Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American Idio Scott blown back seven hundred WLW headed into the weekend. How about them Bearcats, Dan Hord, Well, let's we should just talk about the Bearcats for the next twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: What do you think aren't prepared to discuss anything you want to discuss, Floni. The last time we did one of these segments, I think the Bengals were two and oh and we were riding hide by the fact that Joe Burrow had suffered an injury. But yeah, I'd love to.
Speaker 1: Discuss the Bearcats.
Speaker 2: They've got a chance to pop into the top twenty five if they can beat Iowa State tomorrow. They're a slight favorite against the number fourteen team in the country that has a five and oh record. So this is a chance to really get fans around the country and locally buzzing about the UC Bearcats, who might have something special brewing.
Speaker 1: I'll get in aside. It's been fun to watch, and god knows, I've had a few weeks now, Dan too, as I recouper rate to watch football, and Brandon Sorosby he bawled out against Kansas, But I think almost four hundred yards two passing touchdowns and and just to watch them move the ball seemingly at will, either through the air or on the ground, is absolutely refreshing. And Cincinnati, let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: The game when he turned twenty nine seconds to go, that was one of the more entertaining games I've seen in a long, long time. Twelve hundred yards of offense, fifty five first downs, neither team ever led by more than seven points. It was like Ali versus Fraser back in the day. Uppercuts being thrown by both teams, and Cincinnati landed the last punch. So that was great. And as for Brendan Soresby, one of these ESPN number crunching gurus this week, great at every quarterback in the country. He came out number six, so he's really playing well. The offensive line has been tremendous. They've given up just one sack so far this season. So here we go, huge game tomorrow, see if the Bearcats can maybe pop into the top twenty five.
Speaker 1: I think so simply because you know, you've got a number fourteen team in Iowa State that comes into town limping, because if you look at their defensive back and they're missing like what four or five guys. It was four or five defensive backs alone, and if you look at the Brendon Soersby and the offense, you don't want to see the backups certainly can't come and step up and fill that role. But boy, that's asking a lot of that team.
Speaker 2: And not only are they missing a lot of guys in the secondary, but they're missing really good players. Both of their starting outside corners are out for the year, and both of those guys were all Big twelve at some point over the last couple of years, so they're really good players. Iowa State plays the defense at Cincinnati, started playing last year the three three five, and it's you know, the success is based on the play of the secondary. There are a lot of guys back there on every play to confuse the quarterback. Iowa State is always among the national leaders in interceptions. They've got six so far this year. So when you start subtracting the best guys at the most important unit, that figures to hurt the team. And we'll see if the bearcatsk can capital tomorrow.
Speaker 1: It's always about capitalizing when the other team is down, and that then causes us to pivot to our Cincinnati Bengals losing last week to the Denver Broncos twenty eight to three. On Monday Night Football, Bengals fall to two and two and the three and one Lions, one of the Super Bowl favorites, comes to town and the Bengals open a league worst ten point dogs at home. Uh jeez, where do you start here? Obviously, the big question this week, and the tongues have been wagging, is you know Dan Horde about Jake Browning. Let's face it, the Jake Browning that we saw what two years ago when Burrow went down. Not the same not the same Browning we're seeing today. Three points, first drive, get a field goal, that's it for the game. And it's not like, you know, Denver is one of the bigger teams in the AFC. The cry has been, we need a quarter we need a new quarterback. Russell Wilson's a workout. Get Russell Wilson, get Kirk Cousins, somebody through Jameis Winston out there too, and coach Taylors dougas Hilson said, no, we're not doing it now. Is that? Is that a game to get? If the Bengals get blown out on Sunday Dan does that narrative.
Speaker 2: Change, who knows, you know, if Jake Browning continues to struggle the way he's played the last couple of weeks, and at some point they would have to consider a change, whether that's guys that they already have. You know, they picked up Sean Clifford, the former Saint Jager High school quarterback a couple of weeks ago. That got Mike White, who's bounced around with a lot of NFL teams. So they've got other quarterbacks in the building right now that they could turn to, and Jake has to play better to keep his job. Let me push back on one thing that you said, Flowy. I do think Denver is one of the better teams in the AFC. You know, they're two and two, but they lost two games on walkoff field goals. They've got a seven game home winning streak, and it was a primetime game at night, so that's a tough game to win. Now, should it have been as lopsided as it was, of course not. The offense was, you know, non functional after the opening drive where they kicked the field goal, and that's really been the biggest problem. The offense just has done nothing. They can't hold onto the ball. They haven't been able to run the ball, so they're gonna have to get that fixed in a hurry. Jake did play well the first game he came in for Joe. He threw three interceptions, but he did help them score thirty one points in a win over Jacksonville. It's the Bengals only home game so far, so we'll see hopefully in Hombold they'll play a lot better on Sunday and maybe pull off a big upset, much like the forty nine ers did last night. I think San Francisco is about an eight point underdog last night, and they beat the Rams in LA, so it can be done.
Speaker 1: My take with that is Russell Wilson, Okay, or Kirk Cousins or Winston. You know, we saw plenty of Russell Wilson. It's not the same Russell Wilson who dominated the NFL for the better part of a decade. I think you're gonna lose. Maybe the end result is less embarrassing, Dan, but Russell Wilson is going to come in with a cape and learn that playbook. In the period of a week or two, and all of a sudden, the Bengals are going to be in playoff contention that that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: I mean, Russell Wilson. I see these, you know, posts on social media the Bengals have interest in Russell Wilson. Maybe proved me wrong, but I just don't see that one at all. I mean, of all the veteran names that have been tossed about, Jameis Winston doesn't excite me, although he's tremendously entertaining. Yeah, but you know, if you want to add to your career pick six totals, that's your guy.
Speaker 1: Kirk. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, Kirk Cousins I think can still really play now. I don't know about the contract ramifications because he got a huge deal from Atlanta before they drafted Michael Pennix, and Pennix is really struggling. So it's probably not out of the question that the Falcons are going to turn back to Kirk Cousins at some point. But again, I'm not really placing all of the blame here on Jake Browning. The offensive line has really struggled. That's where it begins. The offensive line has to perform better, and you know they've turned to two rookies now starting at guard I'm kind of enthused about Jalen Rivers. He had his up and down moments, certainly against Denver, but at least he's a guy they can give you some push in the running game. I thought he did that pretty well actually on Monday Night. Or more struggles in pass protection than run blocking, but they got to get the running game going. And if he's a guy that can get some push and right guard, sign me up.
Speaker 1: Let's see if.
Speaker 2: They can develop two young offensive linemen. Can that can be part of this line going forward?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, and that interior it's just been you and you wonder how much of that is just the problem that exists when you, okay, lose QB one in Joe Burrow, and Joe Burrow covered up a lot of mistakes, as we know, on a lot of problems with this team. They got exposed in that line certainly doesn't help at all. But if they could help Chase run the ball a little bit better, I mean, just a few more yards of carry, that would certainly help a lot. I don't know if it's going to matter. It seems like the lines though, Dan there, they are.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable, especially on offense. Yeah, you know, they're averaging thirty four points a game. They're number one in the NFL. They averaged thirty three last year. That was number one in the NFL. Green Bay held them to say, thirteen points in Week one. The Packers won that game by fourteen, and they did it by exposing the inside of the Lions offensive line. They've got changes at left guard, center, and right guard. So early, at least it was problematic. Over the last three weeks it hasn't been. But if you can attack that team and hold them to a reasonable number, I think it begins with dominating the inside part of their offensive line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so much for the talk about losing their coordinators in the offseason. And Ben Johnson goes to the Bears, right, that looked like that other than the first in Week one. You know, you mentioned Green Bay. But Week one is always like an anomaly in the NFL until you settle that pattern. Now week five, we've got a bit of a plan. Now we can see how teams have evolved, and certainly the Lions felt like they picked up where they left up. They don't seem as sharp as they did last year, but again it's still relatively early in the season.
Speaker 2: They scored fifty two in week two against the Bears. They certainly certainly.
Speaker 3: Looked sharp there.
Speaker 2: And they scored thirty four last week against the Browns. And we know how good the Browns defense is.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I will say in that game against Cleveland Denver, I'm sorry Detroit had a punt return touchdown. They had a lot of short fields because the Browns offense was so bad, so that contributed to scoring thirty four. But still thirty four against the Browns defense, to me, is like forty five against anybody else.
Speaker 1: Voice of All Sports in Cincinnati, Dan Hord on the show on seven hundred WLW turnovers and penalties and consecutive games. Now two weeks it was turnovers this lest we it was penalty after penalty. I mean, it was so frustrating, and I'm sure you and Lapp had to be frustrated to be unbelief Clonbeck game, going another flag on the field and it's going to go against let me guess, the Bengals. It felt like at one point it was just raining yellow on the field in Denver. And the cry from the coaching staff is no more self inflicted errors. But now we've had a pattern of self inflicted errors, and it makes a fan wonder, Dan Horde, what's it going to be this week? What's the problem there. It's just the fact that you're you're getting blown out that guys are not you know, they're not they're not handling their business individually. Is that what it is? Is it that simple?
Speaker 2: Well, it's two completely different issues in those two games. So the turnovers to me, those are physical errors and then in the Denver game penalties those are mental errors. So it's two different things. You got to get rid of them this week. You know, Snowballs is the point, no doubt. I mean, when a game gets lopsided, all of its snowballs, it's the giant snowball rolling down the hill getting bigger and bigger and bigger. And that's what happens in the lopsided games. Uh So they've got to try to you know, let's let's make it a one score game going to the fourth quarter and see if you can pull it out at home. In last week's game, I thought they played great in the first quarter, scored on their opening drive, held Denver to a three and out. First time they're on defense. It was seven to three Denver early in the second quarter, they complete that long pass to Tee down to the fourteen yard line, so it looks like it's going to be you know, maybe ten seven Cincinnati at worst seven to six.
Speaker 1: Denver.
Speaker 2: And then that long pass got wiped out by a penalty. All right, that happens. You know, it sucks, but it's no big deal. And then before they snapped the ball again, another penalty, and then after I think one play, another penalty. They had four penalties in a two minute span, and to me, that really killed them in that game. And it's easy to say, well, it shouldn't it's early second quarter, but it did. And they have to avoid, you know, like you said, the snowball getting bigger and bigger when something bad goes against them.
Speaker 1: And you know, we saw that to some degree with Jake Browning and how many times and maybe you didn't see it, but I'm sure after watching, you know, watching the tape, he saw the cuts of the sideline. But the night football and here's Jimar Chase rolling is I mean, how many times was he open? I mean dead open? That score can bet a lot different, especially early on, but Jake Browning just simply couldn't find him or couldn't see him. And that's my fears. You start to lose, you know, the guys go, well, what are we doing out here? I've got no chance whatsoever, and maybe start to not play as hard and now you have a detrimental you have that effect going on. And that's that's my biggest fear, going back to the quarterback if if a change is not made. But you know, okay, great, you get Russell Wilson or Jamis Winston. Is that really going to change much other than maybe the narrative for a week or two other side of the ball. And when you start losing as badly as the Bengals have been, you start, you know, people start pointing the finger. Okay, well what about on defense? What about Christian Wilkins. Now there's a name that's come up to what if you start listening to folks climbing for somebody like Christian Wilkins. There's a reason that even the Raiders let him go. You don't want that guy in our locker.
