Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on a M five to seventy LA Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio while.
Speaker 2: The longest running afternoon sports show in the city.
Speaker 3: No congratulations necessary. All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is petros In Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros Papadacres terrible person, He's the worst, and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 3: The pipes, the pipes, the pie. Don't miss an episode.
Speaker 2: We're with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, follow the petros In Money Show wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Patrose, Papadacus and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 3: I don't crack. He's the under pressure puss.
Speaker 4: Puss puss every damn night.
Speaker 2: Look at him.
Speaker 3: He's crazy.
Speaker 2: That's that's not cool.
Speaker 3: That's a fun question. Bro To talk to ms A? What to talk to ms A? What you see the marks?
Speaker 2: It couldn't be anything else.
Speaker 5: Back Yello.
Speaker 3: Let's you are on Earth. There is no cure for that.
Speaker 2: Dawn me Ubs, petro Say Money, AM five to seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio. AP already give away one hundred dollar BJ's Restaurant and brew House gift cards. Still an opportunity for you, though, to get your big game party squared away with some takeout, wings, pizza, apps, the whole spread. Order right now for the big Game from our friends at BJ's Restaurant and brew House. And you can listen while you go to pick that up to the game right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports, your home exclusive home of Super Bowl sixty.
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 2: Patriots versus pay versus Seahawks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Patriots versus Patriots. Everybody loves America. Everybody all right? Man, It is time brought to you by our friends at Concordia University, Irvine Masters in Coaching Program. It is a great program if you want to be an administrator or a coach. And these are meaningful jobs. They impact people for the rest of their lives. Learn how to do it better at CUI dot edu slash coach. It's fun effect.
Speaker 1: It's the yeah.
Speaker 2: Three fun facts. Well we just mentioned it with the Bjay's Restaurant and brew House. We have a food holiday super Bowl food holiday fun fact a few of them here. The Super Bowl is the second largest food holiday in the US. Only Thanksgiving has higher purchasing rates at grocery stores and restaurants. One in seven Americans order takeout on Super Bowl Sunday. The National Chicken Council, Yes, there is a National Chicken Council, the NCC, or the Chico as they like to call it. You know, CHC.
Speaker 3: It's all those cows from Chick fil A.
Speaker 2: They say, we eat one point two five billion with a B chicken wings on Super Bowl Sunday. It is the largest pizza purchasing day of the year. Twelve and a half million pizzas are ordered. It is the second biggest and this one surprised me grilling day of the year. They say, fourteen That doesn't seem right. Billion burgers are grilled.
Speaker 3: Eh.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna throw that one aside. Uh, fourteen thousand, I mean that one seems like eh, fourteen five hundred tons of chips, four million pounds of pretzels, three point eight million pounds of popcorn, two and a half million pounds of nuts, and what do we wash it down with? Three hundred and twenty five million gallons of beer?
Speaker 3: Dry? January's over, hurright over. Time for quick hits, Toms, quick hits, I make a quick y'all Dodgers, pitchers and catchers report to camel Back a week from today. We talked to David Vasse and the last segment. The first spring training game here on A five seventy is Saturday, February twenty first. Today, the Dodgers made some roster moves. They claimed Ben Rortvett and his thighs off of waivers from the Reds, bringing back the catcher to the Dodgers. They also dfad Anthony Bonda, who has to go back to San Antonio with the Bonda brothers and work the farm again after we talked to him during the inside of the locker room, a favorite too many women here in Los Angeles. I guess they're hoping he sneaks through waivers and they can resign him. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Seemed to be the what David Vessay was pedaling at one point six million for that lefty might be a little bit of a steep price tag for other teams, not the Dodgers, that he'll clear waivers and very well could be back and maybe ready for another inside the locker room with petros and money, nobody more excited to suck back some modellos to Anthony Bonda when he was with.
Speaker 3: US super Bowl sixty is Sunday and Santa Clara Seah are a one four and a half point favorite. Kickoff is at three point thirty Pacific time, right after the Clipper game and former come.
Speaker 2: That's how everybody've used the Super Bowl, by the way, Yeah, well usually where is the Clipper game? And then wears kickoff so we can set my schedule.
