Speaker 1: Money, money, money smell that fresh money news is being served. This is the Boomburn money minute on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, we say good morning to Dan Schwartzman, of course, a pride of Ohio University and appens Ohio.
Speaker 3: How are you, young man? Hopoll's well with you this morning?
Speaker 4: Ah, fantastic, It's great getting up at two forty five in the morning.
Speaker 2: There is no question, a feeling like no other. Meanwhile, two budget airlines could be merging soon.
Speaker 4: That's right, Tom sources telling Bloomberg that Spirit Airlines is holding talks with rival Frontier about a possible airline merger. A transaction could be announced as soon as this month, although discussions could end up without a deal. A merger with Frontier would mark a significant step for Spirit, which is bankrupt for the second time in a year. It comes as ultra low cost carriers are struggling with rising costs and fierce competition from larger airlines, and it.
Speaker 2: Looks like Ford will continue its move away from EV's.
Speaker 4: Ford that's right canceling a six and a half billion dollar agreement to purchase batteries from LG after the automaker roll back its electric vehicle ambitions. The move comes after Ford announced it would take close to twenty billion dollars in charges tied to a major overhaul of its EV business, while also saying you would end plans to make an electric F series truck after struggling for years to make it profitable. So for it's saying, let's take a step back from this EV stuff right now, all right, Danny in the futures this morning, still in the green down, not really moving much. It's still up two tenths of one percent, SMP's up about a third to one percent, and Nasseak currently is up four tens a one percent from Bloomberg. Dan Schwartzman on news Radio seven hundred.
Speaker 2: WLW already eight oh nine on the morning show seven hundred WLW for those if you weren't with us earlier. I was out doing a little Christmas shopping over the weekend and just happened to run into our guest who is a native Buckeye, if you will, Karen Laverty. She worked in the financial world for a many, many many years, and she chose to start a financial blog dedicated to women, which led to writing two financial books for women, and one is called a woman's place is in the market. The other called the Little Black Dress of finance, and Karen Laberty joins us. Now, Karen, good morning, How in the world what made you decide you wanted to write books specifically dedicated to women about investments and money.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Tom.
Speaker 6: How are you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great? How you doing?
Speaker 5: I do really good? So thanks for having me on. As far as why did I write the books? I actually, you know, once again, just like you said, I worked for Fidelity for over thirteen years. Then I did a financial blog to help women and so forth. It led me to writing two books. So why write the books and things? I actually they approached it from two different angles. First of all, we had a daughter at the time that was graduating college, you know, and you know, herself and her friends and so forth. They're all graduating, getting jobs and things, and I wasn't really sure. You know, do they know what a four one K is? Do they know what a general broker's account is? Do they know how to get started in life with their finances? Getting started, having some knowledge, getting off on the right track and so forth is incredibly important. Then on the other end of the spectrum, my mother in law and missus celebrity. She was one of the nicest people you'd ever meet. I say it all the time that if she's not in heaven, I don't stand a chance. But it's so true though. She was an incredibly nice person. But her husband did all their finances well. He passed away first. So, you know, being her daughter in law and in the business and so forth, I offer to help. It's like being a detective, you know, and it really made me feel protective of her. That left her very vulnerable. She didn't know where the money was. She didn't know how she was getting her income, didn't know what it was invested in, you know, didn't know the rambifications if you took it out of one account versus another one. So both ends of the spectrum, my daughter's just getting out of school, her and her friends, you know, getting started in life. And then on the other end, my mother in law.
Speaker 2: You know, I found it, though, in our conversation, very interesting. And this is basically in a nutshell, but you found yourself oftentimes, you know, you might go to a Christmas party, you might go to a Fourth of July party and the guys are standing around and they're talking about stocks, all the terminology, money, investments, et cetera, et cetera, and you notice that a lot of women are just kind of off to the sidelines.
Speaker 3: Is that accurate, Oh, without a doubt.
Speaker 5: It's the same with you know, I worked at FIDELDI and a number of different capacities. Started out as a trader, you know, and at the time the internet, you couldn't trade on the internet, so everybody was calling in and yeah, it's all the guys calling in. And it was right before the dot com bubble burst, so they're all trading this and that and so forth. And the women seem very intimidated.
