Speaker 1: W all right, once more, we say good morning to Dan Schwartzman from the Bloomberg newsroom in New York City. Danny, how much investment in the US is President Trump going to bring in?
Speaker 2: It sounds like a ton. Well, that's an interesting question, Tom. President Trump has to proclaimed he's brought the US a historic investment boom, drawing pledges he says is going to reach twenty one trillion dollars by the end of the year. Now, the White House's own list of projects, though, falls a bit short of the president's claim. A Bloomberg Economics analysis of those numbers shows the actual investment promises are substantially smaller. So who knows. He likes to proclaim a lot of big numbers. And I guess we'll find out soon enough what the actual number will be.
Speaker 1: I reckon we will. Meanwhile, Ford is still going green.
Speaker 2: Yeah, remember Montreota just said we're not going to left Uker staying hybrid and people laugh at him. Well, guess what good luck buying a hybrid to Toyota. They sell like hotcakes. Now, Ford, though, they're sticking by their green goals despite the political wins, with other automakers rolling back or downplaying their climate efforts. Ford has tightened its supply chain emissions targets and says it remains committed to quote Big Pictures sustainability goals. America's second largest automaker has aimed to be carbon neutral across its vehicles, manufacturing facilities, and supply chains no later than twenty fifty, with a set of interim targets kicking in earlier now. Ford says more than seventy percent of the electricity used in its global manufacturing operations last year was carbon free. I guess it's a good thing, but must be costing them a fortune.
Speaker 3: Tom.
Speaker 1: I think you're probably right on the money there. Speaking of money, our futures today.
Speaker 2: They've now shifted back to red now that Dow and the S and PR let's call it slight me down, so essentially, you know flat. The NAZAC though getting a bit better, but that's now down a tenth of one percent from Bloomberg. Dan Schwartzman on news Radio seven hundred WLW. All right, I eight eleven on the Big One. Welcome to the morning show here on seven hundred double l W. And today we have a special guest with us today, first time on the program the new music director of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. Okay, now I'm going to give this a shot. I'm going to give this a shot. Christian Macho laru am I clothes.
Speaker 1: That's perfect, perfect, Gosh. I feel so much better now. Hey, thanks for taking the time today. You know, you have led orchestras all over the world and now you're coming to our city. So welcome to our city. And how have things gone so far for you?
Speaker 3: Wonderful? Thank you. You know, I discovered not just a world class orchestra, but I believe the Cincinnati. I discovered the city that is so passionate about the arts. It's so passionate about culture, also about being able to create a community that really fosters world class musicians and artists. And I was very impressed, and I'm so happy to be here.
Speaker 1: When you think about the CSO Sound identity, all those kinds of years, the reputation through the years, what qualities would you like to I guess nurture bring forward.
Speaker 3: Well, it's an orchestra that, of course, as you said, has an incredible tradition that is really centered around the wonderful recordings that the entire world knows of the orchestra, and this sound, this really beautiful, cohesive, unified sound that defines the orchestra, is one that I hope to build on and to find ways that we can diversify our styles and to play all genres of music. And I don't just mean, you know, to focus on one small little niche, but the orchestra actually offers so much for everyone, and my goal is to be able to extend this to all the limits available.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting you bring that up because, like a lot of things in life, right, you've got the quote unquote traditionalist with orchestra, right, but you also want to have something a little bit new, a different sort of innovation, if you will. How do you balance those two things? Christian?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, the interesting challenge for an orchestra that performs music by artists and composers that have died, some of them, most of them two hundred years ago, is to find a way you need to keep it fresh and to keep it new, which is why we balance everything that we do, as you mentioned already. But also at the same time, I think we have to understand and acknowledge the fact that all art at one point was new and it was fresh, which is why, like this week, for example, we are pairing our concerts this weekend with a brand new composition written by a composers that is alive and well asa and which focuses on American tradition and American folklore. And at the same time we pair it with an incredible symphony by Athony Voischak, who of course lived in the last part of the nineteenth century and who was so important in defining American sound and American tradmission. So this is really truly how I see it, as a beautiful representation of both keeping in line with the tradition and satisfying that the needs that our audience has, but also challenging ourselves and the audience in discovering the new voices of today.