Speaker 4: Room, do you.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, he was a great talent, but like you said, he's getting He got a huge contract from the Raiders and they don't want him so that says a lot make me too excited to make that pick up. Yeah, you know, if I'm a Bengals fan, I get the frustration, but I wouldn't be pining. I wouldn't be pining for any of the veteran names that you mentioned, whether it's quarterback, whether it's defensive line. That's not the issue. The issue is getting these top one hundred draft picks that they have selected in the last four years to either play better and realize that they are part of your future or come to the conclusion they're not going to cut it and we will have to make significant changes at those spots next year. So I hate to you know, already be looking ahead to next year's draft. I don't think we're there yet, but I do think it's very important to know exactly what you've got with the nine top one hundred draft picks that they've selected on defense in the last four years. So it is time to put up and shut up, or put up or shut up if you are you know, name one, Cam Taylor, Brick, Miles Murphy, whatever, these guys that were select to be a big part of their future, particularly on defense. With the money that you're spending on offense. That's what they've got to find out right now.
Speaker 1: Well, CTB was atrocious last week, and you know, I'll just say he's got to have a bounce back. I don't know how he doesn't have a bounce back game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, he was only in for five snaps and two of them featured him whipping trying to tackle Courtland Sutton. So he's going to get his chance to bounce back this week, There's no doubt about it, and I hope he does. He was bad in week one, yep, good in week two. I thought he played well against Jacksonville. Injured in week three and I don't know how much that injury affected him in week four, but again five snaps and pulled out of the game after two really bad ones. He was battling a hamstring injury. He was apparently sick one day last week. So I'll cut him a little bit of slack. But he's got to bounce back and have a good game this week.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Outside you mentioned injuries outside of a Burrow obviously and Shamar Stewart, who would like to see more of because that's a very small sample size. Bell the Bengals are relatively injury free at this point. Just look at the eye report. Noah fan Charlie Jones showed up on what yesterday, I don't know about I don't know about yesterday's report, but Wednesday anyway, and I don't know if that's good or bad. Dan. I mean, if you looked at it, kind of like we we talked about Iowa stayed and now banged up they are, It's like, hey, you got excuses if you lose. If everyone outside QB one is relatively healthy, you don't have any excuses there. What's the injury report going into this weekend?
Speaker 2: Look like Shamar Stewart won't play unfortunately, so that'll be three games in a row for him, and that hurts because he was playing well before he hurt his angle. I think Noah Fant is back. He had a concussion that caused him to miss the previous game, but he's been trending up this week. Charlie Jones seems unlikely. He hurt his hams during He didn't care it, but he heard it in the game on Monday night in Denver. So I think they'll be missing a couple of guys. But as you mentioned, you know four weeks into an NFL season, All things considered, they're doing pretty well injury wise. As for the Lions, their best cornerback DJ Reid went on injured reserve this week. He heard his hamstring last week in Cleveland, so he's out. Their other outside corner, Terry and Arnold, is dealing with a shoulder issue, so I think he's likely to play, but he might be less than one hundred percent. He hasn't been playing very well anyway, so they do have a weakness at cornerback, and you know, hopefully if Jake Browning has time, they'll be able to take advantage of it. With Jamar and t that's where you got to try to attack Detroit, and with their cornerbacks injured, maybe they can.
Speaker 1: I don't know. But the problem is Jake Browning throwing the ball more than ten or fifteen yards. Sure he will.
Speaker 2: He was throwing a downfield early in that game against Denver. They were trying to attack Riley Moss, the same guy that they had so much success attacking last year when the Broncos came to pay Course Stadium. So he'll throw it downfield, but again it begins with protection. I'm more concerned about Jake Browning dropping back, hitting his third step or fifth step and not having somebody in his face than I am about Jake throwing the ball.
Speaker 1: It is going to be. I'm not looking forward tomorrow's matchup with the Bearcats. Dan Horde, voice of the Bengals, voice of the Bearcats, jumps on the show every Friday morning to chop it up. But I'm my fingers are crossed. Maybe, just maybe, I don't know if the line's coming and lay An Egg. I don't know what to think at this point, Dan, I really really don't Other than God, we need some help. Danny, thanks for coming on this morning. All the best, lonely, one thing, one thing before you let me go. Yes, Green Bay lost to Cleveland two weeks ago. It's the NFL. It's a week to week league.
Speaker 2: So no matter how bleak it seems, on any given Friday, when we discuss the upcoming game, we might be celebrating and talking about a joyous Bengles victory next week.
Speaker 1: At least we have long term hope. You know, at some point, Burrow, it may be late this season, maybe next year we'll come back. Cleveland has they're completely out of options. Twenty five quarterbacks since what nineteen ninety nine, and you've got Sugar Sanders doing I don't know, press talking to the press and not saying any words, like literally miming words and not saying anything. And we're into another quarterback there, so it could be worse.
Speaker 2: Right, Dylan Gabriel makes his starting debut this week in London. We'll see how he does.
Speaker 1: All the best, Buddy very well, nois Man Dan Horde voice of the Bengals, she'll hear the game here and of course Bearcat Football tomorrow on the Home of the Cats. One of the best Bengals coverage. God help us. Seven hundred WW since Scott Flung Show Friday morning. This is seven hundred WW. Normally we're coming, you know, a little lighter the entire Friday morning because hell, it's Friday and you're tired. I'm not really that tired because it's started to working to get back to work yesterday. But is a another evidence of the tragedies and since we just had another two people shot last night in Cincinnati. If you go back a couple of weeks, the sixteen year old was shots in over the Rhine by an eighth you know, by the name of a Devon Markham, and he has since been arrested in connection to that deadly shooting of the sixteen year old. He's at the Justice Center on a million dollar bond. And now we have a backstory that is reminiscent of Patrick Herringer and everything else. Brian Combs is reporting this and broke it an X and Johnson. Now Combs not, by the way, not the Comb's facing eleven years. The other Combs, the Ryan Combs from the newsroom.
Speaker 5: Brian, good morning, Hi, Cincinnati police have set all summer. They've been getting violent criminals off the streets, only to watch them be released by Hamilton County judges. And this is a textbook case looking at the court records. Devon Markham's eighteen apparently had been convicted as a juvenile in Butler County of felonious assault. Cops caught him in April with a loaded firearm. In fact, they were chasing him when the gun fell out. Lucky, he said it didn't go off and wound the police officers who were in pursuit. But Markham had the loaded gun. Ended up in court in July, plea bargain was worked out. He was convicted of having a weapon under disability, which basically means that the judge or a court told him he couldn't have one, and he had one anyway.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 5: The penalty for that in Ohio is three years a third degree felony, but instead of sending him to prison, the judge in Hamilton County who handled the case decided to put him on probation for two years.
Speaker 1: So at the time that TJ.
Speaker 5: Bell was killed over the Rhine by Grant Park two weeks ago, Markham was on probation, but in violation of his probation. More research has shown that he never went to see a probation officer, was supposed to enroll in behavior modification classes, didn't do that. The judge in this case, ally hath the Way, had told him to find a job. Didn't do that either, So all the conditions of his parole were being violated. We don't know if anybody was trying to find him. He hadn't been violated on the charge till after this murder. So now they've checked several boxes saying, you know the reasons why he's violated his probation. He'll face the full three years on that, plus whatever he might get on the merger degree.
Speaker 1: It's Patrick Haringer and the like all over again, and that you have someone who is already jammed up a gun, someone who should not have a weapon simply because he's prohibited from it, meaning that that's the whole point of this thing is. And so instead of going, hey, you know, we're going to sentence you, We're going to put you on probation because I'm assuming it's the first gunspeck he's had gun violation. He said, well, he.
Speaker 5: Just turned eighteen, so he just I mean, just become an adult. So many other cases we're all in, but you are allowed to consider the juvenile record at sentencing for adult court.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if the judge did.
Speaker 5: I don't know if this is standard that you know, the first defense for a weapon under disability is probation. It's hard to search court records to see how other cases similar and handled. I did you know use AI to surgency if it's typical for somebody in Ohio to go to prison on this, And they said yes, anywhere from nine to thirty six months, depending on your past record, and if you were committing some other crime at the same time. So we know he had a past record and yet he still got probation. You know, police are so frustrated the overtime that they've been putting in this summer. A couple of these cases like this we've had this summer were cases where that special Fugitive Task Force that was just set up to deal with violent crime in Cincinnati, that they had caught the guys that were later released. Now, I don't know if if that is the case here, I'm trying to find out, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was on their radar for something else. And you know, the arrest in this murder was made pretty quickly, so I would think that they have a pretty good idea of who he was and what he was up there. You just broke this story and you've got this all up on X right right Ax, Facebook, both of our pages have got it. I mean, I mean, to be honest, it doesn't take that much effort. You look at the court records and this stuff just jumps out at you, including the probation violation was just in court two days ago.
Speaker 1: All right, Brian colmbsaid great in the high bars.
Speaker 5: Now, just everybody knows and the Hamilton Guy justice set are a million dollars bud.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but it doesn't save the life of the sixteen year old who, by all accounts was just wrong place, wrong time, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not sure they haven't really said the circumstances of that. We had two actually we said two teams all day. But it turns out one of the victims last night was twelve. The other one I think was fourteen, shot in the drive by exact same spot in Grant Park. You'll see today a bunch of police officers, community volunteers. This has been targeted as one of the worst spots in the city, and today there's a part of the ac Cincinnati Gun Violence Effort, a beautification project where all kinds of neighborhood volunteers are out along with the police, cleaning up graffiti, cleaning up trash, trying to restore a little pride in the neighborhood, which they hope would help control the violence.
