Speaker 1: Back on the Big One seven hundred l W it is three oh seven, Dan Carroll, Jason Williams in Freddie and the Rock.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: Happy New Year there, Jason Williams New Year's Son. I mean it is New Year's Eve. We are ready to rock and roll. We're ready to rock and roll. Our last show, our last show of and yeah, we've had a good run since right before Christmas, saving our saving our best guests here for these last I.
Speaker 3: Think we are.
Speaker 1: You know, it was back in June, and if memory serves, I think you and I were doing a show together back in June. And it was back in June of this year when and and right as a show was ending, the news was breaking about the house settlement, and I and I and I think I was talking to you and I said, I said, do you know who the house is in the house settlement?
Speaker 3: Does that mean I get a break of my mortgage? Sometimes?
Speaker 1: I said no, I said, I said, the guy's name is Grant House at the Saint Ant's High School. And when our very man, one of the greatest all time swimmers in the state of Ohio, maybe the greatest swimmer ever at Santa X High School and that's saying a lot. And then he went on to a great college career at Arizona State University and Grand House is the one along with a group of other college athletes who decided to press that lawsuit and said, look, we think college athletes should be able to earn money on their name, image and likeness. And so today I saw right before I came in here, today, I saw the Purdue head coach talking about nil and he said, look, we need to know what the rules are. He said, because it seems like there's not a lot of basketball. Coach Matino talk about this. We heard coach cow We played a cut from coach cal the other day on this. But joining us now is the guy whose name is on the house settlement from Saint X High School and Arizona State University. It's my pleasure to welcome in Grand House and Grand House. How you doing today?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 4: That is some high praise quite the introduction game. It was great to be here. Honored. I end with both of you.
Speaker 1: I can heap on a lot more praise if you want, but we we can, we can, uh, we can put that aside for a second. Take me back to the beginning. Take me back to when you came up with this notion that that, look, college athletes, we ought to be able to earn money and and you know, and make be able to make a living on our name image of Yeah, how did that?
Speaker 3: How did that come about?
Speaker 5: It really started in my freshman year, just kind of serendipitously in the freshman dorms with one of the doormats across the hall. He made music and he made a comment like I can make the worst music ever, and you and your teammate can make the best music ever, and I can still make more more financial gain off of that.
Speaker 4: And I was like, that just doesn't seem right.
Speaker 5: Even though we're having a busier schedule, were occupied opportunities with athletics and sports, with practices, training, recovery meets, we were limited by being athletes.
Speaker 4: I didn't think that made sense, and so that.
Speaker 5: Kind of sparked my initiatives to advocate for athletes as a Student Athlete Advisory President for ASU PAC twelve representative, trying to push forward different nutrition initiatives, to get better fueling for the athletes, to issue psychological benefits for sports psychologists that they issue, and getting better media rights deals and opportunities for athletes to actually get viewership at the PAC twelve opportunity level across all schools.
Speaker 4: So that moment in.
Speaker 5: The freshman dorms an actual beneficial moment out of freshman dorms.
Speaker 4: I don't feel like you.
Speaker 5: Hear that too often, but it really sparked an unexpected kind of a journey for me and to advocating for this and believing that student athletes get a lot, and athletes in college can achieve a lot, and they deserve to access all that potential in grant.
Speaker 3: What an honor it is to have you on the show, and Dan said you were going to be on with his you know, I was really excited to have you. And because we we hear so much, you know, obviously we have, you know, a couple of big, big schools here with Xavier and UC, so you hear a lot about the house settlement. I've talked with my job at Cincinnati dot Com, the inquire I've talked with UC Athletic Director John Cunningham several times and he's, hey, when the house settlement kicks in, can you clarify for our listeners. So the big history here is essentially ed O'Bannon was a basketball player at U c l A many many years ago. His face was on or they put his limp image on the EA Sports. He then began the ball rolling on saying hey, I'm not making any money on this went to the Supreme Court and that that really got the ball rolling. But specifically it was your pursuit of this that ultimately has led now to basically the schools now paying athletes directly. Is that correct?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and in some shape, shape or form as well. Yeah, that that kind of specifies a good amount.