Speaker 3: It's like Chinese food on Christmas for Jewish people. It's just people do it. Super Bowl sixty is going to be played, but the former Commander's offensive coordinator, Cliff Kingsbury, is joining the coaching staff of the LA Rams. Cliff Kingsbury Commander's OC the last two years. Before that, he was the head coach of the Cardinals for four years. What's he going to do for the Rams? Maybe call their plays so McVeigh doesn't have to do it.
Speaker 2: It's gonna look so good.
Speaker 3: Not gonna look better than McVeigh might be taller.
Speaker 2: Well, they lost their OC, Mike Lafleur to Arizona. They hired him as their head coach. A lot of people thought, they're I think Nate Shield is either their passing game coordinator or their quarterbacks coach. Would be elevated to OC. But maybe this is Kingsbury coming in to replace Lafleur as the OC and then get into that head coaching cycle next year.
Speaker 3: There were three voters that turned the NFL MVP race upside down. Of the three first place votes that did not go to Stafford or May, two of them went to Josh Allen and won to Justin Herbert, And the guy made a dogger turnover howitzerr comparison to Matt Stafford if he had an NO line that was half as bad as Herbert's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sam Monson outed himself on Twitter and Instagram as the day No as the loan Justin Herbert vote and said that he made the vote for Herbert because he played behind the worst offensive line in the league and yet guided him to eleven wins. And Yeah, that probably wasn't a good idea, took a lot of incoming. It's a big deal because it is the closest MVP vote we have had, and if one of those three votes had gone to Drake May, he would have won. I think what the Patriot fans that are all freaking out and upset about are, well, who's to say that those three wouldn't have just gone to Matthew Stafford instead of Drake May. Perhaps Josh faked out justin Herbert votes wouldn't have gone to May, but would have gone to Stafford, and then it just would have been a wider margin that he would have won by.
Speaker 3: I'm day for May. Here he is Matt Stafford on the victory.
Speaker 5: I'm so happy to be able to teach the blessings and those lessons of this game to you guys through you guys. You're unbelievable cheerleaders for me.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy before.
Speaker 5: To have you at the games on the sideline with me, and I can't wait for you to cheer me on next year when we're out there kicking ass and.
Speaker 2: Oh that to enough.
Speaker 3: So I'll see you guys next year.
Speaker 5: Hopefully I'm not at this event and we're getting ready for another game and so far so I appreciate.
Speaker 2: You guys, Thank you very much. Cut to McVay, Cut to McVay, Nickveay just going like pulling on a vape and going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, ferdy men. Doz is the number one pick of the upcoming NFL Draft. Everybody knows it. He was on AMI seventy earlier today with Colin Cowherd. Here he is talking about who he looked up to growing up and models his game.
Speaker 6: After say, there's a lot of guys for me throughout my entire childhood. And then when I started getting to high school on the college level and I actually learned how to study tape and really extracting things from their game to put into my game. As a child, I was always a huge Tom Brady fan. I read a TV twelve book. I was always big on the preparation because like Tom, I'm not the biggest, I'm not the fastest, I'm not the strongest, but the edge is in the intellect and preparation. So I really appreciate him preaching that message.
Speaker 3: From a young age.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and what's really important about being quarterback's being cerebral, knowing where to go to the ball, knowing your checks and all that different you know, all those different external factors you don't think about when you just think.
Speaker 3: About arm, talent and footwork.
Speaker 6: And then this past year our quarterback coach Chan Weber, who's now the quarterback coach for the Bucks with Baker right now, he made me watch every single clip of Sam Darnold from the past year, and Matthew Stafford has made a little bit of a similar system as we did in Indiana for some of the play action games, not the RPL before the play action games, and for the dropback game. And it was great to see their footwork and really how they processed the game, and it helped me learn a lot about the NFL game because you always see.
Speaker 3: The highlights, but it was really interesting to see how.
Speaker 6: They dealt with plays that didn't go their way when it needed to throw the ball away or they needed to check it down, and I think that really helped my efficiency this year.
Speaker 3: Well, the Clippers are the ninth seed in the West, matt and they're unrecognizable. They're in Sacramento tonight.