Speaker 1: If these knuckleheads are running around scott free not being held accountable for their actions, Brian again, it's at action Twitter seven hundred W. I appreciate a good job on that, Thanks enterprising young reporter you're going to make some something of yourself. One of these days, it's going to get a burrow or some sort of peabody or something along those lines. How outrageous is that to hear that this morning, on a beautiful Friday morning, we're getting excited for the weekend being here at all, and you got to hear this, so shot dead and by all accounts, good kid, just wrong place, wrong time, wasn't jammed up in anything. As far as we know, eighteen year old Devin Markham is behind bars and a million dollar hold. And it turns out and it's just part and parcel for what's passing is justice in Hamlet County and specific to the city of Cincinnati. And then you have a judge going, well, you know what, I don't want to scar this kid for life. And granted, you know, kids, we all have done dumb stuff. I've known about you. I've never picked up a gun, never picked up a gun and aimed and pointed at someone and did it on the city street over some stupid beef. Never did that when I was a teenager. But Markham thought that was a good idea. And I'm guessing that the pattern of behavior just didn't begin and end with that gun. There was a bunch of things leading up to that. And you know, I'm sorry, either we take gun crimes seriously or we don't. Now all you hear about every time there's a mass shooting another shooting is like, you know, the right is going to offer thoughts and prayers, then the left is going to offer more legislation and more laws that really aren't going to do anything because we have you're not going to You're not going to stop the tide to gun. The thirst for guns in America is huge. You know, under the Second Amendment of the Constitution, we're allowed to We're allowed to carry guns. Okay. I think that there is a great responsibility for those of us who choose to exercise that's that Second Amendment right in that to make sure the gun's locked up. I'm a big proponent of passing legislation and holding people accountable for who feel that, Hey, you know what, I'm going to bring a gun with me, but in the area is where I can't carry, I'm just gonna throw it under the seat of my car or leave it in a console or in a lot. And that's why cars are getting broken into I think that there's got to be uh And I hate to put more laws on those law abiding people like me and you, but damn it. If you're going to carry a gun and there's a lot of areas where you can't bring the gun with you, you got to do better than just simply leave it under the seat, because so many young people are breaking in the cars and stealing our guns. The guns are expensive, and I think about it. You park downtown a lot of areas, you're gonna have your windows smash. And they're not looking for change or remember the old days, they get some changes, steal your stereo. No one's stealing stereos out radios out of cars anymore, but they are. They're looking for guns. They're looking for weapons, and maybe laptops another step, but larger guns and a lot of the guns that are falling in these hands are coming from those sources. And that's on me and you as law abiding gun owners, to make sure that we've got that thing secure, like locked in a box that's bolted to the frame or chained to the seat, something along the lines. And now is that gonna you know, if someone really wants to take it, they bolt cutters or something, or a torch. Not too many criminals or torches, but it's moreble opportunities smash look around, I find a gun. Good, I got a gun, and then what do they do? They go run around and commit crimes. It's not on it. You're going, well, what do we need more laws against good people? Well, if if I carry and I take my weapon with me, I've got a safe in my car or my truck, and I make sure it's locked up, that's the best I can do. It doesn't mean that someone still can't steal it and smash the safe and everything else, but I at least didn't leave it under a seat that could lead to a tragedy like this. I did everything I possibly could. On the other hand, I think the bigger onus, though, is on the judicious the justice systems, particular in Hamlin County. It makes no sense to me that you have all these laws that restrict the rights of law abiding gun owners and then to turn around and simply when someone is caught under disability, meaning they're not allowed to have a weapon, be it a someone with a convicted felon or someone who's underage, and they're caught with a gun, to simply leave them with a slap on the wrist, to simply go, okay, well you're not one probation all right, all right, maybe this is his first defense. Let's play that game that Devin Markham, Devon Markham, this was his first defense. Probably not because he had a juvenile record, which a judge you'd look at, but the same thing I look at. Okay, great, So all you have to here's what you need to do. You need to report to your probation office. You need to get a job. You're eighteen years old, get a job, find a job. Okay. Great. Didn't do any of it. I mean literally was lying to the judge when she was telling him what the terms of his probation would be. Yes, yes, I'll do that, your honor. You know, when you don't have a job or you're not looking for each other and there's no one following up on this stuff, and that's the problem. It's it's like the ankle monitors, right, you cut off your ankle monitor. Okay, we'll put a we'll put a warrant out for your arrest. Well I'm sorry, but if you're gonna do that, if you're gonna thumb the nose pay cutting off an ankle monitor said this plumb blue in the face cut off an ankle monitor. I'm sorry, it should be in all points, but you should be looking, actively searching for that individual. Like literally have teams available and I know the police fighter we just I mean, we just what another four and a half million for police, So there's got to be a test for us available at the ready, kind of like swaddle most Hey, somebody cut their ankle monitor off, We're gonna come find you right now. It's a priority because you're gonna do bad stuff. And I would say to to the same degree, if you violate those terms of probation, it should be at that point one striking your out. It shouldn't be well, you know, someday we'll probably commit a crime and hopefully it won't be murder and we'll pick them up at a later date. Well, guess what, it's murder now. And because of our laxadaisical attitude for those who wind up getting the bench in Hamlin County and in Cincinnati. This is just part in parcel Wiscon. It's Patrick Herringer. It's happened several times since then. And when does the insanity end. He was arrested in May on charges of having a weaponarner disability, sentenced to community control in July, and now in September, a sixteen year old boy is dead. All because we just simply trust the criminals and take their word for it. I understand that the dockets are filled with people. The judges are very, very busy. They're overworked. Everyone's overworked these days. I get that. I appreciate that. But if we're going to spend all this money in law enforcement, I think a lot of this money needs to debid. A greater portion of money needs to be spent on making sure the defenders like this as soon as they reviolate, they get swept up. That is really the only way to stop, because how many of these violent crimes occur a someone who shouldn't have had the gun in the first place, who shouldn't have been on parole, who should have been behind bars, who violated their probation, who cut off the ankle monitor. It's just a steady drum beat now of violence, and then weeks later we found out, well, this is someone who shitting been on the street in the first place. I mean, how many more chances do you give an individual, I would say, you know, I'm all for trying to reform someone someone turned their life around, whatever it might be. And there's not a lot, but there's playing of stories of people who go to prison and get the fear of God. Put them because they want to live their life behind bars and live that way like an animal the rest of their lives and go, you know what, I'm done with this, okay, And that's awesome. Not everyone, not probably not most people, because recidivism rates are pretty high in America, but it's a lot of people. If you're younger, I don't want to give up any I want to give you, certainly a second chance. But you got to play the game. You got to engage if you right from the jump go yeah, I'm not showing up to team with a probation officer. Yeah, I'm not going to find a job that tells me you're not serious, serious about turning your life around. And you can make an excuse, go, well, you know what kind of job am I going to find, especially in this economy right now? Fair? But you know, for those of us who've ever been on unemployment, you have to prove on a fairly regular basis to the State of Ohio. If you're if you're drawing funds from them, you have to prove to them that you're actively searching for a job. Okay, And that's just someone who's lost their job through I don't know, reduction and force, maybe the boss, maybe you know reasons what it. But largely people who get laid off furloughed, as the case may be, they didn't do anything wrong. It's just it's a numbers game, and those people are held to a higher level of accountability than people who vitolated the law in this case, In this case Devon Markham, who didn't even bother looking for a job. Like, wait a minute, a State of Ohio employment benefits that I pay into by the way that my employer pays and so I go to claim those benefits, I got to prove to you on a regular basis that I'm looking for a job. This guy is foeling the law of the gun laws as a juvenile, and we hold abiding, hard working people who get fired, who get reduced to get laid off to a higher standard than the street criminal. Doesn't make any damn sense, does it, But welcome to Cincinnati. That's how we roll here. That's exactly how we roll. I've got to get a break, and we got news on the way in just a few minutes. Staria. Somewhere around ten o'clock or a little bit there after. It is the sentencing of not Brian Colms, but Sean did He Colms. He's looking at a maximum I think about eleven years and has finally said, hey, listen, I screwed up. I made a mistake. Give me a break. Maybe a little late for that. Now we'll see how the court treats him. We've got that going on, probably the only big serious topic. The other element going on today is Bengals football, which is also a tragedy too because the Bengals have the Detroit Lions coming to town. The most lopsided odds in the entirety of the NFL this week are right here in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Bengals are ten point underdogs to the Detroit Lions. Lions come in roll and they won. I think they lost their first game, and then they have been rolling teams and looking very formidable as the Lions of last season. And that first week is always an anomaly in the NFL, just the way it is. But three straight wins of the Detroit Lions. So Dan Campbell and his crew, Jared Goff coming to town and the Bengals extremely vulnerable right now. I know there are people screaming and clamoring to bring Russell Wilson in here. What about James Wilson, Jameis Winston, what about Kirk Cousins. Now, the Bengals are very reluctant, first of all, to trade any draft capital for Kirk Cousins or Jameis Winston because you're gonna have to give up some draft capital for that. Probably not likely. Also, I don't know. I watch a couple of games, a couple of games with Russ Wilson, who you know, ten years ago, This is not the ten years ago Russ Wilson. Russ Wilson's terrible right now. Will you lose to the Detroit Lions with Russell Wilson as your quarterback? Yes, you may lose by a narrower margin than you would with Jake brown because Jake Browning is the other side of terrible right now, and I don't know how he's going to get better in a week, especially against the team that's coming to the town this weekend. But is it just a difference between losing by not a why to margin is why you would go get a Russell Wilson That that's what it seems like to me, especially with the teams Bengals are going to face the next few weeks. So he minds we just keep this guy and write this season off yet again and Bengal fandom. The good news is well, at least we're not Cleveland. If you're looking for a silver line in Cleveland has no quarterback future at this point unless it's Sharter Sanders, which doesn't look likely because he's already playing to get the hell out of Cleveland. Uh, just because he's doing the locker room with the media. At least there's Joe Burrow may come back this season, h probably next season for sure. It'll see it goes. But it ain't going to be a good It ain't gonna be a good weekend in Cincinnati. If you believe the odds makers, and I kind of do. There's a reason why they do what they do because usually they're right anyway.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Austin Elmore later on this at ten thirty five Scott Sloan Show, seven hundred WWT Cincinnati.
Speaker 6: Want to.
Speaker 1: Yes yes is the most dangerous word the dictionary because it could lead to your own demise. Billio Vincent Gambudo is here. Please don't subscribe. He is a master saying no with something that most people are bad at. Welcome to the show. Are you?
Speaker 3: Thanks so much? Thanks for having me. I'm good I said yes to this, bapply.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why are you saying yes to me? That would be the ultimate. It's like, hey, you want to get on and talk about you know, unsubscribed. No, I'm good, I've got too much, got too much going on, kind of self defeeding. You pick the important stuff, and I think that's true though we all have to. Man, I guess I need to do this in order to fulfill some sort of goal that I have, which would be to sell books. I appreciate that. I appreciate taking time. I've come on, But so yeah, why say? Where do you draw a line of things? How do you how do you determine what's in and what's out? In some days? I think for most of us, it depends on how we feel at that exact moment in time. Do you catch me the right time? I might say, yes, you catch me the wrong time. I'm probably gonna say.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, and you know what, either way is okay. The kind of first, the first important part of saying no right is understanding that it's okay and we've all been really, really conditioned and souls are really sexy story you know, in America in the last twenty years, that we've got to say yes right, say you know, Carpa diam say yes to the dress right like you know, yes is the answer to everything we've always wanted. And I think we live in a different time now right where your we're constantly bombarded left, right and center with messages, with information, with things to process, not only just commitments and requests, but just you know, life is overwhelming, and so learning how to be savvy about saying no really really really is important. But the first step really is to understand that you can say it right without without without sort of losing losing at all, which is I think the fear that we.