Speaker 1: You know, I always find it interesting when you talk about symphony Christy Anna, and it kind of you to join us here today. You're always I would imagine, trying to another sort of you know, balancing act. There is how you approach building concerts that feel exciting and accessible for people that have really enjoyed it for a long time, while at the same time, what would you say to those people who are like, you know what, I'm going to give the symphony a try brand new listeners. In other words, I.
Speaker 3: Will encourage them to come to one concert. Don't commit ten concerts. I think, just come to one concert and if you have never been to a symphony call. I think people are more intimidated by what is behind the doors rather than the music itself. Because the music, as soon as they hear it, I can guarantee you they will be able to recognize things that they hear every day. You know, on the street, in the buses and car on the radio. You hear the music that we perform all the time. So I think the courage is to walk through the doors of our incredible music hall and then to see what lies on the other side of the doors. And I think a lot of people will be surprised to discover that it's actually very easy, accessible, normal. It shows beauty. Of course, there is a small ritualistic part entering a concert hall, like you would enter a church or any public buildings. Really, you have to enter the respect and with an understanding that you are part of You know, twenty five hundred people that are attending the concert, But it doesn't require any knowledge other than that. It just requires an open heart and an open mind and open ears. And if you just follow along with what goes on there, I think you will be so pleasantly surprised, and even more importantly, you get to connect with other like minded people that are looking for beauty and are looking for a few moments of peace and tranquility and entertainment and happiness, and we all share the same those same moments.
Speaker 1: Together, all right now, Christian, every conductor, every single one of you guys, has a unique style upon the podium. What are they going to see out of you?
Speaker 3: Well, I people tell me that I'm very energetic on the podium. I like to be involved in the middle of it all. And my concept about being a conductor is that I'm less in charged and more leading, meaning that I have to be, as I tell my conducting students at times, that sometimes you're the quarterback, sometimes you're the coach, but sometimes you're the ball itself, you know, and you have to find a way to really navigate between the different needs that the orchestra has a different seconds in the program. But I tend to be very energetic on the podium and very physical in my in my movements.
Speaker 1: Well, good, we'll look forward to that, you know, just so people get to know you a little bit outside of music. What other I guess hobbies interests keep you kind of grounded.
Speaker 3: I love the Actually, nature is a big passion of mine. I love to be out in nature and to see things. I love traveling and discovering places that speak of people's identities. And I'd really really deeply interested in just finding stories about people. It's something that I've always loved. I come from Dominia myself, and I've traveled the world, and I would say I have learned more about myself by discovering other people then I would have done it if I would have just stayed at home, you know. And I think the beauty in life really truly comes from the people that you meet and the connections that you make. And for me, music is really the language that does that. So it combines both my job and my passion for music with my hobbies of finding more about life. I like to know, I like to understan and things, and they are really intertwined.
Speaker 1: All right, tell me one thing before I let you go. In the short time you've been in Cincinnati, you've enjoyed what the most.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I spent quite a bit of time around the music hall, and also I live in over the Ride, so I just I love walking around. I love the beauty. Uh you know, I'm a big scan of colors, so I love just turning on the street corner and seeing the beautiful architecture with very bright colors. It's something that could a smile on my face. Then the food that I've been discovering, you know, going to different restaurants I make. I have a list that I that it keeps growing of places that I need to see, you know, from the best fight chicken, you know in the gas station, to really the most sophisticated restaurants, and I enjoy it all.
Speaker 1: Well, we are so blessed and lucky to have you. Christian here is the new conductor and head of Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. Welcome to town, and thank you for your time today. It's been a pleasure having you with us.
Speaker 3: Thanks you so much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: This report is sponsored by Loew's Love's Curly Black Friday deals.
Speaker 4: From the Latest Money News, Go Ahead and Tingle Away.