Speaker 3: And so whatever university now out out of the house settlement, Uh, it can pay up to twenty point five million dollars a year and I think probably escalates based on what inflation uh, to their to their athletes, and that that could be any athlete in their any in their programs, whatever could be swimmer, It could be a basketball player, lacrosse player, whatever. Did you ever did did you ever think that, uh? It would you know it would it would reach this level? And I know obviously you're pursuing that. But as you sit back now after the whole settlement has been has been done, what do you what do you make of of the accomplishment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I think at the at the time it's a great, great question, Jason. I appreciate it, and I think it's at the time being honest and vulnerable and authentic. Like at the start of all this, I didn't think it would escalate to the magnitude and opportunity and potential that it does today. But along the way it encouraged me a lot to really educate myself and understand that NIL has empowered athletes and has the opportunity for the first time to allow athletes to understand their value, build brands, and gain real world experience and marketing business entrepreneurship, something that athletes have historically been excluded from up until you know. Ed O'Bannon really took a first big swing at the door to knock it down, and then, like you mentioned my after Sean Austin Alston versus NCAA came through and kind of put took another punch at the door House versus Cuba really kicked it down ten feet away from the Hinges.
Speaker 3: So hey, Grant, let me ask you.
Speaker 1: This part of the settlement means the NCAA pays out two point eight billion dollars in damages to athletes who competed from twenty sixteen to twenty twenty five. How important was that to you that the athletes of your era and a little bit before your era it recoups some of this money or see some benefit from what you were able to get done.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think to make sure that all athletes involved got as much as they could within our legal system.
Speaker 4: You know, obviously we have.
Speaker 5: Precedent involved that limits the date range that it can go back. But there are dozens and hundreds and thousands of athletes that I knew, whether it was gymnastics, soccer, lacrosse, basketball, swimming, anything in those in any regard that could have benefited from the successes. They had, the unique characteristics they had outside of their sport, their image that the school promoted from them. So it was really important for me to make sure that it was rectified that as far as it could previous in addition to the present and especially going forward, because we knew we couldn't do all of it for the entire existence of the NCAA back to the nineteen nineteen early twenties, but wanted to get as much as we could, and obviously we accomplished that as as to the best degree we could in the moment.
Speaker 3: So if you're you were an NCAA Division one athlete at any school obviously during that time period leading up to basically what is today's you know NIL and yeah, I don't know, I'm just making up here, Like say I was a division I always say I was a soccer player at Northern Kentucky University in twenty seventeen? Am i am? I Can I get money from the house settlement that two point eight billion? Is everyone eligible who played during that period, no matter what school, just as long as they were a Division one athlete, are they can they be able to get money from that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? That is one hundred percent accurate.
Speaker 5: The timeframe to kind of apply for that and like put your your reference range in there of like, hey, I was an athlete like you just described as soccer player at MKU has passed so they can collect all those names and properly distribute it going forward. But that's the beauty of NIL is it's not it's not segmented to one sport. It's obviously there's a lot of value in a couple of different sports, but it doesn't discriminate it doesn't segment anything.
Speaker 4: Through any of the sports.
Speaker 5: It's available to every athlete maybe that wants to benefit from it. It's available to every school that wants to utilize it and leverage it. And so really, as long as those athletes were diligent and pursued that when it came out, and I tried to make sure to publicize that to as many athletes as I knew, anyone could benefit from it in various degrees.
Speaker 1: Obviously, So grant you in the sport of swimming, you have great name recognition. You remember of the national team, You've been around for a long time in the sport, and now because of the house settlement, you have great name recognition outside of the sport of swimming. What's been the upside and what's been some of the downside of all this that's taken place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, another great question. I think the real win.
Speaker 5: Is when athletes graduate, they have options and confidence in the future beyond the scoreboard or the field or the court. Now, I think that's something that's very uplifting to me. They have more autonomy and opportunities during their time frame and their lifetime as a college athlete too. I think for me it's been understanding and being a thought leader in this field and a leader to trailblaze this path as well for the future really generations and tens of decades down the line.
Speaker 4: For I mean, this year, we had.
Speaker 5: About five hundred and fifty thousand athletes competing in the NCAA across all divisions, and just to multiply that by itself every year for the rest of time is really just gratifying and empowering to know that I played a huge part to enact that and give that opportunity and potential to individuals because I think and I al should teach athletes how to build value, not just collect it, but how to apply it into their job, into the workforce and their lives going forward, instead of.
Speaker 4: Just expecting to collect a paycheck.