Speaker 1: Have yeah, and the message bombarding it doesn't begin and end with it, but it's the mobile device, it's a text, it's something on social media, it's a direct message, it's an email, it's a call, it's we are bombarded NonStop with esks. That largely is the I think the tipping point for this conversation isn't it is If we got rid of our mobile device and just didn't respond, we'd be in much better headspace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's really important, you know. I mean these times, this technology it calls for us to be you know, really really specific and intentional about how we use these devices. I mean, you know, the companies that sell them, they want us to use it in a certain way, and we've got to sort of wake up to the fact that that way is not serving us well. Right, Being connected twenty four hours a day, being always on, being accessible, having no boundaries, right, these things are not serving us. There's not helping life be better, richer, deeper, more satisfying. And so, you know, from a very very surface level logistically, right, we've got to make decisions about how we use these devices. My laptop is for this, my phone is for that. I'm going to set some rules and parameters for myself.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, those are the things that have been eroded, and they've been eroded on purpose, right, so that we just feel constantly connected and on uh and uh and and it's really kind of time in the in the large scale or in a large viewed here. Uh, to just get some some clearer and cleaner boundaries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let's talk about taking back our time. How do we set those boundaries? And it's easier said than done. And I think in particular, and and I'm generalizing here, of course, maybe stereotyping, but it seems like women have much more difficulty men and saying no. They want to try to be everything to everybody. They don't want to disappoint you know, kids and husbands, spouses, or certainly their girlfriends and people at work, and so they try to do everything all the time. And there's plenty of guys that do that. Don't get me wrong, A lot of us do that. But generally you look at this and go, wow, that's that hits women on the head. And I think that is why women feel so compromise these days. But all right, so, how do I begin by saying no? How do you train someone to say no who's programmed to say yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean, you know, it is the question of our time. I think that that all starts. It all starts on the surface, right, I think, and I like to look at all of this through the through the lens of a sort of three places that we can look at and target in our lives. One being the surface, right, all the screens, everything that we're touching all day long, our digital life. Second being our social networks, both on and off right, sort of learning to speak to them and defy some of the narratives that we have and that we share that somehow know succept is being busy constantly and that you know, we we we sort of parent these beliefs around to one another all day long, right, and kind of learning to say, you know what, I don't believe that, I don't think that's true. I think I have to sort of create a different space for myself and for my family. And then that sort of third level, which I talk about in my book, really is sort of these underlying subscriptions. What does that mean? It just sort of means, like the beliefs that we hold really really pearly, you know, about our identity and who we are. I you know, certainly before the pandemic, which was a really big turning point for me. I know we're all sick of talking about it, but but you know this, it was sort of the genesis of my work was My life was just constant, right, It was just on the go all the time, always everywhere. And I can't speak to women specifically, but I can speak from my perspective, which is that, you know, I was feeling like, oh my god, I have been to be this upwardly mobile, successful type a person and I never stopped back to question any of it. So, you know, yes, absolutely, I think there are things we can do on the surface, but so much of this is about digging even deeper to understand. You know, why are why do we feel the need to people please, Why do we feel the need to always link success with being busy? Why do we feel the need constantly to be accessible to everyone or to not find the words to politely say, you know what, my time, attention, money, cash, all those things are super important to me and have to take precedence right now. And I don't necessarily mean it, you know, one to one with everyone, but I do mean when you look at the whole of life, right, how can I be how can I be a little bit more selfish in how I spend my time and where I've put my focus, so anyway to be practical about it. One of the things that I you know, suggest people take a look at is not even necessarily you know, do this or do that, but take a step back and ask the question, you know, how can I slow this down? How can I put more structure in? And how can I make this more human? And I think those are the three things that have happened in the last ten and twenty years in our country because of all of this tech, because of how wired we are, we have sped it all up. We have taken the parameters and the boundaries away, and we've made it less human. And so, you know, from a just practical perspective, if we can stop in any given moment that's overwhelming to us and ask those questions, I think people, you know, can find the answers that are specific to their lives and helpful to them by by start of taking that breath.
Speaker 1: Yeah. By the way, it's Julia Vincent Gambudo on the show this morning. Please under subscribe. Thanks taking back our time, attention and purpose and world designed to bury us and bs, which is largely true. It just we pilot on pilot on pilod on. Although I just had this conversation with a buddy of mine and he's a guy. You know gen X are like me, uh and raised by parents and there and also grandparents too, where work was everything for man. Right, It's like, okay, you go when you work, you work your work, you work, you work all day, you work hard, you work smart, you make your money, and then hopefully at the end you start to cash out and enjoy the fruits of your labor. I think that models changed because we have seen in a lot of people are as older certainly would look at it and go, oh my god, nobody wants to work anymore. And I think it's partly true, and it looks and appears that way, but you know, look at it this way. When you were working when you were younger, Hey can we go and uh, we're gonna want a family vacation. How much time did you spend working while on vacation because things were expected you at work or weekends or nights, or you may be distracted by different projects and things you had to get done. And so you know, kids absorb that like a sponge and they say, all right, well, you know, we live a nice life. I guess, relatively speaking, we always want more as a kid. But at the same time, you know, I saw what work has done to my parents. I saw the two thousand and eight housing collapse, what that did a lot of people. We saw what happened during the pandemic and people losing their jobs, Like and I think you're good people look at that and said, you know what, tomorrow is not given. I'm gonna enjoy life in the moment, at the moment, right now. Now, do they want nice things with I'm putting that kind of effort in absolutely. But you can choose to have. You can choose to live that life where you're not consumed with work and not consumed with burning the mid not all and doing those things at previous generations, but you're probably not going to have as much at the end. So that is a choice that you will make. I respect that out of today said that they literally, hey, I'm going on vacation now. I'm not waiting until I'm in my sixties to travel. I think that's an awesome thing. But you're doing at the expense of future comfort, and that's a trade off you have to accept.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I agree with you. I think well, first, I think our generation I'm a sennial. I guess they call us these folks who were born, you know, late seventies, early eighties, and we're sort of sandwiched in the middle. We we we grew up without email and without tech, and then graduated college and suddenly, right, you know, so we went out into the professional world really unequipped, really uh to to understand what this all meant and what it what it asks of us. But to your point, you know, I think this generation, the younger generation, is seeing these things, but they're also seeing that the mass doesn't add up, right, and without without stoking a political fire, I mean, the truth is that, you know, the numbers just do not support working at that kind of level. You know that that past generations did. Right, We're seeing that we're getting less for our money. We're seeing that prices for even homes, right, which is like this major symbol of our financial and material success, right, that is a different proportion of our income. It is a much much larger buy in than it has ever been before. We're seeing that even the cost of vacations right proportional to what people make per year, has gone up. So all those things, I mean, those are small examples, but there are plenty in the list as long of sort of where the map isn't massing right.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: I hate the fact by the way that older people in particular, maybe, but you know, you can work hard to or three or four jobs, but that's not the same as it was when we were young, when you were when I was young, certainly, and for you, and if you're older, if you know, in your sixties, seventies, eighties or whatever, it's a whole different dynamic. Now. You could work, you know, four different full time jobs and still have a hard time servicing your debt. There's inflation. Inflation has gone up, and wages have not kept up, and we've seen the gap between GDP and wages just continue to grow further and further apart. It's a real deal. Don't be dismissive of younger people say, man, I'm working, you know, I just I can't get ahead. Well, you need to work harder. Well, you know now, if you're up there in age, yeah, maybe you worked hard, but your money went a lot today And when I were talking about getting buried in college debt and stuff like that, and so I think that work is becoming less important to individuals. But I would say that work is the business of the United States, the business of America's business, and that means people have to work. And so if you're not willing to do that at some point, are you're going to do it less? And God bless you if you that's your choice, But you stand a high likelihood that AI is going to come in and fill that void.
Speaker 3: Well, I think now it is going to not only fill the void, it's going to blow the void his bery here. And I think where we are, you know, not necessarily completely emotionally prepared for what's about to happen, for the losses that we're going to see. Not to be doomsday about it, because I think there is a scenario where this can be helpful to humanity. This can be helpful to the economy and also to our to our day to day. But we've got to have really, really much larger conversations and at the highest levels.
Speaker 2: Of power about how we use.
Speaker 3: AI in order to benefit the masses. Right and right now it's in the hands of a handful of corporations that are only going to use it for their specific gain and goals, and so it's it's really you know, now is the time to be having a conversation, to be pushing back and to be speaking tru to power to say, hey, you know, while this is going to change humanity, how is everyone going to benefit?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And I don't think everyone needs to necessarily. I'm not talking about, you know, outright socialism. I'm talking about having conversations about how we fuel capitalism with things like AI. Right, this is world changing, This is life altering for all of humanity. And I think we've got to wake up to how significant a change is coming and start to really have serious conversations about how that gets spread out right among three hundred million people here in the US and obviously more across the world. But how do you bring that benefit? And I'm not an AI specialist, but the question to be asked is how do you bring that benefit to as many people as possible?
Speaker 1: Probably going to make things worse where it's like, oh, yeah, you know, look at the ads for everything that's technology's going to make your life so much either. No, it's not just gonna make it more complex. I'll have more different things to do and more passwords to remember and crap like that. And I get why younger people are checking out, and maybe we've peaked at that too, because how much of this do you think we had a glimpse of life when COVID went on. I mean, we look back at COVID, it was a scary time. For sure, we didn't know where this thing was headed. But for a lot of people listening to the early days anyway, it was like, wait a minute, hold on a second, I can work from home. I can work remotely. I don't have that now if you lost your job obviously because of that's a different story or a riff. But for most people it's like, okay, I can work from home. What does that look like. I'm in my pajamas and it's like, you know what, nothing that We're not going to go out and socialized because everything's closed. It's it's amazing how in just a few years we've gotten way far away from that. We had a taste of like slowing life downe but clearly those Americans we don't want that we've returned to office is a thing. We've ramped it all up, and I think we exceeded where we were in twenty twenty before COVID really hit.
Speaker 3: I mean, so many of the numbers are bearing out that we are back with a bench. Yeah, no doubt, you know, and I think part of that. You know, there's a lot of reasons you could point to for why we went back to normal, but one of the things I think that's really important is that we were committed to it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: We had we had a thirty year mortgage, right, not a five or ten year or fifteen, right. We had a we had jobs that all of it. I'm not ever saying that, you know, people don't have to go and work and make a living, but I do think that we went back very easily, and we went back sort of because the story was sold to us that you know, normal is normal is good, Normal is what we need in our lives. And we've got to get back to the over consumption, and we've got to get back to the go, go go and the run goun run, you know. And I think it just behooves all of us to kind of just remember that in those moments when the chips were down and things looked really dark, you know what was important to us, Right? What did we run to? Who are the people we turned to? What are the things that we did? I mean, there's no way to recreate that moment, and I wouldn't want to, but there was a great value in it, right, There was great value in sort of understanding like, oh wow, my life actually boiled down to these ten fifteen people, like these few things that I love to do, these people.
Speaker 2: That I love, this recipe that I like me whatever it is, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And tearing that forward can be a difficult process. But I think you know, the first step that sort of recognizing it, even writing it down, being really aware of kind of you know, what was it in that moment that I ran to that was valuable to me and meaningful for me? And how can I bring that forward in my life? But I think you're totally right that COVID with this weird exercise and anti socialism, right.
Speaker 1: You guys are, and we went we really don't want this or that's not expected of us anymore. It's it is fascinating. Please unsubscribe. Thanks. It's Julio Vincent Cambudo on The Sconserland Show seven hundred WW taking back your time and attention and purpose in this world, in this crazy, crazy world. Thanks for coming on the show, all the best, Thanks for having me you well too long. Didn't read just say no. Sometimes I'll say no a lot more often at least his equal number of yes is that you give. You keep saying yes to stuff all the time, you're headed that cycle of burnout. That's real because it comes at us all the time, not saying, you know, stop being charitable or hopeful, or be a good friend or a husband, or a mother or a son or a daughter saying you know you sometimes you'll just got the carved room out for yourself. I get that, now, get that later in life anyway. Maybe it involves sitting around drinking, having something to eat. Maybe it involves sports this weekend coming it got you covered there. Austin Elmore from ESPN fifteen thirty jumps in next. Did the Bengals even stand a chance against Jared Goff and the Detroit Lions? The odds makers say no, simply because they are ten point underdogs at home at pay Corps on Sunday on the Home of the Best. Bengals covered seven hundred WWT. Later today at noon on esp IN fifteen thirty, you hear this guy and Cincinnati's sports legend, the Hall of Famer himself, Tony Pike, chopping up sports. He's lot, where are you right now? You come? This is your one call you're allowed from the lock up.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I'm just I'm at home. I'm prepared at home. You were shared, you're prepared. You're not here that you're prepared or you're prepared. You're Prepared's good. We're we're on a remote today. We're going to be over at home, a rama over at the Foundry in Oakley with tell windows and doors. So I'm doing all my prep from home today. Try to stay away from you as much as I can.
