Speaker 1: Hey, this week on the we Don't podcast, and you can get that on the iHeartRadio app just search Mojo we Don't. That's the podcast I do with Chelse, my wife, and I get into a conversation that was really like eye opening for me. But after seeing the dms that the listeners have been sending more eye opening about you and it's no friends equals red flag. So Chelse and I started this whole thing off with me singing you got a friend and me, you got a friend, and then it turned out that I don't have a friend with Chelsea's you know that I realized that Chelsea, Chelsea doesn't want to be my friend. Chelsea talked about the hardest time in our relationship was when she and I were together too much and that I was her her friend and she was my only friend. And it's weird because here we are talking about Onlyfrians, but it's only only friend. On the podcast, we talked about the hardest time in our relationship was when we went through a phase where she was my only person and I had her as my friend, my ride or die, you know, but also my every problem, my bad day, my every need. I would go straight to her. And how it cost for a lot of pain in our relationship. Now. I have always felt like I'm a guy that has friends, but I don't have the type of friendships that Chelsea has. Chelsea has like three people in her life that are really her everything friends, Like she can call them up if she's having a struggle with me, and she knows that they are a vault for her. I probably have a couple people too, but I don't necessarily always call them up. You ain't never called me just when you think you know, I'll be honest. You're too close to my wife. Well, alcohol, I'm a still vault. Actually, I would probably think about calling you, but you weren't in my life at this time. You understand that that it's this time that this happened was when Chelsea and I were going through one of our first struggles as a married couple where I would have really bad issues at work. I would go home and right away everything was a negative. Then I would have really bad issues with my family, meaning my brothers and sisters and my dad's relationship, and I would go home and talk to her about that. Then I would have issues with raising the boys, talk to her about that. Then I would have issues in our marriage and I would talk to her about that, and she said, eventually, you got to stop talking to me about everything that you have problems with, and our relationship is not us having a relationship where we are able to enjoy some things, you know. And I was probably going through probably a bad negative time too in my life, like where things weren't going right, and it got me thinking that I do need to find the ride or die friends deep because I have like you have them.
Speaker 2: I have one guys like Brad Yeager, he's your best buddy from when you were in elementary school. The issue is he doesn't live here, so you can't be like, hey, Brad, I need to get away.
Speaker 3: I need to get out of my house for a couple of hours.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, so.
Speaker 3: You do have those pupe. Yeah, those people, they're just not.
Speaker 1: You don't have the person. And Chelsea's got one friend that lives here in town that's her ride or died, and the other two aren't. But she is on the phone with them constantly, Like she talks to them as much as we talk to each other, maybe even more. But it's interesting because I'm gonna throw this out there when I started reading some of the dms on the We Don't podcast. It was all women who listened to the podcast yesterday, and they all felt the same way in their relationship. They were all women, and primarily there's probably more women that listen to We Don't than guys, but we do get a lot of guys out there that said, oh my god, I related to this so much. It's such a struggle. My husband doesn't have a lot of guy friends. And it was wild to how that doesn't have a lot of guy friends puts pressure on their relationships like it did on our relationship. And we talked about the vulnerability of the struggles always of you know, having to be the one person for you and the good thing, and some people say some people actually commented, Hey, I don't think you should share anything about your relationship outside of your relationship. You know, you shouldn't have to. You shouldn't be telling people about, you know, Mojo or Mojo. You shouldn't be telling people about Chelsea. You guys should talk about it with each other or through a therapist. And I disagree with that. I do think that if you have a friend that is not going to judge past the point of you talking like there have been times in Brad's one of them. I've told Brad when I hated Chelsea and when I thought that we should get divorced. He never once said go get a divorce. He just listened to me, and then he gave me advice of, Hey, if you guys go through that, I will still remain friendly with Chelsea. I will not leave Chelsea. And that's I think when you know you have a friend that's your writer or die. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, How do y'all feel about when you had those relationships where people say, I want you to tell me everything. I want to be your best friend. I want to be the person you can bide in if you're going through things. I want you to come talk to me, like, because I feel like there is a space for those people as well. And if you do go tell somebody else something and don't tell your spouse, they're like, well, damn, what am I here for?
Speaker 1: Why didn't you come tell me that?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: I don't never keep things from Chelsea, like I don't never try to keep you know, stuff from her. But I will say this, those people that want you to tell I always wonder what they're reasoning and why they want, like.