Speaker 5: And I think that's been a lot of the rewards, getting messages from people in person really or having opportunities like I'll be speaking at Marquette, I'll be speaking at U Penn I.
Speaker 4: Spoke with USC about a month ago as well.
Speaker 5: Giving back and helping the next generation of sports law or studying lawyers as well. Kind of a perspective that want to help continue to reshape college athletics and professional sports too. I think that's something that college athletics needs to do a little bit more of, is learning from professional sports, because that really is our bluepoint blueprint coming forward. And I'd say the negatives were, unfortunately, but definitely a lot more prevalent than the positives along the way.
Speaker 4: Not a lot of the positives came until really this past.
Speaker 5: Summer and spring, but I'd say a lot of the negatives were, you know, threats to my life, threats to my well being, constant barragement of.
Speaker 4: Media messages, text messages.
Speaker 5: Calls, even from parents, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, whatever it was, student athletes just you know, having a different a change occur, and change is hard, change is challenging, but change can be positive and good. And I think at that time it was just a lot for people to handle, and for whatever reason, they felt like it was I was taking their emotions and anger out on me.
Speaker 4: It was going to solve their problems, and that just isn't the case.
Speaker 5: So it was definitely a lot of reflection and understanding controlling what I can control and that everyone else isn't. I'm not responsible for everyone else's emotions and reactions, but really understanding why I did this, wanting to do this for the betterment and the cause of athletes across all divisions, and just navigating that to be stronger in myself and have better perseverance and determination through this to filter out what matters and what doesn't.
Speaker 3: And we well said Grant and look, you're not in charge of the rules here, and that that's the big that's the big problem with all this now is that there's there's a lack of leadership in the NCAA about putting rules around this. And I even saw something the other day like oh, therefore, all if we do this, and like essentially there was a statement put out by someone like yeah, I mean it was very you know, loyally worded, but it was like basically like if we do this, we'll get sued kind of. I think it was when the Baylor got the guy had been drafted the NBA that none of that, none of that is anything that you had anything to do with. You had nothing to do with transfer portal, You had nothing to do without the transfer portal, and NIL go together. Honestly, I think the House settlement was a great thing because it brought no pun intended. It brought the money that colleges are able to pay their athletes in house instead of having outside entities. And I know athletes can they'll do that and go out, go out and do you know, get extra money out, you know, besides whatever they're making from the school. But I think the house settlement was a very good thing in this crazy, crazy world. And honestly, granted, if it wasn't you, it was going to be you know, someone else at some other university or whatever who would have done this. So for you to take take the lead on this and do it, I think it is honestly brought some structure around this world that and you know, i'd assume probably a lot of the criticism you've gotten is a lack of a lack of education and b people taking out the fact that there's a lack of leadership in the NCAA to put rules around all this on you and I had nothing to do with you. I'm on my high horse.
Speaker 4: Now, No I appreciate it. I need I need someone on their high horse for me out here to these days. Jason, and you're incredibly accurate.
Speaker 5: I think a lot of people just thought I wrote every word in a lawsuit and the class action, and I believed in this cause, and I believe athletes should access these opportunities and have more autonomy and have more accountability and responsibilities in their careers and then their lifestyles. I've always been told that by my very high level of coaches in my career, and I believe that responsibility just starts a little bit earlier now for college athletes.
Speaker 4: But the legal system was well.
Speaker 5: In effect before I was ever a consideration in this world, even long before the House gears unc double A, and the lawyers certainly weren't exactly including me in every single drafting of the process either. So I think a lot of people will see the name easy Target. They don't see the names that are writing up these documents and stuff like that along the way, at every stop in the courtrooms and in the legal system. So I appreciate you pointing that out, because there are certainly some aspects that I agreed with and some that I didn't. And I just believed in this cause to push it forward as best I could. But wasn't there for every single letter to be written on the documents?
Speaker 1: All right, grant run, But before we go, I see the videos that you put on your social media, you look like you're in an awesome shape. You're working with athletes in and out of the pool. I'm guessing that you're going to take one more shot at the Olympic Trials.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, Yes, sir.
Speaker 5: I gotta look the part to be the part, and I'm pressing on forward to twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: LA.
Speaker 4: That's the plan right.