Speaker 2: They are not going to be the ninth seed in the West for long after all of those trades. However, the teams behind them are absolute garbage as well. I would assume the nine and ten seeds very well could end up being the Clippers. You've got the Kings, the Pelicans, they've got forty losses, the Jazz have thirty six, the Mavericks, who of course just traded away Anthony Davis even though he barely played thirty two losses. The Grizzlies twenty nine, Blazers twenty eight, Clippers twenty seven, and the Clippers and Blazers are in the postseason right now despite being five and four games under five hundred, So maybe they do hang around. What a disaster it is?
Speaker 3: Well, which one is it? Matt? You said they weren't going to be there, and that all of a sudden you convince yourself out of the otherwise.
Speaker 2: It was one of those things where right when I said it, I was like, oh, wait, who's behind him? And then you look and it's like, Yeah, the Grizzlies traded away their team, The Mavericks traded away their team, The Jazz traded away all that they did get Jaron Jackson. So maybe they can make a little bit of.
Speaker 3: A rest time. Get your way through it, Matt.
Speaker 2: I'm working through this year.
Speaker 3: The Lakers are thirty one to nineteen. We'll talk to Alan Sleiewab about them, next fifth seed in the West. They're home tonight tomorrow night versus the Golden State Voyeurs.
Speaker 2: The Lakers can win it.
Speaker 3: No one said they couldn't. They probably aren't going to win the whole thing.
Speaker 2: As long as Lebron's not touching the ball, they can win it.
Speaker 3: Minus is what I heard. Yeah the minus five.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Minustenzel, sit down. Don't hug players during the game, you idiot.
Speaker 3: Rose bull, Matt. They took it to the UCLA guys in court.
Speaker 2: Yeah they did. LA Superior Court judge denied UCLA's bid to move their legal dispute to arbitration. Proceeding will continue in an open court move to a favorable venue for the Rose Bowl in the city of Pasadena. The UCLA issued statement read that they are disappointed with the ruling as it will significantly delay the resolution of the case. Quote, we remain committed to working a constructive in a constructive fashion to resolve this matter in a way that benefits all parties. I think the Rose Bowl believes it benefits them if UCLA continues to honor their lease for the next twenty years and play in the Rose Bowl, something you CLA does not want to do starting this upcoming season. All right, And to amateur hockey, this one pretty much sucks but has a happy ending. It sucked that Gavin McKenna had to go through it, but at least the court's recognized what a douche this guy was that took on the likely number one overall pick in the upcoming NHL draft. Hockey player at Penn State, Gavin McKenna is dealing with some drunk inside of a club who's calling his mom names. He plays it cool. They take the guy outside and say you're not allowed to be here, get lost bub and he waits for McKenna to come out of the bar. Like an hour later, McKenna rolls out. He gets in his face again. McKenna drops him, and the guy ends up filing assault charges. So they said it could have come with up to twenty years in jail because he beat the guy's face in pretty good, but thankfully it was instead determined to be self defense and all charges were dropped. I would assume the guy is probably going to try to take a civil route, which is unfortunate for the young man, but hopefully this is the beginning of the end.
Speaker 3: There'll be no lawyers that take that case, No.
Speaker 2: None at all, not for a guy that's gonna get a guaranteed ten or twelve million bucks in a couple months.
Speaker 3: Speaking of lay law breaking news, this afternoon from an La Federal Courthouse. Former Dodger star Yasiel Puig was found guilty by the Federal Jewelry of obstruction of justice for line to federal agents in an illegal sports gambling probe. According to the GODA DOJ, Puig lied repeatedly during a twenty twenty two interview about his bets with an illegal book making operation, denying knowledge of key figures and fabricating stories about a two hundred thousand dollars payment. Evidence showed he racked up nearly a million in unpaid losses. No Puigue often placing wagers from ballparks.
Speaker 2: No seems like a bad idea.