Speaker 2: This is the Boomberg Money Minute on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 5: This is a Boomberg Money Minute shares a cold soaring of the pre market. They've raised their full year outlook for the second straight quarter. It's a sign that CEO of Michael Mender is helping to stabilize performance at the struggling retailer. They now see net sales declining in a range of three and a half to four percent for the full year. That's actually a smaller drop than the projection offered in late August. In Vidio's feeling to heat, their shares dropped, and report that Meta is and talks to spend billions of dollars on Google's AI chips actually erodes invidious position as the gold standard for big tech firms. Alphabet shares rose, the company's on track for a four trillion dollar valuation, and Apple's eliminated dozens of sales roles. Management notified the effected workers over the past couple of weeks. The move is especially notable because revenue at Apple has been growing at the fastest clip in years, and stock's coming off a strong two day rally in the S and P five hundred. I'm John Tucker Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, it is a forty on your Tuesday morning, This rainy Tuesday morning, but here to brighten our spirits brings a smile to our face each and every Tuesday. As our friend Julie Isfording, former United States Olympian and for the final year, the CEO of the Thanksgiving Day Race in downtown Julie, you ran in this thing when you were sick sixteen years old.
Speaker 4: Yes, I have a huge history with this race, and as a runner, it was my favorite race. And then I got the privilege, the gift to be the race director after I retired from running, came back from the Olympics, and it was sort of the next season of my life. And Tom, I think both great things that happened in my life, being in the Olympics, training for the Olympics, and being the race director of the Thanksgiving Day Race for the past twenty five years. I stepped down in June this year, so I'll just be a volunteer this year. Both ethers are so similar in my life. They both challenged me, they changed me, and I poured my heart in. I poured my heart into each of those and I kind of walk away not with a sense of relief. Tom, I thought I'd be so relieved. I don't have to worry about weather and about you know, the police, the medical, the Secret Service. I thought i'd be relieved, but what I feel is like everything, like a sense of greed, a sense of letting go. But I think the feeling I feel most is a sense of gratitude, like thank you for the volunteers for volunteering, the sponsors for sponsoring, the police for policing, my family for participating. So all that made me realize I was just pretty much an orchestra director. I was the lucky one that got to put everyone together on one starting line, in the chaos, in the messy, in the most thankful day of the year, all together and and be part of something that is so much bigger than myself. So it's so weird because I got the family text, you know, for Thanksgiving Day dinner, and I texted back it's like, I'll be there. Well, I've done that in twenty five years, And the whole family is putting little hearts on my text because you know, it'll be nice to sit down at the dinner. But at the same time, they were a part of the race too, they were there with their volunteering or running, so it goes to show you that it's not just a run, it's just something so iconic and so traditional and such a gift in my life that it's no wonder I feel so much. But most of all what I thought, you know, I fell in love with it. To be very honest, I'm in love with this race, but now it's kind of a different kind of love. It's a form of gratitude and just more of a softness. And it's hard to.
Speaker 1: Explain share with us because I was talking about you coming on the program, and you come on every Tuesday for those that don't know, maybe just joining us for the first time. We talk about health, and we talk about gadgets as far as things that are out there, trends that are out there, all that kind of thing. But you know, at the end of the day, life is so much, if not entirely, it's about the people you come across, and in your role with the race, you were so actively involved in not only the planning and execution and so forth, but getting to know some of the stories as you look back, and I know there's thousands of them, but is there anything that just stands out in your mind? Someone, some charity, they were running for relative, family, friend, they were running for anything. Stand out.
Speaker 4: Well there, it's hard to twenty five years. I think some of the really neat things for Cincinnati itself is when we had the hundredth anniversary of the race. That's the year the starting line was so full of people, seventeen thousand people that the starting line we couldn't get everyone over the starting line and the finisher started coming in. So that was one of those miraculous moments. I don't know how we did it where we were able to move people aside get that finisher through, and that became an historical day for Cincinnati on a national scale. I mean, that was on the national news and that made us all proud because that's a sense of community of our city is really really special. Another kind of miracle along the race was the year that a gentleman coded. He had a heart attack on the course, and lucky for us, the ambulance was ten yards away and there was a seventeen year old boy who stopped his race, helped get that ran to the medical got the medical person there, saved their life, and later that day he was at Christ Hospital and had a quadruple bypass and his wife said to me, I went to visit him. His wife said to me, this race saved my husband's wife because he was his arteries were so closed. He could have had a heart attack at the Thanksgiving Day dinner table and he wouldn't have had the help he needed. So that was really cool. The neat people I worked with over the years, I mean I got to work with the Secret Service, squat the police are probably my favorite people to work with because the demands on them. You know, we need at least sixty five people to man that course, you know, and this is this is off time. So for them to show up year after year and just be such a part of it, we always got compliments about them. And of course a special tribute to Western and Southern mister Barrett Keith, a one who truly truly invested in the race and made it what it is today. There's no doubt in my mind that he, I think was the person, you know, my mentor the person I truly looked up to. And then of course the charities, Oh my gosh, the they are Cancer Center keep going, twenty five Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Girls on the run Alzheimer's. These are all local charities. But here's something great about the charities, Tom, they also volunteer. So you know, we had young like doing the water stop. We had keep Going twenty five manning the split where the five k and ten case. We had girls on the run at packet pick up. We had big brothers, big sisters manning the starting line. So you're getting that just is that I was just the girl that kind of put everything together and got everyone to fall in love with the race as much as I did. So that was really you know, that's those are the people. And you notice the more we talk, the more the memories creep up. We used to have packet pick up at the running spot, that old little store and o'brienville. We're twenty five years later now it's in TQL Stadium, So so much has changed about our city and how much better it's gotten, and I think the race has grown with the city. And it's funny how you can sort of sit back and be at peace with what has happened the future of the race and that the race is in really good hands, and that brings me a sense of east and gratitude as well.