Speaker 1: Dosn't got any bigger than that to well, you know, you can't. You can't catch what I have my relative to my ankle injury, which that's not communicable disease. But that's all right. Maybe my luck, I probably would probably would. Where do we jump in this morning? We could kick around the ryy of the Reds pretty much. That's over. We exhausted that topic. Yesterday I watched nothing. I enjoyed watching some playoff baseball last night and the very generous strike zone. Granted than that the Cubs affair last night as Well's boy, I'll tell you what, watching some of the umpiring, and now that you know for a while now all the broadcasts that have sports or have baseball rather have the strike zone in it and just further emphasizes the difference between AI and the technology we have and the human eyeball. Because man, I'll tell you what it was egregious yesterday. If you want to you want to make sure that you your job is outsourced to computers. I think that was evidence last night with the Cubs Padres game. Yeah, I mean, without a doubt.
Speaker 8: I mean, major league umpires missed thousands and thousands and thousands of ball strike calls per week, and so over the course of a season, that adds up really quickly. And so next year they have an ounce that they're going to bring in the automated ball strike system, the Challenge System, and I think it's going to be good for baseball. I think last year when they were testing it both in the minor leagues, they did it in the All Star Game. This year in major leagues, they did in Major League Spring Training. And the whole thing took I think roughly thirteen seconds on average for a challenge to go through. So if it's that, you know, it's that small and it doesn't require too much time and too much effort, and you know, the video boards and the cameras and the technology, you might as well use it to get the calls right, especially in a game like last night, where the padres would have been able to successfully challenge several calls that the umpires missed, and you know they were not happy with the umpires and were yelling at him coming off the field.
Speaker 1: I don't blame him. Yeah, I get it. I get in tar So Red is not part of the conversation. We kind of covered this the other day talking about what the off season looks like for the Red Legs. We move on to current sports and probably should jump right into Bengals talk this morning as the three and one Lions come running into town. Here with that Dan Campbell at the Helm, ten point underdogs at home, the widest prediction as far as losses go in the NFL. Here you want to talk about just a glaring beatdown that is about to be experienced at pay Course, Davy, it's going to be with us. Earlier I talked to Dan Horde and he tends to be optimistic about things. I understand that, but I would say I'm looking at Jake Browning situation, not that Jake Browning. We saw just a couple of years ago. It's a pal comparison. However, I can't believe people are clamoring for Russell Wilson to take over that What exactly is Russell Wilson going to offer? Now, maybe he hits Jamar Chase and a couple of those blatantly open routesies on, but you get do you give up draft capital and do you get Russell Wilson just to make the losses closer? I just I don't understand you're gonna lose. You're just gonna lose by probably less of a margin. Does that matter? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Well, I think the Bengals might believe, or most people might believe that the Bengals margin isn't that big in that a good quarterback could, you know, help shrink that margin and make those games a lot more winnable, a lot more competitive. I tend to think right now that even if you went out and acquired Russell Wilson or Jamis Winston or Derek Carr or insert quarterback here, that it's not going to have that big of a difference. And the main reason I say that is that the defense is still really really bad. Yes, and there's no run game, there's no offensive line as protection, and that's a major issue now. I think they played mildly better in the run and protecting Jake Browning on Monday Night in Denver, but you know, it's still a long, long road to hope for those guys, So you know, I don't think it would make that big of a difference. I don't think Jake Browning played good on Monday Night. He missed multiple opportunities. And if he makes those plays, if he completes those passes, then maybe it is a different game. Maybe it is more competitive. Maybe just being on the field longer helps your defense out and it's more close to what we expected to see from the Bengals. I just don't know that it's that big of a difference right now. If you were to bring in a guy like Russell Wilson, I think the Bengals still.
Speaker 1: Believe in Jake Browning.
Speaker 8: Early on, he was just reckless with the ball, and he was a gunslinger, and he was just not at all what we saw from him in twenty twenty three. And it felt like last week against Denver, he tried to overcorrect on that and he was a little too safe and he didn't take the extra chance he didn't drive the ball down the field as much as he could. He threw balls way out of bounds instead of given his receivers a chance. And so he's got to find that middle ground of like, yes, I need to be aggressive, I have to trust my receivers, but also I can make dumb decisions that hurt the football team. Jake's gotta find the middle ground.
Speaker 9: Er.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the problem is is your your your comparative is Joe Burrow, and Joe Burrow has covered a lot of the glaring weakness has now been exposed in the Jake Browning era when it comes to things like pass protection, getting the role making quick decisions doesn't offset the defense at all. But if you got Joe Burrow and he can throw a lot more dimes than Jake Browning can, maybe you could win a close game. Maybe and probably And we saw that, and that's the problem. You're comparing Jake Browning the big step down from Joe Burrow. I think if he had Russell Wilson in there, people would be going, well, how bad could Jake Browning be? That that's where we'd be, And it's it's very fickle.
Speaker 8: Yeah, without a doubt, And to me, it becomes less about comparing the two quarterbacks and more about saying, how can my head coach make an offense that is built around what Jake Browning does well. A perfect example is what we saw last night on Thursday Night Football. The way the San Francisco forty nine Ers in two games already this year. Because brock perty is dealing with turf tow that won't go away, Mac Jones has flawlessly operated the forty nine ers offense and led them to victories both on the road in tough environments, one in New Orleans, one in Los Angeles. Even though he's a lot of Niners fans, short week Thursday night Division rival, he's able to go out there and win a game. So to me, the focus now really shifts to Zach Taylor. It's like, Okay, you built this offense around Joe Burrow and Jamar Jason t Higgins. How do you build an offense that has a running game that is competitive or dependable or at least not getting negative yardage every time? How can you build an offense that helps Jake Browning? Now, if you remember, you know when Jake.
Speaker 1: Oh we lost as Austin, there is he back are you there? Oh, we have Austin Elmore issues. Maybe he's also simultaneously waiting for the sentencing here and to begin for one Sean Diddy, Brian Combs. Diddy or Didney is a big question to be answer today in court. We'll try to get Austin Onlmore back as he tackles the tough questions about Bengals football today. Yeah, I'm the mindset, Okay, Russell Wilson. People, I get Russell Wilson here. You think in a week or two he's gonna learn the playbook and be able to turn things around for this Bengal team. He may maybe it gets you maybe one game on a good day. But watched a little bit of Russell Wilson enough to know this isn't the same Russell Wilson as we saw winning Super Bowls and dominating the NFL just a few, well not only a few a number of years ago. Just doesn't work out. Is the math mathing? Probably not. I think Jake Brown is just going to be the guy until Joe Burrow comes back, unless some sort of manna from heaven comes flowing down and we get a quarterback in our lap. At that point, I'm My concern with that Jake Browning though, is you saw the frustration from someone like Jamar Chase and to a degree t Higgins, those guys starting can place and going, hey, listen, I'm gonna run these routes and the ball's notable to find even to be in the same time zone as I am. What's the point How long before those guys start dogging it? I think that's a real concern. Austin is you know, if you want Browning, do you start do these guys start losing interests as well? And we saw this to some degree, I mean, turnovers and penalties, a lot of sloppy football. Coach said no more self inflicted errors. But I think when you have the crisis and both sides of the ball that you're facing right now in different degrees, I think the self inflicted errors come because guys just quit focusing. That's what it looked like to me. Any truth in that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I don't know how you wouldn't get that takeaway from watching them over the last couple of weeks, especially when one fumble or one penalty or a couple of penalties, and it felt like it just completely unraveled, like guys threw in.
Speaker 1: The towel, like they gave up. What's the point?
Speaker 8: You give Jamar Chase a lot of credit because Jamar has basically said, Hey, it's up to me to be a leader. I spoke to the team after the game on Monday. I understand I've got a captain's patch of my jersey, I've got a big contract, and I understand that I have to take a new leadership role with Joe out and with Sam Hubbard not here and Von Bell and all those guys out the door. So I give Jamar credit because he's saying and doing all the right things. He's not afraid to go up to Zach Taylor and say, hey, these are things we.
Speaker 1: Need to do better.
Speaker 8: He's not afraid to say that to the team either, and it means a lot when that's the guy who's doing it in Jamar Chase. So from the receiver specifically, I haven't seen that sort of disconnect yet, and I hope that we don't see it. But from some of the other guys, I could definitely see that it felt like there was a different level of effort than what we've seen when things have gone awry. In the past. I think that is probably the most alarming thing for Zach Taylor. But if Jamar Chase is the guy leading the charge to maybe nip that in the bud, that could be a good thing, especially if it happens early in.
Speaker 1: All right, AUNI other side of the ball here, much like people are clamoring for get rid of Jake Brown and get Russ Wilson, give me Kirk Cousins, give me Jameis Winstone of the Bengals want to give up draft capital for Kirk Cousins, who would be probably the tallest person in that group. On the other side of the ball, there are people going, well, you know, Christian Wilkins is available, you can get him on the d line. That may help with the run. That may help you. That's gonna help it a lot. Yeah, but there's a reason why the Raiders of all teams gave up on Christian Wilkins. Do you want that cancer in the locker room? No?
Speaker 8: I mean, there's nobody else has gotten him either. He's had an injury the reason why, and he's he lost a lot of money for stuff that hasn't come to light yet, which probably will one day. And and it'll make a lot of sense as to why he's not not on a football team right now. To be honest, though I haven't heard a lot of clamoring for people to go and improve the defense. I do think most people feel like it's a work in progress, and they have been put in some difficult situations with the amount of turnovers that the offense has had and the lack of moving the ball and possessing the ball that the offense has had. I still think there are pieces there that are flashing at times. I liked what I saw from Dax Hill on Monday. We'll see if Shamar Stewart comes back this week or next, but he looked good when he was healthy. I saw a little bit from Joseph Osai. Trey Hendrickson really hasn't done much, but there are still young players, young pieces that are developing. We'll see how it goes over the course of the next couple of weeks. With Al Golden, I always thought that the first month, month and a half the season was going to be a work in progress for them, while they get their legs under them and they figure out, you know, the different stuff that Al Golden can install and the different ways to attack a specific offense, So we'll see how it goes. I've not totally given up on the defense yet.
Speaker 1: Though, Yeah, and on that Joe Burrow was covering for a lot of that until this defense could get better and get their legs under them. And now with Joe Burrow being gone, now they've kind of exposed to that degree. But there's some people here depending on to be pretty serviceable, if not good, this season much better. How disappointing that is Cam Taylor.
Speaker 8: Brittain, Yeah, I mean massive disappointment in every way shape and for him now, had the hamstring injury last week, didn't practice very much, had been sick all that, but it didn't matter. I mean, before he got hurt, he was not playing well. We've seen a stretch of really good play from Cam Taylor Bridge for like ten or twelve games in his career, and that's really it.