Speaker 3: Now, Olympic Trials. Baby, get it done. Grant. We're rooting for you here in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Grant, all the best to you, keep up the great work, Happy new Year, and tell your mom and dad we said hi, and Grant House one of the all time greats here in Ohio. Keep up the great work, man, and hopefully we'll get a chance to talk to you on.
Speaker 3: Down the road.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, thanks for having me on. Happy New Year's and all the success into twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Congratulations on all of your successes in and out of the pool. And I think it makes a little extra suite to this national thing that's happened that you're a Cincinnati guy. So all the best to your happy New year, Grant.
Speaker 4: Thank you, no place better to be from the five one three.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: We love that grand House. The one and only time for a little traffic and weather together. It's seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: All right back on the big one, seven hundred W LW three thirty seven. Damn Carroll.
Speaker 1: Jason Williams sitting in for Freddy in the Rock. And you know, Jason, you and I talked about it. By the way, I just want to say thanks to Grant House. A great interview there and a great talk about what's happening with Nil and Collge sports and all the rest of it. Yeah, and you have made some very excellent points, thank you about the lack of leadership in the NCAA that has let things get to the state that it is today. And in so many cases in the world in which we live, it is a lack of leadership that allows things to get to a point to where they just start falling apart. And I think that's what we're seeing in Minnesota. As you're ready to say Minnesota and the governor there, we have talked about the what's going on with the fraud there in the Somalik, not just as it relates to childcare, but as it relates to this whole notion of feeding our future. So this program where you're supposed to feed hungry kids, tons of fraud going on there as it relates to these programs for kids who have autism who are supposed to and they're stealing money based on that, stealing money on housing programs that are aimed at individuals who can't take care of themselves, the elderly, the poor, veterans, and drug addicted individuals. And so this story in Minnesota has been taken on a life of its own, and now it's gotten to the point to where people are saying, you know what, you need to look at these communities all across the country. And it turns out Columbus, Ohio has a huge community there that the stories are coming out that there is all kinds of fraud going on in Columbus, Ohio. And let me read to you the words of state Representative Josh Williams, who just put this out on his xpeed earlier today. Here's what he said, if you're running a publicly funded childcare center in Columbus, we will find out if you are committing fraud, we will prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law, and we will make sure you spend years behind bars. We are not playing games here and Representative Josh Williams is our guest today on seven hundred WLW and Josh Williams, welcome to seven hundred WLW. Those are some strong words, my friend, and it sounds to me like you are ready to back that up with action.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I stand behind that statement. I appreciate you guys having me on tonight. But let's be clear. Anyone that's committing fraud in the state of Ohio when it comes to taxpayer dollars, whether it's ceteral money or state money, you are going to be prosecuted to the full e center the law. And after watching what's been going on in Minnesota, we are going to increase the penalties here in the state of Ohio. I watched people still millions of dollars in that state and get twenty month sentences. When we come back in February from our holiday break, I'll be introducing legislation that will increase the penalties for fraud when public dollars are the source of that fraud to years years in prison if you are caught, prosecuted and convicted.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Representing Williams, thank you for joining us here and happy New year to you. And I tell you you and you've gotten forty other of your colleagues there and the legislature on board with this where you and you laid it out here very nicely in your document. You know you've calling on the state to the state, what is it the Ohio Department of Children and Youth to lead the charge on conduct increased unannounced inspections of Columbus area child care facilities receiving state funding, audit attendance records and billings missions to these facilities and so on. Is why just Columbus could could you you know, were you planning it? Would you think of this? Maybe expanding this across the state too?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, a letter was written broad enough to encompass the entire state, but we added some language, particularly Columbus, Ohio, because that's where we're getting a large number of complaints and allegations of fraud.
Speaker 3: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: The Department of Children and.
Speaker 7: Youth has received thousands of complaints online and to their complaint a button on their website. I've received at least a couple dozen directly to my social media private message or to my actual offices email or voicemail. So we're under the process of reviewing these allegations investigating them.
Speaker 2: And what I'm calling on is the Department.
Speaker 7: Of Children in the Youth, a newly created department that the legislature created just two years ago to use the tools that we gave them for enforcement, which is mainly unannounced inspections and attendance reviews. Now, I'm going to give some credit to the Department Children of Youth because we saw this type of fraud and abuse occurring and the prevalence of it in different type of programs across the state of Ohio. We wanted these programs under one umbrella, and that's why we brought a lot of that under one department, a cabinet level, executive branch department under the governor for a dc WIY. So now they have that authority, they have it in one department, and they've been doing things like I'll give you an example.
