Speaker 1: This is the Cincinnati Tax Resolution powered by Tope Sheldon Roundtable show look from Lonecks, presented by Postman Law. Brought to you in part by Honda East and Honda East Power Equipment Dealer Skyline Chile feeling good. It's Skyline time. R and L Carriers. Visit RLC dot com and make R and L Carriers your global transportation provider, your tri state Chevy Dealers, Chevrolet the number one selling brand in Cincinnati for the past nine years. Chevrolet Together, Let's drive Postman Law Injured called eight four to four Postman Others Promise, Postman delivers and by Cincinnati Tax Resolution powered by Tope CHOLDN five one three five one three t oph on seven hundred WLW, the home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we go second hour of two underway tonight flew through that first one man, Do we have some grand to cover? And our second one and we will lead into the Wes Miller show coming up at eight. Right here on seven hundred wlwware long Necks in hebren got a drawing coming up at the end of the hour. If you're in house or on your way, be sure and sign up We have tickets in front of us set our broadcast setup. Just need your name and you got to be here at eight we'll draw for the Sean Volker Bengal Tiger print we're giving away this week. All right, let's talk to some you see Bearcats off last week hosting Arizona this week. There's one man to turn two to do such things. Bearcat Journal, bearcatjournal dot com. Chadbrendle, how are you tonight?
Speaker 3: Good? I am. You saved me from ten minutes of a volleyball postseason banquet, so I thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh I see?
Speaker 3: All right, Well.
Speaker 2: Let's get to it. Bounce back opportunity and really, as much as the Utah loss may have shaken some to you need to win. This is a big one this week to keep next week as a really big for the Bearcats.
Speaker 3: I don't think they can look at it like this. I think that look at it like that. I think you have to solely focus on Arizona here because this is an Arizona team that you can play well and lose. That they do a lot of things that give Cincinnati problems. Mainly, you can start with Noah Fafita. Their their excellent quarterback. He is the best quarterback in the Big Twelve with a clean pocket. Cincinnati is the worst defense in the Big Twelve getting pressure. He is also third in the Big Twelve against zone defense. Cincinnati runs more zone defense than any Power five program in the country, so that alone is reason to be scared of Arizona's offense. Defensively, they play a lot of man a man defense. Now, they don't get after the quarterback the way Utah did, but they look a lot more like Nebraska and Brendan's sours. We had a lot of problems with Nebraska. So Cincinnati's going to have to play really well to beat this Arizona team. And it's Scott Saderfield pointed out, they're sitting at six and three. They had YU down by ten with four minutes left in that game, and they lost to Houston on a walk off field goal could very well be eight and one.
Speaker 4: Wow, So chey, are there any more? I mean I had to buy week, but any more remnants still, you know, kind of present from from the Utah loss that makes people nervous of I guess in terms of how they played compared to the previous weeks where they're just rattling winds off.
Speaker 3: I mean, the biggest thing, Rocky is they were sloppy against Utah. They missed a field goal, they turned it over, they gave up a punt return touchdown. Like this is not you know, this is not the twenty twenty one Bearcats where they were so supremely talented that it didn't really matter if they weren't on their a game at all times. This is a team that's talented and has some very good pieces, but there's not a lot of separation between them and the other teams that they're playing in the league. So they have to play well. They have to play clean. They can't turn the ball over, they can't be you know, they've been great on special teams all the way up until that Utah game. They've got to get back to that. They've got to value the football. They've got to get moving on offense. They're way too many three and outs against Utah. You know, those are just the things that kind of you know, have bogged this team down in their two losses and things that they've been excellent at in their seven wins. Like there's no middle ground. It doesn't feel like with this team they're either really clean or boy, it's a mess.
Speaker 2: What are the chances we see any chance we see Evan Pryor.
Speaker 3: I think there's a chance. I mean, I think it's going to be one of those true like get them out there Saturday morning and see how the ankle feels and see if he can go. If I had to guess just from being around this forever, it feels like one of those. He was close, but we're gonna hold him out until next week situations right, Like it's an ankle. I think it's one of those. You know, you're probably rushing him back if you are little if you play him this week, so and you know it's gonna help that. I think Kylie Walker should be back to one hundred percent. That should help out. He wasn't against Utah. That's why he only had one carry in the second half. But I would say I would say probably thirty forty percent chance we see Evan, But you know that's going to depend on how it how it progresses the rest of the week, and how it feels Saturday morning.
Speaker 2: Chad, as you know, and I highly recommend those listening check it out. Kegan Nicholson wrote an outstanding piece for Bearcat Journal Dot com about the Bearcat general manager Zach Grant, the director of player personnel Jack Griffith, kind of you know, the impact they've had in the approach they've taken looking to find an edge in this day and age of the changing landscape of college football. What has impressed you about the impact and the fingerprints they have on this program.
