody's written not an what's the opposite of an obituary. I don't know, a birth announcement.
Speaker 6: I spose I suppose it is. Yeah, it was like Bill.
Speaker 9: Cunningham is not dead, right, and then tomorrow we'll have another person who's also nice.
Speaker 2: Back in the day, Willie used to kill off the truck and Bosoll all the time, like he'd be late or something. I Bozo's dead, long lived the Bozo. And now it's like we take everything so serious. I think that's something else that's changed. We take everything today so seriously when it comes to news and talk, right, it's like, you know, I don't know why we are. And even in real life like social media, everything is you know, we just had April Fol's Day, Remember April Fol's jokes for some of the really good people are afraid to do that stuff anymore.
Speaker 9: Well, and uh yeah, listen, I mean you can be professional and you can have it's possible to be professional and have fun. But I mean, I don't know, people get when it's written down, when something's on the internet, that's the same thing as writing it down and then it's there forever. And the idea of say it, forget it, write it, regret it is still kind of a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And it just seems like to stay everyone's just looking to get you too, But I'm not too. And you know a lot of good memories of your job too. But is it gotten harder to do news because of the scrutiny that that everything because of the filter of left and right and polics of course is a big part of the of the station, even though we're not at political station by any means, because there's all other entertainment on there versus politics that in that in this realm, it's do you feel like people are scrutinizing more like listeners especially or I don't know other media sources, do you?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think so. There's you know, because you're always accused your bias. Like I got an email yesterday from saying, I said, you know, I was because I said, you know, the advantage of taking a ran out is maybe you just got to wipe the slate clean every ten years instead of boots on the ground. This is what you do, and some have disagreed and said, you know, typical boomer. But then I'll I'll tack Trump on something and get the well, you're a liberal and disguised And it's kind of funny because I don't remember any point in history of like doing that, of just speaking your mind, and it's like you must be part of some secret agenda, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: And you guys in news know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I think there maybe on a cultural level, there is a bit of a rush to want to put something in a category. We want to see something, categorize it, and then move on to the next thing. And people are maybe a little bit more complicated than that. Sometimes it's not always as convenient as well, you fit into this one category and that's what you are, and then we move on. People are complicated. I don't know that if the scrutiny is any worse, necessarily you might get it from a new angle as far as the Internet goes. But I mean, you know, going back twenty years when I started here, the phone would ring, and if somebody didn't like what they heard in a newscast, they'd let you know about it, or you know, here's something else I think you should check out. You know, back in like eight when gas prices, everyone was going crazy when gas was hitting like two fifty a gallon. I remember answering a ton of calls from people that were all upset about the price of gas and what are you going to do about it? It's like, guys, it's a global commodity. We live in a global.
Speaker 6: Nothing you can do about it, right right? Yeah.
Speaker 2: Jack Crumley's on the show, Jack Coursar, newsguy, news director, and today is his last day and he's moving on to something else.
Speaker 6: He will not disclose that. So the speculation was that.
Speaker 2: You're going to be the spokesperson for the Amy Acting campaign or Tiger Wood's new limo driver.
Speaker 9: I don't think he's hiring. I think that's that's a job he should have filled along time. I don't know what about can you pitch because you're prone to blisters?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 9: But you know, we had a great night with the dart team last night. I am I am on a dart team and we won ten five. The Sticky Bandits beat the Sticky that's our team name, the Sticky Bandits. We beat the Silverton Cafe Red eyes ten five last night. So I'm actually here to announce that I am joined a pro the pro to a lot of nil money in darts, and I plan on.
Speaker 2: It's kind of old news actually, because I heard seg sportscast this morning. He included in that the sticky sticky fingers jack probably and he got he threw up a bull's eye.
Speaker 9: You know, one of the best things, one of the best things that Seg ever did when we were doing darts, you know, because I would talk about what sort of fun I was having with my dart people. And the one year when the season was getting started, it was the first week of the season and Seg got on with Willie and the Stooge Report and talked about how well we're getting ready for the darts opening Day parade and they're they're going to close down Montgomery Road in Norwood and bronson Arroyal is going to be the Grand Marshall and like so many guys from so many teams week after we kept saying, yeah, did you guys really do a parade? It was like the EBN Fools Parade all over again. It is, and what's a while you'll do something like that?
Speaker 2: Because speaking of Final Memory here too, back in the day, because I was doing nine to mid night. You are also I was tons in the same time, and you can never do this anymore. To show how long ago this would I did this spoof on War of the Worlds something on Halloween, one of my all time favorites. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And you go ahead lay it out.
Speaker 9: You did a bit on Halloween for the first hour of your show where you constructed this entire false thing that you were presenting as real. This was a War of the World's homage, and you know, the idea was that they had declared the city of Cleveland was bankrupt. The entire city of Cleveland was declared bankrupt, and everyone in Cleveland was going to have to come south on I seventy one, and people in Cincinnati were going to have to put them up in housing they were going to have to live. And to the idea of this, it was a Northeast Ohio invasion.
Speaker 2: Cleveland was in vain, coming down the highways, and it was the first hour of your show.
Speaker 9: We even made sure we talked with management ahead of time, and I had my nine to thirty News, which would have been halfway through your bit on this had there like I pulled a clip from a fake press conference that you would aired earlier, and we again we made sure this was all cleared ahead of time because this is a little better on it. And I remember the phone was ringing off the hook from people saying, yeah, what in the heck are you guys talking about? And I was getting them on tape to saying, yeah, what do you think about it? If you have to put up somebody from Cleveland, and then they get mad and hang up the phone. And I remember, in the midst of all this, the phone's ringing off the hook and it's wild.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 9: I was full of adrenaline with how wild this was. And I remember asking you, well, what are you going to do for the other two hours of the show, and you just looked at me and you said, pick up the pieces.
Speaker 2: Pick up the pieces. Well, a boy, that was a hoot.
Speaker 6: It was fine.