Speaker 2: They created a pen.
Speaker 7: So when you take your child to one of these states sponsored childcare providers, the parent is supposed to enter.
Speaker 2: In a pen when they registered their kid as being there for that day.
Speaker 7: Well, what we found out was parents were just turning over their pen to the childcare providers. So dc WHY wrote a letter to parents saying, if you do this, you're in violation. You may lose your childcare. If you've done it, you need to request a new pen. And try to guess how many families in the state of Ohio requested a new pen.
Speaker 2: Over seven thousand for crying. Huh, they had to ask for a new pin.
Speaker 7: So we've talked to dc WHY about, Hey, how often can we forcibly issue a new pen? And then we have some other things that are in the works. I don't want to spill the beans too early, but I'm drafting legislation that will take care of this attendance problem. In real time, we will have the availability of doing these unannounced inspections of facilities.
Speaker 2: So we'll be working steadfast in the new year.
Speaker 1: So Josh Williams in Minnesota, it looks like this the reports of this fraud, and I know there's already been a number of people prosecuted for these these fraudulent activities have taken place in Minnesota. Looks like it goes back to twenty fifteen, if not before that. I don't know how far back in Ohio this story goes. But the show that we had on before Jason and I came on was ken Brew. He was talking with Jim and Ranesi about this, and Jim or Nacy really laid it out and said that, you know, look, the government or the governor has sort of blown this off. It doesn't seem like there was any real appetite in Columbus to follow up on this, especially from I guess a law enforcement perspective. What is the appetite now as far as you're concerned with lawmakers in the state of Ohio, because the action that you're taking here or seeking to take here seems to be the first real you know, the first real words I've seen where someone is coming out and when willing to take the stand against this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean the appetite within the legislature, the legislative branch of the government.
Speaker 2: We want increased enforcement.
Speaker 7: We want the laws that we write in the state of Ohio to be followed. We're always at inherent conflict with the other branches. That's the way Founding fathers designed our three branch system to have this inherent conflict where we rely on the executive branch to enforce the laws. And it's sad to say that we have a governor that sometimes refuses to enforce the laws. I mean, even laws like the death penalty he refuses to enforce. But what we are starting to do as a legislature is take back some of our legislative power and say we have the power of the purse. This department is going to have to come in front of us every two years asking for money. We will defund you if you do not enforce the laws that we pass. And luckily, I mean when I called DCY and spoke to the director directly, they were open to this increased effort. They have been taking it on themselves since this reporting has started. They started to do an increased effort. They appreciated the letter that came out of my office.
Speaker 2: With over forty of my.
Speaker 7: Members of the General Assembly signing onto that letter, because it didn't just put the onus on DCY independently doing this that it's the legislature, the funding body who is paying for this childcare, is asking for this investigative tool to be used. Because when DC WHY was asking childcare providers to do these inspections, they were giving a lot of pushback. They were complaining, why are you choosing us? Why are you targeting us? Well, now they can look at our letter and say, actually, the legislature is the one telling us we need to do these inspections, and they're the ones telling us to do them in Columbus. Because we have over fifty one hundred childcare providers, independently childcare providers across the state of Ohio that take government dollars in some form. That's a lot of places to do daily inspections on. So we have to concentrate right now where the allegations are. But we plan on going into every city, including my home city, and you're gonna see legislation coming out. There was a letter sent to fa Auditor Favors office asking for him to look into the daycare providers and the healthcare providers because we know that fraud is.
Speaker 2: Rampant in that community as well. And I'll give you an.
Speaker 7: Example of what is not technically fraud, but it definitely is a lack of respect for the state of Ohio and it is a hustle in certain communities. What we are finding is some of these daycare providers will have two or three employees on staff on a day and every child that's at that day care provider is a child of one of the employees. The employees being paid minimum wage so they remain eligible for free childcare, and then the state is paid for you to essentially watch your own children throughout the day, and the.
Speaker 2: Childcare provider makes a ton of.