Speaker 1: It's been a mixed.
Speaker 8: Bag and mostly a bad bag of play after that. And so he's a massive disappointment to go along with a laundry list of massive disappointments and draft picks over the last couple of years. And what's most disappointing about Cam is that you know he's got the athleticism to be able to play in this league, and especially to be able to play the outside corner position, but his fundamentals do not look good. He appears to be stiff, he's slow at the top of routes, and teams target him, and when he's on the field, he's an absolute liability. And you saw that the way that the Broncos went after him basically in five snaps on Monday night, and it was so bad that the Bengals had.
Speaker 1: To pull Yeah, all right, I'm looking at the line here and Bengals ten point underdogs if Austin Elmore. Let's say that they get blown out and I'm talking another embarrassing loss to the Detroit Lions, which a lot of teams are going to get blown out of a lot of teams have been blown out Detroit. But I mean ugly, ugly, ugly. You now have a pattern here. Does that cost them on a job at this point? Should have cost them on a job at this point?
Speaker 8: At this point, I would say no, that I don't think it would. I would say that it probably should, but I don't know that it would.
Speaker 1: At this point.
Speaker 8: To me, the big game is going to be the Pittsburgh Steelers game. Now, the Bengals are going to be heavy underdogs in the next two this one against Detroit and then at green.
Speaker 1: Bay next week.
Speaker 8: Then they come back after green Bay short week Thursday night football at home, the white Bengal whiteout game against the Pittsburgh Steelers. If they are embarrassed against Pittsburgh in that game, a team that you're certainly on par with and are good enough to beat, and at home on a short week on a Thursday, then I would be surprised if there aren't heads rolling after that if they get embarrassed in that game as well.
Speaker 1: All right, real quick, because there is some bright light here as far as sports goes. And that's three and one. You see Brandon Soresby balled out against Kansas last week, Big twelve home opener for UC at Knipper tomorrow at noon here on seven hundred WW, number fourteen Iowa State comes into town. That's a number fourteen team, and Cincinnati really should be all over them because of the injuries. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 8: I mean most of Iowa State's defense is injured. And you mentioned Brendan Sorosby is playing really good football, right, now. The receivers were the big talking point coming into this season, that the Bearcats got faster and stronger and bigger at their wide receiver position, and that the offense has certainly started to hum over the last couple of weeks, and so with so many injuries to Iowa State, even though they're ranked number fourteen in the country, the Bearcats are favored.
Speaker 1: At home and that is a big deal.
Speaker 8: And if Soworsby continues to play that he has, and most importantly, if the offensive line continues to play that they have, you want to talk about the exact opposite end of the spectrum of the Bengals. The Bearcats offensive line has allowed one sack all year, and the sack that they allowed really wasn't their fault. It was just a good play by the defense. So you know, if they're able to keep protecting Brendan Soarsby, if they got that good run pass mix, and even with sowres be getting involved in the run game like, the Bearcats have a legitimate shot to knock off number fourteen Iowa State here. It really get things moving in the right direction for scott'sadderfield.
Speaker 1: It should be a fun environment. I'm pick it up what you're putting down. You're saying, if you the Bengals, if you could take the Bearcats and have them play the Lions on Sunday, they'll lose, but they'll they'll perform better than the Bengals. Like I like that line. I think that Austin, Austin Elmore later today at noon from the Pallo Windows and Doors Broadcast Studio, where.
Speaker 8: We're gonna be at the Foundry home over in Oakley, Yes, and then tonight, Scott. Tonight, I'm gonna be in for Lance McAllister from six to nine on Sports Talk right there on this very station, seven hundred w WELW.
Speaker 1: You're gonna hear from.
Speaker 8: Brendan soaresby a conversation he had with Tony Pike. We'll also get into the Reds as we finally and officially bury them, and a whole bunch more coming up six to nine as well tonight.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, appreciate it, buddy, Thanks again, have a great show out there at the Foundry. Anyway, I got to get to a news update, Scott's loan show. Happy Friday. A lot to look forward to. Sports flies on Sunday. But you can be listening anyway, here on the Home of the Best Bengals coverage seven hundred w welw don't be back on said one hundred double l What are you? Eighteen veterans died by suicide America every single day. Seven of them are under the care of the VA, so they already getting care, which is a pretty frightening number. The numbers for women trending in the right direction, the numbers for men trending in the opposite direction. Not good. What's being done about this when it comes to veterans mental health services? And on the show again is Steve Belso is the executive director of Clairmont County Veteran Services Commission, and also Lisa Listen, who's suicide prevention counselor at Listen TVA. Welcome, good, how are you guys.
Speaker 10: It's great to have Lisa here with me today to tackle this all important subject.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty frightening because we have those stats. I mean, it wasn't twenty I think at one time, and only eighteen. But why are men going up and women going down? I guess at Lisa, that'd be a good.
Speaker 6: Question for Well, I think you have to remember there are more men in the military or that were served in the military than there are women, so of course that's going to raise the number somewhat. And you know, with men, we really know that their identity, especially in the military, and then transitioning home can be quite difficult because oftentimes they they see themselves as you know, the breadwinner and that you know, they need to be the one that's kind of leading the family and providing for their family. And when they transition out the military sometimes that's very, very difficult because they have a hard time transitioning between what I did in the military and how does that transpose to the community and what job I'm going to have there. So they really struggle with that. Plus they lose their connection with what they saw as their family of sorts in the military, and so then they become very disconnected. And then when they come home, sometimes their relationships have dissolved for one reason or another with some of their family members, whether a spouse or another family member, and so they're dealing with a lot of different stressors, not just what happened in the military, but then what was going on at home. Sometimes there's a disconnect there as well.
Speaker 1: Sure, Steve, you saw this first hand for all your years of the military as well. Is certainly PTSD has a lot to do this we'll talk about that. But also the fact that the real world doesn't run the way it does in the military. Now, there's a lot less accountability in the real world. That's a problem in it, but it is.
Speaker 11: It is, right.
Speaker 10: So there's there's a big divide between active duty service and there's an expectation that if Jones doesn't show up for formation today, somebody go find Jones. Yeah, if Jones doesn't show up for work, just don't log him in. He's going to get doctor daypey right right, get fired right right. So even still though my time, my thirty years on active duty, I've had a lot of friends commit suicide. It is a I don't want to say it's a byproduct of combat. For the most part, PTSD happens not just in combat. It could be a horrific accident, somebody saw rights, it's some other dynamic that's created in the brain that causes an extreme fear that they can't climb away from right. And I will tell you after even sending my marines into extensive counseling, even where they stay in for weeks in the counselings and I still end up losing a marine. Just drives you to the pit of your heart that you could not get ahead of them and what they're struggling with.
Speaker 1: A part of this too, I guess you call it the deadly gap, right, Steve, is that you have the time where you're listed, you're a military, you get services all around your your overwhelmed with that stuff. If you did something's wrong, you gonna go okay by the time you you wind up being discharged, not really discharged, and by the time your VA benefits and you figure all that stuff out. There's a gap there. That's also huge deal is because we lose so many veterans because they don't know what to do. They're not being told what to do. That's part of that discan between transition military and the real world.
Speaker 10: There is so on a military just say we're talking about there is a daily I've got eyes on we call it, right, I've got eyes on Jones, I've got eyes on Smith, I've got eyes on Johnson.
Speaker 1: There's a hierarchy of command. You guys are working out for the.
Speaker 10: But there's also in the family set. If I came to work at seven hundred every day. I know Scott Sloan and his attitude every day. But the minute Scott Sloane starts hiding back here in his office, Sloaney doesn't come out and get coffee. Sloaney's not laughing with us in his usual character. I'm going something's changed about Sloaney. Let me go tap Sloani. What's going on, brother?
Speaker 1: Right right?
Speaker 4: And that's the way it works.
Speaker 10: In the military, we know our teams and we know their conduct, we know their attitude. So when things start to shift, it's an immediate comere. What's going on right right? And in the civilian world, I now transition back to being a civilian. There's nobody with eyes on me every day except my family, and sometimes the family's intimidated to ask Steve what's going on?
Speaker 2: Right? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I get that. I get that whole thing, all right, So so Steve Belso back to Lisa. Listen, when when you see someone at the VA, who's going to typically who presents what are the what are the symptoms? Why are they there?
Speaker 6: Well, it can be a number of different symptoms, but most often somebody will come in and they might be expressing, you know, I feel really hopeless about my situation in life, or they might come out and say, hey, I'm I'm having suicidal thoughts, and then we work to really help that veteran and help them in areas that they need. So what it is, what is it that is uh they are struggling with. It could be addiction, which is a huge risk factor for veterans and you know people in the general population, but if they're having trouble with some type of addiction, oftentimes they don't know what the services are that are available to them. And once we tell them, hey, we have methodone treatment available, we have inpatient, we have residential treatment that we can help you with your addiction. Or it could be that they're having relationship issues, so it could be with a spouse and so we will get them engaged in that type of care. Or it could be that they really do need to be admitted to the hospital, to our inpatient psychiatric unit just to get a break, to actually be able to focus on what are the issues going on, and then we can help them and building the supports for them. So they present in a number of different ways. What's really awesome about the VA is we have open access, which means that you can walk in to any clinic and say, hey, I'm really struggling, I need to talk to someone, or I'm having suicidal thoughts, and we'll help you with whatever clinic you're in. It doesn't matter what clinic you're in. You can get open access where a counselor or a social worker psychiatrist will meet with you and work with you on whatever the problem is.
Speaker 4: All right, So let's pull that apart a little bit slowly.
Speaker 10: There's even where recently, maybe what year and a half, two years ago, the Compact Act was approved, and what the Compact Deck did is remove some veterans have a stigma with the VA. But it removed that stigma and stead that veteran can go to any hospital or physician to receive that care good and receive up to ninety days of care. So it's not just hey we're gonna take you down to the VA, right, Mom or dad, you can take your son or daughter to try Health Sat Elizabeth Christ Hospital, right, and it's get with your service or your county service officer.
Speaker 4: We file the paperwork. There's ninety days of support for your loved one.
Speaker 1: Okay, good to know. Again, it's just Steve Belso from Climat County Veteran Service Commission and Lisa Listen and she's a suicide prevention coordinator at the sin CVA, talking about veterans suicide rate and what can be done. And certainly a lot has been put into making sure that we're getting the health care for our veterans. That's eemingly possible. But for a family member, Lisa, that that's gonna be the hardest part is identifying the problem, but getting is, to Steve's point, getting them the care they need because you tend to be a little bit stubborn, right, you know, if someone else needs to care more than I do, I don't need it. I'm fined. How do you do that?
Speaker 6: So there's a couple of things to remember as a family member. First of all, we want to educate family members on what are the warning signs so they actually are aware that if a person is expressing I feel hopeless or I feel like there's no way out, they might be escalating their alcohol or drug use, they might be expressing lots of anxiety or rage and anger. Those can all be warning signs. So the first step is really what we have now as a public health strategy where we want to educate everyone in the community to try to get upstream with the veteran, so to notice those warning signs before something happens. Unfortunately, for many years, you know, it was until we knew about the crisis and now we're ready to help. But if we can educate our community to say, hey, here are the issues, here are the warning signs, and then we can help that person. So that's the first thing. The second thing is to let the family members know that they have twenty four hours support. If they believe that their veteran is struggling, they're in a suicidal crisis, they can call the Veteran's Crisis Line, which is the nine eight eight, and then you press one of your veteran or family member or a veteran. It's free and you don't then have to be the evaluator. You don't have to try to decide this is should I be worried about this or not. You can talk to the responder and most often the responder will say, hey, can we talk to the veteran, and then they'll do the immediate response and help the veteran then get to where they need to be and what's really nice about nine eight eight Press one is then if the veteran agrees, we then are received that phone number in that veteran's name, and at the Cincinnati VA we call that veteran within twenty four hours and we continue to help them to make sure that they're getting the services they need and get them engaged in the care they need.