Speaker 2: And it ended with the as I recall, we P and G got involved and dropped soap flakes as kind of like a repellent yep to keep the people from Cleveland.
Speaker 6: Any Cleveland News picked up on us.
Speaker 2: Soap flakes drove the clevelanders away and that's.
Speaker 6: How I want to believe.
Speaker 2: It was much much more entertaining and finier than the description we just gave it. But I'm telling you at this point I don't I don't remember much, but I was a leader. Hey, we're going to miss you tremendously, So good luck and what it is you do, whatever that is you're going. I'm sure you'll be in touch. And Jack Crumley leaving his news director. But twenty years here at the station is remarkable. So thank you for congratulations on your next adventure. I'm here because you got my foot little. Okay, there you go, Jack Crumley heard of your first going in the soft core porn starting on Monday. I gotta go. All right, there he goes. He's yeah, the management's waiting outside for you right now.
Speaker 6: See I did it. Finally he's gonna get fired. This is I was just.
Speaker 2: Believing to take a new job, and now the Inquire is going to run a story that says Jack Grumley has been and now it screws up his new job and he has to stay. This is great. This is the best bit ever. Seven underd WLW Austin's next thing on. All right here we go. But before we go, we got to go with a breaking news here at the Nation station seven hundred WLW ABC News reporting that an F fifteen E Strike Eagle fighter jet American fighter jet down in Iran and not much is known right now other than it's an active search in rescue operation, but Iranian media posting images of what appears to be a down fighter aircraft identified as an F fifteen E. No idea of the status and the truth of this or not, but again, that is a report that we are missing a Strike Eagle down inside the border of Iran. Will have the latest on that for you when it warrants here on seven hundred WW. But to less serious topics here, our buddy Austin Elmore from ESPN fifteen thirty is in to taco a Weekend Sports because that's what it's all about. We have, of course more March matus. We got the final four set. We are ready to rock and roll. But we begin with the news that Nick Lodolo is probably not going to pitch in his scheduled start against Miami. Got a rehab assignment, as you know, with the low aide dead Dayton Tortugas, the Turtles and it was gonna. I think it was a throw like I don't know, sixty to seventy pitches, but got the forty and guess what, mister blister is back.
Speaker 10: Yeah, blister returns on that left index finger for Nick Flodolo. It was the season opener for the Daytona Toritugas and as you mentioned, supposed to throw sixty five pitches, retired the first eight batters on forty look like himself, and the blister came back. We've learned a lot about this blister over the last couple of years because it's a recurring issue with Lodolo, and one of the things we know with blisters is that the heat can make it worse. So the Reds of course sent Nick Lodolo to Florida to rehab the blister.
Speaker 6: He would just jump over to Miami for start.
Speaker 10: I get it, and the weather in Louisville kind of got you know, Harry, and he didn't want to screw up the timing and I get it, but I think it's something. I don't know what else they can do. And I know that Nick has worked hard on this and he has a callous and like there are like it's not just everyone wants to call him soft, and everybody wants to call him a baby, and I've seen a lot of that on social media. A blister is painful. A blister on your pitching index finger is extremely painful. I think one of the issues he's going to have to figure out is the grip on his slider, because I think that's what causes it more than just about anything else, right, but his slider is what makes him a really, really nasty pitcher. You don't want to restart and completely rebuild a pitch in April, but I don't know. I mean, if you're not pitching, if you're not playing, you.
Speaker 2: Can't use this. It doesn't see him the way he throws, he's gonna be able to get with. Well, I just won't throw a slider. It's not like he has a ton of other pitches. That's that's what he's known for. So h yeah, And you know, I was mentioned a hockey thing earlier on the show, and it's like, I know, it's an uncare fair comparison. I stated that, but it's like, man, it's like it's the point of contact with your fai. That's the most important part of what he does is that fingertip and it just keeps getting rud ride. I don't know at this age and at the stage of his curreer, can you develop another pitch? And you're right with the season just started, you don't have time to do it. When are you going to do it?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 10: And it should have been something he was working on in the off season, knowing how his blisters and this is the third or fourth time in three or four years that we've had to deal with Nicolo Dolo blisters. They normally don't happen until later on in the season. So I don't know what the course of action is. I know Terry Francona talks in about two hours from now, a little bit less than that in Texas ahead of the game against the Rangers. He'll hopefully provide an update that gives some sort of timeline or understanding or what exactly it was. But frustrating for Nick, frustrating for the club, frustrating for the fans.
Speaker 2: Well, you got two year starters, right, Soladolo and Green Greens out for the foreseeable future with the bone chips. How long can they hold us together?
Speaker 10: It's a good question. I mean, I think as far as the bullpen is concerned. That's probably the unit you have the least faith in right now. Through the first six games, they just haven't looked at as much of a shutdown or dominant unit that we've seen in years past. And Brandon Williamson, I think the guy he was the other night is not the guy he's going to be moving forward. He hadn't pitched in the big leagues in two years. I'm willing to give him a little bit of grace. It's one start, yeah, and Chase Burns can yeah, exactly. So I think that as these pitchers, the starting rotation continue to build up towards the end of this month, that can go deeper into games. I think that will ease the load on the bullpen for sure, and I think they can make do for the time being. But I don't know what the timeline is for Lodolo, so I don't know if they can handle.
Speaker 6: It or not.
Speaker 2: Speaking of that bullpen, and Pegan was troubling the other night, but again it's once it was his first opportunity, so let's not let's not get too freaked out by this, but it was not good.
Speaker 10: No relief pitcher, no closing pitcher, in baseball over the last couple of years, has given up more home runs than Amelia Pagon.
Speaker 2: It is concerning.