Speaker 7: Money because they're being paid by the state of Ohio. Yet that's not technically fraud, but that is literally a hustle. That's a hustle, no doubt, using the system that's in place. So we're looking at new rules that address that. The fear was always Hey, if we have this single mother with one or two children and she works at a daycare, she should be able to bring her children with her. Yes, that's a very sympathetic story. But when you look at these micro daycarees is what I call it, where they only got ten or twelve kids there and there's three employees and all the employees are our children of the employees. Well, now I'm just subsidizing someone's lifestyle. Now, I'm just paying you to watch your own children. And that's what That's not what Ohioans are paying money for. That's not what we're getting taxed for to give these individuals a free lifestyle where they don't have to go out and earn an honest living. So we're going to approach that issue in twenty twenty six as well.
Speaker 3: Representative Josh Williams State Representatives with US the Ohio Department of Children in Youth. It sounds like part of your push here is honing in on that department, which you said was just create a few years ago. Can you clarify what that what's the difference between that department and the basically, you know, what's typically known as our you know, Jobs and Family Services department is this is the Ohio Department of Children and Youth specifically focused on these daycare facilities are and in charge of that.
Speaker 2: They are in.
Speaker 4: Charge of it.
Speaker 7: They have a lot of responsibility. We took the responsibility away from the Department of Job and Family Services two years ago in places of the Department of Children and Youth.
Speaker 2: So on a local level.
Speaker 7: The Department of Job and Family Services determines eligibility for a parent to get subsidized childcare. Then the actual provider is seeking out licensure from DCY to become a childcare provider that can accept state and federal dollars. They have to meet certain requirements to become eligible for those state and local dollars. They could be a private childcare provider, but to get state in local subsidies, they must meet certain requirements and they have to get certain inspections before they open. One of them has to be unannounced, and then annually they have to get at least one inspection. So we're asking for increased inspections, especially when there's allegations towards a particular daycare provider. And it doesn't mean that a resident has to reach out, go knock on the door, demand to see the children the type of stuff we're seeing online. Simply reporting them to dc WHY, which they have a very good website with the reporting tool, is enough.
Speaker 2: But DCY is being proactice.
Speaker 7: They are watching social media, they're watching how Toledo is being viewed across the nation, and they are seeing some of these.
Speaker 2: Videos and going to investigate themselves.
Speaker 7: And I applaud them for being proactive because they knew the legislature is going to be coming to call them to task on what they are doing to south this issue. Unlike Minnesota, we are controlled by Republicans.
Speaker 2: Here, we are.
Speaker 7: We're not concerned that Columbus is Democrat controlled itself. All of our major metropolitan cities are Democrat controlled, and they got this blue bubble of corruption in fraud. I mean, just go and look at the mayor's financial report and look how many daycare centers donated to him in his last election.
Speaker 2: And right yeah, ganther, and look at.
Speaker 7: Our state representatives that represent that district. We're looking through their financial reports right now, and look how many john Does are donating to them, or people donating thousands of dollars and not putting down their employment or their addresses. And dozens of daycares that are listed in investigation have donated to members of the Democrat Party within the city of Columbus. So it's our job as Republicans and control of our state to crack down on these blue cities that are simply you know, they have their hands out for state dollars, but they don't want responsibility when the fraud appears. So we're going to crack down, and we're going to crack down hard.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, Josh Williams, we're gonna have to leave it right there. You're also a candidate for Congress in Ohio's ninth district, and so I read a little bit about your personal story earlier today. You're an absolute inspiration and keep up the great work, my friend. I appreciate what you're doing. We're going to be watching from here in Cincinnati and the good Lord Willing. I hope we get a chance to call on you in the future.
Speaker 2: Thank you, guys, Thank you for reporting on this one.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks for representing Williams. Josh Williams. And the first time we've had that guy on. I like him a lot. Time for a little traffic and weather together on seven hundred WLW seven hundred WLW four eleven, Save your Basketball coming up at the bottom of the hour. It's the Eddian Rockey Show, Dan Carroll, Jason Williams sitting in for Eddie and Rock and we just had Josh Williams on State Lawmaker and I like that guy. First time I've had him on the air like that one. He has coined a term, and I don't know if I've heard this before, but he talked about the cities in Ohio the blue the blue surrounded by the blue bubble of corruption.
Speaker 3: They got to say, you got to say, I kind of like that. Yes, it's the blue bubble. Of corruption. It's like a political ad.