Speaker 7: It.
Speaker 5: Even when I met with couples in my office and things, the women were never involved. They just that I know, there's a lot of acronyms in this, there's a lot of you know, is it an EFT or an ATF. You know, there's a lot of terminology that can seem very intimidating. You know, they just don't want they're afraid of things. But really, women actually are very good investors. They're a little bit more on the costas side, So I would encourage them to take a little bit more risk than they're comfortable with. But I want to make sure that women are empowered and they need to know this. You don't have to be an expert. You don't have to be you know, writing uncover book contracts or day trading, but you do need to know a general general knowledge of investing, different account types, investing types. It's very important.
Speaker 2: You know, what's interesting is and I had a conversation with a business owner about this, a business owner that has to do with people who have a decent amount of money, and you know, with sharing with me that in reality, and you've forgotten more about this stuff than I'll ever know. But in reality, in most households, not all, but in most households, the women are the ones that are either a in charge of the family finances, whether it's paying bills, et cetera, or they're the ones that are making big decisions on how to spend the money. So it would only make sense that women would get more involved in what we're doing with some of these money and what we're going to need down the road.
Speaker 5: Without a doubt. I mean a lot of times women are very transactional with it. They're the ones paying the bills, they have to check book and things and then but they kind of delegate the investing part of it, you know, whether they have somebody manage their money, or their husband does it, their dad does it, their brother does it, and so forth. But it ain't a different world. Women make more money, yep, you know, they're out in the workforce. It's a different world, and it's very important for them to have a knowledge of this. Once again, it's okay to have somebody else manage your money, but you have to know what you own. You have to know what account types you need to know, you know, take the money out of this? Is there a tax contract? Are there rules on the account? What account benefits me the best? You know, these are very important things to know.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: What I find interesting is and I wish that you would have written this book, these books when my mom. I grew up in a single parent household, my mom working two jobs. She didn't know anything about this stuff. But like you said, I mean even the most basic things. And I'm assuming that in the book you cover basically two or three of the most important things that a woman without a ton of education can simply learn what to do and how.
Speaker 7: To do it.
Speaker 5: Oh, definitely, And you know, what I come from kind of the same world that I come from a family full of men. My dad had five boys. There's five boys in his family and one girl. And all the boys are the one all the men are the ones. They all handle the money. None of my aunts knew anything about me, which once again, it leaves them very vulnerable. You know, their husbands, if their fast has passed away, they don't know anything. Why is that a good thing? Why is that's not a good plan? You know? For all the men that think that you know, I'm helping my family, I'm doing the planning, I'm doing the investing. You need to involve your spouse in this as well, and women, you need to get engaged in it without a doubt.
Speaker 2: And your books can be found on Amazon. The Little Black Dress of Finance and A Woman's Place is in the market. Both of those you can find on Amazon. And tell me about Karen Laverty And by the way, Karen is spelled with a C C A r E N Laverty l A V E r t y dot com. What would one expect to find at Karen Laverty dot com?
Speaker 8: You know what?
Speaker 5: I tried to make this well? At my blog you can read little sections of the book and so forth, and you can also purchase my book on my website. But the thing that I try to do is make this very approachable for women. And you will find the books are not long, very easy to read. There's like eighty pages, and you will find that I have a shoe fetish. I try and use shoes as example a lot of times in the books. I try to make this as easy as I possibly could. You know, for women, it's very approachable.
Speaker 2: Well, you're speaking their language, right, I mean, men and women speak the same language in some ways, but you're speaking their language specifically, which is a huge, huge plus.
Speaker 5: Definitely. I mean my daughter actually helped me write some of the passages as well as my son. And you know, my son is now a wealth advisor at marri Lynch. But it was fun to go through some of it, especially when I use shoes as an example with my daughter, you know, I go true. Yeah, some examples like dividing your expenses between essential expenses and discretionary expenses, and you know, Valentino Rockstead shoes made the essential expenses in her mind exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, Karen, I can't thank you enough for your time. It was a pleasure to meet you the other day. A Merry Christmas to you and your family, and I hope you have a great holiday season.