Speaker 10: He's not a guy that you feel comfortable with a one or two run lead in the ninth inning. You just don't. You might remember he should have given up another home run. Last year, noelvi Marte saved him in that wall catch against the Pittsburgh Pirates and essentially saved the season. I wanted that guy to be Connor Phillips, to emerge as a potential c to take over for lemeli Opegan. And the last two times he's bits, he's walked, the first two batters he's face. So that's a shaky unit right now. Hopefully on the road they have an opportunity to get right. And maybe it's as simple as Emelio Pagan is a fly ball pitcher in a ballpark that doesn't help him, and maybe he should close on the road and not at home.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We gotta figure it out, and you know it is is it repeating itself? Granted it's the first home series, is of the first road stand. We don't want to freak out in April and the Reds are sitting in fifth place or a fourth fifth place, right, But you look at that run differential, and all we heard about, all we saw in Arizona was them rekiing. I mean, everybody's hitting the ball, right. Silstewart continues to be impressive, but Ellie was hitting at Matt McClain. Everybody's getting into the action. Here we are in the first series of the week. Milwaukee is a run differential of twenty eight plus twenty eight, Saint Louis plus one, Pittsburgh plus three, Chicago, the Cobbies plus six, Red's minus nine.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't care about the run differential. I care about the number of runs you've scored. Milwaukee scored over forty. Chicago and the Cardinals and the Pirates are all at thirty, the Reds are at seventeen.
Speaker 6: That's the issue.
Speaker 10: And you know, got to remember that what happens in Arizona really doesn't matter for a number of reasons. Number One, the air is different out there, breaking balls don't move. You're facing minor league pictures for the most part, you'll piff facing guys that are working on stuff. There's not a bunch of advanced scouting and data on what you do, and don't do well, and the meetings that go into the matchups every single day. What's happening right now in Texas before the Reds and the Rangers play, is the Reds are having meetings with their pitchers and with their hitters. Here's what the pitchers do, Here's what the hitters do, Here's what they're good at, Here's what they're bad at. Here's how we plan to attack them. That doesn't happen in Arizona. And because the scouting and the data and the plan of attack is much different in the regular season on a day to day basis, you're going to see those results drop.
Speaker 6: That's why it does that. League wide, The issue.
Speaker 10: For the Reds remains what it has been for the last couple of years, which is that they are struggling to push runs across the plate. Now, the guys that they got to help with that have all really done their job. Sala Stewart's hit a couple of homers. Au Heneo swarz Is hit a couple of homers. Ellie Daily Cruise hit a couple of homers.
Speaker 2: TJ.
Speaker 10: Friedel stinks, Spencer Steer has stunk key. Brian Hayes is maybe the worst offensive player in baseball, no production out of the catching position whatsoever. There's just holes in the lineup right now.
Speaker 2: You know, you mentioned run differential doesn't matter, but I think i'll push back a little on that.
Speaker 6: It does.
Speaker 2: When your two year starting pitchers are down, you need more run production in order. You know, six six runs in two games against Pittsburgh's not getting done.
Speaker 10: That's my point is the runs. I don't care about the differential right now. I care about if they would have scored runs, if they would be a league average team right now, there wouldn't be an issue with the run differential.
Speaker 2: All right, Red's on the road again. Series will see what happens Home of the Red seven hundred. WW will have that for you tonight, and you know, your fingers crossed it. Hopefully they can get healthier, and this is just not the way you want to start to see it. Although, man, what they're three and three right now. It's way early, But we say that every that's the problem.
Speaker 6: How many times ago it's early.
Speaker 2: It's earlier, and then nigger, well should we be concerned in a month or two?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean I think it's yeah, I think it's foolish. To make sweeping statements about people. At this point in the season, and especially looking at the rest of this month, there are teams and games and series that are winnable. The Minnesota Twins and the Colorado Rockies, two teams that are trying to lose baseball games, are on this schedule. The Angels, who are not what they used to be now. Texas and Miami have played well, but they've played those teams. I just mentioned Miami in Chicago, in the Colorado Rockies. So there's still a lot of room here for the Reds to be fine in the month of April.
Speaker 2: All right, So let's pivot. We have a free agency at the Bengals. Couple signings, a couple you know, depth moves, I think, but also Jonathan Allen two years, twenty six million dollars, good interior pass rush right there, forty five and a half career sacks, pro bowler, you know later's career. We talked about that, But let's talk about Dougger. Let's talk about j Just sir Taylor, just sir, who just sir? The best name in the best name of the team.
Speaker 10: Right now, I have to lead the league in men with the surname Jah with an apostrophe. Right, We've got Jae Mahr and just Sir, Just Sir. Taylor is a former draft pick that the Los Angeles char Chargers more of a special teams player, has had over twenty tackles on special teams. I think of him as the guy that can replace Tyson Anderson as you know, the dude that's running down there on special teams now. The reason he signed with the Bengals is because he was told he'll have a chance to compete for the nickel corner spot, and so he passed up guaranteed money to come to Cincinnati for a chance to play on defense. That I think is a good thing really, and so him and Jalen Davis are going to be battling it out at the nickel spot. I think the Bengals will address that position the draft as well as far as Kyle Dugger is concerned. Nice pick up a versatile player. He can play either safety position, he can come down and be a blitzer. He's actually taking a pretty decent amount of snaps at the line back position as well. So I think he gives you versatility and depth at multiple positions, and they need that you should always be trying to upgrade the bottom of the roster. Kyle Duggar, just a couple of years ago with New England was one of the better safeties in the league. They used a franchise tag on him at one point, so and has provided some big plays against the Bengals in recent years, most notably last year had to pick a six against Joe Flacco. So this is a dude that can help you. He's the perfect third safety on this team. It's a good move. It's not, you know, a move that takes them to the Super Bowl. But depth matters, and they didn't have depth at that position now they do.
Speaker 2: But you still have to hit it out with free agents. You still with the draft, you still have to. Yeah, without a doubt, there's something you haven't done on what and Ned has hit it out of the park.