Speaker 3: I think the most impressive thing to me is there's not the ego factor in that job that you get with a lot of people that are casked with doing that right, A lot of people just full bravado, come in, We're gonna compete, and we're gonna we're gonna go after the same players that Ohio State and Georgia and Alabama and LSU were going after. You're not gonna win. You're not gonna win those battles, and then you're gonna spend your time spending your tires on getting involved with kids that ultimately aren't gonna play at your school. So they said, Okay, let's go a little bit of a different direction. Let's figure out the kids that we think through. I think the number was they evaluated this is a crazy number guys. From the time the twenty twenty four portal cycle ended to the time the twenty twenty five portal cycle opened. As a staff, they watched twenty one thousand prospects with no guarantee that a single one of them was ever going to go into the portal. But they wanted to be ready because what happens in a lot of places is their reactionary. Okay, this kid's name comes up in the portal. All right, let's start doing our research and then you're making quick, rash decisions. These guys are saying, Okay, that kid's name popped up in the portal. Okay, here's the file that we have on that kid. Is he somebody we're interested in? Yes? No? Do we go? Do we not go? So they did all the backwork and they put in all the legwork, and Zach Grant talks about a great kid that in there was like a lot of people use like Jack Griffith. They use them as like an advanced scout, and he spends all his time every week preparing this file for the coaching staff and an advanced scout for the game that you're going to play. The coaching staff takes the file, sets it on the death sets thank you, never opens it you're just wasting time. So instead of wasting time, let's get into the weeds and watch these kids that we feel like can help us. And the number is crazy that twenty one portal guys in the twenty twenty five portal class, eighteen of them are contributing on this roster this year. That's an insane hit rate.
Speaker 2: Wow, you can absolutely all right. I got to ask you about the basketball side of this and the performance over dayton a win. We know the storyline, it's a win. It's twenty four turnovers as well. I know, and I don't have a time for another headache with the most free throws. Here's what jumped out to me. And I get I get some of the turn by some of the players, But when you have Cresa and dayda A Thomas, who have a combined five thousand minutes of Division one basketball, how did they combine to turn it over eight times in that game? That's what joed out to me. Like that can't happen, big man, Okay, turnovers, freshmen, maybe turnovers. Those experienced guys they should be turning it over eight times.
Speaker 3: They shouldn't be. But to be fair, they're also playing on a team that is new and these guys have never played together. That was you know, you would hope, here's the thing that disappointed me a little bit. You would hope that some of that got worked out in those two high level exhibition games that you scheduled against Arkansas and Michigan. It didn't seem like it did. But less his teams have not been turnover pro so that at least to me, is a sign that he is going to be able to coach some of that out of them. You know what it felt like to me, Lance It felt like they were trying to skip steps in the offense, didn't it. Like you've got the ball on the left wing, the goal is to get the ball to the right corner, and instead of going through the steps to get the ball to the right corner, they were just throwing one handed passes to the right corner and there's a Dayton defender standing there waiting on it. Like that is something I think that is going to come with a little bit of time. But also those guys are way too experienced to be throwing passes that stupid, Like they were just dumb on probably eight of the twenty four turnovers. Like I just scratched my head and said, what what did you think was gonna happen right when you tried to make that pass? So, yes, it needs to get better. Here's the thing I think that impressed me Lance the most about that game, The main thing I will take away from it. They had a pretty good lead the entire night, and then Dayton gets the two and ones and then the Alijub dunk they cut it to two. Last year's team would have crumbled, yes, agreed, they would have fallen apart almost instantly. And instead, in the next two minutes since and Natty went on a twelve to two run, they made smart plays, they were aggressive, they attacked, and all of a sudden, that two point game was back to a twelve point game, and it was never really in doubt the rest of the way. The big differentiator that they looked for in this offseason was getting some of that toughness, that bearcat toughness back, and that to me showed some of it. It showed that they weren't gonna wilt when things got tough, and they showed some of that in that Michigan exhibition too, where they had a big lead, Michigan storm back and Cincinnatty was able to hold him off. So that's at least a little bit of a good sign for me that there's a little bit more intestinal fortitude in this group than the one we saw a year ago.
Speaker 2: All Right, So listeners should check out Keegan's piece on Zach Grant and Jack Grippa. Tell everybody what else you got going on at Bearcat Journal dot com.
Speaker 3: I signed him a new one last night. It's going to be in the work, so I don't know when exactly it's going to come out, but I'm gonna have Keegan dig into the story of Tyler McKinley because I think he has been a really pleasant surprise for fans this year with how he has played in his first action as a red shirt freshman. He's always wanted to be a Bearcat. He got his chance. He was almost there last year, got hurt in the preseason, missed the entire year. I don't know what his minutes would have looked like if Jalen Haynes was still healthy. So the door opened for Tyler McKinley and he's kicking it in and I love that kid. It went to Walnut Hills. He's just an awesome, awesome young man, and I'm excited for Kegan to get to tell that story. So that one's coming up here, probably in the next couple weeks.
Speaker 2: Excellent, look forward to it. He is Chad Brendel, Bearcat Journal, bearcat Journal dot com. Thank you, sir, We'll talk next week.
Speaker 3: Thanks gentlemen, talk to you. So do it.