Speaker 1: Phone lines are open five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven, eight hundred, the big one. If you want to say something as we head into the new year, and I got something I want to say, but let's let's go ahead and get this out of the way. Dick from Dating your last chance to be on the air of twenty twenty five on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: Happy new Year to you, buddy, I we knew your Dan.
Speaker 6: Happy new year, Jason. That's been Yeah, it's been good year.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: I'm waiting for.
Speaker 8: Ohio State and with that game tonight, something about huh, big game tonight, big game tonight. But you know what, thought the Bengals off.
Speaker 6: But they've got a chance.
Speaker 8: They might have that four game streak.
Speaker 2: They have a pretty good record.
Speaker 1: You know, well, it's still not making the playoffs. Maybe get some momentum going into next year. Who knows, But Dick, give me one thing you hope for in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Hope for in twenty six?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I want the Bengals to go to the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: There you go, that's a good thing to go for. Dick from Dayton, all the best to you. We'll be talking to you again in twenty twenty six, my friend.
Speaker 3: Okay, you happy New Year. So there you go.
Speaker 1: Dick from Dayton weighing in on what he wants for twenty twenty six. Let me tell you something that I want for twenty on this. So and I've been thinking about this, let me tell you for the last three days and and just it's a it's a thing that bugs me and I am ready for it to end. So I don't know if on social media. I'm on X and so I get up, I look through my ex you know, I see stuff that people are posting out there, and it helps kind of generate shows, you know, ideas for the show and stuff like that. I don't take something I see on X and then take it to the air. It gives me. I go and research it and look it up and make sure because look, I mean a lot of that.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: So anyway, if if you're looking at social media, how many times have you seen these things? Oh, here's a list of of fifty cities.
Speaker 3: How many have you been to?
Speaker 1: Or have you ever and here's a list of things you know, have you ever you know used the rotary phone or have you you know ever used a floppy disk or have you used a manual typewriter? I mean, he's got a list like that. I'm tired of seeing that stuff. But do you get you know, or they say there's no girls name that starts with A and ends with a. I mean, how stupid is that? I saw That's funny. I saw one. That stuff needs to go away. I want all that kind of stuff go on. I don't want to that's all.
Speaker 3: I agree. That's what you know. What I'm with you, Dan Carroll, that stuff get rid of it? Because I saw one. It was was it this morning or yesterday? What? What's the the state that starts with a vow and ends with a different vow? And like then the gal goes through it and she's like saying, I'm like, what is this? Iowa? That's it. That's that's that's the answer. But she has to go through and it's all it's all made up and it I know, but it's on my feet. I don't follow these people. It's a waste of time.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of that. I don't I mean, I don't stop on that stuff anymore. I scrolled right through it. But are we that lazy that it's too much effort to scroll past something like that.
Speaker 3: Is that your number one wish for twenty twenty It's just startage. It's just something that bothers me that I don't want to see anymore. So that's when I will.
Speaker 1: If you're listening to us right now, pick up the phone five one, three, seven, four nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred, the big one. What do you want to what do you want to see in twenty twenty six? Or what do you want to go away in twenty twenty six? You got anything else? No, I don't have anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't have anything. You don't have any wishes for the new year.
Speaker 1: This is it, man, This is your last is my chance of twenty twenty five? And we got Xavier basketball coming up at the bottom of the hour. I'll tell you what you know you don't want to say for the new year is well, you know what I don't want to know. Hold on to that thought and let's talk to Ed in Western Hills ed seven hundred WLWLL.
Speaker 3: Hillary for Prison twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Boom click, That dropped the mic. That one has been a long time coming, my friend. That was a T shirt at one point wasn't it that was a T shirt at one point? Wasn't it that one's a I think you know, people said that that probably goes back to what swenty sixteen A decade. Yeah, I mean we're on our second and third edition of that T shirt now, Eddie and Columbus seven hundred.
Speaker 3: W W how's it going, Eddie?
Speaker 6: Fantastic, gentlemen. I want to see a thorough investigation of the waste fraud and abuse in Ohio, and I'd like to see less of my president on social media.