Speaker 10: I don't know that this necessarily changes their plans for the draft. I mean, a couple of one year deals. Shouldn't You shouldn't be in that mindset. I still am operating under the belief that they are going to draft a corner in the first round. I think they'll try to draft an edge rusher in the second round or vice versa. Flip it, flop it. There's still a lot of holes that need to be filled on the defense.
Speaker 2: And yeah, all right, Final four Yukon, Illinois, Arizona, Michigan.
Speaker 8: Go.
Speaker 10: I'm rooting for Michigan. I guess I'm rooting for Arizona more than anybody else. I think Arizona, Yukon, Illinois, and then that's it. Yeah, pretty much. I don't really want Illinois or Michigan to win. I don't like Dan Hurley that much. I think he's a lunatic, and so I'll root for Arizona. First final four twenty five years pretty good, Yeah, I mean cool for them and anybody, but Michigan.
Speaker 6: How's that affecting your body?
Speaker 10: Unfortunately, though I will say this, I did pick Florida. I will think Michigan to win the national championship.
Speaker 2: Yea, they look pretty good, They're formidable. They're pretty forfidable right now. But I hope they lose by fifty. Although Yukon came back from what nineteen against du guy's pretty bad impresient.
Speaker 10: I mean, you want to talk about battle tested teams, Yukon is that. And they have a coaching staff that has been here a lot over the last couple of years, so I would give them an advantage for sure. But I also think the age and the experience of Illinois and just the refined game that those guys have, it's going to make us for some good matchups.
Speaker 6: But I still think Michigan's the best team, all right.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, I do want to We have FC Cincinnati, of course, still early to talk about. You know, they're still trying to figure it out in the ms OLSS is so long. Who do they have this weekend?
Speaker 6: Even though the New York Red Bulls the Red Bulls, Yes, yeah, all right, so that's.
Speaker 10: A game that's gonna happen. They're coming off the international where the men's national team got their face bashed in. I'll tell you what this we we are positioning ourselves as an American soccer organization right now to get embarrassed at the World Cup later we should. It's it's not Boston not going well. They're all over the country and we're not going to make it that far. We'll be lucky to make it to the round of sixteen. I don't think that's going to happen.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: We brought home gold three times for hockey in the Olympics, Paralympics, the women's and the men. So there you go. That's all I care. We we got pretty I'm pretty happy about that. Do you think you got issues? How about Tiger War? Does Tiger Woods have issues? Tiger Woods has issues. He's withdrawn now from the Masters because the sore wrists. Tiger Woods is one of my favorite athletes ever. It's incredible. I like love that dude, love watching him play. I tell people all the time, the twenty nineteen Master is my favorite sporting event that I've ever seen, like ever. It was the coolest thing ever. He needs help, Yeah, it does.
Speaker 10: And I'm glad that. You know, maybe he's this is the way getting it, maybe somewhere else and he can go away from me whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's yad because you know, we have tremendous and you know it used to be a joke, but it's, you know, serious. He's he's clearly he's dependent on painkillers because of all the surgeris he's had. It's no different than people get jammed up in everyday life. And he's an icon and you just you know, you saw that one. My god, it's it's the dash cam video and the bodycam video is terrible because he's falling asleep and he's clearly out of it. He's driving and he gets like in the middle of the arrest, he's talking to Trump and like it's the most bizarre footage of all roles is twenty five dollars zone. It's a it's a landscaping truck and flips it for the second time in a few years. The guy needs some serious help.
Speaker 10: The videos of him and in the back of the police car and just kind of he's got the hiccups and he's got this look on his face and this talle it just it's sad, Like there's no other way to put it. And I I retweeted something on my Twitter at audio More. It was written by Jordan Rodgers, who's a long time marketing executive for Nike and was a former drug addict and spent time in jail, and he wrote what I think has been the best piece of literature about Tiger Woods. And he calls it, you know, Tiger Woods, the savior nobody can save and talks about the loneliness that that Tiger is dealing with, and uh, it just sad. Man, I know it's easy to make fun of and that's what the internet does. Yeah, I get it, and and you know you make choices like that, you deserve to be made fun of.
Speaker 2: But I hope he just hope he's okay. Yeah, I had worried about him coming bag. Who cares about that dude at this point to tgl and that's fine to go in that senior to or whatever. But if Tiger's got fixed, Tiger, Yeah, it's no doubt about It's been too long. So Austin elm Or late today that doing at ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 10: With with Tony Pike. Were gonna have Charlie Goldsmith from Texas talking about the Reds and the Rangers, Tommy g on FC Cincinnati as well. Also a new episode of the Ball Don't Live podcast just dropped talking about the Bengals and what I think their plan is coming up in the draft.
Speaker 2: And fantastic Audie. Thanks again, have a great weekend. We've got news in Reds Baseball. Four oh five is the first pitch A three oh five inside pitch here on the Home of the Reds seven hundred WW.
Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American?
Speaker 6: It is a spring break time.
Speaker 2: You may have already enjoyed spring break, you're in the middle of it, or it's about to happen. But here's a question. So you're going to travel wherever that might be, uh, your data, You're protecting your luggage, You're protecting your stuff. You clutch it close to you to make sure no one snags your your luggage. Are you doing that with your devices? Your phone and your device or that matter knows everything about you. But guess what minute you walk in an airport, hotel, whatever it might be, a stranger may now will also know everything about you as well.
Speaker 6: Kim Key is here.
Speaker 2: She is PC Magazine's senior security writer or writer, and Kim welcome. How are you.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm doing fantastic.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good to have you and I love the perkiness this morning. It's interesting. I remember years ago, I think it was a Sochi Olympics, whatever year that was. I was talking to a security expert and they said, yeah, the basically they give everyone a burner phone because you go to place like Russia, you turn the minute you walk into the airport, what minute you leave the plane and your phone goes on. You get to sell everything on that phone has already been taken. It's scared the hell out of me. And obviously that's happening here, right, I mean, maybe not to that level, but it's pretty frightening.