Speaker 3: Arding to prosecutors, Quigue faces a statutory maximum sends him ten years in federal prison for the obstruction of justice charge and an additional five years in prison for the false statement charge. He will remain free on his own personal recognissance until the hearing. Prosecutors say, aye, guy, Yeah, that one hurts. You know, all these guys that go on Petrosen money, they end up having hard times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably shouldn't come on our show. We hopefully there is. Well, I guess Mickey Rojas already had his insurance claim denied, so we can't play in the World Baseball Classic, which is very upset about. But that was before he came on with us.
Speaker 3: Something's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Probably.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back with Alan Sliewah and the latest on the Lakers. Petroson Money on a frog Man Friday headed the Super Bowl Sunday. We're running all the games on the station.
Speaker 2: Petro some money. Hey, I'm five seventy ELA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app making our way towards six o'clock. We got Clippers basketball tonight. They'll tip it off against the Kings up in Sacramento at seven. We will also have Clippers basketball on Sunday, but thankfully it will not get in the way of Super Bowl sixty. We are your exclusive home of Super Bowl sixty. Patriots Seahawks kickoff at three thirty pm this Sunday, and you'll hear that right here on AM five to seven ALA Sports after Clippers Timberwolves.
Speaker 3: Despite rumors about lebron despite everything going on, the Lakers seem to be holding serve in the world of the NBA. Oops Talk on YouTube Live Monday through Friday at eight am. You can get that on the iHeartRadio app at Alan Sleiwak on x hot Laker takes and information ready made for you courtesy of our friends and colleague Alan Sliwa on Your Southern California tell you to neither celebrity hotline. Lakers beat the Sixers last night. What's cracking?
Speaker 2: Alan?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 4: I'm doing good?
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you guys having me on.
Speaker 3: How are you guys? We're great? Are all the Lakers troubles over now? Now that Austin Reeves has returned?
Speaker 4: That's it? No, nothing to worry about. Everything's overs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that's it. Nothing to worry about. This a cure all.
Speaker 4: Well, I look for one game. It's kind of kind of crazy that every time somebody gets into Lebron gets Lebron gets healthy, and then Austin Reeves goes out. Reeves gets healthy, and now Luca goes out, So they don't seem to have a way to get everybody playing together. But obviously nice to have Reeves back yesterday and what do you have thirty five and just twenty five minutes to play? It doesn't answer everything, it doesn't solve every problem, but obviously great for the Lakers to have him back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I guess the question, Alan is, how do you suspect this thing looks in the playoffs?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: Because, like you said, I mean the guy barely plays, he comes off the bench, plays twenty something minutes. He's the best player on the court. It's not even close. Lebron was a turnover machine. Luca obviously had some issues, only played the sixteen minutes with the injury scare. But he's shooting thirty percent. Is like, where does Reeves fit in? You know, in the crunch time moments? Is he if he's open, it's his? Is it? Hey, let's see what Luca's got, Then it's you, is it? Let's see what Luca's got, then what Lebron got? Then it's you? Like, how do you suspect this thing works come April?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think it's Honestly, I don't know if anybody knows and money the way you just explained it. If it's let's all take turns, then it's going to be a quick playoff run because this is not going to work. I mean, it's the most predictable basketballo ball or you know what, he's super talented, let him just create. Well, he's really good as well. He can go get his own shot, let him create. I think the best version is there has to be, and I don't think it's in not necessarily, it's not in their DNA. But Luca does need the ball, Reeves does need the ball, and I don't think that's the best form of basketball, and certainly in the playoffs when things slow down, that ball does need to be moving, and it is. It has to. You can't be so predictable the way the Lakers are. But I don't know if there's an answer to your question. I think the way they look at this team right now, they are going to probably try to outscore teams or Luca and Austin Reeves are so good at drawing fouls and they can get to the free throw line and they could kind of slow down the game. I think that's going to be part of the strategy. But to win a seven game set against some of these other teams, specifically, if I just say the Spurs, the Thunder, maybe you want to put Denver into that category. I don't think that's going.
Speaker 3: To be enough.
Speaker 4: Great individual talent, but I don't think all those pieces obviously fit together.
Speaker 2: All right, let's let's get you. Let's get you on the record here, sliwah. It is a playoff game, and there's ten seconds left and the Lakers are down one. Give us the order. Who do you want taking the shot?