Speaker 4: Why can't it be for better or for worse? I'm your everything, You're my everything. We should know everything, saying your spouse that you're with.
Speaker 2: So I had this west and I have had conversations about both of these things just hit so close to home. I feel like I have so much to say about it. But with that keV, I had to explain to him because he was like, I want to I want to be your safe space for everything, and I'm like, I love that about you.
Speaker 3: That is such a good quality.
Speaker 2: However, there are different things that I, as Shannon, need to process with different people. There are things that happened to me that I want to process with my sister. There are things that happen to me that I want to process by myself. There are things that happened to me I want to process with my therapist or with my friends. And then there's a ton that, of course I want to bring to you. But like you, you are not my end all be all. I know that sounds mean, but like I like to, it's just the way I process that I have different people that I feel like could really help in those certain situations. Now after I do if it's something obviously detrimental that relates to me as a person or our relationship, especially of course I'm going to bring it to him, but I may need to process it with somebody else.
Speaker 3: And that was very hard thing for him to hear that. It was very honest.
Speaker 1: Chelsea said the same exact thing, that sometimes you need to have those friends that you process it with so that they can tell you when you're wrong.
Speaker 2: A million percent, which my which my sister and my friends do. And that brings me to, you know, the friend thing where I had to tell him he has his fist of five. He calls it his five best friends. Some one lives here. Most of them live in Canada, where he's from. So he didn't have the somebody here that he could call and just be like, hey, I need to like blow off some steam. Let's go grab a coffee or a drink or whatever. And he and I was that person for him, and it is it is so much pressure. And I was like, you need to have other people that you can process things with.
Speaker 3: It's like that is so much on me. I can't do that.
Speaker 1: And he recently went through a job change too, and I bet you that's a struggle too that yo, And thank.
Speaker 2: God he's so close with his siblings, and he does have great friends he has built he has. I give him a lot of credit because at the beginning of our marriage was a strong We struggled with this so much. He has built a great group of friends now in the past year or two. I'm so thankful he has. And he has his to five in Canada. But like, I think guys are just different with friends too, like women. Hold not to say that you don't have great friends. You have a lot of friends, but women play such an important importance in emphasis on girlfriends and scheduling time with girlfriends.
Speaker 3: Where guys are like, oh, there's a game tonight, we go. We're we're like so intentional with.
Speaker 1: Like we golf and we golf. We don't necessarily talk about our relationships. Or we go to watch a game. We watch the game, right, We don't sit there and yeah, women sit down, man. They open up a bottle.
Speaker 2: Of wine, take girls trips. We have nut girls' nights.
Speaker 1: What's up, Sean, yell.
Speaker 5: What's up? Sake time?
Speaker 6: Long time?
Speaker 1: Yo?
Speaker 5: Anybody I'll the goal man. Hey, I love y'all. Hey Shannon, happy you made it back. Hope you have vacation was good. Thank you. I want to say it. I just wanted to say. You know, I've been in my relationship with my wife for uh we've been together almost fourteen years now, and uh, you know, the communication that we've built up from the foundation of us finding out how we are going to love each other is you know, saying, when we have certain things that we want to talk about, we talk about them as if it's like a third person kind of view, you know what I'm saying. So like, when I have something I need to talk about, I talk to her about it and I say like, hey, I don't want you to say anything back to me about this or you know how you feel about it right now, I just want to get this out. And then after I get it out, then you can give me your feedback or how you feel about it. And that built up a way of how we can communicate to become stronger, because if you don't do that, you don't know how each other feels. And men feel different than you know, saying the way that women feel, and we both have different kinds of things of how we you know, want to approach you know, the way how we feel but uh, it just goes to show, like you know, changing the way that you are to be better for not only for yourself but your partner, it makes you stronger.
Speaker 1: Well and honestly, and that's a great way to handle that in your relationship. I also encourage too with the UH for those that don't have the friends. One of the things that I did was I just found a good therapist that I could go to and really kind of look as a guy friend that can give me the professional advice on things, because sometimes you don't want everything that you come to your spouse with being a Let's try to figure out how to process this thing like I want sometimes just to be able to go, hey, how are you doing, how are we doing? Let's have fun together? What's going on? Melissa?
Speaker 7: Hey everyone, longtime listener.
Speaker 5: Love you guys.
Speaker 1: Love you are your first time caller or you have called before?