Speaker 3: Well. The socio Olympics I believe, was in like two thousand and eight or so, and thankfully we have had a lot of sort of changes since then. One thing that has changed since thing that most of the Internet, most of your browser traffic is going to be encrypted by defaults, right, so you may not have the kind of risks that you might have had back then, thankfully, But that doesn't mean that you know it's risk free, right, because the risk have changed because the criminals are much more advanced as the technology has gotten more advanced. So my advice typically for people is to just assess.
Speaker 5: What you actually need to bring with.
Speaker 3: You when you're traveling, right, So you don't necessarily need to bring your phone and your tablet and the laptop, because you're just increasing your risk for leaving something, having it get stolen, losing it, that sort of thing. And these devices have your whole life on them in some cases. So I usually just suggest that people maybe leave one or two things at home this time instead of taking everything with you, And also make sure to log out of your account before you leave, because if your phone gets lost or stolen, somebody might be able to just hop in and get into all of your stuff.
Speaker 2: How does that work him with everything in the cloud though, because it sinks across devices, So if one device is compromised, aren't they are they on.
Speaker 3: Compromise sometimes That's why you should really have two factor authentication or pass keys protecting your accounts. That way, even if you're logged in across you still need to use a second form of authentication to verify that you are who you say you are and that you should be getting into that account. So you know, an easy way to do that is to manage all of that by using a password manager. You can download one for free, and you don't have to remember your passwords anymore. You don't have to keep track of your pass keys any more, and it's just it just makes life a lot easier that way, and it also makes you just inherently more secure because you're not using the same password for all of your accounts.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I'm an Apple user and Apple has passwords, but I also have dashline, and I've had that for years and I kind of like having a backup to the backup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that is the perfect thing to do. Absolutely. I usually I tell people, you know, if you want to spread your passwords across multiple passwords managers, that's one way to make sure that even if somebody managed to somehow get into that account, they aren't going to be able to get to all the rest of the keys to your castle, so to speak.
Speaker 2: Right right, Kim Key is here with PC Meg and she's their senior security writer. Spring break week starting unofficially the summer travel seasons, is kind of like the test run for it. But you know, everyone's worried about TSA line should be worried as much about your digital security as well, because if you're not prepared, your information could be compromised in an airport. And I think the thing you log on airport Wi Fi, you're sitting there waiting for your flight for twenty five hours on a cold cement floor because the T and the TSA lines are eight years long, and you're sitting here look at it, so you're not thinking how secure is that connection? And like a public place like an airport and then we'll follow up that with hotels.
Speaker 3: Okay, So typically I would say that, like I was saying earlier, the browser traffic, which is what you're probably going to be using in that situation, you know, just browsing looking to figure out where your flight is. That sort of thing that is typically pretty secure. Now, we in the past, we've suggested that people, you know, connect to a VPN, but that comes with its own sort of issues because you have to decide, oh, am I going to actually trust this VPN service with my browsing traffic too?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: You don't know who's watching that because it's a you know, it's a privately owned company, who knows who could be seeing what you're looking at on your email and that sort of thing. So, you know, I typically tell people, you know, i'd keep to just using your browser, don't use a whole lot of apps. I wouldn't do any.
Speaker 5: Sort of banking or anything.
Speaker 3: That should be kind of sensitive and a on public Wi fi because you just you can't quite be sure what's going on there now.
Speaker 2: If you have to do some banking. So I'm like, can I just turn my WiFi off and you sell you or that's safe?
Speaker 3: Right, that's what I personally. I would do that if you absolutely had to. But I prefer to try and do that stuff away or at home or at work someplace where I know that I'm on a secure network, and I already know every everything that's on that network already, right, I have a good idea of it. I'm also a security person.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 7: Well, you know.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm sitting in the airport.
Speaker 2: I get a text of a of a I don't know, a citation or a toll that I paid from a state I didn't drive, and I got to pay that right now, Kim, or they're gonna they're gonna seize my assets.
Speaker 3: Don't do it. Don't do it, Scott. No, I saw one the other day.
Speaker 2: I got one the other day, Kim. You love this, and it's it's going around. It's a scam about a It's like a parking ticket, looks official. It has the state seal on it. It says from Columbus, while I live in Cincinnati. Also, they spelled at higher and the state of Ohio was spelled wrong, and it said in the court of Atlanta.
Speaker 6: So I'm thinking it probably was legit.
Speaker 2: I just wonder, but people got a fall for this stuff because well, you got to be careful they do.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you that that's actually part of the scammer's sort of trick is they want they add in little things that are obviously wrong because they want the people who are not paying attention to be the ones who fall for the scan because then you know they will be able to take them for more money. They're essentially trying to weed out anybody who's going to, you know, ask questions or think critically. And that's why we tell people, hey, look very very closely at stuff, at the text messages that you get from people that you don't know, especially when you're traveling, especially when you're out of your routine. Just take take a look and make sure that this looks legit doesn't it or or it does. And also I would show that text to other people.
Speaker 5: Like, get another pair of eyes on it, right.
Speaker 3: Say okay, does this seem real to you? And most likely your friend or your colleague or your family member will go oh no, no, absolutely not, just deleted to move on.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The hard part is, of course, you know, most courts now are looking for you to pay them in iTunes gift cards. So I've paid a lot of fines in the Actually that's how I paid my mortgage in iTunes gift cards. Kim Key is here PC mag senior security writer on the show on seven hundred WLW talking about traveling in spring break underway and kids coursing on bringing their devices and they're not paying attention. And you may not be either and worried about TSA security and keep an eye in your bag, but you're not thinking about what happens when you sit at an airport or a hotel for that matter, and you're logged down. Now, what about what about hotel WiFi? Is that more risky or less?
Speaker 3: I think that hotel wi fi has similar risks to your airport WiFi and that you know it is public and so therefore you don't know who else is on it. But also if you're using your browser, your your traffic is encrypted, so you should be fine. But again, dude, I wouldn't do anything that is particularly sensitive like banking, like checking you know, important emails or anything like that. Just it's better to be safe than sorry.