Speaker 1: All right, then it all starts with a call to your county Veteran Services Commission like you and Clairemont County, Steve Belso and your team ready to go. You put her in touch with folks like Lisa and get them the help they need. But there shouldn't be a stigma of shame. I do something in my show is called Mental Health Monday. Every Monday we do a segment with a licensed mental health therapist and she's wonderful. We get a lot of input, people of questions, and there's still a stigma involved with us. I would imagine it's probably more so true in the military than anywhere.
Speaker 4: Absolutely there is there is one. We have to break this down to the common denominator.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 10: We tend to talk about suicide and facets, right and how this looks, But the fact is anywhere in life. Life wants to grow, Life wants to live. I cut down a tree last week. It's already setting up new shoots. Right, Wait a minute, I cut the tree down. It is in the design the DNA of life on this earth to live. And if somebody decides they want to die, it's a sickness, it's a disease.
Speaker 4: Something has happened.
Speaker 10: It is not a quitter mentality that people tend to tagline it with because they don't understand.
Speaker 4: And it happens on active duty. Oh, he's just a quitter.
Speaker 10: No, something broke right, It is not natural for somebody to want to die. So that's number one two nine eight eight. Press one is step one. If you can get your veteran to talk to another veteran a nine eight eight, and then press one is a veteran on the other side of the line, start the initial conversation.
Speaker 4: That is not the end conversation.
Speaker 10: It needs to carry on to a licensed physician healthcare in the mental health side that can sit with Johnson Jones Smith and start pulling it back because you need to know what the very base layer of the issue is. A lot of times there's extra brainious things going on the attitude. I've become still, I've become reclues, but still yet there's something else deeper and a lot of For men, they don't want to give that up because they don't want to seem weak.
Speaker 1: Which is probably why you see higher suicide rates per capita in men than women, because women are we'll talk, we'll open Guys we shut up. We want to talk about sports and yeah, everything's fine, don't worry about it. Leave me alone.
Speaker 4: I'm tough. Leave me alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I self medicate more than anyone else.
Speaker 10: Well, which is why Lisa is talking about all of the drugs. The addictions start because of what the very based foundation is that's going on with the suicidal ideations.
Speaker 4: Now I'm going to start self medicating.
Speaker 1: We also have learned a lot when it comes to suicide prevention and who is inclined to were predisposed to be suicidal? Right, So there's a reach VET program I think is what you call it, And that's all it's AI. It's predictive modeling and you can predict who's more like I guarantee it, but more likely to be suicidal or commit suicide than other members. How's that work?
Speaker 6: Right? So? Yeah, I'm actually the Reach VET program coordinator as well, and you're right. It is predictive modeling. And what they do is they pull from the veterans charts and they have like four hundred different risk factors that could put that person at risk for suicide, and then they take the top one percent in the facility that meet that criteria. Those names are sent to me and then I'd either contact them or if they have a provider already, the provider contacts them and tries to get them engaged in care. So it's another way to figure out, Okay, how can we reach veterans who maybe we wouldn't know about because they didn't say they were suicidal, but there were all these risk factors.
Speaker 1: How do you have that conversation with the VET Because all of a sudden my phone rings, it's you and Lisa. It's like, yeah, we think you know you're suicidal. I am, that's news to me. How do you brotech conversation?
Speaker 6: You're right, I do call them and I explain to them what this program really is. That what we're trying to do is look at what are all your risk factors? So when you go to the doctor, right, they might say you are at risk for a heart attack. Does it mean you're going to have art attack? No, but here are some signs that tell us if you keep eating the way you're eating right, you're probably going to have a heart attack. So we work with them in that way. I talk to them about that and I compare it to any other risk factor for different things, and then I explain to them, so what I want to check in with you about is have you been having any suicidal thoughts? And then that way, I can, you know, start the conversation about are you at risk?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 6: Sometimes they say, well, now I'm not suicidal, that's great. Is there anything else we can do that would be helpful to you? So though even though they are not suicidal, again, this is getting more upstream, right, so we're saying, okay, but we still see these risk factors. Are there things going on in your life that we might be able to help you with?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 6: And so they might share that.
Speaker 1: Are they pretty responsive?
Speaker 11: Usually?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Usually they really appreciate that somebody is checking in to see how they're doing.
Speaker 1: If you have somebody on your side, right.
Speaker 6: That somebody's kind of looking out for me, you know, and are noticing things that maybe I don't even notice myself, or I might think, well, I shouldn't say anything because you know, I'm strong and I shouldn't say that I'm having a problem with this area. So it really normalizes in a way. Hey, lots of people have suicidal thoughts. Lots of people go under a tremendous amount of stress and sometimes they have suicidal thoughts, and we want to be able to help you with that. So yeah, it's been it's been a wonderful program.
Speaker 1: See belso with the Claremont County Veteran Services Commission. So if someone's a veteran family member of a veteran and maybe you think there's something going on here you need help, just reach out to you guys in Claremont County or whatever county it is you're listening in, and we get the same level of help in all the counties or just years.
Speaker 10: That is, that is one of two, right, we can help stare in the right direction. Yes, that is every county in Ohio. The fastest way is press one. Got it, it's easy, it's sticky, it's it's it's not a ten digit number and you're trying to Oh my gosh, I missed it nine eight eight. If a civilian stop there, there's someone there to talk to you. If you're a veteran, it will tell you in the voice recording press one and that route you to another veteran that's on the other side of the outstanding.
Speaker 4: It's a great program.
Speaker 10: Now let's let's be honest, though, Sony, all of this programming, we still don't have the cure all for suicide. Numbers are going down phenomenal. In Claremont County. My numbers have risen, though nationally we're going down. So sometimes we have to look for factors in the community, why is this happening in my county? But then even on active duty setting marines, they're way for two three weeks constant care under a physician's care, and then released and then it's they start unspooling again.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 10: There are some horrific scenes that the military members have to go through. That's just war, and sometimes you can't get ahead of them. And they're still One of my marines called in and he's telling his buddies goodbye after spending over probably two months at the healthcare in house in the hospital, and the senior leader says, hang on I'm going to get this R major on the phone. He says, no, he'll stop me, and then hung up the phone. Oh god, they are determined, right, It's just the weight becomes so heavy and so really it's early identification and getting ahead of this so you can move it away before it's a millstone where they believe it cannot be right.
Speaker 1: Something like forty percent of the veterans comming EXSUTI that under care of a VA physician, and that's that's frightening. But again nine eight eight plus one is the number regardless of where you are. But again it's Steve Belso, Claremont County Veteran Service Commission on lease a listed of course of the TV. Thanks so much for this uh and update and and just getting the word out to help people. Thank I appreciate it. Thank you, thanks for having us.
Speaker 4: So if you're a veteran listening, your life matters, it does does.
Speaker 1: Thanks again, appreciate you. Scott's Loan Show continues seven hundred wo The weekends coming on and you need to make the most of it. Where to go and what to do. She has the tips and insight to help you make it a super weekend. So listen up. This is the Local Loop with Ali Martin on seven hundred.
Speaker 9: W l W.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes we are, but yes we're bad. I'm back. Feel here, feel old Scooter, Scott.
Speaker 11: I'm calling you, Scooter.
Speaker 1: Scott, scooter and crutches. I got it all going on.
Speaker 11: You shoulder your legs, man, aren't you? Okay? That is the question.
Speaker 1: Well, when you get to my advanced stage, after all the athletic stuff you've done in your life, I'm going to tell you something. It gets fun. You're just so all the osteothritis stuff just yeah, when you get in the wrong side of fifty, it's it all starts on. But you know what far worse things I could have. I'm blessed.
Speaker 11: Are you feeling better though?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, making small improvement stuff like that. So foot still hurts a little bit, but I've got my giant protective buddhan and my crutches. Some hobbling all over.
Speaker 9: Do you feel like you're getting pity when you're walking around and hobbling around?
Speaker 11: Like do people actually pay attention to you? And like, oh, let's open the.
Speaker 1: Door around here? Are you kidding?
Speaker 12: Okay, I'm just curious. Maybe there could be something around here, it's what's your problem? They're gonna catch what I have. Like, it's not communical bullets.
Speaker 11: This is bad. This just makes you grundier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's all good though.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I come back not only to you, but a very special guest.
Speaker 9: Yes, Rogers brought into special guest, washed up meteorologist.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: You might have heard his voice before on the station several times, whether it's talking about the weather or talking about whiskey.
Speaker 11: Friend Brandon about that this battery died this morning. So part of the reason.
Speaker 1: Why, Okay, I thought there was a euphemism for something. Yeah, I got a doctor gets just a medicine from that. But happy to be here. Forecast looks good this weekend.
Speaker 11: Huh.
Speaker 1: Sure doesn't here about that anymore now. So yeah, you you and I've had you on before in the past and talking about where where weather intercedes with bourbon so dusk whiskey weather, and people go, how the hell.
Speaker 13: Has that come together? They're parallel, right. Without the weather, you don't have the whiskey. If you don't have that heat cycling, you don't have the coloring of the whiskey, you don't have the aging of the whiskey.
Speaker 1: It's just clear liquid in a barrel. Is that why they don't make whiskey in Arizona? They do make it, it's just not how good the weather never changes there like San Diego. It's always a contro to staff for sure. I suppose yeh. It's hot and up and down.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's what makes it good the state.
Speaker 1: So the higher the greater temperature disparity in weather cycles, the better the bourbon, you would think. So not always.
Speaker 13: It's there's a whole lot of different factors, but the weather does have a big impact in it, like that with the the I call it heat cycle. Some people will just call it heat seasons. But the more in and out of the barrel that you can get between the heat and cold cycles, the better the whiskey.
Speaker 1: I love the science of that too. That's just fascinating to me. Like you, Jefferson's ocean is gimmicky, but you think about it like that's really interesting because it's traveling in a boat around the words, getting sloshed around for a year, and it's going to different climates and stuff like that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you're not only adding the climate element, you're also adding the physical movement.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so it's slashing stuff around and there, just like.
Speaker 13: That Metallica one where they're doing that music. They're playing music through the entire ricout to let the vibrations create the issues in the barrels that bring the whiskey in.
Speaker 1: And out right. That could be a gimmick too.
Speaker 9: But yeah, the Metallica whiskey was not good, respectfully on marketing.
Speaker 1: She said it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it was not good.
Speaker 9: Respect You missed out because you were I think you were undergoing surgery at that time. We were at Kentucky Bourbon Festival too. I had a chance. I actually have it on my list. Here is a couple whiskey whiskey picks of the week.
Speaker 11: Okay, I guess we can just start.
Speaker 1: Why don't we start with that.
Speaker 11: Let's start with that.