Speaker 5: Well likewise, and thank you so much for having me on.
Speaker 2: All right, Karen Laverty, you can find her at Karen with a C. Laberty lavrt y Karenlaberty dot com. All right, let's check the roadways out there and see how we're rolling along. Chuck Ingram been pretty busy as you suspected it might be, Yeah, sir, sure has.
Speaker 6: And a couple of places getting a little bit better, like eastbound two seventy five because they clear of the wreck above the Reagan Highway, so traffic's clearing out from seventy four. However, there's a couple of spots that are now getting heavy once again. This from the UC Help Traffic Center. U See Cancer Center offers advanced surgical options for complex liver and pancreatic cancers and clinical trials you won't find anywhere else. Get a second opinion now called five one, three, five eight five U SECC one is South Bend seventy one. There's a new accident just below two seventy five. That's where the break lights start. From there and continue down to Red Bank and now northbound seventy one a wreck that blocks the right lane just above two seventy five. I'm not seeing a huge delay there as of yet. Cruise continue to work with the wreck outside of Milford on twenty eight at branchil Guiney hand us a wreck on ready at Gabreth Chuck Ingram News Radio seven hundred WALW all right.
Speaker 2: Our WCPO nine First Warning Forecast presented by Cameron hard And It's a beautiful morning, going to be a beautiful day, sunshine and we're up to forty five degrees tonight, we're down to thirty three tomorrow fifty four chants of rain and then tomorrow night coldfront comes through. We're down to twenty three degrees. High of thirty one on Friday. Should be dry though over the weekend with temperatures up into the mid to upper forties coming up. In the next half hour, it's plain Glass, Stained Glass with Pastor Chad Hogan, how Christmas is a season of bringing us all together, and he'll talk about the documentary that just came out with Kevin Kostner eight twenty one WLW.
Speaker 3: Any time to.
Speaker 1: Jeckob your financial like This is the Bloomberg market menus on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: Good Morning Tom.
Speaker 4: This week started with an optimistic take from the homebuilding business, as the latest industry sentiment index showed an uptick. The news now, though isn't as rosie as a number two home builder, Lenar is forecasting fewer homes sold this quarter than the market was expecting. The company points to affordability pressures and the weakening job market pushing home buyers to the sidelines. SpaceX employees have been told to refrain from commenting on the company's plans for an IPO in accordance with the US Securities and Exchange Commission as a company enters a regulatory quiet period. SpaceX is looking to raise significantly more than thirty billion dollars in a transaction that would value the company at around one and a half trillion dollars, which would be the biggest listing of all time. Oil rally from its lowest closed in almost half a decade as the US blockades sanctioned ankers off Venezuela and prepares new measures against Russia. Oil, though remains on track for a yearly loss from Bloomberg, Dan Schwartzman on news radio seven hundred.
Speaker 2: WLW alrighty eight forty on the morning show here on seven hundred WLW. We do it each and every Wednesday of this time, playing Glass Stained Glass and our friend Pastor Chad Hooven from the Horizon Community Church right there in Newtown along the banks of the Little Miami River.
Speaker 3: Pastor Chad, good morning to you, sir. I hope you're well.
Speaker 7: Good marn Tom, I'm doing great.
Speaker 3: How about so doing great?
Speaker 2: No complaints? You know Christmas and you and I have talked about this. We talked about it right before Thanksgiving on how holidays can can be very very.
Speaker 3: Stressful to people.
Speaker 2: But yes, you suggest that actually Christmas time can help us deal with stress, Well.
Speaker 7: Definitely can.
Speaker 8: And even if you have a cursory knowledge of Christmas and the story of you know what God did at Christmas. It's a story that God came and adapted himself to us.
Speaker 7: So think about God as a multi.