Speaker 2: I know, I know there's a lot of VPN clients out there. Virtual private network is what it is. Protowns is a good one. You know, I've tried to use it before, and there are times are you know, especially like streaming or something like that, and it'll say, well, no, you're in Alaska and you're not, like wait a minute, I'm not. I'm still at Ohio. And so VPN basically tricks the other ip into thinking you're somewhere you're not. So it's a layer of security. But the problem is that some of the services you may be used to using there say well you're out of the country could because it explain I somebody does understand what VPN is, how it works, what it does, and why you need it when you should use it.
Speaker 3: Sure, a VPN is a virtual private network, as you said, and it basically creates a tunnel that your traffic goes through instead of going through you know, the regular sort of tunnels to get to you know, your device and to get to its destination. And a lot of times those tunnels, you know, being in a different country can kind of be a benefit. If you want to use a streaming service and you know you're on vacation perhaps and you really really wanted to log into your Netflix account, but Netflix in Paris is different than my Netflix in Atlanta, but.
Speaker 5: It doesn't have the same shows.
Speaker 3: So I could very just get on, you know, fire up my VPN and connect to a node in Atlanta and so then it's like I'm in Atlanta and I can just watch my shows. Right, So that's the benefit there. But it also, as you said, can be kind of a pain because it'll put you somewhere where you don't want to be. So that's why when you connect to the VPN, I suggest connecting to one that is close to you. It'll be faster and also it'll more it'll mirror where you are a little bit better, and the sort of thing conditions that you would have if you were just connecting regularly. But if you want to spoof your location, which is what it's called when you're pretending to be in a different place, a VPN is great for that. It makes it very easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like digital money laundering, is what it does. It's just you're you're you're cleaningal and it comes from a different story. You know, I'm in Ohio, but it says I'm in Paris, as you said, and it tricks them. But at the same time, some stuff doesn't work the way you're used to it, and you're like, well, why can't I access this? It's because it thinks you're out of the country and it's a limited access area, so you know, and I guess you could switch it off, but it kind of defeats the purpose as well.
Speaker 11: I said this too.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you, Kim about the security thing. So kind of boring but important, but border Protection Customs, Oh, did I think like they searched almost fifty thousand devices last year.
Speaker 6: And so what are they looking? Do you know what they're looking for there? Who should?
Speaker 2: Because that concerns me, is like, I'm not doing anything wrong, and why is the government looking at my phone? Does the average traveler need to worry about that?
Speaker 3: Well, okay, I want to start with just I don't know if everyone needs to be you know, I don't want to I don't want to panic anyone, right because right now it is still a very small number of people who are being searched, right, but it is happening, and it's important to know that. You know, if you are somebody who is a public figure, if you are a politician or an activist or I mean any of that, or even if you're just somebody who might seem interesting, they can search your phone if they want to, So just be aware of that before you go to the airport, before you try to get back into the country. Just make sure of that. It's very unlikely that it's going to happen if you're an American citizen and you don't have a criminal record or anything like that. Yeah, but if you do, and if you're not an American citizens, and if you also are you know, part of that group that I mentioned earlier, a journalist, you know, there are lots of people who are in that group that might be searched. So if that's the case, I suggest just you know, taking a few precautions before you head to the airport. You know, log out of your accounts, back up your computer, you know, maybe clear your messages, that sort of thing. And you also can go into your settings menu on your phone, you know, if you have iOS or if you're using an Android, and lock.
Speaker 5: Down your device so that then agents can't get.
Speaker 3: In and look through all of your photos and videos and so on and so forth without you.
Speaker 5: Know, your express permission.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also I disable your biometric unlocks too, because they could just hold your phone up to your face or compel you to give your fingerprint as well. They are allowed to do that. All of this is, you know, it's all legal to do, so just feel aware of that. And you know, if your phone gets taken from you at the airport, you can demand a form. I believe it's Form SIXHO three to one D I think is the one.
Speaker 1: You know what I have.
Speaker 11: I have an article about it on Okay Okay, yeah, well it's a government it's not supposed to be memorable, but that's true though that I think most people will realize that customs can search your phone or electronic device at airports and at border crossings.
Speaker 2: They don't need a warrant or suspicion. They just can. And if you say no, you're not going to you're probably subject to more scrutiny. But also they can deny you access, so just keep that in mind.
Speaker 3: Well, well, I want to just say, if you are an American citizen, they cannot deny you back. They can't deny you access back into the country.
Speaker 6: Right, Okay, they can't take.
Speaker 3: Your phone, but they but they still have to let you back into the country. So just be aware of that. They'll they may make it more difficult for you, but you can still get back home.
Speaker 2: Anti virus software. Do you need antivirus soft on a phone?
Speaker 3: Personally, I do not use it, but I think that it wholly depends. I don't think that there's a one size fits all sort of solution for any thing regarding security. I think that it wholly depends on how you are using your devices and what you're using them for. If you are a person who is frequently going to you know, risky websites for whatever reason, when you have to do it for work, maybe that's just the kind of life you're living. Then Yeah, maybe you do need some extra protection on your phone like that, But.
Speaker 2: That's part of my job description tactically.
Speaker 3: Look, whatever anybody gets up to you in their time is that whatever there is no judgment here. There is no judgment here. It is only I'm only saying, hey, just protect yourself, make sure that you know what you're getting into, and also make sure that you are protecting your devices because if they get invected with something, then you might spread it to everything else on your network.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, you know on that Some business people I know just they literally travel with a burner phone for that reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Don't see anything. Honestly, I have started converting to using a dumb phone rather than a smartphone for a lot of things, and I take that with me when I travel most of the time because it's just honestly halfle free. I can still get into my email and stuff like that, but I don't have you know, a million apps on there and a bunch of notifications and things like that. And it's also less likely to be you know, packed, So yeah, that's also helpful.