Speaker 1: Let's jump right so again Zally Martin local Loop brandes spinners here and does whiskey Weather and I've talked about everything to eat, se do, and especially drink this weekend in Cincinnati. Believe me, if you're going down to the Bengals game, you need to start drinking now.
Speaker 11: Right now.
Speaker 9: And if you want to pick up a bottle of something a little different, this is my whiskey pick of the week. It's Burton James. Have you ever heard of Burton James.
Speaker 1: I think there's like a bass player for like deep purple, wasn't it.
Speaker 9: Now he did play baseball, all right, not a bass player. So down at Kentucky Bourbon Festival, which happens in Bartstown every year, really fun time. I mean dozens and dozens of distilleries.
Speaker 11: You have five sixty five.
Speaker 9: You have your big distilleries, but then you also have your fun little craft distilleries and that's usually where those hidden gems are. And one of the best things do is try to, you know, go around talk to the owners and I hopefully maybe find a pick that you would be pleasantly surprised. Okay, this one out of came out of left field, U pun intended. Is Burton James, as I said, And the foundation in the background of this is it's based off of a great grandfather, but more importantly at professional baseball player named Burton James, and the whole brand around it is based on baseball.
Speaker 11: So the branding, the labeling, it's cool.
Speaker 9: The labeling itself has you know that old school basically like a Wrigleyville scoreboard.
Speaker 1: Yes, almost like a newspaper.
Speaker 9: Cool, all right, really cool, And they have a weeded, a ten year weeded, which I was so pleasantly surprised about.
Speaker 11: They have two, they have a one o seven and they have one eleven.
Speaker 9: I walked away with the one oh seven and I was not expecting I wasn't expecting anything from it, but it was I one came out of left field. And if you have a chance to check it out, it's called Burton James b U R T O N James.
Speaker 1: All right, so people here wheeded bourbon and they think I was wheat.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's one of the ingredients. So in order for it to a just all wheat, no, in order to be awful. In order for it to be a bourbon, it has to be at least fifty one percent corn. So when they say it's a weeded bourbon, it's the second highest ingredient within that mash bill. So if it's fifty one percent corn, you maybe have forty five percent wheat, and then the rest is made up of malted barley or whatever kind of grain. Usually they deal with multed barley. I think this one is fifty one percent corner wheat, four percent multed barley.
Speaker 1: All right, for those who don't know, that does what to the play the flavor of profile wheat sweet rye a little spicy.
Speaker 11: So yeah, this is a little bit more in the sweeter end.
Speaker 9: I think we'd say the one O seven, the one that I walked away with has I mean you've tasted as well, Brandon, but I feel like it has almost like a marshmallowy, creamy tone to it. And then we both were discussing it almost kind of also has it starts with a little bit of that like McDonald's apple apple pie crust.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, it's really it's quite lovely.
Speaker 1: Why don't they start making their shakes for that?
Speaker 12: Yeah, if it's that's the trick, it doesn't work.
Speaker 1: It doesn't work.
Speaker 11: All right.
Speaker 1: So you're a little little about bourbon today as well. What was going on?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 9: Well, the Donna Schwaben october Fest is happening because you also were out of remission. You were out for the real October Fest. I was so this weekend and you missed it too. We did participate in the g.
Speaker 1: Gamesour couple over here.
Speaker 9: Yeow, the barrel rock steinhoisting racing.
Speaker 11: He came in first.
Speaker 1: I won the competition for second year in a row. I know about that.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 12: The lats on this guy, yo, you smoked everyone on October five.
Speaker 1: I al smoked my thumb. I thought I broke my thumb in the first race. Neither one of you has a slang or some sort of apparatus on like I do. So that's good.
Speaker 11: That's good.
Speaker 9: That's a good start. I thought you might have been walking away with a cast that day though.
Speaker 1: I literally thought I broke my th if I came in here and you were wearing like a sling and because you you injured it in October cast, how'd you break your thumb? I rolling a barrel? I'm just stupid. You on the other hand's like, wait, doing what rolling the barrel? And was the hold the beer mug for an hour?
Speaker 11: Racing against all the other local journalists.
Speaker 1: Got my stein? Yeah, the athleticism, journalism whatever it was?
Speaker 11: Well, yeah, so he won that.
Speaker 9: I came in second for the stein hoisting race, quite proud of myself.
Speaker 11: There and thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 9: Practice, and we might as well just do it again because, as I said, the Donna Schwab in October Fest, the thirty third anniversary and this is the one over in Cole Rain Township. It's happening today, tomorrow and Sunday. Pretty much an old day thing. Admissions five bucks, kids are free. There are shuttles that you know, we'll take it from Spot A to Spot B. And this is this is the only October Fest that's actually in October.
Speaker 11: Yeah, ground the most authentic because of it.
Speaker 1: I think the fact that you had the grounds that are dedicated to that annual event. Yeah, that's what it's there for in Cold Race.
Speaker 9: Every single year. The thirty third. So here we go and over thirty five beers on draft. So of course you're gonna have your class at october Fest beers. You're half of Vison and you'll have a hofsprow House and some of those big names there.
Speaker 1: Great weather for it too, Oh perfect, very perfect. Right, that's what they tell me. All the food.
Speaker 11: Is the guy who hasn't looked at them.
Speaker 1: There was a cue for the guy for them with a meteorology degree and certificates to come in and like, yeah, looks nice.
Speaker 13: I retired on the twenty seven of the main I think I've looked at the weather twice.
Speaker 11: Yeah, what I say is useless now yeah, I have absolutely not.
Speaker 13: I can give you that forecast, not the forecast. Oh very clever.
Speaker 1: All right. So anyway, that's going on all this weekend.
Speaker 9: This is happening, and you can if you do want to participate in any sort of competition, Brandon, this might be your thing. You could do a log song contest because they're going to have that there as part of their entertainment.
Speaker 1: So is that one that the log is like up in the air and you got to cut it down and let it fall. Have you seen those? No, you don't need to there's no climent. They've got to cut it down and it's got to fall.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, yeah. I thought was like, just how fast you can cut through the tree?
Speaker 1: You ever watch that on like ESPN eight on THEO or something like that, where that's the the it's stres incredible, like the steel chainsaw.
Speaker 11: Let's move a plane because you're like what.
Speaker 1: No, No, they climb. No, literally, the climb like a telephone pole. You got to cut the in certain sections.
Speaker 11: But they always do.
Speaker 9: What I'm saying is like they just do the weirdest competitions.
Speaker 1: I watch it and go I've not sit there for like a good half hour watching it. They're actually pretty cool waiting for football or one of those watching You're still treating.
Speaker 12: Sucked down a hole watching this stuff and go and then my mind goes, so people are training for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cornhole is now. So we were at Cartridge Brewing. This is a while ago, and I must have been like cornhole league night. So they have indoor corn hoole there and they're dudes in jerseys and one dude rolls in and I'm not kidding you, like you know how the howlers have like three a bag with the three bulls. He has a suitcase like it's corn hole. He's got the towing it's got wheels on it. Like, what what is it bringing in your cornhole bag?
Speaker 13: So when you say uniform, walk in like a NASCAR driver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, thank you. Yes. I don't know if there were any good but how many bags do you bring? Like what what's the strategy with your carnhole bag?
Speaker 9: I don't know, pop for holy crap, colonels.
Speaker 1: And corner against the or hole redenbacker team. Yeah bad? You have three year olds have personal trainers for you know, for t ball and stuff like that. Just to get a little over the top and you're not a professional.
Speaker 9: But these days you could make money off of I had an uber the other day where he was a professional bowler and he does it most of the year.
Speaker 11: I'm like, good for you.
Speaker 1: If you can make money off of absolutely at a bar on a Wednesday night, people are making money off playing cornhole. But you know, you got aspire to something. God bless you. It is.
Speaker 9: What else happened anyway, Well, let's talk about a fault and yards because we're talking about the weather and how nice it is with it being I personally think the best coffee shop in town for the fall. Why because not only it has this like yes, this is the coffee grape, but it has this incredible patio where there's an awning, there's a hangover, and then you can have there's fans and you can.
Speaker 11: Get a hangover to wish. We will get you.
Speaker 9: They have huge TVs where you can watch any sports that you want. Because we're speaking from experience, because we have a Cubs fan sitting right next to.
Speaker 1: Us were we watched the game last night.
Speaker 11: Oh my gosh, but they have probably the.
Speaker 1: Best Last night, Yeah, you want.
Speaker 11: To talk about you were stressed. I was stressed out watching you.
Speaker 1: Was that a strike was terrible? Yeah, you were stressing. I cannot be called that a strike.
Speaker 11: Do you stress out, Scott when you watch games? Do you pace?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, but I roll? Do you get like the scooter on the setting to go crawling? Crawling Lunnie.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 9: But Fulton Yards it's off of Riverside Dry which I did not mention, more like right on the river on.
Speaker 11: The east side.
Speaker 9: And it's a killer coffee shop, as I said, but also is a great bar and incredible espresso martinis. They're doing this pumpkin spice espresso martini right now. But they also have a full lineup of fall cocktails that are incredible. Everything from a spiced apple old fashion. We had that yesterday, so good autumn in New York. It's Mezcal lemon simple syrup hell fire bidders floated with a little red wine and then they do a chill shy teeny So it's Molly Wollman Cincinnati gin from Northern Row lemon mint and then chai.
Speaker 11: For the syrup.
Speaker 9: It is so good, So best fall cocktail lineup that I've seen in a while.
Speaker 11: And they do trivia on.
Speaker 9: Thuse days and it's off of Riverside Drive more on the east side, so by Eli's Barbecue, and then right next door is a place called high Mark.
Speaker 11: Also really really good if you're looking for.
Speaker 1: It's like a high melt. Is that what they called it?
Speaker 11: High melt?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 11: And killer good Yeah, good wing.
Speaker 1: Really good good good shells of soccer for an espresso martini and a pumpkin spice espresso martini sheeting.
Speaker 13: The espresso like some of these places, like we've gottenness martini in there, but like espresso.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like this they're a coffee shop.
Speaker 11: First.
Speaker 1: Better if you're gonna have your coffee shop, you better have a good espresso martini if you're doing that.
Speaker 9: And also understanding the difference between the Bailey's and Kolula ratio, because here's the thing, as I've realized.
Speaker 11: I'm a Colulah girly, not a baby like the ba.
Speaker 9: Splash because the Bailey's is what makes it extra creamy.
Speaker 1: Bailey's out of a shoe.
Speaker 11: Have you seen Bailey's really close?
Speaker 1: I feel like there's some inside weird relationships stuff going on.
Speaker 11: Have you ever seen that bit I have?
Speaker 1: When we're done, look up, check that out. And we are by the way, Brent's been good, see you, buddy. Check out, Subscribe to Whiskey Weather and Alie Martin. It's a local loop. What to do, eat, drink, see in the Natty this weekend. It's a beautiful weekend, fo getting out to enjoy yourself. Appreciate you dropping by. Good to see you. Matt all right, got to get news on the way. Willie follows after. I don't know it was a red round up or Dan Horde. We'll find out together here I know. Do we do have Bengals football this weekend? We have you see Bearcat football tomorrow and the Bengals here against the Detroit Lions. Bengals ten point dogs in this one. Buckle up, baby, home of the best. Bengals covered seven hundred WWT since now