Speaker 1: All right, now I'm going to dig into actual race day. I've run this before. I wish I could run it now, but this hip issue I'm having is just not allowing me to do it. So I'm really bummed about it. But for the first timer that's heading down there tomorrow, you know they're nervous, They're wondering about the weather, They're worried about parking. How early should I get there? So if you just had some words of advice for the first time or tomorrow running of this maybe it's their first race of this kind. Ever, what would Olympian Julie Isfording say to them?
Speaker 4: Okay, so we have to go with this beautiful spirit of Thanksgiving, meaning I'm going to have a great time no matter what. So if you go with that, get there an hour early. It would be great if you picked up your pocket today or tomorrow TQL Stadium so you don't have to worry about that. It's going to be cold tomorrow on race day morning, so gloves. I think i'd wear tights, a nice sweatshirt, pin your number on the front of the shirt. Bring a fun person to run with, a family member, a friend, someone you can do it with. Be aware of the chaos. One of the most neat memories you will remember is when they sing the national anthem. You'll be lined up on the start You'll be with all these people and you'll hear the national anthem and the world will be still for one moment, and in that stillness you will be so thankful. You're on your feet with all these people doing what you love to do. You're moving, and it's a beautiful tradition. The second thing you will always remember member is finishing the race. So I highly recommidze.
Speaker 1: Finish line we go, right, yeah, we.
Speaker 4: Do, because I don't think we celebrate enough. Celebrate being on the starting line on the most thankful day of the year, so you're healthy and strong enough to be there, but then celebrating those last youth steps in to that finish line where you say to yourself self, I am outrageously wonderful and put your arms in the air and really smile, because they do take lots of really good pictures of the finish and you want to pretend that the whole thing was so much fun and it was no exercise at all. You don't have to be in a hurry to finish it. And the other thing, for you know, little things like parking. There's plenty of parking down. You need to worry about the little stuff, but don't let it distract you from the big stuff, the fact that you're healthy and strong and part of a Cincinnatis tradition that's lasted for one hundred and sixteen years, making it the old Yeah, it's one of the oldest races in the country. So it's just one of those other proud moments where I feel proud of our city and proud of the police, and proud of the big companies, especially Ohen. iHeartMedia of course, who keep this race alive and thriving and growing. And that's you know, It's it's a certain way to just fall in love with something that it's so much a part of me and it'll always be a part of me. But you can fall in love with something and then you just know when it's time to step aside. So I stepped aside in June. So this year I'll be a volunteer at a water stop for a charity, Young Life, So I'm going to do that, and then I'm also starting a huge project with the Art Museum on health and well being, so I'll still be able to support the city and new ways, and support the race and new ways, and just fall in love in a different way. If there's such a tame, sure there is.
Speaker 1: Well, Julie, for twenty five years, you've done an unbelievable job. You are Cincinnati through and through. So we thank you for your commitment to this race and so many other endeavors. I know we talk every week, we laugh a lot, we joke a lot, but I know I'm speaking for all of us here in the Tri State when we say thank you, And so with that, have an awesome Thanksgiving