Speaker 2: I think the other thing too is, you know, we're talking about spring break travel and we're worried about TSA and travel and wait times and gas prices, but no one thinks about security with their device because you're going to maybe foreign places or places out side the state, your informations, compromised public Wi Fi, all that going on. And I was thinking, as you're talking, Kim, is that you know, adults are on top of the stuff, but your kids break they don't care. They don't know where they're going on there, but they don't really have sensitive data. Should they worry more than parents who should worry most about them?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: Kids?
Speaker 3: One thousand percent have sensitive data. A lot of criminals are able to. That's why they hang out in you know, gaming chat rooms and stuff like that. Because your kids are related to you.
Speaker 5: You are the sensitive data that your kids.
Speaker 3: Are sort of the door too.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So you know if your kids has your credit card numbers stored on their phone so that they can buy games, well, guess what happens when their phone gets cloned by a hacker at some point. Now, everybody knows your credit card number, everybody knows everybody who is in their contact list. They have all of their phone numbers, they have all of their photos, right, Yeah, So it's important to talk to your kids. And by talking to your kids, I mean like talking with your kids, not just being like, hey, you need to do this because, right, but talking to yeah, talking to them about hey, this is the reason why you would want to use a password manager. Here's the reason why you would want to not give out our home address to rate the people online.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Just some basic cybersecurity lessons for kids I think is super important, and they don't really get that at school right now. A lot of kids still up in public school, so that's falls on parents to do that work, which is unfortunately not super easy to do because we didn't get those guise of lessons.
Speaker 6: Well, it's important that you have.
Speaker 2: It's important you have the talk with your kids, kimus so because the virus is out there and they can make you really, really sick. Kim Ke is the senior security writer PC mag Or. Stuff is great. She's awesome.
Speaker 6: Kim.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you, love having you on the show. Hope we can have you back again soon.
Speaker 3: Sounds good.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Take care be well.
Speaker 2: Yep, you got a kim Key on the show now, you know, you know, I got to get a news updated on this Friday morning slowly seven hundred w.
Speaker 8: The weekends coming on them and you need to make the most advent where to go and what to do. She has tips and inside to help you make it a super weekend.
Speaker 1: So listen up.
Speaker 8: This is the Local Loop with Allie Martin on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 12: Oh we're back. Hey, we got a voice. B We're back from Seattle.
Speaker 6: Things are good.
Speaker 2: You traveled. If your voice is somehow better, that's usually it's the other way around, yeah, for real, the other way around. So your pickleball lady this weekend, how did your tournament go? You're playing professional pickleball.
Speaker 12: Now, let's talk about it. Let's talk about it good.
Speaker 13: Okay, was the first tournament I've ever played in. We did not meddle, but we did come in fourth.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 13: We were playing right, I mean there's we're playing players who are at that like five zero level, which is right under the pros.
Speaker 12: And I don't mean to too my own horn, but too too. Your girl beat t O Terary Lowan. Really yeah, it was a double, really funny.
Speaker 6: That is funny.
Speaker 12: Our a p P DJ and myself.
Speaker 13: We went up against t O and then his double which his doubles partner was my doubles partner for the tournament. Her name is Brittany, and we won. So I can say that's one for the book.
Speaker 6: Take it.
Speaker 12: Uh great. I mean he's he's such a competitor. I mean, he was having fun.
Speaker 6: He was for sure to win.
Speaker 12: We came back and we won. But what a what a natural athlete.
Speaker 13: And it's been funny watching him transition from football to pickleball and now pickleball is like his life.
Speaker 12: Really yeah, look at his social media, he's all pickaball.
Speaker 6: Wow, that's pretty cool. Awesome. Yeah, you beat t and pickleball. That's the thing.
Speaker 12: I wrote that down in my diary.
Speaker 6: Yeah, why would you not do that?
Speaker 1: You not do that?
Speaker 2: So Allie's here's a local loop of course, find her at Allie Martinate and the Good Drama or YouTube channel. And what to do, what to see, what to eat, what to them, smell, all those things, all the feels, all the everything as we head into this Easter weekend twenty twenty.
Speaker 13: I know, did you hear obviously all food and drink. Did you see some of the April Fools jokes that may have pop up?
Speaker 6: I saw the Lorosa buskin one. It was funny, yo.
Speaker 12: Okay.
Speaker 13: Also, we live in a tie now, We're like these collaborations and these crazy food ideas and combos could totally come to life, right So yes, as you just said, l Rosa's and Busket Bakery, they came out with an April Fools post that was a donut spaghetti sandwich, so a glazed donut spaghetti in between, topped with a meatball, red sauce and parbison and the Commons people.
Speaker 12: There were plenty of.
Speaker 2: People thought who thought it was real.
Speaker 12: I was like what, I I don't know. I could totally see it out of Octoberfest or something.
Speaker 2: H Yeah, spaghetti sandwich is Italian af I mean cold spagetti sandwich and you can actually fry it and it's like a thing that.
Speaker 12: So, I mean, have you got a four?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're good to go. Because Italian student they don't give anything. They don't care less about keto.
Speaker 13: Complete your Do you know how much your glucose levels would spike after eating one of those?
Speaker 6: That doesn't matter And the other.
Speaker 13: One that I came across, which I kind of was like, I would give this a go. Shout out to the quarter beastro over in Mirrymont. They posted a short rib martini and I'm like, I will, Oh my god, I would give it a go quote unquote featuring Gray Goose vodka shaken with her short ribs you and finished with a short rib cube and a mushroom.
Speaker 6: That sounds horrible.
Speaker 2: I would try a meat meat in vodka short martini.
Speaker 6: That would not be good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm telling you it's no, No, would not be wouldn't be good. A little you used to be April Foolsky. I'm glad see people are leaning more to the April, but our social media April fools.
Speaker 6: Gig, it's not real, April Fool. You have to carry execute a plan.