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 2: Two, three? What's the order?
Speaker 4: I go Luca.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: After Luca, come on, come on, baby, give it to me.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, here's I don't. I don't hesitate on the Luca one. And then I kind of have some hesitation of who's after that? Mmm, I think I I do this.
Speaker 3: It's a tough one here.
Speaker 4: Do I go Lebron because it's Lebron? Or do I go Austin Reeves because this man is an All Star this year based off of you know what he's done in these short amount of games, right, I think, guys, I think I'm gonna disappoint you. I think I leaned towards Lebron the option.
Speaker 2: Okay, hey, yeah, you worked there, well, you've worked the way through well, you worked your way through it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did say, Tad not too. Let's sleep. Why is our guest. We're talking about the Lakers, which is his expertise. We might ask him about the blow up of the Clippers though, as we go on here, how big of a deal is Canard and kind of a late late uh, sort of a late ad where people have been talking about how they need a really good three point shooter for many years now.
Speaker 4: I think it's a good move based off of the Lakers, kind of their predicament, their situation. I think the Lakers did something at the trade deadline that we're not overly accustomed to. I think they're playing the long game, and that's not usually the Lakers. It's kind of there's a little bit of panic and do something just to do something. You got a first rounder, get rid of it. It's like the buddy that's got some cash in his pocket, He's like, I got to get rid of it. That's kind of been the Lakers. I think Canards specifically, he will help.
Speaker 3: Him this season.
Speaker 4: And I don't want to be I'm not trying to destroy Gabe Vincent here, but honestly, what has he done for three years for the Lakers. He really hasn't done anything, and some of that is not his fault. He does some bad luck with some of the injuries. But this guy was coming off a great playoff run with the Miami Heat. Got to the NBA Finals. Everyone got excited that the Lakers signed him, and every two weeks he was cashing a check and I'm looking around him like, yeah, but what did he do? So I don't think you lose anything with Gabe Vincent. With Luke Canard, he's a real three point shooter like the Lakers have had. I don't know how long it's been where you actually look at the roster and say, yeah, that's one of the best shooters in the league. And that's what Luke Canard is. Is he going to be the difference of the Lakers now being able to beat Denver or beat you know, Okase or san Antonio. I don't think so, but I think there's a need for him. So based off of the resources wanting to keep the first rounder, what it would cost to go get a three and D player, Lakers didn't have the resource to do that. That's that's a good addition, but I don't think it's going to change the entire scope of things.
Speaker 2: Slee, What what the hell happened to Dalton connect? You know, he slips to their pick just outside the lottery. Everybody's excited. He has a couple pops there earlies. I think he damned there at a forty point game at one point, How did it like it gets so sideways with him where they've been trying to ship him off for a while, and he barely you know, gets any run anymore. It's a couple of minutes here there. He doesn't even.
Speaker 4: Play, Yeah, unfortunately, And I wish he got traded. And I don't even say that because I don't like Dalton Connect. I just wish he got traded for himself, Like it feels like he needs to be somewhere else and he's still so young. Obviously, if he gets another opportunity at another place, maybe the environment changes everything but money. I think I think what happened more than anything else is he looked like he started losing confidence in himself, and then the coaching staff definitely lost confidence in Dalton Connect and that combination. Now you're kind of you got this very very small window when you got it. When you get an opportunity, you better deliver. And I think you could tell that's in his it's in his DNA now, like yeah, I don't hit this shot, or I don't hit a couple of shots in a row, He's not going to be known for his defense as well. Well, then what's his value? You better hit jumpers. You kind of got to be that guy that can spread the floor. Guys worry about you got to score out here. And he was, I mean, he was doing more than just hitting threes early in his career. Last year, he was also taking the ball to basket. He was very confident, had some swagger to him. He lost all of that, and and frankly, I'm sure in you know a lot of these sports. Yes, sometimes it has to do with your talent. The other time just has to do with what's your confidence level when you're in I feel like he lost his confidence, and then I feel like the coaching staffs lost their confidence in him. And now this is why he ends up riding the pint as much as he does.