Speaker 8: Dimensional being beyond time and space, and he was willing to come in the form of a child, and just think if that's true. Right, I believe it's true, But if someone doesn't, if it was true that the God who made all the universe and holds all the planets and all the atoms, adapted to you in such a dramatic way, then you might say, wow. I mean, if God did that for me, then maybe I could adapt slightly to my crazy uncle or my cousin or my relative is driving me crazy. So it's kind of a call to adapt, which is, if God adapted to me, maybe I can adapt to others. It's also call for reconciliation, where you think about what family doesn't need a little bit more reconciliation. Somebody not to hold some bitterness, somebody to maybe get over something significantly happened, but it's time to move on. Well, the whole story of Christmas is the story of reconciliation. God wanted to reconcile with us. Honestly, we weren't taking the first step, so He took the first step. I had that I haven't talked to my sister in law for fifteen years after a big conflict that happened. I'd reconciled with my brother, as we mentioned, four or five months ago, but not my sister in law and my wife and I decided, you know what, this is the year we're going to do it, and honestly, because it's the right thing to do, not quite the motivation we needed. It'll be good for you. Maybe what really motivated us to hit FaceTime video and have that conversation was, you know what, God adapted and God reconciled with us when we did a whole lot worse to him.
Speaker 7: Let's do it.
Speaker 8: And so after about an hour conversation, for the first time in fifteen years, you know, we've now got a full path for families to get together again for Christmas.
Speaker 7: And it was tough.
Speaker 8: It was a tough conversation, and yet we felt like the spirit of Christmas is I want to do unto others what God did to me.
Speaker 2: I want to tackle a couple of well known actors that you've talked about recently in some of your sermons here and around Christmas. Let's start with Jimmy Stewart and his father who sent him Psalm ninety one when he went off to war. And then Jimmy Stewart talking about why he got so cheerful during the filming of Its Wonderful Life.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know Jimmy Stewart.
Speaker 8: We know him often from Its Wonderful Life and of those other wonderful movies. He was a brigadier general as well and disembombing in World War Two, and he had a lot of PTSD, so that you know shows up in some of the movies. But when he went off to war, his father was a real strong Christian believer in God in the Bible, and so he sent a little personal note that said, Hey, in the middle of this madness, I want you to know you can trust God to be your tower, your refuge, and the one that will guide you in the midst of this. He saved the sem a copy of Psalm ninety one as kind of the source of strength you would have in the middle of the madness of war. But after his filming of its Wonderful Life is that moment he gets real cheerful. He's crying out God and I need your help. If you're really up there, I just need you to step in. And he later Jimmy Stewart said he just felt in that moment the hearts of so many who feel like in life, let alone Christmas time, that they're having one to turn to, the real sense of emptiness and real sense of what's meaning, what's purpose, and that in that moment he felt like he was channeling those who didn't have access to that purpose and really felt that and he realized that's really the call of Christmas, is that we all are calling out for God to be with us. And even one of Jesus' nicknames is Immanuel, which means God with us. If you're going through grieving this Christmas and you need some comfort, God with us, He'll be your comfort. If you're looking for someone who can take the manure of life, and life certainly throws a plenty of manure at us and turn into fertilizer for new growth.
Speaker 7: And that's a story of Christmas.
Speaker 8: And he's even born into a cave or an animal's stall.
Speaker 7: With the newer everywhere.
Speaker 8: And look at the incredible story of purpose and meaning that he brings out of the manure that he's born into.
Speaker 2: You know, recently, Kevin Koshner, he just released a documentary on Christmas where he talks about his faith and you can find this on Disney Plus, but basically talk about how he walked through the entire Christmas story from start to finish.
Speaker 7: Yeah, really interesting.
Speaker 8: He begins, it's a documentary and the Nancy's talking.
Speaker 7: There's some scenes that things are acted out and in general is really good. One.
Speaker 8: He begins by talking about his first acting debut. Let's playing an angel or playing with a wiseman in a Nativity scene. In one big line, hark, and he missed it because his turbine kept falling over his head. He said his love of acting began there. And he kept just periodically through the play saying hark again again, because you know, I missed the big moment.
Speaker 7: But he kind of walks through that.
Speaker 8: Many people have thought that Christmas is a.
Speaker 7: Is a miss or is a nice.
Speaker 8: Story, like a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. He kind of roots it in the history and shows this really happened. It happened in the facts. He shows you kind of what was going on during that time period. One of the things he highlights is King Herod, and King Herod is like a footnote in the Christmas story, and yet King Herod is probably one of the most powerful men who've ever lived. They did a great job of describing this historic figure. If you've ever been to Israel or heard of Israel, you know the Jewish Temple is built on this giant mount that was built by King Herod, the guy trying to.