Speaker 12: I had to read the comments because I'm like, is this real? You don't know these days.
Speaker 13: It's funny because we have the craziest food ideas out there, which then leads me to yes, we'll get into some Easter brunch stuff and whatnot. But if you haven't poked your Easter brunch, don't know what to tell you. Milkshakes. I have been in this milkshake ice cream mood. Maybe it's because the weather has been warmer, and also sometimes you just need one.
Speaker 12: Of those crazy, crazy, crazy milkshakes. And Terries.
Speaker 13: I gotta talk about this Terries Grocery and pizzeria. And it's really a gas station out in Lynchburg, Ohio, kind of in you know, it's out there.
Speaker 2: It's about an hour time in this place.
Speaker 5: Yo.
Speaker 12: Let me tell you. Social media is the number one Sanjay.
Speaker 13: Tipped me off. Okay, nice and healthy, you know, talk you about wellness. But it's about an hour east of downtown, not an hour twenty miss. And it's also top of mine because it's a great spot to.
Speaker 12: Ride out to. So if you got a motorcycle, take your bike ride on out there, so.
Speaker 13: Really you're gonna be coming across buggies, horse trun carriages, so buggies and bikes, And like I said, it's a gas station. On the back side of the gas station there's a walk up window and you can order these most elaborate milkshakes. It's basically like you know how Bloody Mary has, yeah, oh my god, overflow, and they do all of these different themes. So, for example, they just released one called the Crazy Lemon. It's a lemon ice cream. It's like rimmed with whipped cream and then yellow sprinkles and it's topped with a legit lemon. They put like lemon pound cake and lemon oreos and then those lemonhead candies. And then they did one for Valentine's Day where it's strawberry chocolate ice cream rim with sprinkles and they put an entire cookie on top one of those heart shaped you know, those like hollow ding dong cakes.
Speaker 12: They put that in there.
Speaker 13: They put actual chocolate covered strawberries, more whipped cream, more piped heart flower designs.
Speaker 12: So it's one. It's one for the gram and you should probably bring a friend.
Speaker 6: With you because you can't eat that much sugar.
Speaker 12: I'm willing to take on the challenge and every.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, lemon pound cake, pound cake and Alcabe.
Speaker 6: Awesome.
Speaker 12: He's actually sponsoring Terry's groceriy Pizza Rea.
Speaker 8: I love that.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, and it's such it's probably it's like Lynchberg, like how many people live there?
Speaker 12: And like I said, it's horse drawn carriage.
Speaker 6: It's amazing that they would have that great.
Speaker 13: It's such an I I did some deep dive researching on you know, in Reddin and Facebook group chats, so many people were rolling up with this and they're constantly coming out with new flavors. They also do like cotton candy. You know, there's a Loni energy drinks. I'm not a big but they're doing floats. They did crazy pumpkin ones in the fall where they're literally put entire slices of pumpkin.
Speaker 12: Pie on top on the milk shake. So now I don't know what it is. I am on this milkshake hunt.
Speaker 2: Some milkshake sounds good. Milkshakes hit every I haven't had one a long time, but bye, they.
Speaker 6: Do thank you hit.
Speaker 12: So then I'm like, where are all the other elaborate milkshakes in this research.
Speaker 2: Need that milkshake be known for something, right, It's like a milksh like that is desperate and.
Speaker 12: It's kid friendly, family friendly, Graham Graham Worthy do it for well.
Speaker 2: It's also you said it's a pizza ria too. How's the pie that's the other actually really cool, solid all right.
Speaker 13: And again it's in the middle of nowhere, like when you're when you when you think you've reached nowhere, go another, keep going it.
Speaker 2: You reach, all right, shout out to if you're in Lynchburg, there you go, all right, I love it.
Speaker 12: There's another spot in Lawrenceburg, Indiana.
Speaker 13: It's called four four Speed on fifties Dine, So it's just your classic diner classic they go. They call it classic food, Classic car Burgers. A really cool spot. But they also do something similar where they have a Marilyn Monroe milkshake. It's a strawberry milkshake and a jar and whipped cream sprinkles, actual strawberry. They do half a strawberry pop tart and then you know those strawberry shortcake ice cream like pop things that are on a stick. The classics, you know what I'm talking about, the classic strawberries they put that on top.
Speaker 12: Of it, really because the milkshake itself.
Speaker 8: Is not enough.
Speaker 6: Marilyn Monroe milk.
Speaker 12: Marilyn Monroe, that's what they call it. And then they have a Crossley eat all that.
Speaker 6: They find you dead in your bed naked.
Speaker 12: Honestly, put a little booze in there.
Speaker 13: You're definitely guaranteed to be sweet under no time or your heart you're gonna have a heart attack. But I'm here for all of this. And then a special shout out to you DF because sometimes their milkshakes just.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you need a milkshake, it's a good go too, right, I'll tell you what. You know, what's really solid is the Mickey D's around Saint Patty's Day.
Speaker 6: Mid one.
Speaker 2: I was somewhere the other night and they had god words that You're gonna kill me because I forgot. I think it was I want to say, I don't want to say it wrong. I think maybe Max Pizza Pub or something. They had They had a Yeah, so they had a it was like a McDonald's mint martini like that, Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yours, and it's either peanut butter and chocolate or mint and chocolate at the same time. But I got to pick and choose.
Speaker 13: That's how whenever U df min chocolate chip, and then you can choose your base. Do you want regular like white milk or do you want chocolate milk in it? And then you can blend whatever you want in it and it just hits the spot.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 2: Easter weekend we have to get everything, of course, you know, Easter buffet. Good luck with that if you haven't booked it ready. But check out the zoo. Weather looks a little if he tomorrow might be the best day to do that. Actually at the zoo, the flowers are out and everything else. Ali Martin at Elie martin Ate and the Good Drama on YouTube follow her. Thanks again, appreciate you. Congrats for beating too. Now get you a milkshake. Home of the Red seven hundred w libt sincenat