Speaker 3: You know, with all the reports that this is it, this is the last year Lebron and the Lakers are going to part ways, does that affect I mean, not that anybody was really thinking about the future too much. I guess we weren't. But does that affect the team as a whole or any of that drama or when it's popped up. I don't think we've talked about to you. Since a lot of it has.
Speaker 4: Happened, Yeah, I don't know how much it does anymore. And to be honest with you, I think there the feeling around the NBA and any one of these NBA insiders. Doesn't it feel like everybody's like, yeah, this is it for Lebron and the Lakers. Doesn't mean Lebron can't go sign somewhere else, But I think this year was it was a clear indication when we were in the summer that we're not going to have life. It doesn't seem like just based off of that extension that he grabs and or Lakers don't give him an extension, but he obviously decides to come back with the Lakers take that final fifty two million. I don't know how much of an effect it has inside of that locker room. And maybe it doesn't have an effect because Lebron also doesn't know what he's going to do. And I actually I genuinely believe that I don't think Lebron is sure yet my playing another year, there's probably a greater likelihood it's not going to be in LA with the Lakers. I think there's this new chapter that's already started with you know, obviously with Luca, there's new ownership that's working their way in. There's a lot going on with the Lakers, and Lebron is just one of the stories. I don't think he is the story anymore. So could it have some effect potentially, but I don't get this feeling like it's affected the team, the roster or anything else. Maybe when Rich Paul was having during his podcast saying hey, I trade Jaren Jackson, Junior Frost and Reeves, I think stuff like that probably has more in effect than the actual Lebron piece.
Speaker 2: All right, Slee, well here we go. Finish you up with this one. There are two games in the lost columns separating third place from seventh place. That is Nuggets, Rockets, Lakers, Timberwolves, Sons. I don't know if you can remember all of those, but one where do the Lakers sit? Let's just go who's ahead of them in that group that you would be concerned about in a playoff series if you were either the Thunder or the Spurs, which of those teams would concern you the most?
Speaker 4: I still say Denver is the is the team that if they're healthy. The problem with Denver and This just might be one of those seasons where it doesn't seem like they can get all their guys together, and it could just this could be the story of the Denver Nuggets this season. If Aaron Gordon is healthy, if Nicola Jolkich, Jamal Murray, Christian Brown, Peyton Wall, go down the list of some of these players that they have. They added some really really nice veteran pieces as well, Tim Hardaway Junior. They got a really good team. I like the team they put together. Their biggest issue is going to be are they Are they healthy? And if I'm San Antonio or if I'm the Oklahoma City Thunder, those are That's the team that I would look at of the four or five that you just mentioned there that they got the best player in the world, They got championship pedigree because they have won a chip before. I think Jamal Murray is one of the more underrated players clutch players in the NBA. Of those teams, Denver, to me, would be the most dangerous.
Speaker 3: Alan Sleewah Hoops Talk and a real friend of the show. We appreciate the insight. Enjoy your Super Bowl weekend, Alan, and we will talk to you soon. Thank you. Fellows. I appreciate it, you too. There, he goes Alan Sleewah as the Lakers make a push toward the All Star Break to lose in the first or second round of the playoffs.
Speaker 2: I think the Lakers could win it.
Speaker 5: I think the Lakers can win.
Speaker 3: In the first round.
Speaker 2: Perhaps you are Actually that's a little bit of a lunch shot. They've only won a first round series twice. It's been here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he'll take a month off to cycle up.
Speaker 2: I think the Lakers can win it.
Speaker 3: Rejuvenate.
Speaker 2: Let me see that chin shave, that beard, Lebron, let me see it. Look at it, my eyes on it.
Speaker 3: Make a little clearer. Come on, okay, DENNI Live guy. Birthday of the Day coming up next, and then we will get you to Clipper pregame. Thanks for listening, everybody. The Petro Send Money Show done for the week. We hope you have a great Super Sunday. We got Clippers pregame next, and we're running all the games on the station all weekend.