Speaker 7: Kill Jesus Masada.
Speaker 8: Have you ever heard of or seen pictures of Masada massive rocket by the dead sea. The guy built eleven swimming pools and a fully functional sauna in the middle of.
Speaker 7: A desert at six pc.
Speaker 8: Guy was an unbelievable engineer. He ran this spice factory. I've been to this Herod's spice factory and actually the wise men would have gone right past that spice factory as part of the trade route up. He also built this massive place called Ceser and maritime. Bottom line is they did a great job of describing him and showing the evidence of Herod as a historic figure, that Jesus was born to the days of that was the most powerful man in the world, probably next to the Caesar at the time, probably one of those wealthy people who ever lived. And he's the one trying to kill Jesus. And then they kind of get into his mania and all historians show what a maniac he is.
Speaker 7: So scared somebody's going to take his.
Speaker 8: Kingdom from him, he killed off his son. They got a scene in the documentary where it shows him killing off his son in in the hot tub together, which he killed many of his sons and many of his wives. And what of his wives throws herself off I think it's Masada and kills herself rather than stay with her husband.
Speaker 7: That's also an active there.
Speaker 8: They want you to see this guy who's going after Jesus was tyrannical and was suspicious and paranoid. So when those wives men show up and say, hey, good news, there's a new king.
Speaker 9: In town, this is like the worst guy could ever say that too, And they also show that, you think in the Christmas story we kind of have all this nostalgia around it, but there's a lot of tragedy.
Speaker 8: I mean, he then kills off all the boys in Bethlehem trying to get after Jesus.
Speaker 7: So I thought they did a mess.
Speaker 8: This incredible job of showing that God was born into this world with pain and suffering and difficulty, he's on the run from Herod and in the middle that God enters into our pain and shows that he's willing to not watch.
Speaker 7: From a distance.
Speaker 8: But as John Osborne used to say in her song, you know what, if God was one of us, he became the story. And so then you get to see Mary and Joseph kind of what was like in their lives during those days. It gives you a little cultural feel for what it was like for their patrol the period. How devastated Joseph was when he heard the news and the angel piers him. The really great historic and inspirational pieces to it, and quite frankly, toward the end, Kevin Costler says, many people believe that he died rose from the dead to I'm one of those, So I was surprised, and how are how kind of happed there he was and articulating his belief in faith in Jesus' birth, his death, and his resurrection.
Speaker 2: We know for those who are non believers, and look, there are a lot of them out there driving around right now that might roll their.
Speaker 3: Eyes and all that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: But one thing that cannot be disputed is that Jesus was a real person who walked this earth just like you and I. And if you just read about the way he lived his life, and he really only ministered of his thirty three years on this earth, he really only ministered I think for about three years. So even if you don't believe in let's say the resurrection, okay, and you think a lot of this stuff is just total nonsense.
Speaker 3: It's a fairy tale.
Speaker 2: What cannot be disputed is that Jesus did live in this world and the things that he did while he was here. All of us, believer or non believer, can take a lot out of it, especially during this time.
Speaker 3: Of the year.
Speaker 8: Well without a doubt. And if you're just a fact person. Again, I see myself as a philosopher and a fact guy. You know the Great Isaiah Scroll, We have a copy of that because it does he scrolls at one hundred and twenty five BC.
Speaker 7: We know it's.
Speaker 8: Everything written in Isaiah written at seven hundred BC, but we have a complete copy of one twenty five BC.
Speaker 7: That's a fact of history.
Speaker 8: And in that book, one hundred years before Jesus, we have a copy of it. It predicts he will be born into the land of Zebulin enof Tally, that's the area need of ser Galley.
Speaker 7: That's where I'm side would come, where he's going to live.