Speaker 1: Eddie, thank you very much for that. You know what that's that's I think that's a pretty good idea. Yeah, a little bit, but I look a little bit less of Trump putting out some of the because I mean it's so many times he puts stuff out there that is really such an unforced air and it's and stuff that doesn't really serve him all that Well.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing he said about Rob Reiner, you know and his wife, Yeah, don't say anything, right, Like why you say anything? Rob? I mean Rob Reiner said a lot a lot of he did worse stuff about Trump. He did, but it's like, yeah, you know, he didn't he didn't need to dude, what are you doing? Yeah, like, yeah, you're I mean unforced. There is a good, good phrase for it.
Speaker 1: Maybe he should uh maybe, you know, maybe get someone in there to sort of be a second set of eyeballs on those before you send them out.
Speaker 3: That's a good idea. I'm saying, you're looking over here at me. That's a great idea.
Speaker 2: Job.
Speaker 3: Would you have the temperament for a job like that?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: No, I don't. I don't have the temperament for a lot of things.
Speaker 1: Randy and Hamilton seven hundred w l W Happy New Year, Happy New Year?
Speaker 3: What's up, Brandy?
Speaker 4: Brandy, not much.
Speaker 6: I'm just a long time pan of you guys, and I just want to wish I got New Year and.
Speaker 3: Ye got big plans for.
Speaker 4: No, I'm just fall asleep.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: I'm with you on that, Randy. What's how does that football game start?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 3: Randy? Thank you very much for the call. What times on football game? Kickoff?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I'll look it up.
Speaker 1: Look it up, because that might go until I mean if it starts at eight, that might go till after eleven o'clock. It's so that could go you know, ten thirty eleven ish. Yeah, it could we'll see a big New Year's celebrator, Dan. You know what we the last few years, we've we've gone out and done a couple of things. But I think this year we're gonna we're gonna dial it back a little bit.
Speaker 3: I'm not big. I've never been a big New Year celebrator. I'm gonna just another day.
Speaker 1: Gonna watch the watch the football game, maybe a bottle of champagne at midnight. Bill and Coleraine Township seven hundred WLW. Then we got Danny and Columbus.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, Happy New Year Year, Happy New Year, Happy New Year.
Speaker 1: Bill. What what do you hope for the new year? What do you want to see go away in twenty twenty six?
Speaker 8: I want to see Terry Coles football CONTI bear catch.
Speaker 1: Well he's uh is he still on the Michigan staff?
Speaker 3: I think knew they did the new coach keep him or no?
Speaker 8: Because that thing he did not he did not is what I'm told he did not what him so he did not stay with Michigan.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, all right, Well, Bill, thank you very much. I mean, think about that, your Kerry Combs. If they announced you're going to go up there, you're going to be the special teams coordinator.
Speaker 3: Hopefully I hadn't sold his house here yet.
Speaker 1: And then the next day this stuff comes out about the the head coach up there. I mean, man, that's I mean that you talk about upside down?
Speaker 2: What a mess.
Speaker 3: I like the guy that got as their coach. I'm not a Michigan fan. Kyle whittinghams that the guy's a good coach. Cherry Combs is fantastic, though. We we love carry Combs here in Cincinnati, Columbus seven hundred WLW. What do you want to see for the new year or what do you want to go away?
Speaker 8: As an elementary school teacher, I want six seven to go away for the rest of my life.
Speaker 3: Oh preach it, brother, I preach it.
Speaker 8: Danny And I.
Speaker 5: Told my students I was born in nineteen sixty seven and the only thing.
Speaker 3: I've prad Oh man, his phone cut out. Hey, I will carry I will carry the torch on for Danny on see. Yes, that is exactly what I want to see go away. It's I mean, my kids in the middle of a hitting a baseball hitting thing the other day with this guy, and the guy was like, you know, try to get it to six or seven line drives in a row and my kids stops and he like does the whole like hand balance thing. That's that's part of it. Like where kids will go, you know, six seven, like they're juggling something, and I am like anytime they hear six seven, hey, six or seven, you know, I need you. I need you to be here in six or seven minutes. Oh six seven, all right, thanks Danny, Tom and Amelia. Very quickly. What do you want to see go away in the new year?
Speaker 4: All right, real quick.
Speaker 7: I like to see the rags and fingals and their fraudulent ownerships both go away.
Speaker 1: Well, well, I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. But with that we are out of here. Jason, Happy New Year to you, Joe, thanks for running the big board. Happy new Year to you. Happy new Year to everyone listening. But up next is Musketeers basketball on the hull of the Muskies seven hundred W l W