Speaker 2: Long after Clippers pregame, Clippers Kings tonight and then Sunday, of course, your exclusive home in Los Angeles of Super Bowl sixty. You will hear Patriots Seahawks right here. Talk to Kevin Harlan yesterday. He will be on the call. Pregame will be after Clippers Timberwolves, so you'll get that little clips in a nooner followed by the Super Bowl. If you're moving around town or you got to run out and get something done while the game is on, don't miss a single second. Just pop it on to a five seventy LA Sports. You will get that Patriots Seahawks contest as your exclusive home is right.
Speaker 3: And we gave away that BJ's one hundred dollars gift card earlier. Don't forget to score big with BJ's Restaurant in brew House, MVP game bundle, wings, pizza apps, the whole spread. Order now for the big game. Keep listening for your chance to win one hundred dollars BJ's Restaurant and brew House gift card in the future because we already gave away that one today. Thank you January, not the month, the person, and thank you Bjys. All right, it is time to hold aloft your saber matt for your favorite time would have been one hundred and ninety three years old today a flashy, extremely well quaffed calvaryman James Mule Brown Stuart Jeb Stewart from a plantation in Virginia near the North Carolina. Come on and raise up border. Eighth of eleven children, one of five surviving boys. They didn't give you much of a break back, then, did they.
Speaker 2: No, A lot of kids died, you know, in infancy. It was not the greatest time.
Speaker 3: No. His father was an eighteen twelve Veteranano and a Democratic politician and a slaveholder. Oh no, well, yes, Jeb Stewart. Jeb went to West Point, and at the time Jeb Stewart was in West Point, the superintendent of West Point was Robert E. Lee. Robert E. Lee became a close friend of the Stuart family and they became lifelong colleagues. He became an army officer, wounded and bleeding Kansas, fighting against the pro slavery types. For that, he was there with Lee and the US Army to put down the John Brown Raid and Harper's Ferry. And he resigned like Lee in eighteen sixty one to become a rebel. When Virginia succeeded, he became in charge of cavalry and eventually became Robert E. Lee's cavalry guy for the Army of Northern Virginia. At first Lee wasn't in charge of that army, but then he took control of it, and because of that it became one of the world's most famous armies and studied armies of all time. And he was there for all of it, most all of it. And you could say that Jeb Stuart and Stonewall Jackson were Robert E. Lee's right and left hand. And Robert E. Lee lost Stonewall to friendly fire in Chancellorsville, and Stuart let him down. Matt. He disappeared running around gallivanting around the Pennsylvania countryside during Gettysburg, lost contact with Lee until day two of the fighting. Lee had no idea where anybody was, and many blamed Jeb Stewart for the loss. He was there for the glory in the agony of the Army of the Northern Virginia caused a lot of trouble. You know, that's what a cavalry does, Matt. They go around with their horses and rabble rous you know, burn stuff, steal stuff, sure, balk stuff around. Now, the Union, especially when the war began, really had no chance against Confederate cavalry. But then they got Philip Sheridan going, who was like a little Union cavalry guy. And at a certain point, this was later in the war, when Grant was during the Overland campaign, Stuart was causing trouble and Sheridan was talking to asked saying, hey, I'll go get Stuart. I'll go kill him right now, and and Grant said, oh, for real, you will go get.
Speaker 2: Is that a direct quote? Oh for real?
Speaker 3: Actually, I I when he see because somebody was talking to Grant like he said he'd do this. He said that, and Grant looked at the guy and said, he said that all right. He sent him out there. Sheridan took his cavalry and uh down. In the Battle of a Yellow Tavern, Jeb Stuart randomly got shot by a random dude and when he was pulled to the to the rear, he screeched at his retreating men, go back, go back. I'd rather die than be wit. He was gout shot, Matt, Yeah, I got shots.
Speaker 2: Don't go well back.
Speaker 3: Then he did get back still though, no, no, not still not good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, still pretty pretty bad way to go.
Speaker 3: He did get back to Richmond. Jeff Davis saw him before death. His wife just miss Chef Jeff Davis. His wife just missed him, just missed. The guy that killed him was killed four weeks later. Jeb Stewart's horse was named Skylark. His gloves and his hat and his sword can be seen at the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, and he's buried at the Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond. Right next to Marilyn Monroe. No, right next to you know, Robert Stonewall and the rest of his crew.