Speaker 8: How he's going to be born, born of a virgin predicted one hundred years in advance. Who's going to come visit him? Rulers and kings from a non Jewish nations, bringing specific gifts of gold and of frankinsense that happens. Specifically, he'll be died by being pierced, you know, crucifixion, He'll be killed between other criminals. All of these are very specific, very detailed predictions. We have the and the facts of where he's going to live, how he's going to die, what he's going to talk, how he's going to talk, what his message is going to be. So I would just say, if you're a person who's into puzzles or archaeology or facts, this is more than just a story. There are actual concrete evidence that one can look at and one can say, wow, not only do you live an inspiring life, the life I wish I could be capable of living, but also the facts of history push me to look at the preponderance of evidence and say, I need to wrestle with whether or not this really happened, because how in the world do you predict in that level specificity that many details about any one human being hundreds of years in advance.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just so inspiring this time of year, and all of us have the things we have to deal with. Whether it's as you mentioned earlier, somebody in the family that we've had issues with and we're concerned about what might happen around the dinner table, or what might happen if we get into a discussion about this or that, whatever the case may be. But but you know this is this is just such a wonderful conversation to have this time of year and really every day of every year. So I wish you and your family, Pastor Chad, a very, very merry Christmas and can't wait to be with you on Christmas Eve.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all ten services will see, no.
Speaker 2: Kidding, all ten of them. They got going on, Pastor Chad oven. We call it plain glass, stained glass. We do it every single week on Wednesday at eight thirty. We always thank him for his time. And you know, look, there's no doubt about it that the holiday season there is a lot going on, a lot of hustle and bustle packed with activities. But maybe your energy is drained. Maybe it's time to feel festive when it can be tough to feel festive, and that could be a sign of low testosterone. And this happens to every guy, every single one of us out there. Starting in our thirties, we lose two to three percent of our testosterone production every single year, and we're thinking I'm just getting older.
Speaker 3: I'm just getting older. Look, Try Statement's Health.
Speaker 2: Are the experts in treating low T log Onto tristatemenshealth dot com. Book an appointment, You give them some blood, they run a testosterone test, and they run a PSA test. You'll get the lab work back within thirty minutes. You'll sit down with a licensed medical provider and talk about the results and your options. The cost of the appointment is ninety nine dollars. If you sign up for a testosterone treatment of the day of your appointment, then that visit is free. Tri Statement's Health has six locations, Cincinnati, Dayton two and Columbus. Those are in Hilliard and Westerville, Louisville and northern Kentucky. Call them today at one eight hundred, nine hundred nine and sixty five four or visit Tri Statemenshealth dot com. All right, one more check of the roadways, mister Chuck Ingram, how are things looking now?
Speaker 6: Looking just a little bit and I mean just a little bit better. On northbound four seventy one, there was an accident on the bridge. Police had all wanes blocked off for just a bit they just within the last couple of minutes they've opened up the right lane again, but this damage is done. You are backed up into Southgate the better part of an extra hour to try to get into downtown. This from the UC Health Tramphics Center u See Cancer Center offers advanced surgical options for complex liver and pancreatic cancers and clinical trials you won't find anywhere else. Got a second opinion now called five one three five e't five u secce northbound seventy five that continues slow out of Erlinger into the cut southbound seventy five. There's an accident on the ramped Cooper in the lock when split traffic is heavy through there opens up at the lateral and southbound seventy one break lights continue between Fifer and Redbank Chucking. From news Radio seven hundred wlw.
Speaker 2: OUR WCPO nine First Warning Forecast presented by Cameron Harden. It's a beautiful start to your day out there, and it's going to be a bright, beautiful sunny day. Up to forty five degrees tonight. We're down to thirty three tomorrow. There's a chance of rain. There'll be a lot of clouds. We are getting up to fifty four degrees tomorrow, but tomorrow night a cold front comes pouring in and temperatures will fall quickly. We're down to twenty three tomorrow night, are high on Friday is only thirty one, but then we warm back up again and we're in the mid to upper forties, dry for the entire weekend. We always close the show by saying thanks to our producer Danny Gleeson, and a reminder that you know what, one of the best Christmas gifts that you could get this year would be getting a shelter pet from your local animal shelter dog cat looking for a second chance. Your holidays will be better than they've ever been. I promise we'll look forward to catching up with you tomorrow. Salooni's coming up next. Eight fifty five, seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati,