Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Basse for Dodger Talking. David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on a five seventy LA Sports. We'll get back to your phone calls in a moment eight sixty six nine eight seven two, five seventy. But we are joined right now, but by one of my favorite people. He has been a key member of Dave Roberts' coaching staff on their way to back to back World Series championships. He is the best third base coach in all of Major League Baseball and that is the one and only pride of Barstow, Dino, Ebel, Dino, thanks a lot for calling in. Hey, you're at a hibernation. Thank you for calling in.
Speaker 2: Hey. Thanks David. Always great talking to you and looking forward to another championship season. Can't wait and getting ready to get to spring training.
Speaker 1: Have you have you worked with any of the players this offseason, Dino, have you seen any of the guys?
Speaker 2: Well, this week started with Kim's in town. Months he's in town, so there's gonna be guys coming in and out of the stadium. So yeah, we guys are coming in and getting work all winter long. Especially in the weight room. But now they're starting to get their routine down, getting some fly balls, ground ball. So it's getting closer to spring training, and that's when guys will start to come in at Dodgers Stadium and start getting prepared for spring training.
Speaker 1: Dino, Before we look forward, let's look back at an incredible World Series. First question is have you watched one of Game six or Game seven all the way through or is there a particular play that you go back to watch the most since you guys won Game seven.
Speaker 2: Well, David, to tell you the truth, with being at home and you know watching you know some highlights, I just I don't go through all all, you know, pitch to pitch, inning, the inning. But the highlights that I just keep going back to is Game six when Key K, you know, throws the ball on the soft you know, Lin's ride to left field and doubling up and Rojas making that great pick. And then Game seven just numerous defensive plays, one on Rojas and then you know the Paez and Kei k and left center and then seeing Yoshi come in and close that game out. So those are the things that just you know, the home run Rojas home run Will Smith in the eleventh goes deep to win it. But just going back to the Philly series, the comebacker and the pitcher throws it away just highlights, you know, parts of each series with the Brewers, you know, the dominant pitching we had in four game series, So show hayes ten punchouts and three home runs. So that's kind of what I usually look at. But what an incredible run, What an incredible series from Game one from Cincinnati to the Game seven in Toronto. Never will forget it, and what an exciting year.
Speaker 1: Two of the guys that you know really well were on the show before Christmas, and that was Mickey Hatcher and Mike Sosha, and you obviously are one of the best third base coaches out there, and you understand the value of ninety feet and each actually taking big leads from third base. They each said that Isaiah Kana Filefa, he should have taken a more aggressive lead, and if he did, we may not be celebrating back to back World Series championships. What did you think about that play? How close was it?
Speaker 2: Well, you're looking back and you know the game of inches, and yeah, if you know, if he gets off a little bit more left handed hitter. The odds are that you know, he's probably not going to hit into a line's ride on the left side of the diamond to double up the runner at third base. But you know, going back in the moment and then the dugout, I'm down there in the uh you know, far into the dugout, watching our defense, and I see the coach, third base coach febulous who's a good third base coach, go over to the line and he draws the line with his foot, So it's on it's on the it's on the video where you know, this is what can't blame the For me, you can't blame the player. This is what they hit. They teach in the organization. So Febulist goes down, draws the line, and then you know, the runner goes and puts his right foot on the line and doesn't move, which was as shortly they were worried about getting doubled up or back door by the catcher with a left handed batter. So uh, you know, I know everybody goes back and looks at the player and says, well, he should have got a little bit more. But for me, this is what Toronto teaches this is what the third base coach put, you know, the line in the in the dirt, and the player did exactly what he was supposed to do. Now going back, yeah, now we don't do that. We're a little bit more aggressive. You know. It's uh, you know, you get off. You know, I try to teach pitch to pitch. Now I look to see where the third basement is. And if you do take a shorter primary lead, then we got to get a better secondary lead. But if you get a bigger lead, then you got to cut down on the secondary lead. So one or the other what we do. That's what we would have done in that moment. But you can't blame the player. He did exactly what he was supposed to do with the organization teaches.
Speaker 1: Another key play in game seven was when Andy po Haz was fresh into the game. After that play and you know, you talk about being at the far end of the dugout, My understanding is that's where Paes was with his hoodie on when Dave Roberts said, go into the game for Tommy Edmand. Can you take us through what you saw on how how it transpired where Pahes was into the game and he he has that collision with Key Gange catches the ball right.
Speaker 2: He's down there, down there by me. He's you know, watching the game where everybody's standing up on here. You know, the game is on the line. And then you know his name is called, so Danny Lehman, the bench coach, runs over and tell Pa has grabs his glove and then you know they call time out and boom, there he goes, which you know, he's running out to the center field and in the moment, you know, I look at Edmund who's coming in from center field. He thinks we're going to run a five man infield. You know, he's he's looking at me like, where's my glove? And then I look down at the end of the bench and Bob Garrin. You know, it's signaling to me that hey, he's out of the game. So I tell Tommy that you're done. So he comes in the dugout and now you know it's we're not going to the five man infield. They decided not to, and you know we got the chopper. That's when you know Varshow chops the ball to Rojats. He makes the plate to play. But we had all the infielders in. But in that moment, yes, it was just you know, Dave thought, let's put in our best center fielder with the best arm, give us a chance. If it is hitting the outfield, we're in shallow, so that in that situation, they've got to go over our head to beat us. Some type of lines drive, shallow fly ball. We can have a plate to play. So yeah, that's that's looking back, that's living the moment. That's what happened, all right.
Speaker 1: Dino Ebel, the Dodgers third base coach, nobody has a better view of home runs than you do, and an experience of high fiving these guys every time they hit one. Take us through what you saw when Miguel Rojas tied the game when you were down to your final two outs, and what was it like congratulating him when he rounded third base?
Speaker 2: Oh man, that was just what a thrill. You know, I've been in some big moments, some big games where you know, last year, thirty three men Game one hits the Grand Slam, which we'll never forget that. But you know you're down, you're down to two outs and it's a three to two count. You know it's one out and You're just hoping that he can put the ball in play. You got show Hey on deck, you get a guy on so you know, maybe show Hey can hit a two run homer, you know, to put you ahead. But you know, the count goes to three and two, and you know, all I'm thinking out there is just come on, Rojas. He's a contact guy. I felt he was not going to you know, strike out. I knew, like you know what, anything around the plate, he's going to put a good swing on it. But when he hit it, my hand went straight up. I knew it was gone. Soon as he hit hit. You know, the sound of the bat, I look up and you know it acts just it went quiet, and just it was so quiet that when that ball went over the fence, I turned around. I mean, it's just pure chills, you know, in my body, and I see I see like our family section behind our dugout just going crazy. And that was the only thing I heard was our family section. So in the moment, it wasn't like a Dodger Stadium, you know, home run, because we're on the road, but it felt like it because of the crowd that was behind our dugouts, mainly all family section, but him coming around third base was probably the best feeling I had, just because he tied the game, giving us a chance to go into extra innings, and I felt we had a great chance winning if we went to extra innings on that one.
Speaker 1: With how quiet it was at Rogers Center after Rojas tied the game in the ninth inning, Dino, when he was coming around third base, could you hear his cleats come off the dirt? Was it that quiet that you could hear that?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah it was. He was, you know, yelling, you know, like you know, yeah, come on and let's go. And I looked over at our dugout and it's like, this is you know, everybody's out, you know, in front of that dugout, and just the emotion of playing baseball and having fun, and you know, you look back as a kid and it didn't matter. You're in Game seven. He ties it up with a home run with you know, one out in the ninth inning, you're on the road, and it's just pure excitement. That momentum just shipped it on our side, and they knew it. You know, you saw the look on Hoffman's face. I looked at him, I looked at their dougout. It was like they couldn't believe what happened. And all we heard, all I heard at third base was our family section and our dougout going crazy. So that was what that's living the moment, what I went through in that in that in that period.
Speaker 1: Of time, that's amazing. Deno Ebel, Dodgers third base coach, back to back World Series champion third base coach, is our guest. Was it similar when Will Smith hit his go ahead home run in the eleventh inning? Do you know similar experience with only hearing the family section?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, and you know Will, I mean, when he hits them, it was a no doubter or it was high. Uh, you know, I as soon as he hits it, I know it's gone. And I looked to our dougout. Everybody's jumping up over the railing there and they're coming out that dugout and I see Will. And when Will comes around, he's one of those guys that's got like super super strength that he doesn't you know, doesn't really realize, but his his adrenaline emotion. When he hit my hand, I thought, there goes my right fingers and just he crushed him so so hard I said, you know what, I didn't even feel it. But afterwards I told Will I said, man, you came close to breaking my whole hand, but you know what, I didn't care. And I just I love the moment and just just pure excitement is just you know, here in our crowd here and seeing our dougout going crazy is uh, you know, that's what we play for. And then went in at on that double play. I'll never forget it. So that's uh. It was a what a what a game seven?
Speaker 1: What a World series? The Dodgers celebrating back to back World Series championships looking for a three Pete and dinu Ebel is a big part of Dave Roberts' coaching staff now, Dino. Uh, everybody was a little surprised that the Dodgers were able to pull off signing Kyle Tucker. Did you have any hint that you were closing in on Kyle Tucker? And how much more improved is your outfield going to be with Tucker and right taoscar and left Dan pa has in center.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you never, you know, you hear stuff, you know, like in the media, and you you know, you hear Andrew and Brendan Gomes saying that we're always open to you know, getting better. So you know, there was a rumor out there that we were looking for an outfielder. You know, we lost, we're losing a comforto. So you know there's call and there's you know, you know you have call there and you got you know, some guys who can platoon out there. But I just in the back of my mind, I felt like Andrew and Brandon Gomes and our ownership was going to do something very special. And you know, the Tucker got out there, and you know, I'm thinking, I'm not going to get excited until you know, you've been in this game long enough to where you hear all these rumors and whispers and you know things can fall in the last second. But what an exciting moment when I found out before they announced it that we came to an agreement with Kyle Tucker. Now I had him in the WBC. What a great player. He's gonna Dodger fans are going to fall in love with this guy. He puts the ball in play, he's got power, He's a plus southfield or plus arm. So I think I saw I haven't talked to Dave yet, you know, probably this week sometime we always get together before spring training. But he made the comment that Pale is probably going to move over to left and Tucker and right. But our outfield now is it's going to be really good Kyle. Kyle's going to really help us try to repeat this thing. And what an explosive bat that you're going to add into that lineup. And we're deep all the way from one to nine. So I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Since you're the only guy on the team that has been around him, since you are part of Mark Durosa's coaching staff as well. What type of guy is Kyle Tucker. I know he's not a raw rod type of guy, but do you believe he does have the enthusiasm to grind out a season with the Dodgers?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent? This guy, he's a winner. He wants to win. That's why one of the reasons he chose to come to the Dodgers because he wants to win another World Series. So he's quiet, you don't know he's in the room. But those are the guys kind of reminds me like Mannarism type guy like Chris Taylor. When Chris Taylor talks, everybody listens, and uh, he just goes about his business. He's gonna be ready to play every day, every game, every inning. This is who he is. So you know that he'll uh he'll come into that clubhouse and there's some leadership in there. He'll add leadership to the to that clubhouse too. Because he's been in a championship game and he's got a ring. So I think he's gonna be a great addition to this club. And uh, he's he's gonna go about his business and and our club is great. You know, they're gonna they're gonna get along fine, and he's gonna be uh, you know, a big help for us when in uh you know this, uh this year's World Series once once we get started, so much to.
Speaker 1: Tap the brain of Dino Ebel for I mean, man, you talk about a lifetime of experience. How about just the last year. What an incredible ride for Dino. And you're gonna be back with Team USA and the World Baseball Classic again. How about uh, your old buddy Clayton Kershaw. He's gonna be joining the team this year. Uh what uh what effect is he going to have on Team USA?
Speaker 2: Uh? It's gonna be huge, you know, to have a guy like Clayton, and uh, you know, he goes out as back to back World Series champion and now he gets to put that USA jersey on, and you know the goal is to win a gold medal. So, uh, he's gonna add a lot to our pitching staff. Again, Mark de ros is managing how he uses him, I don't know. You know, we all get together on March first. We'll have five days of practice in Arizona and then we head to Houston. But uh, if I'm a pitcher on that pitching staff, man, I'm gonna be all ears and be asking, you know, a ton of questions to a first ballot Hall of Famer. So I can't wait till when they announce his name. I'm sure he's going to be excited. When I heard when Mark Durosa called us and Tota said Kershaw's joining us, man, I got the chills. And I can't wait to see Clayton. I know he's ready for this moment and help us win a gold medal. So looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: So are we. It'll be great to see twenty two with the stars and stripes on his jersey. Do you know, before I let you go, you already have been at Camel Back Ranch. You were there for the Adult Fantasy camp with a lot of the members of the eighty eight Dodgers. What was that experience like again with seeing so many guys that you've known for so long.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's always fun. You know. You go there for five days and all you do is you talk baseball, You bring up you hear stories that you know I first signed in nineteen eighty eight, and I'm here in Sacks, Mickey Hatcher, Mike Sosha, and Kenny Lando and Steve Garvey and just Billy Russell, just name after name guys, and you know they're just talking baseball and you're hearing, you're learning every day. I asked baseball questions to those guys. You know, they've managed in the big leagues, Rick Dempsey and I just it's always a thrill for me to be there for five days, and it's a blast to be with the campers and to be a Dodger and good. It's just a thing that I never say no to love going to them. But I was there four days earlier for Camp Blake Snell and he put on a great camp for the thirteen, fourteen, and fifteen you at Camelback. He's got something really good going with the young youth in the generation of today's game. So it was a good ten days for me in Arizona. Now I'm home now I'm looking forward to get back on February eleven, get on the field on the twelfth.
Speaker 1: Can't wait to see ninety one back in that third base coaching box this year. Din know, thanks a lot for the time. Great catching up with you, and you are invaluable. The Dodgers are very lucky to have you back in the organization because you are a wealth of knowledge and certainly a great person as well. So thank you for the time and can't wait to see you out there.
Speaker 2: Thanks David, always a pleasure talking baseball with you. Go Dodgers. Can't wait to get it going.
Speaker 1: Go Dodgers, no doubt. Deno Ebel part of Tommy Lasorda's coaching tree. He learned from the best, not only Tommy, but also Joe Amalfitano. So certainly Dave Roberts Andrew Freeman picked a great one to be the third base coach, and it was awesome to hear his experience being in the coaching box, Third base coaching box when Miguel Rojas hit his game tying home run and what it was like for him being on the field and hearing only the family section behind the dugout at a very quiet Rogers Center