Speaker 2: No, No, I think you had it right the first time. It's right next to Monroe. You're a live guy. Birthday of the Day is session Musician alert pe. We love the guys behind the guys, or in this case, the guy behind a number of bands. It's British news case.
Speaker 1: Time for a PMS.
Speaker 3: British News at the Kingdom English News. It's time for British News. Cheerio's top straight get Out.
Speaker 2: Born in London, prodigy went professional at age twelve. Simon Phillips. Simon Phillips, his father said Phillips was a very popular musician. He led a Dixie Land band. Simon started playing drums on their tours. When his father died, he landed the gig playing drums and the Jesus Christ Superstar production got a decession work with some of the cast members of Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: That's one of the best musicals to drum. Oh No.
Speaker 2: Dom word traveled that this teenager could freaking beat the skins. Pretty soon he was in seriously high demand. Jeff Beck, Peter Gabriel, Pete Townsend, freaking Frank Zappo was like, I like this kid, he can drump for me. Brian Eno came and got him for the supergroup with Roxy Music's Phil manzon Era eight oh one, and when Alan Moore was out, Rob Hofford and Judas Priests were like, we need you. We're in the middle of recording Sin after Sin and we got to finish the damn right. We can't mess around. So Phillips comes in and all our man does be Simon phillips Is introduced the freaking double bass that's right, that would define the next wave of metal. This song, Dissident Aggressor, is the foundation for British heavy metal and thrash metal death metal thanks to Simon phillips double kick that was heard for the first time when he laid it down on this kick ass dissident Aggressor track. Listen to it.
Speaker 3: He's the Jeff Stewart of drugs.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he'd appreciate that. Hey, when The Who hit the road in nineteen eighty nine, he was their tour drummer. Both Daltrey and Townsend, as I mentioned, towsand before, used him for their solo work. His debut solo record, Protocol, saw him play everything. He moved to Los Angeles to do it, got into jazz drunk for the Chemical Brothers. And when it comes to music, I thought they used the machine. They were like, I have a machine for this one off. Get Samon Phillips, huh playing the Toto drummer. Jeff Piccaro sadly passed away. And you know how skilled the total musicians are.
Speaker 3: They're some of the best. You know. That's back when ugly people were allowed to make music.
Speaker 2: Matt, That's right, Phillips was their only choice.
Speaker 3: Music was better when ugly people made it.
Speaker 2: Other drummers are like, hey, man, can I get an audition? They were like, hey, this guy toured with Santana and he played with Zappa. Okay, it's Simon Phillips, and that's it. Someone who I believe has been celebrated in this spot as an alive guy. Japanese jazz pianist virtuoso Haromi Uahara uses him as her drummer in her trio with Anthony Jackson. They have done four albums together, David Gilmore, Asia, Joe Satriani, Madness, just a few others that he has played with. And you here here, pe. Look if Sanborn's got to cut out for a couple of weeks and he needs someone to fill Simon philps this guy calls. In two thousand and three, he was inducted into the Modern Drummer Hall.
Speaker 3: Did did you see the white guys in the short sleeve button downs in the crowd watching this? Oh yeah, I'll turn this up.
Speaker 2: And that and p as you can envision with your mind's eye, you know, the bass player and the guitarist, our African American gentleman with like leopard print and backwards caps.
Speaker 3: On, just knocking backwards Cabby.
Speaker 2: Likely exactly exactly the backwards cave you had, like Muldoon, and Phillips is just going crazy back there with his freaking perm show place. He is uh sixty nine Today. Hell of a drummer, Simon Phillips. Let's go to spogat teeny and check him out.
Speaker 3: Wow, oh god, I love to two shows nightly. We'll be back on Monday, but we hope you have a great night and we hope you enjoy the super Bowl. Don't forget all the basketball and the football on the station this weekend. Thanks to Tim Kaines, our tireless executive producer and Katie for Philly In Today for Ronnie, Yeah Katie. A big thanks to Colin ye We're killing me back. Fully functional employee Adham from his Bluetooth headset. Why did I buy this thing? Crumming up fall sp