Speaker 7: No, no, I love time in and absolutely, you know, it sounds to me like a lot of people are getting in relationships before they actually really know who they are and what they want. And when you know who you are and what you want, you have those conversations and you learn how to communicate with someone and so the topic of the conversation should really never be an issue. And even that, like if you do need to maybe bend to other friends because you're just not sure. If you have a friend that you're worried about judging you, is that really a friend? And again that that goes back to you.
Speaker 4: So a lot of.
Speaker 7: Times it comes down to figure out what you want and learn how to communicate that and then go out and enjoy other people. But you shouldn't be keeping anything from your spouse or even your friends if there's true to you.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this is not about keeping things from your spouse. This is about only going to your spouse and not having the friendships to be able to go and ask, you know, one of your mutual friends, especially somebody that has you know, is married just like you, Hey, how can I deal with something like this and get somebody that's not going to judge you? What's going on? Morgan?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 6: So, I was just gonna say, my husband and I have been married for almost ten years, and I think by developing friendships outside of our marriage, because we've always considered each other our best friends, it has actually helped to take us out of that roommate phase that we've found ourselves in and kind of like rejuvenated making cookies and other aspects of our lives.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it actually rejuvenated your sex life by doing this, you might need some friends.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it was never like bad per se, but I feel like rather than all were just two people living together with kids. Now that you know, I have girls that I can turn to and hang out with outside of my marriage, I feel more like I'm actually with this person and attracted in you know, a sexual manner.
Speaker 1: I actually find that when Chelsea is with her friends and comes home, our relationship is so much better because she is so excited that she was just with all of her friends too. Like I think that there is a level of her friendships fulfill her, not more than I fulfill her, but fulfill her in a totally different way. It's kind of like, you know, going and you know, having a great night with your buddies. You come home and you're like, man, this is who I get to come home to, and I just had a great night, and you get to talk about what you guys did or what you guys talked about.
Speaker 4: Too when they complain about their husbands and yeah, right, that's true.
Speaker 1: He's like, man, I'm so glad I'm married to you, Briana. What's going on? It's Mojoe in the morning.
Speaker 5: Hi, Hi, how are you right?
Speaker 1: Good? What's going on?
Speaker 6: Not much?
Speaker 8: So I was just calling because I actually don't have like any friends or girlfriends, so I can only talk to my spouse about all of my problems and issues. And it's nice and he's super supportive, but I actually kind of hate it because sometimes I just want someone to talk to and to listen to me, and I don't want to be therapized. And that's like what he's always doing because he wants to, you know, be supportive, which is nice, but I definitely wish I had like a girlfriend or a friend to go to to be like, hey, this is my problem, this is my issue. Like what do you what is your opinion or what's your like outside view about it?
Speaker 6: Why?
Speaker 1: Why do you think you don't have friends?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: I literally don't have friends.
Speaker 8: Why because well I did when I was younger, but I'm thirty now and I just I don't know, I don't have friends. It's kind of sad.
Speaker 5: It's a new going to.
Speaker 1: Find some interesting. I talked also about the level of friendships, like you got those that know you from birth, you know, or like your brothers and sisters and stuff like that. You got those that know you from you know, the earliest age of your life, grade school, high school, whatever the deal is. And then you go through college friends. Then you go through your kids that you know, friendships that you have with your kids, you know, growing up, Like there's levels of different friendships Chelsea. Actually, one of the things is some of Chelsea's newest friends are some of her better friends. And I think it's because they know a version of Chelsea that is a healthier version, because she's healthier now. She feels like than she was when she was younger, she was just trying to figure herself out. And I would say.
Speaker 4: Real is an interesting term to use because I don't think it's always like defined properly how you mean it. But like there's the more current or realer version of who you are now, you that will that understands what I'll put up with, what I won't pull up put up with. That me that's more intention you know, me who actually knows who I am and the things I like and the things I dislike. Those people who I'm connected with now, are more so connected to who I am and not who I've been trying to become at earlier points in my life, you know what I mean, when I didn't fully understand what.
Speaker 1: Was Yeah, although I do like to call those earlier friends when I was kind of like a mess, and I like to call them just to get honestly their perspective. Hunt was that really that good? Was that really a good? That good of a situation that you know that we had, like you know what I mean, Like you look back I call those might beat ninety six friends from that from back in that day. Were we really like, you know, do we do the crazy stuff that we always say we did?
Speaker 5: All? Right?
Speaker 1: Listen to that podcast it's that we don't podcast. It's mojo we don't on the iHeart Radio app, or just search more Mojo in the more Mojo podcast